Speaker 1: This is Michael Connelly and you're listening to Killer in the Code Solving the Black Dalia and Zodiac cases. Today, we're going to follow our first six episodes with a roundtable discussion with the principal investigators on this these cases and answer questions that have come into our podcast website, which is Killerinnecode dot Com. With me today is Alex Baber, who started this whole thing when he cracked the Z thirteen code left behind by the Zodiac Killer fifty some years ago. And veteran homicide investigators Mitsi Roberts, who at one time before her retirement, ran the cold case unit for the Los Angeles Police Department of which the Black Dallia case was assigned. It was her case for about fifteen sixteen years. And another cold case detective, Rick Jackson, who is veteran of the LAPD homicide squads, including the cold case squad, and now works as a cold case investigator for the San Mateo County share u's office up in northern California. So welcome everybody, and we know we have limited time here, so we're going to start going through the questions and see how many we can get answered. So let's start with this first one. This one is very germane to what we've been trying to do. But probably the question we're getting the most to our website is this, Have any law enforcement organizations contacted you about the podcast? We've gathered a lot of circumstantial evidence and even some physical evidence, and I think it's a good question, what's going to happen with all this or is it just going to end up in a podcast? Rick, you want to start with that one.
Speaker 2: Sure, in reality, we have no control over where this goes once we make notifications and communicate with law enforcement. I have talked to a detective from LAPD who has been assigned to look into it. To what degree, I don't know. They've made it known that they're not going to provide us with information. They are taking information for us to team what is necessary to fall upon and make determination whether this is a viable suspect or not. I've also talked with the San Francisco Police Department to the detective that is technically assigned to the Zodiac case that occurred in San Francisco, and basically it was the same thing. They are moving their investigation as they feel is appropriate. Again, not sharing with us what they are doing, which is understandable from you know, we're no longer sworn law enforcement officers working under jurisdiction of any place that has the jurisdiction over these cases, so we shouldn't be given information. So again it's outside of our control. But I do think they will look at it and make up determination. I think they're sufficient evidence for them to look at these cases and move forward to the extent where they can either definitely include him as the suspect, it can eliminate him if that's what it shows, which I don't think will happen, or just combine it with all the other theories and not make a determination on any of them.
Speaker 1: Anybody want to add anything. I like that the fact that I was.
Speaker 3: The first individual in decades to be requested to show in NAPA or any jurisdiction in North Bay to do a presentation with San Francisco PD, Solano County Sheriff's Department, as well as representatives of NAPA Sheriff's Department or office, and FBI for me to be requested to fly from the East Coast to California to do a presentation between four of the five involved jurisdictions from the original case makes a statement in itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'd just like to add that the fact that you're not hearing a lot about law enforcement being involved.
Speaker 5: Hearing from the law enforcement side is just the nature of this case.
Speaker 4: Like I've said many times when I've had it, it's an ancillary case.
Speaker 5: Their main duties are more current homicides and cold cases.
Speaker 4: And so just because we're not hearing anything from law enforcement doesn't mean that they're not looking into it and investigating the evidence that we've given to them and the evidence that's in the podcast.
Speaker 2: I should also add that they have asked for contact information from certain people that are pertinent people in the case as we explain to them the particulars of our investigation.
Speaker 1: And I will add a reminder here the suspect Alex has identified died in nineteen ninety three. So while all these law enforcement agencies would like to solve these crimes and say case closed, they are duty bound to pursue cases where there are viable suspects out there, you know, live killers who need to be brought to justice. With this case and this suspect, that is not going to happen as sad and disappointing as that is. So that puts this investigation on a level of being worked when it can be worked, and when you consider a big city like Los Angeles, when is there not a new case to be worked and a killer out there somewhere on the loose. Okay, let's move on. We hope that you've already listened to the first six episodes of this podcast. But just very brief Alex broke z thirteen. It's also known as my Name Is. It's where the Zodiac claimed he had put his name into a cipher And the name Alex came up with and which has been verified by some of the top cryptographers in the world, was Marvin Merrill. Further investigation revealed that was an alias for a man named Marvin Margolis, who was one of the prime suspects in the Black Dahia case. And that's how we we linked these cases. And a question that has come in largely because of internet chatter. I don't know what else to call it, where people said no Margolis was cleared by the LAPD way back in nineteen forty seven, the year of the Black Dahia murder. By the way, Black Dahlia is the moniker. I guess you call it for Elizabeth Short the victim, and so let's have that question answered here, hopefully and for all. Was Margo Is cleared or not by the LAPD MIXI you had this case for a while, You're probably more familiar with it than anybody possibly in the world. What's your answer to that question?
