Speaker 1: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty, KFI AMI forty, Live Dreaming and HD Everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. Dean Sharp the House Whisperer, that's me live with you every Saturday and Sunday morning. You can follow us on social media. We only do the good kind, uplifting, informative, inspiring social media. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook x, all the usual suspects Home with Dean, same handle for all of them, Home with Dean And of course, this very program is also known as the House Whisperer podcast that you can listen to anytime, anywhere on demand. Hundreds of episodes, all searchable by topic. It is your home improvement reference library. And finally, if your home is in need of more personal house Whisper attention, like you've said to yourself or your partner, you know what we need Dean and Tina standing in this house telling us exactly what we need to do next. Well, that can happen too. You can book an in home design consult with us, Me and the Tea at house Whisper dot Design. All right, we're taking calls and having some conversation this morning. I've got Lucy on the line. Lucy, are you still with me?
Speaker 2: Yes, Gene, I am.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks for hanging on through the break. Lucy asked a question right before the break, and I just wanted to give it it's due. She has an older roof. Now I'm assuming, Lucy that your roof is an asphalt composite shingle roof. Yes, yes, okay, she's got an older roof starting to show a little buckling and bubbling on some of the shingles. And the question is is it true that there are that there is a mixture out there, a spray on mixture that can preserve that roof, calm it down, extend its life without having to commit to the you know, the full roof replacement idea. And so here's my answer, Lucy, Yes there is, and yes it's legitimate. Now, whether or not it is going to work for your roof, that is the question. It's a question of timing, timing as far as did we get to it soon enough. So I'll put it in this in this context. You know, there are medical conditions that we all suffer from, and there are treatments and cures that are available. The question of whether or not a particular treatment is going to be effective often has a lot to do with, well, how soon did we catch this thing? Right? How early on in the process did we catch it? And sometimes it means that the treatment is just boom, we're gonna do it. It's gonna work. We've nipped it in the bud and it's helped a lot. And other times the doctor is going to shake his head and say, well, I'm sorry, no, we can't do that one because we're past that now, we're past that level of effectiveness. So, first of all, the fact that you're starting to see bubbling and or rising or curling shingles on a roof that is an asphalt composite roof is an indicator that that roof is reaching the end of its life span. Right. It's not just you know, an accident happened or there's a leak here. In fact, it doesn't sound like your roof is actually leaking at all currently. But when we see the asphalt in bedded fiber paper underneath that it actually makes up the shingle. When we see that starting to warp or change shape, then it's an indication that that roof is coming nearing the end of its lifespan. Okay, nearing the end of its warranty period. In fact, it may already be out of its warranty period. I'm not going to speak to that, but it's nearing the end. So the question is how severe. Now if most of the shingles on a roof, in my experience of most of the shingles on the roof are starting to buckle and bulge and or even worse, curl up on the front edge, then I think it's safe to say we're probably past the level of spraying it down with this kind of roof coating spray. But if it's just the beginning of and there's just a few spots, then you might well be within the parameter. The trouble is this. The trouble is that if you call a roofer out to evaluate it, all right, just a standard roofer, of course, they're going to look at your roof and say, well, you got to change out this room. This roof has to come off at its end. You got to change it out. But and that's why I wouldn't get my first opinion from the roofer. I would get my first opinion from a company that actually does roof preservation spraying, and I will tell you. I'll give you one. I wish they were a sponsor of the show. So just just a clear point of disclosure here, this company is not a sponsor of my show, but I would happily make them. And that should tell you something right there, Ruth, I mean Lucy. That should tell you that I believe in this process and that I think it would help a lot of people. Now, it's not going to indefinitely extend the life of your roof, but it could give it easily three to five years, maybe even longer before you have to think about reroofing. If it's an effective treatment, I would call roof Max. That's roof m A x X two x's on the end. You can call them, you can find them online. These guys are going to give you a guarantee on how long and how effective the spray is, so they would be the best ones to actually evaluate this because you know, of course they're going to want to spray your roof, but if they find that your roof is in too bad a shape, they're not going to want to spray the roof and then guarantee that it stays in that you know, in good shape for the next five years, and so I would call them out, have them evaluate it first, give you an honest evaluation. The cost. I'm not exactly sure what the current cost is, but I'll tell you this. It is a fraction. I mean a small fraction having your roof sprayed down to one day process. It's a small fraction of what it would cost to replace an entire asphalt shingle roof. And if it helps you to give you another