Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So forty eight hours from this exact moment, we will be joined. I'll be joined by Pat Kelsey in Charlotte for the ACC basketball Media Day tip off. I'll leave tomorrow morning, and Thursday is really the full day of coaches doing their press conference. I'm not sure if players are going to have a press conference. Each team is bringing two players along with of course they're head coach. For Louisville, that's going to be Javon Hadley and Chucky Hepburn, So we'll have all three on at some point, I believe, Well, I know Pat Kelsey's gonna be on with us at four and then the players I think have some downtime in that window as well, in the three to six, So at some point we'll bring those guys on and uh, just another sign that we're getting closer and closer to to basketball season. You know, Louisvilive was was was awesome. You know, it wasn't an event that I was looking to, you know, learn anything about the team and adjust expectations in any way, just because you know it's not what that is, but having it at the Young Center, I mean, I thought they did a really good job. You know, it's clearly an experimental kind of thing as far as how they're going to structure it. They did the three on three, which was kind of awkward, just because you know, like you don't really want them to compete against each other. And you know, if I was Pat Kelsey or Jeff Walls, you know, I would not want my players to be out there playing in something so meaningless that like, if somebody gets hurt, that's bad news. So, you know, the the state the arena itself, they didn't have any expectation for any any you know, crowd that would come close to full capacity, so the upper level was blocked off. And then the way they had like the entrance and whatnot. You know, I thought it. I thought it looked like a great I mean, it felt like a great environment being there. I thought it looked like a great environment. But of course, you know, anything that any event, I mean could be a I don't know, a field hockey game. No offense to the field hockey team at u of L. But like, you know, somebody takes a picture and there's an empty seat, like the big Blue bozos on Twitter, just the trolls just you know, make it out to where nobody goes to Louisville games and all that, and I just that's a conversation I really don't have the energy for right now. But I just I have no In fact, I don't know if I'm ever going to have the energy to have the conversation about fans that show up. And because it's just nobody wants to say it, but Louisville, especially in football and basketball, I think it's different, especially whenever things are going better. But in football, our stadium's do big.
Speaker 3: It doesn't need to be that big.
Speaker 2: It should be lots of moller. Keep that between us. Nobody wants to say it. And it's not just Louisville. There are other pro Like society evolves over time. People just don't go to those games that aren't big games like they once did. Like it's never been more convenient to watch something from home, and from a financial standpoint, like if you invest in season tickets, your investment is why you should go. You don't want to waste your money, right, But like nowadays, people that are you know, on the younger side, you know, my generation, maybe people even older. They realize I don't need to pay for season tickets. I can go to any game at want, and I don't want to go to every game because I can't give up every Saturday in the fall that we have home games. So like, it's just I mean, you could go back to what Louisville was whenever they knocked off West Virginia in that blackout game, when they had no expansion, obviously no upper deck and it wasn't closed off yet, and you know, if that was full capacity, you'd have a rowdy ass atmosphere and your stadium would look a lot more full. I know why Jurich wanted to expand it at times. But anyways, that's a conversation for you know, down the line. But I'm just I no longer care even pay much attention to empty seats that I see when I go to a game or when I watch it, and it's never really impact. Like I just don't. I can't relate to people who go to a game or even an event like Louisville Live and see empty seats and let it impact. I mean, you can't control that, right, Like you can't go. You don't have a bus with unlimited seats where you can drive around the city and pick up everybody and make sure they show up on Like, you can't control that, So why would you let it bother you about? I mean, you paid to go there, you're there, enjoy yourself right now. You don't want it to be empty. You want the atmosphere to be good. But like I'm of the belief that if if things are going well on the floor or the field, those that are there, there's always gonna be a core there, they're gonna get routy and it's it's gonna be an atmosphere that is that is a good one. But if they would have not done the upper deck and they just closed off the stadium instead, like if that was the first expansion part and they just you know, they only did one because they did two over what about a ten year window actually a little bit less than that, I think, And I think a beya just closed off the stadium and not you know, added those seats that are the very top. You know, I think you'd have you know, and again, but but not like it doesn't matter, Like I don't think U of l even is that bothered when they see it because they understand like, hey, if we've got fifty plus thousand tickets out, you know, that's comparatively speaking, they're doing pretty good compared to you know, and they're not comparing themselves to you know, Penn State or Michigan or Georgia Alabama, because like, we like Louisville's fan base. Again, this is something that like, I don't think it's a sensitive thing to say. I don't think that like it's it means anything negative. It's just the truth. Louisville's fan base is not that big. I mean, it just isn't doesn't mean it's not a great fan base that is passion I think, in fact, it's almostly a compliment