Speaker 1: Can I just say, Steve, you have not pressed any of your bodily function sound effects on your keyboard, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Actually I did, but you don't have headphones on, so you didn't have them.
Speaker 1: Well wifty com and fame my pain, my honeys, my brain, Oh whiskey.
Speaker 2: Don't why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's Three Whiskey Happy Hour. Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You, and the international Woman of Mystery, Lucretia.
Speaker 3: Where this lapdopp and live. It ain't easy on the soul taps. Gotta give me and let that whiskey cloone.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone to this edition, which is super special of the Three Whiskey Happy Hour because the three of us are together in Texas at the School of Civic Leadership for a conference on the Pursuit of Happiness, and we all still have with us a very special guest, Phil.
Speaker 5: It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought it was me. I feel like I've been a guest for five years. Listen to your crack pots, trousi and stuff.
Speaker 4: You're always our favorite guest. I'm sorry to have to tell you that, Phil, but John's our favorite guest.
Speaker 2: Well, Phil has been begging like a dog to get on for the longest time, so it's a funny time to get.
Speaker 5: And we want to work on you know.
Speaker 2: But actually, Phil, we can either beat up on you or we can recruit you to help us beat up on John because you know that's our favorite.
Speaker 3: Because it still won't be fair fight. I need two more you guys.
Speaker 4: If he ever beats up on me, I wish they would so I could really go after him. Anyway. Anyway, we're very happy to be together. It's it's a lot of fun to spend time with these guys, honestly, if I have to be honest, and we have a really great show for you today. First we want to talk for just a moment about what's going on in Washington, d C. You know, it's it's actually funny. There's really serious news going on. But what is the news dominated about by Tiger Woods. I suppose that's because of his connection to the president. And then of course Christy nom who's asking her husband if there's anything he needs to get off his chest.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I hope I still the creat is out there taking notes.
Speaker 3: We thought, you know, we thought.
Speaker 5: Trump Trump came in and got rid of the EI.
Speaker 2: We would have thought he would have exiled all the cross dressers from Washington, but apparently not.
Speaker 3: That was not on my Bengo car out. Oh.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if cross dressing is well. I don't. I don't want to discuss it. That's enough of that. I suppose that in a slow news time, if they'd rather talk about that than they're on war. How do you think thereon war's going, John, I think.
Speaker 3: It's going extremely well.
Speaker 1: When the only military problem you have is right, elimiting small units running around the coastline of the Strait of Horror moves, that means we have completed all the other objectives. Right, So we're flying B fifty two's over Iran now, which are sitting ducks. If you actually had any airing aircraft missiles, we've got Apache helicopters. That means you have complete air dominance. There's I think I saw something like fourteen thousand targets now hit and Trump. I mean, you love him or you hate him for his rhetoric, but last night he says, you know, we're going to bomb him back to the Stone.
Speaker 3: Age, and then he goes where they belong.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, you know, I really think people don't understand how military campaigns work. There's not a video game where it's over in two or three hours. This is actually, again a tremendous feed of American arms. Now that's totally different than what the political solution should be. But you can't win a war more militarily in a more military dominant way than what we're doing with Iran.
Speaker 3: I think maybe the problem is Trump's.
Speaker 1: Lack of rhetorical ability actually makes it difficult for him to explain to the country how well the war is going.
Speaker 4: But he does have some very articulate underlings who could do that for him. Marco Rubio is great. Pete hag Seth gets so much fun made of him. You know, he's he's vilified by everybody that he may not be taken quite as seriously, but he's also.
Speaker 3: A very I think he's doing a good job.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think he's doing way better at this than he has at the other things he's been up to. And I think, you know, Dan raising Kane right like, he's doing a good job explaining it's just people expect outrageous results outside the realm of reality, right like they kind of think the Iranians were going to just surrender.
Speaker 2: Now, poor Phil, we're just walking all over you here at the opening, you should say.
Speaker 3: Hello and Phil. I thought we were done with Phil. Still hear he's still here.
Speaker 2: Well, they could comment about John a question, a technical question that if anybody knows anything about it might be you, John, because I don't. I know, I don't, but I'm hol enough to remember Lyingbacker too, and youone know.
Speaker 3: What that was. Yeah, from Vietnam exactly.
Speaker 2: But we lost a lot of B fifty twos in the closing weeks of that because you know, the Phoviet supplied air defenses were pretty good against those high altitude bombers. And you mentioned the B fifty two is can fly now with impunity. Is that because the Iranian has never bothered to get any serious.
Speaker 1: An No, no, no, they had top lines. I was about to say, Soviet, Russian and Chinese air defense systems. This is why China and Russia are freaking out, because it showed Venezuela and Iran had you know, Russian and Chinese anti aircraft defense systems. And they haven't shot down a single American Israeli plane, not one. We lost more in the Persian Gulf War just seen as one of the great all time successes.
Speaker 3: That's Phil. Phil pulled the.
Speaker 1: Fire alarm to stop me from talking.
Speaker 4: It's just a test. Sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I'm gonna just go off on a tangent here for a moment. I'm trying to explain to my students in class yesterday what it was like for the for the for those of us who grew up during the years of the Cold War, what it was like when we got those alerts, and how we would, you know, be told to find shelter, Go under your desk, put your leg, your head between your life and Chris you can cover, kiss your you know what. Goodbye is what we all understood, even at a very young age, like your desk was going to protect you from a nuclear attack. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Why there is this great scene from Airplane you or that joke movie. I'm sure it's one of Steve's favorite movies. A lot of Steve's humor clearly comes from Airplane I remember, like they're going down animal, there's just like very you know, demure woman who dresses like Lucretia with the Catholic cross and everything sank to the man in the passenger, I'm a virgin, and if we're all gonna die, could you? And then it would and then like five minutes later she's with another guy, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Virgin before we go down. Throughout the movie they would show her like with a different No.
Speaker 2: I do remember an episode from the nineteen eight too, Israeli Syrian War, really right, and that was another case of where American technology was so far superior. And the Arab said of the Soviets, Syrians and others said, so you know, you gave us these surface to air missiles. Next time, we would like surface to plane missiles, please, So you can ask something.
