Speaker 1: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gaesy, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker VTK Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. Caroline Fraser grew up in the shadow of Ted Bundy, the most notorious serial murderer of women in American history, surrounded by his hunting grounds and mountain body dumps in the brooding landscape of the Pacific Northwest. But in the nineteen seventies and eight, Bundy was just one perpetrator amid an uncanny explosion of serial rape and murder across the region. Why so many? Why so weirdly and nightmarishly gruesome? Why the senseless rise and then sudden fall of an epidemic of serial killing? As Murderland indelibly maps the lives and careers of Bundy and his infamous peers in Mayhem, The Green River Killer, the I five Killer, the Nightstalker, the Hillside Strangler, even Charles Manson. Fraser's Northwestern death trip begins to uncover a deeper mystery and an overlapping pattern of environmental destruction. At ground zero in ted Bundy's Tacoma stood one of the most poisonous lead, copper, and arsenic smelters in the world, but was hardly unique in the West. As Fraser's and Vents instigation inexorably proceeds, evidence mounts that the plumes of these smelters not only sickened and blighted millions of lives, but also warped young minds, including some who grew up to become serial killers. Murderland transcends true crime, voyeurism and noir mythology, taking readers on a profound quest into the dark heart of the real American berserk. The book you were featuring this evening is Murderland, Crime and Bloodlust in the Time of Serial Killers, with my special guest, Pulitzer Prize winning author Caroline Fraser. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for this interview.
Speaker 3: Caroline Fraser, thanks for having me, happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, and congratulations on murder Land.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. It was a fascinating project to write, although it took me in some unexpected directions.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the origins before we get into this incredible story. But just tell us how you came to be the author of this story, How you came to be again, the author of Murderland.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest in Seattle, in a place called Mercer Island, which is a suburb of Seattle in the middle of Lake Washington. As I was growing up, some of these things happened. You know. I was thirteen in nineteen seventy four when Ted Bundy began committing the crimes that would be attributed to him, although I think he actually started much earlier than nineteen seventy four, But in any event, I certainly remember that time. And in the years after that, people began asking the question why are there so many serial killers in the Pacific Northwest? And this was, you know, something that came up over and over again in the press. The newspapers would revisit this question every you know, couple of years and print lists of how many serial killers there were in the region. And I'd always kind of wondered about that, like what accounted for this? Was it really a thing or was it some kind of you know, urban legend. So that was sort of in my mind for a long time, and I worked on other projects, very different kinds of things. But during COVID particularly, I was looking for something that I could work on from home, and I began looking at that question again and just trying to investigate both the number of serial killers and their individual stories in the Northwest and see where that led.
Speaker 2: You. Right early on in this book that you are an amateur cartographer and you draw lines and make maps. Tell us about your early map that you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, I had seen on various websites. It's well known where Ted Bundy grew up in the city of Tacoma. For example. He wasn't originally from there. He was born in Vermont and spent a couple of years in Philadelphia, but then ended up about the age of five in Tacoma. And so I looked at where he was living in Tacoma. I was struck by the fact that another very prolific and well known serial killer, Gary Ridgeway, was also from that area. That he grew up just a couple miles east of SeaTac the airport just north of Tacoma. And then another thing that I learned about more recently was the fact that Charles Manson had spent a significant amount of time being incarcerated on McNeil Island, which is just off of Tacoma. So then I had these three points on the map of where these three guys were, and it was really quite striking how close to each other they were. And that was a map that sort of sent me back to the drawing board, if you will, to think about the question of is there anything these guys could have been exposed to that would have led to where they ended up.
Speaker 2: You read about another map, they call it the Owl. Tell us about this owl and its relation to what you were just speaking about.
