Speaker 1: Salisbury. Oh, very Salisbury Houston.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this Sewn Salisbury to usc Troup's longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: Dan Matthew, excuse, this is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 1: Here's the one up ground ball toward the middle.
Speaker 4: Mauricio Dubon playing there, the short stuff just to the left.
Speaker 1: Of second base. He throws out Tucker and that's the third out of the end, the one oh.
Speaker 5: And that's in high in the air to the left, over toward the corner, over his hat on the warning track at the wall looking up see Atlanta d of Atlantris Crawford boxes hot al two May with a two run homer and the Astros lead two to.
Speaker 1: H thing l two as thirteen. He's a time the two.
Speaker 5: Playing in a mess overpowered them with a ninety nine mile r ball and down Gohost Watson side retired Brian Aprayu six up, six down, complete two innings of relief for the first time in nearly two years.
Speaker 1: They could have brought Babooth.
Speaker 5: The pitch is popped up first base side foul ground das over by the Astros dugout as a.
Speaker 1: Play, makes the catch and fat is the ball game.
Speaker 5: The Houston Astros take two out of three from the Chicago Cubs wedding today, two to nothing. Jose Altuve the big swing, and the Astros arms did the rest.
Speaker 6: Indeed they did, Robert Ford in indeed that is true, cho aspata, And with that we say away we go in Good morning here on the Sean Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety. You just heard Robert Ford give you the details of how yesterday at dyke In Park went Sean six games, five of them in the correct column. And Theros now with an off day before you start up six games on the road, first three against the Rockies in Colorado and then the end of the week in your old neck of the woods against the defending world champs.
Speaker 1: Absolutely be this should be an opportunity. Well, they should go dominate Colorado. Right, we'll get to that as the week wears on July fourth week, mind you, so sure a lot of people are getting on their vacations and doing their thing. Good morning, and I hope you got all. They're starting to pop the fireworks already. I heard it last night. A little premature, right, just just a tad early. Save those dogs, let them have a little reskp say yeah, one night, I understand, but don't make it seven right. Yeah?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 1: It was a good, good weekend. They take care of another series and pitching has been lights out other than the aberration, which I'm sure we'll get into Saturday, which begs the question, who what are we going to get in this city? Getter? What is he going to get the colors out of his game? Where's it going? I'm looking at the future now, Just what happens Saturday? What's going on? Because unfortunately for he and Gusta, it was a rough Saturday, you know what I'm saying. But you know it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. I guess it happened to happen. When it happens to a guy who's been hurt and has shown flashes of brilliance in the ups and downs, I think it begs the question where do you go from here? Right? And it does, so we'll get into that. But you know you're gonna have those in the Cubs are a good team. They took advantage of it and a couple of huge innings and on Saturday, but bounce back and from Weer just mows him down, man, he just did did his thing with great help from the bullpen, and the back ended their did their gig and Al two ve got the clutch hit again over and weren't overly explosive offensively on Sunday, but they got the key hit when needed, and a pitching when you don't give up much or any, you don't lose, and it doesn't matter if you score one. When you don't give up any. It looks like you beat him seventeen to one. But it was other than the trip up on saturd which I'm sure a lot of people will end up focusing on. The good stuff is is that they're what fifty and thirty four or something right on the number. You just got ready four right there. It's it's pretty spectacular the way that they're playing. And and you know, go and dominate the next few weeks and get yourself into the All Star break feeling comfortable and hopefully closer to health.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: Now, I think both of those things are important details. I mean, you know, we have Dana Brown on every single Sunday for Astro launch with Robert Ford, and he went through some of those things. We'll get to those, but I mean you know the good before we get to like you said, the Saturday is, I mean, first and foremost, I think offensively the good Cam Smith. He's not afraid man, I mean he It's one of those now where I think that he believed that he could. Now he knows that he can. And Friday night it was all right, you guys trade me.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 6: And I thought that was pretty interesting from Dana Brown yesterday where they revisited the trade and he straight up said, he goes. We told them if he's not in this deal, we're not making this deal.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that. I got to turn my mic on. I believe the only reason they ended up making the deal is because that the closing part of that deal was it's him or we don't do this. I don't see how judging from the name before they even came here, the names involved it was Nesky and what uh and and perettis they and then you Cam wasn't the throw in. Cam was d piece for them to do. And you can see Go rolls right through spring training kicks but comes in here and has gotten better the whole time. Even when he went through the lull early like young players do, he was remember the question I asked when we talked about I said, how will he handle failure and success? That that's what will judge me, not when he goes over for how he handles it, because he'll go through those where he's sit in one ninety seven, and he'll go through where he's had a couple of games where he's good, and then somewhere he feels overwhelmed and you know, adjusting to right field and all that and at the plate. But they saw something and he proved that and he earned that right because the way he played in the spring, he just dominated and he gave him as I say, he made it impossible for them not to keep him if impossible exists, but about as impossible as it can for a young prospect trying to get a shot at a major league level. Early, he did everything possible to say there's no way you can send me down. And then when they kept him up here through the struggles, he just fought through it and kept going. And now you got him where you trust him in the four hole, you know what I'm saying. So it's he's different, and you could say people could say what everything want. I know, it's young and in infancy his career, but you can see it with the naked eye. It's not hard. And then you talk about all the deep stuff that's scouting and the manager and all the people who do their due diligence and part of this trade to get him. What makes him special, that's for them to decide, because they see him every day, how he prepares and does this thing. We kind of see it from a distance, but from a distance it's pretty simple to see why. I'm always asking the question why, and he answers it and has gotten better all year long. He's a special player, and I'm with him. You don't get to have Kyle Tucker and a guy who's an All Star and an MVP candidate. Damn near feels like when he's healthy every year, you don't get to have him. And then turn around and give us, you know, some players, but without giving us a guy who we expect to be We got rid of the guy and now going in and I'm not sure they thought he was going to be a right fielder, but we got rid of a guy who's a got ten years of great baseball left in him. And then you bring in a guy that you're hoping has that kind of baseball in him. Well, what a brilliant move to say, it's either cam Smith and this deal is not happening. And look what he's done here, and look with Kyle it's worked. It's not always that trade works both ways for both teams. At least are in the infancy of it. And it has the sands the injury to wizn Esky. But Cam Smith's a different cat. Dude, he is, and I you know, for me, I said, there's no way you send him now. Let him learn here and see what he's got. It's like a quarterback that starts as a rookie. I ain't pulling him out after two bad starts. Now I understand what happened to Bryce Young after just about seven or eight it gets overwhelming. Sure, but I'm not pulling a guy out. You don't. I'm not. You don't get the bail on me that quickly. Not that they wanted to, but I'm not letting you off the hook that easy. You're going to find out what it's like to take, you know, punches to the face and see how you deal with it. I need to know that if I'm a coacher and a team because if there's fragility in the personality or the emotional side of it. There's probably always gonna be I've never met a great player I'm talking about it came in as a rookie too, there was fragile personality wise. Never I bet guys who you know, all of a sudden were great players and just it just didn't work out right. But it had zero to do with how mentally tough they were. They just couldn't hit a curveball or a quarterback that was just wasn't accurate or wide receiver that hey, he wasn't afraid of anything. His hands just weren't as good as the guy next to him. He wasn't as precise as outrunner. If they're great, I'm talking about going in you said that guy is special or a great player. But if they got eliminated the great player that I've been around that there's been great talent that's been eliminated because they weren't emotionally tough. But I've never seen a great producer or a guy that you see that that came in, whether he was a first year guy or ninth yeer guys. My point that was emotionally and mentally soft they couldn't handle great success or failure. Now I've met plenty that couldn't handle it, that were talented, but that you knew that from beginning to end. If they were fragile early, they were going to be fragile late. Does that make it they're all worried about what everybody else said. If they weren't fragile early, they weren't going to be fragile late. Some may get a little chippy at the end of their career because they want to hang on two extras. I'm talking about when they're there. I've never played with a good player that was a rookie that had a fragile personality that ended up being a star. I haven't played welle. Now, somebody outse there may be the outlier and the operation. I'm sure there is. The guys I've been around, whether it was college, whether it was playing in the NFL, whether I was my senior year and a freshman came in, Like when we had Tim McDonald, the great safety from the player with the forty years who, by the way, should probably be a Hall of Fame or at least close. Tim McDonald was a couple of years behind us my class when he came in. Put him in there. There was nothing fragile about it. I used him because we could talk about the Marcus sounds like a guy that maybe not a lot of people talk about, but was a great player and a great athlete. You knew as a rookie, as a freshman at SC that he was different and it didn't matter if he missed a tackle, and then he was a I mean, he would hit you, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter if you bench him if he missed a tackle. If he missed it, it didn't matter. He wasn't coming to the sideline worried about what you were thinking. In fragile, ever, ended up being a great player in college, ended up being a great plan in pro I have yet to meet a guy that was fragile as a rookie or fragile young that all of a sudden became a tough person. Now some may grind through it, but in my life being around these great players that I've been fortunate enough to watch do their work, and I think cam Smith, at least early on, has all those traits that if he fails, or as success he fails, it isn't going to be because he's fragile personality wise, it's just not He may struggle with something else along the way, hopefully it's not injuries or anything like that. But the great players I've been around, you may think they're fragile from a distancer, you may question them. They don't ever worry about them questioning themselves or if they can handle getting knocked down. The great players were tough as a rookie and tough in their tenth year. And I'm talking about mentally and emotionally tough. I think this kid's got that. I don't care if he strikes out twenty times in a row. Physically, he may go on and he may try harder and all that, but I'm talking about I guarantee he ain't going home sitting there thinking I can't come out of this. And the other side is if you were fragile early brother, and you have confidence, and you were fragile, I know you're trying to fit in. We all have that. But I'm talking about you know that. What I'm I'm about that at the slightest adversity, the guy semi wilts, you know that guy. I've never seen a guy who had that fragile personality as a rookie turn into ooh, he all of a sudden became mister non fragile. It's rare. It's rare.
Speaker 6: It's that's DNA brother, and that's in that that's in the bloodstream, and you know a lot of times that's the saying he's got it. I think in this case it's he's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did. None of us know what it is. But when you when you do it all and you get all the players sitting in one side of the room in any sport that have it. Connor McDavid, you look at this kid, Cam Smith, Jeremy pill find Jeremy Pania, go go look at Shay gilgis out whoever it is. It's you know, there's there's just something different where they walk on and you forget, or on the golf course, Tiger, you forget that they're the age, they are right and well whatever it isn't just that you can throw it hard. But that was the case, we'd have a lot of it. Factor. It factor I think comes from this non tent the things you can't see very often. I think it's the intangible stuff that does, whether it's their work they're doing the lonely work, working without not worried about that, not reading press clippings good or bad. Just stay in the course and not letting anything detour them or take them on a detour from their training. And if somebody does push them on a detour, they know how to train, They know how to get things done on the detour without without poutin and whining about it. So, yeah, man, it's the IT factor doesn't usually come from stuff we can see. It usually comes from stuff we can't, camp Smith. All the stuff you can't see is brilliant. All the stuff you can't see, if you haven't seen it yet, I think that we're probably then you're not paying attention because he's just Those guys like him are built different. And I'm not sure you can buy that in a store, buddy, now, can't be coached, can't be taught. It's either you got it or you don't. It's it's that simple. And camp Smith, I think we can agree. Hitting two seventy six with a seven to seventy seven ops, he definitely fits that mold, all right. Three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone line seven one three two one, two, five, seven ninety. But coming up, we are inching closer to the trade deadline and a lot of people have their opinions on the ASTROS priority. I think the priority is clearly defined and we'll talk about it right here. It is the Sean Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: This Sean Salisbury Show continues to continue.
Speaker 1: They had a bunch of miss putts with opportunities, but there was a bunch of they would get he and Grazerman and Chris Kirk getting Chris Kirk getting after it, and they all had chances to close it out, but just you know, a lot of balls just edged the cup and rolled out and then finally pop Geeter on their fifth playoff hole. I think it was the par five where they both they both breathed in. I think of the par three is what he wanted. I watched the whole turn. I can't remember. They've got so many playoffalls. I think they wanted again on the second time they went back and played I think fifteen. But yeah, it was because Max Grazerman came up short and missed his punt. He rolled by, and then finally Poteater knocked it in. But average three thirty four, dude. In the par five five hundred and fifty eight yards, and Grazerman's not short. He went three thirty one and he had three thirty eight or three thirty for a pot Geater averaged almost three forty off the tee during the entire week in Detroit, he went driver eight iron to a five hundred and sixty yard par five.
Speaker 6: You would think that eight iron would mean that you're laying up, he said. Now eight iron is me going for it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what you have to understand about this. Think about this. You played, you've played with good Your brother's a good golfer. Yeah, I've played with a lot of good golfers. At times. I've got enough in me to you know, you know, reach a par five and when you smoke a drive and hit it. But I'm talking about good players that I play with. It are pretty long, right, Smoke a drive. You're staring with that, especially when it's surrounded by trouble. You're staring if you want to get to a par five and two and somebody five sixty, good buddy, If you hit it three hundred, you got to go to sixty, dude. Yeah, so that's probably a long that's probably three would you're hitting three wood if you even want to make it, unless you want to make it a three shot hole, and through two hundred and sixty yard three wood for a non pro ninety seven times out of one hundred you ain't getting there. And the only other times if you hit a sprinkler head or that two sixty with a three wood for mo for well, for a plus ten handicap, he's never he's never getting there unless it's down wind, downhill. But on that course, most normal ones are you you got to smoke a par three to get it somewhere, so you can hit a little flip lob wedge in it's half lobwedds, you get it close. But if you're fortunate it's downwind, you hate your best drive of the day and you hit a three wood just you know, flush right right. And those I talk about good players that we play it like a three handicap. He ain't hitting five iron from two sixty eight. Okay, this dude, they smoke it. He's carrying. They're going drive for eight iron. That's not a par five. They mean, what do we got to do? Lengthen them? The seven hundred yards it's it's amazing. I know they've been their clubs with you know, different angles and lofts and lies than we do. I get it. My eight iron is supposed to go. What a buck sixty five and their eight iron is supposed to go. I saw. I watched the Grazerman hit a two hundred and ten yard eight iron yesterday. Now it can be down, it doesn't matter when it is. Ay come back and pot Eaters hitting one fifty nine nine iron, So the change is weird, but due you're averaging three thirty fourth to te and you got to hit fairways for it, I believe count just like you would in a long drive contest. And then did a pumping eight iron in there when most of the rest of the world's hitting three iron and most and good golfers have to think twice about it. Good good players. So it's pretty impressive man. And it's one thing five iron and eight iron for those guys. It's a world of difference when you got those two different clubs in your hand right where you expect to hit it. It was fun to watch the Great Cup competition. It's got to be harder on the dads and the moms are sitting there watching with every putt and good on that the last two guys were with Grazermen and pot Geter both would have been there if he was their first win on the PGA Tour, and pot Geter got his. And that was like four or five times in the last year that Grazerman's finished in second, but hanging around. One of these times they'll break through.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a fun watch and they finally pot Geter finally made a putt. Well, it's just it's it's good to get that experience. And then he had to win in those situations right, applies to team sports too well.
Speaker 6: And that's what is so great about golf too, is that immediately after you can get you know, whoever lost, Like I mean, good on Chris Kirk too, where he loses, he's out of the playoff.
Speaker 1: Too seconds, within thirty seconds he was doing an interview. Yeah yeah, good, oh yeah, because he he had a chance twice on short puts and couldn't make them to put it away. But his swing is about as pretty as you'll ever see.
Speaker 6: Got some got some good young golfers out there, do we have and we got to see it yesterday. So a couple of weeks away from the British Open too, so me and you will get morning golf where that Thursday, me and Gordy will be at SEC media days. But then that Friday, sure as you're born, wake.
Speaker 1: Up and they're they're in the they're in the middle of a round, which is I do too. I know we always when I was playing, we always we'd get up early, you know, before football practice, training camp, and we get up early for the British Open and you'd be saiding, they're getting have breakfast. I would have wake up a little early, and it's it's on your dad. They're already going, right, okay, this is cool. So at that point, yeah, pretty awesome. So yeah, it's some good golf. But we do have some good young players, dude. These teenagers and these twenty year olds and twenty five now experience matters, but some of them are so naive to the to the pressure of it. They're thinking, I'm twenty I'm gonna win fifty. We talked about Marino, I'm gonna win thirty more times on tour. So they probably throw caution to the win a lot of times because they I mean, they're firing they're short sided them, so they're firing it pins that you're like, dude, and they're twenty, so they did the fear when you hit it three forty is kind of taken out and man of pie, if this kid continues to get back, imagine this at twenty your winning turns hitting three forty. How good are you gonna be when you actually know how to play? You know what I mean? Yeah, So it's uh, it's impressive. And they a lot of times these young players don't have any idea that they're supposed to be pressure and they sit back and let it rip. Golf some pretty good shape. Even though we don't have the Tiger Woods effect, we sure as hell got some good players. Man, they can smoke it that we do.
