Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the first Thursday in December. Welcome back to Reconnected. Willson is cute little sweater. Look at you? Ready for holiday stuff? How are we doing, sir?
Speaker 3: Uh? Happy winter holidays?
Speaker 2: Happy winter holidays. Indeed, Uh, it's it's freaking cold already.
Speaker 3: Well, don't worry. Climate change will take care of that soon enough.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, very very soon. It's been a tumultuous month since the last time you were on. I hope all has been well. How was Thanksgiving for the family?
Speaker 3: It was fine. My mama made collar greens good check out. We were colorically irresponsible.
Speaker 2: How about you about the same, just no collar greens because we have no culture. It's been all right, you know, the regular stuff. Like I told you a couple days ago, we had a plumbing fiasco. I had to get taken care of this last weekend, and of course it was a holiday weekend, so it cost four hundred dollars for him to be working for I think it was like twelve minutes that he was in our sub basement. Pissed me off. Everybody's asking if you were in a Freddy sweater.
Speaker 3: It is a Freddie sweater doubles as a Christmas sweater because Freddy sweater is a Christmas later. So I like to be like, uh, elon musk. I like to be efficient. We've got two things in one, two references.
Speaker 2: I love it. We have a ton of stuff cover tonight. We're at like over ninety pages of announcements to go over in our show tonight. That'll be a hell of a lot of fun. But before that, over the last month, we've had some announcements come out, some pickups that we've had, some stuff that we're watching. You're all excited to talk about recent watches. You want to start there?
Speaker 3: Wow, I really.
Speaker 2: Want to hear because it the last couple of months you've been diving into the mainstream Drek, and I love to hear that. You love the weirdest out of nowhere movies.
Speaker 3: Generally in storytelling, you like to build suspense.
Speaker 2: No, I'm all about the release.
Speaker 3: I don't even I don't even need to make the joke. That's why I made it.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Golly. No, we're gonna talk about pickups first. That's what we always do.
Speaker 2: Fine, let's do it. We got a pair of pickups that I believe are the same for both of.
Speaker 3: Us more than likely. Shall I hold them up to the camera.
Speaker 2: Let's do it first. Yeah, Pheladay four K from Deaf Crocodile in.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: It is beautiful box set. Honored to be a part of this. You want to tell them about the commentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a great honor and many thanks to Craig and Dennis for trusting us to do this. You know, from an offhand memory lapse about a year ago in which I asked for the title of a cat movie. A year later, we were asked to give a commentary for probably the ultimate cat movie, FeelA Day from nineteen ninety four. You know, when you think about experts in German animation, really there are only two names that could possibly come to mind, neither of which belonged to us. What Nevertheless, we did the commentary and I thought it turned out pretty well, and I hope, I hope some people get to enjoy it. The film first, which is amazing. There are some incredible interviews Walter Charles essay if you get the limited edition. I just I can't believe that this just came yesterday evening, So I haven't even been able to put it in yet. I would be watching it now, but unfortunately have made a commitment to you, so here I am.
Speaker 2: I will say, oh yeah, we are on the wrong side of the screen. I apologize for everybody that's used to that. I was having mic issues so I had to jump out of the stream literally four times before we went live. The The whole process of Philaday has been incredible, so once again thanks to Dennis and Craig. I hope people listen to the commentary and enjoy it because the cat puns are absolutely worth it.
Speaker 3: I also will highly recommend the Deaf Crocodile podcast, which has some of the most wonderful digressions. And if you if you, I mean just I'll be real this this is a podcast for movie geeks. Oh yeah, you're a casual fan or just just somebody who collects for the for the slipcases, this podcast probably isn't for you, but if if you're really interested in learning about what goes into archiving, what goes into restoration, what goes into tracking down licensing rights, you couldn't get a better and more entertaining education. So highly recommend that podcast, which I have not been on yet.
Speaker 2: Once again. You said that earlier this week. Literally not true.
Speaker 3: You had me, You filmed me clandestinely in the dark for a three minute add on sequence. I was like the mid credit sequence in a superhero movie.
Speaker 2: All the bridesmaids, never the bride. Let's go to the other one, which is the Golden Fern. The next def Crocodile title and the perfect example of a film from them that you've probably never heard of that will be beautiful the moment you pop it in. But also the fact that all of their art is always just astonishing, really really great art. Beth Morris does most of the inner arts on the standard editions. This is a great movie, a lot of great bonus features. Again highly reck picking both of these up. They should be shipping here pretty soon to you. And uh again, we're gonna be talking about subscribing to Deaf Crocodile to night, but I would say for me, and not just because they're in the chat right now, but one of the safest bets to subscribe to, because I don't think there's been a release yet that I've been even remotely disappointed having watched one of the movies, which I don't think I could say that about any other label to this point.
Speaker 3: Other pickups, other pickups. Let's see, did I show this last month from Keno Edgar ge Omer's blue Beard? Pretty excited about that one. Everybody's newest favorite auteur Sidney J. Fury. I picked up the Ipcris file.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Everybody's been getting on my ass about this, So I'm finally gonna watch Fear. Was it called Fear?
Speaker 2: Funny enough? I just got that in today. I just it's out in the mailbox. I haven't put on shoes yet today, so I haven't gotten done it.
Speaker 3: Very pleased about the Blu Ray upgrade to Cat Blue Lee Marvin's Oscar performance.
Speaker 2: That's that's from Sony Direct, right they did that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, from one of the archives. One of my very favorite Fred Zinnamon movies. Act of Violence, Well, great noir, let's see, and of course there was a criterion. Sayal, I heard love Karen Krisana finally got girl Fights.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I'm sure everybody picked up Paper Moon, speed it up here Pandora's box. Did you get this or did you get Eureka? Either way, you're a winner, that's true. And I will say Gregor Raki's I love the Doom Generation back in the day, and I haven't. I've never seen totally aft up.
Speaker 2: So either of I I've seen nowhere in Doom Generation.
Speaker 3: But I nowhere too. And then finally, for reasons that well, actually I can say right soon to be a favorite Christmas movie. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus nineteen seventy seven starring Charles Bronson.
Speaker 2: Discovered last month that shout put that out on Blu Ray. Because you did not know that, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how I didn't. I've been looking for it forever. It was because I was I thought it was Miracle on thirty fourth Street with Charles. So yeah, those are my pickups for the month, how about you, sir?
Speaker 2: Well, first, I am very proud to share through our one and only. Also in the chat, mister Stan Geezy sent me a DVD of a film that he helped with called Lord Protector The Riddle of the Chosen. He says, it's an awful movie, but he helped put together the the what is it called here into the Matrix the Making of Lord Protector, and he was on a set for some of this, So I need to watch that. I brought that down. I wasn't gonna share it until I watched that one, but I figured I should share it because I was very adamant with Stan about a month and a half ago that I was not gonna buy this. And I can still say fully honestly, I did not buy this, but I did trade for it because I had a box set that somebody else wanted to This was the only thing that they had that I was partially interested in. I got in the Caligula Deluxe Set from Umbrella, and this thing is so freakin big for a film that I am not even like super interested in. This is such overkill. I am astonished that it weighs almost as much as one of my children.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you pick.
Speaker 2: Of any of the newest releases of Cligler?
Speaker 3: No? I have the what is it? The I've got the Imperial Edition. All Tinto Brass movies.
Speaker 2: Are always within reach.
Speaker 3: This, by the way, is an entire row of Tinto Brass and other cult epics releases. Uh. And you know I'm interested in seeing that, but not interested in paying for it, So.
Speaker 2: Neither was I, which is why I did not. And I'm so glad that I was able to trade for it and didn't have to put down any money at all. Matthew wants to know which Colligilia version is the most explicit, asking for a friend. I believe that's just the regular theatrical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, the Bob GUCCIONI cut.
Speaker 2: Right, the original theatrical. Then the last thing that I'm gonna share, because I think you and I both already talked about this offline, but did not do much Black Friday shopping. But I had like a small amount of money for my discs for the month and got in this set, which, as you can see, have not even torn the plastic off yet because it just got here. But I can't even share this on the screen properly because it's so big.
Speaker 3: The frank.
Speaker 2: And this thing I'm gonna move the mic back is such a unique shape. It's got a little chin so that it pops off of your shelf in a unique way so that you can pull everything out of the front and it's like presented to you. And I just wanted to point out again how Sony is literally the only studio that I feel like genuinely cares about physical media for their films at this point, Warner Brothers is a continuous let down. Versa will put out a blu ray with no special features and then eight months later do a four K with no special features again. MGM, pretty much nothing. Everything else is rough. We are in a barren wasteland just waiting between Sony releases. It feels like, well on the boutiques, I'm just talking about studio stuff. I mean, you should be able to count on them for something.
Speaker 3: When I mean I just don't. I just don't care about that stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have a Sony release in your pickups and I too. That's that's what I mean. What capaloo?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's got nothing new on it.
Speaker 2: Of course, not because that movie's not a part of one of these these bonus releases that they're doing it, but no other like Warner Brothers isn't putting out single releases like that of their older titles that they have. Yeah, and that Disney's a completely different altogether.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as far as studio stuff goes, I get stuff when it comes out, but like you know, if it was made in this century, I probably don't care to own it, right, not because of prejudice, because of objective fact. They suck.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, all right, that means time to talk about some of those recent films that we've been watching. And I'm you've been hyping this up for ages. I'm just so excited to find.
Speaker 3: Out when one time, Nope.
Speaker 2: It's been twice on multiple weeks of phone calls.
Speaker 3: One time I said, you'll laugh at what I watched this past month, So let's hear it. Okay, Well, I'll start with the stuff that's more typical for me. Over Thanksgiving, I was visiting family, which meant that the Criterion streaming platform is what we were going to munch. So I checked out a couple of very interesting Columbia noir uh that they currently have in a curated set. I saw Hugo Haas's Strange Fascination. I got. I really like Hugo Haas. I wrote about his film Lizzie, which is an adaptation of Shirley Jackson's The Bird's Nest. I wrote about it for in an essay that appeared in a book called Shirley Jackson A Companion. Strange Fascination. So, Hugo Haas is one of Scorsese's favorite directors, and uh, he's He's this guy who terribly traumatized, as one would be by the Holocaust, fled poland his brother, who was a renowned pianist, and his father were killed in Auschwitz. He came to Hollywood and started making b noir films, all of which were extremely masochistic and kinky like. He's super obsessed with blondes, and in this one strange fascination he directed and stars as a concert pianist who comes to America to seek fame and fortune, only to be brought down at the feet of an icy blonde. Even features an explicit scene of cuckolding that's quite entertaining to watch with my seventy four year old parents. Also saw Jacques Tunur's Nightfall with Aldo Ray and it was nice. Death by Snowblower Wisconsin Noir Wyoming not Wisconsin Wyoming Noir Got My I Got My w s. It's mixed up Nightfall. That's great. Jack Tinner also saw this. This is great, This should be re released. A little noir called The Killer That's Stalked in New York City and it's about jewel smugglers. Right. This woman smuggles some jewels from Cuba, only to find that her two time and boyfriend is cheating on her with her sister. And also that she has smallpox, and the movie, Yeah, it's Plague Nore Smallpox starts going around New York City. Dead Kids, Erica. I can't remember if this one's in your book, but if it's not, there's Dead Kids. Smallpox starts going around New York and it becomes a propaganda film about getting vaccinated and how important that is is to h to patriotism seems quaint. And finally, finally, finally, I watched what is often hailed as one of the greatest Icelandic films ever made, Rams You're Here. Rams is directed by Greamer Hackerson, and it's about these two brothers who raised sheeps and haven't spoken each other in forty years. And you would not believe how much Penis is in this movie. Not Ram Penis old Guy Penis. Old Guy Penis got two requests for title repeats Stan the Plague Noir is the killer that stalked New York and Erica again, apologies, this may be in the book and I just missed it, but the Dead Kid movie is the killer that stalked New York. All right, So those now I'm gonna tell you the things that you know you're gonna laugh about. I don't know about you, but I got a little depressed at the beginning of the month. Oh you don't say yeah, oh yeah. There was an Aussie remake of Rams with Samuel I believe les penis stupid. Yeah, And so I did something that I don't think I ever thought that I would have done ever. But I was just like, you know what, I can't sleep, I can't think right, I can't speak, can't talk, can't do anything I want right, danzing. So I decided to watch the entire DC Universe film series. I had seen some of them. These the this is what I watched this month, Man of Steel, whoa Batman v? Superman, Dawn of Justice, The Ultimate Cut, whoa Aquaman? Guy's good looking plus plus there's a little Dolph Lungern so oh man uh and I'm I'm also team Amber heard so Shazam, no reaction, mildly amusing Birds of Prey, Okay, okay, black Adam. I liked it. I liked it by the guy who did the Shallows, which is like one of my favorite shark. I thought, no, he had a reason to be mad. He had a reason to be mad. I liked the fact that he kills the ship out of everybody. Yes, I watched a lot of c g I, but I liked Black Adam Uh Shazam two not quite as amusing. Just like, just like regular kids, once they get the adolescence, they're not as fun to be around and okay, here it comes. Oh no, I'd already seen those two. I've already seen the Wonder Woman as well, and the Snyder cut of Justice League. It's pretty comprehensive. But I kind of liked the Flash. I can't believe it. I don't even like that character, but I watched the FLA last night and I laughed at the funny parts.
Speaker 2: And were they the parts that were meant to be funny?
Speaker 3: I think so. I I intensely enjoyed the nearly Baker's dozen of dead CGI babies. H yeah, So all I have left is Blue Beetle and Aquaman two.
Speaker 2: You have watched so many more of those than me, It is crazy.
Speaker 3: I've watched all of them except for those two.
Speaker 2: I've watched I think two out of the entire universe.
Speaker 3: I'm not proud of it. It's kind of like, I don't know, I did not see League of Super Pets. That's true.
Speaker 2: Uh, is that is that it that you wanted to highlight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I I know that I've put myself like much closer to death much. Oh. I also saw Nora. Oh yeah, you went with that and John went to see Anora in the theater. What do you think of another another superhero movie? In a way, what did I think of it? It's pretty good, you know. I like Sean Baker. Are you are you familiar with his work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's pretty He's pretty all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, Mikey Madson's performance is great. I just I like realized afterwards that she was Pamela Adline's older daughter in that.
Speaker 2: TV show that Yep, Better Things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, it was pretty good. Oh that's right, Erica. I also watched on at the recommendation of Unsung Horrors, I watched Doppelganger, the nineteen ninety four sweaty neo noir with Drew Barrymore, and it was unfreaking believable. One of the greatest climaxes, actually several of the greatest climaxes in movie history. I think Doppelganger needs to be a cinematic graphe release.
Speaker 2: I think that would be excellent, especially after listening to that episode. My week, I've been trying to catch up with some of the ones from this year that I've wanted to so I could get caught up before award season, even though much of the ones that I rewatched or watched will not be in consideration for any of these awards. I caught up with It's What's Inside a Netflix film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, what's that about.
Speaker 2: It's What's Inside. It is about a group of friends that are preparing for a wedding and one of them is like a tech bro that went and worked for some Silvergon Valley company in for the last like six years, they've been working on some prototype and he's got this briefcase and when you open it up, he's got what he calls a game. And it's like when we all used to play Mafia or Werewolf, and his is very different because you hook up these wires to parts of your head and it takes your consciousness and puts it in one of your friend's bodies. And the game is you have to figure out who's in whose body and it gets super existential. Because of that, I will say the movie is not excellent. It gets a little messy, as you can guess from a plot like that, but extremely well shot and they do a lot of really cool things to to keep you in mind of who you're watching. Are you trying to get in my body?
Speaker 3: Do you feel me inside you?
Speaker 2: Not at this moment? Oh next time? Maybe? Fun movie though, and I think most people would enjoy how it was shot more so than the plot itself. Watched Will and Harper?
Speaker 3: Have you seen?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is one that you might have cut up with this year? Did you watch willan Harper? It's a documentary about Will Ferrell and his a friendly that came out as trans during the pandemic and to get used to being in all of their old haunts and the things that they enjoy more than anything, they go on a cross country road trip. And it's really excellent, like very well made, very well balanced documentary. Considering how they shot it, I am kind of impressed that they shared a lot of the stuff that they shared. It was really well mate, just absolutely lovely movie. I think you'd like it.
Speaker 3: I did hear about that.
Speaker 2: The last one I'll share this week, Sweethearts, is out now. I think this one is on Max Max or Hulu it is the first. It's like the first raunchy rom com that I've seen in a while in years that is well done. Again, very happy that we're able to get stuff like this. Maide still Kieren and Schipka is the lead in this, and she steals the movie. She's excellent throughout, like she always is. It is just a story of two friends that were friends in high school. They both go out to college and they keep their long distance relationships that they were in and they realize they want to not be in those relationships and discover college for what it can be. And lots of stuff happens. There's a lot of any moments. It's really well made, and it's not afraid of an R rating, which is nice to see for movies like this in today's day and age. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: There was some good raunchy romantic comedies back in the early two thousands. I like that one, you know, the Sweetest Thing. Oh yeah, yeah, it was a good movie. You made me think of that where Sama Blair gets a guy's prince Albert Cottonerally.