Speaker 4: Not to my satisfaction, and the there's just a lot of conflicting information, a lot of well because of this, he was cleared, because of his alibi that his wife supported, he was cleared, But the timeline just doesn't it doesn't make sense to me with the evidence, with the grand jury, with the LAPD still looking for him after the grand jury, because the lead investigator had said that he couldn't clear him, nor could he include him.
Speaker 5: And that's just more evidence to me of what an.
Speaker 4: Elusive type of suspect Marvin Margolis was and that they just there's not enough information that they have or the acts to him to make that determination.
Speaker 5: The benefit that I have with maybe a.
Speaker 4: Handful of individuals is I had access to the files for fifteen years, and I've scoured through those files, not just the DA files, but the entire Black Value files, as well as all the stuff that's out on the Internet that I have access to. And all I can say is, I'm not satisfied that he is cleared.
Speaker 1: And even if you.
Speaker 4: Take all of that into consideration and you say yes, the investigators in the you know, in the late forties cleared him.
Speaker 5: He had an alibi and they cleared him.
Speaker 4: I've worked many cases where people lie, people live for people. You're not really one hundred percent able to verify the alibi, and so they take him for his word and they move on to the next because that happened a lot in this case. Take somebody's you know, check them out the list, and move to the next. And it's kind of what is so fascinating about these cases all these years later is that suspects like Leslie, Dillon and Hodell, all these suspects that keep coming out at one point were somewhat cleared or had alibised or but they're still there. They're still in the files, and there's still, at least for the Internet solution and stuff that everybody has a theory of.
Speaker 5: Who it could be and why they weren't cleared sufficiently. And that's the nature of the beasts of this case.
Speaker 4: All I can say is I've had access to the files for fifteen years, all of the files, and I'm not convinced that Marvin Merrill was cleared.
Speaker 2: And I will add on to that. And Mitzi briefly referred to one of the lead detectives, but Finest Brown was a Homicide Division detective, a veteran detective, and he was one of the two leads on the Black Dalua case and in the grand jury in the nineteen fifty time period. He definitively said, as Mitzi referenced that he can include him because there was insufficient evidence to move forward at that time. But he definitely was not eliminated as a suspect. And there are other people that were associated with the investigation from either LAPD or the DA's office that said he always remained there that person's key focus from early on because of their person relationship, he should have been a major target of the investigation, not just one of twenty one. I mean, he was the one that had a relationship with or lived with her. And we all know, you know the percentage of times that relationships or people known to the other person are the killer and the victim. It's just the way it goes those to be eliminated. And he definitely wasn't eliminated by the detectives then.
Speaker 5: Yes, And he when he was initially interviewed, he lied. He lied to the detectives, which they kind of gave him a pass on that, and I think it was a I think it was a soft pass. I think that you have to take that more into consideration and to say, well, if he's lying.
Speaker 4: About this, what else is he lying about? And who else maybe be a part of that? And so for all those reasons, I don't think that he.
Speaker 5: Was eliminated back then and can be eliminated now.
Speaker 2: And we all know alibi is given by people close to somebody, specifically a wife, a new wife has to be looked at with very close eyes to see if that's a legitimate other than just her word. There's nothing else other than her word that's got to be looked at. And I've handled cases one recently where I work now, where the eventual suspect was eliminated based on things that happened within days of the murder, and thirty something years later, we began looking at it and I just could not get past the fact that this is too good of a suspect, not only in her visual appearance and the likeness to the composite, but in a very unique car that she had access to, and eventually, thirty five years later, she was definitively identified as a suspect, not only through a confession but some of her general writings that she had done about shooting the victim.
Speaker 1: It happens all the time, Alex. You want to say something, Yeah, I want.
