Speaker 1: Welcome back to EVE Sports Radio. Yes it is.
Speaker 2: We're live.
Speaker 1: It is May the twenty eighth, twenty twenty five, and I'm in Greenville, South Carolina, Quaine City. That's all I can say. The weather's quite different. Usually it's seventy five to eighty five and short sleeves and short pants weather. And I landed yesterday Miss Gwenn Blackbirdy and I and it was fifty two degrees and I think they say right now it's forty nine outside and raining, So quite different scenery than I'm used to when I come here for our conference meeting. Everyone knows that the SEC is having its conference meetings going on right now, which we'll get into. But I'm also experiencing our conference meeting the NCCAA, and I'll be here until Friday. So welcome back to E Sports Radio. Yes it is Wednesday. We all know that is hump Day. I hope everyone had a tremendous Memorial Day holiday Friday. We listened to a little clip. A lot of people have given a lot from a Memorial Day. It's one of the most important holidays in my opinion. So again, I hope you all had a great time. Now let me introduce my co host, one and only, Anthony Eves andthy Welcome to the show. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fantastic. How are you doing down there in Greenville, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna tell you what. We'll get to that. We're gonna get to that. But let me just finish this. This is EVE Sports Radio phone numbers five zero, two, five, seven, seventy nine hundred. It's Sports Talk seven ninety. Of course that's KRD. We've got shedding behind the glass and we're ready to rock and roll. So Anthony, let's just everyone knows. I have to tell them about my travel escapades. Everyone is traveled, most people have traveled, and most people have flown. So Anthony, here we go. I leave yesterday morning, no problem. Get to the airport. Look at my flight. It's delayed. Okay, no problem. I've got a to hour window in Atlanta to get to my connecting flight, so I'm not too concerned. It's the late fifteen minutes, no problems. The late thirty minutes, no problem. It's the late forty five minutes, and we're starting to have a problem. It's the late fifty minutes. We're going to have a problem. By the time we get on the plane at Louisvie and take off. Of course, Miss Gwyn Blackburn and I we miss our connection, that's all, Anthony. We miss our connection in Atlanta, so we have to go to one of the help desk. Of course, boom boom, no long lines. Quickly I went to the delta room and was going. We went with me and I ate good set around. It was fine, Anthony. We get on our flight from Atlanta to Greenville, South Carolina. Truly, you all at thirty five to forty minute flight backs. We sat on the tarmac longer than the flight. It's raining, like you know what, Anthony, I mean. This weather is awful. I mean awful. So we taxi out and we're the fourth plane from taking off. The pilot comes on and says, we're gonna hold right here because the weather's so bad they've shut down the airport. No problem by me. I have no problem with staying on the ground, guys, nothing whatsoever. So of course I start watching movies on the plane and just different things. We sit there and the pilot comes back on. It'll be another fifteen minutes. The pilot comes back on, it'll be another fifteen minutes. And this is all airlines, is just I Delta guys. They shut down Atlanta's airport. That's all airlines. So next thing you know, I pass out, fall asleep like I do, Anthony. All of a sudden, I feel this flying. I'm like, okay, good, next thing I know, and I sleep through everything, Anthony. I mean honestly, I thought the plane was gonna turn upside down, Anthony. I've flown for sixty six I think my first flight was at thirteen West until flew me to Baltimore, Maryland to his basketball camp. I was a counselor, thirteen or fourteen years old. And if the nc of Kentucky High School Sports Association would have known it, Anthony, I'd have been ineligible because Western self paid me. That's the truth. But too late now, any too late now, brother, But Wes paid me. I went up and I was a counselor and I played against the kids from Maryland. I had a ball. But that was my first flight. I'll never forget. I put a suit on, Anthony, and a time my dad would not let me try. I had a suit and tie on. So I've been doing this a long time. Fifty two or three or four years. I've been flying regularly, I mean all the time, and it was the worst thirty minutes I've ever endured in my life. I didn't think we're gonna make it. I said, it's going to end going to the NCCAA in Greenville, South Carolina. For me, I said, no way. And I mean it was that bad, duo, Anthony. I thought the plane was going to turn upside down. We were bouncing and knocking you to thought people were throwing I mean haymakers straight on the jaw. I'd never felt any turbulence like yesterday, Anthony. That plane just kept rising rising the next thing, you know, once we got out of it, clear smooth, three or four five minutes later, I think we're just sending to come in to Greenville, South Carolina. And we landed. I'm telling you, I was almost Anthony like the Gladiator movie. I was getting ready to get down and just kiss the ground when we walked off. I'm not kidding, Anthony. I wanted to bend over and kiss the carbon in the airport. Thank you Lord. That's no joke, guys. It was just that bad. So anyway, I'm here shaken, not stirred like James Bond, just shaking but not stirred. So that was my trip yesterday at Greenville, South Carolina. I'm hoping that the trip back will not be as bad. But and I know you've had You've traveled quite a bit. You played at Chicago State and you all went to the West coast for probably half of your games in your conference. So all this crying that we heard from me Cronan A schools had been doing it for forever. But you know, Cronan was crying, now we have to go east with EU c l A too often. So he dropped out of one of the games. Kentucky ended up picking up Saint John's and coach Matino. But anyway, tell me about your experience flying. Tell me about a bad experience, Anthony ed any.
