Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, everybody, and welcome back to Reconnected. Another Thursday here for all of you, this time brand new first time guests that I'm very excited to be here one of the most compelling graphic designers for Blu ray covers of our time. Mister Sam's myth Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you. Thank you for having me Sam Smith, not the singer Sam Smith.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely different thing. It's good to skew. I'm so glad that you're here. Yeah, this is so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having me. Super fun Big Blue ray Collector as well to Cenophile the whole nine yards love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I excited to talk about all of this.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing obviously was Sam being first time here. All of the social links and all that stuff from the description. Website is there, the shop is there open that another tab save it for later. I think most of it is sold out at the moment, but I'm gonna be watching for Prince soon because I somehow don't have anything from you. But it is so much of an honor to have you here because there's so many things that you've designed over the years that are just some of the most memorable covers and I am so eager to get to know you.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks man. That's two kind.
Speaker 2: Also musician and done all kinds of stuff podcasting, It's incredible, So make sure you follow everywhere. We got somebody asking if you're on Letterbox, which yeah you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can just drop that in the chat too. I'm in the chat. So but yeah, Sam's myth pretty much everywhere, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, I do. I make some YouTube videos every now and then with like film stuff sometimes open blu rays and whatnot, or process post process videos on my work. So yeah, YouTube is a thing. Instagram definitely because visual media and lots of post ter images, momographic design stuff is there. And then yeah, Letterbox and yeah, so ins incredible.
Speaker 2: Uh you have been doing this for quite some time now. How how did you first get into art in general? Yeah?
Speaker 3: R one one three three, that's right. I drumed with pin folks.
Speaker 2: That is mind blowing. I adore bin folks.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, okay, cool cool? Yeah, So how did I get into Okay, so, obviously as a kid loved art ed Imberley drawing books. Ever heard of those?
Speaker 2: I believe?
Speaker 3: So okay, So they're like the step by step drawing books. That's what I think of as like first like drawing stuff, just loved cartooning, drawing, and then also making movies with my dad. So I had a very like artistic childhood with my dad. Like my dad's an artist, so he does all kinds of medium. But we would make movies and stuff. So I was doing like puppet movies, which of course I love stop mosh animation as a result, but like we would do home movie parrot like not parodies, but my own spins on certain things, like we had bear Man for Batman and La La Scissor Hands for Edward cinzarand so it was like I grew up and turned like ten ten years old in nineteen ninety one, like absolutely perfect time. Early nineties, you know, late eighties, early nineties movies just became the steps with movies as well, And so I would do my own posters, like even as a kid, I would I would draw the teenage the Deturials poster. I would do the Dick Tracy, try to draw the Dick Tracy logo and all that stuff, so that whole era like Tracy, Batman, Turtles, Tim Burton, like early nineties like T two, you know, like that that's my era and got me into movies. So I always loved movies, always did drawing and stuff like that. And then like you know, once we got to middle school and high school, I'm doing like posters for my school, posters for events and all that stuff. So I always loved posters, and it was like collecting them from the movie theater too, Like I would go up at the multiplex and ask for the posters because they always had tons. So I have like a good stash of like nineties movie posters in my flat file. They're pretty crumpled someone were crumpled up, but you know anyway, so I always loved them. And then yeah, like studied, did music in high school, drumming, just all sorts of the arts, you know. I was just like really brought up in the arts, so all kinds of things. But really, after college and touring for a bit, I had this kind of light bulb go off. It was when I call the Mondo silk screen screenprints were going around getting really big. Mondo is huge, and I was like, well, I want to be part of that, but I don't want to, like I can't compete with like the Tyler Stouts and the Ali Mosses, like I want to do my own thing, and how can I do that? Basically went to the Bellcourt, which is our local art house theater. We have a great nonprofit art house in the country, one of the best in the country, and I've known them there except in the regular and I get I kind of said to them, can I can I do? Try a couple of prints for screenings, and I kind of like wanted to create a portfolio of work that kind of pulled in all my influences basically like Cuban posters, Polish posters, check posters, all that stuff that I kind of was really into, like kind an academic level, and it was like the style was like, oh, I can do this. You know, I can't draw like Aaron Horky or someone like that, but I can do minim not minimalists, but more reduced it kind of things. And that's how I kind of started a portfolio, did some Bellcourt prints and that quickly led to the House thing, which wasn't far after that, where Bellcourt had House as a midnight movie. There you go, it's my claim to fame. I peaked like twenty years ago. What kind of say. I peaked early and yeah, the House poster. I did it as a midnight movie poster and Janis was not sure if they were going to show the whole thing or even do a Criterion. They were just they had this restoration and it went well. Next thing, you know, they want to use my poster for the nationwide re release of House and do it for the Blu Ray. And then I started working with Criterion and off to the races with key art, theatrical posters, Blu Rays and just movie art.
Speaker 2: That is a huge deal to get a title like House that you know, I think because it's so huge now, a lot of people don't realize before what year did House start with you? Like two thousand and seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven eight.
Speaker 2: So before then House wasn't really known. It had not had this revitalization in the US yet, like it was sometimes you don't like the Japanese society in New York. But that was like the max of its height of popularity and since then it's exploded. But to get your name associated with that as it's rising to popularity, that's got to be like the biggest strike of luck in that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was absolutely just like lightning striking at the right time. And even like designing that poster, it was done very quickly, like way more quickly than I've designed anything else because I just wanted to. But it was partly like strategic. You know, people ask me for advice and stuff. I always say, well, try to go after the clients you want, you know, try to create work that your clients are going to see. So okay, here Janis Films has this, and I can do a poster for Melcurt. They're letting me do it. I don't have to sign a license or anything, and they're going to see it. So there you go, Like, you know, I just I was like, I want to get this poster, like I want, I want to do the whole thing. And but we we even then we didn't know what the phenomenon the movie would because the min that movie sold out, then they did minnut movies everywhere else. So yeah, it was it was lightning striking at the right time, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean to get associated with Criterion and Janis at All is something that most people would strive for. Oh yeah, tons of tons of covers that you've done your current that go Yeah, one that is not heralded enough. I actually really liked the iconography of this one.
Speaker 3: Carlos, thank you. Yeah, that came from the poster because I did the theatrical poster for IFC Films and I have seen Criterion. They poured him in and something have changed the art little bit. There's actually a fun fact about that. In the poster he has a gun, and for some reason, Criterion wanted to remove the gun for the DVD for the Blue Ray, so I was like, I was kind of grudgingly agree. I mean, it's their call, but there is no gun in the Criterion version. Just a little trivia, but no. Yeah, Criterion is the dream job, man like for any designer. So you know, throughout college, I studied cinema studies at NYU at Tish, not filmmaking, just like cinema studies, which is basically English major type of thing. You're reading thought film, you're writing about film, you're watching tons of films. And yeah, every time I had extra money, I just go down to Kim's Video and buy criterions, you know, and stack them up. So that was that was my thing.
Speaker 2: Kim's Video mentioned everybody's gotta love that funny enough. In the chat Simmn or reading my mind, I was going to ask you did the pretty iconic world on a wire over there? And then Aero Video announced the title that had our very similar Can you speak on that at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just have to laugh about it. I mean it was there like a transitional time at Arrow because Fran was lead Frand who does Radiance. He was on his way out and I actually worked with Aero prior to that, and we had we had a couple of great projects together. Oh thank you. Yeah, so did Bound the Theater of Blood? And then uh yeah, I just saw that it went around on Twitter. People were tagging me like before I even know this, and I just like, I'm not going to be You don't even have to be a dick about it. You just have to email error and be like, hey, you stole the art And then they're like, oh, wow, we really did. Sorry, how can we you know that? That's all story is. I don't know the designer, I'm not, I don't They clearly ripped it off. But you know, it's interesting that a lot of times there's similarities and like echoes in graphic design, you know, something will look like something else whether it's intentional or not is always up for debate. It's usually not. But in that case, you kind of can't help but think they did that. It's like, why would you do that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So it was funny and they fran made good on it later by you know, hooking me up with some Radiance things. I just got my first Radiance copy, my first thing I did just steps up.
Speaker 2: I have not been able to get that one in yet, but I can't. It's one of my most anticipated from them. It looks great. The other one that's a big deal right now, of course, is getting in with Ocen. This was the one that Celeste Lecabre commented on my announcement post for Brimstone and Treacle, which is gorgeous, thank you. And then this just came in in the last day and a half. And then I've got the other Cinematograph on the way in my next shipment as well. How'd you get in with them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So basically Criterion, my Criterion era was like a while ago. I did several things with them, and then yeah, I've toured off and on, so it's like I've kind of come in and out of doing key art some years have been more busy than others, but just something about the last year or two year and a half of like what's gone on with physical media. Like I've always collected blue rays, but I was really like sleeping on it for all the last five or six years, like heart like getting criterions on flash sails, but other than that really not buying anything. And then all of a sudden, I just kind of like realized how much great stuff is out there. It was like and I was like, oh my god, Like it kind of all clicked at the same time, you know, just with with Radiance, I think Fran had reached out to me, and I was like, oh, wow, Radiance is really doing amazing stuff. And then Wow, I forgot how much great stuff is on Vineger, Syndrome and these other labels, and then finding YouTube channels and then finding you, and I'm like, now I'm just like obsessed with collecting blu rays.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: It's very bad, but I think it was just like I want to, you know, for anyone, like it's not the same as it was before COVID. You know, you as a designer, you just can't get the rates you used to get. There's a lot of stuff being done in house and whatnot. But I was like, I still want to be a part of what these different labels are doing, even if I just do a couple of things for a few of them, Like I just I want to be part of the library, you know, and kind of like get get in on what the cool stuff are doing. So so yeah, Justin, just Justin just said hey, you want to I emailed them. I was like, hey, let me know if I can do anything for you guys. I still didn't even understand like how Justin like he does.
Speaker 2: Every like does everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's like, hey, do this one for Cinematograph. So I just took it. Yeah, So I'm I'm not being shoosy. I'm just kind of like whatever anyone wants me to work on, give it a go, you know. And the cool thing about these boutiques and the budgets being lower is like they're like no notes, you know, just like do your thing. And that's that's ideal, because like, you know, I want to say, Okay, here's my work. I make great covers. I hope you think so, and so you know, let's we don't have to do like twenty versions of a cover, which is what you do when you work for a big studio or something like that.
Speaker 2: I've got probably five or six others with your art on the front, but one more that I wanted to shine a light on because nobody ever talks about the smaller companies like Cinema Guild, which you've done work for, or the first one that I got that I didn't know was you that did the art that made me appreciate it so much more, Grasshopper Films, Thank you.
Speaker 3: You love such.
Speaker 2: A beautiful piece of key art.
Speaker 3: Thank you. And well, it's just a I always just go back to the film. It's just I love Hama Gucci Man like that one in particular, just underappreciated just because you know, drive my Car with Sola claims. Yeah, and it's different kind of movie, but yeah, thank you. I'm proud of that one. And Grasshopper is always Ryan and what he's doing Ryan Creboschet uh with Grasshopper is awesome. I love doing anything he wants to do with me. So I've done a few there and those have been great.
Speaker 2: Tonight, after the announcements, we're gonna talk real deep about some more of your stuff. Do more of a like interview style segment. But before we get into all the physical media stuff, what do you what are you super into? What are some of your favorite labels? What kind of film do you like to watch?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a good question. I love all the labels. Yeah, it's interesting. Like Criterion was like is still and was like the canon if you will, of you know, a certain library of all time grades. And I always I've always like kind of gotten by that that book, and I love a lot of those tours that you see in Criterion. I particularly love what I and others have maybe called cinema of childhood, so particularly children, not just children's films, but films about childhood, and also not just fantasy films. But oftentimes there is some kind of magical realists, like your Spirit of the behive. Miyazaki is like my my my guy, so like my Neighbor Toidro is like one of my all time films. Those kinds of films. I really loved Louis mao. Uh. But favorite directors, I mean Kubrick, Kubrick, Miyazaki, Bresson, Tarkovski, Kirostami, those are like my that's my like Mount Rushmore kind of so I really love the really serious long art house stuff. But yeah, Donna's maybe made not as much into horror as most like collect you know, the collectors, they all love the horror. I'm not as much in the horror. If with horror, I really love something artsy. Yeah, the shining uh, next of kin House, footprints on Footprints on the Moon. These are my favorite kinds of genre films. I think there was kat Ellinger y so I she said something on some show and it all clay. She the term was the fantastique yep, and I was like, that's it. That's what I like because I don't like Gore, I don't like slash or anything like that. But anything that's the fantastic, so not necessarily fantasy but some kind of blend of the real world and something else, that's what I like. And shot well and great scores, you know, I love scores well.
Speaker 2: After Tarkowski gets mentioned, how how does it feel to have cover like Solarious associated with you?
Speaker 3: That was like, of probably all emails I've ever gotten, that was the most excited moment. I'll never forget where I was, you know, like I was like in a billiard's hall, so playing ping pong for some reason now that we just have a cool ping pong hall. But uh yeah, like that was an exciting email ticket for sure.
Speaker 2: I bet. Yeah. So let's get into some some recent pickups and watches. Then, what have you been getting? I got them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so I've been what do you want, watches.
Speaker 2: Pickups, whichever won you want to do first. I'll follow your lead.
Speaker 3: Let's go pickups.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 3: I have a little stack here because I have been, like I said, I've been picking stuff up you we all want and your show actually may or may not have encouraged me to pick up more.
Speaker 2: I apologize and you're welcome. Okay.
Speaker 3: So I have a little stack, and I'll try to go fast and I want to hear yours of course.
Speaker 2: I've got him ready, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Got this in the flash sale. This is I wish I had the Okay, it was my favorite movie of the year for most of last year. Ryuichi Saka moto Oi. I love like I said, I love scores, I love anything Japan.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He is incredible and the idea that he he created this piece of art to serve as his final work. Yeah, and it's just two hours of gorgeous solo piano in black and white cinematography. If you see this in the if you have to see this in the theater, it is a spiritual experience just to do that and you just walk out of the theater just like you just absolute meditation, you know.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: And those are nice because they're only fifteen in the Flatshaw the Jazz Contemporaries. Okay, this was a blind bine. I have not watched it yet. I bought this just for the trailer. It's a severin standard edition the Seventh Curse, which from the Paul Now I said, I don't love horror too much, but this is a double. The trailer shows both films, and I don't know which one it is, but one of them I know I'm going to love just because the way it looks into the middle, it's probably Seventh Caurse. Okay, so I'm excited to watch it. I bought it blind by.
Speaker 2: The movie is wild, okay, yeah, a trip. It's so many genres within one. It's you'll love it.
Speaker 3: I love that kind of stuff, like I do you love a couple comes to mind, like this film mystics in BALI do you know that? And Lady Terminator like that kind of a thing. The late great Jim Ridley, I just have to shout him out. He was the editor of the National scene of the Film Critic here and he passed away, and he's like everyone who's in part of the national film community just knows him as like the god of film writing and just the nicest guy. And he loved those kind of movies, and so he turned me on to some of those. And so even though I say I don't love horror, if it's something like this that's just really crazy and beautiful and psychedelic, I'm so into that. This was a blind buy as well from a sale. I just I look for the sales. You know, I know nothing about this.
Speaker 2: These fish I just loved.
Speaker 3: I love discovering more Japanese cinema. There's a lot left for me to find, so I'm curious to check it out. This one I bought for the cover design because it was made by h in my opinion, maybe the best one of the best in the game, Adam Mida graphic artists, and he did this one Neither the Sea nor Sand. Yeah, And also just reading about the film, I was like, Okay, this sounds up my alley just like dreamy, you know, kind of gothic, weird art house. That's what I love. And then the rest these are all just most of these are just like standard blu rays. I should qualify it by saying, hey, don't judge me. I promise I will not, and the chat don't judge me. I am like I'm choosing to do this. Ignorance is bliss thing when it comes to four K.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have not saved the money.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna try to commit to just never crossing over. I don't know, maybe not, maybe I will, maybe not. Anyway, I don't. I'm if there are better additions out there of some of these, that's fine, and there might be. These are just little things I've always meant to have and like fill out my collection that I love. Attack the Block, God, I.
Speaker 2: Love that movie so good, right, It's perfect.
Speaker 3: So fun and under sne yes DC desay's good luck with that. Yeah, I have a movie room with the projector. But I feel like, you know, as I get older, my vision's gonna get worse. Yep, so who cares if I can't see the FOURK.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be blurry anyways, ung Bach I've not seen this one. What, Yeah, I'm still behind on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I figure you've seen everything. But yeah, every now and then a great martial arts ballet type movie, I really love love them. This I got it is one of my wife's top three movies and it is a Christmas tradition. So I wanted to make sure that I had my wife's favorite Christmas movie on Blu Ray. And when she introduced me to it, absolutely fell in love with this film. Meet Me in Saint Louis classic, just so good. I'm not when it comes to old Hollywood musicals, It's not particularly my favorite, but the best ones I really love to appreciate, and see, this is just one I've always thought was underrated. The Limits of Control by Jarmish, really cool film. And then I think you were talking about Almodvar recently.
Speaker 2: I was, yeah, and so this.
Speaker 3: That reminded me, Oh, I need to make sure I have a couple of his that I don't have. So Pain and Glory is an excellent one. And then lastly, this one I had to dig around for for a while. It was rare out of print.
