Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fiftyay powered by Nova Insurance Services.
Speaker 2: In sure your most prized possessions.
Speaker 3: Are you on? Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty from Steve Rivera. Hey, Andy Brown made his way to the office today. I got a guy jan here.
Speaker 4: One let me in the building today Tuesday, I didn't do anything well, Texas, We're gonna have to replace a window or two, but we got it. Steve didn't want to let us cut me down. I ain't got a haircut for you and everything today.
Speaker 3: Ste did you look sharp? I look good for our listeners out there. You you didn't get you didn't get a haircut about two weeks ago when you had some guests in town.
Speaker 4: No, you know, and things got busy and Snoop Dogg he was in town a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: That go.
Speaker 4: That guy's cool. He just oozes coolness. Let me tell you one of the coolest guys I ever met. And he can fit himself into conversation any gathering, and it's it's not awkward and it's not forced.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: You're so you're the you're the you're a co boss or the a boss of eighteen eighteen yeah, eight team security. We all see you guys everywhere all. So did you kind of use some privilege with that title?
Speaker 4: Actually, no, I didn't. I actually assigned about three of my uh good staff to him, and they got the privilege.
Speaker 3: Okay, but did you were hanging around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hung on the outside. I'm flying the all type of thing. But you can imagine everybody wanted a picture with him. Oh yeah, I was going to be that. I'm not that guy. I don't think he took very much. I didn't see very many. He took a few. He took quite a few pictures with the local law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, but not but not.
Speaker 4: No, he never sat around long enough. Yeah, he was always going to go. Was on his script and he did it. And the guy is professional. He's cool, he's you can see why he's successful at everything he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, did you have a conversation with the man?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I did not per se to his staff. My guys did, Yeah they did, Okay, cool, cool, cool. Yeah he was a hard target to Yeah, he was down, he was moving target. He he's really good in the booth. I don't know if you got to listen.
Speaker 3: I did. I did. Second quarter I did. He was pretty good up there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, everybody's on the peripheral trying to get a picture take him selfies one hundred feet away and he's in the back that's at Snoop. Yeah, but no, it was a great, great game. I think it was a huge success for the community. And give him back. And that was the one thing that drew him here was we give all that net proceeds back to Chared. Are you part of the am on the board of directors? Okay, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, yeah, I'm a blue jacket guy. Yeah, I bought some cool. I brought some of the sneakers, the Snoop Dog slip on sketchers do there and and uh la, ma honey, went got up pair.
Speaker 3: He's like, I like those. I'm gonna get paired too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, who are you selling them at the game or something?
Speaker 3: No, No, we just bought him online.
Speaker 4: Catchers. When you got big feet, like, you got to pre order those. You don't just walk into a store. And by fifteens you got to order those things. Yeah, cool, cool, You're sold on this.
Speaker 3: That was a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, now I got time to get my haircut and come on the radio.
Speaker 3: We had Kim Adarre on the show last week. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: She's great at what she does. She's full of energy, doesn't stop. They hit a not to mix a metaphor, but they hit a home run. They did, they scored. I mean, she works her butt off. Yeah, and that whole crew does in that in that office. But this, you know what, Yeah, you got all that age to be careful what you asked for. Thing. We've always been wanting a nice, big, huge name as a sponsor and we got it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then you're like, oh, this is a lot more work. Yeah, in what sense, In the sense of that brings what Snoop Brock to the table as far as the security part of it, the details of timing where he needs to be and all the people involved in that is huge.
Speaker 3: So did you guys get the memo on that or something, just okay, this is what's going to happen from their end, And you said, okay, yes, we have to abide by whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that went back and forth quite a few times, and I was on a few zoom meetings. And I won't get into too much detail, but you have to be on the ball and when you're dealing with professionals like that, and you understand why he's so successful, right because he puts people around him that are that good.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So it's not like he hires any slepty off the street. He's got top notch people running his show for him and they expect excellence.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it raised our game as a bowl to a whole other level. And I think that's what's nice about dealing with somebody like Snoop is he gives you that level of professionalism, like, oh, I thought we knew what we were doing, or I knew what we were doing, but now this is a whole other level.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think he has two more years, right, and that this will kind of be a helpful And I always say helpful, hid but helpful for moving on even beyond him if he doesn't continue after two years. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Yeah, Like I said, it raised everybody's game to another level to see the kind of professionalism that he brought, you know, Yeah, Town, it was just it's amazing. Across the board was well attended to. It was not much better than that Potato Bowl and I do. Yeah, that was brutal. I didn't see that on like twenty seven people.
Speaker 3: It was bad. Really, there was a couple of them that were really bad, but forty thousand, yeah even look good on TV, both sides, both sides of the you know, so snoop.