Speaker 6: And we saw that yesterday up in Detroit the Rocket Classics. So Aldrich Pottkeater your winner.
Speaker 1: And great, great, they're gonna enjoy saying his name over the next twenty years. I kind of got I think they liked. I think they like saying both his first and last year. Oh you know, I'll look at you know, Chris Kirk. And they liked when they say, oh, shawflet's playing great golf. Scheffler or Scottie. They refer to him by his first name, but about a million times yesterday, Aldrich Pottkey. They couldn't wait to say his day. Andrew cattle On, Andrew cattle On.
Speaker 6: It almost kind of felt like went out of his way because he was in for nance and it was every single time pot Gater pott Geter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he loved saying his name. It's almost kind of like not a he or not a there he is, it's a pot Geter. I mean they it was like it felt like a right of passage.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: This name. It's going to be a great name from South Africa.
Speaker 6: It's almost a name like you would hear for a guy playing out of like I don't know, a seat in hall or somewhere in the in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 1: Ye, Jonas pott Geter, Yeah right, Aldrick pott Geater. He's like he's like a nineteen year old that came over and is like like Sibonis, right, he's a really good player. Oh my gosh, this kid when he's and he's like nineteen playing was dominating the Euros right right, And he comes over here and they're like, oh, this guy was picked fourth in the draft. Guy's a monster talent and his name was Aldrick pott Geeter. Yeah, power forward, Aldric pot Geter. Yeah, I can see that pot Geter for three. I could totally see Andrew Cattle. And we've gotten to know Andrew cattalong quite a bit around here. I mean, he was on almost every single Texans game last year and then he called the what was it Milo's using put back off the glass or the inbound He's a he's a you got a good, good feature. It looks like they're trying to groom him to take over for because because when Nance isn't doing it, and when he takes a little time off on on events that maybe we don't consider bigger events. Although the guy won yesterday is two million dollars rich, it's a big event because of FedEx Cup points and it's a win on tour. It's I think Catalan feels like he's the heir apparent whenever Jim decides it. He's ready to quit doing golf in football because we know he's done doing the NC two A tournament. So but Jim still got along round ahead of him. But it's nice that Jim gets to take some weekends off and Catalan does a nice job. They got a good crew. Our golf crews are pretty good. I think Dottie Pepper, you know, when they talk about female broadcasters, forget talking about female or male. She's and I know it's golf, and they don't spend a lot of time when they're when you're foot soldiers on the golf course, they give insight and give you I think Dottie Pepper for years, she's as good as the guys are. Forget just say comparing her well, she as good as this woman when it comes to just good. I mean, she's understated, gives you great insight on it because she was the hell of a player, gives you great insight without over talking, and is fan and her vibe with the with the guys on the on the tour, on the broadcast group, I think she's really good. Nobody talks about her, maybe because it's she doesn't get him get paid by the word doing play by play or color and she's but I'm just telling you right now, you could feel quite comfortable if nance talked to her for two hours about and they're going. You'll learn a lot listening to Dottie pepperdew golf so good on her. I just like the the vibe of it when they're when they're going good and they're giving each other a hard time and Novolo's in there talking. I do. I like it. And I think they're I think they're pretty loaded. And I think Trevor Immoman's opinionated, got a little bit of nick foul and him he's not afraid to criticize, you know what I'm saying, which is good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he he's no brand of shambly. Shambly is the guy that just lets it go. But no, Dottie does a great job.
Speaker 1: And then I believes and been in plenty arguments with TG Tour players. It's it's almost on a daily weekly basis, like it's he wears it as a badge of honor.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, he absolutely does if somebody's upset with him. And then I guess was it Coltonnast cult knows.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Now he's the funny guy.
Speaker 6: He's the now the David Faride on the CBS crew, and he was yesterday they were talking about that. I think it was the fifth playoff hole where he was like, hey, guys, this keeps going. I think I'm gonna switch spots with you because the feed are starting to hurt you.
Speaker 1: He told that the catalogt he goes, hey did they go one more playoff? Hole? My feet are hurting. We'll switch and see, so we're switching holds, right, you can call from the course. I'll be follow right, you follow. But he's got some good one liners like, oh boy, he's gonna need a he gonna he's gonna have to hit as far as he did the Hole before a little bit short. I mean, just he's got some really clever one liners. It's a good group man, and Dottie Pepper is really good. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now they they've definitely been able to keep the continuity over there. I mean even you know when they moved on from Peter Costas and then I'm trying to remember it to the Cord Yeah Gary McCord, Yeah, yeah, he was always great too. So no, it's it's definitely a fun watch for sure. And a couple of weeks away, like I said, from the British Open, let's get back to the Astros because the trade deadline rumors are flying and they are fast and furious, and some of them makes sense.
Speaker 1: Some of them just really don't. We'll talk about it right here.
Speaker 6: It is a Sean Salisbury show on a Monday Sports Talk seven ninety. The seven ninety listener line in the six o'clock hour is brought to you by one eight hundred car cash and it will definitely not happen. Now, that was the thing that cracked me up the most. Sean is everybody with his opting out, Oh, it sets up for him to make a return to Houston. I said, stop. They had the opportunity two years ago, supposedly had the meeting, and I think, if I'm not mistaken, at that point, emy Udoka said, yeah, not for me.
Speaker 1: Why would you bring him back here? I mean why once he left, what would what would bring him back here? See, you can't win a championship pretty much, no disrespect to the guy who's been a hell of a player. He's going to the Hall of Fame, got an MVP. But let's the guy doesn't win titles. He doesn't bring out the best in his teammates. He just doesn't. That doesn't mean he's not a good player, and he's not a passing savant and got good basketball like you. He's a great scorer, and there's no doubt, but some guys we talked about that in factor, some guys don't make well. He may be better, he doesn't make everybody around him better. There's nothing you could have done that said, unless they were going to give him away. You say bring him here, but I'm not sure it would have been good for this team or for young players.
Speaker 2: Eye.
Speaker 1: While he's a talented player, special talent, he does not make your teammates better. He just doesn't. So An you bring him here. If you want to bring him here, go ahead, then assure yourself you're not winning a championship for whatever. Oil Sewan, you don't think adding him with Durant And you know, I'm just saying this current team, sure it's not even in question, but just saying hyperbolic obviously, And Shan Goon and Amen Tims, you don't think they're No, I actually don't. I actually think Fred van Vliet's better at that position for this team. Why distributor and well Harden can do it all. There's just a different feel about what a real teammate is. Does that make sense? And hard and special talent, but he wasn't special at elevating everybody around him. No, he is. Thank you. Just to understand this, in my opinion, there's guys like that that are so talented. James Harden as a star. Now he may go to a team, be the seventh man and win an NBA title. James Harden, when he is the guy that's going to carry you, will not win an NBA title as the star of a team. He just won't. You could stick him. In a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet you any amount of money you want stick him in Oklahoma City right now for next year. They will not win the championship. They'll get worse. Well, he'll get bet because he's a good player and he can score. He can like we talk about Kevin Durant. He can fall out of bed and score twenty eight thirty hard and can he can? Is that gifted? But just because you're that gifted doesn't mean you make everybody better. They go there, they're not one of the title too. And I'm just telling you they're not. And if they can't. If he came here, I believe it would have slowed down the process of getting to where they want to go. HiT's a reason why they didn't do it and after he left. Sometimes you just got to say, listen, there's been a good run. No, no grudge, not for us. I remember that's exactly right somewhere else. But I'm just going by history. We want to talk about back of cards. There's two things that are true. He'll score and you won't win a ring. I mean, in history tells you that. And I'm only going what I know, and I mean, I'm this ain't made up stuff. He can score, he's a great offensive player. You're not going to win a title, and he's got no athing to show for it. And you want me to name the teams he's been on or should we leave that one alone? No, I think we can look at it.
Speaker 6: Okay, a pretty good idea, right The basketball card is is easy to find, but Google in the meantime will definitely how much you.
Speaker 1: Want, how much you want to bet the Clippers aren't winning the NBA Championship next year.
Speaker 6: I don't have any argument, because I mean, I've never looked at them, and hey.
Speaker 1: No, disrespect a lot of great players there. I can say the same thing about quarterbacks. You can. You can go through right now and we could have over the course of time said it before, I never felt, you know, as much as his talent was like, he was a talented guy, and I like him. I think he's funny as hell. When Jay Cutler was the guy like in Denver and went to Chicago, you knew you could, Oh, man, they're gonna they've got this throat. You're never winning one. There's something missing from talented is all get out smart, smart ass, rip it, smoke a cigarette and throw a touchdown pass. No doubt you weren't winning one. And there's things that you can look at the current guys and go through. Man, that guy's a good play. He's not winning one. Well, that's a fact. And as good as Cousins has been numbers one, he's not winning one. It's just not gonna happen as a starter. So there's certain guys around the league that you just kind of know that they're really good put up numbers, but aren't. And Hardens that guy win an MVP, but he'll leave the league unless he gets one as a backup or late in his career as a star. He will leave the NBA without a ring on his finger, at least an Nbahampionship ring.
Speaker 6: Well, there's not a lot of people who disagree with you, and the Rockets obviously like the way that they are going where you bring back Jabari Smith Junior, rumors that they could bring in Dorry and Finney Smith, who could be somebody else that could be a good bench option for you, especially when you factor in that Jabbari and or Tari Eastern are gonna be kicked into the starting five.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and so you got a good thing going here. Alls you're trying to do is add to it, not disrupt it. And every time I watch them make another move, I start to trust that they get it. And I mean I've always trusted, but even more so that not only do they get it, but they're with Udoka and with rafel Stone and the direction there's a page. I think they probably challenge each other, which is a good thing. They're not all sitting on the same page all the time. You got to be able to battle over those things what's best for the team. I like that when you have guys like that. But when they get right down to it, they have roles defined now, and I think in the past we weren't sure. At times in the distant past that roles weren't defined but you bring in the right GM, you got the right cut, and I thought Darryl Moorey did a really good job and Tad but they had some great they did, but unfortunately some of the play on the court and how you had to do it and trying to go get stars didn't work out so with that, but they've got it back to it now and I feel like they've got roles defined and they're making decisions, and their decisions are all based on what gives us the best chance to win, not having to kiss some stars ass because he's been in the city for a while and I like that. Now.
Speaker 6: It's definitely a plan being put to use over there with the Rockets, and it's going to be interesting to see if the plan continues to evolve for them, which does seem like that is the case. But Rogers, do you want to get in on the Astros? Definitely do want to get into some of that discussion, because we saw something over the weekend that I think tells you a lot of what to expect from this team. We'll discuss that here. It is a Sean Salisbury Show on a Monday Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 3: The Sean Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 9: And it to know No.
Speaker 5: Now, you know.
Speaker 6: There's a report out there from Bob Nightingale that Cedric Mullins of the Orioles is somebody at the Astros could possibly target left handed hitter, as we've heard Dana Brown talk about left handed bat outfield too, So that could fit another need for you left field, is what it seems like if they brought him here. But that's to your point where I'm getting to, because I don't need a left fielder.
Speaker 1: And you don't need a center fielder right now either work.
Speaker 6: You don't need a right fielder either, So that's where I mean. I think if nothing else, it would be a bench move. But you know, to your point, I mean, I've said it numerous times about hose A l two va astecond base. I just I don't trust him defensively there to believe that that is the best lineup that you can put out there. And I mean it seems like at least at times that Joe A. Spotta feels the same way. But Katie Bill, one of our brings up a good point here is he throws this out to me yesterday. Imagine this lineup with just Alvarez back Painia leading off, Peretis l twov out and left, and Alvarez as the DH Smith and Wright ds catching walk her over at first and then eight and nine. This gets me a little excited Myers and center with as well as he swung the bat, even if he cools off a little bit, he's still performed above what you expected out of him this year, and in Dubon at second base, that's a solid one through nine that I really do feel I can make a run.
Speaker 1: Can you survive a season with al two v playing average second base?
Speaker 6: If he plays average, then yes, But I just don't believe that he can play average second base.
Speaker 1: I think he's playing below average second base. I think I think that he definitely has the propensity to do that. Yes, I do. Okay, so let me give you a lineup that I thinks that may be better. This allows me to utilize Dubon wherever I can put the Hall of Fame if you want, If if Mullins becomes a factor, let's just just for the hell of it. He's a good player. Baltimore just hit this was Nobody saw this coming for the Orioles this year. No nobody. Now the question in Baltimore. Are you going to sell or you're gonna you got too many good young players? Consider it the aberration. And let's the if I if I was, you know, I'm not. They're not looking for my advice. But you ain't. You ain't starting to jump ship with that great young town on that team. Now, Mullins, I get, but you know the holidays and the you know from the catchers, I mean you're not. They've got three or four players that got dire I mean, well even more than that. They're young. They all look alike, all those they look like they just walked off Tennessee and Vanderbilt campuses, right, But they're loaded. So let me ask this lineup. What about Paneline Novitch short hitting, you know, Paradus number two or whoever paratus to alt V. I don't care how you do that. But al Twov's at second. Put him in his position. He's going to get inducted in the Hall of Fame at just just hear me out, Dubon. You're still using all over regardless of the batting. So in the three hole you got al two, they playing second base. Jordan comes back in Dhent and then you have the walker Yainer Diaz somewhere in that range five to six. Cam Smith right, so you got your right Jake Myers so rightfield, left field. However, they're going to work the lineup. What if I told you you put Mullins in left field and al two A at second, That lineup's better than the one you gave me, especially when you add another left handed bat to it. Well.
Speaker 6: I mean, and Mullins is probably going to be traded by Baltimore because he is a free agent next year.
Speaker 1: So I see that move there. Just Baltimore is not going to tear that thing apart. There's too many plays.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're not going to see Adlie Rutchman or anybody traded away like that's that's.
Speaker 1: Not realizing because if you get rid of them, you got to go get young players dis like them.
Speaker 6: But another guy that I mentioned, and I mean it's been pushed back on a little bit, but the recent last five or six starts out of Charlie Morton have been five six innings a piece out of him.
Speaker 1: Do you hate him Charlie Morton? I would absolutely take him, yes, for sure. Oh I think this city would welcome him. Yes, And I think he's comfortable here are you? What do you want more? Left handed bat, right handed pitcher, right handed pitcher?
Speaker 6: Because Saturday showed me that Saturday showed me that is as good as Colton Gordon, which he wasn't the problem obviously, he pitched well on Friday. But Lance McCullers Junior, I mean, it's twofold with him his performances like that that can happen.
Speaker 1: And it's also the injury thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, as much as I love the guy, as much as I want to see him pitch, and as much as I hope that he is successful every time he's out.
