Speaker 1: Back on the Big one seven hundred WLW. It's twelve o eight on this Friday afternoon. I'm Dan Carroll in four the great American Bill cunning Always glad to be here in for Bill cunning I'm always glad to be here behind this microphone no matter what time of the day or night it is. But when I'm sitting in for Bill Cunningham, it's a little something special and just to be part of this great radio station is as a special thing as well. Joining me now is another a very special individual from ESPN fifteen thirty and a guy who always answers the bell whenever I ask him to be on. It's the one and only Moegor and Mo. How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm good? Dan? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? I'm good. Are you going to be traveling to Las Vegas when when you see starts the Crown Tournament?
Speaker 2: I will not be in laws. I would love to go, but I will not be making the trip to the first ever college basketball Crown Not.
Speaker 1: Have you learned anything about that particular tournament?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be interesting though the way it unfolds, and obviously from a Cincinnati perspective, but you know, the tournament's going to start fifteen days after selection Sunday. The NCAA tournament will have its entire first four rounds play out before the College Basketball Crown begins and the transfer portal opens up on Monday. And so I think it's going to be really interesting to see how this tournament works from the standpoint of teams putting our schools putting teams on the floor, and maybe being shorthanded players opting out. You know, we see this all the time in bowl games in college football, and I suspect the Bearcats when they played the Paul on April first. My suspicion is that some players who are on the team this year will not be on the floor for the Bearcats in Las Veguess. But there is money at stake here. The rumor is that there's three hundred thousand dollars to be split among players on the winning team. So you know, there's obviously a little bit of a financial inducement. We'll see if that can tell some players who ordinarily might opt out to go ahead and decide to play.
Speaker 1: Three hundred grand to be split amongst the winning team. If you would have told me ten or fifteen years ago that something like that was going to happen, I would have never believed it. It is absolutely amazing at times that we are living.
Speaker 4: In right now.
Speaker 2: It is and it's taking a lot of people, both inside and outside the sport a lot of time to get to get used to this era. But yeah, I actually think nil is why a lot of players chose to play in bowl games. My argument for years in college football was if you want players to play in bowl games, give them appearances. I think we are headed more and more down that road with each passing year, into a large degree with each passing day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we talk specifically about Xavier tonight, I was thinking about this the other day, about how much buzz I feel like there is around Xavier being in the tournament this year, and I was thinking to myself, you know, I'm old enough to remember you certainly are. I think most people listening to us are old enough to remember a time when being in the NCAA Tournament was par for the course. It was not unusual to have Xavier U see maybe NKU and you know, and by extension, the people are the teams that people care out about around here Dayton, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, teams like that. Every year, year in and year out. It seemed like all those teams were in the tournament. But now that we have Xavier is really the only local teamic. You know, Louisville was one and done, Kentucky's in. But there's so many teams that seem like it was normal for them to be in the tournament every year are not in the tournament, and it seems like that is becoming the norm, and making the tournament is the exception. Do you see that as just a cyclical thing or is this sort of the new normal we're living in when it comes to local teams making the Big Dance.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you have to answer that sort of on a school by school basis, but I mean, you're right. For a few decades, it felt like, you know, every March Cincinnati, Xavier, Kentucky, Indiana, Louisville for most of that time, Ohio State oftentimes Dayton in the nineties at least to Miami pretty much every other year. Yeah, you know, you would get all those schools in the Big Dance, and you know, even from a Xavier perspective, this is just their second n Tournaments in twenty eighteen, obviously the second and three years with Sean Miller. They made the Sweet sixteen two years ago. Cincinnati is going into a very, very, very important year for Wes Miller where it has been six years without the Bearcats making the NCAA tournament. You think about like Bob Huggins took him fourteen consecutive years, Mick Cronin took that nine consecutive years. No matter who they had on their team, no matter what you thought about the direction of the program, they were in the tournament every single year for the better part of three decades. Obviously, that hasn't been the case now in a while. I think you look at certain programs. You know, Indiana's going through a coaching change right now. Kentucky, I'm a huge Mark Pope fan. They've obviously been mainstays in the tournament. But let's be honest, it's been a few years since you've talked about Kentucky on a national level in terms of getting the final fours. You know, Kentucky hasn't made a Final four now in ten years. Can Mark Pope change that this season? Can he change it anytime in the short term? But You're right, you do think of those years where it felt like every March you knew there were going to be four or five schools from this area in the Big Dance, and recently that hasn't been the case so much.
Speaker 1: You talked to Sean Miller on a regular basis, and I don't think there's any question that he is extremely gratified to be in the tournament this year, especially, I think more so for for some of the players that he's had in the program for this amount of time. And he talked about, how, you know, several of these guys are going to end their career in the NCAA tournament. He was very happy about that. And you know, I look at Xavier and we look at the game that they had last night, and that game, to me, looked like both versions of the Xavier team that we saw earlier this year. In that first half, nothing was going their way. They weren't gtting the calls, there was early foul trouble, there was all this stuff going on, and you know, they're down by eleven late in the first half and wound up being down by eight in the first half, and you're thinking, man, this is not going good at all, but then in the second half, I think we saw the Xavier team that we've seen the latter part of the season where they were able to run off four or five six wins in a row. So it do you have any feel for how they're going to show up tonight?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a really interesting game because I think what Xavier itsels at, which is playing at a fast pace, playing a high scoring game. I think this can be that sort of game. I think Illinois from a defensive perspective, is going to have its hands full with a jager team. You know, Marcus Foster was the guy who kind of lit it up for him in the game the other night against Texas, but they've got a lot of scoring options. We've seen what Ryan Conwell can do. You know, he was awesome in the Big East Tournament against Marquette. Zach Fremantle down the stretch over the final five to six seven games of the season might have been the best player in the Big East. I think where Xavier's going to have its hands full is number one rebounding. Illinois is the best offensive rebounding team in the Big Ten. They're not a good outside shooting team, but they get a lot of their own misses. Xavier's going to have to contend with that. And I think the other thing is Illinois is really good at getting to the free throw line, number two in the Big Ten in free throw attempts, and so the game the other night, I actually felt like Xavier was in a pretty good place at halftime. They were down by eight, but they had a lot of foul trouble they had to contend with in the first half, and yet they still remained in striking distance. How's the game called tonight? Is Illinois going to be able to take advantage of its ability to constantly get to the free throw line. If the answer is yes, Musketeers are going to have their hands full. But it's not a great defensive team, Illinois. It's not a team that's going to turn you over a bunch, And so I think Xavier should score. The big questions I have are about Xavier's defense putting Illinois the free throw line, and then the fighting a line on on the offensive glass. They are great at grabbing a ball off the rim of the backboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think he talked about Zach Freemantle and every telecast you watch every every pregame show, every analysis of Xavier sort of starting ends and starts with Zach Fremantle. And it seems that, you know, six years, this guy's got, he's got wearing a Xavier uniform. It seems like he's up to the task. Though, it seems like he's gotten to that level where you know him happen to put that team on his back from time to time is not too much to ask for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a lot of individual players who have stepped up as the season is unfolded at precisely the right time. And you know, I think one of the keyston Xavier's team. You talk about Zack Fremantle, you're gonna hear the name Dalen Swain a lot tonight. The final ten minutes of the game on Thursday, I'm sorry, on Wednesday, Sean Miller put him on Trey Johnson, who's an NBA lottery pick, and I think over those final ten minutes, I think Trey Johnson scored just one time. He to me is a key tonight because of what he can do on the defensive end. But you're right, and not only it is how Zach Fremantle has played tear down the stretch for the Musketeers this season. That's taking advantage of him getting his first shot at the NCAA Tournament because he wasn't healthy two years ago. He is healthy now. Sean Miller has talked about this pretty extensively, how happy he is for a guy like Zack who has been you know, in this era, for someone to be a part of one program for their entire career for a six year stretch is kind of the exception and no longer the rule, and Zach and the Musketeers are being rewarded for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they've got if they win tonight, they've got most likely Kentucky on the other side of the bracket. I don't get a sense that that Sean Miller is going to allow these guys to be looking ahead at all. That there's no way this team is even close to being good enough to not paying attention to what's right in front of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's the NCAA Tournament. It's one and done, and so you cannot look ahead. That said, I think the Kentucky game, if Xavier is lucky enough to win tonight and if Kentucky beats Troy, I think Xavier has a very good chance to go to the Sweet sixteen, because as good of a job as Mark Pope has done with the Wildcats this year, they're not a great defensive team, and they've got all sorts of health issues. You're going to hear the name Lamont Butler a lot in since he hurt his shoulder. He hasn't been the same, and that Kentucky team, from a defensive perspective, which isn't great to begin with, hasn't been close to the same. So yeah, I don't think it's a matter of looking ahead as much as it is if you're Xavier and you can win tonight. That Kentucky team is formidable, but hardly unbeatable, and I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that we're talking about the Monkies in the Sweet sixteen next week. But in order for that to happen, they have to take care of business against a an Illinois team that was very much hot and cold this year, but down the stretch played very very well.
