Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports puff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay, If you're a sooner boat your fan walk away.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: We're back on another episode of Sledging Room podcast. So plenty has changed since the last time we were here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Before we delve into the details of what has changed, I just want you to, you know, uh, do this for me. Raise your hand. One of your right hand is broken. We all know that we can see the What is that called stint?
Speaker 4: Evenquad did that with an injury.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's what That's where I'm coming to. Can you do this? Can you raise both of your hands and clap? Are you trying to mark my injury? No, don't take offense.
Speaker 5: I can raise my left hand, see sort of the and if you could clap with one hand, I could have done that, but I can't.
Speaker 3: See the thing is sort of I have a suspicion that you've been wearing that slint to just to get off work. You don't want to work, probably because see there is there are cricketers who have fractures and they're still you know, cheering playing football. Have you seen that image of Ruth Aquad you know, using both his hands to you know, cheer for ms DONI during the match in Lucknow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw it.
Speaker 5: But why are you reading too much into it? What's wrong in that?
Speaker 3: Jokes aside sort of you know, genuinely thinking that we'll take as it's.
Speaker 1: Not gonna happen. We know your Mombile loyalties. By the way, we have to introduce the shub.
Speaker 3: He comes into the podcast probably as an impacts up are mostly yeah, I like your former captain who has been playing there. He is a huge move Indians fan. But you know, jokes aside. People have pointed out that it's a hairline fracture. It's a hairline fracture. Probably he probably can do that. It's probably not that threatening. We don't know the signs behind it. But it's been said that Ruth Rage is out and my Wi is back. That's something that we did not talk about in the last episode of Sledging Room podcast because we did not have an episode last week. That's why plenty has changed in the IPL season so far. Tele were unbeaten last week, but they have now faced a defeat. People ruled out momb Indians and Senneesuku Kings, but they have probably taken the first step towards you know, redemption and all that. But SOB, you've been talking about scripts and all that. Where do you think this IPL is headed? As have you seen a closer fight than this before? The top team has eight points right if I'm not wrong? Yeah, and the bottom team has four points just two wins other difference.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this?
Speaker 5: You know, IPL is known to be the most compartitive league across the world and last year when they were scores of two thirty two forty getting very common, we thought that, oh IPL might have lost a charm. We are not going to see a low scoring getting defended anymore. But this iplah, especially in the last week so so, last three or four matches, they haven't sensational.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean DC choking as Mumbay Indians.
Speaker 5: You take that CSK coming back Rishap and not giving visionary that over and then the biggest of them all, Manjak is getting bolled out from one one one and then hell Master Class Marko Yanson Master Class ninety five all out and KKR fans were all heartbroken.
Speaker 3: You know, I am finding a coincidence for Just correct me if I'm wrong. Okay, the PSL started win a week ago. Yeah, well the weekend over, wee over the weekend, yeah till then IPL was given. Okay, okay, matches, Okay, you know it started with one sided matches. People were saying, Oh, is the buzz around IPEL not that great? But since PSL started, yeah, which is a real competity to the IPL people are talking about let's come back to that later. But since the PSL started, yeah, the blockbusters have begin. Is that someone writing these scripts like okay, you saw Punjab scoring two forty six and losing a match, Now seas them scoring one hundred and eleven and defending a match. Yeah, if someone's writing those scripts, send them to Bollywood.
Speaker 1: You know, at least make better in the films.
Speaker 6: Without a doubt. If somebody is doing it, pretty good job. Last night, I think it just brought the tournament back alive. The kind of game that we saw, just kind of that sees of emotions that fans went through KKR bundling out on one hundred eleven, then coming out and defending that especially, I mean the game was in their grasp. They required hardly fifty runs with seven wickets in hand. It was done and dusted. But then that hell master class and that stress getting that revenge against this Nothing gets better than that.
Speaker 1: So it's all it's all bladed perfectly now.
Speaker 5: You know, you asked who is writing those scripts. God is writing those scripts. You saw how Karna made that come back. You saw how Current Sharma made that come back. AMAZONI made that come back. CSK made that come back, and I mean we do not expect CSK to win a game, especially against LG in luck now, but Amazonian his team made that. So God is writing those scripts for every cricket fan. And you know this ip IPL is a place where you believe you can get the best of the biggest dramas of the cricket world, and the biggest scripts are written. Like when the Cyples started, we got someone like Priyan Sharya who scored a beautiful hundred. Then we got someone like aguish Art, both of them coming from Dell Cricket. Now, akron N I are forgotten. I remember in December, he wrote a tweet, please cricket give me other chance and look at him where he is now? First game coming back into IPL scores in eighty nine, smacks Mumra all over the park. Yes he did not land on the winning side, but that notock was one of the two selfs.
Speaker 1: So God is writing those scripts.
Speaker 5: And you could see every day it's going to get tougher for teams and every point is going to matter, every ball is going to matter. So and you saw how Mumbai you won that game, it was it was over for them. Yeah, it's not for some shithousing from Deli Capta's lower order and brilliant fielding from Mumba Indians. That was some fielding round the Calton, brilliant behind the wickets. So yeah, God is writing those scripts that say, if you ask me who is writing those scripts?
Speaker 1: When will God write a good script for?
Speaker 6: And you never know, extend Sunday is a good day. I hope it turns out to be a good day for you. And I'm not really sure because the last time in the.
Speaker 3: Way, by the way, we have banned reship from being being on the ship this Sunday. Why because yesterday what he did to one of his colleagues. Oh my god, Alan, who has been on this podcast before. He's a huge KKRE fan. After Punjab lost to KKR, Alan was obviously defeated Punjab defeated or care lost to however.
Speaker 4: We want to put it on somebody wrote it that way.
Speaker 3: Alan was heartbroken on the shift and then he gets a consolation gift.
Speaker 1: That's so.
Speaker 4: I gave him two options.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so one was another set of them, keen, and that was the another set of them, and I told him to choose anyone whichever he liked, and that was in the midd innings, and he ended up choosing his own death, which it turned out to be.
Speaker 4: Eventually.
Speaker 1: Let's see on Sunday what you will get.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see. I hope you would be as happy as you are right now.
Speaker 3: And is going to make that that this is all about IPEL.
Speaker 1: What we want isn't like in IPE isn't like Yes, of.
Speaker 3: Course, the data part of it, the heavy part of it, also matters, you know, in identifying and you know, appreciating the lesser talent great the lesser known talents. But the fun part is what dominates. Talking about the fun part sort of how have these captains and coaches look this time? That is probably what we wanted to discuss in this episode of Sledging Room. Like over the years we have seen Tony Fleming. Are we getting more such bonds this season? Like I'm seeing a couple at least? What do you think?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 5: Definitely if you look at the IPLs point point stable at the top, fine, who is nursing that success?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 5: Someone with his hat is doing it for them? Right with Hardik he won the league, then he went to reach the final. Then there was one bad season where Hardwick left and every everything was falling apart from He also.
Speaker 1: Wrote a piece saying that why Nehra is not the reason?
Speaker 3: Then hard was the reason and the left is that something you go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 5: So if you look at that, how he has mentored someone like Schumann Gill, who is a vice captain of Indian Limited was seen. So he is touted as the next of future captain. If you look at the current proceedings, so Ashisha is helping him write his own story with Titans. Then number two teams are Theily Capitals.
Speaker 3: Himani, how many of it gave a chance to when he was appointed even someone in ost told you, I think, what is this appointment in a league of heavyweight coaches like Dommir was there, Ra, You're appointing someone like him Badani who has very little experience of, you know, coaching at the highest level.
Speaker 5: Someone told you, I think they were a couple of people who cracked a few jokes on that, and it was are you very very honest here? Even I was not very much confident because yes, Hiram Madani has proven his credentials across other leagues, but being the head coach of a NIFEL franchise, that much pressure, handling that kind of overseas star power, that is something she had not seen earlier. And now it's not just Himanghdani. There's a group of staff. There's Matthew Mott, coach of Finland. Is there Kim Peterson, He himself is a different star guy. So it's a group of people that's working out and there are different leaders in the team.
Speaker 1: Aksha Patil. So all these players and these coaches.
Speaker 5: Even for RCB when retired, everyone was like, okay, now what will RCB do? Will they get a good keepers? Became their batting coach? Made that Ox strategy got them films sold and now he's haunting the skills of battles a good keeper.
Speaker 1: So you can see this, Captain.
Speaker 5: Coaches, you are very important, especially for teams like Mumbai and Asais and especially with CSK.
Speaker 1: What has fallen apart? I don't think and Filming.
Speaker 5: Were working at the same level as Donny and Fileming were even with Mumba Indians Hardwick And it's not the same, it's not It does not give you the same aura that and used to give that those five five bill titles.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So you can see if your coach and captain are working in tandem, that will reflect on the results on the field.
Speaker 3: Talking about such a store, what is wrong with the har well he even on that match against Deli Capitals, we're seeing that there was a little animation in the camp when Ruth was suggesting something, Mahela was telling the rellying that or not probably not relaying that.
Speaker 1: And then hard they taking into the field. What is happening there? Is it all? Well? This year of.
Speaker 4: Everything as well actual you don't have to worry too much about that.
Speaker 6: And also, I mean Jevani just got a reappointed last time it was Mark Boucher. Now they've got Jev back, hoping that he will recreate that match that he read with Roma. And don't you worry about us slow starts. That's what we have done in the past. We have scripted the greatest comeback the IPL has ever seen back in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking about all that. Yeah, I'm asking you is the relationship between hard and looking good on TV?
Speaker 6: I mean it's it's up for the reporters or for us for everyone to see. I mean, yes, if we are not losing, it might look bad, but the minute we start winning, when we start getting all our puzzles together, it will turn out to be good.