Speaker 3: The owl refers to the something that's called the Olympic Wallawa Lineament, which came into being when a cartographer, a man who drew maps professionally back in the forties. He was drawing a map of Washington State and the northwest, very very detailed and quite beautiful map. You can still see it online. As he was finishing this map, he happened to kind of glance across at sideways and saw a line that goes from the very top of the northwest tip of Cape Flattery. That's really the north westernmost point of both Washington State and the United States. And this this line, this depression in the map that he noticed kind of cut southeast down across the state of Washington and kind of carved it in two. And he was so intrigued by this, which was really just created by, you know, a kind of depression in the land. He was so intrigued by this that he called it the Owl, the Olympic Wallawa lineum and he began theorizing about what it might be. It probably he thought it was probably a fault line. I think most people now think he was probably right about that. There are many, many fault lines that cut through Washington State, and many of them have only been discovered recently with the kind of light art technology that can see beneath the surface. And it has been discovered and is quite a cause of concern that there are so many fault lines in Washington, particularly lying under very heavily populated parts of Seattle, that it is felt that this could create quite a terrible situation if there's another really big earthquake, the way there was about seven hundred years ago. So I used the Owl as a kind of image of both the perils of the natural world in that region, which were certainly in some ways taken advantage of by these serial killers, because one of the things that both Bundy and Ridgeway, for example, did was to take their victims out into the woods and dispose of their bodies in places where they would not readily be found, and that made it particularly difficult for any forensic investigation to take place. So the owl is really kind of a metaphor for the hazards of this region.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some of the writing you have in a chapter called the Smelter. First off, tell us for people that don't know what a smelter is. And you take us to Philadelphia and you posit that you're not quite sure if it's Lloyd Marshall or Jack Worthington, the father of Ted Bundy. But you take us to Philadelphia and the smelters and the situation there. You say, the city is full of smelters. Tell us what this is. You've called it a commercial volcano. Tell us what smelters are, their purpose? And Philadelphia and Ted Bundy's childhood.
Speaker 3: Ted Bundy of course never really knew who his father was, and I think this was a source of great kind of anguish and rage for him. He was born in a foundling home in Vermont. He was the product of some kind of either illicit relationship that his mother had or we don't know exactly, but she was sent to this home where nuns would take care of babies that were born. Legitimately, she left him there for a couple of months, then she took him home with her to Philadelphia, which was called the City of Smelters because it had more smelters than just about any other place, although I will say that at the time smelters were just everywhere. They were in every major American city, and what they were doing was producing metal. A smelter is designed to take in these rocks or ores from mines, the kinds of ores that have metals within them, and then they melt them down and this produces all kinds of different metals because the ores contain all these sort of associated chemicals and metal, So they contained stuff like lead, copper, arsenic, cadmium, and many many other metals, and they're burning them in order to separate the metals so that they can separate out. For example, silver evaluable metal. Gold, lead copper was very valuable so a lot of these these smelters specialized in one or the other metals, but produced all kinds of stuff, a lot of which was going up the smokestack, and Philadelphia's had because after the war it was producing so much from it smelters that had a great deal of lead pollution in Philadelphia, where where Ted spent a couple of formative years. And then when Ted and his mother went and moved to Tacoma, where her cousin lived, they were moving to another place that had an very very prominent smelter that belonged to the American Smelting and Refining Company or a SARCO. And that smelter was right in the middle of a very popular area, and Ted lived always within just a few miles of that smelter. And the thing that you have to know about lead is that it is associated and this has been proven by a number of scientific studies with aggression and violence in the people who were exposed to it, especially children. It's very dangerous for children to be exposed to lead because it really changes the development of their brain and their frontal cortex, and it causes you know, there's kind of a time lag of about twenty years. But if a child is exposed to lead at a young age and has that as part of their makeup, then by the time they're a teenager or a young adult, they may be showing some of the neurological signs of light exposure, which include violence, impulsivity, sort of an inability to control their behavior.
Speaker 2: You read about Charles Manson and his stay at McNeil Island prison, what is its proximity Tacoma to Tacoma and also how was Charles Manson and other prisoners exposed to lead and other chemicals from the smelters.
Speaker 3: Mcdeil Island is about. It was, for instance, about seven miles I think from where Ted Bundy was living. There was another maybe five miles to the smelter, so it was within about a ten or twelve mile radius of the smelter and its smokestack. So it was getting some degree of the fallout from that smoke stack. And the thing that was unique about McNeil Island is that the prisoners on the island were working in agriculture. They had heard of cattle, They had crops that they were raising, so they were raising all the food that they were consuming on the Islands, and the water that they were drinking was also from sources on the island, so they had to have been exposed to some degree to the fallout from that smoke stack. It's probably worth noting that Charles Manson, by the time he ended up on McNeil Island, was already an incredibly troubled individual. I'm not trying to say that what he did was entirely down to lead. He had a terrible experience as a kid and his mother, his teenage mother, ended up in jail when he was just three or four years old. He had been in and out of institutions all his life, born in a really poor coal mining town in the east, so he obviously had many many strikes against him. But I don't think the lead probably helped.