Speaker 4: He surprised both teams in their locker rooms when they showed up, which was really cool. I don't know if you knew about that. Yeah, I heard he had tucked, but yeah, he got there early and when they walked in, he was there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was so cool because he he nil deals for the kids. Yeah I say kids, you know, athletes or whatever, and took care of him. He gave the coach the whatever called the necklace.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he gave everybody a change. All the winning team got oh really pro records. Oh okay, cool and one of my I think one of my guys might have ended up with one of those. But he he's the guy who watched them all day. Yeah, but yeah, that was fun. He had a little surprises like that all around the corner. And those are the things that you'd think he was just going to come in and show and put his name on it. But he wanted to be involved. He wanted to do things. He wanted to be around people. He wanted to intermingle with the with the student athletes. He really loves football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he knows football, yeah, because he's been around it with the kids and he know he was a coach and owned the teams and all that.
Speaker 4: Well, he has a youth football So we had youth football games Thursday, Friday and Sunday here in town. Yeah, and he brought him in from all over. I think we had Canadian teams and he had all kinds of international teams here and we put on a good show for them. So I think there were eight teams maybe told them Yeah, and the games too. Yeah, they all came to the game. They all got tickets to the game. The kids all got tickets and I think their parents did too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, there you go. There's the attendance of forty thousand.
Speaker 4: It's exactly what you want as a sponsor from a sponsor of a big bowl like that. That involved, right. Some people just put their name on it and they walk away. He was in it.
Speaker 3: So it was nice, good, good for everybody involved. We'll see what the money effects when they start distributing the money to the local Yes, that's a great part. We always do that.
Speaker 4: We do a really cool meeting with the Blue Jackets and we invite all those people that we give the money to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been there. Oh I can give out the checks. Yeah. Yeah, and it's it's a it's a varying amount and everybody appreciates it, obviously of the nonprofits. No, no, cool, cool, cool. Well, welcome to the show, everybody. We're gonna take some the calls if you can. I think it's gonna be a fun show. Five to zero four one, six seventy four forty. We're gonna have Brian Peterson from Acy Desert Swarm here in the first hour, in about ten twelve minutes. And then we're gonna have someone I've been trying to maybe not trying, but I attempted to reach him on Sunday, got him a friend for sella. Uh you know ESPN guy if you remember he was, he was a coach at New Mexico back in the day. So I'm gonna give him grief about that. Remind him of a couple of things that have happened back in the day. I was surprised to see on his resume he hasn't coached since New Mexico. That was tooth And two I looked him up after you told me show Yeah, and I'm thinking, wow, he got smart and got out of the business, because I'm sure he doesn't want to be part of this business anymore. Uh but you know, you know, he does a pretty good job of and he knows he knows he does a pretty good job what he does. Uh. And two he he was kind of like pre pre Tommy Lloyd. He went after euros to where he he did that stuff as well. Or he has a history of going over and knowing who's who in euro in Europe and every other places beyond. So we'll talk to him about yeah, absolutely, about that and his time at New Mexico. Given they played Arizona a time or two, I'll remind him of a couple of incidents as that I remember. It should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: So that'll be a lot of fun. And tonight we have a game, right Arizona versus West Virginia. West Virginia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Bruce, was that their last the wind that kicked off their put seven in a row? NINNI now Kansas. Will they be Kansas too long ago?
Speaker 3: Last week I think played well, they're not playing with their star guy, right, is that right? Yeah, Tucker, he was the guy that torched Arizona. I think he almost like it, like what every three.
Speaker 2: Point of.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, and you played back in the day, Andy, and I remember this. We'd go to we And I say we because they traveled with the team, yes, uh, to the games. Uh when you played Washington State or Oregon State or I'm trying to think of those games back in the day. No attendance and and some dude named Joe blow beat the crap out of you because no one, no one was there.
Speaker 4: To see in Utah was one of them. Yeah, they just light us up with some kids you never heard of. Right, Yeah, You're like, where did this guy come from?
Speaker 3: Right? And then you say here, you know, right, number ten in the country and this dude's they just show up and ten people in the arena and then they come away with a win.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you what, everybody kind of showed up when Arizona came in time. Yeah, Pullman, Pullman is uh not a bright town. I mean you know, it's cold, cold and strowing and Oh my goodness. Yeah, but we showed up and they would throw kids out there that didn't sometimes they didn't think, like its Arizona.
Speaker 3: I don't even know who we're playing it right? Is playing right?
Speaker 4: That's what you get from those kids West Virginia. Can he just came out and start playing right. I sat next to a guy at an establishment watching that game. Oh this this year, yeah it was, and he was from West Virginia, and he was telling me all about that kid and his dad who's the coach, And I mean he was a real At the end of that game, I knew everybody on the West Virginia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm sure he was pretty happy when he went to overtime.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I actually had to end up buying him a drink or two. Yeah, I think me you might.
Speaker 3: Have had a it's a wager or two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I even left early. Here's ten drink, you can have it. That's fine to me. It was a surprise.
Speaker 3: But they're pretty good in ranked twenty one, right, they've got the streak here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're at home so big clubs. That's you know, you hear it the whole time. Now, is you got a hold court at your own Allison. Yeah, obviously West Virginia is is doing that.
