Speaker 1: Forecasts really beautiful forecast next several days. Got a sunny day to day with the highest sixty seven, pretty much clear overnight down to forty three. Sunny tomorrow with the highest seventy three, clear overnight.
Speaker 2: Down to fifty four.
Speaker 1: And on Mother's Day sunny day seventy six for the high notice. There's no rain in the forecast. It's forty seven degrees right now. In time for traffic.
Speaker 3: You see how traffic center when it comes to stroke at the second counts. That's why you see health is the clear choice for rapid life satany treatment. Learn more at uc health dot com. Sethbound seventy five running a bit slow out of sing Fernard and so is inbound seventy four approaching seventy five into downtown. That's thanks to the funeral procession for Deputy Henderson. Northbound seventy five slows out of Irwin Er into the Cut and then again out of downtown to an accident near the Western Hills.
Speaker 2: Via doct website. Chuck Ingram on fifty five kr scene the talk station seven thirty one I fifty about krc DE talk station. Hope you're having a happy Friday.
Speaker 1: Something that's not happy a ultim diagnosis or dealing with a loved one that has Alzheimer's. It's such a nefarious, nefarious disease. Joining me to talk about some statistics and they are frightening statistics regarding Alzheimer's here in the state of Ohio, but also nationally. Ana Marie Barnett, she's the executive director of Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati alz dot org and then you can find the Cincinnati chapter at the national website. Animerie, Welcome to the fifty five Carosee Morning Show. Let me initially start by thanking you for what you do at the Alzheimer's Association.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much for having me today, and thank you for helping us spread the word and bring awareness.
Speaker 5: This is kind of takes. This is what it's going to take.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, having lived through with my father and you know watching my mom struggle caring for him, you know, you get to the point where you know the caregiver is is put in a state of medical jeopardy almost as much as the person with Alzheimer's, because it's really a twenty four to seven proposition dealing with the person that struggles with alzheim the care, the clean out, the trying to encourage them to eat when they won't eat, and you know, wanting to wander away. I mean, the problems are just unlimited. And so we ultimately had to put my father in an Alzheimer's care facility and that comes with its unique challenges as well. So I have a very close connection with him. Of course, this is what killed him ultimately, But he's not alone. I mean, my late father was not alone. The number of folks in Ohio alone with Alzheimer's Anna Marie.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and thirty six, two hundred is that number?
Speaker 1: Is it growing faster over the years, because I get a sense that you know, you hear about oh come on, the word slipping mind see here. I am struggling this morning as well. But the number of people with said various diseases seems to be on the increase. Autism is what I was struggling for. That's increased dramatically. Has the number of people with Alzheimer's diagnosis increased over.
Speaker 5: The years, Unfortunately it has.
Speaker 4: Last year in our stats, we reported about nearly six million Americans with the disease, and this year Unfortunately, it's seven point two million Americans living with Alzheimer's disease, and that that number does keep increasing. You know, we're seeing people age, you know, people are the age of sixty five.
Speaker 5: They're just growing and growing.
Speaker 4: But the other reason we're seeing the increase is people are getting an early diagnosis. People are talking to their physician. They want to know if they have the disease. We found that in our survey this year that one in nine people that we surveyed said I want to know if I had Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 5: So that is what we need.
Speaker 4: We need people to touch with their physicians. We need early diagnosis. And because we know we have some treatments out there, we know that there's some things that we can do. We know that people want to be in there in part of their care planning. And that's so so vital and so important for people to know early that they have this disease or another type of dementia.
Speaker 1: Do they go about diagnosing that you have Alzheimer's disease or that you are likely to get it? You don't contract it. It's just part of your genetic makeup, isn't it.
Speaker 4: That's yes, that's true. It is actually a disease. Your brain is physically dying. When you talk to your physician, it starts very easily as just a cognitive test. If the physician see something more, they'll send you for greater testing. Right now, the testing to determine Alzheimer's disease is either a PET scan, which is very expensive most insurance doesn't cover, or a spinal tap, which women would know. That's not the most fun thing to do. A spinal tap is not great. But the best thing right now is there's actually a blood biomarkers test. So I can you imagine, just go to your doctor, get your annual exam. While they're running all your blood for everything else, they can test you for Alzheimer's disease. And that is incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, that is I didn't realize they had gotten it down to as simple as a blood based test.
