Speaker 1: Hello, this is the Itchy and Bitchy Podcast because being itchy is bitchy and our medical system sucks. I'm doctor Keith Nolica, a vetnary, allergist and dermatologist.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen Miller, a doctor of nursing practice and a Q Care nurse practitioner.
Speaker 1: Send us your questions at ask at itch not dot com. We love you, but we're not your doctors. The information we discuss is not direct medical advice. Please talk to your provider who is the expert on your care. The Itchy and Bchi Podcast is sponsored by doc Itchy Medical Pets supplements designed to optimize your pet's health with the latest veterinary medical research. Visit docichi dot com or find us on Amazon and please click that follow button and send us a quest question at ask at itchnot dot com. Thanks welcome back, and I hope this finds you well. How are you doing, Doc?
Speaker 2: I'm good. I hope everyone's good. It's a rainy day here in Knoxville.
Speaker 1: All right, So this episode is titled Menopause Science, the hormone dumpster Fire and pituitary Chaos. Explain so simple even a husband can understand, and that may sound a little derogatory, but I realized after talking to Karen, who's taught me so much, Thank you very much, Karen, and doing an episode on menopause, that I actually didn't really understand menopause. And I'm even a veterinarian. I did a master's which turned out at Auburn University to be in endochronology, just because that's what was their expertise. But so I thought today that we would try to explain menopause and I educate myself in the process. And one of the couple other things that kind of stimulated this was my realization that I didn't quite understand, and being embarrassed to tell Karen that I didn't quite understand. And then I saw this really great We try to be trendy and pay attention to social trends, but there was this really cute Facebook post with this teenage boy and his mom, and the teenage boy was talking about I think this was all AI generated, but if they were actors, kudos to you. But the teenage boy was explaining how the mom was going through cougar puberty, and so cougar is the slang is for sort of a semi aggressive woman who's self empowered and willing to date younger men and out and about in the world. And so, but that really funny thing was basically how menopause is like puberty, and I started thinking that, you know, that actually is probably pretty accurate. So we clinically talk about medical issues, and what we deal with clinically predominantly is single hormone deficits, so like low thyroid and then we do a thyroid test and supplement the thyroid hormones.
Speaker 2: Is that correct, Stephen, Yeah, I mean in medicine we do certainly hormone replacement therapy on many levels, not just estrogen or progesterone, but things like thyroid hormone and testosterone and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's so clinically though, it's very much sort of a single item kind of concept. So the way the system works. And I really like Jesus for a variety of reasons, but one of the reasons I like Jesus is that he told a lot of stories and parables to make things very simple, and so, like the story of the mustard seed, a little bitty problem can turn into a great big issue. And so that's kind of where we're headed with this. So I'm going to try to explain the whole pat tuitu a teary hormone access in the frame of your toilet, And that sounds really crazy. Hold sick with me, doc here, but and you're gonna check fact check me as we go along. But I think this will make sense even though it sounds really really crazy. So there are a lot of different terms and many many many names, and various hormones and pre hormones that are involved in this. So they have names like act H and TSH and prolactin and all of these kinds of things. And if you want us to do a whole episode on what the terms mean and the actual names, we can do that send this comment at ask at itchna dot com. But we're going to ignore all the big words for now. So the peturitary releases all of these hormones and then they affect various glands in your body, your testicles, your ovaries, your adrenal glands, and there's this big cycle. But the way that it really works is kind of like your toilet. So you have a toilet bowl and then a tank of water which represents the hormones and so when you flush your toilet, you get a surge of water, you get a surge of hormones, and most of these are on a circadian rhythm, So like when you sleep, a lot of hormones get released to help kids grow and help you your brain regenerate and all of these good things. So daytime, nighttime, even seasonal in animals. So that's kind of the water tank. But then when your hormones are low, the pituitary gland in your brain, just a little BITDP sized thing in the base of your brain release recognizes that. So it's like the flute valve in your toilet that the water goes down and it says, oh, we need more water, and it the pituitary gland fills, turns on and starts filling up the hormones, and so your brain then sends signals to the glands the test testicles, ovaries, adrenal glands to start producing more hormone and then there's a negative feedback loop that the when the water gets high enough, the float valve recognizes that and it turns off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the pituitary gland starts to produce stimulating hormones, and that's the s in many are releasing hormones, so they're pre hormones.
