Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Running to the facilities of the iHeartMedia megaplexis is Dick Gabriel. This is the statewide edition of the Big Blue and sart he heard Mark st Mark Stoops, Mark Pope's We're going to talk about Mark Stoops later, Mark Pope's comments and Kenny Brooks as well. And now stay tuned for Billy Rutledge Aaron Gershan hers truly on the state wide BBI.
Speaker 1: Border to order.
Speaker 2: It is the Big Blue Insider, Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge, Aaron gershawan tomorrow night on these same station as Kentucky, Texas A and M here in Lexion. Now, did you make the trip to Starkville? I'm about to ask you. I didn't think you were sure last week when I talked to you and you said that probably because of weather that would not be the trip. And uh, as it turned out, I'm sure you would love to have been there because it was a heck of a story the way that game unfolded, especially let's start with Jackson Robinson. Were you surprised by that? Were you just sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that to happen? How did you approach that.
Speaker 1: A little bit of both. I think I've definitely been waiting on it because that is the guy that was advertised even better than advertised, but also wasn't holding my breath given how bad it looked against Georgia. And it wasn't just that he played poorly. His body language was awful and I mentioned that last week, yes, and you know, with the media seating at Georgia were pretty much right underneath one of the baskets, and as soon as Jackson missed his first shout of the day, the shoulders shrugged and you could just see he wasn't feeling it. And I think usually when coaches kind of go in the hole, oh, they just decided like they're going to play free. I kind of just scoff at it. But the way Mark Pope described it, how he was worrying about his pro career, which obviously he turned down, the chance to possibly be a late pick to come to Kentucky, and just all the pressure that he felt on him, and it clearly looked like a guy who was playing loose and free, and the body language was better. There was a smile on his face, he looked locked in, and he carried them to a win, Billy.
Speaker 2: You are the the network manager producer here, paying more attention to the radio broadcast, but you keep an eye and on the big screen TV right over there. What was really entertaining to me was the way the basketball barely stopped in Robinson's hands on the way to the You know, he would catch the pass.
Speaker 1: But it's like he barely had it before it was on the way with perfect form.
Speaker 2: Mind you to the basket. Were you able to notice much of that?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: I mean there was an eighteen footer late in the game that was really clutched throwing Jackson Robinson. It felt like he kind of stepped into his shots a little bit. And you saw the guy play with a little joy, and I think that may be the key with this team. One of Mark's Pope's phrases tonight was be where your feet are. Yeah, and that's being present and I'm sure that's hard to do. I mean, think about these guys' collegiate careers, a lot of them coming from other schools to Kentucky. And Andrew Carsang the other night, you know, there's nothing like being Kentucky.
Speaker 1: On the road.
Speaker 3: It's a it's maybe a different mindset you got to get.
Speaker 1: Into a little bit, and.
Speaker 3: Poor Andrew Carr in his bad back, he was he was able to play well despite all those struggles, and it all comes out a night where Kobe Brea goes one to five from three. And we were so determined last Wednesday that Kobe had to shoot well for Kentucky to win big games, and that just didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I will take you guys back. I'm gonna go old guy on you. I will take you back to nineteen seventy five. All right, that's the first time I ever went on the road and watch Kentucky play. It was at Alabama. I don't remember why I went, but that was a team that ended up in the final for Jimmie an Connor and Kevin Greevy and those guys, and I remember, for whatever reason it stood at Alabama had way they called.
Speaker 1: A tartan surface. Familiar with that. It's like a hard rubber.
Speaker 2: And there were there were schools Florida had won, Tennessee had when I think, and it was the kind of thing where took less maintenance so you could share the floor with you know, the women's team and volleyball and this and that. But the one thing I remember the most was was a packed house because Kentucky's in town and here came the Wildcats. And I had covered nothing but home games up until that point. And they're wearing blue, and I'd seen them on TV wearing blue, but it's not the same. And I remember when they first came out, I'm like, WHOA, that's different. You know, they're in blue uniforms. And the booze rained down like you wouldn't believe, and honestly, I couldn't stop laughing. And I was standing next to him, an NBA scout. He's looking at me. I said, I'm sorry, man, I've just never heard this. I mean, they were just brutal, you know boo and of course these guys are used to it. But yeah, I love that comment from Car. Nothing like being on the road when you're from Kentucky. But to your point, Aaron about Robinson and what a great sound by Mark Pope kind of remember you know you were, I'm sure you saw this kind of hesitated for a second, then he decided to share yep.
Speaker 1: And I thought that was poignant. I thought that was.