Speaker 2: Is it one of those.
Speaker 1: Potentially there could be a false positive or false negative type of tests. I always worry about that.
Speaker 5: Of course, of course, yeah, yeah, of course, nothing's perfect. Of course. Of course.
Speaker 4: You know, the blood bio marker test is not widely available in primary care just yet, but they are using it and research I know that our friends that you see are using it as well, but they're also using the other testing along with it, just you know, to make sure that the diagnosis is clear. They are still using a pet scan or a spinal tap. But the accuracy of the blood bio marker is is like ninety eight percent.
Speaker 5: It's amazing, and that's you know, think about all the people in the rural areas.
Speaker 4: That don't have access to you know, positions, and they don't have access to hospitals. You know, it's this is really going to, you know, be a game changer for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I'm vacillating back and forth in my head whether I would want to know, you know, everybody always has their quote unquote senior moment. I think, oh my god, is this an indicator that maybe the onset of Alzheimer's. But getting a definitive yes, you do, would I don't know. I don't know how that would upend my life or how I would react to that. Let's pause, We'll bring Anne Marie Barnett, executive director of the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cincinnati, got more to talk about it, more statistics to go over, and more information to learn about this awful, awful disease. Seven thirty six right now fifty five cares to the talk station. Hey, it is Mother's Day weekend tomorrow and Sunday, Mother's Day weekend, the full weekend, and you can get mom to shoot for free at twenty two three on row forty two between Mason eleven when she's the second shooter on a rented range. So mom's shooting for free. Maybe spend some time with mom. Maybe mom needs a firearm, Yeah, the great equalizer. Of course, if your mom's living alone, it might be a good thing for her to have a firearm. That's one thing to think about. But maybe mom likes to shoot. Maybe mom's interested in adding another firearm to a collection. They have a huge selection of firearms at twenty two three, the safest cleanest indoor range around and all lanes are pistol and rifle rated up to and including RE eight, so you got a full range of availability there. Plus it's just so clean. Hepa air filtered and the blood is are the unplode the air is completely filtered every few minutes. It's just a really, really amazing and clean gun range service. There couldn't be better. They have a gunsmith on site and knowledgeable staff that will treat you like family. It's twenty two to three dot com. The number twenty two fillo by the word three dot com online and out there in the World's on route forty two between Mason and levenon fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: You don't think about it, you don't talk about it, but Jen and I weather forecast.
Speaker 1: You gotta love this one sunny and dry day to day with a high sixty seven over nine kind of clear and forty three for the low. A seventy three high Tomorrow is sunny, sky's clear every night, fifty four Mother's Day, beautiful sunny day. It'll be dry as well. Seventy six for the high. It's forty seven right now. Let's hear about traffic.
Speaker 3: From the uc UP Tramphic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second count. So that's why you see help us the clear choice for wrap them by saving treatment.
Speaker 2: Learn more and you see help dot com.
Speaker 3: Northbound seventy five of slow go out of downtown to an accident at the Western Hills Viaduct that has had the left lane block. They're over on the right shoulder. Now have a traffic on Beachmont Avenue as the funeral procession for Deputy Henderson moves through Anderson Township. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC DEEP Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty fifty five KRCD Talk Station, Anna Marie Barnett, executive Director Alzheimer's Association with Greater Cincinnati talking Alzheimer's here, and the statistics are not pretty to look at. More and more people are being diagnosed with Alzheimer's. You did mention there is a blood test that you can have to find out whether or not you are we're going to get Alzheimer's, or have the indication you are. And I expressed, Anna Marie, some concern about knowing that, because you know, how do you live your life knowing the next day it may start presenting itself or you may start having problems. You know what the inevitable is going to be because at least as of right now, there's no cure for it. So first let me address the question for marine, is there a name for that blood biomarker test for Alzheimer's or you just ask your physician, Hey, including my blood results, I want the blood based biomarker test for Alzheimer's sure.
Speaker 4: Well, as I mentioned, it is not widely available in primary care physicians offices right now.
Speaker 5: Most of them are not familiar with it yet.
Speaker 4: We are actually in the process of creating some more guidelines around how to use the blood biomarker. So there are some positions I know that are using it, but they are also using it in conjunction with other testing just to get an accurate diagnosis. So you may go to your position and they may say, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: So we sell a.
Speaker 4: Little bit more time before we can get this widely available in primary care. But if you go to a homrologist, you can start asking those questions and they can start getting you a diagnosis much easier and much sooner.
Speaker 5: You know, it is going to be a game changer.
Speaker 4: It's a blood biomarker test and a simple thing er pricks, so it's going to be really pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: But there is no name yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, And obviously if you aren't seeing a neurologist, you could get a PCP to refer you to one or find one that's available in your area. So moving over one of the reasons that would Negate. My concern about knowing, it's like, I don't know one way or another whether I would want to know about this, But there are they are rolling out some treatment options for folks to get ahead of it. Do we have any really positive information along the lines of treatments that's available out there Anemory.
Speaker 4: Yes, we actually have two treatments right now that are showing to slow the progression of the disease down in the early early stages of the disease in most people. We actually I know that there are people right here in Gridter, Cincinnati that are getting that treatment, which is amazing.
Speaker 5: They're doing very well.
Speaker 4: I actually we had a big GABA last night and I did text this people there last night that were on the treatment. They're doing really well. And we have one hundred and forty one more treatments in the pipeline. We have, you know, four hundred and thirty million dollars across the world in fifty six centuries and eleven hundred projects.
Speaker 5: In research, So we are going.
Speaker 4: To find a cure. We're going to find more treatments and the best thing I think one of the things I really want everyone to know and be aware of is At the end of July, we will be coming out with results from our US POINTER study that we actually did here in the United States that we funded.
Speaker 5: It is a prevention study.
Speaker 4: It is talking about lifestyle change and what you can do to help prevent all summer's disease. So I cannot wait for those results. I'm very excited about those. This is a study that's going on worldwide and the results have been amazing. So everybody keeps asking me, that's that's a question. Everybody asked me. How do I prevent? What do I do?
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 4: Stay tuned, Stay tuned. We'll have more for you on some lifestyle change. It's all common sense, right, but.
Speaker 5: You have to sit with it. You have you have to have a just like anything, if you go on a diet, right, you have to stick with it. So you have to sit with the lifestyle change.
Speaker 1: So this will be dietary changes, perhaps, exercise changes perhaps, or maybe exercises like you know, brain exercises, like reading, is it is it?
Speaker 2: Things along those lines, Yes, all.
Speaker 5: Of that, all of that.
Speaker 4: So exercise, you know, making sure that you're going out and interacting with people. That's a huge that's a huge deal. Exercising your brain. Nutrition you know, is definitely really really huge as well. So yes, all of those things will be coming out, and you know, having science behind lifestyle change and knowing that that's going to help you in the future, I think is going to be really another game changer that we have.
Speaker 1: Well, can I at least ask you if you have any inside baseball on what we're putting into our bodies that maybe we shouldn't be that are it's connected perhaps with the higher incidents of Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 4: No that that there's no definitive tests that are saying, yeah, don't eat this at all. The brain is complicated, right, Yeah, so it's going to take a little bit more time to figure out, like, you know what, what is it?
Speaker 5: It's going to be am. It's a combination of things, you know.
Speaker 4: And one of the things we're saying with Alzheimer's disease now is you don't just have Alzheimer's disease, but we're seeing mixed dementia. For example, my mother had vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease, So we're seeing that, you know, this is a little more complicated even that we originally thought, so.
Speaker 2: There is a sort of a spectrum for Alzheimer's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yes, it's you know, dementia is are umbrella term, right, and then under dementia there's different types of Alzheimer's disease. There's different types of dementia. Pypologize. Alzheimer's is the most common. Yeah, it starts very early with mild cognitive impairment, you know, early stage. So there is a progression of the disease that we're very familiar with. And that's something you know when you were saying you don't know if you want to know, knowing just gives you knowledge, right, It gives you the wherewithal to say, Okay, this is what I want you know in my life, this is my plan. The other thing that does is it helps the people in your life. It helps your family know, like why is you know, why is he acting like that? I don't understand. It explains behavior. It's it's really important to know. And I would just encourage people if they want to know. You know, it's hard, right, I mean, I.