because when things are you know, when you've got momentum, you know, you can see just how many passionate fans there are. But like showing up no matter who you play every single Saturday, no matter how bad you might be, like Nebraska, like that's not us and it never will be. And that's okay. But I think some people are just obsessed with like are you kidding me? You see like that they're taking attendance at games and wanting to hold people accountable as fans like get a life. Sorry back to Louisville Live. I thought the crowd was great and it was a lot of fun. I will say this though, Jeff Walls's team they put the men's team to shame with as far as the introductions and the energy and the dancing. I mean, they were into it. They were having a good time. You know, I don't know if Coach Kelsey's guys are more about you know, not Dan and I'm fine with not dancing, but like you know, they weren't willing to go out there and you know, cut up. Some of them were, but not not. You know, the girls team was, I mean they were. They were impressive with their you know, they put on a show and you know the men's team did too. But like I was expecting, you know, when you go, women's team gets introduced in the men's team like a big drop off. And you know, it wasn't just dancing. I'm trying to think of another you know, just energy. You know, those guys were appreciative of the fans. You know, they were throwing T shirts and they were into it. But man, the women's team, they were having a ball out there. All right, it's coffee and company. We are feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. I'm gonna tell you something that you already know, and I'm probably going to be a little dramatic here, but I'm just gonna tell you how I feel. This game on Saturday against Virginia is massive. It's monumental. It's it's the biggest game of Jeff Brohm's career. I mean not really that really was an exact But to say it's a big game and that there's a lot on the line here, I think is the truth. And when you say, you know, must win game, it really isn't because like if you don't, what happens, I mean, they're not going to fire him. You still have a lot of season left. Like technically, it's not a must win game, because again, when you say must win, that indicates there's going to be some type of a huge consequence if you don't win, and I don't really think there's going to be as far as like action take. You know, it's not that. But I think there are a lot of fans that have been frustrated. They've been vocal about it, and they really just want to see this team stop making foolish mistakes and playing sloppy and just go out and get a win, especially against a team that you know you're better than, at least you should be better than. And you know, the sloppy play, the fourth down decisions, the disorganization, it's been frustrating. But as I said earlier, and this really is. I mean, I don't say this to cheer you up, because I find it more frustrating that you are three and two when you could have been five and oh if you just you know, tightened some things up, came out sharp. So that's frustrating. But again, the two teams that have beat you are teams that you know, we're good enough to take advantage of your mistakes. Notre Dame and SEU are both top twenty five teams now. But if you lose to Virginia, it's a different story. Like there's no way to maneuver out of that one. There's no way to say, well, you know, well, hey, we'll hey Virginia, you know they're good. No they're not. You know they're not. Don't lie to yourself. And right now, I mean, you just need a win. I feel like it's dramatic to say to stop the bleeding, but you're one in five in your last six games against Power four teams, and yes, not all of those situations are the exact same, but facts are facts, and I think a loss here would would would have set a level of concern, frustration, anger, sadness, whatever, you know, a lot of different ways you could describe it, but I think all those things are turned up five levels higher than what they're at right now if you don't beat Virginia on Saturday. And that doesn't mean that you know, people are going to be saying Jeff needs to go or anything like that, and I hainte even bringing that up, but I think we are, like we went through a very toxic period as a fan base where when we would criticize coaches, I think the root of our frustration was that we did, in fact want them to be fired. I mean, certainly with Kenny. I mean I didn't with Mac, but some people did. And with Sadderfield. You know, I felt like Louisville needed to go in a different direction, but I also never felt as if they were going to do that because he never gave him a fireable offense, and he wasn't bad enough to where you just can him. But it all worked out, you know, it all worked out well in the end, So like we can be critical of Brahm and and hold him accountable and understand that his job is to not have a football team that makes these kind of mistakes and he's responsible for his defensive coordinator too. I mean, like that that's how it works. So you know, I wouldn't call it healthy, but maybe that is that maybe maybe it is healthy as a fan base to know that we can be upset, be critical, and maybe lose our minds because we care so much. But it doesn't mean that like we want the guy gone. So there's my disclaimer. I'm going to stop including it because it's probably giving it life potentially, you know what I mean. John, Like you're a little younger than me, so maybe this is just like what it used to be able to be upset with your coach and it didn't mean that you think that they shouldn't be your coach. And I feel like now it's not just loisvill fans. I think it's just society. Like we got to be so yeah, we got to be so extreme with the other right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's so many people that are you know, the loud portions of the fan base that you see on Twitter specifically, I think that's kind of enhanced that level of people assuming that all the angry people want the coaches fired.
