Speaker 1: Weather time Brokening Day, We're gonna survive. I'm confident sa by the rain anyway. Showers become possible after two pm acord to channel nine, and it'll be a high of fifty eight showers overnight with mostly cloudy skies, otherwise in the lower forty eight. Tomorrow morning showers followed by partly cloudy skies in a highest seventy three. Fifty seven overnight with some clouds and some rain is predicted for Saturday. Lots on Sunday. Saturday's high seventy seven thirty eight degrees. Time for traffic from the UC.
Speaker 2: Help Traffhics Center.
Speaker 3: For National Doctor's Day Sunday, we honor the u SEE Health physicians who are leading breakthroughs from better Tomorrow's learn more at UC health dot com. South Bend seventy five break flights through Wachland northbound seventy five. You can add an extra five between Donaldson and downtown. That's an improvement. Southbound two seventy five continues slow at the Lawrence Park Ramp down to the Carroll Croper Bridge, Chucking Ram On fifty five KR.
Speaker 2: See the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey thirty coming with a thirty one pick above Kercity Talk station always made a better day because this is the time of week we get the opportunity and the privilege and pleasure of talking with iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay rattlif Jay, welcome back, my friend.
Speaker 2: Great heaving you on today.
Speaker 4: We get to talk on opening day as well. That makes it a double nice thing.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna be in are you You're not at the Southern Command so you're in town?
Speaker 2: Are you going to the game by any fans or the prey?
Speaker 5: We are not.
Speaker 4: And I've gone to a couple of opening days and it's it's just been incredible. But this year now that but you know, we've got the Atlanta Brave season tickets, so we will be going to that opener next weekend. But no, we're in Cincinnati and joining this wonderful weather that we have here. But I'm excited. I mean, I work with Boston radio stations and Cleveland radio stations and they both say to me, Jay, you don't understand what you've got that manager. They took our young team and took us to the World Series. You guys have our young team and it's not going to be like the Reds of old and of course I want to believe that, but you know we swallop and feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football, and you just don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a good parallel right there.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a perfect analogy for all of us that follow and plead for the Reds to win anytime this century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the one moment in time, you know, we have they haven't played a game yet, we can think about the idea and the concept of the Reds getting a pennant, right, you know, it's like making it all the way so and that that quite often is a fleeting hope. Anyhow, fingers crossed with the Reds this year and flip, we got a whole bunch of topics today which I dearly love. Jay ratlifts and I commented out loud earlier it's like every time I talk to you, I've got this sort of running checklist reasons to fly and reasons not to fly. Number one on the list reason not to fly taking off from a taxiway.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, this one defies my ability to understand.
Speaker 5: I know you have a highly trained well, I mean that's what they're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be right, could be an equity higher.
Speaker 4: Well, let's hope you're in the cockpit of a commercial airliner and you're in Orlando. It's nine thirty in the morning, so it's not night. You don't have the sun in your eye at sunrise, and you turn onto a taxiway and you actually start a roll to take off and it takes an alert air traffic controller, thank you very much, that shut them down and fast to keep them from taking off.
Speaker 5: Now understand that a taxiway would.
Speaker 4: Be like you and I going down a one lade road versus an interstate that has four lanes, And how you could.
Speaker 5: Mistake that for that?
Speaker 4: I just it just it just boggles my mind because as often as these men and women fly and you pull out on taxiway, you're obviously on that one lade road. You're obviously not on a runway. It's not anywhere near us. I mean, it's at least three to four times wider than the taxiway, doesn't.
Speaker 1: It Also isn't it also illuminated with different colored lights being a taxiway, night signs.