Speaker 1: But once you're seeing about this before, at least feel still here did we get rid of No?
Speaker 3: He's so? I actually no, no.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: I actually studied the Israel Syrian War for a book I wrote, And it's not the equipment.
Speaker 3: This is the interesting thing.
Speaker 1: Soviet equipment sometimes was better rated than American equipment, but it was a command and control on how to fight. Yeah, and so these and I'm sure this happened in ron. Especially in countries where you don't trust the loyalty of people, you have to very strict hierarchical command and control, and American and Israeli fighting is lowest commanders make the decisions. You're allowed to improvise, take initiative, and it kicks the crap out of these So if you're China you're thinking about invading Taiwan, you're a little worried right now because American technology plus training and organization crushes Russian and Chinese centralized control command and control.
Speaker 3: Forces, even if the technology is inferior. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's like something about the difference between Plato and Aristotle. I'm sure, like we're the Platonic fighters and they're like the little ants that Aristotelian fighters over in Russian China.
Speaker 4: You know, we can actually, I know, you could muscles out of the sky. Now, remember when during the nineteen eighties that was considered Star Wars technology and Reaganagan was absolutely right, was right again. But what it reminds me of is is how there is just this huge pantheon of opposition to whatever Trump does. That was the same thing with Reagan. You know, the Soviets believed we could do Star Wars what was it called the.
Speaker 3: Strategy, But you know, I always thought.
Speaker 2: I always thought calling it Star Wars was a huge blunder of the left because your average American said.
Speaker 3: Oh, Star, I love Star Wars. You could do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they pulled, always pulled really well, and you know, so that was okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well yeah, Phil is Phil still here?
Speaker 4: Okay. I'm gonna you guys stop being mean to phil' and ask Phil some questions which I know. I've actually had about half a dozen people reach out to me, listeners reach out to me over the last i'm gonna say, eight nine months asking about this question, believe it or not. And I keep saying, yes, we're gonna get Phil Munos on and he's going to explain it to us. I want Phil to explain where we are after the Kennedy versus Bremerton decision, which came out at right about the same time as the Dobbs decision. The Kennedy versus Bremerton. Dobbs is the you know, overturning abortion rights. The Kennedy versus Bremerton is a First Amendment freedom of religion decision, and it was really quite earth shaking, but it didn't get very much attention. So take it away, but tell listeners.
Speaker 3: What that case was about. Sure, well, it's great to be here. I think.
Speaker 5: You'll regret it by the time we're donn Well, it's I.
Speaker 6: Know, I'm very thankful to be here for a reason. You guys don't even know. It's it's Holy week. We're recording her in Holy week and recently went to confession and my priest was like, you need to find do something very penitential.
Speaker 3: And so when you offered, I thought, perfect, nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't understand any string of words.
Speaker 4: To find somebody poor and give them some money.
Speaker 6: Phil that's what I'm completing the sacrament by being here with you.
Speaker 1: Can we give them one of the would call those things the scourges that you hit yourself with.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's go elevates. Elevate your game, phill Oh Kennedy Kennedy v.
Speaker 6: Bremerton, UH Supreme Court decision that involved a high school football coach who would prey on the fifty yard line after the team's games. So public high school and you know how like the NFL play players and sometimes the coaches gather on the fifty yard line.
Speaker 3: So this coach would do this.
Speaker 6: In Bremerton, Washington, outside of Seattle, a big naval naval base there, and he'd done this practice, this prayer practice for years, I think something like seven years, and then it wasn't a big deal. And the way it actually gets attention is an opposing coach mentioned it to someone in the superintendent's office, the public school office, and said, you know, it's great that this coach is able to do this, and like within a week, the superintendents that told him, you can't do this anymore, and it caused a local stir and he ended up they told him you can go pray in the press box as long as after the game, as long as the students can't see you, and he was, you know, sort of obstinate about it, and then the community really supported him. So he was always praying the fifty yard line and then the game all of sudden became about him in this episode, and so his contract wasn't renewed.
Speaker 3: So he basically got fired.
Speaker 6: In his story for praying on the fifty yard line a high school football game. Okay, fast forward, it gets all the way to the Supreme Court. Supreme Court rules in favor of coach Kennedy and says the school districts violated his free exercise rights, free exercise of religion. But the real importance, or the trinal importance, it was that the court said, and all of that establishment claused jurisprudence, that where previous courts said a wall of separation and the Lemon test, which is the way they enforced the wall of separation, were abandoning that. Now that was the court's term, a term they used that those precedents have been abandoned. And I don't quite know why they said abandoned. They didn't overturn. They just said, we've stopped using these precedents. So it seems it seems that they were instructing the lower courts to stop saying that the First Amendment erects a wall of separation, and also to stop using Lemon the three part Lemon test. All laws must have a secular purpose, cannot advance religion, and cannot cause excessive entanglement with religion. Such a vague test you could reach whatever result you wanted, and yet, and often to the detriment of religious believers. So supposedly those precedents have been abandoned and therefore presumably should not be used now. But what can when now to finally get to your question, well, what does this mean. What does the establishment clause actually now prohibit? If it's not the wall of separation, what is it? What can the state not do visa an establishment of religion? And here it's just not clear. Just we don't have a clear doctrine. Justice Scalia said state cannot coerce religion because religious establishments were coersive. It's plausible the court seems to be disposed to look at the history and tradition to find out what is allowed. But of course that something's allowed doesn't tell you what's prohibited. So right now, I think we don't have a clear understanding of what the establishment clause prohibits a legislator, legislature, or a school district. It's just not clear what is prohibited by the First Amendment.
