Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Let's get it started, Ladies and gentlemen, five o'clock hour here on a Wednesday, Coffee and company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio. I have also listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. Been a busy show so far, and it's going to be a really busy five o'clock hour. We've got a guest coming up here at five point thirty. We're going to bring in Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider dot com. We'll get his thoughts on some of the big matchups here in week one, because there are a lot of them. I mean, I still haven't really figured out which way I'm going to go with a lot of my bets, although I do have some picks that I've got for tomorrow because we've got some games tomorrow that I'm pretty excited about. But I know Brian Edwards, he's got picks, he's got thoughts on these matchups, and we will let him share those thoughts. I know he's got he's got a big opinion on the A and M Notre Dame game, Miami and Florida. That's certainly a big game this weekend comparatively speaking. And I know Miami, I mean they've been put on upset alard by a lot of people in Florida. The talk of Florida this offseason has really been about the schedule they have and how important it is for Billy and Napier with the toughest schedule in the country to win. And Miami they're a factor, and why the Florida schedule is viewed to be so tough. They're not the biggest factor. But Miami, I mean, I still don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that they continue to get. But I also understand that they always have talent, and they have a couple of big time editions in the portal that would make a lot of people on paper kind of change how you view this team. I mean, cam Ward very accomplished quarterback that put up a lot of I mean big time performances Washington State. Washington Washington State, not Oregon State. So we'll have Brian Edwards with us coming up at about five thirty, so real quick, for those of you who missed the news, there's really is not a I mean, I guess it's just the update we knew was on the way, and that is that Amari Huggins Bruce is officially on the roster. If you go to the website, he's been participating in practice and I still don't know he's eligible. Again, I can't tell you that he's not. I can't tell you that he I'm just guessing. I just think that if he was eligible to play, and you would you know, and he was going to be available to play in their opener, I would imagine that would have been something that was included in the press release. To go back to the report yesterday from Matt mcgavick, and that was that Amari Huggins Bruce will be eligible to play as long as he can fulfill academic obligations that are related to to's some recent NC DOUBLEA legislation that passed. I mean, I gotta be honest with you, that sounds legit. I don't know the hell it means, though, I'm not sure I'm alone in not knowing what the hell that actually means. So well, when it comes to how they you know, how they're gonna utilize there was, you know, the slot receiver position. In these first couple of games, maybe he does get a lot of run. But I feel comfortable now in saying this after talking to somebody yesterday that the guys who've been in camp, the guys who have been you know, not not happy to see their teammate get hurt, but they know that with Colin Lacy out, they got a chance to step up and get more run in practice and of course in games as well. So Jayden Thompson, Guitars, Hicks, Jelil McLain, I still think those are gonna be the guys that get the first chance to, uh to kind of you know, fill that void that's left by Colin Lacy, who of course was going to have probably a great season until that injury took place, which is a real bumber.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: All Right, So this is uh, I think this is awesome news. Bellerman has announced that they they will no longer use Freedom Hall for their home games. They're going to go back to Nights Hall on campus. And I love this, you know, I love Scottie Davenport first and foremost, and I'm a big Bellermin fan when it comes to, you know, wanting to see them succeed, and Freedham Hall was cool, but being at the tvt reminded me they don't need to be at Freedom Hall. I mean, it's nice to have that arena, and Freedom Hall is is a very historic arena with a lot of tradition, not just U of L games over the years, but some legendary high school tournaments back in the day. Heck, they've hosted NCAA Regionals there. But Bellerman not only just doesn't have I mean, that's too big of an arena for a lot of college basketball programs that are a much higher level. Bellerman's still brand new to Division one, and I wouldn't mean I imagine their alumni base is relatively small comparatively speaking when it comes to other Division one basketball programs. Maybe I'm wrong there, but either way, they're moving back to Nightshall and that will give them a chance to have I think a crazy awesome atmosphere. So I never understood if the decision to go to Freedom Hall was because of a requirement within the NCAA Division One process as they were transitioning from D two to D one. But you know there's no way that's the case because if you look at the other arenas, if you could even call them that, of these universities that are in the Atlantic Sun, I mean, they play in places that are smaller than Nightsall. So I just think you've got a chance to have an absolutely awesome atmosphere to where it will give you a home court advantage that maybe nobody else in your league could ever replicate.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's a little bit of a stretch.