Speaker 4: You don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 6: And especially if you're talking about Ashi earlier, what he has done with the Indian bowlers in the team as well with Prussith Krishnan, Mhammad Seraj, the way he has corrected them, I mean I heard Robina talking about that specifically, how he has corrected their lens, how it has given them a lot more confident. They both are sitting with ten wickets each and Kujad bowling attack is breathing fire. And you know we were talking about the captain and the coaches thing. The captain coach do do it that people should be fearing Istory as a year and Ricky Ponting what they're creating together at Punjab camp last night Victory. I mean I heard Nehale they speak that in the pro postmatch press conference. He was like, there is never negativity in that dressing room. And when two people who have the same mindset, same hunger to win, same hunger to prove their naysayers wrong, when they come together, they've become a force to reckon.
Speaker 4: With them, people should be worried about Punjab.
Speaker 6: I really see them doing something scripting, something magical this season.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: That's a good point because we when we speak about Ricky Ponting and keep in mind, this is not the first time they are going to They're working together, a young ir taking over from Gottamambi in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: He led the lead to the final where they were walked.
Speaker 3: That's another that's another thing, but that combination reuniting after a couple of years. See it all looked flashy between Ponting and punt It looked very rosy between them on TV, the promotions and all that. But now you can feel that energy, right, Ponting was you know, you were saying that my heartbeat was like over two hundred or something, I didn't know, and then that energy, like he said, both are very positive characters and them, you know, combining that together might work as in like sort as like what do you think is there a chance of Project Punjab delivering what it has to deliver?
Speaker 1: Very much possible.
Speaker 5: I mean if you look at two players, especially Ponting was a legendary player in his primetime, a legendary captain, and then he has combined with you know, Ponting was the one who gave movement in their first title. He mid season, he stepped down as the captain, he made with the captain and then Mumbai went on to win the title twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: So this is not the first time if if.
Speaker 5: These two go on to win the title, that Ponting and a Mumbai batter go on to win a title for their team. Especially even interesting we get we have seen we're Rat and Shasti, two very fairy characters and the success.
Speaker 1: To in their own one nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they won Test Series in Australia. Those success stories these two wrote overseas for Indian cricket teams.
Speaker 1: That will always be written in the history books. So the two characters which.
Speaker 5: You're talking about, Ponting and a Year, both of them are very very positive, as Nihalvarde said, and they have a plan a in the place like Moderira revealed or someone else reveal will in the press conference that Ponting during that mid innings he told their bowlers, Okay, the battles have done the job. Now it's time for the bowlers to deliver. I want some furious Sills out there. And then you could see that firepower in the bowling and shares his captaincy. I mean I saw that he was trying to attack every batter taking a short forward leg in a T twenty match. That is sensational. And as a captain, he always wanted that recognition. That is why he left KKA even the title, and I hope he will get it. I hope he will get it at Punchapkins. Whether he wins it onpil or not, that it's a different story. But as a captain he has done great work. And Vadera also said that a Year is one of the greatest captains.
Speaker 1: He has finest leaders.
Speaker 5: He has worked under his spirit under and mind you whatea has been in the also, So that speaks a lot about these two.
Speaker 3: World under done you don't have So that's another okay, but I'm asking you something here. Sorry, Last year we said got wanted for k care This time will it be the same that if at all King's going to do well, will Ricky Ponting take all the credit or sh Saire's role is there? But if you look at the flip side, Gotamer is gone from kkre, s Sayer is gone from KR and Chandra Khan Pundit, whom we all thought was who he, who is a very acclaimed.
Speaker 1: Has it been a little overwhelming for him at the highest level.
Speaker 5: It looks like in the level it certainly looks like even before Gambier came, he was appointed as the coach and they had a very very poor season. Overse his player, like David came out in public much after that.
Speaker 1: I apeal that the behavior.
Speaker 5: Of Chandkhan pund did towards over his players was not very great, not codial at all.
Speaker 1: So I think.
Speaker 5: Is a coach who has been able to achieve some success, a lot of success in domestic cricket because he gets he does not get star players over there, especially for a team like Mahadesh.
Speaker 1: He gets young guys who maken groom.
Speaker 5: And we have also seen stories from someone like as who said that threw him outs.
Speaker 1: Yea yeah, but human coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we all who was a coach back then. Obviously he will not name the coach. He has to play cricket, but we can actually understand. Yeah, so especially with chand And you know what is more baffling for me when.
Speaker 1: Someone like.
Speaker 5: Is out he has left that post for India coaching. I don't know why will you bring someone like dun Bravo, bravo as a coach. I don't know what creditions he has. Yes, he's a great T twenty bowler, a great T twenty launder, a title across the globe, but as a coach, never proven CSK's bowling coach. He was because he has AMAZONI to execute those plans on the pitch. M even when was the captain last season, AMAZONI was there and whatever people might say, when Amazon is there behind the wickets, you always get that help.
Speaker 1: You will always guide the bowlers to these lines, that lines.
Speaker 5: He's the one who invented someone like like Coleapan. Hell, they were young bowlers and AMAZONI was the one who made those two successful, those stumpings, those lines. So Drane Bravo's appointment is a bit baffling for me. Even the kr fans have started outing. And more than that, this team, especially KKR, why are you holding on to old heroes when when you know that they have they have given what they am?
Speaker 1: I ask him also the same question, why are you holding on to your old heroes? Which old hero have the what is what? What has he been doing? Tell me, frankly, is the lead is a leader?
Speaker 3: He is the one who thought out okay, okay, you can make your lead.
Speaker 1: You having a movement in his fan and asked the ask come to this movement? You ask your question? Yeah? One question? Where was momentous? Without was the captain in ipal?
Speaker 3: Everybody paying the final in twenty ten would have given them a couple more theater seasons.
Speaker 1: They would have won it under such a RB such and was past his prime?
Speaker 5: Okay, and Arma came and took that mental He made moments fine, not question.
Speaker 3: Where is the performance now? And why is he being used as an impact player?
Speaker 6: So the thing is your captain can get all the credit for the leadership, and our captain cannot get all the captains for the leadership.
Speaker 4: Is not performing at all.
Speaker 3: When I'm asking, when I'm asking clinical questions, don't make it your mind.
Speaker 1: Don he had forty three is winning you matches?
Speaker 3: Which is we can keeping with his uh late order hitting when when it's doable, he does the job what has been doing. And my my biggest question is why will you not use his experience on the field? Why will you use him as an impact player?
Speaker 4: Right? That is given?
Speaker 6: I guess they I think last night also last game, as it was pointed out that he was the one who opted he suggested that ball change. He suggested that ball change, and then that kind of turned the game in our favor. And coming back coming back to what you were talking about, at forty three year old, we could keep a battery. Yes, indeed, he is doing incredibly incredible great work. He has got the leadership mantle back and he's leading the team really well and incredible behind the stumps, scoring runs for your team. But isn't that too scary for you people? Because I mean, after him, even him at on one leg at the age of forty three, that uncapped Indian is there to win you games and nobody else is standing up. Isn't that scary for the future? Who will you replace him within the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's one major concern. We've all spoken about how CESK lost it adoption. Okay, yes, we might talk about them winning or April fourteen it being double New Day and thoughts of sparks of comeback. But frankly, tell me, if it's a one to eighty plus score, do you see cskchase a target.
Speaker 1: That's something that probably they don't have.
Speaker 3: And so the good thing is that CSK brought in Shi Krasid, twenty year old from Pop who did well. They also have someone like once Baby sitting in the dugout. They also signed someone like a mare Aish Matre. So I think I think it's about for CSK. I seriously don't think they have a chance to make to make it to the playoffs. But like in twenty twenty where they gave opportunities to the likes of rutraj and all of them probably take those tough calls and Raul Triparti Oka, yes he has done well in the idea in the past, but he's not looking the part. Get someone like One's baby in Uja Shankar. For all that consistency, he probably misses the spark. If you want to use the word spark here, it probably misses the spark. So give someone opportunity. There are people like Ramakrisna ghost waiting in the wings, so try them and see that. Probably CSK season will be about identifying these holes and probably getting Doni's legs fixed for the next season as well.
Speaker 5: But before we move on to another segment, I want to ask both of you tell me your best coach and captain do of this? I plow and worst, not worst, but yeah, one who has not been able to replicate success on the field, captain one one from you, one from you best and worst.
Speaker 6: Well, I've already spoken about my best age and Ricky Pond. I mean what they are doing. I mean, just see for a fact, if we take a look at Punjab, they're not even playing their best cricket. They're dropping catches, they're doing those misfields and the ball is all over.
Speaker 4: The place, but they're still winning matches. Imagine what they can do when they play their best.
Speaker 6: And if we were talk if we were to talk about the worst coaching do I mean it was indeed Stephen Fleming and Ruthuraz gay Aquad. They just could not gel together, which we felt out there on the field as well, and there was a lot of what do you say this miscommunication on part disagreement on part on is his own batting position on m Zoni's batting position, on what would be the right combination for them.
Speaker 4: So yeah, those those two for me.
Speaker 1: For me, the best is dony Dony Okay, yeah, pretty much expected.
Speaker 3: But if you look at it, him Madani is leadership group, like you pointed out, probably first time at this level.
Speaker 1: He needs that helping hand.
Speaker 3: Matthew More there, Kevin Peterson there, that's a solid, solid, solid group for which seems to be a you know, although his what he thinks as cheeky in the post match presentations sound.
Speaker 1: A little odd these dyes exactly, but he.
