Speaker 1: Brand new sponsor on FTP. We have Bighorn Golfer dot Com and want to suck less at golf. Gets yourself a full swing kit launch monitor. Don't take it from me, I'm not on tour anymore. Take it from the goat Tiger Woods. He put his name on it, so you know it's got to be the shit. While you're there, check out their top of the line of electric pushcarts to my country clubbers. Make the boys at the club jealous. Get your ass on one of those badass golf scooters. They sell hunting bikes too. It is a perfect FTP fit. That's Bighorn Golfer dot Com.
Speaker 2: Here I come again on the FTP. The for the people. Somehow these two yay who's convinced me to come on here even though they both turned me down to come to Texas Tech.
Speaker 1: And we can't let that happen. We just can't let that happen on this podcast because we are for the people.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day. The guy's a hell of a player beyond nails.
Speaker 1: That is the hardest part three of the pjjorgan It's a hybrid three iron or four iron. Every day it's.
Speaker 3: For the people. You're the last group off off a split t horseshoe on number ten and you do a happy gill more. What the hell's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, we have Greg Sands on FDP. Today's co host co host season over here. Greg Sands probably one of the best Division one golf coaches to ever do it. Hall of famer. He's got fort worthrees, He's now in Lubbock, does not want to leave obviously, just signed a seven year deal extension over there in Lubbock, has the number one, two, three, four something like that team in the country right now. But he joins us on FTP, making his FTP debut. Coach Sands, Hey, good Peter, how are you doing man?
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Was any of that accurate? Was any of that accurate that he just said?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he covered his bases one through four actually not Fort Worth, but I obviously went to school there, but damn it, I'm going to see, you know, East Texas guy and been seven years before, so we'll give him credit for that. But ununderstandable, that's where I recruited him. So that's where he remembers me from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. That was That was you know, I would have been a Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: I would have.
Speaker 1: I would have if the hotel room that we were staying in on my official visit was not covered in roaches. Dude, my mom. My mom couldn't handle it. She was like, all right, you know one roach is fine. Twelve twelve Uh huh, you're not. You're not going to Texas Tech. I was like, that's not your decision, but I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to blame that on Marty McCauley. But because he told me it was done, you verbally committed, and I was like, what the heck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going.
Speaker 2: I hope it was an unofficial visit because if we were in control of that that hotel, then that's that's on us.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Actually, oh man, Pete still loves Texas Tech. PD cheers for Tech against TCU every single time.
Speaker 1: Like that's true.
Speaker 3: I know they're not his one because he's an LSU. I mean, just freaking blinded by the LSU sec buy. But like they're a they're a firm number two, like well, well on a pedestal number two, which is which is good? He love he loved it was, well you were beatasy, so younger Ralls was there like when I when I was in high school. Was true, there was no that was a big deal man hidden hidden uh kidden Slingers at meadow Brook was just that was a tough way to That was a tough way to do it.
Speaker 1: Meadow Brook was that was a cowpad. He wasn't man. We had regionals. We had regionals at meadow Brook my freshman year at Paschal and I remember Franklin Corporating was playing. We had a bunch of good guys on our team, but I was I asked coach. I tried with Tramps Wilson was my coach pa I was like, Travis, is this where tech plays? He's like yeah, but they have this badass place opening up down the road and sure Ship, like two years later the Raws Courts opened up and they moved regionals to there. But that was back when y'all. Y'all didn't even have a clubhouse. It was in a trailer, like we were. We were eating in a trailer for years that that trailer was was there for what ten?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was there from o Ford and like twenty ten we were in that that triple wide. We spent all of our money on the golf course and had to reload for the reloading for the clubhouse. But yeah, it was They had had some great food there. I think the food was better in the ould triple wide. Something was in the grease out there. It was great.
Speaker 1: So now you'll have a sick facility, though, you'll have a I mean, just like everyone that contends for national championships and men's golf. I mean, you see these facilities these kids practice at nowadays, and they're they're better than country clubs, a lot of them. So when did that get built? And like how big is it? What have you gotten there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've kind of, you know, keep we keep adding on a little bit here and there. Like I said, the course was four and then then we got the clubhouse and team facility, which is two separate buildings of twenty ten and that's when the short game area was here. But we've done some renovations to that and then we just got finished with renovating our driving range and and doing a few things there. So yeah, I just kind of try to keep keeping up with the Jones and so to speak. It's a lot of great facilities out there, and and I feel like we probably need to do a few more things, to be honest, but the golf course has been great for us. I mean, obviously we we get to have the shore game area have a lot of development there, and then just having a place that we can get on whenever we want to is gold.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's good, King Collins. The architects of the Red Feather, they kind of, you guys, revamped the driving range a little bit too, target area and stuff like that. So they few new targets and it's it's awesome, man. You guys have you guys have a good setup. It seems like they redid the practice area too, like in the last year or so, right, right, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we built a new putting green, a really big putting green that you do a lot of chipping, elevated pitches. And then, like you said, King Collins, uh reshaped part of half of our driving range with is ours and this is a really cool feature, six or seven greens. They tilted some of it back towards the front of the range and then also added a south team if we want to hit from a north wind, which comes in handy on some of the cooler days where we get a north wind. So that's been it's been great. We have a few hitting bays there too if we need to get out of the elements. But yeah, it's been. It's been. Uh you know really it's the one thing that's probably got our program from a top thirty program to be even better. So you have to give a lot of credit to Jerry Rawls and a lot of the donors who have bought into helping us keep moving this thing forward. Clay Cash has been as you got to say, nails on h Yeah. Him, he's been an incredible benefactor. After we built this golf course, he's he's continued to contribute, not only helping out with the agga that we have out here and getting some young talent out here so they can see see the golf course. And so yeah, we kind of parlayed everything into successful program.
Speaker 1: Do you think that a facility like y'all's when you bring a recruit in and they see, I don't know how big it's got to be three four or five six thousand square feet where it's just the guys. I don't know if they have their own keys or a touchscreen or a thumbprint that they get in, but they feel like it's theirs that they can go and not be bothered by anyone. They can practice, do their homework, hangout, do whatever they want. They have a place to go. Like how important to recruiting is something like that for these high school kids coming in to look at Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's huge. I mean I feel like that Texas Tech is and the administration Athletic administration has been great to to, you know, help us make it feel like this is ours. I mean, guys can go go do their workout in the morning and show up in their workout shorts and T shirt, go in our short game area and not feel like they've got to you know, go put on collared shirt and things that you need to do at nice places, and you know, just that feeling alone coming in here. They can do some study and they can go back out. And I remember back when I first started coaching, I remember kind of stuck in my mind when I went to Oklahoma State Facility. I was a camper there and helped out there, and I saw some of those guys Chris Tidlin back in the day and those guys that have their shirts off hitting balls, getting the sun Tannage kinds stuck in my mind. But you know, nothing says ownership when you just get to strip the shirt off and hits the GoF wall so right. You know, that's a big thing for these kids. They want to they want to have access, you know, they want to feel like they can go do the do you and so many of these kids that they want to practice four or five, six seven hours a day and they can here, Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Can, they can do whatever that Kaleid, when's the last time you practiced four or five six hours.