Speaker 2: It's a good movie. Another one that's never had a blu ray.
Speaker 3: I don't think Christina Applegate and Cameron Diaz.
Speaker 4: Cameron Diaz, Yes, movie Palace of Blood.
Speaker 2: We will absolutely be covering Will's top holiday films.
Speaker 3: Is that at the end, he's got a stack? Ready? Do you want to cover those?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I think we should make people sit through the entirety of the announcements. It's just like waiting for Santa Okay. I just didn't want you to lose steam. I know it's I lost steam before the camera went on. I've been up since six am. It is now ten pm. Yep, so I don't get to live in central time.
Speaker 2: I'm one hour behind and I was up earlier than you exactly. Anyways, that is recent pickups and recent watches. Anything else you wanna talk about going on.
Speaker 3: We finished up some visual essays that will be coming out early twenty twenty five that I'm really proud of.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I just read a new booklet essay written by can I say this? Written by Erica Schultz. That's fucking great and I'm really really really looking forward to the release as an entire package. But this essay choice, it's very funny, very funny, very informative, very sharp, not like sharp, like you can you can cut yourself on it. Yeah, those Californians, they think they're going to live forever just because just because time turned backwards.
Speaker 2: I want to point out Matthew says, this is the only channel where a guy wearing a Freddie sweater sitting in front of a herschel Gordon Lewis Box said, discussing a Prince Albert Felicio mishap in film. We'll also discuss Anura.
Speaker 3: And Black Adam.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, and Black Adam and a Plague Norb film.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it was so good. And you know what the best part is, it was only seventy five minutes long.
Speaker 2: That is incredible. Maybe two, I mean, either way, that's that's kind of perfect.
Speaker 3: I think Nightfall was seventy five minutes. I'm a big fan of short movies, said the guy who just watched eleven DC movies.
Speaker 2: And the longer version of one of them.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Hey, I don't I don't want to pile on or anything, but listen, Zack Snyder is not a good storyteller.
Speaker 2: This is not is that I mean, that's not shocking. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I mean, one unresolved comment on it.
Speaker 2: On the essay that she wrote, she's still waiting for response on one thing.
Speaker 3: Oh pardon me, there is a lot.
Speaker 2: Coming up speaking of some of this, I guess he's going off screen speaking of someone's favorite production stuff. Some teases that we are happy to give out we are working on. I think the current open title amount is down at the moment to only like twenty eight titles that we're working on. Eager to see what people's response are to those. We have stuff coming from companies that we have not been on releases for in the past, so eager to be a part of those. And here's some announcement soon for hopefully for some of these will and I have been joking. The first commentary we ever did has still not been announced, and that was recorded. Gosh, we're going on like fourteen fifteen months ago.
Speaker 3: That was I know, we thought I was gonna get announced like a couple weeks ago, and then I was like, ah, but the thing that was announced was like kind of amazing. But then yeah, so it is a real mixed bag, it is.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to check in on that very very well.
Speaker 3: When you all do finally find out the title that's started our partnership, you'll be like, oh yeah, it's so true. That is like the biggest hit that you could have given right now too.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Craig just realized that he needs to pick a winner for the last newsletter off reason to go do that. That's exciting. Somebody's about to win fifty bucks. I believe it's probably time to get into the announcement. Is anything else for someone's favorite that you want to hype up or shout out or.
Speaker 3: Big things coming in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: We are branching out. I can start to reveal some of that, some of the ways that we're helping some of these companies are going to be different in twenty twenty five. We are eager to see that flourish. And I am excited.
Speaker 3: We're branching out, branching out. Are we ready? I am groot.
Speaker 2: Wrong Universe. Let's go to our announcements starting this week with a Certify Incredible title Alice, Sweet Alice coming to four K on February eleventh in the US from Aero Video. Uh. They're also going to be releasing this aeroside exclusive original poster arts, but the extras on this one. We've got a new audio commentary with Richard Harlan Smith, and we've got an archival commentary with the co writer and director Alfred Soul and the editor M. Edward Salier. New interview with a composer on this, Stephen Lawrence.
Speaker 3: It's I think so I thought it was Soul.
Speaker 2: No, not not the two different names there, Sir Alfred Soul and then editor M. Edward Salier.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't mistaken. I thought it was Soul.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, that was weird.
Speaker 3: You're weird. I just want talked about another I just talked about another Alfred Soul movie for a podcast that's gonna be coming out at some point. This was his first movie. I talked about his second movie.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 3: I'm excited now it is going to be on my bits. Oh January show. Interesting, Okay, Yeah, when I give when I give my list of DVDs I have that I want to get upgraded because I had such a good Almost all of my dreams came true this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to do a formal wish list to the gods and amazing and and and uh. An Alfred Soul movie is on it. Perfect.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Alice sweet House. That's pretty good, just pretty good.
Speaker 3: I love this movie. Yeah, I mean it's the movie he's best known for him.
Speaker 2: That is a long comment, Michael, I might come back to you with you a second.
Speaker 3: That was from Audrey Rose, right, I believe.
Speaker 2: So here's a filmmaker that you're pretty familiar with. February seventeenth, in the UK, they are getting Texas Chainsaw Maasker two on four K. This one's got all this new artwork that is very different from the first Blu ray release that Arrow did of this. All of the extras on that first disc are archival, I believe. And then we got a new visual essay by someone you're familiar with. Scout Tafoya says, are we not both the Living Dead? A new visual essay by Miranda Corcoran. I believe everything else on here was archival.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess in the UK they don't have bookstores. I'll tell you one thing. If I would have brought Scout, I would have Yeah, whatever, Scout, good for you, buddy, oh Man, I always include jim My shit whatevers.
Speaker 2: I'll send him this clip. N He's all right, Well, obviously you're you're intimately familiar with Toby Hooper, how do you feel about Texas Chains, I'm asker two.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite about all of the Hooper Yep, Damn, I don't think I knew that. I'm pretty clear about it.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 3: That was the first one I really got into, and the sense of humor is very specifically aligned with my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that checks out, definitely makes sense, all right. Next up another Toby Hooper, Life Force, getting a four K from Arrow in the UK on February seventeenth. Now the biggest deal here, yeah, is a disc. One is the international cut on four K, which didn't not get a four K disc on the screen factory released here in the States only. The theatrical cut was four K. So this one has got a commentary with Douglas Smith moderated by the one and only howardesk Berger. Which it was Howard's birthday just yesterday, I believe, Happy birthday. Then we've got commentary with the makeup effects artist Nick Maeley, moderated by Michael Felscher. We've got an epic look at Cannon and the making of Life Force here, featuring a whole bunch of interviews. This two is the theatrical cut in four K, A lot of stuff that we've had before, but released in the best packaging for this yet. And this again international cut had not been on four K. How do you feel about the difference on the two cuts.
Speaker 3: God, put me on the spot. I'm excited to have him both on four K. Yes, I'm trying to remember all the differences, talking about several years since I've seen.
Speaker 2: Him, the difference is even more nudity.
Speaker 3: Oh, I prefer that one. No, No, pretty excited about this even Yeah, this is a Erica is on a roll tonight a Matilda may blow up doll as a premium that would be that would be a pretty good bundle.
Speaker 2: Seven would have to put it out to get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a solid release. I am eager to pick this one up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then last stop in you MC County from technically from this year. It releases some festivals in twenty twenty three. This is by the one and only friend Galoopi, who's been interviewed on this channel before. This one is coming on Blu Ray in the UK. This is now the third release of this movie. We had the Well Go in the USA, we had the Umbrella in Australia and now this is the beautiful looking Arrow release. Umbrella and Arrow are pretty neck and neck for better release of this film. We've got multiple audio commentaries on this, literally, I think there are yeah, three different audio commentaries on this. New interview with Fran, New visual essay by Matt Donado, making a featurette three screenplay to film comparisons, illustrated collector's booklet with new arts, new writing, reversible sleeve like everything that you can want for a modern indie film.
Speaker 3: Love this movie? Did you watch this one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's good, good, good, good good.
Speaker 3: I watched the first thing when we got back from Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: When Jeremy and I could not stop talking about it. This one coming on February tenth in the UK, February eleventh in North America. Blu Ray from Arrow is A Certain Killer and a Killer's Key double feature. These are from nineteen sixty seven. I've heard that these are great. I've not been able to see either one of these. We've got Tony Rayans doing an audio commentary on both films, a new thirty minute introduction to the films by Mark Roberts, reversible sleeve, and then an illustrated collector's booklet with new writing by Jasper Sharp and Earl Jackson.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a really great release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah. We got so many Hong Kong movies this week, so many to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have not, Michael, We'll be mentioning that momentarily for sure. The Umbrella one didn't have any new features. What do you mean new features. It's the first releases of the film. They're all new features, Chris. Let's go to our next announcement, the final one from Arrow February twenty fourth in the UK, February twenty fifth in North America, a four K release of William Friedkin's Cruising starring Al Pacino. Amazing, amazing movie. This has one hundred and twenty page perfect bound collector's book with articles from The Village Voice and The New York Times, essays from the film's extras cast, and introduction from Friedkin himself, and then an archival interview with Al Pacino. We've got two archival commentaries and a new commentary featuring original musicians involved with the soundtrack, a new interview with Karen Allen. We got a new interview with the actor film consultant, former police detective Randy Jurgensen, then a bunch of archival interviews, a new visual essays surrounding the Hanky Codes featuring the actor and writer David McGillivray, and then a short film by Jim Hubbard. There's a lot on here that I couldn't even list because there were so many features. This is pretty damn great. You were just getting warmed up literally, yeah, yeah, And now I might just step in.
Speaker 3: Pacino says that there's nothing after death, So I think we should all cruise as much which as possible while we can cruise while ye may.
Speaker 2: Damn good movie if you've never seen it, And this will absolutely look great in four K.
Speaker 3: So. I grew up in southwestern Virginia, right near the West Virginia state line, very rural area with attitudes that one would stereotypically associate with such an area, And in the early days of the Internet in the late nineteen nineties, I stumbled upon a website I won't say how that gave a map of all of the cruisy areas of Bluefield, West Virginia, which included one bathroom, not all of the bathrooms, but one bathroom in the local super Walmart. And to this day I regret not making a successful connection and said bathroom, but I did. I did go to it to see what sights I might see it or sounds.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how to respond to that, but just thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I thought that was I mean, you know, that's a survival tactic. You know, you're in an area that forces certain people in isolation, and it's a really sad and horrible thing because, as I mentioned before, al Pacino confirmed there's no life after death. And to spend your life force in isolation by what a bunch of fucking assholes being hateful. So to have that kind of that kind of map to connection, yes, a glorious thing. It was. You know, I was just I wouldn't say curious, stan, I would say well informed as a matter of fact. So anyway, kudos to the map baker. That's what I'm trying to say. There's a lot of work in ninety eight, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yes, yes, yes, indeed, the keep let's talk about some Vinegar Syndrome titles. So last Thursday during the show, we had the reveal of the Vinegar Syndrome stuff, and the big thing I always add these afterwards, because there's people obviously that are not watching live, that didn't get to see them, that will see these on social media. But also I get Will's take the following Thursday because you don't get be part of the show.
Speaker 3: I thought we weren't going to have to talk about them.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to talk about them.
Speaker 3: You already talked about him, you talking about with Jeremy and Celeste.
Speaker 2: But we did not get to talk about it with you. Not to mention, we haven't covered the fact that this sold more than fifteen thousand copies in thirty nine hours. That's insanity.
Speaker 3: The first season A Family Guy sold four and a half million copies.
Speaker 2: It did, and it's a different time.
Speaker 3: I know it's a sad thing, isn't that.
Speaker 2: It really is? But I will say it is a huge deal that a boutique company could sell fifteen thousand copies of any title in twenty twenty four in thirty nine hours. Yeah, that's that's almost Oppenheimer numbers from just last year. Oppenheimer in the first week sold fifty thousand copies.
Speaker 3: To a bunch of disappointed people. I'm sure I'm excited about I want to I'm really excited to see what this movie is supposed to look like. Right, I've only ever seen it on a pretty let's see I saw it them vhs and oh oh. Criterion had it streaming last year or maybe the year before last, but it still wasn't.
Speaker 2: Like it was just the DVD.
Speaker 3: Right yet, so pretty stoked about this. I mean, it hasn't changed my life, you know. I know some people say it's the greatest film like in history. I'm prepared to accept that if upon third viewing, if that's the case. You know, Michael Man's pretty good. I don't have any bad things to say. This release looks amazing. So I feel like I'm being disappointing. You're like, we can't wait. We got to hear what Will is. I don't have anything to say about it. It's great, it's coming out.
Speaker 2: That is enough. People are here because they love you, Will.
Speaker 3: That is not true. They're here because they have a habitual dependence on you.
Speaker 2: And I mean that that's a part of it, sure, but.
Speaker 3: I think that's good. That's important. It's a community. Look looking from this a good bar and the keep back to back, I mean, talk about something.
Speaker 2: And Cannibal don't forget that one.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but I'm not gonna put Cannibal the Musical in the same category as it.
Speaker 2: Odd honestly, it was about that category for people that were after those that were never never on like proper HD physical media, and now to do all three of those in one slate is kind of amazing.
Speaker 3: Well technically Cannibal's de Gaussier.
Speaker 2: Yes, but still released by Vindegar Syndrome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I ordered it. I'm pretty stoked.
Speaker 2: Uh, you read books. Everybody's been talking about The Keep. Have you ever read the book that The Keep is based on? Nope, purd It's pretty great.
Speaker 3: All right here, right along, I'll put it on the list.
Speaker 2: The other secret title that we revealed is Sliver. This is the nineteen ninety three erotic thriller. Is this one that you have seen before?
Speaker 3: Sir? I never saw this, And I thought that UB forty song was so shitty and like an entire year of the of nineteen ninety whatever three? When did this come out? Yeah, ninety three, couldn't escape that damn song. But I also recently listened to Katrina Lungworth's series on the erotic nineties. Yeah, you must remember remember this I think I talked about that last time, and so the episode on Sharon Stone Basic Instinct Sliver definitely got me intrigued to see it easily. Top five Baldwin brother, So.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna watch Rust? The one that Alec Baldwin killed somebody?
Speaker 3: On? Wow?
Speaker 2: I mean just calling it like it, like it happened.
Speaker 3: I think that meets the legal a standard for slander. No, not at all. He was found not responsible.
Speaker 2: I never said he was responsible, but it's unknown fact that his action did it got him.
Speaker 3: You must feel like, I'm not gonna pileup that.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking if you're gonna watch the movie.
Speaker 3: He has to live with that the rest of us.
Speaker 2: He does, and it's very sad.
Speaker 3: It was horrible. I'm not making a joke about that.
Speaker 2: I'm not asking you to make a joke. I wasn't making a.
Speaker 3: Joke well to make the tragedy even worse. The movie didn't look that good.
Speaker 2: No, that's the hard.
Speaker 3: Like it's like go ahead, no no.
Speaker 2: Thomas says the keep situation is crazy, and then for vinegar syndrome to suddenly have stock again after the imprint announcement is wild and without question and obvious money grab. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. I mean, they they paid to get stuff printed, they just didn't know how many to have on hand, and they put in a second order. That's not I mean, first off, they're a company. They're supposed to sell stuff. So yeah, it's not really a money grab. They it's selling. Why would they not allow more copies to be sold. It wasn't out a print, it's just restocking. They did the same for another title Went that ran out during the sale as well.
Speaker 3: It's all the money grab, my friend, Like the late Frederick Jamison said, it's easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the end of capitalism.
Speaker 2: This is true. This is true, all right. So that was sliver. Next one is Women on the Run, which is one that Vinegar Syndrome themselves accidentally leaked by posting a picture of the palette arriving at the warehouse before this sale.
Speaker 3: That's funny phrasing. They were leaked Women on the Run.
Speaker 2: They did leak Women on the Run, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, speaking of capitalism, I'll tell you what. They've even managed to commodify freaking unibomber lifestyle. This the cabin porn they do now, which is not the cabin porn you and I are used to. It's like it's like they're fetishizing living out in the woods and and and being a carpenter and ship. But the only people who the only people we can do that are the people who have the memes too, you know, purchase raw materials and yeah, it's this. It's like it's it's like, uh, this this bougie version of primitive lifestyle. It's just it's, uh, it's horrible. But the thing about women will run which I watched the trailer to this and it looks fantastic and what a set of uh. Special features essay by Erica Schultz. Video essay by Sam Degan. Look at all the commentaries and the interviews, the movie itself looks fantastic. I can't wait to watch this. I'm just gonna spend money on it, and I'm gonna watch it in my rental that has electricity and internet in a flat screen TV. And I'm not gonna pretend like I live out in the woods like Henry David Throw who, by the way, took his laundry every month to his mom and Ralph Walder Emerson paid for the cabin. So this fucking bullshit talk about cash grabs, the cabin porn. That's the real villain here, all right.