Speaker 1: There on the mound, I just don't know who I'm going to get. This has nothing to do for me with whether I like the guy. I want him successful because I want him successful. I like him with that, we don't even need to qualify that you're one hundred percent crack. I want to see him kick ass. But when I'm watching him this year, it feels to me that there's not a And I think the one start he grinded it out, scattered some hits and hung in there, but it's a when he's going good. And I guess you can say this about a lot. But like for instance, Fromber's got to the point, even if he's not dominating you, we've seen it a couple starts. He'll hang in for six and two thirds or six and a third and scatter some hits and grind through it and give you an average performance, but a chance to still win an average performance based on how good he is. But those barahmas with Lance right now, And I know, but I can't judge him because he's been hurt in the path and talk about the arm, because if you're running him out there and starting him, then he's healthy. So I can't say, yeah, but he's still it's first, it's eighty his first eighty games back since better. I can't look at it like that. If you're running him out there, I judge him like he's a top five, like he's one of my five starters. For me, it looks a bit like did he When he's going good, he'll get you twelve strikeouts, You're like, damn, he's back. And then when he's going bad, you're like, he can't get anybody out the happy medium where he can grind through a bad And when I say this, I don't think he mentally thinks this, But when he's out front and things are going well early, you're looking good, I think he has a little bit of trouble at least maybe And I don't even know if the metrics point out, but from watching his starts this year, I almost feel like when he's getting when when the ball stays on the same plane, the speeds are not you know that everything's changed, and there's not a lot of change in much that he's doing now. Most would get raked. But I don't know if right now he knows how to give you a performance. It's average but hang in there. That not not mentally or that he's not tough enough, but it's either it's it's almost a well, it's almost like a golfer. You're either hitting making birdies or double bogies right, You're not making a lot of pars in between. Sure, And I feel like that with him, that he's got the ability to go out there and say, damn this, throw a no hitter, then he's also got the ability to not get out of the second inning. And and instead of where it's like okay, if you walk three in the first inning, stick with him. He'll grind it out I'll see in five and two thirds. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just feels like that to me. So and I understand your trust factor in him, because I don't think that they probably are. Well. Yeah, he's a no brainer, single elimination right now. And it's Lance mc colors and you got it, and it's his start, his turn, and it's Lance mccullors or. Pick one of the other guys, not one of the starters. Pick you pick one that you like. You said, not one of the starters, not not one of not from ber Hunter Brown. Okay, give me and give me another one that you like. Do you trust the most out of the other ones, I said, Colton Gordon. It was Brandon Walter on Friday. Okay, Walter mccullor's game on the line right now, Walter today, Now, yeah, the way passed. You almost have to write. Yeah, So that that that's where the decisions they're gonna have to make. And I hope we're I hope Lance gets in this where the keeps growing and growing and thanks change and he's dominant because when he's good, dude, the guy is as good as stuff as anybody on the staff. As we know that. But that that's something I have to make. But look at this, we're complaining. You're talking about going and get Charlie Morton, and we're talking about the possibility of going and getting Mulleins, And what is the platoon? Guys? Are you going to start him and move to bond back to platoon and put more jose Al to bad second base? Whatever that is? And they're fifteen and thirty four, and that of course is valid. So do you need and you wouldn't. I don't know how much you had with waste pitching. Probably more, but you had Charlie Moore too, who wouldn't want Charlie Morton had to especially the way he's going. What are you gonna have to give up? That's the thing you have to decide. I wouldn't imagine it's a lot where Charlie is in his life, but probably more than you thought you'd have to give up with the ways pitching. Well, I mean, is his name being mentioned anywhere?
Speaker 6: I haven't seen it anywhere, But if bombed the Orioles, I absolutely would because I mean for Mullen, I think you're probably going to let him walk after this season, So I mean, how much of a price tag is that for him? I understand that that kind of feeds into all of this, but I just believe that your priority is a back into the rotation guy. You can win with great pitching and average hitting. You can't win with average pitching and great hitting. Bingo, yeah, bingo. And is you know, look as good as Brandon Walter has been. He's been fantastic for you. Colton Gordon the same deal, and then you throw in them the Colors factor here, I really feel like you can only go two out of those three the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: I mean you probably you're going to continue to run him out there, I think for now, But when do you make the decision? Starter Bullpen give you one or two? And from mccolors, I'm talking about I don't know. And maybe we're just because of one performance we're getting out in front of ourselves. But it's something you're gonna have to address because when the trade deadline comes, it becomes.
Speaker 6: Real well, and then it's you know, the Irraghetti factor. What is Christian hobby Er give you?
Speaker 1: Garcia? Yeah, I have Hobbyer's throwing ninety five. It doesn't feel like it's three months away. You're throwing ninety five. That's his that that's usually his top end stuff, right, ninety five ninety six years lives in the ninety two ninety three res right, so he's coming back pumping at ninety five right now. The question is like stretching him out, But I can't imagine it's going to take three months to do that, hopefully not. So you got that's part of it. If you get a hobby on Garcia back, and Dana Brown will say he said it before in the past, having those guys back is like having you just traded for two brand new starters. That's how you're.
Speaker 6: Feeling right well, especially when you haven't had year in Garcia for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: So Rogers, see you're right there. You get you involved in the conversation. You want to join Rogers seven one three two one two five seven ninety against someone three two one two five seven ninety Just getting go in here on the Shawn Salisbury Show on Monday.
Speaker 10: Ad Houston atv HD two Houston, an iHeart radio station.
Speaker 11: And the Rocket Pro Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams.
Speaker 3: From the Parsons that Matchine Next Studios Saulsby old Siby Houston.
Speaker 8: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sewn Salisbury to usc tropes, longtime friend Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: Dan matthewscuse. This is the Sewn Salsbury show.
Speaker 6: US men's national soccer team going the kicks against Costa Rica. They win and move on to the Gold Cup semi final kicks. You know the group, Yeah, it was god uh, Foster the people, sorry, Foster the people, pumped up kicks.
Speaker 1: Just making sure you're on the same page. Danny. They have other good Danny boy.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean that that goes without saying, but they they have they have a few other good songs too, but that's the one that put them on the map. Yeah, that was the one that that got people. Although you know, Roger gets you here in just a second. But this is another aside and maybe one day it is. It is a stakeout. Is the lead singer. I met him once at my previous spots and yeah, so you know, just somebody said, hey, you know that's the lead singer and I was like, oh, that's cool. So just you know, hey, big fan of your work. It was just a passing conversation and as I'm walking off. He says, oh, appreciate me and cheers, and I'm like, cheers, we don't have drinks in our hands, like I just it is one of the most disingenuous, like hey, Cee you later, like just give me a hey, thanks or take care or is he around or something like that.
Speaker 1: Us man, Yeah, they are, they are, okay. So I was saying, that's even part of it too. It's like that's a real British thing. That's not British, right. If he'd have said cheers, mate, I would have said that that's just like their way of saying.
Speaker 6: Oh, you're from Denver, Colorado, Birmingham, you know, Britain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cheers is usually the thumbs up for you know. You could picture Ian Baker Finch saying that, sure right, one of the.
Speaker 6: Guys, Yeah, yeah, any of them.
Speaker 1: You're talking about an American band. The cheers is like yeah, it's just like, what, well, he didn't foster the people properly, No, he didn't. You got if he foster the people, probably they'll all have pumped up kicks. I just I feel like that's it's just say take care as saying hey, how you doing when you don't really care how somebody is doing could be because no matter what they say, they're not really no matter what you say, they're not listening. You know some are, but you know, the persons not like, man, how are you You're doing all right?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 1: What's going on? Hey? How you doing right? But really, no matter how you answer it, it really it doesn't. They don't care. You know, run of those. So they tried to faster the people Dan and you were you got some disdain towards towards pumped up kicks faster the People's lead Ciga front man. I do.
Speaker 6: I do like their music, and I've gotten past that part. But it's just like, you know, like when I hear that, I'm just kind of like, oh, no, would you.
Speaker 1: Rather say, okay, pretend like pass me? He says, say hi to me, Hey, Sean, how you doing? Hey? Cheers prick? Wow? Would that be good?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I mean at least I know where you're coming from, so I mean, at least there's some context there.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love it though, but I get I do. I know what you say. It's like I've always said, I know it's not that big a deal, but somebody it's happened, happens too much for a younger generation. I know they but calling you, hey, what's up, champ or boss or pal? It's yeah, I say bud because just a habit, right, But when somebody says it usually it's like it feels like when they say it in certain situations is condescending, right, And it's not a big deal. But when you know, like I remember pulling up with an Arizona, I pull up to Valet and getting out to go get something to eat, and how long can be your boss? And finally I looked him. He called me like boss three times, like forty seconds. I said, my name is Sean. It's not boss. When i'm your boss, you can call me. I ain't your boss. But you know, it's it's like that young to old thing, right, or older thing than them. It's and it's not that big a deal, but it's like it's just like fingernails and it just chaps my asshole, kind of like you saying it's just just hey, cheers.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like one of the coaches we had in high school, Coach Fits is if you ever called him Fits or anything other than coach, he would always I'm not your drinking buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your coach to call me like and rightfully so he's he's damned rights like a doctor. We said that before, but and I get it because but I don't ever hear thanks boss. Now when I see it, when I watch NCIS and and and Tony says it to Mark Harmon, you know, then it's like, you know, thanks boss. That that's the respect of yeah you know you know that? Yeah, what do you call him? Boss? Though, It's like it's the respect that thanks both when they say we got to get this, got you boss, Well, that means that you're you're your your answering to the big dog.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I will go chief or something like that if I forgot the name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, I get that. Yeah Chief another one, dude, those are fight thanks chief, would you? Yeah? I know it's that when people do that, I don't I don't think they mean it like we sometimes we take it, but it just feels too a little too a little almost like they're trying to troll a little. Ye right, that's not that they're trying.
Speaker 6: To troll, but I mean I think it like almost kind of like makes you feel more.
Speaker 1: It's a bit condescending if they mean it.
Speaker 6: There is there is errors of that, like like I was gonna I was gonna say, I don't know if like it makes you feel more dignified, but like it's just like yes, there there is that it.
Speaker 1: Brings us closer together because we're good enough. I can call you boss and it's like condescending or like, don't think that just because i'm Valet Parking or then that that I can't call you boss in a condescending way. It didn't matter with the job with Valley Park or CEO. I don't care if you're twenty five and you're calling a seventy year old or a forty year old boss. It's like it just feels weird if you don't know them. It's it's just like a response in a text of just thanks, Yeah, that's that means that there's yeah, it's a little too cold, does that make sense? And this is a little too warm with the the other extreme like hey, thanks, chief, I throw back t y. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like our good buddy Brian Cushing once when we were getting them on the air, he he gave me the idea to start using this as uh, you know, I just texted him back, Hey, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: NP No probably. I was like, hey, you know what all like that? Shortening it all up? Man, No waste time, no wasted no wasted motion, no wasted time, no wasted energy, any of those things. It's not that big a deal with Sometimes it's like, are you condescending me? I wouldn't condescend you, no matter what your job everything is. But like everything, I'm a little older than your saying boss. Just to be a wise ass, is it dear vernacular?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Like we say hello? The tone yeah and the tenor no question? Yeah? Tone, tone and tenor both those things? The two teas?
Speaker 6: Yes, uh, you know, speaking of energy and a team that hopes they have good energy, that's the Astros. Roger wants to talk about the Astros. Could they be energized after the trade deadline?
Speaker 1: Good morning Roger, Good morning Jans.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 7: I just think this picture it was grossly overchewed. They need to be rewarded, and I'm not sure Cedric knows is a guy you need to be rewarded with. It looks like he got two ten hitter give a slapping. He can play a couple of positions, But you want a guy with the stick man. You want to make a trade don't make a trade for the for the sake of making a trade. You know, let's make one. You're gonna make a trade, guys, you know, get him rewarded. Man, these guys have been busting it, you know, and uh, you know, as for all for all mccollor's as good intentions too is by the way, I think you man gets down to it only because simply because you waste too many pops. He's just waste too many take pictures at this point. And I just think next year, when he gets very wrapped up and he gets a whole season to to do it, then then we'll we'll look at him then. I just I just think that he's better served than the bullpen this year. We you know, thank god, we have a surplus of vice that came out of freaking nowhere. But you know, you got these opportunities, I think. And yeah, guys, like I said that, mothers, you know you need to just you know, look bad. I don't know how how the sauce is gonna be made. I don't want to know, but I just want to know. I just I just know that these guys need a stick. And I'm not sure Yourdon's coming back to be the Orda on the heat. Nobody really knows somebody on and you can't really hang your hopes on that he's gonna come back. He's gonna be Yeah, just you just need to need to uh, you know, this ship the way you've been doing it, and and you know, don't don't you know, don't wait for making a good move. Man, let's see it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, Roger. I mean, I count on Jordon when he's ready to come back. I mean, you know, it's something that we can continue after the steakout too. But I mean Dana Brown with some interesting things on that. As a matter of fact, let's do that. Uh, the Steakout's coming up, and then after that bottom of this hour, let you hear a little bit from Dana Brown because an encouraging update on Jordon yesterday and maybe back sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: We'll let you hear all of that.
Speaker 6: But coming up next, a historic franchise the final time, Well we can talk about it here. It is a Sean Salisbury Show on a Monday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 8: Listen to emotionally tied to the team.
Speaker 3: The Sean Salisbury Show continues.
Speaker 9: Hi, let's go.
Speaker 1: All right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now?
Speaker 2: The Salisbury's takeout Salisbury Takeout on.
Speaker 3: The Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 6: On a Monday here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety, both of those organizations in the news because the Astros beat the Cubs to nothing take two out of three from them over at dik And Park on the weekend, and Jabari Smith Junior extended on a five year, one hundred and twenty two million dollar deal. According to reports, Top Gun Sean, we got the return of Maverick a couple of years ago. That was like kind of our first return back to movie theaters, I feel like, because COVID obviously movie theaters weren't open all that kind of stuff, and took a little bit of time to get back because things were being released earlier on streams. So people were just like, well, I'll skip out on doing that and I'll just do all the good stuff, you know, good things at my house. And that was the first time I feel like when we all said, okay, fine, you know what, I'll go back to the theaters again. Top Gun three is a go. According to director Joseph Kazinski. He was on or He talked to GQ magazine and he said, I think we found a way to do it, not only the scale of what we're proposing, but the idea of self, of the story we're telling, and synesthetic adding.
Speaker 1: To it with a tweet.
Speaker 6: Top Gun three will explore Maverick confronting an essential crisis.
Speaker 1: There's one last ride for Maverick. I think that does that what is going to be called Maverick One last ride? I think so? Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, and and part of me with that you would say, you know, oh, it's just gonna be Maverick.
Speaker 1: You know, he'll they'll go on it on a dangerous mission, just like he and and time are we talking about when they say that that we're going to be fighting zombies or something. I don't think they'll be fighting zombies.
Speaker 6: I mean I would think that probably with the current, you know, situation we have in the Middle East. I mean, I'm trying to remember, was it the Russians that they were going after and in Top Gun two where they had to, you know, do the really dangerous pull up up with tons.
Speaker 1: Of well, when somebody dropped the bomb to clear it out and another one comes by and drops the right. Yeah, you gotta and then you gotta climb because you run into the mat. Yeah, it was it in the hills somewhere, and yeah, I think you might be right. So I don't know who the opponent will be here, But that's good. That's first I've heard of it.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, I think you've got to go some sort of Mid East dictatorship or something.
Speaker 1: Let's go then you don't have to go that far. Just go to New York City and battle that bear, okay, or that they not yet yet, the the the there hopeful for one party. Yeah, go there, because you don't even have to go overseas to find it because he's going to turn it into and what do you have to go chase down? So good luck.
Speaker 6: I think in this case. I think in this case we we will have a different enemy. But at least at first when I saw this, I said, oh, no, they're gonna kill off Maverick.
Speaker 1: That's that's how they kill you.
Speaker 6: I mean, I would think that if you didn't already have the storyline of there's one Last Ride, then you know you probably could because then if nothing else, you could at least have the franchise go to Miles Teller and he's like the next step of Top Gun. He becomes Pete Mitchell himself, and then Bill Pullman's son, you know, Glenn Powell, whoever else you know, they're they're all part of it. But in this case right here with Cruz, you know, I'm almost wondering if it's final.
Speaker 1: Do you think give me the right hander?
Speaker 6: I think so, yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I think they will have like a passing of the torch, Like I don't think I think the current incarnation of Top Gun it will be. But Miles Teller is just getting going and he did a really good job. And Top Maverick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and dude, the franchise is printing money, So why end it? I wouldn't. I mean, if you can find ways to keep I mean, like fast Interfear, say, just keep finding ways to new vehicles and new fights and the rest of it. If you can find somebody who's got the same swagger that Cruz has is Maverick, and you can make it and you feel good about it, just the name alone, this the you know, this the the whole franchise, Prince Money. So I doubt it'll be the last one, but the last one with Cruise obviously. Well, but I mean, look at what Rocky has done where you know, Stallan is like, I can't get in the ring anymore. Guys, you can't do that to me, right, you know, I'm busy running a family in Tulsa, right, which I did.
Speaker 6: I did finish both of those seasons. A great show. It's underrated show. Yeah, I'm the King. I finished watching this this weekend. I love the one guy tries to rob them at the casino and his buddy Goodie goes, where are you gonna go?
Speaker 2: Mars?
Speaker 1: Exactly? What a great show?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 1: It really is really, really really good show. But yeah, well that's good. Note news, And when do we have released twenty eight or something.
Speaker 6: I have not seen a release date for Top Gun three, but at least that the idea is.
Speaker 1: In the works, strip down and get ing rolling and it will be done.
Speaker 6: And Maverick stars expected to be on board for this one, so that's of course, Miles Teller, Glenn Powell. They are expected to return for the third film, and Cruz could very well pass on the Top Gun legacy to the next generation.
Speaker 1: So there you go, that's what it is. He'll come back.
Speaker 6: This time it will be he and Jennifer Conley running off and and you know, because it did kind of lead you to believe that it was like, all right, that's it. You know, good job, Pete. If you finished the job, you got back to the aircraft carrier not named after camp Smith, but an aircraft carrier, and then you got back to Kell.