Speaker 3: So I think at the beginning of the year, you think that Arizona, knowing what you knew about both schools or didn't know that they'd be able Okay, go in, win and get out.
Speaker 4: But that's not the case in the nowadays. And our team has that tendency to give up leads, right, and which is a surprise tough part to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't know if Tommy, you know, I could put a finger on it yet, but if he did, he could squash it. I think it's just some of those teams have that neck have kind of sometimes disappearing for a minute. Yeah, right, it's just they get kind of a lots of days ago and they don't go back to what they were doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's happened. Well, let's remember they beat Houston beat them not this way. Houston rough them up in the tournament. The next year they played Princeton, right, they were down like ten to twelve, and they came back and won that game. Last year, Clemson had that big lead there was on a storm back and didn't have enough. So it's kind of been varying, but he talks about this and he used a phrase last year that I really wish i'd remember, where you try to have enough wiggle room. You get that lead, and you have enough wiggle room too, just in case there mistakes.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 3: He's had two wiggle room games and one bit him. Yeah, the other one almost bit him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, that was tough to watch that. I don't know if it's uh. I think your team has to win one of those to get over that hump. I think they did, and I don't think they'll give up those leads again like that, But they have to stay focused. That's the biggest thing, is lack of focus when you get to that point.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you this because you were you were on one of the better teams in the history of Arizona, and you're an observer, I will say, and you know this bit of me. Yeah, you're an observer. Of the thirty one games, I think it was I could be more than that. How many times did you guys not stay focused?
Speaker 4: There were very few, but you had a great leader in Damon who wanted to squash people from the beginning to the end. That I think there's a there's a guy on every team that does that, and Damon was that guy and he led it. He wanted to score. You know, everybody stands before until we the other team scores at Miguel. He wanted to see how long he can make people stand and he throws some mathfs.
Speaker 3: I want to see how long I could make these mfors stand? Right, And you're like, whoa. And that was him, that was the dog in him so well. And he had some good observers too, because Colid was was the dude. They just kind of give me the ball man.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he needed Damon to push them, right, And that was if you had a team of Clid's no, everyone's like we're up twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of cruise it. And that's how we played. But you also have dudes like Griggie who fed off probably Damon, oh yeah, and you have JB who kind of maybe fed off a little from JBL from both.
Speaker 4: All those three guys are mostative guys I've ever met. Rays Right, he was the same, Right, He was a quiet dude. He was a quiet mean dude. He was a silent killer.
Speaker 3: We call him. Yeah, I don't think you never want to cross with.
Speaker 4: Drake no, no, but he that's you gotta have a team that's focused.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not close enough to this team him to say that that's the deal.
Speaker 3: But I think the guy that and I said this when they lost to UCLA in Phoenix. Yeah, uh that if Caleb is not the guy and you and you think that they're going to live or die with kileb that Jayden.
Speaker 4: Has to be that guy. He's the dude that give me the ball I'm gonna take. And he did last game, right.
Speaker 3: He scored that the go ahead game, He goes downhill, he puts the pressure on the opponents. I think he's going to probably have to continue to do that the rest of the way. Right.
Speaker 4: It's kJ is good at the end of that last game too, and with two drives to the hoop. But it's the dumb turnovers, you know, just the lazy passes up top of the key.
Speaker 3: Those kill me. And you're watching and you're like, dude, you got to be right. The ball is most important. Keep that thing in your possession. That happened a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Always said if you got the ball, the other team can't score, right, right, So you need the ball I want the ball, so keep that ball handy, don't turn it, don't get sloppy with it, because that's what hurt him. Okay, let's go. We're gonna get ahold of Brian Peterson here on the other side.
Speaker 6: Are you ready ready to discover for your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tuside.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise? So Fasco YUCKI try.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 7: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot Com. The Window depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about deradle rocking materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you In twenty twenty four, recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today. In MLS three h eight seven Arizon a b k Ninez two nine for two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyndrixyn Credit greats and available loan program or such exchange with ut notice.
Speaker 11: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best of sports cards.
Speaker 3: And trading card games.
Speaker 11: From rare fines to delated releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 12: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score. You can borrow better with Peerramid. For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 5: Gout bugs, termites, mees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bes or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramiro on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Subscribe now to the.
Speaker 1: Podcast on the iHeartRadio just searched I on the Ball.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Why on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and today with me is mister Andy Brown. Now on the phone, we have Brian Peterston from azydisinitessform dot com. Brian, how are you? I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, of course. Hey, big game tonight. How would or is it a big game tonight.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's a big game in that it can it can mean a lot to win this game and to pull off a road sweep right at the beginning of the conference against a pair of ranked teams. Losing the game isn't the end of the world. Maybe how it is lost would be if considering that West Virginia's missing the player that torched Arizona in the Bahamas, if they beat them in an equally in the same fashion or more, then it could be a little problematic for Arizona. But I think the fact that they started off this trip with a win a split is still considered a major success.
