Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason this week covering Foundation season two episode three, King and Commoner.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacing Out.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing Foundation one episode at a time. Spoiler free. Foundation is currently available to stream on Apple TV. This is our first time watching a series, so we will not be watching ahead and therefore we won't have any spoiler section or any spoilers at all. May occasionally bring up some things from the books. This episode is being released on two different podcasts, so if you're listening via Spacing Out with Foundation, I invite you to check out our main channel, Spacing Out with BB and Jason, where we have covered other shows and movies such as Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Our, Flag Means Death, Alien, and more. Today we are talking about Foundation season two, episode three, King and Commoner. This originally aired on July twenty eighth, two twenty three, Written by lay Dana Jackson and Jane Esmondson and directed by David S. Goyer. In this episode, Lady Demerzil recruits General bell Rios from prison to investigate the Foundation, reuniting him with his husband gleywyn Heer before leading a fleet to the outer Reach, Harry, Gale, and Salvor visit UNA's world, where Harry's consciousness has transferred into an organic body. With the help of the mysterious Cali. While evading reactivated mining machines, they retrieve Harry's body and escape the planet. Meanwhile, huber Mallow steals the eye of Coral using teleportation technology. It's captured and sentenced to death, but out smarts his captors and escapes in the ship Polly.
Speaker 1: Five check. Did we like the episode overall?
Speaker 2: It was all over the place, but I liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, Sana show that likes to like focus on on one storyline. It's always jumping around. Yeah, but yet overall I'm liking it. It's bringing in more characters that are more interesting and saw a lot of things I'm not understanding, but still here for it. You have anything else to say about.
Speaker 2: It, I'm waiting until we go to the deep dive copy that.
Speaker 1: Trivia time. What facts or news could we uncover for King and Commoner?
Speaker 3: Last time talked a little bit about the writer Jane Espenson. We have another writer today. Lay Danna Jackson is known for the Old Man, which is ANTHX TV series starring Jeff Bridges and Raising Dion, so Netflix TV series about a child superhero. And he's also worked a lot with Spike Lee, including being his teaching assistant in n Yu from the books. I think last week, maybe it was two weeks ago bel Rios his name was mentioned. Now we actually meet him, and then the storyline about rescuing Hobert Mallow is the Roofs adaptation of one of the sections of the first novel, and he's a very different character than his book counterpart. The book version is a hardened trader turned politician who is always very serious, and the TV version, as we see, is a little more comic relief. That's all the trivia I have. So let's get into our discussion.
Speaker 1: Deep space dive. Let's break down some of our thoughts on the episode. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: So how about that internment camp? Huh yay, we're forced labor. You think your society is advanced, and so you see how the corporal punishment system operates. That's the real testament to your society. I think, how do you punish people. I think it's very interesting and not much changed in our human existence, so I should have changed in a fantasy, right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Don't have Trantur without the opposite on other worlds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well were they mining the cocaine? What was that?
Speaker 3: Something just piles.
Speaker 2: A white pouter? Yeah, baking soda? What was it?
Speaker 3: Not relevant?
Speaker 2: It's just random white shit, And it didn't seem like mining to me. Like when I think of mining, I either think of like strip mining, which is like the worst kind of mining, or.
Speaker 3: Because you have to strip while you're doing.
Speaker 2: It, Well that's not bad. No, it's because it like gets rid of good Earth. You're you're digging down past like the best layers of our like Earth's crust and like the soil and rich like plantable like usable soils, just to get to minerals and deposits that are below it. I don't know, though, I don't know how viable like coal mining, you know, like an area above a coal mine, I don't know how fruitful it could be either. Based on this show, it's like, you know, two feet thick and you're done. So I don't know if that's like enough for plants to find foothold for their root systems.
Speaker 3: We also saw that the other planet that Gale and then landed on that they had forget what they said. They did those machines like pulled everything useful out of the ground and that's why it was hollow like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they turned towards the people scary.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was interesting though, to see like a character that Empire didn't agree with and punished that now he needs him and he's like still being umpire about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it seems like he feared him more than was like needing to punish him, like you needed to keep him away because he had popularity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a popular person with who was probably like could have been a better leader than him, to be honest, But because they're so like committed to this like genetic line, there's no opportunity for better leadership. I'm sad that we didn't get to see what happened with him and his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess they couldn't fit everything into one episode.
