Speaker 1: Mac. I have news. I have amazing news in my life. Maybe the best news that I've received when was my kid born four ish years ago? Best news since then? Okay, a barber shop has opened in my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh well, here's the thing. Yeah, you know, if anyone that's been following the podcast for a couple of years, now, you get a little bit of a run in with your barber, longtime barber, and I suggested going elsewhere, and you thought that was blasphemous.
Speaker 1: I did. But also they charge way too much money now, and the barber shop that's in my neighborhood thirty dollars for a haircut.
Speaker 2: For a regular regular Yeah, wow, what's it like? Fifteen bucks for a buzz cut?
Speaker 1: There? Get this even better? What a kid's haircut? Are you sitting down? I have sat down? Fifteen dollars? Wow.
Speaker 2: So they're trying to get the people in there. That's smart, smart business.
Speaker 1: And I have no idea if they're any good. Well my hair, they did cut my hair. I look amazing. If you're listening on the podcast right now, I look fantastic right now.
Speaker 2: What do you get on the side, is that a low taper mid taper. What do they call that?
Speaker 1: I used to say a fatal one up, let's go hide and tight. But for a kid's haircut to be fifteen dollars, it could be the worst haircut in the world. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost. It's there's like a novelty to kids having bad haircuts, so it almost doesn't matter, like until he starts taking school pictures. And even then they're funny to look at years years in the past.
Speaker 1: Because my other barber, four kids, forty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, there's not a lot of hair. It's I mean, when they're young, I guess you gotta hair. But that's fine, no smaller heads.
Speaker 1: My kid's got a fucking melon for a haf he doesn't have a melon on him.
Speaker 2: I guess when they're younger, you gotta keep them distracted and seated. So maybe the bit of an up charge hair but in Raffi's range now, like, what's a haircut? Take ten minutes and they're gonna charge your forty five bucks.
Speaker 1: Now. Here's the problem, though, is that they've been open for a week. My new barber, Yeah, I have claimed them. They are my barber. Okay, they've been opened for one week, and every time that I have driven by the barber shop, which is roughly four times a day, there's never anyone in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Brittain New.
Speaker 1: I am deathly afraid right now that they are gonna close shop.
Speaker 2: No, I think you'll be all right.
Speaker 1: So lay it on me. Economics one on one.
Speaker 2: Hit me as a baldman. I don't frequent barbershops that often, but every once in a while I get lazy and I like the you know, the hot shape treatment, so I'll go. So there's a place I go down the block from the firehouse I work at. And when they first started, it was three barbers in that shop, a smaller shop, and it wasn't that packed. Now two three years later, you like, you can't even you almost can't even walk in. You have to make an appointment because they're so busy.
Speaker 1: I just need them to survive. I can't go back being able to walk to my barber shop, and the hours are great. Being able to walk to my barber shop. It's fucking liberating. How early do they open nine o'clock?
Speaker 2: Okay, so that that seems to be like the regular of these days, there is a barber shop in the Lake in Newton that opens at seven, I believe, so you can get a pre work herecut that's a real old school one.
Speaker 1: But they also close at eight, so it's a real long day. It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I uh, I love a neighborhood barbershop.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 2: It's it's uh, you almost feel like you've gone back thirty years when you when you enter a barbershop, even when it's got new technology. Just like the aura and the vibe in there is like a throwback.
Speaker 1: One good. Three Yeah, just three. King of Queen Mall Street, Enter Goo and I'm a man And this is the Mac and Goo program. We bring you wet Friendship.
Speaker 2: We're getting real moist today.
Speaker 1: Boys.
Speaker 2: Today we are talking about one of my favorite movies of my childhood, water World.
Speaker 1: Water World.
Speaker 2: I still no spoiler here, peak behind the curtain for what's to come. I still enjoy this movie to what degree we could talk about, but I still enjoy this.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I think.
Speaker 2: If you have yet to watch this movie, it is streaming for free on the.
Speaker 1: Cock because water streams down a river.
Speaker 2: If you have a Peacock subscription, you can watch this for free. Otherwise I don't know how to watch it, but it's free on there. Goo. Yes, water World is an R rated action adventure in sci fi. And I'll tell you there's some more stuff here on IMDb. For some reason, the IMDb app lists every possible tag on it, whereas the website will just give like the top three.
Speaker 1: Generally.
Speaker 2: This is also listed goo as an adventure, epic, dystopian sci fi, a quest, a nice quest, a sea adventure.
Speaker 1: I like that. That's that's not a genre. That's not a genre.
Speaker 2: It's this in the Pirates movie see adventures, and then also steampunk, which I suppose we will.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, but I bet that if you ask Kevin Costner and then.
Speaker 2: Who's the director, Kevin Reynolds.
Speaker 1: I bet if you asked them what the genre was, they would say, fuck you see adventure. No, they would just say mind your own business, watch the movie and shut up.
Speaker 2: This movie has a run time of one hundred and thirty five minutes two hours and fifteen minutes, and in that respect, it's about thirty minutes too long.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you which version did you watch? Because there are technically three versions. There was the one that aired on television on ABC. That was actually too long to air in one night, so they cut it in half and did it as a two night adventure, if you will. They cut out some of the adult content, but they added in seventeen minutes of dialogue.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So there there are a couple like low moments of this movie where it does get a little boring. But the swashbuckling fun is great, and I wish there was almost more of that. You get a decent amount of it, but I would say if you got this to just under two hours, like an hour fifty hour fifty five, it would have been much better.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the mix of the television and theatrical version, which is called the Ulysses Cut.
Speaker 2: I watched whatever a Peacock offered to me, so.
Speaker 1: Roughly three hours long. The Ulysses cut is three hours long. Roughly.
Speaker 2: I like that Ulysses. Yeah, okay, all right, I.
Speaker 1: Never watched that. I believe you saw the theater version.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's that makes sense. That's that's probably the version I saw.
Speaker 1: Goo.