Speaker 1: After what we've seen with the play in games and then this first round yesterday, is there an argument to be made that the SEC probably didn't really need to have fourteen teams in the tournament, well maybe.
Speaker 2: But I guess I would argue who should have gotten it instead? You know, Texas was one of the last four in. Texas certainly acquitted itself well in that game against Xavier. Obviously, the Mustardeers came back and won. But a story in college basketball this year, The biggest story in college basketball this year was that the dominant of the SEC, where the top of that conference was so good. And you know, you can make an argument, well, maybe Texas shouldn't have been in, but then who you know, A lot focus, a lot of folks focused on West Virginia getting snubbed and being on the outside looking in, But they lost their Big twelve tournament game against a team that won three games all season in the league, And so I can make the same argument that West Virginia didn't deserve to be in the SEC. This season was awesome. I don't really use one off games in the NCAA Tournament as a referendum on any league. And if you want to say the SEC shouldn't have gotten as many teams in, I have yet to hear a compelling case for a team that was excluded why they should have been included in the field of sixty eight.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good. Sounds good to me. Where where does a guy like Moeger enjoy these games on TV? You're posting up at uh uh, one of our great sponsors, post it.
Speaker 2: Up at the Holy Grail, my home away from home in March.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby, you gotta love it. How does how do you prepare yourself for the Opening Day parade? And I'm not going to say filling the shoes of Jim Scott, but taking that same position that used to be held by our beloved Jim Scott.
Speaker 2: Well, in terms of filling jim shoes, which are impossible to fill, my only role was has been to basically be what Jim was, which was the spokesperson for the event. Obviously on Opening Day, I've got multiple broadcasts to be a part of, so i can't participate in the parade. But nobody, nobody loved Opening Day, and nobody loved the parade more than Jim Scott. And you know this is going to be the first one without him since nineteen sixty eight. It was awesome last year that you know, well Jim was was dealing with and fighting als, he still got a chance to be a part in it. Was obviously not able to walk, but he was still able to smile and wave and connect with people and you know, essentially say goodbye to the city. So it's it's for me at least, and I think for a lot of it's going to be very strange having Opening Day with Jim Scott not a part of it. And as awesome of an event as the Friendly Market Opening Day parade is, and it is terrific, Uh, it's it's not the same without Jim. And I think I speak for everybody and saying I badly wish that he was going to be here and be a part of it on on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Well, and I just want to I just want to tell you publicly that the way you have remembered Jim Scott, the way you've honored him, and the way you've paid tribute to him and his life and times and what he's meant to you over the years has been has been a beautiful thing to listen to and to to behold in in those parts that we were able to. So I just want to I want to thank you for that and and uh and commend you for the way that that you've gone about and done that. I think it's uh, it's really probably one the best things about being associated with Jim Scott and with you and all the people around here at iHeartMedia, that that that's happened and you've just done a beautiful job representing him and what he's meant to this community.
Speaker 2: Well, that's very kind of you to say that is the only time anybody will put my name in the same sentence as Jim Scott. But you know, for for a lot of us, man, for a lot of us who you know, kind of broke in during a certain period of time. You know, Jim took care of us, as you know, twenty year old kid when I started working with him and didn't know anything, and one might argue I still don't know anything, but God knows, he tried to teach me a lot and really had a lot of influence in our business on on so many of us. And obviously that influence, you know, really was exerted all throughout the city. But for those of us who had a chance to work with him, those are who had a chance to have a personal relationship with him, and a few people in my life as influential as him and I you know we all miss him. Yeah, but I'll miss him a little bit more on opening day.
Speaker 1: All right, are you on fifteen thirty this afternoon?
Speaker 2: I am at the Holy Grail this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so go there and get a selfie with mo. Are you available for photographs?
Speaker 2: We'll negotiate what it.
Speaker 1: Will cost, but yes, there you go. You got thrown an il deal going on. Moegg, you're the best. Thanks for the time, brother, I appreciate it. Great talking to you. We'll do it again before too long. And the one and Only Mowegar of ESPN fifteen thirty twelve twenty five. Dan Carroll in for Bill Cunningham on seven hundred WW. All right back on the Big One, seven hundred W l W. Dan Carroll in for Bill Cunningham as we roll on till three o'clock this afternoon. I was thinking the other day and looking at what's going on around us, and you've got leftists and those who hate Donald Trump just going crazy in this country. Of course, the everything Elon Musk, everything Tesla is under attack. You've got swatting situations going on. You've got all kinds of liberals performing different various meltdowns on social media and all the rest of it, and I thought to myself, you know, these people are complaining so much about their rights being infringed and all the terrible things that are happening under Donald Trump. It made me think about some of the things that I saw during the campaign, and so I reached out to Rachel Seatach over at Cincinnati Right to Life and she said, you know what, I can't make it on Friday, but my executive director, Laura's Treatment can, And so Laura's Treatment, the executive director of Cincinnati Right to Life, is my guest today on seven hundred WLW. And Laura, it's great to have you on the show. How are you today.
Speaker 4: I'm doing really well on this beautiful sunny Cincinnati Friday, basketball madness going on, and we're just too really well at Cincinnati Right to Life.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you taking time out from your basketball watching to join us on the show this afternoon. Let me ask you this. I remember during the campaign that you had all kind of women who said they were going to move out of the country, who dressed up in costumes like The Handmaid's Tale, which I don't get the reference. I've never watched that show. They were talking about how their reproductive rights were going to be taken away if Donald Trump got into pro you know, got into the Oval office, that there were going to be camps and registrations and all these horrible things happening to women all across our country. And so I wanted to ask you, as someone who may have their their finger on the pulse of this, have you seen any of these detention centers? Have you seen any registers created? You know, we're women who are pregnant have to go and register their pregnancy with the federal government. And have you noticed any rights that are being taken away from women by this current administration? Noticed any of that? No?
Speaker 4: I hope Dan, you and I both know that the LESS always uses extreme inflammatory language and propositions when they're trying to make their really ridiculous pro death points, and especially they use inflammatory language when they're trying to be able to continue to execute preborn children in mothers' wombs and sell them the why that abortion is healthcare. So it was all theatrics, but you have to remember, Dan, also, our organization does exist protect life from womb to tomb. So we would be happy if abortion ended federally and at the state level, of course, but we certainly are not advocating for women to be punished. And Handmaid's Tale, I don't watch that show either, so I never get the reference when women are they're using that, yes as well, but you know, you do have to remember that Cincinnati Rights to Life was founded. You're in Cincinnati. We were the foundational prol like organization in the world. A lot of people forget that that in nineteen seventy three, in March, just two months after Roe became in our constitution the right for a woman to execute her unborn, her preborn son or daughter. That doctor Wilkie was a prophet for our times and founded Cincinnati Right to Life, and then it inspired all the organizations around the world. He founded Ohio Right to Life, National Right to Life. So, of course we carry on his legacy. And you and I both know that Donald Trump has done some really great things since he got in office just not even quite two months ago. But we want even more done for the unborn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know we when I, of course I was a little bit tongue in cheek about all these terrible things that were supposed to happen to women, but it makes the point though, that they use these absurd arguments to further their cause, and this is nothing new for those on the left. This is nothing new for those who support the pro abortion position. But it must make your job that much more difficult because you have to counter. You have to or at least you have to spend time countering these arguments that are completely false and just made up out a whole cloth.
Speaker 4: Many times, you're absolutely right, it does take time, but that's why we exist, and we have to remember the biggest lie of all that abortion is not healthcare. No woman grows up saying, oh, I want to get pregnant and then execute my preborn child and not give my child life. And so we do spend time. But that's part of the battle, you know. This is a battle between good and evil. It's the soul of our nation, it's the future of our nation. This country is ridiculously killing too many preborn children. Obviously, every abortion to us is horrible, wrong for any reason. But to be able to use birth control as a system with abortion, it's just ridiculous that that's what many many women do, and it's tragic. Dan, I'm not sure if you realize, but Cincinnati Rights to Life. Since the loss of Issue one with the election in twenty twenty three, we have deployed full time sidewalk advocates in front of the Planned Parenthood on Auburn Avenue in Cincinnati, and we are counting six hundred cars or more weekly entering the Planned Parenthood in Cincinnati. It's a bloodbath, it's disgusting, and it's an operation that we have now become an abortion mecca site in Cincinnati with the southernmost abortion facility. And none of this has anything to do with Donald Trump and him getting elected for us, obviously, this goes back to twenty three when we lost our Issue Live and our hope with Donald Trump getting elected is that he will defund Planned Parenthood and we're looking for that, we're praying for that, we're working for that, and in the meantime, until something like that happens, we're out on the sidewalk to assist women and tell them the truth. No woman is smiling entering Planned Parenthood. They're all miserable, they're sad, and we are providing them the truth that there's a pregnancy center down the street or maybe in their local neighborhood. There's three pregnancy tests and options and help in this community just at a high rate that really really is one of the highest rate of pregnancy help in the country. So that's what we're doing to counter these lies and these statements. And I also Dan had really big news to share with the community as well. We knew that our work at Cincinnati Right to Life had to change and had to improve and had to increase when abortion became a shrine in Ohio's constitution. People need to realize that right now in Ohio, abortion is available on demand through late term pregnancy for women. And we decided the only place that we could meet this head on because chipping away at this law at the Statehouse and then obviously with the federal government, and then we can reach women on the sidewalk, our offices needed to be in close proximity to Planned Parenthood. We've been located in North College Hill since the early eighties in a building that doctor Wilkie and his beloved wife Barb purchased for the organization, and we decided to move and we have moved to Auburn Avenue right down the street from Planned Parenthood. We moved ten days ago.