Speaker 2: Jeez, But they seem to be able to fit him. Watching the to the gay couple reuniting and Cassine while he's being caressed by his robot stepmom. This show makes really weird choices. Yeah, when it comes to that robot lady and an empire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure why they're doing that. But lots of butts too, Oh yeah, lots of butts. Butts, but never a never a penis shadow. Never a penis shadow your or balls. Your balls don't have low enough for us to see anything between your legs, which to me doesn't make sense no at all, because I took a lot of like figure drawing classes, and testicles like are ever present even from the back, depending on the angle, you know. I thought it was kind of a power move for him to be like, no, I'm not going to shower and clean up fuck that. He made me this, so he has to sit with this, and that was like I really respected that. And even when he was like negotiating his like freedom, he's like, nah, nah, not just me, freedom for everybody here. And obviously that's not going to happen, but hopefully he did manage to get better working conditions for them. Yeah, I guess we just have to trust empire. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think I trust Empire. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that this is demersals kind of idea to bring him into this, and like she's kind of making decisions within the empire.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of her point of being like a seductress, right, She's probably tired of sitting on the sidelines and watching empires slowly turn the ship into the fucking iceberg. You know, like she can see it, even though she doesn't know psychohistory or whatever the fuck they called it, she can clearly see that there's a pattern here for this dumb ass to like do dumb ass shit. And she's finally stepping in and using emotional and physical manipulation to have a say in how things are run. And I feel like women have had to resort to this type of quote unquote manipulation because they're not seen as like leaders. And I don't know if this show really sees women as leaders in a way that's like impactful, because like it's kind of minor. But like when they were landing on that planet, Harry was like, let me land us and the girls just like let go of the reins and let Jesus take the wheel. And I'm like, that's very subtle and most people wouldn't recognize it, but it's just like to me, it's very overt, like let this white man, this older white man, take over the driving, let him have the front seat. And it's just like I don't.
Speaker 3: Know everything in their storyline, like Gale and Salvoard, like no power over anything happening. No, they're kind of they make one decision to leave and that doesn't work out. Yeah, And I mean there's one character I really don't like in this show. It is Harry Selden. And initially I thought like, well, that's fine because I know he's not going to be around very long. Like as a book reader, I knew like he kind of exits the story just the idea of him is out there. But she's like deeply entrenched in this. Yeah, and now now he's a person again. Yeah, so now he's a full on character. Yeah. Yeah, he's just so arrogant.
Speaker 2: And I don't like the way that he behaves around these women of color, how he's like choking them and like and like manipulating them and like misleading them in a lot of ways, like oh, I said it was gonna be five hundred meters horizontally, like you asshole, And she didn't bring enough water, like you are not a corporal bean right now. You don't realize how fucked up that is that you didn't tell her. Maybe you should bring an extra water bottle. It's gonna be a long trip and she's got to come back alone. I'm interested to see how that lady in that cave kind of comes into play, what her role is other than turning water into wine or whatever she did to make him a person. Very interesting. I think she's one of the ladies that he was like talking to when he was stuck in that prism.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like I don't know what her role is or what she does or I don't know. It's very mysterious, and I kind of like that. Usually when there's a mystery in this show, I fucking hate it.
Speaker 3: And according to Gail, that woman should be long dead as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so should she. So shut up, Gail, who are you to talk?
Speaker 3: Go talk to your daughter some really having parental issues.