five years or so. And for some roofs who get caught early, who do this as a maintenance thing, it'll go five years. They could spray it again. I believe they've sometimes they've applied their spray up to three times, which means fifteen years of extension of the life of a roof. I'm not making any of those promises for your roof because it's already showing some signs. So the point is this, give them a call, have someone come out and evaluate it. They will honestly tell you. You know what, Lucy, I think your roof is passed. Being able to guarantee this, you should call a roofer or they'll tell you. You know, we'll give you a price for this because we think it could really help. But the process itself is a proven process. It is a soy oil based solution. It's completely non top it doesn't hurt the construction, it doesn't hurt the roof at all. And essentially it re moisturizes the essential asphalt elements that are in the base of an asphalt shingle roof, so it causes them to settle down, to lay back down, to to resist cracking. And it really, really really can extend the life of an existing roof and for a lot of people, having a little bit longer time to plan before replacement can be a massive, massive advantage. I'm telling you right now, you will in the you know, in the next five plus years, need to replace that roof, but you could get a light extension from it by the spraying process right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh thank you Dean. You know, the shingles, they're not very bad. This puffing is only in certain areas. The shingles are not lifted or anything like that. And I've been talking to my husband about it and he keeps avoiding the issue, calling he doesn't know. He's in the market shopping. So I took the opportunity to call you. If I could ask you.
Speaker 3: One question, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Does this spraying of the soy spray with the sun does it change the color of the shingles?
Speaker 1: It does a little bit, but only in the best of ways. What it doesn't do it doesn't discolor the shingles. It brings their original tone back because it remoisturizes them. It brings the original color back that has faded over years of UV exposure. So it's all a good thing, Lucy, It's all a good thing if it works for your Like I said, go check out roof Max. I wish they were a sponsor for the show because I could bring him a lot of business. It's a solid, solid option to extend the life of that roof. Lucy, thank you so much for your call, my friend. And she's like, I sent him to the market so that I could secretly call you and get the infant. Oh he's he's gonna get it when he comes home. All right, y'all more, when we return your home with Dean Sharp, the house whisper, Dam fine, Dean Sharp, the house Whisper at your service, went a little long with Lucy, our caller in the first segment and just explaining her roof condition. But I thought it was worthwhile for everybody. Did not at the time, though, realize that she and I were having kind of a a a little design and construction twist on the side. She had and her husband away to the store, to the market and then called me on the side. So that actually happens more often than you think. It's funny, and sometimes it's not. And so I don't know. I don't know if if Lucy's husband is just going to cave in and say, all right, let's call the Roofmax people and come out, or whether I'm going to get an angry email. But sometimes it feels that way, you know, like a partner will come home and say, you what what? Wait, what's been going on while I was at work. I'm off there earning the big dollars and you have invited you've been seeing a designer and you didn't tell me here in my own home a designer during the day. Yeah, that actually is a thing. And so anyway, I'm glad Lucy called me, but she should have told me upfront. She should have told me upfront so I could have made the conscious choice to enter into this tryst knowingly anyway, Listen, I went a little long. We're just going to take a couple of minutes here to get back on schedule with our breaks, and then we'll get back to it. One of the things that I absolutely want to make sure that you understand about where things have come lately here in fire news is that Thursday, on Thursday, I believe it was Thursday, Governor Newsom here in California issued an executive order. Now there's been a little bit of news coverage about this, but it was kind of highly technical, so it got largely passed over, I think in general. But you can find it if you're interested in seeing what these new developments are by way of executive order for fire conditions here in southern California and the state as a whole, then go to well just to put this in the Google winner, because the actual website that I'm staring at here is one of those where you know, all the little address details on the end are very very long, but you'll find it at gov dot California dot gov. Just go ahead and do a search for Newsome Executive Order Zone zero. Okay, Newsome Executive Order Zone zero. I guarantee you, it will come up and you can actually read kind of the summary of it. This is actually the governor's web page, the on the you know California dot gov website. It essentially is this, my friends. It is essentially the state of California having learned some things finally about fire protection, about fire hardening, and about the most criticals zones for homeowners to protect. Zone zero is the first five feet of perimeter around your home. Okay, that would include everything that wasn't specific about this, but it's going to include everything from the edge of your home, the wall itself, the eaves, the wall, yes, vents, that's going to be a thing. Again, not specifically mentioned yet, but it's going to be a thing all the way out