Speaker 4: So I think that the question has taken on in some ways a new importance because people because you're seeing an interesting sort of alliance between maybe call it fundamental Christians and Muslims, first of all asking for a free exercise of religion, but on the other hand, then the same Christians who might have been pushing for prayer in schools and reading the Bible in schools are now getting very concerned about the possibility. Here we are in Texas, where you know, there's rumors all the time that entire cities are being erected that are going to have there They're going to be you know, Islamic cities with Sharia law and so forth. You know, who knows about all of that. But it does bring up some interesting questions because we've even had these these sort of questions before. Is there a fundamental separation of church and state that would prevent any kind of religion from taking hold in any sort of official way. And if we have prayer and schools we started talking at the beginning, if we have prayer and schools, how long before then we have to have equal time and we have to you know, pray towards Mecca.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the big question, the next really big question, could be do we have is it constitutional to have prayer in public schools? The leading president or one of the leading precedents still in the books nineteen sixty two Ingle Versus Fatale, there's.
Speaker 3: The regent's prayer.
Speaker 6: The regent's prayer was a prayer composed by the regents, the officials in charge of the new York school district. And it was a very simple prayer, one sentence. Gosh, I can't remember it off the top of my head, but.
Speaker 3: It was, oh great, pumpkin, wasn't it something like that, you.
Speaker 6: Know, thank God for the blessings of the country in our families and easily look it up. That was ruled unconstitutional in nineteen sixty two. So perhaps we'll have questions about post the Ten Commandments in school, But the really big question will be can you have prayer led by the school district or the teacher, even composed by the teacher? Is prayer in public school? School led prayer constitutional?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean well, I certainly wouldn't want some government written prayer that's generic and lowest common denominator. But what about jaff as mischievous suggestion from you know, thirty years ago? He said, look, you want to bring back prayer in public schools, Let's try this. He noted that forty nine of the fifty state constitutions have language. It sounds like the Declaration of Independence or the state constitutions from the seventeen eighties, even.
Speaker 3: Repeated by Alaska Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Our last two states have preambles that say grateful to God as the author of our rights, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And so why not say.
Speaker 2: School children shall recite the preamble to the state Constitution at the beginning of every school day and then watch the ACLU say that it's unconstitutional to recite the Constitution.
Speaker 5: I think that would be a fun day in federal court.
Speaker 6: Now, you're right, especially these early state declarations of rights and constitutions have reference to Almighty God and the Creator. And it'd be hard to say that the Massachusetts can't the school children mass Jessas can't recite the beginning of the seventeen eighty Massachusets Institution. But I think, you know, I think the the people who really want prayer in school, really they really want prayer in school. They don't want a civic document. They want prayer. And whether that's a good idea, whether it's constitutional is one question. Whether it's a good idea, is it also a separate question?
Speaker 4: John, what do you want to say?
Speaker 1: Can we talk about something interesting? I'm so bored over here.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, we were talking about shooting down Russian Jatson. Now we're talking about some coach wants to pray at the fifty yard line some two bit.
Speaker 3: High school football game. Come on, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, okay, I can draw a veil over well, we could, you know. Jerry Bradley has this article out in First Things about how to fight her way back through to angle and overturn it or something, and.
Speaker 3: I don't know I did.
Speaker 2: I always like Ronald Reagan saying, you know, we made a mistake when you could do. I think a spurious correlation between the decline of education and the end of school prayer. Or there's the cynics who say, as long as there are exams, there will still be prayer in schools.
Speaker 1: But Phil does think that judicial review isn't necessary for exemptions like this, right, you still trust the legislature and the executive branch to create the exceptions and think that the courts are doing too much.
Speaker 6: Well that yeah, that's for free exercise clause. So but here on the establishment clause. I mean, the prayer in public school is. Look the argument Jerry Bradley has his Peace and First Things, which very very thoughtful, and it basically says, look, there's the type of prayer you could compose for public school kids. Is a prayer that it is based on natural theology, so theology that's accessible to reason, that there is a God, that we should be thankful for being alive, and you really, you know, thank you for the blessings of our country, thank you for creating us with endowing us with rights. I think you could say that on reasonable grounds, meaning grounded in human reason, does not derive from revelation. Also, is not sectarian. Its Catholic prayer. It's not a Jewish prayer. So I think you could do that constitutionally. Perhaps the difficulty is it uses religion for civic purposes. It instrumentalizes prayer, and I don't that's somewhat problematic. I think it treats prayer as a means and not an end.
Speaker 3: But why But here I saw this question.
Speaker 1: Why if you think courts shouldn't intervene in the free exercise area, why should they intervene in the establishing clause area too? Why not let them all be subject to enforcement by the legislature and the government and the political process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but the court shouldn't intervene for exemptions because exemptions are not part of the right. So the court can intervene when the when the first Amendment is being violated, but it's not being violated when it simply burdens of religious believers.
Speaker 1: This clause isn't really a right either, right, it's a well limitation on government. It's to me it's like even less of an individual right than free exercise, because it says it's forbidding the government from right setting up a religion doesn't actually define that as a right that you have in you know, that little green paradise you guys call whatever that world is of the social contract or before?
Speaker 3: What is it called? Oh, state of nature? That's what it is.
Speaker 4: Here's here's my argument against your against your what did you call it? It becomes You said that turns prayer into instrumental That was it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: I would argue two things on that account. The sort of mundane thing is is that that habits are important. We learned that from Aristotle John that habits good habits, and the habit.
Speaker 3: Of is unaware of good habit manners.
Speaker 4: No, no, he means habits. He means that you are habituated to virtue. And I do think that in this in a very important sense, prayer, you know, just like you see pray before you have your you know, thank God before you eat, and people don't take that very seriously, but it's an important habit, phil isn't.
Speaker 2: Don't I recall that even a moment of silence has been objected to on separation of church and state grounds.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, in nineteen eighty five case called Wallacey Jaffe, that's a moment. There's a moment of silence law for prayer or voluntary meditation, and that was struck down by the.
