Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or turn a lit countries are.
Speaker 2: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now? Here's Nick Coffee? All right, Happy Halloween. Everybody.
Speaker 4: Welcome into a Halloween edition of Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us on a very disgusting Halloween afternoon. We're gonna take you up till six o'clock, So take us with you wherever you go. Whatever you're doing here on Halloween. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at seven Louisville dot com. And I mean, how fitting is it that if the rain doesn't stop, which, by the way, I haven't left my house since earlier this morning. It's disgusting outside right now, and it's like that lingering rain that looks like it's not going away. It's just gonna linger for the rest of the day. I hope that's not the case. But on your drive in, was it disgusting for you?
Speaker 3: John? It was?
Speaker 1: And you could tell that the people on the roads had not been used to driving in the rain based on the fact that I was in quite a bit more traffic as opposed to usual.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, especially whenever we haven't had Yeah, as you said that, we haven't had rain in a while, and I mean I feel like any we could have rain every day, then it would still cause issues with people, you know, deciding to go twenty miles per hour slower than the speed limit and all that. But just think about how cold hearted mother nature is. She's a nasty woman. Because we haven't had like good rain in a long time. I mean, it seems like it's been forever. I don't really remember the last.
Speaker 1: Time weekend of Louder than Life because it was a torrential downpour.
Speaker 3: That's right, Louder than Life.
Speaker 4: We got an insane amount of rain, and then I don't I mean, I'm sure it's rained since then, but nothing like that, and really nothing like what we have going on right now. So if it doesn't stop, the rain will have returned and will just ruin Halloween for everybody like it. I mean, if it doesn't slow down, which I think the last time I checked, there was like a window of like five to seven pm where maybe it wasn't gonna be as bad and then it was gonna pick back up a little bit later on. If that works out, then we're gonna be lucky. And that would be I guess best case scenario considering you know, how bad it's been so far today. But I mean, that's that's awful, and it's again it's Mother Nature's fault. She's she's a nasty woman. I mean, think about the timing of that like that. It couldn't have worked out worse.
Speaker 1: But rain some holidays, no matter what holiday it is, it really diminishes the vibes of whatever it is we're celebrating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, like you can you know, Halloween, is there another holiday where you kind of like you need to be outside? I mean, any other holiday you can celebrate, you know, do what people typically do to celebrate that, and you don't have to be outside. In fact, you're typically not outside. But I mean, I guess maybe fourth of July like that would be one that stands out as a holiday where you'd like to be outdoors, lighting off fireworks, all that kind of stuff. And you can do Halloween stuff indoors, like haunted houses, and I know there's trunk or treats that take place actually indoors, not outside, but like going house to house trick or treating like we've done as a society for I don't know hundreds of years. However, long Halloween's been a thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you need.
Speaker 4: Good weather, and we haven't had good weather on Halloween in a long time. And it's a real bummer this morning when I took my kids to daycare, In fact, I didn't take my kids to daycare school today. They were off school today and my son decided not to go to daycare because he wanted to go to his nanas. So I had two different drop offs this morning. And honestly, the weather couldn't have been perfect, Like, it wasn't too cold, it was gloomy, I mean, it had the look of Halloween. And then of course the rain came, and you know, it sucks for everybody, but again we're we're expecting it to slow down. Well, I haven't looked at the app in like two hours, but not looking good right now. And I'm in a cave whenever I'm there at studio with you. But I'm also in a cave when I'm here at my house where I do the show. So I have no clue. I mean, I don't have a window or anything, but I'll check periodically because I mean, the weather needs to improve. It would be real sad if we get this consistent rain that we've had for the last couple of hours, If we get that the rest of the night, it's gonna be a real bus kill, no doubt. All right, Lets mentioned we're gonna take you up until six o'clock. We got a couple of guests set to join us today, so at three twenty five ish, we're going to talk to Alex Cupper. We talk to cup each and every week to get set for Louisville football.
Speaker 3: And he would be the one that could answer the question.
Speaker 4: And it's something that I've been thrown out there, not really as a question, but I've been mentioning it all week, started on the postgame show on Friday night. Beating Boston College is nothing to brag about, and being down twenty and not even covering. I mean, it's not really an impressive win in any way as far as the actual result, But I'm hopeful that Cup will confirm what I am wishfully thinking, and that is that the way in which they were able to dominate the game after falling behind twenty to nothing. And I say dominate because again they were down twenty to nothing and ended up out scoring them, what thirty four to seven the rest of the way or something like that. So again, it's kind of what you were supposed to do. And I make quite clear throughout any conversation about that game, like it's not like I'm saying, Wow, they really turned the corner. But they have the opportunity to use what they did there as the springboard to potentially put together a complete game, which they've yet to do all year. And there's no better time than now to put together a complete game when you go on the road to play Clemson, who is playing probably I mean, I would say they're playing close to as good as Miami right now, but for what it's worth, Clemson hasn't had the close calls that Miami has, and even when Clemson's had years where they look totally different than what they looked like during their great run there with Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence, and they're not that now. But even in years where you feel like, man, Clemson, man, they fell off like, they're still.