Speaker 2: You talk about some of the early effects that were seen by people that were working in the industry producing these chemicals, and just people their families and people in proximity to these factories as well. You say Ted Bundy's family in Philadelphia was only about four miles or less than four miles away from one of these plants. So what was some of the first things in the nineteenth or the twentieth century that people noted and what was the result of this sort of indication that there is some side effects to this industry.
Speaker 3: One of the principal products that was contributing led to the atmosphere early on was leaded gas. Leaded gas was developed in the nineteen twenties, although it wasn't under as heavy use then as it would be later. But immediately when the Company's Standard Oil and DuPont and so forth that we're developing leaded gas, when they started producing it in large quantities, they made some mistakes really in they didn't realize how grievously it was going to affect the guys who worked in these plants. Two or three occasions, they caused such severe lead poisoning in their workers that people they started having hallucinations, became quite violent and rapidly died. There were a number of people who died in several incidents in these plants, and some people, some of these workers who were so terribly affected didn't die, but were affected really for the rest of their lives. They saw hallucinations. Sometimes they called them the you know, the butterfly men, because they were constantly sort of seeing hallucinations of things flying around and would wave their hands at them. And they continued, some of these guys to work at the plants, but they were essentially really damaged emotionally and mentally by what they'd been through.
Speaker 2: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now. It's very interesting you spoke about this incredible effect of working with these chemicals and that being hallucinations, and I think that's very important for the case that you make in this book. And it's very interesting too that one of the principal criminals psychopathic killers that you focus on in this book is Gary Ridgeway and his proximity to Ted Bundy and McNeil Island and Charles Manson. But tell us also, as you write Gary Ridgeway was experiencing hallucinations as well. So tell us a little bit about Gary Ridgeway, where he lived near Seattle and the hallucinations that he experienced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ridgeway grew up just a couple miles east of SeaTac at a time when aircraft jet aircraft were flying with leaded gas. He also lived in close proximity to a couple of major highways, including I five, and as an adult he began working at the Kenworth truck plant as a painter. He was somebody who sprayed the cabs of big trucks and painted them at a time when those paint formulations probably included lead, because lead had been removed from house paint by that point, by you know, the nineteen seventies, but there was an exemption that was carved out for commercial paint applications which would have included what he was doing. So he was he was exposed to lead in you know, at least two or three ways. And I'm not sure about the hallucinations, but he certainly did begin behave in a profoundly kind of robotic way, almost by doing the same things over and over and over again, capturing women who he'd picked up sex workers, runaway girls, enacting on them sort of the same behavior again and again. He did like to have sex with women outside, so he would often take these women out in the woods to have sex with them. When he was not able to do that when he had to take them to his house. He had one wall of his bedroom covered in a sort of silk screen photographic image of the woods, so that he could feel like he was having sex in the woods. In his House. Yeah, he was an incredibly sort of robotic individual who captures that sense. I think the a lot of these serial kills had of just being trapped in this kind of cycle of violence.
Speaker 2: Did you single out these examples of especially aberrant crimes and criminals such as Ted Bundi, Charles Manson, Gary Ridgeway, and then later on you write about Jerry Brutos and also Israel Keys. But did you single out these people to demonstrate something specifically related to these chemicals? In other words, are there extreme crimes related to what you consider extreme poisoning?
Speaker 3: Yes, I think to some extent. I was looking first of all at a lot of the serial killers who came from the Northwest, and looking at their proximity to either letted gat sources of gas with highways, or smelters. And then I began sort of opening it up and looking at some other places, like, for example, because I had spent a certain amount of time explaining the history of Asarco, the smelting company which was owned by the Guggenheim family, I looked at another smelter that they had in El Paso and asked myself, well, were there any infamous serial killers associated with El Paso, because I didn't know of any. As soon as I got into the research on that, immediately it turned out that Richard Ramirez, the so called Nightstalker, that he had grown up in El Paso, again only a few miles from the Asarco smelter, which was a huge landmark in that town and ultimately polluted quite a bit of El Paso and of the CEO DoD Warrez on the other side of the border. So that to me was very fascinating. So yes, I did tend to focus on individuals who I could tie to this chemical exposure. There are certainly other serial killers whose exposure I can't figure out, or you know, you know, maybe is a mystery, somebody like Son of Sam and those figures. You know, it's it's harder to tie them to this. But I think you also have to realize that during this period you were born, between the say, the nineteen forties and the nineteen eighties, everybody, no matter who you are or where you lived, everybody was exposed to letted gas.