Speaker 3: Seems to have the you know, gut feeling gumption to get the moves done. You know, he's not a very inexperienced player. He has played, he has come through the ranks and it was not like he was one of those Schumann Gills or someone who you know, broke through the scene and he was a star when he started out. He had to grind his way to become you know, and to break into that test setup which had Ashwin and j at their prime, so he might he has. He has gone through a lot, he has had life legends throughout his career and probably you know good captains.
Speaker 1: He must not look like, you know, oh, I am making this change. I am making this change. It's so easy. It's it flows on the field.
Speaker 3: If you see MS at his prime, he used to give those three six first six overs to set people. He doesn't complicate things at all. That's something that I'm seeing in extrapt Pertiale and that entire leadership group. They are not complicating things. Each of them know what to do. They they have given particular roles. And I was very happy when you spoke about how, you know, certain teams fucked up at auction, but if you look at how Daily Capitals went about their way, they had the temptation to, you know, you could have easily made k your your you know your captain and then you know, gone for the brand appeal. Some some owners have completely said that okay, we need a phase to promote we're we have seen how we're qually has been the face of us. Well I'm not saying we're not as a bad captain, no, but but there is there is that temptation to you know, market to make a team more marketable. But delirasisted that temptation at this probably in this phase of his career. K would have been burdened by that captaincy as well when he's trying to reinvent himself as a white ball player. And that's that's something that Himan Badani and his leadership group should be credited to, you know, credited for. That's a good call and it has translated into the season.
Speaker 1: Also.
Speaker 3: They are doing things simply. They're not you know, Viprasnigam he's getting his Kota overs probably with an injury. He's not bowling himself, but they're clear we can get the job done with Vipraj and co Deep and Coleep is also bowling well. So that clarity, when you see a good working group, it should not be like, oh, you're you're laboring to you know, get your wins.
Speaker 1: Everything is flowing.
Speaker 3: Well there that's something that I like and like I said, probably.
Speaker 1: Doesn't like and the.
Speaker 3: Curator also through him. Yeah, so it's kind of a mess there. Yes they are one dot even thing. But if you but if you look at it, they needed to take some bold calls. What the point of taking Russele with you when he's probably not able to put back to ball and you have a long batting order and then yesterday also you get in an impact player who's a batter.
Speaker 1: How how how will these things?
Speaker 3: I have never seen an impact player a batter as an impact player in the first things work. So these are kind of calls that are a little bit although they are not at the bottom of the table. If you look at Pat Commins and Daniel Vetori, they still are that confident bunch. They know that there is a way to play their cricket. Probably it has not worked out, probably because of the lack of form of travel. Set and abstract are at the top. It'll be interesting to see how they progress as well. They came back with a big win. So to me it'ses and no ajink I think, yeah, oh my god, And what about you, sir, like you will obviously say deli for the.
Speaker 5: Best No, no, for me, it is the best Captain Coast setup, especially like I talked about ash and Risha mentioned how Ashishnaraz brought back these two Indian places back to life like and Siraj they were literally they were run machines last season, Krishna for Arsthan and sirach for Bengaluru.
Speaker 1: And that is why did not retain him.
Speaker 3: And keep in mind when there were doubts when Ashshnira's credentials were questioned last season when things did not go well with Schumann, but Schumann was a young captain and they also didn't have more much Sam who was injured throughout the season. So that lead pacer kind of thing which the setup relies on. They're also creating a formula. They're also creating a formula with which you know they're keeping it simple. If you have a set formula in place, you can then go on to keep things simple. I think that's what they are exactly.
Speaker 5: Even if if if a team buys someone like Joe's butler and you don't you're not playing him as an opener. You have a plan in your hand, right, you have size to who knows when to grant it out. And he has been scoring runs. He's not gonna he's been scoring runs at every pitch. He knows when to hit, he knows when to grant it out. Give Gil Schuman Gil. There have a lot of questions about his captains the last season, but this season he looks a better captain, more assured at least, and he has that backing from his coach. And apart from that, if you look at the worst captain, coach do for me, Yeah, I agree with you. It has to be a and uh, especially because as a reader, you know you do not buy him to make to be the captain. You buy You bought him for a squad player. Then you gave him the role because you could not voice a captain. You not go for a captain. You spent spent twenty for someone like you.
Speaker 1: Should have made the making him the captain.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then Kahan, I mean that guy is phenomenal as a leader, as a batsman. People started questioning even before theepil started. I heard experts talk about, Okay, Rahana is the captain, but how we make that playing eleven? Look at how he take that playing eleven. He has been scoring runs and he has been bailing KKR out for all that famed lower order trio, they have filmed miserably Ringku Russell and raman Deep. I have not seen them doing great work for KKR Apart from one game where Vankakishire and Link build them out, they have not been great at all. It is a bowling that is clicking almost every game, but their batters have failed. And Rahana especially like you said that tussle with the procuratory at Eden Gardens then he has it looks like there are always disagreements with him and the coach, even if Brawo and him, and the way he has managed to marshal his troops on the field, someone like Punjapling's they had got a very good start. He brought in Hashtrana, he placed raman Deep sing on that position. He knew he had a plan in place and he backed these players. And you see Narayan also picnifickets for Chuck three wickets. So Rahana has been sensational, but because of that management issue, the team has not been able to make that combination to a winning commision almost every game because.