Speaker 1: So you are literally in the belly of the beast, so to speak.
Speaker 4: It's an enormous way. And we have a view of Planned Parenthood from our offices, so we can see what's going on. And as the blood path means the blood bath takes place there, we have to remember that it's only because of the cooperation of multiple organizations to coordinate the cleanup of the mess of dismember children that are happening here on Auburn Avenue. You know, we see dan we see industrial drain clogging trucks enter Planned Parenthood, we see industrial cleaners, we see a medical waste operations leave with massive red cartons of human remains that they label as medical waste that they drive to Indiana to incinerate. And when you have that many abortions per week in Cincinnati, the Queen City, and this beautiful neighborhood several blocks from where a president of the United States was born, there is something wrong with our culture and our society, and Cincinnati Right to Life is here to speak truth, speak love, and offer options of help and hope. That abortion is below women and it is not healthcare. It is the taking of an innocent life, and it's wrong and it's terrible and it's harming our country in a massive way.
Speaker 1: You know, isn't it interesting how we always hear the argument that you know, those of us Liam, they they always want to point to people like me and you who argue the particular side that we argue that we're the Neanderthals. We're the ones that you know that that are not I guess you know, with the current times, and they're the ones that are always talking about how they're the ones on the side of science. You know, they're the ones who are on the side of truth. But yet, strangely, when it comes to this issue, when it comes to abortion, there's there's no mention of science, there's no mention of the medical advances. There's you know, they don't want to they don't want to deal with any of the medical realities that we have in the year of twenty twenty five. So it's a it's always about choice and freedom of this and freedom of that, and bodily autonomy and all the rest of it. But when it comes to and you know, the most obvious example is that you know, when it comes to cracking down on everyone during the Wuhan virus that you know, they didn't mind you know, taking advantage in having other people tell you, you know, that you had to have a vaccine, that you had to you know, put a mask on, you had to do all these things with your body. They didn't mind telling you then, But when it comes to this argument, they sort of put all they conveniently put those arguments aside.
Speaker 4: You are absolutely correct, and we know that science tells us that life begins at fertilization. There was a study out of the University of Chicago where they pulled scientists and physicians when does life begin? And ninety percent and these were agnostic, apist non believers, and they all said life begins at conception, and that is that's from scientists. So you're right, why don't they follow the science when it comes to life? And you know, we know that the culture has gone and really unfortunate direction. I guess really the past fifty years beginning with you know, the sexual revolution, and women are just still buying into this lie that somehow having the right to dismember, poison, or suffocate your own son or daughter is freedom. And the tragic mess that happens after that with women with post traumatic stress disorder, grief and fertility all the side effects and relationship problems that come from choosing that and being sold that lie. You know, we have to remember that over sixty percent of women that have been pulled after they've had an abortion say that they were coerced into an abortion. If they had had the help, the love, the truth, and the support, they would have chosen differently. So and we see that Dan on the sidewalk as our sidewalk advocates stand and witness car after car after car go in there, one hundred and twenty five cars a day. Dan at the Planned Parenthood on Auburn Avenue, fifty percent from out of state. The biggest state we see is Kentucky, and then we see a lot of Indiana and Tennessee. So these states are not abortion free. Bluegrass babies are still being executed, but tragically it's on buckeye soil, not on bluegrass soil.
Speaker 5: Sows.
Speaker 4: Your babies are.
Speaker 1: Still being executed. It's absolutely it's beyond tragic. I mean, I don't think there's really a word to describe it. But the alternative is just how many blocks did you There's a couple of blocks away from my plant, two.
Speaker 4: Blocks away, I have two blocks.
Speaker 2: I have a view.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a view of Planned Parenthood, uh inside my office building. And we are here so we can spend more time and we can witness all the tragedy and be here at support, and we continue to advocate to our lawmakers and to our community that until we all stand more locked and arms, this tragedy is going to continue to take place in Ohio. But Dan, we have great news out of Manhattan, the largest flagship planned parenthood in America, where Margaret Sanger herself began her great, just horrible, horrible industry of selling the lie of abortion to women. The Manhattan Planned Parenthood is closed.
Speaker 1: It's done.
Speaker 4: They're not dismembering or decapitating unborn children there anymore. Thank God for that, and thank God for that. And if in liberal New York they can shut down that depth center, we can do it here in Ohio. We can do it here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Lauren Streetman, let me ask you this, if a woman who is it doesn't matter how far along her pregnancy she is, if she is of a mind to go to Planned Parenthood and have an abortion, if that woman would by chance stop by your facility first before she goes to Planned Parenthood and she walks in there and she's obviously pregnant. You know, she doesn't feel like she has any other eyes. What is that woman going to experience when she walks in to the Cincinnati Right for Life office if she if a woman goes in in that condition and is struggling with making.
Speaker 4: That decision, well, first she's going to experience love. She's going to see her smiles and our joy and our congratulations, and then we're going to listen to her because she probably does have real concerns. Women's concerns are oftentimes are valid while they're upset, but it's always a great idea to have a baby. I've been helping women for eighteen years. I've met women living out of cars and in really difficult situations, and when they choose life, somehow they're empowered. That's where that comes from. It does not come from death. Empowerment doesn't We're not set up fully as a pregnancy center. But the great news is a block less than a block from us is this brand new, beautiful women's care center right here on Auburn Avenue.
Speaker 2: So then we will.
Speaker 4: Continue our friendship with her by walking her over in person and innering her to our wonderful neighbors, and she will get a free pregnancy test, free ultrasound, and they will take over from there with her and help her build the life that she needs to be able to choose life and choose it abundantly and support her with everything car seats, cribs, diapers, parenting classes, oftentimes women you know, they might be seeking job, new housing. They have all the resources to direct women so that they're able to have a wonderful pregnancy and then be able to give birth and support her even for years, years upon years after that. It's a lie that we only care about women, only care about the baby, I mean when she's pregnant. That's just not true. I still have real strong relationships with women that I met fifteen years ago and help them into a life choice. Some of their children are now in high school. So that's one of the big wives of the abortion industry that that's the only thing we care about. But this new pregnancy center across the street from us is here, and we're just really closing in on Planned Parenthood and their death operation and the darkness and the lies that they sell women. And Cincinnati can do better than this. People should come here. For King's Island, the Zoo, Reds Games are beautiful city. They should not be coming to Cincinnati to execute their son or daughter through an abortion decision.
Speaker 1: Well, Laura Streetman seven hundred WLW has a huge signal. There may be someone who's driving up from Kentucky or Tennessee or driving through Indiana right now, headed to Cincinnati for this very purpose. And someone may be listening to our conversation right now. And if you are headed to the Planned Parenthood on Auburn Avenue, just go a couple of blocks down the street, stop in. That's say hello right at Cincinnati Right for Life and you're on your underno obligation, there's and just say, at least let someone hear your story and you may have a different outcome. And you know, a year, two years, ten years from now, someone may thank us. But Laura's treatment we got to run. Great having you on this afternoon. Congratulations on the new office. And I know it's a huge uphill battle for you and everyone associated with Right to Life, but keep up the great work and all the best to you.