Speaker 1: You know, you know Jennifer Conley, Right, Yeah, it's time for those two to go live happily ever after and maybe have a baby. At this point, I would probably say that's out the window. But I know it's movies, Dan, I can do anything I want.
Speaker 6: That's true. Okay, that's true. But then you are sixty something years old. You really need Tom Cruise doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, uh is it? Is it de Niro or Pacino or having baby? Aren't they in there? Aren't they?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean it just depends on you to see if what's his name? Yeah, and Belichick goes out route he may does she want a baby? Yeah? There are twice. Right, he doesn't need that bill, you don't need Maybe he does, maybe a kinder gender bill. Okay, well he's already got three grown up, bring another one into the world. Damn if you're the three grown up ones, give the woman what she wants. Yeah, I'm not. I'm not calling them my brother. No you will, No, No, I won't, Yes, you will, I won't. If your mom and dad decide to have another baby, you'll call it.
Speaker 6: He'll be your little brother. That's out the windows. Okay, okay, yeah, trust me. We're good with two Me and my brother, right and he with his kids and and uh you know, uh my my soon to be brother in law and his two boys. Yeah, I feel you. But you know what, Baby Belichick needs to bring it. Maybe ma, he needs to make Mama happy. I don't know, Maybe he needs to No, not that way, No, see talking. See that's that's I was gonna say. I think you're good with that. You you're good. You're good with.
Speaker 1: What's a little disdain though, Danny.
Speaker 6: Well, it's because I just don't even want to think about the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want to think about their make it love? No, No, not anywhere close Cruise and Conley. No, Tommy, Tommy's got to be in his what mid sixties now sixty two, sixty two you can still bring it.
Speaker 6: And he's still doing all his own stunts. So that's why I love I forget was it sixty minutes or somebody. The guy that was up in the helicopter with him and he, you know, cruise gets out onto the the the I guess landing gear whatever you want to call it you're talking about. It was for the new mission impossible. And you know, he thought he's moving. He's got the microphone on and he's got his his jump pack on and he asked. The guy goes, you're coming. He goes, not on your life. He goes, all right, see you down there. He jumps off there you.
Speaker 1: Go see you. That's right. He does his own he uh knew.
Speaker 6: It was when James Corden was still likable, which we found out pretty quickly that he wasn't. Uh, but when he happened, well you found out what an absolute just you know, toothy Jerky was. So once once you found that out, you were like, all right, you.
Speaker 1: Know that because you had him. He was just a fun loving guy, right. See, when you find out nothing like that, right.
Speaker 6: It's people like that that that you think he's a wolf in clothing saying yeah, because I mean I think it's it's one of those that they show, they show certain people that side, and it's it's more or less just to fool them, right. I mean, it worked out well for him, and then soon enough it didn't because then the networks were like, well, you know that that ruse is kind of gone. We can't really put him back out there. Oh he's a fun loving gen Gordon.
Speaker 1: No, he's not.
Speaker 6: He treats servers like garbage, and he treats people like garbage.
Speaker 1: So he kind of went away, didn't he. Yeah, look, I'm finny, not hard to treat people kindly, not hard.
Speaker 6: See, And that's what I always tell people is you know they see people like that, Oh that's the way I gotta be. I go, you're looking at it the wrong way. That's a short win right there. To be that way is to fool people, to do all of that, because soon enough the true nature comes out and people know exactly who you are, and then you don't get opportunities anymore because they're like, yeah, you fooled me long enough, you.
Speaker 1: A lot more effort to be an idiot. Too much work, man, consistency, even if you want it, it's just too much work.
Speaker 6: Well, it's just exactly that. I mean, why why do you want to It's not this cat no, no, me neither. But anyway, Top Gun three it will ride great news.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm sure it'll be good because in truth, if you really want, there's a handful actors. If you say you want the movie to make money, m hm, Cruise is one of them. He just is right, doesn't matter if it's a mission possible franchise, doesn't matter if it's a Top Gun franchise. Whatever did the Jack reach a franchise? You know? With with with that whatever Cruise gets involved in. In truth, he's a money maker. He just is.
Speaker 6: TV show Jack Reacher is more in line with the book character than.
Speaker 1: The physical the physical appearance. Yet he still can sell those movies still, you know what I'm saying, The Cruise can. So yeah, make no mistake, whether you think it's the best one or not, it will print money because it's that fine franchise and Cruise is involved. When he's a he's a grinder and he doesn't. Frank does a hell of a job. Man.
Speaker 6: There you go, And then soon enough Liam Neeson in the same character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and guess what in the movie houses are like? Yeah, as long as that money keeps printing. Brother, we're in. It's gonna find ways.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be the former Belfast detective right, Liam Neeson, his wife passed a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Give me oh yeah, trying to make up with them.
Speaker 6: He's in the local pub when somebody tries to come in and muscle the pub owner.
Speaker 1: Down and out, and that springs him into Oh he's back. That's it. Are you working again, John? Yeah? I would say that. Yeah, that's exactly right. Gotta love them, gotta love them.
Speaker 6: But uh, anyway, all right, let's get back into the Astros because an encouraging update from Dana Brown twofold. We'll let you hear that next as you joined Robert Ford yesterday as part of Astro launch. As we continue here on the Seawn Salisbury Show Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, Trajanwealthtrasianwealth dot Com, a local trusted financial fiduciary investing general retirement planning guys and investing retirement plan But also, it's not just about retirement. Wouldn't it be easier if you were prepared earlier to prepare yourself for when you do retire, you have enough money to retire, stay retired and you understand your risk tolerance so you can kind of do some other things that you've wanted to do. Having somebody who's an expert in their field is a great help. Trasian Wealth has offices conveniently located in Sugarland, the Woodlands and Champion. Again. I said three four six three seven one thirty three thirty is the free review three four six three seven one thirty three thirty for your free review. Let me give you the basics again so you understand who Trasan Wealth is. That's a big part of these things and haven't been there and seen them in person in Scottsdale. They feel boutique, but they deliver big, great bandwidth for them a fiduciary firm and as fiduciaries, as you know, they put the clients needs first. When you make more money, they make more money. Trasian Wealth is family owned and veteran led and combine. Trasian Wealth advisors have decades of experience in financial services profession. In the profession which is important for you, so you don't have to worry about it. When you tell them what you want and let them get to work with you. They focus on helping people in or nearing retirement better understand and prepare for the challenges associated with the ever changing financial landscape, and it's changing by the day. The good fools, the good fools, the good folks. Yeah, I'm the fool, but the good peeps at Trajan Wealth off the charts, and they have great intentions and also have the hearts. But you need to make sure that you're getting it done the way it's supposed to get done. They can help you develop a plan that gives you peace of mind. And aren't we all looking for peace of mind? The great folks at Trajanwealth dot com. It's Traswealth dot com. Convenient face to face opportunities or virtual meetings and a free review its Trajanwealth dot Com. Trajanwealth dot Com advisory services off through Trasian Wealth LLC and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Paid advertisement.
Speaker 6: The seven o'clock hour, seven to ninety listener line is presented by one eight hundred car cash and Sean I teased it as a couple of bits of audio that make you optimistic.
Speaker 1: We'll start first, at least with.
Speaker 6: The one that we can get an immediate payoff from, and that is Jordan Alvarez. We see yesterday from Brian McTaggart, Chandlerome, Matt Kawahara, whoever was out there during early batting practice sharing footage.
Speaker 1: Jordahm was in the cage.
Speaker 6: He was taking actual batting practice off one of the coaches or one of the staff members throwing batting practice, and he's in there taking swings. And we find out that he and Chaz both boarded a plane yesterday and are currently in West Palm Beach and are gonna face live pitching this week. Dana Brown talking about if that means we are even one step closer to Jordan coming back soon.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So Jordin, you know, outstanding today on the field, you know, no discomfort or pain afterwards, feeling really good. Gonna hop on a flight later today, go down to West Palm and you know, look, he's gonna hit live.
Speaker 1: He's gonna hit live off live pitcher.
Speaker 13: You know, he'll probably face you know, Javier while he's down there, maybe Garcia and some of our other guys that are down there throwing lives. He's gonna get a chance to face some major league pictures and then we'll evaluate him after that, you know, as too is it gonna be, sugarman? Do we feel like we can expedite this thing and bring up to la you know, which is not the most likely scenario. But we're not, you know, putting that aside. We're just going to take a look. But we need to get him down there and have him start to hit some.
Speaker 1: Lives, all right, So get him down there, start hitting.
Speaker 6: Gotta believe probably each day, four five at bats, whatever it is, just to try to get him ramped up and try to get him back. But the other question I have about all this, Sean, is I understand he'd been doing baseball activities, running, throwing, fielding out there in left field, all of those different things. He hasn't played now in over two months. I mean, I think, what's it this? This Wednesday will be two months since he's been on the field. That's a lot of time away. How much working out has he even been able to do, being able to get into the weight room and do those things and everything else that goes.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't imagine he does in a whole lot of freeways hanging off with the wrist, that area of the hand to me that you know, whether it's movement where you don't have you know, listen, we're in a time now. With the expertise and all the training you have, you can get stronger by doing a lot of work without actually gripping a weight or you know, you put the things on your wrist, whatever it is. I would imagine plenty. But because you have a sore hand or a fracture or you know your your your that's hurting and you're out a couple of months, your legs are fine, I would imagine treadmill and running and getting himself. I can't put it this way. There should be zero excuse. And he's a d H. So it's not like if we're running marathons and he's a four by four hundred meter you know, Reley guy, or we're asking him to go out and you know, win marathons and stuff like that. And to Kathleen, we're asking to be in shape enough to swing the bat and that his lower halves in shape, and that is that he's healthy and healed with his hand. So as far as staying in the cardio conditioning that takes uh, I mean it's not exactly. You know, like I said, you're not playing wherever eight seconds you're playing another down or playing fast in a football game. In college football, he'll have time to rest to do his thing. But strength wise, there's a lot of ways you can get stronger without having to actually grip a weight. And I think that those guys are a lot smarter than me at it. But just from my vantage point, being out of shape should not be a problem. He should actually being good because in truth, when the season's going on, you ain't doing a lot of running. Dude, you're swinging a bat, going to the next city, swinging a bat, going the next city, playing some left field, and then like you're doing a whole lot of work. That's your maintaining. He should actually be in better shape now. He went through spring, came in now he's had too much to cardio do it all, where everything he's done has been about getting healthy and staying in condition. So he should actually be in because listen, if you're playing it honestly, other than Catcher, if you're the first baseman, how much cardi you work out, you're probably getting your lifts in between to stay to maintain you're not your body can't. I mean just on hundred six two games, you're not out there, you know, in your days off going out there and running intervals, you're getting some rest. So I would imagine he's in better condition because of the fact he's had time off and realizes he's you can only hit for so long a day, so what else am I gonna do the rest of the day. I got to keep my body in shape. It can work the exercise the lower half, the core that core ain't getting in the way of in that hand's not getting a way of any core work. So that, to me, that's no excuse now is timing of hitting, of course, But when it comes to the cardio or the quick twitch or him being in shape, he actually has a too much extended training because spring training. I know he played some, but you get my point is that he's had two extra months now to focus on his body and get it right without having to travel and do it all. This should be not this is not a problem. If we were talking boxing, I'd have a different answer for you. Even then, though, why you able to punch? Your body should still be in condition. And you also know mentally that I can't get too comfortable and say, oh, I'm a baseball player, I'm a dh I don't have to stay. Of course he does, because his lower half is powerful and he's always in the dude looks like he could run forever. He's always been in good shape, so I would imagine he's taking it pretty serious. It's just a simple timing and grip of the bat and how much that hurts. As far as his lower half in core. He should not be one day out of shape because baseball is not exactly during the season. It's the grind and the mental grind. It's not exactly training your ass off to get ready for a triathlon.
Speaker 6: It's just the time off and the timing as well well. And it's that, but it's also how close you are to the All Star break that I mean, it's just what's another week at this point, Like, what's what's another week to get him those at bats, even if it's as Danny even mentioned in Sugarland or whatever it is, which frankly, I'd want to just keep him there in West Palm Beach, have him go through a little bit more work there during the All Star break. So as soon as that Friday hits, okay, weull go. There's no way he You're seeing him before the All Star Game. I have to tell you tomorrow's July first. So let's let's do the math.
Speaker 1: If he's down in West Palm, he ain't gonna be down in West Palm for a day, right, wouldn't you think they're gonna want to fly bats? Come back the next day? Like it's a three game series and like, and let's see how you recover. You heard Dan say, well, see how your response to it. He has any pain, Let's say I response to it, now live pitching and doing it. So let's say you do that for a week. Let's I don't even know what the protocol is for this, but let's say it's a week, and now you come back. The only way he's here. Also, if he walks out of that week and they say let's go, and they don't send him to Sugarland, they want to expedite the process, and they put him on a major league roster. But even then, if it's a week, maybe it's two weeks or ten days, he comes If he has to go to Sugarland, there's no way. But if he has to, if he comes back and does it, so that would take us the fourth to the eleventh. You said the Ulstar breaks in seventeenth or sixteenth, somewhere in that range.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's in the tens, right, the fourteenth, Okay, so it'll be the two teenth.
Speaker 1: Get it's two weeks from tomorrow? Am I correct when I say that? Two weeks from tomorrow? Why would you? You're fifty and thirty four. Now he goes and let's say, gets some at bats, then the All Star Game hits, he's back off red. Now that's not a bad thing, resting it for a few days, but why not just give him the extra rest, especially if you've won a couple series. You should dominate the Colorado Rockies and then you have who'd you say, Dan Dodger. No, that's exactly right. You're back out to LA. Now that's high. You'd love to have him in a high leverage and a high pressure situation like that, planning against that which may be a World Series matchup. But in truth, can you survive without him in those in that series? And the answer is yes. So if they're gonna go by, don't speed it up. Now, if he's one hundred percent I've always said this, If he's one hundred percent healthy, and you see his bat speed and his quickness, but play him if it's one game. Play him, what's the way? I'm all for it. But if you're still saying, let's get if you're questioning if we should give him another week, give him another week. If you all of a sudden after this week or five days or ten however long he's down in West Palm and you walk out of there saying he'll be hitting clean up two days from now or hitting third two days from now, Bam, play him.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't care if you care. If it's against Colorado, hell, a little confident is driving the buck? Did you say Colorado? Yeah, you're playing Colorado? Didn't Dodgers?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: Seeing back home?
Speaker 9: Fright?
Speaker 1: So the techo West Coast, a couple trips and you said Cleveland, Texas?
Speaker 6: Right, So there you go, and you go and to take care of it and that if he's healthy. But if you're questioning might, it's easy for me. What do you guys think?
Speaker 1: Should we? If you're asking me if we should, then you got it. Then I'm telling you wait till the All Star game's over, the break is over. If you're saying, no, brainer, we need him in the lineup. He's healthy, why wait? So if you're asking if the question exists. Man, you think he needs another week? Give him another week.
Speaker 6: Dana Brown also talking about Jeremy Panio. We'll share that with you either before or after we hear from Steve Sparks. But Rick c right there. We'll get you involved. You want to join him? Someone three two one two five seven ninety. Again it's someone three two one two five at seven ninety. Don't forget. Steve Sparks joined us in about fifteen minutes right here for his Monday visit on the Shown Salisbury Show.
Speaker 3: The Shawn Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 1: So our firefighters respond to them and then we have snipers taking them out. It's terrible they happened. Cordlaina, Idaho last night. Yeah, I saw that starting fires, getting them to respond to them, and actually attacking them and setting them up. That's why people who are first responder and their special people and it's in in a sniper mode to set them up and then take them out. Who does that? What the world are we doing? What the world are we doing?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 1: And in Toronto at the at their parade, they're literally walking the parade. But asked naked, I just I mean, I understand you're sending a message that ain't the mess, is it? I don't. I mean if you walk down to the Mill Street naked, what would happen? Would get arrested? And would you get arrested? And right fleet, well, well who shouldn't. I just the world we live in now you wake up to and say, you know what, anything I'm gonna do? I think I am going to start a fire and assassinate, do everything I can to take them out with a sniper rifle. The guys who are going to respond to a fire in court Aint, Idaho. Yeah, I just I don't mean to get off there. It's just been every day. It's something what we tolerate and what we allow. I hope, And this is gonna sound harsh, and I really don't care. As the search continues for these guys. Unless it's happened since we've I would imagine we'd see breaking news on our TV. They they don't deserve to go back to jail, to go to jail, they'll take their ass out, eliminate the problem. Then, if you've got a question, should we or should we? Because that sean that's archaic. Oh well, I'm an I for an eye guy. When it comes to that, you just ruined two families, regardless, just the thought process that now every single now. Now, if you're a firefighter, you've got to go to work wondering if they've set you up to take you out and set the fire on purpose to put you in harm's way. It's harm's way, not to fight the fire. Yeah enough, I'm just telling you. Put our snipers at the best in their ability. Those guys don't deserve to go back and have a trial. Take them out. And the last thing I want to hear, yeah, they both of them had or if it's two or three or five, I don't know how many. It is mental illness, no kidding, you know what mental illness or not. I'm just telling you right now, if you lose the right to make any decisions after you do that are firefighters? Yeah no, you know what, Bud. I'm just sorry to tell you. It sounds archaic or not. I don't care who's who doesn't like it. I'm all for it. Eliminate the problem. And there's one way to do it. Keep them out of our keep them even out of our off our streets, and out of the jail as well. Put there, put them in a body bag, and let's get and make sure you take care of the problem so somebody else doesn't get the idea that look what I can do and get away with it. Eliminate it. Period. Let's lighten the mood.