Speaker 4: That tell you, the big signs that tell you turn here. Yeah, I mean they're out there as well as far as as everything is just labeled out there, and I can only think back and it's been like twenty five years ago that we had something on the West Coast. I don't know if it was China Airlines, China Eastern, somebody that did take off from a taxiway and they were able to do it successfully. There were no injuries and nobody got hurt, no aircraft damage or anything like that. But you know, the taxiways are the things at the airport. When we're moving around the airport, we're coming up on an active runway, we request permission to cross the runway from air traffic control if you're on the ground or if you're in an aircraft. Now, if you're in a taxiway, it's a little bit different, meaning that if you've got somebody rolling down a taxiway, you could have a piece of ground equipment out there, you could have people working on the runway, you could have another aircraft that's positioning going where it's supposed to. But the Southwest Airline Slights was stopped from taking off. They were turned to the gate as they needed to, The pilots were replaced as they should have been, and there's an ongoing investigation. I've got students that work in the airline industry and some of them for Southwest that are captains, and they're like, Jay, I just I don't understand this one. I just do not, because I always trying to figure out, Okay, what could have led to this kind of a mistake right taking place? And the first thing I thought of was that, no, not That might have been a later thought, But my first thought, tragically was the Common Air crash.
Speaker 5: In Lexington, because one of the contributing.
Speaker 4: Factors of that aircraft disaster when that crew lined up on the wrong shorter runway and took off didn't have enough room in the plane crash was they were talking about things that didn't pertain to the operation of the aircraft. Generally, Vace administration has a very clear sterile cockpit rule and that says from the time you push back from the gate until you're at an altitude of ten thousand feet, every single thing that's discussed is only regarding the aircraft fashion. I like that that's the rule, but they didn't. That was one of the things that didn't happen on the Common Air flight. They were talking about everything, but and they those distractions cost live. So one of the things I'll look at here was what was a conversation going and did that lead to some sort of distraction that caused this crew to make a mistake. But Brent, I just it's beyond my ability to comprehend this. I've seen crews try to land on taxiways like at night it's brightly lit, and I kind of get that, as far as sometimes initially you would line up for the wrong thing, but to take off from one in the middle of the morning, No, this one I've never seen before.
Speaker 1: All right, well, coming up, don't forget your passport. Eight thirty six just above cares DE talk station and they'll go.
Speaker 2: Away, be right back, fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Over it in day showers impossible after two pm. That word possible, and I'm going to say they're not happening. High on fifty eight today, overnight little forty eight with some showers, seventy three tow with morning showers and cloudy sky's after we got Claudia every night down at fifty seven, and maybe some rain on Saturday as well. I have seventy seven right now, thirty six degrees in traffic tart.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Tramphing Center. For National Doctor's Day, we honor you see Health physicians who are leading breakthroughs for better Tomorrow's learn more at u see health dot com.
Speaker 2: Stap found seventy.
Speaker 3: Five slows for an extra three to four through walkland sing for North found seventy five Buttermilk into Downtown roads are now closed around the Finlay Market to get ready for the parade. The next big time check will be at eleven fifteen when the parade route closed US down. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR scene the talk station.
Speaker 1: Keep your Stupid Mouth Shut at eight forty fifty u KS talks Day did I had an international listener. My friend Keith, who listens locally, was in Tokyo last week. He let me know he was listening to the program in Tokyo and his iHeartMedia app Jay and he just let me know. You said they would landed in Dallas Fort Worth on their way home. Pilot had to abort the landing of the last mon because the plane turned into their runway. He said there was the pilot of the plane was not happy, so Dallas Fort Worth on that one. I didn't see anything in the in the news on that, but seems.
Speaker 4: It's a runway incursion. They happen every day, oh com news. And all it does is really tick off the crew because then they have to power up, go back around to get in line and then land. And of course if you're making a tight connection, thank you very much. Now you've got ten or fifteen, maybe twenty minutes actly tacked onto that, which just takes you off even further. But everybody needs to be safe.
Speaker 1: So not unusual is the operative point here. So that happens every day. Okay, all right, sadly it does. I don't like it, don't minimize it. But yeah, well at least he got out of the situation. Okay, Yeah, don't forget your password passport? You think a pilot would like have that as a first order of business, Jay, Most pilots have it in.
