Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by Justice talking always like a bat, be off culture chaos and you saved legs.
Speaker 2: Like a lost stream.
Speaker 1: Well Ryan, wait what nothing?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Sorry, No, when you have something to say, go for it.
Speaker 2: I was talking to the behind the scenes team. Sorry my bad.
Speaker 1: Why don't you Why don't you explain your current situation?
Speaker 2: My current situation. Oh, I'm in New Hampshire dog sitting. They did not give me permission to share.
Speaker 1: That, so, oh, you can't share the dogs names.
Speaker 2: The dogs did not reforremshing to hear that, So that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, that's very so I like not having a dog. I didn't know years ago that when you know, like I know, dogs are more high maintenance than a cat. But with the cats, I would just leave for days. But with a dog, I figured, like, oh, you got to check on them once a day. But like, dog sitters live at your house, which I did not realize that, which is crazy. I mean, you're not You're doing it for a family member, which is very kind, but that's really intense.
Speaker 2: They're I mean, these guys are I mean, surprisingly for the size of them, they're very low key. They're not like too, like over a maintenanced I just think it's the case of them getting used to you is just the hardest part of it. It's like, Okay, who the fuck is this person here? But I couldn't imagine like bringing them to another house like that would be for them. That must be brutal. It's must be.
Speaker 1: Well, they're both pretty large and hairy from the looks.
Speaker 2: Of it, very much so, so I'm on their turf, which is totally fine. I will follow the rules, but if they break them, I am not going to enforce them. That's what I was. That's what I told the parents of the dogs, just so you know clearly I'm on their turf.
Speaker 1: Especially when you're doing it for free. Like when I would babysit. I don't really babysit a lot anymore because a my nieces are older, but also be they live like over an hour away. But when they used to live in Charlestown and I lived in Charlestown, I would babysit them all the time, and Megan would Megan would be like, don't have them watch TV the whole time, and I would say, I'm gonna do whatever I want because you're you're not here and I'm babysitting for free. So then Megan would be like, all right, like, because what do you say to that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But we would watch TV the whole time, and then I would give them ice cream because who cares?
Speaker 2: This? The tone here is much more you are not doing what we need you to do, so we will make you do it. That is how think copy go about things.
Speaker 1: It's actually not that different with kids, so it's kind of just a little bark enough.
Speaker 2: But they're very good dudes and very low maintenance guys.
Speaker 1: So well as Huey Lewis, I believe it. Huey Lewis said, this is it. This is the podcast I've been waiting for for almost a decade. It's like six hundred and fifty episodes. And to mark this occasion, I'm having the most expensive liquor in my house, which I believe this is awful. I hope I'm getting this right. I believe Pep gave this to me for my birthday. If I'm wrong and you're listening and you gave it to me, feel free to correct correct. But it's the The Tear Canal Tier Connell The Teerconnell Teerconnell single malt Irish whiskey, aged ten years. I had never had this before getting it as a gift, and it is fucking awesome. It's really hard to not drink. Like Andy Juno collects really nice whiskeys, and I want to do that, but I can't because I just drink them. We actually have a rule now that there's no hard liquor allowed in the house because and it's not like Shannon's not much better than me, but I just drink it, and Shannon drinks the two. So the rule is like, we can't avoc him if we have. If I buy a handle of vodka right now, it would be gone in forty eight hours. Wow, Yeah, we can't. It's it's too dangerous, so we don't. We don't allow hard liquor in the house anymore. I don't need it. But this is a special occasion and I'm gonna toast Ryan to you. This is the Dark Knight Pod t DK t DK and we got a lot of feedback, a lot of letters from the Batman Begins pod, so people are really enjoying it. I'm gonna read a few of them. These are the letters that were mailed in to me. Jimmy, shut up, Ryan, don't don't don't go behind the scenes and ruin it for the listen. Oh, I was not even no, I haven't put it out yet. But dude, I haven't put it out yet Ryan, But.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean Joe sh Love does call him over recording, so there's something out there.
Speaker 1: Well, by the time this is put out, they will be put out. And the letters I receiver from the Patreon listeners who got to listen to the Drek Knight Potter early Okay, this is Jimmy from Denver wrote, lifelong sets her fan. Finally the man is getting some recognition. Thanks guys, Thank you. Jimmy. Jonah from Kansas City said I can't wait to jump driving Whale through this whole series. It's very nice. Paula Paula from Wichita wrote, Paula's in the ice box looking for a Dark Knight pod. Well, don't worry, paul It. She sure was. She she sure was. Yikes, she sure will. Two on from Vietnam wrote, we all love you here. When are you visiting?
Speaker 2: That is true? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right yeah. And then finally, Joe Schlub writes in you were very dismissive of the Swing Revive all it was featured in more movies than just Swing Kids, you left out the mask and also Swingers fuck you.
Speaker 2: He is not wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's very true.
Speaker 2: But he's not wrong.
Speaker 1: I wrote a note because we're talking about how while you're waiting for the Imax to play, they play the Swing Revival song Zoo two Riot. They also play the Dirty Boogie, don't they? Yes, Yeah, isn't that Brian.
Speaker 2: Setzer Any insanely annoying song is played in that Preyo to the day to this day it's insane.
Speaker 1: That's like the only place I've ever heard the dirt the Dirty Boogey, and like the spotlight is moving around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I have enough to do that yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Which, I saw this in the IMAX Great transition, and I forgot to mention at the end of The Dark Knight pod, I don't think I mentioned my joke that I really enjoyed where I at the end of the movie, Commissioner Gordon says, I forgot to think, Uh, what does he say? I never thanked you? He says at the end of The Dark Knight, I never thanked you, And Batman says, and you'll never have to, But can you venmo me like thirty Bucks?
Speaker 2: I mean, he just he just lost Wayne Manner, so he's probably down.
Speaker 1: If if Batman asked Commissioner Gordon for thirty Bucks, Commissioner Gordon would be so concerned, deeply, deeply concerned.
Speaker 2: And he knows it's happening again. He knows it's going to happen again.
Speaker 1: But we we You said it will take an entire episode to do this, and it might. I mean, I don't. I'm not anticipating that, but it might. You wanted to talk about at length the build up to The Dark Knight. Yeah, do you remember where and when you saw The Dark Knight for the first time?
Speaker 2: I do. I saw Midnight Show in Imax and.
Speaker 1: Reading and read and reading is how's and reading?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: But what what year did Dark Knight was two thousand.
Speaker 2: And eight, right, yep, Summer of two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Summer of two thousand and eight, So I just graduated college and Dark Knight Sorry, Dark Knight Batman Begins was five Yeah, okay, so there's a three year build up where at the end of the of Begins we realized this next movie is going to be about the Joker, and everybody was like, Holy Mother of God. So I wrote down a timeline, but why don't you start discussing the build up while I pull this up?
Speaker 2: Ryan, Sure, I'm sure your timeline will correct a lot of this. So, like you said, the ending occurs three years, I'd say like maybe like six oh seven. You start getting more of the announcements of casting who's going to be in it. First of actually a lot of the announcements are going to be are they going to do another one? Because again we said before, Like I said before, begins to not make a ton of money. I don't think it was as big as success as they wanted it to be, but I can't imagine they were doubting it. But I knew it was not considered to be a massive, massive hit. So then I think, oh six, because they must have shot it. Then they start doing a lot of the casting announcements in the movie. And I think the first thing about this movie too, specifically is they confirmed the title of this movie. That probably was the initial hype starter. I thought that they were just going to call it The Dark Knight, in which we all erupted with joy, and it was going to be going for something different, not the style we saw a Batman Begins. That was the big kind of announcement about it that no one had made. I think after that is they announced they're doing I think they announced it. That could be wrong. I know they announce obviously they knew the Joker, but I think they announced they are also doing two Face in the same movie. And I think kind of a smart idea about Batman Begins was not starting with villains that we had seen in the movies before, so they were like, Okay, we're doing two heavy hitters in this movie. I could be wrong about the two face part. Then after that, and I'm sure I know we talked about this a lot on the Heath Ledger of podcast, but a big thing is the announcement of Heath Ledger playing the Joker and the kind of discussions that strung up after. And I think they announced it, and then I think, do they release the photo at the same time or no, is it after they announced it.
Speaker 1: I don't totally remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think they knew the photo was not too long after, because they did the same thing with Bain where they released this kind of black and white and red photo of him, and it's just very it's very like it's not like an actual photo. It's much more of like block out the background and stuff like that. But there was just a lot of like casting talk around this movie in general. Who was going to play the Joker. There was rumors that like Robin Williams wanted to play him because he had been in Insomnia and he always wanted to play that kind of character. He gets strung along during the first Batman movie with that, and there was this other comedian guy. There was rumors of Sean Penn. There was just always this kind of like you don't know how true they were, but ideas of who was going to play him. And then when they announced Heith Ledger, as we talked about, there was a lot of controversy about that in terms of people thinking could he do it, because at the time there was only really in terms of movies that Nicholson that was so iconic and famous.
Speaker 1: So I was doing research. I asked AI, like, what were the big pushbacks from Ledger's casting, and it said Ledger was mostly known in the American public as a romantic lead, which is complete bullshit. By the way, he doesn't have a history of playing villains. Jack Nicholson's Shadow. Jack Nicholson's Joker was so iconic in the nineteen eighty nine Batman that nobody thought anyone could be able to live up to that, never mind be way better as it turned out to be, and early early Internet culture backlash message boards lit up saying it was a miscast. People were outraged. It was very similar to the tone of the initial outrage of Michael Keaton being cast as Batman in nineteen eighty nine, which is which is a great point. But I've said this a million times on the pod. I'm often wrong. I'm very very wrong a lot of the time, but a broken clock is right twice a day. Probably the most right I've ever been is I was telling everyone that had any idea about like movies or comics or whatever. I was like, no, Keith Fledger is going to fucking crush the Joker. And it was because I had seen like every heath Ledger movie he had ever done, and we have a whole heath Ledger podcast series. But he was in A Night's Tale in two thousand and one, which is a pretty like cookie cutter role. But then he played Billy Bob Thornton's son and Monsters Ball, which was just a yeah, oh is right Ryan. He played the famous Australian outlaw Ned Kelly. He was in Lords of Dogtown, which is one of your favorite roles of his ever. He completely transformed himself in that role. He was in Broke Back Mountain, which is hello, Like, to pull off Ennis and Broke Back Mountain, you have to be an acting god to pull off that role.
Speaker 2: Nominated for an Oscar that year for it, yep.
Speaker 1: Like you're a complete introvert, stoic cowboy who's undergoing a hurricane of inner turmoil that you can't show, but you do kind of have to show. That's really really challenging to do. Then he was in Candy, where he plays a drug addict, and he was in I'm Not There, and then following following that, The Dark Knight. So I'm trying to think of there's any other ten things I hate about you. He was awesome even though it's like not a super challenging role. He has an Australian accent, he's very charismatic. He's a very very charismatic guy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and to go with your comment earlier, I was one of the people who is like, I don't see it. I had not seen Broke Back Mountain, I had not seen The Lords of dog Town at the time, I had only really seen ten things. I had seen Monster's Ball. I was like, I don't see it.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't gonna call you out because I didn't want to be a dickhead. But I remember having this conversation with you, and I remember Paul. I feel like Paul was the same way, but not as strongly as you. I think he was like I don't remember, but I think Paul was disappointed with the choice, and I was telling you both, like, no, you were wrong. He is going to be great. So he was cast. In two thousand and six, Oh Wow, filming and viral marketing began where it was filmed in Chicago. They started the why So Serious viral campaign, which is one of the most influential film marketing efforts in the history of cinema.
Speaker 2: Huge, huge marketing on this movie marketing, giant this movie.
Speaker 1: Marketing, and I remember they released because they knew, like they knew what they had. I think that Warner Brothers. I think that Warner Brothers was like, you know, the producers were like, all right, let's see the dailies of how this is coming in, and then they saw and heard Ledger's performance and they were like, holy fucking shit, like this is gonna be so I remember this, like the studio intentionally leaked only the audio of Heath Ledgers the Joker, and I remember fans listening to it were like, this is fake. This is not Heath Ledger. This can't possibly be Heath Fledger in the movie.
Speaker 2: And what is the genius move they did after.
Speaker 1: The okay they released? Was it the tape in the kitchen?
Speaker 2: No, the first teaser was just the bat symbol on the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh part yes, Sorry, I'm interrupting you with those fucking brilliant describe describe this in detail.
Speaker 2: So it's just the bat symbol that you see in the opening credits of this movie, but it's falling apart in a different way, and the music is just blaring from Batman begins, and you hear Bruce Wayne saying like, you know, it's like, how do I like it's that whole scene that happens later and Alfred. I think the line is Alfred is like you hammered them. They went to someone they didn't fully understand. And then it's just silence, and then you see the Batman simple disintegrating. And then all you hear is the Joker saying I'm a man of my word, and it's just like that, and you're like, oh shit, okay, Like you're like, okay, this should be interesting. You saw nothing. That's the trailer. You see nothing. Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It was so so brilliant, and and people were losing their she about this movie coming out. It was the most anticipated already at this point, it was the most anticipated movie of the decade. And then and I might be skipping things, so if you want to backtrack, feel free. And then the movie is planning to come out in July of two thousand and eight. In January two thousand and eight, it's already eleven out of ten hyped, and everybody is so excited to see Heath Ledger's Joker. In January of two thousand and eight, six months before the movie comes out, Heathledger unexpectedly dies.
Speaker 2: Can we backtrack for one thing? Yes, so this is obviously more important. In November of two thousand and seven, Warner Brothers decides to put the opening scene of this movie in Imax in front of I Am Legend, Yes, as a preview, and it was the biggest mistake for I Am Legend to ever make, but the genius move of their part, because that was the first time you saw live footage of this happening in action. And we'll get to the scene, but it was just fucking electric. It was just like people were going to see it. And even I think I Am Legends a very good movie. Actually I don't want to bash it.
Speaker 1: Terrible, terrible ending ruined the whole movie. The ending was.
Speaker 2: Terrible, exactly agreed, agreed, But this footage was an IMAX and people were literally just going to see it to set a footage. The footage got pirated. Also, one thing, if people are interested at all, this version of the trailer is on YouTube. I think it's like a pirated version of it or whatever you want to call it. The Imax preview after the footage was just fucking sick. It was just like the burning fire truck on the side of the road, it was him walking in the street during the hit me scene. It was all the stuff you were seeing for the first time, and I remember just being like, I cannot fucking wait for this movie to come out, just if not more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to just to backtrack for one second on I Am Legend, because I know people listening are gonna be like, what are you talking about? So I Am Legend was a great movie with Willsonmith. It's a post apocalyptic horror movie about a man and his dog where he human beings are essentially have been turned into like zombie vampires. But it was at nineteen fifty four book, so this outdates, you know, the sixth sense by like forty years. It's the ultimate twist ending book where at the end of the book, he's this lone guy who goes around killing these vampires and then he realizes like, oh wait a minute, I'm the villain. Like the world is now all zombie vampires and they're all terrified of this one dude with his dog who goes around killing people, and like that's the end of the book. He realizes I am the villain in this. I thought I was like the hero trying to survive the apocalypse. So for the for the Hollywood movie, they just sort of like, let's just make a totally normal, non twist ending because I will bum people out. And it was like the biggest missed opportunity ever.
Speaker 2: Oh, it would have been amazing because it's also in Maybe this is just because it's more of my tone of movie. One of the best Wolfsmith performances ever. He's so good in that movie.
Speaker 1: He's so good. That's back when he he was batting a thousand and hitting like eighty nine home runs a year. He was just a sure thing. He was asking the seat sure thing. But they actually filmed the original book ending and then ended up going with the complete opposite. But anyways, Yeah, so Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger dies on January twenty second in New York City. He accidentally overdosed on a bunch of prescription medications, including sleeping pills, anti anxiety pills, and painkillers. It was in his apartment. He was with his massage therapists. And I've never really understood this, but the massage therapist knew that he was really good friends with Mary Kate Olsen or something, and then called her to help with the situation, like I need security to come right away. I think Heath Ledger is dead. I don't know how, Like she was involved in some way. Mary Kay Olson, which has always been bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very weird situation, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then so on obviously is that that's completely tragic and horrible. But he dies in January and it becomes the biggest news story in the world, and then the movie's still about to come out, and all these rumors spread, which were later completely disproven that he like went crazy, like Jared Letto is so jealous of he'th led You're dying because he tried so hard to like be this but never is. But he like the rumor was he went crazy playing the Joker and that he would you know, stay up all night and not sleep to try to drive himself insane in order to get in the head of the Joker, and he was mentally ill because of his preparation for the role and work in the movie, and that's why he was like taking all these meds and that's what actually killed him. All this is completely not true, Like his parents and friends and people that worked on The Dark Night all said like, no, this is all bullshit, but like it was part of the mythos of this movie, this movie, this role killed him because it was so crazy, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think also like it was similar I think with like the Paul Walker with Furious seven, where like people like, well, how are they going to handle this? Now?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'm glad you went there, because I was like, please explain how he fledgers. The Joker is similar to Paul Walker and Furious.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Brian had his moments where he went crazy. Let's be real, so they both also loved vehicles. But but no, I agree like that. It's interesting now because it's been a number of years, obviously since this movie came out, how many of the co stars of the movies have talked about him and been like that was just not even the tone on set. There was no like I'm being me fit, I'm always the joker. Michael Ji White has an amazing video on YouTube of him talking about that scene and how that whole experience was and how it was like very fun and loose and like he was very much like asking them at the table, do you guys think this works? Is just do you guys think he would like while he would do this stuff, he would be like, do you guys think this is okay? He was so nervous about doing it right or doing it well, especially because that pressure must be crazy. But like all you hear is people just like, you know, completely dismissing that rumor entirely. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Just watching random clips of William Freakin, who's a famous director. What has he done? Ryan Like dog Day Afternoon?
Speaker 2: No, not dog Day Exorcist? My god, Why am I missing this? French connection?
Speaker 1: Yeah, French connection, French connection. What do you do with Pacino? He did something with Pachinah Cruising, cruising, That's what it wasn't dog Day was cruising. It was the other movie about LGBTQ with the with Patino. But William Freakin is a fantastic interview, and he was talking about he just doesn't give a ship.
Speaker 2: He doesn't give a fuck, absolutely up.
Speaker 1: And he was talking there talking about like working with different actors, and he said, I did a movie with Tommi Lle Jones and Benicio del Toro. Tommi Lee Jones came in and he had done all this preparation in his head and wrote the story of his character's life in his head and didn't tell me about it because I don't care. And then I was like, okay, Tommy, you go over here and you say this, and you go over here and you say that, and he goes, got it, got it Bill, and we would shoot the scene and it was perfect, but he still del Toro would be like, what was my character's childhood like? And I would say, Benicio, I have no fucking idea, what is your character's child I was like, And he also Will Will don't freaking hates Paccino. He says, he's like not a good actor. He's completely unprepared, he's an asshole. Loves Tommy Lee Jones, though we'll talk about how great Tommily Jones is at every opportunity. But so, that's very interesting that Ledger was open to feedback from like Michael J. White during the filming of this movie.
Speaker 2: He's I mean a lot of them said like he understandably was super nervous, Like you're doing this is someone made this role iconic and it's already an iconic character. He was super nervous doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the only time in the history of film that Okay, so, like, one of the most iconic villains ever is Jack Nicholson's Joker. It was considered one of the most iconic film villains ever.
Speaker 2: Very coffee performance, yep.
Speaker 1: Unquestionably, Tommy Lee Jones who sucked and Batman forever like tried to copy it basically then so then so somebody's trying to live up to that. The hype for the movie is eleven out of ten before the hype before he Thledger dies, then he dies, So now the hype is twenty five out of ten. And you're going in and you're like, there is no way it would be impossible, impossible for this movie to live up to the hype, and it exceeded the hype. It's never happened before.
Speaker 2: It's it's such a rarity where because really and truly the smartest thing about the marketing of these movies is they sold you on the visuals and the you know, the vibes of it, but you never knew the story of it. You never knew the plot of it. You just knew it was like, Okay, it's Batman and the Joker, see you there see and it was just like and they just did a great job doing this stuff. Also, something else that we can mention too that is a very big thing with Batman movie specifically, is that the Joker poster of Joker going up to the translucent glass writing why so serious in Blood was one of the most cut out stolen posters from movie theaters public places ever. And it's funny because this happened with the nineteen eighty nine Batman where people stole that poster one also hilarious one Batman returns that Catwoman poster was stolen a lot. I think it's really funny. So different reason, I would say, a much different reason. Yeah, actually of the design. But it's a very interesting thing that like even the smallest marketing stuff had something like they were you can't plan for this type of hype. You can't. You just can't.
Speaker 1: No, No, you can't. And uh uh where was I going next?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I wanted to tell the story of when I first saw it. I was beyond I was so I was so nervous. I was like I had butterflies of excitement. I was anxious in an excited way. It's like if you were honestly, it's like if a beautiful, beautiful woman was like, hey, uh meet like wait here twenty minutes and I'll be back in twenty minutes. I'll we'll get a cocktail and then we can go up to my hotel room and have sex. Like that's how excited I was.
Speaker 2: Or you get the school joker poster, joker poster.
Speaker 1: Joker roster. So I remember I made my girlfriend at the time go and she wanted to see it, so but we got there so early. We got there hours early because the way that IMAX was was you just line up at the door and then his first come, first served for the seats. We were not We're not We're not the first. I don't like that. We were not the first people there. We were the second. We were the third and fourth people there. There was a couple before us, and I still remember the guy was like my age and he was wearing a green lantern T shirt. So I was like, oh okay, like he's hardcore too, and I just thought I couldn't I couldn't believe this is happening. Then we walked out of the theater and my girlfriend said, you were so excited to see it, Like what did you think? And I said, I don't know, And then she was like, what do you mean And I said, it's there's just a lot of emotions. I'm processing a lot. I don't know, like I need to I need to wait a day for this movie to soak in because I was just so it was just like I was in a blur. It was like my wedding day, but I was better. I do you remember you're experiencing this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we so imax. Like you said, you had to wait in line. So the midnight show is usually a huge crowd. So we got there at eight o'clock and waited four hours and then went in. And I think, when we get to the part, I'll talk about it, but like, again, we had a great crowd for this movie, like people were ready for this and they were excited for this. But the same thing with me. When I left the theater, I was like, and again, we'll get to a part of the movie where I felt this way. I was like, I don't know what to think of this because it was totally it's not even so much I could have met expectations or like it blew them out of the water. It was just like I didn't expect this, and this what I got was so goddamn good. I almost think like I was just like, you just know it's corny as it sounds like you like I just saw a classic. It just happened in front of my face. But I mean, I didn't think about that until I end up seeing this thing like five times in theaters because I was just like, is this real? I don't know how to describe it. I was like, is this really happening? Like it was just like you had to keep going. And that's obviously a lame way to put it, but like I saw it with so many different friends and being like and like you said, your girlfriend wanted to see it. Another interesting thing to talk about with this movie is how many people who do not like this stuff saw and like this movie. That's a huge aspect of this And I think, yeah, no, I'm saying, like that was just what it was. It was just such a event.
Speaker 1: This is the most successful marketing campaign ever and Heath Ledger died as a part of that. So it's kind of not fair, but yeah, and it was. And like Black Panther, Black Panther got nominated for Best Picture only because people were furious that the Oscars didn't nominate The Dark Knight for Best Picture. They like changed the guidelines of the Oscars because Dark and it was a nominated for Best Picture and people were so mad.
Speaker 2: It's actually a better flex in a weird way. We talked about this with the Oscar spot that you did not get young the awards, but you had such an effect that they had to change the rules because they realized how out of touch they were. That's fucking huge. Yeah, obviously he won himself, but sadly that's a whole Oscar horseshit thing. In terms of that I shouldn't say. We'll describe when we probably talk about it later.
Speaker 1: But do you think that he would have won if he was alive?
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. I think it would have gone like everything else in this movie. It would have gone unrecognized and it would have been like, how the fuck did he not win? How the fuck did he got anca moment? This is one of the best performances you've ever seen, Like, how the fuck did he not win? And I think again, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of loved the year where not being I love Chadwick Boseman, I have nothing against him, but I loved the year where Chadwick Boseman died and they were everyone was so positive he was gonna win the Oscar because he was dead and like, I think his family was there and people were so excited that he was finally gonna win, and then he lost. Yeah, when they read it, I was like, good, I'm glad, Like the oscars are not fixed, they're a real thing.
Speaker 2: And also the thing with that too is that like they put him in i think in Best Actor where his character was a supporting role, and I was like, that would have secured the win more. But also like again, sometimes not winning is better, right, I mean, unfortunately that real situation is awful, but like similar here, Like I just think because that it's such a conundrum whatever you want to call that thing, the Academy, they did it, I think because obviously he was nominated before. He was in a tough year that year because phili Seymour Hoffman won for Capoti, so like there was no chance of getting around that, and his performance even after broke Back came out, was like so revered as like wow, he did this so well. And I think something to think about too is that Nolan and interview has always said like his performance or his choices as an actor is what got him the role, and he was because he's like I think he's a fearless person. Because as we talked about with broke Back, so many other bigger actors turned that down and it would have been an amazing part for them too, but turned it down because of what his content was probably but and how they think people would view that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, Philip sumer Hoffen is a god and he's probably a better actor than he's Ledger. Even though we're like splitting hairs here. It's like, you know, we're talking about you know, Mickey Mannel and Joe DiMaggio. But Capoti is that's such a dumb role to win the Oscar because it's just like he's doing a biopic, he's doing a voice.
Speaker 2: So it's the perfect role to win an Oscar.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, like everybody knows who it is. But in my opinion, Ennis is a much harder role to pull off in a much more impress of performance than Caponti.
Speaker 2: Like, I know this is insane, but I think of like the happen stance of the world. So that's in two thousand and eight. The next year, Christoph Waltz wins for Inglorious Bastard's Bastards for being another charismatic, incredibly watchable steal the show of villain in a movie. Yeah, I just think the relay is right there. I'm not saying taking anything away. I know he's listening. Sorry, Christoph, I don't mean to be that insulting that way, but I think truly it lays the groundwork for a lot of stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think seeing tarn Killem's portrayal of Christoph Waltz in Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL, I was kind of like, oh, yeah, that kind of not knocks him down a couple of pegs for me.
Speaker 2: He's always like that, just a weird, funky guy. Yeah. And also winning twice was interesting too, let's.
Speaker 1: Me deliver the line like this.
Speaker 2: Done? Another thing I think is interesting, especially because diretrospect is this is also May of this year, iron Man is released, and I talked about it on the last episode about how like this is a real kind of like shifts passing kind of thing where this is kind of how super hero movies were done with like X Men, spider Man, Batman. You had a director do them, and then they are kind of more movies and comics, and then the MCU becomes why don't we do what comics do? And I think something to think about. I always kind of like marinated on and I wondered if this was a thing drummer when they announced that Robert Downey Jr. Was playing Iron Man because he at the time he was not the obvious pick and people.
Speaker 1: Will everybody, well not everybody. That seemed to me like, if you know Robert Downey Jr. He's an amazing, amazing charismatic actor, who's good looking, who had drug problems, so like, if he's sober, then that's a perfect choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it was phenomenal casting. But I remember the time people being like, not the pick, but good pick because at the time of superhero movies, again in this it was younger kids or younger people playing the superheroes. It wasn't really established middle aged men or they became middle aged men as they filmed them, or new people like Hugh Jackman was new for X Men something. Yeah, it was just very it was very new. So he was like, oh, here's this guy who's had a history that we're all aware of. That kind of helps this movie. And I think, especially with that movie, is dependent on his performance being that good, which it is. He's great in that movie and that movie comes as massive hit. It is interesting how you feel like that is starting something new and then like the nol and Batman begins as kind of like the quote unquote older way of doing it, and then you have this come out which just does something completely different. I think it's such an interesting way to think about it retrospectively. I don't know why. I think it's just yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like with X Men and certain superhero movies, especially in the day, it was like the most valuable position in sports as a quarterback on a rookie contract, because you have the most impactful, best player on the team, and if the quarterback is actually really good and you're paying them nothing because they're on a rookie contract. So it's like building a basketball team where you know you're paying Halle Berry. She's a veteran that's coming in and is gonna be really solid, but she can't carry the whole movie. So then you find and you sign an amazing shooting guard rookie that nobody's ever heard of for nothing, and it's Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.
Speaker 2: You know, like that's coming in last minute too. As another famous story about casting Gray.
Speaker 1: Scott man, I feel bad for that guy every time I see him or think of him. Do Gray Scott and he blamed Tom Cruise like overtly do. Gray Scott was cast as Wolverine, and the shooting on Mission Impossible Too went long and Tom tom Cruise said, no, you can't, you can't go do X men. You have to finish Mission Impossible too, and do Gray Scott lost out on Wolverine.
Speaker 2: That is rough And also like how like I guess it was very close to filming too. It's like Hugh Jackman was so last minute and it's just like, how.
Speaker 1: I'm not judging because he's in better shape than me, but he's not in good shape. And next man one like him with no shirt on looks like a really in shape dad. That's what he looks like with no shirt on in one, and then by the time like three rolls around, he looks like a Greek god with no shirt on. Because that's when all the actors started doing steroids. No, but it's chicken and broccolian rice, that's what they all. That's what fucking what's his name, Chris Hemsworth, chicken, broccoli rice, he doesn't do he doesn't do TRT or steroids or any of that.
Speaker 2: Wow, damn, But I just thought there was something worth talking about because I think about that a lot now, where like it was two castings where one was met on my own accord, like I said earlier, with criticism, and the other ones like yeah this is great, and both have become like defining performances in two different worlds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, you're You're totally right. I I would like to get into the film unless you had more build up to talk about.
Speaker 2: I had no other build up here, unless we missed anything else. I think, Oh, well, actually we I mean, actually, now we'll get to it. I keep saying that phrase. Jesus, I gotta stop. But we'll talk about when we get to the characters. I think as we go through, we we'll bring up stuff that like happened wow, you know.
Speaker 1: Before we get into the movie itself. The movie begins. The first thing you hear is my favorite score, my personal bias favorite score of all time. By the way, did you see, Mike? Can you see my shirt?
Speaker 2: I can see the top of it here.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me is that better?
Speaker 2: Take it off? Okay?
Speaker 1: No, my mind.
Speaker 2: The whole shirt is the Heath Ledger Joker face.
Speaker 1: Yes, my entire t shirt is just Heath Ledger Joker's face. I don't wear it because it's a little small. It's not terribly small, but it's a little small for me. I remember I wore this on Joe's bachelor party and there were two people on Joe's bachelor party that I would describe as like meatthead bullies, just kind of like the worst people ever, and one of them, in particular, I hated, and he made fun of me for wearing this shirt. And I was like, first of all, we're adults, we're not in high school, so like, I don't care if you make fun of me, but you're really making fun of someone's shirt, and he was like, he genuinely asked me. I was like, I just think it's one of the best movie roles ever and one of my favorite fictional characters ever. And he legitimately like laughed and said, well, why do you care about stuff like that? And I just thought you are a pathetic loser and I'm not going to waste time explaining this to you, but anyway, so we'll go ahead.
Speaker 2: Hey, buddy, you ever heard of not one, but two disc DVDs? You ever heard of those? You know what those are, you know what they're in, you know what they have inside them.
Speaker 1: Oh do you know that Ryan has a vinyl score of Lord of the Rings but no record player? Did you know that? But anyways, Uh, the first moment of this movie is my personal biased favorite score of all time, which is Hans Zimmer's score for The Joker. That's how the movie begins. It's just this long, drawn out violin sound. I think I don't even know how to describe it. It's just.
Speaker 2: Name. On the many interviews Han Zimmer is done about this movie, he was like, how how do I? How do I? He's like, because he has to see the movie while they're making it and doing whatever, and he's like, and he another credit to Heath Ledger. He was like, when you watch this stuff without music, you were like, Oh, this is fucking unbelievable. And he's like, how do I? He goes, maybe you shouldn't score this guy? Interesting? Sorry about this score too? Is Christopher Nolan said his original plan was to not do new music. He was just going to use what they did for Batman begins and just put it in this movie. And he was just going to kind of like reorient it and use stuff they didn't use. But he's like, I don't think we need a new score. So Hansimers like okay, and he's like, let's do it. So then they put it on and then Christopher Nolan's like, yeah, this doesn't work. You can't do it this way. And he's like, it's a whole new vibe, it's a whole new visual. You have to do a new sound. I think one of the greatest compliments that the Joker theme has ever gotten is Matthew Vaughan, who directed kick Ass X Men First Class Starred Us. He was talking about how he had five different composers do the music for kick Ass and it was like getting the right sound, getting the right people, and he was trying to find a theme for the villain and he was like he said, we're doing it, and he's like, oh, you know, we need to do this, we need to do this, and he was like working with all these people trying to figure it out, and he says, you know what pisses he says is in this interviews, like you know what does piss me off, though, is that the Joker theme is one note and it's the most famous villain theme of the past like twenty years. It's just someone pulling one string for a long period of time and he goes and it's huge. It's so successful. Yeah, so you're saying, I.
Speaker 1: Will say that The Suicide Squad is a terrible movie. But one of the things they did for like a joker theme for that movie is a band called Confidential MX and sing The singer is Becky Hanson. So it's Confidential MX featuring Becky Hanson. They did a cover of the Bej's Beg's song I started a joke, so go listen to that song Confidential MS featuring Becky Hanson. I started a joke which is a Beach's cover and it is amazing. It's a sounds nothing like the original song.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, but anyways, also speaking of great trailers, uh, the trailer of that movie is tremendous with that one of the.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest trailers of all time. That I used to this, you know, years and years ago, I used to argue with Paul about trailers and you because you'd be like you and Paul be like, oh my god, dam did you see the trailer for blah blah blah. I would say trailers are irrelevant Suicide Squad. Trailers are completely relevant. Suicide Squad because Suicide Squad had an A plus trailer and was an F minus movie.
Speaker 2: Trailers are the I think there's their total own work of art, and it is like I actually like I have a playlist on what YouTube of just like trailers that I'm like, man, remember I remember just the feels this would give you watching this, or like even just like this is such a good trailer for this movie. They really are their own form. It's interesting, totally, totally, just sad. But they just ruined too much.
Speaker 1: It now them CU trailers were awful. It would just be like, here's the Spider Man movie in five minutes. That's what the trailer would.
Speaker 2: Be, dude, you know, you know, actually I think the worst ones is Fast and Furious literally F nine the entire movies and the trailers four and a half minutes. It's the entire movie.
Speaker 1: But who cares, Like nobody cares about spoilers.
Speaker 2: I care.
Speaker 1: But so the movie starts at the Joker score and also, as Ryan mentioned, this was an imax. This opening scene one of the great opening scenes of all time. It just shows glass shatters out of a window and there are five goons in clown masks. Five criminals and clown masks, and they're like repelling several stories up between buildings. They're clearly performing some sort of bank heist. So I'm already starting with Pobody's nerve fit corner. This is the closest to perfect as you can get for me this entire movie. But I really don't like the voice acting for the clown goons. They don't they don't have they don't have actors portraying them, like because everybody's wearing a mask, so they just dub the voices over the physical people. And it's just two video game me like in the in the Back in the Batman Arkham Asylum universe video games, which are incredible. They're just always like chatter in the background where goons are talking to each other, and the voice acting is like over the top cartoonish, and they just sound like goons in a video game, And I just thought, I just want there to be a little more nuanced here. So I don't like the voice acting.
Speaker 2: But people, he thinks that you can sit back and still take a slice. I know why they call it the Joker.
Speaker 1: That's exactly that's exactly right. Ryan.
Speaker 2: Also, these masks are amazing I'm always curious. I'm sure you've seen the meme that came out of the footage from the nineteen sixty six Batman show of the Joker wearing this same clown mask that the Joker wears here, have you seen that?
Speaker 1: That's wonder hell.
Speaker 2: That's real. That's that's from the first episode of the Batman TV show apparently, And I'm like, always so curious how intentional that was. It had to be based on the design, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Here's it. And Batman begins too with the piano. Yeah yeah, but uh yeah, So there's five goons and they said five guys, five shares, and then that somebody chimes in, you mean six shares because of the Joker and exactly what Ryan said. He thinks he can sit out and to still take a slice and know why they call him the Joker. And one of the goons says, I heard he wears makeup to scare people. If you really like, listen to this movie and watch it again. It's a great moment. So when a bank has robbed, you press the emergency button and the cops come. Like if you're a teller, you press the button under the counter. The cops come. So one of the clown goons is intercepting the call to stop it, and he goes, that's weird. They didn't call the cops. They didn't call Nuebune one. It went to a private number. And that's the first indication that this is not a normal bank. Yeah, so he and then he so that guy who says, oh, that's funny, didn't go to nine one one, All right, I'm all at here. What happens When he says I'm all set, basically, I've completed my job. What happens?
Speaker 2: He is shot?
Speaker 1: He is shot and killed by another goon. So now there's only four clowns left, less shares, and thank god we are now shown the Wait he was the Shredder? Was he the Shredder in two? No? He wasn't the Shredder into Out of the Shadows but William William Fickner, Yes, who did he play in Out of the Shadows?
Speaker 2: He is? I think he was going to be Shredder and ended up not being. But he was some like business guy. But I thought he's in the first one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's in the first one too. Who gives a fuck about those movies? But William Fickner is a character actor. You would recognize him one hundred percent if you've googled him. He's been in a billion things. He's the bank manager.
Speaker 2: Eric Sachs, CEO of Sacks Industry with dark ties to the foot clan.
Speaker 1: I'm just legitimately gonna edit that out because no one cares. And the one of the goons hold hands of bank hostage a grenade and pulls the pin, meaning like if you move, if you try to run away, if you drop this for everybody does. The bank manager, William Fickner pulls out a shotgun shoots one of the clown goons in the back. So now there's only three guys left, and he says, do you have any idea who you're stealing from? You and your friends are dead. It's a great line. I love the way he delivers that line. And then there's a guy who's trying to get into the vault itself and he gets electrocuted, and he says, what kind of bank wires the vault to electrocute you? And one of the clown goons says a mob bank, yep so, and then when he opens the vault, he says, where's the alarm guy. Oh, I took him out with the boss set it'd be one last year. And then one of them says, funny, he told me the same thing about you kills him. Now there's only two clowns left, so basically, so basically they they how do they subdue William Fickner. I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: So when he he shoots the gun, he stops shooting. Joker clown runs up to like the second or third table in the middle of the room. He he's with the main clown who we've been following the whole time, and he's like he's out right because they think he shot all the good bullets out of the gun, and he like, I love this delay. I think it's so funny where he just like looks and freezes and just goes yeah, like nods his head like yeah, he's out. So that guy stands up, Thickner shoots him in the arm. Then he's actually out of bullets. So then the Joker stands up and shoots him and takes him down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you mean the clown goons because the Jokers.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert everybody for the two thousand and eight movie that everyone in America saw yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Also just like out of the rafters, your impressions, your random mass impressions that are so good. It's like when John Hamm hosted SNL and he said, they were like, what impression can you do that's really good? And he said, oh, I can do and then he named like some nineteen thirties actor. Do you remember what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: I do. I figure what the persson was though.
Speaker 1: Yet who what his name was? And then they were like okay, done, and Bill Hayter said it was like one of his favorite things that John Hamm has ever done. But your impression of the clown goon that I think is a bad voice actor is literally like perfect. Sounds exactly like that.
Speaker 2: This is. I know, I'm very bad with memory on this podcast with like remembering things. I have watched this scene so many times on YouTube on video. I think this is like the best opening to a movie ever made. I've watched it a thousand times. I love that. I love this movie. And it's always the stupid lines that I stuck in my head. It's never the good ones, like I said, with like Gordon and stuff like that. It's always the dumb shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's there's two clown goons left, and one clown goon points a gun at the other and says, I bet the Joker told you to kill me when I loaded the cash, and the other clown goon who has the gunpoint on Adam, says, no, no, I kill the bus driver. And then the guy's like, wait what bus driver? And uh a school bus reverses into the bank and kills the remaining goon. So now there's one goon left. But a new goon comes out of the bus and it's like, all right, let's load, let's load the cash.
Speaker 2: So explain this his line, he's not getting up. Unreal, unreal. So he comes out and they're throwing the bags on the bus and he's like, he says, what does he say? What happened to the whatever guy? Right? What happened?
Speaker 1: What happened to the other guys?
Speaker 2: The other guys? And then other clown goon coldly just like slightly looks back and just shoots him and kills him.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that moment I wrote down. He he doesn't even look at him. He has no value in human life. The Joker, because spoiler Ryan ruined it for everyone. It is the Joker, and he even his own and this movie he has no regard for any human life, including his own, which is the polar opposite of Batman. The Joker is the Batman is about order. The Joker is about chaos. Batman is muscular, the Joker is not. Batman is about hand in hand combat. The Joker is about guns and knives, you know. Batman is about protecting human life. The Joker sees no value in human life. It's it's just it's it's wonderful. So the bank manager, William Fickner said, criminals in this town used to believe in something, honor, respect, What do you believe in? And then Ryan, do you want to say it or do you want me to say it?
Speaker 2: You could say, go for it.
Speaker 1: I believe, And he's still wearing a mask. I believe whatever doesn't kill you. And he takes off his mask and you can see it's the Joker, and he looks horrifying, simply makes you stranger. And it's it's so different than the comics because I love like this version of the Joker. He because he would now have no regard for his appearance or his hygiene. He looks dirty, his teeth are gross. His hair is greasy, the makeup's not even put on well, it's all like smeared and smudge. He looks fucking terrifying.
Speaker 2: And from my understanding, has massively influenced the design of the character and the comics from that point forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And the the Joker puts a grenade in William Fickner's mouth and the grenade is tied to his belt, his own, So not only is that great, So he gets on the bus and drives away, which pulls the pin on the grenade. That's hilarious. But then also it's just so amazing that they just nailed this character like they did. I don't think they completely nailed Batman in this franchise, but they completely nailed the Joker. It's a gag grenade. It's not even a real grenade.
Speaker 2: That hit when he exhales William Fickner when he's like, my head was about to blow up, and it doesn't, and it's just like it's perfect.
Speaker 1: And the Joker, the Joker is now on the school bus. The school bus is exiting the bank at the exact moment of school drop off in Gotham City, so there's a line of like one hundred school buses and the bank school bus just gets in the line and he's just able to inconspicuously just disappear.
Speaker 2: Which yall bus was it? It's the one with all the debris on it. I think.
Speaker 1: Also, not again, Pobody's nervefect. I don't want to nitpick this movie. Reversing through the front doors of a bank didn't do damage to the back of the school bus in any way. There's not a scratch on the school bus.
Speaker 2: Love it. I also it's so funny now to see it, because like I always forget about the school buses lined up at the end of it, so I always I'm like, oh, yeah, that's right. Hello, this whole thing is about timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that my friends, I think, honestly, we should go to a part two. Sure, just what a fantastic opening episode, just the build up, this opening scene, which is incredible, and now we're going to a part two where we're really going to start the movie and we'll see how many So we have I have thirteen pages of notes, but the notes are only on the movie itself. We are on page basically. We just finished page one and this movie. It took me four hours to watch this movie. The movie's like two and a half hours took me forward to watch it. I did it over four days. I did an hour a day because I kept having a deposit and rewind and I wrote down dialogue and I took poke, copious notes. So this is, you know, like the I don't get paid to do this, unfortunately, so I don't really give it my whole ass. When I like watch a movie and take notes, and this this movie more than any movie. I was like, I have to give this my whole.
Speaker 2: Ass, but it's yeah, you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So all right, well we will see you next time, and I want to. I think four parts is good, so this can be as long as the hook pod. We'll see, we'll see. That's why we started early. So thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you