Speaker 2: Really an interesting and we were all ready to bury him, right Jackson Robbinson. Where's the Jackson Robinson we'd all heard about and here he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and now it'll be the next up is consistency, Like, let's make sure it wasn't a flash in the pan. But if he's truly unlocked like that, that's dangerous. Well, you know, A and M is gonna lock down locked. He was A and M the first year, so that they know him as good as anyone, you know, Kobe Bray maybe open. Yeah. That's been the great thing about this team is in their big wins. I think almost every single one of them, they've had a guy just kind of not show up and someone else has picked them up. Obviously, go back to the Duke game, Jackson Robinson scored one point and you know Away and Cower kind of carried them. But you know who quietly had six points in a big three late kerk Resa did in this game, Ansley Almanor. Ansley Almanor, I was looking at it today. In the last eight games before this one on Saturday against State was five for twenty one from the field and three for sixteen from three, so basically a non factor. He scores eleven points and they're all I think at least nine of them were to that eleven to two run that won the game. Like if that's the beauty of this team, where yes, they might lack that guy who's going to always be able to get you a bucket, but they have different guys who step up in the clutch.
Speaker 3: Ansley was funny in that game. He was making faces. He was reading that newspaper afterwards that was saying, you know, Kentucky's dead or whatever it was. It was Kentucky, Kentucky. Yeah, and Mark Pope, you know, kind of alluding to that tonight talking about, you know, when Ansley's an accountant or when he's in a different career many years from now, he'll still think of a night like that night where he hit three threes and was, you know, instrumental in a Kentucky being a good team on the road, an emphasis on good, especially defensively. Mississippi State, it's going to be one of those teams. I think that that could make some noise in the NCAA tournament. Josh Hubbard was somebody that Lamont Butler really had down in clamps. I mean, Josh Hubbard scored thirty four last year against Kentucky and Butler just kind of put a different type of defense on him. So encouraging, really encouraging, because I think you looked at the last week and you said, let's go one in one, right, and maybe it was flip flop the games that you expected to.
Speaker 1: Win, and they did it. They've done that twice this year, and that's a good sign that they're bouncing back. Remember they they had the Clemson Gonzaga week. Everyone's like, all right, go beat Clemson and then Gonzaga. Then you saw the mont Butler's gonna be out and you're like, oh boy, but they somehow won that game too. They've been resilient. They have not had back to back losses yet this year.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, it's interesting and there's so many layers to this team, you know, and they were hot. But to me, what was really entertaining as well was the postgame kind of I told you so SoundBite from Pope about Almanor, and I got to admit. He said it on media day. He said it when he signed the kid. He said, this guy is going to help us win games, mark my words, even when he was struggling. But he also said Brandon Garrison's gonna hit freeze, which he has but to a greater extent though. This is why he brought Almanor to Kentucky, and Almanor knew he would sit behind Andrew Carr. So imagine going in knowing that while Carr gives you defense and scores in the low post and passes, well all that stuff, you're there to do one job if you're anti Almanor, and that's beat the defense from the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's just what makes this era of Kentucky basketball different. Basically, every guy Canuck and this is not a shot at all, It's just how it was. But whenever Cal signed a player was like, Okay, where's this guy going to go in the draft? It was always a guy that had draft potential this team. Let's face it, there may be a guy who gets drafted or get signs the ud f A. There might not be an NBA player on this team. I think there's I think it could happen, but there's there's a chance none of these guys get drafted. There's a lot fiftier seniors. The NBA doesn't love that. It just might not happen. But that doesn't mean they can't win a bunch and maybe win the whole thing at the end. It's just, uh, they have a lot of different role players. And to Billy's point, like that's why a game like Ansley had, he might he's probably never gonna play in the NBA, but he's gonna go back and when he's in his future, yeah maybe, and he'll go brag about that. So it's really it's it's a kind of refreshing to see these guys where they are busting their tails. They know, maybe the NBA is in my future, maybe it's not. So I'm gonna go laid on the line in college ball. Not just it's not just a pit stop exactly, and that it's refreshing. It works here for a while and then it got still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And here's the thing that I try to remind people as well. There are guys who treated this as a pit stop. But that didn't always mean that they're one foot out the door. And I'm bringing up I always bring up and I'm sure you guys have seen it, the video of Aaron Fox and bam Adebayo.
Speaker 1: After that North Carolina lost sobbing like little children, I mean, balling their eyes out. No, you get that, you know you've got the Archie good ones who told somebody in August, I just want to pay and get kayd and get out of here. I can tell you for a fact there was not Reed Shepherd, but there was a certain guy on last year's team in that locker room after Oakland who you could tell he was like, well off to the league. Yeah, there was no worry in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, Shade and sharp situation too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not one shot that Cal. Look Cal's team right now, they're owing three in the league. They probably have three draft picks in this next YEARND. It just it doesn't result in winning necessarily anymore.
Speaker 2: And Kentucky fans are having a great time, you know, sort of commiserating with Arkansas fans. Who I mean, it's not all of them who have already turned on them. Although one of the one of the national heads, uh no Bleacher Report I had had a story out there saying he's.
Speaker 1: The biggest fraud.