Speaker 2: I know Liberty is still in the Atlantic Sun and they've got a good following and a good program, But I love this move for coach Davenport and I think it's a good one. This is from a press release, Sis, Freedom Hall has been great. Has it been a great home for Bellerman women's and men's basketball programs during our transition to the n SUAA Division One level. And we're grateful for We're grateful to Kentucky Venues for delivering a first classics experience for our student athletes and fans. That's from the athletic director of Bellerman. He goes on to say that bringing the Knights back to the Highlands will allow our students to fully experience the atmosphere of division and basketball without leaving campus satisfied fans who have missed the venue's rowdy experience, bring added convenience to our student athletes and provide additional game day revenue to neighborhood businesses, while offering basketball fans in the surrounding neighborhoods an excellent entertainment option at at a comparatively affordable price point. So I love it. I will be at Bellerman games this year. I don't know how many, but certainly a couple, because that atmosphere was a great. Man, And you know, I'm not gonna act like it's the same thing as being excited to go see Louisville play at Freedom Hall back in the day or the Young Center when Louisville's got it rolling, But man, there's something about, Hey, I'm going to Knights Hall to night to watch the Scott Davenport team that plays a really fun and exciting style of basketball. They're clearly very well coached, and that atmosphere is going to be great. So I didn't know if they would make the move back. I'd heard that there was some talk of it, but I think this is a really good move on their parts. So I mean, I'm congratulating them. I'm not sure if that's necessary, but I'm just as a fan of coach d in his program, I think this is a good move for him, no doubt. I mean, when you're recruiting and recruiting of courses a little different for Bellerman than most, especially now in the portal era, but I think showing off Freedom Hall could be cool. But I think showing off Nights Haul when it's packed and you've got a game where first place in the conferences on the line and you can't move in there because it's so crowded like that, I think could really really stand out to an up and coming recruit that you know is being recruited by Bellerman in programs alike. All Right, So yesterday I made it official because yes, I have the ability to make it official. Andy Katz band from Louisville, and anybody who lets him in your band as well, don't test me, don't challenge me. As I said, I know the neighbor, or not the neighbor. I know the mayor, we're not neighbors, but I'm not lifting the band on Andy Kats. But he did redeem himself with a new list today, John, have you seen it?
Speaker 4: I have not seen this new list.
Speaker 2: His list yesterday was the best college basketball fans fan bases, and he didn't have Louisville in there. And he had a bunch of bum fan bases in there, just a bunch of bums. Illinois, Iowa Star, I mean Iowa State. Get the hell out of here. Katz. Well, now he has given us college basketball's best rivalries, and I am biased, but I think Louisville Kentucky belongs at number one. But I'm aware that nobody would ever decide a college basketball rivalry is better than the Duke and Carolina rivalry unless you're a Louisville fan or a Kentucky fan, or maybe you're a Cincinnati and fan or a Xavier fan, and you think, again, there's some like clearly I'm biased when it comes to that. And as I've always said, to truly understand the rivalry between Louisville and Kentucky basketball and football, to be honest with you think, but obviously much more in basketball, just because the history is a lot deeper being in Louisville, and you even saw it play out at the TBT event, right. I mean, the reason that that thing broke the record that will never be broken again for a TVT unless it's those two playing again is because we care that much. So take the TVT out of it, and I still think it's the exact same. There are so many fans of both in this in this city. That I mean is that, like, let me look, let me give you the top five Carolina Dude number one, Louisville, Kentucky number two, Indiana Purdue number three, Xavier Cincinnati number four, UCLA USC number five. No offense to Indiana and Purdue, But John, I have I don't. I think there's a humongous gap between two and everybody else.
Speaker 4: As I kind of agree with you.
Speaker 1: You all are.
Speaker 2: Rivals, yes, no doubt, and you don't like each other and you will. I mean, like, trust me, I get all that, But I just don't think that there's there's just not as much animosity.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing, in terms of pure hatred, I'd almost put Xavior in Cincinnati at number three over Indiana Purdue because that gets ugly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it gets And again you know why, because they're both in the they're in the same city. Yes, if you live in Cincinnati and you were for a college that's not Ohio State. When it comes to basketball, you're rooting for one of those two and you all coexist together, which is why it gets so nasty. And that's what happens here Carolina and Duke Duke's fan bas is not in Carolina. Dukes alum are all in the northeast in New York City. Carolina has a lot of fans that live in Chapel Hill. They got fans across the state, no doubt. But n C State has a big presence in the state of North Carolina, more so than people realize. Indiana Purdue like produce alum where they all like northern I mean like northern.