Speaker 4: Their go bags, so they never it's their airline ID and their passport at their international crew members. And I mean we had a United flight on its way from Los Angeles to Shanghai. United Airlines takes off there into the flight when woops is to determined, one of the pilots forgot the passport, so they divert over to San Francisco, laying the passengers dplane, they have to have another crew member who is properly documented to get on the plane and off they go, and it's like a fourteen hour flight. So again you would think that that would be something that they would have. But Brian, the most I guess unusual twist of the story is that it happened twice in one week to United. Now, I don't think the other one was that they got airborne. I don't believe I could be wrong there, but it happened twice in a week, so you only had one occasion but a second And of course my initial thought is, and I've got friends at United. I've been asking about this, don't we check the pilots like we checked the passengers. Don't we make sure that they have proper documentation like passing because a lot of times you just flash your airline ID and boom on you go as far as through the gate area. But I don't know, so I don't know enough about United's procedures. I know what we did at Northwest, but that was a gazillion years ago as far as what the current United procedures are. But I can tell you if the procedures are that they don't check passports. I can guarantee you now that they probably are, especially on those international flights, to make sure that the pilots.
Speaker 5: Have everything that they need.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess we've really irked the Canadians off. I see that the number of flights between Canada and the United States is down seventy percent.
Speaker 4: It's it's you know, I knew it was down, but when you look at the numbers, it's it's unreal. Last March in twenty twenty four, when we're looking at April bookings between Canada and United States, there was one point two million it's that had been booked for travel for April this year, We're looking next month and it's not one point two million, it's two hundred ninety five thousand.
Speaker 5: Hum.
Speaker 4: Now, part of this is a reduction for the demand and travel. The economy slung just a bit, and some of it as Canadian carriers have cut back in part because they're irritated over politics, and now they're simply saying that, you know, there's just not the demand there. But the numbers are actually a seventy five point seven percent production in tickets booked year. Every year and that floored me. I knew that it had been down a bit, but right, I didn't think it was down that much. But that's what the numbers show. So yeah, now people still are going, you know, up to Toronto Boom or Montreal and using that as an international hub and going to Europe in other different places. But when you're talking about point to point travel just between the United States and Canada, yeah, it's down big time.
Speaker 2: That's amazing to me.
Speaker 1: Anyhow, here's a really important topic. And I talked about that Boeing seven thirty seven Max case. They didn't bother telling pilots about the software changes that ultimately led ultimately led to two plane crashing and multiple loss of lives. They want to withdraw their guilty.
Speaker 5: Plea, yes this work kind of my blood pressure you gave my friend.
Speaker 4: Yes they are because finally Boeing, after admitting that day in essence, covered things up from the Department of Transportation, from the FAA, from pilots, from airlines, and from the public about all the deficiencies that were involved in that Boeing Max airplane that crashed, killing more than three hundred and forty people. Boeing struck a plea deal last year that included four hundred and fifty five million dollars in their words to improve safety and compliance over three years of court supervised probation as well as supervision by some independent.
Speaker 5: Monitor for three years. And it didn't really please the.
Speaker 4: Victims of the seven thirty seven Max crashes that are that are suing Boeing because this was in their eyes, and I think it's an accurate assessment, Boeing was doing this to keep it out of court. They didn't want to have the court process, all the documents poured out, all this stuff going public to remind everybody of how four years Boeing was hiding the deficiencies from everybody that was buying their airplane as they were simply trying to mass produce as quickly as possible these deficient aircraft that they knew had problems that they planned on fixing them sometime in the future. Well, now Boeing, under a very friendly Trump administration, has decided, no, we don't want to do that anymore now, Bryant, I don't know if I'm reading the tea leaves here right, but it's as though Boeing is perhaps looking for a sweeter deal under a less restrictive administration. Now I don't know if that's accurate, and please tell me if I'm all wrong here, But you and I talked about how when the Trump administration we knew it was coming, airline stocks went up, yet airlines donating to the Trump Inaugural Fund, Boeing donating to the Trump and Augural Fund, the idea being that, oh, this is going to be like to bide administration. This is going to be a business airline friendly administration and not holding our feet to the fire like we had before, which again I complimented to bide administration repeatedly on that. So am I wrong? Boeing is trying to walk this back because they think it's it's a more friendly environment for them.
