Speaker 1: Yea ripped.
Speaker 2: News need advice, so you don't have come running just as as you can. Shooter's gonna help come. Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, Hey Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. We're solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints. And we had a call earlier in the show and a woman was calling about harassment at an apartment how she said, look, they're bothering me. I'm on Section eight. Section eight's paying my rent, but they want to get me out of here. They gave me a notice of non complaint, excuse me, a notice of non renewal ninety days ago, and then I just got another notice of non compliance which gives me three days. I'm supposed to be out of here tomorrow. And we had our attorney, Brad O'Brien who's with us today. Brad O'Brien is Well Brian Legal Services, a real estate law firm and helps with real estate issues. He said that obviously they would have to prove it and she'll get her day in court, but if she's not out of there, they will probably do an eviction. But she doesn't literally have to be out the door tomorrow. That's just when they gave her notice to and then if she doesn't leave, most likely the landlord will start eviction proceedings. So Christy, what is your additional question about eviction itself? And real quick? Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 3: I wanted Brad to explain kind of why they are evicting or what they're reasoning is.
Speaker 4: I looked at the actual notice of to terminate the tendency and a little trying to evict her three different ways. One of them we can rule that right away. One is weak, and one probably has a decent chance of prevailing. So with the one we can go through them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Number one, the substantial violation based on her allegedly harassing office the office staff under the substantial violation statute. The substantial violation statute is to terminated the lease early for something that is criminal conduct, and just mere harassment of the office staff won't arise to that level.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Secondly, is harassment of the office staff based on some lease provision, some no nuisance lease provision, if it's in there. I don't know that, I haven't reviewed the lease, but if the lease says you can't harass landlord or other tenants. Then potentially they could use that one to say that it's the breach of the lease, and that's a question of fact. That's a hard one to prove up in court. That's why I say that's a weak claim. And also judges are probably reluctant to grant eviction on some heated discussion in the office when this Christie probably can tell you why where she was coming from, and probably can explain that it wasn't as bad as they're saying. The one, the third reason why they're trying to evict her that has the better chance of prevailing is she didn't She apparently didn't pay the full deposit that was due under the lease. And that's a hard requirement. That's easy to prove. That's money that's due.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now that that's non compliance, right That that meaning it's a breach of the contract for not paying the full deposit, Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They can give her a ten day notice on not paying the full security deposit. That's this isn't quite the same ten day notice. It's not how it's drafted. So a judge could could it could you know use that as a technicality to make it make the landlords start over. But another judge might just say this, you've been given the ten days notice to pay the security deposit and you didn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Christy, before you start, and I know she's going to start on a very long diet tribe about the security deposit. But we narrowed it down and here here's what you need, Christie. Number one. He is saying the two substantial violations will probably not hold up for the for the criminal activity. Okay, but he said they do have a shot at evicting you for non payment of the full deposit. Now go about and tell your creep deposit story.
Speaker 5: We have been paying it one hundred dollars a month, spent the incident where he was like, oh, lets you do, but I don't think you'll be successful at it, And I was like, I'm always successful, no matter how broke I am. I do this. So I'm paying it and every time I pay, like three hundred dollars down, he puts two hundred dollars under ledger, and so I started documenting by taking screenshots. Every time I made a payment, he would put something new, like he charged me two hundred dollars for the mice.
Speaker 2: That okay, But but you understand something. What we're what We're not here to try your case. We're not here to try your case. But it is very possible when you go to court, it is very possible the judge is going to rule in their favor. That's what more were you going to say?
Speaker 4: So it sounds here like the least says that this large amount of money is due as security deposit upfront.
Speaker 2: However, that sounds like also.
Speaker 4: The landlord modified that written lease requirement by giving her a payment plan, and she is more or less faithful with the payment plan so far.
Speaker 2: So that's her that's her argument for the judge. That's her defense.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she paid.
Speaker 5: Eighteen hundred dollars for fifteen hundred dollars in coverage. But every since that day, I've been putting money on the ledger until you locked it.