Speaker 2: Well, she just got like informed that she's gonna die. Trying to deal with her mortality is kind of hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting that, like there's two kind of weird, omniscient things happening where the prime Radiant is making a decision for them to like to go to this place and do this thing that gives Harry a body, and that's not how the psychohistory thing is supposed to work. And they all acknowledge that. So we're like why how did this happen? And then also on terminus the same thing, they're saying, like psychohistory shouldn't know about one individual person. It's all about like, you know, the movement of massive mass. Yeah, yeah, so it's calling for hober Mallow and like how does he even know this single person exist?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Maybe that teleport device is somehow vital or something, because that seems like a really important invention. Uh and uh, that guy was interesting. I did like him. I liked how he's kind of like finessing that leader and that scene where he was getting tied down to that like Pike thing. Yeah, that feels like somebody's like it's a mixture of like Nazi Germany and like the Jim Crows House where there were lyncheans and public and stuff, and it's just like again, like this idea of corporal punishment is very prominent in this world, Like what do you do with your criminals or perceived criminals because in both of these cases, like it didn't seem like the person had a proper trial. It didn't seem like they really hurt anybody, and they didn't to me, like whatever that rock he's like, they could have just taken the rock back and led it, told him like you're banned from this planet and called it good. But they're like, no, we're gonna strap your ass down and put you in this cool hoodie.
Speaker 3: Because you have to wear the thing with a target on you. It would miss.
Speaker 2: No what if it did miss? What if he like, you know when you sit down and your shirt goes up a little, what was like the target was way too high and it was off target on his belly button or something.
Speaker 3: I think it was big enough to kill himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That so we see them execute one guy first. He didn't get final words or no, they're like.
Speaker 2: Prisoner number one execute boom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what it reminded me of. You know when you click a pen and the little pen comes down, that's what it gave you click click, and then they retracts and they use the same rusted point for the next guy. Very medieval, very Spanish inquisition, very Catholic. I don't know. It was uh. I think that was the liveliest scene in the whole episode. And then one thing that did bother me was when he gave his speech and he's like making new friends. Then he looks at the girl with the blue eyes that shouldn't have blue eyes because she's a brown person, and it just feels like she's an alien or something. I don't know, Like those gotta be contacts, right, they look so scary on her, like freaky. But I are they trying to like do a love connection there? I don't he when they do that where it's like, oh, well you're a pretty young woman and he's a handsome young man and so about a being a bad a boom love try it love interest?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because he did like do that thing where he landed on top of her and there's an awkward moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so lame. It's so lame. And I thought she was a woman of the cloths. I thought there was like a abstinence or something there. What is she doing? She's not serious about her magic Mojo jojo red religion.
Speaker 3: Rules about that, I guess, and also spreading the good news of the Foundation and then and.
Speaker 2: Like she injected him with that shit that sobers you up. Right, That's what that was. That's what it looked like.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if he's just started throwing up, I'm like, he must have been high off his mind.
Speaker 3: Then. Yeah, he definitely brings a little different energy to the show. Yeah, he feels like he could be out of Was it that new Dungeon and Dragons movie?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah with Crispine. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he gave that energy. I thought you were gonna say, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy maybe a little, a little Ford prefect. I'm still on the fence about this show. I know a lot of people really really love it, but there's just like certain elements that feel very like microaggressions, Like things that are so subtle that somebody wouldn't notice them unless they are hyper tuned to like stuff like that. Also, like the scene with the two men reuniting when he finally cleaned himself up, it took forever for them to embrace and kiss, and then they didn't let you see the real kiss. You had to watch like a second hand version of the kiss. So that was also very like I don't know, like it felt weird. It also felt weird that we were watching them kiss through Empire's eyes, Like I don't know, it's giving Empire like really pervate vibes. And I know he's not supposed to be likable, but I thought we agreed that he's not the villain, So what is he? There seems to be like a higher level threat like approaching, So what is the role of Empire now, Like it's like, what is the failing government like grasping to like survive flailing? Yeah, but what's the significance of that? Whenever we have bigger fish to fry, one government failing. I mean there's got to be hundreds of factions right in a universe. I'm interested to see what the General finds in the outer Reach and how he approaches it because I feel like, I don't know why, but I feel like I can trust him. Maybe it's because I saw him as an enslaved person who was helping other enslaved people, and you don't see that in this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a quick shortcut to be like, hey, this is a good guy. Yeah, and he's he's loyal to the Empire, but he seems to make it clear that like is because he actually cares about the people.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think he cares about the role that he plays in a larger society. Like he understands Empire is our faction right now and so and I made a commitment to serve the public that you serve. So it's not like a commitment to Empire himself. It's it's a commitment to the people, which I completely understand. Yeah, Like, I may not like who you are, what you represent, but at the end of the day, you are the government for all of these people, and those people all need protection, and you're not good at giving it to them, So I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Empires two disconnected from the people to care about them.