Speaker 4: Thank you. There's nothing we'd rather be doing. We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Dan all right, Lauras Streatman, the executive director of Cincinnati Right to Life. It is twelve to fifty five on the Home of the Reds, seven hundred WLW, seven hundred WLW. It's one o eight on this Friday afternoon. Dan Carroll in for the great American Bill Cunningham. Always glad to be here, and glad you are here as well. Always glad to welcome in. This guest is a he's an academic, he's an entrepreneur, just a really smart guy historian. His latest book is Rediscovering America, a number one bestseller. And Scott Powell of the Discovery Institute, it is great to have you back again on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Well, Dan, it's an honor to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, Donald Trump put out his executive order that begins the process of dismantling the Department of Education. And so this country is on the verge of a major debate about this, and I guess we've been sort of having an ongoing debate about this. But some of the things that Donald Trump talked about was math and reading scores for thirteen year old thirteen year olds at the lowest level in decades, six and ten fourth graders nearly three quarters of eighth graders are not proficient in math, seven and ten fourth and eighth graders are not proficient in reading. Standardized test scores have remained flat for decades. The United States student ranked twenty eight out of thirty seven OECD members in math. And we've spent more than three trillion dollars Scott Powell on education in this country. So I think this is a move on behalf of Trump that addresses a couple of of the biggest problems that we have in this country. And you've spent a lot of time recently writing about the debt that we're in. But the other problem, the other major problem that we have is just the absolutely abysmal state of public education in the United States of America.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Really, the public schools have been weaponized really against good citizenship, against love and patriotism for our country, against almost all good things. To be honest with you, we drove God out of this, you know, out of the culture. We drove God out of the schools in nineteen sixty two, taking prayer out of school. But let's put this issue in a big context, a simple, big context for the audience. Prior to the Department of Education being established in nineteen seventy nine by Jimmy Carter. The debate to establish it started in seventy seven, but it wasn't finally voted on and approved until seventy nine. But prior to that, the American school system public school system ranked in the top six of all so called OECD countries, you know, the Advanced industrialized countries. Our schools were top ranked. But once the Department of Education came in, what happened to our schools? They progressively declined in their performance. This is just this isn't even debatable. This is what happened, and to a point where now we're really at the bottom of the heap. So why did that happen? Well, it happened because this is what government typically does. Government is really not accountable to anyone. For the most our government agencies in particular, nobody is elected. The legislators are elected, but the legislators have defer a lot of these responsibilities to agencies, and there's no accountability and there's politicization that goes on in these bureaucracies. So before we had a Department of Education, schools were performing well because there was accountability schools were the you know, in the domain of the states and the localities, and there wasn't interference by any authorities above the state and the localities there, and there was more accountability and better performance. So I think returning to the way that it was is a very very rational and appropriate path to take. And that means we're turning people out of jobs in the Department of Education, but that's that's the way life is. You failed to deliver for the American people, and so you no longer have a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and when you talk about such big dollar amounts, and when you have you know, tens of billions of dollars and hundreds of billions of dollars every year that is going to be changing hands, there is no shortage of people who are going to do anything and everything they can to get their hands and get on that money and get their fingers in that pie. And I think that a lot of it is is that the priorities get mixed up. You know, how often do we see you know, Randy Weingardner on TV and she's the head of the National Teachers Union, and she's having an absolute meltdown because of the I really don't think she's melting down over anything more than her gravy train being brought to an end. With with with the flow of this money being not really stopped, but it's going to be directed away from her and those that she represents. I think she sees future is at least the easy future that she thought she had swirling down the drain, and she cannot abide that. So she's going to pull out all the stops to try and make sure that something like this doesn't happen. And how can anyone argue in a legitimate sense that it is not time to take a look and try and do something different than what we've been doing since nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Right, particularly when we had such great schools prior to seventy nine. What's the difference in pre seventy nine and post seventy nine. It's the Department of Education that's the key variable that makes the difference. And so I think it's you know, it's just simply warranted, you know, to save federal dollars, but really to save the children. You know, we need to have children that go through our public school system and have an appreciation for our country and understand the rights and the responsibility of citizenship and can perform you know, in math, you know, in communication, and in every other discipline. They can communicate at a at a at a bear at a minimal level by the time they've graduated from high school. And you know that's not been happening. Our schools have really have really betrayed the young people of America, our public schools.
Speaker 1: Have and you know they and we hear so many of the arguments about well this We've got all these student loans, and we've got all these special needs kids, and we got all this kind of stuff. And of course Trump doesn't think about them. Trump doesn't want to, doesn't want to have anything to do with them. He simply wants to. And I saw the Democrats in Ohio put out its wheet last night because Mike the Wine, the governor of Ohio, and there was a number of other governors there who were there when Trump signed the executive order. They're using the same old, the same old, tired argument is that, well, Mike the Wine was there to cheer this on because he wants to get that money and give tax breaks to billionaires. I mean, they really are is the left and the democrats in this country so bereft of ideas that they have to apply that argument to this situation, when to my way of thinking, nothing could be further from the truth.
Speaker 3: To answer your question, yes, they are ideas.
Speaker 1: Of the interview have a great day. But it's it's but it's said, and we hear and we hear these arguments all the time. But I was reading the piece that that you that you wrote recently. It's it's on town hall dot com, and I'm sure a bunch of other different outlets, and and you mean you talk about all these different agencies and the growth of government starting from nineteen sixty one with USA I D and then you got Medicare, Medicaid in sixty five, HUD in nineteen sixty five, the EPA in nineteen seventy. I was unaware that the Department of Energy didn't start until nineteen seventy seven. But I remember reading an article in all places of Time magazine back in the early eighties, and they were talking about back when there used to be some actual journalism that would happen, and they were talking about the Department of Energy, and I was just it was one of my early awakenings to the way money is spent in this company.
Speaker 6: Why.
Speaker 1: I just saw the unbelievable dollar amounts that the Department Energy was shipping out for all these different projects, and I was thinking, my god, I mean, this cannot go on. And you've been writing about this a lot lately, but the financial situation that this country is in now cannot be sustained. And yeah, and at least I think we're trying to take steps to at least have a different way of looking at our financial situation. But the Left can't even abide that. No, they can't.
Speaker 3: They can't. Look these are these are are this is an ideological cult. Huh. You know, I think one of your competitors, Michael Savage, uh just referred to this to the to liberal liberalism as.
Speaker 1: A mental disorder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh and in some ways that it really is. It prevents them from being able to think rationally. Uh. You know. The beauty of uh, you know, privatization, if you will, is that the marketplace has a way of raising up quality and cutting the price of that. Uh. It's and government can never do that. There is no accountability in government. There's no market mechanism that says, well, you know, this is failing. Therefore, if we should shut it down. In the private sector, that's what happens. The private sector is very creative and not all new ideas and new products u uh get launched and are successful. Well, we don't keep manufacturing or pushing a product that's not successful. You shut it down and you move on to the next thing. Government never does that. It creates these uh, these departments, these agencies, and they take on a life of their own even though they're dysfunctional. We don't need a department of energy now that you open that can of worms, dan, because the private sector takes care of that. You know, when there's a when there's a need for energy, then all the people in the energy industry can think, well, how can we meet that need? Well, uh, you know, and we have different sources. If we really allowed the market to direct energy production, we would not have wind and solar, we'd have we we would have more nuclear power, and we would have more natural gas, uh, more natural gas than than than the hydrocarbon that's known as oil and diesel. Those are not really that for energy and uh uh a coal. Now, we can burn coal cheaply, uh I mean cleanly, I should say at a fairly reasonable price. So the market, which see, the market sorts all of that out. We don't we don't have to have a central to allocate resources.
Speaker 1: And we've got and we've gone so far down that road that it is uh that there's so many people that are so ingrained into that way of thinking that the you know, this this what whatever sector of the economy or whatever sector of society that we're talking about, that this sort of thing has to be under the purview of the federal government. And and and you know, I was watching Donald Trump give Laura ingram Ator the the Oval Office and the changes he's made to the Oval Office since he's been in there, and he's got a copy of the Declaration of Independence hanging up on the wall. And when you know, and and when you go back to then that's another thing that you talk about, is going back to the founding of the country. And you know, government with federal government was supposed to be something far and distant away and and and something that wasn't a major player in the everyday lives of the American people. But that that's, you know, especially under this last administration, that's what it has become. You know, you got to get up every morning and turn your eyes to Washington, d C. To see what the latest edict is from the federal government and getting to my way of thinking, getting away from that. The further we can get away from that, the better off we're going to be.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, America became the greatest military and economic power in the world in just about one hundred and twenty years from the ratification of the Constitution. That's like a stock cart going from zero to sixty and two seconds. How America, you know, grew so rapidly and was so successful. And it was successful because of two things. Because are because are are. We had a sparsely grounded culture, and we had a constitution that whose primary function was to protect the unalienable rights of people to be free and creative and not encumbered with too much government. And our culture was spiritually grounded. It was shaped by Christianity. And you know, America was not founded as Christian nation. But the written record of the Constitutional Convention reveals that the founders recorded debates, discussions, writings, citations were inspired and guided by the Bible more than any other source. Most people they don't understand that, but those are the facts. And additionally, the founder's top three most cited political philosophers leading up to that convention, that is, the Constitutional Convention, were none other than Monasque, who is a Christian who advocated for the separation of powers because of the tendency of corrupt If you check one department against another, you'll have less corruption. Very brilliant Blackstone who was a devout Christian, in a law who is a devout Christian. And each of these, you know, these were remarkable people, and it all implies that there's a you know, that there's a recognition of the need for government to be checked and the need for government to empower the people, because that's what Christianity does. You know. The Reformation, you know, fundamentally change the direction of Christianity to the empowerment of the people. I think it was, you know, as Martin Luther called it, the priesthood of all believers. In other words, we don't need a church hierarchy to have a relationship with God. Everybody can have a relationship We've got and when they do, they're more honest, they're more productive, they're more responsible, and it's it's just a it's just a wonderful thing. That we have. You know that we have basically driven out of our culture. We need to revive that. We need a spiritual revival. We need a cultural revival, and we need accountability. And if we were to break it down to three terms, because it's Doge, it's cultural revival, and it's spiritual revival, one are those things. Number one, it's accountability. Number number two, culture revival is it's all about beauty, you know, accountability beauty. And third, the spiritual revival, it's all about love. That's that's a that's a pretty good that's a pretty good three, you know, three legs to the stool, accountability, beauty, and love and we can make America great again.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Scott Powell as always, it is uh is so great to have you on and the time always flies by.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: If people want to find out more about you, Discovery dot org, the Discovery Institute, and I know you've got another interview coming up. But Scott Powell, as always, I want to thank you for the time today. Great heaven, y'all. Oh, it's a pleasure and I always look forward.
