Speaker 1: Thank you John.
Speaker 2: It is eight oh five here Kentucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas Good morning Kentucky, Anda, happy Juneteenth. I know a lot of folks are celebrating today and probably have the day off, so enjoy.
Speaker 1: Had a wet.
Speaker 2: Start to the day, but it looks as if things are clearing up, cloudy skies, and again it's a day off for.
Speaker 1: A lot of people, So if so enjoy.
Speaker 2: We will talk to Rory O'Neil coming up at about eight thirty. And obviously, like many of us across the world, not just this country, we are waiting to see exactly what it is that Donald Trump plans to do when it comes to the situation in Iran. He knows that nobody knows for sure what he's going to do, because he said those exact things yesterday quote, nobody knows what I'm going to do, as he smirked. So that's got a lot of people on the edge of their seats, and clearly he enjoys that. It is worth mentioning that there are no plans for any type of long term war. So thankfully there's no plan to have any type of a World War three situation on our hands. Obviously, things can certainly change, and he did mention that yesterday. So as far as the peace talk with Iran, Trump says that they want to have a conversation at the White House, they want a nuclear deal, and he's at least seemingly make it appear that it's too late for that. They missed the window to make that happen. At least that's sort of the vibe that's out there right now. So if in fact they do get to the point where they're going to take action and bomb Iran, the Wall Street Journal says that Trump has approved the plans to do that, it's just he hasn't given the full green light. He's waiting for Iran to basically ditch its nukes or face Israel's ongoing bombings and unconditional surrenders is what he's demanding, and that's what he's been pretty clear about. Will that actually happen on the other side, we shall see, but it's certainly something we're monitoring.
Speaker 1: Will keep you updated as best we can.
Speaker 2: Again, Rory O'Neil, NBC News can join us coming up at eight thirty. So we did let you guys know at the beginning of the show today. In fact, we've let you know a few times throughout because it's it's our duty to let people know that there's been a lottery winner here in the area. And I'm just saying, wouldn't be a crazy thing that maybe if I'm the one who let you know, oh yeah, I did purchase I did purchase a lottery ticket at the Kroger on the Grange Road. If I'm the one that let you know and then you realize that you bought the winning the winning ticket, then I think that means I'm entitled to at least something, right. I mean, I'm joking, but like, if you did want if you are the winner and you did, you did realize that you have a lot more money that you that you didn't used to have until you won, and you want to throw some of my way, I'll take it. But at the Kroger on the Grange Road, somebody won a Lucky for Life ticket that's worth twenty five thousand dollars a year, or you can take the lump sum, which is three hundred and ninety thousand dollars. So we had a we had one of our listeners used the talkback feature on the out radio app to kind of give us a little more clarity on what you really get if you take the annual payments as far as what you're guaranteed to get and also the lump sum. I think I've got the correct one cued up here, and we shall see. I'm gonna give it a shot. If not, it's a quick fix here.
Speaker 3: I'm a trump drowd.
Speaker 1: That's the wrong one. But we'll play that in just a second. Let's see here, here we go.
Speaker 4: The twenty five for life Kentucky Lottery pays you three hundred and ninety thousand lumps up front, or you can get twenty five thousand until you die annually, but they are guaranteeing you a minimum of twenty years of payments to get you more comfortable with taking the annuity option. But you get twenty five thousand for life, but a minimum guaranteed of at least twenty years.
Speaker 2: So again you get the minimum guaranteed of twenty years. So I still think with this amount of money, the twenty five k for a minimum twenty years or the lump sum up three ninety, I'm still taking three ninety. But again, everybody's got their own Like there's some people I'm sure that hear this and think, oh, I've learned over my many years on earth that if I get if I get three hundred and ninety thousand dollars, I don't trust myself that I will be able to use that wisely. I'll start spending money that I probably shouldn't be spending. And honestly, you really don't know until you're in that position, right. I mean, I'm sure there's many that have never had that amount of money just come to them out of nowhere. And I guess it depends more so on I feel like three hundred and ninety thousand dollars just a one time payment. I guess it depends on your age, depends on plans that you already have in place for retirement.
Speaker 1: I guess you're four oh one k. But that would probably be enough money.
Speaker 2: For a lot of folks to just go ahead and say, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and retire now early or maybe retire really early.
Speaker 1: Although if you get.
Speaker 2: The twenty five this is what first thing that came to mind for me, cause twenty five thousand dollar year is not a substantial amount of money as far as you're an annual salary. But if you are somebody that works a job that you are really stressed about every day, but it's it's a good paying job, and certainly your your lifestyle has become very consistent with that type of money that you get. Well, maybe the twenty five k a year can put you in a spot to where you take a job with less stress, clearly less responsibility therefore less money. But it all works out because of the twenty five k that you get annually. So again, if you are the winner, just remember you if you're finding out that you won because of me, I mean, doesn't that mean I deserve something?
Speaker 1: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Please, I don't know, don't make me beg Anyways, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way right here, right now. We've got an update of sports coming up in about fifteen minutes. And again, Rory O'Neil NBC News is going to join us at eight thirty, so don't go anywhere, stick with us. Right here, it's Kentucky, and it is Morning News on News Radio eight to forty, Whas it is eight seventeen here at Kentucky and is Morning News news Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you. We've got the full squad here. John Alden of course running the operation. Scott will be in for another sports update coming up in about eight minutes, and of course John Shannon has your news his next news date, next news update coming up at eight thirty. So something we've been discussing here and there since last Friday was the scary accident that took place on just near the Kennedy Bridge that led to that eighteen wheeler engulfed in flames. Just a real, real scary situation, and that of course was one that'll get way more attention given just the visual and just the crazy story that this driver, Jeffrey Walker, despite having some injuries when it comes to a broken leg, broken ankle, and that's going to take a while to recover. But the fact that he's you know, he's he's okay in the grand scheme of things, is really a miracle when.
Speaker 1: You just think of what you saw.
Speaker 2: So that's the fourth semi crash in the area since May and Mayor Greenberg is taking action and looking into ways to prevent these accidents, and of course the cause of this specific accident is still unknown. Investigators are looking at camera footage to pinpoint the cause and could be wet roads, could be speeding, and we'll have to just wait and see. Clearly, they're going to try to figure out why this keeps happening. And look, they may not find out any real specific root cause that they can eliminate, but of course it's something that you got to look into as best you can because of how dangerous it is. But we had another truck driver using our talkback feature on the iHeartRadio app share his thoughts on the many accidents that we're having here in really very similar spots or sometimes the same spot.
Speaker 1: And it's eighteen wheelers.
Speaker 3: I'm a truck driver in the city of Louisville and I've been across that sixty five bridge many, many, many times, and I believe the main problem there is not the surface, it's signage and speed of the trucks. And Nick, I think you're doing a great job.
Speaker 4: You really are.
Speaker 2: Keep it up, bro, Thank you, dad, appreciate it. Now that's not really my dad, but I do thank you for saying that.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And you know that's somebody who is in the area from Louisville that says that he's he's driving that in that stretch.
Speaker 1: He either he is currently or he does he used to at some point.
Speaker 2: So that's somebody with direct knowledge of of of driving an eighteen wheeler in the area where these accidents happen, and speed certainly a factor. I wouldn't I wouldn't think anybody would be surprised by that, But maybe there could be some signage, maybe some more warnings ahead that you're gonna need to reduce the speed, and if you keep having accidents like this, you're just gonna know, Hey, I'm going through an area with a with a semi truck that others have not been able to get through without a pretty serious accident.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure they'll do as best they.
Speaker 2: Can to figure out why this is happening and do whatever is possible to prevent it if possible.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got another update of sports coming your way. Also, Rory O'Neill going to join us at eight thirty.
Speaker 2: But now let's get a check on the weather and traffic on Who's Radio eight forty whas it's our final segment here this morning on Kentucky and it's Morning News. Tony and Dwight are coming your way here shortly. We've talked a lot about the baseball season coming to an end this morning, Tony. But what does it do for somebody who covered sports for so long around here? When you see that the University of Louisville, because of a financial shortfall, is having to take out a line of credit from P and C Bank of twenty five million just to get the bills paid, it's certainly the sign of the times. But also that's just I mean, we're not that far removed from where it seemed like UFL couldn't run out of money.
Speaker 5: This is where when you pay and I don't know what, look, Tom overpaid people a good people to come here. A lot of those right, A lot of those salaries it kept, you know, through the last ten years or nine years he's been gone. Sometimes you've got to ask, is the and no offense to the softball field hockey coach, No offense to you. But I'm just saying, for sports that aren't bringing any money in, do you pay those people four hundred thousand dollars when you know someone's going to do it for one twenty five?
Speaker 6: You know, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I have to know that too. That's all right, say I mean, you.
Speaker 5: Know how mean a coaches'd be like to coach college into ACC I'll do it for one twenty five. You know, you got to start making those decisions because you shouldn't be able. You shouldn't be in debt. When you're making one hundred and eighty million dollars in revenue in the athletic department. That is an insane amount of money. I said that to somebody the other day and they looked at me and said, you mean per year, and I was like, yes, they generate one hundred and eighty million dollars a year and they still can't make their bills.
Speaker 6: That's a problem.
Speaker 5: If they start passing this on to the regular students, I'll lose my mind.
Speaker 6: There's I'll lose my mind.
Speaker 2: Wichita State again example, because they're they're they have some basketball presents, but obviously they don't bring in the annual revenue from the American Conference like you do in the Big ten SEC and whatnot. They have increased tuition, letting people know it is because we have to pay players now, and.
Speaker 6: You gotta hide that information. You got to hide that information.
Speaker 5: A lot of him tell him it's for something else. It's you know, it's the fleecing of America. A four year degree. My daughter is at Cincinnati, it's gonna end up coll siness about one point fifteen. There's no reason a four year classical studies degree from u SEE should be one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it's me getting older and becoming I guess a grown up. But you can't convince me in any way that the return on investment is really there, because, yes, you could utilize your degree to potentially put yourself in a position where you have a good paying job, or you could do something else without a degree and probably be in a similar situation financially. I guess it all depends on what you do. But I mean it is uh.
Speaker 6: And again, I will encourage any hes pro.
Speaker 1: Sports in college athletics, now right, that's what this is.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I would encourage anybody to take my son's route, which was he did a paper on student loan debt when he was a sophomore in high school and it scared him so bad. You know, he wants to serve, that's the first thing. But he paid for half his school by committing to the Navy, and he'll do five years in the Navy, which he loves already.
Speaker 6: But do take that route. It's a cheat code for life.
Speaker 5: Let them pay for your college, serve for five years at least, and you have some supplemental insurance for less of your life, and you know what else, you get the benefit of the doubt for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: Well said, Well said.
Speaker 2: And I think it just reminds me of something I was talking about with John earlier whenever I was in high school at that time. And I believe this was the case. This was just the temperature with education in our country around this time. That we weren't brainwashed, but there was consistently throughout my entire time in high school, there was the notion if you didn't go to a four year institution, it was going to be a really tough life for you, and that things were just going to be things were just going to be really hard. And the big you know, the face that teachers would make when you would tell them you didn't have plans for a four year degree.
Speaker 1: Oh, they were so sad for your year.
Speaker 2: And yet now in the Bulla County public school system, where there's a whole department that didn't exist then that does now. That is just going to schools in middle school and high school. That is letting that letting them know of all the resources they have after high school to go get a trade job, to get an apprenticeship somewhere. And when you look at getting a good paying job learning how to do something that certainly there's value there and you don't have an insane amount of debt yet that just can cripple.
Speaker 6: Youah, or just get a simple four year degree. You don't have to because here's the thing.
Speaker 5: They'll ask that the studies have been done, how much people retain from their four years in college. Every year that you go out from graduation day, it goes down in percentage, and it's a large percent. Just twelve months later, how much they retained from what they learned in college, it's like twenty percent, and then it goes down from there. So you're five ten years out, you don't remember anything that you took. Oh, I took eight years of Spanish, yes speak Spanish.
Speaker 2: I can't things that I think should have always been rather obvious. You now hear people saying aloud, which is your four year degree is a sign of you working hard being educated, and it is. It is an accomplishment. I applaud anybody who goes and finishes college and gets a degree, but man, there cannot be many that are using on a day to day basis something that they specifically took away from the curriculum in college.
Speaker 5: And the other thing with universities, most of the costs now is the living expenses because they don't own those. That's been the biggest fleecing thing is those condos they build on campus, like at u of L.
Speaker 6: They don't own those.
Speaker 5: They have a contract with that company, right and I'm sure they make they get a cut of it, but that company is fleecing Americans.
Speaker 6: Their rent.
Speaker 5: Their rent per month and they're sharing a space with everybody is more than most people's mortgages, And you're like, how does this make sense?
Speaker 2: I think at least some are realizing that that you clearly can can not you could, you can, You have options when it comes to which you want to do post high school. But man, I swear I think it's just the fear for so many years is certainly in my childhood of.
Speaker 1: Okay, whatever it is we got to take out, will do it.
Speaker 2: Because Hubby, room and board, meal plan, whatever we got to do, we'll do it because the thought of my kid not going to a college, you know, means the life is over.
Speaker 5: And there's companies like Target and others that will pay for your school if you'd go to UPS, if you go to work for them, they'll help you pay for it.
Speaker 2: Hello, take advantage. Tony and Wide are up next. It's hock to you tomorrow.