Speaker 1: Author's Playhouse. There's a part in Henry d. Pretend you're the girl. You're watching the King. You've heard ugly things of me.
Speaker 2: You've heard I'm cruel and treacherous and middle aged. Not what's to look after, you see. But in your simplicity you've seen deeper than all this I have. You've seen that I'm thoughted, unhappy, a great man who can trust no one just because he's great, who isn't sure he'll ever find out what real love means, who's always hunting for it more and more desperately. Greatness all too often waives a background of loneliness. Such was the case of this man, Robert No, who is acting all England paid homage. Author's Playhouse presents I A. R. Wiley's poignant story command performance.
Speaker 3: Say that's say my man or my act upon tailor apartment.
Speaker 4: Read all about Robert No, Piper, mister yeah boy, thank you Government, Piper that stray Piper.
Speaker 5: Robert No, former actor found dead an apartment. Stage manager Norton blames alcoholism.
Speaker 6: Robert No.
Speaker 5: I say it's too bad about him, but he almost made the top. He did almost. Now Ben Norton his enemy right in the story, Come on performance? Where is he no about it? Not in the stage manager couldn't see beyond his own miserable life. There were others like him. Isabel Isabella shopped, she saw in Knowles's perfection.
Speaker 3: And she hated him for it.
Speaker 5: Fred who took her words for truth because he had no head of his own to do his thinking. And Jenny, Jenny, who could have done so much good, cost so much bad, almost without knowing it, who could have written Knowles's life story? Oh but Robert himself, this story here in the paper is not the truth. But I was staged doldwn of his theater. I remember one night, about a year ago, when a urse.
Speaker 7: Who was going.
Speaker 8: I desire you do me right.
Speaker 7: And justice for heaven.
Speaker 4: They chose and proper feeling girl in this play. I'm supposed to be the King of England.
Speaker 9: I'm the bottle.
Speaker 4: Rid myself of a worthy thought, tiresome wife and take a new one. But I've still got my eyes in my head. You're a pretty piece I'm bowling. Isn't going to last forever, and you know it. You might be the next in line. We'll show you know it. Don't just read lines, leave your part hold on, give her a chance.
Speaker 7: She's a new one.
Speaker 4: No, you are not not and this has got to be right. You're a stage manager, you know that.
Speaker 6: I think I understand, Sir hard try again.
Speaker 4: And you, Isabel, You're to break for a moment inwardly you're supposed to feel what's going to happen and where the place is fred here I am just remember faith, you're supposed to be a great cardinal. Don't behave like a toughennyhay off this pie. You'll take our lives to take make it good this time?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: Everyone, pleas.
Speaker 5: Come man coming if you give him an a chance.
Speaker 10: Oh hello, inspector, Hello, so wonder you recognize me? And all this airfol it's thick enough to cut into piece as it is.
Speaker 5: The brave man you want to be hurt in a night like this, coming coming come in just a nice for ghosts to tell the truth. It wouldn't surprise me if there was. It goes to do around this way.
Speaker 3: The heck is still had toy. You can't keep.
Speaker 5: Acting poke out of the theater no matter what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've all seen a lot of them.
Speaker 5: Henry Irving Ellen. Terry didn't live well bet they'd be poking around somewhere on a spooky.
Speaker 10: Night like this.
Speaker 5: How's the ply going when his majesty now begins his honor? And it's a good say.
Speaker 3: Where you'll be having another these first night.
Speaker 1: Be thu afore long, and.
Speaker 10: The traffic will be all tied up in knots again. Sometimes I wish they'd put me back in the nice quite suburb.
Speaker 5: Not you inspector get your past to reply one of your off nights. Always it will be just like it used to be. I saw Bilbone Tree and this here Robert Nole walks right alongside of him, So I'll be seeing.
Speaker 10: Him with the eight he with the eight wives. Everyone help him. I've got one.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is a Robert Knowle. He isn't and he is he no, And it's said to.
Speaker 5: Noel lives in a lonely world. Inspector.
Speaker 3: From what they tell me, he's made it lovely for hisself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure hear that talk. Take my word for it. It's not true. There's a heart of golden Robert No, but very few have ever given him reason to show it. Most of them around here write him for his success.
Speaker 10: Hey, maybe this pray would be the one to make the command performance for now.
Speaker 5: It might indeed, Inspector, it might indeed.