Speaker 3: To Dan for all you do. You do what you do noble service. Well, you know in educating people.
Speaker 1: I tell you you're very caul.
Speaker 3: So all all the listeners need to talk to their friends to bring more listeners to you, to your to your shows, Dan, because obviously you know it's not an easy business. And the more listeners you have, the more advertising revenues come in to support you and make you even better.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I do it because I love doing it and I love talking to people like you.
Speaker 3: And then you don't make a lot of money at what you do.
Speaker 1: You got that right, brother, Scott Powell, you're the best. We'll do it again before too long, my friends. Okay, real good, All right, there you go, Scott Powell Discovery Institute. Thank you very much. It's Dan carrollin for Bill Cunningham on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: I was a Deer Park High School, which honestly is not the strongest academic institution in the Tri State.
Speaker 1: Hello, quiet, and I'm Scots. I'm broadcasting god seg you walked in. There's a couple of segments ago and you handed me a letter. And I received a very nice note from Diane in Indiana. Okay, and she says she listens to WLW all the time. Excellent from she says she's listened to me from the very beginning and says, I'm the best. How about that? How about that? How about Diane? She wishes I was on the radio more. Maybe I should have her come here and negotiate a being a Dan Carroll Marathon, a long term contract. Maybe you need a sidekick where in Indiana. Well, I didn't say, uh, I can said said on her. I'm just trying to protect her identity. You know, I don't know if she wanted, if Diane wanted me to, you know, give her address out on the air. I don't think she wanted that. But that's pretty nice though. That's nice. Dan.
Speaker 7: The Stoot Reporters a proud service of your local tame Star Heating and air Conditioning dealers temestar quality you could feel in Cincinnati called Stacey Heating and Air Solutions five one, three, three six seven.
Speaker 1: H E A T.
Speaker 5: Spot.
Speaker 7: Thank you, roxy Lear's Prime Market and brought our luncheon today. The Lenten season is underway Fridays the Lenten Season. That hot and crispy fish sandwich with a homemade tartar sauce and the homemade.
Speaker 1: Fries on marble on marble Rocks, Oh.
Speaker 7: Delicioso and foll Catering Service Deluxe Deli there and located in beautiful downtown Milford. Learsprime dot Com. Lear's Prime always a cut above. We go to NCAA tournament update. We got to you by a c R gun Eyed pools and spas all today swim this year. Carl Frankie's running a special Right now in the second half, it's the Baylor Bears leading Ole Miss forty five thirty nine at the half, Alabama ahead of Robert Morris forty to thirty six. Just underway, Lipscomb up against Iowa State. Coming up at the top of the hour, It's Colorado State and Memphis. Of course, Tonight Xavier in Illinois. Coverage begins at nine to fifteen right here on seven hundred WLW. Also in that bracket in Milwaukee, Troy faces Kentucky at seven on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Let's go Muskies.
Speaker 7: High School basketball High School basketball Division three State championship right now at the half at ud Arena in Dayton, Lewisville leading Ake and thirty eight to nineteen.
Speaker 1: What the Falcons got some work to do? The Falcons that's at the half Yeah, what was that again?
Speaker 7: Lewisville thirty eight AC and nineteen at Aiken usual areas is about eighty points a game. How about that Red's update Reds and White Sox Today coverage of three thirty five.
Speaker 1: You know what they call the Falcons mascot over there at Acon.
Speaker 7: I'm sure you'll tell us swoop three thirty five with the rnel carriers inside pitch MLS soccer Tomorrow. A mattinee at TQL Stadium Tomorrow afternoon, Atlanta United in the house to face FC Cincinnati at two ESPN fifteen thirty, A horse racing poster at five to two, the morning line favorite at thirteen Horse Field, and the seven hundred and seventy seven thousand dollars running of the Jeff Ruby Steaks at Turfoy Park. Both post time tomorrow night is six twenty five p m.
Speaker 1: That's tomorrow night, correct. I think I'm going hockey tonight. Beloved Cyclones are at the Indie Fuel. Clones are home tomorrow and Sunday against Kalamazoo. It's a lot of sports. Eg awesome. What I'm here for?
Speaker 7: Aaron Rodgers visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers today, offensive Lineman, free agent Lucas get a contract, dropping off some cookies or what? Getting a contract? Got to find some place to play?
Speaker 1: Is he gonna Is he gonna be wearing a Steelers uniform next year? I have no idea. That's why he's there.
Speaker 7: Let's see Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman talked today about the UH bronze sculpture that's gonna be unveiled outside Great American Ballpark in September.
Speaker 1: How cool is that?
Speaker 7: Unbelievable that I talked to him today that that's that's the tops the Hall of Fame, everything else, the statue, the end of the great career.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hear a cut.
Speaker 7: Jose Jose Travino three year, eleven million dollar deal yesterday. Graham Ashcraft is going to go to the bullpen start the season, Andrew Habit's going to start the year on the I L And your good friend Carson Spires is now the fifth man in the starting rotation and all from one and only Tito Francona.
Speaker 1: What about what.
Speaker 8: Question comes from Lauren in del Hyde? Is it true that Bill Seg Dennison writes all of your material and is secretly the reason that your career has been so successful.
Speaker 9: The secret is out. He doesn't write all my material, but he writes every single bit of Bill Cunningham's material.
Speaker 5: And he is the reason why Cunningham is a star, not me.
Speaker 1: Howard Lauren know that?
Speaker 9: She doesn't know it because she thinks he's been the power behind whatever success I've had, and she is missing for him because he's been the power behind Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 8: Would there be a chance that he could be the power behind two people?
Speaker 9: No, he could be two people, but I'm not one of them. Actually there are two. It's Bill Cunningham and p doc. H what's the p doc that? Thank you very much? That's that's the nickname for Paul Doherty. And I'd be embarrassed. I would be embarrassed if I were Paul Doherty to allow that radio station to refer to him and promos as p DOC.
Speaker 8: That's kind of like puff daddy or thank you, thank you, whatever he wants to call himself.
Speaker 5: It's the weakest nickname I've ever heard.
Speaker 8: So Seg doesn't write yours, but he does, right, He writes.
Speaker 5: P doc and for Bill cunning the greatest American.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a fraud. How about that? How about that? When when do you have time to write Bill Cunningham stuff? Never? Well, that's not what Marty Brennan said, comes out of his brain. If Marty Brennan said it, it must be true. Got writers cramp, and you were and you were putting stuff out for for Paul Doherty, Yeah, pe doc, p doc Yeah, yeah, by sitting on the probably sitting on the porch of the cabin, listening to us with a cigar, puffing on a cigar this afternoon, probably contemplating the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 7: That's correct, Probably wishing he was their covenant. But what what what is? What is a statue of Marty Brenneman behind He's gonna be He's gonna be sitting and sitting at a desk booth. Ye and uh, and there's going to be there a few other things gonna be there.
Speaker 1: Yes, have you seen a rendering? He's asked you. I said, what what's this? Yeah?
Speaker 7: He said, oh yeah, I'm gonna be sitting behind a table like the radio booth, and just you know, a few other things here and there. Tom Tashia is working feverously on the sculpture as we speak.
Speaker 1: That that that is so I just think that is so cool.
Speaker 7: That he's gonna be He's gonna be uh off to the Uh. He's gonna be there with uh uh. If you walk in the Great American Ballpark, Pete Rose, Joe Dusols right there and to the left of that, and a little foyer by the administration building, that's where Marty's statue is gonna be.
Speaker 1: That's where he's gonna be right there. Well, you got don't don't have Johnny bench out there too.
Speaker 7: No, Johnny bench is is right outside the Hall of Fame. And then Joe Morgan is right there. So he'll be right there with Joe, Pete, Marty and uh and the old left hander.
Speaker 1: It don't get any better than that, does it? Amen to that? What? What is that that that day when that ceremony happens, is is Brennan even going to be able to speak? Because he's gonna be He's going to be crying. I doubt it.
Speaker 7: He said today that his wife Amanda cried more than he did, and he cries a lot, he says, you know, so probably watching that money go out the window all the time, that's by why he's crying so I don't know, but wonderful. It's a wonderful tribute he got. He got totally surprised. They called they called him, I guess a week ago or so and said, hey, can you come down and talk about your memories of opening Day? And I guess they sat him in a TV booth or something studio down there, and then all of a sudden, I think Rick Walls of the Hall of Fame gave him the news I'm bout say, we're gonna put a statue up, and he just.
Speaker 1: Like he just yeah, that is fantastic.
Speaker 7: As he always says, he was struck dumb and that doesn't happen too often with the famer.
Speaker 1: That that, uh, that entrance way to Great American Ballpark is gonna be jam packed that day, like like we have never seen.
Speaker 7: Well, it was jam packed when with Morgan, it was jam packed when Rose, I mean, I mean they were out on the street.
