Speaker 1: It's nice eyes Danny Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking about plane crashes here tonight and trying to find out if recent crashes. Obviously one in Washington, we took sixty seven lives, one in Toronto in which eighty people were bored. Thankfully none of them died and barely none in you know, critical injury. It's amazing that anybody walked away from that flight. Has that changed your attitude towards flying? Has it made you less likely? I know that there's a certain number of people out there who refuse to fly. I get it. I get it. It's an uncomfortable feeling if you're not if you think, oh my god, I'm up in the air here, I've lost I don't have any control driving a car. You're in control on a train. Although people die and train crashes, most people think, well, the trains are going to run off the tracks. I mean, I'm going to be okay, although they sometimes do. But planes are a different story. Most of the time. There are a few survivors, if any. The Toronto crash was just the opposite. So I want to hear from you. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or six seven nine three, one, ten thirty. We've been pretty lucky in this country. I think the last big plane crash we had was a plane crash in Buffalo, New York, in twenty ten. So we went about fifteen years or so without a bad plane crash, and then we had the plane crash on the Potomac, which was reminiscent of a plane crash back in the nineteen eighties of the Potomac. Let's get to the calls. I'd like to hear from as many of you as possible. Let me go to Dawn in New Hampshire. Was kind enough to hold through the news. Dawn. I appreciate your patience. We lost a couple of callers during the newscast. You're next on night side, any of you.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Dan, good evening.
Speaker 2: That's better. I don't know what you did to your phone, but you sound great. Now, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: I turned off the radio of my truck here and just put it on speaker. I have not changed my attitude about flying. I have flown for business at times three and four times a week, maybe not too long, a lot of Boston to New York, Boston to Washington, quite a bit. I've flown I've shown a flown to New Zealand about a year ago, and I've gone. I've flown to Europe a couple of times, So we're not really afraid of anything about that. I think the planes are are very safe. My wife and I are big fans of a program called Air Disasters on the Smithsonian Channel, which we've got to learn a lot about what it takes to go and it does not scare us from watching it. Really, it's it's more like, wow, look at this. And when you watch the programs, you see that a lot of the issues that have fallen about the plane crashes were frequently overseas, not too much here in the US. And I think in generally you're a lot safer in the air than you are on the ground. Are certainly a lot safer than going through a tunnel in Boston. You never know when the top might fall on you.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw that video the other day and that was reminiscent of the tiles that fell back in I guess it was when Mitt Romney was governor in the Tip O'Neil tunnel. Yeah, you just never know. I mean there were amazingly no one hurt. The other day I think that the statistics still show that in terms of passenger miles, the numbers of miles people on airplanes fly, it's statistically safer to be on an airplane than it is to be in a car. But I think all of us are a heck of a lot more used to being in an automobile, and we feel we're under We control the car, we don't control the plane.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I kind of doubt the whole thing on the pilots after COVID shot.
Speaker 2: I know no idea what we're going to do with that. I hate to challenge people, but you know again, I just as soon as you're saying to me, oh, you know, the media keeps it undercovered. The media is still competitive, and if there's a story, it just that is, you know it. Does the media have a certain political biases, Absolutely absolutely, But a story is a story, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't get it. I don't get it. A major story they're going to cover up. I don't think so. But that's neither here nor there. But it was good news that he told me that we wore a certain sort of suit cloth suit so in case there's a fire on the plane, he'll be okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They also should not wear flip flops or cross they should be wearing ready to do anyway, thank you very much for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Don talk to you soon. Okay, thanks very much. I got to take a quick break. I got two of my favorite callers coming up, William in Baltimore, Laurie and Idaho, and I got room for some new callers here, folks six, one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. If you never called nightside, I invite you to join the conversation. Are you still somebody who is who looks forward to flying? I don't to be honest with you. I remember when I was working as a TV reporter, I had either a record player or tape deck back in the day. That'll date me and I used to love playing the Willie Nelson song on the road again. I remember one Friday they called me and said, hey, got Germany the hostages. There's there's new hostages going. Hostage families going over some of the marine people who are killed at the Bay Root bomb blast. There were like two hundred and forty three Marines and there were some survivors, including one young man from Massachusetts, and we went over and met him and his family there and literally flew on Friday Friday night from Boston and Frankfort. We had to fly to London on Saturday morning so we could edit, and then back to Frankfort to get home on Sunday. We you know, we did like nine thousand miles and I think forty five hours and filed reports on two days. But that was that was challenging. It was fun. Fine, isn't fun anymore. But I just putting data aside, putting the fact that it is too crowded and the seats are too small and there's not enough room for not enough leg room, and the baggage bins are too small, and they've crowded too many people in there is more importantly, have the plane crashes and the near problems of the last few days. We had one out of Atlanta today smoking the cockpit. You're in a car, you're smoking the plane, I should say, just not in the cockpit. And I saw that video tonight. That was that was a nasty situation that those people had to tolerate as they they went back to Atlanta. Okay, we got six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty one line there and six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We're coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: One of my best callers, my friend William from Baltimore or William? Welcome? How are you sir?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: Now you're going, Darren and talk to you for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, right, that's all right. Glad to hear your voice tonight. So I know that that you have told me in the past you were blind, but but you have traveled by air. How are you feeling about it these days?