Speaker 4: North, north of Indianapolis is one most of Purdue alum.
Speaker 2: And Indiana has fans all across the world. Yes, I'd say the bulk of Indiana. You don't see that many Purdue flags when you're when you're driving in rural Indiana, you'll see them. But there's a lot of Indiana Flint fans, Indiana flags and fans.
Speaker 4: The fans really have just been louder recently because they've been really, really.
Speaker 2: Sure, no doubt, so I can't speak to the other rivalries U C, L a USC BYU Utah. But I think when it comes to the best route, Again, this is my biased look at it. I think what makes a rivalry is fans. Players come and go, coaches come and go. If you're a diehard fan, you're born into this and you will die probably thinking about you know, you got a few days left to live. That's a terrible thing to think about. But when you're on your deathbed and you're thinking about the good and the bad in your life, you might think about the time you spent watching your Louisville Cardinals or your Kentucky Wildcats beat the other because it meant that much. Hopefully, when you think about the bad, you're not thinking about that. Hopefully not think about anything bad if you're about to go. But you know what I'm saying, So like fans make a rivalry what it is. Therefore, that's why I think in Louisville, Kentucky, that's where you have the most contentious, heated, nasty rivalry in college hoops because there's so many of us that all coexist together, and the vast majority of louivillions or one or the other, and you know you got to go see each other at work, you got in lass. I'm married into a UK family and I love those people, but like you know, they've got one flaw. It's that they're on the other side. And I say that jokingly. They're great people, but I'm like, you know exactly what I mean. You've had a loss or a win in this rivalry where you he you thought, I can't wait to get to work and go to the cubicle and just let Dennis from Accounting have it because he's a big Blue Nation clown. Or you've lost and you thought, oh, I got a PTO day here before the year comes to an end.
Speaker 3: I'm taking it. I can't. I need a day.
Speaker 2: I need to let this thing simmer because I can't go face Dennis because Dennis is gonna give me the business.
Speaker 3: Dennis is gonna be a menace.
Speaker 2: So you know, like I'm so passionate about that because how much we care and how much we hate each other. You know, in the sports world of it, that's what makes a rivalry. And I know that Kentucky or not Kentucky, but Carolina and Duke have better tradition and this is where my bias comes in. I think fans are what makes rivalry, as I explained, But if you are somebody that use a rivalry the wrong way, which is just about success among the two in how competitive it is when they go head to head, then that is clearly gonna always be Duke in Carolina because of the national championships that they have and because of the you know, the amount of I mean, it's been years and I need to go back and look at it at some point. It's come up a time or two, and I've never once gone back to look at it. But at one point when they played in the last five six years, the record all time record was insanely close. But if you add it up the total score of every game they played, it's like a one point difference. That's insane. So again, if you view rivalries the wrong way, then they're the best. But if you view it the right way, which is all it's all about fans, fans because players aren't born into the rivalry and they are a part of it when they play here, and some of them it sticks with them forever and that's great, But like some of them, they don't really care because that's just you know, it's personality thing, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, especially now with transfer portal, you have guys there for one year, they don't care about the rivalry like that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So with all that said, like I just you know, I'm fine with seeing Louisville at number two. I would take issue with them being anything but one or two because I just don't think there's really comparison. And again to to you know, I'm glad you brought that up, John. As far as like Cincinnati and Zavier, like, I feel like their fans make that a more heated rivalry. And again it's because they're together. And if you go to NC State and like I'm trying to think of like Mississippi and Mississippi State, Like I don't know enough about that state itself, but obviously I would imagine, Oh, miss They've got a lot of fans throughout the state, as does Mississippi State. But I would imagine, again I'm just guessing here the majority of those Mississippi State fans or people that are in Starkville. So you know, I and again there's a lot of big rivalries out there that are not within the same state, like Michigan and Ohio State. That's just a much different thing. And by the way, I've always thought that this was one of the best rivalries in all of sports, pro or college, but watching the Connor Stallions documentary did kind of remind me that you could make the case. I think that the most the nastiest rivalry that you'll maybe ever.
Speaker 3: See is.
Speaker 2: Ohio State and Michigan. It's just nasty between those two and they don't really co exist together, right, I mean, they're not.
Speaker 4: I mean, and that's the weird thing about it because there it's really the only rivalry where you're not in the same state at the very least.