Speaker 2: And you know, it can be over dated, that doesn't real That does not reflect even a decent percentage of like the actual people that have opinions on these things. It's just it just doesn't And it's hard to remember that whenever it's such a constant thing, meaning social media. If you're on there, you're probably on there pretty frequently. But like I can see it now, I don't think I've put anything out there that will come back to get me. I mean, I've been critical of the team and you know whatnot. But there'll be people who and I'm trying to give you an example of it, like last year when Louisville beat Miami in basketball. You remember that that was Kenny's only road win here, and that was that was before we knew Miami had really you know, they were gonna be that bad. But like that night, there were there were people like pulling tweets and whatnot and trying to dunk it dunk on people and rub it in their face that like, hah, well, you got to say about Kenny now, And I'm like what so like if Louisville gets it rolling and they went out unrealistic and I don't even I'm not even processing that as a possibility in any way until I see him win a game. But like if they do finish strong, there'll be people huh, well, y'all got to say about Jeff's sports down call now, I'm like, I'm saying the same thing it was. It was. It was a poor decision at Notre d Aim to go on the outside twice with with Donald Cheney. I mean like you know, like what do you mean, what do I what do you mean? What do I have to say now? Like that doesn't change anything because you know, we call it like it is. When there's criticism, that's that's you know, that's that's warranted. Then fans are going to criticize. Whenever things go well, people are going to celebrate. It doesn't mean like people who were critical initially were wrong that in fact, that actually is what's changed. That's the biggest difference I feel like in you know, the last five six years or so as to what it used to be like when you would just you know, bitch as a fan, I mean, just complain about things like, you know, not to be so blunt, but just because you know, you know, it's it's the fan on fan Crime. It's like, just because you know you were upset and you were you know, negative and pessimistic because the results were bad, doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy it whenever the results are, you know, the other way around. All right, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Uh so a big day here. When it comes to the n C Double A, the house bill has been officially settled. I guess, and I'm probably not using the right terminology here, but the NC double A house versus n C Double A settlement has discussed across various platforms and reports. Let's see this. I'm reading here directly from this feature on Twitter called Grock. Have you heard of it? It's like a it's Twitter's AI. Yeah, here's what it tells me because it on on the on the desktop version of Twitter to the it's got this like grock tab and you can click on like the big stories and groc will give you an AI breakdown of what this means. So the settlement was approved. A federal judge, Claudia Wilkin, has granted a preliminary approval to the House VERSUONSAA settlement. The settlement aims to establish a framework where colleges can directly pay their athletes. The final approval hearing for this settlement was scheduled for is scheduled for April seventh, coinciding with the morning of the men's basketball championship game. So the settlement includes a provision to pay two point eight billion dollars in back pay to former athletes for their past use of their name, image, and likeness. Moving forward, there's a plan for revenue sharing where over twenty billion would be distributed to future athletes. Each school within the Power five conferences can distribute up to around twenty one million annually to athletes for nil starting as soon as next season if finally approved. Thought it was approved, So this is really what's been discussed for the last I don't know six to eight weeks that this was what was going to happen. That moving forward, there would be a you know, it's not even really a rule. It's just they're allowing you to pay up to twenty one million roughly annually to your student athletes. And as we've discussed, they're not making you do it. But if you don't do it, how can you say that you're trying to compete, Like if you if you don't do it, like if you just say, oh, we don't have to pay them, we're not going to, then we'll just continue with what we're doing and see if we can get some you know, nil money in At that point, athletics would just be an expense for you that you that you wouldn't mean like, it would just be an expense like you wouldn't be good. So it's another reminder that like, even though this is a big step, it's a massive day by the way for college athletics. With that said, like it's still backwards, like calling it in IL, it's not in IL. It's paying for players. Ninety nine