Speaker 1: That's Sh'S thyroid stimulating hormone and that comes from the petuitary.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and so that technically is considered sort of this feedback loop, and that's why it's called the petuitary axis.
Speaker 1: And so the body says we need more hormones, the petuitary says, okay, well this is how you make more hormones, and it goes and it says how to make the hormones, and then the glands make more hormones. So but the whole system very simple. So toilet more water, the petuitary produces more water, you flesh, get the cycles. All of that makes sense. Imagine if you have fifteen toilets all lined up in a row and they're all interconnected, and that's actually what the hormone system and petuitary gland is doing in our bodies.
Speaker 2: Yes, So there's five different axes, and without getting too thick in the weeds here, the thyed axis, the adrenal axis, the gunadal axis, the growth hormone axis, and prolactin axis, and all of those axes help control varying hormone levels throughout the body.
Speaker 1: So what happens during menopause and why this is such a crazy time, and why it actually is pretty fitting to compare it to puberty. So this cougar puberty little Facebook post actually was pretty clever. Is that menopause is not like a program stop sign. So in animals, when they cycle through estrus and fertility periods, it's a very organized stop sign kind of event and then it can restart. What menopause is is this chaotic, crazy situation where the ovaries basically burn out and they stop producing the estrogen and the progestine, which provide the negative feedback to the pituitary gland, and so the pituitary gland goes crazy producing all of these pre hormones, which then stimulate all of the other glands in the body. And it's like you're toilets overflowing and going crazy because the float valve is broken. But in addition, it's all five of these access so all fifteen toilets in are connected and it's all going crazy, and it's this giant dumpster fire of hormone imbalance, and the protuitary is trying to get the body to make more, but the body doesn't have more to make and it's just insane. So that's what menopause is. We're going to take a break here and we're going to be back and we're going to talk about the four other medical conditions where the same kind of crazy dumpster fire and hormone chaos can occur. So we'll be right back right, we're back, and we're going to talk about the dumpster fire of menopause. But actually there are four events that happen in our lifetime that are similar where the peituitary gland and the bodies glands like the testicles, ovariase, adrenal glands are just totally going crazy. So menopause is one we talked about that now it's not an organized stop sign, it's just total pituitary hormone chaos. The other situations are true puberty. So we've all most of us, I guess listeners have gone through puberty, and we can remember we've watched our teenagers go through puberty. And it's another one of these times where the peturitary gland is secreting huge amounts of hormones to get the body to do all sorts of different things. So it's producing estrogen's progestins testosterone, but it's also precing growth hormone. The prolactin controls the circadian rhythms. We have cortisol levels that are being increased, and so you can imagine all of these fifteen toilets connected and the body is trying to regulate them to get your body as a child to mature into an adult and become sexually functional. So that's a really really complex period and a lot of chaos going through and it really is pretty similar to menopause. So if you think about increased hair growth is happening, you think about mucous membrane is changing, you think about skin pigment occurring, skin thickness, flakiness, oil secretions in the skin, it's just a turmoil. So the other couple of situations are sleep disorders. So if you're not getting enough sleep, that's when a lot of hormones are released and a lot of pituitary activity happens due to the circadian rhythm, and prolactin may regulate a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think it's important to point out melatonin is produced by the pineal gland, which is in the center of the brain, and then the pituitary gland does interact with melatonin in that it interacts with the circadian rhythms and hormone influences sleep wake cycles, which is influenced by growth hormone actchtsaging the gonadotropins. So there is definite interaction between the pituitary gland and melatonin that's produced by the pineal gland.