Speaker 3: So I can't make you're just going to go You're going to go through that with the judge. I mean, that's that's going to be your day in court. Like we've said numerous times.
Speaker 5: I'm fine with that. I just don't think it's fair that they're doing that.
Speaker 2: But that's what the judge is for. What do you mean? But what do you mean by that? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: Okay, So a cabinet fell out of my last house and I.
Speaker 2: Put it on therrelevant.
Speaker 3: None of that, None of that has anything to do with what's going on right now, though.
Speaker 5: I sent you guys more emails to show you why it's relevant. Both companies have conjoints together, my last landlord and my new landlord, and once they did that, that's when they started racing. I've been paying it every month.
Speaker 2: Old, what do you mean you had you didn't have two different landlords. You're in the same place.
Speaker 5: I'm shaying. My last my last location was under a different real estate agency and the new one as they are conjointed as of November there.
Speaker 2: But what difference does that make? It all comes down to whether you owe the money or not. Christy. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't, But they're trying to hurt me because I told on them. I'm an activist like you.
Speaker 3: Look okay, okay, Christy, Christy now found the wrong because you're fighting the wrong battles, You're gonna have your chance.
Speaker 2: Exactly to prove to the judge exactly what you've been doing. Exactly what Brad said. They modified it.
Speaker 3: They've been taking payments from you. You prove that to the judge through the pictures you just said. Now, now I had to put her on hold. Tom, I'm sorry. I'll bring her back up.
Speaker 2: She won't listen. She won't listen. She keeps talking about them trying to get revenge because she's an active She found a blind purse or something whatever. And by the way, oh, here's all I'm going to say. Either you owe the money or not. But I want to ask Brad O'Brien some very basic questions. She did bring up a point about somewhat of a moving target. How does she protect herself against a moving target? In other words, if they say she owes x amount of dollars, how can they, in a month or two say, now you owe x amount of dollars and it's more because we tacked on more money. How does she keep that from happening?
Speaker 1: She shows proof of payment, right, Well, a lot of this is spoken and not in writing, so her testimony will be that they gave her a promise, which is this payment plan, and if they changed it later, that can be held against the landlord.
Speaker 4: And she can enforce the prove it. Yeah, or she'd have.
Speaker 2: To prove that she had an agreement that they violated.
Speaker 4: Yeah. These agreements don't have to be in writing. They can this modification of the least they can. She can orally testifies, you know, orally that what the landlord promised her.
Speaker 3: And show that she paid it too, right through whatever kind of receipt I wanted to ask.
Speaker 2: You about, Okay, And they what if they can orally say we never did it, we never agreed to that.
Speaker 4: And the judge exactly, it is enforceable to the extent that she paid. So if they took three months on this payment plan, then that is that shows that she made a substantial progress towards the payment plan and proves the existence of the payment plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or what But Brad on this second one, the second argument they gave where basically the landlord saying you were bothering us. And in the let's assume in the lease it says what word did they use? They didn't use bothering harassment, So harassment if she sent off let's say that is in the lease, okay, and she sent off ten emails going oh.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. You guys suck and you don't do this.
Speaker 3: And I found a bloody person you're all after me and she's doing this constantly. That could be harassment. Uh yeah, but wait, that's not my question. You said if it was in the lease. There's probably so many people like Bo who's got a bunch of rental properties in Denver where that language is not in your lease. I didn't realize by putting language like that in the lease, you could actually create an agreement between you and attendant in Colorado to where they can't harass you all the time, where if you didn't have it in there, they could harass you. That's a great reason and for landlords to call you. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, many leasas have do not have any no nuisance provision. But it's really hard to evict on that one because it's a question of fact, and the judge will look at the circumstances of the arguments that one side is saying is harassment, and the other side will say was justified under the circumstances because they had advice to complain.