Speaker 2: In college basketball, Marstool, and then the Alabama or Alabama Arkansas fans lined up to defend him, and they weren't wrong.
Speaker 1: Hey, we've lost four.
Speaker 2: Games to nationally ranked teams and the guy had to rebuild from the ground up. And now I know he didn't need me to carry his water, but you know, you could you could argue that he had more talent than Mark Pope, but more talent, but well, but he's got raw talent what Mark But exactly what Mark Pope has is guys who were much like not the same skill sets, but like Rick Pattino inherited when he got here, the unforgettables, the guys who were in those rafters. Only Sean Woods was a highly talented player. Sean Woods was four or five star point guard, could have gone anywhere.
Speaker 1: Pelfrey felt out. They were recruited.
Speaker 2: They turned down Vandy, Richie, turned down Louisville and LSU, but they weren't people weren't lining up at their door.
Speaker 1: But what he had were guys who knew how to play basketball. That's what's going on now.
Speaker 2: Exactly whereas Arkansas's guys, And again a lot of it's Caliperry's offense of you know, get to the rim and if you miss our guys, we'll get the rebuid. You know, uh, maybe maybe maybe not, but it's still raw talent and he is what did he say it'd always take the talent over experience.
Speaker 1: The thing that makes a little different though this year at Arkansas is they signed two of the top ten players in the portal who are both fit their seniors, Janel Davis from FAU Jonahs Adu from Tennessee, right, and they both I mean, Adu has had a good game against Florida, so got him credit there, but he's having one of the worst years of his career. Janelle Davis, who was he led FAU to the final four two years ago and last year was shooting forty one percent from three, is having his worst season by a mile. Yeah, he's that's the guy. If you go on Arkansas Twitter, they're not even met at CaAl. They're met at him because they were booing him when he was going to check in because he's getting paid at time. Wow, and he's not performing. So that's the one thing that's a little odd. Oh why are guys going to play for cal like and obviously he's had some great transfer Antonio Reeves got way better here. Oh yeah, but why are these guys who were stars at their last stop, including one who played for his buddy Rick Barnes, going in regressive you know else?
Speaker 2: He has, and I wish it'd stayed here, But I can understand because he doesn't seem like the kind of there that do Thierra.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, yeah, I think there's a time he looks incredible. Yes, he that's a guy. I think that'll be interesting if he were to Portal.
Speaker 3: Well, it was weird because he left before Cal left, so I don't know if that was the intention at first. You know, here's here's the thing with Arkansas. They didn't have the John Wall DeMarcus Cousins years, or a national title or twenty fifteen to buffer to put up with the I don't even know who we're playing next exact, or the all the guys just didn't show up for the shoot around, so we didn't have one like we were used to the hits. But it came after the success. Arkansas is getting it and he's hasn't done anything, and three in conference and he's like, deal with it, we're all going through it. You know, we're built from Mark, We'll see you later, and he ends.
Speaker 1: The problem is that the season end today, they wouldn't even be.
Speaker 2: In March, and he's not accountable in that oftentimes, and that he doesn't show up again.
Speaker 1: He hasn't done pregame all year exactly.
Speaker 2: So all right, we'll take a break, come back and talk more Kentucky basketball. A little bit later on, we'll switch you over to football as well, talk a little bit more about some of the new faces who have joined Mark Stoop's team, and we will touch base as well. Now we are all officially done in terms of our rooting interest with the NFL. But games are the games go on without us. Back in a minute on a state wide BBI from.
Speaker 1: Pikeville to Paduca.
Speaker 2: It is a statewide edition of the Big Blue Cider. Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutledge, Aaron Gershan Wildcats in action tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And you know, looking.
Speaker 2: Back, we're talking about that win obviously Misissippi date one of you alluded to the Georgia loss. Georgia followed that up with another good win ranked now, yeah, and you know, obviously they were one of the SEC teams we all talked about. Well, we all knew that once conference play began things would level out. But two or three teams are winless now in the league, including Arkansas.
Speaker 1: I think LSU's winning USU Oklahoma in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but maybe we shouldn't be surprised by that, but the bottom line is it's a shame that it will hurt some of these teams when it comes to their ratings, their rankings or opportunities. Now, you know, there could be nine, ten to eleven teams in the NCA Tournament, well if the committee members pay attention all year. But if some of these teams are sub five hundred in the SEC, which is entirely possible, you know, maybe they don't get did the NCA Tournament when they should when they deserve it, right. But other than I don't know, maybe Auburn or I don't know who else could have like a top heavy record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just trying to put in perspective this SEC and the even mentioned opportunities. I was trying to find it. But I'm pretty sure Kentucky only has like three quad two games left in a quad three and that's everything else is squad one, Like I know for now, South Carolina is a quad three, Arkansas is a Quad two, and Vandy at home is a Quad two. I'm pretty sure every single other game on their schedule is quad one. And this week alone, you play the number eleven ranked team in the country. We're about to get an injury report here. By the way, Wade Taylor, the tremendous guards who's been at A and M forever, has been out the last two games. So that is something to watch. I'll pull it up in a second. And then like one of those football players is in his eighth year. Yeah, it feels like it. And then Alabama, number four in the country, rolling in. It's just this league is crazy and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of some of those quad wills won't remain no quad ones.