Speaker 2: But there's just so much tradition within that rivalry. It's just been around forever and both have been great, right, But yeah, that's I heard Pat Forty at one point talk about how he doesn't think there's any comparison to that one and I and I always thought that that's a strong thing to say, and I've kind of seen it play out where I'm like, you know what, like that always comes back to me. I guess he's been there, he's been at games and seen just how you know, crazy crazy it can be.
Speaker 3: I think the the was it Harvey Updyke.
Speaker 2: Is that the guy's name who poisoned the tree at Auburn who was the Alabama fan. Yeah, he's the infamous Alabama fan who poisoned tumors oaks and ended up like going to prison for it. And they did a thirty for thirty on it and it was really really well done. But I think that story alone made it to where I think it made it to where that right. Again, I'm not to say that Alabama and Auburn is not a heated and hatred rival, but like, Alabama has way more fans, like you know, and again, honestly, you could say the same thing about about Louisville and Kentucky, like there's way more Kentucky fans, but I'm talking about Louisville specifically. By the way, speaking of this rivalry, let me give you some evidence that helps support the insaneness of this rivalry. This from back in twenty twenty thirteen or No. Twenty twelve, when these two teams played in the Final four.
Speaker 5: The rivalry between UK and U of L fans runs deep, but police say they've never been called to a place like this to break up a fight between fans.
Speaker 6: Police are calling it a flagrant foul.
Speaker 2: I think this is a first at a dialysis cliny.
Speaker 5: Officers were called after a UK and U of L fan gave each other a full court press during treatment Monday.
Speaker 7: You just happened to think that of L U of L would beat the UK, and he started running his mouth. That's what that's what's started.
Speaker 8: I ain't talk to him about the ball game. I'll talk to another guy about the ball. He meant it and told me shut up and then give me the finger. I said, what, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 9: Both men admit they were in the zone, but never anticipated there'd be a power forward.
Speaker 8: I wasn't gonna take no more of him.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm setting there, hooked up to machine and I can't do it, and.
Speaker 1: I wonn't told I hit you, and he made hert what.
Speaker 6: By the time police arrived, the fight was over.
Speaker 7: I'm just sorry it even happened. Hopefully they just he won't come in the same time I do anymore.
Speaker 5: Wilson does say that he won't be pressing any charges against Taylor, but he does say that.
Speaker 6: He helps the Wildcats win.
Speaker 5: In George Stout, Elizabeth, Dorset, WKYT twenty seven news.
Speaker 2: First, if I didn't remember that happening, the puns used in that newscast, I wouldn't. I would think it was it was a manufactured thing, like it wasn't a real newscast. It was somebody just trying to point out that those who work in local news at times can be really corny.
Speaker 4: I can appreciate the commitment to the bit too.
Speaker 3: It was very annoyed.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was puns I heard, But the more she committed to it, I was like, Okay, this is I can appreciate.
Speaker 3: Let let's count them.
Speaker 4: Think it's fright.
Speaker 5: The rivalry between UK and U of L fans runs deep, but police say they've never been called to a place like this to break up a fight between fans.
Speaker 6: Police are calling it a flagrant fountain.
Speaker 3: Oh god. And then the other one was about power forward, right, and.
Speaker 4: That was that was the second one.
Speaker 7: That's what that's what's started.
Speaker 6: After a UK and U of L fan gave each other a full court press.
Speaker 2: Oh, the full court press, and starting.
Speaker 9: There were meant they were in the zone, but never anticipated there'd be a power for.
Speaker 3: That's the best right of them in the zone.
Speaker 2: Power for like that's not a common thing in local news, is it not anymore?
Speaker 4: I'm assuming it was back in the.
Speaker 2: Day twenty twelve. That was twelve years ago. So anyways, and by the way, for the Kentucky fans, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a rovalry, so we don't.
Speaker 2: Well, you prove that it's a rivalry, and it's a big deal whenever the majority, like a good chunk of your conversation as a Kentucky fan on our text line on Twitter or when you call in is about Louisville, and that's okay. Like I'm never I'm never going to be Oh, you're obsessed. No, you You're supposed to be obsessed with your rival, not as much as your own team. But like, that's how this works. That's why we're sick individuals when it comes to this rivalry. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll tell you he's not a sick individual. It's Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider dot com. He's gonna join us on the other side. Stick around week zero in the books. Week one is upon us. We've got a lot of college football action starting. In fact, it'll be starting tomorrow and I can't wait. Always enjoy bringing him in. He's Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider dot com to talk some college football action, which I know you Your Gators are involved in a big matchup this weekend, and we'll get to that one. But outside of that, which which game? Maybe we'll talk wagering in just one second, But just as far as a football fan like I know you are, what are you most excited to watch outside of your Gators and the Canes?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'd probably say Notre Dame at Texas A and M Clemson at Georgia, and then I will be at the LSU USC game.