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of theaters, this hit theaters July twenty eighth, nineteen ninety five. You and I were six years old. Actually, this supplanted Apollo thirteen in the theaters that weekend was number one at the box office for like a month straight. I actually watched Apaul thirteen in the theaters, one of the early movies I remember seeing in the theaters off of an initial budget of one hundred million, which then ballooned to one seventy two by the end of shooting. Yes, and then if you include marketing, we get up to two hundred and thirty five million dollars to make and market this movie. It only made eighty eight million dollars at the US box office. That obviously is an incredible flop. It did make its money back worldwide, though it cumulative worldwide up to two sixty four But again, you know, theaters and studio split profits, so they probably lost a decent amount of money.
Speaker 1: And that it is profitable too off of its cable television airings too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on cable TV for a good fifteen.
Speaker 1: Also, sorry, and we're gonna jump on each other this entire podcast. But the original budget for this movie was supposed to be twenty million dollars one hundred No, No, the original original budget was twenty million, and then as I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how they thought they were going to make a movie set in the ocean for twenty million.
Speaker 1: So it then jumped to sixty five. But then Kevin Costner wanted to add some more real and that's when it jumped to one hundred. Then around day ninety six it ballooned to one fifty seven, was then at one thirty five, balloon to the one seventy five. Okay, all right, there you go.
Speaker 2: It's a nice fun fact for Yeah, dude, let me let me see if you can guess the other films that were in the box office that weekend other than this and Apalla thirteen round out the top five.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety five. What is the release date?
Speaker 2: July twenty eighth.
Speaker 1: July twenty eighth. I No, Toy Story wasn't until November, so that wouldn't be the case. Lion King was ninety four was Pocahontas in the theaters?
Speaker 2: No? No, so the the other three. First was this, Second was a movie called The Net starring Sandra Bullock, which was I think an internet spy for I've never seen it. That fell off pretty quickly. That didn't do well. Third was Appall thirteen. Fourth was Clueless.
Speaker 1: Oh, Clueless, God speed Alicia Silverstone. By the way, apparently she ate some poison berries.
Speaker 2: Another one that I like, probably more than most. And then rounding out the top five was the Hugh Grant rom com nine Months You Grant, Oh.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. So the other day at work, of course, when Alicia Silverstone did eat the poison berries, there were some coworkers, some younger co workers, who didn't know who she was. And then I explained that mid to late nineties one of the biggest movie stars in the world, and then an older coworker said, that doesn't sound true. Where do you fall on this?
Speaker 2: She was in two gigantic movies, yes, and she had the Clueless television show.
Speaker 1: She wasn't in that, but go ahead, she wasn't in there. Now, who's played share in the television show? How would I know that? Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure she was in the show. She was not, but go ahead, fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: She also was in that Aerosmith video, which obviously everyone references all the time. So she was pretty a popular but I wouldn't say she was a list. She was probably be list.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, so you're you're siding more with my older co worker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would. I wouldn't. I wouldn't call her a megastar, but she I you know, she was missing, she was missing that legitimizing role. So obviously Cluis made her a star. Blast from the Past Batman and Robin kind of took her back down.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was the success.
Speaker 2: I think she would have vaulted to a but obviously that that didn't work.
Speaker 1: Last from the Past good Yes.
Speaker 2: On Roddy T's this movie has forty seven percent from the critics, forty three percent from the audience audience, And honestly, that's not as bad as as it's made out to be. When you hear people talk about water World, you would think that critics gave it ten percent, audience gave it twenty.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's just comparing it to how much it costs to make. That's that's what I say.
Speaker 2: It's it's for sure all relative because this even removing some bias, I don't think it's a bad movie.
Speaker 1: I think at that fifty percent, I get it. That's kind of that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand that. And on on Metacritic, it's a fifty six, so critics didn't hate this movie. It's just obviously was disappointing for what it may have promised her what it was potentially going to be. This movie's written by Peter Raider, who you would never know before you didn't know afterwards, as well as David Toohey. David Twohy wrote The Fugitive g I Jane pitched Black the Chronicles of Ritick and Rittick, so obviously carried that franchise.
Speaker 1: When it comes to writing this movie. The original script was written in nineteen eighty six and was inspired I put that in quotes by Mad Max. It was then finished in nineteen eighty nine, and on the set they had Joss Whedon doing rewrites.
Speaker 2: I like that, Look at you. You really did do your research.
Speaker 1: I told you ahead of time for a single movie review. This is the most research I have done in a very very long time.
Speaker 2: And it is clear how much of Mad Max is an inspiration into this, and.
Speaker 1: That how much they ripped off from Mad Max eighty six.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you know it's more fun than sand and dust, water and waves.
Speaker 1: Go, oh, that's a Paul right there. What are you far sand and dust or water in waves? Because I think if you ask the characters in this movie, they would say sand and dust because that is their currency.
Speaker 2: Oh look at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I paid at during the movie as well. I paid attention during the movie.
Speaker 2: David two. He's still working as skuffour upcoming projects, so if you liked water World, look out for those. This movie is directed by the f fourmentioned Kevin Reynolds. Uh. He actually directed Costner twice before this and Fandango and Robin Hood Prince Prince of Thieves.
Speaker 1: Yes, and because of those movies, he was handpicked by Costner. Do you know who Universal wanted for this movie?
Speaker 2: I don't lay it on me.
Speaker 1: Robert Zamechis.
Speaker 2: Oh and you know who said no, Roberts Kevin Costner.
Speaker 1: He said, I'm not working with that guy.
Speaker 2: Really. Yep, this would be coming off the heels of Forrest Gump.
Speaker 1: Too, or yeah, right after the Heels of Forest Gump. Why he's at his.
Speaker 2: Honest, that's that's that's wild. Although Costner notoriously a massive fucking dick. And speaking of that, Kevin Reynolds actually left this movie before it was finished. It was all shot, but they were editing and producing it and Kevin Reynolds left the movie because him and Kevin Costner had such a large disagreement.