Speaker 4: Court, which is nonsense because the whole but the argument behind it is that somehow school children are are too susceptible to the pressure of the moment and other not and they cannot be exposed in any way, which is the exact opposite of the argument that I'm making, which is I remember discussing with one of my old professors who was a sort of an atheist, but agreed that you could not you could not raise your children in a non religious household and then expect that they would later on in life decide to become you know, they might convert in all of that, but the chances of it were very very low, as opposed to children raised in a household that's religious, with religious habits and religious rights and so forth are much more likely to be religious. That's the argument I would make about prayer in schools, even if it is the kind of prayer you talk about, there's a secondary issue. Really quickly, I want to get to and get your thoughts and then we'll move on. And that is that in today's society, where it is obvious that the final project of the left is to make themselves gods. Yes, there's just no doubt about that. That's why you have transgenderism, you know, et cetera, et cetera. They don't want to be limited in any way by by nature, they don't want to be limited in any way by any kind of religious revelation, and so they want to be gods. And then they want to force their godhood upon everybody else so that they can feel very comfortable in that. Making themselves gods another reason why we should have at least a neutral support for religion in public spaces. I don't know what you think about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I would say, look, if specifically on a school district writing prayers, I have two concerns. One, the prayers are probably going to be pretty vacuous and you know, least offensive, lowest common denominator. So that's why I mean, maybe that's okay, that's not necessarily bad. Two the other fear is, I mean these prayers, like people who advocate the prayers assume that they will be writing the prayers, But you don't know who's going to be writing these prayers, and you don't know what gods these kids are going to be instructed to pray to. And so I'd be much more comfortable with a moment of silence, which actually recognizes both, look, there's a proper time for prayer, but also recognizes the limitations of state authority. We set aside a moment and invite everyone to prayer and thanksgiving in a way that you think is it appropriate. We set aside, we the state set up beside this moment because we think it's important, But it's not our job to tell you how to pray. You know, that's actually pretty civic and perhaps respectful of religion. I don't think that's really what the advocates of prayer and public school want.
Speaker 3: But I am more.
Speaker 6: Leary than perhaps many of them are about empowering government to write prayers because it involves an authority that I just don't think government officials should have.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine what the California State Prayer would be if the current government of California wrote it.
Speaker 1: The answer should go back to the nineteenth century, Steve's favorite time period, especially for the sanitation, and have no government run public schools at all. Obvious answer, right is just to privatize like it used to be for most of human history and just give everybody a voucher. And then you want to go to school where you know you waste time in the morning not memorizing and praying instead, you can do that if you want. And if you want to go to the Asian high school where we actually learned stuff, you can skip the prayer and go right to the mathematics.
Speaker 2: And you one more quick question for Phil I'm all for the moment of silence because.
Speaker 3: There is an objection to it.
Speaker 2: Was there is something reverential about that act and that's what the secular left hates. Question if we got that back, how we're going to stop the kids from looking at their phones?
Speaker 3: Well you should phone go ahead.
Speaker 4: Well, one other smaller point about this, and that is that even the Bible cannot be taught in schools, in public schools, and how crazy. Is that?
Speaker 2: Well, now, my public school got around it by teaching the Bible as literature.
Speaker 4: Of course, but your public school was how that was in like the nineteen thirties, right, But I mean, honestly, I am. I am sometimes utterly amazed at students complete lack of knowledge of anything having to do with you know, the literature of the Bible. As you would put, it's the most important book ever written from many points, I mean, anyway you look at it, honestly, and the fact that we are constitutionally prevented from learning about it in school is is I mean, it's just ludicrous.
Speaker 6: I had something. There's another path here too, which would be you open up the schools time before schools or at lunch where the kids can organize a Bible study, right, could even be led by a parent or a pastor, you know, and that you'd say, look, school begins at eight am, at seven thirty, you know, three days a week or every Friday, we're going to do a Bible study and let the let the kids and their parents organize themselves.
Speaker 3: And that doesn't have.
Speaker 6: To be excluded. Facilities could be used. It could be after school, could be during lunch. I actually quite liked the idea of school of during the lunch period the high school kids themselves organizing a once a week Bible study. I think that would be fantastic, and that sort of tokvillian voluntary association approach could be encouraged and nurtured in the schools. And I think that approach would be better both constitutionally but also just politically and culturally than imposition from the school itself on This is how we're going to pray.
Speaker 4: All right, sir. Yesterday John locked himself away in a tiny little room with a set of earphones on and listened all day long to the oral arguments made on behalf of the birthright citizenship case. I don't remember the name of it, John, and I apologize.
Speaker 7: He v.
Speaker 3: Barbara Barbara.
Speaker 4: I knew the Trump cart and John was telling us I want him to tell our listeners about how extraordinary it was for Trump of the Trump v. Barbara President Trump to show up at the sure remarkable.
Speaker 1: He's the first sitting president, we believe whoever showed up for an oral argument of the Supreme Court. And of course Trump's been quite the showman by doing this, bringing attention to the importance of the case. But but he doesn't have advisors as good as me, because if I was in charge of this visit, I wouldn't have had Trump sitting in the public gallery with all the other hoy, poloy, and apparently he sat silently. This must have been the longest period Trump's gone without talking.
Speaker 4: Like an anesthesia.
Speaker 1: I would have said, mister President, you have the right to go to the council table. Sit at the council table right next to the Solicitor General, and then you know, give hand signals and gestures to him while he's talking to the justices. Maybe make some faces at Amy Cony, Barrett and Brett Kavanaugh.
Speaker 3: Do thumbs down, thumbs up.
Speaker 1: And then once John Sower this General's done, guests stand up and give him a big bear hug and welcome back to the bench. I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea of having him sit there quietly by himself.
Speaker 3: Didn't you arguments, but.
Speaker 4: There's also a seat especially well.
Speaker 1: I had told you, but now you said it, so I want you to I was just about to get sorry no, But anyway, so I thought that was great. I don't think it changed the outcome of so you know, the listeners of the podcast probably listened to the oral arguments to or read the transcript.
Speaker 3: I don't hear a majority of.