Speaker 5: Know it's a difficult decision whether or not you want to know.
Speaker 4: But just seeing what I've seen and knowing the people that are in the early stages that are actively involved in their care planning. I think it's really important for people to be involved in now.
Speaker 1: Oh, you make some good arguments. Anna Marie Barbet, Executive douction All Sides. So Alzheimer's Association grittersons Ani alz dot org is where you start national chapter and then there's the chapters that are local you can find on that website. And I suppose Anna Marie, that's a place where people can stay on top of the release of these new studies and information that are coming out.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yes, alz dot Org slash Cincinnati is our local website.
Speaker 5: We will definitely have more coming out.
Speaker 4: It's actually from our Alzheimer's Association International conference. It's the largest Alzheimer's research conference in the world. We will have lots of things coming out from that conference, So stay tuned, keep an eye on our website, follow us on Facebook.
Speaker 5: We will have everything posted on Facebook.
Speaker 4: It's the best research conference. I go every year and sometimes it's a little over my head, but you know, they are really good about tell dumbing it down for us and letting us know, like this is what this actually means. So those are the things that we will put out there, and I really do encourage people to keep an eye on that and make sure you know if you have questions, please call us locally.
Speaker 1: We're here for you, and consider donating to the Alzheimer's Organization if you have a charitable contribution in mind. And that's where we steered the uh the memorial contributions when my father passed away from the complications or complications of Alzheimer's. So happy to steer my listeners in that direction. Any little bit, every little bit counts in terms of doing this research. And I appreciate your optimism on the treatments that are coming out and hopefully we'll come out soon. And Marie, it just would be nice to know if anybody has any optimism about a treatment that might reverse the the Alzheimer's progression.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: I do, I absolutely do. If if this was around on my mom.
Speaker 4: Had a disease, I would absolutely have made sure that she was, you know, a part of that treatment.
Speaker 5: But you know, when you can get more time, you know, what wouldn't you give? What wouldn't you give for more time with your dad? Right?
Speaker 2: Amen?
Speaker 4: Now this is but this is where we are and so we just need people to be a part of it and you know, help help help us fund of research.
Speaker 5: It's that's the vital part of this is the research.
Speaker 4: But I don't I do want to stress and make I really want to stress and make sure everyone knows.
Speaker 5: So if you're on the journey.
Speaker 4: Now or you get a diagnosis, we are here locally for you with care consultants, with our free programs and services, everything we have to help you through this journey until that day comes where we have a world without Alzheimer's and all of their dementia.
Speaker 1: Alc dot orgs Last Cincinnati, Anri, thank you so much for what you're doing each and every day and for spending time with my listeners and me this morning, very very informational and enlightening.
Speaker 2: You have a wonderful weekend. We'll talk again soon. Seven fifty.
Speaker 1: Right now, if you five KRCD talk station, Shabri Group, Colorwayiam seven Hills. Now there's an outstanding real estate team, the number one real estate group and the greater Cincinnati area. Their mission is giving you a five star experience, and I assure you that's what you're going to get. This is the only team I would ever consider whether I needed a buyer's agent or seller's agent.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Competer has collected the best agents from around the Greater Cincinnati area to work on his team, and they have the instant off or program. Get out of town right away. You don't want to show it, you don't want to paint it, you don't want to deal with it, call this spregroup. They'll give you an instant off within forty eight hours of them seeing your home, which means you can close within less than three weeks from that moment in time. If they're your buyer's agent, love it or leave it. You find out you don't like the house you bought within the first year, they'll sell it for free. Yeah, that's their commitment to you. And then the Veterans Program and First Responders Program kicking back ten percent of their real estate commission to those who protect and serve us in the community. It's all right there online seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com or and then calm up, what the number is? Five one three seven zero eight three thousand, fifty five KRC