Speaker 1: Ever get that feeling, you know, that feeling when a book title just kind of hits you and you're like, whoa, this is the real deal. Yeah, that's how it was for me opening up offensive shell code from scratch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like almost like a guidebook for for serious hackers, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 2: Definitely? It sounds intense, intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we're not talking about just any hacker. We're talking about those those APT groups right right, the advanced persistent threat so real masters masters exactly, the ones who are like so good they can get into anything, and.
Speaker 2: They slip past all those fancy security measures we think are.
Speaker 1: So great exactly, and shell code this is this is like one of their like their secret.
Speaker 2: Weapons, right absolutely. What's wild is that shell code. It's not like some big complex program, you know, it's more like think of it like a tiny little set of instructions, okay, hidden within the software itself, just waiting to be triggered. And often they're using vulnerabilities that the creators, the software developers, had no clue or even there.
Speaker 1: So it's like a secret passageway but built right into the walls of say a.
Speaker 2: Fortress exactly, and you'd be amazed how they find these vulnerabilities something as simple as clicking a malicious link on LinkedIn, you know, disguised as a job offer.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've heard about those like that campaign back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly, that tricky stuff.
Speaker 1: It's scary how something so small, so seemingly insignificant, can have such huge consequences. The book keeps talking about how lightweight and efficient good shell code is almost like a badge of honor, you know, amongst these APT groups.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, it has to be because they're operating within the very fabric of the software you see, right, and they often have very limited space to work with. So every single line of code has to count maximum impact, minimal code. That's the name of the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get it. Efficiency is key, But when we talk about the actual damage, the real world impact, what are we talking about? What's a payload in this whole code equation?
Speaker 2: Good question. Think of it this way. You know, those messages in a bottle people throw into the ocean. The bottle itself, that's just the delivery mechanism. It's the message inside that really matters. So the shell code that's your bottle. It's expertly crafted to reach its target. But it's the payload, that message inside that actually makes something happen.
Speaker 1: So the payload could be anything from like stealing your data to taking over your entire.
Speaker 2: Computer precisely, and one of the most common ways this happens is through something called a buffer overflow attack. Imagine a box, right, and you try to force something way too big inside take a burst exactly. That's a buffer overflow in a nutshell, attackers exploit weaknesses in a program's code, making it accept more data than it can handle. This extra data, this overflow, it spills over into other areas of the system's memory, and in some cases it overwrites important data.
Speaker 1: And that's where the shell code comes in, right, hiding in that overflow, just weighing to pounce exactly.
Speaker 2: If it's done right, the shell code can actually redirect the entire flow of the program, making it run the malicious instructions that are hidden within the payload. And this is where those APT groups, those elite hackers, they really get sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the book gave an example, something about the Lazarus group.
Speaker 2: Oh right, the researchers over at Checkpoint, they discovered that this group. They used a harmless looking macro to hide a really advanced piece of shell code. Wow, and this allowed them to slip past all the typical defenses and deliver their malicious payload right under everyone's noses.
Speaker 1: That's some real spy thriller stuff right there. It makes you wonder what other tricks these guys have up their sleeves. Right, Speaking of tricks, this book it goes into all these different types of shell code. It's like a whole secret world.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, It's incredibly diverse. There's no one size fits all approach. Each type has its own unique way of exploiting a system. You know, its strengths, its weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Like what exactly is egg hunter shell code? I gotta admit it sounds kind of fun, like an Easter egg hunt in the digital.
Speaker 2: World's right, Yeah, egg Hunter? It does have a certain ring to it. Yeah, but trust me, it's not as innocent as it sounds.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not your average Easter egg hunt.
Speaker 2: Then not quite. It's actually a really clever technique. Imagine this. An attacker finds a vulnerability, but there's not a lot of room to inject their shell code.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they got to be sneaky about it exactly.
Speaker 2: They need something small, something super efficient that can then find the rest of their malicious.
Speaker 1: Code, like a scout right going ahead to secure the area before the main force arrives.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. That's your egg hunter code. It goes in first plants a unique marker the egg somewhere in the system's memory, and that then it releases this tiny piece of code that's designed to scan for that specific marker. I'm with you so far, and once it finds it, boom, it knows where to pull in the bigger, more complex shell code.
Speaker 1: So it's not about brute force, it's more about being smart using the system's own memory against itself. This book really makes you appreciate the creativity involved.
Speaker 2: In all this, oh yeah, for sure. And speaking of creative reflective DLL injection, that's another one that caught my eye. Sounds like something out of a spy.
Speaker 1: Movie, right, tell me more about this one. It sounds seriously sneaky, Oh it is.
Speaker 2: This one really shows how attackers are always adapting to get around security measures. So traditionally injecting a malicious DLL that's a dynamic link library. It's kind of like a mini program right, got injecting that into a running process. That was a pretty common way to get malicious code running.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. But I'm guessing security software caught onto that pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: You bet they did. Antivirus programs got pretty good at detecting those injected DLLs. So what did the attackers do? They upped their game with reflective DLL injection.
Speaker 1: Sounds ominous.
Speaker 2: Instead of having a separate, suspicious looking file, they started writing their malicious code directly into the target processes memory.
Speaker 1: Sneaky, so it's already inside the system, disguised as something.
Speaker 2: Harmless, exactly like smuggling something dangerous past security by making it look like it belongs there.
Speaker 1: Clever.
Speaker 2: And the key to this whole disguise act is the reflective loader.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's that? Then?
Speaker 2: It's basically this little piece of code that knows how to unpack and execute that malicious code once it's safely inside.
Speaker 1: So it's like the malicious code's own personal assistant making sure it gets in undetected.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder how much of this is going on without us even realizing it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing about cybersecurity. It's this constant cat and mouse game. Attackers find a new way in, defenders catch on, and the cycle repeats itself.
Speaker 1: And speaking of cat and mouse, what about download and execute? That sounds pretty self explanatory, but I'm guessing it's more complicated than it sounds.
Speaker 2: You got it. This one highlights how attackers bypass those security features we often take for granted. Imagine a piece of shell code, right, okay, but this shell code, it's like a tiny program and its whole job is to slip past your defenses, get into your system and download an even bigger, more malicious payload from the internet.
Speaker 1: So it's like that scout again, but this time it's lowering the drawbridge from the inside exactly.
Speaker 2: And the sneaky part is they often use legitimate Windows components to avoid detection. Wait really, yeah, the book mentioned something called Erleman dot dll.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're losing me a bit with the technical jargon.
Speaker 2: Sorry. It's basically a system library. Think of it like a set of tools that Windows uses to handle Internet downloads. Right, attackers figured out how to leverage functions within this library to download their malicious payload without raising any red flags. There's a function called url download to file for example.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm trusting you on the technical details here.
Speaker 2: The point is they're hijacking a legitimate system process.
Speaker 1: Wow. So it's like they're blending in with the crowd, making their malicious activity look like normal Internet traffic exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's what makes this whole field so challenging. It's an ongoing battle of wits.
Speaker 1: You've said it before, but it's worth repeating. Understand and how these attacks work. That's the first step to protecting ourselves, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, knowledge is power. The more we know about these tactics, the better equipped we are to defend against them.
Speaker 1: Right, Because cybersecurity isn't just about strong passwords anymore. It's about understanding this whole complex world of attack and defense.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have said it better myself. And thankfully the book doesn't just leave us hanging with all this scary attack stuff. It also goes into countermeasures, those defenses that are being developed to stop these attacks in their tracks.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me more about those. How do you even begin to defend again, something as sneaky and sophisticated as shell code.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good thing, right, because it can get kind of overwhelming thinking about all the ways they can get in. But I'm glad someone's out there building those defenses.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, And trust me, for every attack out there, there's a whole team of people working on ways to stop it. The book dives into three main countermeasures, ASLR, deep, and stack cookies.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's break those down. Then. What is ASLR all about? The book made it sound like, I don't know, like shuffling a deck of cards or something to confuse the attacker.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good analogy actually. ASLR stands for address space layout randomization. Basically, it shuffles around the locations of important data in your computer's memory. So instead of finding that data at a predictable address, the attacker is left guessing. So their malicious code it could end up pointing at like the wrong address, causing a system crash. Instead of doing what they.
Speaker 2: Want exactly, it throws a wrench in their plans, makes it way harder to exploit those vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. What about DP sounds pretty serious.
Speaker 2: It is dep data execution prevention. That's like putting up keep out signs around certain areas of your computer's memory.
Speaker 1: So even if an attacker does manage to get their code in, they can't actually run it in those protected areas.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like breaking into a house but then finding out you can't turn on the lights or use the kitchen.
Speaker 1: You're stuck. I like it. And then there's stack cookie that sounds almost delicious, but something tells me it's.
Speaker 2: Not definitely not as tasty as they sound. Think of stack cookies like hidden alarms, strategically placed to detect if someone's messing with the system's memory.
Speaker 1: So it's like a way for the system to say, hey, someone's trying to break in here.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's all about early detection.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating stuff. But even with all these defenses, it sounds like the attackers are always finding new ways to, I don't know, to up their game. The book mentioned something called ROP return oriented programming, and it sounds like that's one way they can bypass even those clever countermeasures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, right, ROP is a whole other level of sneaky how attackers can get around things like dep that keep out system we talked about. Imagine imagine an attacker who wants to build a specific, I don't know, a contraption, but they've only got a limited set of lego blocks. Okay, so instead of building it from scratch, they got to get creative, right, find new ways to combine those limited pieces to get what they want.
Speaker 1: Rop's like, what repurposing existing code? Yeah, kind of like finding a new use for those legos exactly.
Speaker 2: With ROP, attackers use these existing code snippets. They're called gadgets, and each one performs a small, specific action. By chaining these gadgets together in just the right way, they can actually manipulate the program bypass those dep restrictions and execute their own code.
Speaker 1: It's like they're picking the lock on those keep out signs exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a constant back and forth, always trying to outsmart each other.
Speaker 1: Wow. This entire deep dive into offensive shell code from scratch has been eye opening, to say the least. It's like taking a crash course in the world of I don't know, like digital espionage or something.
Speaker 2: It really gives you a new perspective, doesn't it. And the thing is this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: There's always more to learn.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, this field is constantly evolving, so staying ahead of the curve is crucial.
Speaker 1: Well said, and hey, who knows, maybe one of our listeners will be the next cybersecurity expert to develop a groundbreaking countermeasure. But until then, it's about staying informed, staying vigilant.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more knowledge is power, folks.
Speaker 1: And on that note, we'll wrap up this deep dive into the world of offensive shell code. Thanks for joining us, and we'll see you in the next one.