Speaker 3: Honestly, throughout college, I didn't. I didn't have any bad flight experiences. Sometimes it'd be long, there'd be longer try longer flights, the longer days in the airport, catching buses. When you land, shoot arounds, the days would be long. You know, they could be from anywhere from four thirty five o'clock in the morning until ten o'clock at night and it's just kind of how sometimes. But no, no, turbles was never really bad. We never I don't think we have really had any delayed flights. We never missed flights, never got canceled. Oh you're so you never had We never had a cancel flight.
Speaker 1: Well, all I'm gonna tell you one thing is James Bond said, shake, get not stirred. I was both yesterday and I came off. I'm telling you, I wanted to grab ground and gravel like the Gladiator. I'm telling you I was like, boy, I'm so glad I'm walking. Oh it was bad. So anyway, we've got a lot to get to you at seven thirteen, we've got a lot is transpired the NBA. Of course we're gonna dig into that first. Antney. I even have to slap myself because I'm critical of Halliburton because he can't always go get forty. You know, he's not shake Gildis Alexander. He just can't. You know, He's not the Michael Jordan Kobe Bryant that I'm used to putting up on a pedestal. I've always knocked him, but dang it, the boys really good, Anthony. I'm gonna stop. Halliburton is really good. I watched him last night. He is really good. He's just more of a point guard, and for some reason, as a point guard in the NBA, I should have been given him more credit, Anthony, because he is a true he is a point guard. He can score it, but that's not his attribute. He's not a super athlete. He's not dunking on you, Anthony. He just wants to run teams and he did an excellent job last night. What's your opinion of Tyre's Halliburton. What do you think as a triple double last night?
Speaker 3: His game is unorthodox. I'll put it like that. It's not the normal what you see most superstar in All Star players play, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just some people don't like it because he's not technically a one on one style player exactly. He's better in an efficient offense. He's good with the pacers and how their play style is because they're even across the board. That's one of the reasons why he didn't play on the Olympic team in the USA, because he's not a one on one player. You can't put him out there and just make a move on a bunch of different European teams and blow by him and dunk on him. Every other player to shoot threes in your face because he just doesn't do that. He doesn't that just going out there and making his own move. He doesn't do it much on the Pacers. He has a lot more confidence and flexibility under Greg Carlisle. So who'll go out there and shoots step back three? He's fading away after he's hit a couple of league gets flowing. He gets the offense to go on the team's hot. They have a crowd fan based that's energetic and kind of booster the morale. Then you'll see Tyres Halliburton start to explode more as a player. But he is efficient. The one thing I will say is even other players have said he's a fun all start to play with because he's not selfish and he wants others to score the ball as well. You can see it throughout.