Speaker 1: But still all on the road. They've sure, Mike, because I don't think a lot of those teams are dropping blow seventy five, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Tennessee, Auburn, Kentucky. I think you put Florida, Florida into that now, they're awesome. I mean it is going to be a really fun SEC tournament. Yes, I mean you could have some really good teams playing on that first day.
Speaker 1: Wade Tailor is out tomorrow. Really, he is out tomorrow, So Kentucky will play them without their best. Somebody else get the minutes and go to nuclear.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Florida, what in the world got into the Gators with.
Speaker 3: Tennessee Tennessee had like fifteen and a halftime of that game, it was they couldn't make a three. I mean it was. It was an ugly It was like one of twenty one at one point of something like that. That was an embarrassing performance, there's no doubt about it. But also goes to show you that win versus Florida is maybe something that holds up for the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: And like I said, I'm not ashamed to say it. They were fortunate gaters didn't hit their free throws. But to win games like that, you got to hit your shots, and Kentucky did. I looked at who was I sitting next I can't remember who I sitting next to. But in that Florida game, nine minutes to play, Kentucky had eighty points. Eighty points. That tells you how first of all, tough points were to come by down the stretch. But still, you know, you had two or three spurts where both teams are throwing in shots. People are still talking about that game, but it's the kind of game where they may do it again, you know, And if Kentucky keeps scoring the way it is, that means the other team gets more possessions, so they may end up.
Speaker 1: Watch for that Saturday. I think tomorrow A and M is going to try to slow the heck out of the game. That's how they play, yeah, hopefully right, and they're the number one offensive rebounding team the country. They're gonna try to tip out and use twenty seconds. But Alabama is number two in the country and ken Palm adjusted tempo, they play at a lightning quick speed. That is a game that's gonna be a lot like the Florida game. You're you're gonna see both teams nearer above one hundred in that one.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be interesting. And I doubted Pope tips his hand. But if your mark, Pope, do you try to match that or do you try to maybe drop it down a gear?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Kentucky at their best is when they're going quick, right, you gotta still play to your strengths. And look they against Florida, they still played quick and they were just outscored them. And we're lucky we get that Alabama batch of twice. I know they might not win, they could get swept. Alabama's that good. I don't think they will. I think they'll split, but those are gonna be must watch games. Yeah, we're not to look ahead. We can look ahead. They can't.
Speaker 3: Lucky Braa went nuclear in that game versus Florida.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing with Florida and Alabama. They do give a little bit on the perimeter defensively because they're just they're trying to just get the ball and run. So I think you could see Brad have a good game against Saturday. I don't know, years ago did against Alabama Kentucky set up one of the bigs.
Speaker 2: Under the basket and just fed him. The whole game was it.
Speaker 1: Ugo, all kinds of dunks and tippings and well they looked.
Speaker 3: Last year was Justin Edwards.
Speaker 1: Last year was the Justin Edwards game. The year before Alabama they got crushed at Oh that was you know who it was. It was Damien Collins. Damian Collins had a massive game. Now they swept Alabama. That was the That was the Saint Peter's team. I hate to call him that, but that's how I remember that, the Saint Peter's team. They swept Alabama that year and that was Damian Collins, like probably his best game in the UK uniform. You're exactly right, and that was a very low scoring game. But the next year they got washed. Alabama had fixed it and the Brandon Miller the next year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but the you know that attack wouldn't necessarily well, let let's pull it back to the A and M game. And I think, I don't know if I've not seen him play at all, but we have seen teams throw a little three quarter court press at Kentucky to try to slow the Temple.
Speaker 1: That's what they're gonna do, they you think, Yeah, And look the thing with A and M. You said you haven't seen him much. They have almost all the same dudes. They have a couple of new guys here and there, and they have a transfer. I forget where he's from. But their lead guard That'll with Taylor out who's playing well. But like Garcia, that kid Coleman, all these guys who have been there for years are still there. And yeah, they're gonna try to money the game up. They'll press, they'll try to slow Kentucky down. And number one offensive rebounding team in the country, so that's a challenge for this Kentucky team.
Speaker 2: It's being a rebounding watching Kentucky really battle Mississippi City.
Speaker 1: You got the box score up, Billy No, Okay, out rebounded them, I know by eight. All right, that's what I was looking for. Okay.