Speaker 5: Well, then I'll tell you what. I'll fly, right, and I'm going to fly in July going to a convention for the Blurn in New Orleans.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: I went there a year before last on Southwestern Direct. Like last year I went to Chicago, and the year before that I went to UH act him and uh, you know, I fly. I'm gonna tell you I agree with the guy as far as uh. I think it's a hassle. You're gonna go into ts A and uh and you know when you gotta take your set off and you know, one time a guy they're gonna they go search the guide. Now he wants to play and all that. You know, Yeah, yeah, a hassle man.
Speaker 7: But other than that, once again, would seemed to me that if I was a T S A guy, a person, I'd be a little more respectful of you than the average fire Do you feel like that, you get that you that you're.
Speaker 2: Respected as someone who's who's you know, dealing with the disability. And I say this on I kind of imagine how difficult your life might be, your life must be if I lost, if I were to have lost my vision.
Speaker 5: So they are, yeah, some of them are nice, and some of them, you know on the spire them you know, some of them, you know, they're just a by the boat. But one thing I am about all the airlines, Uh they let through pre board. So I like that, you know, But I was remna use talking last week. I'm gonna tell you what I hate. When the plane lands and they tell everybody to say seated and tell the plane gets city gate and remember you say, people stand up and uh, you know they're taking things out the bens And I'm gonna talk. I'm six foot three, so I always like to sit on the aisle you know. When I had my dog, though, I used to sit in the middle because I had to put him up under the seat and then people want to pet him and bother him and all.
Speaker 6: That, you know.
Speaker 5: And I used to say, please leave it out alone. He's working, you know. But people will hit you with bags and everything. And as far as like driving, look, I lived in Denver, I lived in Baltimore. So I had this white idea. I was gonna take a boyhound to Denver.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I was on that busck for forty eight hours when and uh that that broke me out. O that brooke me out. That I was playing two hundred dollars and I found out that uh, punt Tier will fly me home for one hundred and ninety round trip, you know, and I have to take the Red Eye, you know, and be in Baltimore in the morning. Leave leave b I a like at the eleventh at night and getting Baltimore at five am, you know. So you know, I was like, man, you know, so I've flown a lot, you know, But like you said, for the most fun people, you know, the airline people, they're putty court this. I really don't have no problem with them, but it's just that the TSA and with the shoes because sometimes, you know what I found out, sometimes they'll make you take your shoes off of the line, and sometimes they won't, you know, so I'll be like, man, I wish I would just be consistent, you know, but uh, because but other than that, yes, I think flying has gotten you know. I first leave the year that been Lumbias got killed nineteen eighty six. That was my first flying because I remember he died just before this convention I was going to in Tansas City.
Speaker 2: Majority he died the day or the night after that. He get drafted number one by the Celtics.
Speaker 5: Yes, I remember it. Well, yeah, yeah, so yeah, Dan, you know I enjoyed flying. But yeah, of course, let's see, I'm the type of flyer like this, like I told my brother, because he flies a lot too, because he goes to a lot of spoiling, you know. But I just say, I say a player, man, and I not being able to see, I don't know what's going on anyway, I'm like you. I've always heard that the plane makes it makes a good takeoff on the good land, and that's the most dangerous part of plying. Right there, once you get in.
Speaker 2: My opinion, and we've seen that in the well, both the Toronto case and in the Potomac case as well. William, I'm so happy to hear your voice. My friend is always well all right, and we're gonna watch those Orioles this year. Okay, I think they oh.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they do it a lot better.
Speaker 5: They do a lot better.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, great fur ten thirty, we're gonna go from William, who's a great guy in Baltimore, to Laurie, who's a great woman in Idaho. I'm so lucky to have William and Laurie as regular listeners. Hey, Laurie, welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 9: That sounds like a college I'm doing well. Happy moon Day, Oh Moan Day.
Speaker 2: You were the one that taught me that. And you know something, I mentioned that to someone today. I was talking to someone asked me how the day was gone. I said, it's a typical Moan day. Yeah, I'll tell you mondays, get me down, trust.
Speaker 9: Me, Yeah exactly. So anyway, it's almost over.
Speaker 2: So that's okay. No no, no, no, no, no, we're fine. We're okay, We're okay. So are you you look forward to flying or no?
Speaker 9: No, These days.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 9: I mean I've flown a lot and I've been on the airplane since I was two years old, So I've flown a lot and I.
Speaker 3: Always loved it.
Speaker 9: I love to take off. I mean I did, but I first of all become miserable and because of you know, all the overcrowding of the planes for the most part. But so when we had that disaster give me down in Washington, I got to see, I've had I've been on a lot of flights. I haven't had any anything really bad. There's, like you said, there's have been interesting landings, but I always find them kind of exciting. And I thought, wow, I've been flying a lot and nothing's really happened. What if I do? And so that I thought, you know, the bad things coming three. So we had the one and the two and I thought, all right, I'm not going to fly for and then there were three. Then there were four. So it hasn't really deterred me. But I think I'll maybe be more careful about flying in winter. And what airport I'm going to like, Not one that shares the airspace with training helicopters.
Speaker 2: Well that was what's crazy. I mean, it's in the law. You always talk about the concept of foreseeability in terms of twenty cases injury cases. And you know, the example that's always given is someone you know, breaks a bottle of ketchup in Aisle five and it doesn't get cleaned up. Was pretty foreseeable. Somebody could walk down and then slip and slide and fall and hurt themselves. I think about you. You got at night, you got helicopter pilots in the same uh you know area. As as planes coming in, it's just.
Speaker 9: Below that level. But well they're all supposed to stay below the level. The other thing that that happened is that would it get brought up occasionally. But that plane at the last minute ish kind of took a different route in. They took a different you know, approach to a different runway. They took a shorter runway or a closer runway for whatever reason, I don't know, and I don't think the pilots of the helicopter necessarily got that information.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll do this story. Well, it'll be a story, uh you know, nine months from now next to Christmas, and you'll hear about the cause of the accident and it'll all be in our rearview Mira and it'll be Yeah. My family said that for them, these people are gone gone. I look back on air travel and I look at this, and I'm thinking to myself, you know, it's great. If you've got to fly from from the East coast to the west coast, where do you fly out of an Idaho? Do you got to go to Boise to get it? To get an airplane? Anywhere? Where do you got to go?
Speaker 4: Brocan?
Speaker 9: I can either go four and a half hours with Missoula, which I hate Missoula. Bocan is half decent, and I'm about an hour from Spokane.
Speaker 2: Missoula is east of you, is it it?
Speaker 3: That's Montana, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, that's where.
Speaker 9: But it's where Montana kind of jets out and gets so if I wanted to, Because it depends on the flight, it's not every flight, not every air perier flight. But Bocan is actually pretty decent. And I've been in now there a couple of times. But when I was back and forth from New England to Montana, Midula was the place. But from here it is Spokane, which is much more doable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, Well Spokane of Missoula. It sounds like Spokane to me.
Speaker 9: If oh yeah, for totally absolutely no. Misoela Air Force sucks. So I got to thinking, you know, the p s A checkpoints and all that, I'm gonna have to go through the special Wandi place now, which.
Speaker 2: Is gonna suck because of my hip.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Actually, I mean they have those, they have those new like star Trek X ray or kind of things. I wonder if that that clears it now, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be simple for you. And when they when you say, hey, you know, I got some some some metal in me or whatever, you light it up and they're gonna accept that.
Speaker 9: Well, so my dark croud my dad forever, and he had replacement knees, so they pulled him aside. But at least they just wanted everything. He didn't have to take his shoes off, he didn't have to so empty his pockets. But so, I don't know, maybe maybe they'll have magic machines that catch it all in one.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Well, that's gonna be freaky, I know.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. Hopefully you hip feels better.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they feel great?
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Okay, thanks by f take quick break here at the bottom of the ear. I get a couple of lines at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. Got one line at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Kind of an easy Monday night here. We're just talking about flying on airplanes. Most of us have done it. If there's anyone else, well, I know someone who's very close to me who's never flown on an airplane. I'm not going to out that person. But there are people who I'm sure have made it a life choice that they would never fly on an airplane. Okay, I get it. But I'm wondering if some of this state of airline crashes that we have sadly all witnessed in the last I don't know, six weeks or so five or maybe less than that four weeks, if that has caused you to rethink how often you'll fly or how far you fly. I haven't come to that conclusion yet, but I'm sure some of you have. And if you want to tell me a an airplane story, that's always welcome. As Homer Simpson would say, I love stories. Six one seven The only line is six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. Got one open there. If you're dialing right now, we'll get you on. I promise six, one, seven, two, ten thirty coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about airplane travel and i'd love to know you're feeling if you are feeling just a little uncomfortable after these last two big plane crashes and some small crashes in between. Let me go to Joan in Rhode Island. Hi, Joan, welcome, How.
Speaker 11: Are you hi?
Speaker 4: I'm Will.
Speaker 2: Is this Joan who I know from Rhode Island? Or have you called before?
Speaker 4: I'll call once before, several years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, there's there's another Joan who was called in from I think she was in Slovakia one time and California. Yeah, yeah, okay, so go ahead, Joan.
Speaker 4: I saw you at Logan Airport on January twenty third, nineteen eighty two, at the end of the runway where the plane plied into Boston Harbor. You came on board.
Speaker 2: Did you see me on TV? Did you see me there in person?
Speaker 4: I saw you there in person. You came aboard the bus that they loaded us onto. Because they didn't know what to do this, they finally sent to bus and from the people who got off the plane and you came on board, and you were wanting to know what was going on, but all of us passengers wanted to know what was going on too. And anyway, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Were on the World Airways flight that slid off the runway.
Speaker 4: Yes, World, they have flight thirty from Oakland and then we stopped in Newark, Yes, and it was there was an ice storm there, yes, And that's where people got off and the Metcalf people got on.
Speaker 2: And what do you think that that they basically went into the Harvard drowned.
Speaker 4: I get, I think so. I never, like you said, they were never found that I heard of. They were sitting in the from what I understand they were, you know, they were happy to get on last minute. Well, some people got off and they got in the front seats, well.
Speaker 2: What we call the bulkhead seats.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm not sure. I thought that.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of leg rooms.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, row behind the pilot and and the nose of the plane broke off into the water, and and that first row of seats went into the water from and I think a couple of the stewardesses or attendants went in the water, but they were rescued and I was in the middle of the plane on the left wing.
Speaker 8: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question. How soon did after that did you fly again?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Within a couple of months. Yeah, I flew several times after. I haven't flown in a few years now because I don't like to drive.
Speaker 2: How much courage did you need that?
Speaker 4: No? Not none?
Speaker 2: Really? Okay?
Speaker 4: That well, that Harbor plane crash had taken place about ten days earlier, with the plane and over the Potomac.
Speaker 8: Hit the bridge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that bridge, Yeah, fourteen. I couldn't remember this Witch Street, but that has had happened. Yeah, but that didn't stop me from going on my trip to be my brother in Oakland. And it was on the way home that that my mishap happened. But I haven't flown in a few years, mostly because I don't like having to go to Boston and not a lot, not a lot of flights from Providence Warwick go where I want to go.
Speaker 2: Right by the way. But you remember the name there was the guy. Oh, his name was Lenny Scuttneck. He was the guy who did who has saved some people's lives on that flight. I worked for the federal government, and he was just like walking home from.
Speaker 4: Work that night in Washington or buston in Washington. In Washington, Oh, no, I don't. I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: He was twenty eight. It said he was going home on January thirteen with the boweling seven thirty seven hit the bridge and fell into the Potomac. There were I guess there was seventy seventy seventy four passages, and only six of them survived. And I think he was involved in pulling at least some of them out of the water. Joe and I enjoyed the call very much. I look forward to the next time we chast Well.
Speaker 4: I listened to you all the time. I didn't turn on till late later than usual tonight, but I heard you talking about, Uh, my flight had.
Speaker 2: An experience that I shared a little bit.
Speaker 4: One one one lesson. One quick lesson I did learn is to listen to the directions to not unfasten your seatbelt as soon as the plane lands.
Speaker 2: Uhcause you and it just skidded, it never.
Speaker 4: Kept it kept right. It hit a pilot.
Speaker 2: I believe did you know after it landed that you that the plane was in trouble because it was.
Speaker 4: Just yes, no, it wasn't going that fast. It just kept going and going, and it was it was the ice storm was still going on. And the one thing know not to it slowed down. After you hit the piling and then the wiley, the nose of the plane went into the water. It wasn't that deep. I got I got off the opposite wing exit and walked down the wings down to the with a shallow The water was the most shallow. But the thing is, don't take your seat belt off after they say leave it on. Still it's a complete stop because at least one person had taken off her seat belt and she flew over the seats and I don't know if she broke her back, and she badly hurt her back. So do follow that direction.
Speaker 2: All right? Thanks John, We'll talk soon. Thanks again, and beat call more often. Thanks John, appreciate it. Let me go to Jamie and Worcester. Jamie your next nightside. I want to get you in here before the break, right ahead, Jamie.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'll make you quick. I've only flowed three times in my life, twice to Florida and wants to Spain. When my brother was on an inter internship in Barcelona and everything went fine.
Speaker 8: I have no problems, so.
Speaker 10: You know, I I just think that, you know, you can't worry about it. You gotta go on the plane. You gotta go on a kay whatever, it's gonna be what it's gonna be. If you're gonna die, that's gonna be the thing that that's gonna be a thing. You can't control it.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no question about that. So you're you're a bit of a fatalist that that what what is planned for you is gonna happen or not happen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you just I just can't worry about it. I mean, it's gonna do what I gotta do. If I have to go to Florida, if I have to travel on a plane, I do it, and whatever happens happens. And the only thing I think of when you're talking about this topic is John Madden. He even want to did he not?
Speaker 9: Was he afraid of play?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? He Uh that's he didn't want to want to fly. Now again, I assumed there were times when he had to fly long you know, yeah, yeah, but I think there was also his choice. Now he could do that as a broadcaster. He couldn't do it as a coach. I'm sure that he had to fly as a coach, meaning if they played a game, let's say against I don't know, you know, an East Coast team that the Jets are the Patriots, and they were home the next Sunday in Oakland. Uh. Yeah, you know, you can't spend four days driving across the country in a bus if you're the coach. He was able to do that. Yeah, as a broadcaster. There was a Red Sox player. Uh, probably you don't remember. He was a very good right fielder. His name was Jackie Jensen and he actually he had played in the Rose Bowl. He was a kind of a double threat athlete. He was a great football player and and and played for the Red Sox and was a really good player at a time when the Red Sox didn't have a lot of really good players. And in those days, all of the American League teams were grouped in the northeast Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, and New York. The Red Sox, the Senators, I think the furthest west they ever they went was Kansas City. And he was fine because they did all travel by trains. But once the American League expanded and you had a team in Minnesota and then Los Angeles, the Angels and the Twins, and he knew it'd have to fly. He ended his base major league baseball career just didn't want to fly. As Casey Stinger would say, you can look it up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 10: Just one more thing.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 10: Lebron James's son doesn't like to travel and that's why the ge League he only plays the home games.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought you were going to make a a basketball joke that he doesn't like to travel and that's that's why he passes so much. Yeah, no, I got it. Okay, I think radio too.
Speaker 10: A kid doesn't want to go, you know, you want to play the NBA and he doesn't want to travel on a plane.
Speaker 2: That's come on, That's all they do is travel on planes because they're playing on a Tuesday night in LA and they're playing in Philadelphia on Thursday. Look at I'm I still marvel at how many planes the major league teams take, particularly the teams that fly in winter hockey and in basketball that they get some bad weather. There was a plane crash in Russia a few years ago when one of what you know, they have a professional hockey league over there called the Continental Hockey League, And it was a plane crash that I think it took the life of a guy that had played for the Bruins. I'm gonna look it up real quickly here who at that point was a coach And you know, you do all of these fights in the National Hockey League, and he didn't ever have a problem. And let me see if I got the right guy here. Maybe I don't, do I have it the right guy here? Yeah, he died in a plane crash in September of twenty eleven, and a team plane crash, that's what happened to him. Yeah, he was killed. His name was Brad McKinnon, mccrimmin, McCrimmon. He was a good defense He left the NHL to become the head coach of the Locomotive Yaroslav of the Continental Hockey League in twenty eleven. He never coached a regular season game, however, as he was killed along with most of his team after they plane crashed and route to their first game. So interesting. Thanks Jamie, appreciate you call.
Speaker 10: Have a great one, Thank you. Yeah, I have a good one.
Speaker 2: Night. All right, Okay, I got Bill and Ubrin and I got kind of a slow last hour here, folks, So uh, if you want to join in, I'll get you on Between now and midnight six one seven, two five four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. We are talking about plane travel and whether or not the most recent spate of plane problems are causing you to rethink whether or not you want to get on an airplane as often as you have in the past, or whether or not you even want to consider flying again. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep rolling here, gonna go to Bill and Wilburn. Bill, your next on Nightside. Appreciate your call. Gor ahead, Bill, the first time caller, Dan, All right, let's get a round of applause. Well, I don't know if you're gonna get a round of applause for me. We have a new producer tonight, so I don't know if he knows where the applause button is, So go.
Speaker 11: Right AA Bill, all right.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 11: When Glenn Foley's father was playing quarterback for the Boston College Eagles. We flew down to Tennessee, but we had to make a good connection in Washington to get to Knoxville. We went to Kennedy's grave and we did make the connection. So anyway, getting back to my story. After the game, we go over the bus. Jim Whalen was playing for BC. In fact, remember Jim Whalen, all right, So anyway, Bill Flints.
Speaker 2: Whalen wasn't playing when Glenn Foley was playing.
Speaker 11: No Ed Foley Glenn Foley's father.
Speaker 2: Oh great, okay, yeah.
Speaker 11: Ed Foley is he played two years quarterback for Boston College. Anyway, after the game, say lo BC loss. Steve DeLong was playing for Tennessee. So anyway, we go over to the bus and Bill Flint says, get on the bus with the team, saving caffee, going back to the airport. So we got we got on the bus with it. You don't do that now, but he gave put us on the bus with the team go back to the airport, and then we flew back to what we have to regroup and go back to Boston. So that was a pretty good story.
Speaker 2: That's a good memory, that's a good that's flying first class even though you were on a plane when you were first class. I like that.
Speaker 11: Oh I know, fact is, I thought it was open lines. I had a litany of things to tell you about open lines, but I got that story about planes anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll tell you what I'll do open line some point in the next couple of weeks, and you keep listening and we'll get you in.
Speaker 11: Okay, ok I got a good lot of things to tell you. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Boy. Thank you, Okay, I'll look forward to hearing from you. Thank you, Thank you. Out to you, my friend. Good night. We're i gonna go next. I've got to Koreeene in Corren Krene in Bridgewater.
Speaker 3: Hi, Koreen, how are you good? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 12: Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for calling in your take on we're talking about planes here tonight and sad stories about planes go right.
Speaker 12: Ahead, exactly. Well, I have the fortunes to say I've traveled a lot and outside of turbulence, you know, nothing's ever really faced me about planes until you know, as of recent and only because my son, who was in the Air Force, got his pilot's license and now he's furthering it. For commercial and I got to tell you, as a mother, I'm a little concerned. I'm like, who's like, does anybody have.
Speaker 3: A grip on?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 12: Is everybody like where they should be? Are there are enough mechanics? Are there are enough airline controllers?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 12: And that's that's what's really got me thinking about planes now, where before I was just I love the idea, but matter of fact, I always wanted to be a students. But I just have that concern now. And I don't know whether it's just brought to our attention more by media of everything that's going around in the world and everybody's coming to terms with.
Speaker 2: I think there's a little bit of that. But I also think that the twenty four hour news cycle, when there's a big plane crash, it's there. I mean in the old days, it was on you know, the nightly evening news or something for you know, a minute or two minutes. Now it's replayed. How many times have you seen that plane sliding and exploding in Toronto? I mean, they get that video, it's like on a loop, kept replaying. So that's why I think that people are going to have probably at the you know the end of the day two munchs people forget about it and they'll be back up to seventy percent. But there was a drop in the percentage of people who feel that planes are either safe or somewhat safe. It went from seventy one cent to sixty four percent. That's a big drop.
Speaker 12: There is, and there's gotta be there's gotta be more behind it.
Speaker 5: I just hope they get a grip on it film because.
Speaker 2: Well, we went several years without a big plane crash in America. Uh, the last one before the Potomac was up in Buffalo. I think it was twenty ten, So that was a long time without a major plane crash, but more than many.
Speaker 6: Right, which is which is very secure in hearing. But it's as of recent where there's too many of them happening. You just wonder like it's something glitching in their you know, their mechanicalism or yeah, I don't know. I hope think that.
Speaker 2: I think the one in Toronto was understandable, and I think the one in Potomac was just a dumb mistake. They shouldn't have had army helicopter and army helicopter in that airspace. Karina, I want to get one more and thanks so much for calling you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 2: Have a good night, you too. Okay, Kurt Middleborough, Kurt, you're gonna wrap it for us tonight. Your thoughts go right ahead, Kurt.
Speaker 8: Yes, this is Kurt.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, you're in the air.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I heard a couple of accounts of the plane going in the water in Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah. One of them said that it was nineteen eighty four, but I think it was eighty two.
Speaker 2: It was eighty two. Yeah, I corrected. The woman said it was eighty four, and it was January twenty third, nineteen eighty two. I looked it up. I thought of being a little earlier than that, but I looked it up to be sure. It was nineteen eighty two. Yeah, it's been a while over.
Speaker 8: My older sister was coming home from Moscow that night.
Speaker 3: Really, she had.
Speaker 8: Been studying the semester at the University of Moscow, and he came to California first and then was supposed to get a connecting flight, but something didn't work out, and when the plane went in the water, the rest of my family fought that she had died.
Speaker 2: But was she on that flight.
Speaker 8: She was supposed to be honest.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha? Okay, Well, thank god she wasn't. Thank god she got onto a different flight and got home safe and safe and sound flight. All right. Great, hey, Kurt, thanks, I got you in none of the wire, but I'm flat out of time, so i gotta let you run.
Speaker 8: Okay, I understand you. Have a good night.
Speaker 2: You two. Appreciate your call and call again. All right, We're done for this night. As we move on, I want to thank Mike Templeton, who was our producer tonight in Rob's absence. Great job, Mike, Thank you very much. One of your first shows here on Nightside, hopefully the first of many. Rob maybe back tomorrow night. If not, Mike will be here. I'll be here tomorrow night. Marita will be here tomorrow during the day, and I'll end. There's always all dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rays, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's all Your pets are pasted. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. See again tomorrow night on Nightside. Everybody be on Night's Side Facebook Nightside with Dan Ray in just a couple of minutes