Speaker 1: And that's why you'll hear a lot about taking melatonin to improve sleep, which then improves hormone balance. And we have a condition in dogs called geriatric hormone imbalance that has melotonin sensitivity, and so melatonin can help sort of stabilize a lot of these hormone axes. It doesn't really replace deficient hormones, but it just makes the whole system kind of wake up and function a little bit more normally. And then the fourth one is aging. So as we age, all of our hormones tend to change. And part of that is like with menopause, where they max, the ovaries may burn out and not be able to produce the hormones, which messes up the whole feedback loop and the pituitary gland goes crazy. But all of the hormones tend to kind of slow down as we age, and that causes a lot of dysregulation, and that's starting to be recognized now in dogs with this geriatric hormone imbalance that responds to melatonin every evening. So it's kind of this weird rejuvenating kind of effect that we see in dogs. Is that happening in people where older people are responding to melatonin beneficially?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, and certainly there are certain forms of it, and there's a lot of science that has gone into levels of oral melatonin that people should and should not take. So I always encourage people to discuss these issues with their provider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are not your doctors. Please talk to your provider. So that's sort of the controversy between high dose melatonin and low dose melatonin. We use high dose melatonin, but they can't tell us if they're uncomfortable or have insomnia or a variety of things like that. So humans may be much more sensitive to some of the side effects. The nice thing about melatonin is that there's really not a toxic dose in dogs at least. Definitely check with your provider about the human issues if you're going to take any supplements. Again, we're not your doctors. So we're going to take a break here and we'll be back and talk about some of the treatments that we can do for these disorders. Again, the four big disorders we talked about, menopauses the starting place for this chaos of fifteen toilets all interconnected that are overflowing, and that's the pituitary gland and the body's glands. And then we have real puberty and teenagers, we have aging and sleep disorders. So we'll be back in a second and I'll talk about what maybe we can do about some of those. All right, we're back, and I hope you're still with us. So we're going to talk about some possible easy therapies. Really nothing prescription at this point, although Stephen may want to add some things. But so, the four disorders that cause the fifteen toilets to overflow in the pituitary hormone axis dumpster fire are menopause, puberty, aging, and sleep disorders. So what do you want to talk about first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we can we can address the sleep disorder pee certainly. I think sleep apnea contributes to so many issues, including heart a rhythmias and many cardiovascular issues as well as aging. Sleep's very important for our bodies to heal, and so I think it's important for people to have a sleep regimen that's been set for, like this sleep hygiene which we've talked about in another episode, where people begin to prepare for sleep at nine, turn off stimulants, turn off their computers and their iPhones, and turn the lights down in the house.
Speaker 1: And I think if there's one single thing that I could say makes a huge difference having kids and teenagers and even with myself, is really get rid of the smartphone and the tablet, Like having those in the bedroom really affects your sleep and sort of this scheduled relaxation process getting ready to go to sleep is also really important. And part of that needs to be to get rid of the smart devices and get off of social media and stop dooms growing and brain rot and get your body ready to have a good night sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it is vital to avoid caffeine and stimulants after about five pm.
Speaker 1: Any chocolate or any caffeine after four pm.
Speaker 2: Yeah zero, and sort of get the body prepared for sleep. So I think that's the sleep hygiene piece. Making sure that your bedrooms put together in a way that's conducive to quietness and peacefulness and darkness.
Speaker 1: So how much do you think melatonin helps? So? And dogs melatonin really doesn't seem to make them sleepy at all, but they sleep twenty hours a day, so it's hard to know. Does melatonin actually help sleep in people or is it working in a different.
Speaker 2: No, it helps people sleep and certain the issue is and there are lots of issues around melatonin. A lot of people overplace their melatonin, which then suppresses their internal production of melotone.
Speaker 1: What do you mean overplaced?
Speaker 2: Taking thirty milligrams of melatonin at night as opposed to starting off with lower doses that would just stimulate melatonin production in your body, and so you can suppress melatonin production and then that.
Speaker 1: Causes issues as well.
Speaker 2: You have to retrain your body to sort of get all that worked out. So, but melatonin is very effective. I think people historically have either taken too little or taken too much and not had good results based upon their lack of knowledge around melatonin utilizations.
Speaker 1: Okay, so definitely talk to your provider about that. Also, sleep apnea, that's something that you would talk to your provider and get a sleep study and medically. You know, people can die with sleep apnea, so that can be a really serious medical issue.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think too people believe sleep apnea is only obstructive sleep apnea, and I think it's important to sort of help our audience understand that they're varying forms of sleep apnea that are treated very differently. So some folks have central sleep apnea.
Speaker 1: Which is like a brain neurologic nerve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean, I think it's really really important that if you have symptoms of sleep apnea. There there's a screening tool called the stop bang which you can find anywhere online and take it and if you achieve certain number of points on that, then certainly consulting with your provider to get a sleep evaluation.