Speaker 2: I wonder because we all talked about it last week. Everybody talked about it in print, online, on the air. This Kentucky team maybe isn't tough enough, doesn't rebound well enough, isn't physical. Mark Pope at length, you were there at his pregame news conference, talked about the physicality of playing in this league, etcetera, et cetera. They clearly responded last day or night. Does that become consistent? That's what I'm looking for tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 3: I mean, I really do, because they've called that out several times I'm sure in practice as well. And it's not going away. I mean, that happened with the Clemson game, right even the Western game. I feel like they've Western kind of exposed Kentucky a little bit.
Speaker 1: Western and Georgia State no question. All right, we're gonna come back and talk a little more basketball. We're gonna take a look at the football port olan find out what's going on.
Speaker 2: Mark Stoop's team ran fleed to biking seven nothing. I think we're all happy about that. They're on the state wide BBI from Pikeville to Paduca. It is the BBI. Dick Gabrielle, Aaron Sean, Billy Rutledge. Let us shift for a little while over to football. We'll get back to basketball. But Aaron, as we mentioned with a catch pause, keeps the portal updated. You kind of got all of the plates spinning right now. And uh, since you and I spoke, there have been a couple of new faces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the two really good ones honestly, and look, I've been I would say, I don't know the right word. I'm skeptical on this team still and there's still a lot to do. But uh, they added Mike. I think it's mike Quez Grace, who's the defensive end from South Dakota who for for big diehard Collge football fans know the Missouri Valley Conference that obviously Murray Steak is in. They struggled mightily in this year, but is the best like the SEC version of the f.
Speaker 2: I man Jack with all due respect and it's a first year coach down there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they were the worst team in rule. That's what I'm trying to look at I go look at their scores to see how good. What I'm saying is, don't judge the valley on what you saw from Murray or that's what I'm trying to say exactly, That's what I'm trying to say. Yeah, So South Dakota North Dakota State, who wins to the fiest title every year one of their art trials, this guy won the defensive player of the Year in that conference. You know, nine and a half sacks, eighteen and a half tackles for loss to force fumbles. So that's a big time guy. Georgia was after him. He took a visit to Georgia. So usually Kirby Smart's a pretty good valuator of talent, so that should tell you a little something. So that one's big because we all know the pass rush has been a problem for years now. That Kentucky I think was fifteenth in the SEC and sacks this year, not gonna get it done. And then they added wide receiver and True Edwards who was a first team All Conference guy down at LA Tech Louisiana Tech last season, and a guy who's a true X kind of is going to probably take over for name Key and the starting lineup and that at that position. So, you know, two on paper, really good additions, especially I think I think Grace is the best player they've added this offseason period. But as we were talking on air, that left tackle position still there. It's still open. They've done a nice job filling the you know, filling out right tackle. They got a trustworthy guard in Joshua Moron from Arkansas, but they got a plug and play center from Billy's WKY Hilltoppers. But left tackle is open, and that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Any idea who may be out there.
Speaker 1: Well, there's the one kid from New Mexico State. I'm not even gonna try his first name yet, but his last name is Pete. He's six ' eight, three hundred and forty pound guy who is an All conference guy at New Mexico State. In twenty twenty three of the year that Diego Pavia took them to their conference title game and beat Auburn on the road. He's visited Kentucky, he visited Vandy where Pavia and Jerry killar. He visited Oklahoma State, where his offensive line coach is. So there's competition you have to overcome continuity there. But he hasn't committed yet and Kentucky's still in the mix, So that's the one that could be the fix for this cycle. If not, it's something that would you push the canned down to spring. And we all know the players that come out after the spring are usually because they're not going to start, So that's not necessarily where you want to go do your shopping. So if they can't get this kid, it's going to be either look that they look internally. They run in two transfer tackles. One is a career right tackle from Bowling Green, multi year starter of that position. The other from New Mexico State is really only is one true year of starting experience. Other than that, he's been a Juco guy. So we're like Malachi would, I don't think is ready yet. So it's gonna get dice and they have they have to. They have to finish on this New Mexico State kid for you to feel good about left tackle.
Speaker 2: There are connections, as you said Toy and Auburn, are there any connections with him with Kentucky.
Speaker 1: The hope is Kentucky has more money than Vandy and Oklahoma State and that helps someone out.
Speaker 3: Well, good thing they have a developer of talent like Eric Wolf at the offensive line.
Speaker 1: You know what, They've somehow signed four offensive linemen with that guy that I got. Look, I don't know how good of Billy knocking his with Nick seven again, I don't know, man, but they got to finish on that left tackle. That'll make me feel pretty good about the transfer class. To me, it's like they get a they get an incomplete because it is. There's a lot of good names in there, especially these last two. But well, you use the.
Speaker 2: Words skeptical, and I think, Billy that everybody has the right to be skeptical about this Kentucky team until it wins its first conference game, you know, and they're going to get a chance to prove themselves really early with the way of schedules structured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, buddy, we're going to find out pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: I'm not overlooking Toledo a week one.