Speaker 3: Winning eight nine games.
Speaker 4: And even in those years where you feel like they fell off further than they actually did, they still don't lose very many games at home. So it's gonna be a tough game. But with Cup, I mean, he'd be the one that can you know, he can't predict the future and tell us what those guys in the locker room are going to do. But it has to be motivating for these guys to see that they were able to erase a twenty point deficit, really when it seemed like the season had crumbled right before our eyes when they got down twenty to nothing. I mean, I'm pretty sure just about every Louisville fan watching, I know there are some that are just eternal optimists and they just refuse to ever accept that Louisville could lose the game until it's actually over. And I'm not making fun of those people. I just there's some people that are wired that way. But everybody other than that group of people had to think, Man, this thing really went off the rails. Not only have you lost three games before we got to November, but you're down twenty to nothing on the road to a team that's not very good. So it would have been easy to just mail it in. A lot of teams kind of do that. I was expecting them to do that, but they didn't, So again wishful thinking on my end. We're gonna find out though, because Saturday at Clemson, that'll be our first opportunity to see this team. Since they're come from behind victory, and they could play well and still lose because Clemson's good. I just it would be another punch to the gut for them to finally put together a complete game. And again, when I say complete game, I don't mean play perfect, because they're never gonna be perfect. I mean just to avoid mistakes that seem really avoidable, Snapping the ball over the punter's head, committing silly penalties that end your drive or extend the drive for the opponent. I mean, sometimes turnovers happen, but sometimes these turnovers haven't really been you know, the defense just making a play. So like if they do in fact put a full game together, they play well, and they come up just short. I think we can say two things. One that that would you know, that's a step in the right direction. They played a complete game, they avoided many avoidable mistakes. But the loss there would put you at what five and four, and it would be again another punch to the gut, salt to the wound, because you would look back on those other losses earlier this year, you know, at least I would. I guess you all can do whatever you want. But for me, if they play really well, maybe they play their best game of the season, but they still lose because they're at Clemson and Clemson's playing really good football right now. I mean, I would go back to the mistakes you made at Notre Dame coming out and not being ready to play at all against SMU. When it comes to defense, I mean, I can't remember a team scoring as quickly it's easily as SMU did on their first two drives.
Speaker 3: Miami. You did make it.
Speaker 4: There was a critical stretch there with the special teams penalty that backed you up inside the five, and then you fumbled on the first play. They scooped and scored. I mean that was That was a killer. But other than that, I feel like they were pretty sharp. They were able to go back and forth. I mean, they had the huge special teams play. The issue in the second half was just you couldn't tackle anybody, and you know, you were able to match them, but they were just a little better than you offensively and you came up short. So if you finally put one together and yet you come up short, because hey, what are you gonna do? You're playing at Clemson and they're a really good team, I mean a little too late, right. I Mean it's not to say they couldn't potentially finish strong and went out. I mean easier said than done. But man, it like, let's just say that's the scenario and you do end up, you know, finishing in the ACC. Let's say you end up beating pitt and you beat Stanford. You would finish with what you finish five and three in the ACC. And that's not a bad record by any means, but it would just feel like a big letdown. I wouldn't be panicking and worried as if, like, oh, do we have an issue here as far as being right about Jeff Brown not being right? You know, like, is he the guy for the job, but like is our ceiling high with him? I wouldn't be worried about that. I mean again, I don't know, but it would just be such a frustrating result knowing that, you know, from where I sit. Again, it's on the couch watching the game. I'm not out there coaching or playing. But some of the things that this team has done this year, I just, you know, mistakes happened. Nobody's perfect, but they've just had a blunder of issues that I just, you know, it's not These aren't.
Speaker 3: Things that you just expect to happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, you don't go into a game thinking, hey, for sure, we're going to snap the ball over the punter's head. Here, our quarterback's going to take off for fifty yards, probably the longest run of Tyler Shuck's career, and then he just coughs it up. So I'm anxious for this game on Saturday. I said it yesterday, and I mean it even more today. I am more excited for this game than I have any game all year. And it's not because I'm thinking they're about to pull off their best win of the season and really get this thing headed in the right direction as the season's wrapping up, because I don't know if that's going to happen. I mean, I believe they can. I'm not ready to say I believe that they will, but I just want to see, and we'll find out pretty early. They're gonna be on the road, toughest environment probably a lot of these guys have ever played in, and we'll know pretty quickly if they're if they're ready to play all right. Coming up at four oh five, we'll talk to Kent Spencer from w h AS eleven. Notice I was I was courteous to our guest today, John. I made sure and booked them early because you know, they got they got kids. They want to do the Halloween trick or treat thing they do, although I guess they're going to be doing it in the rain.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll have our guest early on. We'll let you guys be a part of the show.