Speaker 1: Okay. Aging also kind of relates, So as we age with a sleep app near you're typically we gain weight. At least I've gained a fair amount of weight, and so you know that may be part of the issue. But as we age, all of our hormones tend to slowly decrease, and it's almost just kind of like the body's wearing out. But it also relates to other things. So as we age, we stop exercising as much, we don't move around as much, we become more sedentary, we definitely can gain weight, and our whole metabolism, fatty liver syndrome, a lot of those things can happen as well. And then, like I said, in the dogs, we're recognizing this geriatric hormone imbalance that we don't really have a specific disorder, but we give a melotone and they seem to kind of rejuvenate a little bit. So what would be some simple aging things exerc mobile.
Speaker 2: So in humans, the reduction of growth hormone is kind of referred to as somematopause, sort of like menopause, but somematopause.
Speaker 1: Somatotropin is like growth hormone, and.
Speaker 2: So somatopause which is decreasing growth hormone and IGF it leads to things like reduction in muscle mass, increasing body fat, low energy, decreased bone density, and reduced exercise tolerance.
Speaker 1: And that sounds like aging.
Speaker 2: It sounds like aging because it is aging, and so certainly there are many things we can do to offset that, like exercise, a routine exercise regimen, you know, five to seven days a week. If some form of aerobic and muscle resistance training.
Speaker 1: Get up and Move. Used to do this Facebook post where it was get up and Move. It was even just parking at the end of the parking lot so you would walk more steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did that in an effort to encourage people, for the patients and friends to continue to push it. Even though you're tired, you need to move, and so daily ways to incorporate more movement would be to part further away from the building, take the steps instead of the elevator, you know, lifting objects to use your upper body muscles.
Speaker 1: Certainly, I think even simple nutrition can play a big role. So as we get older and exercise less gain weight than just better nutrition pain attention to it. Yes, what we're putting in our.
Speaker 2: Bodies low fat and then certainly higher protein intakes. So in order for our bodies to build muscle, we need good protein intake, and so protein really becomes vital to us as we age.
Speaker 1: All right, So the other issues are than puberty, and there's not much that we can actually do to help puberty other than get through it. But definitely mental health is important during puberty. So it's a crazy time young people, you know, they're not wise and worldly like some of this older people, and so you know, understanding counseling, but also for them, you know, make sure that they're having really good sleep, that they're prepared for sleep, get rid of those iPads and smartphones, you know, really even prepare them. With my daughter, we were really good about trying to set up a pre bedtime sort of events, even starting as a young child, with that continued into her teenage years, sort of getting this relaxation schedule, getting ready to go to sleep. So that can be really important for teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then on the other end of the spectrum, you've got things as we human beings age, you get a reductions in LH and FSAH, the gonautotropic hormones, and so then people suffer side effects from rectile dysfunction, infertility, low energy level, and so certainly there are some HRT options for those things as we as we get.
Speaker 1: Also hormone replacement therapy. So that's more of the menopause, which is the next kind of section, the last of the four. So in menopause again it's that the big problem is not just that you run out of estrogen, but that you run out of estrogen progesterones LHFSH and then that signals the pituitary to produce more pre hormones and the whole system goes crazy, so your fifteen toilets start overflowing. So some of the therapies for that is one just recognizing that this isn't just a behavioral mental disorder of older women. That's kind of where a lot of medicine used to be for way too long, and so now with hormone replacement therapy, it really can help to just provide some of the hormones like estrogen that reverse some of these negative symptoms like mucous membran drying, some of the sleep disorders, erectile dysfunctions as men age and have kind of the menopause man version that can happen as well. But what else could women do with menopause.
Speaker 2: That would be well, I mean, I certainly think that Karen Nicol, who initiated this podcast years ago, would be the expert and certainly has had many episodes on HRT and of course on HRT.
Speaker 1: So she has two hundred and seventeen episodes and they're all at the website which is Itchy andbitchi dot com So if you want to hear the expert actually talk in an expertise rather than a toilet metaphor or parable, that's your source.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it comes to hormone replacement therapy, it is such a complex topic, a complex treatment plan and individualized treatment plan, and certainly I think, can you know, having consultation with an expert talk just in hormones becomes something that I think is extremely beneficial.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to take another break, and when we come back, we're going to do our legit or bullshit section, So we're going to be talking about microplastics. Stick with us, all right, we're back, and this is the legit or bullshit section where we have some interesting medical science facts and we try to determine if this is something that's real or if this is really just insane. So are you ready, doctor Miller? Yeah, okay, So here we go. So this is about microplastics. So this actually topic came up again. We try to be trendy and stick with the times here. So we were at a dinner event with our dearest friends. I'll leave all the names out, but you know who you are, and they are very smart, educated, curious people, and it turns out that one of our guy friends a straight guy, which will become important in the future in the story, but was horrified to learn during the day that microplastics were found in penile tissue in men. So is that real? Stock?