Speaker 2: You talk about that Richard Ramirez's family just to lend some credibility to this exposure. You said the entire family had behavioral problems, at school and also physical ailments, but especially had all of them had behavioral problems cited at school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of a tragic tale because there were I think five kids in that family, and all of them showed some kind of pretty severe physical and emotional illness. Their mother was exposed to a lot of really damaging chemicals from working in a boot factory in El Paso when she was pregnant with Richard, and the father was somebody who was quite violent himself and visited a lot of of violence on the kids. Again, this brings up the question of how much of this might have been led, how much of it might have been other other exposures and other events, Because the FBI, for example, in doing their work on profiling, has often pointed out how many serial killers have had either physical or sexual abuse or both, maybe head trauma from beatings or other accidents or other sources that can cause neurological damage as well. So there's a whole host of things that may go into creating these patterns of behavior, and we it's very very difficult to tease them apart.
Speaker 2: You do state this case, though, that this predominance of West Coast serial killers and also the correlation between the proliferation of industries that spew this lead, arsenic, copper, all of these toxic chemicals. Yes, you write that also to sort of muddle the entire statistics, I imagine is lead gasoline. But you do state the case of the increasing industries and the chemicals that are spewed from their smokestacks, but also the fight for and recognition of these chemicals as toxins and the fight to have them removed. You talk about the formation of the EPA and before that, initiatives to try to clean up this industry that people recognize as absolutely dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean one of the really disturbing elements of the story is that from the very beginning, even in the nineteen twenty, there were physicians who were telling industry representatives and government officials that they should never, never, never allow let it casts to be sold, and that they should do everything that they can to lower the amount of lead in the environment, not increase it. Because it was well known that lead is a you know, led is one of the chief poisons that we have known about for centuries, for millennium. I mean, the Greeks and the Romans knew that it was very bad and arsenic. I mean, everybody knows that arsenic is a poison. And one of the things that happened during this period is that industry really developed all the techniques that we would be familiar with from our own time in terms of, for example, the bacco industry. You know, the ways in which industry tried to make these chemicals seem benign, like they weren't really a problem, like they existed naturally in the environment was one of the claims, which that's not really true, and it's not true because we haven't. You know, it took human beings to bring them out of the environment and to make them much more potent in their you know, inorganic arsenic, for examples, different than the arsenic that you find in dirt or sometimes in water or in shellfish. Inorganic arsenic is a product of industry and is much much more poisonous than organic arsenic. And so all the kind of misinformation that was being put out bond liberately by these corporations that stood to gain from smelters and leaded gas really did, as you say, muddy the water for decades and provided an excuse for what they were doing, which was really you know, a wholesale medical disaster, because things like lead and arsenic do not just cause the kind of behavior that I'm talking about. Lead causes all kinds of other diseases, causes heart disease, it's associated with als, it is something that you know can cause all kinds of respiratory problems, and likewise with arsenic. Arsenic is associated with lung cancer. So there are really serious health effects across the board from all these chemicals, and basically they were being foisted on the American public and around the world under basically the corporations were just lying about their effects and trying to convince people that these things were safe. They were not safe, and we're going to be dealing with the cleanup of these things for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop to hear these messages. Now. You read about the Clean Air Act and Water Quality Improvement Act teen seventy and in nineteen seventy one the Surgeon General decide no child should have blood level blood lead levels exceeding forty micrograms. In your research, you write about far exceeding that recommendation.