Speaker 4: You can text in anytime on the Yellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. We will open up the phone lines once we wrap up our conversation with with Kent around four point thirty, and as you as you guys know, we are fueled by Thornton's, so make sure you keep that in mind. And if you haven't signed up yet to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program, I don't know what the hell you're doing. I mean, I'm not really sure what else I got to tell you for you to realize it's something you should have done long ago. I mean, it's on you at this point, but you still can. Luckily they're still letting you sign up, save money on gas, and just take in all the great things that come with being a member of the Thornton's Refreshman Awards program. Don't don't forget about their food options too, because they've got some delicious food options right now. You can get three of their taketos for just three bucks and they're good. They've got beef and cheese and there's I think a chicken one as well. Who called in the other day. They just wanted it to make fun of me for how I said to Ketos John.
Speaker 1: I don't think they came on the air, but they a random.
Speaker 4: It was a random caller that just wanted to just I mean, they wanted to call a radio show, but not come on the air to correct me on how I what did I say?
Speaker 3: Tutos show?
Speaker 1: And he was gonna make fun of you by saying something about quiso or quaso as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, fair point.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't call it quisos, so why would you call it tqutos. That's I mean, that's that makes total sense. But like if you're gonna be on alert listening closely for me to say something stupid, I mean, you're gonna be You're gonna be pretty busy. I mean, were they like be at a jerk about it? Was this correction police? Or were they just having fun?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: They were just having fun.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me if they were like you on the air, but i'd tell you off these okay, good.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people just want to call and they just want to talk to you, Like they're not interested in coming on the air. They just want to they want to they want to make fun of me in a private conversation with you while you're working.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is pretty aggravating. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but there used to be people who wouldn't want to come on want me to forward over a message to you, and it usually is something that's not that important and it would just waste my time. And sometimes you and I are in a conversation when it happens and throws me off of what we were talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I need some balance because you're too It's not that you're too nice, but like you would be well within your right to just not answer a phone if you're in the middle of doing something with me, or you know, if somebody wants to chat with you, like you'd be well within your right to say sorry, I'm gonna put you on hold, and then we'll just leave them there until maybe we bring them on. So you know, it's just you being a nice guy. You're a nice guy. My previous producer, the Marvelous One, he hated callers and did not shy away from letting them know that. I mean, I don't think he ever answered the phone and said, hey, seven ninety KRD, I hate you. But like if you called and he answered, it was gonna be pretty clear he wasn't really wanting to have any kind of a conversation with you, and he was actually mad that you that you called. So I need balance because you you sometimes end up just you know, having a hard time telling people, hey sorry quit yapp and I got to go back to the show.
Speaker 3: What you do, It's just not your nature.
Speaker 1: One thing I've learned to do with people, and I don't do it every time, but one thing I've gotten better with is sometimes if we you and I are chatting, I'll just see the phone screener light up and immediately put them on hold and get.
Speaker 3: To them later.
Speaker 1: But sometimes they drop off. If I do that, they can then won't talk to him. So I gotta find that balance as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well just put this there's there's never been I think a caller to the show that we needed, if you know what I'm saying, Like obviously you know the postgame shows, those are caller driven, and we have we actually have some regulars now, which is, you know, I think is what you'd expect with this show becoming what nearly two years old now. So we've got regulars and they're great, and I don't mean like that they don't contribute to the show, but like you know, it should always be like secondary thing for you because you you're part of the show, right, I mean, And actually, what makes me more angry than anything is when I shouldn't say angry, although it is. He does bother me and you know that. But like when you're on the air and somebody just barges in your studio, is if like there's no way you could be in the middle of a sentence with me and it irritates me. But anyways, we'll move on. You remember, was it yesterday the day before it was National Internet Day? I think it was two days ago, Yes, I think it was. And I was talking about how I don't know how anybody really did anything before the Internet. But I don't know anybody ever did live radio before the Internet. Like if I don't have some kind of connectivity or something to reference on the Internet. I mean, even my notes are on the Internet. Like if I use Google Docs to prepare for the show. Believe it or not, I do prepare for this show sometimes, but if I don't have Internet, I can't access Google Docs because it's you know, it's an Internet based document. So like, I don't know how anybody did it before. And now I have Internet, But like my computer, my laptop is going so slow. I feel like I'm back on dial up. I'm gonna reboot it during our next break but I mean it's never I mean, maybe it's because I got like fifteen windows open, but I usually do, like I'm not doing the show for my end any different now than I usually do whenever I'm doing it from home. But for some reason, I can't, Like everything's loading slow, like I'm dragging things to across my screens.
Speaker 1: It's all the spirit's coming out for Halloween, interfering with your internet connection.