Speaker 3: If you got voicemails from some wacko tenant at two am when they're drunk every night. I mean you might be able to prove harassment and get them out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's a much murkier type of a case than just pay the rent or did you not pay the rent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to I want to wrap this up, and Christy, it all comes down to this, Okay, it really does. And if you go beyond this, you're gonna lose. It all comes down to this. Did you have an agreement for the security deposit? And are you following that agreement? That's what it's going to come down to. They're going to say you're not paying the deposit as you were supposed to. You're going to say you had an agreement. You better bring whatever evidence you have or some extra or or extraneous notes that you've written down so you can prove it.
Speaker 5: Everything is documented. Bush for your hope, all good.
Speaker 2: If everything is documented, you're gonna win. If I will win if every week?
Speaker 5: But what constitution has or what is take me the terminology? Am I retalitative eviction on? How do I prove.
Speaker 4: That retaliation comes into play in the warranty habitability statue? If you complained about a habitbility concerned like no heat no water termites and then they evict you. That is harassment and that the habitability statute prohibits that. Now, the only thing you mentioned that would come close to that is you talked about some cabinets that were non functioning or something. I don't really think that is a habitability item. So that so the habitability statue here is not really invoked and its own retail clauses also not to vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to take a break. I mean she's either look, you either do what what we're directing you or I mean, not do it. We're not giving you direct legal advice, but you better look at the substantial issue here, Christy, because you're going off on left out and left field. They're not going to They're not going to have sympathy for you. We have more coming up, and I want to tell you renew Home Innovations will give you the most beautiful showers, porcelain sheet, porcelain, no maintenance and beauty. They can do it as a wains coating around the whole bathroom or just your shower. They can do a walk and shower anywhere you have that ugly tub that you want to get rid of. Renew Home innovations dot com. Just it takes two or three days for that whole project for you, and you can pay over months renew home Innovations dot Com three oh three nine zero four to two thousand. Hi Tom Martino. Here, Now we go to Eva, who has a question on real estate. In real estate, I hope it's a lot easier than the last ones we called. All right, Eva, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Hello Tom? Yes, I have hopefully an easy question. I am trying to figure out in the life things that I want to do, and I wanted to give a house that I have to a grandchild.
Speaker 2: Oh God, yes, Eva, I know. I know. This is Eva who's whose kids are taking advantage of her and raping or blind as far as raping and pillaging financially, you want to leave your home to your grandson.
Speaker 8: I will actually trust legally it's eagerly legally my son. But I want to get out from under it, and it needs repairs and stuff, and he's willing to do all that. But I want okay, so the pros consfinancial.
Speaker 2: Okay for me?
Speaker 8: I don't need that house, Okay, I want to be okay.
Speaker 2: Now, Eva, I'm gonna I'm gonna talk to you about this, and I have before right now, you do not live in this house? Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 2: Is the house? Is the house free and clear?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 8: It is?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you have a paid off you have a free and clear, paid off home. You want to leave now, you can do it in one of two ways, or actually there's more than two. And maybe I don't know if Brad talks about this or not, because I know he says some is taxes, some stuff fall under the realm of taxes and others. But I can tell you this for sure. If you leave the home to your son while you're alive, if you dat it over to your son while you're alive, your son will inherit the basis you have on that house. Now, that's not the end of the world. Your basis is how much how much is your house? Did you buy your house for?
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, that was so many years ago, probably over three hundred thousand, so you.
Speaker 2: Bought it for maybe three point fifty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, probably three forty eight something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say that your basis. Have you ever put major repairs into that home? No? Okay, So let's just say for argument's sake, you have a basis of three hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Okay, that's a basis. Now what that means is what that means is when he when you quit claim it to him, he will have a basis the same as yours. So if he goes to sell it, if he goes to sell it, anything above that will be taxed, unless it's this primary residence, then he'll get a certain amount of exclusion. The reason people wait until death to do this is usually because the basis will be higher and that will mean less taxes for the heirs. But that doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter, for example, is he going to sell the house right away or is he going to fix it up and live in it.
Speaker 8: He's planning on fixing it up and doing it. Is to call the ten thirty one where he gets something else?