Speaker 1: He said that he's doing a straight jab at Leonard. When he was talking about playing with Indiana. We all know Pascal one one with Toronto. He says, playing with Indiana is like a breath of fresh air. Anthony, he says, without a doubt. We're all just play and he had been playing with Leonard, which we all know he's a douggie downer without a doubt. But Anthony, he just playoffs. Fourteen games, thirty five minutes a game, nineteen points a game. Anthony got me. He is. He is efficient. He's not going to score tons of points. Again. He's a thirty three percent, almost thirty four percent three point shooter. He has a forty seven percent two point shooter, Anthony, which is a very good statistic for today's era. He's an eighty percent free throat shooter. Anthony. He is just a true point guard. And everyone always we just want Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. We do, I do, But after last night, I loved Indiana's up tempo Anthony. The Utah Jazz in my era there played the exact same way. We averaged one hundred and twenty points a game. We wanted to be up and down once the team scored it. We wanted the ball in bounds and up the floor in four seconds looking to score it, and when they missed it, we wanted to even be quicker than that. Frank Layton wanted up tempo and you're getting a chance to see that Indiana was running that floor yesterday, and I mean it was a fun game tour, just different than walk it up and watch somebody play one on one. I mean, that's just the bottom line. Now. I'm not saying the series is over, Anthony. I'm not saying the Knicks are dead. They're on a respirator, doesn't look good, but I'm not saying they're dead. I think that the Knicks will win the next game, Game five, make it three to two, and then it puts the pressure on the Pacers to win game six. So this is still going to be a very good series. It really is. And Anthony a person that we had given a hard time to you and I not on the radio, but car Anthony Towns, he even taking the ball to the basket now and he's playing really well. I mean he took over not last night's game of the game before Car Anthony Towns took it over. So there's just a lot of good sports going on right now, a lot of good players emerging. I think that people don't want to give credit to but a last night's game, boy, it just reminded me of the jazz the Pacers got up and down. Now for old old sports fans in the city of Louisville, everyone remembers fifty years ago Kentucky Colonels defeated the Indiana Pacers in the ABA Championship. And now I'm watching I watched Rick Smith's Pacers, Isaiah Thomas coaching, and I coached against the Larry Bird Pacers. I've watched them all now, the Rick Carlile Pacers, the Larry Brown Pacers that have been in the NBA reaching Eastern Conference Finals, the Reggie Miller choke artist with Spike Lee, and all I can say, and you weren't even born, but here I am in the city of Louisville. I'd love to have an NBA team, but we don't. We do not. And the Pacers, I want people to understand. Fifty years ago they were going around fundraising, I mean, asking for people for dollars for Nichols to get into the NBA. But they had the foresight to understand and did not. My city, Louisville. I just want everyone to know what we're watching on TV with the Pacers. We should be watching on television in the city of Louisville, but we're not. Our leadership has been so bad for so long it's just not worthy of speaking about. And guys, the sports entertainment business is a taxable business that helps your community. Everyone gets so hung up, Anthony, and what the athletes make, who cares you tax them good? But the coaches make, who care taxable dollars? Anthony, arenas oh businesses that thrive off of those businesses, Anthony. Our leadership has been so bad and people hate for me to go back. And I'm talking to you, Anthony about community leaders Today they called me up and said, Jerry, get over it. Water under the bridge. It is. But I still can't believe that I watched the Indianapolis five hundred and the very same day an NBA playoff game. So I want people to think before we go to break, when you'd love to add the Kentucky derby at five point thirty six and then a Kentucky Colonel's game at eight o'clock on national TV in the playoffs. It should have happened. It could have happened twice, and our community turned its nose to it twice billions of dollars, not millions, billions of taxable dollars. So every time I watch the Pacers. I'm telling you every time I watched them Indie, I watched the Indianapolis five hundred and all they said is and tonight the Pacers are going to be playing a playoff game in the eat CERN Conference semifinals. It just made me go. Made the hair on my head, which I don't have any stand up. So when we get back, we're gonna talk a little bit about OKAC seven twenty one Anthony. Then we're gonna get into this college football spectrum because Anthony, times are changing quickly and the SEC and the Big Ten are trying to change the page on all these other colleges. They better hurry up and keep up. It's E Sports Radio, which means we need