Speaker 4: I was I was editing video earlier, which does take up a lot of my computer and does make it move a little slower, but I closed all that out, so I don't know. Maybe I need a power down power up, A good old power cycle can help us. But again, like if I didn't have internet or computer or even my phone, because I can use my phone too, but like I, for some reason we had no connectivity, I would just be I don't know, I'd probably just I mean, I'd be sitting here spinning my wheels, not knowing what to you know, not knowing what to say. And it's not like I couldn't eventually think of something Like it's not like I literally read word for word what we say on the show. I mean, it's not that at all. But I think it's the knowing that I have lost connectivity and I'm just like a I don't know, I'm like a robot, that is.
Speaker 1: When it keeps you on track too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, So I'm gonna have to reboot here at some point.
Speaker 3: All Right, it looks like we've got I just checked that.
Speaker 4: This may be a little old, but I'm seeing some lines here for the first time for college basketball. It defaults when I go to to FanDuel A defaults to go to college basketball, because that's what I have bet on more than anything, is college hoops. And we have some opening lines Kentucky minus twenty one and a half against Wright State on Monday. Louisville's is not listed yet here on FanDuel. I don't know if it's if it's up anywhere else, but I was gonna I was actually going to see if there's any update to the spread here for Louisville because I know they've been a double digit dog throughout the week. I don't anticipate that will change, and I think that that may total sense. Yeah, they're ten and a half point dogs in this one. Kentucky sixteen and a half, which I'm looking forward to talking to kent a little bit later on, because I know Kentucky's had struggles in a variety of ways, and really, this is the first time where I feel like Mark Stoops is having a I mean, he's had rough seasons before, but more I mean, the type of season they're having now is similar to what they had when he first got there, but since they started going, like since they went to a bowl game for the first time, whenever that was. You know, this is the worst year they've had since then as far as how it's playing out, and there really isn't any like, you know, not to say that they should have beat Georgia or anything like that, but like they probably at this point have better players than Auburn. They probably at this point have better players in South Carolina Florida, you know, kind of a kind of a coin toss, because they've always always recruited well. But what I'm saying is like this is a year where they're struggling, and you can't just say, well, it's the same old Kentucky who just doesn't have good players and can't compete with the rest of the SEC, which is something wrong. But what I don't think is wrong is quarterback play, and it sounds like they may go back. I mean, they already are going back and forth with both Gavin Wimsett and Brock Vandergriff, and Vandergriff hasn't been great, but like, I don't feel like they're in the position they're in because of his quarterback play and no offense to Gavin Wimsett. He clearly gives you a different dynamic. But the young man was really really bad as a pocket quarterback at Rutgers and now he's in the SEC and anytime they ask him to pass the ball, you kind of feel like, hey, did they put somebody that's not a quarterback at quarterback? Like he just doesn't look the part and he's not accurate, and nobody ever thought he would be a guy that's out there leading the Kentucky offense utilizing a really good arm. But I mean, if you want to win any games moving forward, you're gonna have to utilize Dane Key, who's playing really good football right now, Barry and Brown, who at any moment can can make a big play and change a game. And I don't see how you could utilize those guys with Gavin Wimst, Like I feel like Brock vandergriff is your best bet to finish the season strong. I mean, going to a Bowl seems unlikely for them at this point just because of you know who they have to play, but you know, maybe they do pull off an upset.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: I said this yesterday, and I'm not gonna be shocked if it's already been said elsewhere or it starts to get mentioned tomorrow. And it's not because I think people are stealing my takes. But whenever you feel like Kentucky's about to get murdered in the last few years, maybe even further back than that in the Mark Stoops era, they usually end up surprising people and playing well. I mean, look at the look at the Georgia game. I mean that was I mean that was maybe the best example of it. The Louisville game last year. I mean they weren't really actually yeah, they were coming off the loss to South Carolina. I believe last year who was really bad. So I mean I don't expect them to win, and I certainly wouldn't touch this game as far as a wager, but I mean I won't be shocked if they end up competing more so than some expect.
Speaker 3: Like, put it this way, I won't be shocked if.
Speaker 4: This thing ends up being closer than Florida, maybe even closer than the Auburn game. That would mean they cover, though, because they're sixteen and a half point dog. Would they lose to Auburn by two scores? I think it was something like that. So anyways, I can't believe it's already Thursday. We're just a couple of days away from more college football. The season's going by too fast, John, have you noticed that?
Speaker 3: Like it?
Speaker 1: I mean, it has gone by fast, but I'm as always enjoying the ride with my hoosys, right, But don't.
Speaker 3: You want it to slow down? You're having the best season of your life.
Speaker 1: Is in the van point though, Like I'm like, I want to see the postseason. What's that going to look like? You know? Yep?
Speaker 4: All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Talk to mister Alex Kupper. Keep it locked right here. It's coffee and Company. Phil about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Welcome back into a Happy hallowell a Halloween edition. Happy Halloween, everybody, I can't speak. It is Halloween, and it is coffee and company as we take you up until six o'clock. Shate you hanging out with us. Hopefully this rain goes away, Well done, John. I just I'm hopeful that we we get at least at you know, hit pause and let it stop rating for like an hour. We can get an hour between like five and eight o'clock. It's you know, somewhere within there. I think that would be I mean, it wouldn't be perfect, but he'd be better than what's going on right now. All right, let's let's bring him in to talk some Louisville football. He's a former Louisville Cardinal, former NFL offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Mister Alex Copper. Happy Halloween, cup. How are we doing?