Speaker 6: And a way we can do that is our good buddy Steve Sparks, joins us every Monday here with the Shawn Salisbury Show. We'll do that right here. It is the Shawn Salisbury Show. Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Give this Radio seven forty four.
Speaker 14: Cast a chance over shower or storm this afternoon high ninety two, partly cloudy tonight low seventy six.
Speaker 15: This report is sponsored by Mattris Firms. Shop Mattress Firms July fourth Sale and reclaim your restless nights. Choose from a curated premium selection of mattresses to find just the upgrade you're looking for.
Speaker 1: Get matched sleep at night.
Speaker 14: Fourth of July. Savings are here at the home depots. So it's time to get your grilling on. Pick up the Trigger Pro Series twenty two pellet, grill and smoker now on special buy for three hundred and eighty nine dollars US five forty nine. Smoke a rock of ribs or bacon apple pie. This grill is versatile enough to do at all this summer. No matter how you like your steaks, your barbecues are guaranteed to be well done. Celebrate Fourth of July with Boss three delivery on Flec prills right now at the HUM depot that's available.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't need a reason to go to j bar M Barbecue other than you like great food and great customer service. How many of you have gone over there on the weekend, sat out there, brought your dog out and had some little breakfast tacos, or grab some of those drink or food specials that set out in the back. Man yesterday was a phenomenal day. Or when the sun starts to set and say I'm go go to have me some barbecue and some of the great sides. Ever, Well, you got it. You got the Hall of Fame menu. You can order with Joe Spot Orders, you can order with you know, with Kelvin Sampson or Clyde Drexler. They got all that Hall of Fame menu, and the menu is Hall of Fame ish, great food. Whether I don't care if it's cheddarsauce, it's a jalapeno I don't care if it's the sides and the potatoes, al mac and cheese. They got everything you want, So you do not have to have an event nearby to I want to go to Jbarm Barbecue. There is no reservations needed. It's a twenty two oh one Leland. People are coming from far and wide to go there. It is the best barbecue and customer service in this state. So if you're traveling somewhere else for barbecue, stop going into Jbarn Barbecue, whether it's the weekend or during the week and realize, man, it's not only efficient, the food's off the charts. And if you're coming from two miles or two hours away, I would suggest you make Jbarn Barbecue the reason it's jbarn Barbecue dot com. Jbarn Barbecue dot com. With the food and the customer service, you're not gonna find it any better anywhere. Jbar m Barbecue dot Com.
Speaker 10: JDM E Houston, ACDHD two Houston, myheart radio station.
Speaker 11: The Astrostros, the Rockets, Rockets Fast Befall your home for your home teams. This is Sports Talk seven ninety from the Parsons that Manchine Next Studios.
Speaker 16: Saulisbury Sbury.
Speaker 9: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Sean Salisbury, Salisbury, so USC Trophes, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: Dan Matthew, excuse, this is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 1: Great to have him on, Steve, welcome in. What have you learned that you didn't know about cam Smith? Eighty games into the season.
Speaker 4: I have could say that he could make adjustments more quickly than I thought he might be able to. That We saw it because it reminded us of jord On when we first saw jord On. The pitch recognition and his strikes, own discipline, all those things are always going to lead.
Speaker 9: To pretty quick adjustments. But I didn't think he'd.
Speaker 4: Be able to, you know, shoot fastballs the other way and hit the brake of balls that are hanging over the ter thirdy plate and pull those in the seats as well.
Speaker 9: So we're starting to see it get better and better as he recognizes how other teams are trying to pitch it. But he makes very quick adjustments, and I didn't expect.
Speaker 1: That, Steve. It probably unfair question to you, but you've covered it, played it for so long, so I'm looking at him and comparisons are a pain and he asked, but I'm gonna make you give me or at least try to get one from you anyway early in his career, not on the Astros, outside with the guys you've seen basically, what's the ceiling and is there a guy you think he reminds you of?
Speaker 8: Well, I haven't thought about that yet, so I might not be able to. I could probably, you know, if I sat down for a little bit.
Speaker 9: A right hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll touch you up with it next week on that one.
Speaker 8: But Data was.
Speaker 4: Talking about that as he shouted him for three games in college last year and knew that he wasn't going to slide to the Astros.
Speaker 9: It's just how funny that is that you do it. That's still having a.
Speaker 4: Chance to get him in a train a little later on, but he saw him as an amateur and watching him at third base, realizing, this guy's going to get a little bigger projection wise, and.
Speaker 9: This is what good scouts do. I project him as a right fielder, and he was exactly right. Man, He's a natural and right field and I don't think he's going to move from there.
Speaker 1: Oh we talking Stevens. Forget the comparison to another player, but you can probably you know what the floor and the ceiling are. You can at least get an idea. Now, things change and injuries and hopefully that won't happen. But just looking at his skill set and ability to do the things you talked about the quick adjustments, he feels to me like he's mentally and emotionally tough for a young kid as well. Do we have a ceiling? Are we talking about good player star or we're talking like superstar qualities that we see from the best of the best in this league.
Speaker 9: I really don't want to put a ceiling on it. I think you're seeing the floor though. Sean in the floor is.
Speaker 1: Pretty good right right absolutely, you know he's on the like right.
Speaker 4: Now, he's already one of the best o there's when you look at the metrics you know in baseball, and he's going to continue to get better in that regard and as a hitter, he's going to get better better as he gets stronger, recognizing the pitches that he can really you know, maybe take a shot at. I think he's got really good home run potential. Last year, you know, even when he signed with Chicago when he was in the minor leagues. I think it was six games in a row at one point where he had a home run.
Speaker 9: So you could see that.
Speaker 4: He could probably, you know, start to carry a team every once in a while, like we've seen great players do, and I think he's in that mold.
Speaker 1: Do you believe this team needs another pitcher before the All Star break is over or the trading deadline, should I say, is done?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know where.
Speaker 4: That would come from, right So, yeah, they need they need more pitching, but that might come from Florida because there's four guys pitching there right now that the Astros envision, you know, being a part of what's going on with Eric Getty.
Speaker 17: Luis Garcia, Christian Javier or somebody o JP France.
Speaker 4: So there's four guys right there that you should have confidence in. But you know, getting them healthy and to the point where they can get these guys to where they want to go that may be another matter.
Speaker 9: So do they need more pitshing?
Speaker 18: Let me tell you something that I heard here in the last week or so. Major League Baseball have used more and more pitchers every year, right and we've noticed that, but we don't know to what degree.
Speaker 8: And now we're to the point, the.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty five halfway point, basically right now, where Major League Baseball has used as many pitchers this year already that they employed the entire twenty fourteen season. That's how bad it's.
Speaker 1: Gotten half the season in. You've used more than a full season in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, exactly, So do the askers need more pitching?
Speaker 1: Everybody does, say all of them do, right, Steve. So with that, Steve, you mentioned that in the building, meaning you know, inside the organize, with those studs down there, if they're healthy and with the hobby or pumping it at ninety five, you're like, well, how long? They may not be far away? So let me talk about help outside. If I Dan had asked me earlier about you know, we were talking about a bat or a pitching and mentioned some names. Forget the names. But if I put your feet to the to the fire, and I said, Steve, you only get one judging from the ross. Now, let's say even Jordan's in the lineup healthy and you got one or two a starting pitcher or a pitcher that you need that's versatile, or a left handed bat, what are you doing? You can only have one.
Speaker 9: The left handed bat.
Speaker 19: You know what I'm watching, and I see I see right handed pictures with the cutters, with Staying started to get in the groove with his cutter yesterday and he had the Ashers battle.
Speaker 8: I just think that they need more balance in their lineup.
Speaker 19: And the only reason I say that too is you know, you can never have enough, but they do have.
Speaker 4: They have some surplus as far as pissing goes, and they develop pictures.
Speaker 9: Better than they do back.
Speaker 8: That's just a fact.
Speaker 4: So I think right now the Asters need more balance in their lineup, and I think the left data bats would be the target.
Speaker 1: Steve, I'm gonna make you John Gruden, you know when he does that film study with players for a second, and I know your affinity for the guy I'm about to mention because you've talked about it. But I also know that there's some things that need fixed. And you've seen so much baseball. Walk me through it. You're sitting in a room and I'm giving you an hour on tape and on video however we're doing it, and to talk and give insight to Lance mccullors. You can judging, you know, Saturday, maybe the aberration, But tell me what you'd talk to him about weather, mechanics, his games, any of those things. You got an hour with him and we're all watching it on TV. What are you guys talking about about his game?
Speaker 8: I would just probably.
Speaker 4: Try to get him to throw more fastballs. I think that would make all of his offspeed stuff more effective.
Speaker 8: And we've talked about this even before the long layoff. He's really good at.
Speaker 4: Making adjustments, and even when he had a plunker earlier this season, I think he rattle off four games where he had a crazy amount of strikeouts and was very effective.
Speaker 9: So he knows how to make adjustments.
Speaker 4: But just for me and assessing what I see from time to time, I think he gets away from his fastball when he gets.
Speaker 9: In trouble, and I think it's a good pitch.
Speaker 4: It's even if the velocity is at where it was five years ago, it's still always going to be.
Speaker 8: Effective to pitch inside to open things up for everything else.
Speaker 4: And I think it's even more imperative the slower you throw to pitch inside to open things up, because you won't get away with very many mistakes if guys are diving across the place.
Speaker 1: So that would be my big take and do you think that's going to happen.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying I'm right, and you're asking me what I would say.
Speaker 9: So if they feel that's the that's the case, I'm not sure.
Speaker 17: I think I think there's a lot of validity to that though Baseball to know that if guys are sitting stopt then anything you know, marginally over the white part of play is much easier to hit it right that basketball right at some point.
Speaker 9: So I think that would help.
Speaker 1: You, all right, Steve, judging from the your trip through the American League right now, and not just specific, just kind of overall broad spectrum. Look, every team has weaknesses or stuff that they need work on. Obvious, guys both focused on the good teams here, But of the good teams that are that we think are contenders to find themselves playing in a World Series. Of those teams are where the ASTROS rankings the weakness part? Or do they have a more glaring weakness than somebody else or are they more sound all the way around? I guess where do they fit in in the pecking order of the overall team. But also if you're pointing to one major weakness, is there's a little less weak or somebody else's that are contenders.
Speaker 8: I think they're very very.
Speaker 9: Much less week.
Speaker 4: They're nineteen and seven this month, Sean's you know, there's not a.
Speaker 9: Lot of witnesses.
Speaker 4: When you watch what they're doing in the teams that they're playing, you know they've won series.
Speaker 8: It gets the Cubs now, the Phillies, met the Padres.
Speaker 4: The Blue Jays and a Mariners, all good teams, and they've done it in pretty candy fashion. And they've done it with mostly pitching, some timely getting and they're good at comebacks and you like that trade.
Speaker 9: But it's been mostly pitching, and so I don't I think they have the least amount of playering and weaknesses of anybody. Do they need a little bit of help.
Speaker 4: Everybody could use a little bit of health and to get better. They could, And I'll go back to the left hand of bat.
Speaker 9: I think that that would be very helpful.
Speaker 4: I just know it's a pitch you're you know, and I've seen it too. The guys, the sliders except basketballs are going to give this heavy right handed scene some fits. But I like everything about him. You know what, Here's here's another one, Sean. You know, we're always talking.
Speaker 20: About how are they doing this? You know, so it's easy the points of the pitching. But here's another one too. And I was talking to one of the players. It's been on a few teams, and we were we were talking about like, how how is this happening again?
Speaker 8: And he told me something.
Speaker 4: He said, the biggest difference that I see is when a guy comes into the clubhouse, there's one player on this Astros scene who will go sit.
Speaker 8: In that locker and get to know him and talk to him and make.
Speaker 4: Him feel inclusive right away. He does it every time. And he said, it's the it's the face of the franchise. It's out too. But and he does it, and he makes a point of it. And he said, that's what's different about theture in this clubhouse. He makes you feel included and important right away. He said, they hit the ground run. So whether it's a pitcher or position player or whatever, these guys online they hold each other accountable as far as their preparation goes. But al cheu be gets to know him on a personal basis and that ups their their performance.
Speaker 1: I think, unbelieving, Why isn't that shocking at all? Because of the guy right me.
Speaker 9: Another thing.
Speaker 4: He told me another thing too. He said, you know I noticed that right away, and you see it in spring training. I mean, he spends time with guys that aren't even going to be on the scene. There's no wayther a ball or double a. He knows that they're not going to be on the sea. But he said, the pain is starting to do that now too, so he's investing in his teammates. So, man, that's a that's a great example set.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 1: Let me had you on this one. You get back to your thing this morning. Is I've said, how far off am I? Or is it spot on or close? Dan and I were talking. I said, give me really good pitching with average hitting, I can still win a championship. Give me average pitching with great hitting, I'm gonna fall short. That holds true here too. I believe agree or disagree.
Speaker 9: Mostly in the posting, you know, even for the long and.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about postseason for the most part, Steve, exactly, But you still got to get there for sure.
Speaker 9: I always go back. I always go back to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 20: And what separated the asterisk from everybody else was clearly that they were more fresh.
Speaker 8: And they had a cushion.
Speaker 9: The last month and a half of the season.
Speaker 4: They were able to rest guys, get them off their feet, and go to a six man rotation for over half of the season. Things of that nature. And it was a pair that the other teams were sucking win at the end and the Asters were steamrolling. And if the Asterisk can keep a cushion, or maybe keep the gas the gas down for a little bit longer and to increase the cushion, not get too confident, but start to rest guys, get them up their skip a guy, a starter or two, and go into the playoffs fresh like they did in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 9: I think it makes them a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, battle test that they are and fresh obviously, and it's it holds Steve that holds treats the valet we stand in every sport. It's why the forty nine ers when Bill Walsh was there, and the Cowboys, like in December, they backed off practice. They weren't beating each other up. They just beat each other beat other teams on Sunday, So while everybody else was gasping, they were fresh legged and it paid off to Super Bowl championships, and there's that that that's got to be a big reason why this team when they do it, if they can stay fresh and with the way the bullpen is, it'll be a blasht to watch something. Yeah well yeah, well it sure does from my vantage point, not from theirs, but they sure making it look easy at times this year. It's gonna be a fun watch in the second half. Great stuff. Enjoy the road trip, brother, and we'll see you next Monday. We appreciate your time and have a great Fourth of July holiday.
Speaker 9: Cheers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, that one's for you. Cheers. I love it, Thanks mate, We'll talk to you later. Man. That's a great Steve Sparks will come back and visit. He was paying attention. I like it, mate, Uh And hey, cheers, Dan, So there you go. So now text him and tell him how don't do that? Tell him? But I love it is he he's got perfect timing. If you ever know that about him is delivering. He knows how to read the room. He does, and he read it. Got you got your ass. That's like a d's nutstroke.
Speaker 9: He just got.
Speaker 1: We'll come back into my heels. Me and Dan and you guys, cheers. We roll along in the eight o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: More Sean Salisburg, get in strap in and write.
Speaker 1: In Oh you will yes. But the late singer of Foster the People, Yes, deliver the tire. He's yeah, Steve's no. I wonder if Steve likes Foster the People.
Speaker 6: He thinks so not pumped up kicks, but there's a few other people. Yeah, yeah, I think he could be. He's a he's a hip guy. So uh, Sparky and the crew out there in Denver off today and then get back at it tomorrow. But stros two nothing winners yesterday over the Cubs. They take two out of three in that series, five and one against the Cubs in the Phillies. That's living right, And it just goes to show you how well they've played at dyk In Park this year and continue to play at dik In Park.
Speaker 1: They're going to play good teams in the postseason. You might as well eliminate them now.
Speaker 6: And you used to beating them and in the style they're doing it too. It's something that can translate. Jabari Smith Junior five year, one hundred and twenty two million dollars contract extension with the Rockets and Aldrich pott Gater the winner at the Rocket Classic five, first time winner at twenty How about that five whole playoff out of him able to hold off Grazerman, Eric Grazerman and Max Max Graseman.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that's okay. And Chris Kirk and Chris Kirk. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: So exciting finish yesterday in Detroit. Seven one three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in. Ricky been patient. Good morning, Rick, Good morning, Yo.
Speaker 1: How you doing very much show?
Speaker 4: Just love your guys' show.
Speaker 9: I'll be brief.
Speaker 21: Steve Sparks kind of touched on it, and what I was going to ask you all was, how do you see this kind of working out? You know, I'm this is obviously a great problem to have, but you have all those pictures in West Palm, You've got Walker and all these guys just pitching lights out. How do you see it kind of coming together to where you keep what's going on and working in tech? But yet how these other pictures kind of work their way in?
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call. Rick, very kind compliment too.
Speaker 6: That was go ahead, No, I mean it's you know the point that I brought up was about just not necessarily believing in all three of the guys that you could potentially have to count on the rest of the way because Spencer Raghetti at this point, we're flipping the calendar to July tomorrow, and I don't think he's gonna be back this month. I mean, at least from what we're seeing and hearing right now from his work there in West Palm Beach, I don't think you can count on him until early August at the earliest. And I mean the same deal for Christian Hobby here and then when you can, what are you going to count on out of them? The wild cards Lance McCullers, Junior.
Speaker 1: Dan I and thinking about what our callers said and how do you weave him in? That's their expertise. The ass was a know and win, And especially with pitching, it just kind of goes with talking about the culture that when they come back and you still have these guys. And I asked the question last week of how does it how does it fit in right? How do you how do you know when to move a guy to the bullpen and keep the culture and keep people happy and say and you got to manage listen athletes all you don't want to finish in second place, right, you want to win? They all do, and oh, it's a lot of money, and I can go if you finished a second, it's good and all these points, but you wanted to win. Same thing here. You want to start if you're a starter, relegated back to the bullpen. But they just have a way of and as we continue to talk about, you're gonna need them all at some point, you're probably gonna need them. So the way you weave it in is do what you do and they're paid. Here's one thing that seeing I also think that separates them from other franchises that I've watched, at least the way it feels kind of goes along with Steve Sparks is saying how two Vey goes in and gets to know people. But a culture thing. I almost feel like there's no explanation you needed. We're here to win. They understand the big picture, and you're still getting paid. Your salary doesn't change based on the fact that, oh I was a starter, I'm going to the bullpen. Take one hundred thousand dollars off my salary. No, it's just as important and as we well see the bullpen over the course of it all, with as much work as they're gonna get, becomes every bit, if not more important, because you're gonna log a lot of innings with all the guys combined. Not the number of straight innings you get from a six inning starter or five inning, but three guys pitching five innings. You're gonna get work, and you're gonna need it. I think what happens is you just have to buy into the plan. Sure, if you get relegated to the bullpen and you're pitching well and Hovey Air comes back and shows you that he's pumping it at ninety five and he's Christian Javier, he's gonna start. So I mean, you've got two choices. You can either be along for the ride and do your thing and continue to dominate someone that rears its head again for you, or you going to the tank. And this team seems to have found a way or franchise not to let that bother him. So I'll tell you this, it's a great problem to have. Hey, we've got nine starters. What do you want to do? The Dodgers had like twelve of them starting the season, and they're begging for starting pitching right now because of the injuries they've had, So it's gonna happen. It's a great point, great question, but the surplus very few teams get to stand at the midway point or when you hit August, say we got a surplus a pitching very few regularly. The ones that do are usually playing when it's down to you're a series or so away from a world series. Surplus a pitching of good pitching matters, and they've got a lot of it. Good problem to have, which means they don't have to rush, but you can only handle so many injuries. And judging by the injuries and depending on the mccullor's performance of this, it appears that Javier is going to need to rear his head in twenty twenty five. And I'll be honest, I never counted on it this year, not that it mattered what I thought, but I didn't count on this. And if you get him, let's say August first, let's just say that for fun, dude, and hen he's Christian Xavier. You have just completely lengthded and improved a staff period. But it's the buy in buy and I use a lot why because it only takes about three guys not to buy and to disrupt the whole cart. Dude, I'm just telling you this franchise has rarely had to deal with that over the last decade.
Speaker 6: Well, and Sparky's point about the left handed bat is valid about balancing out the order, sure, but I just feel like the priority is more on the pitching side because I have to have that if this thing is going to go where I wanted to go. I feel like that the lineup, it's been more about guys who either are not here but you will get back, and the guys who are here that you expect more from a grade.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are a spot on and hopefully you can do it, but think about this, Dan, look at the production real quick that you're getting from cam Smith, even though you're not getting the type production. Maybe from Christian Walker that you want the consistent team. Maybe that Altuve. You know, he hits the home run, which is big, but you know where he goes on that heater, which he will. But then a guy like cam Smith and Jake Myers do their thing. So it really But isn't that kind of the essence of what I know? It sounds cheesy, but isn't that kind of the essence of a good team really That we talk about people picking you up when you're struggling, and that says not through verbage in a clubhouse. It's the other side, Oh you're struggling, Cam Smith, I gotta do more. I'm a rookie, but you know what, I gotta do more. And I believe they kind of take that on and wear it, and I think it's on their sleeve, man. And it's important because just when you think that I need Christian Walker, did you expect your right fielder this year? Not only did you expect it to be Cam Smith when we started, but did you expect him to hit two eighty and put him in the four hole windows. I thought this was going to be one of the worst Gold Glove caliber rightfielder already. And you say, I don't need Kyle Tucker back, even though he's got you get my point. We're not begging for Kyle Tucker back here. No, and he's going to be at All Star and he's a great player. So somebody else continues to say, Okay, my turn to lift pitching's done it all season with all these injuries, they had no choice and now, if you get healthy, then you'll have some choices to make, but good problems to have.
Speaker 6: Now, you definitely want choices as opposed to desperation, and the astros, at least right now, seem like they've got the former scenario on their hands. Ryan John Brandon. See you guys right there, a couple of lines open if you want to join them. Someone three two one two five seven ninety against seven one three two one two five seven ninety Also owe you that other bit of Dana Brown audio. We'll get to it here before we close up shop. On a Monday, Sports Talk seven nine Men's t Clinic dot com is where you go, guys, get out of lower gear. It's time to uplift and upgrade what you're doing every day so you don't have that you know, irritable day where you're not maximizing your wellness optimization. Wellness optimization, maximize it. Okay, that's what we have. You have to in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't have to. You can stay stuck in lower gear if you want. But if you were one of those guys than in twenty twenty four said I'm making the change of twenty twenty five and you have it. We're halfway through your one says man, I'm sluggish. I'm not feelness. Wellness optimization it's the phrase for me all year long, because optimizing it and maximizing that wellness where it starts at minstea clinic. Go and draw a little blood. It's non invasive and by the end of the day you'll get the results and then you start to normalize it. And isn't it some things you can't control in life, man, But when you know what the conflict is, Man, I'm sluggish. My sex life sucks. I'm not getting maximum out of that. Mom is not happy. I'm not getting full body wellness because I'm not dedicated to going in there and changing my life for the better. It takes you to get up, drive there, schedule appointm and go on in and get started. It's great to talk about, but if you're not getting started, you can't talk your way into feeling like your testosterones leveled out and normalized again. Get it taken care of and you'll thank yourself. You'll thank Men's Ta Clinic five convenient locations, eleven year anniversary, eleven years they've been changing lives. Can changers too. Stop waiting, get in there and do it. The more you turn this into a resolution, the longer it'll take. The more you turn it into a discipline decision and go get answers, the quicker you'll be able to get back to being you what you deserve. Men's TA clinic dot com, Men's ta clinic dot com.
Speaker 6: The seven to ninety listener line in the eight o'clock hour is presented by one eight hundred car Cash John.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Hey, good morning, got y'all do it?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 1: Great great weekend of baseball.
Speaker 12: Two days I've seen on the I know the Hull come out there on Friday and pitch light out. I know that rabbit came out there yesterday and pitch lights out. Now sad, it was a disappointed day because the lambs m of color. Uh it was like batting practice out there. He didn't have nothing going and uh when when uh when Cam put him up to one with that, but that Jack, I just knew that he was gonna And for him to come out the next day then give up six straight runs, that's unacceptable even for because this team is young and it's going places. The pitchers and pitching the life out along with the bullpen, and for him to come out there and take all the wheel out to sell. I think this other self. So if I was him, I was thinking about going to the bullpen to try to get my get my rhythm back because right now that's a fast team playing fast. The young guys was playing fast, and I think he's just out of touch right now. He plays flow. He looked old and he just didn't looking. I got one question for y'all, but I'm gonna hang up a list, and uh, y'all, let me know.
Speaker 1: Do it seem like you did somebody?
Speaker 12: Uh great players is getting targeted like uh, they're making a different in this winning like Pinya. I thought they throw the ball at Cam a couple of times they do. It seem like you we being targeted, and I thank.
Speaker 1: You, I appreciate the call. And no it doesn't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I the one on Friday night, I think that was just a pitch that got away and unfortunately it gets pinia. I mean, I understand in Sacramento and h in the Angels series you kind of wondered a little bit with al Tuova, but no, I think it's just pitchers pitching inside and sometimes it gets away from you.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't since that there is an intention to try to throw out Astro's hitters. But with mccullors, I mean, we heard what Sparky said, and you know on Saturday that first inning command was an issue, so probably was trying to figure out, all right, where do I have my best command? It's with my breaking stuff. The breaking stuff was not good, so the fastball didn't matter. But even with the decreased velocity. I mean, Steve Sparks, the guy that pitched in the Majors, knows a lot about it. If he's saying that, then I think there probably is something there with mccullors where you look at it and say, hey, we're off of this, and then go with the other stuff real quick.
Speaker 1: I don't believe they're targeting the assos because some get away and you'll keep an eye on as it goes on. But I don't think we're at that point right now. They're not a big taunting team anyway, they really aren't. They don't taunt. They do. They take care of their business. But I would imagine they'll protect and I like that, Oh you can keep on it, But I don't think those are intentional throws. I think sometimes it just happens. But the mcculor situation is going to have to improve it. They're gonna have decisions to make. And he's done some really good things. And I think Steve's right. I mean, when you see it, and it should be easy to adjust to throw more fastbles. If that's part of what Lance mccullors wants to change you.
Speaker 6: Pretty much when you get to the postseason, the first round you can go with three, the second round and on. You got have four starting pitchers at least. So that's what the race is to right now, final to fifth one, just depending right just maybe if you want to, you know, be able to try to give you know, fromber Hunter Brown an extra day. I mean, although Hunter Brown, I think if he's the first one out the gate, he would say, no, give it to me, especially we got a chance.
Speaker 1: Close this out, let's go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go?
Speaker 1: So did you just to time it out depending on it and knowing what you're looking for, but yeah, you gotta have four and you better have four strong, no doubt. Well they keep pitching this way.
Speaker 6: Definitely can hope for good things and believe that good things can come their way. Ryan, See you're right there, Brandon two. You want to join them seven one three two one two five seven ninety against seven one three two one two at five seven ninety. What are the Astros done with this? Start to help themselves out? We'll talk about it here on the other side, right here on a Monday Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 3: This is this Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so, your go to is Donna Summer.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one. Yeah, easily.
Speaker 6: You're in the ballpark there, so I mean you could be right. I mean there's some sort of like degrees of separation at that point. Absolutely, so good call, do you? Yeah, Well, you know, I try to connect the dots as best I can. Sean, the Strows they feel excited, so fans do because they're fifteen and thirty four on the season. They beat the Cubs just day two to nothing, and they take two out of three in that series. How about the Rockets, They got reason to be excited because Jabari Smith Junior extended five years, one hundred and twenty two million. According to reports, someone three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in Ryan up in Montgomery. He wants to weigh in Ryan.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Morton Fellas.
Speaker 22: I want to start by saying, I try to go to tailgaters this weekend, but my son is cutting teeth, so I didn't want to go on a date with a pissed offtero dactyl as a third wheel.
Speaker 19: I'm gonna try to get out there.
Speaker 6: There's there's there's plenty, there's plenty of people there that I assume that I assure you would be louder than he would.
Speaker 9: Yeah, probably were not wrong. Uh So I showed up late to the party. I apologized. I caught a little bit of the Steve.
Speaker 22: Sparks interview, but I heard you talking about finding at Lancet Callers where he needs to build off of, and I just think he's he's already has to be having these conversations with the pitching staff right like there's no way to not happening. That being said, he's a professional athlete. I'm not going to say you pretend like I know what I'm talking about, But at what point do you start having very honest conversations about capabilities and where you fit into this lineup? Because yeah, I know people have bad outings, that's one thing, But I feel like this is becoming more of a trend that we're seeing far too often. And I'm just wondering y'all's opinion on at what point do you start saying, hey man, maybe it's a bullpen thing, maybe you need to work on some other stuff in triple A or whatever it might be. When does that happen? And I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the call, Ryan, I mean, I think that it's kind of the same mold of what we were looking for after he had the rough outing against the Reds and mccullor's had that line this weekend that I guess the NL Central is just my daddy, because it was the redscheme where he couldn't even get out of the first inning, and then it was the rough first inning that you're able to get out with just one run given up, but then it was the fourth inning that can got away from Lance mccullor's junior. My answer would be, if you see this in the next start or the start after that, or anything else, that he's pretty much give you know, he's pretty much run out of any more lives to have. If he has another outing like this. If he does, then I think you do have to start having those conversations.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think there's more life. It just depends on if it says a starter on a regular basis, it's going to be one of your five guys. I think in Ryan's correct. I think this conversation, if it has already had to be had, had to be had, already had to have taken place, or it's fluid, fluid to the point where I don't think it's a stone cold lead pipe lock that he's entrenched into your third or fourth starter. I just don't, and I'm not sure that. I mean, maybe the organization does. But this organization has been extremely patient with players and allowing them a Bray you I'm talking I ain't talking about Brian Abrad you to work through it, Josea brad you, Christian Walker working through it. Over the course of time since I've been here, They've been patient, allowing players to play their way through it and at times pitched their way through it. But they will have to make hard decisions as they roll along, saying where is it best served not just for Lanceomac Colors, but for our organization and for this team. And for twenty twenty five, No one, I'm not worried about lance mc colors in the spring of twenty twenty six. Sorry, I'm just not. Just like I'm not worried about what Garcia is bringing next year. We'll deal with that when next year comes. I'm worried about this team right now and how we're going to do it and get it done now. And so the simple question that'll answer at all and we got to take feelings after And I don't know the answer to this yet, because is Saturday closer to lanceo mc colors or is the twelve strikeout closer? I want to think the twelve strikeout is. But where is he in the middle of this? What is he at the fifty mark? Is he leaning towards Okay, he's one of our guys. We're gonna he's he's headed in the right direction. Or man, We've got to rethink some of this to find out how much we can get out of him and where he's most effective for now we'll have twenty twenty six or what goes on for this team to win a World Series? It's real simple. Where do you make us better? It's not a hard one and in the process, you're trying to work it back, and we know he wants to and we know where he's best when he's good as a starter, But as far as his impact on this team today and going forward this year, the simple question among all of them has got to be not worried about somebody's feelings hurt or that is, does he give us the best chance to win when he starts? And is he one of our going forward? Can you envision where we get to the playoffs and we get in the long series and we need four stars. Is he one of them? And that's obviously going to be made as the season goes on, but you've got to decide before then. It can't be an experimental phase when when September gets here, you just can't. Experiments are done matter of fact that you start to creep toward. So you've got to find and then get settled in. So everybody once again defining the role. What's his right now it's a starter, you have a couple more starts like this, that conversation will heat up about where his best stuff. Is it best to get him for a couple of innings and long relief. Maybe maybe it's the spot start, and maybe he's the spot starter and starts once in a while, but we got him in a bullpen because man, if you haven't figured him out, you don't get a second or third bat to do it, and sometimes early in it. So to me, Lance mccolors, while it's a work in progress, we know what he's brought to the past, but the pass is behind us now in the injuries. He's here supposedly healthy, let's see. But it's a simple question for me do going forward? What gives our team the best chance to win in these circumstances, and he seems pretty versatile to be able to do both. I can't take feelings into account. I got to take what's best for our team. And if he's not one of those guys, if there's question marks, then that can't be a question in September. You've got to solidify that either he does by his performance or they do by their decision, and then you'll live with it and go forward. But it's a simple one. What makes us best in twenty twenty five. I'm not worried about lancemac colors or anybody else in the springtime next year.
Speaker 6: B Renelle Blanco five innings. Okay, Blanco, What if it can't, then you've got to go with somebody else who can, Okay, and.
Speaker 1: Then you move him to the bullpen. Right, that's the question you got asked? Can you be this guy more consistently? Where are you going to live more? Are we written the good stuff and you live where it's it's mid or is the twelve strikeout more like you? But a couple more starts to find it out. But right now you're kind of a little bit of a disadvantage because of the health of your staff. So you you're trying to make it work, and hopefully it will. But at some point in time, the feelings of anybody on this have to take a backseat to what's best for all twenty six cats and in an organization. And I still think it's a work in progress. I'm not ready to quit on it, but I am willing to adjust if in the next couple starts it doesn't look better. Because the optics were nasty. Yep, No, it's simple. They were bad.
Speaker 4: No, it was not.
Speaker 6: It was not good whatsoever. And it definitely gave you some cause for concern. Someone three two on two five seven ninety we said the one the words tone and tenor early. Well, that's gonna come into play here as we start our number four, because we're gonna hear from Dana Brown. Keep those two words in mind when you hear from him talking about a current astro.
Speaker 1: We'll do that right here. It is Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 10: KBM E Houston, k t V, E h D two Houston, an iHeart radio station.
Speaker 1: Yes that's a rocket.
Speaker 11: This is Sports Talk seven ninety, your home for your home teams from.
Speaker 3: The Parsons that match it next Studios, Houston.
Speaker 9: Catch that cash. This is Hunter Brown right now, you're chef for one thousand dollars. You're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: Just enter this nationwide keyword at Sports seven ninety dot com.
Speaker 10: Check C H E c K check Enter it now at Sports seven ninety dot com.
Speaker 4: Saulsbury, Albrightsbury, Houston.
Speaker 9: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 9: To usc true longtime friend, Seawan Salisbury.
Speaker 3: Dan, MATTHEWSCU, Jesus, this is the Sean Salsbury Show, agreeing to a five year, one hundred and twenty two million dollar contract extension, according to reports and Aldrich Pottgeater, the winner in five playoff holes at the Rocket Classic.
Speaker 6: Some of just the things that happened from over the weekend. But one of the other things that happened over the weekend, Sean is last week we get the news that Jeremy Pania is going to go with Scott Boris as his new agent. So of course people start to believe, all right, well, play out the string of years with Pania and then we'll see him go somewhere else and it'll be somebody else at Shortstop for the Astros. But yesterday Astros GM Dana Brown with Robert Ford and the crew on Astro Launch, and that question was asked to Dana Brown about Jeremy Pania and listen to, uh, listen to the tone of how.
Speaker 1: He talks about that situation with the Astro Shortstop.
Speaker 13: What it will not change is it will not change us making an effort to get Jeremy signed long term.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 13: We know that sometimes it could be difficult, uh to sign guys, you know, because you know when they use Boris as a representation, you know oftentimes they go to free agency, right and so, but it will will not stop us from trying to get something done, so I uh, you know, called Boris like right away when he let us know that he's representing them, and just you know, had an initial conversation and told him, look, we're still interested in signing Jeremy long term and so you know, we'll be in touch and we'll see.
Speaker 1: How that works out.
Speaker 6: Tone and tenor does that sound like when he was talking about Alex Pregman. Does that sound like when I'm trying to remember anybody else.
Speaker 1: I can tell you who it sounds like because I asked on this show about Kyle Tucker's contract and if they were going to get it done, and then Dane at the time, and I think and he believed it, and I'm with him one hundred percent. He simply said, we're going to make Kyle Tucker an astro for life. We probably pulled that up and he was very adamant and confident about it. Now things changed. But the key here is, and he's telling the truth. I think they made. They made the effort that they were within the parameters that Dana Brown had to work. They made the effort try and keep Kyle Tucker. When they realized it was going to be too big, you traded him smart moved to go get it now it looks brilliant. Instead of paying for hun in fifty million bucks, you got a right fielder who is under a rookie contract. You got ConTroll them for a while. You're not paying for it fifty million dollars right now, who's going to give you? Well, it appears he set it towards similar production if this assent continues. But Dana was adamant on this show live and I even repeated it. I said, so you're saying they wanted to make him an Astro for life. Unfortunately, with agents and stuff get involved. So that was a plan and a plan all find and Danny until maybe a detour comes in or a different agent. So I think he's one hundred percent like that Tony Tenny talking about that they have every intention like Kyle Tucker of keeping Jeremy Panya, I would think that. I love the fact that Dan admitted, well, we made a call right away, that's his agent. Let him know. Open it up that we're not shutting this off because Boris's reputation, the Astros have a reputation. When you get the free agent, we're not paying you that kind of money. That's been a business model, and now Dana trying to bridge that gap to let him know just because you're his agent and we respect you, doesn't mean you're sprinting somewhere else. Because you've represented quite a few guys that are here and or part of this here, right, and whether they've stayed or gone alto Vas of Boriskay, Right, he is, so is McCalla Colors. We know the others that have left Korea, right, No, Korea was not Was he was cream or was he No? I'd have to look. I think Kara was Bregman, Right. Isn't Bregman a Boris guy? Yeah, So he's had both. So I love that, Danta says an I think Dana had. The intention is absolutely it'll get tougher. It will get tougher to Hunter Browns of Scott Boris guy, They're gonna face that at some point. It'll get tougher. The better page your plays, it's gonna get tougher. You got the best or the most what's the best for the best, he's been the best. He's been the best over as far as getting people money, you've been the best made agent in baseball or the one that can get every ounce out of the turn up. But and so, but to keep it open is fine. But the better playing your plays, the more people are gonna be interested, the more money that's on the table, you're gonna have to face that. So I one hundred percent believe that Dana's intentions are we want him here and again and to extend him and make him an astro for a long time. But there's a lot of factors involved. But I do like the fact that he kept that at least the communication lines open. That because you're Scott Boris doesn't mean we're backing off from a guy we love and want to be here. So there's gonna be certain things that I hate to say it that Dana Brown's not gonna be able to because of if the money grows past his ability to sign him and then the history is move on. But if if Jim Crane signs off, no matter says you keep him here regardless of what it takes, well, God bless him, and that's a great thing. So we'll see what happens there. But I don't I don't think there's any lie or any like oh that's not going to happen. I believe that they all believe that that's going to happen. But Scott Morris is a he negotiates a little different, So you do have to face the fact that while they want him here, that he may not be if he continues this.
Speaker 6: It seems to me that from listening to Dana, you know what we just heard, there is a mutual interest to get something done. That's that's what it feels like. And I think the other part, as you mentioned Hunter Brown, is we have a good discussion here, we get something done here, then that gets the wheels moving on him.
Speaker 1: You're one hundred percent correct, Dan, And you know how we I think Dana. I think Dana should be in consideration. I think the last couple of years he's done an amazing job. Not because on the show we talked about it. We've had we all have. We don't have to agree with everything he says, and he doesn't have to agree with the questions that are asked. He's been great to us, and in truth, he's the way he's operating under these circumstances. How can you not say he's in the executive of your argument right now? You you absolutely have to, But now you hit what you said that they well, what was your point about Danny Brown with a hundred, that they're that they wanted the good intentions, they want to sign him and all and all. That's all. You're exactly right, those good intends This relationship helps you with the other relationship, of course it does, But in truth does it when all is settled in? Do you really believe that Payna and Hunter Brown together are going to have anything to do with how Boris deals with this organization or how they sign him. It's not. I mean, fine and dandy, it's it sounds great and I'm with you, but the reality of it is both of these cats right now are on an assent that they are in the best of the best in their positions in Major League Baseball. I can tell you one thing, you know hard, it's going to be signed both similar ages, right, yeah, similar so, and I don't know that we'd have to look. I don't have in front of you about you know, when it comes to fruition. My point is, I think their intentions are to keep their best players and to do it. But let's look at reality. Reality is, regardless of your relationship and good intentions and all that, we're opening up the lines of communication. Didn't they say that about Didn't we have the same feeling about Korea, Lines of communication, all of it. I'm talking about both. It's not just the astros. The lines of communicates good to keep them open. I don't think that Paynia and Hunter Brown dealing with the same agent and dealing with the astras have zero to do with Oh, you got Painia, So so I'll give you a Hunter Brown for a million less. That ain't gonna happen, dude, It's just not.
Speaker 6: No's how He's not going to allow for emotions to come into this. But you know, with Hunter Brown, he's entering into arbitration year number one, so he would be a free agent a year after Painia.
Speaker 1: Right, So in the same they'll be under if you sign THEMOL long terms five six, seven years. They're in the same umbrella of a pace gain right, the same area.
Speaker 6: So I think the thought is that you seem like you were having those conversations already with Pania, is that maybe you are a little bit further down the field to get it done. So then you get that done and maybe you can avoid arbitration with a guy who right now is making eight hundred and seven thousand two.
Speaker 1: Now try to get one early. That becomes a bargain later, and then if you can get the other one, and it becomes he's making a lot of money at least. And it kind of fits kind of with your not hell, if you're not us healthy. You waited and got till the end of it and got him towards free agency, and he had his numbers produced, and dude, he breaks the bank. So you got out in front at least to buy some time there, and you know what I mean. And same thing here. But all these things happen, and while good intentions matter, you still got to deal with it. And Hunter Brown ain't worried about the money somebody else getting paid. He wants on his team. But when it comes to him, he and Bors's gonna take care of he and Boris and obviously Hope and make it great for the organization. But what I'm saying is I don't think the two matter. I think they're both individually going to have to compartmentalize when you deal with it.
Speaker 6: Six years twenty five per for Hunter Brown. You offer that to him right now, he'd be crazy enough to take it. He's making eight hundred and seven thousand dollars right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I get it. I get it, man, these players, some of them are betting on themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I would love that if he'd say yes, that'd be great. The question is what is his agent telling about what they think his value will be if this continues. And all of them, Payne and Hunter Brown, damn well know they think it's going to continue, because that's why they're good players. Aside from being talented, they work and they're confident in what they do. So this doesn't feel for Hunter Brown and Jeremy Peney. I don't think they're thinking, yeah, let me get it right now, because I'm not sure I can do this rest of my car. I think they're both thinking, you better get me while the getting's good, because I am going to hammer the bank, not the Astros. I'm sure they both love to be here with the culture, but I know this. Everybody wants to get there if it's within a certain amount. One thing. If there's millions apart Bregman Korea, guess what they do. They move on and let's not very part of this. Even though he's not a I don't think he's a Boris guy. There's a guy coming to It's it's come come to Jesus time with the left hander who's pitching. Well, you're gonna be facing that before you face any of it. That's got to be the priority first to figure out what you're gonna do with him as we go to the second half of the season, because I got news for you. Ain't trading his ass. That didn't happen because you're going all in on a world series. So you're gonna have to face that long before Paynia and Hunter Brown get addressed. Yeah, both Paynia and Brown.
Speaker 6: If they get to arbitration this year, even if they avoid it, that's at least ten million dollars per guy. Oh yeah, So I mean that's why with with Brown, I feel like you get that offer in front of him quickly and you avoid that. Then the question is will Scott Bors be the one reaching out or as he said back and say, we wear no rush.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. But the client's always got to buy into Boris because there's times I'm sure the client said, no, dude, take yeah, be patient, dude, we're going to get what we need to get. Be patient, and that can be tough. But I always say I've said on this a million times and maybe the ath some athletes want it this way. The agent works for you. You do not work for the agent. Yeah, you pay the agent. You're four to six whatever it is, your percentage, you're paying him. You pay him. He doesn't have you know, he's not the guy when the decision comes down. You employ him. He doesn't employ you. Now, he can choose not to take you on as a client, but once he takes on, you're paying him a big time salary. With the money you make to take care of your stuff. You make the decision. That's why when I all blame it on the agent. Yeah, well, if you're a grown ask man and you're the one who hired him, don't give him power of attorney. You make the decision, and then the agent has to live by that. But he can be tempting to just sit there and let him run the show because he's had such success getting guys like Soto paid the lot of money. We'll see in a perfect world from ber Hunter, Brown and Jeremy Painter all here, and in the realistic world, the chances are slim, and I won't say none but that'll take a lot of doing and a little bit of a step outside of business model, wouldn't you If this is the assent for all three of these guys at this level continues.
Speaker 6: Astro is gonna have some money to spend after this offseason. Because you get Montero, you get to break you off the books. And then the other rule that you know is obviously one that you put on the side of the refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Never give away power of attorney. Rocky found that out. You shouldn't do that at any point in time in your life until it's on the bed and somebody else needs to take over. Yeah, and these athletes that do it find themselves about twenty five million dollars less rich when they're done. If they get with the wrong scum. They don't have to. That's not boris. But there are some out there that have stole plenty of money from athletes given power attorney. Ray to anybody, when you're that bad idea and you want to wash your hands of any responsibility, I'll let him think about it all. Don't get to a point when the decision has made you keep that power or you're you're you're you're going down a road that that's that's fall off a cliff. That's a bad idea.
Speaker 6: Saw something over the weekend that just goes to show you that the football off season it's just too long. We'll talk about it here. It is the Sean Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 9: Now back to Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Brandon. Good morning, Brandon, Good.
Speaker 16: Morning, Trying, Good morning Dan.
Speaker 9: How are you.
Speaker 16: Hey? I was at the game saurday.
Speaker 6: It was a rough one, Brandon. Well, yeah, hope hopefully you didn't stick it out too too long after the fourth inning?
Speaker 16: Yeah, did you hear what happened to Chicago fan?
Speaker 1: No, what happened?
Speaker 16: They he the security put out?
Speaker 1: Was there someone being unruly? Yeah, okay, that's no good. We don't want that.
Speaker 16: Yep, hey almost got kicked out.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, if they did, it sounds like they would have been warranted in doing some man. I didn't see it. I didn't hear about it. I hadn't seen any videos.
Speaker 16: I mean, no, they he almost got kicked out, But well, I know, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying like, I yeah, I mean, I gotta take your word for it. I have no idea.
Speaker 16: Anyway. I'm happy about the Barry Smith Jr.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a good it's a good deal by the Rockets to be able to lock up a guy that clearly they they believe is part of the future plans.
Speaker 16: Yeah. Hey, I'm happy about the.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: They excited about him too, Brandon. It's it's an exciting time to be a Houston sports fan.
Speaker 16: Sewn. Anyway. Anyway, Uh, who's pitching tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Tomorrow?
Speaker 6: I think it's Colton Gordon. I need to go back and check, but I think it's gonna be Gordon.
Speaker 16: Hey, did you do the Tampane Show or that Chris Gordy did?
Speaker 6: Gordy did it yesterday, so yeah, he had it yesterday, and then it was Ross on Saturday.
Speaker 16: So who Who's gonna do it during the Boston Series.
Speaker 6: Uh, they're gonna take on the Rockies. I think it's gonna be a lot of uh Matt and Ross doing it this week.
Speaker 16: Hey, if you see Matt, I tell him tell him I missed Nicole, you know, yesterday, not yesterday on Friday Friday?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? All right, man, We'll pass that along. We'll talk to you later, all right, Brandon, Okay, I appreciate it.
Speaker 16: And today when I said.
Speaker 1: Hi, you got it, man any for you.
Speaker 6: Football's offseason and the excitement that everybody seems to give themselves during the off season. Tys Simpson is going to maybe be the quarterback at Alabama. The Manning Passing Academy happening over the weekend down in Thibodaux, Louisiana. Everybody's losing their mind over this throw that Ty Simpson made. And I guess it was sixty yards in the air, whatever it was. But Sean, I mean, you coach quarterbacks.
Speaker 12: You know that.
Speaker 6: You know the the underwear Olympics. That is the off season of everybody in shorts and T shirts. And you see videos like this, and I understand that it can make people excited for potential, but when you see things like that, are you just kind of like, Okay, it was a nice throw, but it means nothing in the long run.