good leadership in the ACC with our athletic directors and our presidents E Sports Radio. We'll talk to you in a minute. Welcome back to E Sports Radio. Seven twenty five. I did kiss the ground. Yes, people were saying, yes, I did. I should have kissed it twice. That playing flight was frightening. That's all there is to it. You can say what you want when you have no control, and you know everyone says have a safe trip. I'm like, tell the pilots have a safe trip. I've got nothing to do with it. I'm doing this sleepy pile. Is that excellent job brought us in? Thank you Lord. Anyway, welcome back to the sports radio from numbers five, zero, two, five, seven, seventy nine hundred. I know everyone's had well. Anthony has flown quite a bit. You're fortunate at Anthony. I mean, I've had some scary ones. I really have. So let's get to us. Anthony. We haven't spoke. Maybe you and George did, but I haven't spoke much about shake Yielding's Alexander MVP. Without a doubt, Anthony has been improving every season in the NBA. George Williams did hit this one on the head. He did. He hit the nail on the head. He did. He said that kid's gonna be really good. When he played in the McDonald's game, your mother was there, Frank, you weren't there. You were still at Chicago State. But your brother and I and your mom were there. We watched him play. I said, he is good. It was one of the lower rated Kentucky players coming in at the time, but we all know that Kentucky was always getting you know, three of the top ten players in the country, but ends up taking a certain job after about five or six games, Anthony, and that was It's been history since then. I love him. He's the best mid range player I've seen in a long long time. His strength is not his three point shot. He doesn't shoot a ton of him, Anthony. I wasn't a three point shooter. I taught you and Frankie to shoot. But he still does more than adequate job at that. But that boy is efficient. So in the playoffs when it matters MVP, he's playing thirty six minutes a game after twenty nine point five points a game, Anthony shooting forty seven percent from the field. He's struggling from the three point line in the playoffs at twenty eight point nine, but he's shooting forty seven where he lives, and he's shooting eighty five point three percent at the free throw line. Other piece I love about him, Manthony. He will defend okse guard They really do? They guard you? I mean Edwards. People are giving him a hard time, even myself, Anthony, Okay, see guards you. That's all there is to it. They have a college concept. They abide by it. They make you shoot jump shots, they can test you. They rebound the ball and they run it down your throat. But Shake Gildicks, I mean got Lee MVP and and I see him terrorizing the league for about five years. I really do. I see him getting nothing but better as he's continuing to mature with the game. And I all players kind of you've seen them. They'll ask for a call here or there. But his gestures, his mannerisms with Shake gildis Alexander, how he carries himself even with his frustrations and guys, I want everybody to know it's an emotional game. And yes there were times when I played, I was upset in playoff games, Anthony, to where I was upset, I was, you know, I wasn't composed. Everybody, you should be composed. You're the point guard. I don't hear on that until you really compete at a real game. There's moments that you're not. But he still does a great job of handling his emotions. I just love the way he plays, Anthony. I think Anthony, if OKC can add just the right player in this draft, and we know they'll be between twenty and thirty. But there are a lot of sleepers out there, they can recruit, find the right player to help. I would say, rebound the ball, help with defensive presence. I love Chad what he's doing, Hobrid what he's doing, but that body of his I'm always nervous that he could get injured at any moment. Anthony, They've got a great group of guys to where they can make a run at this thing. I've always picked Oka See. I'm staying oka See. What do you think? What do you think does Oka See win this thing? Do they finish it tonight? First thing? Do they finish it at home?
Speaker 3: We'll finish it at home. The only controversy I say to the okac Thunder is that majority of their team is on rookie or very low contracts. And when I say that is him, obviously you know Sga will resign, the will probably want to resign Jaylen Williams. But those other key role players that everybody's like, oh, okay see, it will be the best team for the next five years, they won't because they have to pay them. Okay everybody, okay, okay See. Is not a big market team. We already know that they don't play a lot of the players even the players that they had in recent history, like all we can even go back to the James hard and Kem Durant, Russell Westbrook. They were all younger in their careers. They weren't on super Max contracts. Chet Holmgrom is gonna be a twenty five million dollar guy, Jaylen Willams gonna be a thirty million dollar guy. Sga is gonna be forty million.
Speaker 2: Even if role.
Speaker 3: Players like Crusoe, Case Wallace, Isaiah Joe, Isaiah Hartenstein. You have to pay all of them, and even the new guys coming in, they are gonna be on the rookie contract. You can keep them awhile, that's why the draft is so important for them. But you can't say from four years from now, every guy on that team, in the way that the NBA market works so far, in their starting lineup, everybody on that team is worth twenty million dollars at least, okay, even at least at least.
Speaker 1: And Alexander Shay's gonna make sixty million, You're one hundred percent he's gonna make sixty million. You're right. They can't pay him sixty which they're going to Chad Hogren. They'll pay fifty five after that, Anthony, You're right, they're gonna lose Williams or they're gonna lose Wiggins, I mean Cason Wallace as he continues, and that boy's improving. I mean, you're right. At There's it's really difficult for that level market to pay with there because and they've done They've done a great job of drafting. So they're gonna have to continue because you're right, they're gonna get cherry picked. People are going to pull from their roster. I was saying that they could be great. They're gonna keep Shae for five years, but to keep that nucleus around him, he's gonna be a little bit more difficult, Anthony, unless unless the players want to play with each other and see that they've got a chance to win multiple championships, is there? Only that's the only saving Grace Fro.
Speaker 3: That ain't happening. Only only player has done in the last twenty years is taking a pay cut of Jalen Brothers. And you see how that's working out for him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, he's a great player. But you're right, he did give to the Knicks. I agree, I mean, and they're in it. The Knicks losing.
Speaker 3: The five games Indiana Pacers, if you were being seas.
Speaker 1: Best, I can't. It's not my fault at.
Speaker 3: The beginning, at the beginning of the year, even midway.
Speaker 1: Through the season, calves folded.
Speaker 3: And in fact, I can keep pushing it back, even for even when the playoffs started, you would have never been like I would not have would be a three one on the Knicks.
Speaker 1: Anthony, I said, Okay, see, Cleveland Cavaliers, the Calves folded on me. Had a few injuries, but they still folded. I don't in playoff time, Anthony, you have to win. I say that for football, I say that for basketball. I say that in college. They folded. So I picked Okay, see, I just didn't think Cleveland. I never picked Boston. I didn't expect Boston to get there. Even before the injury. I did not pick Boston. I picked Cleveland. So, yes, you're right, we could have had a Boston Celtics Cleveland Cavaliers. That's what people were expecting to see. But it's not what happened. At that's all. It's just not what has happened. But I still I'm going to start to give Halliburton more credit. Anthony I'm gonna stop knocking that boy. The Pacers played well, they're improving, Anthony, They've got a young nucleus. I like their style of play. I do.
Speaker 3: I don't like, but are you gonna be Are you gonna be saying this if they go and play okay, see and they losing four or five games five, they're gonna lose him. Are you gonna be giving Halibert in the same credit? Now, let me tell you we're not giving when I give you know, we're not giving Anthony Edwards any credit anywhere. We're saying that, Okay, he has good I'll I.
Speaker 1: Want him to do more, but I'm not killing that man. He's been to Western Conference in my finals twice. Now, I'm not killing that now. Anthony had a friend of mine who said, ant man never wins it, and I said, listen to me, let's just let him have a few. They've been in the finals the last two years. I'm giving him credit for that. And I didn't know. I'm telling you, I got a really close friend of mine that said the exact same thing you said. I know he's not gonna beat Okay, see, they're not. But he has put Minnesota in the Western Conference finals twice, and you know everybody, everybody can't win it. An that's just that means out of all my years playing Anthony, I want you to think about this now, I won a high school championship one time in four years I played four. I won a college championship one time in four years. I went to two final fours. Now, maybe if I played in today's era, i'd played eight years, Ridney McCrae might have got three championships. I might have got two. But Anthony, I was still successful. I didn't win it, but I wouldn't let people tell me I wasn't successful when I wasn't good. I was a competitor. Only one person wins it. So that means out all the time I played Anthony NBA, we won thirty games my first year. My second year at Utah, we went to the semi finals of the Western Conference, and I call that a success. Andy, we were the worst team in the league when I went our second year, we lost at Phoenix Kyle Macy, Walter Davis, Rick Roby and the semi finals. That's when I tore my knee up. So and that's the only problem that when you look at it that way. That means all my other years I wasn't successful, even though I won two. I got a high school chip, I got a college chip, I didn't get an NBA chip. And I mean I was just glad I made it. But I mean simply true fact. So I mean, yes, I want it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I told you I wanted him to shoot it. I said, Anthony Edwards, go lose the game. Anthony, I told you the same thing in the playoffs. You remember you told everybody I met you the locker room. I said, I don't care what happened, shoot the ball. Put it on you to win or lose it. That means you're gonna win. And you went out and made every shot in the second half, didn't you? Do you remember? Tell the truth? Tell the truth.
Speaker 3: You're getting a little from what I was talking about, I know.
Speaker 1: But what I'm telling you is that around the.
Speaker 3: World now, I just said credit.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's in the finals. I gotta give him credit. Rudy, he's in the finals.
Speaker 3: That's not answering my question necessarily. Okay, I'm saying you're giving him credit now because he made it to the finals. I'm talking about what he's saying to do in the finals. I'm saying, if he goes to the finals and we're seeing these good performances now against the New York Knicks, which he is doing. But if he goes there in the finals and he goes places against Oka See, which is supposed to be the defensive team. They shut down a lot players. They have Anthony Edwards, Julius rand Out are scoring six twelve points a night. If you go out there and Halliburn's scoring twelve points, five sists, four rebounds and found out in the fourth quarter, are you gonna say, Halibert, Haliburton is this great point guard. I should have gave him more credit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, here's what I'm gonna say. Here's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're playing against win, it matters emotion, you don't show up.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm not really say this. When I got after Anthony Edwards, he didn't shoot it enough, and I said that when you are the man, and he is the man, Anthony Edwards, Halliburton is also got me, but they're more of a team basis. But Anthony Edwards is the man tonight. If he goes five for thirteen, I'm going to say tomorrow, he didn't put it on his shoulders to go get it. He is the scoring mechanism on that team. He and Randall got me. Anthony Halliburton plays differently, and I say, and he does, and you know that, and I didn't like it. I've always knocked Caliburton, but I'm giving him credit for leading his team because he's done that. But all I'm saying is for tonight's game, all I want to see Antony Edwards is try to put it on your shoulders. I want to see you thirteen for twenty nine forty seven percent. That's fine, but I want to see twenty nine shots. That's your job. That's what he's there to do, Anthony. He's not there to facilitate. He's there to score. So I want to see him try. If he doesn't go in, Anthony, making is not success, just trying. So, yes, Halliburton, I want to see some numbers, but not at the level of scoring as I do with Anthony Edwards. That's all. But you do Alexample.
Speaker 3: Do you know the Pacers record this season when Halliburton scores twenty or more points.
Speaker 1: I do not know. I do not They're.
Speaker 3: Thirty one and four. Okay, So why would you not want to go out here and try to score? Not say you got to shoot twenty seven times a game, but the statistics. We always say if the numbers don't lie. So when he goes out there and he puts the ball in the they win percent of the games. So you can't be like he's a team player and he goes up there is shoes eight shots, has twelve points and they lose by twenty in the first game. O case wa, buddy, I need you to go out there for twenty plus because when you do, we win games.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a hard one to knock. All I know is Nie Smith, Nate Smith, Anthony, your guy hit eight threes. They went on the road.
Speaker 3: My guy, he's.
Speaker 1: No Anthony, Hold up, don't knock him. He guards the mess out of Brunson. Oh that well, he bangs body with Bruns. Brunson is tired of running into that kid. And Anthony he's good. So no, you should take him. He's good and he we're at seven thirty nine. We've got to get the break. It's the sports radio. When we come back, we're going to listen to Kirby. Smart Guys, my opinion the last five or six years, the best coach in college football. He's got to talk about the state of the game. Eaves Sports Radio will talk to you in a minute. Welcome back to Eve Sports Radio, seven forty six. I think it's the twenty eighth. It is the twenty eighth. It's Wednesday. My mind's gone, been gone for a long time. Welcome back to the sports radio. Got my son Anthony. Guys, we're gonna listen to. I think Kirby smart truly. It's not a heart of it's not hard, it's not gonna be a fight. He's one of the best coaches top two or three in the country or college football. And he's talking about the issues. And I want to read this to you before I throw it to shednon. The major theme lingering over the SEC annual meetings this week is an air of uncertainty clouding the future of the sport, the fate of the house versus the NCAA case, the college football playoff format, and the league's football schedule in flux. Kirby thinks the largest issue right now is the transfer portal, and he only wants one of them. So let's listen to Kirby smart for about a minute and thirty. Then Anthony and I.
Speaker 4: Will discuss it understanding when people talk about old school and there are a lot of your fans and fans across college football who just are struggling with this new model. I realize you're struggling with it too as a as a traditional coach, But how is it different dealing with young players who are making what you just alluded to.
Speaker 2: That's not the problem. Pause, it's not the it's not the fact they're making money. It's not that it's not an issue. The issue is.
Speaker 5: The inability to pinpoint what the rules are and what we can do.
Speaker 2: You know, like like nobody's upset.
Speaker 5: About what We're all very thankful players SEC players or should be that they're the most marketable players, they get the most coverage, they get seen on TV. I am so comfortable with that. We're past that point. We just want to know the parameters with which we're playing by and be able to sustain a budget and have other sports survive. I think every coach would take that at this point. There's no old school young school.
Speaker 2: It's none of that.
Speaker 5: We're comfortable paying the players, so are they are?
Speaker 4: They different any different to coach because not because maybe the money, but the fact that you can lose them at the drop of a hat.
Speaker 2: Well, if they're wired the wrong way.
Speaker 5: They're different to coach because if they're leaving because you're coaching them, then.
Speaker 2: You really didn't want them in the first place.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know, so like for me, we're not going to change how we coach, how we develop, and how we grow things. And most kids and parents appreciate that now. Parents always tell me, I really want my son to come play there because I know you're still going to coach them the right way. You're gonna push them, You're going to demand excellence. You're not going to run from the fact that they could leave. That is inevitable. They could leave, but that doesn't make them more successful because they leave.
Speaker 4: We're talking to coach Kirby smart and certainly with your background over in this state, what you're dealing with now is similar in many ways because the expectations for Georgia are almost insufferable. I had a guy called me yesterday. Not that I'm saying that we have the most sensible sample of callers.
Speaker 2: But he has to say it. A bunch of callers, Well they know it.
Speaker 4: He said something like, do you feel like Georgia has swipt? And I said, are you aware that they won the SEC championship last year?
Speaker 2: And I think that's where fans are though right now, Paul, I think you forgot that.
Speaker 4: I did forget that because because I now look at your program as if you don't win the national championship, it feels disappointing. Well, that's a good thing that you do that, because I actually good thing, Thank you, Shennon, And that is a good thing.
Speaker 1: That's where Kirby is taking this program, just like Nick Saban had taken Alabama. If they don't win at Anthony, people seem to think that, ooh, they're unworthy. That's like the year they weren't able to repeat. I still can't believe college football did that to George. I just can't. When they lost in the championship game of the SEC to Alabama and they didn't put them in it was a tragedy. It was just really really blasphemy. But here's the problem. Georgia's football coach, Kirby's smart made it clear, however, that there's one issue of paramount importance to the SEC football coaches clarity in the future. The NCAA transfer portal So the biggest decision that has to be made across football right now to me, and this is Kirby Smart I'm reading for by Far is when the portal window is and when there is one or two? Smart said on Tuesday, we need one. There's one December ninth through twenty eighth, and there's one April sixteenth through twenty fifth, which he wants to change to one, Anthony, which I agree with completely, and he thinks it should be in April. I think it should also be cause of that's when the season, the academic season is over. People have forgotten this bouncing around. I don't know how kids are staying eligible, Anthony, and we'll talk about that tomorrow. But we're gonna just stick with the transfer portal in kids leaving. Do you agree with limiting it to one opportunity per year?
Speaker 3: No, they should. It's just too much bounced around at this point. It is I won't even say it chaotic. It's just it's kind of messing up sports. Even teams like I hate to say it, even some of my own favorite teams like I can't even keep up with the own roster. I don't know who signed, who's technically left. People are putting their name in the draft or not officially declaring keeping college eligibility. It's just there's so much going on. It's it's kind of it doesn't feel like college sports anymore. It just feels like I'm watching like the NBA, like a baby version. And everybody, I hate to say, everybody knows how boring and how annoying the NBA gets into the playoffs. Nobody watches the NBA regular season. This is kind of how I'm feeling about college sports a little bit. It's just like it's it's kind of boring until March madness or it gets to college football playoffs.
Speaker 1: You interesting concept. You sound old, Anthony. I can't believe that you're supposed to say I can keep up with all the movement. You're young, you live. I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't keep up with all.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. It's a lot, Anthony, it's a lot. Now it gives us you and I something to talk about in dead periods, because it is a lot. Guys. Here's problem. I want people to know before we leave today. With the academic calendar, the NCAA and on. One of the pluses that they did do years ago is that kids had to progress toward a degree or they would be ineligible. And universities had to pay for summer school, and they had to find the money so that they kept the kids on progress to degree. And more student athletes graduate at a higher rate than regular students. I want people to know that. Let me say this again, more student athletes graduate at a higher rate than regular students, which is a good thing. Okay, but with all this movement and all this jumping around, one player was at three schools in the same season, which is madness. We're going to get into, which I think I would Coach Stoops, which is for tomorrow, Anthony. My biggest issue is the tampering issue. Not the transfer a portal. I do want to limit it to one, but that tamper issue, which is what we're going to get into tomorrow. I think, like Coach Stoop said, for a guy that has to grow his players and has to go get a high school kid red shirting, work with him, develop him, like coach Stoops has got me and Coach brom had to try to do the same thing at Purdue, Anthony. He had to try to do that at Purdue. He couldn't just recruit with Ohio State and Michigan. He couldn't do that, so he had to try to grow them. And it's very hard. You can look at his record at Louisville very good. His record at Purdue it was hit or miss, because you're trying to grow your program to where you can compete with the big dogs in the SEC Anthony no matter what, and the Big Ten in football, and the big Dogs and basketball now they are, and baseball, which we're going to get into tomorrow with a College Baseball World Series going on, and we're going to have to do something because the grades are going to start to fall. There's no way that every university is taking every kid's great. So I'm explaining this to you, University of Louisville. I've gone for two years, I've passed sixty hours. I'm transferring to Kentucky, the University of Kentucky. I'm telling you, the University of Kentucky is only going to accept thirty six to forty of my hours from the University of Louisville. Oh that's a rival. No, this is every school and the only school that I ever seen other than the IVY League turned players away. Michigan did turn away Love from North Carolina he did not have enough credits to transfer, Anthony. Michigan University did it twice, a football player and a basketball player. They did not accept them, saying that they didn't have the hours to transfer in to keep him where he needed to be to graduate, so they denied it. I don't know how many schools have done that, Anthy, but I know Michigan did, and I have to give Michigan credit. It's going to start to hurt the grades and you're going to see people. If the NCAA makes them adhere to that rule, which they need to do, Anthony, it will slow down on the transferring because what will happen is only seniors will leave people with enough credit hours to transfer and graduate. Now that they're not giving people eight years anymore. They just denied Louisville's basketball players. We well know. We'll have to see what transpires. That's the rule, Anthony, that slows down the madness that. I don't care if the SEC leaves the NCAA. The academic standards have to stay because it is college. I'm with Kirby Smart pay the players still want my Anne Griff would have made a million out of made ten dollars, but I still want that ten dollars. You don't understand. I don't care what anybody says deserved it, earned it I wanted. But they cannot drop the academic standards, which should slow down all this movement because every school. Just ask anyone that's had their kids try to transfer from one school to another, Anthony, they know what I'm talking about. They know that the other school it's not accepting all those credits. So guys, have a wonderful day. Yes, I was truly gladiator. I was trying to grab carpet and kiss it yesterday. You think I'm playing Asthmas Gwynn Blackbird, she came off at plane said, I thought it was over. It was just that bad God. Willie will be back tomorrow. Love you a great job ATNY, Great job, Shannon. Talk to y'all own Thursday. Bye bye,