Speaker 4: Brother? Hey?
Speaker 2: Happy Halloween?
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all right. Hoping we can get a dry spell so we get the kids around and they can enjoy the holiday.
Speaker 3: Well before we get into football. I know.
Speaker 4: The question I've been eager to ask you all day is what are your kids being for Halloween?
Speaker 2: The older one is the World Series Champion show heo Tani nice ye, which he actually he could kind of fall for it. He's a little taller, he's bigger, you know, for his age or whatever.
Speaker 3: And he's a winner straight air.
Speaker 2: Yeah not definitely doesn't speak Japanese, but they'll.
Speaker 3: Have to clean up that.
Speaker 2: But and the younger one is going to be Lamar Jackson, so.
Speaker 3: Oh great, great, great choice? Have you have you?
Speaker 4: Have you dressed up with them? Like have you all done costumes together to where like it's like a theme thing?
Speaker 3: Have you? Are you one of the dads that's been sucked into that yet not.
Speaker 2: As that was more in their earlier years. Are getting a little getting a little older.
Speaker 3: They're too cool for that now, right, that is cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was gonna plan on being the FBI agent that was after Otani You wearing an FBI jacket.
Speaker 3: Oh that had been perfect. Yeah, that'd have been perfect.
Speaker 2: But no, we did that when they were younger.
Speaker 4: I uh, I was at Churchill Downs on Sunday. They had a little Halloween uh trunk or treat thing for the kids while racing was going on, and I saw a few families and I felt like it was a dad moment for me because I was like, you know what, like we should have done that. And usually I would have been like, honey, you're not making me dress up in any costume? But now, like you know, as a dad, you evolve over time. But I'm sure, but you know my kids now wouldn't want to be dressed up with me because you know they're doing their owning.
Speaker 3: They're getting older too.
Speaker 4: But let let's let's start with what happened at Boston College last last Friday, because uh, you would be able to answer this better than anybody else that I know. Louisville beating Boston College not a real impressive thing as far as just the overall win, because you know that's what they were supposed to do. But is it fair to say that if these guys have the right mindset about it, that the way they kind of came together and really played their best football defensively as far as consistently in the second half, clearly the offense has been playing well. Again, the win itself is not anything that impressive, but like am I am I reaching when it comes to looking at that, the way it played out, the comeback, the way those guys were bouncing around carrying themselves out there, not only at the end of the game but after the game. Could that be a moment if they choose to utilize it as as the moment that maybe they start playing complete games and you know, not not me perfect, but at least clean some things up and maybe start playing their best football moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely, when whenever you whenever you can go on the road and get to win another one, that's two in a row. Now, it just instills so much confidence that you know, you have that ability that hey, this this is you know, this is us against the world kind of mentality. You know this, how are you going to show up? Who's going to show up and really perform? And those kind of moments and right now, you know a lot of a lot of guys did last week, and and the defense has shown and special teams have shown that they are you know, they are able to go on the road and do and perform their perform at a high level and perform at a level that can get you in. So yeah, it builds confidence within the team, uh, knowing that the I mean and you you could see it, just see you know, we use us in your eyes and seeing like the talent disparity and just we we should we were better than that Boston College team. So if we were going to leave there with a loss, it was going to be very detrimental, and it did feel that way just based on you know, some of those errors we may turning the ball over and and you know, not not locking it down on fourth down. So yeah, they're those are all things that can be cleaned up and will need to be cleaned up if you even want to think about having a shot at winning this week.
Speaker 4: So the defense, I mean, I think they're they're a question mark as far as how you would describe them or assess their play at this point, because I mean, I don't think they're great. Clearly the results would tell you that, but like I also don't think that they're terrible. I think what you saw in the second half really after Boston College's last score was their most consistent stretch of play maybe maybe all year outside of those first two games. Did you see any I mean, look after that last touchdown Louisville in thirty eight plays, gave up sixty eight yards and no points. That was the final six possessions for Boston College. Clearly you're going to be facing a much tougher offense against Clemson, But did you see something with the defense as far as schematics, like a scheme change or just mixing it up because I mean I feel like if they play the way they did in the second half, I mean, it'd be a big game changer moving forward.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, and I think you know, more than anything schematically, Yeah, there's some there was more some more downhill play from the linebackers. I mean, I think I think that's pivot if you're if you're waiting for the play to develop and and the offensive you know, the offensive lineman want linebackers to kind of sit back so that they can set up their blocks. And there's there's cutback lanes, and there's there's there's natural running lanes that develop. So playing more downhill that's not as much comatic as it is just you know, being more aggressive at that position. And they tackled, They tackled so much better a car across the board, you know they did. They didn't play as talented as a group as they did against Miami and some others, but there was guys in space that you just got down, you got on the ground, you tackled well in the box. As I mentioned, those those linebackers playing downhill helps. But then the D line, D line actually you know you saw the surge and you saw them you know, getting in and disrupting run lanes, and then and you know on the back end, you know you play, you played better, played better coverage and were able to make tackles and not let guys work free. So no, there's there's a lot to be gained from just an overall mindset of Hey, this is what you need to bring. This is the type of events you need to pack if you're going to try and win games on the road or at home.