point nine percent of college athletes who make money because they play college sports. They're not getting the money because of their brand, right, It's not because of a tweet they sent out or a commercial they did. It's paying to get somebody to come play for your team, that's what it is, and saying that schools they can pay up to twenty one million dollars a year, like you know, I guess technically they're not making them do it, but like everybody knows that, like, you have to do that if you want to, if you want to at least have a chance to be competitive in the grand scheme of things when it comes to college athletics, and it's all it all goes falls back on the n S DOUAA because this is how it had to play out, because if they refuse to adapt and acknowledge that, like their amateurism model was archaic, and you know, they were so stubborn and just wouldn't budge. And then finally Congress got involved here and has said, no, you can't, like you're not allowed to say that these ud and athletes can't make money based off who they are. So never having a plan in place and never even trying to put a plan in place led it to this mess that we have here where it's still not you know, I mean, it's still far from you know, uncomplicated, at least you know from from you know, from what I can tell all right, quick break, we'll come back here. On the other side, Rick Patino is gonna be in Lexington this weekend for the Kentucky Vandy game. I get the sense that Kentucky fans don't really know how to feel about it, or they don't really care, or I don't know, maybe they're excited. I think a lot of Louisville fans are are disappointed in Rick, and like, I get it, but I have an unpopular opinion on the whole thing that I'll share with you. Guys on the other side, don't go anywhere it's coffee and Company or feel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I've not been able to read the entire article from Ross Ellinger of Yahoo Sports, but it's I mean, this has got to be because the SEC and the Big Ten are putting fear into everybody else because they're going to meet. They're going to you know, just flex their muscles and who knows what they're going to talk about. But they want everybody to know that, like, hey, we know we're better than all of you collectively as a duo here, we know we're superior. And look, we all know that they are as far as their value and you know, their reach and their TV contracts and all that, And I don't really know why they would benefit from moving on and doing their own thing those two together, other than maybe they could get more money, and clearly money matters in a major way, So I guess that's what it's all about. But apparently a group of investors and ex Disney executives have met with eights at thirty different power schools with a pitch, and the pitch is a none billion dollar infusion as part of a seventy school football league. And I guess, I mean, what I can't figure out is this seventy team that don't include the SEC and the Big ten. I mean, are we really that close as far as you know it being completely separated where it's Big ten SEC and then everybody else. I mean we know now that like there is a gap, like as we speak, there's a gap. But if you made it to where they are like truly different, like they're under a different umbrella, I mean that would be I mean that would I mean that'd be the first ever like legitimate split within high level college athletics, and it would all be about money. Right. I mean if you are I don't know Indiana or even Kentucky for that matter, and you only played teams from those leagues, not to say you would lose a bunch, but like it would. I mean, those are schools that need not just to play G five teams or FCS teams, but like you know, I think what you'd see there would be a drastic, a drastic falloff. I think between like there'd be the top of each of those leagues, a small group that's kind of mid and then you'd be I mean, there'd be a lot of bottom feeders. And you know, if you're making a whole lot of money, then I guess your school is feeling good, but like, good luck competing, Like what's the ceiling for those teams that aren't the elite of the elite. And by the way, the majority of each of those leagues, it's not the elite of the elite, but the big dogs just get more powerful. And I think now with the playoff and how it's set up as far as who gets in, heck, you could know that you're not a top three team in your league potentially, but if you have a really good year, you could find you could find a way in and that still has value, I think, But I don't know. I mean, I haven't seen any I mean, there's been some bullet points put out there by those that cover college football Pat forty, Ross Dellings or Bred McMurphy as far as what the Big Ten and the SEC are going to discuss. But I get the sense that this is more than anything, just like it's a flex and it really isn't necessary because everybody knows that you have you know, everybody knows you can be the bullies if you