Speaker 1: They'll one, they win one and they lose two. Yeah, this has been there. These are observations that we're making from the outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely discrediting any work that anybody has done.
Speaker 1: But I thought you will name no not now. Had the loss to d C, I would have clearly said it.
Speaker 3: As a captain Boom I didn't finished at number ten last season. This time it's looking a little better eight at this point of time. But on Sunday after the CSTD, probably a little lower.
Speaker 4: We'll see that.
Speaker 1: We'll see well.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to ask you this question because we were talking about this. What is more important in a coach. Do you want a really technical coach who has to, you know, understand the basics of the game, or do you want someone like Gumby who's a man manager. What is better suited for IPL In international cricket, we thought Rahul Dravid will do wonders with the Indian cricket team because he was so technically good and all that, But for the first two years of a stint, I'm frankly saying, had he not won the T twenty World Cup, there would have been questions, I did I want T twenty World Cup?
Speaker 1: Questions would have been asked.
Speaker 3: But again there was clarity in his thinking towards the later half of it. But had he not won it, into questions would have been asked gumby rickety start. But then when the championshophe with this team and at KKR, whats in Like is he a certified coach? Now there are so many certified coaches who are who are are going around in the scene.
Speaker 1: What is more important in a coach in the tournament like IPL?
Speaker 3: Is it the man managing factor or is it the technical aspect of it?
Speaker 1: You know, I personally believe especially for all the leagues, not just IPL. So these are not football leagues. Cricket leagues.
Speaker 5: You get a certain bunch of players for one month, two month, three months, for max. Even when you're holding those camps you get the domestic players, but those international players are not available for those camps. So when the international players come, then you decide you're playing eleven. So it's always coming down to the man management because when you are the head coach or a mentor for a team, you're not going to tell someone that skill.
Speaker 1: You're not going to teach skill that much time. Also, yeah, like we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Can't go to exactly fixes problems because they have been long standing for a year or so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when Gotta Kambir won that IPAL title as a captain and now as a mentor. Do you think he went and told Ran Narayan, Okay, you have to hit these kinds of shots. You're not going to play a cover over the cover. No, he just went and talked to players like Russell and Aryan, Okay, I need you, I need you guys to fulfill these roles. Tell me how can you give it to me? And those guys was ready to give it for someone like Gambier because he trusts them. And as a leader, as a captain or a coach or a mentor, you have to in work that trust from your players, especially in these leagues, because what happens is like someone like David came for just one a half month for an IPL last last year and he left very bad memories of a KKR coach. So that relationship has to be very very important when ponting. You know, I was, I was listening to the cave Peterson in that first game. So Peterson had joined like seven days or eight days ago before that first game. He had joined the LA Captors and he was asked, your team losing wickets, do you think you can do the job. He's like, yeah, we have got someone like Ashes and pass waiting in the wings. Yeah, Whippi and waiting in the wings. And they these two came out and did the job. So I don't think Peterson just came for seven days and he taught the skill set. He just nurtured their mindset. He talked to them and told him you have to play this role. You have to finish the game. You have to be bold and strong. So as a coach you have obviously when you are a coach team you are experienced or you have done something very good as a player that you were sitting there, but you're you. Being a good man manager is very very very important. I remember Ishan Kashan was feeling with Mumba Indians a couple of seasons ago and Mahil was having special transisions with him as a wicket keeper and then as a batter also. He was telling him what to do, what not to do, what is the bowler thinking when he was trying to play that shot. So that man management is very very very important for me. It's more important than you teaching that player. Okay, you have to play over the covers. Okay, you're a bowler, you can't. World wide occurs that man one is very important.
Speaker 3: And like you said, in football there are like you play around the year, like yes to seven months a year you play and you can work on these technical aspects. Here with forty five days and half of them going in travel, what can you do in like I agree with that, Richard Basen, Like is that the difference between Aboucher and Jams.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean the fact that you pointed about Javadnate giving that special attention to Shan Kristian. So Mumbai had found that Shankison was you need a special talent and him, despite failing for the first seventy games, they kept on backing him, kept on giving that pop positive talks and then he turned out to be that match whenner for us in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty. And also, I mean, if you were talking about these man management thing, I remember what is the worst coaching saga in the history of Indiantricate.
Speaker 4: It's the Great Chapel thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: He was just way too technical.
Speaker 6: I mean I remember people talking about he was trying to correct very indra sevaks tek neque for God's sake, and even wanted to change the batting order and all. So that did not work well at all. You have to need to have that connection with your players. You need to have that good camaraderie. Your players need to trust you. You're talking about it. Ash Osan Kevin Peterson thinking spoken at length about that the kamaraderie shares with Peterson. He instills that believes in him that okay, you are my match. When that he is, he inspires him every single day. So that is there between those players, and that is what it was. That is what is the utmost important that you need to succeed in the league, especially like ipl.