Speaker 3: Oh hell yeah Vegas.
Speaker 10: Yep, I'm going out.
Speaker 8: There on Friday.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah.
Speaker 10: So I would say those three Georgia, Clempson, l s U USC and A and Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got some good ones, no doubt, and that's exciting. But I'm just excited that it's finally here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: College football is is awesome, and it's even more awesome whenever you win bets on these games, and hopefully a lot of you listening will be able to have a successful season. And one guy that has helped us do that is Brian. So with A and M and and Notre Dame. Any any big opinion here on this one. I mean, maybe I'm just thinking of the underwhelming Jimbo Fisher era, but I kind of felt like Notre Dame would be getting at a little more love here.
Speaker 10: Well, the Notre Dame lost its starting offensive tackle to a season ending injury, and I've heard.
Speaker 2: They were already pretty they were already pretty much expected to be weak on the old line, weren't they right, because.
Speaker 10: They lost Joe All, the first team All American, first round draft pick, and this young guy who you know, played in a reserve role last year, but they have really.
Speaker 8: High expectations of him. He was a four star. He's got a tough pronunciation and I'm.
Speaker 3: Not gonna butcher it on your air, understand it.
Speaker 8: But yeah, so, uh, he's out for the season.
Speaker 10: And I've heard multiple Notre Dame insiders talk about how he was probably the third or fourth most important guy on the whole team. And in other words, you know that they could not afford to lose to a season ending injury. And Phil Stiel's national unit rankings have Texas A and M's defensive line ranked sixth in the country despite losing Walter Nolan. They gotta transfer from Purdue Nick Scorton, uh, who's a big.
Speaker 8: Time pass rusher. And I just and don't you know, we don't really know how healthy Riley Leonard is.
Speaker 10: And you had the ankle last year, had to have another clean up surgery after spring or in the middle of.
Speaker 8: Spring practice or after spring practice.
Speaker 10: And you know, Elko knows Riley Leonard is his old quarterback at Duke. And I just think Elko is a breath of fresh air. It was such a toxic locker room for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: He's a ball coach, Jim bow.
Speaker 8: Goodball coach.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think what he did at Duke's almost as impressive as what James Franklin did at Bandy.
Speaker 8: Look. A and M went zero to four in one possession games last year. You know, they could have been a lot.
Speaker 10: Better, and they probably had, you know, some bad apples in there. And he got twenty eight transfers, so he turned the roster over. And yeah, I like A and M lay in the three.
Speaker 2: I know their schedule is viewed to be relatively weak, not in Week one, but Notre Dame is who I'm speaking of. I kind of feel like with Freeman. This is like, this is gonna be a year where they either feel like they've got something special there to where he could get him back to competing at the top, or they decide, okay, maybe we made the wrong decision right, And.
Speaker 8: Look, the schedule is pretty easy.
Speaker 10: And now the FSU game, which was looking like, you know, perhaps its toughest game, is looking even easier.
Speaker 8: And Notre Dames got two weeks to.
Speaker 10: Prepare for that one in South ben in November when the FSU guys will be coming up there for a cold weather game, and they're not on you know, not on two weeks rest.
Speaker 8: So really, I mean outside of at A and M, I mean, Notre Dame's got Louisville at home, they got to go.
Speaker 10: To Mercedes Benz, not Bobby Dodd to play Georgia Tech. They got FSU at home, and they've got at USC.
Speaker 8: I mean, as the schedule is.
Speaker 10: Cake, if he can't get to the playoff with it, with that schedule, yeah.
Speaker 8: You know, maybe maybe you start to maybe he kind of enters a warm seat going into year.
Speaker 2: Four Georgia and Clemson. As I'm looking right here on Fandel sportsbook, Georgia minus thirteen and a half. Any any strong opinions here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love Georgia.