Speaker 4: Alex covers our guests joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Clemson before we talk about the team this year and obviously the challenge level was going to have on Saturday. I know you've gone to Clemson at least once, maybe more than once when you were doing the color analyst work with Paul Rodgers. And I know you've played in a lot of big time environments, and you were in other environments as a broadcaster during your run working for u of L. But I mean, is Clemson where does it rank as far as the best college atmospheres you've been to, regardless if it's you playing or working in the booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's just the big time atmosphere is so much I mean it's it's carved right out of the SEC mold. I mean, obviously it's in It's right down the way from Georgia.
Speaker 4: It's probably the closest thing to it as far as a team that's not in the SEC.
Speaker 2: Right correct, very much, even I mean Tallahassee doesn't even I mean, it's still big time. There's so much aura and prestige about it. But when it comes to just overall fan presence and you know, more of an not as I mean intimidation sort of, when it comes to how daunting it is, so you know how big the stadium is and it gets packed in there very loud. Those are all the things that I can recall being just totally different. You know Boston College, you know, there's a different, different type of atmosphere. Yeah, they're excited about football, they don't love it. It's not in their blood like it is done Clemson in other places.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I wasn't there, but I would say despite it being a loss, that Lamar and Deshaun game from twenty sixteen, I mean, I think again, despite it being a loss, there's still many Louis of fans that claim that's the best atmosphere that they've ever been in. And it wasn't just because of the crowd, but like that game was was insane. So I'm happy to hear that there are a lot of louisvill fans going. And by a lot, I don't mean you're going to see a ton of red there, but it's the type of experience and trip that you know, if you've made arrangements, even though the season probably hasn't gone like you would have expected at this point, you're still gonna go.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, I mean, and you look, you look at the look at the TV schedule and those those folks typically are trying to predict, you know, what kind of major moments you're gonna you're gonna carve out of each time slot and and putting it where they did and and slot and hit SMU to agency network. I mean, they're they definitely have a feel that Louisville can be competitive and make it a game and make it something that's very entertaining to watch, which you know as a fan, that's all that's all you want. You want to go down there. You want your team to compete at the highest level against against the best competition and on the on the biggest stage. So that is that's why you book the trip like that, and and everybody that's going should be should be excited and and you know, pumped up for what they're going to see.
Speaker 4: Since losing to Georgia earlier this year, Clemson's played a lot better, looked really good. Their offense has been very powerful, and their defense is never an issue. I would not say that they're unworthy of their ranking or anything like that, but I do think it's also something that's kind of hard to ignore that and it's not their fault. Doesn't mean that they're not great. They may win every game the rest of the season, but they really haven't had a tough opponent since they played Georgia.
Speaker 3: Do you have much of a feel for this Clemson team.
Speaker 4: Obviously a good team, but I can't tell if they're closer to the team that you know, in the second half really struggle against one of the best teams in the country Georgia, you know, or if you know it's the other way around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think when you when you size them up and look look at look you know, up and down the depth chart, it's this is going to be an extremely talented team similar to what what you face Nerding, probably a little more speed on the outside and a quarterback that can stretch the ball down the field. So it's this is it's something where they I mean they stacked up well against Georgia. They just you know, Georgia got them off their spot and was were able to take and complete control of the game and put clubnicking situations he didn't want to be in. So I think you trying try and design that mold. Obviously we don't have the the the kind of personnel Georgia does, but you can use some strategic things that Kirby Smart likes to do to get a get a quarterback uncomfortable. I mean, it starts with winning first second down. You know, if he if he's hanging out and third and medium, third and short, they're gonna be able to do their play action. They're gonna be able to do their fake screens and and and get the ball in space to their playmakers. And that's that's gonna that's gonna create some some tough situations for our defense. So it all all starts there. But I think offensively, Shucked should be the best quarterback they've seen since Carson back. So that's that's something where you know you want to you want to go on with a great defense. You want to go on with a quarterback that's that's willing to lay it on the line and make big time throws and big time moments.
Speaker 4: Pro Football Focus they put out their their quarterback evaluations up to this point, and both club Nick and Shuck we're in the top ten. So it's going to be a battle between two really good quarterbacks at this point. Do you think, given your your time in the NFL and you're you know, you know much better than I, do you think Tyler Shuck is an NFL quarterback?