Speaker 3: It took me a really long time for the govern were meant to kind of catch up, i think, to where the medical community already was because there was so much pressure coming from industry. But yes, the creation of OSHA for worker safety, the creation of the EPA, and all the different regulations and legislation that was passed to clean up our air and water, those things all began running right into and against the interests of the smelting companies and the companies that were selling lioded gas. And there was a real period of ten fifteen years where they were engaged in a struggle political struggle really to try to prevail to enact safety regulations that would really try to reduce the amount of lead that kids, especially were exposed to. And this took, you know, an unconscionably long time, and it really was quite incremental. You can see the CDC over the decades lowering the amount of lead to which children can be exposed from you know, sixty to forty to thirty to you know ten, and now it's at three point five micrograms per desc leader of blood. But even that is considered too much because there really is no safe level of lead in the environment, and no safe level of lead to which children can be exposed, and this presents a huge problem for the government because trying to lower the amounts of lead in the environment is so expensive. You know, you're looking at all of the old lead pipes that are in public schools and old lead paint that are that's in military housing, and just I mean, the problem is so widespread that it costs millions and millions of dollars to address it.
Speaker 2: You're right that in Tacoma the crime rate rises twenty percent in nineteen seventy four, and you write never has the number of violent crimes been higher in America in nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nineteen seventy four I think as a real watershed year, both for the rate of violent crime in Tacoma, in the Northwest and across the country. And it is perhaps not coincidentally the year in which Ted Bundy begins this kind of series of of extremely high profile abductions disappearances of women. Of course, we didn't know then who he was. We wouldn't even know part of his name until July of seventy four, when he abducted two women from Lake Samamish on a hot July afternoon during an event in which thousands of people had gathered on the beaches of Lake Samamish, and he somehow abducted two women in separate events on that same day. And that's when the kind of news really exploded across the area, because that was kind of the culmination of a number of other abductions, including a couple of women in Seattle. And on that day a number of people heard him say my name is Ted, and so that was the first time anybody had a name for him, and the police were able to develop a couple of several composite drawings of his face, including one that was recognized both by his girlfriend and by a number of other people who knew him, including Anne Rule, the true crime writer, who had met him while volunteering at a rape crisis center in Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yes, very very interesting. You write that Ted Bundy lived near astonishing high measurements of two hundred and eighty three hundred and forty and six hundred and twenty parts per million of lead from this rust and smokespac that he lived nearby.
Speaker 3: Doubtless was exposed to lead, because we know now from the very detail GIS map developed by the Department of Ecology in Washington State we know how much lead was in his front yard and his backyard and how much arsenic and it was much higher than normal, So we know he was exposed. The question remains how much did that exposure influence his behavior.
Speaker 2: It's a very interesting point though, as well as getting back to Ted Bundy that you you said that Ted Bundy was reading True Detective magazine. Of course later he works with alongside and Ruhl, who is an author coincidentally writing for those same type of magazines.
Speaker 3: Yes, she says that he asked her once for copies of some of the magazines that she'd had articles in because he wanted to use them in his so called research. I mean, he was supposedly, for a short time was helping out with some research that was being developed about rape statistics in Seattle. Yeah, I mean it's just some extraordinary you can't even make out these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he read about nineteen sixty one, Jerry Brutos marries a seventeen year old in Corvallis, Oregon, and Jerry Brutos suffers blackouts. Reportedly tell us a little bit about where he is in proximity to the industries and near Tacoma. Tell us about Jerry Brutos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brutos didn't have a particular Tacoma connection. But one of the things that I found out about him from Anne Rule's reporting in her book lust Ca about Jerry Brudos was that he grew up in South Dakota, not far from what would later become a superfund site for its dumping of lead arsenate pesticides. One of the things that the companies were doing to sell the arsenic that they had left over from their smelting activities was to develop arsenic into a whole bunch of different kinds of pesticides. And when Jerry Brudos was growing up, like many rural farm kits, those chemicals were in heavy usage and a lot of kids were exposed that way, and I suspect that he might have been as well, since he lived so close to what would become a superfund site where the water had been contaminated with these kind of chemicals, and he had a number Like Richard Ramirez and his siblings, Jerry Brutos had a number of strange diseases and symptoms as a young kid. Also, as a young kid, he developed a fetish for women's footwear for high heeled shoes. He had a very harsh mother who punished him for wearing women's clothing and shoes. They then moved to Oregon and he became a sort of completely out of control character who would approach women in parking lots on the street and eventually did kill several women he encountered and was very interested in making lead paper weights from parts of their bodies.