want to be the bullies, and you already have kind of been the bullies wanting to just get automatically four spots for each league in the twelve team playoff, Like it's kind of a bully move, right, because here's what it comes down to. If you fight against that, now they can say, well, okay, then we don't. We'll go do ourn thing because we don't need you. We can have our own league essentially, where it's the two power leagues joining together to basically make the NFL light. And any deal that doesn't include the SEC and the Big Ten would clearly not be as lucrative as one that did. So there wouldn't be as much money to go around for everybody. So I don't know, Man, this musical chairs when it comes to realignment, you know, playoff, expansion, all this stuff, I mean, we're not I mean, when did it really start rolling to where everything changed in college athletics? Because I kind of feel like I just blinked and it was an entirely different world, Like, I know, the same summer when we found out that the transfer portal was going to be a thing and you could make money through nil And now I kind of don't remember what college sports was like before all this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, the one thing I keep asking myself is when will the Big ten in the SEC be satisfied? Because at this point, the current state that it's at right now, you already have all of the power and maybe your ultimate goal is to be you know, too big, you know, really just one big league with two conferences? Would that be it? Or would the SEC try to consume the Big ten eventually and just be one thing or point?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, are they are they rivals?
Speaker 3: I feel like they kind of treat each other like that.
Speaker 2: I mean they I mean, it's they are direct competitors, to be honest with you, I mean, really the North and the South honest. Yeah, I mean, so I don't know, like it certainly seems like the SEC. And mostly when I say the SEC, I mean Greg Sankey, it seems like he's the one who is really you know, like this. He likes this power. He likes reminding people very subtly that the SEC is the top dog and really will call the shots and it's going to be their way and if you don't like it, then you know, better be careful because we could just leave and do our own thing and you'd be worse off without us. Like, but I don't really understand the Big Ten side of it, you know, because to be fair, the Big Ten they have I mean, just as lucrative of a TV deal, don't they, you know with Fox? Yeah, I mean, and they've got a lot of value.
Speaker 3: But they feel like they need to flex their muscle back because if not, maybe they're worried the big guns like Michigan and Ohio State will eventually maybe be poached by the SEC if they're not satisfied with the way the Big Ten fights for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And by the way, that's a really good point because you know, I'm sitting here thinking the SEC really doesn't need to exp but like if they wanted to, I mean, they probably could still. I mean, I don't know. I guess it'll depend on what happens in the next couple of years. But if you are in, if you're if you're Michigan, if you're Ohio State, if you're Penn State, if you're I mean, who else do you'd even throw.
Speaker 3: In the New West Coast? Yeah, like USC and Washington.
Speaker 2: If you went to the SEC, it would have to be because of a scenario where they got a new deal and it's worth way more than what the Big ten is getting currently and what the Big ten is expected to get on their next reup, because you already I mean, it would have to be just a money move because you don't need the Like if you're really good in the Big Ten, you can win a national championship, like, you're not at any disadvantage at all at all. I mean, again, the I think the SEC has clearly proven with accomplishments and championships that they're the superior league, but they don't have any they don't have they don't have any advantage over the Big Ten, you know what I mean, Like they the Big Ten has a stupid TV deal as well, and they've got you know, I mean, they've got resources. You're you're not going to be held back because of your conference in the Big Ten at any point, you're going to get the benefit of doubt. So I don't know why you would want to join, because, to be honest with you'd be tougher for you. So it would have to just be okay, Well, it's an opportunity we couldn't we couldn't walk away from because it's just so much money. And I think we've learned and we've I mean maybe we didn't, maybe we didn't learn it recently, maybe we've known it for a long time, but there have been some reminders along the way that really, at the end of the day, all this is about money.
Speaker 3: I just worry that it's eventually going to crumble in on itself. Maybe it won't, but again, what's the what's the end game? The end game, the the end result of all of this.
Speaker 2: They're calling it Project Rudy.
Speaker 3: Did you see that it's so stupid? Well, I mean, how much means Notre Dames involved though?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean if it's not. I just to me, you're you're you're acknowledging that like we're the little brother like right, I mean like calling it Project Rudy. Like to me, is is some some lack of self awareness or maybe you have self awareness and you're leaning into it. I don't know, but yeah, And I'm gonna try to my best to read through the write up here from Ross Ellinger because you know, it sounds like it could bring back, you know, where regions matter. You would no longer have any FCS games, which I'm all for. You could have a lot of you know, kind of one off, Wow, we randomly play Oklahoma State at home this year, you know what I mean? Like that could be interesting. But yeah, Project Rudy, I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I'll say this, if it ended up being to where the two big conferences were just trying to be their own thing, I don't know if this would happen, but I would love for Indiana to drop down and play in a league, the lower league that would be more competitive for them. Maybe that's a.
Speaker 2: Well I appreciate you saying that because I think most people are too insecure to say something like that as a fan.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, because I mean, yeah, Indiana is having a great year this year, and we don't know how it's going to end up being, but there's no way that it's.
Speaker 2: Something yeah, exactly, And I think there'd be a big because right now, you can takes. You can take advantage of the league you're in and use it against schools in the ACC or the Big twelve, right because yeah, you're you know, you're not a top three four team in your league, but you know what you are in a superior league. Therefore, you know you can flex those muscles a little bit if you're only competing against your league itself. I think that gap between the big dogs and the have nots gets bigger. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Because then the have nots in the big league will eventually realize, well, this isn't fun. We're just getting our ass feat every week.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you're recruiting at Indiana or you know, maybe Kentucky or Northwestern or Vandy, you know, from a money standpoint, like if you're paying players way more than it's different. But you know, let's be real, there's other schools that aren't in the Big that aren't in the SEC or the Big Ten, they could still find a way to use in il and you know Oklahoma State with Tibun pickens, they got more money than if they need it, they can more money than anybody. So you know, if you're a college player rather a transfer or a recruit, you know, would you want to go to a place that you know, no matter what your best case scenarios, win in four games or something. Because even if you you know, you might be an eight non win type team if you're in the you know, Project Rudy world, but in the Big Dogs, your ceiling is just not that high. So we'll see. I mean, I've really nothing's off the table right now when it comes to all this shake up with college athletics. Man, it's it's crazy, all right. You're crazy if you don't trust my friends over at the Jefferson Animal Hospital when it comes to taking care of your pets, they've been around since nineteen eighty that's forty four years, folks. They're open every day, day and night, even on holidays, that's right, even on Christmas. They're going to have a doctor on staff that is there in case of an emergency because they care about your pets. I mean, you care about your pets too, but you'll see how much they care and they do great work. And this is one of the really, really awesome partnerships that I've been a part of, to where the more I talk about it, the more I hear from people who have an experience with JEFFERSONNIM Hospital. And some of those experiences are, you know, because of something tragic happening, but the experience given the circumstance is actually great because they were appreciative of everybody at the Jefferson Animal Hospital for helping them when something bad happened with their pet or whenever it was, you know, it was that time. So they're great. They do it. They do an awesome job, and we certainly appreciate them partnering with us. Give them a call if ivo to nine hundred pets. You can visit them online at Jefferson Vets dot com. And don't forget coming up here before too long. October nineteenth, that's not that far away. They'll have their their big event, Pints for paws and people going to be from ten am to two pm at their location. You can give blood yourself to the American Red Cross. Your pets of course can potentially qualify to donate blood and be pet blood donors. And if you're unfamiliar with that, they've got demonstrations they can show you as far as how it works to kind of put you at ease. That way you know sort of how the problem sets works. But every time your pet donates blood, they could potentially save four to six lives, so obviously for a really good cause. And if you want more information on the event, go to pet bloodbank dot com. All right, we didn't get to it there. I'll save it for for a little later on the Rick Patino stuff, because you know, there's some good, some good feedback that I'm getting from the from the text line as far as a side that I hadn't really considered because I like, I I mean that when I say it, and I don't. I'm not trying to sound like you know, I'm more so in control of my emotions than you. I mean, I had a nervous breakdown when the show started today because of my vehicle. So like it's not that, but like I don't care what Rick Patino does at all, Like doesn't impact me at all. He could he could get his U of L tattoo removed from his body that he has, and get a picture of him and Mark Pope smooching. Throw Mark Stoops in there too, because their buddies, Mark Stoops, Eddie gran Mark Pope, Rick Patino just all you know, making out.