to five feet out. It also includes fencing if fencing is within five feet of your home, and the question is this ember proofing that area of your home. You're also going to find in the next two or three years zones or areas of southern California that weren't previously marked as fire sensitive or fire risk areas are going to be changed because we are really understanding again because of embers, which were the leading call of the massive devastation of these recent fires because of embers. Because embers can travel two miles on the breeze and still be capable of igniting things at your home. Then the very definition of fire sensitive areas is going to grow. It's going to expand from just those homes that are pushed right up against open hillsides and open spaces. So a lot of changes there that are coming, but they're all good ones. They're all good ones. And with the requirement for new construction and for major remodels is going to come. As I've predicted for you, it's going to come some changes required for every homeowner, especially if you live in those new zones. And it all just boils down to this. I want every single one of you to set aside the not large amount of money to change out the vents of your home and begin to work zone zero. And now the state of California getting very very serious about zone zero. All right, more in that as we go. You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI AM six forty live streaming in eight D everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You are Home with Dean Sharp. The House whisper. That's me. I am so enjoying time on Saturday mornings with you, just taking calls and then talking about some issues along the way. Of course, I always get addicted to the calls, and I confess that, but that's fine. That leaves more things for me to talk about with you the next week. I am going to continue to do just that because we've got calls on the board, and so let's talk to.
Speaker 3: Jay.
Speaker 1: Hey, J, welcome home, Good morning.
Speaker 4: I need some from here. I'm on the one yard of a month major home renovation. J J.
Speaker 1: You're broken up a little bit, you know. Do you have me on speaker? If if? If so, take it off because I'm hearing like every third word from you.
Speaker 4: I just bat you're not on speaker. Maybe batter said? Is that any better?
Speaker 1: That's a little bit better? Okay? What what do you got going on?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So we're finishing a major home renovation. The one we still have is the hanging one into your door. It's a steel door. We're going to use an in swing for our dining room. Right now we have a rough open cut out with drives on both sides. We're facing two issues here. The contractor saying the rough opening is big door, the door thirty by eighty rough opening is thirty two by eighty one and a quarter or something. And the second, as he said, these steel doors are very narrow, and the way to proceed to finish off the completely with dryall the door on of that the door company is saying no no with these doors and directly to the rough opening work frame and then you sit in the drywall for that. So I guess I mean your experience with having steel door and the narrow frame. How do you go about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my general advice to you. Now, I know it was still kind of breaking up, but I got the gist of it. I hope all of our listeners did as well. But my general advice to you is this, when it comes to a particular product being installed in a home, okay, uh, there are occasions when a contractor can deviate from standards and practices specified by that product or that manufacture and do their own thing because we've got a crazy idea and it's going to work and it's going to be great and so on. But if there is a discrepancy between like what the contractor wants to do and what the steel door company is saying to do default to the door company. It's their product. You don't want to end up, you know, moving away from their recommendations. So whatever the door guy is saying about, hey, this is how this door really should be treated and installed in this wall. That is the first and primary person I am listening to, not just a builder who may or may not be super familiar with this particular product, or who may or may not have done it one hundred times or never done it before in this kind of condition. This is when I hold a general contractor's toes or feet to the fire and I say, listen, you can install this the way the manufacturer says it needs to be installed, so that you know, and if you're telling me that, okay, but here's the problem with that, that's fine. I'm opening to listening to that. But generally speaking, unless there is some giant roadblock in the way, install this the way the manufacturer says it needs to be installed.
Speaker 4: Okay, in your spirits these first, do you hang them directly in the wood, You finish them first, and then top of the.
Speaker 1: It can vary, It can vary, It really can vary. But generally speaking, steel doors usually get hung directly to the wood and then we finish them off right. But it can vary depending on the manufacture because there there isn't just one. Oh this is how steel doors work in an opening. There are hundreds of steel door manufacturers and they all have their specific way that they want their door treated. That's why I'm saying, if this is the door that you've chosen, if this is the door that you want, then you deal with that manufacture and you ask them what is the optimal way, because you know, the contractor doesn't have to live with the fact that fifteen twenty years from now this door is not working properly, but you do, so I want it installed the way that this manufacturer is specifying best for this situation.