Speaker 2: Some site was it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Arrow said they had it in print.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: It was just in the store all of a sudden again like what, so I bought it. Of course, for months, I get notifications we cannot find your animals, like yeah, because you never had it in stock, you don't get my hopes stup like this. They finally refunded it and I found I went to eBay and just tracked it down finally. And this is a segue into watches because it's a check fairy tale film, which I told you I love child. I love fairy tale type things, anything folklore, and I love polish check anything from that era in the sixties and so forth. Beautying the Beast by Gras Girage hurts awesome. I love this type of thing.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent release too.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I love these second Runs. I've gotten a few others. I love how the spines look like the design system is. I just love it. So yeah, those are my pickups.
Speaker 2: Amazing Second Run for those that we don't talk about Second Run enough. They are out of the UK, but literally everything they've released has been region for and they've got a lot of titles that aren't available anywhere else. So if you want check them out during an arrow sale. The Arrow Store also carries their stuff and during a sale, they're like eight pounds looks so cheap, it's crazy once you get I think it's like, once you get four of them, the shipping becomes worth it. So just get through four or five and you can do it very, very cheaply. Yes, all right. My recent stuff got in the two New Deaf Crocodiles, the I Married a Strange person. This is the Bill Plimpton deluxe edition that they just put out. And then one that will and I have a visual essay on. This is Freckled Max and the Spooks. This is an incredible like reimagining of a mini series that they cook the episodes and made into a feature length film, and it's basically got all of the Universal monsters done in a silly way. Probably not fully for kids, but like for preteens at least. It's like a fun, relatable story. Another one that is a little older, but I had same as you. I had a tracked down a version to get this because it went out of print watershipped down for beautiful movie and I missed out on a limited edition. It's one of my favorites, so I had to get it. And then The last thing is a huge package that came in today, literally today from Severn. I got in my skin. This is a French extremity film I've not seen, so eager to see. This is their first side cut slipcasting. Yeah, and then it came with the House of Psychotic Women Volume two, So eager for this. This has Butterfly Kiss, Morgiano, the Savage Eye, and the Glass Ceiling.
Speaker 3: The same director as Beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. That was a perfect way to go on about that. The big thing that I had bought with that package that I was more excited for, is going to even be hard to show. This is Jesus the Skala Cinema book that is like twenty pounds and probably gonna be my favorite thing to go through over the next month or so. I'm not watching. Scholar Cinema was a theater over in the UK and it was basically the theater that a lot of the people that we look up to found out about like underground cult films of every single type, and they got around the British laws by you had to be a member of this theater to go see something, so you couldn't just get tickets you had to become a member first, and now they can show you anything because it's a club, and they they shared every type of film that you could think of, like Cafe Flesh is one of the big ones that they showed many many times over there. This book itself, it covers so much more of the history than the documentary did. But I will say the dock itself incredible. Everybody needs to go check it out. It is a beautiful, beautiful film has cut ins from a lot of people that you're recognize, famous directors from the last twenty years or so. It is a modern you know, for somebody that loves film. It is a modern masterpiece that everybody should see. Okay.
Speaker 3: And the name of the doc. The name of the doc.
Speaker 2: Scull It sc a l A. There's a subtitle that's like twenty of words long. But yes, all you need to know is skull It. Okay.
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 2: And then I released it over in the UK as.
Speaker 3: Well, gotcha, Yeah, I remember hearing about this.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, recent watches? Then what did you get for those? The Beast one of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, I rewatched it. I'd seen it before, you know, back when things weren't as accessible. You know, watching some kind of low quality version of it, which is which can be cool too, Like I really love watching like a bootleg of something and then years years later seeing it acid sintenda. That's always fun. But yeah, we watched that one. I checked off three huge ones huge. Okay, dude, I did my first Petushko film.
Speaker 2: Wow, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Speechless dude?
Speaker 2: Which I.
Speaker 3: Like to go chronologically now I know this this might be his first feature, like non animated feature.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: Anyways, but of the four The Deaf Crocodile released, this is the earliest. I love growing chronologically. I wanted to jump right into Ruslan Ladmilla, but I love going in order seeing how director evolves. YadA, YadA, YadA. But dude, I was blown away by this. I don't understand all of it historically yet. I'm still reading through some supplements and like, I want to learn more. I'm really done with history. Yeah, but like it's fascinating from a historical perspective. But yeah, just god, the use of miniatures and the effects. I love anything like that. I love mythology, the fantasy, Like just this is what turned me on to Deaf Crocodile. So That's how I found out about them, because that it looked cool. I just saw the Tony Stella cover for Rouslan in the midst.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Tony. Of course he's like the most insane artist of our time for for for a movie movie art. But yeah, that's how I discovered it, and it was amazing. Secondly, finally watched this one that I picked up a few months ago. No, I did not the limited edition. If anyone's got an extra one wants to hook me up, I'll send them like a house print or something. But The Keep, now this is interesting because I love I love scores, and I love you know, electronic music. Tangerine Dream Uh this this the tandering Dream Keep album. Do you know how complex all this is? Oh? Yeah, okay, yeah, okay. So someone gave my friend, Jason Shawan, who's another great film critic, gave me a burn CD of The Keep, like twenty years ago or something, and it's it's become like my favorite electronic score ever. Like that album is flawless. Everything they that trio did at that time. Also Edgar Frose's score for Kamakze eighty nine. If anyone likes this kind of stuff, make sure you hear that one too, because it's very similar. But as it turns out, a lot of the music's not in the movie, right, So I got I was like, oh, I can't wait to finally watch the keep this masterpiece. I'm going to know every every film, every music cue. And I was like, oh, yeah, I forgot, like hardly in it. But I mean then you have all the pieces they did make for this that have not been released properly, and so it was fascinating. But I did love the film, and I have to say, like, I thought it was great. Loved the setting, the effects, the maybe I guess some of it's a little unfinished from what I understand, I don't know again, read the settlements, learn how you know. The history of the production I know is very fraught and everything. But loved it. And then lastly, I'm going back to Deaf Crocodile to check off a major thing and I'm I don't know what to say except this is the best thing I've seen in a very very long time. Wow, very long time.
Speaker 2: This is such an underrated film, dude.
Speaker 3: The fact that on letterbox I'm gonna look again, there are like the amount, the low amount of reviews. Yeah, just how many people have logged it it. That just speaks to how many how much discovery there is here for people. Yeah again check fairy Tale. The cinematography Marquantel Laza Rova was a little tough for me to get through. As much as I loved the cinematography, I appreciate it, but it wasn't fully like hitting me in the solar plex And this just hit like everything about it as like fairy tale cinema. This is probably the best fairy tale film I've ever seen, Like it is such an underse I appreciate an undiscovered as of yet Jim, and that now people can watch so obsessed with this release. So everything you know, Death Crocodile specifically leaning into this like folklore thing and all the check films. I'm loving all that, but this was fantastic. Everyone listening definitely watch it.
Speaker 2: Great, great release. There's there's so many of theirs, especially in the last year, that have been released that I just I don't hear people talking about, like Adella has not had supper yet. Is such an underseen just silly film from them? Okay, yes, people need to go check it out. It is amazing. The the The Savage Hunts of King Stack that they did, the first one that they did away from Oceana Vineigar Syndrome. Amazing, amazing movie, and pretty much hardly anybody has seen it, so yes, please go check some of those undersecene titles out. I had a weird week of watches. I'm still trying to catch up on some things with my wife that she has never seen. And I love that you mentioned the sequel earlier. But I showed her for the first time The Terminator. She had never seen it, and we got done and she laughed and went, I know, we're like seven references they're from now. Yeah, totally, And then we started the sequel. We've not gotten a chance to finish it because I had watched two others for work that I'm talking about in a second. But she she's loving them and it's so great to see him with somebody who has literally never seen it and know what to expect. The twist of Arnie not being the bad guy in the second movie was huge for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, do you like, do you have enoughanity for one or the other or just both equally great in different ways?
Speaker 2: There, I mean, they're equally great. Different ways because it's kind of a tonal thing. The first one is essentially a slasher film, and then the second one one might be the greatest action movie of all time. So you kind of just got to go with what am I feeling today? If I want to do something that feels a little more Friday the thirteenth in a way, let's watch The Terminator if not Judgment T two.
Speaker 3: Like when I was maybe we're around the same age, all though you're probably younger than me, but just being like eleven twelve years old when T two came out here seeing that teaser trailer in the theaters, Yeah, where the guy's been being forged and everything, like.
Speaker 2: I just missed it. I think I'm like three or four years younger than you. I do too. It would have been the perfect time. It is one of those things that there's so much that I missed back then. But the other thing you brought up Misstic Simbali and Lady Terminator and funny enough to let everybody know that next Monto Micabro podcast episode that's coming out, we're talking about two of their recent films, one being Cafe Flesh they say, the second say audience film that they've done the last couple of years. They all so did Doctor Caligari. But this movie wild. I don't think i'd ever seen it before. Cafe Flesh is this weird underground sex film that is not erotic pretty much in any single form, but man, do they have a lot of it on camera. It's a really interesting slice of that life back then. It kind of just captures a piece of society that was really under talked about and an undervalued at the time. And now so many of us gravitate to the cults in the underground and the cast aside that films like this are just, I don't know, like a weird, warm blanket of It's odd, but somehow I feel at home while watching it. And then the other one. I loved this movie. They also just put out Bohachi Bushido. This is a samurai film in a way, done by Taruo Ishie, and this is about a gentleman that in the first thirty seconds of the film he surrounded and he jumps off of a bridge and tries to kill himself essentially, and they don't let it happen, and he gets rescued and goes to what is basically a brothel and I didn't know this was going to turn into basically a sex film too. But there's a lot of nudity in this movie and a lot of violence, and it's that same like Lady Snowblood type of over the top violence, which is great. The story itself is very fun. It's a beautiful four K disc from Anto micabre Highly recommend people check them out. There will be standards on both of those. I think both of the limiteds have sold out, but four K discs, you'll be able to get them pretty much anywhere. Cool, great great stuff. Mono Micabro, Do you have anything from them? It sounds like you like some.
Speaker 3: Mom man again, like I'm not. I'm not as I don't watch at the rate probably like you or your viewers too, Like there's I have so much sel to catch up, you know, and I know everyone feels that way, but I don't know. I just kind of like take my time with like catching getting to things and like like the Keep, I should have seen that a long time ago, but I was like, I'm on the way, and then it kind of pays off because then you get a great release of something. So the time comes and movies find you when they find you. So I'm excited to see more of that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's gonna be a stellar year. I mean some of the titles that'rering to talk about tonight.
Speaker 3: First of all, Oh, my god, Stains I have to like when I heard that fabulous Stains news. That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Man, it's a beautiful movie. Beautify.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, go on.
Speaker 2: I expected it to be a light week and we'd have a bunch of time to talk about art and stuff, and the announcements just kept pouring in this week. It has been crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I'm behind them. I'm excited to see what you've got. Let's start bosting through them.
Speaker 2: Let's do it then. First up, just this little indie film called Raging Bull. Imprint is putting all of these out. These are all coming out on June twenty fifth, and these are in Australia. This first one, this is Raging Bull. Like I said, the big thing is that this has HDR the Criterion release or this one has Dolby Vision. I don't think the Criterion one did not sure if the Criterion had HDR ten. But yeah, this has an upgrade in the Dolby Vision Camp, lots of extras here. We've got a two disc set, there's gonna be a Blu ray disc and a four K disc sorry, three disc set, two disc with just the films, and then the third disc with tons of extras. There's so much on here literally would not even fit on the listing. But Scorsese, I'm sure you got something to say about scortses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, maybe not as much of a Scorsese fanboy as like a lot of the guys are, but Raging Bull is probably I think it's his best film.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know that's not maybe the most popular opinion, but they're definitely people who would back me on that. Like, it's definitely up there for a lot of people. Yeah, that one. Like King of Comedy, After Hours, those are the ones that really I'm so done with, Like the Leo Leo Scorsese crime movies. I can't do anymore. Man, Like the fact that his next seven projects are all with Leo, and it's like, dude, don't you want to work with anyone else? You don't have that much time left, like change any I can't go on about.
Speaker 2: That, but well we can talk about another scor because he's also getting New York, New York. I haven't seen this one yet, Frands, this is one that has needed a decent release for a while. A lot of people call this Scorsese's worst film, primarily because De Niro and Eliza aren't known for having the greatest of chemistries. But I don't know. I've not seen this one. This is like one of the handful that I need to get to. New commentary by Daniel Kramer, friend of the Channel, some new interviews on this. New visual essays, this looks like a really solid release. It's got the director's cut and the europe And cut, so kind of seems like this has pretty much everything you could want.
Speaker 3: That's cool. Yeah, I haven't seen it either, so you need to check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one, especially the art on this looks pretty great. I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like early work too. I like early work by filmmakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm way more.
Speaker 3: For example, I'm way more seeing this than his next film.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: It's I just I don't know. There's something about when you don't have as much to work with. There is just such a creative era, and I think even as time goes on, people's worst film, you end up appreciating it in a different way.
Speaker 2: So I would agree, completely agree. I mean, look what we just said about the keep that's often called is his worst film. Yeah. June twenty fifth, we're also getting a Blu ray of the Man Who Would Be King. This is a film that has gotten a released from Keno here in the States prior, but this is going to be coming out from Imprint. You've got a making of it'll be on this and then they are announcing more special features, so this should have more than what the Keno does. But this is a Sean Connery and Michael Keane and Chris Plumber film from seventy five. I've never seen this.
Speaker 3: One no either, not maybe my type of thing unless someone really forced me to watch it. But what a what a trio of actors.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. Then we got The Wind in the Line, another Connery film coming on Blu ray. This is from nineteen seventy five. This has Candice Bergen in it as well. This one is going to be getting some new special features as well. There's an audio commentary with the director on here that was archival, but should be getting some new stuff.
Speaker 3: That poster is incredible. The original poster ar for that.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. It really is this next one. I am so excited about this title. Leadbelly from nineteen seventy six is coming out. This is the first time on physical media ever in the world for this film. This has Roger E. Moseley who was in Magnum PI, and then this was directed by Gordon Parks, who is pretty astounding. This was never on disc anywhere. This is going to be limited to fifteen hundred copies. They're doing a bunch of new special features for this, but no news on the specific extras yet. This will come out later.
Speaker 3: Cool. That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this looks amazing. I'm always excited about Imprint because at least one of the titles is like, you've never seen this in HD before? And who else is doing that every single month? That's impressive. Cool, And then I think this is the last one from them. J W Coop from nineteen seventy one is rounding out their slate. This one is not gonna get any extras, and it's got Cliff Robertson. That's probably the biggest thing about it. I've never even heard of this one.
Speaker 3: No, I got nothing. I'm not gonna drag. I'm not gonna bog you down. If I don't got much to say. No, you keep moving, I'll jump in when I got something good.
Speaker 2: You got it? I forgot about this one. The Onion Field from nineteen seventy nine is one of the next ones, and this is probably the second one. I'm looking forward to a whole lot casting. This looks great. This one has an audio commentary from Harold Becker, that director making of But You Got Ted Dance, and Christopher Lloyd, John Savage, James Woods. This is just like Peak right at my Alley nineteen seventy nine. This should be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what give me like? Since I'm still catching up on your show? Like who are your top? Who's your mount Rushmore? Just so I can get your or does Roland films three of them or something? Or four favorites? Letter boxes give me anything? Uh?
Speaker 2: Letterbox four favorites is an interesting one because it is not one that I've changed in a long time. My current top four on letterbox is a green Room from a handful of years ago. Love that movie Jurassic Park is probably what made me love films when I was a kid. Nice the Muppets Christmas Carol, which yes, it is my Christmas movie, and I've got a animal tattooed on my arm.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's amazing. Like I know, I said, my wife with me, me and Saint Louis. But we kick off Chris Christmas every Thanksgiving weekend with Mupper Christmas Girl nice.
Speaker 2: And then my fourth one is a lot of people don't even call it a film, but bo Burnham's Inside from a couple of years ago, I think is one of the most important pieces of art come out in the last five years.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic.
Speaker 2: I could go on and on as far as labels.
Speaker 3: A director, you're this year like other directors.
Speaker 2: You love who directors? I am gosh current directors at least loving Ari Astor stuff bringing the artistic side to some darkness. Love Robert Eggers, like a lot of people grew up on Steven Spielberg stuff. So a lot of that is still just nice toasty like comfort food watching. But just like you, I'm still learning. You say, it feels like I've seen everything. I've seen most nothing. I'm doing what i can to catch up. I'm very behind. Like we were talking about before we went live, I grew up in a super small town in the desert in California. We only had access to like mainstream stuff. So the the you know, scratch the surface. What's just under is the stuff that I'm trying to get to right now. Everything that wasn't on a blockbuster shelf with eighty four copies waiting to beet brended out. Yeah, I've seen those. I need to get to the other stuff.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you're doing pretty good so far, Christine. Every obscure film I've mentioned, so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm trying a lot of those are semi big names for physical media nerds. That's true. That's true. Cool all right, Moving right along. Less of my thing. Terrifier three from last year is getting a four K steel book over in the UK from Signature Entertainment. Should be nothing new here. This has been released on four K already, but the art is an interesting addition to this one because they really leaned in heavily to the Christmas aesthetic. Are you Are you a sucker for like steel book packaging or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I own it, zero steel books. I could not care less about them. That's just I'm in that cam. I don't know why I do have one steel book. Actually it's the Daft Punk Electroma. Oh nice I'm talking about Yeah, I think it's a DVD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was. It's a little bit taller than a Blu ray one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like an old It's not even a typical steal book, but it is a steel case.
Speaker 2: I've got. I've got a couple of random things that are technically steel books. I think they're done by the Steel Book Company. I've got the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack. They made a CD steel book. And then I grew up in southern California, so I was raised on the Lakers, and uh after, after Kobe died, they did like a memorial NBA two k something steel book, and I had to have it. And it's right there on the shelf for all time.
Speaker 3: While you go to the next one I'm gonna get. I'm gonna show you my CD steel thing I have.
Speaker 2: Sweet all right, next title after Terrifier three, Oh man, this is a big one. So I'm gonna ask what he thinks of this. But June ninth, Kurzone over in the UK is doing some larsvon Trier stuff. We're gonna talk about one now in a couple in just a minute. But this one Dancer in the Dark from two thousand. Have you watched any Lars won Trier titles.
Speaker 3: I gotta say I love him, favorite Lars.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: My mind goes right to the Five Obstructions, which is a quasi. It is a documentary that he made. Have you seen it? Do you know about it?
Speaker 2: I have not. I'm still diving into some of those older ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I love his early so, like I said, early work is great. I thought Antichrist was kind of a masterpiece. But Five Obstructions is him and this other filmmaker friend, and the whole idea is he comes up with these five rules, kind of like Dogma ninety five had these rules, and you have to make the same film short film five times using these five obstructions. And they both do it, and so it's a conversation between them about filmmaking. It's great. Definitely put the Five Obstructions on your watch list, anybody who's interested in that.
Speaker 2: I got a lucky enough I can't reach it.
Speaker 3: But it's not a typical of Ventreer, you know.
Speaker 2: It is that Curzona whole box that they did. It was only missing the title that's on the screen now. So now when I get this, it'll basically be a complete set. But everything that I've seen from him is at the very least supremely interesting, and you can't really say that for any directors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's got he has some you know, he's made some questionable statements, and he's a provocateur and all that, and you know, with any kind of provocateur you kind of have to take some of that with a grant of salt. But when it comes to the arts, like I think that what he did with Melancholia, like I said, Dance from the Dark, breaking the Waves, all they're just they're just very powerful works of film.
Speaker 2: So Dance from the Dark a little bit of a reminder for everybody that has not either paid a ten, don't understand or don't know the history. This isn't even true. HD. This is gonna come at I think it's four eighty ep It is going to be the max that this is gonna be able to hit. You got a bunch of extras on here, but essentially you're gonna buy this for the quality of the disc to be able to last a long time. It'll be better than the DVD was. This has behind the scenes doc von Treer's hundred eyes on this. I cannot wait to have this release in hand. And for those that have seen it, you'll you'll understand the braille that's on the cover of this is probably nice touch.
Speaker 3: They love the yorc so yeah, you know, those are really exciting to see when it came out. The York is in this film.
Speaker 2: Looks like a gorgeous release. I'm excited to get.
Speaker 3: The devastating movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. And like I said, we're gonna talk about a couple more Von Trier just a minute that Corazona is doing on the same day, so be prepared for that. We mentioned the Shining earlier is getting yet another four K release. This is the exact same disc that has always been coming out. This is a four K steal, but coming from the Film Vault. Should be coming here in the next couple months. It's the Film Vault essentially is just a let's put all kinds of crazy packaging on the same studio disc that you've been getting for the last three years. Gotch and that's it. So they'll happily charge you sixty dollars for a whole bunch of plastic and if you already have the Shining, you probably don't need this. But if this is your first release and you love the movie, this is a great release. I won't shoot on it for that, but one that a lot of people don't have the four K four because it was kind of difficult to get at first. Poltergeist also getting that exact same style of release from the film Vault. I believe both of those will be releasing on the same day. It is a steel book in this weird pet plastic case, a bunch of art cards, some full up poster stuff like that.
Speaker 3: It's for like the super super super fans of these films.
Speaker 2: That and somebody that thinks my shelves are not full enough. Yeah. Next up a beautiful movie from last year, Flow that I wish I liked more. This is coming on four K over in the UK from Curzone again. This will be coming on June thirtieth. I loved this movie. The art style wasn't for me, and I don't know if that's just me being picky, but it felt like a video game a lot of the time.
Speaker 3: I will say yeah, I mean it kind of has to be said because like it is. I mean, it's a low budget film, like I thought, the environments looked great. I agree, the close ups of the animals it did feel like, oh man, this is so close to being to working like stylistically and all jelling. Yeah, but it's such a beautiful film overall. The feeling of it that had no dialogue. I mean, what a great idea for a film that I kind of just I give it a pass. I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: I agree, And one of the biggest things. I've got two kids both have autism, one of them also has ADHD. All three of us sat silently and watched this entire film and that blew me away. For a movie with no dialogue, that is incredible.
Speaker 3: That so yeah, absolutely we need more of it.
Speaker 2: Something we might not need more of. Rad has gotten multiple releases, recently getting a collector's edition release from mill Creek again on June seventeenth, coming on Blu Ray. But the big thing they added the brand new documentary called a RAD Documentary. Reminder for anybody that might be pre ordering this. This is also getting a four K release out of Australia from Umbrella over the next year, and I don't know for sure, but my hunch is it's Umbrella. They're probably going to release the documentary with that one, too, so my suggestion would be to not get.
Speaker 3: This gotcha Still, how spot up with this one? I have a friend from college. This is one of their favorite movies of all time, so I will be forced to watch at some point, so I mean talk about missing. I'm a little too old for this. Sorry too young for this one.
Speaker 2: I didn't catch this one when I was a kid, so it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor. I could see why it would have been great if I saw it when I was nine. Did not love it as an adult? Yeah, this one, however, I did love and I think this is a hilarious idea for a steel book. June ninth, Entertainment and Video Over in the UK is giving us a four K steel book of Baby Girl. This is Nicole kidman standing in a corner on the cover, and then the inside, of course, has a picture of the dog and a glass of milk. You can pre order this now. If you're in the US and you really want this steel book, you can get it from Brother Belyle. Pre Orders for that are available should be pretty much everywhere out of the UK.
Speaker 3: You mean there's no plastic slipcase that has liquid milk in it that you can come.
Speaker 2: On, we'll be hitting that innovation in probably two or three years. Yeah, we'll have the video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can actually drink milk out of it.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll re release what was that movie from about a year and a half ago. It's the Bathwater Oh god, Yeah, Selt burn.
Speaker 3: Like all the records, the vinyl records. They're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Friday the thirteenth with the blood in it. Yeah. Next. I think this is a really sad idea of a steel book. But man, I actually really liked this movie.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. I don't know, man, I just I've been burned too many times.
Speaker 2: I get it, I get it. I disagree, but I get it. Maynight.
Speaker 3: But this is the most tempt that I've been to read it to come back in.
Speaker 2: It's It feels like a classic for the first half. But if you felt burned over the last ten years, you're probably gonna feel burned by the second half.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's figure. That's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: This is Warner Brothers over in the UK putting out Trap from last year in a four K Steel Book. It's got all the same extras that have been on the other releases that have been coming out, and I really wish they had done something different with the steel book. I do like when we get original poster art, but for a steel book, the art should be a little special and this it just is not quite enough to make me feel like I need to buy a premium package for it. Okay, going to the next one speaking a second run, which we don't get to a lot. So I'm glad you brought him up. May twenty six, there's a blu ray coming of Ishanu. This is from nineteen ninety. I probably said that terribly. I am not known for being a linguist. This is a film that juxtaposes the spiritual world of the my byss with the rhythm with the rhythm of ordinary life. This is going to have a new four K restoration by the Film Heritage Foundation, a newly filmed interview with the director of this piece of Indian cinema, Film Heritage Founder Shavendra Singh Dungepur and the actor that they were interviewed by the writer. All happened in twenty twenty three, so they got some new stuff there's a book that with new essays, lots of stuff coming in. I'm glad that they're putting out an Indian film. This is pretty exciting. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: I mean the their curation is great, so I'm this is going to be on my radar.
Speaker 2: I no, yeah, they do some films again that like nobody else would ever put out.
Speaker 3: Another thing to mention to the listener is like another region I no pun intended have not entered is region free. So I mean, I'm sure I can buy a region free player any day, and I will, but so. But the nice thing about second runds is most of them are region free, not all of them, but you need to check each one. If you don't have region free, I guess most of your listeners probably do, but just check that before. But most of them are good.
Speaker 2: Every time we bring this up, we have a couple that in the chat will say I'm never going region free region a forever. There you go. So for those people, let's see what is next next up again Lars von Treer from crazone. This is also coming on June ninth. We're getting a standalone edition of The Idiots. This is from nineteen ninety eight. This is looked at as his masterpiece by a lot of people. This is a beautiful movie. It's got a making of on here, It's got behind the scenes doc all kinds of stuff that has been on, you know, associated with this film for years. How do you feel about the idiots, sir?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it yet, some of his early work I need to see. Still so excited, you know, just kind of saving it and maybe this will be the time to go.
Speaker 2: Well, this one will be locked Region B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well to Gossover.
Speaker 2: They're also doing Dogville on that same day. This as again all the same extras that were in the box set. And this is another one that it seems like all the von Treer titles get sort of equally sliced for a lot of people that think that it's their favorite one. But the big thing with this one, other than Nymphomaniac, this is probably his most mainstream cast. You know. We've got Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, John Hurt stealing scars, guard Philip Baker Halls in this, James Kahn, Udo Kure not in it for a long time, but the cast in this astounding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is a hardcore one, like it's if you can get through this one, you can in a way get through any of it. It's not that it's graphic. In fact, it's not. It's all on a stage. It's got this Brechtian thing that's the whole. Like the cover is showing the plot of the house, and it's all just an imaginary house. It's like a play, so you're imagining everything. It's just a acting film. And he gets the performances he gets, especially after out of actresses, I mean Kidman, just like this was in the when she really started going on a tear. Yeah, it was some of these incredible performance.
Speaker 2: Since we've had two Kidman's in the last five minutes. One thing I want to shout out back in I think it was twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen, she made this big public pledge that every time that she works with the director she would alternate at least and do I think the promise was do at least one film with the female director every year. Yeah, And since she made that promise, she's done like seventeen films with female directors. Yea, and not any other actor is doing something like that. I am insanely impressed. With that.
Speaker 3: Particularly love her because eyeswid Shut is in my top five of all time, and she's also in Nashvillian, where I live. She has come to the Bellcourt often. The Bellcourt did a series that Nicole Kidman hand picked of her career last year. It was one of the highlights of the movie going year. Here this is why the bell Court is great. See the Kidman series picked by her.
Speaker 2: What did she pick? Do you remember?
Speaker 3: I mean picked kind of what you'd expect, you know, kind of just these really interesting Dogville you know, Eyes Wide Shut, a film I'm going to mention later in my top five. Yeah, just you know, she's just worked with so many great people.
Speaker 2: She's incredible. Yeah, all right, And of course I clicked the wrong thing. Oh, let's talk about a brand new movie. Borderline from this year is coming on Blu Ray in the US from Magnolia on June tenth. This is with Samorrow Weaving and the other one is Ray Nicholson. This is John. This is Nicholson's son, Jack nicholson son, who is excluding right now. He had a small part in Smile Too, and they used him as the poster and now he is one of the two main actors in this one, and I've loved Tomorrow Weaving in most of what she's done, so I'm curious to see this one, but not heard amazing things.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know. This is a first I've ever heard of this or this or his Jack Wills and something I did not know why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got He's got the same like a nineteen seventy eight Jack style smile. Yeah you seum? Okay. Next, Keino is putting out King and Country here soon on Blu Ray. This is from nineteen sixty six with a hell of a evocative poster that they're using.
Speaker 3: Here is that the cover because that's just a poster full full on.
Speaker 2: That when they when they don't have a release date, they do not share the cover.
Speaker 3: Oh oh gosha.
Speaker 2: This might be the reverse of the cover when they put it out, but this is just the original theatrical post got it. So yeah, we don't know when this is coming out, but it'll be a four K restoration that Studio Canal did recently got at that point they might update it to UHG but probably not. Then the next one, this one will be a UHD uncommon valor from nineteen eighty three, will be a four K release from Keno here soon it will be a brand new HDR and Dolby Vision Master again huge cast. This is one that you know when Gene Hackman just recently passed, got brought up quite a bit. Gene is the main lead in this. We got Robert Stack, fred Ward, Patrick Swayze. This is quite a big one and directed by somebody who just passed like a week and a half ago, Ted Katcheff. So this is this is a very timely release from them. Okay, I've never seen this one, but I'm certainly eager to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, I got some Hackmans to catch up with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. He's done some great stuff. Next, I wanted to shortly mention this one my magazine that I put out, the Physical Media Advocate, handful of things. I wanted to remind everybody. If you're a writer, if you're an artist, if you review films or physical media, and you wanted somewhere to put out your work, I would love to share that with the world. Reach out to me. Send me an email at disc Connected Media at gmail dot com. The other thing is we do letters theaters. If you've ever had like a question about a film, itself for about physical media. If you want to. If you're too embarrassed to ask a label, I'll go ask for you. Send me an email. We'll we'll print your question and we'll try to answer it as well. And then the other thing. If you run a boutique label, or you run a theater or anything like that, we are happy to advertise events for you or any sport of releases that you got coming up. Just again, send me another email. But yeah, we got a brand new issue coming out on May first, and super excited for what it is turning out to be because it's going to be an astonishing one. How do you do it all? Man?
Speaker 3: That's so cool. I didn't even know about this yet. And it's just you got a lot of a lot of iron you're cooking that you're.
Speaker 2: Cooking at We'll talk afterwards. Give me an address, I'll send you a copy. I didn't even know this was a thing. On June twenty fourth, End Circle, who is like a subsidiary of Mill Creek, they're putting out a blu ray steel book of Sonic Prime the Complete series. I guess this was a Netflix show. Had no idea about this, but yeah, this whole thing is coming out here soon, coming out in June. The biggest thing here. I'm always excited to see stuff that was locked on streaming get physical releases. I hope you get more and more of those. Man, we got an interesting thing. We're gonna be talking about two disc replacements coming up for Warner Archive tonight. This is the first one, and it's for Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. This is a series that they just did, an animated series from I think it was the seventies, and what happened is they accidentally did not author the bonus features on there, so they want to send you the disc that has them if you were able to get this in so make sure you are putting in for the replacement if you got this, because you deserve to have those bonus features. We'll talk about one more near the end of the show. Okay, oh man, this is one of my favorites. July eighth, we are getting a four K steel book and a standard release of Clueless from nineteen ninety five. This is the thirtieth anniversary of Clueless. Holy God, yep, I'm so. I'm in the nineties tribute band. We've been doing it for about fifteen years.
Speaker 3: We play all the music of the nineties and so yeah, nineties pop culture is like one of my like expertise is you know, And yeah, we have a lot of thirtieth anniversaries we're dealing with, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of thirtieth anniversaries that that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm all over this as well.
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorites easily. I think one of the best comedies from the nineties. I don't know about the Steel Book. The steel book that they're doing for this is the exact same steel book they did oh like two years ago for the Blu ray. They just put it in a slipcover and put all this fancy stuff with it. I don't need all that. If I can get the standard four K for like fifteen twenty bucks, I'll jump all over bit this one. I have heard great things about this.
Speaker 3: One, Okay, yeah, have you.
Speaker 2: June seventeenth, Magnolia is releasing a Blu ray of The Assessment from last year. This is a film with the Alicia of a Candor and Elizabeth Olsen and JAMESH. Patel. I've heard this is a very trippy film, and the people that have said that to me seem to have a lot of the same taste when they talk about that sort of thing. So I'm curious anybody in the chat seen this one yet.
Speaker 3: I've not seen it yet. I love the candor. Yea. There's this film called The Light Between Oceans and it's actually where she and Michael Fassbender worked together for the first time and then fell in love and got married. And if you've if you've seen a movie where two actors are literally falling in love on screen, the performances are so real, like it is. I saw that and I was like, she's my favorite actress of her generation, just like wow. So that it's just a period romantic drama. It's there's nothing genre about it. But if you just want to see great performances of Alicia vikandor.
Speaker 2: So, hell yeah, that sounds great. Yeah, all right. We've been talking about this for the last month and a half because of the multiple updates from this and it's selling out and people going crazy. And if you remember, I told you every single time there will be a standard release of The Beyond and four K, you don't need to worry about it. And just like I said July twenty ninth, you're getting a standard release of The Beyond. This will be available everywhere. The crazy thing is, every time I've been talking about it, I said they may drop a disc or two because this is a sixth disc release. They're not dropping anything. This is going to be a full six disc release. This is a great film, I love it, but to have a standard edition for this that is still six discs. Essentially, this is probably going to be sixty dollars to say sixty five dollars always, and then like once a year, probably around Black Friday, they'll have a sale on their site and it'll probably go down to about forty. But you're probably never gonna get it under that. You're not going to get something with only like three discs. The standard is the Deluxe. It's everything that came in the original release except for the plastic eyeball. Everything else is the same. That's wild, And don't what's the best way to say this, don't fall for the grindhouse releasing marketing every time, because yeah, literally everything will be identical. I've been saying this every single time they release something for years. Unless they come out and say, like there is an exclusive slip cover, everything else will be the same, and this standard release is the exact same as the deluxe release, and the deluxe release is the exact same as what they originally put out as the limited release, except it doesn't have a plastic eyeball. Nice.
Speaker 3: You know your stuff? This is good? Could inseel I try?
Speaker 2: May twenty seventh, Universal and Blumhouse putting out The Woman in the Yard from late last year. I never even saw that this got released. I thought he supposed to come out early this year, but I guess it came out earlier. This actually has some extras on here, a couple of featurettes. Nothing crazy. Again, anybody's seen this one? I've heard literally nothing about this one. No, yeah, I imagine that you had not.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah, I mean again, it's not totally my genre, but so, I mean, I keep up with everything that's coming out, and I'm pretty aware. But yeah, I hadn't heard this. I saw the announcement and jamming art and triggering key art for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's something that I'll make you pick it up off the shelf at least. Yeah, this one. June twenty fifth, Germany and Kpelite Pictures putting out a four K steal book of Maxine now this is one. A lot of people in the US have been speculating that A twenty four should release a four K set of X Pearl, which I'm wearing my Pearl shirt tonight and Maxine in like a three pack. We have we have no information on that. Do I think they will? I mean they like money, so probably, But when is that gonna happen? Because now Maxine has been out for gosh in what two months? It will be a year, and we still don't have any clues, any announcements, nothing. It's hard to hard to gauge.
Speaker 3: I did love this trilogy. Man, it surprises me, Like again, not horror is not nothing. I guess it would be horror, but I don't know how you guys define this this trilogy. But yeah, I was just really I think I saw Mia Goth in Suspiria, the Luca version that I love that film, like talk about like art Househoord. Suspiria was phenomenal, and it made me want to see this because because me A Goth was so good and I saw the whole trilogy, and but I didn't see them until Maxine was coming out and they did the re release in theaters of the other two. So it was like once a month, and so I went to see all three in theaters in like a month, and it was really fun.
Speaker 2: That that had to be a pretty damn it exciting experience get them that close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I didn't know how they were all going to I didn't know the whole thing about Pearl being a backstory and all this, and so it was just really cool to see this concept of a trilogy. You know. It's just you don't see like that kind of vision for you know, and Pearl maybe it's the best. It doesn't matter which one is the best or if they're all great or not. It's just like the whole idea of it is really cool.
Speaker 2: Uh do you have a favorite of the three?
Speaker 3: Probably Pearl, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it beautiful movie, all right. So that is Maxine, also from Germany, A random ass movie. May twenty ninth, k Plight is putting out a four kse deal book of Over the Top, the only arm wrestling movie ever to award a truck to the winner. What Okay, Yes, there's an arm wrestling contest and the winner is meant to win a big rig truck.
Speaker 3: The art, the con it's all over the top everything about it.
Speaker 2: It's the lone so yeah, yeah, this has never been my favorite. I'm also I've never been a huge Stallone guy, so I am not after this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sam, but.
Speaker 2: This one I had never heard of either. July one, Synadim and Bloody Disgusting working with screen Box is putting out Tails from the Void. Now. What's cool is this is an anthology show that they did for screen Box. And this is an episodic horror anthology series that is both thought provoking and terrifying based on the most of viral and haunting stories from the subreddit called No Sleep, which is essentially just scary short stories that people write, and they took some of them and made them into a series, which I am intrigued to see how this turned out.
Speaker 3: Well, like scary real experiences people are posting.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they're sometimes they're framed like that, they're definitely all fiction.
Speaker 3: Okay, I gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's essentially short stories to freak you out and to make you not be able to go to sleep.
Speaker 3: I'll pass for now. Uh.
Speaker 2: And then we got criterions this week, which is a perfect week to have you on with your history. July first, they are releasing a four K and Blu ray release of The Big Heat, the Fritz Lang film. This is going to have Dolby Vision, which they've been sort of selective with how they give that out, so that's exciting. We've got a new audio commentary on this one with the Lane Silver and James Ersini, a new visual essay by Farre and Smith name on the women in the film. There's some audio interviews and then there's an essay by Jonathan Letham Fritz Lank Into Any Fritz Lank.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like so at NYU Cinema Studies, they did these courses called Comparative Directors and it's always a random not random, but a different pairing and it was Hitchcock Lane and so each week you you went back and forth and you went through the timeline of both directors and saw how kind of sometimes how their work influenced each other and stuff. So you really did a deep dive in each director. So I got really into the Fritz Long stuff. And yeah, I remember loving this one and shout out to one of my friend's sister Hide. Yeah, Drew did this awesome art. Everything she does is cool and it was cool to see her do I have a different style for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a big deal. I'm glad they got this. This is one that I think they've had the rights to for a while. It played on the Criterion channel many, many times, so people have speculated this should be coming. But it's nice to see it finally here. Yeah, great title, speaking to Kubrick, Barry Linden finally in four K and the word finally there's sort of said as a joke, but I want to point this out to Tony Meyer here says holy crap. Two my favorite internet's people. Sam was a fantastic person to be mutuals with on Twitter before it went to pot. He's excited to see you here.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, Yeah, good to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barry Linden. This is a huge title. People speculating that most of the rest of the Kubrick stuff should be getting Criterion four k's eventually, but this one is probably the one that was guaranteed the most easily. How do you feel about Berry Lindon?
Speaker 3: Love it? I mean again, Kubrick. Kubrick and Miyazaki, I would say, are my two favorite directors. So every Kubrick film just I've seen them all at least a dozen times Big Screen Home Love Barry Lyndon Nice.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm really hoping that we get the Eyes Wide Shut four K from them, and I would love to see your grace that cover.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I did do a print for that one.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful, beautiful print.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is the big one too. Four K and Blu Ray release on July fifteenth. The Adventures of Antwine Danel. This is this is everything. We got the four hundred Blows, Antoina Collette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board, Love on the Run, Truffeaux boxed set so much that people have wanted for a long time. Obviously, the four hundred Blows is known as, you know, the one of the absolute stone cold masterpiece classics. We've got new four K restorations here, all of this sounds great, lots of extras on here s a everything. This looks like a really solid release from them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been waiting for the to come to Blu Ray in this box. I was hoping that they would like do this box again because I had the DVD and just packaging is so great. I don't know if you you probably don't have the slideshow, right there, but how each title is like an art, a sweater or shirt like from his life. If you don't know these movies, it's the same actor over many years. And if you've seen Linklater's films like The Before Trilogy, which are some of my favorites, or Boyhood, those are all you know. Link Layer always cites this these films as an influence, like, could we use the same direct, same actor for all these decades. He's doing another one right now with Ethan Hawk, I think again for like the rest of his life. They're making a movie. So I love that idea. And then yeah, with just like the cinema of childhood I talked about, four hundred Blows is just one of the great films of coming of age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big deal. This is a huge month from Criterion. I'll just say that right now before we get to the end. Next up, July twenty second, Carnal Knowledge, speaking of Jack Nicholson, we get a four K and a blu ray on this one. This is interesting because Indicator had just announced that they're doing a four K of Carnal Knowledge, So now you can compare the two in all reality. The extras on Criterions is not bad. We got a new audio commentary on here, new program with a Mike Nichols, biographer Mark Harris, and film critic Dana Stevens. New interview with Bobby Osteen on the film editing here from archival conversations, Q and a's that sort of thing. And then an essay by Warra we Gel and a nineteen seventy one piece from American cinematographer about the look of the film. There's so much on here that I'm not going to say you should pick up both, but I could see why somebody would want to own this and the Indicator release. They both look like stunning releases, and it's going to make it difficult to choose for sure.
Speaker 3: Cool. Yeah, I remember seeing this one in college and haven't revisited since, but it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is great stuff. And then from two thousand you can count on me coming on four K and Blu Ray on July twenty second as well. This is the Cantalon again, and we've got Mark Ruffalo, Laura Lenny in this one again. We've got an audio commentary with the director on this new interviews with Lonigan and Matthew Broderick, Laura Linley and Mark Ruffalo are all on the disc. An essay by Rebecca Gilman. Have you seen you can count on Me? Yes? Great, great, great great rounds up a huge month from them all four K, all Dolby Vision huge.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. The next flash sale can't come soon enough.
Speaker 2: Between all of these and the Sean Baker stuff, it's gonna be expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right Onora. Right.
Speaker 2: Then we've got Lionsgate Limited, which we knew a couple of these were coming, but then they surprised us with one of them. These are interesting. Here May thirteenth, we get a four K steel book of kick Ass. This is the fifteen year anniversary of kick Ass, which is wild to me. And then, sort of like they did previously with Reservoir Dogs, this is the exact same steel book that they had released through best Buy a handful of years ago, but this time the colorway has changed. In the background. That's the only thing that's different. The other one had a white background. This one has a black background, so that they can say the first one was still limited edition and so is this one. Yeah, that's the only difference. But the big thing there are new extras on this so if you love this movie, you might want that. They've got three new featurettes, a little essay here that's called Physical Media Kicks Ass, which I'm very curious what they did for that.
Speaker 3: Huh interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's everything else was on the disc before, So not adding a whole lot, but at least there's something new for people that want this. Then the next one, this is one I'm genuinely excited about. The Crazies from twenty ten, also getting a fifteen year anniversary four K steel book release now this one. This is the first four K release of this film ever. This is a brand new steel book art for them. All of this is coming with a brand new audio commentary with the director. We've got a handful of other featurettes, including an alternate ending that we're not on the previous disc, and all of the legacy special features are with us as well. This is a pretty incredible look and release of this film. And I don't know what everbody in the chat's going to think of me saying this. I think this is much better than Georgia Romero's original. I love this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not hip to it.
Speaker 2: Do you like him? At the Ola fant.
Speaker 3: I have no feelings either way.
Speaker 2: Too, che men would disagree. Okay, yeah I love Olifant and yeah I think he's pretty good. Okay. Next is May, also coming from lions Gate Limited. This is coming on May thirteenth as well. This is a Blu Ray release of May, same as what Second Site did over in the UK. And what's interesting is this is part of the Vestron Video Collection, which sort of makes no sense because this was not a Vestron video title when this was announced, because Vestron had ceased to exist by the year two thousand and two. This is just sort of an odd addition to all of the titles that they put out previously. And this is exclusive to the lions Gate Limited website, So if you really wanted this one and you don't have the Second Site, this is the place to get it. I'm glad that this is getting a region A release and that it has all of the same exers the Second site, but man, it is cutting off a lot of people from being able to purchase this, and it is sort of rough to see their prices go up. They had for a couple of years at least, gone from about a twenty five to thirty dollars MSRP all the way down to like a fifteen dollar MSRP, and now this is all the way back up to twenty five. So this is likely going to be what it's going for in the future if they do more restaurant titles. I'm assuming you haven't seen.
Speaker 3: Me no again, not on my radar this one.
Speaker 2: So this is a version of the Frankenstein story. Okay, it's a it's very good. This is this is a very like we'll say, awkward cult art house film.
Speaker 3: Okay, if it's our house, I'm in certainly in some ways. I love this artist, Matt Ryan Tobin.
Speaker 2: He's a credible Yeah.
Speaker 3: I really love the like the Pearl paper like the Maxine paperbacks he did, yep, and yeah, just all of this stuff is really good.
Speaker 2: So cool poster. Matt did the art for one of my favorite movies from last year, The Last Stop in You mccounty. He did the the art for I think it was the Umbrella release that he worked on. He just did great stuff for it. Oh yeah, okay, cool, all right. Next another great nineties comedy, mouse Hunt Wow four K from Final Lober on June twenty fourth, and this has a new audio commentary from Joe Ramoni, who is from Hats Off Entertainment. Love this movie. I think this is the best Tom and Jerry film that's not a Tom and Jerry film. Hilarious, great comedy. All of the extras that were on the previous releases are on the included blu ray. How do you feel about Mouse?
Speaker 3: I have not thought about this since.
Speaker 2: Nineteen I think that would be the same form many.
Speaker 3: And even then I barely thought about it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I've seen this film so many times of my kids. This movie a couple years ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, really good.
Speaker 2: Huh, It's it's genuinely really really funny. Okay, Okay, it is a blast, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll put it on my radar.
Speaker 2: One of the more exciting ones for a lot of people. This week July twenty second, Paramount releasing a four K steel Book of Small Soldiers from nineteen ninety eight. This is the Joe Dante film that brought a lot of people to Joe Dante. This, of course, is just an incredibly fun movie blast from the past for a lot of people that haven't seen it for years. What's crazy is this was languishing on DVD for years and just got a Blu Ray for the first time, like a couple of years ago. So for Paramount to put money behind a four K is really impressive. Actually, So I hope this does well. I hope everybody's able to get a copy. This movie is fantastic. Have you seen Small Soldiers?
Speaker 3: I haven't, and I was like eighteen senior year or so, so I was I remember thinking like this looks so I just didn't. It didn't hit me at that time.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: This never never did.
Speaker 2: Totally get that that makes sense. Next up, Michael Hannika. This is back on the Umbrella site. This is the collection that we had talked about a few weeks ago, but there's been some changes. They when they first announced this, they were missing two films, and they sort of quietly removed this from their website, and everybody's like, what the hell's going on. I found a comment from one of their employees on a Facebook group that said they were working on licensing, which is terrifying to hear. That could mean they announced something that they didn't have the rights to and they're going to lose something. But they put it back on their site and went surprise. We added one of the two films that we didn't have before, which is Happy End from twenty seventeen. They also added Michael h profession director a documentary from twenty thirteen, and then a whole bunch of extras and featurettes that were not a part of it before, and all of those have been added with no increase in cost. Would pre order it before, So this now is his complete filmography except for the Funny Games remake, and everything else has like brand new extras, We've got essays. This is a remarkable set.
Speaker 3: I love Hannika. Dude. Yeah, it's interesting because like I I you know, I was telling you I don't like the Gore, I don't like the horror. I don't like violence. So if you are going to make a violent film, it's got to be at this level for me. The way he treats violence, he is saying something yeah, and that's what I want and need, and just the formal rigor of his films. Love Hannica.
Speaker 2: I uh, what what one would you say is your favorite? Hannakhah?
Speaker 3: Then oh that's so hard. I mean my mind does right to Cachet because it was like my introduction to him or cash. However, you would say that or I forget with the Juliabanoche that brought me in. I think it's what I would recommend to people if you've never seen one. It's a good jury point. Yes, I'd probably go with that. But I love like the Seventh Continent, like that one with the that's what that image is from that landscape? Yeah, like what I think it's his first feature. Yeah, I think it's his first I love again. I love seeing a director's first film, Like, what are they coming out of the gate with? What's what do they want to say?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's a phenomenal film.
Speaker 2: Uh. Sibboner is saying, how much is it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is it's hard to answer because it depends on the site that you're ordering from. It basically is going to range between like two and twenty on the low end to like two forty five on the high end. And the big thing is if you order it straight from Umbrella, you already get free shipping just from this one title, so no matter where you are, that's pretty huge. We got another question Reservoirs asking why no Funny Games remake American rights. It has to do with rights, obviously, or they would have included it no doubt. I don't think American rights have anything to do with it. It's just they probably could not secure it for Australia. This is huge though. But the big thing, the Funny Game's remake is available from Europe on Blu Ray, and you can still pick that up very very cheaply. You can get it on eBay, you can get it from Rare Waves, you can get it Amazon UK even, I think so check that out and then you would have a complete set. Just put that, slip that disk in here somewhere and call it a day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, love it, love it. That's weird about the removal like that. You don't see that very often.
Speaker 2: No, and for it to be positive additions is very.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Okay cool.
Speaker 2: Cgv TV wants to point out Umbrella does amazing work on these deluxe box sets. The sets they did for Caligula Bullying Kids were top shelf. Fully agreed. Yeah, I heard that I had not got any of the deluxe editions until after everybody was on there. But man, I've got one. I happen to have a couple right here, but I'm gonna show one that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe I did this but a Sasquatch Sunset coming in a furry slipcover. Oh my god, is a beautiful idea.
Speaker 3: I love that film. It's so funny and moving.
Speaker 2: Oh man, what a unique one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Love the Xeleaner Bros. I've worked with them on a couple of things.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah. Uh. Then Blue Underground gave us some details on some previously announced titles. We got The Blood of Fu Manchu and the Castle of Fu Manchu both coming on four K on July twenty ninth, and these are gonna be world premieres of brand new twenty twenty five four K restorations. They're gonna have Dolby Vision HDR ten all the good stuff with that. We had a new audio commentary with Troy Howard and Nathaniel Thompson. There is gonna be a new interview Stephen Thrower on this as well. Of course it's Jess Franco title, so he's got to talk about it. The Blood of Manchu also has the rift tracks version of here, so lots of cool stuff coming on this disc. And then the Castle of Fu Manchu. This one will also have Nathaniel Thompson and Troy howerth on the commentary. They've got another new interview with Stephen Thrower and the Riff Tracks version also on here as well. Jess Franco. Have you watched much or anything from Jess Franco?
Speaker 3: Probably something, but not these.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is this is basically the pinnacle of video quality of artistic films that you probably would not love. Okay, So if you want to want not great movies to look amazing, okay, good pickup. Okay, this one though, Sony putting out a standard release of Oliver from nineteen sixty eight. This is getting a four K release that will be a pressed mod release, so don't have to worry about it being a burned disc or anything like that. This is a scaping the clutches of one of those Sony Columbia Classics box sets and now you can get it on its own. And it's not even a steel book, which is rare for Sony. Usually a lot of that stuff they still lock up in a steel book. So it's nice to see this getting just a regular release. Oliver. You got a history with Oliver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like them Oliver, you know, yeah, on the big my wife loves musicals. I don't love musicals as a rule. They have to something about. It has to bring me in in a different way. Oh yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: It's a classic.
Speaker 3: Literally, yeah, please, sir, can I have some more? What else.
Speaker 2: Next up? Well? Go USA is putting out a four K and a Blu Ray release of Eleven Rebels from twenty twenty four on May twentieth. This is a movie I've heard is great, has some really great action in it looks really good. I suggest everybody watched the trailer on this one if you're even somewhat interested in this film. Really good trailer on this movie. I'm definitely gonna have to check this one out.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, We'll go usually does good.
Speaker 2: Stuff and and titles that wouldn't get a release from anybody else. So that's a good thing. Uh, this heck is This June tenth, we get a Blu Ray release of the next Paul ws Anderson film, In the Lost Lands, with Dave Bautista and of course Mila Djoviovic.
Speaker 3: I love me.
Speaker 2: I got a picture from a mutual friend of ours that we can talk about afterwards, of him at the premiere of this in New Mexico holding on to Mila and to Paul W. S Anderson and you can probably guess who I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've ever since Cuffs talking about nineties, I've been in love with her.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good stuff. I've not heard any good stuff about this film, though. Lots of Filmmaster's releases went up on their website this week. This first one is a Class of seventy four. This is from nineteen seventy two and it's a limited edition release from their archive collection, which means this is going to have a slipcover. It will have a new audio commentary. The person doing it is Heath from over at Cereal at Midnight. This will also have a booklet with an essay on it, and it's not on this because I just found out today the person who wrote the essay for the booklet is the one and only Amanda Reyes, who is incredible, so very interested in checking this out. I hear this movie is just very very fun and looks very very fun. And the big thing is, I know a lot of people had the old code red DVD of this one. If you have that, you might want to hold on to it because there is a contextual bonus film on that DVD that is not carried over to the Blu Ray release, so just keep that as a little bonus disc. Then they are also putting out the capture. This is coming soon on Blu Ray DVD from their archive collection. The archive collection means it'll have a new scan, it'll be a two K or four K restoration. It will not have bonus features though, and this will be coming on a BDR, so just be prepared for that, which no big deal. It'll still last for a long time. The next one, same line and everything. The Fabulous Dorseyes from nineteen forty seven, also an archive title. Again no bonus features, but a new restoration and it will be a BDR. A Life at Stake also coming from that line, and we don't have release dates for any of these yet, but this one is from nineteen fifty five, so I'll have a brand new restoration and it will be a BDR. The Blood of Jesus from nineteen forty one is getting a release from them as well, same archive collection, no bonus features whatsoever, and a BDR. This one looks very fun. Yeah, yeah, and that's it for film asks. Paul is saying, is this one the same scan as the previous film? Detective Blue releases. I bet it is, but I don't have confirmation on that. Next up July first, Altered Innocence is releasing Lost Country from twenty twenty three. This is set in Serbia during the nineteen ninety six protest. And this one sounds really, really good. We got some trailers on this and it will be a five point one mix for the audio, but not much else on here region free disc and the trailer on this makes it look good, looks like a good film. Next, Keno is releasing Rock Pretty Baby on June seventeenth on Blu Ray. This will have a brand new HD master from a four K scan of the OCEN and a new audio commentary by David del Val, who does great work. I always laugh at this one because this has young heart throb John Saxon I don't ever think of as a young heart throb Jihon Saxon and sal Mineo. And then next is Promise Her Anything with Warren Batty and Leslie Karen from nineteen sixty six. This one will have a new audio commentary from Duayne Epstein. This will also be from a four K scan of the OCN. Lots of cool stuff coming from Keno.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did this period though, last few you've done? Like, how long do those sell? Is it to an older generation that grew up with some of these movies and they're still collecting? Is that kind of the target audience?
Speaker 2: That's a bulk of them? And then we got to realize when these come out, they're probably priced at about fourteen bucks, and maybe two months later they're on sale for like eight ninety five. And so when they're that cheap, a lot of people go, oh, I like Warren Batty, Maybe I like this it's nine bucks? Who cares? Sure? Yeah? Yeah, So a lot of people just throw it in and maybe someday check it out, but also maybe just never unwrap it. Yeah, I got that umbrella. Speaking of umbrella, we just had a long conversation about the stuff they do, the great work. We got a lot of great stuff to talk about. This first one is a four K release of The Salute of the Jugger from nineteen eighty nine. This is coming on August sixth, and there is so much incredible stuff to cover in this one. This is a Rugger Howard film with Jon Chen that people have wanted for years. Vincent Dinafrio is also in this one. This is going to be an exclusive four k HDR restoration of this film, so nobody else has this, and it has three different versions of the movie. This will also have a one hundred plus page book with a bunch of new essays. We got new bonus features. We've got an uncut one hundred and four minute remaster that was done. This is a huge, huge deal for Umbrella. A lot of people have wanted this film for a long time. They've got the workprint cut, they've got the one that people have seen recently, new audi commentaries, a bunch of extras. This is gonna be a crazy, crazy.
Speaker 3: I would say recommended if you like.
Speaker 2: What I've not seen this one because you heard anything, or uh no, uh is it?
Speaker 3: Marshall Art like, what is this?
Speaker 2: It says in a lawless future where society is crumbled and chaos reins, the deadly sport of jugging is the ultimate test of strength, skill and survival. After years of xi, a legendary player Sallo, is pulled back into the violent game, leading a rag tag team of misfits on a quest to ultimate victory. So to me, it sounds like if you like rollerball, you'd probably love this okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coast apocalyptic extreme fighting sport type of.
Speaker 2: Movie, extreme fighting sports to the death movie. Yeah, okay, Rutger, how are only doing films that have four versions? Absolutely just keeping it on brand for him? Yeah, and if Saluted the Jugger is not in your wheelhouse. They're also doing Norroy the one of the best found footage films ever made. This is from two thousand and five, also getting a Blu ray release on August sixth from Umbrella. So really great key art on this one too. This one is going to have a forty eight page book with behind the scenes experiences, art and essays, eight art cards, a custom slipcase, and box set art on it. The new audio commentary by Tom mess who is incredible at what he does. There's an interview with the director that's brand new, Alexander Heller Nicholas talks about Noroi and the horror mockumentary, and then there's some other featurettes that have been on previous releases as well. But this is genuinely a masterpiece, one of the best found footage movies ever made. Love this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually I did see this one.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, would you think? Yeah, loved it very nice, very nice.
Speaker 3: I like the I like the like before the found footage got two. I mean there are certain ones. Who's the director?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Like or does it say right there? Anyone?
Speaker 2: His name is Kogi Shirashi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I mean, especially Asian horror of the late nineties. I love Asian horror.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I mean, any you know Takashe, Mike Japanese like anything like that, I'm pretty much go for that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The next one is a Blu Ray release of Funny Things Happened Down Under starring Olivia Newton John from nineteen eighty five. This is a movie I had never heard of, but man, they've got some new bonus features on this one. This is just getting like a standard little sideloading release from the Earth slipcover release for them.
Speaker 3: Discovering rainbow colored goats, realizing they have a major discovery on their hands.
Speaker 2: Yes, doesn't Doesn't that make you want to pop that in right now? It does?
Speaker 3: Like, I think my wife would want to see this.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be. It's super unique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's very young here, very cute.
Speaker 2: Very young. Yeah, nineteen that's cool. The next one a full Moon box that this is their second volume. This is Full Moon Frights and uh, this one is going to include Puppet Master, Sorority Babes, and the Slameball Bowl rama. And I believe I had to go to two posts. Oh no, maybe I didn't. Uh, let's go back to that. Uh, I just didn't list all the extras. It looks like because there are so many. It's got Seed People, Shadow Zone as well. This is perfect for everybody that got that first volume of the box sees that they did. If you love Full Moon stuff, you're definitely gonna love this stuff. I know that there has been I think standalone releases of a few of these in Australia. I think Sorority Babes that might be the first one that's new.
Speaker 3: Go back to that last image.
Speaker 2: The last image is that Seed People. Uh I did it all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah about But I like how I like how they've put all this together. The video Zone or whatever what is that?
Speaker 2: The video Zone is a little magazine that comes with it.
Speaker 3: So that's I love that desire. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, that looks really great. They do really good stuff. Like we said with their box sets that they're special, cool new extras on pretty much everything. It's exciting if you love full moon stuff. I actually just talked about a Moonbeam entertainment film on another podcast this week. I love a lot of this old stuff. Cool one on one Films over in the UK is putting out tourist traps speaking of full Moon. This is another full moon film. This is coming on June twenty third. This will be region B locked new special features on this they got an interview with Charles Band, this brand new interview with Ted Nicolao, interview with an actress, and then Chris Alexander is also interviewed on this one. Plus they've got some archival extras. This will likely be the same scan that was released in the US, which if I remember, I think it was cut. It was missing like sixty seconds or something like that. I'm not sure. Ok have you seen this film ever? This is a really good one. This one's special. Chuck Conners is amazing in this.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay. I gotta be really convinced when it comes to the typical horror movie, especially American.
Speaker 2: I totally get that.
Speaker 3: I need you really sell me on it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of atypical and not American. June ninth, we're getting a four K release from Hammer of the quiter Mass Experiment. Now, this is this is an incredible, incredible film. This is from nineteen fifty five and it's a sci fi classic that made Hammer who they were. Basically, this is going to be huge like some of their other releases. Funny enough, I don't even remember if I showed it on the channel when it came in, but I got in there Captain Kronos release that they just did, and this thing, this thing is thick, like, this is the size I don't know, four films wide, and quiter Mask looks like it's gonna be at least that thick. This is a this is a crazy looking release. We've got four K discs, we've got Blu ray discs, we've got brand new extras, we've got multiple aspect ratios to choose from. This is a five disc set. You've got posters, you've got booklets, art cards, everything that you can want for this film. This will be the definitive release of the Quider Mask Experiment.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I've always wanted to see this.
Speaker 2: It is an incredible movie. This and the sequels are good too. I know a lot of people are down on one or two of them. But this is really great cool. I am excited to get that one. Then Severn came out of nowhere and announced a Blu Ray box set today. This is a part of their Inner Vision line. Is their first Innervision box set that they've ever done. This is called Bloody Legend the Complete Cliff Twemlow Collection. This is coming in mid June if you buy from their website, or if you want the wide release that'll be coming on July twenty ninth. This is eleven movies on nine different Blu rays. It also has the documentary that they did called Mancoonian Man, so I have thirteen plus hours of special features and a bonus CD. One of the big things here is GBH. This was a video nasty, I believe, and seven has been chasing all of those for years, and I'm so glad that they were able to get this box set out. I've never seen anything from Cliff, but I've heard that these are really fun. The trailer for this looks great. Very very excited to check this one out, and if you wanted to go all out, of course, they're doing a bundle. You can get a shirt with it that says not for the Squeamish, and then they're also putting out three different books that you can get with it as well. Cool Crazy set for one hundred and fifty nine bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the deluxe these deluxe. This is all this stuff that's neat.
Speaker 2: They take up so much space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the super fans.
Speaker 2: All right, the best censoring week, Okay, Manda Micabre we talked about them earlier. They are putting out a blu ray of Ava Man and the Return of Ava Man. This is from nineteen eighty nineteen eighty two. This is a transgender film from back then. New two K restorations for both movies. The poster art on this one is wild. I of course had to censor for YouTube and Instagram and Facebook or I'd be banned from everything. But we can also look at their other poster art that's on the other side that also had to be censored. Yeah, the art on this looks crazy. We've got new commentary, We've got new interviews, including with the main star from this which is wild to get them forty five years later, new visual essay, new interviews will be of available to pre order at the same time as the next title, which is Lady Desire accompanied with sex Omania coming in a Blu Ray double feature as well. These are from nineteen sixty eight and nineteen seventy four and these will go on sale on May first at nine am Pacific. If you are looking for these again, great releases looking from them. They've got extras like crazy. They've got tribute videos, brand new two K restorations for these, and trailers and everything that you could want. If you get the red cases, you get the booklets and uh yeah, if you like Monda Micabro, you probably know what you're getting with these cool m Yeah, these are a must. I pretty much always like the Mondo Micabro stuff and these. This is interesting. So over in Italy there's a brand new boutique company called Legends Collection that I just happened upon. They're putting out Singham from twenty eleven. This is an Indian film and it's the start of the cop universe. They've put out a bunch of films under the same franchise, I guess, and this will be a Blu Ray release. It's got English subtitles, which is not even on Italian releases, so it's nice that we're gonna be able to get this. Any company willing to put out more Bollywood films gets an A plus for me, it is super rare. So it's nice to be able to see we've got brand new artwork on these. Eugenio eric Alani, friend of the channel, has done quite a bit on this one. So that is where I first heard about this. This is exciting. Have you checked out many Bollywood films?
Speaker 3: Sad to say, I haven't. I mean, I guess the length of all of them and the amount of them. It's just like it is daunting. I mean, I do want to like start seeing. I mean, I love like this is in Bollywood, but I love Indian cinema. I mean, like the Sachijit ray, like the Appu trilogy and stuff like that is great. Path Upon Choli is one of my favorites of all time. And of course we saw our r R R R R love r R. But I mean that's all I know.
Speaker 2: So no, I'm still hoping that r R R gets a like an actual great release.
Speaker 3: Does it it got?
Speaker 2: I think it even got a four K, but only in like Japan. Yeah, okay, I don't know. It's got to be some of them with.
Speaker 3: The rights, sure, Yeah, I would love that too.
Speaker 2: Lastly, like I mentioned earlier, we were going to talk about another Warner Archive replacement disc and uh, this is brand new, just friends. Literally just went up for pre order and really only like a handful of these were even shipped out. But this got announced as having special features, and uh, when people were getting these, the special features we're just missing on the disc, just the film, so they are replacing the disc. I've got all the details on the post. You can go find it. That's all we know for now. Just got to put in to get your replacement discs so you can get those bonuses. There you go. Reservoir was asking about that Italian company and I said that they are putting out Asian films, and Reservoirs said, what kind of Asian films. It's a big continent. Literally, that's all that says. If you go to their about page, it says we plan on sharing Asian films. It's not a lot of informational. As always, after the announcements, just in case you forgot, we cover what is coming out next week real quick in case you want to go grab it before something sells out. Of course, the big title Tombstone four K coming next Tuesday here in the US. That is shipping from some people already Sneakers four K from Keno, Career Opportunities, four K from Keno, Foul Play four K from Keno as If They ever rest. The four K of the Hunt comes out next week from Shout. We've got the Jean Florette and Monande spring title that is coming from Criterion. Captain Planet and the Planeteer is the complete franchise next week. Cheyenne the complete series from Warner Archive. Yakuza Wives from eighty eight films, Jackaman and Tetsu is also next week. Lady with the Sword the Cruel see from Keno Hysteria Season one or also should have been called the complete series because it was canceled already, But those are the big ones. Borderline is also coming from Keino Classics, and then Tribeca putting out Tendaberry next week. That one is an Amazon exclusive, so if you want that one, you gotta get on Amazon. Tombstone the big title. Have you ever seen Tombstone? Yeah? Yeah, sure, good, It is a good one.
Speaker 3: Should revisit it after Valve's passing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. The announcement of that and the timing of that is going to make it sell like hotcakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I career opportunities was, you know, a big hit for Kino. That was a formative movie for me. You could say Jennifer Connelly is probably my like number one cinema love you know, gorgeous. Yeah, absolutely like I love. In fact, it's funny, I just removed one of her films from my top five cover designs that we're going to do because while revisiting the list, I realized there is a blu ray of the title I was going to have, which is very rare. It's a film called Etol. So this is like young Jennifer Connelly, like Labyrinth Phenomena era, and she made this obscure never seen It's almost like a black Swan type of thing. It's a ballet, but it's like this dreamlike nightmarish kind of thing. And I need to find this. Maybe you can help me get.
Speaker 2: A Yeah, it's gonna have to be eBay only. It was a Ronan Flicks site exclusive, which Ronan Flicks doesn't even do much anymore. This was done by Scorpion Releasing a handful of years ago and has been long sold out.
Speaker 3: Have you even heard this of this movie.
Speaker 2: I mean when it was announced, that was it. But it's not like I didn't even know anybody that had seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, no one's seen it. And like you would think, since everyone loves Phenomena and Labyrinth, that people the least look up what is this? And that's what I did, because I'm a Connony super fan and like I was like, I have to see this. This looks cool and it was cool. I mean it's you know, underappreciated. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, but it's still really interesting.
Speaker 2: So now that we've gone through all the announcements discussion with Sam, we are going to cover a top five lists. You picked five titles that you would love to design art for if they were to be released, And funny enough, I picked five titles that I would love for your style to be applied.
Speaker 3: I figured that's what you're going to go for.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually this was really hard to whittle down. I had like nine, Well, dang it. There's a couple that I always seen as for some reason, like attaching with you in my mind, and then there's things that I went, you know, I kind of wanted him to push somebody else out and do it if they were to do this. So I got some cool ideas. So we'll talk about that a little bit. But first, how do you describe your style to somebody that's never seen your work?
Speaker 3: Well, I go back to a traumatic moment in middle school and drawing class when the late Jean Sizemore, my drawing teacher, gave me a B minus and told my parents Sam's great, he's brilliant, but he doesn't have a style and he needs to get a style. And I my dad was so offended. It's sticking up for me, you know, like why do you have to have one style?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And that always stuck with me and I was like, yeah, that's right. I don't have to have a certain style. And I think if you have one visual style, especially if you're an illustrator, you know, you get pigeonhole to doing the same thing over and over again. We've seen this with a lot of the like the Mondo people I mentioned, and they're great, But I've never been like a specialist of a specific style. In fact, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I do love drawing.
Speaker 3: Some of my favorite things I've done are like hand drawn illustrations, but it's not my you know, I haven't put in the thousands of hours, so I love just like an iconic concept, so conceptual ideas and the not necessarily showing the actors showing an idea. That's why I love all the Polish posters, the check posters, Cuban posters, because Cuban posters have that simplicity of design. You can just have cut out shapes or whatever. So I love anything like that. But it's always like finding the best solution for the film. You know, given the brief that whoever you're working for or for you is doing some for yourself, then I'm just like, I want to see this as a cool yellow and blue That's what I'm seeing in my head. I'm gonna I'm gonna do that and try to do something atypical for what's already been out there, you know, like kind of maybe a new way of looking at a film visually.
Speaker 2: It's a good answer, because you know, even just looking at your website, it's hard to you know, look at three different things that are vastly different. Just anybody else looking at them could think these are three different artists entirely cool. It is such a fun. I don't know if you announce that you're involved with something. You just never know what you're gonna get, which is the most exciting aspect of it.
Speaker 3: I think, thank you, thank you. That's that's like the best compliment, you know. And I think it's cool to you work with photography like I love. Yeah, I love actors and photographs. Why do we love movies actors? I mean, it's like one of the biggest things to see a human we're not watching. I mean, yes, Kaiina SCATSI is one of my favorite films of all time. It happens, but not every movie is like about buildings and landscapes. You know, you love seeing a face of someone you love on screen, and it's amazing when you think about it. Almost every poster and DVD has a human face on it. Like it's very rare, it doesn't, you know. But yeah, using photography, there's a lot of great things you can do with it, and then hand drawn, you know whatever. I try to think of, like what's the what's the idea of the poster and then let that determine how I what medium I use, Right, So just go to find out the closest path to.
Speaker 2: That anybody that's watching is that that is interested in being either a graphic artist or they're already gabbling in some of this. Would probably want to know what are some of your go to tools? What do you like to work with.
Speaker 3: Most I'm you know, every person kind of gets stuck in their own weird ways. I use Photoshop for assembling everything I do. You know, of course, you have to deliver files digitally. You can't just mail someone up painting. That's how they used to do it, though I guess I could if I really wanted to. But I like having control over the type, you know, the layout. I love to do a whole package when possible. All my criterions were like, you know, you do the whole package the menus as well. Now with most of the boutiques, you know, again their smaller budget, they have an in house designer, so they used to to cover. But yeah, I like to use some I like to use organic elements where I can. I like to have a texture that's real, not fake textures. I hate like it. It's fine every now and then for a certain brief, but I don't like fake poster textures. I like to use real paper, real materials to kind of you know, bring a handmade quality to things. I sometimes cut, like the Love Crime was all made with cutout paper, like actual construction paper. But you know, so I cut I well sometimes like that's interesting, I'll sketch it out digitally with a tablet the forms, then i'll print that out. Then I'll cut those forms out with paper. Then I'll scan them in and put them back into photoshop. So you know, sometimes you can use the digital tools like a tablet to really get an idea out quick. It's very helpful, or you know, in my sketchbook. But yeah, everything goes into photoshop usually, and yeah, sometimes it's photocolors. Sometimes it's you know, all digital illustration I've done on some cases.
Speaker 2: So yeah, uh, what is uh, we'll go two different things. What is the piece of art that you've created that you're most proud of so far?
Speaker 3: Oh, gosh, I most proud of. I mean, I really am proud of these two that I did for before sunrise and before sunset, and then later he did before midnight. So I did a third one that was like years later, which I tried to kind of make it work with the other two. I don't know how successful that one is, but the first two, you know, just again, you know, idea comes to you and just a very short distance between the idea coming and you executing what you see. And I'm sure you would relate to this in any of the things you do, even though you're not a visual artist, like, oh wow, I really that was a perfect flow, you know I am, And when you're doing something just for yourself, you can have that. I didn't do that for a client, although little trivia like Peter Becker at Criterion always told me back in the day like, oh, we would love to use those one day for a before trilogy, And you know, years go buy and things change and different ideas come about, and that didn't. It did end up happening. But I do love those. I'm really proud of them, and I made screenprints that sold out the whole addition, it's it's one of my things in my back pocket. I would love to do one more edition at a larger size like silk screen. And those are very inspired by the Cuban posters where you have just like shapes, colors and shapes that represents something like to how do you represent two people talking on one night? Well, you can show them walking and talking, or you just do the idea of a son with this little sliver of time, you know, so I thought that was I look back, it holds up. I wouldn't change a thing about it, you know.
Speaker 2: So, uh, sibitor has got a question for you. Here, Are you a fan of Pascal Champion?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'll look.
Speaker 2: I don't know the name either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it an artist? So I'll check and get.
Speaker 2: Back to you. One of the other things, you know, I asked what piece of art you're most proud of? Is there a piece of physical media that you have been attached to that you're still like baffled that your name is attached to that film?
Speaker 3: Well, ause, I mean I have to say how it's just the fact that, like I got a note from Obayashi himself and he has the poster, and like I got to meet his daughter Chigumi when I was in Japan, you know, just like that kind of thing, having like a personal connection to this filmmaker and this this work that's been totally reappraised, and that poster played a role in that. That's a huge honor. So that is that, And then I would say the Kotsi trilogy for Criterion. I love Kawana Scott Si, the whole Cotzi trilogy. It's something my dad, like, you know, who is an artist. He probably he had the soundtrack when I was growing up. He probably turned me on to it. And then I remember being an n YU they had the in the NYU library. You have a viewing floor, like of the library. It's a big library down in Washington Square, and you just go to this media center and you can there are these little cubicle booths and there's a little CRT televisions in each one and you can watch anything you just check. You have them pulled it from their library, and it's like not the ideal viewing conditions, but I always say that, like a great film, you can watch it on a ten inch CRT and it will blow you away. And that's what happened with Coin On SCOTTSI one of the most visually stunning films and I'll never forget seeing that. And so getting the chance to do that for Criterion was huge.
Speaker 2: It looks like Pascal Camping does covers for The New Yorker.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, Yeah, New Yorker is on my bucket list one day to do a cover.
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 3: Times but not New Yorker.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things that I was going to ask too, is where where you know, now that you've been associated with some of these more monumental films and music and events and stuff like that, what is something that you would feel like, dang, my art being associated with this Now I've made it.
Speaker 3: Go like the next goal, the dream or whatever. Well, I want to venture into whole new terrains with different projects and ideas. One would be like to do children's books one day, and not just like not just the typical children's book, but like I really want to make I did a show in Japan that was geared at children. It was like this history of the Universe thing, and it was it was to try to get my foot in the door and meet some people and like, imagine, okay, what could I do one day, Like if I were to do like children's art. So I'm really interested in that. If if I had my way, I would have. I do have a brand called Sammy and it's it's got on Instagram. I just got it sitting there waiting because I want to make like children's cool stuff like puzzles, clothes, like that's an area I want to get into at some point. And then also, I also have a I'll just tease for everyone listen listening, I've designed a game. So this is not announced you. I'm not announcing it here the name or anything. But it is a game and I've designed it. It's done, and I'm excited to try to have that come out and potentially be a success. That would be a big goal to like, have thisam be a success.
Speaker 2: Biero.
Speaker 3: You'll you'll probably hear about it whenever I actually get around to trying to get it out, which hopefully will be in the next year. Maybe.
Speaker 2: I hope that's excellent. I'm excited for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll probably pick your brain about ideas, and I'll need your help promoting.
Speaker 2: It for sure, happily, Happily.
Speaker 3: It is a is a card game, nice, and I would say, rather than a strategy it's a party game, and it is a move is a movie game. And I know there's already a couple movie games out there. This is the best one you've ever played. Wow, I'm confident to say.
Speaker 2: Well that, okay, I'm very excited. That's awesome. Yes, all right, So to change gears entirely, this is go a little bit of whiplash. One of the things that I've I've always wanted to ask you, and I still can't believe that this friendship has happened. But yeah, I've respected you for so long for associating with the West.
Speaker 3: With the with which one the fantasy three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Uh, where where did the desire to you know, throw yourself behind that come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, I guess just simply the ways I can do something, you know, without you know, we don't have to get into any of the politics. It's it's all common sense when it comes to gun safety.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: If you don't, if you're not on board with that, I don't. I don't. I got nothing for you.
Speaker 2: We're not going to fix it the next five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But yeah, I mean we had the shooting that was at Covenant School and that's five minute walk from my house, so I live in that neighborhood. And so yeah, just it's one of those things you know when you have, like there's a school shooting and that happens in your neck of the woods, and it's like oh wow, and so yeah, just getting how can I do something? You know, as an artist, you rarely feel like you can help in any way, and not that it's a big deal. It's not. But I was like, oh, I like making posters, and I one of the things that inspired me to Mague posters was the Cuban posters. There's this great book you should all check out called Well there's a few book of books of Cuban posters. Now any of them will do, but all the revolutionary Cuban posters, you know, and the film posters from Cuba at that time, they're really cool and they inspired me in the first place. So every now and then I'll just play around with like political posters just if I have an idea, and you know, throw them out online. And with Tennessee three, it was just yeah, I was down there at the capitol every day in any ways, and so I was like, well, I might as well make these posters and shirts. And yeah, then like everyone wanted shirts of the Tennessee three. So and we just like, I know, a bunch of screen printers, like I've done, you know, screenprints and stuff. So my screen printer friends and printer friends all jumped into help, and we in about twenty four hours, we went from nothing to having you know, a few hundred shirts and posters and just went down to the Capitol and yeah, sold the shirts and donated all that to every town just as like a fundraiser for gun safety awareness, and yeah, just a way to do something.
Speaker 2: This is I think one of the best examples of somebody that you know, has a platform but isn't like a Kardashian or something that we would call like an influencer, doing the most with what they can in a way that supports you know, just straight human empathy and without Without that, there are so many things that just would never get attention. There are people that wouldn't care their thing that you can put, you know, your energy behind and raise some money for people that would never get an opportunity for proper representation or what have you. And it's it's just a big deal to see somebody that you respect respect others like that. So thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the very least I can do. I mean a lot of people do a lot more. You know, I could be doing political art twenty four to seven, but I usually just don't do something like that unless the idea comes to me and it just feels natural. I'm not trying to be preachy about anything. I just I love graphic design as a problem solving tool, and you know, I was like, there's this needs to be made.
Speaker 2: So yeah, on that note, to.
Speaker 3: Meet got to meet them too, you know, got to meet Pearson and Justin and Gloria and that was so cool because I think Peerson is an incredibly inspiring political figure man like.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, it's an interesting time out there. Every town has done some good stuff, so yes, it's good to hear. On that note, we we both prepared some some top five lists you of titles that you would want to work on, and I've got five that I would want you to work on. I will happily go first here, and I tried to make these as the blue.
Speaker 3: Rays that have not been released on Did you have a framework here?
Speaker 2: I did, because.
Speaker 3: None of mine have been released on Blue ray at all.
Speaker 2: Well, I mostly have a framework, yes, yes, so I'll go first here. Number five is one that has has been on Blu Ray. However, it was only by the director and it had like the shortest run ever. It did get a Blu Ray over in the UK, but we need a domestic Blu Ray release of Adam Ray Meyers Dinner in America. And there is something about this movie that is Kyle Gallner and he is just like the definition of punk in this in the coolest way. He is also working with Emily Skeggs, who is just amazingly cute in this. The musician side of you, I think would pull some really interesting inspiration with the art style here, because Kyle Gallner plays the lead singer for an underground punk band that wears a ski mask, you can never see his face, and just what you've done to minimalize some of those artistic images, I feel like you could really kill a cover for this film.
Speaker 3: Okay, Cool, It's add to the watch list.
Speaker 2: It is a wonderful movie. And it has a really really great musical scene of him building a song with Emily Skeggs in front of him, and it's a it's just a beautiful film. Love this movie.
Speaker 3: Cool, Yeah, yeah, Okay, nice? Yeah. Like the iconic Like when I say iconic, that word is overused, you know, Like I could say you are iconic because you have a great Blu ray channel and you do. But I what I'm what I mean by iconic is like in the sol bass type of way where something that could be especially seen at a small scale and still have an impact because we're seeing everything on thumbnails now I'm looking, I'm looking at you know, something that small. I want my posters to hit at that size. Yep, and the full size, so you know, less is more kind of approach.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I think this is the perfect one for your style.
Speaker 3: Okay, are we going back and forth or are you going all.
Speaker 2: Your let's do it. I think that'll make it a little more interesting.
Speaker 3: You got just okay, So five favorite films of mine that have never been reallysed on blue ray. I particularly would love a chance to design something for now. You're probably gonna tell me, oh, there's a blue of that blue of that. That'll be great news. I would love to find out that there's a lut Okay, the first one is. And by the way, is it easy for you to like tap over to a scene where you could like pull up images or is that too?
Speaker 2: That's too, I can do that. But also at the bottom of your screen, if you have it up there, there's a button this is present there. You can share a tab and I can display it for everybody as well.
Speaker 3: Just like a tab yeah tab of my chrome. Yeah, okay, because it'll be it'd be interesting to give people a visual of the film and also the existing stuff. Okay, I'm going to share my tab. Sorry sorry sorry, Okay, so present and I choose my own tab.
Speaker 2: Yes, you'll click on share screen and then when that pops up, you'll keep it on chrome tab and just choose whichever.
Speaker 3: One you're Okay, perfect, Here we are. It is the Secret of Roan Inish. Okay, now I told you I love children's cinema. I love fairy tales, folklore. This is a deaf crocodile or it's waiting to happen, you guys, if you're.
Speaker 2: Listening, Craig will listen and you can.
Speaker 3: Get this going. It is a beautiful little Irish fable. You've heard of? Have you seen like Song of the Sea? Oh yeah, you see like the Selki the idea of a the Selki, which is this like seal spirit of someone from who's gone. So it's this father daughter thing. It's just on this little island house where this girl encounters with Selki that maybe maybe her mother. Oh so beautiful man directed by John Sales. Love it. So yeah, let's get that we're gonna manifest.
Speaker 2: As as a deaf Crocodile release. I could definitely see that, right man, that is a good idea. And look at that, Tony says, Rowe nine Ish is one of my favorites, longtime favorite films. There you go.
Speaker 3: Oh you're on Facebook too? Yeah, okay, I see, I didn't see all the comments.
Speaker 2: You a mission?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, Tony knows what's up pretty much anyone. Oh yeah, if you love Banshees of an a Shearin, go right to this.
Speaker 2: Uh so mine. My next one is one that I have a feeling. This is not a guarantee, but I have a feeling is going to be in the Criterion collection soon. So this is the triumphant return. Hopefully we get you on this. With the recent success, I think that Sean Baker is going to get his release of Four Letter Words soon. This is his first feature film. Yeah, I have not seen it yet, and he just had this film added to the Criterion channel, and I believe Janis picked up the film rights for this, so I'm hoping that this happens soon. The style here that we're seeing in the posters is not as iconic as his most recent stuff because it was so young for him. But as you can tell you know, the colors that are with this would go great with a lot of how you've used some really great colorways. This is a movie we're gonna be talking about in a few weeks on the channel. Again, just to heads up, this is some good stuff. But yeah, Sean Baker obviously getting a lot of attention at the moment, and for good reason, and with the Criterion channel picking it up, I think we're likely to see a release it this year soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool. Yeah, it's got that gradient, it's got his classic font he has on everything now. But yeah, I love Baker. I loved Tangerine, especially of course Honora I thought was great.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned his font and that that brings up a good question. How do you are you passionate about fonts and testography?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sure, for sure, of course, of course I think the lettering and the typography is very important. I loved working with it. I love working with even the billing block, you know, just like making it all come together and lock in. Uh so, Yeah, you can always learn so much more about typography and fonts. Font You know, fonts just means the computer file. I don't know if you knew that, but you would really say typeface, you know, rather than a font. And I have certain designers I know who are like encyclopedias and I'll go to them with questions or can you help me identify this this typeface or this font. I love recreating fonts for typefaces from from films where you don't know what was that you know in the title car and try to bring that into the cover, especially if the title treatment from a film has not been used in a poster like The Keep did that They used that actual lettering and I love that. So yeah, I'm a big geek about.
Speaker 2: Type good stuff. Uh, next one for you, would you?
Speaker 3: Okay? Next for me? We got now this one does have like a UK Blu Ray, so okay maybe, but I want the US Blu Ray release. I want another release. It is a Japanese filmmaker that I love, Coreta, and he has made of course Shoplifters. Uh just came out. This is his first film. It's called Maba ROSSI have you ever heard of it?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know everyone talks about Shoplifters, and you know people have seen Broker Monster his new ones. But this is a film about a woman who goes to a a kind of It's also on a coastal town where she was from, and it's a type of ghost story but done in a very lyrical, beautiful poetic way. It is my favorite Creator film by the ways. Still Life another great Creator film. Criterions put that out. That's this like Afterlife, Sorry, Afterlife, not Still Life. That's Jacques Gienca. Afterlife is great. I would recommend that if you want to see more Creta. That's like people have died and they go to this in heaven or it is like a movie studio and you recreate one scene from your life. So he plays around with the like ideas of like story that deal with crossing over, you know, and it's just it's stunning film. So this is probably the most low key, like no one knows about this one when I pick it, it's not like, oh yeah, that movie. But I would highly recommend it to people. And this is this DVD by Milestone Films. You know, it's so weird, Like I saw the Blu ray at video drone from this Milestone Films, but like I can't find it on eBay. There's no listing on Blu ray dot com, Like, can you help me?
Speaker 2: Out. There is UH on Amazon right now for one hundred and forty.
Speaker 3: Five dollars exactly. So I don't know why, why is that so rare.
Speaker 2: Because it went out of print very quickly and people love Coreata, so but.
Speaker 3: I don't know anyone who has it, Like, who are these people?
Speaker 2: Video Drome in Atlanta? That's it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw it. I was like, oh my god, Okay, so yeah, baby, I was wrong there. So blue ray exists, but it's it's time to get a new restoration going of this. I'm sure. I'm sure something's in the works at some point now that Corey is on such a platform.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, if people are paying attention something that's that out of print and it's going for one hundred and fifty dollars, we deserve to have an imprint release of that. And what's hilarious. I am glad that you picked that as the next one, because it's a perfect segue for the next one, which you have worked on some incredible Asian films. You were working on some Asian films coming out in the future. I think that Criterion needs to release this one because it is currently out of print in the US, and I think it deserves the notoriety of a criterion release just so that more people will see it. And this movie is so sumptuous, I guess is a good word that it deserves a deep, rich four K release of twenty sixteen's The Handmade It Ooo. This is This is one of those movies where every single frame is like, we can stop, we can it, we can put it on the wall, and you will think, yes, that is just a work of art. This movie is perfection, one of the most romantic films ever made. And with your you know, making something beautiful out of an already an already gorgeous movie and stripping that down to its bare minimum, this would be so perfect for you. I could see a screenprint of this just doing Gangbusters. This movie is. This is a life changing movie for those that have never seen it. Twenty sixteen is The Handmaid and really needs to be at the top of your watch list, not gatekeeping whatsoever, not saying, oh my god, how have you seen this? But it is a modern masterpiece that can wake you up to a different style of filmmaking than you've ever imagined. This movie is perfect.
Speaker 3: Dang hi praise, I love that. Yeah, Park Chan wuk Yeah, beautiful stuff cool, Okay, okay, it's giving me ideas. You got me, you got my gears turning?
Speaker 2: All right, what have we gotten next?
Speaker 3: Beautiful?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I will say this film will be life changing. If you haven't seen it now, don't hit my tab just shew. I'll tell you when we mentioned Nicole Kidman, this film thankfully is now getting more people on board in the last couple of years because of the Zone of Interest, and that is one of my favorite films of the last twenty years, maybe my favorite film of the two thousands. Jonathan Glaser's Birth so criminally overdue for a Blu Ray release. There has to be some I'm sure this is already in the works with Criterion or someone that it has to be unless it's in some weird legal hold up. Do you know anything anyway, I'm not even worthy of this film, Like Jonathan Glazer has only made four films, right, Sexy Beast, Birth, Under the Skin, and Zone of Interest. They've all been well. Birth and Under the Skin and Zone of Mistress are masterpieces.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 3: Sexy Beast is incredible. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but I just man, the guy is just everything Glazer does. All his earlier videos I loved, but this was shot by Harris Savidez and he is gone now. And the cinematography it's like a full frame you know. I love the full frame aspect ratio. I'm way into that, any kind of Academy ratio or one three three. And the cinematography is astonishing. And the concept it's that the fantastique I told you about. It's like this idea that what if this child is her former husband and what that can do to your mind when you're grieving someone, This idea of not for being able to let go of someone you loved, it is so haunting. It is a New York movie. It is a winter movie, a gothic New York Upper West Side fairy tale, and it is It's kids Kidman's best work. And that includes Eyes Watched, that includes Dogville. It is phenomenal. I really hope now that zone of adventuresses out. You guys, Oh, I worked on Birth, so.
Speaker 2: I was going to that has worked on quite a few films here.
Speaker 3: Okay, like what he can tell me in the chat, but I'm curious what crew capacity or whatever, So I don't really know what I would do for birth, but it was one of those things where if someone emailed me, it was like, hey, we have birth, we heard you on Disconnected, and what would you do for this? I I would just like, oh, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Let me let me to yes, yes, but I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. And the best Alexander Displas score that he's ever made, the score alone is final. Have you seen Birth?
Speaker 2: My friend? I adore Birth the first time a few gosh, maybe it was last year now, not too long ago. It was zone of interest. In talking to Sibnar, they got me to watch it, and uh, I guess I probably should have sought it out after loving under the Skin and getting Sexy Beast from overseas as well, because I don't think do Sexy Beast still not have a Blu Ray in the US either?
Speaker 3: I think, as far as I know, I don't have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it looks like it was released by Twilight Time way back in the day, but on Amazon right now for two hundred and fifty dollars. Good God, Jesus. So Sibner says he played a waiter at the reception after the husband's funeral.
Speaker 3: Oh fantastic, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it. Okay, so my on.
Speaker 3: Set with Harris a Vedez and the cast, Danny Houston, I mean, I could go on and on, Laren Bacall, for God's sake.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal, big big deal. Yeah, we need to release that for sure. And just like you said, I kind of assume that one is in the works.
Speaker 3: It'll just yeah, but you'd think it would have come out by now. Also, so it's like, what is taking so long? I don't know, but you know, maybe Glazer takes this time. He clearly takes his time with projects, so maybe he's supervising a whole new restoration. I mean the DVD, like the version that's shown on Criterion Channel. Whenever they show it, it looks perfect to me. I don't know why you'd reapproach the anything about the transfer, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good question. Yeah. My next one is a bit of a cheat a little bit, because I have envisioned you doing a great version, like we talked about, where you the entire package, not just the cover art. But some of my favorite releases over the last I think we're going on three years now are the two box that's the seven Films has put out called All the Hauntspy Hours the Okay, seeing your take on a full design of this where you're integrating the booklet on the inside, the menus, everything would make one of these mind blowing. The way that you can take, you know, fifteen films and make stylized key art that all matches in very unique ways with the styles of those films from all across the world. Because your styles are so different, it is the perfect way to showcase all of those at once. And I would just love to see that sort of a platform for you.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Well, I think very highly of those releases. Again, I used to just say I don't love horror, but now I've found so many of these sub genres that are really feeling and that that a lot of those are that you know, I got the first box, uh, the House of Psychotic Women. Like you said, I know that's that's not folk horror, but this kind of academic I love the Yeah, I love that All the Haunts. There's some not okay, there's not really over but you know, Kierla Janice talks about some folk horror things and the art on the the all the Haunts already. I can't. Like, if they asked me to do volume three, I would say, no, you guys, just do what you do on the others, because it's it's great all that, like the Woodland Days Dark and Bewitched documentary with all those great Guy Madden due the collages or my dein it all looks so great already. So I mean, and it's funny you say that, because there have been times when someone's asked me to do something and I pass it on to someone else because I'm like, this person would do with an even better job, you know. But yeah, that's that's cool. It would be fun to do some kind of maybe not another All the Haunts by name, but something similar to that where I could do a whole series. I am doing a box set right now of a TV show, so it is a lot of assets. I can't say what it is yet under I'm under contract on that, but it'll be a chance to do a lot of art in a style that kind of goes together.
Speaker 2: So nice. All right, Then your next one.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay again, don't go to the tabu till I tell yeah, this is an interesting one. And you know what I'm gonna go ahead and say, right now, this might be very hard for you to pull off. That may give you a challenge that you should manifest with me. This this existing because I think you have some I some resources, some similar lines of thinking that something like this should be released. Okay, And before you click in, I'm just going to say, you know, the most famous poster designer anyone can name is Sallbass. He did the Vertigo poster. He also did a bunch of title sequences. He directed the shower scene in Psycho. Let me say that again. He directed the shower scene in Psycho, the.
Speaker 2: Most well known scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe the most well known and well edited scene ever. Like yeah, okay, so title sequences. He did some short films, a lot of corporate films that are interesting, and they those Japan has released some of them on DVD and Blue Red I think. But all of his shorts are really interesting. And there's one in particular that blew me away. If you love genre, if you love fantasy, you need to see hit it Quest. Have you heard of or seen Quest?
Speaker 2: I've definitely heard of it. I've not seen it.
Speaker 3: Super cool man, It's like a short. I'm going to say it's under let's see what's the run on. It's probably like thirty minutes, so you know, not it's a substantial short, and it's you know, if you've see like he did a feature called Phase is A Phase five is four Phase four Yeah yeah, and like I saw that, I was like, okay, that was pretty cool, but it didn't something about quest. You can see just from these pictures alone, how neat this looks. He uses like paintings and miniatures and all this stuff. It's about this. It's this myth of this boy who comes from the from nature and he's selected to be the chosen one. It's very abstract and there's no good version of it. And the idea that you can't get a great nude transfer is on Blue rat Like I would love to see this and you could just pair it with other Slivas shorts. Yeah, this really neat to happen.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I'm getting like Jim Henson and Ken Russell made a baby from looking at this.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it's because it's showing that that monster the second one that's this like weird beast that he plays chess with in one see. But you know, Bass would just do these really interesting visual sequences and effects that that fifth see the sixth image that's like a black border with a yulage of photos. That is a poster that saw Bass designed. And so what I would want to do if I were tasked with this, I would want to do something that Saul Bass would have done too, and use some of some of that approach make it kind of look similar to that. I really love to do things. I've done a couple of criterions actually where I didn't actually create the cover art. I just adapted a poster and tried to develop the rest of the package in a way that felt like what they would have done at the time. So I would love to handle the release of quests you know nice. Yeah, interesting, it wasn't one oh one going to put it out. Oh interesting. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have not heard about that, but that would be good to know. Okay, Yeah, chase that down, Simon or if you can, if you can figure that out, that'd be good to know. Okay. So my number one is, uh, this is this is like the most obvious number one in the world. I feel like because this is from a director that you can take a couple images from every single one of his films and say, oh, yeah, this person directed that. We we absolutely know that, so it would never be a question. But the way that you I could see using his just jarring imagery and make something minimalist out of that that captures the brain in a cool way. I can't possibly imagine anyone else doing Ken Russell's the films.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: This would be such a cool turn for you. I mean some of the ways that uh, you know, some of the more I don't know, frenetic I guess designs that you've done could work well for this. With Ken Russell being just such a unique bastion for the surreal in some of his films and you coming from like the opposite spectrum of that, I feel I could make this such a damn unique clash of styles.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, cool, Yeah, certainly, I'm game. There was a great poster I saw in my I think it was Midnight Marauder. Who did it? If you tab over to my tab? Wait, oh no, it's not the same tab anymore, I need to go Yeah it is so right here.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, I like that a lot.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm sure there's lots of cool things you could do with it. Okay, okay, cool, Well you've given me some fun ideas.
Speaker 2: So you got number one yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got one left and I don't I don't actually know if I ranked these. So these these are all five kind of equally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: One I've already done a a toaster for for myself for fun. So would I just use this if I were to be asked to do the Blu Ray maybe if they if they let me get away with it. It is Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park. This is one of my favorite films period. Uh, Gus Van Sant. You know, he's done a lot of interesting things from you know, his early work My Own Private Idaho, then like a couple of Hollywood things like Goodwill Hunting, but then he did this death trilogy in the two thousands with Jerry Elephants and Last Days. Have you seen any of those?
Speaker 2: Uh, I've seen a few. I've seen my Own Private Idaho. Of course. I love that we talked about side Kill right before you bring up with ghost fans.
Speaker 3: In that's true, that's true. I even thought that was cool that he remade Psycho and no one else thinks that. But I think it's cool, but yeah, Jerry is awesome.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 3: It's just Matt Damon and Casey Affleck as two guys named Jerry walking in a desert and you don't know what's going on, and that is a great there. They just have a great feeling to them. And Paranoid Park he made after the Death Trilogy, and it is a it's from the point of view of this boy, this teenage boy, and he encounters something traumatic that happens, and the whole film is him kind of just in this moment of his life, reflecting on the experience of what he just witnessed and the effect it has on him. I've never seen a film truly capture what in my experience it felt like to be a teenager and just in just the thoughts in your head, feeling so like tender in the world and like kind of like trying to figure out who you are, but in the least cliche possible way. This is a very special film and really would love to see a Blu ray release. And I did a to show you the print I did. I'll see if I do, I'll see if it comes up on Google search test Google's ability. Okay, not yet, but it is not. It's on my site, so I'll go there. Yeah, here we go. This is what I did for it. I know that's a very strange looking thing. You probably look at that and say, what what's that? But I'm just gonna let it speak for itself. That's my that that's what I did. And of course it's a pretty abstract to be a blue red cover, but.
Speaker 2: I mean that's perfect for Ghosts Fan's antho too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's actually like he has his hands over his face and it's from a scene, a shower scene where the water is pouring down over his face. And the way they did a frame rate or something, I actually think it was okay. Christopher Doyle and rain Lee. Christopher Doyle is a cinematographer. He did the one car y stuff wow, and so I'm telling you man, And then it's in the rain Lee aspect is too. Rain Lee did all this skateboard footage, so he does he skateboards this kid with his friends, and so interspersed you have this like DV or like eight millimeters maybe skateboard footage. So it's kind of a skateboarding movie too. Man. It's just very powerful film. Please check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to see this one. I love some of those movies that just captures I don't know, the zeitgeist of that era of skateboarding. I was too tall and and a klutz and way overweight to skateboard, but I was dying to be one of them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tried to. I tried to, and like I never made it, like to a skate park, but it's got those moments where like he he goes to a skate park for the first time and sits on the edge and they're like that nervousness of like, oh am I allowed to be with these kind of try kind of fit in with these people, and then just the freedom, like almost in a I think of me as Zaki, this idea of like you're on the board and you're you're skating, and it's like everything is safe, everything is perfect, everything is fine.
Speaker 2: It hits that amazing. Yeah, I think you missed this because we were talking about your title. Quest is a short film included on the Phase four release over in the UK, and dug Up then found that Quest was newly restored an HD for that release.
Speaker 3: Well, see, so it's ready to go.
Speaker 2: But it is probably region lock to reagion.
Speaker 3: B Okay, Yeah, but I mean I don't know how this works. I'm just saying, like, if there's a new restoration and it could be paired with some of the other shorts, this could be really neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be a really fun idea. And not to mention that the history of his I don't know, like ability to craft something like you said, iconic without using the the overused version of that word. Yeah, to make it something that is so striking that it digs into you. Just the history on that could be very very cool. Cool.
Speaker 3: Patty Boy has picks for me made in Heaven, the thing called Love. They all laughed, Blind Shaft, Bubble and Schizopholis two Soda Borks. I do love soda work.
Speaker 2: Bubble could be really cool for you.
Speaker 3: How do you top the original art?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: Soda Birks posters are great. You know, Kellor House did a lot of them. He's always doing interesting posters.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that is such a cool idea. Got BOGDANOVICHA that'd be fun. What's your favorite soda brig then.
Speaker 3: Gut gut feeling gut goes right to the Ocean's eleven.
Speaker 2: Nice? Nice I mean it's just perfect, right, It's a very very fun movie.
Speaker 3: I love his his you know, slower Arts, you know, I love you know Traffic and Solara. I love the Solaris remake, but yeah, probably Oceans. Love him.
Speaker 2: Did you ever see Aaron Brockovich that he did? Yeah? Great, So when we were talking before we went live, Aaron Brockovich was set about ten minutes from where I grew up. I know, I know people that were affected by the whole.
Speaker 3: Real Okay, okay, yeah we watched that recently because my wife hadn't seen it, and yeah, there was a great one he made recently. I've really I have to say, I hope he's not watching this. He hasn't wowed me in a while since he came back and started making films like all the time. Only one of them really really hit for me, which was called Let Them All Talk. It was a Meryl Street film and not many people saw it, so it went right to Max had never even got theatricals. I think it was during COVID. I love that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you did that right after Kimmy and Kimmy like overshadowed that one. Yeah, good stuff. So one of the last things I wanted to ask for people that are you know, interested in hearing your responses to all this tonight. Who are some graphic designers that you love? Who are some other artists that you admire right now? Active people that every time you see something they put out, you go, damn, that's inspiring.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, so many. I mean, like I said, Adam might have who just did the phase he did that Phase four that we were just talking about. Adam's great man, uh Drew sister Hyde. My friend Brandon Schaeffer, who I did the Poster Boys podcast with. We did that for a few years, maybe four years or so. We did a graphic design podcast that's still out there if you want to listen to me talk about poster design and different luminaries from film posters throughout the decades. And Brand is just a workhorse man. He's he always does nice things. And Akiko is a friend of a. Keiko Sternberger. I will brag every day that she is a friend of mine because she is the most talented poster designer in the game, just period. Like she she paints, so like she She did the Funny Games US theatrical poster that close up of Naomi Watts crying and that is a painting, so she's capable of doing these photo realistic paintings, but also just like great concepts that are like funny, you know. So definitely followed doy rivetive on on Instagram. And there's now a book out of a Kiko's work called The Kiko Matic that I would highly recommend. So yeah, those are a few that come to mind, you know, But I mean, I really am more. I'm not the saying more. There's a lot of great people doing work right now, of course, but I really just my biggest inspirations are, you know, stuff from the past, the Polish grades, the Cuban poster artists. Hans Hillman is a German designer. If you want to like discover someone, Hans Hillman. He he did all these German posters that actually ended up long story short, inspiring Jani's films to make some of their first posters, including that one for Donkey Skin, which then led to Criterion. And there was a whole history, you know, as you kind of retrace the steps of graphic design history, which is still young as an academic field, but you're learning about more of these important people that we're doing it and in these like idealistic conditions where they could just do whatever they want for a poster and they don't have an email of twenty people on it all chiming in, or you know, they don't have to use contractual obligations for actors and things like this. But yeah, I just love I love poster design history and modern modern history.
Speaker 2: Have there been any projects that you've had I we'll say, restrictions put on you that you've not enjoyed, because I'm sure that this is one thing that a lot of people worry about. Like, you just did a cinematograph title, and last year one of the biggest complaints was Little Darlings the title they put out that they didn't get permission to use the likeness and so a lot of people didn't love that they couldn't see the faces and they made a choice scatter that looks like brown and could have been a little bit better. But anything like that that is tough for you to work around.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we'll see I always have the I have the other perspective on that one, which is like I never even thought twice about that. I was like, that's a cool cover and now that makes sense to me that that's why they did it that way. And I would always say, and it's totally okay if you didn't like that cover. But there's always a reason for something, you know, Like people love to just whatever armchair quarterback graphic design. They love to say, but stupid, why do they do this? Why do they do that? And there's usually a reason, And it's sometimes these contract things. You did the best with what you can't and with the time, the budget, the brief, the restrictions there. Yeah, I've been pretty lucky, Like there haven't been a lot of things I've worked on that have had strict contractual stuff. But the cinematograph one I did for the Last of the Red Hot Lovers, that was hard because if you see that cover I did, I actually have one right here.
Speaker 2: I can show you other current titles that Sam has worked on, a tail of Star and Sadness from Radiance them Rock from Radiance is also another one that you just did.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's an insane film, Like if that if them Rock is not on your radar, players don't radar now, like trust me, So this one last of the Red how Levers. You see how much writing is on this. This is all because it had to be that way. I had to come up with a solution that was just like, fits so much stuff, and I know it's a scribbly mess, but I was just like, it's just going to be a scribbly mess. It's going to be a tic tac toe with litprints and he makes notes on napkins in the movie, so I was like it could maybe feel like that. And so yeah, Arkin had to be literally seventy of the title size, and then the three actresses had to be the same height. And this is how in the this goes back to a contract from the original poster. You still have to honor where you know, the actors have these clauses and their name have to appear equally. So the of these actresses have to appear as the same size as Alan Arkin, and so already there that's so much. And then everything else had to be at this size too and had to be included. So basically you're looking at a poster that's all text. Yeah, you know, unless you go real small with it, but then you can't see what it's saying because it's so that was tricky, and then actually I'm doing another cinematograph. I think you alluded to it, but it's not been announced yet. Did you say you have one coming?
Speaker 2: Uh No, that's the one that I've ordered that I have not got yet.
Speaker 3: This is the one. Okay, So there's another one coming that I did for Justin it'll be announced soon. And that one had an actor likeness situation where we could not get approval on one of the likenesses ultimately, and I had to change something about it. It was minor, but you know, I try to. That's one of the nice things about just coming up like conceptual covers. You don't have to worry as much about actors. But yeah, no, if you're doing like real movie posters for big agencies and big studios, which I don't, I can't compete with the big agencies that you saw one hundred poster concepts for, you know, whatever, big movie. But then you're dealing with a lot more of those restrictions. But it's always it's fun to have restrictions, restrict like the five instructions. You know, it creates creativity. You know, if you have no limitations, then then you're just making five avatar movies for the next twenty years. That's not interesting. Sorry to throw shots fire, but that's not interesting at all. You have no, you've lost all sense of creative restriction. That's not interesting. What's interesting is you making the Abyss when you did.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 3: So sorry I had to go off there for a second.
Speaker 2: I completely agree, and I love that. You know, the abys comes out in nineteen eighty nine and a year of aquatic horror things that just it all struck it is and it makes it just just this unique like subculture of film at that moment.
Speaker 3: Speaking of nineteen eighty nine, I'm going to shout back to something I mentioned earlier. I found for you my steel case CD of The Prince Batman soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, the only thing I wish I had is the bat Discman from Batman Returns, so that I could use this in that. But it is a cool special edition of the Prince. This movie was pretty formative for me, you know, eight years old, nine years old. Yeah, this is cool because it's a round booklet. Oh no, and it's just got the regular soundtrack in there. But it's a cool disc.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you're a Batman eighty nine fan, this is a nice little eBay thing you can look.
Speaker 2: For very nice. I love the black on the outside too, and they didn't put the yellow on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's that's really real. Any any Criterion cover art that you look at that wasn't you and it isn't an original poster that you go Damn, I wish I'd designed that.
Speaker 3: Oh so many. We did a whole Poster Boys episode on that so got out in the where to begin honestly, gees, I mean any of the keller House stuff. Neil Kellerhouse and his company. A couple other designers were involved in some of them, but they did some great ones that really got me into Criteria, like walk About. Um gosh, I'm trying to think. There's so many. Jay Shaw, who I love, is a friend and he's one of my favorite designers. He's not doing much anymore, but he did all. He had a period of Mondo stuff and Jayshaw did Repo. Man. I thought that's a great one. I was like, I wish I had done that or thought of that, or been able to do that. Oh god, there's so many, mad but we did. We did a Posterboice episode of Top Top ten Criterion covers and so if you want to find out on Spotify, I do go through my ten favorites nice, so you guys can check that out.
Speaker 2: For further One more, I wanted to shout out, that's amazing your print for Kumiko h Y is a friend of mine. He swears by this movie. It's like one of his favorite films from the last twenty years or art perfectly captured so much about that film, how it's just easy to get lost in essentially kind of like the film. That's cool, beautiful colors. Really like what you did with the incredible choices.
Speaker 3: Thank you. We Yeah, they just reused it last year for the ten anniversary and the original piece we It is a screenprint and it is a twenty four thirty six ten color silkscreen, which is it's pretty rare for me design something that has that many layers of color, and it's expensive to make a print that's that complex. But yeah, I've got some in my flatfall. I might have to get your address.
Speaker 2: I participate a lot, and I don't know if you know many people that do this. There are Facebook groups dedicated to screenprint commissions and I have I don't know, probably fifteen here, which is a lot cool. Just you join a group and there's usually less than fifty people that are literally privately commissioning an artists to come up with a design. And some of the best silk screen print designs are coming from these random ass groups. And then you see the art used in other places for years to come because it becomes so great, Like Graham Humphreys is doing stuff in some of these groups, suspirit it. There's so much that's just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've never like I've never really kind of entered that world, like with Mondo. I never did any Mondo things. Yeah, they never asked me, which is fine. I mean it would have been it would have been cool. But you know, I never became like a screen prints artist that people collect although you know, the house poster is you know, like I said, like kind of my my one famous thing that you know, if I were to do one more addition, I probably will, but it'll be a large addition.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I know that that print will sell and people will want it, but most print collectors like don't know who I am, you know, just because I haven't done any Mondo and you just don't you gotta do Mondo or else. No one knows who you are, but those commissions are cool and branded. My co host I mentioned he does he does some of those.
Speaker 2: I wanted to up one last thing and this is not meant to end on a negative or anything, but fucking Ai Sam. We we probably should talk about this because man, the the the tendency lately to see cover art on a release that is quote bad in somebody's mind, and the first thing they say, this is AI because it's bad. Uh, how do we how do we get out of this point? How do we scrutinize these things in a way that is meaningful to the artist and respectful to the artists without accusing people? And how do we keep this filled with integrity? God?
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, that's such a big question, and it's just it's all about visual literacy and truth. It's if you've been following what's been happening culturally in this country for the last twenty years, there's a and it's the Internet's fault, and it's you know, certain influential Without getting into politics, it's just like we've lost the ability to even discern what is or even regulate the idea of discerning what is real. And so the bigger problem is not DVDs and Blu rays. It's that it's you can't even look at a photo anymore until I mean, people like me can kind of still tell. But you're gonna have deep fakes of all kinds of stuff that's going to cause major world problems, I guarantee you. So when it comes to Blu ray, it's like it's less of you know, it's less significance. But you're right that, I mean, gosh, I always try to encourage people to just stay informed. You can't expect the average person to, especially at the rate AI is progressing and Generative Imagery is progressing with with mid Journey and now chat GPT kind of catching up to mid Journey. I've really tried to stay informed about it myself. I am not a black or white person on this. I think that everything you do, if something's inevitably happening, then go ahead and figure out how you can use it as a tool and evolve might as well. And then I always you can always not use it, but good to like know what's going on. But god, it's just it is hard to tell. It's a lot of the it's the devil in the details. Usually with like even spotting AI. It's not what you asked me. You asked me how to defend a real artist from being accused of AI? And I don't know. I just think that, Yeah, I don't know about that one. I would just I would just say it speaks to the lack of thorough critical thinking in our visual culture, and.
Speaker 2: There a vi lack of media literacy across research.
Speaker 3: In general, not just visual but reading information, truth, all of it. The people who want to be literate in these areas will and most people find that it's a lot of people find that it's easy just to to coast and accept the reality they're presented. And I don't know, Man, what do you do? I don't know, rewind twenty twenty five years and do things differently. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's an odd time, it's ad time.
Speaker 3: But I I've used AI and I'm against AI in general as like as a as a harmful kind of resource. But it is being used. You know, I don't eat a lot of meat. I don't really eat meat. But people are not going to start eating meat, stop eating me on the entire planet, even though I think it is great to be vegan, and I'm trying, and my wife's vegan, and like I can't, I can't expect the whole world to do it, So I can't expect a there's not going to just be an end to AI imagery. So it's here. Understand it. Know that in a year from now it's going to be even more impossible and complicated. I personally believe it's it's always about what you do with the tools, just like synthesizers did not put trumpet players out of work or string musicians out of work. And I've used generative imagery. I mean, I'm not afraid to say this, I've used generative imagery in recent jobs. But I use it in a way that is a means to an end, and I will bring my human touch to that and use it as a tool to help me achieve something more easily or in a way that I could otherwise do. But just creating generative imagery of you yourself as an action figure and posting on Instagram, you're really you're not really practicing what you preach all the Miyazaki form, Yeah, and I try to see all angles of that too. It's like bless everyone's heart. They just love Ghibli and they want to see their dog as Ghibli. They don't mean to be, you know, pushing us further into the brink of apocalypse.
Speaker 2: They just.
Speaker 3: So you know, humans are endearing that way. Yeah, but you know, like the good thing is in the in the with our interests. I mean, I don't think AI is going to replace any of these, you know, blue ray car. I mean no, I don't even see a company if someone made like an all AI generated Blu ray cover. I mean they've come close, Like those Civil War posters were or whack, but that was only because people spotted the errors. And that was what almost two years ago now, and those still those errors don't exist anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I still believe art's gonna and humans will will thrive.
Speaker 2: And see that's that's to me. Like you know, similar in the chat is talking about how musicians use stuff like that to to tweak and fix small things, and that's why you know, the like some of the classic songs from history, there are actual human errors that you can hear in those things that give it that taste character that are just amazing to hold on to. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the chat is really more active on this than I've seen all night. And it's true, oh flickering waves, William mentioning a album cover I just did by William Tyler. If you love instrumental music, definitely check that out. But yeah, photoshop, yeah, exactly, Photoshop has already been using I mean, the whole thing with the brutalists and everyone going on this high horse about the vocal stuff. Like, guys, you can't like I'm not gonna throw Avatar under the bus again, But computers have been computers have been helping achieve things forever, like.
Speaker 2: Since they existed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like, yeah, just uh, informing yourself critical thinking.
Speaker 2: Are good. I don't think anybody in the chat would do it. But the amount of times that we're seeing people on social media specifically to say I don't like this cover art, it is bad. Therefore it was probably done by AI.
Speaker 3: See I haven't seen a lot of that.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of reductive reasoning and it makes zero sense whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and I again I'm trying to look for the silver lining. At least it's showing that people don't want AI, right, Ah, it's misapplied, And yeah, we don't want to hurt artists feelings. I've seen a lot of artists get ripped off or some AI does happen to look like someone's art. But I have to hope that people are being There is like a certain watchdog mentality about AI that if you're not like an AI bro, you're pretty much kind of like we agree, like on just basic common sense principle that you know, we don't want to make AI make art. No AI is supposed to help us do all this crap we don't want to do, not make art. Making art is the only thing that humans do that other animals don't. I mean, okay, it's of course I think other animals do make art birdhouse, you know, bird nests or whatever. But you see what I'm saying. It's like it's it's the human spirit, and it's it's always going to be there.
Speaker 2: I agree. Fun way to end it. I guess, Sam, this has been amazing. Anything that you want to share with the people that you've worked on recently that you've announced that you can't.
Speaker 3: Well, I have announced the Obayashi projects.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: We probably should have led with that I'm doing for Obayashi titles. Hopefully as long as the plan goes in place. Uh, Cult Epics is releasing them on us Blu Ray. I got in touch with Cult Epics what I heard about the news, and I just offered my services and it's working out this way. So I can't say which one is first, but the first one's wrap will be announced soon. I'm excited, you know, is amazing. So I'm excited to nothing. I can't make covers that are as good as House, It's not gonna be as good as House, but I'm excited to do those, So look out for those for sure. Follow my socials, Follow Cult Epics.
Speaker 2: These are four beautiful movies. Yes, they're gonna be some really fun releases of these.
Speaker 3: Definitely fan favorites for the last twenty years, almost twenty years since House hit the hit the scene. So yeah, that's coming up. Like I said, a couple of things I can't talk about yet, but yeah, Brimstone and Treacle, them, Rock, Love Crime all in all available now too. They're all they're not no, no, those are well. Red Hot Lovers is out. Others you can pre order at Vincent and Radiance. So yeah, you'll follow a my socials to see some blue reism working on it. It's cool to be part of some of the boutiques right now. I don't know if I'll be doing them forever, and I'm just kind of like, like I said, I might pivot into some different things. I love doing album art, I love doing illustrations for all sorts of things. Got a game coming, got it, hopefully got this game coming, so stay tuned excited for that.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, thanks for hanging out to that. As usual, my pitch. If you want to continue conversations like this, join the Patreon the link in the description below. We got a discord associated with the community. We'd love to have you the discord. We would love to see some background on the art in there. They would, they would, They would be all over that, I promise. Other than that's come back next week. It's going to be a another fun conversation. We got some stuff that I believe is getting announced this week that is going to be a fun one. John Daly, who is Rock Hudson Online video editor. He is somebody that I work with on stuff for tear Vision and some other stuff, will be the guests again next week, so come check that out. It will be a good time. Sam, You're incredible. I hope we can do this again.
Speaker 3: Thanks Ryan, it's so awesome to me you and connects and yeah, I'm game to do it again and follow I'll be following the show. Thanks for everything you're doing. Man, you're like a major figurehead in this community, just in terms of the services you're the give, the giving nature of everything you're doing. I think it's it's awesome. And you have a damn great voice. Well, I mean yeah, I'm sure that's how you got into No. No, I mean people have told you that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I've only been told that once ever in my life.
Speaker 3: My square I what I chat back me up chat is that you are made for, say radio, They would say.
Speaker 2: When when I grew up, my first job was at Carl's Junior in California, and I had a car full of like forty year old women that pulled up and said, can you give us directions the highway? And I'm like, it's right there, you can see it. They're like, no, just tell us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that voice. Yeah, we see all next Thursday. Be safe, it's Easter Sunday. Have a good, safe Easter and we'll talk soon. Thank you for watching The Disconnected on the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this. Tell me.
Speaker 4: No, Hey, This is Jason Kleeberg from The Force five podcast, a show that forces a guest to come up with a movie themed top five list topic and then we reveal our picks on air. Top five heist films, top five tier Jerkers, top five movie dogs. Every show you'll be asking yourself what would be on my list. Guests include directors, screenwriters, actors, podcasters, musicians, authors, and even a professional wrestler. Subscribe to the Force five podcast and you won't just be a listener, you'll be a listen nerd. The Force five podcast available wherever you are listening now.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description