Speaker 1: Justices in the oral argument who are willing to overturn the birthright rule. I thought, in particularly the most important you got three liberal justices, we're going to vote to keep the rule. I think it sounded to me like Alito definitely will vote against the rule. I actually couldn't tell from Justice Thomas's questions, although everyone assumes he'd vote to overturn birthright, but I'm not convinced of that. And then of the three justices in the middle, the Chief Justice and Amy Coney Barrett and Breck Havanaugh, the Chief Justice, you know, his questions were mostly skeptical of the government. And if that's the case, I think you're going to have at least five, if not six, justices who are going to Oh, and I forgot Justice Gorcich, who also he seemed troubled by the government's theory as it would apply to American Indians. That says sor bet Noir, is American Indians treatment of record.
Speaker 3: On that does? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And his question Actually it was weird because if you look listen closely. The Solicity General was not prepared for this. So Gorsich said, basically, well, under your new theory of birthright citizenship, are American Indians even citizens eligible for citizenship? And sour said, I think so, but and it goes but I'd have to think about that more, which means he actually did not have thought that through and doesn't didn't really have a position and might have lost gors such as vote just on that exchange. So that's why I see, I could see even see seven to two, maybe even eight to one against the government. I know a lot of people who listen to it think it's much closer. I think that's just because people aren't used to hearing how the Supreme Court conducts themselves, where they treat both sides with great seriousness and respect, and they really explore the intellectual issues.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Trump was bummed.
Speaker 1: He was like, no, nobody was hitting the table, there were no witnesses, no surprise rulings from the court.
Speaker 3: That's why he left in the middle. He was so bored, He's like, get me out of here.
Speaker 4: So I have a question for you, just on the Native American part. That one I don't even understand why they would bother to ask the question. I don't know what Gorsich's deal is, but anyway, that seems to me to be the most simple shrewd of microcosm of the birthright citizenship debate, which is that it was very clear when the Fourteenth Amendment was passed that Indians Native Americans were not included in the provision that made them citizens, and that it took an act of Congress to make them citizens. Based upon the legislative history of the fourteenth Amendment, it took an act of Congress to make them birthright citizens. And I think that that actually ought to that should prove to be the correct way to look at the entire birthright citizenship question, which is that no, we know what the purpose of the fourteenth Amendment was. It was to guarantee overturned read Scott, guarantee citizenship to the newly freed slaves and to their children, so that you know, states. It also made federal citizenship primary and state citizenship derivative, which was, you know, turn things on its head, make sure that the newly freed slaves were citizens. It was not intended, and I don't want to make the practical argument here. But the last clause I've said this before. The last clause of the fourteenth Amendment says Congress law have the power to enforce the provisions of this article by the appropriate legislation. That's what they did with Native Americans. Why is that even a question anymore? What the heck was Gorsich talking about? There's no constitutional question having to do with Native Americans.
Speaker 1: Well, the government's theory could be read to exclude Native Americans. You would have to treat the statutes including them in the citizenship as naturalization statutes. But were they considered naturalization they even think about it that way, or.
Speaker 3: So that's I think, I mean, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think Sour could just easily have answered the question and said, no, of course they are.
Speaker 3: This is not a tough question.
Speaker 1: But he was trying to figure out that the implications of the government's theory of citizenship might actually cause a problem for Native Americans. It could, I mean, it really could. I actually thought Sour did a pretty good job. But there were these justices who asked him questions that were quite big openings that he didn't take advantage of. For example, Lucretia's last statement was the first question Justice Thomas asked, He said, isn't the fourteenth Amendment's purpose about citizenship for the freed slaves?
Speaker 3: And Sowar could have made the argument.
Speaker 1: He eventually got to it only till late where he said, yes, the fourteenth Everyone would agree. At the time of the pastors of the fourteenth Amendment they were not thinking about illegal immigration because they didn't have a concept of illegal immigration.
Speaker 3: It was to correct the error of dred Scott.
Speaker 1: So the government's best argument, I think is we have changed circumstances.
Speaker 3: This is a thing they didn't think about.
Speaker 1: The rule seems absolute, but they didn't take this into account.
Speaker 3: They just didn't under they didn't have a concept.
Speaker 1: Of illegal immigration at the time, and that's not clear from the oral argument that that was the government mean's position, And there's.
Speaker 3: Until almost the end.
Speaker 1: So I think he did okay sort of responding negatively, but he'd not do a good job presenting a positive argument to persuade the court.
Speaker 3: He was on defense most of the time.
Speaker 1: The A CLU lawyer who I don't the best part was listening to a c l you lawyers talk about original understanding. What founder said this, I don't think she could enter the word founder was too painful. They come out, but right they were. She was on the offense most of the time. I mean she it was much easier for her at the oral argument. So that's why I was saying, I don't think the government's going to win if you just project from how it went well.
Speaker 2: Now, question for Phil what's this? Uh like Emily Lttello, what's this business about Madison and birthright citizenship? And where do you I mean, we know John's a squish on this, but we want to find.
Speaker 3: Out squish squish, what do you mean? Squish?
Speaker 1: That's a compliment for you, John, I thought you you Claremont people concocted this theory which is unsettling American law for two hundred and twenty five years.
Speaker 3: What that Wong cam Mark was? Wanngley decided that's why.
Speaker 1: Oh see, here we go, the true nativist, impulsive merchase.
Speaker 3: I knew it.