Speaker 2: So this is Women on the Run, the Cat three film from nineteen ninety three. This is directed by David Lyon Coreyjon. This is gonna include a commentary with Travis Woods. Is gonna be great, of course, interview with David Lai, conversation with the producer Shantan, the production manager Michael Parker, as will said, a visual essay by Sam Degan, a sixteen page booklet with an essay by the one and only Erica Schultz, and cannot wait to get this in.
Speaker 3: You know. The only thing and the only thing about this movie that's a lie is producer co creator David Lai. This is an authentic film. That's what I'm trying to say. Uh, That's what I'm trying to say. Is that is that what you're trying to say down with rustic lifestyle posers? Roddy SAIDs finally someone puts the row. Yeah, oh man, all right, because it's easy to take a stand when you're being bankrolled, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that is the vssay that came out during the sale. The VSA well is Neither the Sea nor the Sand from nineteen seventy two Wills this one you had even heard of before?
Speaker 3: This sounds like a Henry David throw journal. So it's the oh okay, So it's like a British monkey paw in a way in a way near the ocean.
Speaker 2: This one has a commentary with Jonathan Rigby, Kevin Lyons on it, interview the producer Peter Fetterman, interview with the actress Susan Hampshire. We've got a couple other interviews on here as well. This one sounded really great. I had never heard of it before the interview. I did, but before the sale and eager to see this one for sure. Yet just like Dallas said, love the cover on the slip cover.
Speaker 3: And go on, Jonathan Rigby picks up all the rights in the church or whatever.
Speaker 2: I love that you did that. As Sibner was commenting it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny. It's like we have the same brain.
Speaker 2: Who killed Teddy Bear from nineteen sixty five is the next cinematograph title, Nice sal mineow Joint. Love the art on this one too. This is great looking cinematograph release.
Speaker 3: Rubber. I like it.
Speaker 2: I've got a new audio commentary with Elizabeth Purcell and kJ Shephard on this. Visualized by Chris O'Neill Coachreette on the New York City locations of Who Killed Teddy Bear? And the new text essays by John Charles and Kyle Turner. Once again a winning looking set. And yes that is Tony Stella art on there, Craig nice, this looks excellent.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, It's terrible time to be broken precariously employed, isn't it though?
Speaker 2: Ugh, Hey, I've heard of this movie. Deaf Crocodile's Felladay. This is their second four KUHD titles is from nineteen ninety four. Can be pre ordered now from Diabolic, directly from Deaf Crocodile, from Orbit Atomic, pretty much everywhere else that you get your physical media, brand new Dolby Vision HDR color grade to go with the new four K restoration that Craig Rogers himself did a new video interview with the director Michael Shock, moderated by Dennis Bartok. New video interview with the Key animation team, New video interview with the layout designer. New commentary by doctor will Dodson and myself.
Speaker 3: In case you're wondering how much we talk about the cat Sacks.
Speaker 2: It is not a it's a non zero number.
Speaker 3: Quite a bit, quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh yes. This one also has an eighty page illustrated book book with a new essay by Jennifer Lynn Barker and by Walt Chaw. Again excellent looking and release. This thing is beautiful, highly highly highly recommended. The other one is the one that we talked about right before we went into the announcements, The Golden Fern from nineteen sixty three. Another great release, astonishing artwork. Again, hard to overlook that we've got three rare early shorts from the director on this one as well.
Speaker 3: We've got a video.
Speaker 2: Interview with the filmmaker's son, new commentary with Peter Hams and check film expert Irena Kovarova, a visual essay by Evan Chester, and then this reversible cover art by Beth Morris, plus a sixty page book with an introduction by Alexander Payne that the director of the Holdovers wrote an intro for this new essay by Peter Hams of Walt Shaw, and then memories of the cinematographer Beadrick Batka by the writer William Robertson. Excellent package for.
Speaker 3: This The pain was a student of you E Weiss, right, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Excellent film though rightfully, well, I shouldn't say rightfully understandably getting overlooked because Philada is a huge deal for animation nerds and people that have wanted it for years. Check out the Golden Fern. Don't don't overlook this one absolutely needs to be a part of your shelf.
Speaker 3: I'm a nerd for foliage.
Speaker 2: Especially middle tinted foliage.
Speaker 3: Freak.
Speaker 2: Do you have a foliage fetish? Never mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, ferns are my favorite. I get freaky with the ferns. Hey, all right, hey, don't give me a no friend, gully. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: That over at die Ballock. Right now, you can order three reprinted slips of their back catalog titles kin zat Za. You can get The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians or Progue Nights. These all currently come with a slipcover, and the title with the slipcover is cheaper than the title without the slipcover. These are all only twenty dollars apiece and they only made three hundred of each. If you want one of these new versions, which includes the newer Scanovo type of case that they've been doing, you should check it out cause these look excellent.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's tempting. I have copies of all three, but they're slipless.
Speaker 2: Mmmmm all only twenty bucks and ken Zaza's got an excellent visual essay.
Speaker 3: I'll say that.
Speaker 2: Yes, some more stuff revealed by Vinegar Syndrome. They did the Beast Master as one of their Degausser VHF slide up things that they're doing.
Speaker 3: No, to quote a nearly great states Wollman, we're not going back.
Speaker 2: Well, if that's not tempting, I had what about Aide to Black?
Speaker 3: No, I had to deal with VHS copies of both of those films for decades. I shall not return, are you sure? Yes? No, shade to anybody who wishes to view such films on degraded format, but I shall not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm not a VHS person either. Anyways, let's keep going. Next is the Passions of Carol. This is over on the MILIU scene site as part of the Quality X line. This is from nineteen seventy five and the main character in this is Carol Scrooge. Yeah, this is a version of a Christmas Carol starring Jamie Gillis newly scanner restored in four with an audio commentary with the director Sean Costello moderated by the one and only Joe Rubin. There is also a trailer, but that is it that is on this disc. I'm very very curious about this one.
Speaker 3: This features the the Ghost of Christmas making a pass, the Ghost of Christmas presenting, and the Ghost of Christmas.
Speaker 2: Coucher stretched on the last one. But I'm into its yep. One thing that I want to point out here and I don't I don't want to start anything, but I really don't like the slipcover art on this and normally I'm not wanting to make a big deal out of it, but this to me is screaming AI.
Speaker 3: Oh. I was just thinking it wasn't all that erotic, but yeah, no it's not.
Speaker 2: But I mean, especially this face here in the middle that looks like something generated by computer system and they just colored over M and even the front like it's not rock title sorry, this like I could easily see that being something that was generated by AI. Why are we doing this?
Speaker 3: They said? AI. Please generate the form of the ideal human.
Speaker 2: Male extra on the chops.
Speaker 3: Please. They're like, oh, that must be Phasic with hair. Wait wait, Phasic is Andre the Giant, isn't it? Yes? Shit, No, the never cheat death for the Sicilian or never what never go up against the Sicilian when death is on the line.
Speaker 2: That guy, that's what he was like, again, I don't necessarily want to claim this is AI because I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's just me.
Speaker 2: I completely am. However, there it feels like there's some fuckery here.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it would be funny as if the artist who handrew that is watching right now and just like crying like they think my heart is AI.
Speaker 2: Anyways, that's the passions of Carol.
Speaker 3: Was like he was about to show his mom, like, guess what I finally made it. I'm doing slipcovers for classic porno and and mom is like that just looks like a computer, son, you're a failure, or at school with joke, you're a joke.
Speaker 2: The next Quality X title is Alexander from nineteen eighty three. Here is this one clearly not AI, but also just steals from the film. Robert Freeman is the director of this one. We've got a new video interview with the screenwriter, Don Walters of Variety Films and Archival Image Gallery, and that's Mili you see for this month.
Speaker 3: There was a long time ago Synapse put out a forty Seconds Street Forever and it was like a collection of adult film trailers and this was one of them that I remember seeing, and the trailer for it was Choice. I can't quote anything from it, but I remember a bunch from the trailer. I'm interested in actually seeing this movie. Actually, I'm interested in a pornographic Christmas Carol too, regardless of the quality of the sitcom.
Speaker 2: Roddy Roddy's this question is Alexander single?
Speaker 3: She's not single, but she is available Alexandra and she.
Speaker 2: Is Well, that was gonna be free. Never mind, let's get that. April Cauldron is releasing four films from Lamberto Bava in a box set called Brevido Jiallo. This is going to include a four film horror giallo series directed by Lambert Obava. Each film in this set is a standalone, fully featured production that was completed between eighty seven and eighty nine. The film stories are not connected, but we're collected together for Italian television near the end of the eighties. What you're getting here is four of these late eighties Italian horror films, loaded with practical effects and killer music, all directed by Bava, and they are releasing all four of them together. We've got loaded brand new features, many of them by Eugenio Ercolani, including four with Lambert Tobava himself, an exclusive new interview with the composer Simon Boswell, Alhause and Richard Rigid. Outer box with full wow four folded posters featuring new artwork by Eric Adrian Lee.
Speaker 3: Just in case you wanted to cover an entire room with Lamberto Bova posters. Now you have the uh from only two years of his career, neither of which were neither of which are demons. That's great, true, true. Speaking of demons, I highly recommend because the ogre is part of this, I highly recommend going to YouTube and looking for Joe Bob Briggs' explanation of the Demons series quote unquote, Demons series is quite a.
Speaker 2: Hoot and it's literally like barely over five minutes, completely worth your time.
Speaker 3: Yes, Unlike most Joe Bob randts, it's fairly concise.
Speaker 2: It's less of a rant and more of an educational system. It's uh, Brendan says, Jamie Gillis must have been like the Eric Roberts of Adult Comes Back. Then, Yes, absolutely, uh Brendan says, this is so sick. Cauldron's like Meet Severn. That is a great explanation. Actually, let's see, Dinner with a Vampire is pretty great, so is the Ogre. I definitely just read that backwards and made it work. Thanks Brian. So the extras on these. Disc one is Graveyard Disturbance. This one is gonna have a four K restoration from the negative. It will have an interview with a bunch of people from this film, an audio commentary by Eugenie Orkilani and Nanikobretti, folded poster reverse blu ray rap. And then this two is Until Death. That one is gonna have a four K scan as well. Another set with a bunch of interviews, another audio commentary, this one by Erkolani and Troy Howarth. Disc three is The Ogre. This one will have a couple of interviews on this and then audio commentary by Rachel Nisbett. Disc four is Dinner with the Vampire. This one we got a bunch of interviews audio commentary with Eric Laani, Nathaniel Thompson and Troy Howorth. And you can pre order that now but again not shipping until April. They've also got a bonus disc. Disc five will be a CD the original soundtrack compilation by Simon Boswell. In the limited edition only, it will be limited to twenty five hundred copies.
Speaker 3: Man, I really want this, but I also had a crushing realization. Uh oh, Like if tomorrow I started watching two movies a day out of my collection and watched two movies every day without repeats, it would take me fourteen years to watch all my movies.
Speaker 2: That is much better than I expected. That's to a day, right, but that's still much better than I expected, like forty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean I've got Shoa yep. So I'm not gonna be able to do two every day, totally get it. Do I have room for these four? That's another extra two days? Well, so we've got people saying that none of these are Jalla, but they fail to recognize that Bravedo is Italian for sorta.
Speaker 2: That was the best line of the night so far, Jase Delito beat oh man, this sort of accent was perfect. We're gonna comment Gaming TV says erowbox sets are typically sixty to seventy Cauldron box sets ninety to one hundred. Yeah, yeah, Cauldron box sets are more expensive. I will point out Aerow is a much larger company owned by a corporation, and their costs are going to be much lower for a lot of this, So it does make sense small business is worth supporting.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the government don't do.
Speaker 2: It, and Dallas says some people are mad they don't have the Italian audio tracks on their DVDs. I hate to say it, but I mean quite often things just are not available, either for restoration, due to sound elements, or just the rights. You can't get the rights to everything. It's not like that.
Speaker 3: Some people just won't allow themselves to be happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wasn't gonna go there, but yeah, that's absolutely a big part of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's always something missing.
Speaker 2: It's true, absolutely true. Ronnie says, according to Letterbox, I've watched ninety one percent of my collection excellent.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Matthew says, according to Letterbox, I'm a shut ind loser.
Speaker 3: Once I log all these DC movies, it'll say the same for me. Now I'm gonna start watching all the fucking DC cartoons on Max.
Speaker 2: Next month will be I watched the DC League of Super Pets. Let's discuss the.
Speaker 3: Entirety of Teen Titans live action show, Aaron says, willdo's breveto bit of oh man? Uh hey?
Speaker 2: During the sale. This last week, I put up an interview with Joe Rubin and Oscar from Vinegar Syndrome. Primarily was for Joe, but Oscar was there for moral support for Joe. I hope people check it out. It was he doesn't do many interviews, No, he he was hard to get on the show. It took a lot of handholding, and I'm glad that we could get it done.
Speaker 3: Looks like he's hard to get into the sun, uh probably, which I can say the same for myself.
Speaker 2: Anyways, check out the interview. Hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Not too many archivists with tans. And you want to know a funny Tanner beds story. Sure, So when I lived in Kentucky there was this video store I would frank frequent and for some reason, in the early two thousands, video stores almost always had Tanner beds as well. Like side Hustle whatever, This particular video store I thought was pretty brazen because it put its special porno room right next to the checkout, So if you were going to go browse the big boxes for adult titles, you had to do so like in full view of the checkout clerk. And it wasn't like a beaded doorway. You had to open a door which was loud, definitely in need of lubricant. Open the door, go in, close it behind you, then open it back up, bring out your little tags to indicate which sinful titles you had selected based on the dirty pictures on the covers, and then the clerk would would get them for you while families milled about. And where I lived was one of the poorest counties in the nation, and I'm up renting a movie. In fact, I think I was actually no. I had a complaint because I had rented Fanny and Alexander and it had only given me cassette two. It was just the Alexander were missing, like the whole first two hours, and I was like, do you have the rest of them? They're like, we only have what we have, and I was like, well, I guess it's kind of amazing you have half a Fanny and Alexander. But anyway, speaking of Fanny, I'm up there at the clerk, and these two guys walk up with their hats with like duck hunting slogans and Confederate flags, and their their back of their blue jeans worn in a circular shape where they're where their snuffcans were kept. And they both had lotion bottles in their hands, and they were standing right next to the door to the pornography room pornography room, and I thought to myself, my god, these guys are so like cashboard that they're just coming to the corner room to whack it to the pictures. And I'm like this, this is crazy, like where do I live? But actually it turned out they were there for an even stranger reason, so to lay in the tanning beds. I guess they just got back from work in the mines or whatever, and they wanted to get a tan and the bottles of lotion were for them to rub upon their Yeah, we got it, nude torsos. Perhaps it was a Cruisy video store. I don't know, I didn't have a map for that region, but any rate and Dead's Room Family Video store, ah, one of my favorite Christmas movies.
Speaker 2: What a transition that was Silent Night, Deadly Night. We had word this week that Silent Night, Deadly Night on four K from Shout Factory looks like it might be region locked to Region A. I had somebody reach out and I asked them a couple of questions to make sure that this was accurate. But as it turns out, Screen Factory has done it again and accidentally or mischievous, we don't know. They have locked one of their four ks. This one is stuck in Region A.
Speaker 3: This lump of coles for you France.
Speaker 2: So everybody that was purchasing that that was overseas, you may want to stay away, all right? That was that the two jakes from nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 2: Sort of sequel to change. Yes, So I've got a four K.
Speaker 3: All region free thing player, and I pressed the button to make it change to different regions, and half the time it works, and half the time it doesn't work. So that works for locked four k's as well, right it should?
Speaker 2: Yes, Why is it only working half the time? Or is that exaggeration for comedy?
Speaker 3: Nope, that's not funny, No, it's not I follow the instructions that's I press the button. Sometimes it works, sometimes don't. That's I think that's why the company is called Eureka, because when I get my player to work, I'm like Eureka, two Jakes. Wasn't this the bonus feature on something Chinatown?
Speaker 2: This is the sequel to Chinatown? Uh?
Speaker 3: I got that Chinatown release?
Speaker 2: H Brenda is asking do these companies have to pay a fine when they when they lack a four K that isn't supposed to be Uh? They do not because the BDA, which is the authority for the blu Ray copyright, they're supposed to be the ones that are enforcing these and holding these companies accountable, and they just simply choose not to. They they could, if it happens enough times, they could pull the ability for one of these companies to use the four K logo and the four K format itself, and not just simply not give them a license.
Speaker 3: You had another example of government bureautic bureaucratic incompetence that thankfully we'll be cleaning up here forthwith.
Speaker 2: Everything about that sentence was fully wrong, just just for everybody watching. Oh is it not a It's not a government agency?
Speaker 3: Yet more corporate malfeasan.
Speaker 2: It's a bad week to talk about corporate mouthfies. Why uh I assume that you know about what happened in New York.
Speaker 3: Giuliani won't give up his stuff.
Speaker 2: No, the CEO of United Healthcare.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was like the plot of Saw six, my favorite of the series.