Speaker 3: You talked about end of the world. Give me remind me of of the Listen, your your readers, and you're the naysayers. They've had four or five end of the world lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's already been five season ending losses and the season has been cooked. I've heard that quite a bit. Predictions of no more than twelve wins for the entire season. Uh, don't forget fire, Tommy Lloyd, you know all the all those the usual things. It's and and even this last game because they gave up the lead. But didn't actually fall behind, but they blew the nineteen point lead. It doesn't matter that they want, it's that they gave up the lead. And that's it's you're never going to please everyone.
Speaker 4: We know that I wanted you hear that five season in Doomsday already.
Speaker 3: But you know that people ask you how's.
Speaker 4: Going on, the same crowd that leaves at eight minute mark when they're up by twenty. So I tell you what, man, the kids just got to stay at the course and play man, and.
Speaker 3: Hopefully they shut that stuff out and just play.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that that I think they pretty much don't really pay attention to that stuff. But I think the team has definitely played better these last few games. They mean, it's far from perfect, but there just seems to be more of a not so much more of a plan, but more of an execution of that plan, and that people are figuring out what they are supposed to be doing and how they can do it best, and particular guys like Carter Bryant and Henry b Star take on more of a role and and fit well into what they're doing. Has been very important.
Speaker 4: And I think you know, you talk to Tommy every now and again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so hold that out. And and we covered Tommy obviously, And I think he's the perfect coach for the temperament of what needs to be done here because there ain't five there's no panic in him. He's okay, we're just gonna get better. You know what I'm saying. It's not a it's not a freak out. No, he doesn't freak out. And that's why kids like playing for him too. He's not he's not the you know, the guy's gonna yell at him and scream at him all the time and and brow beat them.
Speaker 4: No, he's not Sean Miller. He's not the guy from a su.
Speaker 3: What's his name? You wouldn't say, you just don't say it.
Speaker 4: So he kids like playing for him because he is the positive. Guys gonna say, you know, keep shooting, keep doing this, keep doing this, but you gotta stay focused, you gotta you gotta get into the system and figure it out. Carter Bryant is the one of the best athletes I've seen come through in a while. But he's still he's still thinking the game because he's learning a new system.
Speaker 3: So, Brian, do you agree with my he's the like perfect temperament for this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean he he'll lay into them in practice and in the private moments and all that, but he's not a he's not to throw them under the bus. He's just somebody. No one's listening anyway. He's he's he's he He picked these guys and they picked him for a reason, and he's not gonna change that because of some poor performance. If there is poor behavior and attitude and all that, then maybe that would be the case. But I don't see that from these guys. And he's just like, Hey, we are a group and we're going to do this throughout the year. There's gonna be good times and bad times, and we have to be the same whether we're doing well or doing poorly in terms of our demeanor and everything.
Speaker 3: Is there a level? Is there a level of me?
Speaker 4: It's a combination of on a coach that you want to come and see some fire from him on the sidelines at sometimes. I saw a little bit of that during that game this last game where Tommy going into a timeout, he was he was pulling guys in. It was like, hey, figure this out right, but he was I kind of like to have a little more fire just a little bit.
Speaker 2: I can see that, and I know that there are a lot of fans that feel that way, especially since Tommy is not the stereotypical coach that like two three baskets in a row by the opponent and he immediately calls a timeout to kind of stop that. He wants to see if they can work their way through it. And there have been times where maybe he's waited too long to take a timeout, and the UCLA game was a pretty good example of that. But he was also down to one timeout because of some that had to be used in tie up loose ball situations, and he readily admits, maybe I should have done something different than that. But I think he doesn't want to be a micro managing coach. Sean Miller basically every time up and up the court was micromanaging every little thing, and Tommy and his staff are more like, Okay, I'll call out a play, but you know what you're supposed to do. I don't have to remind you as the plays going off, right.
Speaker 3: Right, allude to that to let him play, and then that's why you practice. You understood the time and circumstances and whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we usually did three or four trips up and down, up and down, up and down, and then that was kind of like that was the that was the tempo. Yeah, you know, and then then you.
Speaker 3: Did stop and you get on your So so, Brian with regard to Caleb, and you've been there when I've asked the question of time or two about Caleb's Uh, does this team ride with Caleb high and low? Maybe I can maybe soften that a little. They should, They could win without him being great. But I still think that he has to show up.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that when he has a monster game, then good things are going to happen. But when he when he has an off game like he this past one, others have to step up. And maybe that wasn't there last year that when he was having a bad game and kept shooting, there wasn't anyone else who was filling in the void. But Jaden Bradley had fifteen points in this past game, Carter Bryant was over double figures. You had guys that we were doing things so that it wasn't just like, Okay, if Caleb has a bad game, then we're screwed. There's a little bit of a bounce, but you need to still let love take those shots and they're going to go in a fair enough amount of times that you're still going to get the good value out of that. I don't think he took necessarily any terrible shots. He had one bad turnover and maybe one three point shot that was a little too quick, I think in this past game. But otherwise, you know, no one ever gives credit to the opponent. Cincinnati was a top ten defensive team, TCU was a top ten defensive team, the top twenty defensive team, and West Virginia is the top twenty defensive team, and he scored twenty four against them. So the opponents have something to do with it. And if they are forcing a player into bad shots, they get some credit for that.