Speaker 2: It is? It is, and certainly, you know, we are learning more and more there's emerging research and emerging data on this particular target topic. There was a twenty twenty four study that was done looking at microplastics in the tissue of men undergoing surgery for a rectile dysfunction. Okay, well, they found polyethylene, tetraphalite, and polypropylene in erectile tissue. And so microplastics or nanoplastics can enter the body through food and water, air inhalation, packaging material, synthetic fibers, and in very very tiny particles nanoplastics they enter through the intestinal barriers, the lung tissues, and so that's leak like that.
Speaker 1: Kind of situation, which we'll have other episodes on. So what I found really funny about the story, just to kind of give you the details, is that all of the straight men, so we're two gay men here, and I think that kind of made things on our side a little bit less panicky, but anyway, they were horrified that they may have microplastics in their penis, let alone that they've been found in placentas and female ovaries and brain tissue. But for some reason this penile microplastic thing. The whole evening revolved around the horrible finding of microplastics in their penis.
Speaker 2: So that was just I do want to make sure the audience understands these are emerging evidence. These are not huge randomness trials. So it's important to know that the current clinical evidence is based upon very small studies. Small sample size. Detection methods are not consistent. They vary what is considered normal.
Speaker 1: We don't know. So, doctor Miller, what organ has the highest And I don't want you to look this up before I ask you? So what organ in the body has been identified to have the highest micro plastic So I'm going to give you some options. So is it the penis or the placenta which I mentioned before? Would it be the kidney, the liver, or the brain? So you have several options there. What do you think I would pick the liver? Yeah, and that makes sense because the liver normally filters out toxins and does a lot of really good stuff for us, the cytochrome P four fifty enzyme pathway, all of that really good stuff. It turns out it's the brain. The brain has twenty times more level of microplastic than the liver or the kidney. So that's you know, again, this comes back to our dear friend that was really worried about the microplastic and their penis rather than their brain, and their brain has twenty times more. So I think Karen would appreciate the sarcasm in that that the men would of course be worried about their sexual organs more than their neurologic cognitive organs. Yeah. So then the last question here is there's all sorts of craziness and part of this whole discussion about having microplastics in your organs and your penis specifically is oh my gosh, what is it going to do? Is my junk going to fall off? And so does do these microplastics cause disorders like dementia, a rectile dysfunction, inflammation in the body.
Speaker 2: So again, as I said earlier, the issue comes down to we're not sure because the studies are not consistent. There's small sample size in this that We're not sure what the clinical outcome becomes, but we do know that these microplastics are plastics cause things like oxidative stress and inflammation and that type of thing. So there may be some correlation with autoimmune issues or whatever. We just don't really know.
Speaker 1: And this gets back to previous discussions we've had about the medical system with causation versus correlation, that just because we have some plastics in our brain and penis doesn't absolutely mean that they cause disease, and so we do need more studies, We need more information. And it sounds horrible to have plastics in your body. I think we all don't want plastics in our body. But it's also wrong to assume that they're immediately going to kill us based on a TikTok, Facebook or social media post as well.
Speaker 2: I think we need a valid evidence that's been peer reviewed and you know, sample size bigger to represent represent population impact and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So I would say this microplastic thing is both legit and bullshit. So it's a mixture of both. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would call it bullshit. I think I think it's it could be legit. It's it's still sort of questionable what what we know it's there, so again it comes down to what what's the clinical impact?
Speaker 1: All right, So that ends this podcast and thank you guys for sticking around and listening to us. Please click that follow button and we really really do like some questions, so email us at the ask at itchnot dot com. Thanks, stay well and goodbye. Thank you for joining us. This is the Itchy and Itchy podcast and please click that follow button and send us a question at ask at itchnot dot com. Thanks