Speaker 2: It's a very good, good film.
Speaker 3: That's the funny one. That was a tough one because, like you know, you hate when someone.
Speaker 2: Is murdered, right, well you should, yeah, But at the.
Speaker 3: Same time, well you know, I also hate it when people die of preventable illnesses or treatable illnesses. Yea, because because insurance won't cover.
Speaker 2: So Michael Smith is asking how to labels get away with not locking the releases? Isn't it in the contract? Two things. One on Blu Ray, it's not always in the contract. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. It's up to the rights holder. But on four K on UHD, there is not supposed to be any locked discs. It is not written into the format. There is no region ABC. The reason it happens accidentally, from what I've been told through authoring, they simply just forget to change the settings from a regular Blu Ray because a four KUHD is so similar to the Blu Ray. It's literally as easy as like checking a box and unchecking a box, and they just forget to uncheck the box like they're supposed to.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's horrifying to me. I mean, if that happens for our four k's, what do you think happens to Like, I don't know that vaccine experiments. It's true.
Speaker 2: Uh, and yeah, Michael with Blu rays, I mean it's not in every contract. In some contracts it is, but there's I mean there's a lot of rights holders that simply don't care. Or also, you could have it in the contract that you own World ride rights and it can be region free completely.
Speaker 3: So if you get a copy of this but you already have the limited edition of Chinatown, you'll have.
Speaker 2: Four jakes, which is.
Speaker 3: Never mind at least three too many. That's so many jakes.
Speaker 2: You snorted it your own joke.
Speaker 3: I love this. Uh, let's do this.
Speaker 2: I tried to highlight some of the smaller sales. I believe all of these are over at this point. Just keep an eye out on some of these labels that don't get enough attention during during months that everybody else is having a sale. Arbelows and listen mcgil Flicker, Alley, Grasshopper, make Flix. Everybody had Black Friday sales going on.
Speaker 3: Make Flix's got some good stuff. Dinosaur Island, Baby. I think.
Speaker 2: That sounds right.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, yeah, you know. I was just so Kevin Bacon's and two Whitewater films, and I think some people are river wild people and other people are whitewater summer people. I'm a whitewater summer person, so sell me on this one.
Speaker 2: Ryan Mayle Streep and Kevin Bacon whitewater rafting together.
Speaker 3: Kevin Bacon psychotically abusing to little boys, also whitewater rafting, and that's why I Whitewater Summer.
Speaker 2: I'll probably watch both. I'm all over putting out The River Wild on four K soon. I'm really glad I did not buy the studio Blu ray, which I almost did. Yeah, I'm glad I will get this soon on four K.
Speaker 3: Whitewater Summer. One of the kids is Sean Aston. That checks out. I'll tell you, uh. Whitewater Summer, along with a never released on Blu Ray Don Coscarelli film Survival Quest starring a young Catherine Keener. Prior to corrective dental surgery. One of the largest front tooth gaps in the history of biology dentistry. Jesus, but a great double feature. Whitewater Summer Survival Quest. You've never seen survival Quests and you like Phantasm and the Beast Master, you need to see Survival Quest. It's a bunch of people backpack in the woods getting trapped. I'm gonna survive.
Speaker 2: I'm chocked. Survival Quest never got a blu ray I thought it did. That's on my list, all right, Carrion right along. Then hey the keep if you haven't heard enough about it this Earlier in the show, Imprint announced that they are also doing it on four K soon. And now, just to quell anybody's thoughts on this, because there was a lot of people that said it's suspicious that we couldn't find this for years, and now vinegar Syndrome and Imprint is doing it. Yeah, they figured it out the right, So now multiple companies can do it in different territories. That's not surprising. This happens all the time. The other big thing, this is likely going to be the exact same restoration that Vinegar Syndrome did. It might have different slightly different encoding, which even then it probably will not. It's probably gonna be done by fidelity in motion as well.
Speaker 3: The release.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing is this might have different bonus features. Imprint usually does that. And just a fair warning for everybody said they were going to wait for the Imprint and see if there's a director's cut. It will not have a director's cut. It does not exist. The elements are not there.
Speaker 3: Do not plan on that.
Speaker 2: It is not something that you're going to be able to get.
Speaker 3: So all comes down to which packaging maybe price point yep, whether whether you're looking to be a completionist for Vinegar Syndrome or for Imprint.
Speaker 2: And also depending on where you live. I mean if you live in Australia, this is going to be the cheaper and easier one to get.
Speaker 3: No doubt that would make sense.
Speaker 2: For those that don't know Imprint is in Australia.
Speaker 3: For those who don't are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said it wrong.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We got a bunch of details about Kino stuff. This week February eleventh is when we get the four K of Dante's Peak ninety seven. This has nothing new on it, including no at most, which a lot of people are gonna be upset about. We got a question for you, reservoir fellow wants to know, did you pre order Thong Girls from seven?
Speaker 3: I stared at the bundle. I sweat, I bargained with myself, I spoke to my spiritual advisor, I I meditated, I prayed, and just as I was about to explain to my children why we couldn't have Christmas this year, the bundle sold out. And so then I looked at the just the discs, and I nodded to myself. I'll be getting thongb Girls, I'll be getting Jungle Holocaust. I'll be upgrading my Cannibal Elms. I will get it. I will get it.
Speaker 2: I am so excited for you to have Thun Girls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can never pass up of just Franko movie.
Speaker 2: All right? That is Dante's peak played again. Sam the Woody Allen movie getting a Blu Ray release on February eleventh. This will have a new commentary by the screenwriter, producer Alan Spencer, and the author and film a Story and Justin Humphreys. I am kind of proud of this, so I'm gonna repeat my joke. Somebody said, what is going on on the right side of the slipcover, Diane Keaton does not have ten legs, and I said, that's true, but five Diane Keatons do.
Speaker 3: Speaking of thung girls, not the best look in twenty twenty four for Woody Allen, but then ay, he's never looked that good.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Are you being served?
Speaker 2: The movie from nineteen seventy seven will release on Blue from Keno on February eighteenth. This has an audio commentary by authors and comedy historians Gimma and Robert Ross. This is one of the UK troops that put out some comedy films from back then. This one is from nineteen seventy seven. I had never seen this one. Will this kind of seems like one that you would have seen. Did have you ever seen this one?
Speaker 3: British British comedy.
Speaker 2: Yes, no it's not.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you would think that. It just seems like a you would have maybe seen it. I apologize. I mean, I'm not against it, it's just like.
Speaker 2: The British that's what I heard there.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there are natural enemies historically speaking, like we've been to war with them twice, like they're tied with Iraq, tied with Iraq, and Germany is like our most hated enemies.
Speaker 2: It's hard to argue with. All Right, let's talk about some deaf crocodile subscriptions. They've got two options for you. If you are going to be a US subscriber, This second semi annual subscription is three hundred dollars two ninety nine ninety five. On this subscription you will get de luxe editions of all of these Cathedral of New Emotions, Gwen and The Book of Sand and four K Freckled Backs and The Spooks, Bill Plimpton's I Married a Strange Person, The Inflat Sex Doll of the Wastelands, Bill Plimpton's Mutant Aliens, Kingdom and the Clouds, and Mama Rock and Roll woof, and then Masters of Soviet Animation Volume one. And you'll also get some random film trading cards, access to exclusive subscriber only goodies, early shipping, and a guaranteed copy of all of the limited editions, because they are going to be lowering the number of limited editions that they're doing, uh, and they are possibly going to sell out, so you got to pay attention to the stock counts. They wanted to do an infinite amount of them, but people love their fomo, so we gotta sell it. You forgot one, I forgot one plus? Oh those are you can add them on later? Oh those are not included.
Speaker 3: I believe are Are we allowed to say which ones you were on?
Speaker 2: I think we are?
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Uh. I'm gonna wait for Craig to say yes or no. The international version of this, though, is going to be available now. It's one sixty four to ninety five plus shipping depending where you are, and you get Cathedral of New Emotions Gwen in the Book of San four k Freckle, maxim the Spooks, and Bill Plimpton's I married a strange person, and you're going to get the same trading cards, access to early stuff and all the other goodies. You can only buy this at Diabolic DVD and check them out. Oh those are included. I was wrong, Thanks Craig. So the spectacular sci fi visions of East German director Gottfried Cold It Signals the Space Adventure and In the Dust of Stars is included for the US version and the international version as well. You're welcome, no add ons required for those new subs. You get everything because they're almost done with them. They've been working on all of them. These are ready to go, a whole bunch of titles to get that US version. You're getting a lot of stuff for only three hundred bucks at this point. That is a great deal.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That two film sci fi set will have an exclusive cover just for subscribers.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: That's pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people, if you haven't gotten. I don't want to sound like a shill for Deaf Crocodile, because I'm not. I'm just this is an objective fact. The these the limited edition covers, I mean, they're like handsomely bound books that you They just look incredible, really nice, really nice stuff.
Speaker 2: They really are.
Speaker 3: Like I had to, I had to raise my Renter's insurance premium because now I've got all these Deaf Crocodile titles.
Speaker 2: Not damn it, Craig, your stuff is too nice, all right? That is Deaf Crocodile subs. Next up, Keno on February eighteenth, in their Keno cult line, releasing crawl Space from nineteen eighty six. That is an evocative slipcover. I really like that poster.
Speaker 3: Crawl Space is awesome and it's worth it, I guess This must be a re release, because I've already was it. Did Scream or Show Factory put it out before? Yeah? Okay, so it's the same. It's got a new our audio commentary. But it's worth it just for the Please Kill Mister Kinski short film that David Schmuller made. I don't know if you all aware this, but klaus Kinski was a troubled man.
Speaker 2: Oh I've never heard this.
Speaker 3: And in addition to committing various unsavory crimes, was also occasionally difficult to work with on set, and Schmoller has some really amazing stories about making Cross Space with Klauskinski. It's also a pretty good movie. It's got some scary moments, like if your nightmares don't include Klaus Kenzi crawling towards you in an air duct, they will.
Speaker 2: In other words, you may want this. Michael says, I got a very unexpected windfall of one thousand bucks today. So guess who has two thumbs and a deaf crocodile subscription? Excellent, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you got them both.
Speaker 2: We got some brand new Shout Factory announcements this month, February fourth. They are doing a Chinese Odyssey Parts one and two from nineteen ninety five. These are two Stephen Chow films. We've got a new interview with Gary Bettenson, We've got an interview with Gilbert po and then new audio commentary with Frank Janing. That's all on the first film. The second one is going to have some interviews as well, and then another commentary with Frank Jang and that looks to be excellent release.
Speaker 3: It's a Stephen challisance lately, you know. Sure is like if all you knew him from was what was it called Shallon Soccer Soccer? Yeah, yeah, which for many years was the only film of his I'd seen. And now, gosh, there's like a score. There are two score Stephen Chowe movies available now. How much is in a score?
Speaker 2: Fourteen?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's in Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 2: That's the quantity for no, sorry, a score is twenty. I apologize.
Speaker 3: A score is twenty in Dungeons and Dragons. A score is the quantity of crossbo crossbow bolts you buy.
Speaker 2: I learned something every single time we talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well at least it wasn't the second edition. I don't know about now.
Speaker 2: Times have changed slightly.
Speaker 3: Oh now it's all about the numbers.
Speaker 2: Hey, February fourth, they are releasing Sick on four K. This is from twenty twenty three. This is the one that was written by Kevin Williamson, and this is gonna have a bunch of new bonus features. We got three new audio commentaries on this movie, one with Alan Serni, one with Getting Adlin and Beth Million, one with the director, John Hymes and Yarin Levy, the cinematographer. And then on the Blu Ray disc we also have four new Blu Ray level interviews. I mean, this looks like a solid release for a modern one. I don't think you saw this one? Did you see this one?
Speaker 3: Never heard of?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Is John related to Peter. I feel like he was, but I may be wrong there looking it up on a magical film.
Speaker 2: Sick came out in response to COVID. COVID plays a huge part in the actual plot line. And I watch it when it first came out, and because of the link to COVID in the plot line, I hated it that first time. It's a much better movie than that. It's it's a really well made I assume that's a yes.
Speaker 3: He did Universal Soldier regeneration. So oh yeah, we're cool. We're cool. His Wikipedia doesn't say his daddy is.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're second cousins.
Speaker 3: Now he's the son of Peter Hims. Cool. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Kevin Williamson can still write a really great slasher. I think people would like this. If you've never seen it, check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll check that out.
Speaker 2: The big thing though this is this was a straight to streaming film, and the fact that we're getting a four K for this is yet another win's. It's a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 4: Uh, speaking of pandemics, Yeah, go to Mars.
Speaker 2: The John Carpenter film gets a four K release on February eleventh from Screen Factory, and you can get two slipcovers with this and a The only thing new that was not on previous releases is an interview with the film music historian Daniel Schweiger. But hey, will, how do you feel about this art on this bonus slipcover?
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like someone's child is very very determined. Yes to draw. Are you going to say that that's artificial intelligence?
Speaker 2: It kind of.
Speaker 3: Looks like it to me.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to claim that it is for sure, but it looks.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no point. It's it's it's here. It's true.
Speaker 2: You know, Craig wants to shout out when you're buying something from Deaf Crocodile or others, put your apartment a unit number in the same line as your street address, not on address line too, because it doesn't care over sometimes.
Speaker 3: Ghosts of Mars.
Speaker 2: For all of the John Carpenter completists, that.
Speaker 3: Wants starring ice Cube with the hit new hit single Mars is most wanted. Yeah, yeah, I didn't hate it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not a terrible it's it's basically Assault on Precinct thirteen in space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's definitely not as good as Assault on Precinct thirteen, but I think it gets some undue hatred. It's it's cool, it's fun. It's got some neat little beats in it, like I have to take ecstasy to Like, yeah, okay, I'll do the upgrade. Uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of upgrades. February eleventh, they're also doing a four kV Galaxy of Terror. This will have Dolby Vision presented in four K and how many new bonus features a total of zero.
Speaker 3: I love the way that they advertise it by saying Bill Paxton did the set decoration, production design by James Cameron. But it actually that is actually is kind of cool. You know, look, man, this movie's a lot of fun. You got Zombie King, you got Ray Walston, you got sid Haig, Eddie Albert like Aaron Robert England. Yeah, this has got a great cast, and it's fun, and it's stupid and and it's like eighty three minutes.
Speaker 2: So it's Corman produced, and I know a lot of people are wanting everything Corman.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you what I'm excited about that next.
Speaker 4: Oh, next, yes, that one, Okay, we'll come back to it.
Speaker 2: February eighteenth, Shout is doing the first Slam Dunk on four K. This is one that they just did on Blu Ray fairly recently. It's suposedly a great movie. I need to see it. But yeah, let's let's get to Humanoids from the Deep. This one's coming on four K on February eighteenth. And this one does have something new. We got a new audio commentary by Russell Dieball and that's it, and then a bunch of archival features on this tell us about Humanoids from the Deep.
Speaker 3: Will Oh it's just a lot of fun. You know, it's sea monsters and boobies and blood and good special effects. I know the director, Barbara Peters wasn't happy with some of the boobies that Corman made her put in there, but the movie itself really works. I mean, it's it's just fun.
Speaker 2: I agree, And yet another Corman produced.
Speaker 3: I like Tomorrow rest in Peace. I just saw a movie with his daughter, Jennifer Jason Leona good good good good. Yeah, it was okay.
Speaker 2: Speaking of double dipping, Toho releasing another version of Godzilla minus one, this one coming in January, and this one will have English subtitles on pretty much everything that is coming with including a bonus commentary. The commentary that's coming on this is going to be including the visual effects team. It's a Japanese watch along commentary. And it's kind of egregious that they've released this now what four times five times in a span of like three months, and it's they're all selling very well.
Speaker 3: Godzilla minus one times.
Speaker 2: Five, Yeah, this is the This is kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: I hope you five Zilla or it will be Godzilla minus one, but the Z is a.
Speaker 2: Five too fast to Godzilla. I am Doug mccluury. You may know you from such movies Ashman. Hell yeah, all right, that is Godzilla into some partner labels.
Speaker 3: I how many more?
Speaker 2: Only like fifty more posts? Oh my god, It's okay. You signed up for this two years ago.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I'm just trying to sell some books and actually got an email today from the University of Texas Press that the hardback of American Twilight The Cemabe Hooper is about to sell out and so we'll be going out of print. So if you want a hard back edition, now's the time. Paperback edition hopefully is selling robust, robustly, because I'm counting. I'm counting on basically the book industry and the physical media industry to sustain my family.
Speaker 2: Your family's in trouble.
Speaker 3: Will your family's in trouble?
Speaker 2: So OC and partner labels were announced on what day was that?
Speaker 3: Tuesday? Uh?
Speaker 2: And they you know, they put out like twenty one titles. We're about to talk about all of them, but there I could not even save the pictures fast enough before I could post them before this was almost selling out. So I had to go in really quick and post about this first title because it sold out of two thousand slipcovers in thirty nine minutes.
Speaker 3: Thirty nine minutes.
Speaker 2: That is wild. This is hundreds of Beavers from CARTOONA. This was a pretty big indie movie that came out just this year. It is a great movie. Absolutely love this thing. Tons of bonus features on this you can get. I believe they've re stocked standard editions of it pretty much immediately. Great, great movie. Glad I'm gonna be able to have this if you've never seen it, and I know Will hasn't. This is like live action Looney Tunes and it's really well made. It is hilarious. No jokes about hundreds of beavers from you should I just carry on?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean everybody keeps asking me if I've seen hundreds of beavers. I think I already made that joke that, yeah, you asked me last time if I've seen hundreds of beers, and I said, in my life.
Speaker 2: Nothing else. All right, we'll go to the next one.
Speaker 3: It is funny to think about, like when you're in a crowd of people, like what if everybody was nude? Just how weird it would be. But like the rest of the animal kingdom.
Speaker 2: Is yes, that is true. It is on to B and Prime if you want to go check it out right now for free. Next one, this is Art Label. They are putting out a Little More Flesh following hundreds of Beavers. That's a funny title. This is from twenty nineteen and Will disappeared for some reason and he got very quiet.
Speaker 3: I'm going to see hundreds of people.
Speaker 2: Oh good luck.
Speaker 3: This one.
Speaker 2: We'll have a commentary by Alexander Heller Nicholas, commentary by the director. A bonus feature film A Little More Flesh two Freudian and Now and Then That is a both films optional commentary with the practical effects test VHS death see music videos for some tracks. Uh, this is the first art label title I'm kind of interested in. Actually, Uh yeah, this looks this looks decent. Surprise and delighted to see hundreds of beavers. Also, Will says Terry, moving right along AGFA putting out Blood Arama triple fright Mare number two. These are from nineteen sixty four and will include Love Goddesses a Blood Island, follow that Skirt and the Undertaker and his pals. So Love Goddess is a Blood Island aka six What.
Speaker 3: Did you hear my two be Come on, I did not. I was just putting hundreds of beavers into my queue. Nice.
Speaker 2: Uh. This one the Love Goddesses of Blood Island aka. He is in the long lost original uncut version for the first time ever. You can also choose to watch this in the I think they call it the drive in version as well.
Speaker 3: I always love these features that does. Yeah, this is the release of the month. This was the first thing that I purchased instantly, and the reason is The Undertaker and Its Pals is the best movie to be released on physical media in twenty twenty four. I love The Undertaker and His Pals. No other film that has been discussed on this program in twenty twenty four is in the same category of awesome. Uh. This was on my like It'll Never Happen wish list. I am so excited to retire my DVD. I'm gratified to see that Patton Oswalt shares my love for this movie. Patton Oswald and I share love for two very precious things in this world, The Undertaker and his Pals and Natty Gan.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of superlatives.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about the other two films, but the Undertaker and his Pals, Like they could have priced that cinematograph style and I would have been like two copies, bro, and then maybe like you've reached your limit, and I'll be like, I'll be back ship the first one and then I'll order Yeah, Undertaker and his Pals so funny, so funny.
Speaker 2: All right, that was a lot.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that that it made me pause hundreds of beavers to come back to the show.
Speaker 2: That must be very important.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I'll give up hundreds of beavers to be.
Speaker 2: With you, I'm honored. Our next one is Candy Mountain. This is available now from Film Movement. This is from nineteen eighty seven. Director Alex Cox speaks on this. We got a visual talk by David and Meyer. We got a sixteen page booklet with writing by John Dixon and the cast in This looks pretty great. I've never seen this one. This genuinely looks like one that you probably would have watched with how attached you are to some of the music.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Candy Mountain? No, but I'm a hugely on Redbone Guy, huge Doctor.
Speaker 2: John Guy, amazing dark Star doing carnage for Christmas from this year. Yeah, this is classic Dark Star type picture. This one's only seventy minutes long. There's a tannic panic full feature conversation with the actor Jordan Gonzalez from Pretty Little Liars and Original Sin and the director on this as well. You got some trailers and that's a Dark Star release.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I watched the trailer. It looked kind of fun.
Speaker 2: A lot of the Dark Star stuff is genuinely fun. It's just you gotta give them a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Coco de Cocoda or whatever it was called. Next, Cash calls Hell from Film Movement. Move on I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know was that Dark starfil I feel like that was a different partner. I may be wrong. I'm probably wrong. Film Movement does Cash calls Hell. This is a Judeo Goosha film from nineteen sixty six. There are a lot of people that were after this movie for a long, long time, says a new visual essay by Patrick Massias On. There a new video talk by Black Caesar's and Foxy Cleeve Patrick's author Odie Henderson, sixteen page booklet with a new essay by Steve McFarlane, And had you get this one? This looks great?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was my second purchase. This is uh Hedayogosha's third film after very early Three Out Lost Tamurai think No. Three Out was his first movie. I forget his second movie. But again, well, if you haven't seen this before, if you if you're not saw in the movie, watch the trailer. Holy cow, this is a visual feast.
Speaker 2: Also, Uh, please all the labels put up trailers for your titles. We would love to see trailers on every time.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can find them all on YouTube, but it's nice when they're embedded in the in the sight.
Speaker 2: Well especially when they're you know, new restorations and you actually see restored trailers from those restorations.
Speaker 3: H yeah. Uh. Enjoy the ride.
Speaker 2: Records putting out Chris Claremont's X Men and I mean this is this is Enjoy the ride literally like what they've been doing entirely to a te documentaries about big pop culture items. This has a director commentary, trailer, thirty minutes of additional material. The slip looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah you don't think it was AI generator? Probably not. I want to see this. This was the era of X Men that I read going into the transition to whoever took over after course climate, but this was like dark. I mean he did the Dark Phoenix era and all that stuff, right. I think so.
Speaker 2: Because he proved because he proved himself during this time and then and then they let him have it later.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, definitely worth a watch. Simner, says Jim Lee. I'm out of my depth if I talk about comics.
Speaker 2: Craig is the man.
Speaker 3: Oh man, well we do. We both we share a love of Daredevil, but his knowledge is far superior to mine. But X Men also was it. I feel like, all right, I'm gonna look it up. You should just move on, Okay, fine, I will uh.
Speaker 2: Craig says Claremont was still writing when Jim Lee began the artwork.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, yeah, seventy five to ninety one that had to be Dark Phoenix. And also when they went to Australia and Wolverine got crucified and Jubilee saved them, and then Jubilee went to the mall shopping with Storm and Dazzler and Rogue, all right, and they had that Aboriginal guy with the bullboard that teleported him around the world, and Cyclops was gone and Havoc was in charge his brother who was a dick, but not as much a one.
Speaker 2: All right, can okay?
Speaker 3: Good? And it was when Storm had the short haircut.
Speaker 2: And all right, close your eyes. This is the next title from phil Movement. This is one that I did not pick up, but one I'm considering going back for went afterwards to research what was that? Do you say me too?
Speaker 3: You got to why only like, I don't know, one of the most important filmmakers of the last two centuries. Okay, he's only got like three movies, dude, the last two centuries. Yeah, the twentieth and the twenty first. You've been alive for two.
Speaker 2: Centuries, dude, I've been alive during two centuries.
Speaker 3: That same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so this one, uh sounds very good. Yeah, I want to check this out. Over the three decades after the release of his previous film, The revered Spanish Tour Victor, is it a Reese?
Speaker 3: So how you say it? Will are? Sorry? I have no culture but with the with the you know how a wreath a wreath?
Speaker 2: Uh? He a reflective culmination of Ref's career in filmy.
Speaker 3: Close Your Eyes Barcelona. Oh man.
Speaker 2: It is a haunting meditation on memory, absence and the enduring resonance of the moving image, which means I must get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Spear of the beehive, el sir, close your eyes. Everybody has to have all three of those films. Sous.
Speaker 2: I believe it's pronounced e rice as in electronic rise.
Speaker 3: You still have to do the still to do the list right. I'm going to Abitha today. I'm in Barcelona. Tomorrow I'm in.
Speaker 2: Uh the coffee table. Let's talk about this now.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: This one is available from a brand new partner label called Sinophobia. I've been waiting to see this launch for quite some time. This one says as the portion for the label itself. Launched by Ray Murray, founder of TLA Releasing and Art Exploitation Films, Cinophobia Releasing is dedicated to presenting the most eye opening genre and LGBTQ plus movies from around the world. The label is admittedly schizophrenic, offering both controversial, often sexually provocative dramas, edgy thrillers, and uncompromising horror, while also showcasing some of the best LGBTQ plus romances and dramas Expect the unexpected.
Speaker 3: They only do eye opening films, which is why close your eyes could not be on the label. All right, Oh this is exciting. Do you know why?
Speaker 2: I do know why because audio commentary on this one with the one and only Erica Schultz and her podcasting partner Lance from the Unsung Horrores podcast get to do an audio commentary together for the first time ever, an audio commentary from the director and co writer.
Speaker 4: And you know what that means.
Speaker 3: This movie definitely has something.
Speaker 2: Uh well, I mean look at the covers.
Speaker 3: What they uses the coffee table. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: On top of all that, shout out to my friend Sam Cohen who is in the booklet as well. So with all kinds of people I know contributing to this one, I had to get this one. This this was a must mm hmm. And uh, we're gonna cover it in just a minute. But if you missed out on the the slip cover for this second site announced they're putting out a four K UHD of this title soon as well, four K four K and this Cinophobia releases just.
Speaker 3: Blu ray, same extras.
Speaker 2: Nope, they're they're probably gonna have different extras, damn it. And a large booklet I'm sure, and a hard.
Speaker 3: Box and go without Sam Cohen and but no Sam Cohen, no no Land Snow Air.
Speaker 2: So this was a must as well.
Speaker 3: Not everything needs to be for k That's what I've always said. It is true.
Speaker 2: Uh, this one the next new partner label. Because we got multiple new partner labels, No Budge is the next one. No Budge is a streaming platform and boutique label for young and emerging filmmakers focused on low budget cinema, DIY visions, alternative comedy, and more. We spotlight indie filmmakers working with limited resources and without major film industry connections. A leading curatorial voice. Since twenty eleven, we have been featured by The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Guardian, Esquire, The Paris.
Speaker 3: Review, and IndieWire.
Speaker 2: One of the best places to sample what's happening in low budget cinema worldwide, says The New York Times.
Speaker 3: This one says.
Speaker 2: When Jim and Dave meet at a cabin up state and an attempt to bond with their thirteen year old son Branson, tensions amount as differing parenting techniques come to the four along with trivial disagreements about everything from air mattresses to cigars to grilling hot dogs. So I have a blueper real deleted scenes, alternate takes, the original Dad and Stepdad short film, trailer's commentary with the director and producer, another commentary by main characters Jim and Dave. And it has a fart track, Yes, a fart track, plus a booklet featuring essays by film critic Alisa Alyssa su Or Sue and Colin Burgess, tying In DeLong and Anthony Oberbeck.
Speaker 3: I watched the trailer to this one, and I'm not sure. I'm not I'm Matthew Headache with the joke of the night. Yeah, I'm not. It's gotten great reviews. I'm not sure it's I'm not sure it's my type of humor, right, but I would see it.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a shot, Humboldt, says Ai RT, which this very well could be as well. Now in the trailer, those guys look like that just smudgy, pretty smudge guys. The label should have been called well, I guess no smudge. Would it have made sense?
Speaker 3: Like what comes after beta Gamma? That's the third their gamma there, Gamma males, if.
Speaker 2: You want to see shaft cold, better go ask your gamma.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the next one.
Speaker 2: This one is from VHS hit Fest and is called Death Laughs among us the complete works of John Schanall.
Speaker 3: I bet you.
Speaker 2: You know, I did nineteen eighty two to two thousand and seven and I had to get this one, It says, to label the work of award winning animation filmmaker John Shanall is simply darkly comic cartoons as frankly to miss the point and their wide diversity of styles, techniques and subjects. Shanell's films drag us the edge of the abyss and danglus there than dances back laughing career spanning over forty years, John has managed to make some of the most unique, hilarious and weird films you'll likely ever see. Despite having worked for MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Disney and countless other companies, Shaw's work was criminally undersen and underrated until now. This will have an audio commentary by John Shanall, new feature link doc, eighty minutes of additional movies, radio shows, easter eggs, music videos, and of course this is the bundle of the month. You can also buy a shirt that says buy my film with this and god am I stoke to get this.
Speaker 3: I love it. You get a sixty three minute feature collection of shorts and then eighty more minutes of shorts. That's more than one hundred minutes of animation. Oh man, that is that is good meth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, yep.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see.
Speaker 2: Reservoir says how many partner labels does VS have now? Including non active ones like Pulsar Gunpowder, not counting ones they used to have. It's up to like twenty nine or something like that, maybe thirty, which is.
Speaker 4: Crazy pants numbers like the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make them all play in a bubble to see which films are good.
Speaker 3: Well, not the Lakers this year. Uh we lost forty The Tyler.
Speaker 2: Hero Bronni James jokes, you can make he's not even on the team of course.
Speaker 3: No, Well leave Bronny alone. That's not his fault. Poor Gamas died anyways.
Speaker 2: Saturn's Core releasing Dogs in Quicksand from nineteen ninety nine. Uh, this one looks pretty great. This is the baty Camshot feature debut from Champagne, Illinois based actor, filmmaker and theater evet Mike Tripietti. This one is gonna have a commentary with the writer and director, and then the DP bill youk R youch New twenty twenty four retrospective doc outtakes filmed live performance, and then there is some short films and a twenty eight page booklet with writing by Jason Pancoke and Heather Drain.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the trailer to this that looked really good. And you know, I've joked before about how like it seems. It seems like all s OV movies are horror films, but this is different. This is a more of a dramatic thriller.
Speaker 2: Looked pretty dang good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanna check this one out for sure.
Speaker 2: Next up, Memory is releasing Hippo from twenty twenty three, story of the coming of age of two step siblings, Hippo and video game addicted Ta and Buttercup, a Hungarian Catholic immigrant with the love of classical music and Jesus. That's will. I have a short film called Andronicus and behind the scenes featurette. And one of the one of the many vinegar syndrome controversies from the last week was people complaining about this because the slip on the back is just black.
Speaker 3: Hey, I again, you know, the first half of the description of that movie sounded like melusine, and then the second half didn't. Yeah, this looks cool. Eric, Wait, is that the Eric Roberts. Wait, it is.
Speaker 2: Twenty three, so that's a big possibility.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna check that out, all right.
Speaker 2: Moving to the next one, this slip cover Shudder finally releasing Kuso from twenty seventeen on Blu ray. This is by Flying Lotus, which you may note as another musician, and this movie is wild. Did you watch Kuso?
Speaker 3: Will? I watched the trailer and then I I put it in my shutter cue. But I don't know. This movie is freaking insane. I'll check it out. It definitely looks like I wish it was shorter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could see that, but you know, I'm down with the drors.
Speaker 2: I think you would at least find something to love. The practical effects on this are crazy good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I watched the Yeah. Like I said, I watched the trailer and was like, okay, m what is this this one? What's going on? Pulp uh?
Speaker 2: This is going to include a commentary by Simon Abrams. It's got a brand new video interview with Flying Lotus from behind the scenes. Eight Emeter animated short all that fun stuff, but then also a booklet with the new essay by friend of the show, Michelle Kisner.
Speaker 3: Oh cool.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, looks good.
Speaker 3: Quite the ecosystem you've tapped into, my friend.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. Uh the next one, Utopia putting out the line from twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: I guess I should say, freako system.
Speaker 2: This one has an incredible cast. This looks really good. Actually, we've got Alex Wolf from Hereditary in this bo Mitchell Hallie Bailey, Austin Abrams, Lewis Pullman, Agnes Ingus Cloud, John Malkovich, Denise Richards, Scoot McNairy, Cherio Terry. Uh yeah please audio commentary with the director, some deleted scenes and a trailer.
Speaker 3: Tell you when I think of films that seriously delve into the psychological and physical violence associated with toxic masculinity, I think to myself, you know who we need in this movie, Cherio Terry. I watched the trailer hoping to see who she plays in this, Like, is she a cheerleader? Is no kidding? I kind of do want to watch this. This this has some stuff about hazing. I bet, I bet you know movies about fraternity hazing can be intense. I tell you one thing, man, I don't want to sound controversial or get all political, but I'm against fraternities in general for reasons that should be obvious. They perpetuate, you know, systems of power. But you know, to this day in twenty twenty four, most sororities have rules against serving alcohol at social functions. But if you try to, if you try to enact those rules against the good old boys, oh, it's a national issue, and multimillion dollar lobbying firms mobilized to ensure that institutes of higher education don't prevent underage boys from serving alcohol at their parties. You know what I mean? Like how screwed up? I mean, like do I even need to say? Or soci screwed up with? That's That's one of the many reasons.
Speaker 2: Terry went and checked and he says there are thirty three partner labels. Now you could argue thirty two, but they list Film Movement and Film Movement Classics as two different partner labels.
Speaker 3: Thirty three.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is a huge number. Yeah, and that's not counting the ones that have left either, which is crazy. I love a couple of these comments from Matthew here Utopia is usually a safe bet, I would say, one of the safest bets of the current partner labels I don't think I've not liked anything from Utopia, and then he says, without fraternities, we'd all have to join a sports team if we want to act like assholes on the weekends.
Speaker 3: I went to a Quaker college that didn't outlawed fraternities, and I can assure you we all acted like assholes anyway. You don't need a club or a.
Speaker 2: A requirement.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's like Lord of the Flies. You'll form your own little societies. Oh man, all right.
Speaker 2: Next up from Connie is maybe It's Love from nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: Five and purchase Yeah. Same.
Speaker 2: Following her parents' separation, ten year old Marbles is sent to live with their grandmother in the outskirts of Hong Kong. Also new to town as the seductive pageant Queen Rita, whose skin tight leotards piqued the interest of a dashing postman already involved with the shopkeeper's wife Lynn.
Speaker 3: What a sentence.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the curious Marbles, who has made it a habit of spying on her neighbors with their binoculars, witnesses a murder on a stormy night. A ragtag team of kid detectives come together. Who is the killer? Where is the body?
Speaker 3: This sounds incredible.
Speaker 2: This one's from nineteen eighty four, ninety minutes long. We got an interview with a director that is twenty nine minutes long. A short film that is sixteen minutes long, book with a new writing by Catherine Connell. And can't wait to see this.
Speaker 3: A short films. It's funny because it's der Basa, right, the German, but if you read it in my natural accent, it's deir ba sach. And that's there's this instagrammer who does Appalachian words of the day that would definitely make the cut.
Speaker 2: So Niche, I love it. Another big one Icarus Films. They are putting out No Home Movie from twenty fifteen, the final film from Chantal Ackerman. This one is a portrait of her relationship with her mother, Natalia, a Holocaust survivor and familiar presence in many of her daughter's films. So I have a bonus documentary called I Don't Belong Anywhere the Cinema Chantelle Ackerman, and I mean this is as close as you can get to a must purchase.
Speaker 3: It feels like, oh yeah, you know, by coincidence. I was just reading a day on an article in Semiast magazine. The writer was talking about how this theater programmed a two year long retrospective of Ackerman's films and showed everything, all the features, shorts, documentaries, you know, right, she made like forty some films in order, in chronological order, and Chantal Akerman would come to do Q and A for the film's fairly regular regularly, and just a couple of weeks before no home movie was supposed to be shown in which Ackerman was supposed to appear to present it, she she killed herself and they they, you know, they went ahead with the screening, and the writer described just this, the outpouring of emotion such that she had been unprepared to or she hadn't predicted. I guess the intensity of everyone's feeling, you know, after after having you know, seen so many of these films, and the and the audience is getting bigger and bigger as the as the retrospective went on, and then right at the end, for for this to happen was so profoundly sad and I haven't seen no home movie yet, but yeah, as you said, if there's other than the Undertaker and his pals, if there is, I must purchase from the Oceans this month, This and you know in ways their companions.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I love that we're literally discussing like one hundred and ten films tonight.
Speaker 3: That's use those two. I think I got like four movies, and those were two of them.
Speaker 2: What's funny is it screams your taste perfectly.
Speaker 3: All right, move in to the next one.
Speaker 2: Canadian International Pictures putting out orders from nineteen seventy four. This is a fiftieth anniversary special edition. This was a one that I picked up again. They always do great what they're disscanned and restored from the thirty five millimeters OCN. This has a new commentary, it's got new interviews, it's got uh e. Those are all interviews as well. And then multiple documentaries, documentary shorts. They are so much on this. This sounds incredible. This this also seemed like a must absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, another another film that I don't know might be instructive right about now? True? True, you know you don't think of Canadians being fascist, you know, it's like, yeah, I'm gonna need to ask you to come along here. We're gonna go to the camp. But but the the Quebecy's.
Speaker 2: You realize, if you keep up with the Canadian slander, mister Sivener is gonna hop on the line to Canada.
Speaker 3: Well that just proved my point. Don't you go flander in my homeland. There a poser the accent.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, silent man. I'm glad you saw that the Noah movie is not in the Criterion set. I the Canadian fascist accent. I don't know that that is going to be topped. That was that was pretty great. You said you got this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: The good people of Canada will not stand for this, will.
Speaker 3: I warned you. He was so quick. I told you those people are saints.
Speaker 2: They are making our maple syrup and their post office is on strike.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's true, though.
Speaker 2: Very timely announcement for everybody. By the way, if you collect physical media and it's going to Canada, sorry or sorry sorry watch it.
Speaker 3: Ryan, watch it. I'll get the other Ryan, mister godstling in here. Well, thanks to the thanks the get Reynolds We'll get Deadpool on your ass, all right, couch couch? Oh that was under a couch all right. Uh.
Speaker 2: The next one Shutter putting out The Sacrifice Game from Christmas Movies.
Speaker 3: Have you seen this one? No? I watched the trailer. It's a Christmas movie. It looks so good, apparently starring young Jack Black.
Speaker 2: I love that it's from last year, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, did I'm gonna have to sacrifice? You didn't? Did on the altar? Dude? Oh? Man, Oh that was really good.
Speaker 2: We gotta comment damn it. Commentary for the director of the co writer Jen Wexler. A bunch of other people on this as well, including Heather Buckley behind the scenes, Still's Gallery, Twilight the Flesh music video.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This this looked really damn good. I'm eager to see this one. Um, all right, I think we're done with ocn Nope, No, oh, god, damn it. No, there's still three other things to cover.
Speaker 3: Jesus, Yellow Veil, and there's Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I just forgot. This is the third new partner label for the month, Brainstorm Media putting out starve Acre from twenty twenty four, starring the one and only Matt Smith. And this was convenient. I'd been wanting to see this one. It's supposed to be pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: It's funny you say the one and only Matt Smith because there's probably like, like close to million Matt Smith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was literally the point of that joke.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: This one has a whole bunch of interviews from behind the scenes in a booklet with a new essay by Kim Newman.
Speaker 3: On this one, there's probably another Matt Smith who worked on the crew, literally like, hey, I'm Matt. Oh yeah, hey Matt, I'm Matt. One of us is more famous than the other. Anyway. There's some weird stuff going on with a kid in this movie. Yep. I don't think any kid deaths, but maybe we'll see.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yellow Veil Sweet Sweet Lonely Girl from twenty sixteen is their next release, another one that I'm usually pretty hot on the Yellow al titles this one says, soon after moving in with their aging aunt, Dora, Adele meets Beth, seductive and a mysterious who tests the limits of it.
Speaker 3: Yep, uh usually hot on the Sweet Lonely Girl.
Speaker 2: No on Yellow Veil, not Sweet Sweet Jesus.
Speaker 3: Just want to play a fire anyways.
Speaker 2: And mysteries who test the limits of Adele's moral ground and sensor spiraling down a psychologically unstable and phantasmagoric path.
Speaker 3: That's my guess.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. We got multiple commentaries, We've got alternate opening and ending. We've got some interviews and a trailer with an essay by Sam Deagan. Nice good look and release. We are booke ending tonight with damn. It couldn't even keep my mouth straight from the joke. We are bookending with beavers tonight. We started with hundreds of beavers, still going with hundreds of beavers this time. If you go to their website, you can buy one of seven hundred and fifty wood book slipcovers that they put out for this and I believe these are still in stock at the moment. You still get the same disc and everything. It's just in a wood slipcover.
Speaker 3: I'm not even I'll let Sidner make the joke.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, my question to you is, did you, first off, did you look this up to you? Did you see how much this is? No?
Speaker 3: I was unaware of the wood book.
Speaker 2: This release, which is the same release as the OCN, just in a wood slip cover is seventy five dollars.
Speaker 3: Do you get lobby cards? No lobby cards, I was released, or maybe a wad of matted leaves.
Speaker 2: No leaves, none at all.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I can't really tell if seventy five is like overpriced.
Speaker 3: Or just right fifty for the wood sleeve. It is, but it does feel special. Is it hand whittled, individually wittled or today I do it? There are seven.
Speaker 2: And fifty slippers and there's some old man on the court three whittled jesus. I mean it's probably laser printed, let's be honest. But I still think it's a really neat idea, and I'm glad they leaned into it.
Speaker 3: They just got the entire staff of Vinegar Syndrome whittling. Yes, like yeah, five percent other duties as needed. That's that's in every job description. Five percent other duties as needed.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I love that they leaned into it too. They said, only seven hundred and fifty of these wooden slipcovers will ever be made. We have to cash in after all. They're just completely blatant about it.
Speaker 3: Fun idea.
Speaker 2: Glad they did this, This is pretty cool. Yeah, we are still not done, Willie. Willie, Yeah, it's trying something out. How do you feel.
Speaker 3: Slick? I guess it makes me feel slick, Willie.
Speaker 2: The first title from Radiance is Slick. March twenty fourth in the UK, March twenty fifth in North America. We're getting a blu ray of the Eel from nineteen ninety seven. This is by show Hey Ima Mura. We've got interview with Tony rains On here, interview with the screenwriter Disa k Tengen, a visual essay by Tom mess on the year nineteen ninety seven is a turning point in Japanese cinema. We've got a booklet with archival interviews with Ima Mura and uh yeah, once again Radiance with some great art and an incredible sounding movie.
Speaker 3: You know, it's amazing how across every culture, across all time periods, there seems to be a universal impulse to murder your cheating wife. And I'll tell you what. I'm proud to say that I grew up in the double murder capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia. There were I don't know, something like six or eight double homicides and they were all like a guy gets home to his double wide trailer and finds his wife in bed with his cousin or something and just blows them both away. But you know there's an honor at stake.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad for your uplifting stories every time.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can't just abide, all right? How do you transition away from that?
Speaker 2: That is the eel something happened and Instagram.
Speaker 3: Speaking of paragons of masculinity.
Speaker 2: Instagram deleted one of my Radiance posts. We're going to finish up Instagram in a little bit because I or finish up Radiance in a little bit. But the next one is a rare video title. March twenty fourth in the UK, this is the Fernando de Lao title Rulers of the City. This has a twenty twenty four K restoration Samark Cavil featurette's new interview with Mike Belloy and then a limited edition booklet with me writing by Francesco Massachi Jack Palins.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately it was not CGI recreated for the flash. I would have liked to see that, but hell yeah, Fernando de Leo, Jack Jack Plants, Are you kidding me? You don't even need to describe the movie I am in. I'm not pro murder. I'm just describing things that happen, speaking of Paragon's and masculinity Rainer Werner Fastbender. Yeah.
Speaker 2: On March twenty fourth in the UK, Radiance is releasing volume four of their Dirty Art House zine. This one is going to be dedicated to the less discussed side of serious and uh. It will be covering sex and it will include a lot of stuff like Nora and Sean Baker in the Realm of Senses and uh Fosspenders, Corelle and The Violence of Love. Yeah, Pasolini, Uh, visitor h K. All right, you're writing by Cat Ellener, Joseph Dwyer, Martin Conterio, Alexander Heller, Nicholas Lindsay, Halan and Moore to be confirmed.
Speaker 3: Neither of us, No, of course, not just to confirm.
Speaker 2: Abso absolutely. Like I said earlier, Second Sight, we'll be releasing The Coffee Table on four K and Blu Ray in early twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Ron Jeremy wasn't that he is the one that had sex on the Coffee Table? Oh that is Ron Jeremy. No, it sure looks like Ron Jeremy.
Speaker 2: It does, but it is not.
Speaker 3: Are you sure?
Speaker 2: I am not.
Speaker 3: Don Reremer, John Raremy. That sure as hell looks like Ron Jeremy. If that guy is not Ron Jeremy, it probably takes him a while to get places, you know what I mean, because people are constantly coming up to him saying, are you Ron Jeremy?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Paul wants to know.
Speaker 2: Is it any good? The Coffee Table. I've not seen it yet. Will's not seen it yet. I've known this was coming. I've been wanting to see it. From what I hear, it's a brutal movie. It's one of the extra violent films, lots of dead kids, supposedly Dead Baby specifically, and supposedly not one that you'll rewatch because it's a hard watch.
Speaker 3: It's a serbian piece of furniture. It was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Go into our next one December ninth in the UK, there's a blu ray coming out from Picturehouse entertain of Only the River Flows. As far as I can tell so far, at least, this is the only physical media release of this movie that has been coming out. I know some people have been wanting to see this.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: Some Asian films the last handful of years have just been incredible, and some of the smaller companies have been getting rights for them really easily, so eager to check this out.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the tagline, why not, will let's hear it. The tagline is some mysteries run deep. Yes, Well, if it doesn't run deep, it's probably not going to be much of a mystery.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 3: It's more of a like momentary quandary, like who took the butter knife?
Speaker 2: That's the first mystery that goes to mind.
Speaker 3: Oh it was you. You know, some mysteries run I mean, if it's a mystery worth calling a mystery, it probably runs deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't run deep, it's like, you know.
Speaker 2: To be fair though, as far as taglines go, the vast majority of mysteries run deep would be much worse.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying this mystery runs really deep. It might be so much words for some reason. This is the deepest mystery you've ever fucking heard of. You'll never guess this one. Oh it was the husband. Okay.
Speaker 2: So this one is from twenty twenty three and says dedicated police detective Ma je is assigned the case of a series of horrific murders and a real Chinese town As the investigation progresses, pressure from his superiors to find the suspected serial killer mounts, leading to a hasty arrest. But while his colleagues rush to celebrate, several clues push Maja deeper into a desperate investigation of his own, leading him into a dark world where mystery hangs over his every lead. I definitely want to see this one.
Speaker 3: Well is it deep or does it hang over you?
Speaker 2: Well, you have to get deep first.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I feel like you should not have said that. That sounds more like it looms like some mixtures loom menacingly. Oh rag now all right, ah, here we go, speaking of manly men.
Speaker 2: We talked to talk about this twice the last time or the time before that when Will was so excited and uh.
Speaker 3: We got we got.
Speaker 2: Details that the uh, The Conqueror from Keno is coming out on February twenty fifth, starring John Wayne as uh cankis cod.
Speaker 3: Wait who does the audio commentary?
Speaker 2: David del Val and Dan Marino.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a different it's a different Damn Marina. But wouldn't have been awesome though if it was that Dan Marina, it.
Speaker 2: Really would have been. It probably would have been an awful audio coming.
Speaker 3: To but one and only Matt Smith. There's been some great lines today. I didn't welcome Ron Jeremy. I just said the dude looked like Ron Jeremy. He's been he did some bad stuff. To sum it up, he did some bad stuff. Uh different. How would you like it if your name was Dan Marino and people were like, oh my god, you're damn Marino and you're like, yeah, but I haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: You're better than the guy you just said. His name was John rare Me who Ron Jeremy?
Speaker 3: Never mind? Anyways.
Speaker 2: We got some announcements from Visual Vengeance. They're putting out Furious from nineteen eighty four. This is a new SD master from the original tape elements put onto a Blu ray and as usual, tons of extras on their release and some physical goodies that come with it as well, some archival commentaries, new commentary with Justin the Clue. We've got a handful of interviews, visual essay by Justin as well, a couple of them. Actually it is that.
Speaker 3: Damn RN though. What the shit? He's a film guy now. The Dolphin is a film guy. Now, That's what it says.
Speaker 2: I uh I don't know what to say to that.
Speaker 3: That's what the internet sense.
Speaker 2: Uh, this will have a reversible sleeve, a limited edition throwing Star key tag is what they're calling it. Limited edition slipcase by the dude, folded mini poster, repro reversible sleeve, two sided insert with the alternate art stick your own VHS sticker set. And yeah, that's Visual Vengeance. Wait maybe not, Ronnie says, I think it's Dan Reno the QB Sun.
Speaker 3: There's a different cam Reno. Oh yeah, I don't even know how to respond to that. Comments. Oh this looks good.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you could come out to your Dan Reno Hayes to say this.
Speaker 3: Oh you get a throwing star dude, Yes you do. Oh I'm in for I'm in for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one that looks like a fun release.
Speaker 5: Um.
Speaker 2: The other one from Visual Vengeance. By the way, both of these are coming out in February. This one is Dinosaur Valley Girls from nineteen ninety six. This is gonna be region free remastered from the sd mager master from original tape elements, a new commentary with Don Glute and c. Courtney Joyner. Archival commentary from both of those.
Speaker 3: Men as well.
Speaker 2: We got an interview with Don glutees, we've got making of all that other stuff, and then looking down, we've got a slipcase on this by Rick Melton, Limited edition Dinosaur Valley Girls logo sticker, reversible sleeve, mini posters, stick your own VHS sticker set, and that is visual vengeance.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, like guig me with a stegosaur. You waited that entire time for that.
Speaker 2: No, oh, that's amazing. H huh uh, Pulp says, in Denmark it's illegal to give your son the same name as you. Is that t rex tossing her salad?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that an? Is that a country where.
Speaker 2: Huh Don Glute is really his name? Yes, reservoir. I mean it could be pronounced glut, but I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I Uh, I'm trying. Sarah Toop's curious. M I guess, I guess this is what they mean by tyrannosaur of sex.
Speaker 2: I okay, uh, I don't even know what to say to that. Yeah, tyrannosaurs sex.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Constantine gets a four K steel book on February eighteenth.
Speaker 3: From Warner Brother of Trisexuality.
Speaker 2: You can preorder this now on Groove and a lot of people complaining about that steel book art as well.
Speaker 3: Ah, it's elegant, spare.
Speaker 2: Elegance with the DC logo on the top left, because of course it has to be there. Here is that radiance one that we were missing that pissing people off because in big letters it says hard boiled, and it should have said in smaller nam letters below that, not that one.
Speaker 3: This is March twenty four, you should say ley hard Boiled.
Speaker 2: March twenty fifth in North America is three pulp thrillers by Alaine Corneau from nineteen seventy six to nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 3: Well, if anybody looks at that and thinks, oh, is this the John Wimo movie, then you know they don't deserve it.
Speaker 2: What's funny, We've got another title that is a John MoU looking movie that we'll talk about just a little.
Speaker 3: Bit lebang le schiet let mystery deep. Uh.
Speaker 2: This one is gonna have a commentary by Mike White. I'm Police Python three point fifty seven, some interviews, some visual essays, uh, and of course a limited edition eighty page book with new writing and I love me some of these French thrillers. I'm very curious about this one.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it, all right, we will keep going.
Speaker 2: Then, Hot Pursuit coming on Blu Ray from Keeno Lobra on February eleventh. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Joe Ramoni.
Speaker 3: And yeah, of the famous Ramoni's. I feel like this is getting getting us one step closer to the eventual Savage Steve Holland four K box set. Come on, let's get there. I think this is kind of a must have if you're a fan of Q Sack and teen comedies and a great.
Speaker 2: Cast Keith David ben Stiller. Jerry Stiller tell me that he does not look like he wants to be Charles Bronson.
Speaker 3: He is our generation's Charles Bronson, and I don't that lightly. I'm a man who respects Charles Bronson, probably more than anyone I know, and having seen enough Liam nee and action thrillers, I can now say that he is the closest we have to Charles Bronson living today.
Speaker 2: So this Liam Neeson movie is absolution. This is from twenty twenty four, and I love that the first three words in the synopsis are obvious an aging gangster attempts to reconnect with his children and rectify the mistakes in his past. But the criminal underworldwide, I don't think that's what that meant to say. A criminal underworld I assume won't loosen their grip willingly. Gotta love copying the synopsis.
Speaker 3: I know I haven't always been there as a father, but I have a very special set of talents.
Speaker 2: Take two of the word ist skills, whatever skills that was me giving a note to Nissan and then he.
Speaker 3: Like pulls a quarter out of your ear. You can keep that. That's for you with the voice. Uh.
Speaker 2: Next up, Uh, this one's elevation from this year, and this includes Anthony Mackie and uh.
Speaker 3: Says.
Speaker 2: Set in the post apocalyptic Rocky Mountains, a single father and two women venture from the safety of their homes to face monstrous creatures to save the life.
Speaker 3: Of a young boy. That looks great. You got single father and two women, you got snow, you got monsters, you got a throutle, and you got Captain America. Well reluctantly, no, I mean it's probably terrible, but I would one hundred percent watch that.
Speaker 2: Oh and you would love it. Yeah, Dinner with a Leather Face is coming out on February twenty fifth from Anchor Bay, the revitalized Anchor Bay. This is a documentary about Gunner Hanson, the actor who portrayed leather Face in the Texas Chainsaw Masker and has a bunch of people talking about him.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is definite.
Speaker 2: This is the third Toby Hooper reference on a Will Doddson night. What are the odds of that?
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't know this, but Gunner Hanson was an amazing writer and he was he was an environmental writer. In the eighties, he toured the Barrier Islands from the Gulf of Mexico up to Maine. And this is in the mid mid eighties. He wrote this book called Islands at the Edge of Time and he talked about he described the changes, the the erosion of the Barrier Islands, the instability of those ecosystems due to climate change. Before we even had the term climate change, we weren't even really seeing global warming yet. And it's the it's this. I highly recommend the book Islands at the Edge of Time. You can find it used online. And he writes so beautifully about these these islands and the communities of people who live there, both people who who kind of you know, built their own homes and have been there for generations, but also like the rapid real estate development of you know, coastal properties for for you know, bougie, wealthy, upper middle class people to kind of rent and owned beach houses that inevitably fall into the sea. And I'm reading it now. I read it for the first time in the early two thousands and then again during the pandemic while I was working on the Toby Hooper book, and it's an incredible, incredible and very prescient book. He was a true intellectual and an artist, Gunnar Hanson. And if all you know him from is Texas chainsaw masacer and Hollywood chansaw hookers and stuff like that, you know him. You know, he has a great sense of humor, and he's he's a huge, literally huge screen presence. But this man's an intellectual and an incredibly empathetic and artistic, as I said, person, So I'm very excited to see this documentary to learn more about him. He not only wrote islands at that time, he wrote studies of shells, seashells like Northeast coastal environments I mean he was. He was a naturalist, and you can I mean, look at me. It looks like horror. David Attenborough or Richard Attenborough, whichever one. Who's the one that does the nature Richard Attenborough. Yeah, he's America's Attinborough. We got there in the end. Check it out, love Gunner Hanson. I wish I could have met him, man, I tell.
Speaker 2: You that seems odd that you didn't for some reason.
Speaker 3: Well, he died, you know, he died pretty young.
Speaker 2: I thought, all right, somehow, will we still have fifteen?
Speaker 3: Eat it up? Dude?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Wolf Craig, who gives a shit?
Speaker 2: December twelfth, Turbine is upscaling Wolf Creek to four K. Keep in mind this was shot on digital and getting an upgrade, and you got four different media book cover options to choose from.
Speaker 3: Why are you wasting the audience's time? Come on, okay, I apologize completely. Now we're talking. Let's spend several minutes on this one.
Speaker 2: Eureka putting out as part of the Masters of Cinema line March thirty first in the UK, April first in North America. Mabouse Lives or Maboos at CCC nineteen sixty to nineteen sixty four. This will have The Thousand Eyes, the Return of the Invisible, The Testament, Scotland Yard Hunts, and the death ray of Doctor Macboos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next to The Undertaker and his Pals, No Home Movie and Dinner with Leather Face. This is the fourth most important release. I mean, come on, like, who has a reason not to get this other than the price of course by Marsh will be a massive tariff on it. This will be a limited edition box.
Speaker 2: We'll have a hard case, limited sixty page book that you can get new notes on everything. There's commentaries, there's new commentaries, new interviews, new introductions. I mean, there's everything you could want.
Speaker 3: Here except for Maboos to actually live.
Speaker 2: Then they're putting out The Daredevil's and Ode to Gallantry from nineteen seventy nine and nineteen eighty two, coming on March twenty fourth in the UK and twenty fifth in North America. This will have slipcover limited to two thousand copies, two new commentaries by Frank Chang, commentaries by Mike Leader and Arnavenoma, new interview with Wayne Wong on the Venom Mob, and then a booklet with new writing by James Oliver. The Maboos Live set is only fifty dollars USD shipped from Eureka free ship.
Speaker 3: Actually not bad. So now no one has a reason.
Speaker 2: Key Ray says, you guys want to check out and say no work for boutique label. Check out Retro Gold sixty three. Oh I have You can get those on brother Balile dot com. Kind of crazy if you go look there it's Rick Milton on pretty much everything. The next from Eureka. This is March twenty fourth in the UK only Shallon Boxers from nineteen seventy four. This one is going to have a new commentary by Frank Jang, the one by Mike Leader in Arnavenma Keeping Everybody Busy, new interview with Wayne Wong, and then another booklet with Aaron Han June Magnan Park.
Speaker 3: So got shallon soccer, we got Shallon Boxers. I want a whole line of shallon Sportsman, Shallon lacrosse, shallon water polo, Shallon dressage, shallon f one racing, Shallon badminton, shallon marbles, Shallon Jack's Shallon Monopoly, Shallon breakdancing.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, Summer Rental, The John Candy movie is coming on Blu Ray on January twenty. First, this will have a new audio commentary by Joe Ramoni of the Frimonis.
Speaker 3: This was filmed at Rockaway Beach.
Speaker 2: A new featurette by Max every as well.
Speaker 3: Oh man, listen, I haven't seen Summer Rental since I was a kid, but I cannot wait to see it again because I remember nothing about it. But look at that cast Richard Krenna, Ripped Torn, John Larroquette, Kerrie Green, Joey Lawrence, and Karen Austin. All I can say is whoa Carl Ryner? All right, Yeah, it's gonna be I'm gonna do a double feature of this in Hot Pursuit. That's a Keno Laber teen comedy double feature.
Speaker 2: Or make it a triple and watch Uncle Buck on four K come out in February eighteenth.
Speaker 3: From come On, This will have a.
Speaker 2: New audio commentary by Alexander Hiller, Nicholas and Josh Nelson. Another new commentary, Bye, Joe Ravoni.
Speaker 3: What is happening? There's no room for d D No, it's it's the off rand Ones. It would have to be like f f oh fremony. Hey listen, you know I don't care about these uh these uh oh John movies. But uh, but I will say that scene in the there's that scene in the bowling Alley where the cool dude is trying to flip the toothpick around in his mouth and he gets stuck. That ship was funny.
Speaker 2: Celestos here, that's larious, dude.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's also a new interview on this with gen Jean Luisa Kelly. All right, yeah, moving to the end of this, the Substance. We finally got some information on this. This is coming on four K and blu ray on January twenty first, from Movie themselves. Movie is the production company on this. They do bonus, not bonus, they do physical media themselves, so of course they're going to release it themselves. And as far as bonus features they are putting out on the disc featurette.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: No idea? What's it about? No idea? Just the word featurette ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's like they it's like they injected the disc with botox and I just got a little bit of features.
Speaker 2: Just one featurette, featurette, redamn, ridiculous. This is also coming out from Movie in the UK. There is oddly no date yet. It is showing like July on Amazon, but that's not going to stick. It'll likely be much much earlier than that.
Speaker 3: But ironically and substantial figurette.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good.
Speaker 3: It's a remarkably thin set of supplements.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. We also got some details on Azrael from this year, starring Tomorrow Weaving. If C is putting this out so come on January twenty first, and has quite a bit more than the last film. We talked about Filmmaker's commentary with Simon Barrett Eel Katz, Dan Kagan, set design gallery, concept art gallery, Church Fight, featurette, make up, special effects, behind the set clips, and I have been wanting to see this quite a bit from what I hear.
Speaker 3: There's no dialogue.
Speaker 2: It seems like that's an ongoing, recurring like a trope over the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's pretty hard to achieve in a devout female lead community. I'll just letting you sit on that one. Just kidding. Oh.
Speaker 2: Altered Innocence releasing Endless Summer Syndrome from twenty twenty three on February eleventh, continuing what sounds like amazing films from them.
Speaker 3: Said the guy who's been talking for three damn hours. Jesus Christ. Yeah, yeah, that has been you huh what That's what I said. Yeah, I know we're to quote Meg Ryan, flibberty gibbets, flibberty gibbets. That's what we are.
Speaker 2: So this one synopsis says, a lazy late summer weekend is disrupted by a shocking allegation when Delphine gets an anonymous call from her husband's colleague about a legend affair with one of their adopted children. Before leaping to conclusions, she decides to quietly observe her family for a shred of evidence, anything to subside or fear and race doubt. After the truth presents itself in an unexpected shocking manner, Delphine choses chooses to look past the blame for a permanent solution. This boundary pushing debut feature by kave Don Shaman paints an intimate portrait of an upper class French family with sly black humor and sensuality of plenty.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ is this Written by Woody Allen?
Speaker 2: This seems like it might be in the ICU and a perfect timing for celest to show up. Yeah, the Incess Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 3: Did you just make that up?
Speaker 2: No, it is an ongoing joke.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Anyway, well, I don't think I don't think that's a that big of a deal in France.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I just saw Craig's joke. That was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Craig said, because Celeste said altered innocence and then heart, and Craig said, altered innocence is less than three, I'd say there at least a six.
Speaker 3: Uh. That was so corny. I love it. No, I told you I don't watch the show so earnest. Oh my god, Oh man, you want to know a great incest movie? No, what's the name of hold on, let me find it. You can talk about The Killer for a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about the John Woo film The Killer coming to Blu Ray on.
Speaker 3: April four That don't confuse people.
Speaker 2: This is the John Woo film The Killer coming to ray on April fourteenth. He remade his own film. It's more of a reimagining.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 2: It is nuts? It is Yes, this is from this year and got pretty horrific reviews. This is coming on Blu Ray in April fourteenth, And I guess I should say Blu ray and DVD in the UK. This will likely not get a physical release for a while here at least. This is a peacock title in the US. We'll see if it gets anything.
Speaker 3: Peacock. Yeah, peacock Okay, I found it. Yeah, when do you watch? Oh? Where do you hear about this freaking movie? Dude? I couldn't believe it when I saw it for the first time. Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 2: Probably not?
Speaker 3: So you know the Brady Bunch, I've heard of them. Okay. So there's this TV movie in nineteen eighty six. Come on, dude, you're with me. There's this team you can take the killer off. There was this TV movie in nineteen eighty six called Sin of Innocence. You ever hear this?
Speaker 2: No, that's a crazy title.
Speaker 3: So the Brady Bunch parents in this scenario are Bill Bigsby and de Wallace Stone and their kids who who Brady Bunch style come together are Megan Follows, Yes, Anne of Green Gables and Dermott Mulrooney. Now let's say this nineteen eighty six. Now let me let me ask you a question, Ryan Arroll. Imagine yourself a sixteen year old girl and suddenly you you are sharing space with Dermott mulrooney similarly aged Yeah, your step siblings. All right, but is that gonna stop you? Well in this movie Sin of Innocence, it does not.
Speaker 2: Well, God, Dermot, I you know what, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna put that on my list. I don't even think that is a DVD release that I saw that on cable.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: All right, let me tell you, I'm a huge Anna green Gables fan. Huge wet at the end of both Anne of Green Gables and Uh, Anne of Avonlea not to mean not to mention in the Return whatever it's called. Wept at the end of all three mini series. Uh. Wept at the death of Richard Farnsworth, wept the death of Colleen Dewhurst, wept at the Return to Avonlea. Was just the right age to fixate my prepubescent attention on Meghan Follows the titular Anakan Gables. And so when I saw Sin of Innocence aged twelve and Meghan Follows is getting it on with her brother Dermot mulrooney, let me tell you it agitated some very confusing feelings that I still have not unpacked thirty years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So.
Speaker 3: Make that confession.
Speaker 2: Michael says, what about Anna of Hathaway, She.
Speaker 3: Got them cartoon eyes. She looks like a Christopher Lloyd and who framed Roger Rabbit's her dad? Matthew. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The strange thing about the Johnson's.
Speaker 3: Is christ Where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Incredible short. It's a it's a good short film.
Speaker 3: Did I miss it? Do we talk about that?
Speaker 2: No, you're just talking about and that came up regularly.
Speaker 3: I was just talking about the sin of innocence, all right, So speaking of innocence.
Speaker 2: Speaking of innocence, the super Mario Brothers movie Get Us in the Theater me too. Another four K steal book, this one on March third over in the UK. Much better than the design that we got on the first four K steal book over here. But it's literally the exact same discs.
Speaker 3: Of course, I saw like two movies in the theater this year, and there were Super Mario Brothers.
Speaker 2: And anor super Mario Brothers was last year.
Speaker 3: It seems like it was this year. Are you sure? Yeah? Yeah, I've seen two movies in the theater in the last two years, super Mario Brothers, Good Guy. Speaking of Jack Black.
Speaker 2: On February twenty fifth in the US, BBC is really sing a Blu Ray for Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy complete Season two from eighty eight to eighty nine. This is gonna be an eight disc set with all kinds of extras. It's just poorting over the UK release for the same title, so you can get that here as well. VHS Beyond, the newest anthology in the VHS series, is coming to Blu Ray from Showter on February fourth. You can pre order this now view a trailer. This got some pretty good reviews, has a lot of bigger names attached to it this time. Mike Flanagan wrote one of them. Justin Long was involved with one of them, Jade Shiel. I need to see this one. I've heard it's pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: So you get Beast Master on VHS and VHS Beyond on Blu Ray.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's true crazy. We're almost done, so here we go. If you want your letter to the editor printed in the next Physical Media Advocate, please send that to me, or comment on Instagram or whatever. Send it to discconnectedmediat gmail dot com. I already got one during the show tonight, so please send it in Stan wants to print and make funny responses.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. When that image first came up, I was like, Oh, this must be the new indie film with Jesse Eisenberg. But no, it's the Physical Media Advocate. How many? What issue you on?
Speaker 2: We are about to release number fifteen.
Speaker 3: Holy cow, man, you've already outlasted several physical magazines alright.
Speaker 2: Finally the final one for The Night in the Summers from twenty twenty four, getting a blu ray release from Music Box Films on February eleventh. This says every summer, Violetta and Eva or Eva travel to New Mexico to spend time with their loving but unpredictable father. Over the cuss, over the cuss. Over the course of four formative summers that span adolescents to early adulthood, via Leta and Eva learn to accept their father in this powerful and deeply personal directorial debut from Alessandra Lacarasa. Yeah, we got a filmmaker Q and A. We've got some interviews from sun Dance, a short film more than a movie, podcast interview, and some deleted scenes, outtakes, bloopers and image galleries.
Speaker 3: I have no jokes. I'm a dad of kids who are ranged from adolescent to adult sad. I'm like, I'm sad all the time.
Speaker 2: I feel that as usual. Just in case you forgot what is coming out next week, let's look at these as well. No Country for Old Men for k from Criterion, Riddick four K from Shout Factory. The Willow four K Steel Book releases next week, but oddly the Willow four K Standard Edition has not showed up for pre order anywhere from what I can see, so I don't know if that's coming at a later date, or if they're canceling that or what. Eight and a half four K from Criterion, A Region locked, Silent Night, Deadly Night four K from Shout Factory, Ted four K from Shout, Wallace and Grommet, The Complete Collection four K from Shout Rock and Roll, High School four K from Shout. Addiction four K from Aero Video, the re release of Interstellar four K, Giant Spider Invasion for getting a wide release, The Beast from Janis Contemporaries, We Requiem for a Vampire four K, The Escapeees four K, both of those from Indicator. What's that about the Toxic Crusaders?
Speaker 3: No man, Well, you think it's about men of war menire.
Speaker 2: Look, I didn't see there was Dolph on the screen. I apologize.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The story of g I Joe from Ignite, Who.
Speaker 3: The looks of It?
Speaker 2: Ignite might be putting out The Reanimator Trilogy on four K from Rumors Swirling right now, Trauma doing Toxic Cruciaders, the series that's been remastered, coming on Blu Ray. Rambling Rose with Laura Dern coming from Keno next week. We Love It, Good Movie, Horrible History from Eureka, The Last Video Store from Arrow, Winnie the Pooh, Blood and Honey Part two from Scream, the Block, Island Sound four K from Synapse, The Love Light from VCI, Cheerleaders, Wild Weekend from MVD, rewind Evil Anko four K from Unearthed Films. Next week, Las Vegas Hillbillies also from VCI, Quadrant from Full Moon, Kat and the Canary from Eureka, cop Killers from MVD Classics, Rhythm Thief from Keno, U Kirsten Baja from Anchor Bay, and getting down to the end of It. Men at War were the only big one you're getting from next week.
Speaker 3: There will no there's a bunch that Mary Pickford Uh yeah, eventually I'll upgrade my eight and a half for sure. I like cop Killers just in general, Ramblin Rose for sure, a story of g I Joe for sure. Oh so there's I was thinking of that scene you know in Willow where they're all applying to be the apprentice Wizard. Yeah, and at the end there will be no standard edition this year. Yeah. Oh rock and Roll High School four K. I already got the pre order m for the Addiction four K.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I'm stoked on the Addiction four K. And then definitely no country.
Speaker 3: Favorite able for our movie.
Speaker 2: As I've said before, And speaking of that, the Addiction was written about in issue fourteen of the Physical Media if you go check it out, and krit is in it as well. Who is here in the chat?
Speaker 3: What's going on? Christ Nice? And that's what we got.
Speaker 2: Will you want to talk about some holiday movies?
Speaker 3: Well, now I have to say all of my holiday movies are Christmas themed, and that is not to be exclusionary. It's just that my particular background is Christmas. Grew up in the Mountains group a lot of snow, and we celebrate Christmas such as it is in my churchless Heathen family. So there are several Christmas theme movies that I grew up really liking and others that I've come to as an adult that I appreciate quite a bit. Nice, how about you.
Speaker 2: I don't have a ton of traditions with holiday movies. I I've started one where every every Christmas, I'm showing my kids again and again and again them up It's Christmas Carol, just because I want that to be the one they remember. For this I try to watch some new ones every year that I never saw. There's still a lot that I've never seen that are like the canon titles for this sort of thing. But I mean, I gotta be honest, I don't I don't love a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Does Canon have any Christmas movies Canon? They probably do?
Speaker 2: It, probably do. Yeah, it's I don't know. It's a weird, weird thing because I don't love like the forced schmaltz of a lot of it. I I'd rather watch almost any other movie compared to that.
Speaker 3: So I don't do any good. Now. I have to admit I've never seen any of the Hallmark Christmas movies, although I do want to start now that I know that fred Ol and Ray almost a lot of Christmas. I think that's great. But the ones I grew up what I mean, do you have Do you have any? I bet? I bet some of them we probably have in common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we were always we would watch The Grinch, the animated Grinch, the classic. Of course.
Speaker 3: I grew up with.
Speaker 2: Home Alone was a common one for me because I was right at that age. Yeah, okay, you don't care about my ship.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Well I'm own three. But it's not Christmas.
Speaker 2: I never sit Home Alone three, But go ahead.
Speaker 3: I like Home on three. I don't like the first two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you. I get it.
Speaker 3: No, Well, obviously, the Silent Night, Deadly Night franchise. I celebrate the entire catalog.
Speaker 2: Of course you do.
Speaker 3: Christmas Evil, right, I love Christmas Evil, Black Christmas Classic. I mean still haven't seen the remake. Neither one of them.
Speaker 2: There's two remakes, twenty six and twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I will. I mean the originals, they are none of them, None of them are like each other. All Yeah, I don't really compare. I mean, obviously, the original Black Christmas is amazing. Ronnie is asking, how can I not like Home Alone? It's not that I don't like Home Alone. It's that I like Home Alone three so much more than the first two Home Alones that it's hard for me to watch any Home Alone without being like, I'd rather watch homelone three. The villains, the scenarios, the traps. You know, obviously, I'm sure we're both big gremlins people.
Speaker 2: Of course, show my kids that either last year or the year before.
Speaker 3: Angel Q Henry just Scot done watching The Family Stone. I actually saw that in the theater. Didn't hate it, didn't hate it. All right, So now I'm going to go through. Now that I've gone through, Now that I've said those movies that I figure everybody likes or would expect me to like, I'm gonna say the ones that are maybe more idiosyncratic. Shoot, yeah, Home on three had a very young Scarlet Johanson. That was one of her first movies. But the traps, the traps just amazing, just amazing. Okay, that's funny. Michael Smith corrected, Family Man. I don't even know what that is. I saw the Family's done though, well.
Speaker 2: Family Man or Family Sowne was my mom saying that she watched that. He was saying that he watched Family Guy and then changed it to Family Man.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh, I didn't see the names. Okay, well, me and your mom are down, thanks Ded. All right, here are by great demand my favorite Christmas movies. I like Bad Santa Okay, the movie doesn't really work overall, but I like it. I like it when he yells at kids who doesn't. Yeah. Yeah. I like Meet Me in Saint Louis Judy Garland Classic, it's a dark movie.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 3: Rare Exports a Christmas Tale. One of the first dates I took my wife on my now wife, who I wasn't married to at the time. We were just getting to know each other, and I said, I'd like to take you to see Rare Exports of Christmas Tale. It's a finished movie about Santa Claus. And she was like okay, and then we saw it and it was badass. Rare Exports at Christmas? Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: Rare Exports is great. I genuinely really love Rare Exports.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was just asked how all my classes are two hours and fifteen minutes. I actually talk fast in the last mainly to piss off the people who are trying to record me or who have like learning Accommodations and my two very favorite Christmas movies, Neck and Neck one and two maybe one A and one B. My two very favorite Christmas movies Night of the Comet and Four Christmases.
Speaker 2: Four Christmas is pretty good.
Speaker 3: With Reese Witherspoon and Vincent Vaughn, who reportedly did not get along because she liked to learn her lines and he was in the throes of a period of his life. All right, but the movie turned out great. One of my favorite, uh, Robert duval performances of all time, definitely top five, Robert Duvall.
Speaker 2: I love that you doubted your existence the moment you said that.
Speaker 3: My second favorite John Voight movie, what's number one? Deliverance? Dude?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was waiting to hear like National Treasure.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that. So those are my Christmas movies. I mean, there are others, but those are my favorites, not bad picks.
Speaker 2: Not bad picks.
Speaker 3: And you don't you have the Muppet.
Speaker 2: That's the main one that I'm leaning on now because every year I'm trying to watch new stuff that I missed.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess the what's that movie? The Passion? The Pasts of Carol will be that'll be a new favorite, oh man.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of the classics. I don't like that much. Like I'm not a fan of Scrooged. I've never been a big Bill Murray person, so that one never hit.
Speaker 3: I don't like Scrooge either. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't feel good.
Speaker 3: I said that to one of my colleagues, and she was like upset. It's like, how can you not like Scrooge? So I was like, same way, I cannot like you.
Speaker 2: Keeping bed person, I like her just fine.
Speaker 3: I what else?
Speaker 2: I like a lot of animation. I know that you're not as big into animation as I am, but a lot of those I still.
Speaker 3: Watch, Like What Christmas Carol? That's cute, and I like the mupp at Christmas.
Speaker 2: Cant well, Muppets is an animation more like the Classic Grinch, the the Peanuts Christmas special they did Thereries God, one or two others that we've done you which one is surprisingly good?
Speaker 3: Did you watch that uh Justice League Christmas?
Speaker 2: Uh? I think it was called Klaus that came out just a couple of years ago, animated on Netflix.
Speaker 3: It's really well made.
Speaker 2: And then Kurt Russell did a Santa Claus role in a Netflix film just like five years ago.
Speaker 3: It's me and my wife ate a bunch of mushrooms and watched that. Yep, wasn't the best choice, I h remember. Probably she just watched nothing to listen to music instead, but we decided to watch fucking Kurt Russell.
Speaker 2: Reminds me last year, I think it was on Christmas Eve, and this is gonna be like the worst way to spend Christmas Eve, So don't share. Don't tell the wife that I shared the story. We waited until the last minute to wrap all the kids' gifts, and so it was Christmas Eve and we sat up in the living room and she had I think she had fallen or just pulled her back or something and had gotten like full blown muscle relaxers because her back was that bad. And so we sat down on Christmas Eve to wrap all these together while watching The Iron Claw, and she took two muscle relaxers and by the second present was literally like full blown asleep, handing me pieces of tape and not making it to me while the Iron Claws playing and people are dying on film, And yeah, that was a that was a weird one.
Speaker 3: We're watching that Santa Claus movie, all fucked up and things are happening, and she's like, what movie is this again? And I'm like, break breakdown. I think breakdown. It's escape from La. I like escape from La. It's fun it's what's not a goy's what's about to happen.
Speaker 2: It's so weird that Matt Gates was in that movie, so ahead of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. So I teach this course in media history from oral oral communication to digital media. You know, and you think about, if you believe scientists, human beings have been on earth for about two hundred thousand years, right, and if you think about modern mass media, like the first print newspapers, that's about three hundred and fifty years. So in three hundred and fifty years, we've gone from newspapers like the first like commodification of information as a commercial product to like we're cyborgs now right, Like we're constantly interacting with screen media. We're constantly like every action we take is recorded and categorized and broadcast, sold broadcasts, and we're constantly consuming and producing content, which is the word that we've given to media recordings that exist only in digital form and so two hundred thousand years of human life, three hundred and fifty years of modern mass media like Google's nineteen ninety eight. Right, So we're talking about not even thirty years of our modern digital.
Speaker 2: Life aggregated searching.
Speaker 3: And any moment the electrical grid could go down, an electrical grid is less than one hundred and fifty years old itself. What happens.
Speaker 2: People are pissed.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but I'm going full cannibal right away. I'm not getting weak that yellow jackets shit. That wouldn't you wouldn't have to like or through a bunch of flashbacks and flash forwards day one, like oh you're injured, I'm eating you, We're freezing the rest.
Speaker 2: But my point is I would like to reiterate that earlier in the show, Ronnie says Will is very pro death tonight, and you argued that you weren't.
Speaker 3: I'm never pro death. Well it happens. I'm not pro my death, I'll tell you that much. Despite my lifestyle. I'm just saying, all right, like look at look at the world that we've made, and how precarious it is, Like we live longer than we've ever lived before. But we're more helpless than some of us. Yes, well, I mean the pores.
Speaker 2: Which I was talking about, the fats.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. Man freaking Trump's eighty eating nothing at McDonald's. He's fine. The fuck. Don't wish death on Joe Ramony. My point is, and look at this farce. Man, we're all we're all looking at a live stream. What the fuck is a live stream?
Speaker 2: It's proof that we are alive.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know what this was until COVID. I guess hardly any of us did. I mean, people were just watching regular unboxing movies till then.
Speaker 2: We just played video games on their own, rather than watching.
Speaker 3: People video games talk about. I mean, we're all lawnmower men talk about the matrix. This shit's voluntary. I don't know. Film is the ultimate art because it synthesizes all the other arts. But it's also the most precarious one, because it's the only art that depends upon electricity. The grig goes down, all the theater kids will be fine. The film nerds are gonna be fucked up. You know, Quentin Tarantino, No, there is no Quentin Tarantino. There's reallyst Shakespeare. There's only Shakespeare, ShakespeRe. Shakespeare's like the Quentin Tarantino of the Renaissance. Well, it has been a wild night. We're all gonna die.
Speaker 2: Three and a half hours of existential dread.
Speaker 3: That is pro murder.
Speaker 4: I'm not pro murder, not what I heard.
Speaker 3: Some things just have to be done. You know, some mysteries run deep. Note that was perfect.
Speaker 2: Uh. Can't wait to do this again with you next month, in a brand new year. We will be in twenty twenty five next time you are here.
Speaker 3: One more thing to talk about to night. I got one more thing too, Okay, take your take your one thing. Well, if you haven't gotten enough of listening to Ryan and Me talk, you can listen to Ryan and Me talk with Chris Statue who about Bride of Chucky on the Culture Cast. Uh. And if you are a real gluten for punishment, you can listen to just Me talking with Chris Statue about the Craft. Do you want to know what I think about feminism? Both both up on the Culture Cast.
Speaker 2: Weirdingway Media dot com dot com and another one with Will premiering in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Actually, can I say what it's about? Yeah? Miracle on thirty fourth Street.
Speaker 2: And not the movie that's sitting right there close to you this time.
Speaker 3: Well, well, i'll definitely talk about Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Brendan wants to know any plans for in Defense of the genre to turn in the future. Been reverse binging the last month and love them.
Speaker 3: I was actually gonna ask you to take those down. I'm on a job search. These livestreams are bad enough.
Speaker 2: I do not have plans to bring back in the Defense of the Genre soon because we've gotten too busy since we were doing those. They were a blast and I would like to do more of them. But we'll see that those took quite a bit of work in planning, not for me. It's true, and you still won every single episode, so it's true that yeah, yeah, people love your your Anyways, I.
Speaker 3: Talked to Laurent recently and he was like, he was like, we should team up. We can be like Twins. You know the movie Twin.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, the movie.
Speaker 3: With the Anald Schwortz singer and Danny Devino.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, speaking of but it means nothing. One last thing we've not said this publicly that it was happening. Shelf Shock Rewind Awards, Volume three of Cole's Of Course, is about to happen. You'll be able to vote throughout the entire month of January. The actual awards ceremony will happen in February. Just like the last couple of years, it will be the week after the Super Bowl, so this year you can set your clocks. It will be on February sixteenth at eight pm Eastern or no, sorry, I think it might be seven pm Eastern. That we did it last year, so we're probably gonna do the same time. It's gonna be incredible. We're gonna be announcing the new co host here in the next couple of weeks, and we're gonna have some different categories this time. Already got some stuff planned that people are gonna love. Cannot wait to share these last couple of years doing this has been really really important, really incredible, the label's actually respecting it and cannot wait see what people vote for this year. Self Shock Sheelf shack Rewind Awards twenty twenty four happening in February. Any last words, William, that's ominous.
Speaker 3: It is okay.
Speaker 2: His last words were, that's ominous. Thank you all for watching. Have a good week, be safe, and I hope you have a good rest of your time tonight. I know it's late, make good choices.
Speaker 3: We all love you. See you later.
Speaker 2: You missed. Thank you for listening to the Disconnected podcast. There's one big thing that you could do to help the show, and that is to leave a rating and review on the podcast service of your choice.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Hey, you tell me no Hello.
Speaker 5: This is Chris Askell from They Live by Film. For those that don't know us, Adam Zach and I we built the podcast over the last two years. That's a combination of film discussion from three very different perspectives, as well as industry interviews with the leaders in Boutique, Blu Ray and four Kade community. We started with dev Crocodile, but over time we've been lucky enough to speak with Aero Video, Severn, Mondo, Macabre, Vinegar Syndrome, Radiant Syndicator, most of the OCN partner labels. It's been a blast. You can find us wherever you podcast and also actually recently as part of someone's favorite production podcast network. We hope to see you online.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description