Speaker 1: I just think it puts some more in the spotlight and minds the American public that, look, this is what they did, and they didn't most fundamentally bother telling the pilots what was going to happen with this software upgrade. I think it's an extraordinarily stupid move, but it'll play out. We'll find out ourselves. Let's pause, we're bringing back and one of the things we'll learn to the next segment with Jay Rattliffe don't make bomb jokes eight forty six fifty five k see the.
Speaker 2: Talk station fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: One more time for the weather for opening day and the parade. We got a chance of rain showing up around two pm, but it's just past fifty eight is going to be the high against some showers every night, dropping a forty eight morning rain tomorrow with party, cloudy skies after seventy three fifty seven overnight with some clowns and highest seventy seven on Saturday, but it comes along with a chance of rain closing out at forty degrees. Time for final traffic.
Speaker 3: Chuck Ingram from the U see up Tram thing center from Answerdom Doctor's Day, We honor you see health z who are leading breakthroughs for better Tomorrow's learn more at you see help dot com.
Speaker 2: South pound seventy five.
Speaker 3: Slow's a bit out of Lockland northbound between Buttermilk and downtown. I'm seeing some slow traffic westbound two seventy five at Kelogg. I'm looking for a problem on the bridge. Chuck Ingram and fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey forty nine coming on with an e fifty fifty five Kercity talk station talking with I heard media aviation expert Jay Ratliff pull host topics this morning and something I think you alluded to last week the Southwest Airlines suggesting they may need some smaller aircraft. I think you were kind of excited about that, I am, because.
Speaker 4: You know Southwest they fly to seven thirty seven, so that's the only thing they've They did play seven seventeens briefly when they gobbled up air Tram, but it's it they get rid of those. It's a seven thirty seven fleet, has been for fifty seven years. Southwest is saying that there are certain markets that the demand for seven thirty seven just isn't there. Some of these smaller regional airports, it would be great if they had, like a seventy seat aircraft, something that accommodates something closer to one hundred seats, which obviously is not the seven thirty seven. So when the demand is that low, Southwest has to make one of two options choices. Do we continue to operate with more seats than the market needs at that time of day, or do we pull out of the city most of the time it's going to be the second option. We're going to take that aircraft and crew to another market where our yield or profit or passenger is where it needs to be. So now Southwest is saying, maybe we need to look at a different sized aircraft. Now that would mean a non Boeing seven thirty seven. It might mean a Bombardier aircraft or Embry air it could be an airbus. Now a lot of times you would look at this saying that's just you know, Southwest being clever and trying to, you know, negotiate with Boeing. Put a little pressure on them. I don't think. So this is not the Southwest of old. This is now the Southwest that's going to be charging for check bags in May. The Southwest has gone to assigned seats. The Southwest it's going to offer a pre amium seats. The Southwest they've been laying off employees for the first time in their history.
Speaker 5: I think they're serious and.
Speaker 4: They could actually look at using smaller airplanes, and I really think they should. There's certainly an operational advantage when you don't have one type of aircraft, when you're talking about ground equipment, training and all the things that go along with having a very consistent fleet. But when you're talking about making as much money as you can, it's a lot like when we trade stocks, Bryan, there's certain stocks that you can make a lot of money on and some you make less, and you adjust based on that particular opportunity. Right with airlines, it's the same thought process. There's certain cities you make a lot of money if you go in, but you can't do it with larger aircraft than what the demand is for there. So for smaller airports. I hope Southwest goes this route because I think that it would allow regional airports to enjoy the Southwest service and the lower fares instead of perhaps losing that service altogether.