Speaker 2: And okay, all right, well it's not called a ten thirty one unless you do it ten thirty one, And most people don't do ten thirty ones and they don't know what they're talking about when they talk about them. But in general, maybe Bradton can speak to this. In general, if your basis is three point fifty, your son is going to inherit that basis. So if he adds to that another fifty grand, he'll have a basis of four hundred. And since it's not his primary residence, he's doing it for investment, then he'll have to pay tax on the gain. And that's the way it is, however, Eva, once you sign it over.
Speaker 8: To him, go ahead, Oh he does live there.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it's but he's going to have to live there after you did it to him, not before, for it to be his primary residence. For you know, it to be his primary residence. Here's he's going to have to live there. He's going to have to live there for two years for it to be his primary residence.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Mark, Well, all we're talking about is to tax ramifications. How about the fact she owns his house and everything we've ever heard about this child in the last ten years, including stealing cars and everything else. I mean, she might want that house out of her name because she might be liable for the drugs he's cooking up in there or whatever.
Speaker 8: Oh good god, are you making up things even I'm not.
Speaker 2: Making I mean, you've called with a lot, You've called with a lot of crappy stories over the years. Even Here's what I want to know. Are you willing? Are you truly? And I need to know this once you quit claim that home to him and release it and it's his home, are you willing not to bail him out when he puts a giant loan on it and forecloses. Are you willing to let him go homeless? Because that's what's going to happen to him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's my fear. But I just want to be done with the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I don't think it should be any done with it. And for a million reasons.
Speaker 2: If she doesn't want the house and she doesn't care the three hundred and fifty thousand she could get for selling it, What I would do if I were you, Eva, is I would first I would think, why doesn't he buy the house? Give me a reason he doesn't have money?
Speaker 8: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Eva? Okay, how is he going to pay for the taxes and insurance?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm paying the second half in a couple of days, and I'm choosing to pay that, so he won't have a property text till January February of next year.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter when it is, It doesn't matter when he not pays it what happens when he doesn't pay his taxes the year later or his insurance. What's going to happen? Then? Are you going to because you said you wanted to wash your hands of it, what I'm proposing to you is, Eva, you're not going to wash your hands. You're going to sign this home over to your grandson and you're going to continue paying all the bills, so you're not out from under it. If anything, you've complicated your situation because you won't be able to evict him, and you'll never be able to sell it, and you will be in debt. So, Eva, you're not doing what you want to do. What you want to do is sell it to him. If he doesn't have the money to buy it, he doesn't have the money to pay taxes and insurance. What good is what you're doing. You're not getting out from under it. It's still going to be a burden. Here's what would be better. Even you know what would be better. I swear to God, you sell the house right now, Sell the house for as much as you can get and give him the money. Then you can be done with him. Then he'll have money that he can blow on drugs and alcohol. And all that other stuff, and then you can be done with him.
Speaker 8: Excuse me, he's never done alcohol and drugs. You're adding things to the story that don't exist.
Speaker 2: Okay, Eva, I want you to live in your la la land. Can we agree that this kid is never worked and taken advantage of you your whole life, his whole life.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So what makes you think he's going to change.
Speaker 8: I'm not looking at that. I am wanting to know the consequences for me.
Speaker 2: If okay, here are the consequences, Here are the consequences. If you deed the house over to him. There are no consequences to you except the ones you take on. So as soon as you deed the house over to him, if he tried, if he sells it, it would be good for you. Then he can take the money and run. But I think what will happen instead is he's going to continue living there. And this home you want to get out from under, you're not going to be out from under because if it needs a major repair, you're going to step up and make the major If he needs to pay his taxes, you're gonna step up and pay his taxes. If he needs to pay the insurance. You're going to step up and pay his insurance. So my question to you is this, how designing the home over to him get you out from under it?
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know what to say to you. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just want to know what the consequences are for me, Eva, and.
Speaker 2: The consequences I just rolled out. I just rolled out the consequences. There are none. Once you sign that house over to him, you're done with it. But what I'm saying to you is are you really going to be done with it? Or are you going to continue to pay every single bill he incurs? That's what I'm asking you. What makes you think it's going to change when you sign the house over to him.
Speaker 8: I would like a moment to tell you his plans. And his plan is to get alone on his own and refurbish the place and sell it. And you were saying that you have to live in it for two years before there's no tax consequences. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Yes? Two of the past five years. Okay, but Eva, Eva, I didn't say there are no tax consequences. But he gets a pretty sizable exclusion of two hundred and fifty thousand, and most likely he'll fall under that, so he won't pay tax on the game. But Eva, you have to listen to me carefully. He's not going to get a loan on his own to fix up the house if she gave it to him.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it be funny if she quit claimed it to him and then he got a loan on it by getting her to co sign on a new loan.
Speaker 2: That's what That's exactly what's going to happen. That's what I'm trying to let her see. But she is so totally blind she doesn't see it. Eva, what makes you think no? What makes you think no? I want you to answer a question, answer question for me. What makes you think he will qualify for a loan on his own?
Speaker 8: It doesn't matter. I'm not going to co sign for anything, and that's up to him.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's not going to get a loan. So what I'm telling you is this, he's not going to sell it for a profit, and he's going to still leech off of you. You have not changed your life one bit. Do you have tax consequences for deating it over to him? No, you don't. You don't nope, but it's not going to help you. It's not going to do what you want it to do. Now, if you truly want to help him, I can tell you how to do it. You sell your house and give him the money, or get an annuity for him that will pay instantly a monthly check. That's what you do for him. If you give him the house, you are still going to be in a world of hurt. But Eva, I don't expect you to listen to me, because you've never listened to I don't know why you call me, because both your son and his son have been raping and pillaging your estate for as long as I can remember, and you are a total dupe, a total total dupe. In fact, this is one where Mark I think her son took out a giant loan on her house and she's still paying on that. So you're going to be duped the entire rest of your life. Thank you, don't bother asking me for advice anymore because you don't take it. On this transaction. I am telling you to sell the house, get an instant annuity, sign it over to that grandson, deadbeat, so he can have his monthly income to play with. Because that's really then he would really be out of your hair. That's the way to do it. Three zero three seven one three eight two five five Hi Tom Martine here. Jenna's Total Exteriors, by the way, also does mold detection and remediation and it's a company you can trust. Genesistotalexteriors dot com. Steven has a question on titling a car. Hi Steven, what's going on with you?
Speaker 7: A tom So, My sixteen year old nephew is about to buy a two thousand and eight Dodge.
Speaker 6: Ram fifteen hundred, and my sister is inquiring about how to title and ensure the vehicle. She's not sure if they put it in his name their name.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't put you can't. You can't title to a minor, Okay, So that takes it out of there, right, Then.
Speaker 6: Her name her name right? And then how do they set up the insurance?
Speaker 5: What some like?
Speaker 2: Did they well, his.
Speaker 6: Own insurance under their insurance?
Speaker 3: How do they go it's got to be under there, So a minor to get their own insurance for an automobile.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, but she could get a separate policy and name him as the primary driver on that one. And less of a driver on primary That's where you need a good broker to run numbers because there are different ways of doing it. As Mark said, he's never going to hold his own policy, but she could get a car insured with mostly him driving and then less driving on the family cars. Sometimes that works most of the time, it doesn't most of the time. You get a family plan, you ensure the minor drivers in your home under that plan, and then you kind of if they have their own car under that plan, it will bring down the cost a bit. For example, if you only have two cars or one car in the family and everyone's insured, they're going to a lot pretty substantial equal use to each driver. If you have a car like I do, I have a family plan and each of my children have their own cars under that plan, and they're the primary drivers, so they're only rated or they're mostly rated on those cars. So it does keep it down a bit, but you're still going to pay out the nose, right.