Speaker 2: Incredible, that uses as an opportunity to stop to hear the messages. You're right about that lead exposure correlates with higher adult crime rates, but you talk about that in starting in nineteen ninety two, the crime rate starts to fall. What is the correlation with lead and other chemicals and the fight to have these chemicals recognized as the dangerous elements that they are.
Speaker 3: Leaded gas was removed from the market beginning in the mid eighties, and that removal was complete by the early to mid nineties. In this country, it had just become so apparent that lead was a danger in the environment and to human health, and they eventually succeeded the health community in convincing Congress and regulatory agencies that it had to be removed. So at the same time, the smelters started going out of business because the prices of metals had started to go down. They hit a real high in nineteen seventy four for various reasons, which meant that many of the smelters were kind of running flat out in the mid seventies. But then prices started to be affected and went down, and because of all the regulations, basically many of them just could not stand business and make a profit anymore. And so the Tacoma smelter closed in nineteen eighty six, and many of the other smelters around the country closed around the same time during the mid eighties, and that led to a very sharp drop off in the amount of lead in the atmosphere and also in our blood levels. So you start to see it go down very sharply in children's blood led levels, fortunately, and in everybody's And so that was when the so called lead crime hypothesis was born, because scientists looked at the drop off of lead in the environment and the drop off of crime and associated the two. And it's been debated ever since. You know, there are other hypotheses that point to other reasons why this might have occurred. There were a lot of police associations, for example, claimed that it was because policing increased and had a lot more resources and more people or being incarcerated. There's also a theory about abortion that has been very well publicized, but for reasons that I think I try to explain in the book a little bit. I think the leed crime hypothesis does have these other things may be a factor, but I think that the lead crime hypothesis has emerged as kind of a leading contender that in answering that question.
Speaker 2: You write that lead exposure in childhood is linked to brain volume loss. Where the subjects reach adulthood, the effects are particularly notable. You write in men, why is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the answer to that is still a bit of a mystery. I think that there are genes that have been implicated in this. In other words, if you're a male and you have lead exposure, and you have a certain genetic component that that may influence how you react to the lead exposure. But I think there's still a lot of work going on trying to explain that. It certainly is apparent from the MRIs. There's a guy who published a book a few years ago, Adrian Rain, called the Biology of Violence and He reproduced a number of these MRI images the scans in his book, and you can see that there is a sort of more marked difference between men and women, which is not to say that women don't have neurological effects from lead exposure. They do. Their effects seem to be organized more around impulsivity. And there are graphs that show, for example, a rye in teenage pregnancy during the seventies and eighties that correlates to the rise in juno delinquency and violent crime.
Speaker 2: But is there again, I'm probably asking the question again, but is there some form or deuced recognize an extremity and to the serial killers that you write about in this book, the prolific serial killers that are on the West Coast, and the profound effect of lead and other chemicals. Is there a correlation to the extreme nature of these particular psychopathic killers.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there is. And one of the things that I find so inescapable is the really bizarre nature of some of these crimes, yes, which don't seem to fit a mold either before or since. I mean, there was just something so unhinged about some of these guys and what they were doing. Really there was you know many of these crimes were sexual in nature. The kind of violence was so extreme, the sexual nature was extreme, and the extent, you know, just the sheer number of people who were involved. I mean Ridgeway for example. I think he pled guilty to forty eight or forty nine murders, but is suspected of far more, maybe twice as many as that. So there's something about that that just feels different and looks different. And I'm not a scientist, so I can't really line up what we know about le exposure, but I will say that they have now started to do some studies that show a connection between psychopathy and lead exposure, and that there seems to be a higher rate of psychopaths who have led exposure versus the general public.
Speaker 2: You talk about write about the Arisco the refinery, the smelter company, based on lawsuits, is going bankrupt in two thousand and nine. It yields the biggest landmark settlement in American history, one point seven billion. And you write, the money goes to nineteen states, Washington State getting the line's share, or a bigger share of one hundred and eighty eight million. This is about arsenic in lead. And you write, about that an area that was full of arsenic and lead. They built a luxury hotel and condos in that area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a very bizarre, bizarre phenomenon. I I personally can't go to that area and not see what used to be there. In part because Asarco the company, while it was in operation, they actually created a giant peninsula of land from the slag the waste products of the mining. Once they had you know, separated the metals out of it, they would dump all this stuff that kind of looks like gravel, you know, it looks like a sort of black gravel. And they dumped all this and it created this just giant peninsula. That part of it was used to create the Tacoma Yacht Club. The rest of it has now become this huge condo development, and I'm sure that the waterfacing units have beautiful views, but boy, I would not be able to live there without thinking about what I was what I was living on. There's also a fascinating park there called the Dune Peninsula because Frank Herbert, the author of Dune and Tacoma, and a lot of the stuff that he describes in Dune was inspired by the pollution in Tacoma.
Speaker 2: In the end of this book, just to add another example of an extreme psychopathic killer, you include a little bit of the story of Israel Keys. What's Israel Key's story of exposure, and just tell us a little bit of some of the extreme behavior that he exhibits in his murders.
Speaker 3: Israel Keys came from a very bizarre and reclusive family that moved to a quite a remote area in the northeast part of Washington State when Israel was just a young kid, and there was not a whole lot out there. It was near the town. The property they had was near the town of Calville and not that far from the Columbia River. And what I found was that one of the things that was out there was a smelter. The tech Cominko smelter, which is right on the border of British Columbia and north of Calville, has been in operation for decades since around the turn of the last century. It's still in operation. It has put enormous amounts of lead, arsenic and other contaminants into the Columbia which have all filtered down. Have been the cause of a major international lawsuit in which the Calville tribes in that area have sued because of the contamination of the Columbia River. Israel Keys grew up in this family that had to He was one of the eldest, and they had to provide I think most of their own food. I don't think that they did a lot of shopping and stores. They were sort of living in a remote cabin. I suspect that a lot of the food that they were eating, whatever they could shoot or hunt fish from the river was contaminated. Israel grew up to be one of the most bizarre serial killers in our history. We know very little about what he did and how many people he killed. He confessed to. He only named I think a couple of his victims. He was arrested and was going to go on trial for the murder of a young woman who was working as a barista in Anchorage, Alaska, when he abducted and murdered her, but he would never confess to the rest of his victims, which are thought to be maybe around eleven people. He seemed to range all over the country, committed a lot of armed robberies of banks. He committed arson. He had a plan to set off explosions at a federal building two of the guys who grew up with were the infamous Kiho brothers, who actually did commit a number of federal crimes and are now in jail for that. So boy, I mean, it's just a story that you just again, you can't make this stuff up. It is just so bizarre, and you wonder what went into that, what supercharged the sort of rage and murderousness of an individual like Israel Keys.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right. In the two thousands, oh, pardon me, and throughout the nineteen nineties nationwide, there were six hundred and sixty nine serial killers in the two thousands, three hundred and seventy one from twenty ten to twenty twenty, one hundred and seventeen, So a dramatic, somatic drop in serial killer numbers in America with no connection better than the story and the argument that you put forth in this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rise and fall of violent crime, the graph that that makes, the drawing that you can make of the rise of crime and then it's falling off in the nineties, and the rise of the number of serial killers and the falling off of that. You can put those graphs together and they look almost exactly the same, and they correlate so closely also with the rise of lead in the environment and the drop off of lead, and I find that quite convincing. I mean, I'm not a statistician, I'm not an epidemiologist, so I can't speak to how how well this association holds up. But boy, you look at that and you think, wow, there must be something to this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a fascinating exploration and investigation and a very very compelling argument that you put forth in this book. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about your new book, murder, Land, Crime and Bloodlust in the Time of Serial Killers. Can you tell us if you have a website, do any social media or where people might find out more about this book.
Speaker 3: Sure? Yeah, I'm at Carolinefraser dot net. That's my website. I'm on Instagram, Twitter, and blue Sky at the moment, and I'll be in Saint Louis tomorrow at the public Library for an event at seven o'clock I think. And I'll also be in Albuquerque the following week at Bookworks, the bookstore in Albuquerque for another event. So I have more details on that on my website and I'll keep posting about that on Twitter as well, so you can find the book anywhere and I hope people read it and find it as fascinating as I did to write it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Thank you so much Caroline Fraser for coming on and talking about murderland crime and bloodlust in the time of serial killers. Thank you very much for this interview and you have a great evening and good night. Thanks a lot, thank you, good night, good night.