Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Monster Talk is supported by listeners like you. Find out how you can contribute via Patreon or with reviews at monster talk dot org, Forge slash support. Your contributions, large or small, make a huge difference. Thanks.
Speaker 1: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before. A giant, very creature. Part eighte part net.
Speaker 3: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Mormster. Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and this is a special Patreon bonus episode that was set up by Matthew Baxter, who has himself been on the show several times as a guest. Together, we had the opportunity to interview a man who is a director, an artist, a writer, and many other things beside Larry Blamyre. Over the course of our discussion, we mentioned quite a few movies and other projects, and I've tried to put links to all that in the show notes at monster talk dot org and on Patreon, at Patreon dot com, forward slash monster Talk. So let's get onto the Mormster We're excited to welcome Larry Blamyir to Monster Talk. But who is Larry Blamyre? To answer that question, we brought on Larry Blamire.
Speaker 4: Well, it's too bad you don't have an expert, because then he can tell you right away. To the best of my knowledge, I am a writer, director, artist, playwright, actor, so I dabble in a lot of things. But most folks know me for a film called The Lost Skeleton of Cadabra, which was released by Sony in two thousand and four, and then we did several other films in that sort of genre, which was a kind of gentle spoof of old fifties black and white sci fi movies. And I'm also a painter and I've been a science fiction illustrator, so I've won a lot of hats and that requires a lot of heads.
Speaker 2: The end, nice, Well, welcome to the show, Thank you, and Matthew I should welcome you too, well.
Speaker 1: Thank you all Right off, I have to say, seeze, Larry, get a job.
Speaker 4: Don't you mean pick a job? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, does that make you an odd tour? I saw that word the other day and I thought, do I really know what that means? And I looked it up and it sounded like someone who wants to have control over every aspect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been referred to as as that because as I do on these on the films that I've made and other and short films, I have done quite the writing and the directing, and I will sometimes act in them also. So yeah, I guess it is very autori ish.
Speaker 2: Cool. Congratulations. That makes you the first self described on tour we've had.
Speaker 1: On Oh really, Yeah, well, I just refer to you as a micromanager.
Speaker 2: The closest I've come before, I think was when I went to Olive Garden and had a tour of Italy. Yeah, like, you're quite creative. I should have warned you there would be puns at my apologies if that's an issue. So you've you've created monsters for paintings, comic books, film, and and I know you probably get this a lot, but how do you come up with the different creatures you use in your works?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want to in particularly think we've got a lot of people in the audience who are also creative, and sometimes you know they're just looking for guidance or a little nudge. You know you can do it. And I think having somebody on like yourself is going to be really great for that. But when you answer this question, I guess we're not mean like where do you get your ideas? But really literally like what are the best techniques for like generating ideas like that? In the monster space, A.
Speaker 4: Lot of the monsters I come up with it in in paintings or in my movies are sort of riffs on things that I saw as a kid because I was I was just absorbing all of the monster movies I could. And the you know, I think the gateway monster for me and probably for a lot of other kids too, is the dinosaur. I mean, kids discover dinosaurs and it's just a very strange thing because what they were, they were real, they were walking around. I mean, that's that's phenomenal. And from there, you know, dinosaurs lead to so many other monsters. But I particularly like, especially in paintings, going with things that are against nature, like sort of asymmetrical monsters where you've got because you know, nature has said symmetry. So when you do a monster with you know, with two eyes on one side and one way up in the in the corner. I mean that kind of stuff that the more grotesque, the better. And I think I like to create creatures that really kind of make people just sort of shape their head and worry about me.
Speaker 1: Of course, all kids really loved dinosaurs. But when did your passion for monster movies actually begin?
Speaker 4: The uh, the one you know, seeing them on TV was such a revelation. I mean King Kong used to run a lot when I was a kid on TV and and uh and that was certainly one of the first that I saw. And then the films of Ray Harryhausen uh where, And I to this day I love stop motion animation and I I just think it's fantastic. It's and you know, it's got such a solidity to it, and there can be some good CG. But I love the stop motion and and so I think those were probably the ones that that sort of first pulled me in, the stop motion creatures, and and it creates such a strange reality, you know, it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: It does. I think Harry howse and Bradberry, who were both lifelong friends and collaborators, both also got their start and dinosaurs, I mean that was their their gateway monster as well. I think it's yeah, I bet I bet that's true for a lot of our listeners. I think what you mentioned top motion. One of the cool things about the stop motion stuff is how well it holds up on Blu ray and these high deff formats. You know, I think a lot of the CGI stuff. I don't know if this is true so much anymore, but you know, back in the day, it seemed like you could tell a difference in the pixel density between when there was a CGI effect and the sort of the film stock of the actual you know, main screen. And I don't see that issue in stop motion so much. It just it looks so other practical effects.
Speaker 4: I do too, And I think the solidity of practical effects, whether it's a man in a suit or a stop motion puppet or an animatronic creation, I think it creates more of a sense of wonder. And that's what drew me in as a kid. It's pulling me into a certain world. And now there's so much I mean, when you when you see a typical shot in a movie these days, especially a fantasy film or science fiction or something, the you know, the entire world kind of looks nothing looks real. Nothing looks real, and and I'm just not too keen on that. I mean, I don't accept that as a reality. It's not pulling me in. It's making me think, oh this, that's wow. There's some really nice artwork right there, but it doesn't pull draw me in.
Speaker 2: You're known for the Lost Skeleton of the Cadabra, but that's not all that you've been doing, and we'll talk about some of your current stuff as well during this interview. But I was curious about if did when you when you created that, were you thinking, I want this to look like a low budget movie because it has to be a low budget movie or or that sort of b nineteen fifty style, nineteen sixties sel What were you thinking, like, what were you emulating and what really makes a great film of that style in your mind?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's that was a case of really the budget was driving the idea, which was driving the budget. So it was like, you know, we're gonna make We're going to try to convincingly make something that looks like and originally we thought we'd make maybe like a lost movie you know that was discovered, so we wanted to look as authentically nineteen fifties low budget as possible. That really works out for your actual budget, which was low budget. It wasn't you know, really it was a low budget movie. So we're really like, we're really cutting corners. Now that you know, having said that, is I mean, there's this there is a heightened sense of absurdity. Absurdity is one of my my driving passions. I just I just love the absurd and really the the lascow on the cajabra is is is an excuse. The old movie is a framework for for for absurdity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, I think it's obviously a lot of things influenced you there. I was thinking about some of the Korman movies. You know, I don't know if you've read his biography, but it's his autobiography. I guess I should say, yeah, that's so interesting because you know, he doesn't it was about making money, like being efficient, like spending less and making more right and but he did a great job and when he actually got more money, he did better production quality.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking about this that style, that the sort of you know, constrained by what you had when you made this. Now you made this in I think two thousand and one, right, and it shot on videotape, right, yes, And so I know a lot of people that I meant, who were curious how to break into this sort of work. Can you talk a little bit about the changes in technology between two thousand and one and now, because it feels like right now people are carrying around better cameras in their pockets on the cheapest phone than I ever had access to back then.
Speaker 4: There's no question about it. But you know, ultimately, my feeling is that it doesn't the technology doesn't matter. For instance, you can frame your shots in a certain way if you're trying to make something look like an old movie, you can frame your shots in a certain way that lends itself to that. And then you can and you can direct the actors in a certain way that makes it makes that happen too. I guess I'm saying that to me, You know, the technology doesn't matter too much. When we made a few years later, we made trailer Screen Forehead, and that has a whole different look. It's got a sort of wide screen candy technique colors sort of look to it, and we have a much better camera at that time, so that lent itself to that look. And I think, you know, I I but I think access has never been better. And that's a good thing because it does mean that you can make a movie with your phone, and really it's all about it, so much about the storytelling that I don't think the technology is going to change that fact.
Speaker 2: It does feel that way them. I mean, I see some of the stuff my wife shoots on her phone's camera. Look, some of the quality of the stuff she shoots looks as good as stuff I see on you know, high end television or movies. It's just I mean it's really I mean, for a cat video, they're amazing.
Speaker 4: It's true, Yeah, it is. It's it's it's it's gotten ridiculous. I mean, we are definitely carrying around in our pockets something better than we shot Lost Skeleton with. But you know, so and so that's it. That is a good thing. I mean, it really does mean that the kids can get into filmmaking a lot earlier than they might normally have.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, and I know some who started making films as kids and making videos as kids, and it's it's great.
Speaker 1: You know, you talk about a low budget of a lot of these movies, but you actually have some pretty darn good actors in your movies, you know, Fay Masterson and Brian Howe and Jim Beaver. Yeah, what are you paying them with?
Speaker 4: What we you mean paying? I don't know what you're talking about manure. Even though Last Gill and Cadaver costs very little, we did do it on a very low budget SAG contract, right because most of us working on that were SAG actors at the time. We are working within within that confine. A couple of the cast weren't weren't SAG. But as far as the people you mentioned, the quality this, you couldn't have a better stock company. Uh, I'm just so fortunate to be, you know, to work with folks like this. A lot of them came uh from uh from a number of them came from Boston theater where I was working for years as a playwriting director and actor. And so some of the folks were friends of mine from theater and and and some of them were new folks in l a Brian Howe, who came from Boston along with me and old buddy of mine. He introduced me to a lot of the folks in LA when I came. When I got to LA, that came into our stock company too, so we kind of have a mix, have a mixture of folks from the East and West coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the chemistry between all you guys is always fantastic and it even carries through, uh into you know, tales from the Pub, and it's just it's a lot of fun to watch you guys work now with uh, with a lot of these you know, it seems like you you really kind of enjoy that that style of the nineteen fifties and that type of monster in these movies. Is there is there a real reason that you're keeping these kind of monsters alive, that you're keeping them around.
Speaker 4: I'm still a kid when it comes to monsters, and I really do love them, and uh, you know, it's been a there's been a pleasant surprise of having kids respond to these movies, not like it's something strange and distant, but they're enjoying it on a different level and they enjoy the monsters, which you're you know, the monsters in these movies are pretty fairly family friendly, I think, and that's just a it's a great thing to keep alive. I mean, I think monsters for me were like this will sound weird, but they're monsters are like a sort of gateway drug to existentialism. And by that, I mean that they jar us from a certain complacency, which is why I got as a kid, I got into uh, you know, after discovering monsters on TV. I'm then I'm then, you know, finding books in the library on the Abominable Snowman, Bigfoot and the Lockedness Monster, UFOs and stuff, and that's started a lifelong fascination with that. And I think these, you know, when people have sightings like this, there's a certain jarring from everyday life that actually makes us think about how weird the universe is. Because I mean, if you're looking at superstring theory and things like that and and quantum physical I mean things are weird. I mean they're weird, you know, multiverse and these are like when there's a sighting of a UFO or something. I mean, it's like a concrete, more concrete. It's a more tangible symbol of that kind of thing. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does. It transport says from the mundane to the numinus.
Speaker 4: Yes, very nicely done.
Speaker 2: Nicely said.
Speaker 4: Now, I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk really, really briefly about your your Steam Wars art have been lucky enough to get to see some of it. It's really, to me a huge departure from your films like Los Skeleton of Cadavra, and some of it kind of even reminds me a little bit. I don't know if you ever saw a Queen's album art for News of the World and had these huge kind of robots that were just monstrous and frightening, but completely indifferent to the people that they were kind of destroying. Accidentally, what kind of inspired your Steam Wars art?
Speaker 4: I think, you know, it's kind of hard to say, but the best I can come up with is that I remember doing a mural in high school that had a lot of things going on in it, and you know, like crazy surreal sort of things, and there was this there was this giant machine and it was sort of shaped like a as if it was a Greek armor, like like kind of like Tailo's from Jason and the Argonauts, a little bit like that, and that might have been of an influence, actually, but there were tiny little people on top of it, and that gave me the idea for this sort of alternate reality, kind of very steampunk kind of reality where war everything's the same, except war is fought on these giant machines that are manned by a crew. And the adventure that the first adventure I wrote was in the form of a of a diary kept by a crew member on one of these, and I wanted it to have that kind of POV and it's kind of I wanted to be kind of gritty and grimy, and we're talking, you know, we're talking cold driven machines here that are manned by a crew, but they're in the shape of giant warriors, and so you have some of that Victorian elegance combined with the raw steam power, you know, which is which is a contrast that I find interesting and that led me to sort of create this whole world. Yeah, it seemed like it your your sense of.
Speaker 1: Humor didn't come through nearly as much as as this this bizarre stark, you know, alternate reality, and it was really interesting to look at.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yeah, it was. Yeah, it's it's it's fairly serious. I mean there's a certain wry humor the way you find among the you know, the camaraderie that you find in something like Gunga Din, you know, uh, and you know, the guys who were griping it having to shovel coal and just that kind of thing. And there's humor in that, but I mean, beyond that, it's pretty much a straightforward action adventure.
Speaker 2: Since we had mentioned the Queen alt, Frank Kelly Fries was the artist on that. Editor's note, it's actually pronounced like freeze on both the Queen cover and the actual It was actually a takeoff on a Weird Tales cover he'd done years and years before, so he was a long time old Weird Tales artist. I'll put some show notes about that too. Just interesting here.
Speaker 4: He did some great stuff for Mad Magazine too.
Speaker 2: All right, but okay, speaking of Las Scoles and a Panagre all these years later, are you are you still finding new fans? Are you? Are you hearing from people who are but first just now getting in touch with it.
Speaker 4: I never stop hearing from fans. I will get, you know, on a weekly basis, a new you know, a message on Facebook or Twitter saying how much they loved the movie, how much it means to them, and and for a lot of people, it's kind of a it's kind of a comfort food. It's kind of a go to thing like I've heard people say, you know, they kind of down and they put on lost skillet. That's the best feeling I've had. People. I don't mean, I don't know, I just might not sound right, but people illing have found a comfort in the movie too, which I'm very grateful for before kids kids seem to like it too. So hey, kids like it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my uh, one of my friends is a huge fan, and he told I told him that you were going to be on and he wanted me to pass this along, which is that he showed this movie to his nine year old nephew and when they got to the line, oh it's you the idiot, he lost it. And apparently, even all these years later, he just continues to use that line for, you know, for his uncle there. I don't know if it's to his uncle, but he said he wanted to let you know, thank you so much for that because it's led to so many fun memories.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that. That reminds me of another fun thing, which is and people think I get sick of this, but I don't. People quote from the movie all the time, and apparently there's a number of lines to quote that people remember and say frequently like around the house. That's that's very flattering.
Speaker 2: That is that's nice. Yeah, a strong the metic content.
Speaker 1: So when you're at like cons and stuff, do people yell these out to you from across the room.
Speaker 4: No, they come up to me and yell on my face. And of course if it's a lot of skeleton, you've got to yell at because he yells everything.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. A particular fan favorite line that you hear the most often I sleep, now, that would probably be it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that might be it. That might be it. I mean, there's there's quite it. There's a few, but but that might be the one.
Speaker 2: Who I was thinking about the influences on Los Skeleton? Would you say, I mean, were you influenced by ed Wood Roger Korman? Like who did you feel like was the strongest influence?
Speaker 4: It was, Yeah, And I'm asked this question a lot, and I think it comes it's really My answer is pretty much that I was like a sponge for all these movies, and and you know, I was watching all kinds of horror movies, but it was those nineteen fifties sci fi horror movies that really grabbed me for some reason. So when I wrote Last Skeleton, which was in a matter of days. It just kind of came out, and I was drawing on all this, all all of these movies that I had absorbed over the years, but the one specific, the most specific thing I would say is the Crowbar and Lattice, the alien couple are very much inspired by Aeros and ton Of from Plan nine from outer Space. So Edwood deserves a lot of credit and his his wonderful language. I mean, there's nothing quite like Edward language. And that was a big.
Speaker 2: Stupid minds, stupid, stupid.
Speaker 4: You see, you see your stupid minds, stupid, stupid exactly, you know, and uh, and that was a big influence on me and on on creating a specific kind of language for the film, not just for the aliens, who have a very unique way of talking, but but for everybody, you know. And I love words. I'm a word guy. I love words.
Speaker 1: I have to tell you. Larry. The other normal co host for the show, Karen Stoles, No, she tends to hate everything, but she really really loves your wordplay that you write. She's a PhD linguist and she absolutely loves the wordplay that you have. So she has watched everything.
Speaker 4: So well, thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Now with the Lost Kelton, the Lost Skelton himself is the main antagonist, and then you've got, of course, and while I you got doctor Roger Fleming, and then you got the Mutant himself as this extra bad guy. And it was a kind of a common tactic in these nineteen fifties B films to kind of have a team of bad guys, even if they weren't on the same team.
Speaker 4: You know, he's kind of it's I think it's a very touching finale for him, though, And I think that he as someone says he can't he sort of can't help it. I think it's Betty that says that, and so he's sort of he's sort of a mixed I think he's I think he's somewhat sympathetic, whereas the Skeleton is not at all. I mean, we actually have two monsters in the movie, the Mutant with a great costume built by my friend Courtney Skinner, and the and the Skeleton himself, who is probably the cheapest movie monster you could come up with. I mean, it's a skeleton, you know, so plastic, and I wasn't quite thinking of this intentionally until I got to the end of the end of it that that it was. You know, you've got sci fi horror movies in the fifties. Well, here's sci fi and horror in the Monsters. The Mutant is a sci fi monster. You know. I hadn't set out to do that specifically, but but there they are battling sci fi and horror battling at the end. It's like the duel, the Titanic Duel at the end of the Universe.
Speaker 1: There what a duel it was. It was amazing. Now I have to ask that I loved the sequel, but we were teased that there was going to be a threequel. If the Lost Skeleton walks among us, is there any hope, Well.
Speaker 4: There's always hope, and and that kind of leads me into something which I'm going to tell you about. I can say this because when this is heard, it will be after the date when I can announce it. So I'm gonna I can I can say this now that we are doing a We're not at Los Skeleton three yet, but we are about to put out a blu ray of the Lost Skeleton returns again with almost two hours worth of extras. There's a forty minute behind the scenes making of some wonderful footage there. There's two new short films that I'm making, similar to a film that I may called a short I may called a World Without Lost Skeleton, which you can see on YouTube. Yes, I'm making two videos like that, and we're gonna do a We're gonna do a Kickstarter for this, and you know, I think that if this Blu ray does well, we could lead to perhaps Blu rays of my other movies and uh and who knows, I mean, maybe something like this will help get the attention or whatever's need did for a Lost Skeleton three. We'll see. I'm always open minded about about number three. But we're excited about the Blu ray and it's gonna look phenomenal. So that's good.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you, that's very exciting. I loved, you know, some of the again, some of the lines in both the original Loss Skeleton and the sequel Returns again uh or just great. I loved the when they were out in the woods and uh Fay Masterson's character hears some noise and uh asks the ranger what could be and he says, oh, that sounds like something from the Monster Family. That whole little section right there. I really feel Blake should be using in the intro of this show, and I think, yeah, perfect time to ask for permission to use it, because you have quite perfect.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, if you if you do want to go that route, please do yes. Awesome And you know mentioning Lost Skeleton returns again, that is more of a monster movie than the first one. Uh and it it I didn't want to do, you know, a sequel that was more of the first one. So it's a very different way. It's a jungle adventure basically, and of course it and it turns into color part way through the film, which was which was a fun thing to do. But the monsters in that, the two main monsters in that are the Graalmanopodon and the magriclob and they are each one one of them is named in the scientific manner and the other one is named in the in the more mythologic. The magriclop sounds more mythological. Graumanopodon. I think it's sort of, you know, semi scientific sounding name. I mean it sounds like a pre stort mammal name. Yeah, and again that was something I didn't like intentionally do I only thought about that after the fact that their names sort of made one science based in the other mythology based. But I was very I was very pleased with that movie, and I think I think it was I'm glad we did something that was that different from the first one, you know, because I don't I'm not crazy about sequels in general.
Speaker 2: Every time a good one comes out, people are like, oh, look a good sequel, it's so rare, and then every time a bad one comes out there with sequels are never good. So I don't really actually know what the stats are, but it's clear you at least love vintage movies, these old B movies and fifty thousand. But how do you feel about modern movies? What are the movies you really are enjoying these days?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't see everything that comes out. I mean I don't see a whole lot. If something interests me, I go check it out. I think my favorite movie in recent years was a film called Triangle, which is truly strange. And I'm interested in films that really go somewhere different and are just afraid to do that. Triangle was one of them. It's about five six years old now, maybe, and I'm gonna blank on the filmmaker's name. It's a British filmmaker and I'm sorry I can't remember his name.
Speaker 2: Triangle is a two thousand and nine film directed by Christopher Smith. No relation a link to it will be in the show notes.
Speaker 4: That was one that really stuck out from me. And there's another film called Coherence, which is really strange. I'm just I'm intrigued by high strangeness. Yeah, is it really go somewhere weird and in a subtle way? You know that that really intrigues me. I'm catching I'm still catching up with movies that I saw Hugo the other day, which I'd never seen. It was pretty wonderful, you know, and I, you know what, it didn't sound great to me, but but I'm glad I saw it.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was really good.
Speaker 1: I actually wanted to ask about two things. First off, you were talking about naming these monsters in Last Skeleton Returns Again. I've noticed over all of your work that I've been exposed to, the names you come up with seem to be pulled from somewhere different. Do you have a formula? I mean, you got a sturpy long neuter and you know, like Lattice and Crowbar. You've got just these really bizarre names. Do you have a formula for creating character names?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the first and most important thing is does it sound good? Is it like I think of billiard balls clicking together? Does it have a certain the consonants clicking together in a pleasing manner? And if see if they do that, then it can kind of sound like, Hey, that might be a real name. I think. I think I want it to be a ridiculous name that sounds like it could be. It sounds like it could be real. You know, Truth and like Truth and Nuban, who introduces the character that Andy Parks plays.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love Truth and Nuban.
Speaker 4: I mean it sounds it sort of sounds right at first you think about it. Wait a minute, Truth and No. No, that's I think if there's a key, if there's a formula for me, I think it's that.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, speaking of Truth and Nuben. All of the tales from the pub I just I love them and people need to go to YouTube and watch these. They're each about two minutes long, and they're just great and they kind of to me, they recall kind of like little shorts of like a twilight Zone or the Outer Limits or Night Gallery or one of those old things. Was there a specific show you were kind of spoofing when you were making that series?
Speaker 4: It it comes I think the one that comes closest to is One Step Beyond Uh that John Newland hosted, and and they're available on DVD. You can you can see these and.
Speaker 1: Not the Madness song no.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the House of Fun though, you know, and uh and and there's a little bit of twilight Zone too.
Speaker 4: I think, for instance, the one called Puppet for Your Thoughts is maybe more of twilight Zone than One Step Beyond Uh right, right? But uh, but you know what I think people think when they watch these two. I'm sure some people think that I, you know, that while he's really you know, he's really making fun of these shows. But I love those shows. I really love those shows. So I I my interest is in again absurdity. You know, they're like little outlets for being just really absurd and absurdist. And I actually I have a genuine fondness for those actual shows. But they were fun to do, and they were great exercises because you got to you got two minutes you kind of in and out. You've got to make your point. You got to make the story happen in two two and a half minutes, and that's it. Which is a nice challenge. It's a nice filmmaking challenge.
Speaker 1: Do you plan to ever create a movie that's actually set in modern times or do you kind of feel like the fifties is your medium? No?
Speaker 4: You know, after a lost skill in the cadaver, I mean I was doing I was doing theater for year. That was a playwright for a number of years in the Boston area. The first thing I ever wrote was a dark western, really dark. And I also wrote a very dark play about Irish gangs in the eighteen nineties New York City. And I wrote a science fiction piece called Interface, which was set in wartimes, kind of based on the alleged Philadelphia experiment. And my point is that I'm all over the pl I mean, I love a lot of different stuff, but Los Skeleton kind of got me into a kind of covey hold me a little bit there, And you know, I followed up with another Lost Skeleton and trail Screaming Forehead and and dark and Stormy not so yeah, So I'm kind of in that. I'm kind of in that, but I'm doing all these other things. I co wrote a film with Kyle, my friend Kyle Rank and U Witch Files that oh you know you know y of course I know Kyle, Yeah, yeah, And I co wrote that with him. That's a modern day setting. There's a film I'd like to write later this year when I get some deadlines out of the way, that is also in a modern day setting, kind of a dark comedy. So despite what it seems, you know, the labeling of Lost Skeleton, I like all this different stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a It's great because I've seen a lot of your different stuff. And I want to mention to Blake too. I don't know if Blake knows that Larry's got a lot of great artwork that uh for sale. We'll often, you know, put stuff up for sale on whether it's a Facebook or whatever. But he's also kind of available. I guess you could say, if you've got ideas for something that you would like to have turned into art. He I used to love those old magic or the Magician posters, you know, where they would have like the Magician and like the little devils and stuff around there around their heads. And stuff like that. And I contracted Larry to paint me in one of those, actually, me and Brian, and it turned out so beautiful. It was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 4: That was such a fun gig, really was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is is people need to know that, you know, they can get a custom piece of artwork done that has Larry's name down at the bottom, and to me, that just makes it so valuable in itself. But so yeah, I hit him up on Facebook or something. If you've got an idea and you want to have him do some work for you, it's it's great stuff.
Speaker 2: If you have a particular email or however you'd like to be contact, We've put that in the show notes too for for contract work.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. The the the easiest way is my I have two Facebook pages, a personal page in the in the public page, uh and anyone could you know? I hear I get messages through my public page all the time, and the same with Twitter too, So Twitter is you know I'm available on there, and those are the two best ways to reach me. Recently, I've been doing some art for and writing for an RPG. UH. Started it last year actually, and it's been kind of a long ongoing gig and I've done a lot of writing for them too, and it's called They Came from Beneath the Sea.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds good, and yeah, a.
Speaker 4: Very clever fellow named Matthew Dawkins got in touch with me and he came up with this for Onyx Path and I knew nothing about RPG. I still don't know a lot about role playing games, but but nevertheless I was able to do a lot of writing for it because it was fifty sci fi stuff that's sort of the base for it. And have had some real fun to illustrating for them too. So that's been that's been a nice gig that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love role playing games, and there was a call of Cthulhu is one of these role playing games that I really like. It's based on HP Lovecraft's work, and they had a they had some modules that were I think they were called Blood Brothers and Blood Brothers too, and one of the ones they were all basically movie kind of plot, so just you know, various kinds of movies, but your characters would go through these scary scenarios, you know, based on a film type. And one of the ones they had was Mexican wrestling movies. It was so awesome to be able to sort of play around with that idea. And that's the closest I've ever come to creating anything in this space. But it is neat how you know, despite all the and all the special effects improvements they've had over the years and all these other things, you can still have such a great time in that space. And you know those movies hold up well. Yeah, and your your homage is I think it's a nice mixture of comedy and respect. Actually, I really, Unfortunately, as much as we like talking to you, this is supposed to be our last question, we'd like to finish up our interviews with. This is really our signature question. I don't know if anyone prepared you or not. So give you a little time for a couple of shows. So okay, well there you go. All right, what is your favorite monster?
Speaker 4: Well? Can I give you from two answers? Which is one from movies and one from real life as far as we know it? Sure well the one I think the one from the movies would have to be the Cyclops and the Seventh Boys of sindbad Oh.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, which the emoting.
Speaker 4: There is just brilliant. The design of him or that is more one was like nothing before it, and it was copied somewhat afterwards. But I find that to be a wonderful, wonderful monster. As far as monsters that may or may not exist, I just love the whole. You know, the Kelly Hopkinsville event in the fifties, you've heard of I've.
Speaker 2: Heard of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, that, to me, I mean, is such a compelling story, the whole siege on the house, I mean, the whole, the imagery of it, whatever the truth behind it, it's a phenomenal tale. And so that might be those might be my favorite monsters in real life.
Speaker 2: I was probably understating it when I said I'd heard of it. Yeah, we did a three episode arc on it. It's been one of those monsters I've loved since I was a kid for the same reasons. And actually I still haven't made I've got a shot video of this, but I haven't put it together and put it online yet, and I need to. I did talk about this in Kentucky at a Cryptidcon last year. But what it is is when back in the original case work around that they one of the skeptical complaints about the whole thing was people thought that they for some reason, skeptics thought that the family had not actually shot through the window screens. They had just those were fake. They just poked a hole in the screen with sticks, right, yeah. And the think one of the complaints was that they were shooting out the window with a twenty gage shotgun. You know, it should have made a bigger hole, you know, and you know, a different pattern. And then also they were shooting twenty two, but they said that could have just been done with a pencil. So I looked, and nobody had actually done this really simple experiment. So taking the notes for how far away the people were from the screen window, I just took a twenty gage in a twenty two out in the country and shot up a screen window.
Speaker 4: Really yeah.
Speaker 2: And it turns out that what they had in their screen perfectly matches what I got in my test. The twenty gauge blows a hole about only about two inches across from the distance that they were shooting.
Speaker 4: And blastar's going to increase the farther.
Speaker 2: Distance exactly exactly it would, but at that distance it's smaller than my fist. It's just a little punch hole. And I videotape myself shooting this and I have some nice, good clear photos that just kind of so you know, it doesn't prove anything except that it continues to support the fact that, no matter what was really going on, those people were terrified and were shooting out their window.
Speaker 4: I don't think they were attacked by a gang of bowels.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if they were owls, they probably weren't drunk. That's important.
Speaker 4: And by the way, you know, you asked me about recent movies, and I want to mention I discovered small Town Monsters last year. Oh yes, I'm a Seth Breedlove fan. Yeah, I heard your show when when Matthew asked me to be on here, I heard. I listened to that show and just I'm a big fan of those that he's doing. I think it's it's great stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I love the speaking of art. I love the post art that they put together that the I've got one, uh, I've actually got two on the wall up above me. Uh. The one for the flat Woods is just beautiful. That is a great post.
Speaker 4: And can I just say his recreation of flat Woods Monster on no budget was far superior to the show Blue Book that did just episode based on supposedly on the flat Woods.
Speaker 2: I don't they say don't they say inspired? They don't even say bad. It's like that's yeah, uses words from actual cases.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plus their hearts as we say down here. Well, Larry, it's been really great talking to you.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Likewise, likewise, I'm just I'm thrilled to actually to discover monster Talk. I confess that I did not know about this, and I'm you know, I'm now I'm a fan. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, I bet we're going to have some new Lost Skeleton fans after this as well.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to ask really quickly, is there anything that you're working on right at the moment that you want to squeeze in real quick that we can be sure to mention?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, I d well the RPG I'm is ongoing, and uh that they came from beneath the seat. If folks are into RPG and fifty sci fi, definitely check that out. A lot of fun stuff there and look for the Kickstarter and there'll be an Indiegogo. As for the Lost Skeletre returns again blu Ray with almost two hours of extra never before seen before material.
Speaker 2: Monstertle, you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith, and today you heard Matthew Baxter and me interview Larry Blamyer, director, artist and writer about his work as an independent filmmaker and the creator of the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and much more. Check the show notes for links to the Kickstarter for the ten year anniversary Blu ray of the Lost Skeleton returns again. Hurry on over to that link if you want to get in on this because there's not much time left. Monster Talks an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on this show are those of myself and my guests and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org. Forwarge slash support that's monster talk dot org forwarge Slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other. And finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Theme music is my pete stealing monkeys. Thank you for making time for us in your busy, busy lives.
Speaker 3: Want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week, Then subscribe to Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visit Skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 4: Oh say you don't believe those old legends about the lost skeleton of cadaver do.
Speaker 3: You Ranger Brad, I'm a scientist.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in anything