Speaker 10: Georgia and Virginia Tech are my really strong opinions this week. Now, I will say Trevor Atn the Florida transfer running back, and also Smile London. They're leading returning tack and really good linebacker are probably gonna get suspended and it isn't official yet. I'm just assuming they're going to be suspended. And really, Roderick Robinson, another running back for Georgia.
Speaker 8: Is probably gonna be out with turf toe.
Speaker 10: Now, none of that's official, but I'm just assuming those three absences, and I still love Georgia.
Speaker 3: Georgia, Georgia, Georgia.
Speaker 8: Yeah, forty six and two straight up in at last forty eight.
Speaker 10: Now, that's irrelevant when you're laying double digits, but thirty six of those forty six wins have been by margins of fourteen or more.
Speaker 8: I think we have the home crowd advantage playing in Atlanta. I think we've got the head coaching advantage.
Speaker 10: I think we also have the quarterback advantage Carson Beck compared to Kay Klubnick.
Speaker 8: And I think the national narrative.
Speaker 10: From Week one to Week two will be what a knucklehead Dabo is for not using the portal and just being stubborn and stupid. Quite frankly, I think Georgia pounds clumpson. Maybe not as bad as as bo Nicks and Dan Lanning took it in a forty nine to three opener two years ago, but I think it's by at least three touchdowns.
Speaker 3: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think there's clearly a big opportunity here for Debo, Like if they were to keep this game close and you know, look like they may have a chance to win in the second half, but still end up let's say they lose by ten or something like that, which I don't see happening as wild as it sounds. I think the narrative would be that, you know, Clemson might be in a better spot than people thought, or maybe maybe others would say that it's more about Georgia maybe not being as dominant as you would have expected, But no, I think the scenario you've played out or laid out as exactly how this will play out. And I mean, at what point do you think you're not an athletic director at Clemson and you're not a Clemson fan, But like, at what point do they realize, Yes, that guy was looking like he was up there with Saban for a few years. But man, this his unwillingness to adapt to what has changed so much in college football, like Clemson can't just I mean, he won him a champion, two championships. He was elite for a while. But it's just a rare situation here with this guy. I mean, he's he's almost like not doing his job.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 10: I mean, look, they were neck and neck with Alabama there for six or seven.
Speaker 8: Years, but now even the high school recruiting is up a little bit.
Speaker 10: I mean, they were eleven in terms of high school recruits, but they were top five year in a year out there for a half dozen years or so, and they overall their fifteenth because they didn't, you know, bolster the roster with any addition. You know, the only FBS teams that did not use the portal are Air Force, Army, Navy, and Clemson, and the military schools cannot accept transfers.
Speaker 8: So there you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean it all comes. They've lost their luster. They're they're they're flair, They're just not they're not viewed as a prime time program anymore. And again it's all because of the portal. I mean, that's why I think they're high school recruiting is probably did because they just don't seem as relevant. And it's wild how how it's played out. But I think you can really during the offseason, you can really kind of get yourself out there as a team to look out for with some momentum. You may not live up to it, but it's all about what you do in the portal. And his just unwillingness to acknowledge that it's that it's a thing. It's just it's, you know, not to make this the Davo Show, but it's it's just something I'd never I can't think of a comparison in sports of something quite like this where and it's it's moving fast, man like this year. If they were to take another sizable step back, I don't think anybody can say that they'd be shocked.
Speaker 3: And if you're Dabo, you gotta one.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's been this consistent this long as far as never changing and adapting, it's hard to imagine that he ever will. All Right, another acc SEC matchup here with Virginia Tech in Vandy thirteen and a half is the number here. Obviously Virginia Tech is favored. Any any thoughts here, I mean I kind of feel just my opinion. Maybe I'm an ACC homer here, Brian, but I think Virginia Tech only being favored by thirteen is a sign of just disrespect for the ACC, because I know Vandy is in the superior league, but man Clark Lee, it's a tough job and it's I think they're going to once again be the very bottom of that league.
Speaker 10: Yes, I concur I think Votech's a legit sleeper to.
Speaker 8: Win the ACC and get to the playoffs.
Speaker 10: They went five and two, but straight up and against the spread in its last seven games last year, and the winning margins were by seventeen, twenty six, thirty eight, and twenty one, and there were no non conference games in there. Tyron Jones is a dude.
Speaker 8: He ran for over a thousand yards last year.