Speaker 3: What do you having played the position and he just had a different situation. But what do you make of Awaka and Townsend? Towns I like his shot.
Speaker 4: He can get a shot off, but he needs like three more inches, So what do you make of it?
Speaker 3: Bright of them?
Speaker 2: For me, I think Townsend is I mean, he is a great mid major player who at the power level is always going to be massively undersized, so he has to find ways to make the most of what he can do despite being against bigger guys, and I think he does. He's able to get shots up he needs to, despite the fact that he's only six to six, he still needs to be taking most shots close to the rim, even though it looks like a mismatch. I think people may defend him in a certain way that they don't think he can get the shot off a waka. You know, he gets his hand on almost every missshot. It's just a matter of whether or not he can hold on to it. It seems like he's really struggled with actually holding on to rebounds lately, and his offensive game really is is about putbacks and stuff really close to the basket. I don't see a lot of value in trying to run the offense through him. That the high low game just isn't there with him. It would probably actually be better with a guy like Towns and because he can get go up and down from Ken in the pass and going up much quicker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I agree, I agree. I agree. The good thing. The good thing is I think that they have the bench now right with Henry, and they have kJ coming off the bench, and well, Dolors, he's another one that you have to kind of figure out he's got to hit some shots. If he's going to be serviceable, he's got hit at least three or four shots. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he had the first five four or five points of the game against Cincinnati, and then he really didn't play much after that. And I think that was more they they were going with Vsar and Bryant and Townsend, a mix of those guys, and then having the three guards with Lewis out there, that that del Orso was the odd man out. But you know, it's not terrible to have an odd man out. These previous teams they had to have. They they had to use the same seven or eight guys and really had to rely heavily on them. If one of them doesn't really get to play very much because the other ones are doing well, then that's that's a good problem to have. And I believe that Tommy Lloyd has mentioned that the timeouts are a little longer in the big twelves. I guess to where he can play guys for more minutes. He doesn't have to rest guys as much because they have more of the TV rest, Like and Bradley played thirty eight minutes the last two games, and that's probably going to be the case. So even though they go eight deep, that doesn't mean that the three guys on the bench have to play thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question. What about Henry, I think everyone's going to start to like how he's playing because he's playing on a cupboard trend and he's uh, he's you know, he's a stretch. He's the guy that Grant Jarrett should have been many years.
Speaker 2: Ago, remembering some guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you think all the time he was a stretch five and then he was here. I'm not going to be here anymore. I gotta go. But you know what I'm saying, he's perfect for this. If he hits maybe a shot or two from the perimeter. He I made mention he would playing with such better feat this last couple of games, he just seems more confident on it where he is in his own skin, so making someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't have to take or make many of those outs, just even the threat of it works. And this last game against Cincinnati, there were multiple times where see when Awaka is out on the perimeter for ball screen and all that they don't have to guard him when he gets the ball because they know he's not taking that shot, and he's probably also not going to drive, so it's basically a five on four. But when Vsar's out there, they have to pay attention to him because he may try to drive, he may try to shoot, and there were multiple times where he kind of did a little bit of a pump fake, then started to drive and then passed out to a wide open three. That is that's where his value is more than anything else, just the threat of the fact that if he has the ball out there, he can do something with it a waka. They didn't have that, and same with Crebus. Those are not things that those guys were going to do now. I still he hasn't faced like the super physical big man yet in the Big twelve, so that's where I need to see what he can do. He's he you know, West Virginia is an undersized team. Cincinnati was long, but they weren't like massive in the front court, and TCU wasn't particularly big in the front court either. If he's going up against big, physical guys, that's where I want to see him on a defensive side and being able to post up. Well.
Speaker 3: I think it's obvious too that we're gonna see eight dudes. He feels more comfortable with eight guys than nine or ten, you know, and that's typically what he used to do anyway. Right, If he feels a trust in those eight, he's gonna stay with those eight part of the rest of the way, even with the guard.
Speaker 2: Certainly, and you'll, I mean, you'll have opportunities here and there where Conrad will play a little bit. And then I mean, heck, I wouldn't be surprised, not this game, but UCF on Saturday if he tries to get both Conrad and the Emmanuel Stephan maybe like two or three minutes in the first half. Kind of the equivalent of the NBA regimen where you have your starters sit the last minute or two of the first quarter and the first few of the second quarter to save them for later, just to be able to get those guys in there and save the other player's legs. But it really does come down to those eight and eight is better than seven, and they've had seven in the past. Now it would be nine if if Creebus hadn't been hurt. So, but you don't just automatically bring another guy into the rotation because someone's hurt. You change the opportunities and roles for the eight.