Speaker 3: Well see you soon. Keep your door locked, can't tell who you can walk in.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about me, Inspector. I can handle myself. I beg your pardon, blame me, scared the living daylights hurt of me.
Speaker 7: Miss I'm sorry if I start with you. But is rehearsal over?
Speaker 8: Do you know if mister Knowles disengaged?
Speaker 5: He he's busy. Mister Knowle is just cutting off his wife said, you know him personally, only to.
Speaker 7: Look at him. But I've got to see him.
Speaker 5: I wait, I wouldn't. Once mister Knowle starts cutting off heads, he never knows where to stop. You cut off your head as soon as look at you, especially if you haven't got an appointment, and I'll wager you haven't.
Speaker 8: You don't understand.
Speaker 5: I understand all right. I haven't been on the stage door for my own twenty years for nothing. You want to be an actress, don't you?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 5: And you think if only mister nor would hear you're a sad direct of the esperers, he'd make you his leading lady.
Speaker 8: I don't know the wreck of the hispory.
Speaker 5: Well, whatever it is, he won't listen to you, and if he did, it wouldn't help a pretty young thing.
Speaker 9: But you can't act.
Speaker 7: That isn't true.
Speaker 8: How do you know what I can do?
Speaker 5: Because if you were a real actress, you'd have got yourself inside that theater. No matter what anyone said or did, their means a foul, as the saying goes, you run our home and be a good girl and get married and settled down. But I don't come on, that's your good girl, that your girl? Oh but hurt you girl? What your step?
Speaker 1: Miss?
Speaker 5: Why don't you try catching him as he leaves the theater through for the day? Ladies and gentlemen, wasn't soon enough for me?
Speaker 11: You laugh?
Speaker 3: Said miland Isabelle.
Speaker 2: I'll wait you ten to one before the next year's out. That rotter will be Sir Robert No, and then we'll have him.
Speaker 1: At the top of the profession.
Speaker 6: I'll give you boys another tender one wager by hook or crook.
Speaker 7: Sir Bibam will.
Speaker 6: Be moved out of his niche there on the wall, and we'll have our Sir Robert, bigger and better, hanging in his place.
Speaker 5: The venom clamors of a jealous woman poisons more deadly than the mad Dog's tooth Shakespeare, My dear, comedy of.
Speaker 6: Errors in saying that I'm jealous prop joy? Did you buy any chance? Notice that he looked up at the Royal Box. He was seeing things, my DearS, A command performance and then birthday honors.
Speaker 8: Just did you say, Betty?
Speaker 6: We'll have to say sir Robert every time we look at him, Sir Robert. Indeed rottle, but such a clever rotter. Did you notice that new bit of byplay with the girl's hand. It's just a touch, but it's good, and before he's done with it, he'll have everyone be leaving its great.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a story, a good story. I got it from Naughton, who is usually a tight mouthed customer. You know, the yarn about his being the son of a naval sea captain and away from sea to become an actor, being cut off at the paternal shilling, and all that.
Speaker 8: Come on, where's the joke.
Speaker 2: The truth, my dear Isabelle, is that his father was a clown in a circus, and our Robert began life as a baby clown, used to do conjuring tricks and turn handsprings, ju Cho, they build him you.
Speaker 5: Choo, why you too by glide him his lime light. I don't know anyway, I'd keep it to myself.
Speaker 1: Folks, don't worry. We know when to keep our mouth shut.
Speaker 9: Old boy No.
Speaker 8: Has the vanity of a peacock. It's sort of pathetic in a way.
Speaker 6: The greatest living actor on the English stage and not one woman to love him. You know that's one of the things he's looking for in this life, a woman to love him.
Speaker 2: It can't be done, no matter how hard he's struck.
Speaker 8: You're right, it can't. I'm a woman and I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Telling them what Miss Keane.
Speaker 8: Oh nothing, sir.
Speaker 2: I was just never mind. You're not on stage. You needn't answer me. Bob Joy is my car out from afraid.
Speaker 5: You've got to walk it, sir. It's your full telephoned. He said this fog was your bad. He couldn't even see thead nights.
Speaker 1: I prefer to walk tonight and I can see my way in the dark like a cat. Yes, sir, good night, sure, good night. Father to him. Oh, I'm steady the bus. It's all right.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry you can't see a thing in this farther.
Speaker 1: Let me help you. Where are you going or trying to go?
Speaker 8: Nowhere? I was just standing still, waiting for.