Speaker 1: Well it's gonna it's gonna be it's gonna be double or triple then yep. So there's gonna be people on on Third Street correct out there out there trying to watch yep. So where are you going to be that day? I don't know. I guess I'll be right there, probably right near it in the crowd. But you talk, you talked to Marty Brennman today. How how come when we don't hear any sound bites? Did you record it? Secret? It's secret secret? How can it be a secret if you just told if you just told me, it's a secret. It's a tease, that's what it's called it. Yeah, we do that all the time around here. Okay, when will Bessie when he died? When might we hear some comments? I don't know, we'll say it. It's all up to the powers that be.
Speaker 7: I just get the stuff and then I just handed over to them.
Speaker 1: Well you should be making that decision. That's high above my pay grade, Dan Carroll. You should bring it in here in the sports report.
Speaker 7: Maybe so, I don't know. I'll check with the powers that be and see what they say.
Speaker 1: All right, but Aiken's playing for the Division III state title today? Is not looking good? Louisville and they're they're down or they're down big in the first Lewisville is up near Canton. Yeah, so wow, And pardon me for saying Louis Louisville, Louisville it's Louisville. Never heard of it. Now if they were in Kentucky had been not Louisville. Louisville. Right, you gotta say it. You got to say it's the way the Kentucky people say, go Falcons. Let's go.
Speaker 7: That's the only that's the only local boys team in it. Everybody else didn't.
Speaker 1: Make akens Akins our only hope this year, and then to get it done and then they win the state title.
Speaker 7: Got to get done in this state title here hanging out with Bill Cunningham in a couple of weeks. Winton Woods will be here next week along with Miami Hamilton state title in state basketball. Carlton Gray, Yes, they did?
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 7: And then Miami Hamilton won the uh, what was it? The US Collegiate Athletic Association National championship. They'll be here Tuesday two.
Speaker 1: In what sport? Basketball? So that's overall ready? Yeah, the Harriers? What about what about Claremont College? They won a national champion? You already had him in were they here? Yeah? You sure about that? Yes, sir? All right? Called to myself, you think Willie's going to do anything? Wow?
Speaker 7: You know you write all his materials? What to do he works the phone, he falls on the floor. He should be starting he saw to start drinking water at night. I don't know what's in that cup, but when he falls down, it's not good.
Speaker 1: Seg I'm reading an article right before you came in here today talking about black holes and that is that? Is it?
Speaker 7: Because is that Trump's fault? I don't blame in him or Elon Musk, but they're.
Speaker 1: Saying that these two astronomers discovered that our entire universe. Think about that, the entire universe, all the galaxies, all the stars, everything else, is actually inside a black hole that is in another universe. So you and I and everyone listening to us right now is in a black hole according to the calculations.
Speaker 7: Wow, wh whut are the people on the outside of this universe?
Speaker 1: Said, we got to appeal to them, but they said they think they're listing on the iHeartRadio app Maybe that, but nothing can escape a black hole. So there's so so we are, according to them, that we are living in our universe is inside a black hole that itself resides within a larger universe. How can we be inside a black hole?
Speaker 3: Say?
Speaker 1: Do you feel the walls closing in yeah, all the time. We got to get on this show. We've got to get Dean Riguez on here to figure this out. Call him up, get him on. Well, I've got I've got another guest on coming. All these all these federal judges are out there trying to tell Trump they're getting fired too. He can't you know, he can't do this, can't do that? Is he banning federal judges? Now? Getting rid of them? Maybe a few of them wouldn't be a bad thing. Yeah, I mean why would be Why do we even other to elect the president of the United States. We got a federal judges out there who are gonna sit there and try and tell him, you know, whether or not he can pick his nose, or whether in whether or not he can issue an executive order, whether or not he can close the border, whether or not he can send you know, illegal aliens back to where they came from. All these federal judges out there saying, up, can't do that. Do you know what to do? What I tell you to do? The main Man's got something better than anybody else. The button the red coke. Amen.
Speaker 7: That's pretty good now, I mean, instead of starting nuclear war or something like that, hit. You hit the big red button, and I'll be darned if it's not a diet coke.
Speaker 1: NASCAR doesn't even have that. I got a big red button right there. It spells d U m P. But I don't know. If it doesn't work, I have no idea.
Speaker 7: I mean, let me say, I mean, let me let me say a couple of words and see if it works.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave, are you staying, I'll forget it all right, don't say it, don't say anything. No, I don't want you to get in trouble. True, But what you can say is you can get us out of the Stewge Report. How about that Dan in honor of a cold day? And we're like, what eight six days away from opening? Six days away, and March Madness is underway with Ted McKay. I wish spring training would last another month. We leave you with the immortal words of the Stewed Report.
Speaker 9: So it's going to be a sacrifice, it's going to be an error. And the Reds have their first two on here in the eleventh inning or the thirteenth inning, eleven thirteen, whatever.
Speaker 1: Long game, Yes, it's very long. You know when they put that statue of Marty up there. Yep. They ought to have a little box inside with all these recordings. Just play them on a loop, about about a forty five or fifty minute loop.
Speaker 7: A lot of people are talking about what kind of hair do is he gonna have? Is it the current one with hardly any hair, or is he gonna go with the poofy haired, fancy boy look in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Well, there's already bobbleheads out there that that got the big hair right saying, well are they gonna do? I think he's got to go with the short hair if he has anything to say about it. I'm saying he's saying, let's go in as they go with the nineteen seventy four look, I don't know, looking good. It's a little David seg We'll see you later on seven hundred WLW tie back on the Big One, seven hundred WLW two nine. Dan Carroll in for the Great American Bill Cunningham. And there is a great debate that is happening in our country right now, and it has to do with federal judges and what they are really supposed to play. And they have inserted themselves into the administration of Donald Trump, as he tries to do things like a federal worker buy out, as he tries to do things like get rid of trans service or transgender service members out of the military, as he tries to do things like get illegal immigrants out of here on flights back to their home country, dismantling USAID, and a whole bunch of other things. But all these federal judges want to stand in his way simply because it simply disagrees with the way they think about things. Whenever I have questions like this, there's one place that I turn, and that's my buddy Tom King, who was a great constitutional lawyer and not the head of the Republican Party, but the Chief Council for the Republican Party and the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Tom King, it's great to have you again on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan, it's an honor to be with you.
Speaker 1: How are you right?
Speaker 3: Uh? I.
Speaker 1: I look at the way Trump is dealing with all these rulings and that come out from all these various federal judges about this, that and the other thing, and he doesn't seem to get up very upset about it at all. I think he feels as if he has the law on his side on just about every issue. And maybe there might be one or two that are questionable, but I think by and large, the the the rulings that these different federal judges have come up with, and you name the subject U are are when when they are subject to further scrutiny, are not going to withstand that scrutiny very well? What say you?
Speaker 6: I say that you are spot on, and you know you have to remember these federal judges, this is uh they You know a lot of people want to want the public to think that that there isn't any political bent to this stuff once you put a black robe on. But listen, the process to appoint these folks is is political as anything could get.
Speaker 1: And they have to be approved, of course, they have to.
Speaker 6: Be approved by the Senate, the US Senate in order to take these federal judges ships. Believe me, and I've been part of the process in serving on the Judicial Commission to recommend these candidates, and I got it. I got to tell you, it's as political as it can get. And I think the president is on firm legal ground. I'm proud that I've said this before. When you've had me on your show, and those things like the records case in mar Lago that you and I talked about quite a while ago. We predicted that that that would go away. Uh the appointment of the special counsel, we predicted was improperly done. And uh so I think I think likewise here, uh these these some of these judges have crossed the line. And the Constitution clearly provides for a separation of powers, things like that the national security and national defense are are exclusively the province of the of the President of the United States, and the courts should not be entangling themselves in these things. And and so I think the president will prevail.
Speaker 1: So you know, when I when I look at things like the ruling about Donald Trump wants to uh not have accommodations for transgenders in the United States military, and there's a judge on there talking about how all these things are medically necessary, and you know, Trump can't do that, And and I think to myself, you know what, what if there was you know what if there's a different administration in and they and they want to uh do all these things for transgenders, and and a federal judge says no, you can't do that, or you know, a federal judge says, you know, people with one leg ought to be able to be in combat positions. I mean, all these just name any sort of crazy scenario you might be able to think of. If these judges, and and most of them are lower level, the district judges on the you know, on the federal scale that are making these and some nationwide decisions, if if they just they can look at any particular policy under the way that these sort of things are being rolled out now and decide they don't like it, and and they can order or execute an order that that says, you know, you have to adhere to my way of looking at things. And why even have a chief executive if we're going to make it subservient to a handful of federal judges. I couldn't agree more with you.
Speaker 6: The I mean, if you substitute transgender and say, okay, so, so if it were something else other than transgender, and you mentioned it's someone without a leg or or or so let's say it's someone who's paralyzed in a wheelchair who wants to be an air traffic controller or wants to be wants to be something wants to be a pilot in the military, does does the millity. These are these are all things that that there is a unique circumstance. And then the president has the right and so does so does the military to describe the conditions necessary for people to perform these vital services. So these judges confuse you know, everyday living situations with with things like the military and and the national security and state secrets and things like that and and so uh. They are most of them district court judges, which is the lowest rung in the federal uh, federal level. And then above that, of course is the are the circuit courts and and then ultimately the US Supreme Court. So many of these issues may may ultimately make their way to the Supreme courts. Some of them will get we weeded out in the circuit courts. But I think the president is really on strong ground and I think the American public supports him in this effort.