Speaker 3: To both of you, and you've covered the team a long time, Brian to know this. I think that historically Arizona being called out or not being recognized or whatever words you want to use, helps them because they have a chip on their shoulder. Historically that's just been the case. Arizona's already been cutted out. They're not even the top twenty five, YadA YadA, and they play differently. They just played to prove themselves.
Speaker 2: Well. I think they play the way that people thought they were supposed to because and maybe they're not playing any differently, but it's because there's this now belief, okay, they're not to be good that when they do play well, it's like where has this been? It's been the whole way. It's just, you know, it's it's not manifested into wins. I mean, I don't think any of the games that they've lost they played terrible. They had bad stretches, but they also were playing very good teams. I think Wisconsin is the only one of the teams they've played this year that has more than two losses, and Oklahoma just lost its first game. The other day, Duke is top ten and is you know, going to run away with its conference. They've played good teams, they just haven't beaten any good teams until they got to Cincinnati. And maybe Cincinnati isn't as good as their ranking, but it's still It's a road win in the Big Twelve, and you know they're going here with West Virginia. The road sweeps were always hard to get in the Pac twelve with the travel and all that you'd play two games in three days, but there were I think there were like six of them last year and Arizona had one. There were only three road sweeps out of thirty five opportunities last year in the Big twelve, and Arizona has a chance to get one on its first try.
Speaker 3: Nice let me ask you, you've I know you're trumping as a bit to get to spring practice with football. What do you think that how do you think that Brendan has done to this point with the portal and handling stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they've made them the best of a bad situation with the need to overhaul so much, and they still have more guys they need to get. But I think that this they these are guys they want rather than guys they were given. And I'm sure that to some that's going to sound like a cop out, but I think it's a lot easier for coaches to coach the guys that they want rather than the ones that they're handed. And especially when those players have had success with a previous coach, you're you're just assuming that it will translate over into success with this coach. But styles are different and all that, blah blah blah. That's why you see a lot of these guys are following Jed up to Washington because that is something that worked for them. Now, these guys who all have chosen to come here either signing out a high school, junior college, or the transfer portal, they're doing it specifically for what they believe this coaching staff can do for them. And so the spring is going to be a great opportunity to see what this coaching staff can do as far as developing and putting together the players that it has assembled, rather than trying to, you know, slide in to a pre existing condition, if.
Speaker 4: You will, Okay, Brian Peterson with Asy Desert Swarm.
Speaker 3: Thanks a bunds Brian, Thanks guys, take care. Let's take a break here, come back and talk about some other things, the same kind of things, but you know, more in depth, and to maybe take a few calls. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Net is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal wild get lemanhuntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life.
Speaker 3: We off a.
Speaker 13: Complete line of caudio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 3: Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. Offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, oh Daniel Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 9: It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Weston La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences, benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fall baumb Crowley Investment Group at RBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 1: This is I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show?
Speaker 3: Call up?
Speaker 1: Steve now went five to two oh four one six, seventy four to forty.
Speaker 3: They we'll come back to lying about hero Pock Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Andy Brown yess Alice, not Jagins Sauce anymore. It's more sensible.
Speaker 4: I found a lot of cool people feel his seat though. Yeah, yes, I bet that wasn't easy to do.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: I have a long list of people and sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no. It depends on the schedule. Yep.
Speaker 4: Sometimes life gets in the way. You feel like I'm nut sometimes. Still you've got my boy wanting here. Yes, sir, helping me out. Obviously you're here. Tomorrow should be yeah, okay, school starts next week. Yeah, unfortunately, got to get back to all right, I should be I should be thankful.
Speaker 3: That's my last one, your last semester. All right, hopefully nice. You've got to pass those classes first.
Speaker 2: First things.
Speaker 3: First, can be an athlete and say, you know, what the hell my last measure? The hell with that. My GPA is what it is. As long as I get out of there with the sea, I'm good. Yeah. See he's getting degrees.
Speaker 4: They do. I remember getting a CEA in a class cost accounting, first County Classic, took upper managed, upper class, and I walked into the last day and I go in my passing his class. He said, we'll see how you doing the final. I got a in the final, failed everything else. You gave me a scene and said you should probably change your major. You're more like a finance guy. Okay, good idea. You'll never see me again, Luke, howit's turned out. Thanks for the scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you probably when you do the Hall of Fame, says, oh, by the way, my accounting what's it was.
Speaker 4: It account classes, County cost accounting. Remember his name, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: You can just say in your Hall of Fame speak and by the way, I want to thank you. Really, I have to my accounting professor who got me out of the professional.
Speaker 4: I just remember him going, mister Brown, what are you doing here? I'm here to take the final. He goes, well, you need an A. I go, I know, yeah, I did that. I did that in a freshman math algebra. I went to my first class. It was seven thirty in the morning.
Speaker 3: I hated. I hate the mornings. Went took a couple of classes and it was self paced pace, self paced, and I and I did okay, I did okay, But I didn't go to class, and so they went to the last class to take the final. He didn't have me, So you're in the classes, said yeah, I've been in the classes day one.
Speaker 2: Because I don't have you on the list.