Speaker 3: I was a practice. I was a big time practicer, like when I was playing full time because I figured like I would just practice my way out of sucking when I wasn't playing good. But but now, dude, the kids are so good now too. It's just the tech. Like we've talked about it before on this like Forget track Man and things like this. But there's there's certain things you can look at when you're like playing well, certain numbers and almost know what you have to get back to. Obviously there's video and stuff like that and you have to know how to or but like coach Sands will tell you, like sixteen year olds an now are better than they were fifteen twenty years ago whenever like you got your start, they like they just are. I remember when ty Tryon made the cut as like a sixteen or seventeen year old in a PGA tour event, and I think like Calloween Target paid him like ten million dollars, Like it was the craziest shit anybody's ever seen in their life. And now it's like people would be like go back to go back to get your driver's license, like nice to claim this week. But whatever, It's like there's there's one hundred kids that could do that if they got into it, into a tour event. So it's changed. It's changed a lot.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, practice seven hours. I don't know, I could tell I can I know you have probably never done that, Beaty. Maybe maybe cumulutive addition for a whole week, you might have practiced seven hours. I don't know, but that's that's a lot. Coach, what do you guys, because you were at you obviously you know, you were assistant at TCU, then came over to Tech and it actually listened to Montagel did a pod with Coach McGraw and Baylor. It's pretty good. Monica was like send it to me. I was like, oh, coach, you know how to attach a leak. That's prettyous, man, that's awesome. So I listened to it. It was it was really good. But he had talked about you in there. He actually like my freshman year. Actually, Alan Bratton was the assistant, so he had like a nice little role really only for a semester. I didn't know that he was in no man's land. He like had no status playing anywhere. He's like, maybe I'll get into coaching. He was doing Monday qualifiers. You know how bad those suck? And yeah, he was my whole freshman year. There was only six guys on the team, and so I like I hung out with him every day, and you know he's smarter whatever. But yeah, he had a good he had a good little run. But so Montaguil kind of like you said, he went to the Oklahoma State camp because he's like, holders, Holder is the best we're gonna go on. He does blah because he's a basketball coach. He didn't know what he was doing. He's like, what's qualifying it? Because we read five guys to a tournament, blah blah blah. He had no idea, But it's you know he was telling the whole story. He was like, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Well he was genius. You know, he had Dana bel genius. Yeah, and so I'll give him credit. You know, he found the places he needed some help, and he went down the great people. I mean, he's had Johnson Johnson Claire over the years helping those guys develop their metal game different Dana Ballander. I mean, of course it helps being in the metroplext with a lot of good, good resources. But you got to give him credit. And I'm and I'm one of them. I was just begging him to get into profession. I was like, I just happened to just played for him, very little played for him, and just like, hey, I think I want to coach. That's what I've always wanted to do. Can I shuffle some papers and types of emails for you? Because he wasn't proficient with that kind of stuff. He's like, yeah, sure, coach, come on over here.
Speaker 1: So dude, everybody's impressions of Bill Montague are all the same. It's like when you in person, yeah they do, everyone loves it. But when you impersonate somebody usually there's some sort of variance there. But Everyone's like, oh yeah, Bill talking like this. Everyone does it, everyone does the same ship. It's like, yeah, that's exactly how he is.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: But no, he is What a legend. What a legend going out and going out in May? What's dude? I wanted to know how big the NIL things are college golf? Right, is there any nil stuff going on? I know these kids have been getting equipment forever. I mean I got equipment, Clean got equipment, but we'd never got any money. Like you've got the best player in the world or one of them?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is is he getting? Is loved getting paid too?
Speaker 2: On the n I L side, you know that obviously the agents are all over him, have been all over him, and and he can't sign, you know yet, but he can sign in the n I L space, and he has with UH with Wasserman in the NIL space. And of course they did a bang up job of getting them some deals. And you know, we thought that that international kids couldn't get money, but they were smart enough to figure out, Hey, if he goes and plays some things over overseas, then then that found some loopholes and he's getting He's getting a pretty good deal. I don't want to tell you what it is, but I guarantee it's the best thing going. And and uh uh, you know, he he really really likes Nike clothing, but Adidas Adidas uh is the one that that has given him some nil money. And I would say they based on what, you know, what they've done, they may have caught up there to where it's going to be a you know, a tough decision for him when when he does that term pro. But he's got a little bit from them, and and uh, a little bit from from another club company. Maybe I shouldn't have said Adidas on there with under our school, but the point being is that they've definitely entered this. Yeah, then we have one other kid that's or two or three other kids are getting some small things that kind of happened organically back in their hometowns or you know, different things like that. It hasn't quite come into it. I mean I've heard about things specifically maybe SEC and a couple of things. I know that that some kids are getting some things from a collective. I think we have one guy getting getting something for collective and on our team. So it's starting to enter into the collective space where it almost feels like some of these coaches are recruiting with that, even though technically we can.
Speaker 1: M yeah, that was gonna be My next question is I know that the deal can't get they can't be associated with the school, but it's almost impossible to not have them associated with the school, right because you are going to that school because you're hey, either by some other entity or whatever. But because of the entities that you're getting these dollars from, they can't lock you into a multi year contract or like a is it a year by.
Speaker 2: Year deal for the most part these kids, Yeah, I think it's a year by year you know. Really they keep the coaches out of the loop. I mean, the only thing that we can recruit with is basically, you know, we can tell them how many kids at Texas Tech are getting deals, how much total our deals are worth, you know, comprehensive, and we can share that with recruits when they come on VI and say, hey, look, we've got I don't know, seventy five students across the board, the total number that they're receiving is X amount of dollars and kind of give them some highlights of what's going on. But we can't really tell them, hey, you're going to get you know, a certain amount of money if you come here. You just really got to tell them, you know, in broad strokes, what's happening. But it's fascinating, it really is. You know how some of these things you know are happening. I know, I know there's been some things that transfer portal where you feel like, oh, school X has got to be finished with scholarship and lot of the hole they get another player and and so you know, had to be some sort of nil thing that that ended up pushing over the edge. And I guess in the in the in the golf world, sometimes a little more kids kids usually maybe have the money to go for free. So I don't want to say it always happened that way, but you're starting I'm starting to get the sense that some of these kids in the portal or are making decisions to go to these schools and there's some an il deals attached to those.
Speaker 1: Are they just going to schools that they know you just you just know they wouldn't go.
Speaker 2: To Well you just feel like, hey, there's no way they had some money. How are they getting this kid that that you know, that's a really good player that's in the portals and yeah, exactly got four and a half. So anyway, you know, it's kind of like the Fitch stores. It gets bigger and bigger, but it's happening. It's definitely happened in the golf space.
Speaker 3: Seems like it would hurt at school, Like I mean, in that scenario like TCU where it's seventy grand to go or something. I have no idea if a school is less, it's like, oh, yeah, the boosters are like, we'll put a quarter of a million in nil and all of a sudden we have an extra ten scholarships full scholarships or whatever we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. That's a pretty good, pretty good way to get around it.
