Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, welcome back to our community connection. It's the city of Dewey and we have got our good friend miss Laurie here with us today. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: How the heck are you, Sarah?
Speaker 1: I'm doing pretty good. I survived to duck races. How about you?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Nobody drowned.
Speaker 2: Nobody drowned. Nobody drowned. We had life for servers and boats and everything like guards.
Speaker 1: It was cool. Dewey is a great place. And I tell you what do you guys have really knocked it out of the park there with the fourth of July and all the volunteers out there. Beautiful Don Tyner Park, very well maintained, very well medicured.
Speaker 2: Didn't it look well?
Speaker 1: Oh? I tell us what's going on in Dewey.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the first thing I was talking about was the past things. The Dewey Doctor that was awesome. We had the winners. That was always fun to watch. So we'll slowly creep on down on the creek.
Speaker 2: But I mean, who else does that? So that's a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 3: I hope that we continue to bring, you know, more and more people bring back, you know, the fun of the fireworks, and we.
Speaker 2: Ride food there. We have the f f A and True do so next time it'll beat.
Speaker 1: And Garrett Brown put on a great show.
Speaker 2: They were they were pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: That was a nice, a nice choice to continue to have them as a band.
Speaker 1: You know that is probably the most talented unsigned band outside of Nashville.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, what are you going to get up there?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Whenever we asked me you could walk around just the guitar.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll bring the whole band.
Speaker 2: Get I'll get the in the duck suit, I'll get.
Speaker 1: The suns going again, and we'll perform in duck suits.
Speaker 2: There you go. I gotta have to make sure you have the feet and all. Okay, what else? Oh weah, the big Bang five k ten k race.
Speaker 3: That was started off of the morning and so that was really fun. We had Jimmy Eperson in the FFA of course take care of all that. We had the I cannot remember what they a couple of drinks stand there and the course Simple Simon's provided pizza and so that was pretty fun to see people dressed up.
Speaker 2: And that's a hard race. This is the humid state, man.
Speaker 3: I mean, running is a fine art and I appreciate those who can do it.
Speaker 1: I get worn out watching them.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I got a lot of pictures of the finish line, you know for sure.
Speaker 3: Other than that, we had the Tyler Memorial Library, she had her summer reading program.
Speaker 2: It was wrapped up at the end. Something I got to hang out and help out with.
Speaker 1: I saw a picture, you were.
Speaker 3: I have some more of course, to just let it lay down low for a little bit. Let the Doug races and the fourth of July, I foot went out. But yes, it was so fun to hang out with the kids. And this has been my third year and watching them just grow up, seeing kids coming in. So hopefully your program will even get, you know, bigger. But it's hard, it's summertime, kids are out of town. But it's a great program. Next year it'll be dinosaurs, so.
Speaker 2: Focused on art and you know, all kinds of artists.
Speaker 3: Chaos was our favorite thing to say to him, you know, do anything you need whatever mind, you know.
Speaker 2: Whatever comes to mind at the moment, just like music.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, okay, But other than that, I was but that was pretty much the past stuff that we have.
Speaker 2: But we do have.
Speaker 3: This Saturday is going to be the second Saturday there you go. So we'll have a lot of sales going on all around town, not just down downtown, so focus on that. Come on in this Saturday and see what you can find.
Speaker 2: We also have the Dewey Boots and Badges this Thursday.
Speaker 1: What's that all?
Speaker 3: That is the OBI Blood Drive Oklahoma Blood Institute of Blood Drive between the firemen.
Speaker 2: And the police officers of course.
Speaker 3: So it'll be held tomorrows which is from twelve to six pm Dewey Public Schools Student Center. Walkins are welcome or you can still call contact the OBI dot org and make an appointment.
Speaker 2: But that's going to be pretty cool. You're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I'm oh negative, everybody wants me.
Speaker 3: That's universal donor go figure be positive here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just have to make sure that my iron is good.
Speaker 1: Now what do you do? Do you declare before they get you ready to donate? Did they ask you which show which side your route? Yes?
Speaker 2: I think so, and then they'll see who wins and but you do.
Speaker 3: But for the blood donate though, you did get a choice of Frontier or the Frontier City or the water park next door is Toolky But yeah, and then and then we'll see what the who wins in the end, but it's a good fun time.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: We always zonning blood sirt here you go.
Speaker 1: I tell you I'm a popular guy when I walk in the county here.
Speaker 3: My mom is the same way. She's she's been donating since she was eighteen. Yeah, so that's been a while. Yeah, I mean to where she gets Dion Celine Dion tickets.
Speaker 2: So anyways, so we have her future.
Speaker 3: We have the Oldies and Goodies car show that's coming up. I mean it's September, but that's still September twentieth. But the main thing, you know, what's going to happen the eighteenth annual Kansas Oklahoma Highway sell.
Speaker 1: That's huge.
Speaker 2: That's huge, one.
Speaker 3: Hundred miles sale down seventy five that it's a crazy few days. It's September eleventh, So that's September eleventh through the thirteenth. And like I said, it's located on Highway seventy five, and of course there's all kinds of garage sales going off the highway, but it's pretty cool to see the whole highway lined up with places of many little flea markets on the you know, certain parking lots and so that's going to be a pretty pretty wild few days.
Speaker 2: And always remember.
Speaker 1: Last year it was so big you had to put some of it at the fairgrounds.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and there's probably even more spots going to be pop up this year. But you always can contact miss Kay, you know, go to the website. She's a wonderful lady and she can definitely guide you to where you want your tent or your little mini flea market.
Speaker 1: So how are the parks coming along?
Speaker 3: So we have that with my little friends of Dewey Parks.
Speaker 2: I guess I should talk about next.
Speaker 3: We are still you know, getting donations, still asking to buy some bricks. We did get some bricks in. That was pretty fun and pretty amazing to see the little palette of all these bricks in our hard work of you know what we're going to decorate the park with. But we still have time to order more also to donate. Our restrooms were running just swimmingly.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect addition to that park.
Speaker 3: And to start focusing on the flagpole will be going in next but this wonderful rain has kind of inhibited that.
Speaker 2: So once you see that flagpole, I just think everything is going to start coming into place.
Speaker 3: Of course you go to the website and learn about what we are. In case people don't know about the Friends of Dewey Parks, because I am part of that. We have it's a nonprofit obviously organization that's focusing on the parks in our city of Dewey. And right now we're focusing on that one right there that's centered in the downtown.
Speaker 2: We have the bathrooms up and running.
Speaker 3: Like I said in the flagpoles, we do have one shipment of bricks that have been ordered that are already here. And our good friend Marty, she said a really nice, simple quote. And what we're looking for is we're trying to provide a calm, cool, refreshing place to visit and play.
Speaker 2: And soak in the community's friendly atmosphere.
Speaker 1: And I tell you what I mean, much friendlier than Dewey, that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure, quote unquote.
Speaker 1: You know, you've got a lot of things coming up here. You've got what the Western.
Speaker 3: Heritage Shake coming here that's going to be in not Yeah, so that's coming up and I know we'll talk about that the next couple of months. And we know miss Carlotta Gordon, she's the head of that, and she's an awesome woman.
Speaker 2: I've been able to work with her each year. Hopefully she'll have me again this year. That'll be fun. But that's just going to get bigger and bigger too. Oh yeah, it's just going to get bigger.
Speaker 3: And I enjoy watching the steer go down.
Speaker 1: The street, big old longhorns, horns, and the big old the big old stampede. Whi's more like a mosy.
Speaker 3: Warm, I know, but it is pretty cool to see those massive, you know, beasts just like them just doing what they do and no matter if it was a street or the pasture or big chunk of land.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty cool, you know.
Speaker 1: Do we had so much history there with everything, and plus a lot of contemporary as well, so you've got a beautiful mix. And of course the downtown area you've got a lot of antique entrepreneurs exactly.
Speaker 3: So second Saturdays are a wonderful time to see what we have going on downtown and see just be able to see new stores that we have coming in and new places.
Speaker 2: But again there's other places.
Speaker 3: That are you know, on the outskirts, you so, but we have the downtown.
Speaker 2: But then you can also figure out what other places like to hit, especially the restaurant, and all.
Speaker 1: That cuts her tail down the streets is.
Speaker 2: Her tail down the street. You're right later on drinks and especially his he has some pretty good craft beer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He's a great dog. He's a Yes, he's a great guy. He actually took care of our.
Speaker 3: Star dog that we had, our town dog that unfortunately passed away. Yes, that awesome man took him and buried him because you kind of lived right next to him. So Ghosts or til Brewery. He's an awesome guy for sure.
Speaker 2: But speaking of a.
Speaker 3: Little bit about city stuff, I do you have some cities talk real quick.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder that the city.
Speaker 3: Will pick up tree limbs in four foot bundles that are no more than fifty pounds, so you can just bundle up. That's pretty cool at least help, you know, with all this weather and tree limbs and stuff down. But we also have the upcoming city election. I have the questions that are coming for September ninth. There's three proposals. One of them is the water main and fire hydrant replacement, second one is six new vehicles for the police department, and the third one is the.
Speaker 2: Road repair and overlays.
Speaker 3: Oh my way out of my pay grades, sir, But I think I said it right.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, who doesn't want good.
Speaker 3: Roads, right, especially with all this rain and seeing the little mini sinkholes you know that just come out of nowhere of a nice new road.
Speaker 2: So that's true, that's true. That's a tire too.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing, I know, one headache got resolved. That stop light down the.
Speaker 3: Drove working good, Yes, yes it did, and that that was actually done pretty quick. You know, you can only do so much as your own one entity and then hope that you can get the help from other places.
Speaker 2: But that was a pretty serious thing.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: You know, you think, oh, just dig the hole.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of you got to go under the road, and you got to do this, and you know it takes about fifteen scientists, a few thousand engineers and a bunch of hard labor.
Speaker 2: And I love learning about it. But again, way out of my pay grade, I was. I'm glad it was fixed.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Doing is a wonderful place to visit, wonderful place to shop, and of course a lot of history that goes on there too, but just friendly people.
Speaker 2: All the way around, I think, So I love it.
Speaker 1: You've kind of earned that name of a small town America city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, city, Dewey, Yes we can Dewey. Yes, I already got that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's always great when you're in here because what we do is we find out what we don't know. Because for so many people who've been around for a long time, they said, well do we do we and then it's like, well, wait a minute, I didn't know they did that. Wait a minute, I didn't know they did that. They do that too.
Speaker 3: And I'm always available for any kind of questions or you can call city hall or contact you any department that you need.
Speaker 2: We'll try and get that.
Speaker 3: I'll definitely try and get the question answered and learn all about it myself.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's one of the things that I like. Whenever I have to call a city hall, if they don't know the answer right off the bat, they will definitely give you somebody who does. I want to thank you for coming in, Laurie.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tom.
Speaker 1: All right, you've been watching and listening to Community Connection