Speaker 3: I said, I've been here. I mean, I've been here before at least twice. And you don't have to do exactly what you're past. Okay, And I pulled it off. Yeah, yeah, Now I'm a finance guy. Yeah that was And that was a journalist. So hell with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, he didn't need math. No, I was bro No, you don't know, you know three times three years to nine. Well, enough about us, enough about us. You want to call please do five two zero for one, six seventy four forty. We love to hear from you. We haven't heard from anybody. I've been gone for this break. It was pretty nice. It was nice two days. I actually I had another question for Brian. I wish we could have had more time with him. I wanted to see I wanted to ask him if he thought coach has done enough to fill his coordinator spots or filling in his well coach.
Speaker 3: The big mystery is what's going to happen with the defensive coordinator? Right, and and we can kind of speculate that he hasn't announced it by now, right after a month or so after.
Speaker 4: This, so everybody's kind of taken up, right, The people that you would think you would go after are kind of gone and tied up.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It might make some shifts in the in house.
Speaker 4: Sows you're gonna internally promote promote from within?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is that a good idea? Or is it? I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you though this because Brian, one of your listeners, asked me that question. Oh yeah, you want me to bring it up? Yeah, but you know, he wasn't too happy about the non moving of what right you know, I understand totally. Let me ask you a question that you can answer or not answer. But he brought up the fact that Brian died about players coming to play here wanting to play for for Brennan. Right, you're coming here for a reason. You want to play for him. You want to come to a good school, have a chance to play. Uh and as opposed to what you were inherited. And I when I have talked to I've said there was some and I actually this all the time. People are saying, shut up, Steve, there was disconnect between the past and the present and that sometimes you know, you said, that's not how we used to do it. Why are we doing now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? And they have a hard time playing for a coach like we gotta call you know what I'm saying, Yeah, I guess that part. Yeah, yeah, Hey, welcome to the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's just.
Speaker 11: Steve.
Speaker 14: This is John John Good. I love the show and all that your your guests, But I wanted to tag. I wanted to tag onto the academics. Many years ago, I was in college. I was in college in Michigan and it was freezing in the winter, and I had a you know.
Speaker 3: Like a seven thirty eight.
Speaker 14: O'clock in the morning algebra yeah class, and couldn't make it. And I ended up going in and told the lady, Uh, I've had personal problems and gotta see.
Speaker 3: So did you go to class at all? Maybe a few times? You know, same deal. Yeah, I said, I'm not gonna get it. It is self faced anyway, I take my classes in nice. Oh, crass was easy for me. Me too, That's why I didn't do it. That's why I didn't worry about it. It was easy until again, well then I have to really do well at the end. No, I get it. To get Any thoughts on the basketball team tonight?
Speaker 14: The game, Yeah, well I'm excited. I think it should be a good game. I you know, I'm buying all the platforms, the ESPN Plus and uh YouTube TV and all that, and uh.
Speaker 15: You know, I hope it's a good game.
Speaker 2: That's what you want.
Speaker 14: I want to win, But if it's a good game, that's exciting. There's a lot of pressure on the young guys. Yeah, and uh, you know, I hope we're evolving and make it to the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you're You're in lockstep with everybody else in this town because I think there's still some doubt, right, Yeah, there's a lot of doubt. Yeah, people like we.
Speaker 4: Don't not going to make the tournament, Yeah, which would be kind of and that's a reaction.
Speaker 3: I mean I probably said it three or four times over.
Speaker 14: The last four games, respectfully respects even in the uh loud Olson era that I I took graduate classes for twenty years so I could get student seats and take my kids and.
Speaker 3: Went all those games.
Speaker 14: And now it's hard for me to get down there.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know, the.
Speaker 14: Games I really enjoyed were the ones that went down to the wire, not the blowouts, even though you got to see the gummies. But you know, I saw that Craig McMillan and all, uh you know that Hail Mary lay up or whatever he did, and a lot of.
Speaker 2: Great games, and uh, enjoy the show.
Speaker 3: Thank mcshotshot. Yeah, thanks a bunch for the call. We got another call, good call, thank you. Oh you're on the air. And I on the ball.
Speaker 2: Who's this Facatiously, I'm gonna say it's Howard.
Speaker 3: Oh, Howard scored Howard. You're alive? Were new Year?
Speaker 15: Okay? I know, yeah, we're did You said that good guy that torched just the last time. And it's so rare to have played two games against the same team, no matter if you're in their conference or not, as we all know, being when tournaments, that will happen. Anyway, that said, the guy not there, I guess is that the reason why I think we're gonna win anyway, even if.
Speaker 2: He was there.
Speaker 15: But we're only we're two and a half point favorite, as you probably know, Steve, No.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. That's about right, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah said this morning. That's what I saw this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it makes sense. I don't know how hostile the crowd will be because it's not school time right now, but and it's cold and snowy. Well, that's true. Maybe their kids aren't there.
Speaker 4: Right or the people because it's going to be hard to get to too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well you telling me that, I'm pretty positive that we're gonna the U of A is gonna win by whatever. Half to that the Sun's better win by against a really crappy Charlotte Hornet's team.
Speaker 3: Hey, real quickly with your sons, you like him, they haven't been playing well, then Bill's Benson.
Speaker 15: We're we're playing at the bad level where we were. Finally we needed to bring Beale off the bench.
Speaker 2: You know, it's we are weird.
Speaker 15: But you when Booker and Beale play the same position, you need to bring the guy that that that's kind of that's more injury prone off of the bench and who has no trade clause and they are getting a swing of it. He needed to be brought off the bench and we wouldn't be in the Holy are just like the lowly Warriors. I mean we're a little worse, but I mean we're way better team than the Warriors don't have they.
Speaker 3: Don't have anything.
Speaker 15: That's why they need to get Jimmy Butler worse than the Suns. Or they really want to try to get Miles Turner out of Indiana.
Speaker 2: That's that's their rumors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Well, I'm gonna take off my Golden State attire now and move on you bye bye, Okay, Howard's our Phoenix course, bond I get it locally locally. Uh, we'll see you know, Bidy Bill, would you rather have breda bal or what's his name from from Miami? Butler? Butler Butler? Yeah, but they're both. They're both well. Butler's also kind of headache. Butler's due though.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like him. I think, well, he's obviously not happy where he is.
Speaker 10: He's that player that you need, Like we've talked about that ala, just the guy that you know they're going to take the shot and whether they make it or not, you know it's gonna Yeah.
Speaker 4: Alpha just just a mean dog autpha. They don't have an alpha.
Speaker 3: They need an alpha they need or he needs to show or if he's there, he needs to start showing up. He got a bunch of a minus. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Bradley is still that kind of a I like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna have to be last.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: I thought he was selfish the whole Yeah, and he finishes he.
Speaker 4: Said like I said, he's selfish or looks selfish, but you need selfish.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Hey, by the way, I have to we're gonna be at the Diamond or not Diamond, We're going to be at the casino. Still here on Thursday. A lot of stuff to get to here. We have a couple of minutes, right maybe see they're gonna have the the Mobe seasonal selections, Citrus Orange, Honey Chicken Wings. Have you been there? Oh it sounds I'm gonna have something next Thursday, the the Cosmic Bingo, Pajama Party, Late Nights, Switter Party, December Salon or whatever. Uh that's that was just pass the Solo Sports So where we have our show in the Solo Sports great Place. I'm sure you've been there. Very nice place to go watch events. It's just so far away from the house. Well, it's just out there called entertainment. Son, Yes, you do that for a living. You do work out there anymore? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, once I opens that cup, Yeah, okay you did, and then you didn't and then you're back. No, we do, we did, we do, Okay, we did a lot, we did a little.
Speaker 3: Okay, And then they have a thousand, one hundred thousand Super Paper Rock Scissors Casino Del Sol is giving Club Soul members a chance to win one hundred thousand dollars in cash in the one hundred thousand Super Paper Rock and Scissors game. Members can swipe daily. January second through the twenty seconds for free virtual drawing. Every ticket into the weekly Saturday Virtual drawings or participations or or participants selected. The winners have a chance to win up to five hundred dollars in free play or the grand prize of one hundred thousand dollars. Is that the actual game or you're doing rock papers. I guess every one hundred slot table points is an additional entry ticket into the drawing. I don't know. I think it's probably just automatic digital, Yeah, automat you know, talk about digital.
Speaker 4: How about the new golf, the new golf that McElroy is coming out with, the digital Golf.
Speaker 3: It's a whole digital golf league playing video games. Anybody and anybody's like you do on all with kids. Yeah, they yeah, and they're playing. I know it'll be horrible to that, but that's at least somewhere I don't have to chase the ball. Start.
Speaker 4: I guess that starts this weekend. I think it's why I don't play, because I don't get my ball in the snake land. Maybe it'll come up on the hot news here and.
Speaker 3: I use the scuba gear to get the ball from the leak because my ball my my golf balls.
Speaker 2: Love the leak.
Speaker 3: Can't this?
Speaker 4: My wife goes, hey, I want to buy your uh your future future son in lawesome golf balls.
Speaker 3: What kind of you like?
Speaker 4: I go free l golfers like free golf ball You kidding me?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what kind they are. They're free.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're gonna have like fifteen ye second sports rider. The reason you get into this business free food, free food. Yeah, the food. We don't get the free food anymore. Oh my goodness. You got the same food up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh yeah, because you're up there hot and the chickens, chicken chicken tenders.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not complaining as good salt. You know you're you're a student.
Speaker 4: Yeah, free food, but after sixteen years of it, Yeah, that's how long I've been up there. You've been up there long enough than that. But I don't go to football games that much anymore. But it's it's yeah, I go for the sodas now, Yeah, sodas and the chips and salsa.
Speaker 3: That is what it is. Okay, we're ready to go. Can we breaking news on the other side? Okay, cool,