Speaker 3: What if he ran out of the tunnel with them this.
Speaker 2: Week, that'd be I mean, that'd be hilarious. I'm being honest with you, but again that I don't have any emotional connection to Rick anymore. And I don't mean, like you know, I was in love with him. I mean, whatdn't like that? Not my type. He kind of looks like a corpse. But you know, he was our guy and we had some good times and we defended him whenever he was, you know, having sex on tables and restaurants in Louisville, and the Robble was never letting us hear the end of it.
Speaker 3: We had his back.
Speaker 2: And now he's going to party with them. He's gonna be tail game with him, playing cornhole with those big blue bozos. Like I get it. It makes you feel some way, but don't let it get to you. Life goes on. But he feel about Thortons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, let's go to the text line. Five two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. If you guys would like to h to contribute to the show in any way, Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to send him in. This one came in just a moment ago. It says, Nick, maybe you should have a middle breakdown every day to start the show. I'm thinking it's one of your better shows lately, thank you. Maybe that is the plan that really opens it up, right.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people just love honesty, and when people choose to be honest over the year, maybe that just you know, hits a certain note with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad you said that because that gives me a chance to bring up something. And for those John doesn't have access to the text line, so this is not you know, he hadn't thrown me a lob here, but he kind of is without knowing it. A couple of people have kind of said that, like that's why they like the show is because they kind of feel like they know me because I'm not afraid to you know, make my you know, self deprecation works like I make fun of myself. I at times feel like I'm living an episode of Seinfeld. And it's not because I think, like I'm just you know, this gut busting, entertaining laughter, you know, producing kind of person. But you know, I've had many things that have happened in life that I've brought to the show that have probably you know, given you a laugh at my expense. But that's okay, that's part of it. But yeah, I mean there's not a whole lot that is off the table for me when it comes to my life. And you know, I know some people you should talk about sports and not not make it about you. Well, no, how about I don't.
Speaker 3: My first experience with that on my new show a few weeks ago, it's felt like that I was talking about. And it'll seasons changing in fall and then time.
Speaker 2: It will always happen. It will always happen. And with your show, you know, it's really important in my opinion, not to you know, give you advice, but like, I think it's really important for that type of show to have, you know, more of a personal connection with listeners and talk about you know, like you know, don't be afraid to briefly veer off into something that is not about who's your football or who's your basketball, because that is what're gonna that's what's gonna give you a chance to to kind of stand out and make an impression, because you know, the Internet makes it to where if you are listening to somebody, rather it be their podcast, their live YouTube, their radio show, this day and age, you know why you're listening to them because you like listening to them, because you got endless options and you could have, you know, the most informative person ever hosting a show. Most people don't rely on them talking on a show to get their info anymore. Now, if you want to share an interesting point, you know, have a hot take, go against the grain, surprise people. I mean, that's what you're supposed to do, right, Like, if people knew every day what you were going to say for three hours, they wouldn't listen. But you know, you got to be able to have some kind of a connection that's not just about Hey, he talks for an hour about the team, I like, I mean, maybe that's enough for some people, but that won't last. So you know, at times I feel like I do it a little too much, and maybe I do. But it is nice to know that some people. I mean, this sounds weird, but it's true. And I know the guys on KSR say this a lot, but it's huge in what we do. If you have people who don't really love sports that much but they still listen, like that's probably the biggest compliment you can get, because you know, the people who love this stuff that like you know, are angry about seventy percent full Cardinal Stadium at a football game, that want to, you know, give Rick Patina a piece of their mind because he's going to a Kentucky football game. Like those are people. We're good. We're gonna get those guys, you know what I mean, like no offense. Like maybe they don't. Maybe maybe there's some of them that hate this show and they listen to another show. If that's the case, and that's that's a that's a them problem. But like you know, the people who really just enjoy the banter and whatnot, and you know, the entertainment they get from it, the laughs, the stupidity, the nonsense like that, that's if you're getting you know, listeners of all different walks of life. That's I mean, that's that's a good thing. All right, So let's see here. I this okay, we got enough time. I thought it was like fifty eight. So