Speaker 6: Wellt So I I caution I'm hesitant to say anything because I just stumbled upon this letter by Madison and I sent it to John. I really I just stumbled upon it. I was looking for something else, and uh, there's I don't even know all the details off the top of my head, but there was a question about someone who was elected to the House of Representatives early on and on whether he could be seated because he was he a citizen. He had been born in South Carolina before the Revolution. His parents then brought him out of the country I think, to England. Then he came back and he after the revolution and was elected to the House. John do you remember was a South Carolina and the person who lost the election, Ramsey, I believe is the name, wrote to Madison and said, Hey, this guy should not be seated in the House because he's not a citizen. And Madison wrote back, and I sent this. This is what I stumbled up on. There's this letter from Madison to this David Ramsey, and Madison seems to associate citizenship with place of birth. Ah And now, no, I've not I read this letter really quickly. I fired off an email to John. I'm like, hey, has anyone referenced this letter since this case is going before the Supreme Court? And my impression, as John, is no one's actually talked about this letter, which maybe it's not important. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are some issues about citizenship that are specific to the founding period, to the revolutionary period, about whether or not you could be a citizen if you were not loyal and part of the body politic Once the revolution, once the Declaration was signed, that was the creation of the country, and there were lots of questions about who could and could not be a citizen at that time. And remember that's even articulated in the Constitution itself, which talks about, you know, what it means to be eligible for being for president and you had to be a how does it go? A naturalized citizen, a natural born citizen, and you had to have lived there for fourteen years? Yes, but why is the fourteen years there? Because they want to make sure that you fourteen years exactly is the time at which the you know, the revolution, the founding of the country in seventeen seventy six. So there's all of those questions that have to do with that particular question of citizenship. I don't think it's relevant because the whole discussion of the fourteenth excuse me of this Trump versus Barbara, is about the fourteenth Amendment and what does subject to its jurisdiction mean? I mean, ultimately, that's the constitutional question, is am I wrong, John, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, oh go ahead, no, no, no, no, I mean so I think, oh, sorry, So this thing bears on this letter, and then Lucretia thought bear on the There was a lot of turmoil at the time of the revolution because it re scrambled who was a citizen, because right until seventeen seventy six, they were all citizens the subjects of Great Britain. And so Madison's view is important, but his view is not determinative because it was up to the states to determine citizenship. So it comes up only because, as Lucretia says, you have to be a citizen to be eligible for certain federal offices, and so the federal government wouldn't need to make a determination, but they would look to see what the.
Speaker 3: States had found.
Speaker 1: But even so, even though that's the rule, there's this weird period between seventeen seventy six and the formation of the country where everything was scrambled and people were effectively choosing whether they were going to remain subjects or where they were going to be part of the new United States.
Speaker 3: And so I've always thought that was always.
Speaker 1: A good example for the Claremont Institute approach, which you guys believe in because it does suggest that there's this consent idea to it. If people are able to choose their citizenship in this period, then doesn't that suggest there's some kind of autonomous choice that you have to it. But I always thought that that doesn't set precedent because of this this weird revolutionary era where the normal rules are cleared out but the new rules are not yet fixed, And so I think it's I treat all the stuff from the revolution as a one off. But you could always say, look, even Madison thought it was birthplace, because nobody really had a different view. If there's anyone who would have had the Claremont view who was the social contract guy of his time, it would been medicine, and he doesn't take the view that you guys take.
Speaker 4: But again, the fourteenth Amendment is a game changer because it's well yes and no, because, as you put it, states determined citizenship not anymore, not after the fourteenth Amendment. It is in fact now a federal constitutional question about who is and who's not a citizen of the United States, and then they become a citizen of the state, not vice versa. So honestly, I don't see how any of those sorts of state appeals to come and law.
Speaker 3: Depends if the rule if you think so. What I think happened is that the fourteenth Amendment.
Speaker 1: Codified the rule what it was, which was birthplace, and what it was doing was eliminating the exception that Chief just Tawny created in dred Scott which is not there, which was to deny it to blacks.
Speaker 3: So that's what the rule did.
Speaker 1: Then the common law is really important because the fourteenth I haven't codified whatever it was all those states had been doing.
Speaker 3: You need to figure out what that is.
Speaker 1: And that's why we go back to the revolutionary period.
Speaker 6: But even the birth uh now I should say I I don't have any really considered opinions on this. So this is why you're so unsweet for podcasting.
Speaker 1: People don't listen to your philm millnos go, I don't know what to think. I don't have a view. I'm gonna give you both sides of the view because I'm mister wishy. Was she just drive down the middle of the road and hit me.
Speaker 6: I think my sins are now forgetting yeah, yeah, yeah, So look, the even if citizenship is connected to birth to being born on the territory in the country, doesn't it presume that you're born of of citizens, Like I think this conversation that we're having about Madison is that, well, because you you are, you're born here, your citizenship is through your parents who are citizens.
Speaker 1: Your citizenship is because you're just in the place, territory and the flag of the United States.
Speaker 8: Like why Actually, the doesn't because anywhere, Because consent as an operative principle means that you the individual, consent to be part of the regime, but also the regime, the existing people of the regime consent to you being there.
Speaker 6: Well, how a child can't consent, so the consent is to his parents, But the consent on the part of the community is that, well, your parents, we've accepted your parents, and therefore we except for individual.
Speaker 1: Like you have to the commedian has to consent. Every the consent is through the Constitution. I mean, two thirds of the Congress and three quarters of the states consented to the birthplace rule. That's why I don't when you guys say this consent thing, I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: Because the nation created, what.
Speaker 1: Did we consent to that every body born on the territory of the United States.
Speaker 4: But it specifically says in the legislative debates that it doesn't say everybody. It has all. It doesn't say everybody.
Speaker 3: It's all persons born.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't have it in front of me, but all persons born or naturalized on in the United States.
Speaker 3: And this is subject to the jurisdiction thereof.
Speaker 4: And so what does that mean?
Speaker 1: But already the background norm is birthplace in all the cases, So take out subject that we can talk about who's in that category. But outside of that category, it's birthplace regardless of parental citizenship. Like even you guys don't think that it's consent for everybody, right, Like if if you're born on the units, if you're just born in the United States and you don't fall into the exception, you agree that you're a citizen automatically or do you think, like, like you could be born so you could be Steve Hayward from a.
Speaker 3: Long line of America born in the United.
Speaker 1: States, and you're saying that when he turns whatever eighteen, we're going to have an evaluation where society decides to kick Steve out.
Speaker 4: From a theoretical point of view, know, but you mean from a theoretical no. No, From a theoretical point of view, when he turns eighteen, he makes a decision to consent or not to get.
Speaker 1: What he's saying is society also gets this, of course, and then so we could decide to kick Steve and every American out.
Speaker 4: That he probably wouldn't.
Speaker 3: No, no, but it doesn't he probably you're saying it could happen.