Speaker 3: Mark, Well, you're god, You're definitely going to pay out the nose. I mean, the only thing I would disagree with is in that scenario you're giving that woman would have to have two policies and I think no matter what, having a minor, even if he's only going to drive the car occasionally, is still going to be high as hell. And now you have two policies he's on. She could exempt him all together from that one policy. But if that kid ever needs a car and his isn't there and he takes it out, man, she could lose everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, whether or not to have two policies or one. Listen, what I'm saying is and I agree with Mark, and that's why I said the best thing is to have a family plan, but to have cars designated for the kids.
Speaker 6: Yes, everything you guys are saying makes absolutely sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would have you ever called Compass Insurance and have them run the numbers.
Speaker 6: No, and I've directed my sister there to Compass Insurance. I will definitely do that again.
Speaker 2: And yeah, more importantly, they're going to shop.
Speaker 3: They're going to know what companies out of the twenty or thirty companies they shop for you that are easier or cheaper for student drivers or miners.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, that's right. Yes, Now listen what I'm what I'm going to tell you is Compass Insurance with three zero three nine nine six nine. Okay, yep, got it. And and by the way, if it depending on where you have your homeowners if you do your home and your cars through one agency, that's another way you might save money. They'll run the numbers for you. And here's what I like. They're not afraid to tell you, hey, we can't save you money. In fact, there were a few years. There were a few years Mark did not go with Compass because Compass itself said, look, we can't save you any money. And then when it was time, they could save them money. So they're really upfront and honest about that. We got more coming right up, Hi, Tom Martino. You're a troubleshooter. Mark. We've had some pretty damn big cases this hour, this show. I want to bring up Go Cat speed Shop. They're bad news. We got game man, We've got to I will. I'm going to work on that. I'm working on sleeves cread. I really am Eric Brown seven years ago to be rebuilt. He got this engine, he got paid seventy five dollars up front, give me five hundred, seventy five hundred. Yeah, I'm sorry, seventy five hundred up front. Never got anything in return. This consumer will, so stay away from Gokat speed Shop Eric Brown. Eric says, I'm trying to keep customers away from him. Eric, you are one hundred percent right. You are one hundred percent right based on your background and how you've handled this case, yes, and your court records. We are telling people to stay away from Gokat speed Shop. I'm even gonna give you the number so you can let him know the ramifications of his actions. And mister attorney who might be representing him, listen you more on come after me if you want. But you're gonna lose because I am basing this on solid opinion based on research on the Internet, on the court documents, and also live consumer cases who have been ripped off by this scumbag, Eric Brown. So if you want to let Eric Brown know that you know about him, that might help get people paid. That is my goal. Not to be not to be vulgar, not to be violent, not to be stupid, just let them know we know about you. Seven to zero two eight four seventeen ninety seven two zero two eight four seventeen ninety Now the other one, listen to this. It's called Denver Family Dent Repair. Bobby Ward, the scum bag up there. She is a scum sucking pig. Based on what we have found out, she has taken fifty eight hundred dollars and kept it from an insurance company. Nope, never did a thing. She enriched herself, deposited the check August second, twenty twenty four and kept the money. That's Family Dent, Denver Family Dents. And I'm gonna give you the number for Bobby scumbag so you can tell Bobby scumbag that we know about that scumbag. Okay, that's a good way to do it. Nine seven zero he's seven zero eight nine three sixty four sixty one. Nine seven zero eight nine three sixty four sixty one. Okay. We're gonna finish up with Brad O'Brien O'Brien Legal Services, Brad very quickly. When it comes to navigating today's landscape as a landlord, would you say the just cause part of the lease is the most difficult one.
Speaker 4: Because it's a constantly moving target. Tom, I think landlords really have to have an attorney.
Speaker 2: That's what I believe in all times olslaw dot com. He can do it for you. Seven to zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight. That's olslaw dot com and remember three oh three Martino. Follow Tom Martino at Real Tom Martino and stay connected with all all of us at six thirty k kayhow dot com and on the iHeartRadio app. This is Denver's talk station, six thirty k House