Speaker 3: I think he? Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously he knock on wood. He's trying to maintain that he can have a full complete season health you know, health wise. Uh, he makes He makes all the throws he needs to make. You know, could he could he have a little better velocity of you know, getting the ball out of his hand. Sure you know that those are all things that you know, keep the premiere and elite guys like Jadon Daniel's spindle flickers, wrists and Lamar the same thing on just that natural arm talent. But he is creative, and he does show moxie when it comes to having having a vision on where to where to place the ball in in the pocket and then in the receivers, you know, in the receiver's window to pick up third downs, which is the biggest you know, it's the money down. Obviously in the NFL, if you can face pressure and meet that pressure with accuracy and quick hands, that's that is what they're looking for in the NFL. If you can't throw it a million miles, that's okay. If you make up for the other two things.
Speaker 3: One more for you, Cup.
Speaker 4: When it comes to Saturday night, let's say Louisville ends up holding on pulling off an upset the first time ever that they would have beaten Clemson. I'm asking you to predict the future if that happens, how'd we get there? Like, what what do you think would be something we're really emphasizing was the key as far as this game. Obviously, you're going to need to be pretty good at just about every spot. Right, that's that's the kind of opponent you're playing in that kind of environment. But if if in fact, my postgame show late into the night is one that is celebratory. What do you think who do you think we're given or what do you think we're given the most praise to.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it goes without saying that you have to have a fast start, but I think it would be to the defense. You have a you have a pick six, you have a fumble return for a touchdown, something crazy to start the game, which which immediately sends that fan fandom into just a you know, a complete, you know, dysfunction where they're like, oh my god, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And then that's matched with a great running game. Yeah. I mean, if if it becomes a shootout, I don't like our odds. Obviously we can, We've seen how that works. But I also don't like us coming from behind. We definitely have to pull ahead and get them off their spot and keep them off their spot. If if you're letting them just play downhill, run the plethora of defenses they want to run. Same with offense, we're going to be in for a long day. That's it's just it's just how we would make up it would it would feel very very similar to kind of how SMU in Miami were able to maintain the rhythm of the game offensively, defensively, whatever they wanted they could do. You got to take control of this game at the very first whistle.
Speaker 4: Cup, Good stuff, Enjoy Halloween, my man. Always good to chat with you, and now we'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Brother sounds good man, you two.
Speaker 4: It's Alex Cover former Louisvill Cardinal. Always appreciate him making time for us. Good stuff there. I think he's right when it comes to a shootout. I don't love Louisville's chances against a lot of teams because not their offense. I think their offense has shown that they can strike and not necessarily go score.
Speaker 3: For score with anybody. But they have the ability to do it. They're built to do it.
Speaker 4: The defense is where I worry if he gets to be a shootout just because you know, I mean, we've seen how it plays out. As Cup said, all right, quick break will come back on the other side. Wrap up the three o'clock hour, don't forget coming up to get the four o'clock hours started. We're going to bring in mister Ken Spencer of Whas eleven. We'll get his thoughts on the Kentucky side of things as they're facing a tall task on the road at Tennessee, and who knows what else we'll get into with Kemp, but stick around again. It's a Halloween edition of Coffee and Company. Philbeth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety I don't remember the last time I had success wagering on football on a Thursday night, but you know what, I'm gonna do it again tonight. I don't have much confidence really with anything I'm betting, although in college football I've done a little better as of late. I've had a couple of wins in the last couple of weeks as far as you know, a couple of two leg parlays, so you know, it's not as if I'm losing every time.
Speaker 3: But Thursdays have not been good to me this year.
Speaker 4: But I feel like this two lane Charlotte game tonight, which is the only college football game that we have tonight on Halloween. I know Charlott's at home and TWU Lane. I know the record is not have to pull up the record. I know earlier this year they taking some losses. Yeah, ok, yeah, the two losses they've had are have been I think, just some pretty good teams. So they nearly beat Kansas state, which they should have to be honest with that game earlier this year was when I got to see a good chunk of so Charlotte stinks? Was it bif Pogy? Is that the name of the head coach Indiana beat the beat them bad earlier this year, which that's all Indiana does is beat the breaks off anybody they play in football. Which it's crazy to say it out loud, but it's true. Two lane minus fourteen and a half. And I know John Summral's team doesn't necessarily is that where he is now? I think he left Troy to go to tu Lane. I mean fourteen, it has a lot of points, but I mean Charlotte's thinks.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have to reconsider that one. But it seems like a like a like an easy play. And then in the NFL, I have no confidence in anything I bet on in the NFL. And and you know people say this when they're trying to, you know, make a bad joke about how bad they are in betting. And I've done it many times too, like, hey, do the exact opposite of what I do.
Speaker 3: Fade me.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make a wager and then change it at the last minute, because that's how bad I am. That really is how I feel like I should be betting on the NFL. Like I'm not even trying to make the bad joke, Like whatever seems really obvious in the play ends up not working out. And not only with teams not covering as favorites.