Speaker 1: What a bus? That would have been like waiting for a miracle.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was like waiting for an You must.
Speaker 1: Have been coming from somewhere.
Speaker 7: I was coming from the theater.
Speaker 1: The Imperial.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you're an actress?
Speaker 7: Oh no, just trying.
Speaker 8: The old man at the stage door said, I couldn't.
Speaker 9: See why not.
Speaker 1: You're a pretty voice, and.
Speaker 6: I am pretty. That isn't conceit. One must know a thing like that. But I guess being pretty isn't enough.
Speaker 2: Is it.
Speaker 1: It's a great deal.
Speaker 8: I tried to see Robert Knowle.
Speaker 7: I thought he'd help me.
Speaker 1: Do you know him?
Speaker 7: Then? Yes?
Speaker 8: But he doesn't know me.
Speaker 6: I've been to every play he's acted in. I mean since I've been grown up. Lots of times. I've even gone without food to see him.
Speaker 2: That's the sort of thing one does for friends. You ought to know that he has a friend like that.
Speaker 8: He must have so many. He's such a great man.
Speaker 2: Greatness doesn't bring one friends. Why should you think he'd help you?
Speaker 6: Because he must have had a hard time too, how he would understand, I'd feel it. He's kind and and generous.
Speaker 1: That's not what they say of him.
Speaker 8: I don't care what people say. They're jealous. I know him better. You see, I've watched him.
Speaker 6: And if you go without things for someone, you sort of see deep into them.
Speaker 8: You you've well, you get to love them.
Speaker 6: That sounds all silly, like a stage struck schoolgirl raving about her matinee hero.
Speaker 8: But I don't care.
Speaker 1: You mean you do? Might I see you save home?
Speaker 7: Miss You can't. I haven't got a home.
Speaker 9: That's silly.
Speaker 1: One there has to have a roof over one's head. It's a must.
Speaker 6: Not if you can't pay the rent, missus Stokes said, I'd have to pay or stay out, and I.
Speaker 7: Own off lot.
Speaker 8: I'm a stupid dreamer, I guess.
Speaker 6: So I spent my last penny on a bus fare on my last hope.
Speaker 8: Isn't that funny?
Speaker 1: What's your name?
Speaker 8: Jenny? Jenny Rawlings?
Speaker 2: Jenny Rowlings? That's pretty? Did you look well in the theater lights?
Speaker 9: It never will.
Speaker 2: You can't be sure. Wonderful things can happen, especially in.
Speaker 7: Fogs, not to me.
Speaker 2: They can't suppose you took a chance. Suppose you trusted a perfect stranger, Miss Rollings.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm sorry. You must have misunderstood me. I wasn't begging, don't you see?
Speaker 8: It was the fog.
Speaker 7: And look it's even lifting now.
Speaker 6: It was like talking to myself. Why I said things I wouldn't have said to anyone. I didn't mean to pour out my heart.
Speaker 1: To you, not even too Robert, no, least of all to him.
Speaker 6: I could never say, mister, No, you're great and good and I love you.
Speaker 1: No, you're making fun of me.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I what's the matter, Jenny?
Speaker 8: I can see now you're you're.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wonderful things do happen in fogs, as I said, even to a little miss Jenny. Are you hungry? Jenny?
Speaker 7: Don't make it smell too good? I couldn't wait.
Speaker 2: What would you say to Zoufley it's my specialty wonderful cocktail?
Speaker 7: Well, I no.
Speaker 2: Great, I don't touch the steps. Perhaps I'm afraid of it, afraid you know they say all actors are easy on sum accounts. My father drank himself to death. He was a clown. He didn't want to be to play Hamlet. All clowns do, so it broke his heart.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I I was his last hope.
Speaker 2: But at my command performance, well, I'll imagine him standing in the wings saying, well done, Robbie, well done.
Speaker 7: Will there be a command performance?
Speaker 2: There has to be, you know, Jenny, I've never told anyone all that before.
Speaker 1: It must have been a magical sort of fogg.
Speaker 7: You're magical.
Speaker 8: Why are you so kind to me?
Speaker 1: One good turn deserves another. You were kind to me, I was.
Speaker 7: Could I be kind to you?
Speaker 1: I hope so?
Speaker 8: I mean, well, I'm nobody.
Speaker 1: What could I do to begin with?