this person wrote an earlier asking one question. They actually they got two questions. One question in a common essentially that I want to that I want to share really quickly here because I think it's a good point. One was just why is that anybody would give Donald Cheney more carries than Isaac Brown given the results? And I know people are sharing that screenshot where they each got ten carries on Saturday and one was way more productive than the other. Obviously it's Isaac Brown. And you know, Jeff has said it pretty directly that they understand he needs to get more carries, and he may have actually said it directly. You know, I don't get a chance to listen to what he says on the radio after the games because we're live on the air. And I'm sorry Jeff that you've got to compete with us, but you know that's how it is. I'm kidding, although you know as much as hearing Jeff after the game is what we want to do. You know, if you listen to Learfield, you'll get ninety percent of just ads and then they'll come back for fifteen seconds and then go to another break. But anyways, he might have said it directly, but like I think when it comes to Jeff saying, hey, the coach has got to do a better job, it's on us Isaac Brown having less carries than Donald Cheney, I think Jeff would add that to the list of things that he agrees is you know, something they got to fix and it's it's been proven. And I don't I don't mean you get rid of Donald Cheney altogether, but like I just don't think you've got an offensive line that is built or I guess maybe not built, but they're just not good enough to where Donald Cheney's gonna be like a big part of your run game because he's a guy that you know will use his size and just kind of get behind the line, maybe see a maybe see a hole and turn what could potentially be a two yard gain into four or five. But the line doesn't have that kind of push and he's not a guy that's just gonna use burst or you know, ability to just create something. I think Kewan Brown and Isaac Brown both are guys that like your best chance of getting the run to break through for a big gain would be those two guys more so than Cheney. So I don't I don't think you you know, I don't know. I was gonna say, I don't think you bench Donald Cheney. Maybe you get him out there for a short yarded situation, but man, if he's out there in the short yarded situation, our fans are gonna lose their mind because that's what's been done many times, at least the attempts, and it's just not worked. And Jeff directly said after the game Saturday, they now know they cannot just line up on fourth down and go get a yard, and you know, you learn the hard way now. The other comment that they had was about officiating and all the questionable calls. I'm not gonna tell anybody that they are incorrect and what they say about calls that went u of L's way and I have, you know, and those are actually big talking points when it comes to what has happened in the last two weeks. There were a variety of questionable calls in the Notre Dame game, but really the turnover that was then called not a turnover, that fumble that was huge and I don't I think if you call that a fumble on the ground, I go watch it, don't. I don't think it was clear that he was, that he was already down. I mean, you might be able to see that the shin was, but like I think it to me, and again, I'm clearly looking at it, maybe with a little bit of a red tinted view, because they would have been a huge play for Louisville. But I feel like that's one of those things that if you go to the rape replay, don't you don't get enough evidence visually to say that you got it wrong, so you stick with what it is, So you're right. I just for me. And again, as far as somebody who you know does a talk show about Louisville football, I probably should have mentioned the officiating more than I have. I just I know that if you tighten some things up even a little bit, then you don't then you don't have to worry about those calls. So it's not to say that, like I disagree with people who claim that officiating has been poor and it hasn't been in Louisville's favor in the last few weeks. I mean I'm with you. I mean, in fact, I'm still mad that they gave Brent Key that time out against Georgia Tech. I mean that pissed me off like crazy. So, yeah, you have had three straight games where you know you had big play, you know, you know, bad calls that did not go your way. And look, that's part of it. But you know why nobody's talking about the Brent Key timeout that could have potentially gave them a touchdown and change the game. Because Louisvevil won. They made place to where you're not thinking about that. You lose close games where you don't make big plays, then you remind it of a call that made a big impact. It's not to defend the officials. It's just you know, you're going to always, every single time out have a call that you feel like was wrong, and you're going to think it hopefull You're going to hope it doesn't come back to bite you, and you hope it doesn't end up being a big factor in the game. Well, then don't let it. Play clean football, don't make mistakes that are avoidable, and you probably don't end up thinking about the officiating all that much. All right, quick break our number five, Actually no, it's our number three, but it's the five o'clock hour, it's next, so don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company. Felbuth Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety