Speaker 1: I have to ask you a question here, Bulky, are you are you a Ted Lasso fan? Did you have Apple tea? I do not, And I heard it's great, never watched it, Yeah, I have never seen it either, And I'm always told they're like, Ben, I don't know if you would like this movie. It's very happy, go lucky, It's very it lifts your spirit up. You walk away from it smiling every time you see it. And I'm like, well, I don't know what that says you think about me, but but I might like something like that here. And I found myself, having never seen ted Lasso the show, watching Hail Mary with Ryan Gosling yesterday at the theater, being like, this is like if ted Lasso were in space, because I felt that to be two and a half hours of just like very uplifting, an inspirational movie. Not the kind of thing I'm gonna sound cold hearted, not the kind of thing that I typically partaken. But it was kind of a nice change of pace for me seeing something that I think I normally wouldn't traditionally see in the theaters.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't see this in the theater, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think if we didn't I.
Speaker 2: Think with anything space you have to see in the theater, you know.
Speaker 1: It was worth seeing in theater. Yeah, absolutely, And I actually I want to talk about that a little bit with you over the course of this show here. But I do have to say I think just the general plot, there were moments and we'll get into it here, but I felt like the first hour and a half of the movie they didn't take as advantage of how beautiful this movie could look compared to what they did for the last hour there where I just thought we really saw some truly great spectacles. Was that green screen or was that by design?
Speaker 2: Though you know, maybe you know there there could have been a crescendo aspect of that, you know, trying to because it was it was nonlinear storytelling to an extent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for.
Speaker 2: The most part, it was like, you know, even with you have a nonlinear story, it like sort of resolves itself at the at the very end. Sure, we saw it with what the Glen Powell movie we just reviewed, why.
Speaker 1: Can't I think, Yeah, the how to make a Comet I Medica Killing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so ultimately, you know, you ultimately see the last part last, but it went back in time, you know, to to sort of set up the stakes of how serious this was. And I think at that point when you're getting that emotionally involved into it, into this film, and then you see, you know how this thing is going to resolve itself one way or the other here and you know what's at stake, I think just being trapped and immersed in that sort of negative sound emptiness of space, you know, but with him and Rocky trying to like figure this out. I don't know. I I think, like this is two and a half hours. If you're gonna do that for the whole movie, I think it takes away from ultimately the enjoyment of it at the end.
Speaker 1: So towards the end, I'll be honest, and I'm interested what you think about this, because I don't want it to sound like I enjoyed this movie. I don't want to, yeah, like I created it. But I did find myself thinking of Avatar a little bit the first Avatar while watching it, because my main complaint about Avatar was always Pandora is a cool planet and getting to meet the blue people is fine. Probably could have knocked it out in a half an hour instead of an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, there is not a more.
Speaker 1: Action packed part of the movie, and I found myself feeling that way as well. To me, I thought it was a very realistic and not to give too much of the plot away, because based on the trailers, I think this went a route that I didn't necessarily see coming in a lot of ways, him getting to know Rocky, getting to know the alien creature that is put in the trailer there, so not spoiling anything there. It felt very real, like if you met another beam that spoke an entirely different language with no basis to even start.
Speaker 2: It was pretty cool that that they you know, I so initially I think if you're in space and you run into an alien, immediately you you assume hostility, right, I think that'd be my first reaction. But then to like kind of formulate a way for them to communicate was crazy.
Speaker 1: And it felt realistic because I don't know how realistic it was. Well, I mean, he has he's a.
Speaker 2: Ryland Grace, who was the main protagonist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a smart scientist, but his background was like in molecular chemistry or something like They not in like, you know, linguistics or anything like that, where this would have been an easy thing for them.
Speaker 1: To Oh okay, yeah, from that perspective, yes, they have some technology helping them. But I guess I meant more from a there really wasn't a very elongated period about being nervous about being killed, and I think the plot of the movie kind of takes some of that, some of that angst away without saying too much, the threat of death really wasn't an issue. Meeting an alien race in this movie, oh yeah, totally great. Yeah, I see yourself because I'm sitting there. At one point, they connect their ships together in the middle of space and it's this big black tunnel and I'm like, ah my, my horror movie instincts kick in. I'm like, well, cold Day and hell have ever going in that tunnel? There's no scenario. And I was like, well, there's one scenario I would go in that tunnel, and that's that's kind of the scenario that he's living through throughout this entire movie here, and I'm like, ah, you know, this is one of the first times ever that a weird noise happens in a dark, scary place and the character goes to investigate and I'm like, yeah, I probably would do that too. It's not as unrealistic anything else.
Speaker 2: There's something to be said for it. By the way, I don't know if we mentioned this. We're talking about Project Tail Mary, Yeah, Ryan Gosling directed by.
Speaker 1: I think I said that shortly after this last.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked about the directing team of Lord and Miller, who actually handled the directing duties on this. They've done a ton of cool stuff with like the Spider Verse movies, Igo movies, Like they're really talented. Yeah, anyway, I think the the other thing too is I don't do we know how long they it took them to get to where they were going to this sun?
Speaker 1: Do we know how long it took them to get there? Two time periods stick out to me. I heard them say eleven years one time, and a different point in the movie I heard them say a little over four years, So I don't know which one was actually relative.
Speaker 2: So now, granted he was in suspended animation for that, yeah, for the trip there, so while it was a long time, it maybe did not seem like a long time for him. But still the prospect of waking up in space with amnesia not knowing how you got there and and sort of like the as the memories come back to him, we're kind of treated to those memories as well, like we're discovering this what he forgot at the same time we're learning for.
Speaker 1: The first time.
Speaker 2: But I think that goes into it too, like hostile or not. You know, you are trying, you have a mission that you need to do. You're in the middle of outer space, it took you eleven years to get there or whatever, Like why wouldn't you be more open to the idea of this could be my death if I investigate this or if I, you know, approach this alien life form or whatever, you would be more open to that, You would be more willing your your courage would go way up. And you know, from the standpoint of like you're this close to death in space all the time, Yeah, you know, so, why wouldn't you take the chance?
Speaker 1: And you know so?
Speaker 2: I think that's that's where the courage comes from in this aspect.
Speaker 1: Which is a running theme throughout the entire movie, is bravery finding a reason to take that race in these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: And he was not a brave guy initially. In Uh again, at that point in the movie. I don't know who would be if you hear the way the mission is good luck. But I mean even you know, some of these other astronauts that that are super brave or whatever that you know went on this flight voluntarily knowing that they would not be coming back.
Speaker 1: And then you you.
Speaker 2: Have a Gosling's character where he is not a brave guy even on planet Earth. Now he was brave enough, And I would like to see more if you know you're gonna spend two and a half hours on this film, I would have liked to see more exposition when he was sort of laughed out of whatever conference he was at when he brought up this idea that nobody said was was realistic. Or life can exist without water, life can exist without water exactly.
Speaker 1: Carbon's hydrogen, oxygen, things like that. So I would have liked to see that more. That would have set it up.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe it's better that we didn't, because then that would make him more of an endearing character to us.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: If we wanted, Like you know, ultimately we think this this guy's super brave and he's going to outer space to save the world, and then we see these scenes with and I gotta remember her name because I want to bring her up as well, sort of the female lead, and yes, Sondra Huler, Sondra Huler, where she like basically, you know, he tells her I'm not doing this, I can't do this, and we're like, wait, well, you're you're supposed to. This is Project Tail Mary, you have to you know. Like so that kind of caught me off guard a little bit as well. And then ultimately how he ends up going into space. I won't reveal that, but that was interesting too. So we're seeing this guy who, like we are set up for, he is not brave. He is willing to work and help on his expertise, but when the bullets started flying for real, he tried to cut and run.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, and you won't even hate him for it. And that happens because of the non linear aspect. That happens fairly late and exactly yeah, and you're like nah, nah, At least I was. I was like, nah, I get it. I totally get it. And like he is coming at it from the perspective I have. You are a family man, You're thinking about it from that perspective. I'm just thinking about it from a perspective, I want to keep watching movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has no family in this movie. He has no wife, he has no kids. There's no mention of an extended family like of his parents or any brothers or sisters. So he is like and maybe that was the struggle a little bit like I think they There is a line in the mo too where it's like, it's easy to be brave, you just have to find out who you're.
Speaker 1: Being brave for.
Speaker 2: And he didn't, you know, was he being brave for himself? No, it really wasn't. And and then when it came down to saving the world, like he had never been. These are all faceless people that he was saving. So where's the.
Speaker 1: Two names or two movies come to mind? One makes sense thematically, one absolutely does not. The one that does not make sense is Brave Heart. All men died, not all men truly live, and then Armageddon, every man dies. I'm just gonna be able to die saving the world, which is what Ben Affleck says, the exactly things he's going to be. The one I was trying to be a spoiler alert, Yeah, I was trying to justify to myself, like how would I convince myself that this was an acceptable route to take, And I think that probably would have ultimately been my attitude. It's like, well, Ben, you're gonna You're gonna bite it eventually. This is like people are gonna have to memorize your name for tests, for the rest of your for the rest of humanity. Yeah, you can pull this off. That's pretty cool. I think.
Speaker 2: I think it like if it were me, I even having a wife and kids, I think the decisions kind of made for you, you know. I mean, like, listen, you are the only guy on this planet and we will die within thirty years or whatever it is. If you don't do this, Like to me, how do you at that point, and this is what it comes down to, at that point, how do you live out those thirty years knowing that there was a chance you could have saved all these people?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it would weigh on me every single day.
Speaker 2: You probably you'd honestly, you probably end up killing yourself, you know, and then why would you do that when you could have gone to space and it had a meaningful death, you know. So for me, I think it's one of those it's it's what what's the stages of grief.
Speaker 1: They always talk.
Speaker 2: About denial, anger, bargaining or whatever, and like at that point, like you would have had to go through that pretty rapidly and then ultimately decided, Okay, I have to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they touch. There's definitely an element of whistling past the graveyard in this. Like I thought there was some pretty good one liners in a movie that really isn't a comedy. There were a couple of times where my whole theater was cracking up. We don't know that that was a great line. There were a couple of moments I carry out that it was there was whistling. But like, realistically, and this might be a controversial take in your opinion, but the only scene where I think Ryan Gosling was actually acting well was when he is wrestling with the fact in space that he's not going to make it back and kind of talking with Rocky about it. I'd argue buying large. He was almost like when Mark Wahlberg plays a scientist, Like I was like, this is just Ryan Gosling in space, Like this isn't acting. This is He's like he's kind of like a Paul Rudd like fill in the blank. Here like one of those actors, Like if you had put Leo in this movie, I think I would have felt the impending doom of the nature of that chap a lot more than I do with Gossling. There was much more of a lighthearted That's that's why I started the way I did. There's like this lighthearted, care free attitude, well relative somber.
Speaker 2: Plot, and think about the movies that he's in, you know, and then think about the movies that DiCaprio is in, like they're so you had to know, like, Okay, this is the guy from remember the Titans, from the nice Guys, you know, from from all these uh you know.
Speaker 1: I think the heaviest thing he did you remember that. I think it was called Murder by Numbers.
Speaker 2: You remember that film Michael Pitts Andrew Bullock with, Like that's probably the heaviest thing he ever did.
Speaker 1: A drive was super heavy. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And I did like Fracture, which I think I brought up with you that that was a great movie too. But but in that there were these moments of levity where he was like this kind of like this cocky guy and brash or whatever. I love the the then the office style confessionals that he was recording, and Rocky has this supersonic hearing.
Speaker 1: There were many good funny moments.
Speaker 2: But I do think but that's Lord and Miller, man. I mean, that's that's what they do. They're they're so good at at at really bringing bringing these these little moments that break up the drama, break up the intensity. Uh and and you actually, you know, can kind of catch your breath and remember you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, absolutely, And I will say I didn't realize that they were involved in the Spider Verse movies. Yeah, and I realized I'm a grown ass man. But I'm here to tell you right now, if they stick the landing on this third one, that's the best superhero trilogy ever made. Talk about it. There was just an update on that.
Speaker 2: I think next year they're it's coming out beyond the Spider Verse, the third one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was just an update on the news on it. If they are you up to date? Have you seen the first two? Yeah? Like the first one hit me like a ton of bricks. I watched I was like, this is great, and then the second one I thought was better, And like I went in with elevated expectations that felt like they were met. As long as they don't return to the Jedi this third one, there's a good chance because, like you know, the Dark Knight trilogy is fantastic, but there's there's some gripes with Dark Knight rises. Yeah, the first Captain America leaves a bit to be desired. Ye, this one if they stick it. So I didn't realize they were involved in These guys have a talent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. They did that one as well. I also forgot about this, and I love these movies. I don't know how you feel about them, but they did twenty one and twenty two Jump Street, Yeah, which are fantastic.
Speaker 1: I actually use those as two of the last contemporary examples of real comedies. Like when I would say, I was like, guys, like now, comedies are making a bit of a comeback, But I would say, when's the last time? I was like twenty two Jump Street, I think is the last real comedy, right, it has come out in a very long time. But that was especially the first one. The first one killed me.
Speaker 2: This was actually this was the first movie they had directed since twenty two Jump Jump Street.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now they were involved as producers with the Lego movies, the Lego Batman and Lego Ninjago, but they actually did direct the original Lego.
Speaker 1: And even the Lego Like, it takes a lot for me to watch a kid's movie, Like, I've kind of moved on from that stuff. I loved the first Lego and Lego Batman.
Speaker 2: The first Lego movie was awesome. Yeah, like it was so so good, and the Batman one was fine. That was more of like, you know, okay, you ate your vegetables and now you can have.
Speaker 1: Your sugary dessert here. With Lego Batman, it just was you know, I've revised this, but it was a running gag back in Pittsburgh when I saw The Batman back in twenty twenty two. Yeah, like everyone knew how I felt about superhero movies. They're like, well, what'd you think? And I said it was the fourth best Batman movie I've ever seen, and they were like, that's crazy. You didn't like the Batman? Well no, no, But they were like, what were the first three? And I said The Dark Knight Batman nineteen eighty nine, and then I go and fight me the Lego Batman. Oh yeah, but I've since revised and I still have it. Third now I still like just for nostalgia purposes eighty nine. And then Dark Knight, I think is just.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I mean, that's that's about as close to a perfect superhero movie as your.
Speaker 1: Every way Yeah, Dark Knight or The Batman Dark Knight. Yeah, no, you'll just you.
Speaker 2: Know, the Batman was good. The Batman had elements of that. I think the problem, I don't know what what I had the issue I had because I think formulaic, formulaically if that's a word word, yeah, allow it there. They're laid out very similar, the Batman and The Dark Knight, absolutely, and for whatever reason, maybe it's just the charisma of Heath Ledger probably and that's probably the difference, honestly, uh, because Paul Dana was great as the Riddler, right, but at the same time, there was just this incredible mystique of what Ledger did with that character. Maybe that's just obviously the separator between the two.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you when I know we're thoroughly off topic at this point, but I don't hate it. Anyone who who enjoyed that movie read or watch. They made an animated version of it, but check out Hush because that was one of the two comments that inspired it that if they had done Paul Dano like that Riddler, I think there would have been a different attitude towards his character. I thought it was very forgettable.
Speaker 2: Did you see the uh the cut scene with Batman and the Joker and the Batman?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty cool. I wish they left it in. And it was a three hour movie. I would have waited extra three minutes for that.
Speaker 2: Well, they're then they're making a sequel, so I don't know if and I forget the guy's name, he's he's actually a pretty it's.
Speaker 1: It's the the dude who creates the cult in the Eternals. I don't know his name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a Scottish actor. He was he was in the oh, what was the Brendan Gleeson Colin Farrell movie Banshe's of Insurance. Yeah, he was in that as well. And he's in this new movie coming out so I think it's just called Heist or the Heist. It might be a Netflix movie or whatever, but he's in it with it's like a bunch of stars in him. Riley not Ley.
Speaker 1: I'll look it up, but I never would remember it. But yeah, I think like it's very difficult unless you're Jared Leto to mess up being the joker, and it seems like he has a pretty firm grasp on how he's going to take that character and they keep him in shrouded. Check out the deleted scene. If you don't know what you're talking what we're talking about?
Speaker 2: You talking about with with Jared Leto.
Speaker 1: He's the only time that like there was a joker on screen that you're like, well, that wasn't captivating at all.
Speaker 2: Barry, Barry Kilgan, Okay, Cogan, I guess is what it is. But yeah, I don't know if he's signed on for for the for the next band.
Speaker 1: Jared Leto comment offend you. What was the lettle comment?
Speaker 2: I just it was the only time that there was a joker on screen it wasn't captivating.
Speaker 1: You were just like, oh, that was forgettable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a little too cartoonish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it just didn't do anything for me. But Heath Ledger Jack Nicholson even says Romaro Romero in the The Old Bat TV show. Yeah, yeah, what's his name? Luke Sywalker, Mark Hamill's voice in the animated joke, like, realistically, you really can't miss. The only time there was ever a miss was I.
Speaker 2: Will say this, the the joker that that preceded Letto's joker was Ledgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you were kind of falling on your sword. Yeah, you know, no matter.
Speaker 2: Anyway, getting back to Project Tail, Mary, Yeah what okay, so this I wanted to bring this up with you. Executive producer Ryan Gosling, star of the movie, Dominant screen time, Ryan Gosling. This is a total Ryan Gosling vehicle. But it was tremendous.
Speaker 1: It was It was much better than How to Killing Again if you're going to create a vehicle for yourself. By the way, he didn't act in it is my problem. He acted in it. He cries in a scene. Sure, I just I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, Like when when you are in that situation, I just feel like anything's possible, Like he could have taken he could have taken that character any which way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like I said, it just it gave me the happening vibes you gave me. Mark Well, Mark Wahlberg is a biologist. Huh yeah, yeah, okay, all right, that was the vibe. Okay, I'm starting to warm up to that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't think we talked about this the This is based on a film based on a book book written by Yeah, we both screwed that up, written by the same dude who wrote The Martian, Yeah, which I thought also was a tremendous movie. And I don't I don't think you could have flip flopped Damon and Gostling in those movies, you know what I mean, Like, maybe maybe you could have, but I think like this the roles, and maybe they just wrote it for Gosling and they wrote it for Damon because there there are much more heavier moments in The Martian than there were in Project Tail Mary, Oh my god. Yeah, which we need to find out what other books has this guy written about space because we got to figure figure like what the next movie is gonna be with both great movies, yeah, and and there is you know, my high school chemistry teacher always says this, the best sci fi movies are the ones and by the way, I don't know know if I necessarily subscribe to this. He said, the best sci fi movies are the one where there's like one piece of scientific information that's flipped or twisted or it non existent or whatever. And and he said, when when you just have like those one little bit where everything else is correct, it's awesome believability with this whole I mean, I know we got to suspend, we got to suspend disbelief for a film like this, but believability on everything that was going on the plot. Did it seem ridiculous to you at all? Did it seem like this is so nonsensical I can't get around it.