Speaker 2: You could eat my soufet before it falls flat. It's not used to being kept waiting, and don't talk. Then we'll have pesh flam day allah no, and real coffee. I'll wait till your landlady doesn't make.
Speaker 6: Real coffee, Bye says she doesn't make coffee of any sort.
Speaker 8: Who's by just one of the borders? A young American?
Speaker 7: He dances at the Palladium by Heck the Hoofer.
Speaker 1: They dail him to be Frank.
Speaker 2: I don't like young Americans, but I can't dance much, but I can do other things.
Speaker 8: You are nice.
Speaker 2: I've just remembered there's a part in Henry the Eighth. It's it's something just created. It's a girl's part. She's one of the Queen's retinue, a simple, lovely girl. Stand up a moment, Jenny, Pretend you're the girl. Now you're watching him in the great scene where Catherine pleads with the King. You've heard ugly things of me. You've heard I'm cruel and treacherous and and middle aged, not much to look after, you see. But in your simplicity you've seen deeper than all this I have. You've seen that I'm thwarted and unhappy, a great man who can trust no one just because he's great, who isn't sure he'll ever find out what real love means, but who's always hunting for it more and more desperately. And suddenly it's as though I feel your understanding.
Speaker 1: Your pity.
Speaker 2: I stop beside you, and hand idly as I might pick up a trinket, and taking your hand as important, because there are eyes meet yes, and in mine you see your future. That one day'll be your turn with me. But I shall pour jewels and power into your little hands, and I shall be wondering if one day I shall corrupt you like the rest with my gifts and if you will fail.
Speaker 7: Me too, don't don't I say anything, mister Nell. Don't I say anything? No, you just acted, mister No, how can I ever thank you?
Speaker 1: Don't cry, my dear.
Speaker 2: It's a bit of a miracle for me to finding you out there in the dark.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you about it someday.
Speaker 2: But no, my dear, I just want to make you laugh and then send you home with a week salary in advance.
Speaker 6: Take your time with Breakfast series. Too much stepping is not good for your figures.
Speaker 10: Taking inventory missus jokes so early in the morning too.
Speaker 8: My John manace. Anyone seen Jenny do that?
Speaker 6: But her breakfast is getting cold?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 7: Come in.
Speaker 8: Hello by Jenny Rawlings.
Speaker 12: If I didn't know you for a godfearing citizen, I'd say you'd been drinking.
Speaker 7: I have been drinking, only this time it was nectar.
Speaker 9: Come out of a Jenny, Come clean. You've been up to something. Hi? U missed your last night at supper? Where for Pete's sake have you been.
Speaker 6: On the streets homeless, starving waife looking for a job for the last time?
Speaker 9: Are you a little idiot? If you were broke? Why didn't you tell me? Are we friends? Aren't we something more? Aren't we darling?
Speaker 7: Please? I wasn't broke, not quite, but I had to make my own way on my own.
Speaker 9: Two foods you can't, Jenny, weren't made for it.
Speaker 12: Here's something someone should take care of me, For instance, all this bug about acting.
Speaker 9: You're no actress, you never will be.
Speaker 6: That's what the stage doing then told me. He said, if you could act, you'd act. So I went right out into the fog and acted. I acted the part of a poor little lost girl who runs into the great.
Speaker 7: Kind actor quite by accident. The fog is so thick she doesn't recognize him, so.
Speaker 6: She's able to tell him how wonderful he is.
Speaker 7: It was a magnificent job. You sail for a darling.
Speaker 9: He fell flat, you little devil. What a dirty trick, But.
Speaker 6: That's what the stage man told me. Sayah means a foul. Perhaps it was a bit foul, but it didn't do any harm, did it.
Speaker 12: No, he's probably just head over heels in love with you, and he sounds like a pretty square guy to me.
Speaker 7: Oh bye, he'd never fall in love with me. Why it's old enough to be my father?
Speaker 9: Is he you listen to me, You're gonna marry me, Jenny.
Speaker 8: Stop you're hurting my art.
Speaker 9: I love you, Jenny.
Speaker 12: Just give me a year on Broadway, sweetheart, and I'll settle down on a farm with cows and kids.
Speaker 8: You never would buy.
Speaker 6: I don't know much about American hoofers, but I waited they dance at their own funeral.
Speaker 7: Come on, setch me down to breakfast.
Speaker 4: Everyone on safe, Be quiet, please, I've an announcer to me. This is miss Raleigh, Miss Jenny Rawlings. She's joined our company.