Speaker 1: How is your captain's relationship with.
Speaker 6: Compan well, I mean they are doing whatever they are doing in the field, and especially I mean given the fact if he just won the Champions Trophy, you can see they are might be like they're phasing it out. It might not be as good as it does. It doesn't look good on Test cricket, but in Odia cricket, they have maybe found a method, they have found some rhythm and hopefully they can continue that for the next two years for the big tournament that is pending and maybe that one final dance all three of them can get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Richard is back to play their lead and even win the World Cup that is eluding him.
Speaker 3: That's that's okay, But I just don't know whether he'll go to England, even though it goes there.
Speaker 5: But actually, what do you think about the coaches role in an league like IPL.
Speaker 3: See I personally believe that there should be consistency if you looked at teams that have done well in the past, like it's obvious that CSK and KKR have had consistent coaches. You know, you you can easily discount Fleming's role saying that, okay, Dony takes the calls, but if you look at it, if you look at the way they speak.
Speaker 1: Even DONI has said that I have a lot of conversations. You need a sounding board.
Speaker 3: At least, you need someone to you know, to not agree to everything that you say to, you know, to Fleming has that, you know, reputation. Let's not forget as some people who started watching cricket after the IPL probably might not know. Fleming was one of the most successful us in captains. So he deserves that respect in the dressing room and you need to have a you need to give time to your coach. Like it's like you pointed out, it's just two months. How much will you be able to know about the players if you give them a year long time like a lot of IPEL teams have, you know, camp starting like six months before where domestic players are there and they scout well.
Speaker 1: So everything needs to be in sync.
Speaker 3: And I think, like you pointed out, I think the managerial role is more important. That's when also you need a solid, solid, you know setup, just for the name of having ten batting coaches fifteen fielding coaches like a few teams had in the last two seasons and floundered.
Speaker 1: It should not be that way.
Speaker 3: It should be you know, someone like a Matthew Mott coming in as an assistant coach to Hemong Bahani. Can you understand that equation. Has Hemong Badani won a major ICC tournament? No, but you know that Hemung probably might connect well with the Indian players. Matthew might be there for you know, probably the technical side of it or I don't know how it works, but you need to put in your thought before assembling a team. Just big names will not win you titles. We've seen that with Ricky ponting it out in twenty thirteen, but since he became a full time coach. It's been either it's been I Fie. You know, they've shown a lot of promise, but they have not been able to hold on to clutch moments. That's why I think that one hundred and eleven defense of one hundred and eleven will give both Race and Ponting a bit of contract. And if you look at it like you need to have that that, I think you need to have a settled, settled core and just for the sake of assembling a team, it shouldn't be assembled. It should be carefully picked, carefully thought out, like Vettori and his team of you know coaches.
Speaker 1: That's my take on this. Yeah, yeah, And you pointed out about Riggy pointing.
Speaker 5: I just remembered that Riggy Ponting when he was let to go off as the coach of the League Capitals, he came out in the public in Bress conference and he's told the reporters that he kept us are looking for an Indian coach. They want someone who can be around the year with the team. That is why they went for someone like him.
Speaker 1: Bhdani.
Speaker 5: Like Bahdani is a very low profile coach, but he has won everything where he has gone. He's won the T and PL right now, he won the IL T two and T with the Capitals. Even with Hyderabad he was there as a batting coach and the batting coach in that capacity. So you need these men who are actually who always have that communication skill as a leader. How will you make your team work better? Only when you understand what their stents are and what where they where they can fail.
Speaker 3: And it's also should be too and fro right. Someone should be there to understand the emotions of the players. Yeah, that's why probably a mix of Indian and foreign Is that how things will go in the future.
Speaker 5: I think it will go like that, only because you need somehow someone who knows the exact technicalities of the T twenty cricket as the cricket as cricket grows through the years, and someone who knows the players and who can communicate because they should not be a language barrier.
Speaker 3: And I also have understood another important aspect of this, like when we're talking about coaches, I just wanted to slide this in. Players who have paid recently and retired are being directly absorbed to the coaching setups. If you look at it, someone like a Duane Bravo becoming the mentor of KKR. Someone like Danish Kartik coming into the rc BE set up, and even Gautham Gambid for that matter, is in.
Speaker 1: Not played very long ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he retired in twenty nineteen and suddenly stepping into coaching. Will that help the recency of your playing career?
Speaker 6: I guess I mean you tend to understand the team better. I mean the case of Danish Kartik, he was playing at the RSB of the previous season.
Speaker 1: Even earlier this year he was playing in a twenty.
Speaker 6: Right, right, so you tend to understand what has worked for your franchise in the past. You have a good relationship with the players that they're playing in this season around, So yes, you do build that connection and it is all about that. You need to be there for the players when you need them the most. If you're having a bad time, you need your coach to back you, and that is what gets the best out of you.