Speaker 1: Costner would have walked off this project if Reynolds was not the director.
Speaker 2: Okay, to start, you have to imagine what took place for them for it to cause such a rift between the two, Mac.
Speaker 1: Do you know what critics called this movie when it was being released? Swashbuckling fun Pundits called it fish Tar and Kevin's Gate. Okay, all right, those are parodies off of other movies that had production issues.
Speaker 2: A nice end to the Costner Reynolds story, though. He came back in twenty twelve and directed Costner in the twenty twelve mini series Halfield's and McCoy's. So they're friends again. So that's nice friendship. We always like to see friendship.
Speaker 1: Okay, so once again, this movie was the most expensive movie of all time at the time of its release, at roughly one seventy five MAC. I'm gonna list you some other popular movies, other popular big budget blockbusters at that time. Can you guess the production budget of these movies? Okay? Twister, Twister, I.
Speaker 2: Bet was expensive. A lot of CGI in that I'm gonna say. Twister was like one hundred and twenty million ninety two.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, how about T two Terminator two T that was nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Robert Patrick effects were probably expensive, but it was a few years prior, so it's gonna be cheaper.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say eighty million, one hundred million. Oh, all right, Independence Day.
Speaker 2: It depends once Day had to have been expensive. I'll go to one twenty seventy five million. Wow, that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Men in Black, Here come the Men in Black. They paid all their money just for that song, just for that.
Speaker 2: Saleh one oh four on Men in.
Speaker 1: Black ninety million, oh wow. And then finally, the cost of Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: If Terminator was let's go ninety seven million.
Speaker 1: Sixty three million dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow. So basically, this was three times more expensive than Jurassic Park and double as expensive as everything else.
Speaker 1: And don't get me wrong, some of this movie looks incredible.
Speaker 2: The whole thing surrounding that floating sea city is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But also with the floating sea city with all of their boats being on open water. Speaking of Jurassic Park, Steven Spielberg, who had some experience working on water, told Universal told the director told everyone don't work on open water. They didn't listen to them, and hurricane season came and took out some of their equipment.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I don't know. They've been building sound stages for one hundred years. I don't know if the technology was good enough to build a massive water stage with a big bluers.
Speaker 1: I can get to that in a second, Okay.
Speaker 2: Because that obviously would have would have cut down on a ton of costs.
Speaker 1: Yep. So Spielberg said, you're just gonna need a couple shots on the water, use the second unit for that. Do all of your coverage in a tank or on a stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes one hundred percent sense.
Speaker 1: And then, of course hurricane season came and they built a one thousand ton floating island off the coast of Hawaii that was a quarter mile wide and used all of the steel in Hawaii. Now, because there was only so many people there to work, local contractors took full advantage of being the only game in town and upped all their prices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely several people got hurt during the shooting of this movie. Kevin Costner's stunt double almost died of embolism and uh, Tina, measurino, measurino.
Speaker 2: That's the little girl.
Speaker 1: The little girl. She was stung by jellyfish repeatedly. That's not funny, mac.
Speaker 2: How often was she in the water? She kept getting stung?
Speaker 1: Well, she was tossed in the water by in that scene when she couldn't swim by the way, she should have drowned in that scene. Right, she can't swim me, she's tossing to open water.
Speaker 2: She's all right, you'd be all right for a few seconds anyways.
Speaker 1: Go yes.
Speaker 2: It's anopsis of water world in a future where the polar ice caps have melted and Earth is almost entirely submerged. A mutated mariner fights starvation and outlaw smokers and reluctantly helps a woman and a young girl try to find dry land.
Speaker 1: The smokers are so over sold even than in that minor synopsis. The smokers suck.
Speaker 2: But they only suck against competent people. They dominated it.
Speaker 1: How many people are actually here? Also, I'm gonna toss this out here. Costner not a people. Costner is a frog in this movie.
Speaker 2: He's a mutant.
Speaker 1: He's an amphibian.
Speaker 2: That's part of the reason why I love the movies a superhero.
Speaker 1: I also cannot stand the fact that everyone keeps on referring to him as being like a fish boy or a fish man. He's an amphibian, He's a frog. He's able to both breathe oxygen and water. That makes him a frog or a toad.
Speaker 2: Well, little spoilerer here for how gills work. They're actually getting oxygen out of the water.
Speaker 1: You're not breathing water, right, But that's what frogs do.
Speaker 2: Frogs breathe water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that's true. Learn about frogs and tatapoles, that's true. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do like the Dennis Hopper calls him guppy in this That's that's a nice little fish reference there.
Speaker 1: He should have called him a tadpole.
Speaker 2: This movie stars Kevin Costner as the Mariner no name, I never given a name.
Speaker 1: He is what a boring lead character?
Speaker 2: He is pretty one note, that's for sure. And I hate Kevin Costner and still like this movie.
Speaker 1: Did you know that Kevin Costner stayed in an eighteen hundred dollars a day ocean front villa with a pool and butler while shooting this movie. This was all happening during a divorce with his wife, where he lost an eighty million dollar settlement and his trainer was arrested for having illegal steroids during the shooting of This.
Speaker 2: Movie also stars Dennis operas Deacon Always. Denis Opera is Always a great villain. He's great in this movie.
Speaker 1: Let me say this, I think he might be having the most fun that anyone has ever had on a movie during this movie. He has a blast. My issue with it is that he is so non threatening as the bad guy that it really takes you out of it.
Speaker 2: No, because you can tell that he's like just somehow almost happenstance ended up in power. But he he himself isn't very intimidating. He's got his you know, Bulkan skull to his left and right, the big blonde guy who's decent.
Speaker 1: But he's Bulkan skull mixed into one. Anyways, you can't have twenty Balkan skulls.
Speaker 2: You have Geene Triplehorn. Gu here as Helen, who I think I spent maybe I don't know the first five years after watching this movie thinking that she was a Nola's mother A Noola played by Tina Majorino, No and not. She just sort of takes care of her because they ended up at that floating city. And another note here, one of the last casting note, you don't really need to know anyone else besides the tall blonde.
Speaker 1: Guy, Jack Black.
Speaker 2: Jack Black plays one of the smokers in this movie.
Speaker 1: Was So, was he in the movie or was he cut out of the movie?
Speaker 2: No, he's in it.
Speaker 1: What his line was cut out of the movie? Right?
Speaker 2: Possibly? I don't know about that, but he's definitely in the movie.
Speaker 1: Back to the leading lady. There wasn't it odd that when a Nola was kidnapped their initial reaction was to bang like they had sex almost immediately after she was kidnapped. Spoiler alert, Sorry, oh this is all spoilers. The movie came out fucking one hundred years ago. But I mean you kind of understand. You're like, oh, we finally have a second to ourselves. Let's get naked. But I have a note here.
Speaker 2: Gou her daughter for lack of a better term, is gone and they're gonna die, so they said time to fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, did I miss it? Did she have like a line in the movie of like, hey, I know that you have gills and you're a mutant. What are you working with down stairs. No, I don't think that was uttered. I someone should have asked, because that is a question that you should ask. Also, so I'm sorry to Jumper once again, but yeah, yeah, why is he the only mutant in the movie? Also, did you do the research of how many years has it been since the ice caps have melted?
Speaker 2: So that's I didn't. I don't know if it's ever been said. But so a couple things here, And this is for the folks at home that maybe I haven't watched a movie and are trying to better understand water World. Yes, essentially, if the synopsis wasn't good enough, Essentially, this is a world where water covers ninety nine percent of the planet. Everyone has heard about this mythical dry land, but no one knows where it is. No one's really seen it except for you know, a few here and there. There's no real way to find it. There's no technology. You just have hand maps that are probably a thousand.
Speaker 1: Or tattooed maps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Kevin Cosser's character has a mutation where he has gills behind his ears, which leads you to believe they've got to be like at least a thousand years into this ridal world for mutation to happen. Yeah, right, So there's no set timeframe, but I'm guessing at least a thousand years, if not a couple thousands.
Speaker 1: He also has web toes like a fucking frog.
Speaker 2: Right, come on, go with the frog.
Speaker 1: Frog?
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't have a long tongue. Wouldn't call him a frog?
Speaker 1: I also would in the mind. So he had the sex scene with the lady, but also like a sex scene with a frog. Like he finds both attractive because he's both.
Speaker 2: Uh. The villains in this movie are the aforementioned Smokers, led by Dennis Hopper, who will do anything to find this mythical dry land, and they basically raid all these floating cities and boats and they just come to discover that this little girl on Nola has this tattooed map on her back, and that she becomes the focus of everyone's interest in this movie. On Coster's character, the Mariner, he basically hates everyone. He fends for himself, floats in the sea for days and days, occasionally comes into comes past other drifters, and the only real change he makes in this is you don't really see it visually, but he just starts caring for the little girl, and part of it maybe is because Helen fucked him.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I have no idea. It's too much like it's the hardened leading male character, much like Alan Grant, say in Jurassic Park, who just does not give a shit about these kids. But then by the end he his heart grows three size is too big, and he realizes the wrong of his ways.
Speaker 2: It's a tale as old as time, a beauty and the beast, a woman and a kid, humanizing this fucking overly masculine male.
Speaker 1: But Jesus man, he is so abusive. I get it's been a thousand years, but did your manners melt with the ice caps?
Speaker 2: Well, he's fucking flowing. He's gonna the fucking open of the movie. The man sales has goddamn limes. She's gonna fend for himself every day.
Speaker 1: He is physically abusive. He is emotionally abusive. He cuts their hair with a knife, which is like, I appreciate a cheap haircut, but that's too much.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you didn't get the setting appropriate at the beginning. But he's got to pee into a cup to drink his Morning Water.
Speaker 1: The first ten minutes of this movie is fucking breakneck speed of like this is what this movie is strap in because you have two more hours of it. The issue is that the next two hours slows down at points way too much.
Speaker 2: There's a couple times I wouldn't say way too much. There's definitely enough action in there. I do like how it's like Mad Max inspired. But you have like an Indiana Jones esque soundtrack to the movie, and like soundscape.
Speaker 1: I hate the soundtrack to this movie. I hate the score to this movie. It is love all over the place. It is ripping off John Williams. It is ripping off what's his name? Who does like the Burton movies? Why am I blanking on his name? But it like it has like that big like Burton orchestral type of sound to it too, sounds like Jones. But it also like has like a far East sound to it. At points it has like an well, it has an indigenous people sound to it. At points it doesn't know what it wants to be.
Speaker 2: No, and it invokes all the right emotions at certain points.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how to feel at any point of this movie. And then you have that like soft soundtrack in the background, and everyone in this movie, much like everyone in this podcast, just yells all of their lines.
Speaker 2: Do you want to get to the gauntlet.
Speaker 1: In a second? I think My favorite rumor about this movie that had to do with a lot of spending is that Kevin Costner demanded that the special effects development team add computer generated hair to his balding head.
Speaker 2: They couldn't just wear extensions.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't even understand that, which is something that Mac asked me to do before every one of these podcasts.
Speaker 2: How do you even do you even see like the back of his head often in this movie?
Speaker 1: I don't even understand that he has like thin, stringy hair, but then he has the definitely thinner front hair.
Speaker 2: He is an all time dickhead. Is there anyone in Hollywood that likes him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what are we talking about right now. I'm so lost. I fell asleep multiple times watching this movie. This took me three times to sit through.
Speaker 2: It's a real warrior effort out of you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, much like the Mariner. All right, let's get to the nonagon. I guess fun factor. Mac and I do think that this is a pretty fun movie. It doesn't waste any time. At the beginning, the polarized caps have melted, the world is water. Costner drinks his own pea and then he does a cool summersault. The action and the stunts in this movie, although by the end, kind of feel a little samesy and it feels like a park attraction. They're really cool. They're really fun. They look cool. I actually did after watching the movie, I watched the twenty minute stage show too. Oh did you really Yeah, which is pretty fucking awesome. Yeah, And Dennis Hopper is just fun.
Speaker 2: Dennis Opper's great. Yeah, oh my turn?
Speaker 1: Yes, do you want to talk in this podcast?
Speaker 2: I think this movie, especially framing it through maybe my eight year old mind. I was probably eight the first time I saw this. Just like a world of water inherently is fun to me, as opposed to a world of sand and dirt in that sort of the mad Max level. The action is super fun. Jets Key's jumping over shit, going under stuff. Yeah, you know, somehow a plane's involved. They don't ever really explain involved. There's no where do they get the gasoline. Don't overthink it whatever, They just maybe use water in the future.
Speaker 1: It's the future. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: It's all the boat stuff. I like, like him sliding up and down with the sales when he still pops out. It just is like they definitely tried their best to as much practical effects as they can, and I think that shows and helps a lot of this movie. It just like it is definitely missing, like a big action set piece towards the end. You have the big moment in the towards the end of the first act with the floating city, and then when he sneaks out of the boat towards the end, Like it's decent.
Speaker 1: But still like that. Do you like the killer Batman fucking scene where the girl is like narrating everything.
Speaker 2: If they had had a second tent pole action scene right there the third act, I think this movie would be way better because you're always thinking back to that first like assault on the city where they escape, and that's the best part of the movie.
Speaker 1: Al Right, Borometer, we'll jump to this one really quick. Is I mentioned that Dennis Hopper is very very fun. I think the smokers and Hopper as an actual villain is kind of boring, and I think that kind of gives it a little flimsy feel to it.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, I don't agree. I think he's awesome. The boar armor definitely ticks here. When you're like, have the adults talk to the little girl like that, You're like, all right, I get it, she's like trying to be wisecracking, But I also feel like, you know, when you're out in the open ocean, there's a lot of downtime, So I feel like they tried to show that a little bit you fucking left to your own devices, and that is inherently boring, but it's accurate.
Speaker 1: And then also like, if you compare Costner to like the other stoic masculine heroes that we've gotten in the past, he's definitely close to the bottom of the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a better lead and a second tent pole action scene would have made this movie maybe not great, but it would have maybe been in like the sixties or seventies on Roddy T's instead of the forties, because it's not that far off from being a pretty good movie.
Speaker 1: Satisfactor Mac. They reveal roughly twenty minutes into the movie that Costner is a mermaid my man, and you know he's able to live under the sea if he so chooses. So, first off, where are the other mutants? Because the land that buys the dirt off him, they know of other mutants, so they've encountered other mutants. You're kind of waiting for You're waiting for more mutants. As this movie goes on, you never get any. And then I think what they should have done and this is completely we're thirty years removed from this movie. Is maybe revealed that he has gills like an hour into the movie, two hours into the movie, and that's how he is able to then save people? Because you throw this out there so early, are they just trying to like adjust people be like, hey, by the way, he has gills.
Speaker 2: First of all, I think it's pretty clear where all the other guild people are. The minute they found out the regular people found out he had gills, they tried to kill him. So all these, all of them.
Speaker 1: They tried to kill him by drowning him. Do they know how gills work?
Speaker 2: In like mud?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: That works? The first and the.
Speaker 1: First thing the guy did was try to have a knife fight with him in the fucking water. He has gills. How do you expect to win that fight?
Speaker 2: You're gonna lose every time. Yes, I could beat a wolf, I couldn't beat the mariner. Tell you that I think that, And maybe this differs between you and I. Him having gills in near like superhuman abilities make that fun and satisfying. Like I, you're almost watching a sudo, a pseudo like anti villain.
Speaker 1: He is supposed to be in Everyman every man.
Speaker 2: That's why he's a great fighter as well.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred him being a regular person.
Speaker 2: No, I like I like that he's basically Aquaman.
Speaker 1: Also, if he had a couple regular people emotions, that would.
Speaker 2: Have actually is being able to summon fish.
Speaker 1: That would have made this so you just would have wonted Aquaman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a better version of Aquaman.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the equator. Then Aquaman's better. No, this is better. No, this is Aquaman has a charismatic lead character. No, this is better. This has a better villain.
Speaker 2: That's a better story too.
Speaker 1: This one shows all but you get nudity.
Speaker 2: A better story and a better villain.
Speaker 1: Brief nudity, but is brief nudity is nudity, which is.
Speaker 2: Like if you're gonna have an R rated movie.
Speaker 1: PG. Thirteen. By the way, I thought it was PG. I thought it looked it up. I saw PG thirteen. I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I saw PG thirteen right, I put PG. I put R rated just assuming it was. You're right, though, there's not really any swears and there's no real blood either, so yeah, you're right, it probably is PG thirteen. It would have been better as.
Speaker 1: An are Yeah. I think this movie sinks, like the little girl who should have sunk to the bottom of the ocean when she was thrown into the water by the mariner.
Speaker 2: No, this movie is a fun summer blockbuster that should have and could have been better, But in my mind it's still rather enjoyable thirty years later.
Speaker 1: I think there are parts of this movie that are rather enjoyable, but there are other parts that, like I am, I was just exhausted watching this.
Speaker 2: What part? What part of Aquaman is rather enjoyable?
Speaker 1: The submarine scene, Permission to come aboard Redheads?
Speaker 2: It says more enjoyable scenes and action than Aquaman.
Speaker 1: Does I disagree? Third, No, I was gonna say I might have the same score, so let's just not okay. Halloween has our interest in this movie waned over time, and I think I have more appreciation for the movie because there it does look really really good at points, and the action is really cool at points. A lot of stuff doesn't look like this anymore. And also just everything that has to do with the budget and the background and the turmoil of this movie. It's very intriguing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a movie that I've watched. If you had to list like the top twenty movies you've seen most in your life, this is pretty close for me. I've seen this movie so many times, so it's hard for me to say it's it's waned over time. And also, like the whole we've talked about it a couple times before. Part of the reason we're doing this is me telling the story about how I found out Water Road wasn't well received, you know, in ninety seven, probably when I started watching it on cable television when I was eight years old. It became a movie I enjoyed very much. But when you're eight years old, you really talk to other people about movies. It's just not a conversation you have. And then when I got to college when I was eighteen years old, ten years later, two thousand and seven, one of my friend's future roommates, I don't remember how it came up, But he was the first person to let me know that water World was not well received, and then of course I do a googs find all that stuff. I don't even know if Rotten Tomatoes existed in two thousand and seven, it might have been right around there. So there was no It was really hard to tell how things were received other than the box office, right, you just saw how much things were made. But I wasn't into metacritic. I wasn't into Roddy Tea's. I don't think cinema score was a thing like today that it's so apparent before the movie even hits theaters how people are going to react to movies, where in nineteen ninety five that wasn't a thing. You needed to see how it performed at the box office.
Speaker 1: Oh, let me ask you this, because you were a huge fan of this movie. You were six at the time, and then you watched it up through however old you were. Merch wise, did you buy any of the toy line?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I had any of the toys. Thinking back to it, I don't remember it. Anyways, I probably did, but I don't remember playing with the Mariner or any of the sets in here.
Speaker 1: Well, the toys were actually repainted. Robin Hood, Prince of Thieve modes.
Speaker 2: Makes sense both costner.
Speaker 1: Did you have the SNES game?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did not. That makes sense. I think it was only released in Europe.
Speaker 2: I did not have the SNS.
Speaker 1: Did you have the PC game?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I did not. Did you have the Virtual Boy game? No? I didn't have a Virtual Boy. Did you know that the Virtual Boy game was voted the worst game on the system, and that is for the system, that is the worst of all time.
Speaker 2: Was it a side scroller?
Speaker 1: No, it was like a three D print where you're inside of the water world, but it's only red. That's all they could do with the Virtual Boy. Did you have any of the comics that came out two years after the movie? No.
Speaker 2: What they tried to save the movie with a future comic line.
Speaker 1: They said, some people like this movie, let's try Star.
Speaker 2: Wars esque and you know, actually it's funny. And the the title slide at the opening of the movie gives you some Avatar vibes as well. There's a little bit of that.
Speaker 1: The music, the like the Indigenous people music, I would say, is like it has a very similar avatar feel so.
Speaker 2: James Cameron ripped off water World?
Speaker 1: Was it South Park? Did South Park say that the first avatar was Smurfs? With water World?
Speaker 2: That's pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: Okay, Plemons. When life gives you Plemens, you make plemonade. And the only singular character that I was like, Okay, this guy's enjoying himself, that would be Dennis Hopper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's clearly Dennis Opper. Ever seen Dennis Hopper in is is a treat. He's really really having his fun here. I just think, you know, we talked about it a little bit in the past when we did Best Villains, right, and we talked about Dennis Hopper in the nineties. Yeah, he is one of the greatest villain actors we've ever seen. He's really really good at being a son of a bitch. You know, you'd Speed, what was the other one in the nineties that he was in as well, Mario. Yeah, he's just great at being the son of a bitch. But I liked especially in this, Like in Speed, he's truly terrifying.
Speaker 1: He's gonna speed.
Speaker 2: In this You're like, oh, he's kind of a weasel. He's one of those weasel type bad guys which I liked.
Speaker 1: Like when we did our nineteen nineties Best Villains of the Decade, this character was not on there.
Speaker 2: I think I honorably mentioned him.
Speaker 1: I believe Max credit Union. I think the credit should go to Steven Spielberg for knowing this was gonna cost too much money.
Speaker 2: I got. I credit Universal, who I believe was a studio.
Speaker 1: Who Kevin Costner, we know that you want to make this movie, take more of our money.
Speaker 2: I credit them for having the ambition to try to take on this project. I think ten years later it would have been a lot easier to make this movie. And I think that's why the script waited for nine years in the first place, because technology wasn't going to be possible to make this movie. However, though it is so perfect that it came out in the middle in the nineties. This is such a st this nineties movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that if we ever did and we should do something like this, like most like specific to a decade, like movies that are very specific to a decade, this would be in there, and this would be like top ten.
Speaker 2: Like this just reeks of mid nineties and it perfectly fits in ninety.
Speaker 1: Fo like Breakfast Club, Reeks eighties, Yeah, This Reeks nineties, Yes, Pants, ten City, Excite, bike Mania. What got you going in this movie?
Speaker 2: I think it's easily that siege of the smokers on that floating city and the escape and the fighting and that like twenty minute scene is fucking great. It's awesome, and they essentially built that attraction in Universal Studios based off of that one scene, so clearly most people felt that way.
Speaker 1: For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goo party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating scale, and Mac, I think for the most part, this movie looks incredible, and you know there there are some points. It's the green screen, or maybe there's some CGI that's kind of meh, like Hopper on the rope at the end that doesn't look great, or the bungee cord saved by Costner of anytime they.
Speaker 2: Get airborne or floating it with the floating guy, it looks wonky.
Speaker 1: The stunts are pretty dope in this But for as much fun as I had watching this movie, sporadically, this movie was so exhausting, Like even after a fun stunt filled scene, I had to turn it off for a little while. I couldn't keep going. I needed a little break. Costner's Mariner is just boring and paper thin. It's another leading male character that doesn't want to deal with the child. He's a hardened dude, but then you know by the end is hard he has to save them and we get that. I didn't necessarily love that killer Batman scene at the end. I keep on calling it that. It's him going through the compound killing people one by one trying to get the girl back.
Speaker 2: Although the first kill when he rides the jet ski into the guy up the rap, is fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty cool, But I don't know. This is such This is such a weird watch because I like what they were going for. I like a lot, not a lot. I like some of what's in this movie. Some of it is wildly boring. I don't really love besides some of hawper any of the characters. Twenty two hot dogs.
Speaker 2: That's a fair assessment. And obviously with the rutted tee scores, I think people feel similar to you more so than me. I'm not way higher than you. Well we'll see.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, it turns out I have the same score as you.
Speaker 2: To me, this is missing you change the leading man. You have a second great action scene in the third act, and you're like right in that thirty two to thirty three dog range. But because Coster stinks and they are missing that second like because the high of the movie comes what forty minutes in, and then you have a whole hour and a half left where it never gets that.
Speaker 1: Even their first action scene of the smokers attacking that compound, for the most part, you're saying, this is nonsense. Everyone is just yelling at each other.
Speaker 2: I mean, so that's like what Mad Max is really in the Mad Max movies are there's a lot of that nonsense. They just never got back to that. They had it here and there, more isolated stuff, but another big set piece like that would have been great, might have cost him another fifty million dollars, So maybe that's why they didn't do it. But it's definitely missing that, and I think, you know, because it's missing that second set and because Coster fucking stinks. I have this at like twenty seven hot dogs. It is again so close to being I think baseline good. It's probably not a good movie, but because I've seen it so many times and I have those early feelings, I would call it good. Twenty seven's right on that line. But like a lot of movies I give twenty seven are disappointing or boring, and this has some of that. It's just what brings it up to twenty seven, probably from twenty four, which I have the equator at is the swashbuckling fun is.
Speaker 1: The second is swashbuckling. I haven't said the word swashbuckling enough in this podcast. It is swashbuckling, just the idea of it.
Speaker 2: And again i'd like the little mini superhero power stuff like I like that shit. So I have fond memories of this. That's probably elevating it. Two three, four five Dogs and that's why I'm at twenty seven.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned the idea of it. I think this movie is ripe for a remake or a sequel, a legacy sequel.
Speaker 2: Speaking of movies that have done well that are not too far away from them, the two Mad Max movies that have come out in the last four or five years have done obviously very well, and then Avatar twice now has blown people's dicks off, and this is in the same vein. It hasn't been of the same quality, but it's in the same vein. You could make another movie set in water World and it could work.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for this? And I know that everyone always gives every animated character to Chris Pratt or you know, but fan casting, I think it's pretty simple. Yeah, give this project to Glenn Powell and let's just move on.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking.
Speaker 1: Now I'm cooking.
Speaker 2: That's gonna that's this new thing. He's gonna be making requels to nineties movies that are probably better remembered than they actually were.
Speaker 1: And like, you can't give it to Hemsworth here, because like Dementis is almost a better version of what Happer is in this movie. Yeah yeah, but like someone along those lines of someone that's big and just looking to have some fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. Yeah, I'll tell you Hemsworth's character in Furiosa you could have put right into this movie and what it worked.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then I'm also I'm not gonna fan cast everybody. Can you give me a lady that you would like as.
Speaker 2: The for Triple Horn to see nude?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Dua lipa? Okay, So there is our water World because.
Speaker 2: You claim she can't act. She's been in two six estful movies. But she doesn't really need to act in this role.
Speaker 1: She just exists. Okay, so we want Glenn Powell as the new Mariner. We want dua lipa.
Speaker 2: And has that tan skin, so you're like shower a keyster. That'll work.
Speaker 1: We want we want Chris Hamsworth to play Dementus in this movie.
Speaker 2: Same character.
Speaker 1: And then we want the kid to be Cgi. No, don't even get any kid. Don't even get an up and coming kid. No, don't even get a real kay, just Cgi the kid. That's how you solve the acting problem.
Speaker 2: That's Glenn Pole, duly Chris Emsworth.
Speaker 1: That's success right there. No, but it's Chris Hamsworth as Dementius. That's it. Yeah. Do you have any more notes on this movie?
Speaker 2: No, I just have a little bit of a timeline. If you want to run through.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do that at all. Actually good enough.
Speaker 2: I just love that. Uh to your point, the first ten minutes really sets it off, Like you have him pinging to create his own water. You have the li tree which gets stolen by the other guy who eventually gets gets smirked, and then you have an incredible line that I almost wish he broke the fourth wall. He goes, nothing's free in water world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I said, it's breakneck speed until it's not.
Speaker 2: Oh. Actually, so two things, two major gripes. I okay, all right, they never explained all these gas powered vehicles still operates thousands of years in the future. And the second thing, when Costner gets to that floating city, the guy gives him two hours. How can you tell any time in this world? What? How how would they tell when two hours is out?
Speaker 1: Sundial.
Speaker 2: I also liked the spam towards the end as smeet instead of spam Max.
Speaker 1: That could be anything, that could be a boat and Mac. We are but one week from the greatest time of the year, Pumpy season.
Speaker 2: Kud. In my mind, pumpy season has already begun. It's not out on the apps yet. I don't believe. I hadn't check the Starbucks app. It's not on the Dunks app yet. But most of these stores you can go to order it inside and get your your pumpy cold brew or whatever drink you want to drink. I have been purchasing cold brew pumpkin stuff in the store for a couple of weeks already.
Speaker 1: Right, you've been drinking Stoke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stoke, really really quality stuff, not too creamy or milky. I don't I don't like really any dairy in my coffee. I almost row dogg it. But I get a little of the pumpkin flavor, obviously, but I am well immersed already into pumpy season. I am looking forward to more pumpkin flavored things. I had a couple of pumpkin flavored muchkins the other day.
Speaker 1: As a as a coffee drinker, I drink a large cold brew. This is a dunks. If Duncans wants a spot for this podcast, I would love that. And then I do one cream, just to cut it a little bit. But if I look at it and it's any darker than this, I'm saying you take that back.
Speaker 2: Oh really that's too late for me.
Speaker 1: Well, this is also I apologize. I say one cream. This might be a little bit lighter because all of the ice has melted fair enough. So don't judge me, judy.
Speaker 2: I go cold brew black, so no dairy, no sugar, but I do get two pumps of whatever flavor I want. The normal thing for a large is four. Sometimes that's two sugary too much, so I cut it in a half. I go two, and that gives you just enough of the sugary flavor that you would like in your bev.
Speaker 1: You know how in I think you should leave when he drinks the gaspacho and it's room temperature and it burns his mouth. Yeah. Whenever I order a coffee and I say one cream, no sugar, and I take a sip and there's sugar in it, I have like a violent reaction of.
Speaker 2: You just go straight cold blue brew, no flavor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the surprise of the sugar just like throws me off.
Speaker 2: I have been championing the Duncan's cold brew for five years now. Yeah, they're regular ice coffee sucks. The cold brew is substantially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you actually got me onto the cold brew. I told you that I'd get a nice coffee and then you're like, what are you fucking stupid? And then you could explain to me how cold brew works and like that. Yeah, I tried it, and you were right. It costs a dollar more. You're right, but you are really expensive.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is just but it's like their regular ice coffee is so bitter and gross, whereas they're cold brew. You actually could drink it black if you.
Speaker 1: Wanted to, all right, Mac, where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and on Instagram at Mac and Goo podcast. On every other platform, we are Mac ampersand Good. It's max Shift seven Good that INCU, It's Facebook Siture Tuning, castbarks for.
Speaker 1: Google Play, I had Radio.
Speaker 2: We are Spotify, and more importantly, we are on Apple Podcast. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo T shirt from the folks over at Watertown sports Where. That's Watertownsports where dot com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Hey Alexa, tell Mac and Goo fuck Hey Alexa, play Mac and Goo on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Do you think you know it's I do in like in my bedroom listen without headphones or shit like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How often do you think people are a rod dog and podcasts out in the open where Alexa would hear it?
Speaker 1: I would assume every single day. I don't know. I listen to podcasts in my car and then with headphones on.
Speaker 2: So you're probably right, Yeah, that's that's predominantly m me is Oh.
Speaker 1: Also, if you are on YouTube, once again, we are on YouTube with all of these. If you like to watch people talk, that's really all the YouTube video is. Thank you if you are watching on YouTube, but smash that subscribe button right there, give the video a like. If you're already here, If you aren't subscribed, I understand. I don't just I don't subscribe to every video thing that I see. I get into a nice algorithm which I do enjoy. But if you're already here, just like the video. There you go. And if you want to comment something, I'll like say say if you want to comment right now and say that whoever is doing the videos should cgi hair onto mac. Now is the time to do it.
Speaker 2: I also welcome all comments. You could tell me to fuck off, you could tell me I stink. I don't really care.
Speaker 1: Go for it all right, check us out at the beginning of next week we'll be doing a news dump. Also, I think both of us might be on dork for.
Speaker 2: Oh the start of the Top Little fiftieser is hashtag dork is going to debut the first half of their Top fifty Movies of All Time list. And I'll tell you that was a doozy to put up.
Speaker 1: Hated it. Give me a genre, give me a timeframe.
Speaker 2: What was your initial list before you cut it to fifty.
Speaker 1: I did a pretty good job of like I only got it to like sixty seven because I would say to myself, there's no way this is gonna crack. These fifty movies here already, so I'm not going to keep adding movies to the back end for no reason.
Speaker 2: Fair Enough, I ended up with like eighty seven movies, which then I cut to like fifty seven. And those last seven cuts were like painstaking And then only the hottest part though, was ordering them fifty to one or one fifty however you want to rank it. That took the longest amount of time. And I'm actually pretty happy with my list. I got most of the classics on there that I enjoy. I didn't put them too high though, you know, like, for example, Citizen Kane was on my list, but I think I had it like fortieth. You know, it's an influential movie that I really enjoy, but it's not my favorite movie of all time.
Speaker 1: I also hate the fact that I forgot a movie. I'm not going to say what the movie is right now, but I had to add it to my list and then push off Young Frankenstein.
Speaker 2: That was your fiftieth. Yeah, that was That was in my eighty seven. My fiftieth was the Graduate I had.
Speaker 1: I think it's still on my list. But I also love the Graduate too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great one, and some other classics I had on there. Doctor Strangelove, I think I had it like forty as well, a little just a Tad. I had a Citizen Kane I didn't have. I had Psycho on there. That might have been the last old movie that that I had. I didn't have a ton of old old movies, but I had a handful. Oh.
Speaker 1: Actually, since I had a down size the gutio and right now I'm just in a I'm in a green screen prison, I have to give you back the Doctor Strangelove poster that used to hang in the gudio. Okay, all right, because you have so much space that you can put it in your area.
Speaker 2: It'll just sit on the floor in my living.
Speaker 1: Room because I also feel bad that. So in the old gudio we had two amazing framed posters, one of Star Wars one of Back to the Future, and I have nowhere to put those. Yeah, they're huge.
Speaker 2: So in my living room I have three or four up kind of making the television and it just takes up so much wall space. And I can do that because I don't have a wife trying to interior decorate. But I imagine if I had a significant other living with me, none of those posters would be.
Speaker 1: On the wall. Everything outside of the gudeo, I have no saying. Actually I have some say in my son's room because I'm like, okay, well what a little boy would like, and it's just true, that's what I would like. Yeah. Also, my son will walk into the gudio and just be like I want that, and I'm like, fuck, it's yours. Now hard to say, but what am I supposed to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: No, it's mine?
Speaker 2: Yeareing back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, no, it's my.
Speaker 2: Total you're both crying.
Speaker 1: The only thing that he's not allowed to touch in there is the lego groot because that thing is gonna break. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like anything you have to build and that you have displayed, he probably shouldn't be allowed to play with all.
Speaker 1: Right, Tuesdays or goose days. I abuse kangaroos. And speaking of this next word, I'm about to say, we'll do beetlejuice next week Tim Burton.
Speaker 2: I please flip the cassette over to side B
Speaker 1: To connects jumping on trampolines