Speaker 3: To put a cherry on top of her. Guys, there's this myth of a missing week. If that's true, then we can eliminate more than Markles as a suspect based on his school attendance and his employment at that time. He's given to alibis by dream mate Bill Robinson that he lives with and new Elizabeth Short as well as his wife will be married approximately a month after Elizabeth Short Lefting that being said, we do also know that Alficher McBride had an account of Elizabeth Short coming to her for protection within hours of her murder, and it's verified that she confirmed Elizabeth Short's body, not photographs her body as being that of the woman that she spoke to. So this surpasses the belief that she saw photographs. A few hours later came back and said, look, now I'm dubious about my original account. It might be somebody different. Because once you go down and you view the body and you confirm that that's etchton Stone. So then you move forward to the granaduriy inquest and you have one suspect and one suspect only that they tried to track down outside of California, and that's Marvin Margolis in Chicago. We have accounts of letters where they reach out to Chicago pet repeatedly. They send him out to his in law's house. There's residents. They're trying to hunt this guy down. Nobody else of the suspects was ever printed down in that manner. Ever, in the closing statement guys, the very last document under oath DA or deput DA, Vick says, if we allow Marvin Margolis to know outside of these four walls that were attempting to locate him, he may elude justice forever. So that right there is a statement in himself as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find that very at the very end of the grand jury, that kind of instruction. Basically, then nothing leaves these four walls about this guy is very telling. And there's another thing I just want to throw in. I just finished reading a book called Black Dalle It just came out by an author named William Mann, and he also calls Margolis the last man standing in terms he methodically knocks down all the other suspects and says Margolis is the last man standing. And one of the things he says, which I don't think we've come across, or Alex maybe you can confirm, is that the LAPD never pulled his military records. It was the grand jury that did. And so when they cleared them, they didn't know anything about him getting a fifty percent reduced capacity situation with him. They didn't know anything about the psychology the psychologists who interviewed him and talked about his aggression and his mindset. And you know, if I think at Finnis Brown and his partner knew this stuff, they would have never cleared him in any way because this guy just he fit that profile right off the bat.
Speaker 3: May add to that real quick, Michael. Also, and everything is when they didn't pull his notary record, they didn't realize that he was attached to Marine Division as a naval Coreman, and we know that they were looking for marine in particular following her murder, and he lies and in the files he claims to be in the Army, not the Navy, not the Marine Corps, in the Army. That's in the report, but that is often overlooked when people do their investigation.
Speaker 1: Okay, by the way, I'm going to talk to William Mann about his book and his investigation later down the line in our podcast.
Speaker 2: And I also want to mention that when we first heard about Man's book coming out towards the latter part of twenty twenty five, showed that he had paid Margolis as the likely suspect or as the suspect, and as had Alex in his investigative work. So the fact that these two people, Man and Baber, had no connection to each other, didn't know what the other was doing, and they both came to the same conclusion with well researched information kind of supports the fact that even beyond those two people's investigations, that he is likely the suspect. And that's let alone all the information that we've recovered that is great circumstantial evidence linking Merril Margolis.
Speaker 4: I just kind of want to add to that, it's it's funny that people are so sort of fast to push that narrative that he was cleared during the initial investigation, which means that all of this information that Alex has come up with today and that we verified with world renowned experts, we're just supposed to ignore because he was eliminated back in.
Speaker 5: Nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 4: And that just doesn't make sense as an investigator that you would ignore compelling evidence on an elimination that we really can't improve.
Speaker 1: This is kind of related, so sticking with the black value here, especially you two homicide detectives, your view of this and I, MITCHI, I know you've like looked through the four drawers of the cabinet and we've all seen the FBI files and the Grand Jewty flowles. What is your view of this investigation? And obviously things are different now, technology is way ahead of time and so forth. But there's this lure out there that this was a state of the art investigation. And I think if it was, you know, the police chief would not have called for a grand jury to refocus the case. I think if it was, they might have at least charged somebody, But no one was ever charged. No one was ever convicted of this crime. What is there a way to reach back almost eighty years and say this was a solid investigation. I know it deals with some detectives who are pretty famous, But I, as someone who's not a detective and who is complete amateur and probably doesn't know what I'm talking about, I see the string of things that were missed and ultimately led to the grand jury kind of taking over this case.
Speaker 4: What I can say about that is that, yes, the detectives at the time have very good reputations as smart, dedicated, hard working detectives. There is an abundance of investigative material. There's no doubt that there was heart and that there was just heart and soul, and they put everything into this investigation. But knowing how cases like this kind of get away from an investigator, you're never prepared in a case like this that it's a gruesome case and you're going to go in with it and give it all your investigators and give it everything that you have. But you're never prepared for the media to pick up on a case like this and just take it and run. And that's when a case like this can get away from you. And you're so busy and the department is so busy chasing down now leads from crank jobs and nuts and legitimate people and at the same time trying to just work the case that it can get away from you quickly and things there can be shortcuts made, or things can just get dropped because if anything, and just by reading and go and having access to those files, I can tell you that it would now if we had a murder like that, it would be worked completely different. It would be a ginormous task where so there would be the entire division in Robert Homicide would be would be given some role in that investigation, and it would be worked until it was so And I can tell you that that didn't happen back then. You know, there were a handful of detectives on it, and they pushed the case for initially for you know, and then it kind of just whittled down to the main investigators assigned to the case. And so although I can't fault their investigation, because I do think they worked very diligently and hard, it.
Speaker 5: Seems to me that.
Speaker 4: Just the immense amount of attention from the media outside from the public, that this case got away from them.
Speaker 2: And what I'll say about it is, you know, the new chief of police came in William Wharton in nineteen forty nine, and I can guarantee you, other than just looking at the overall overall operation of the police department as a new chief, one of the first things he was going to do would want to do is get a briefing on this case that had massive public interest, a lot of people working on it.
Speaker 4: UH.
Speaker 2: And obviously what he heard he did not like, because there is a whole news article about him saying that he felt it was a bungled investigation and it needed a new start, and he was the one that initiated the call to start a grand jury and kind of start from scratch and move forward through the through the evidence and through the UH the investigative steps that had already been taken, and maybe send it in a new direction. So obviously he wasn't happy with it for whatever reason. But he did in fact call it a quote unquote bungled investigation, So that's that's key.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to mention that that some of these documents that we're talking about, they'll they'll be available on killeringnecode dot com. I just want to add too.
Speaker 3: Whenever the grand injury closed out, Detective Frank P. Jamison for the DA's office, his last comment on his report, his personal report was that he advised the incoming grand jury to pick up the case again because he felt that they were close to identifying and getting some justice for Elizabeth Short and in the local newspaper articles, he actually dav is quoted as stating that the original investigation was subpar by his standards, as well as the other investigators.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm not giving the names of the people who sending these questions because we got many that are the same, so I'd have to give a whole list of names. So sorry about that if you're not getting credit for your question. But here's a one word for word that came in. Can you please address the elephant in the room that many on the internet are firmly convinced Arthur Lee Allen was the zodiacc Alex warning to take that one all right.
Speaker 3: So from the moment the movie was released in two thousand and seven, I remember the talk show, one of the leading talk shows, bringing in Jake Gildenhall as well as the individual that played Tashie on screen, which is Mark Bruffalo, And they said, are the audience is gonna be pissed when they leave the theater, that they're gonna believe that Arthur Lee Allen's is Zodiac even though he's not. And this interview is on YouTube if you get a chance to watch it, and they both chuckle a little bit and they're like, we assume. So with that being said, the movie two thousand and seven was based on Robert Graysmith's book that was released initially nineteen eighty six, revised and released in twenty eleven twenty twelve, and it points to Arthur Lee Allen, it's about as much fiction as it is nonfiction, to be honest with you. And that being said, to get down to the legal aspect of this, Mark Lee Allen was cleared by three of the top five forensic categories, that being handwriting which is the least my opinion, fingerprints, and then DNA, So three of the top five you you know, eliminate biometrics as being the other one as well as audio. This tells you right there that you got a guy that if I'm going to wager on, I'm not wagering on him as being the SDIAC.
Speaker 1: What is the source of the DNA.
Speaker 3: DNA they used was extracted from the stamps little of this letter from two thousand and four. They attempted to extract more DNA in twenty eighteen. Supposedly there's this individual behind the scenes whistleblower that said they were unable to distract in the DNA at all in twenty eighteen, so they revert back to the partial DNA extraction. And it is only partial, mind you, but they were able to eliminate him as well as all other suspects to date.
Speaker 1: Rick, were you going to say something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I have been told by someone that had control of the Zodiac case with the San Francisco Police Department from for years and that that person told me that Arthur Lee Allen, his connection has is bullshits thet the quote he used, and that he has been officially eliminated.
Speaker 1: So repeat itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's all I can say on that, And that's coming from somebody that's in the know of the Zodiac San Francisco case. There was also a potential, and I've never been able to confirm this, that there was some potential DNA extracted from a glove that was left at the crime scene inadvertently by the killer of Paul Stein, the cab driver.
Speaker 3: There's a question surrounding night glove. Just for the record, I'm not sure if it was left by a prior affair or if it actually belongs to the perpetrator beating the zodiac. It was found in the front floorboard. It was it was Dunstan blood, guys, because you had Paul Stein's blood that was it filled the floorboard panel if you look at the photograph. So they're unsure the origin of that as well, but there isn't a DNA that's been extracted from that.
Speaker 1: You are correct. This is the perfect time to bring up handwriting analysis since you mentioned that Arthur Lee Allen was partially one of the clearances was on handwriting comparison. That was very important to your investigation, Alex, because it was like pursuing handwriting examples from Marvin Margolas Slash, Marvin Merrill slash, many other names that you met with his son to get handwriting examples, and of course you got the sketch which is at the center of our investigation. But whatever, what's the latest or where are we on handwriting analysis on this case?
Speaker 3: Okay, So we have one confirmation that we had in our back pocket and we started this and we had one received last nighte from any Great Forensic Services who's also confirmed aid that he can't eliminate more Margolis as the author of any of the letters, including the Zodiac or Black Dalua. The reason being is because there's capital box letters that are not personal in description, as well as lowercase incursive that we supplied him with. But he also said that there was evidence suggesting that Marvin Margoles was the author of the Zodiac letters. So we have a win win situation. We have not one but two experts independently confirming, one be on the side of a doubt his opinion, the other one saying that he can't be eliminated and that he is in most likelihood the author of the zodiac letters.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I just want to also add, and obviously I am not an expert and Mitzi is not an expert in handwriting, but we both handled cases we're handwriting, and so we spent time with question document examiners with LAPD who handle hundreds and hundreds of these cases a year, and so you pick up some things just from live listening to them and they're now learning about their analysis on our cases. And just for me looking at some of the letters, I'm not saying all of them, but some of the letters are so unique that I just my gut feeling as wow, this is pretty strong stuff. Again, I'm not a court qualified expert, but using common sense and the stuff we've learned from question document Zamer's, I would say it looks pretty good, and especially in some of the cursive lower case cursive things.
Speaker 3: I believe that the general public would have to agree with this guy. So I don't think I've read one comment that's negative about the handwriting similarities.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll put some of those up on the website as well, where you can see the comparison and also correct me if I'm wrong or actually say this better than me Alex. But in the world of handwriting analysis, if you see one thing that doesn't match, you have to eliminate. And so when our latest review or analysis comes back and says that Margola slash Merrill cannot be eliminated, that means they saw nothing that doesn't match. I'm saying this wrong, but I'm saying it's a very high standard.
Speaker 3: Correct, You're correct, Michael, if they see one indication or a red flag, at that point, they have to acknowledge that, meaning that they have to state that this individual either there's any probability that he's not the author or that he isn't the author.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we had none of that, and either of our do analysis made by separate company, separate people. They probably know each other because it's a small group, I think.
Speaker 3: But they didn't actually know each other because I didn't make it aware to them when we requested that we get their independent analysis. I didn't want them to be aware one another. I wanted them to come back and see if they came to the same conclusion, which they both did.
Speaker 1: This is running longer than I thought and planned, so we're going to actually break this into two parts, and so we'll be back. You can take a break now. I'm talking to our listeners, not you three, but we're going to end this one this podcast, and there'll be a part two. I'm Michael Connolly, and you've been listening to Killer in the Code Solving the Black Dahlia and Zodiac cases. That concludes the first half of our roundtable discussion, where we take in questions from the listening audience. If you've enjoyed it, check out chapter eight, where we continue the discussion. Thank you for listening.