Speaker 1: Makes sense to me, I understand, and I've understood for a long time. You don't make bomb jokes at the airports. Got a woman who found that out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's only fifty five. I mean, obviously she doesn't know better, but she's at the airport. She's got three bags and she's consolidating them to two. She's trying to save money. She's talking to the gate agent, and I guess in the course of the back and forth, she made a comment about, well, you know, it's gonna be challenging because of this bomb I've got in my bag. And of course the minute you say those words, everything stops. The police are summoned, you're taking away, they question you, anybody that's with you goes with you, and you're gonna miss your flight, maybe not fly at all. So she kept saying, oh, no, no, no, it's a joke. But Brian, I cannot tell you the number of times that we've had people that, you know, maybe they're nervous. People sometimes say stupid things when they are nervous and they try to joke their way out of it. And there's been so many times that that's happened. I used to tell our boys when they were growing up, I will kill you. I will literally kill them if you use the word bomb. And you know, because kids, how the kids are, Oh, Jay, I didn't you don't want me to say this word. I told them, no, we're not gonna be tomorrow's story, so I just don't do it. In fact, Shery was traveling one time with bath bombs and the TSA asked her what they were. She says, I can't tell you, and the agent says, well, you're gonna have to take. She goes, I can't because my husband said, never use that word at dinner. So she finally told him it was bath bomb's little bath busies that you put in to bath, you know, when you take a bath. But yeah, you just don't use that term.
Speaker 5: This lady did. And it's just a reminder of how you try to make a joke.
Speaker 4: And it's not like going to inconvenience you, but probably every single person in your party. So even though I don't want to see Joe's you know clip there, Yeah, keep.
Speaker 1: Your mouth shut, keep your stupid mouth shut. And at fifty five, yes, she should know better.
Speaker 2: And I know you said that.
Speaker 1: You said that with your tongue in your cheek. Anyhow well, I guess yeah, we get in the remaining time, we'll just go ahead and let you do, because then we got another subject here. But we'll let you do the hub delays because we always done on that top shop Dick and Romas out of time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chicago and Houston, especially Houston. So Houston getting absolutely hammered. If you're flying United Airlines connecting through Houston, get to the airportal lecture early today. They may decide to do what's called an online reroute, getting you to your destination through another hub. Because Houston's just gonna get hammered through the rest of the Chicago's going to get a look, kind of a glancing blow later in the morning, but Houston clearly the problem.
Speaker 5: Child of the day.
Speaker 2: Appreciate what you do. Jay Ratliff.
Speaker 1: It's always a pleasure to have you on the program, and I look forward to next Thursday like I always do to talk to you. Have a great week weekend, and a happy opening Day to you brother as well. Thank you, Thanks man coming up an eight fifty five fifty five K city talk station great show today. Thank you Joe Strecker for lining up Todd Zenzer. What an eye opening conversation it is every time we talk with the former inspector general host of the Citizen Watchdog Project because he is City of Cincinnati should be thanking Todd Zenzer for everything he does exposing fraud, waste, and abuse and insanity. Talked about the new Sports Arena, among other things, and we had Corey Bowman back in the program, coming off heels of the debate with have to have pro ball Corey Bowman dot Com help him out and of course that conversation with Jay Ratliff at the podcast page fifty five krs dot com. Tomorrow is Tech Friday. We'll hear from Dave Hatter as we do every Friday at six point thirty and other guests. Thank you, Joe Strecker speaking to guest. Thanks for running down and doing the rundown and producing the program. Love what you do, my friend. Folks, have a great day, have a great opening day. Fingers crossed for the reds and Don'tko Wegg glen Beck's coming up.
Speaker 3: A full rundown and the biggest ten lines just minutes away at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you a fact now, Americans shouldn't know. Fifty five KRS the talk station. This report is sponsored by