Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Big Big Scientific Finding. Scientists say they've found the strongest evidence yet of life on an alien planet.
Speaker 3: Oh, I want to.
Speaker 2: Go well, to sell your to give away your mangoes. We'll talk about that when we get into strained science at the bottom of the hour. Reminder that the Dodgers last night beat up on the Colorado Rockies eight to seven, so they had the day off today. But the Dodgers will be taken on the Rangers in Texas with first pitch at five o'clock tomorrow night. Listen to every play on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, stream all games NHD on that iHeartRadio app used the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports. Did you see Show Hayes first inning home run yesterday?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: One of the few home runs to almost go completely out of stadium so far back there in right field. Wow, I think if I'm not mistaken, John Carlos Stanton hit one out in left field. This one was a massive, massive home run.
Speaker 3: So what else is going on?
Speaker 4: Time four?
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, we've been reporting all the latest to you since it has happened. Florida is the scene of the most recent school shooting. This was at Florida State University. We do have a suspect taken into custody, multiple victims reported. Local reports are five fatalities, possibly with six additional victims being taken to the hospitals, but again no confirmation on those numbers. Also a report that at least one shooter has been taken into custody. Like we've kind of talked about, sometimes when these things happen, it can sound like the shots are coming from different places, just because of acoustics of whatever area you're talking about.
Speaker 2: At this point point, they have said that the Tallahassee campus a Florida State University is still technically on lockdown, and they've told people who are there on campus to continue to shelter in place until they are contacted by law enforcement. We don't know if that lends credibility to the fact that they may still be looking for somebody, or if they're just doing this out of an abundance of caution. And again, this was three hours ago that the first alert went out on the Florida State System on their emergency alert system. So we don't know yet if there is going to be a news conference the expectation. Actually, it's pretty unusual for them to go this long without one. So this is still considered an active crime scene according to the Florida State University.
Speaker 1: Wait, a crash in the valley and with an accident, well, not an accident, I guess, just a crash, a high speed pursuit, I should say, and in a crash in the valley. This was in Tarzana. It was a CHP and a c HP officer has suffered minor injuries, did decline treatment. Paramedics took the patient with non life threatening injuries to a hospital. But this happened about a half an hour ago that it came to an end. The pursuit did in Tarzana on Corbin Avenue.
Speaker 2: There there was another chase last night down in Orange County that ended with the cops shooting and killing the driver. Very dangerous high speed chase that ended with a pit maneuver and they crashed on the bridge over the Santa Ana River last night. Not clear when it actually started but we know that when it ended, this guy had blown through all kinds of intersections, hit numerous cars and whatever it was that the officers saw When they got close to him, as his truck was disabled, they decided to shoot back and eventually killed him.
Speaker 1: A whale that was trapped in a guildnet off of Palace Verdes about a week ago has been freed. This adult gray whale was first spotted by whale watchers April eighth.
Speaker 3: A day later, they saw the.
Speaker 1: Entanglement and found that the net had snagged a rock crab trap, keeping the whale from swimming free. But they were able after two hours to cut off the net and the whale is free.
Speaker 5: Well, the doom and gloom weatherwise?
Speaker 3: Can I have some Can I have some music?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 5: It will be uh you guys?
Speaker 3: Rain, you guys, rain.
Speaker 2: Light showers expected through tonight into maybe tomorrow.
Speaker 3: When is winter going to be over? When will the sun come back? Could you imagine to light our doorsteps if.
Speaker 2: You went to Coachella last weekend when it was one hundred degrees on Friday, and you're going to go to Coachella this weekend and they're talking about seventy mile an hour winds.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's awful. The dust, the cold, the cold, the stages like Game of Thrones. Seriously, though, when's the sun shine coming back? Do you have an idea about that? Or do I have to look up some sort of forecast.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize that I was going to be the better.
Speaker 3: Saturday.
Speaker 1: The sun will be back Saturday, guys, we just got a hunker down for another day to gather through this hell. The sun will be back Saturday, and it looks like it will stay with us into next week, into the weekend. Don't worry. The sun will be back. The sun will come out, yes, but not tomorrow. Yes or Saturday?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Anything else? Did you want to throw in there?
Speaker 3: No, I'm still depressed until the sun comes back.
Speaker 5: This should be depressing, be jays.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to talk about that. Check it was depressing to me. Keep your cheese and baroccoli out of dessert.
Speaker 2: For the love of God, Hold on a second before you say this is an April Fool's joke on the seventeenth, it's not.
Speaker 3: It looks awful.
Speaker 2: The green and yellow concoction starts with a broccoli cheddar cookie. Okay, maybe not the greatest option, topped with two scoops of mashed potatoes. Yes, okay, And I'm warming up a cheddar sauce drizzle.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, oh so it's not ice.
Speaker 2: Cream considerate dessert. No, I thought it was ice cream too. I thought it was cheddar and broccoli.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't call it puzuki, and they shouldn't shape the potatoes like ice cream.
Speaker 5: I think it's pretty brilliant.
Speaker 3: I like getting I like mashed potatoes. I ate a baked potato last.
Speaker 5: Night, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not a monster.
Speaker 5: It's okay if you ate the whole thing.
Speaker 3: You've been fat shaming me all You told me my.
Speaker 5: Face was weird and made you feel better about yourself.
Speaker 3: That was a joke.
Speaker 5: It was an obvious joke, totally a joke.
Speaker 1: Fast was screwed up. It would not be funny. But it's perfectly fine. It's an acceptable face. Thank you for my acceptability. It's about to make a reference to a major motion picture, and I stopped myself.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know what you're say. Yeah, it's an older movie.
Speaker 1: We want to talk, all right, when we come back. You want to talk about cocktails and roosters.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a Hell and Hunt movie, was it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, let's talk about uh, let's talk about rooster Share Share.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI. A M six forty small.
Speaker 1: Business shout out This Thursday features rooster Fish.
Speaker 3: They're in West Hollywood.
Speaker 1: They also have a spot on Abbot Kenny there and Venice, but we Hooe is latest rooster Fish. We ho is the latest restaurant in bart to open in West Hollywood, and it's an a familiar spot, at least for people like me who watched vander Pump Rules for the better part of my life. Alex joins us now and Alex, you helped to run Roosterfish there in West Hollywood.
Speaker 3: How long have you all been open?
Speaker 5: We're going on our six month.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so how's it going.
Speaker 5: It's going really well?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why West Hollywood?
Speaker 6: Well, the original Roosterfish, which opened up in nineteen seventy nine, is a historic gay bar, and we took it over in twenty seventeen and you know, reopened it still opened it up as a gay bar, but the demographics have changed. In Venice, we have a lot more of like a tech type of you know, Silicon Beach as I call it, and when we always wanted to take it to West Hollywood so it could go back to its roots, and we had the opportunity once Pump closed, we were able to take that location and it's the perfect location for.
Speaker 5: Roosterfish West Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's a nice spot too because it's bigger, much bigger than your spot in Venice.
Speaker 3: You can't really get big spots in Venice.
Speaker 6: It's bigger, and we also have food that we don't have in Venice, so we have a kitchen component. So we're a restaurant bar I want to say, actually a rest restaurant club because the nightlife is pretty it's it's not necessarily just a bar, you know. We really we have different events every every week and it's fun.
Speaker 1: Is there ever just a gay bar? Like, isn't every gay bar a gay club as well? I mean you can go in in the middle of the day and it's a party.
Speaker 6: It definitely, especially on Santa Monica Boulevard and was Hollywood, it's always a party.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Talk about the food, I mean, who's who's designing the menu, who's.
Speaker 6: So one of our one of our partners Mario uh. He is an Italian chef, and our our mainstay is you know, has a really we have really good peaks of program pastas and so on. But we're adding now more to it for because we're able to expand on the the menu there. So it's really an American cuisine. We're gonna start We're gonna start putting some some sushi components. We're gonna have more salid options.
Speaker 5: It's a variety.
Speaker 6: It's rolling out next week, so I don't have a full menu, but if you if you check us out on our Instagram rooster Fish West Hollywood, you'll see all of the updates that are be coming up. But on occasion, like yesterday was country Night and we had ribs, we had barbecue ribs. Tonight it's Papasito Night, which is Latin themed and we have tacos.
Speaker 3: Wow, so really checked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean like we're doing what Roosterfish.
Speaker 6: West Hollywood is like an ongoing show. So it's like every day there's a new there's a new event. Yeah, it's super fun. It's super fun.
Speaker 1: You have to have a well stocked closet, you know, to be a regular, you've got to have different outfits for different different nights.
Speaker 6: You have to, like even even for myself, like I have to constantly. Yesterday I was not shopping for cowboy boots and a cowboy you know me?
Speaker 5: Well it was Wednesday, so I think everybody.
Speaker 3: Cowboy can't look like a fool.
Speaker 5: It sure seemed like because I couldn't find any.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reminds me of Farmer once a wife. I got into that show Alex last night.
Speaker 3: Don't do it?
Speaker 1: So what's your background? What are you into restaurants and bars? Is this your thing? Is this what you've always done?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not what I've always done.
Speaker 6: I'm one of four partners. It's myself, my brother, Vincent, Mario Chef and Patrick. But I've done a lot of different things. Starting off, I was I was in the army. It was a paratrooper in the army for a couple of years. Left that joined the LPD for a couple of years, and then transition into the family business with the furniture, and we did restaurants and bars and hotels and so on. And then about fifteen years ago my brother and Night said hey, let's not just make furniture for these establishments, let's actually own our own wow, And so that kind of that was the transition.
Speaker 3: I feel like I would watch Major Motion picture, right, there's.
Speaker 5: A lot to it. Yeah, so tell us the parts you left out. I want to say, we only had eight minutes. I don't want to start.
Speaker 1: If a guy mentions furniture and the police. You know, we don't want to get into like Denzel training days type stuff right here?
Speaker 3: Okay, So parking is parking an issue?
Speaker 6: Parking is not well, Parking is not an issue in the sense that there is paid parking everywhere. There's valley parking. There's parking in front of the abbey, which is right on oh right, right right next door, and then we're right next to Badigga Louis and they have valley parking.
Speaker 5: So it's never an issue.
Speaker 1: It's always fun there. No matter what time of day you go over to that section of who it's.
Speaker 3: A good time right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we don't open until five, but you guys are welcome to come over.
Speaker 3: You give up for Jesus, no oh, somebody else did? Oh Joe did Joe quant did you could go lent?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: For Jesus right right? Isn't that the whole purpose of lent it is.
Speaker 5: The answer is no, I did not. I gave up other more valuable things. Wops.
Speaker 3: Do you uh? Do you know?
Speaker 1: Is there like a I remember the mural at Rooster Fish in Venice, Like, yeah, do you have that over there too?
Speaker 3: Is there something that did that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? We actually have been waiting if the city was Hollywood is listening, We've been waiting for them to give us you approval because they they count that artwork as a business logo. Wow, and so we're only allowed to have X amount of frontage. But you know, it's very sad because as you see the location in Venice, we have a lot of artwork, Like now, both the mural outside and inside.
Speaker 5: Is this the logo you're talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it kind of. It's it's it's it goes with the brand. It is, it is, it's become the brand.
Speaker 6: But but the artist that did it, Diev, is an amazing graffiti artists, and we actually have permission from him to recreate it. And in West Hollywood they just have not approved.
Speaker 5: You're waiting for the city. We're waiting for the city.
Speaker 1: Now, are you going to have a rooster night where people dress up by roosters.
Speaker 6: That could be interesting. Maybe you don't, Maybe you can come up with it. I never say no. It sounds like a good time.
Speaker 3: So I'll keep thinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, keep on thinking of cocktail napkin.
Speaker 2: That Alex Tappia one of the partners there at Roosterfish, the new one in West Hollywood on Santa Monica Boulevard, eight forty eight Santa Monica Bulevard. Again, he mentioned the Instagram account. It's at Roosterfish dot.
Speaker 4: We ho you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KF I am six forty Steve.
Speaker 3: I'm coming from Port Oregon.
Speaker 6: I'll maybe messages because Sonny and Bright Sonny and down there, but it's up here to here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that sounds good. What Portland?
Speaker 3: Then you're sending me there?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm just saying, oh, there, you should go.
Speaker 1: I could grab a flight to Portland right out of Burbank this afternoon. Portland, Alaska will take me right there.
Speaker 5: Pretty unbeatable. Erry.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen you, but I think you are absolutely told week here.
Speaker 5: Thank you? Not just acceptable?
Speaker 1: Are you going to be asking for people to call in and talk about how good looking you are?
Speaker 5: Didn't you hear me? At she called.
Speaker 2: She left that message all by herself. I didn't solicit that.
Speaker 1: Please everybody, let us know how good looking is he.
Speaker 5: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, oh, I haven't.
Speaker 4: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: I had that insect story. I wanted to tell you more about. Remember the insect with the most painful bite?
Speaker 5: Yes? I thought we kind of ran through that whole thing, didn't we Was there more to it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, we kind of did.
Speaker 1: It feels like three inch nails stuck in your in your foot while you're walking through fire on coals.
Speaker 5: Did you ever step on a nail?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I have twice?
Speaker 3: Really do you have tetanus?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I don't. Yeah, but twice I stepped on a nail. And once I stepped on an empty or broken beer bottle at my little league field.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, your parents don't seem to have the house that would be littered with broken beer bottles.
Speaker 2: No rusty nails, yes, but not the broken beer. So how big were the nails?
Speaker 5: Uh? There's probably what is that three inch nail? Something like?
Speaker 3: How old were you?
Speaker 2: It was five six seven somewhere in that area. Oh my God, a little bit older than that. When I hit that, when I hit the beer bottle, a three inch nail into your little foot, Well, I don't It didn't go all the way in, but it went in. A three inch nail would go all the way through my foot. Yeah, so but no it went in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it hurts. It hurts a lot.
Speaker 1: And your parents did they say, just reb a little dirt on it, patch it up.
Speaker 5: Did they care that I was stepping on nails?
Speaker 1: Now? Right?
Speaker 3: Okay? I was hoped. Not.
Speaker 5: In fact, they were like, go out there and get a couple more.
Speaker 3: Right, let's build up your immune system.
Speaker 5: Let's see how you do with that.
Speaker 3: Neus.
Speaker 5: No, okay. So here's the big story today.
Speaker 2: Science wise, there is an atmosphere around a distant planet that shows signs of molecules that on Earth are only associated with life forms with biological activity.
Speaker 5: We do not know much.
Speaker 2: We don't know if there is life or if there is biological activity on this planet, but we know that it is a possibility. If you check out get passed all the comics and the letters to the editor and the Astrophysical Journal letters. There is an article there that says the authors have found the best evidence to date of a possible biosignature on a planet that is far from our solar See what kind.
Speaker 3: Of signature are we talking about? Animals?
Speaker 5: People?
Speaker 3: No, I guess they're the same.
Speaker 5: Nope, No, not that. Okay, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Specifically, the molecule that they say they have detected is dimethyl sulfide.
Speaker 5: Ahha, and that methyl sulfide.
Speaker 2: On Earth is produced by the decay of marine phitoplankton and other microbes.
Speaker 5: But it has no other known soul.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I smelled last week in Huntington Beachie when that whale washed ashore.
Speaker 2: So the astronomers say they want to observe this planet further. It's known as K two eighteen B to strengthen evidence that that has water in fact present. So it has water so you can live there, they think it does. Well, how else would you explain the chemical that comes from the decay of marine phytoplankton without there being a water source. I have no idea there. I also don't know what goes on on other planets.
Speaker 3: There's no marine without water.
Speaker 5: On Earth, there's no marine without water.
Speaker 1: You think, what do you think these marine I don't know. What do you they're swimming in sand?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I think you're like in beetlejuice.
Speaker 2: You're a little arrogant about your own knowledge about what goes on on other planets.
Speaker 5: You don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I will die on the hill that says the decay of marine phytoplankton is a definite sign of water on Earth.
Speaker 2: But what if the dimethyl sulfide comes from on that planet?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I see, I see.
Speaker 1: So it's something else that would result in the same chemical that we get from.
Speaker 2: The marine final plankton, right, got it? Okay, so there you're saying, but they do. They are running on the same assumptions. They're saying. Listen, if what we know of on Earth, if all of the scientific properties that we rely on here on Earth exists and can be counted on in other places, then yes, maybe there is marine life.
Speaker 1: Well, I certainly rely on this show to bring me all of the analysis when it comes to dimethyl sulfide and where the hell it comes from.
Speaker 3: So we are where else you would go for that?
Speaker 2: We are your marine phytoplankton, another microbe show of.
Speaker 3: Record, Right we are.
Speaker 2: So I don't know why anybody would go anywhere else. My god, you know we haven't done it in a long time. What boom, Shakolaca Thursday, Let's do it. I mean science, we come back.
Speaker 3: You're in tissue samples on the way.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kfi A.
Speaker 1: Six forty seven federal workers who abruptly lost their jobs in recent weeks are really stretching to make us care.
Speaker 3: I do care about people who have lost their jobs.
Speaker 5: That sucks.
Speaker 3: That can be true.
Speaker 1: As well as there's a lot of bloat in the federal government. Both can be true, but it's so transparent sometimes when people try to really make you care about them losing their jobs, like, for instance, seven federal workers who lost their jobs recently say they're worried that thousands of biological samples from human urine to frozen rodent organs may be left to rot in a government lab in West Virginia, that without us restoring their employment, these samples of urine and frozen rodents will go to waste. Like I am not hearing that and then calling up my congress person to say we've got to do something. I mean, if you heard the latest about these federal workers getting laid off.
Speaker 3: We're going to have urine go to waste.
Speaker 1: Now there's just gonna be frozen rodents that just they're going to be thrown out.
Speaker 3: Can you believe this?
Speaker 1: We have to do something like this isn't the right this isn't the right tree to climb up of on.
Speaker 2: Such a funny just the image of the they just leave. Who cares? Who cares about these things?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: I mean there's studies.
Speaker 2: Their argument is that the studies that are involved with these samples and animals need to continue. And if you don't have the samples and animals, they can't continue the studies.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's their study on?
Speaker 1: Because I've read more than I wanted to read through this article and wired and if there's a study that is on health or can give us some sort of leg up when it comes to curing things, cool, put that in the beginning, because all I've got is frozen urine and rodents that you're worried about with no math shown on what they provide us when it comes to medical answer what they're doing.
Speaker 2: So the research at this Morgantown facility say they've been studying how Gulf War soldiers were affected by mustard gas. How pregnant workers have been affected by exposure to pfast chemicals, or how manufacturing workers contract lung fibrosis silicosis specifically after inhaling nanoparticles from things like making countertops.
Speaker 3: Common sense to me, But.
Speaker 2: A team of researchers has developed a living building material composed of of fungal, micellium, and bacterial cells that are capable of self repairing. They set on like conventional construction materials like I don't know, cement or concrete. This bio based composite is viable for weeks. That opens new possibilities for regenerative architecture, like a concrete a building that would be able to repair itself right now. They say cement is responsible for about eight percent of global CO two emissions. They believe this innovation could pave the way for sustainable and adaptive building symptom systems. By producing this material at low temperatures relying on living cells, they could be a groundbreaking solution for them when it comes to the construction industry.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got a meteor shower right in time for John's show. Yes, this was a John and Ken special meteor showers. They used to get together and watch these, but on a cloudy day like today. The Lyrid meteor shower, one of the oldest annual meteor showers known to humankind, will grace the earth sky.
Speaker 3: Beginning this week.
Speaker 1: They will come into view and last through April twenty fifth. Leary Lyrids, like all meteor showers, the flying trails of debris left behind by comets.
Speaker 3: That'll be exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, and you don't have to sell it to me. I'm already going to be out there with the telescope looking at the clouds. Yeah, yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 6: Oooh, I'm Gary, and I need to be sure I'm here, So.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we got people to people here. When we got some people that said you were a good looking right nop.
Speaker 2: John Cobelt Show's coming up next, they just said I was acceptable.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Oh my god. We'll see tomorrow. Stay dry, everybody, flatsings.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.