Speaker 3: There was one week earlier.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're still relatively early on in the NFL season, but I think it might have been Week three. There were only three teams that were double digit favorites and they all lost outright, Like anytime it seems like it, you know, you might start to get things to kind of balance out and you start to feel okay, yeah, anything can happen in the NFL.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 4: But this is who you should expect to be towards the bottom of the league.
Speaker 3: Here is a huge.
Speaker 4: Group of teams that are kind of mid and then you've got, you know, a small group of good teams. And then you have like, I don't know, maybe two three teams that you feel like, if they're at their best, they're the elite tier, Like I don't know where anybody truly belongs, Like I feel like the Broncos suck this year, the Broncos are five and three, Like, how's that? Like, how do the Broncos and the Ravens have the same record? And I'm sure there are many people that follow the NFL that could have told you the records, but like, I don't know, Like I Baltimore maybe the best example because they were playing the best football in the league for a few weeks, but they also lost their first two games of the season, so it's been tough to figure out. I'm not somebody that just is willing to give Aaron Rodgers this this brand bump if you if you will, I mean maybe, I mean Baron Rodgers one of the best quarterbacks I've ever watched play, but the Jets are not good. He can still make some throws at times, but like he does think that he's not good enough with this team to just go out there and you know, start winning games with the elite cou play. And yeah, they've made some you know, I mean when they have two games now with DeVante Adams, they've lost both of them, I think.
Speaker 3: So the Texans are good too.
Speaker 4: So it's in New York and the Texans are two and a half point dogs.
Speaker 1: But you know, again, if I were betting on this game, I'd be taking the under because even though the Texans are good, they're without an Ego Collins. They're also without Stefon Diggs tonight, and so I'm just thinking the offense may not be there for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that may be the safer play, but who wants to bet the under? I mean, that's that's no.
Speaker 3: Way to live life. It's no way to go about life.
Speaker 4: But sometimes it's the In fact, anytime I bet when it comes to doing totals, which I don't do much of those anymore, but when it comes to doing totals, I would bet that any well eighty percent of the wins I have had when it comes to over or unders have probably been unders, which again, like, if you win, that's all that matters, but it's not all. It's not an enjoyable experience to watch football or basketball when you're hoping teams don't score, but hey, it's still exciting if you end up winning, and I haven't done enough of that this year. When it comes to, you know, betan on football, I really can't wait to start betting on college basketball. That's I mean, because really it's every day of the week, like every day of the season. There's games going on for the most part, and I typically do better at college basketball when it's more of an obscure opponent or obscure matchup. I should say, not necessarily the big names, but at FanDuel there's no line for Louisville and Morehead State. But if you missed it earlier, and maybe this has been out there, but I just saw it for the first time, you've got Kentucky's twenty one and a half point favorites over Right State. Right State's usually a pretty good team in the horizon. But this is what I've learned in recent years as somebody who does follow college basketball pretty closely. I don't say that to brag. It's probably not something to brag about. I'm a nerd when it comes to college hoops. But these mid majors that typically, for you know, sometimes decades, always were in the top tier of their conference. You know, every five years they're winning three of the league championships to punch their ticket to the tournament. That's just not sustainable anymore because of the portal like these teams are having to start over like a lot of I mean, they're probably getting gutted more than most, So, you know, I feel like Wright State's typically been one of the better teams in the Horizon, but I don't know, maybe they lost everybody because again, obviously, if you're playing in the Horizon and you have a good year and you got a chance to go to a higher level, higher level, most of these guys are going to do that. So at noon on Saturday, Chris Mack will make his return to college basketball. Officially, it is the very first game of the college basketball season, Charleston taken on Southern Illinois. I think that game's being played at like a casino in South Dakota or something like that, so I think it's also going to be I think the broadcast is Field of sixty eight. I don't know if it's through YouTube or if they've got like a streaming if they've got a channel on one of these streaming services. But on Monday, if you want to watch some afternoon college basketball.
Speaker 3: You can do it. I'm gonna be watching, but you know.
Speaker 4: It's because I love college hoops and you know, I want to see how coach Mac does.
Speaker 1: Do they still do the twenty four hour marathon?
Speaker 4: No, they got rid of that and I hate that they did that, but that was I mean, it was it was an event, right. It wasn't like it was great college basketball around the clock, you know, for twenty four hours. I mean the games you would get in the very odd times to play a game would be teams you've probably never heard of. But it was like an all day event and it brought so much attention just I mean, it wasn't like everybody was stopping what they were doing, but it being a known thing for however many years they did it that there's gonna be college basketball on for twenty four hours consecutively. Like all that does is bring potentially more eyeballs, more exposure to your sport. And I feel like college hoops has always needed that when it comes to, you know, bringing more people to the game. We around here we're gonna watch it regardless. But it always makes me sad during college basketball season when I travel and realize, wait a second, nobody cares about college basketball like we do. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and welcome in mister Kent Spencer from Whas eleven.
Speaker 3: Keep it locked right here. It's Coffee and Company.
Speaker 4: Feel about Thornton's On Sports Talks seven to ninety