Speaker 7: He's fallen.
Speaker 1: Fred.
Speaker 8: See the way he looks at her.
Speaker 6: He thinks he's found the love of his life. Debt and a command performance would make me reading pussy.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, good looker, probably can't act a tuppence.
Speaker 1: What a ride she's taking him for?
Speaker 8: Perhaps to the church door, darling.
Speaker 9: Don't be silly.
Speaker 2: She's in the twenties, he's miss forties and no glamor boy at that. There's something our Robbie can't get away with our little scenemental But big darling, you could hear a kin drop.
Speaker 7: I was so excited.
Speaker 8: I guess I'll never get used to a big.
Speaker 2: Hoardian if you won't have to worry about that anymore. Jenny, remember what we talked over last night.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, my dear Jenny.
Speaker 1: I want the world to know the world.
Speaker 13: Yes, right now, pop Joy, Isabelle said, come here, Robert, we make a seen of it second way or too later when the season's over in book established you with your command performance, Branson.
Speaker 1: And nonsense, it's too good to wait.
Speaker 7: What's all this whispering about.
Speaker 2: We just wanted you to know that in a few days, my Jenny will be missus, Robert.
Speaker 6: No, take your claton course, Robert.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna along announce to you tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, dear, but that was my last call.
Speaker 2: Well, we're through for the night, ladies and gentlemen tomorrow at nine.
Speaker 5: Sorry to bother you, sir, but I almost forgot this special message came for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, pop Joy. Give it here. Listen to this. We have just had a message from the Lord Chamberlain.
Speaker 2: Their majesties will be present tomorrow night at the command performance.
Speaker 12: Just a moment, please, Hi, came in a congratulate you. I read about tonight's command performance in the papers. You're in the case, aren't you.
Speaker 6: It's a matter Jenny, you're all, Oh by, what's the use of fooling myself?
Speaker 7: Why I can't act?
Speaker 8: And everyone knows it.
Speaker 7: He knows it too. Oh bye, I've overplayed my act.
Speaker 6: I've made such a mess of of things for him, for me.
Speaker 7: By marry me?
Speaker 9: Eh? Aren't you getting your love life a little mixed?
Speaker 7: But Robert means nothing to me.
Speaker 6: He was just a means of getting somewhere, And now that I've reached there, I don't want it.
Speaker 7: I'll even quit right now. What's the matter? Don't you love me?
Speaker 9: Of course? Of course?
Speaker 12: But isn't that playing a mean trick on him? That command performance? It must mean everything to know all he's counting on you.
Speaker 6: Well, then I won't let on tonight. By afterwards, let's not talk about it anymore. Come on, I've got the afternoon. You can buy me a ring, That's what you can do.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 2: The first act went on jolly well, notting.
Speaker 7: I say, what's holding up.
Speaker 9: The curtain for the next act? Why has Nolan on stage for Q? And I'm going to find out?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 9: Stand by?
Speaker 2: Will you freddie?
Speaker 9: Right o? Along? The double? Know?
Speaker 5: Noel?
Speaker 9: Are you there? No Noel? Whatever?
Speaker 1: And Jenny what's wrong with you two?
Speaker 4: You've been due on stage for the last three minutes.
Speaker 1: No, Jenny, Jenny, how could you do this? How could you?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: Robert, I'm terribly sorry you had to be this way?
Speaker 1: Jenny?
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 1: Was it a game all alone?
Speaker 9: At first?
Speaker 7: Robert? At first? But it got beyond me.
Speaker 8: I never meant to hurt you.
Speaker 2: What is all this?
Speaker 7: Robert? You're on?
Speaker 9: Good bye, goodbye, Robert. You can't run out.
Speaker 3: It's the command performance.
Speaker 7: Oh, mister Norton, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 9: Oh what happened? Jenny? What have you done to him?
Speaker 6: When he came in here and took my hand? I had forgotten to take off my wedding ring. I was married to someone else this afternoon, My.
Speaker 11: Man, No wrong, you have heard I A. R.
Speaker 1: Wiley's story.
Speaker 2: Command Performance, directed by Homer Heck. William Everett, was heard as Robert knowle Lorette Phil Grant has Jenny. The musical score was conducted by Joseph Calichio. Next week, same time, same station, Author's Playhouse will bring You Joseph Harrington's absorbing story of a woman's untold testimony at a murder trial, The Silent Witness. This is the national broadcasting compan