Speaker 4: What I'm trying to say is that it is up to the society to make those rules that determine who is and who is not going to be part of the body politic, which is what you're saying. I get it.
Speaker 3: It's a constitutional amendment.
Speaker 4: But the constitutional amendment itself has some very specific an exception in it. Yes, and what are those exceptions?
Speaker 1: I'm saying, No, you have to agree. If you're not, this is really quite radical.
Speaker 4: But the exception is what matters.
Speaker 1: But I want to know, what do you think is the rule outside of the exception? Right, it's the rule, and it's just an exception. Is a tiny part of the rule. The rule, I assume you agree, is if you were born on the territory of the United States, you don't fall into the exceptions of subject to the jurisdiction thereof, you are automatically a citizen, so it is birthplace without regard to the citizenship of your parents is the base.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the subject of the jurisdiction thereof is right, because.
Speaker 3: You're then we can explore what that means.
Speaker 1: But what is the basic rule that applies to most cases? See your theory consent means that actually, right, you could deny citizenship to anyone in the country.
Speaker 3: When they turn eighteen. No society a.
Speaker 6: Matter of justice, though a child who is born of citizens becomes a citizen matter of justice because justice it would be you're for the same reason as you're pointing to. Like, if we evaluated Steve when he turned eighteen, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and have a panel, probably might be a divide a panel, but surely.
Speaker 3: The majority would kick him ass. Kick his ass back to Sweden wherever his family is from. Yeah, I think that's where is your family from. I'm Steve, all right, Yeah, I again, we can all agree.
Speaker 4: I'll concede the point so that we can move on. But what what what actually is really important is the inclusion of subject to the jurisdiction. And I would like to bring up my favorite justice my least favorite. But Katenji, who you know, this week, really showed herself. You know that she was really pretty much idiotic all week long because Jasmine Crockett came out this morning or yesterday and praised her because of course she's a black woman and she's brilliant and everything she says is brilliant. And that's why everybody's making fun of her because they just because they can't stand a black woman to be brilliant.
Speaker 5: But here's a lot just I mean, what's the case earlier in the week that was eight to.
Speaker 3: One, where.
Speaker 4: About whether or not Colorado's law outlawed h.
Speaker 5: I don't care about the vision.
Speaker 2: What was interesting there is Justice Kagan and sodam or in a footnote attacker for being stupid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 5: That's the relevant thing to me is even the other liberals know she's a moron.
Speaker 4: Yeah babe. So yes, so that was earlier in the week, and the things she said are just their nonsense. But okay, yesterday, this is an I quote. When the question of subject to the jurisdiction, the deeper question is the subject to the jurisdiction means to whom do you owe allegiance and if you are even if you are born here, if you're the child of diplomats, if you're the child of an invading army. You know, those were the kinds of issues that they were worried about in the eighteen seventies. But she says, okay, so the question is allegiance subject to the jurisdiction means that you owe allegiance to the United States. That's the way the argument's going. This is her comment. I was thinking, I a US citizen and visiting Japan, and what it means is that if I steal someone's wallet in Japan, the Japanese authorities can arrest me and prosecute me. It's allegiance, meaning they can control you as a matter of law.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's not right. I'm not defending that.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Plus, if you were in Japan and you stole a wallet, you would have to commit Harry Kari right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. So, all right, on one last topic before we have to close the day out, Steve's going to take this over and he's going to give Phil a really not really a hard time about his pace.
Speaker 3: It's a great piece in the.
Speaker 4: Claremont Review Books called Ancient and Modern how Straussians interpret the Founding?
Speaker 2: Take it away, ste Well, we're a short of time to do a complete treatment, So simple question.
Speaker 5: I think it all turns on one.
Speaker 2: Uh, the way you phrase it is an Aristilian lock, or as I call it, lack of Stotle. So can you explain in just a few sentences or maybe a few more, what do you mean by what's the lack of Stotle?
Speaker 3: Proposition? Yeah? Well that no, not in a few sentences or even a few more.
Speaker 6: The essay came out in the double issue of the Claremont Review of Books, and it's actually about how Straussians and students of strauss have studied the Founding, including Harry Jaffas. So when the three of us had to study, opportunity to study from?
Speaker 3: And who? Who?
Speaker 6: John still doesn't understand despite all the never medial education that's been provided to him.
Speaker 3: That's because there's no essay t test on. Why would I study?
Speaker 5: No, Phil?
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, this is like the best four page treatment I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I mean, really, I do yeah, really, Oh I might read.
Speaker 1: Pages, but it's also got big pictures, so it's really two.
Speaker 3: Pages wait, wait, I know I read this.
Speaker 1: I already forgot about it.
Speaker 6: I was one of the last undergraduate students of Harry Jaffa. He read my undergraduate thesis. He had been forced to retire by then. So Harry Jaffa was a big influence on intellectual influence on my life. And I went back and I reread Crisis of the House Divided is the book that made him famous. I think it's a wonderful book on the Lincoln Douglas debates. And when I went back and reread this, this is when he was still alive, and there was a I think the fiftieth anniversary on the publication of Crisis, so we all met in Clairemont to talk about it with Jaffa himself. And I went back and read it, and I thought, Harry Jaffa is the founder of East Coast Strausians.
Speaker 5: Now that's a funny proposition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that jumped out of it.
Speaker 1: And what that means I would a listener know what East Coast versus?
Speaker 2: Oh, and by the way, is there a Midwestern school of Strausianism. I just bring it up to mess with John's head, because right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there is, I think, but East Coast so Jaffa, the.
Speaker 1: Way listeners in each of those schools is about two people. Because there's only about ten of them left, then they're shrinking rapidly.