Speaker 1: Not only was it what did I not feel that way? But I would argue if there were ever a movie where a movie type where you don't have to suspend believability. It's a space travel movie because you know what's in space, Balky, literally everything is in space. It goes on to infinity and somehow it's still growing, so like and that's still growing. That's great, Like it's always expanding, Like how does that even wrap your mind around that it's infinity? But also there's an edge to it and it's growing like this is well beyond either of our I'm understanding that.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even begin in to but some I thought about it for a half second of my head hurts song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the idea that we that we saw some of this stuff. Like we had a conversation about this last week about whether or not you appreciate when movies leave stuff up to your imagination or when they show you stuff. I thought this was such cool the alien ship that you see in this that you think that they'll leave up to your imagination until towards the end of the movie. Then you get to see it and I was like, this is cool as hell, Like I really like the way that they are interpreting what this looks like. And again, there is none of that, Like I always go back to freaking New World Order or whatever. It was the Falcon Captain America movie where they had to do reshoots and there's a scene in a park that's obviously a green screen, right, and I'm sitting there looking at this, and I'm like, there's no special Like, this is all practical effects. This is absolutely stunning. I don't know how they're doing any of this, but this is awesome, right, and like I don't know what a ship would like. All of it felt real, the astrophage or whatever, the new fuel type that they discover, they discovered new fuel types all the time. It's absolutely within the realm of possibility. I absolutely loved all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: The astrophage is what powered the ship to get there, yeah, but that's also what was eating the sun.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, all right, yeah, but they found out they could also use it to out steal and propel them forward. That kind of jazz. But like even even Rick and Morty play with with this idea about the infinity of space, and that's for you know, it's not for children, but it's a cartoon. It's a simple cartoon that plays with this idea and it really it expands your horizon that like it can look like anything out there. There's one alien species in that show that doesn't breathe oxygen. They actually sustain off of heroin. And so we're sitting there like, you can't use that'll kill you. It's like, no, actually, if we if we don't have heroin, we die. And that absolutely could exist because enough chemical components. That's basically the whole thesis of Ryan Gosling's paper of some species might not need oxygen or water or whatever it is. And sure enough, that's all we come across in this and I thought that was an awesome interpretation. And not only they did not subsist off water, but it's subsisted off something that we can't even quantify, right, Like they were naming it while we were out there. That seems since it's infinite, there's an infinite amount of pussibility that so signed up for that. Yeah. I loved it. I absolutely loved I like from space. It's hard to make a space movie where I was like, bah, yeah that was garbage. Like it's very difficult for me to come out of a space movie that way. Really. Yeah, I mean, as long as you put time in it. If you're trying to make some bush league Star Wars just to make a quick buck, yeah, sure I should mention.
Speaker 2: Lord and Miller also directed the Solo movie, The Solo Star Wars movie.
Speaker 1: Very forgetaboy. I saw it one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it did nothing for me. But I'm not a huge Star Wars guy either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me neither.
Speaker 2: Now I want to bring this up. The guy who did the screenplay for Project Tail Mary. His name is Drew Goddard. Okay, okay, Drew Goddard wrote episodes for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Speaker 1: Nice callback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Angel alias and Lost Okay intriguing. Then he went into screenwriting and film do you know What's what?
Speaker 1: Movies?
Speaker 2: He wrote the screenplay for I'm gonna take that as a no No, The First clover Field Okay, World War Z all right? And The Martian, Oh Cool. And he wrote the screenplay for Project Tail Mary as well. He won an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Martian. So this guy's got some chops and this will surprise you not at all, Ben. In twenty eleven, he debuted as a director, directing the film The Cabin in the Woods wonderful?
Speaker 1: How about that? That's wonderful? How about that? That movie's way better than this one. But I was.
Speaker 2: Also disappointed that Ken Lung, who actually wasn't lost. I was disappointed that he was hardly in this and it basically everybody was. The body of Eintrube too, was hardly in its own What was.
Speaker 1: That guy's name? Lionel Boyce plays Carl, who's a service by far the best character in the movie. I doubt he was. He was killing me when he says, are you sitting down? Because it's like I wrote the line, And anytime someone says something like, that's exactly what I would have said in that scenario. I always find that to be appealing. He's like, are you sitting down right now? And he goes, no, I'm standing like a grown ass man. Like no one else in the theater. I was in a pack theater. No one else in the theater was laughing, and I was like, that was that was my favorite line, like like that character. None of the characters were in it in any meaningful way, but I thought everybody did a good job. I almost say Austin did a bad job, but relative to how much screen time he had, like I wouldn't have minded a couple other characters having slightly larger roles.
Speaker 2: There is an audiobook for Project Tail Mary Okay, and Ray Porter voiced Rocky in that. In that audiobook, you might know Ray Porter as portraying the villain dark Side in Zack Snyder's Justice Leaguer. Oh wow, okay, okay, and then you know who else stayed.
Speaker 1: A minute dark Side. He was like he was barely in it then.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, no, in the in the Zack Snyder in the Snyder cut, he played more about he was more okay in that one anyway, and then you know who else voiced Rocky in this movie in like an alternate voice, because Rocky had a few different voices. Academy Award winner Meryl Street.
Speaker 1: That was funny too. Is there anything she can't do? Apparently not? Who who did the AT and T girl play?
Speaker 2: She was Elisa il Yakina, who was a Russian engineer aboard the Hailman.
Speaker 1: Even recognize her in the movie? Yeah, she was.
Speaker 2: So she was with Ken Lung and like it was the three of them Goslin going to space.
Speaker 1: And if you.
Speaker 2: Remember back to when they're introducing the crew, they were talking about how they're going to how because they can choose how they want to die in space? Yeah, and she said, oh, I'm gonna takekay.
Speaker 1: That was her. Didn't even realize that was her. That was such a great line. I don't remember what the concoction was, but.
Speaker 2: It was like, well, something something like Heroin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ironically enough, Yeah, it was the Heroin just.
Speaker 2: Like actually was was born in the Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: It was Bekistan Milana Beintrue believe it or not?
Speaker 2: Okay, and now AT and T Lily Yeah, and issues on Silicon Valley for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the assisted suicide thing here and when they're talking about if you're Ryan Gosling, because I found that to intriguing. You've accomplished the mission, you know, beyond the shadow of a doubt. You've done all you can do, You've shipped the things off. Nothing you're going to do beyond that, assuming you know you can't find any escape planner. You know, obviously there's more to the movie. But he's talking about he was like, Oh, yeah, I have enough food to last me a couple more years. And I even stretch it out and I'm sitting there and I'm like, what what the hell are you gonna do with They're like, you're really gonna hang out in that? Like me personally, once it's mission accomplished, and I know, like I've triple checked my work, so I'm not gonna have to double back and do anything. I'm probably calling it right there. Like the idea that he would be like, oh no, let me let me do this for six more years, just hang out in this in this omni like this omni dimensional beach simulation that I can create, and they're like, nah, I think I'm good. I think I'm just gonna call it.
Speaker 2: So so I think there's a lot that goes into that. It's a really really I keep bringing up heavy, but it's a really heavy.
Speaker 1: Thing it is. But that's when I found myself, That's where I found my mind going. While I was watching, I'm like, why would I Why would I want to keep doing this for a guy who I'm also a creature comfort kind of guy? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, let's analyze the character a little bit. I no wife, no kids, no family, no no close friends. It seems like, yeah, you know, this is a guy who probably prefers solitude.