Speaker 2: I guess, jeez, I think it's staggering the numbers of basketball kids are getting it. And really it just feels like to me, I mean, it feels like, why wouldn't you go jump back in the portal. It's kind of like your free agency. I mean, jump back in. You can always come back to the school you were at and you know, bump it up to the number you want, and if you want to get that number, go to that place. If not, stay there and keep getting what you're getting. But you know, I think it's going to calm down. I know. I know recently they've they've made some changes on the how many times you can transfer in a few tweaks here and there. I haven't polished up on exactly all those things, but I know that's happening with football and basketball where they're starting to come up with some things that may, you know, help keep that under control.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they've they've got I saw some kid on Twitter. He's going to be playing at his fourth school this fall, and it's like sixth or seventh year of eligibility, right, Like, I just don't understand it anymore. Like when I was growing up, and when y'all were growing up, you committed, you played, and that was it, Like you didn't go anywhere else. I wanted to transfer so bad my first semester at LSU, I wanted to leave so bad. I didn't know anyone there. No one from Fort Worth went to bat Crews. I had a hard time fitting in down there to the culture. But you know, thank god my dad. I came home. My dad was like, you got a full scholarship, You're staying your ass down there, you're figuring it out. I'm glad I did hindsight twenty twenty, but man, I wanted to leave so bad. But nowadays, nowadays, I feel as if you know the way these kids have to be close, they're not. They're softer than they used to be. For I mean, they are. The kids are just soft for these days. You can't coach them as hard, can't run them as hard, can't work them out as hard, can't talk to them like good twenty years ago. But they just have that option always. I don't really like that. I don't like that they have an option to quit and it's fine, Like I just I can't wrap my head around, right, you know, if I suck here, I can go somewhere else and maybe I'll play it. I won't suck there like you used to have to get You used to have to get permission to transfer, and then if you transfer it in your conference, you had to sit out of here. Like none of that's the thing. None of that's the case anymore. And I don't. I just don't. I don't like it. I think it's fine for football because but I don't think for for every sport it's great, it's too damn confusing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a really good successful story for transfers. But I agree with your ear point, you know, like there is a value to sticking something out and seeing something through and and uh but but but yeah, I mean it's amazing. You know, if you would have just if you would have transferred, then who knows, it may have been just as offered the place she went for a little bit and sticking that thing through and it'll be the best thing for you. But you know, we have to embrace it. You know, that's what we do. We're coaches, so we have to embrace it and like it. I don't necessarily you know, like where it first went. But now that I've embraced it, we've had actually some really good success with the portal and and really to two of our kids this year, a great kids, hardworking kids, and and uh, you know, one kid from South Carolina and another kid that came from Sacramento State. And so we've had some really good players that have come in and helped our program and added some depth and and they're happy, they're they're in a better space too. So you know, now now that I've been through a little bit. I think it's probably a good thing for our program, especially you know, since we've kind of got to that point where kids view it as like, hey, it's a great place you can go. They've got a great schedule and and so things aren't working out the way they envision it. Then then we have an opportunity to at least be in the conversation when it gets get in the portal. So it's one of those things I didn't like, but now that it's heered, it's probably been been a good thing for us so far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Well, golf is still like I mean, it's an individual sport. It's a team sports, team component. But like back when I was playing, and I mean all of us, if someone transferred, they like they weren't good enough to play on the team. Basically, now it's like it's so much easier to transfer. Guys are transferring it to another program if they're if it's just a better opportunity for them, you know, like they might be if they don't exactly they're just like I'm done. Like in golf, you know it's there's an individual component, team component, but I mean, you know you're trying to shoot the low score possible yourself. And now it's guys that are like, yeah, I'm gonna go to a tech. Look at their schedule. It's a lot better. Boom transfer. I mean, great kid, our guy kit Henley, that was on the pod. Why am I drawing a black Here's at Rutgers went to Oklahoma stud kid. That's like an example, right, It's like back in the day you would just stay there and said, Now it's just like dude, I might as well just jump ship and because they play the best schedule, best exposer, see you later. But football basketball, that was a big deal because you know it wasn't all about the one person. It's like you had to you had to be on a squad, on a squad to make it happen.
Speaker 1: The guys.
Speaker 2: I feel really bad Ward in a way is you know you went and recruited at Chris got her up per se. I'm just talking about him, and you got the kid. He's starting to develop, starting to play amazing, and then he kind of feels like you're a junior college for the for the kid to go somewhere else, And it was tough, you know that The added PGA Tour university. Adds adds the fact that you've got to play a good schedule and maybe maybe like a kid like Chris is like, hey, you know, to get the status on this PGA tour, you I need to go find a schedule. And so it's all, uh, it's all, I guess a good thing, but I feel bad for the coaches who have done the work put in the time developing these kids and maybe can't reap the benefits of of what a stud that kid was. And he was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean someone fire and sixty fours at Rutgers. That's gonna get you probably in first place a majority of the events. I don't care if the other guys just started golf that semester. If you pulled him from the freaking the squad, firing sixty four's in those events is gonna be gonna be nails. Coach. So, like we were talking about Montaguel for a second, and you were the assistant there, and Montaguel learned a lot from going to the Oklahoma State golf camps, which you went to obviously learned a lot too, but from holder he learned like the qualifying and I know it's changed because you have Actually I don't want to pronounce his name. Callum Sandy's brother, right Callum, Yeah, Callum, he's he's the second ranked player right now or something in like ludvig As three. So you have two, you have two guys in the top three, So I mean not a lot of squa not a lot of squads have that zero actually, So I know qualifying could be could be a little different, like if you don't take if you don't take one of the top three guys in the country, you're gonna you're gonna feel like an idiot. Probably, So maybe you don't want to do qualifying at Reese. I mean when fifty mile an hour wins, But how do you how do you hear qualify? Because montages like you didn't finish top ten or twenty of the event before, you're qualifying. Because I don't care if you're Jesus of Nazareth, I don't care if you're Tiger Woods, I don't care, if you're Byron Nelson, you're qualifying. But if you have the two guys in the top three, I mean, what do you just say, are like, y'all don't know what you're doing to your own thing or how do you do your qualifying?
Speaker 2: You know, but those two guys love to play, and so they're not afraid to get in there mix it up. And obviously more times than not, if we're playing, you know, multiple rounds, those guys still find a way to get it done. But you know, we we do a different every time. I feel like there's so many you know, depending on the amount of time you have between events or yeah, you have a feel for it, right, yeah, And so like you know, we may like we have eight we have an eight rounder going to Hawaii. It's pretty wide open. We're gonna have four or five spots on the line. Ludwig's still out of the country. He's going to play in Dubai. So obviously the guys know he's going to go there, and I tell him, hey, you know, you know, they know I'd be pretty stupid not to take him. So he's going to fly in and have four days before he goes there. But but you know, it ends up working itself out because we do we do take the tournaments into consideration to get exemptions. But I've got a great I feel like I have a great feel for what we need to do. I don't always get it perfect. But but you know, we we've got a schedule that that if you go play well, then the guys know, hey, that guy gets to gets to go, and if you don't, you're kind of shuffled back in. And we're trying to really create a feeling that that is more of a professional feeling that's been on purpose the last two or three years, that you know you're you're you got to go back in there and earn it. And I feel like that's the way everything is, whether you're trying to make a PGA Tour cut or you're trying to make the cutter uh at a at a at a major, and you've got a couple of rounds to get it done. And and so I think that skill I probably kicked too much early in my career. Now I'm trying to get more spots in. To be honest, we got the depth, so you know, there's not a lot of difference between our number, you know, four guy an eight guy right now or really three, and so sometimes you've got to just throw the all is up and go get it. And uh and we've got a course that can separate and a couple of places we can play and and and so it all works out.
Speaker 3: What'd you guys do PD at LSU for qualifying.
Speaker 1: So it was all based on your recent form. But it wasn't always qualifying, so you know, there was We all played amateur schedules back then, just like they do now. But for this time of year, it was tough because no one's no one's really playing. The Jones Cup was was about the only tournament that we had before the semester started. So when we got back to school for the spring semester, which is really that's really the only semester that they care about college golf. Yeah, there's a fall semester, it's it's vacations and football season and stuff. But the spring semester that that was, That was it. That was it for us, at least it was I think it's eight seven or eight tournaments we had, including all the way up to n C Double a's, but before the first tournament, uh, we always started at Gainesville, Florida and the Mark Bostic deal, the Florida Florida has been. It was early February, I want to say, and some of us played Jones Cup, some of us played maybe there was a there was a amateur tournament Florida too, But Chuck would always look at those be like, all right, whod he beat? Who's going to be at the tournament? And he would make a determination there whether or not those people will had to qualify. So I had to qualify pretty much every time unless I did something crazy beforehand, and then he'd exempt one, maybe two people. That was it. That was all he ever did. And but he did a lot like like coach is saying, and where even if I was the number one guy, I still had to go prove that I was the number one guy to my teammates because it was always a better idea for me to prove that to the team than for Chuck to just take me and say I was better than them. Right, So we had a golf course. I don't know if you've been to University Club at bat Rouge, but have you played? Have you all been there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't. Out of all the regionals, I've never been there. But I've heard a lot of good things, and I've heard it's tough. Yeah, I heard it.