Speaker 4: Got it, Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You are so welcome, Jay, appreciate the call, buddy. All right more when we return your home with Dean Sharp, the house whisper, Jayfi, Dean Sharp the house whisper, Welcome home. Hey, thanks again for spending the morning with me. We're not done yet. I'm going to try and fit in one more call. Let's talk to Richard. Hey, Richard, welcome home.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Dean I've got a question on adu's and whether you like to see them attached to the main house or kept separate.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, good question. Good question. ADU an accessory, dwelling unit aka guest house, guest residents, granny flat, casida, whatever you want to call it. Here. So, whether I like to see it or whether others like to see it, here's the thing. As far as you're planning out your ADU. I, as I always say, an expansion of the existing home is always tricky. It's always tricky. You have to do it very carefully. Most people don't do it carefully, and as a result, they end up messing up something about the functionality of the existing house. Your existing house was designed to have certain windows, certain natural light coming into certain rooms, and all of a sudden we pop another room out there, and we always have to ask the question, how does that render the room we left behind? Have we darkened it? You know?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: We how we screwed up what we left behind just to expand the house envelope, which of course is what an ADU, if it's an expansion, would be. If an ADU is simply taking and allocating a particular room in the house or a space in the house, which also, by the way, can be the case like the garage. In California, garages are allowed to be turned into ADUs, so now we're not messing up anything because it's already there doing its thing. So if we're if we're taking an existing room and we're we're transitioning that into an ADU, that's one thing. If we're expanding the house, just like any kind of remodel in which we're actually expanding the footprint of the house, a room addition got to be really careful how that's done from a design perspective, so that we're not destroying design quality and design value in the home. As far as functionality is concerned and the question of whether it should be attached or whether it should be detached, there are a lot of factors that come into play there. Sometimes keeping it attached means lower cost because you can sometimes not always, but sometimes take advantage of the existing plumbing and sewer lines that are in the home and just simply extend them. Not always the case, less often than you might think, by the way, just because of the depth of the plumbing at that place, as opposed to setting it all the way across the yard. In terms of privacy, obviously, detaching something and putting it in the backyard some where gives everybody more privacy and everybody a bigger sense of space. But that's a whole another endeavor unto itself, and then at least here in California, in terms of law and legality, it's a question also so potentially of you know, what are your future plans for future ADUs. Not a lot of people understand this, but an ADU that is attached to the home is considered an ADU junior, and you still, even after that, are allowed to have a full ADU or a detached ADU in most circumstances elsewhere on your property. So yeah, two ADUs are potentially possible on every property. One a junior which would be part of the house primary, the other detached. So those are all factors to take into consideration. From a pure design perspective, it's a question of does the detached unit offer more design value than one attached to the house. Does one attached to the house screw up something that's already in existence of the house, And I would never ever ever encourage somebody to do that. In fact, you know we spend a lot of time correcting those mistakes, not necessarily because of ADUs, but because of home editions that have just been stuck on the wrong way and have really reduced the overall design value and functionality of the property. Does that help?
Speaker 3: That does help? You gave me a few other things I hadn't thought to consider.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, good luck with your ADU, Richard, and thanks for thanks for our final call today. All Right, y'all, listen, it is the weekend of the super Bowl. And by the way, just a little clarification, why does half the time do they say super Bowl? In the other half of the time they say the Big Game? You know what that is. It's an advertising prohibition. So when we're just telling you and I were just talking about tomorrow's game, I'm free to tell you it's the super Bowl because that's just news. Right, We're just talking about what's called. It's the super Bowl. Tomorrow's the super Bowl. All right. If this was part of an advertisement for a client, because the NFL owns the name super Bowl, then you have to license it from the NFL. And if you don't want to pay those licensing fees, then during an ad then you know, like if I was selling this brand of chips and telling you eat these during the If I want to say super Bowl, I have to pay the NFL to say that. Otherwise I can just say during the Big Game. So there you go, a little bit of radio how the sausage is made. Tomorrow is the Super Bowl. I hope you have a good time, and I hope you join us here first in the morning to get you all ready for it. More goodness and home stuff with me tomorrow morning. The rest of today looks like the sun is out, looks like it's going to be a cool, lovely day here in southern California and wherever it is for you, I hope you get out into it, and I hope you get busy building your yourself a beautiful life. We'll see it right back here tomorrow morning. This has been Home with Dean Sharp, the House Whisper. Tune into the live broadcast on KFI AM six forty every Saturday morning from six to eight Pacific time, and every Sunday morning from nine to noon Pacific time, or anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.