Speaker 6: Jaffa in Crisis said about natural rights and about locks teaching on natural rights that natural rights effectively are hobbsy and means you can do anything you want right. This is the one thing John, you understands from the history of political thought. You can do anything you want if you have a right. And Jaffa's later position, so that's the East Coast Straussian that rights or natural rights is really just a way of saying self preservation, which means there's no morality that guides rights. To really make it very simple, Jaffa's later position was, so was no natural rights are we have natural rights because are part of the natural law. The natural law is the law of reason. And so your right to free speech, for example, is a right to say things that are reasonable that doesn't include libel. There are natural limits on natural rights. Natural rights are a moral concept in moral laws governed the proper exercise of natural rights. You could say, that's the later Jaffa. And to answer your question, Jaffas said, the invention of natural rights that are part of the natural law is the best way to have sound politics in the modern world after the advent of Christianity and the Protestant Reformation. That the idea Aristotle's idea of the just regime is that the polus exists to make men citizens, doers of noble deeds.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: But Christianity says, the highest ends or highest good of an individual is beyond is the next life, does not belong to this life. So christian Rianity pause, it's an authority and an end for human being that's beyond the political community. And and so how do we limit the political community to its proper ends in light of Christianity Aristotle, an Aristotilian approach to politics in Christianity becomes theocratic.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then you have the Protestant Reformation. And then if you're Catholic, you want to kill the Protestant king. If you're presidentt you want to kill the Catholic king. And it leads to terrible politics. How do we solve that?
Speaker 1: I want to kill both of them because I'm sitting on a guys, you all know, in a podcast with monarchists and worshippers of the English Throne.
Speaker 3: You have to put up this abuse.
Speaker 6: Okay, So how do we limit how do we make politics more rational? How do we establish the rule of law? And jaff has thought an Aristatilian approach to a sound political order, where you have the rule of law and the rule of laws for the common advantage or the common good that modern natural rights doctrine provides the framework that will work in the in the Christian world.
Speaker 1: I don't get we've we've talked about this in that time, because we're almost at the end of the hour. Is yeah, Jeff could say that, you guys could say that, how do you know your right correct? I mean, I could construct all kinds of interesting castles have fought about philosophy. But why is your count anymore correct than John Rawls's account or oh Marx's account?
Speaker 6: Well, I think I mean you, I mean so well, I don't know that proof is the right standard.
Speaker 3: What is right? But sounds good.
Speaker 1: It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling that we had West Coast inside now No.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: The fact that I mean, take simple things, the fact that start with the fact that people want to come live here. Why do they want to live here because they can find opportunities to work, they can raise their kids, and the religious tradition that is theirs.
Speaker 3: I think John Rawls said autonomy.
Speaker 6: But that Catholics and Catholics and Protestants and Jews have found a way to live together peacefully as fellow citizens. So these are criteria that even you, John could understand.
Speaker 8: Pieces so that would be his starting But it's not just you know, this is.
Speaker 3: Great wealth and national strength.
Speaker 2: John is just being mischievous because now that you have launched a torpedo at his essential Hobbsianism, he's throwing rolls back at us just to be annoying because we only have a couple of minutes left.
Speaker 3: Very clever, John, but you're not fooling anybody. It's Turtles all the way down.
Speaker 2: If you know the story Turtles.
Speaker 4: You can overstate the importance of the fact that the United States is the first regime ever in the history of the world that was able to solve that problem with theological political problem, the how do you have your laws? How do you get the authority of a lawmaker without a god that sanctions it? Because it never it had never been done.
Speaker 3: What about the British Empire?
Speaker 4: Have you heard of the Church of England. John, Seriously, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to have the laws of England really come from God. We're going to come from the common law. We're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Have you back for a sober discussion at length the theological political problem.
Speaker 1: Without John's volunteer there, I willingly see my place. I do want to have a great three hour podcast episode.
Speaker 4: I just want to say that that what what Phil just said about why people want to come here, I don't think that you can. It is possible. It is It is not possible to overstate the importance of that separation of politics from theology, or from theological rule or theocratic rule. I guess it is the better way to put it. Uh. It has provided for the most prosperity, the most freedom you do have. I think I won't even name the religion, but religions who come here, they don't come here to take advantage of our freedom of religion. They come here to try to destroy what is that amazing feat of in all of human history. One of the most amazing things ever done is that ability to have the freedom of religion and no theocratic rule.
Speaker 1: You're making my favorite arguments consequentialist arguments.
Speaker 3: These are all the results. You asked, how do you know all this?
Speaker 1: But how do you know Jeff's account of this is the true cause?
Speaker 4: Long story?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you do this. I just ask for a proof of evidence. What's so bad about that?
Speaker 4: Just the facts, man, Jeffa.
Speaker 1: It's just like in your dialogue a nineteen fifties TV show.
Speaker 4: It's just the facts, just pointed out. Jaffa himself spent many years trying to understand the whole issue completely, and he really, you know, Oh.
Speaker 3: He's lucky I wasn't in his class. He would have given up much earlier than he did.
Speaker 4: I doubt it. All right, enough of you guys, I'm going to read some Babylon bees.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got it.
Speaker 4: You can't say two just in compelling argument for birthright citizenship, Justice Jackson eats entire stick of glue.
Speaker 1: One more is coming around to me now.
Speaker 4: To Tingy, how can a law be unconstitutionally if I don't if I like it? And all right? One one more? Chicago bulls offer to reinstate Jade and Ivy if he will do some cocaine and beat a few women.
Speaker 5: Scamble. You don't know about John, what are your gaps?
Speaker 1: So always drink your whiskey, Neat, buy more books and Steve.
Speaker 2: Our new exit is listeners you have just wasted in. They're perfectly good hour listening to the three Whiskey Happy Hour sponsored by the Civitas Institute, produced by a ricochet dot com, not sponsored by McDonald's although it ought to be. And the bumper music is chosen by me with the chief purpose of annoying Lucretia. And so you be the judge of that, because I think I succeed almost everyone by everybody.
Speaker 7: I want a girl with the mind like a diamond.
Speaker 6: I want a girl who.
Speaker 7: Knows what's best. I wanna girl with shoes that cut and as that burn like cigarettes. I want a girl with the right all locations, who is fast and thorough and sharp, has attack. She's playing with her jewelry, she's putting up her hair, she's doing the facility and picking up blacket. I wanna girl with a short skirt and long jacket.
Speaker 6: Ricochet joined the conversation