Speaker 4: That's that's what I think.
Speaker 5: You know, when you talked about this point with the recency of the players who have become the coach. I just remember the podcast where I heard about football So football teams in the big clubs now they are looking for younger coaches. Why because the young generation of football players, you can't just shout at them and expect them to perform the next game. You have to sit with them, have a coffee with them, have that conversation with them. Okay, when I was playing two years ago, I used to do this, Why is it not working with you? And then the guy will say, okay, I have to do this thing, I have to do that thing. So a young manager is more in i will say, more in fashion and more successful in football. And the same pattern has followed in cricket.
Speaker 3: Also, especially in a sport like twenty three yeah, which is evolving every season. Like last season you could have carried in oversize bats, but this season you can't carry over size bats. So when you go and talk to someone like a k care opener, you have to tell a move with this bat, how much can you hit?
Speaker 1: Yes? Exactly, So that's the recency. I think that will help. No, I'm just ooking.
Speaker 3: But in these pressure in these pressure situations, like with the impact player rule, how can you handle this? Probably someone like Sorrow might not be you know, very well aware of how an impact play Okay, from the outside you can probably easily get to it, but when you are in that hot seat, that is when you get to know. So we might see the trend of players retiring and then immediately joining you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone like DONI retiring at fifty.
Speaker 4: That's what everyone is waiting for, not only.
Speaker 3: You, and then you know, going on to become probably the coach or the mentor or the assistant coach or what do you want to be MSNY assistant coach CSK.
Speaker 1: How does it sound?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you need to give that man a break.
Speaker 6: He's still doing the job for you at the age of forty three on one leg.
Speaker 4: Seriously, CSKAS.
Speaker 3: And someone like road Sherman was not retired, was already started coaching. So that's also another trend that taking that recency trend to another level. Sit in the background and send out instructions.
Speaker 6: Don't play without a doubt that that might work for us against you never know.
Speaker 3: But s as in with the amount of you know, we're also being being in clock timers. So before we leave, quickly tell me before we'll come back in a week's time. Where do you see the changes in the table? There are plenty of Dhabi's coming up this week? Yes, yes, will the top four change? Like the top four now is GT UH, Delhi, RCB and Punjab. Okay, will it see a change? Do you think, Delly? Can you know? Probably that was a blip against Mumbai.
Speaker 5: And these I will always say it was a blip, especially after that unbeaten run of four matches.
Speaker 1: So if you asked you, let me put it this way. At this stage, who do you think are the likely for candidates for the playoffs? So if you ask me, I will definitely name GT D C.
Speaker 5: Then I will say a Pubcus, especially after what pointing and you are doing. And one surprise team would be someone from the trinity of am I as H or KRE not C s K.
Speaker 1: What is the trinity? How do you relate that trinity together? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Because they're successful team. There was one title, yeah okay, but last year they played different to see, there is no trinity trinity in i PL. Only the big two, Big two okay, okay, not even big to this big big three give it two k.
Speaker 1: Also, so for me the fourth thing, okay, can you repeat that for me?
Speaker 5: So it has to be G T D C Pocus or either of C sk No, not C S K am I as rich or kre.
Speaker 1: Mine, I would say, am I m im.
Speaker 4: No not not the sport.
Speaker 6: So r C B P B KS am I surely I think they might find they might find a reason to turn it around mid season. You never know, even your team might turn it around. That might be a possibility. So r C, B P B K S am I and either of d C or g T Okay.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: See simple For me, it's really I'm very impressed with the way they are playing, not just not because you're my friend and all that are playing well, and I think RC will get there.
Speaker 1: They have a good sounding boat though. They have a good set up to you know.
Speaker 5: You know, the Chin stadium is going to be the biggest problem.
Speaker 1: Let's see two teams in form right now.
Speaker 4: I sat are coming to tom It's going to be a.
Speaker 3: Hell of so so d C, R CV for me and am I for sure. No, I'm not counting them out at all. Their number seven already, I didn't see that.
Speaker 5: And okay and simple okay, so you're not counting.
Speaker 3: Finding their way out somewhere or the other. See g D for me and DC for me are the two more settled teams and r CV for the way they are playing seven seven games they are.
Speaker 5: True then and one then let go there me make one correction. It has to be dc GT. We're not qualifying.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a bold call. Ye, come back to it next week. Yeah. Well, you know, we got a few comments last week as well.
Speaker 3: Like one of them, like we discussed in the last episode, also praise this setup. But there was an important comment which said, you know, we're probably dragging it a bit too much, okay from David Drama and I think, but we'll try and keep the episode short, you know, and this I feel people that might not have so much time to consume so much. We'll try and keep it short and crisp from the next time. But if you do have your comments, if you do have your thoughts, please send it across to A five double nine, double six, double nine six. Like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave a comment.
Speaker 1: We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple podcast, please do rate us.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Have a great week.