Speaker 1: It's so hard, Yeah, it's so hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Jim Light built the chorus seventy seven hundred yards at sea level, okay, and the greens are all turtleback elevated. No one ever plays it from seventy seven hundred yards, but that was if you shot even parr out there, it was you were kicking ass. That was a great scores like pointed like Carson Creek what he did. And basically if you remember Andrew Loop, Andrew Loop was on our team too, he could fly at like three forty oh yeah in twenty eleven. You know it was a freak, just a freak athlete. So he would always win the University Club qualifiers because it was a long, wide, open golf course, so we didn't have a lot of variants of where we went. We had like three courses in rotation. But if we spent the majority of the time at U Club, he would wear me out. I remember he won a qualifier by twelve shots. You know, it was a four round qualifier. We just couldn't hang with him. So y'all have a really good mix of courses over there in Lovebock with Love It Country Club. You're gonna have Red Feather next year, and you have there all sports obviously where you played most of it. So you've got a good mix of shore and long, you know whatever. But that's what Chuck did. He basically took the previous form of recency, and if you played well, top ten, whatever, you were exempt. But you always usually if you weren't exempt, you always had to qualify. And that was true with the one guy, two guy, all the way down through the eighth guy. So everyone had a shot usually going into these events. That what Montagall did. I mean, I know Monaga didn't really even watch qualifying half the time, but.
Speaker 3: Dude, no, I have some stories. No he would well. I so I will say this about Montagall, his qualifying. The only time he ever picked, ever picked, was postseason, and if it was close, you qualified. But dude, if you didn't finish I think my freshman year was top twenty. It might be top ten now, but if you didn't finish top twenty, you're qualifying. And that's when guys didn't try to throw a couple of crap and I don't want to call him crappy tournaments, but now, like your record's important, So like back then, it's like we played everything like that. We played the hardest tournament every single week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played prestige and yeah all those yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, so like I mean it was. It was I mean my first like couple events, I was the five man and I played with JB. Holmes, Ryan Moorean and uh and like Kyle Rifer's like we were the five man like or right.
Speaker 2: I mean we were.
Speaker 3: We were like the scraps like playing. I mean it was. It was hard to finish top twenty. We did it, but so anyway you had to qualify. If it didn't finish, I think if you won, maybe you got two exemptions. But the rankings weren't out really, so the rankings came out like maybe my first year I played and Monagill the first like week, they came out with Sagarin golf stout whatever, right, you know he does whatever. It was a guy like Sands in there. We didn't have an assistant, but somebody was in there knowing how to work the computer, printed out the stats on it. Well me bbbby you know, like a long ast one and whatever. This tournament was. We finished last in par five scoring. Okay, so not good, but like we played like shit, but we finished last and par five scoring. So we're looking at him and he's telling us this on this sheet. So we're like what does this have to do with anything other than play the par fives better? Right, And then he said he sat on a par three and he watched us all miss our birdie puts. So we're thinking whatever, we're thinking, all right, We're like, we don't know what this has to do with anything. So to tie this all together in the coach way, he goes, we're qualifying today and this is like Hawaii qualifier. It is sleading in his forty degrees, he goes, we're going to shady Oaks. So the qualifier, we don't play any holes at all. We walk driving ranges closed, it's wet. We walked to fifteen. No excuse me, we walked to We walked to fourteen because it's a par five. Fifteen is a part five, and then sixteen is a par three. We play that in a loop six times. And because because the par five scoring was so bad, is sleeting. But you still can't hit driver on on fourteen. So we hit three wood, but we have two ninety in and nobody can reach it, right, So we're all laying up from the same spot literally identical scenario. On the next hole. You can't hit driver, but we can hit our's just on two irons at this point, like, but we have two seventy five in and then we weren't even allowed to hit a shot on sixteen. It didn't matter, he said, we all hit it the same spot. We missed the putts, so you hit a ten footer, So you hit a ten footer from the same spot on sixteen. And then we played back and forth lay up golf. We did this six times in the sleet, and nobody, I mean, it was a perfect day for it. Like no, no one was playing out there unless they were totally insane. I don't even think the course was open. Nobody was at this place. The range was closed. We showed up and that was our entire qualifier for right there. And I think we finished like second, and I was like, Coach, how we do in part five? He's like, still not good? When we finished second, I was like, all right, it was perfect, but yeah we do we coach. Was a qualifier, Sands will tell you do the Hawaii qualifier. It was like seventeen nine all rounds. I mean, it was an epic qualifier.
Speaker 2: I was always at like Rockwood or one of those places, just trying to man like eighteen guys on the team. I was just trying to make the top eight so I could go like Colonial once the week. So I was still I was still relegated to the to the you know, the B squad courses though.
Speaker 3: Anyway, yeah, PD you had to shoot a sixty nine to get your bag, and there were guys that didn't have hadding't a shot even after the fort Worth Men's City early. If you miss your chance in the fort Worth Men's City, that was your chance there, that was your chance.
Speaker 1: And if you don't, if you don't break so yeah, the Hillscourt, you got the Hills Cort ye, so you.
Speaker 3: Don't get your bag until you break seventy. So we had a couple of guys that didn't have their bag, and this is when the team was massive. So he made you play Glenn Gardens from the women's teas the entire like start of the second semester until you can break seventy and get your bag.
Speaker 1: And if you came.
Speaker 3: Back from there and didn't and didn't get your bag, it was demoralizing. I mean, I don't y'all know what I'm talking about, but yeah, I mean from the tips Glenn Garden's fifty seven hundred yards. I don't even know what it what it was from the freaking.
Speaker 2: Way one year we played Glenn. One year we played Glenn Garden, that true story, and we heard we heard gunshots and we dove it a bunker, just were like we didn't know what's happening, and we heard gunshots going all around. We're like in this bunker, like you know where's this coming from?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Hey, get out of the bunker. Keep lying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how wood Haven was too. Wood Haven was the same way they built all those like section eight apartments on that one hole. We qualified there possible, and yeah that you had to like shield yourself there comes to golf team, you know, shield yourself from bullets.
Speaker 2: It was we called a wood Harlem or hood Haven, but yeah, wood Harlem.
Speaker 1: Hood Haven, Yeah, hood Haven. But that's a tough deal. That's where district was every year.
Speaker 2: I was an assistant pro there. What it was a great little track, but it was, uh it was. We had a cart guy get robbed down there. I was it fifteen t that went right by those at gunpoint right here, give me all your money, here we go. So but great little track.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, coach was a beauty like there Meadowbrook.
Speaker 1: Meadowbrook was a good one too. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, No, we played dude forwth Man City. He hadn't play that thing. I remember going into Coach's office and whatever, like I decided or he decided for me. Basically I was gonna red shirt my first year. So he goes, but you're very important. I need you to keep these other guys in check if they're going to make the team. Blah blah blah blah. So I go in there and he like, he calls me on my dorm phone. No, like I no one had a cell phone. Calls me on my dorm phone. I go into his office and he gives me like a scorecard and he goes, he goes, today you're playing a course. He goes Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan grew up playing. And I'm like, shit, this is gonna be awesome. And he's like, Coach Sands actually printed out you know. It was like it was looked like rat scratch monocules. Like, uh, he didn't have anything organized, he said, Sands typed out everything, like all the phone numbers, directions. So he had this. He had this basically this like Encyclopedia of directions. This like nothing was around, no GPS, so you couldn't even print off the map quest this was before that. So I'm looking here and he goes, you're going to play the course that Pyra Nelson and Ben Hogan. I'm like, this is going to be the best day of my life. So I've never heard of it hurt a colonial. So I to show up and they get there following these directions, and it like gets worse. You go down Barry and you start driving east and it gets worse and worse and worse and worse, and all of a sudden, I go up here. I'm like, no way, hell, this is like this is like a ninth Green at nine freshman like prank or whatever. Show up there and there it is, I mean, freaking Glenn Garden watching the sixt year seniors that can't even bust in a four for him, and oh my god, coach Coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now now it's a distillery. Now it's a distillery whiskey. They put their facility there and I think they have twelve I think they have twelve holes. Yeah, they built a big distillery up where up where the clubhouse was on top of that.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It's actually badass. It's really cool. They have they have like you know, the do rehearsal dinners and weddings and stuff there and you could see downtown Fort Worth and I think they have like seven or eight olds still. But yeah, anyway, it's a distillery.