Speaker 1: Well, sure he's got he's got an overwhelming mandate. And it is do you see the possibility of any long term damage from these judges connect you know, conducting them elves their way. They are doing it. And you know, when when you look into some of the and there's been various outlets that have done deep dives into the political backgrounds of a lot of these judges. And many of these judges are compromised in so many different ways, whether it's through family members or donations that they have made, or they have direct contact. Part of their lives is directly contacted with the issue that they're making a ruling on. And we you know, this is another thing that you and I have talked about. You know, where is the the the responsibility for these judges to recuse themselves when they run up against something like this. I mean, have we just sort of you know, in the in the you know, the whole scope of jurisprudence, have we just sort of lost that that that ethic that if you have something that's going to create the appearance of a conflict of interest and you you recruise yourself, you step away, and you say, someone else is got to handle this because you know, I don't want to have that you have that appearance of impropriet.
Speaker 6: Well, there there is in fact a process in the federal system to address uh these these either either a parent or perceived conflicts of interest. The judges in the first instance, get to get to decide for themselves. However, there there certainly is an appeal process, and there's also a review process within the federal courts. So but but when you're when you're talking about President Trump, we've never seen anybody. First of all, as the President himself says, you know, nobody's nobody's been true more stuff than he has in the system. Uh, he's an expert on on conflicts of interest by judges, the judges in New York, uh in his criminal trial and and in the in the records case in New York, and and the and the Attorney General of New York, and the conflicts that were so apparent to the rest of the world where we're just horrendous. And so once again, you know, these everybody takes the puts on the rope and sits on a federal bench has some background or they wouldn't be there. And so when that background conflicts with with fair play, that's when they're supposed to recuse themselves. We have strong opinions about about some of these cases and then the interests of some of the courts. But there is a process and it should work, and ultimately it may The problem is exactly what you we are alluding to. The damage that's done there is the ability of these courts to interfere in the in the you know, in in everyday situations that are occurring right before them, and then the delay that it takes to get those things corrected in the court system. So those two hundred and fifty criminals that are that are sitting down in in in the Caribbean in jail or you know, they if some court directs them to be returned, h there will go be a process appeal that and get it up probably to the US Supreme Court. But there's no way that these guys should be interfering in in in the extradition of of or the elimination of criminals who entered the United States improperly and are our members of an organization. Uh, this is a wailing gang that's been declared to be an enemy of the United States.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: We would want the president to do that, and so somebody interfering with that, in my opinion, is on the wrong, wrong route.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it just seems to me that you know, there there's so many, so many items that come under the executive branch and then and when you talk about the executive branch, that power is vested in the president of the United States. So when you're talking about foreign policy or you're talking about the military, are you're talking about spending under you know, different organizations or different uh, you know, government entities that fall under the executive brandts. When you're talking about how much money they can spend, who can be in charge of it, and all the rest that you know, those are items that are under control. They were not interfering with anyone's civil rights and that if that that seems to me it would be another issue. But these these are all things that come under the executive and and they're just it's just is a delaying tactic because you know, these people on the left know that they have not succeeded in the arena of ideas.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 6: I don't believe that the Constitution or anybody else gave these judges the ability, for example, to order the president to continue to pay foreign aid to two nations whose interests are adverse to ours, or for UH cooked up programs that the Biden administration invented UH to fund these things in foreign foreign nations. In the President's State of the Union address, the identified a whole laundry list of these things, and I think most of us, you know, most of us have thought that there was a lot of stuff going on in DC, but I'm not sure that any of us knew the extent of which it was until Musk and and Doage got involved and ferreted out this stuff. So they've done the country a great service, and I applaud elon Musk and Doge for what they've done. The criticism coming from the left is, in my mind, is mind boggling, because what they're criticizing is the ferreting out of corruption and almost criminal actions on the part of these people who set this stuff up, and the programs that they're supporting are insane. I don't think you know, when the president says he wants to restore common sense to America, that's exactly what he's doing. And so for some judge to get involved and try to order the President of the United States to continue to make these phony payments to these nations is really improper.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much you followed the Auto Penn story about Joe Biden. How big of a deal do you think that is? Depending on its documents were signed by the autopen and then I guess if you're going to dig further into this, uh, it seems to me that it bears worth looking into whether or not Joe Biden specifically authorized the use of the autopen on on the signing of some of these documents.
Speaker 6: I think the autopen deal is a big deal. I think that's a huge deal. You know these you get these if you write down to the White House. Sometimes you'll get if you if you're if they if your letter is a significant, important, et cetera, you'll get a personal signature back from the President. But a lot of times somebody will write and congratulate them on something and those kinds of things, and so they use the autopen on a lot of a lot of the letters coming out of there are auto penned. I don't think that it's possible to autopen a pardon.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: And and I think that that that once you get to the to the fact, to the fact that any of these things were autopen, I think that inlid to be honest with you, and then and then I do think that it's significant and it's important that we get to the bottom of who did this because if someone in the White House was auto penning a lot of other stuff, we ought to know about it. And maybe there are other things that are invalid as well. The President, President Biden, that didn't seem to know much about a lot of things at the end, and I suspect that he may not have known exactly who he was pardoning and in what and what proportion. Some of these were masked pardons of thousands of people. Yeah, and if those were auto penned, listen, they're they're invalid.
Speaker 1: You think those So you think some of those pardons could be invalid if if it turns out? How about that?
Speaker 6: I absolutely do. I I don't think there's any There is no authority for anyone to do that, to sign his name.
Speaker 1: There's no authority for somebody to push a.
Speaker 6: Button and get and have the Joe Biden's signature appear on a pardon that he didn't sign himself.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's any question about that.
Speaker 1: Wow, how about that? We got about a minute left. You're working on a case right now involving the governor there in Pennsylvania, and this guy's got some some problems with some missing emails, Governor Shapiro.
Speaker 6: Governor Shapiro is a lot in the news over here, and there are an awful lot of Republican women who are just outraged at what he's done. In the case that we're involved in, which is supported by the Thomas Moore Society. As you know, I'm part of that fine organization in Chicago and so on, behalf of a news outlet over here called Broad and Liberty. We've been able to establish in court that there are there are completely missing emails in the investigation into one of Shapiro's cabinet secretaries, for whom Shapiro paid two hundred and ninety five thousand dollars to settle sexual harassment.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and ninety five thousand taxpayer dollars. Right yes, sir, right out of the government. Very nice, very nice.
Speaker 6: That's it that this is about as bad as the Nixon missing missing gap in the tapes. It's these emails are gone, Tom King.
Speaker 1: The playbook never changes. It doesn't matter what group of Democrats you're talking about. The playbook is always the same. And it's it seems like it's always the taxpayers who have to to make good for their misdeeds. But Tom King. As always, it is great to have you on the time. Always flies right by whenever you're on. Keep up the great work, my friend, and we'll talk again before too long. Always appreciate it, sure will. Dan, thanks for having me all right. There you go, the great Tom King from Pennsylvania to twenty five Dan Carroll for Bill Cunningham on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: The whole Town's Baddie about Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: What a team? What a team?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: What a team?
Speaker 5: Hello, Piet and I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Segment. We've got high drama happening the arena arena right now. It is Aiken versus Louisville for the boys Division three championship. Aiken had a free throw with about eight seconds left to play. It didn't go down. Louisville got the ball on a possession arrow. Then they inbounded. Aiken fouled right away, so now there was about four seconds left. Louisville made the Louisville made the front end of a one to one, So it is now sixty three sixty one, one point nine left to play. A doesn't get any better. At Akins got one final shot, one final shot they're gonna need. Well, they only need a two pointer, but it's gonna they're gonna have to heave it up right away. One point I think one point nine you got time for a catch. I don't think you have time for a dribble.
Speaker 7: But I think you gotta be a long pass like the other night with Alabama State.
Speaker 1: Long pass, and you gotta shoot it, and they got to drain it. So they've got one chance for glory. They're in a timeout right now, Aiken High School take them out. What's the nickname of Lewisville? You know, no idea Canton could care less. Looks like they got a lion or something on the graphic there. God bless them all. Right, here we go, Here we go. It can get ready to inbounds under their own bat or under the Lewisville basket. So they've got to go to the length of the floor here in one point nine seconds and get up a shot or else they will fall sixty one to sixty three. There's the inbound pass, dribble from half court, long shot off the top of the glass, and the ball Kreene's away and Aiken comes up short, falling to Lewisville in the Division III Championship. Sixty three sixty one. But what a comeback, What a comeback for the eighteen nineteen points.
Speaker 7: And at halftime and went back in the room between here and there, and all of a sudden, it's like a thirty eight to thirty four whatever it was, it's like a four point game. And I'm going, what the world did They must have I don't know, they must have put the cord on a on a swivel or something, but ake and they had their chances but just couldn't.
Speaker 1: They just couldn't get at the fall. The Louisville Leopards the Leopards, So now you know what Lewisville is, the Leopards regulations. Ak Now, what a game, What a game? What a game? And Aiken had a it was sixty two sixty one and Aiken had a free throw I guess the front end of a one and one to tie it up. And that free throw it bounced around like three or four times on the rim just didn't fall through. You know. I was and I was watching the playing games at U D Arena the other night, and I was thinking to myself, those rims at UD are pretty friendly because there was a lot of shots. Yep, during that Xavier game that seemed like they would bounce around and then find their way in and that one just just didn't go down for the Falcons and they come up a couple of points short.
Speaker 7: Dan Carroll, which report is a proud service of your local tame Star Heating and air Conditioning dealers Temepstar Quality. You can field in Cincinnati, Cowayoming Ara it won eight eight eight nine nine six h v A C what thank you Roxy Ncaattorney Update brought to you by ACR gun Eyed Pools and Spas. Call today swim this year. Carl Frank, he's running a special. Let's see Baylor holds off Ole Miss seventy five seventy two second half. Right now, it's Alabama ahead of Robert Morris seventy to sixty five.
Speaker 1: Oh HALFTIMEE Alabama's the number one seed?
Speaker 7: Aren't two? I think they were too the two seed. Iowa State leads Lipscomb at half forty to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Where is Lipscomb? I think it's in Tennessee.
Speaker 7: Xavier takes on Illinois tonight seven hundred ww's coverage nine fifteen Troy and the Kentucky Wildcats seven on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: You like tonight between the Muskies and the Illinois A LIONI no offense to Bob Trumpy, but go X. Let's go. Let's see Red's update.
Speaker 7: We got the Reds in White Sox today in split squad action. Another group will play Seattle, but the Reds and White Sox today. Seven out at WW coverage coming up about forty five minutes with the RNL carriers inside pitch. MLS soccer Atlanta United at FC Cincinnati tomorrow afternoon at TQL Stadium. The action at two ESPN fifteen thirty. Poster at five to two is the favorite thirteen horse field tomorrow for the seven hundred and seventy seven thousand dollars running of the Jeff Ruby Steaks at Turfoy Park. Post time tomorrow night is six twenty five pm.
Speaker 1: Who's the favorite poster? Poster? And then another horse? Is that that's the name of the horse's poster? Correct?
Speaker 7: Another horses and one of the favorites is California Burrito.
Speaker 1: So this is a this is a there's a derby qualifying race.
Speaker 7: When Winter goes to runs for the Kentucky Derby, winner goes to the Derby.
Speaker 1: Correct that's a big deal. No kidding. Down there, down there at Turfway, they still got the synthetic turf down there that I don't know. I don't know have been there in a while. Well, let's go, let's go, let's go play some horses. You ever have any luck at that? No playing the horses. No, I've got I got a buddy of mine who loves the handicap. He's always got the racing for him. He's always calling me with hot tips. And I've been to I go to the track with them. You know how many You know how many times I've wanted the track with him? Zero zero? Yeah, not a dime. There you go. That's why I don't go.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't know what the heck's going on unless I had Mike Battaglia with me. That's the only the only reason I'd go to a racetrack if I had him.
Speaker 1: With me, and that was it.
Speaker 7: Buttagula, and he knows, he knows the horses, the horses, and the horses and the horses, that's it. He knows where every one of them came from and everything else.
Speaker 1: Jeff Pacarr is the only one I've ever known that won any money playing the horses. And then I got a buddy that works down there too, But I've never been I never be able to figure it out. Sech can't figure it out. Good luck to you all right? What else is going on? That's it, that's it, that's it. March Madness is underway. You got baseball, you've got soccer, you got horse racing, all all kinds of stuff happening. Oh, we got to mention n I t second round tomorrow eleven thirty am. The Dayton Flyers are on the road against Tennessee Chattanooga. Let's go the second round, So good luck to the Flyers. Scotty Scheffler has put out his menu for the Masters Club dinner. I saw, I saw that you did. Yeah, what do you think of it? Sounds pretty good to me. He's gonna he's gonna have shrimp this year. And let's see, he's got cheeseburgers, firecrapper, fire cracker, shrimp and beef steak.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's see Papa Chef's meatball and ramvolie bites.
Speaker 7: These boys are gonna need some heartburn medicine after this one.
Speaker 1: The Men, you also include steak and fish, and there's also some chili, and then you've got a chocolate chip cookie skillet topped with vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. Did they have any of that's? Did they have any chocolate chip skillet down at the down a Great American Dolf Park today?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: No, nothing like that. No, no they did not. Did they have any Did they have any shrimp?
Speaker 2: Rimp?
Speaker 1: No shrimp, No shrimp? Great American Balls, I can see.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: The biggest everybody was talking about was the walking taco. The walking talk with Grippo Chips and Montgomery and Barbecue, and it was they said it was outstanding. So if they if the taco, they ran out. If the taco was walked looking around, I mean, you got to go catch it before you can eat it. House you just it's right there in like the bottom of the of the of the UH container for your potato chips. Everything's in there, and you just walk around and eat it. Why do you have to walk around? I don't know. All depends what you want to do.
Speaker 1: You can't you sit down and eat it. No, you gotta walk and eat it because the stuff walks with you. But but you're you're the one if you.
Speaker 7: If you don't eat the walking taco walking, it's gonna walk away from what it did?
Speaker 1: I mean, they get walk.
Speaker 7: The taco was walking and the people were standing there at the table and they look down and then walking taco was just walk.
Speaker 1: You walk away from walking away. Yeah, you got to catch it first.
Speaker 7: That's why you gotta walk with it. You put it down and you walk away, forget it.
Speaker 1: The taco is going to walk away. Somebody's got to get it. Just say it so walking. So you're gonna have the top goes walking around on the Great American Ballpark.
Speaker 7: Tip tip eight, about six of them, and the last one she had it, she sat it down. She turned to talk to somebody and the things started moving. You got, if the taco's gotta walk, you gotta walk with the taco.
Speaker 1: How about how about when they d out? How about when they have bark in the park night and he got with tacos walking all over the dogs and be going crazy. Don't ask me, I don't know. That'll be pretty good. Yeah, I'm sure it would be sure. The Reds will love that. All right, seg have a great Friday. Same to you, Dan, and get us out of the Stoog's report.
Speaker 7: If you would please Dan, in honor of everybody having a good weekend, and good luck to exit everybody else that's playing.
Speaker 1: We leave you with the immortal words of the stewed report. Next week's highway patrol story is a very unusual one. I hope you'll be with us until then. Remember it isn't the car.
Speaker 4: That kills, it's the driver.
Speaker 1: This is Roderick Crauwford saying, see you next week, See you next week, seg sir on seven hundred WLW. A right back on the big one, seven hundred WLW, Dan Carroll for Bill Cunningham. Just a few minutes to go here before the top of the hour. Then Rocky, you'll take it to Red's Baseball at three thirty. But I was on last night and I was talking about a piece that was written in a daily wire by a guy named Luke Rosiak. And if you get a chance to go there and look it up, the title of it is inside the now shuttered federal agency where employees live like reigning kings. And so this tells the story of a little federal agency called the Federal Mediation Consolation Services. And this is a federal agency that has a nine story office tower on K Street and DC sixty employees, many of them who actually worked from home prior to the pandemic. The managers there had luxury suites full bathrooms. One manager would often be in the shower when she was needed, while another used her bathroom as a cigarette lounge. The FMCS recorded its director as being on a year's long business trip to DC so he could have all his meals and living expenses covered by taxpayers simply for showing up. This agency has two hundred and thirty employees that exists to serve as a voluntary mediator between unions and businesses as an independent agency, and it is so small that it literally has no oversight. And the reporter on this, Luke Rosiac, did a deep dive into this fm CS ten years ago and he was talking about there's one official there who ordered champagne and two hundred dollars coasters for his office, purchased artwork that was painted by his wife. They talked about one employee said he said he's never seen anything like it. He says they spent two four hundred dollars to retouch a painting a portrait of someone who had briefly held the top job. There. There's one employee, a guy named Charles Burton, who retired from the FMCS. After he retired, he incorporated an LLC to which another FMCS employee paid eighty five thousand dollars using his purchase card. When they say purchase card, they mean government credit card. Then this guy's business was listed as a call service center, even though the company had neither a website nor a working phone. And this article just goes on and on and on. Thirty thousand dollars on trinkets for employees, It had an in house gym, an ice machine that costs thirty eight hundred bucks. And again, when you talk about all these things, you know it's small potatoes. But we have to start getting into the mindset as a nation that this kind of stuff is not okay that a few thousand dollars here or a few million dollars there, or even a billion or so dollars over there, and the big scheme of things is not all that much. We we just got to start looking at that as what a waste it is, and we cut that out. Then eventually hopefully we can move on to the bigger stuff. But again it's on daily wire check it out and your jaw dropped to the floor just like behind it. Time for me to get out of here. Rocky is next with a little bit of a short show and then Reds Baseball coming up at three thirty here on the Home of the Red seven hundred ww