Speaker 2: I feel like he has no idea what the people are like. If he sees like the way that he sees the people is probably like the ones who are trying to kill him. They're the ones to control. They don't to him, they symbolize like his ability to control. And so I think he doesn't understand that the people can Well maybe he does now because he hadn't for a long time. The people can also be his downfall. It's like that scene in the movie A Bugs Life where the grasshoppers are like telling the bugs like the ants specifically, like that they work for them. But then the ants realize, we're like way bigger, Like there's twenty of you and one hundred of us. We can overpower you, we can say no. And I feel like Empire doesn't see that, and that's I think that's gonna be the cause of his downfall ultimately, is him not seeing the power in people becaus little as they may be together, they can form like strong opposition. And I think that's why the Foundation is finally seen as a threat. He didn't realize he gave them power by putting them so far out of reach. Yeah, he thought he was being clever by putting them all the way out there, you.
Speaker 3: Know, because as his power is drinking and like they're losing the outer planets and the Foundation is out there on the outer rim scooping them up with their their door to door Bible salesman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very interesting. I do. I do see the lure of that kind of ideology of saying, like, you know, do not trust these men in high places because they don't have you your best interest in mind. Like I like that, and I think it's interesting that they're exploring that. I don't know, I'm interested to see more, for sure. I feel like the show's finally peaking my interest in a way that's not annoyance.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good. One more interesting thing to note when Harry and Gale were walking across the sand, that he wasn't leaving footprints. I thought that was a nice little detail.
Speaker 2: I thought it was weird that he wouldn't just jump from one position to a next like a like a mirage, you know, I mean he could have. It would have been cool if he did, just to show how inhuman he is, you know. I think that was too subtle to say he doesn't leave footprints. It would have been funnier if he was like standing next to Gale and then all of a sudden, he's like twenty foot of hoever and he's like, come on, bitch, hurry up, and she's like sweating, you know, Like, I don't know, it would have been fun. I feel like they could have played with that more, because, especially if they were gonna turn him human, they should have like definitely played up his inhumanness way more. Because the way they did it was super subtle, and if you weren't watching the well like close enough, you would have missed it that she was like sweating her balls off and he was still clean and pristine and that white shirt.
Speaker 3: I don't know. He's been in human for the last like several episodes, jumping around the ship all the time. Yeah, yeah, but I would have liked to seen it in the desert. Any other thoughts, then let's talk about an astral queen.
Speaker 1: Astral Queen was the stand out character in the episode.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it to that guy that they mentioned before they fried, that homeboy forget his name, global Marshmallow.
Speaker 3: Before they fried.
Speaker 2: Remember in the last episode, the last thing you saw was that man get.
Speaker 3: Is generated marshall over mouth Yeah yeah, also known as Marshmallow from henceforth. I mean he was on my mind too for this is because he was such a dea, yeah, and he was one step ahead of everyone.
Speaker 2: And he gave that energy that you're not getting from this show, Like this show desperately needed some sort of like like a lightheartedness.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Like I mentioned in trivia that the book version of him is very hard and serious, and it'd be very be another dull character yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm already tired with Gail and how their homegirl having really sad, boring basic conversations about the future. Uh, it's still boring, Like I'm falling asleep whenever those two talk. There's no chemistry whatsoever there, And I'm really sad because that's supposed to be mother daughter. I don't know why they did that to themselves. They should have put them in a room to see, like, do these people like seem like they're related, because they would have been great if they had like a mannerism or a little twitch or a little something that was slightly similar. I don't know, but yeah, I like cobor Marshmallow.
Speaker 3: All right, two votes for Marshmallow. I believe that's all we have for this episode. Then the next one, well, the episode four titled where the stars are scattered thinly and that's just out of space, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, thinly. Maybe it's like the outer reach.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe the edges of the galaxy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right them enjoy the piece.
Speaker 1: Yep, thank you for spacing out with BB and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. Remember, you can contact us through email or social media. Next time we will cover Foundation season two, episode four, where the stars are scattered thinly