Speaker 1: Every Division one quarterback in this country in a pair of shorts and a T shirt. I'm not listen. I've coached the Manning Passing Academy. It's all some great time. They're doing great things a ton of kids, and the kids love it because the college counselors are their coaching them. I mean, the college quarterbacks, counselors, their former coaches, players, all this are there and the mannings it's a great, a great event, and it's you know, it's it can with the people that are waltzing around there. It's you know, hanging down. These said their heroes are there and the quarterback they want to go in there. Kid is going to be a junior, right, kid is going to be a junior in high school? Right? Or people who watched Simpson play in high school now they're like, man, I can't wait to go to Alabama. That kid's all. I get it all, but we we got We see it all the time at the combine. We see it in a guy's private workout. Zach Wilson is the perfect example of that. Is that I don't know many quarterbacks in college. We're to the point now, I got well, I train a handful of high school guys can drop back and throw its fifty five sixty yards halfway through their warm up and landed to a receiver running down the right side. First off, we never have to throw a ball unless it's a broken play. Ever, we'll never throw a ball sixty yards unless it's a scramble. A hail Mary or you're scrambling around. Have to make plays and you have to do it like Cordell Stewart did years ago, Doug Flutie did against Notre Dame. Scramble around by time and throw it seventy two yards. That those are nice, but or when you got to throw it from the thirty five yard line for a hail mary. Yes, but in a drop back throw and it's Brian Billick did a study on this. It was like, forty four yards is the perfect throw? Five yards on the sideline on a go route. I don't even know it was. It just a deep momb on the right. Then throw a drop back throw five and a hit post. Yeah, you throw five or a big post, whatever it is. So you're throwing the ball down there, it's forty four yards in about in drifting five yards fading him to the sideline. You're rarely on a deep ball when you drop back throw on time to a receiver run and scoed one two three, four five or from the gun one two three, hitch and throw. It's a forty five forty seven, forty four yard throw and then they run after the catch. That's all fine, And I know it looks good and everybody hypes because on video. Make no mistake, I doubt that there's a starting quarterback well in the NFL. I know there's not, but a starting quarterback in the in college football at a Division I school that can't drop back and throw at fifty five sixty yards and hit a guy and striding shorts and a T shirt. It's fun and it's all hype and hyperbole. It's every everybody I know that plays a position. I'm coaching a bunch of them. Now, there's sixteen seventy you can make the throw? Now, can you make the throw under the reskt and hit the mouth and then make a deep dig throw and come back and hit this and make that throw? Those are fine, But can you make a curl route throw fifteen times over the course of Oh, you're thirteen out of fifteen under eleven on eleven Druss? It's fine because offseason I get the I get it, but let's not make a big deal over it because the four guys behind him at Alabama can do the same thing in shorts and a T shirt. I assure you lower those expects. Don't put that pressure. Hey through its sixty yards in a manning camp and shorts and a T shirt, and he's going to be a great player. He may be a great player. It'll have absolutely nothing to do with sixty yard throw in a pair of shorts and a T shirt and a camp. Not playing eleven on eleven. Hell, I damn near maybe still be able to do that now. I can't move it for squat. I ain't gonna run it. But my point is is that we make a big deal over it and the expectations. Judge, I'll find out what kind of skill set of guy's got eleven on eleven. All of them look good in shorts and a T shirt. They can all throw it.
Speaker 6: Remember, kids, you're always working eleven on eleven. It's never routes on air. You heard it here first.
Speaker 1: Never routes on air, because if you're just throwing it to throw it, those are wasted reps. Why the why is always why are you throwing that ball to that curl route? If you're playing eleven on eleven, you'll have an answer for me. You're always thinking football if you're playing routes on air and it's me throwing to no defense, I don't think on Sundays or Saturdays, did we play. Did we play routes on air? I do believe there's eleven defenders you've got to deal with just a hunch. I don't think I've seen a game like that unless it's a Pro Bowl seven on a flag football gold medal game. Seven on seven could ruin a guy too if you're taking bad reps because you don't understand the process of a pass rush. But good reps matter. Scared money don't make money. Empty reps don't aren't good reps. So there you go and throwing it fifty five or sixty yards to a guy in shorts and a T shirt. Thanks, But it's every swinging unit that plays can make that throw.
Speaker 6: What if I were to tell you that something that people perceive to be a concern is actually a really good thing, And I'll explain that here as we continue on the Seawn Salisbury Show on a Monday Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Hey, country boys, roof in guys time. I don't know if the storms hit you or I was up in my neck of the woods. It pounded yesterday day before me. They keep coming. So how's your roof? Let's get right down to it. Is your roof doing what it needs to do. Is it starting to age a little bit? The weather you know, we get starts to heat and rain and heat rain before you don't wins coming get out in front of this. You want your we safe from protect That's where Country Boys, Country with the K, Boys with the Z comes into play to protect you and keep you safe without having to mortgage your home for the next year because you fixed your roof in dire times. Country Boys Roofing won't do that. There's no price gouging. Okay, fifteen hundred dollars discount off the full roof when you're a first responder or an educator or military and if you're not one of those, one thousand dollars discount off your full roof if you just mentioned my name, so you got that. They're going to help you navigate the insurance claims, which suck, but they're going to help you to make it easier. And they want the experience of your safety and protection to be easy without you giving up the whole farm, but also protecting your home on the farm. That's Country Boys Roofing. Anywhere in Houston you want them, they'll go and they will. No job too big or too small, but those discounts on the full roof. But think about it. Don't you want safety, trust, transparency, and somebody you can count on through this who's not going to crush you with the price gouging. That's Country Boys Roofing. There is no better in my opinion, and they are proud new members of the better busines this bureau, and they live up to it. Country Boys Roofing Great team, Countryboysroofing dot Com. Countryboysroofing dot Com.
Speaker 6: The seven ninety listener line here in the nine o'clock hour is presented by one eight hundred car cash. Now it is more popular than it has ever been. Leagues are willing to embrace such properties now. I mean you can't watch a game now without seeing live odds or you know, some sort of daily fantasy play, whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: It's it's part of the fabric now. I mean it comes with the house. Yep.
Speaker 6: It's in the NFL, it's in Major League Baseball, it's in the NBA. Well, Malik Beasley is one of the top free agents this offseason, and he is part of a federal investigation right now because what got this started was a prominent sports book which was not named in the story reportedly detected unusual betting activity on Beasley props as are in early twenty twenty four. It was actually January of twenty twenty five for when it was a game between the Bucks and the Portland Trailblazers where Beasley was recording less than two and a half rebounds, and it moved significantly before the game, going from around plus one twenty to minus two fifty after an under experienced a high amount of action and Beasley that night recorded six rebounds. Now, his attorney has told ESPN an investigation is not a charge and that my client has afforded the same right to presumption of innocence as anyone else. The NBA says they are cooperating with federal prosecutors on this case. Now, some people might look at this and say, see with you know, gambling just everywhere, Now this is going to happen. You're going to have you know where you know guys are on the take again, guys you know, shave points, whatever it might be. I go the opposite way. It's reasons like this or why they're not going to happen. Because the sports books is for anybody that as any type of notion about them. Whenever they see things like this, they immediately somebody comes up and you know they they can track you.
Speaker 1: They know what your action is. The sports books and the way they track it, in the way the NFL or NBA or Major League Baseball will and can and does track it is not to be messed with. I'm just telling you. And when you wake up and you think that you can beat the system, they will find you. It always does, and they they're looking and the more attention meaning okay, let's say gambling and betting is legal in all fifty states, they're gonna be on high alert too, because they don't want to get cheated. They don't want to The books don't want to get cheated either. They don't want you to start to collude with your guys, say hey, do this, do this, do this. Then they're they're losing because when it comes to the bottom line, like most business, they're gonna make they're gonna protect their they're protecting them and in the process they're gonna protect the player from the self. I am completed in complete agreement with you, in disagreement that because somebody like you can find it if you want to do it. They'll just go get a bookie and if they're dumb enough, they'll do it themselves.
Speaker 4: And know that.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they're that dumb and get found out. I don't know what Beasley did and that's why I'm not going to bury him yet til I know his lawyer is exactly correct. He does deserve being investigated. Doesn't mean you're guilty. That's we automatically think, whoo, whether's smoke, there's fire, and in some cases there may very well be. It'd be hard for me to believe. And then again, it's not hard because we've seen some stupidity, and I understand the hypocrisy of the pro sports about gambling and then having sponsors on outfield walls or on you know what I'm saying, or on uniforms or whatever we're doing. Now, there's a bit of hypocrisy there. They're getting rich off the billions and getting on you for betting on a fantasy team eight bucks. Okay, as a player, but I get it. It's said the rule is set, so you got to live by it, and it's basically a law in pro sports as we've seen. But when it comes to this, they will find you if there's active, if there's activity that hasn't been going on, Hey, your bank can find if it's that's weird activity, you weren't in that state, distay, and you can't use your debit card in the next day over because yesterday you're using it in a grocery store and they flag it and they let you know, and you're like, oh, now you've got to go through the hassle of Okay, I gotta wait too. It's a pain in the ass. But they watch it for a reason. Even sometimes you feel like you got to tell them you're traveling. So it's're not getting gas in five different states. But in this same thing, dude, it's they listen, start talking about golf and on your phone, on your phone, a golf ads going to show up. It just is start talking about so on this and you're actually putting it in that They know how to track these that's what they do, and they pay people a lot of money to do it. So I don't know what Beasley did, and he deserves the right for us to find out the truth. If he did do it, you can't be any dumber than that. Yeah, I don't care if it was one hundred bucks or a hundred thousand bucks. You can't be there. I know I'll beat this system because if there's crazy movement, they look in and then all of a sudden there's a trail. There's always a trail. That act that said, they do it when you're setting there in person, and do it if you're sitting there and you're away from it, do it there. And I don't the reason I said him, but any of us would be dumb to say, hey man, I think I'm gonna do this and change this and and boom, it's a flashing neon light for them. And then you know what they do. They dive deeper. And once that dive starts, brother, if you're guilty, they will get you. So we can have all the argument we want on the hypocrisy of pro sports at times with this. But on the other side, I'm with you. If you're gonna if you're gonna gamble and you're addicted to it, you're gonna do it whether it's available to you a mile away or one hundred miles away. But the more you start to see this appen, players get scared thinking and I'm gonna lose twenty five million dollars. What if they suspend me, kick me out a league. Yeah, it's it's not why. You don't need to do that. And if you ever were going to try to cheat the system, I'm not giving him any ideas, but there's a way to do it without you punching a button yourself, or could just just silly, right, silly, don't try to beat their system because over the long haul, they're gonna get you, and when it's a crazy movement, they'll get you. And as a pro athlete, there's the risk is not worth the reward. There's two fail saves here.
Speaker 6: Number one, as I said, they're really good at seeing when it looks like something is afloat, in no question. The other as well, as it's a highly regulated industry that is very good at not giving away their money.
Speaker 1: Not a dime, okay. They they know how to make it and they know how to keep it, and they know how to prevent from them getting hammered with it.
Speaker 6: And there's people who deal with sharps that have a lot of money. Those people I've found out over the weekend, they get different odds.
Speaker 1: Of course they do, because you're willing to put your put in more yes, those guys who move the line and change the whole course of it. Yes, they get different odds. And that's why you'll see these big sports betters shop their their services to certain I want this one, I want this, and I want this, and well what am I getting on this? Oh we'll give you an extra half a point. Oh cool, then you'll take my ten million bucks. Of course, it's called negotiations in smart business. I had one, I mean, and sometimes they lose at it and they don't get their bonus at their casito and hope that the next time. Yet the guy that the very guy that hammers them and beats them because he's a sharp is the guy they welcome back into the casito in the sportsbook because they're saying, he got us one time, and we're gonna get him. But they do regulate, they watch it closely. If you're ever going to try to beat a system, guess what, that ain't the one. It's just not every little hint, nook and cranny they will find. I hope Malik Beasley did not do this, because you don't need that. Number two is too much. There's too much money for you to make a couple. And I understand people like the challenge. Find a different challenge. If that's the case, let's hope that he wasn't doing that. Get your thrills somewhere else, no doubt. All Right, the Astros things have been really good. Just how good were they over the weekend.
Speaker 6: We'll discuss that as we close out the Monday edition of the Sean Salisbury Shows Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 10: Let the celebration start war Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 6: Jabari Smith Junior five year, one hundred and twenty two million dollar extension with the Rockets someone three two one two five seven ninety. The next three guys to go for the Astros this week are gonna be Colton Gordon Tomorrow, Hunter Brown on Wednesday, and then Brandon Walker or Brandon Walter on not the guy from Barstool, Brandon Walter on Thursday. And then you get the Dodgers series where Fromber will throw during that series.
Speaker 1: That almost feels like an LA trip way that's over the July fourth weekend, and uh uh man, that'd be a fun trip. Really wouldn't, even though I mean, you know it's I know you're getting on a plane and all that travel and it's a pain in the ass because there's so many p It's supposed to be a record travel weekend or week this week, so I don't know. Every year they say there's a record of some of some sort. But that'd be a fun series to be at Chavez Ravine watching the Astros and the Dodgers play over the fourth weekend with fireworks at the stadium. That would be really cool. It's gonna be anybody that's doing good on you man, that's all have you seen? Huh Yeah? Love that cut. But it's a well, they're about to get a load of seeing the Astros too. This is gonna be fun. It's gonna be fun pitching matchups.
Speaker 6: Well, it's also I mean, for what you just did this past week where you beat a Phillies team who's really good, just took two out of three from the Braves over the weekend in Atlanta, and then you took on a Cubs team that was the same as you record wise, and you were able to take two out of three from them and able to have a good amount of offense on Friday, not so much on Saturday, in just enough yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what's great too, is that. Don't kid yourself. The Dodgers know who these astros are, and so does major League Baseball. Maybe we had a question early of what they were gonna be like this year. They know exactly what you're in for, as does everybody else in both the American and National League, of what you're getting out of these astros. And there's a different I mean, they've always had this great grind. There's a delivererent, a different belief for me and them. I don't know what it is, and I'm trying to put my finger because I don't know. From my point of view, good pitching and all the stuff that's obvious, but I don't know. Do I maybe feel like that they're tired of hearing that they did. Maybe the Ashles get the point where well, this guy's gone, this guy's gone, and they just keep going that. It's like, well stay tuned, you know what it's weird. Jake Myers, I feel like he got tired of hearing people say can't hit right. And sometimes I'm telling you, I know in mic it is a factor. And when you say, well, don't listen to people say some people we just you hear whether you want to or not, because somebody will make sure they let you know. But I don't know. There's just a different for me, a different confidence about this team. I don't know if maybe the bullpen makes me feel a security blanket. I don't know. If it's just that guys continue to elevate their play. I don't know if it's just the emergence of Jake Myers and Paynya and camp Smith among others that make you feel like damn. But it's almost as if they and you know what, there's not a whole lot of and I don't mean this disrespectful. How often is this team and I know we love it. Does this team batflip in a third inning home run? Not very often, right, Rare? I mean, it's almost their expectation. This is who we are, man, we're Barry Sanders approach, We score touchdowns, the ball goes back to referee. Not that that matters, but there's just it's part of the whole picture. It almost feels like they expect to do it. I know exactly what it is.
Speaker 6: It's close games late, and if it's in that scenario, they look at it and say, that's our game.
Speaker 1: And what happens when you win close games late and come from behind and keep closing games out and winning them. You know what happens is that you I'm telling you it's a habit. It's no longer I think we can. It's oh, it's two to one done that. That's how you feel. And you're more shocked if you lose it than if you win it and I don't. It's they're not supposed I'm just telling you they're not supposed to be this good this year. They're just not supposed to be. You can't walk down one after one, one after the other say oh yeah, I knew this. It's to stop it. And there was no bigger endorser of cam Smith than me. And you know this down to the ends of the earth. Endorser. Do not send it to the minor leagues. Don't waste it. He's too good and hoping that it comes to fruition. There's no way he thought this. You just didn't, myers. You're eighty points different than what you thought. I'm just telling you are so pitching. We can go through it, take a laundry list of it, but they are not supposed to be doing this.
Speaker 6: In the last thirty eight games, cam Smith is hitting three twenty three. I believe the Astros are twenty six and twelve.
Speaker 1: I'm just testing. And when I say not supposed to, they're good. But the expectations I mean, being this good, I just you're not supposed to and it's not easy. But it's not supposed to feel this easy. Right at fifty and thirty four. Yeah, it's impressive. You didn't have this on your card. Man, you had a good and we'll see. But it's no longer now good. Now we're talking to C. Sparks. There's nobody that has They have less weakness than anybody in the American League. Now, I want you to fathom that with all these injuries and what they've run, and Tucker and Bregman are long here. Oh they everybody in the American League has more weak This is in the Astros. Now, I want you to take that to heart. I'll tell you if you had that plan in April, at the beginning of April, not a lot of being going carnival. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: He's Shawn Salisbury Triple Emmanuel Elmore, Dan Matthews. It is another edition of the Shawan Salisbury Show. In the books The matt Thomas Show with Ross coming up right here. We will talk to you in twenty hours