Speaker 1: No, boys, you know they're starting running back. Will be next year, right, chip train them right, that's right till really assuming is healthy hopefully is nuts. I remember I can't remember the kid's name. Yeah, and that was Toledo as well, So it's just yeah, and in all fairness, that kid went on because his mother was very sick. Yes, and he was buried in the depth chart. It wasn't like Chip where he was going to start and got hurt. No, but he eventually played.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's yeah. Oh he was buried here. Yeah, yeah, but he was buried here. But he was only a freshman here. But I remember how much Mark Pope really liked him. And you're right, he had a great career at Toledo. But as I said, Uh, they can't ease into anything, can they. The schedule the way there is.
Speaker 3: No and and and and really this past year I felt like the schedules set up for Kentucky to make a run. Now take every opponent and flip the home and away aspect of it. And I feel like it's even tougher schedule than last year. And and so like if if you had any like goodwill or grace built up, I feel like it's gone now. So like maybe a La cal after Saint Peter's you know what I mean. I feel like the patience has run out. You've had your one year that I think Stoops spent all year talking about that. Oh I can have a bad year because I've had so many great years of success I can give you that, coach, But now now you're in the crosshairs, right. I mean people have already said his seats hot.
Speaker 2: He's earned the I've not seen him on any hot seat lists, but that doesn't mean that he's not number one but number two. He's earned the right to clean up his mess, There's no question about that. But it wasn't just a one year aberration. But that's what is so fascinating to me. He was covered football here forever that.
Speaker 1: How disappointed we all were, fans, media, obviously, the coach, and players by back to back seven wins seasons. I mean, I'm telling you, guys.
Speaker 2: And people in my generation will tell you that those kinds of seasons used to be caused for parades down Main Street when it came to Kentucky football. And we're all spoiled now, but.
Speaker 1: That's the way it ought to be. And I mean obviously, so it's not only just the success that Kentucky's had here, but you look across this sec last year or this past season. Bandy goes seven and six, South Carolina goes nine to four, and you know, gets into the six Ers Bowl like teams that you Missouri the last two years has been I think at ten wins both years. So you look at those teams that used to I think there were eleven to one against them from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty one. Now they're swing games. Yes, your swing games. They've all passed you, and by a significant margin in Missouri's case in South Carolina last year. That's that's where I think the the agony is with the fan.
Speaker 3: And I'll add on to that point, Aaron Kurt Signetti in Indiana, I mean, Indiana historically the worst college football program, but yet they're able to make the playoffs because in a new age of college football, you do it a different way. You get the transfer portal guys from the coach coming from a different school, you're able to pay nil money. So historical losing from Kentucky in the past is not an excuse, not anymore for why Kentucky fans should be happy with six and seven win seasons anymore.
Speaker 1: To keep building on what you said too, like the SEC Giants all took steps back this year. Alabama was human. They were not in three and they you look at their offseason right now, they haven't done that much. Whom I missed there's some Auburn. The last two Auburn didn't even make a bowl. They've been terrible last year by their standards. Yeah, I said Alabama Georgia, like Georgia was beat We saw it here. Kentucky's a they don't you know that pick six that should have been they might have beat Georgia here. So Georgia, you know, took a step back. And then I'm looking into next year. I'll tell you a team early prediction. And this is not bias at all. Tennessee. We saw it in the playoff against Ohio State. They have a wide receiver issue. They've done nothing to address it, and they've lost five to the portal. They lost it. And Dylan Sampson, who is the best running back in the league this year's in the NFL now is going to the NFL. That's a team like and they haven't brought in a running back and I don't know much about their returning backs. Like there are teams toward the top taking steps down the and I just laid it out how South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri have risen. The fans expect Kentucky to be in the in that group that rises because it's opening there is there is Actually, while the SEC is very hard, the path to get there, with the portal and all these things is actually more open, I think than it has been in the past. Well yeah, but it's more of a gamble. And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad you brought up the Indiana because that was one of the great stories absolute college football. But to me, it was kind of the mirror image of Kentucky in that you mentioned how tough the schedule is going to be.
Speaker 1: It was pretty tough.
Speaker 2: This past year. Let's face it. But it's the SEC, all right, Uh portal, some of the portal additions didn't pan out, right. Indiana was the exact opposite. Kurt Signetti told his wife he was not going to take the job. And what turned him around? You know the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard the schedule.
Speaker 2: He looked at a schedule. They got out of bed, they were laying in bed talking and he said, you know, I'm gonna turn down the job. She said why, I just don't think of it, you know, She just who are you gonna play?
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see.
Speaker 2: They got up, pulled it up on a computer, and I heard him say he went through the schedule one. That's a win. That's a win. He told his wife, you know what, because they weren't playing Michigan Ohio State.
Speaker 1: He was the only one on their schedule. Yeah, that's right. They played a hot state, but uh, they had a fairly.