Speaker 3: What's up for the people, fam, We're super excited to have Gooder Sunglasses as a sponsor for the entire year. Gooder Sunglasses every pair of twenty five to thirty five bucks, one hundred percent UV protective, one hundred percent polarized, and they make great golf specific lenses. They make brighter lenses. They make a dark lens called back nine Blackout that's my favorite for multiple reasons. So go ahead and head to www dot goodr dot com insert code FTP fifteen. That'll get you a nice little discount. Also, free returns within thirty days, one year warranty, free shipping over fifty bucks. So go ahead, get yourself a couple pair of Goods and have a day. Hey, guys, we all know golf is hard, but looking good on the course definitely doesn't have to be. Our guys that live Forever Golf promote a comfortable lifestyle on and off the golf course. They've got Polos golf shorts, five pocket performance pants, out of wear, active wear, a bunch of cool T shirts, a bunch of cool hats. You can go to live forever golf dot com and remember remember it's for the player, not the game, so use code nails twenty to get yourself twenty percent off live forever golf dot com their nails. Check them out.
Speaker 2: You know, of course I've heard it's great. I just drove by it, but I didn't stop. But I've heard Rockwood's really improved with improvements, and yeah, oh yeah, that was a place that you could get in a bad situation too, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure was it still is still is Rockwood after dark and then you could go across the street and get your windows to it. That's where I've been.
Speaker 3: Rockwood after dark was a scary place. That Jacksboro Boulevard or whatever it is, right by the first right by the first t was God, that was questionable. I almost got hit in the face with a goddang softball there. During the Fort Worth Men City someone hit a dinger to the left field on the fourth bole or whatever it is, right on the box there. I was like, that was that was aggressive? The guy hit a pismissal lot there, but that.
Speaker 1: Was that's a bomb though, that's a huge that's a bomb because home plate's like a long way a sophomore. You must have been way left. You must have been way left over there by out of bounds.
Speaker 3: The green the greenest to the green is two paces from the chain link fence. Like, I don't know how far left I could possibly be like on that hole. I mean it is right on the edge too.
Speaker 1: Well, they moved they back then, back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't I haven't played. I haven't played. The rich guys heard it's the best best track in town or whatever. All right, so coach, so for it's changed a little bit as far as like scheduling. But you have great players, you're not worried about it. But do you try to play the same I mean, are there elite events that you're trying to get into and qualify every single year? Does that help with recruiting and things like that? Yeah, Like do you have your schedule in your mind where you want or do you have to like pivot sometimes? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the pivots on that we hosted the tournament at Pebble, which was an unbelievable had eight for SEC or Big twelve teams. That was an amazing run, but you knew that was going to come to an end, just it was a tournament that obviously costs a lot of money and it was an unbelievable botique tournament that Fannue he'd put together, and it grew in from two teams to eight teams and that was an unreal way to start. But but the girls are playing there for the next two years and it just is not a sustainable tournament. I mean, you're putting a ton of money in per program. But we used to do that for the last six or seven years. So we've we've gone off that off those dates and then, like you guys mentioned the Prestige, it was still a really good tournament, but it's not quite what it was the last about three or four years ago. And then you're seeing some really cool events pop up, like Calusa. The Calusa Cup is popped up and we got into that. I think the Stevens Cup is something we haven't been to. But so you're starting to see a lot of good smaller tournaments pop up. But there's still the traditional you know, we're still going to the Big Island, great field Vegas. Vegas is still a good field. We're actually going to Cabo now it's a great field. So there's still six seven really really good tournaments. But there's still some some changes. I think I worse going away. That used to be probably the best one we hosted that for a while. Oh really, and so yeah, you're starting to see a little bit of change. But you definitely want to put the best best foot board there. We have the five hundred rules, so you got to be a little bit careful if your team's not unbelievable, You've got to be a little bit careful there.
Speaker 1: But that's right.
Speaker 2: You still want to put put together schedule that you can you can recruit to and say, hey, guys, if you play good here this schedule, you've got to get enough PGA Tour University points to have a chance to move on or get some sort of status if you play really well. So you know, right now we've had the luxury of just lining up and go get the best terms we can, and that hadn't necessarily been the case every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't think he'll have to worry about five hundred too much down there.
Speaker 3: And it's different though it's happened, it happens the.
Speaker 1: Most, the most terrified I've ever been on a first d happened? Did you play Allworth Glean? No?
Speaker 3: I never played there.
Speaker 1: You probably probably barely missed this. I bet that things started like right when you finished. But my sophomore year at l s U, we played Iowa and I had that kind of a shitty freshman year. Like I said, it was uncomfortably bad, grades whatever, But it got it together and played better from there. But sophomore year, I guess it was about this time. No, it was in. It was in the fall, wasn't it October?
Speaker 2: Late October? Yah?
Speaker 3: La?
Speaker 2: It could it could be bad there. It could be great. Normally it's great, but it could be it could be Wendy.
Speaker 1: It was bad. It was bad this time. Ricky Fowler was running wind sprints on the range with Mitton's on, trying to warm up. And so that was back when Tiger lived there. Tiger was on the Tiger lived on the range there on on the if you're hitting balls was on the left side, and his house was right there. If the fire hydrant that he crashed into, like the whole thing's right, it's right there. Okay, So we were we're going we warm up on the range, it's cold, whatever, and we hear the tiger. Tiger's here, Tiger's here this time. Wow, we haven't seen him yet. We've been here two days. So, uh, that was a tournament, wasn't shotgunna start? You go?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: Four, three two one? I think I was second, Yeah, I was. I was playing two this week and I was on the tea box, and you know, this nervous, big event for college, pretty nervous already. And then I turned around and out of the clubhouse is walking Tiger Woods right down the steps and he's in jim shorts and a T shirt. He's walking right up to the te box. I'm like, shit, I've got to hit.
Speaker 4: I'm nineteen years old. I'm nineteen years old. I've never hit, never even seen him in person. Here he is and jim shorts and a T shirt and he's leaning against the deal and I'm the next to go. I'm like, all right, well, this is the most nervous I've ever been for one. I'm gonna shit myself.
Speaker 1: I'm Gladimore and pants, like, you know, it's a three wood hole. That number one is a three wood hole out there at the dago left. I was like, screw that, I'm not teeing this thing really lowd top it got tea driver hot tea driver about this high. I was like, screw it. I'm going to hit it through the faraway on purpose because there's no way I'm connecting with threewood right now.
Speaker 2: And I hit it.
Speaker 1: I hit it a little, It all right, But that was the most nervous I'd ever been, I think until until I played a major. Uh was that shot at Ioworth? But yeah, that's that sucks. The tournament's going away. I know y'all hosted it after UCF did right and and do y'all host? Are y'all going to host an event this year?
Speaker 2: We're not this year. You know, we're we're shooting for a regional down the road. The women have a regional coming up. But but yeah, we're not hosting right now. It's I mean, there's so many good tournaments right now that that it's hard to even you know, justify hosting when you can go play the schedule that we put together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you got you have a good I mean, Nathan's a good guy assistant there. But like that's got to be a little bit of a a pain hosting an event too, like good or bad and bad too, especially when it's not like in your hometown, like your host an event a pebble beach. I mean it's awesome, right, No one every would ever complained about that. No one play about Ioworth, But that probably takes away a little bit. I mean probably a lot of work side work for you that's different than in normal that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was iow Worth. I mean they were so good at running that event. I mean we basically raised the money for the event and and did a few things, said hello with the coaches meeting, and acted like we knew we were doing. But the truth is the Iowa staff was incredible and they I mean the host of the uh I'm going blanket, it's the yeah Tavistock Cup. I know it's changed with the hero thing, but uh you know they they run that thing, you know, so they just scaled that thing down and ran the Tavis doot uh Collegiate. It was it was incredible are the Iowa Collegiate and uh so there really wasn't much time. I mean there were a few emails. We had to get some logos for their little nice little booklet and a few things like that, collecting some entry fees. But but they did a bang up job. And the same thing with with with Pebble. You know, we had a little more to do with Pebble, but with Ben and would go in early and and and talk to the Pebble people. And Eric Clipper was a head pro they I mean really just show up and and uh and play golf. So those two weren't that tough to host. But to your point, yeah, it's it's a you host a good event and you're really in charge of it, like I wasn't. But if you were, it could be it could be a tough, tough gig.
Speaker 3: That's that's pretty good, Pete. So the NCAA Championships and like whatever credit to PD, he can kiss my ass, I don't carry won the NCAA is good job, blah blah blah blah blah. But it's different. It's different now because the team component. There's match play right after p D. I mean there's no match lay. You never played match play, right Pete. It was all Indy when you played in.
Speaker 1: The last two years were match play, but we never made We never made match play.
Speaker 3: So you guys won and you didn't make match play. Your team sucked aft then. However, however, so coach you guys. I mean, you guys have played great and made match play, you know a couple of the last few years or whatever or better than that. How does it work as far as setting the lineup? Do you put out your whole entire lineup or is it one in one one in one or do you go one through five and just match them up at the same time? How does that work?
Speaker 1: We try to compare the guys, right, like Ryder cup style, who wants to play well?
Speaker 2: The first year when we played an honors course, for sure we made it. It actually was based on the golf stat rankings. He didn't have any control over the uh the pairings really and so I remember if we played Florida State, they had Koepka, they had Kittleson who yeah and so yeah, Kittleson wash Kittleson was injured and uh from for all the fall, so he didn't play and then he started playing there like towards the end of conference. It was just wearing it out. But because he had played, he was right or fifth guy. So we got kittleson, who's gonna the demolish our fifth guy? And you know it lined up perfect them. Yeah, but that was the first year we made We lost that first match. They had a great team. Trying to think, who I think Augusta State, Yeah, Augusta State won that year and then uh, you know we we made it at Oklahoma State made it that year. But but they switched to where you can you can put out your parents. So if you're the higher seed, you get the choice to defer or or roll out your first guy.
Speaker 3: And so it goes one in one one like that.
Speaker 1: So you always defer, You always defer, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would, Oh you altern it?
Speaker 1: You would, you would, you would always defer.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, in the five count four I'm gonna give away coaching steaker here. But if you if you put out a player or if you defer, yeah, you're in control of the last two matches.
Speaker 3: Oh no, six.
Speaker 2: Counts, sorr, I get confused. We play the big twelve match play. When you're playing six, you want to defer because you'll be in control of more matches. But I think the way it works, and I'm well thinking myself here about thinking the five count. You want to actually put somebody out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's tricky. No, that's right, because I mean pdie. Because what you could do is like we have Ludvig and he won the NCAA Individual by eleven shots, and uh, they put him out first. Well, we're gonna put Colleen, who's scraped together three seventy four for seventy fours.
Speaker 1: And just let him and let him get worn out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like hope for an injury. We don't want him to be heard seriously, but maybe he like you know, gets diarrhea or something, he can't finish the round and I scraw you scrape in and beat him. But like sometimes I'm sure they sacrificial lot. I mean, usually the best guy wants to match up against the best guy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, that's part of it.
Speaker 2: That's part of ya if you save your last two guys. Obviously, if if you are on the higher seed, you should be able to control the last two matches. You know, that's a big deal. But yeah, it's there's a little bit of strategy there. Sometimes you can outthink yourself as a coach instead of just you know, either if you give away a point, you're only going to three. So if you just throw out throw out a guy that you think can't beat somebody, you're just giving them a point. So you really don't want to do that either. But you know, at that point when you're the top eight, like last year one threugh ad made it uh on the Golf stat rankings one through eight made the match play, which was kind of cool. And we were eight and we're playing Vandy and and so you know, there's just not that much margin. But I think we had the lead in or of the five matches or maybe even all five of the turn and then they started doing Vandy things and making a lot of putts. They got a great team and and they've had a lot of experience, and that was the first time we made a few years. So we ended up giving up the lead and lost that match there at the end. But anyway, yeah, it's it's kind of funn it. You feel like you have a little bit of control there as a coach or a little bit of strategy there. Most of the time, the Urnam is for playing. We're just like, okay, you know, you're one guy is you roll out there, you play stroke play and it's over. So I like it. I get into it, but I'm oh for three. So I don't know why I like it in a match play, but but I do like it.
Speaker 3: It's going to happen. Well, y'all just won the match play.
Speaker 1: So y'all made it at the Honors course the first that was the first year they did match play, right, Uh, you'all made it the Honors and then the very next year at Carson Creek made it again.
Speaker 2: No, we made it twenty nineteen at Carston.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there was there was a nine year break and nineteen at Carston and then last year in Arizona corec where's it this year?
Speaker 2: Still in Arizona. Yeah, one more year at Hawks, one more year at Greyhawk, and then I think we're going to be at LaCosta. They're doing some changes, you know, I guess if that doesn't get completed that, I'm guessing we'll probably just stick to Greyhawk one more years. But I'm thank you.
Speaker 3: It's way better to watch on TV. Like as a fan of college golf. It brings people in, like I love it.
Speaker 1: It's on TV.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's it's freaking awesome. I like the three though, Like you said, I mean, and you know people are like your anchor match. But again, you only have to get the three points. So if you save your best guys for the end, yeah, then you know they might not even matter, right, Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you, even though I am over three, it's really the three best coaching days of my life at that because you feel like at that point you got a chance. You see how excited the kids are. It's always it usually is always close. I mean, every once in a while you'll get a four to one or a five zero, but if you really look at it, it really usually comes down to three to two and and and So that's what TV is creative for. It's what you know, the team's watching at that point, you got one player trying to win a point, and at that point you really feel like it's a team sport versus you know, stroke play. You know, you just never really know where you're at, what score you're dropping, and that kind of thing. So I love it. I've had a lot of good memories with the Big twelve match play. We won that twice, so I've done a little bit better on that end. But those are some of the best coaching days that I've had, and you know, twenty plus years coaching.
Speaker 1: I love college golf.
Speaker 3: That was the.
Speaker 1: Highlight of to this day, it's like the highlight of my athletic lifetime. It's been college college golf. I love college golf. I love the team aspect, I love the coach, love everything about it. Didn't like I didn't like pro golf. I didn't really like at all compared to college golf. But my question, like, when I play fifteen years ago, there was your parents and like maybe some lost wonder on the car path and a golden retriever or two, like watching that college golf tournament. Now they're on TV. Now these things are on TV, They're on the Golf Channel, they're streaming, they're all over the place. You all have like real announcers in the booth. It's getting big time. I love to see it, But is it have these kids like you were a freshman, say one never loved it, came in and he'd never played on TV before. All of a sudden, y'all are in the National Championship last year and it's primetime TV, and more people are watching college golf. Then that watched you know, the Sony Open this week, because in my opinions, better entertainment for fun to watch, Like, did these kids have they figured out how to play behind the in front of a camera?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that took some time to be adjusted to and sure it wasn't like that when we played.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I think that there's two or three events during the year that we've been fortunate to get into that have had TV or streaming, and I think that kind of prepares you. And then the other thing is we're getting so much better coverage with social media. So we'll have our people come along with us three or four times a year and they'll shove a camera in their face. It's not the same you know, obviously if you've got social media content in your just recording of course it maybe I bring that the same type of nerves when it's on live TV. But it is something as a coach you think about and try to prepare your kids for a little bit, because, like you said, it's just a different type of pressure, and you know, I think I think it's something that you can kind of learn and try to develop a little bit, and man, it has changed a lot. I mean, we had the Marito Tournament was on TV for two or three years on the Golf Channel. I think they have the Western Collegiate and went a pasta tempo. It's been on TV for three or four years. Vegas has been on streaming. You know, there's four or five events. I'm probably missing several that that that can help you at least get prepared there.
Speaker 3: The streaming things. Pick like we didn't have streaming stuff when we played or whatever, and that's I mean, that's part of it. Coach, You're you're a good player. Obviously you played college golf. Like do you ever mix it up with the guys like play like I told like, I was playing the Byron Nelson last year and I texted Coach, I'm like, I'm like, I need to play with your guys because I need some competition. And they like they beat my ass or whatever, but I did beat someone in the Nelson. You ever go there like like every now and again, you're just like, I'm gonna just mix it up here and just just let them know that that I know what I'm talking about, Like just a little.
Speaker 2: We actually, I mean the most recent thing coming off COVID played a ton, so coming off COVID, I was a little cocky a little bit, and uh and played I think I played nine May maybe I've played all eighteen at Love the Country Club, where I played, you know, a thousand times before they got there, and it held my own. I had a pretty good round. And but what I've noticed is is, uh, you know those leisurely COVID rounds when you can have a couple of cocktails and relax, and it's a little a little bit different than all of a sudden you're teamed up with the guys, and all of a sudden you're like, you know, I really want to beat this guy and have him listen to me. So you know, I can't keep up. They beat it way past me. But you know, if I if I really catch a heater, then I may be able to just kind of hang in the middle of the pack. But I used to always play in Hawaii and we have a lot of fun and the kind of uh, you know, you get get to go over there four or five days before you play, so it was always warm weather. It kind of got me excited to hit off green Grass and we've been on the dormant grass. So I did have a tradition of doing that, but I even kind of stopped doing that in the last few years because I mean, you know, at forty forty seven balls just not going where it wants to. It ends up just making you more mad than it's worth it. So anyway, but you know, Nathan's pretty good. I try to I try to goat him into playing a little bit because he he actually can really get on their nerves. He didn't hit a breef far, but he just wears out fairways. A good putter.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he can play. So yeah, Coach Coach is forty seven p D. Like if he showed up to Champions tourk Houston in three years, like they would ask they like, he would have to think it was a fake ID. I mean, yeah, this guy shows up. I'm like, who the hell is this guy? I'm looking at you.
Speaker 1: Like, who's the oldest one here? Like like isn't me do I look at the oldest like this?
Speaker 3: I mean my coach, like it's that clean living. I like, if I was in Champions Tour Hustool and I was playing with you in ten years and I would be like this guy there's no freaking way.
Speaker 2: It used to be really bad. I was twenty six if I started coaching, and looked like eighteen. And I mean every time we would go play, every time for the first five years, somebody we would, we'd have a out like what's the over under on how many times they're gonna ask me how I played? You know, a volunteer or you know. I'd just be walking with the guy and they hey, what's your score is the last three? I'm like, you, bro, I'm the coach, and the guys looked laugh at me because I kind of actually get annoyed at it. And and now look back and I'm like, man, I'd love to have some of those days back. I don't get asked that that much anymore, or really any but but I mean, it was just a guarantee back and so I guess it was a it's a blessing, but back then I just kind of I hated. I think one time we won the tournament at Oak Hills and San Antonio and we had this like nine year old potigrapher the standard taking the team picture and he's like, hey, where's it, where's the coach? And I guess I guess I didn't say it loud enough. I'm like, I have right here. Guys are laughing, and he didn't hear me, Like I can't take the coach.
Speaker 3: Where's the coach?
Speaker 2: And I mean he's just yelling all the guys and all the guys are laughing at it. But yeah, anyway, how.
Speaker 3: Goes Montaguill Monicgill six? Yeah, probably six. He looks amazing. He hasn't looked changed at all. Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: No, not a great here, and I mean he looks amazing. The only thing that kind of started slowing down after his surgery, he kind of started walking a little sober. But I mean, honestly, the guy looks amazing and uh yeah, probably pre surgery, same thing. I mean, he looked like he was, you know, forty five years old.
Speaker 3: No, it's yeah, it doesn't matter. We saw him out there. He was the tallest guy by eighteen inches on the entire course. Like we like Montaguil was there ready to go. But but I mean that was that's that's crazy. That's freaking crazy. Coaching forty seven. I can't believe it. That's pretty good though, man, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's that's fifty six minutes. We got tied for like two questions. Dude, we like wasted the entire questions.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are one day and I.
Speaker 2: All we did.
Speaker 1: All we did was ask we wanted people to ask questions, and we just ruined the entire hour. But you got here some time for like two questions. I know, I know people want to know the situation with the walk Ons. So what's the situation with the walk Ons? Why don't we do walk on Texas Tech?
Speaker 2: You know, I tried to do the Monta Guilt thing, you know, Montagol you gotta go, you gotta go playing the four work min city. Well we didn't have the ben City, so you know, really what ended up happening is I kind of finally figured out that hey, I can kind of recruit a walk on here. I don't have to just wait for kids to show up to campus to try to figure out who can play. And so what I would do is just try to recruit just a recruited walk on. And we had a limited number of spots, so what I would do, and we've had some great player players that that have that have come for nothing that have turned out really good. So people don't think I really have a walk on process. But but I would basically just either look through some resumes or go try to find some kids through the same process. I would on a recruited guy and and then go, hey, you know, maybe you're going to go to a place that Division two or junior college, but I think you're good enough if you want to come here, and you might need a red shirt. But so I've had some good players that that have that have you know, they might not have known their walk on. I tried to always give them books. But in my mind that was kind of what I was doing with those spots, was what I did want to do is get a bunch of kids, twenty guys to come to Texas Tech and tell them they got a chance. And then they come and one guy wins the spot, and we got nineteen guys that are like, well, crap, what do I do now? I really don't want to be here, you know. And so I tried to either say, hey, go play in some summer events. I'll evaluate if you're good enough, I'll give you a spot. But in the meantime, when I was a young coach, I tried a couple of things. A couple of things went wrong or you know, Robert Groom was a really good example. Either ended up being a great player for Sam Houston. But he was at Meadowbrook here in town, and I got the message from like the red bro like, hey, this guy shoots sixty four every day, and You're like, yeah, whatever, right, you know, and I think he really was, but I didn't believe, you know, that he was that good. And it turned out, you know, if I'd have given a chance, he probably would have been good. But we traded some messages online yesterday and he's like, hey, ended up being off for the good. I met my wife there, blah blah blahlah. So happens for a reason. But but I've had a few guys that have been pretty bitter that that I haven't had a true walk off process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounded like there were some emotions going on the tweeters, yester. Yeah, yeah, I do like them. I walk on.
Speaker 3: It'd be like Monagall. It's like walk on whin the US? Aminary whin the US? Say you can walk on and see.
Speaker 2: We had one really good story real quick. Brian Bowie, good player, uh from New Mexico. He wanted to walk on and this was after I think I I I had decided, Yeah, this isn't a good idea, and I think I told him he come out here and we'll we'll do something before the school starts. And he actually played pretty good. But then I said, you know what, I'm not going to take you. And he came in my office and I still remember to this day, and he just he pointed at me, goes, he goes, I'm from New Mexico and I'm going to go brian Erlaker under your ass and show you that you made the wrong decision. And uh, I just remember, you know, Irlacker was from New Mexico. He's from New Mexico. And he left the room like I kind of like that kid's fire. I kind of want to go find yeah, go pull him by the parking lot, go. I changed my mind, but I didn't hit. He went on and played somewhere and did pretty good. And I think he actually played some Bay Tours for four or five years, and guy was pretty good. So probably just another kid that could have played for US back in the day.
Speaker 3: But lay Mini Tours for four or five years. That's a good way to lose about one hundred grad Yeah, it's not bad. That's not a bad way to go about it. Montagail. Actually, yeah, fort Worth ben city. Like you said, if you won, or if you beat everyone on the team in the Fort Worth men city, you're in. And one year Drew Lanning who actually ended up playing core Ferry to her full status for like two years so he could play beat all of beat all of us. And I played with him the last day and I was like the only one playing decent. They're like, please beat this guy and then know it hadn't happened. I don't know if it happened in Monagall's deal. And I Drew and I are still friends. We talked today. It's great. The duck we called me from Arkansas and he beat He beat me that day. But the son of a bitch was taking a golf cart. It was one hundred thousand degrees like I was. I was like, had my excuses like piled up in case I took the l but he beat me by like he beat me by like six though it wasn't close. And the next day, and you know how horrible it is in Fort Worth the start of the school year. It's so hot, like right around like it's so that that old stadium, there's no way it passed any zoning code. It's built like it goes up to like it's like a Mayan temple. It's like, straight up, we had to go ten stadiums and that doesn't sound like a lot to people. That's like, no freaking joke. That's probably two miles. We had to meet there at like six am and run stadiums because he beat all of us. So then he shows up. Then we have workouts after and he shows up to workouts because he's on the team now, and we all we were so pissed and it he could had no idea why everyone freaking so pissed it up. We just ran the Mayan Temple of workouts. Great guy, though, hell of a player. Freaking play corn ferry to a couple of years. Oh my god, freaking situation.
Speaker 1: Stadiums do you make do you make your guys do stadiums or do you all have an entirely different strength coach that does everything.
Speaker 2: You're gonna love this bed. But we about about uh right, four or five years ago, you know with a couple of people, uh not at tech but across the country that you know you'd hear about these horror stories where a kid would collapse and something would happen because they're you know, coach got Madam bett Ron and and and they came to us and I don't know if this is a conference thing or n C double eight thing. I don't think it's just a tech thing. And they go, you guys cannot do anything physical to punish the kid to be born nothing, And try try to figure out what to do. When you can't punish a kid for doing something stupid without being going physical, it's kind of hard to do. So I always have a joke. I'd have a joke. The first couple of years, I'd go go sit in the corner and think about what you did, you know, or something like. I couldn't think. I couldn't think of what to do. Yeah, we just started started adding shots on the qualifier a two shots league year or whatever. But but yeah, it's uh, it's we can't do anything physical anymore. But we used to. I mean we used to do some crazy stuff. We used to. I think I had to run run around the golf course a few times whenever you have a bad practice. So you know, we'd go, hey, you go take a couple laughs, you know, or something like that.
Speaker 3: That doesn't seem bad.
Speaker 1: The worst thing I've ever seen, The worst thing I've ever seen was in high school. I don't know if you've ever heard Trampis Wilson stories. Yeah, I have. I'm sure you know Trampis. But Trampis was my coach at Caskell. He was a football coach, coaching golf and one of the one of our kids got caught with a candid dip in the middle of a qualifying ground. And coach Wilson was a dipper. He was a dipper. He dipped off all day, all day, every day, and he was trying this kid was trying to hide it, and Wilson saw him. And we're turning on the ninth at the Hills Course, ninth at Pecon Valley Hills Course, were going to number ten. He saw him on the ninth fairway. So he's waiting for him there on ten t at the Hills coourse, you know, dog leg laugh there and I'm playing with the kid, and Wilson looks over says, Thomas, you got your dip in the day. Thomas says, yes, sir, I am. He said, all right, let me see that can. And this was a full candid dip. He' taken like two or three inches out of this thing. He goes, all right, Thomas, I want you to put this entire candid dip in your mouth. I want you to and I want you to bear crawl from the tea box to the green and back with your bag on It's September in Fort Worth, Texas with a full mouth of Copenhagen, eight hundred yards bear crawl with your bag on the back. He didn't make it back. He didn't make it back. He puked and he collapsed like in the middle of the fairway. And now that was the worst thing I'd ever seen. I was like, oh my god, dip again. He didn't. But just can't do that. Can't do that ship anymore. He just can't do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Anthony Kidd was the greatest at playing because he could you couldn't do it during the round and he was such a good player, and but we all knew like he just had this a little bit, a little bitty you know, faty end during during the during the day and and uh, but he he'd go he'd go full well, pitty, poor whole with a little secret dip in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can't do that in college, right, I mean, that doesn't make sense because everybody's ever eighteen. But I never understood exactly Coach.
Speaker 3: We were talking about Spencer Levine a couple ago, and he'll say, you know, he doesn't smoke anymore, but he would go in the porta potties and tournaments and there would be smoke clouds coming out of the events of the porta potty. He would rip like two skigs and it's just like it looked like a freaking locomotive coming down then coming down the traps.
Speaker 2: He's the only guy that if there was a backup, like you know at college goth there's always the part baas backed up with more groups, you have a team. But he'd love though, He's like, where could I go rip a sod? Yeah, thirty minutes to go here?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. He didn't care if it's disqualification, loss of scholarship, like zero, shit's given. Like he was going to burn skigs in the porta potty on whatever hole it was every single time. Man, that's freaking awesome, coach, thanks for coming man. Yeah, absolutely, I know. It was a totally bad life decision by you coming on here. But we're pretty tame, right, people will give us a way. I think we get a bad rep at.
Speaker 2: Least I know now why I didn't get Peterson. I couldn't figure out the whole. I mean, I never knew like they got pretty much verbally committed to us. He says, we got the kid. We're like celebrating, and the next thing you know, he just went am I like ghosted us. Oh we had no idea why, But now I know, so it was worth worth getting on here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, Texas text stilling is hard. I promised you.
Speaker 1: I mean it was the biggest scholarship offer I had other than LSU. I think he'll offered me like ninety percent or something like eighty five percent. It was it Oscar Florin's Oscar Florn was leaving and so it freed his up and y'all were giving it all to me or something. I don't know. It was an awesome offer. And uh, but Lsu is a full ride. We were terrible. We were terrible, but we we ended up not being terrible when we were done, So that was good.
Speaker 2: It's nice to come on with two guys that broke my heart. Although JJ, you know, I didn't know what I was going to do.
Speaker 3: You got me, coach, got me into TCU. I was I was about to Uh, I don't know what I was going about to do. Go to the army or something. I have.
Speaker 1: It was lasted two weeks in the army. Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I remember it was North Texas, Rice and U T s A. Which which are kudos to get in like I offered a Rice. You got to be some sort of genius to get in that place. But but anyway, that was it. Yeah, well they hell they to the the two that got away.
Speaker 1: Well look at us now, look at us all. Now we're all friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: If we had eligibility, you're our guy. We're coming immediately, man, you need to Yeah, Ludvig, we're coming. Call you're done, hey, Pete and I will smoke those two guys.
Speaker 1: In the days of six years of eligibility, we still got two years.
Speaker 3: P Do you think we can be Ludvig and calendar number two and three or one and three in the in the in the world college, we could best ball.
Speaker 1: Maybe if we scramble, we scramble in their best ball. Maybe maybe possibly.
Speaker 2: Think about to rees. J J got them out there at the home.
Speaker 3: My god, dude, there's multiple statues in me at rest for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna. That's it. I'm trying to get down that. Okay, we're done. That's coach Saands.
Speaker 3: This is ftp Audios.