Speaker 1: I would imagine. Sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so once everything's done, initially my mind and this is how my mind works, initially, I'm like, okay, nothing that that is hard, that is worth doing, is ever done done. Like on the first attempt, something went wrong and he didn't realize it. So initially that's what I'd be like, Okay, I've done everything on my end, but now, as long as I can survive up here, why wouldn't I keep this going just just in case, Just in case, because eleven years of past or whatever, I don't know what's going on. There's another ship coming to me, say we need this, We need this, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe there's tech advancements and they come, yeah, I don't know. I've already tracked off my statement.
Speaker 2: Now, so there's that. And I'm not saying you were wrong. I'm just saying no, but you I didn't think about it from that perspective. At some point though, Yeah, I'd start my anxiety would kick in. You're in it, you got again. Absolutely, My anxiety would kick in when I see my food reserves running low. Yeah, and I see that, Okay, this decision is about to be made for me. Yeah, right, So then at what point do I say, Okay, oh yeah, I'm not starving.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking that route absolutely, not like you can't get new movies. Like it's not like you're gonna have new entertainment up there. You're not gonna there's not in all likelihood, there's not going to be a second person, right, which, yeah, but no, that's fair. That's that's when that's when it gets tough for for me.
Speaker 2: Not not right after, but when I see, when I see the realization hitting me in the face. That then it's like, okay, now now I now it's now it's decision time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, Okay, that's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 2: And I think, like, you know, how long did he say he had reserves for?
Speaker 1: He just said years. He didn't put a numbers, Okay.
Speaker 2: So like if you have that, isn't there comfort knowing that you don't have to make this decision yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There is to do it when you're ready. Yeah. Yeah, And and.
Speaker 2: And maybe at some point and be like, you know what, I screw this, I've saved the world. I'm gonna go out on my terms now. Yeah, maybe i'd feel that way.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You have to be suspended light years away from Earth for year, get that mind, to get in that mindset to find out, like and so, I don't know, it's just it's one of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved the friendship as well. Like realistic guy, I found myself watching the movie. I'm like, oh, they're doing an X Men right now, is what they're doing? Like an X Men? Yeah? X Men is like it's not even subtle, but like X Men is all about like racism and like understanding that people are different and that we all provide something to society and looking past our differences, and this kind of takes it to the nth degree. I even talk about it on my show all the time, Like I think war is an outdated concept. I was like, we all have the internet now, like we see what people in other countries are doing, Like we're all humans. Like the only time that I would be uneasy is if an alien came to Earth. I'd be like, well, I don't know what this thing's intentions are. Could have an entirely different moral code than what I do. Maybe they just need our water. And it's not even personal. I don't trust this thing, yea. And so this essentially kind of bridge that gap. You're learning from something that is entirely different from you, but you realize like he's got a wife or a partner, part he's got a he's got a he's got once and needs, and this is how he eats and this is how it sleeps. Yeah, there are all these great scenes there, and it was it was a very cool take, and I'm like, oh, they're doing an next one. I was like, they're getting people to not even realize that it's telling you that we have more in common that we realized. But it's not heavy handed enough that I think people. I think that's why it's got the ratings.
Speaker 2: It wasn't heavy handed at all because I didn't even pick up on it. So you think it's reasonable, well now I do absolutely. Yeah, Okay, that that was kind of my interpretation of it. I loved Rocky as a character. I'm not too keen on the design. I wish there would have been more pronounced features, I guess, And and even that that's not even the best the best way of saying it, I don't know. I just felt like when I was watching it, it was like such a dark blob for for the majority, you know, and I was just like, what am I?
Speaker 1: What am I seeing here? What am I seeing?
Speaker 2: What is what is Ryland Grace seeing here? And I guess ultimately that wasn't the thing they were trying to bring, like the communication and working towards the solid that was a goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there was one scene where even its top half almost moves independent of its body when's walking. I'm like, I would have liked more of that, Like you know what I mean, it's like that kind of movement. Give it a little because I think I might have even said this last week, but like, by far, in my opinion, the best interpretation of an alien on screen is the Xenomorph, and I don't even think there's a close secon like the alien aliens. Oh okay, Like I don't think there's even a close second to what the alien was. And I'm always when I heard it was all practical the aliens and Independence Day, that's that second. It's not close. Oh really yeah, not close? Yeah, but I do enjoy those aliens as well. And they even said welcome to Earth two or three times in this movie, and I immediately went to Will Smith in my head, welcome to Earth. Pitch yeah, welcome to Earth. And I just don't know what I call close encounter. Yeah. I don't know why peppered the B word in there.
Speaker 2: I just I felt like he was saying that, maybe because ever since the slap, I've I've thought, wow, it's like that gritty, dirty yeah.
Speaker 1: But I like that was probably the most disappointing part of all this to me is I heard it was all practical effects, Like there's a movie life if you ever saw it, with Ryan Reynolds and a handful of other actors the aliens. This CG. I blob. I'm like, it's a good movie, but it was like pass or you know, fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: What was the movie with Amy Adams and Jeremy Reuner Arrival? Yeah, and do we see aliens in that? I don't remember. That was a forgettable one.
Speaker 1: I think you see like a silhouette like of it through like a light that's almost blinding. But I think that's about us and even that, like, I'm cool with the leave it to imagination, But in terms of I always joked. It's always like, I think my imagination is a cool place. I can envision some really cool things. But like, very rarely does a movie show me something that I haven't thought of that I'm like, that's a terrifying creature in the xenomorphm Like, oh, yeah, that's it's it's blood is acid, and it's got a mouth inside of its mouth and it moves faster than me.
Speaker 2: And what about where to War of the World's Aliens rank?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just garbage free. Yeah, I liked the machinery. The tripods were cool, but again that was even from the book let alone, Like it's not like they thought of that. But but yeah, very rarely, because I always joke, like people say, oh, that was the scariest thing I could imagine, and like anytime someone says that, I'm like, well, you clearly don't have a particularly vivid imagination, because I can think of plenty of stuff scarier that I couldn't create it in the real world, but I can think about it in my head for sure. Yeah, and the Xenomorph is one of the only experiences where I'm like, oh, no, that's that's a terrifying terrifying In Rocky it wasn't supposed to be terrifying, but it wasn't particularly engaging, or.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have made this decision, And clearly they didn't make the decision either. What if you make it scarier, like not to the xenomorph level?
Speaker 1: Wait's Rocky?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Rocky comes like is like this dangerous looking alien or whatever, and then ultimately is like actually a friendly alien. They work together and like, you don't change anything in the story.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would have been cool. That would have been a better movie for you. It would have been cool for me.
Speaker 2: It would have been all right for mass audiences, don't I don't think it would have worked out nicely.
Speaker 1: This won't be a shock to you at all. But I'm sitting there waiting for the shoe to I'm like, when's it gonna turn out he needs to envelop Earth's atmosphere in order for him to get what he needs. Like I was waiting for them to be at odds and like, I guess that's technically a spoiler. It never happens. Like they just build a wonderful friendship and it's it's a very nice friendship. You will feel for this inanimate object in a way that I think the old It's not inanimate, but it's not real to us like it is it is, Like it's like I sit there watching the original Gremlins and I'm like, God, I want a magua so freaking bad. Like it's hard to get me to want something that is. It is objectively not a real thing. And like Rocky, I wish he looked cooler, but like you will find himself pulling for this fake thing in a way that you're like, oh right, this is a movie. Rocky's not a real ring like and that's a that's a feat in and of itself that that I think should be acknowledged. What was her name, Sandra Huller?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Heuler. I think there's a umlaut on it. Yeah, so yeah, so Culer who. I'm gonna look it up right now. I assume she's German, but I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Be without a doubt. UM love to German.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you could be so anybody with an umload on their last name is German.
Speaker 1: Yeah what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually okay? Are you speaking facetiously or legit?
Speaker 1: I guess technically the internet exists and someone could prove me wrong, but I feel I took German for five years. I feel confident.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well you you are more experienced than I am.
Speaker 1: Do you want to take a guess how old she is in real life? Forty one? Okay, you went the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I thought she was much older than what she is in real life, and you thought she was much younger.
Speaker 1: She's forty seven. Well no, because you asked me, because there was even a point where I thought, did they age her in the movie? Maybe they did, because like, she looks older at points in the movie, and I was thrown off by that. But yeah, no, I'm not surprised by that age at all.
Speaker 2: I think it was I think it was crucial that you can't have a romantic relationship developed between Gosling's character and her character because it would kind.
Speaker 1: Of ruined the hole. Who are you being brave for?
Speaker 2: Like where he he's going up there to save the world and he doesn't really have anybody worth saving in his own life, So you couldn't develop that relationship. But I think there was a friendship there a little bit. I thought they were going to lean into a love story there.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: She just looks so old. She looked like his mother to me.
Speaker 1: But like how old Ryan Gosling, he just looks young. Oh that could be yeah, but anyway, go on, you had more to that, Yeah, well, now I have to look up Brian Goslick's age. He is forty five. Yeah, okay, Canadian.
Speaker 2: By the way, So I was watching an interview with her. Now you know the karaoke scene in this movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So I was watching an interview with her and I can't remember where it might have been Conan, No, it wasn't Conan. I don't know, it's not the point. And she was talking about they she got to pick the song for that scene that she sings.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, And.
Speaker 2: She was looking through like play and stuff that she had, and she was looking for something sad because it was sort of like supposed to be a sad scene and she found this one and it resonated. No, you know what, I think it was Ryan Gosling telling this story about it and that's and so anyway, so she picked it and it was this Sign of the Time song by Harry Styles, which was the first single off his first solo album, which came out I don't know how many years ago now, like ten, maybe more than that. I don't know what's interesting about this is and I don't know if SNL did this on purpose. Gosling hosted SNL to promote this movie. Sure the following week, Harry Styles was hosted musical guest. So in the monologue when Gosling hosted, Harry Styles is sitting in the audience and Grian Gosling's like, what are you doing here? You don't host still next week. He's like, oh, it's been a while since I've done this, trying to get back into the well. The thing that they had planned for the monologue was this epic song dance outer space routine of Gosling and these women singing Sign of the Times or whatever, and and he's trying to do it in front of Harry Styles, it was very very love that.
Speaker 1: I love that I'd never heard that song before, and I was really yeah, it was like I might do this a karaoke like this is a.
Speaker 2: Good song, and it's a good song. He he, he's saying it the first time. He was a solo host on on SNL and uh, I mean it's a good I heard.
Speaker 1: Like the way it was marketed, it was like it was like.
Speaker 2: Bowie meets Queen or something like that, like for that song, because it did. It does have this epic sort of return. But there is a I read about that that it's supposedly about, And I don't know if Harry Styles wrote I think somebody else wrote it. But it's supposed to be about this woman who's pregnant and giving birth and the doctor tells her. He comes in and he tells her, Look, your baby's healthy, your baby's gonna be fine. You are not going to survive this. So it's her coming to terms with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a heavy freaking movie. Guys. Well yeah, well, I mean this that's the specific song. Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Sandra Huler knew the backstory of that song when she picked.
Speaker 1: Well the lyrics matched the plot, Like you're sitting there and you're like, oh, she's singing about what's happening. Obviously it fits to what you're describing as well, but it absolutely was going along with the vibe of that scene in the moment, and even at that point, Gosling didn't even know he was going. He didn't at that point.
Speaker 2: And so now that karaoke scene was that, like how far how far in advance was that of the launch?
Speaker 1: Was the launch the next day? No, because I don't even think the things that had happened that pushed Gosling into needing to go.
Speaker 2: Had had Okay, so we're talking about like weeks before, they're just getting together just to blow off steam. And yeah, because the astronauts are getting a little lit that night too.
Speaker 1: Right, And even they even bring it up in the dialogue. He's like, you know, I'm surprised how jovial they all are, and they kind of explained why. There's a lot of cool moments like that that make it worth it. Now, I will say, and this is actually how I meant to start the show, and now I remember what my cold open. But we got there forty five minutes, in which at least we got there? We are When did this come out? Will this Friday be three weeks ago days? I believe that's accurate. I went on a Tuesday showing as I am wont to do. Yeah, I had to. I got there five minutes for the movie started eause I had a ton of crap to do. I had to pick a seat in the second row. I have never sat this close to a screen, did you. I mean it was a dream lounger. So I'm like, yeah, I'm over here like this and I'm doing the thing.
Speaker 2: Isn't that kind of a cool way to watch this specific movie?
Speaker 1: Though, I'm gonna be real with you, I was getting a little nauseous at times, really because the cameras spins and like it's done in a way that wasn't a planetarrea no. Like I I kind of liked it, but at the same time. But I say all that to say, if it were a lesser movie, this would have been a much angrier podcast today, because I think if it even were average, I would like it lessened the experience. That's what I was gonna cold open with you about was how the experience watching a movie impacts the movie itself, even though it's the same.
Speaker 2: Are you still doing the thing where you go to the gym right before? Not as much as I would like to be that because you're maximized or you're minimized, or you're not minimizing, but you're not maximizing your enjoyment of us. So if your theory is to be proven true that you are in a better mood than you.
Speaker 1: Feel better after much I will say. They threw Running Man on YouTube TV. I caught it over the weekend and got that movie's good. Yeah, this guy's so good. But but yeah, I feel that. But so I'm up close and there's a lot of scenes where like they'll have it sideways and then they turn it while they're talking. Yeah, and I am not emotion sick this guy, especially watching something definitely not to well.
Speaker 2: It's in space, like there is no like up down and what I.
Speaker 1: Feel it in my stomach at times like oh, is this because I'm freaking seven feet from this giant screen or is this because of how they shot it? I can't tell, but like I'm definitely feeling it with this one. Which again there's a lot of production value stuff that did not go unnoticed during my viewing, and I have to say, to have that kind of a theater three weeks almost after the fact, I think this was the first weekend that it was dethroned by the freaking Mario movie. Of course, but it had been killing it in the box. By the way. They love it. I'm sure they love it. Yeah, of course, it seems like it's just sugar in movie form, so I'm sure everyone loves it. But but yeah, I just I didn't want to. I always like adding how into it it seems people are, and clearly a lot of people still interested in seeing this one almost three weeks out. Could be a testament to how weak the competition is or word of mouth spreading about this. I have no idea, but yeah, I've never had to sit that close, not even just in the Fox Cities, but in general, I've never been that close to a movie screen in my entire life.
Speaker 2: So I sat in the front row for I sat in the actually I sat in the second row, the furthest over to the left.
Speaker 1: That you can get.
Speaker 2: And this was like in the ultra screen days when it was a huge theater. So if you were sitting way off to the sure it was not comfortable. Armageddon is where I sat for that ironic, ironic, Yeah, second second roll, way to the left. I also sat in the front row for I believe Star Wars episode one, or maybe it was three now I think it was three. I think it was the last one of that of that trilogy, and that was not great. I sat in the second row next to my father for the James Bond, the the last one that Daniel Craig did No Time, No Time to Die or whatever it was. I know you're not, I know you're but I sat next to him for that and we were sitting pretty up close, and I was like, my dad is never going to go for this.
Speaker 1: But he made it. He made it through.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like in his mid sixties at the time or late sixties at the time.
Speaker 1: He made it through.
Speaker 2: It's not comfortable like sitting that close at all.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, not at all. And again, if it were, if you had seen Phantom Menace that closed. I already hated that movie Phantom Menace. That you hated. Phantom Menace, the first one of the sith Yeah, well here's the dealboll I thought. The second one, I can't remember what it's called, the Wars Attack of the College Clones. Yea, yeah, that was the worst thing that was garb. Yeah, agreed. Here's the thing. First one came out in ninety nine. My uncle and my aunt took me to go see it. I still remember it like it was yesterday, and I went with my brother. It was the four of us, and like, like we just said earlier in the podcast, not a huge Star Wars guy, No one in my family is. And that was the last time I saw it. Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Nine, I'll be honest with you, I was totally so. I had a lot of Star Wars super fan friends in high school and they made a big deal out of it, and as a result, I kind of made a big deal out of it, but not nearly to the degree that they did.
Speaker 1: So I was. I was keen on seeing it.
Speaker 2: Dude, my Star Wars fan has waned so much that the episode nine, which was the final Adam Driver, I can't remember her name now.
Speaker 1: The ray I don't remember, Yeah, razy.
Speaker 2: Daisy, Yeah Daisy, I can't think of it. Four or five years after it had been released. Yeah, that's when I finally saw it. I just I could not. I'm like, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, man, I I'm right there with you with those movies. That's so I said it's possible to make a space movie. I'm like, that was mediocre and it's Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think Star Wars is and it all comes back to Marvel. They're kind of undergoing the same oversaturation, you know, with the TV shows and spin off movies and everything.
Speaker 1: And I still maintain, and my diehard Star Wars fans hate for friends hate when I say this, best Star Wars movie ever is the original Guardians of the Galaxy. I think I said that last week. Yeah, I still maintain, like, give me that over any of them. My I freaking saw the Last Jedi, yeah, the eighth one, yeah, the second one with Ray and I went with a diehard Star Wars guy that I was worked in sales with and that came out at the same time there was. It was the first time I saw the trailer for Infinity War. And so we go to work on Monday and all my coworkers asked me, like, you saw the Last Jedi, what did you think of it? I said, the most exciting part was the Infinity War trailer. I did not care about any of that movie, right, and my friend like, you don't listen to him. It was fantastic and pop up, up, up up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to bring this up when you talk about a crowded theater three weeks in. Yeah, and you saw it on a.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, Yeah, which is the cheap day, which is encourages more people. But still but you didn't see it at night, right Nope? Yeah, no, two thirty so the same time as my Dunnis appointment. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My kids hate me when I when I bring that up. And anyway, my one of my other companies I work for, we have a slack chat, you know the slack app where you can kind of like keep up and you know, it's like an ongoing record. It's like an I Am like an instant messenger thing, but it's categorized and you post on certain things and certain categories. So we have this random category and occasionally we'll bring up TVs or movies or stuff like that. And one of my friends or co workers in there brought up, by the way, guys, not not if you're looking for a new movie project tail Mary is pretty good. And then like three other people chimed in, Oh, yeah, it was awesome. I loved that movie and I said, how I was. You know, our this episode is going to be out coming out Thursday afternoon, and I said, you guys can listen to it or whatever. And I said in that it will be so refreshing to talk about this movie as opposed to the three previous ones we've had, where they've all.
Speaker 1: We've been really down on them, you know, like just now it was three weeks ago. I know we hated Undertone and Ready or not Ready or another one. I remember, Oh the Bride, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was the loss to the loss of the an so so so and and just really effusive. And I think this movie appeals to pretty much everybody, like, yeah, no matter what type of movie you.
Speaker 1: Like, human character development, original, true hero's journey story. Yeah, I mean like, it's very impressive visually with not without going too high into the to the tech thing. There's a lot. Again, I thought there were moments where it dragged a bit, but again I also am just messed up internally, so there might be people, you know, I I think that maybe it dragged a little bit, I guess, but I think that that not that I want to defend the filmmakers.
Speaker 2: But I think sometimes you need in a in a with an idea, with a plot like this, I think when it drags and it feels like, you know, boredom seeping in, that's kind of what the characters are experiencing as well, Shostling and Rockney. And whether that's intended or not, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Right now. You sound like the directors of the Darkest Thrones episode. Ever. No, it was that hard to see because.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, I said, and I said, I don't want to defend him because I don't know if they made this choice, you know, but I'm just saying, like, well, maybe that.
Speaker 1: They don't let him get away with it, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so in any event, that's my point, Like, no matter what type of movie you like, this this really appeals to everybody. And I don't know anybody who has seen it that was like, oh, yeah, this is an overrated piece of crap.
Speaker 1: You know, if there was one.
Speaker 2: Complaint, I'd have two and a half hours and we basically got to see one.
Speaker 1: Character get developed. Yeah, and that was Gostling.
Speaker 2: That was it. Rocky is is. I don't know how much character development there was there? Yeah for him, I mean I guess there was something, but there was nothing else in this movie. I mean, this is like, seriously, one hundred and fifty minutes of Ron Gosling. And if you like Gostling, and I do, you're gonna like this for sure, you know.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, my two cents on that. Yeah, I dig that. And again, I think it's the I think that's why part of it felt like it dragged is because we're essentially watching a two character but technically one character. Yeah, work here for lack of a better term, But I mean, I don't have a whole hell of a lot more to say about it, but like I'm at a point where I would say, easy eight and a half, Like eight and a half is what I was gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't gonna put it nine because I felt like there was still some meat on the bone here, especially when you have all these elements of space and the visual stuff was cool, probably could have been a little cooler. You have an alien in this movie, could have.
Speaker 1: Been a more interesting alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you had other characters that really weren't explored. So easy eight and a half borderline to nine. But I'm gonna give it eight.
Speaker 1: And a half. Yeah, and like what's funny is because like now I'm measuring everything up against the only ten I've done on this, which is that good Luck.
Speaker 2: Don't no, I thought the only ten you ever did was the Rachel mccadams one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right. I think, in my heart of hearts, I'm mad. I want to give that a nine and a half and give yeah good luck half. Thought that was just such a fun movie, and like so that's that's but again, that is a subjective measure, like, you know, the kind of stuff that I like, and this definitely that. Again. I don't think I would have seen it if it weren't for off topic in theaters. In theaters, I just.
Speaker 2: I feel like with a space movie like this, with as big of a budget, with as good a reviews that it got, and we haven't looked up the tomatoes, have we obscene?
Speaker 1: I actually looked it up just now because we were talking about it ninety four ninety six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with that, I mean, wouldn't you. I mean you're doing yourself a disservice not seeing in the theater. You know, now, I get it if it's like some sort of but.
Speaker 1: I only know this now that I've seen it because you don't look up the ratings before very rarely. Yeah, all right, I get it. Yeah, I get it. And that's yeah, that's kind of where I stepped. Honestly, if we weren't doing off topic outside of Ready or not too, I probably would have laid low the last couple of weeks movies wise. Right, That's why I like doing this because it forces me out of my comfort zone a little bit. Even if you're like, God, that sucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it makes you appreciate the good ones even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree, and it makes me more well rounded. So I'll take that any day of the week now. Yeah, in terms of next next week, Yeah, you got somens in her I do. Okay, well, what do you have?
Speaker 2: How familiar are you with the Faces of Death franchise. I'm not Faces of Death came out. I remember, this is a big thing in the nineties, like when I was growing up, and it was these videos these like that were shot that allegedly showed real life.
Speaker 1: Murders being taken place.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, and that was a big thing that would come out in Halloween or whatever and all. Look, oh there's new Faces of Death. You gotta check it out.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know, you will talk about R rated and NC seventeen rated. This was like beyond NC seventeen. So I even in my heart of hearts, I never would even you know, because like, oh it's rated R. I can't wait. I can't wait to see it behind my parents. But I wouldn't even have contemplated watching.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm familiar with this, okay?
Speaker 2: All right, So there is a movie called Faces of Death opens up this weekend wide release. Barbie Ferrera is starring in it. You may know her from Not On Anymore Euphoria season three.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not a sixteen year old girl, you know that.
Speaker 2: That's that's so ridiculous that that you would say that how many episodes of Euphouri have you watched?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: They have nothing you have, You have nothing to stand on.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So season three comes out this Sunday, but she's not in it anymore.
Speaker 1: She left the show.
Speaker 2: But she's the star of this and I believe she's hosting some she doesn't host. She's like a monitor and it's they don't use YouTube, but it's another you know, like YouTube type, okay, and she's like a monitor of this and these videos are popping up anonymously, and she's starting to get the inkling that these are not stage, they're not set up, that these are actually really people dying in real life.
Speaker 1: Oh that comes out this week. Okay.
Speaker 2: Other than that, there's a lot of limited releases that I don't know if they're going to hit the Fox Valley or we could go back to Scream seven as well. Yeah, so unless you have something else.
Speaker 1: The only thing I was going to suggest, and I'm looking, I looked up Faces of Death and the failing New York Times articles the first thing that pops up here, and it just says Faces of Death set the bar for hardcore horror. It's back. And I was just like, well, that's probably enough for me to be on board with this. The only thing I was going to suggest is the person who we reference in this podcast quite often, John Jordan on WAPL, came up to me. He never comes to my desk. I normally have to walk up to him, and he physically walked up to my desk on Monday and he goes Pizza movie and I went the comedy that just released on Hulu, and he was like, yeah, it's starring the heavier set kid from Stranger Things. I don't remember what his name is now, with the curly hair and the speech impediment.
Speaker 2: Oh Gavin, Yeah, it's got a real E'TI.
Speaker 1: In any event, it's starring him. And it's basically like this generation's Harold and Kumar, Like they get incredibly messed up and they have to go downstairs to get the pizza. And it's the adventure that they go on trying to get the pizza from downstairs. And he said, I have not seen a comedy like this in so long, and I did not know that this Face as a Death movie came out and that's streaming. It's available on Hulu right now. So we could do that on a back burner at a time where we're really desperate. I can very easily be talked into Faces of Death because that was my pizza movie thing. I don't know if it's actually good or not. This is a John Jordan recommendation, but that would have been my suggestion for where we head with this from here.
Speaker 2: So okay, so based on what you're saying, I agree with you. We should do Faces of Death. Yeah, and we should keep Pizza movie in.
Speaker 1: The yeah, on the back burner in case. Yeah, and then if I won't watch it until we decide that we're gonna do it for a podcast, and then I'll check it out then and we can go from there.
Speaker 2: So the so number one that's Star Wars is Daisy Ridley.
Speaker 1: Oh, I never would have remembered Ridley. I'm gonna be real with you.
Speaker 2: Gayton Matarazzo is the is the character from Stranger Things, the heavier kid.
Speaker 1: I never would have got that. I was talking about what was his name in Stranger Things, like forget you know, I don't know. Oh he was dust Dustin Henderson. Okay, there is okay, yeah, please real names, get out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. So that'll be the plan and then well we'll figure it out in two weeks.
Speaker 1: But Faces of Death yeah all right, yeah, yeah, all right, excited about that. I like that. I'm I feel like I've like I'm glad we're doing this. I'm glad we're doing this year. I can't believe you suggested that. I can't believe I didn't even know. There's not a whole lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is it, and I feel like there's like a horror a new horror movie coming out like every two weeks. Now, it seems like that's bankable.
Speaker 1: Well no, well that's uh, that's always been the case because they're so cheap to make. They want to compete with the actual ratget movies, so you release. Now, that's why all the R rated horrors come out in September because you're really not h it like one hundred and twenty million, and it blew all the records out of the water for horror. So like that's a good thing. Face is a Death, Gonna go check it out, Definitely look forward this one that's bulky. I'm bad and this is off topic. We'll talk to you guys next week.