Speaker 2: I'll use it for the man, easy, manageable, and he told his wife that could be a playoff schedule right there. Takes the job. But the other thing was, look at all the kids he brought with him from JMU, which was a championship level program at the one DOAA level. So he was getting proven kids who knew his system and knew how to win.
Speaker 1: As opposed to well.
Speaker 2: We think this guy was good or could be good, you're never coming through the portal. That's an entirely different formula for winning. And Indiana made it work better than anybody in America agreed this year.
Speaker 1: And that's what that's the one thing I like with some of these portal additions Kentucky's made this year compared to last. And there were some guys who were like Jamiens Dumus Johnson, and he was a hit. He played really well. Yes, So I think it's so important that you bring yes, but it's so important. Bringing known commodities, no question, Like Brock vander griff was kind of the same gamble they made on on Will Levis and they're batting five hundred on that. But like this Gray Skid is a defensive player of the Year in a huge conference. I think he will maybe there will be an adjustment to the SEC. It'll be pretty quick. He's gonna be a really good player. You got to have those that you're like, Okay, that's guys, we know what we're getting from that guy instead of a well you know, he was a four star three years ago. And I think look at Indiana, like you said, brought in guys from a championship level program, knew how to win. That's what the pro that's what the the best teams that handle the portal like Ohio State, they got to do it with a massive budget, which helps. But they go get Caleb Downs and Quinn Shawn Juckkins. Like where they without those two guys. I'm not obviously they still have a ton of talent. But here's the.
Speaker 2: Talkhilly is we've gone forty four minutes into his show now we haven't mentioned quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Well that well, you don't have a good quarterback. You don't have a shot, and that's just and that's if you have to, you don't have one.
Speaker 1: And the problem with that is we don't. Calzada has a had a great year two years at Incarnate Word, But was he the proven commodity. He's closer to a proven commodity. He's definitely more of a proven commodity than Brock, Fanagraff and and Cutter Bully, although I like is he more of a proven more of a proven commodity than Devin Leary, though I don't think so well.
Speaker 2: To me, Devin Leary was a different case because he came from a really different system.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is true, but Liam Cohn wanted him. Liam Cohn did want He wanted more than a kid and ended up in Florida. Mark, Yeah, they were gonna they were gonna.
Speaker 2: Take that is cur said, I'd rather have Devin Leary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah. The new quarterbacks got an injury history though Concervatio and just like Devin Leary did, and Kentucky hasn't finished this season since I was born where they didn't have to use the backup quarterback. It feel it's like I.
Speaker 1: Am interested staggering stat I don't know if that's right. Only the only year I can think of where they haven't is twenty twenty. I don't think twenty twenty one they Other than blowouts they had to. Twenty two obviously, Kaya started a game. Twenty three Leary started them all. But I know Kaya came in for a long period of time against State Mississippi State. And then twenty twenty Terry was missed a game. Gatewood started. Twenty nineteen, Terry got hurt. Twenty eighteen, Terry did play the whole year, but he got benched at one point and he got hurt. The olden year, they ran out a quarterback. Yeah, Stephen Johnson made it through a year somehow. Someone in twenty seven. Yeah, but he was a sub me. All you mean is incumbent year? Oh yeah, second year won one leg and it was jumping into the end zone and stead but remember the Tennessee game. Oh yeah, he won one leg and two badshoes the shoulder.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I do want to highlight one thing. I'm interested to see how Nebraska receivers play this year. I wonder why, because Kentucky receivers coach goes they take dan Key and is it Anthony Browns, gil Hardley Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Anthony Brown Stevens went to two lane.
Speaker 3: So you talk about bringing in known commodities and you know, maybe a much more micro level Kurt Signetti bringing his own players to a different team. I wonder if that would work. I mean if Dane interesting and uh hardly Gill.
Speaker 1: Who's our quarterback Patrick Mahomes. Yeah, that's right, Dylan Ryle, that don't work. But yeah, well, you know what's interesting with the portal departures. So last year I think Kentucky they lost twenty two and only fifteen landed. This year, all twenty three or no, it's twenty two. Again. They've all found homes, every single one of them, so there's there was talent there. It's gonna be it's gonna be interesting, especially the two Nebraska guys. But really, uh, this is the most I'm interested in tracking former Kentucky players just because it was such a big amount.
Speaker 2: How much does it matter that bush ham Dan the OC is in place? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it does matter. And look, he's a guy that's had success elsewhere and he's he's more of a proven, proven commodity than rich Skangerole ever was, and he was, and probably even Liam Cohen when Liam Cohen got here. So I think he deserves to have this year too, but we'll see. I think last year was very tough for him. I give him probably more of a pass than most people do, because he didn't pick a single player on that offense, right and except I can't even did they sign anyone after spring ball that played a role in that offense. I can't recall, So he literally had no say. I can't kill him for that. I just can't. Yeah, and then this year injuries. Yeah, this year they've signed four receivers, four offensive linemen, a running back, a quarterback. If they fail, it's on him.
Speaker 2: The one thing I think Billy will see out of that receivers room, perhaps in theory, would balance, which which would be a great strength.
Speaker 3: Yes, that would Well, just getting rid of this receiver culture, I think is the biggest thing that they need to do and kind of get back to the grittiness and the toughness at the big Blue Wall. I think embodied, but I feel like it's you know, there's gonna be some bias evaluating Bush Hampden because of all of the offensive coordinators that have come through Kentucky. So now we're at the point where Dick, we have to have continuity with somebody, yes, because they've had no continuity for such a long time. So it's a little unfair to think that, you know, or to really to evaluate Bush Hampden's job because he was going to get a second year unless they had won like maybe one game this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, this is a guy that he had in a thousand yard rusher every year. He is a coordinator. Before this year, he's always had a top rushing offense, and you're right, Billy, they have to get back to that. I'm not saying they need to go full twenty nineteen and run the ball every play, but they need to have the balance attack that is very on the run. And you know what, you can win still win in this era college football with that. Look at Notre Dame, like Riley Leonard has thrown for I think one hundred and thirty yards or less than all these playoff games. They're playing for a national championship next week.
Speaker 2: And as we get to their break, I saw I had my fingers on my keyboard and wanted to respond, but I saw a little back and forth on Twitter slash X people complaining about stoops in the offense, and then somebody he's never had a strong run game. I'm like, what are you smoking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we get back, there's a report on the Cowboys. It's very interesting, very interesting.
Speaker 2: They fired their coach.
Speaker 1: Oh who they are eyeing as their top Kenny Baby?
Speaker 3: Is it Dion?
Speaker 1: Come on down? Is that writer saying that's a report? He's a candidate? It's a report sort of. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has spoken with Colorado head coach. That's the story. Discussions expect to continue. Oh h crime is considered a top ended it though the Cowboys land interview others.
Speaker 3: He ain't going without his sons. Sorry, is Dallas going to move up and drafted?
Speaker 1: He already had giants cleats. That's the story.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And as we get to the break, who wins Ohio State or Notre Dame Ohio State?
Speaker 3: I want to root for Notre Dame. And that's saying a lot, because how did you get me to root for Notre Dame exactly? I think it's Ohio State.
Speaker 2: I think it's Ohio State. I think Notre Dame covers. I will root for Notre Dame me too. I was a Notre Dame fan as a kid. Lou Holtz got me off Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: And then uh, don't blame you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then after that I didn't care. After he left, I didn't much care. But what is it's like?
Speaker 1: Nine? Is that the nine and a half second biggest spreading of championship game and a half?
Speaker 2: You lay in nine and a half?
Speaker 3: No, No, I've take Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, you never know when a scoop and score is going to be the spreadbusters. All right, we'll come back and wrap up this edition of the State Wide BBI. A couple of minutes left here on the Big Blue Insider with Aaron and Billy Kentucky, Texas, A and M in most of these same stations tomorrow night. Wild Cats back in Rupperina on Saturday. So they should win both, Am I correct.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be you got to protect home court in this SEV, especially this year, So I think I don't. I won't say they're not must wins, but it'd be they do themselves a lot of favors and build up some really good will if they win both. And you know, it's an interesting schedule. They have where two home games, then they have their bye during the midweek next week, and then they go to Vandy and play Tennessee. So they're all kind of they're staying close to home the next two weeks.
Speaker 3: Uh, Buzz Williams and his three piece suit is going to be coming into Reperena and running on the maid that him and Mark Pulpe respect the arena that is Reperina.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm glad you brought his name up because one of the reasons the SEC has grown in terms of basketball stature and prowess is coaching, and he's.
Speaker 1: One of them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember when Greg's kank thanky thanky, thank you. I don't know where I was going with that. I know was stomping his feet about the NCAA tournament needing to expand because taxsas A and M and Buzz Williams went on that magical run after they lost eighteen two or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh they but he did what a conference commissioner should do.
Speaker 3: I guess. But he's also actively ruining the sport. But we could we could continue to talk about that other time. Yeah, expanding the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I thought you were talking about he's looking to ruin that event.
Speaker 3: Looking at Oh that's terrible, Well that that event is the sport.
Speaker 2: You're right, uh no, that that's criminal.
Speaker 3: And then nat oates after Buzz Williams so good coaching to your point, Well, and you.
Speaker 2: Know they're they're spending money on facilities, they're spending money on coaching, salaries, the staff members, things like that. So yeah, it's tough. And yeah, Kentucky fans demand that their team take zero steps track, even though everybody wants to be worre Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Get those Kentucky kids in exactly right, rent, No, see if Richie can play as well, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for billionaireon Dick Gabriel that said, good night from Lexington. Yes,