Speaker 10: Now when he used some track sackyard edge, he was only eight hundred and eighteen net but five touchdowns four point nine yards for carry average is seventeen to three TDI and T ratio. They've basically got everybody back. I mean ten starters on offense, ten starters. On defense, they've got a really good pass rush. They've got their stud running back who Touton, who had ten touchdowns and five point zero yards for carry average last year. They've got a former Gator, Antoine pobwel Ryland. He's back fourteen and a half tackles for lost, nine and a half sacks, seven QB hurries last year. And Vandy went two and ten but straight up in ats last year, and then they lost most of their best players of the portal. I like the Diego Pavia. Get a quarterback for out of the portal from New Mexico State who's two to zero against Hugh Freeze, by the way, but Paby is gonna be running for his life all year. I like Virginia ten as long as it's fourteen or fewer, and it is right now.
Speaker 8: I like that just as much as Georgia.
Speaker 10: Those are my two top players, and I say A and M is probably my third favorite.
Speaker 2: I like it too. You got to keep in mind with Vandy, Virginia Tech will travel. They've got a big fan base. They traveled at a major way to Louisville last year. It's gonna be a home game for them essentially probably nothing like crazy, but they'll be in Nashville because everybody wants to go to Nashville right now, it seems so yeah, that's another factor as well. All Right, So last couple of games I'll ask you about here when it comes to the Gators and the Canes. Obviously a big game, and I know right now the momentum for Florida just doesn't seem to be there.
Speaker 3: A really tough schedule.
Speaker 2: Billy Napier is just you know, not really gotten it done at a Florida level, not even close to it, to be honest. And I know you know that. But if somebody just wanted to get in on one of the big games of the weekend, which this is one, what would you what would you recommend?
Speaker 3: If anything?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 10: I have a small opinion on Florida and as you as you know, Nick, I'm really down on my Gators and I am a lum for full disclosure, And I don't know if I'll bet on Florida again see here.
Speaker 8: But you know, Miami struggling under Christ of ball as well.
Speaker 10: He's been a favorite fourteen times since he became head coach of the Canes.
Speaker 8: He's four and ten against the spread in those games and the covers. One was at Temple.
Speaker 10: The other one was at home to Bethune Cookman and also just on the road, whether underdog or favored, Miami five and five straight up, four and six against the spread in ten road assignments under Crystal Ball. Now, Napier has been pretty good as an underdog at Florida eight and six against the spread, but he was great at Louisiana, and so now he is overall and thirty one career games as a head coach. As an underdog, he's twenty ten and one against the spread. I'm hearing a lot of hype about cam Ward. I don't think he's ever played in an environment anywhere near the level of the Swamp. And look, there's a zero in the l column for the Florida Gators right now. So even though the fan base is really down on Napier, you know this is a bitter, bitter.
Speaker 8: Rival and this is Week one. The Swamp will be.
Speaker 10: A big time factor on Saturday. Again, small opinion, but I like Florida's actually you can get plus three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an aspect here that I that I that I think will be kind of missed by a lot of folks. Is the rivalry one where despite morale not being great surrounding Florida football, obviously a lot of talk about billion aper's future if they don't have a good year, But when you play your rival, that that kind of goes away locally, right Like I think, you know, you can kind of block that out, knowing, hey, you got a chance to go play a bitter rival, and there's nothing that could get them catapulted, you know, to to a good start quite like a win, you know, a win like this. So I've been Miami's burned me so much and I'm trying not to let that factor into why I want to lean Florida here. But you're right, it's gonna be in the swamp, tough place to play. I think cam Ward's numbers are impressive, but I'm with you, I just don't think he's been in a situation quite like this. And Miami may end up letting, may end up having that talent really come through, and they could be a team that contends for the ACC But they're like a lot of teams where it may take a little time for them to put it together. It's the first first game for Ward and the other transfers that they have. So I I don't know if I'm gonna get in on that one, but it's it's been on my mind here in the last last few days. All right, last one here, do you have any before we actually get started, there's still at an opportunity for fans to get in on win totals, any that you still feel really good about. I know we've talked about that earlier in the summer, But which ones of these teams as far as win totals do you feel like it's got the best chance to play out?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I like Old Miss over nine and a half. I like Missouri over nine and a half.
Speaker 10: And just real quickly on those two, they have the two easiest schedules in the SEC. In fact, you know, they're probably both only gonna be underdogs twice, and one of those Missouri's plus four at A and M, and Missouri's got two weeks to get ready for that one, whereas A and M is gonna be playing its six game and six weeks and off a rivalry game against Arkansas, and then Ole miss has two weeks to prepare for a home game against Oklahoma when Oklahoma does not have an open date.
Speaker 8: Missouri has the same thing. They've got two weeks to.
Speaker 10: Prepare for Oklahoma at home when Oklahoma doesn't have two weeks. And then ole Miss's other by day or open day is ahead of the game at Florida, when Florida will be playing its fourth top.
Speaker 8: Twelve to fifteen teams in a row in that many weeks. So, uh, both.
Speaker 10: Schedules were good for ole Miss and Missouri. I like both of them over nine and a half. I like Iowa over eight.
Speaker 11: I don't know how we're doing on time, Okay, So I mean, well, first off, ole Miss, you know they got the best portal class transfer specific at least according to.
Speaker 8: Or seven Sports.
Speaker 10: Walter Nolan and Princely Human Million are gonna be all sec guys that that's sportified their defensive line, and then on the O line, I mean, I think ole Miss is finally good enough in the trenches to compete, uh, you know with the Georgia's and the Alabamas, et cetera.
Speaker 8: And now they've developed some pretty good depth.
Speaker 10: And I love their receivers, and I love Jackson Dark Missouri, love Brady Cook, love Luthor Burden. I'm a little worried about the defense. They got a new coordinator, but the schedule just works. I mean, all you gotta do is look at the schedule and you'll be like I think you'll be on board with over nine and a half.
Speaker 8: And then Iowa if we dismissed the COVID year. Six of the last.
Speaker 10: Eight seasons they've won at least eight games in the regular season, and they won ten games last year and should be a lot better this year. The offense can only get better and the defense should be just as salty. And the schedule works for iowas well. They're possibly gonna be favored in eleven of twelve games.
Speaker 3: I saw that at least. Yeah, yeah, Iowa.
Speaker 2: Again, we talked about it. I think it was last time we had John. They just get made fun of for not scoring and playing a boring style, but man, they win. They're really consistent when it comes to that. So in their schedule sets up well as you mentioned. But Brian, thanks for the time. As always, enjoy Vegas. Live it up opening the real opening weekend of college football. I'm not sure there'd be a better place to be, So enjoy yourself, have fun, be safe. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 8: Brother, Thanks theg have a going man, all right.
Speaker 3: That's Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider dot com. Vegas.
Speaker 2: You kidd me for the Oh my good I'm jealous. Be a hell of a time there. Good stuff, all right, quick break, we'll come back, wrap it up. On the other side, it's coffee and Company feel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: I know I've told you before, I love this song a little Montgomery j along Montgomery Gentry.
Speaker 2: I don't know why because they don't have roots there. Obviously, one of their members has passed away tragically in a plane crash. But Eddie Montgomery, he's from Bowle County, not Boiled, but Bowle County, and he's a legend down there. But Montgomery Gentry music reminds me of Bullet County. I don't know why. Like where I'm from. Yeah, that song specifically, and I really can't like relate that. It's not like there's one specific line that I'm like, yep, that's but it's just it's good stuff. Love Montgomery Gentry, love them all right. We don't have a whole lot of time left, but what a busy show we have had so far today. A lot of interaction too, more on the phone lines than usual, which has led to me neglecting the text line. So I'll promise to you know, not do that tomorrow, because you know, I want you guys to always feel like you can be a part of the show and you know, in our act and uh, you know, there's some people who get really mad on the text line though, and they like if I don't read what they say, and it's usually what's funny is they usually are the people who like will insult me, which is fine. Again, questions, complaints, compliments, insults, it's fine. And I think it's been proven that you have a better chance to get on the air if you are agreed disagreeing with something I said, or you know, maybe you know, self deprecation is not something I have a problem with on this show. I think that's been pretty clear. But like, you know, like if it doesn't get read, you know, maybe bump it up, maybe you know, just realize they've got a three hour show to do and we can't fit everything in. But you know, to take it personal and lose your mind, I mean, chill, just chill, or you could maybe help us make great radio and just call in and share what you want to say because we can yell at each other. That seems to work. I didn't want to give out a body back today, but Danny, he asked for you said it, John, We did ask he was asking for.
Speaker 4: The American Athletic Conference.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's one thing, and I actually think he was being sincere, but like you know, he wanted to share what I think he thought was a strong opinion, but like he had like basic facts very wrong. So anyways, we're out of time. You guys, enjoy your Wednesday. We're back at it tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety