Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I have Where Did It Go?
Speaker 3: I have a quick health update from the health desk Okay, the tuberculosis outbreak in Kansas.
Speaker 1: I woke up this morning and the first thought was, get me some TB news.
Speaker 3: This may not be the largest outbreak of the disease in history, but it is still significant because it's happening now. Two people have died since this outbreak started last January, and as of last or as of this week, sixty seven people in Kansas being treated for active tuberculosis, most of them in why in Dota County.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I'm saying that right.
Speaker 4: Sounds good.
Speaker 3: Another seventy nine people have what they refer to as latent TB. They said that seventy nine active TV cases and two hundred and thirteen latent cases in those two counties where this outbreak is happening.
Speaker 2: They're not saying exactly one.
Speaker 1: It is a day of walking things back in Washington. It's where we kick off swamp watch the Politician.
Speaker 5: Which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 2: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 4: The other side never quits.
Speaker 6: So what I'm not going anywhere, So that now you train the.
Speaker 4: Swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been.
Speaker 5: You know, Americans have always been gone at President.
Speaker 2: They're not stupid.
Speaker 3: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Whether people voted for you with not swamp watch, they're all counting on.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the Fed Reserve since it just came down a second ago. The Federserve analysis going to keep interest rates at the same level that was set last month. Although I mean that part of it's not a surprise. The surprise is this goes against the wishes of the new president. The FED Open Market Committee agreed unanimously to hold the target federal funds rate at between four and a quarter and four and a half percent. This is the just breaks, I should say, the three meeting streak of cuts that dated back to September when they rolled out their first rate cuts.
Speaker 1: Since March, well, they're waiting to see what the impact of Trump's policies will be They're gonna wait and see what's going on before they try and see what needs stabilizing.
Speaker 4: In that vein.
Speaker 1: The White House Office of Management and Budget has walked back that memo that ordered a freeze on federal assistance. This led to a lot of chaos, a lot of confusion around the country as to which federal programs exactly would be impacted.
Speaker 2: There's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Wrinkle in all of this that's going on because so the President signed this executive order on federal funding. It was immediately challenged and it was supposed to go into effect a two o'clock our time yesterday. Just before that happened, a judge issue to stay on that and said that she could do a temporary restraining order. She had scheduled a meeting for Monday or a hearing for Monday. Then this morning this news came out that OMB walked back their memo that ordered the freeze on federal assistance. Now, Caroline Levitt, the White House Press Secretary, said this is not a recession of the federal funding freeze. It's just taking back the memo that OMB put out, and the reason, she said was to end any confusion created by the injunction that was posted yesterday just before the cuts were supposed to take place. She said in a tweet. The President's executive Order on federal funding remains in full force and effect and will be rigorously implemented. I don't know if she you can do that because of the injunction that was posted by the court, But.
Speaker 2: So that's what's going on there.
Speaker 3: The other big deal in DC today is that RFK Junior is sitting for his first confirmation hearing. Democrats have been hammering him on vaccine, comments, on his stance on abortion, although he agrees with most of them on that side of the aisle about the issue of abortion. Kennedy, of course, was running as an independent because the Democrats didn't want him to challenge Joe Biden. Then he ended up supporting Trump in the presidential campaign when he announced that he was going to drop out of the race right during the Republic I'm sorry, right during the Democratic National Convention. So he has been answering all kinds of questions about his actual view on vaccines, despite what Democrats have been pushing about him being anti vaccine. He even referenced a book that he wrote ten years ago. The first line of the book is I am not anti vaccine, And he says the last line of the book is I am not anti vaccine.
Speaker 1: And there was a tense moment between him and Elizabeth Warren. She asked whether he could or would continue to take money from lawsuits he referred against drug companies. There is a law firm that employs his son that is leading litigation against Merk over alleged serious side effects from a vaccine guard Gasil guard Ghasil Gardasil. Kennedy has said to be as profited from a consulting deal with this firm, and under his ethics agreement, would retain a ten percent stake of fees.
Speaker 4: Awarded by the court.
Speaker 1: Warren asked, you won't go to work for a drug company after you leave HHS, But you and I both know there's another way to make money. Then she asked him whether he'd declined compensation from lawsuits against drug companies during his government service and for four years afterward. He said he'd certainly commit to foregoing compensation while he's secretary. I mean, I don't know it's dirty when you make money from going after drug companies, but at least you're going after big Pharma.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, if you're gonna the enemy of my enemy may be my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah or the friend of mine.
Speaker 4: I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Oh whatever, So anyway.
Speaker 3: Oh, I wanted to play this because there was a question specifically about an old sound Hugaryan Shane.
Speaker 7: Then what's going on in the Old Swamp Watch intro? There was a part that went something like, Gwampwamp is a bad dude.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me play that corn pop? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why was that hard to remember?
Speaker 3: Baddoo that was the corn pop was a bad dude, but he only heard Wampwamp was a bad corn pop?
Speaker 4: You remember corn pop?
Speaker 1: He was the guy at the community pool where Joe Biden worked that was a bully and Joe Biden was haveing nun of corn Poply.
Speaker 7: That went something like, womp is a bad dude corn pop. I have no idea what that's supposed to mean corn pop, although it's turned into a nice song. Gwompwamp was a bad dude. Gwampwamp was a bad bad dude. I'll stop, but if it's in your head now, you're welcome. Have a great day of folks.
Speaker 4: Thank you ain't you gonna be singing that all day?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: You sound like bugs bunny.
Speaker 2: Kids are dumb. There's a story.
Speaker 3: A survey people by Education Week says that seventy seven percent of educator's report that kids are having difficulty handling pencils, pens, and scissors, fine motor skills, fine motor scar in the toilet.
Speaker 5: Here's a kicker.
Speaker 8: I have learned that this started almost twenty years ago, is when it started to be an issue.
Speaker 2: What happened now?
Speaker 8: I just had a conversation maybe two years ago with my kids pediatrician where she was seeing studies that showed that because kids live in such a two dimensional space on screens all the time, that they are struggling with three dimensions, their brains are struggling exception. No, it's not that their death they can see, but it's just that their brains can't process spatial awareness. And it's weird because we've also decided that having an immense awareness of space is some kind of a sign of genius.
Speaker 5: Are high intelligence day behind me?
Speaker 2: Okay, you might want to move away from start to start time? You couldn't wait for the commercial break.
Speaker 3: No, My favorite part of the show today, By the way, is when Ellen k came down and she was talking to us about the concerts that's tomorrow night fire a La, and she had this big her eyes got really big at one point and she said, I didn't know when we were on the air or off the air.
Speaker 2: Because the stuff like this.
Speaker 5: Literally tips falling out of her mouth. Try to eat them.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see how how deep she gets into this chicken burrito.
Speaker 5: I'm an award winning journalist.
Speaker 4: What listen, I know I had to be playing around.
Speaker 5: I'll take down Dave. We saw come after you next fair and evidently I'll punch you today.
Speaker 3: Your tooth has been bothering you. So you went and got some fake They had.
Speaker 4: Some bake Ora Jellens.
Speaker 8: She came back into the room like she had just had oral surgery, Like she's loopy.
Speaker 5: In the head, Like my mouth is done.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't know what I'm doing. Just realize I cannot be held the.
Speaker 6: Catle over my actions a mile topographical that we gottle o ointments. It crowds to no longer hold me responsible as an adult.
Speaker 2: Says it on the back.
Speaker 4: It feels so much better.
Speaker 2: I am surprised. They don't have just a little, you know, needlefull heroin in there for you.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna try heroin now.
Speaker 2: A couple of big stories that we are following.
Speaker 3: Uh, it looks like President Trump is going to sign the Lake and Riley Act here. This will be the first legislation to get a signature since he went back into the White House.
Speaker 2: Named in the memory of Lake and Riley.
Speaker 3: This nursing student killed by an illegal alien in Georgia would allow the detention of undocumented immigrants accused of theft related crimes. He had apparently been released many times on those theft related crimes before being accused of murder. Fed Reserve kept their interest rates level. Investors widely expected that the decision to maintain the current level does pause a series of three consecutive interest rate cuts imposed by the Fed over the final months of last year. And the National Weather Services it is cold and getting colder. We could see temperatures into the mid twenties in some parts of La County tonight into tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: Did we ever play the thing?
Speaker 5: This is by far my favorite day to be here.
Speaker 3: I just why why you're low grade high?
Speaker 4: I don't think it makes you high. You guys, it's Origella.
Speaker 8: At nineteen year old on a zema right now, like it's very strange to see you to the bubbles.
Speaker 4: Don't understand institution.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Justin she has this has been dry January, probably the most chemically intoxicated.
Speaker 5: She's what's true.
Speaker 8: I am sorry. I did not know that was that was that was just below my Dave. We the backle of the previous.
Speaker 4: It's okay, it's all right. I'm basically dying of a toothpain.
Speaker 3: No, and I'm sorry. Of Justin Warshon was joined as we talk about parenting stuff. Uh and you're still parent yep.
Speaker 5: So far.
Speaker 1: So I sorry, sorry interrupting, interrupting party of one. I was reading People magazine last night and it came across an article about a documentary on HBO. An Update on our Family is the name of the documentary, and it opened me up to this whole world I did not know existed, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Terrified of it.
Speaker 1: And it is people who have kids and go on YouTube and chronicle their entire lives with their kids.
Speaker 4: Husbands are in on it, wives kids.
Speaker 1: They document everything from sun up to sundown and they make money off of it, sponsorships and stuff.
Speaker 4: And the whole thing is that.
Speaker 1: Like some people have babies just to get more followers, because when baby news happens, there's a an obvious bump in followership. And the more followers you have, the more lucrative endorsements you have, and all of that.
Speaker 4: It's terrifying how prevalent it is.
Speaker 8: I every time you hear about this, where you know, like I've yet to see a successful family have a reality show, and that's a great point, like come out and be like everything was great, like we maintain just and you start to wonder, like is a lot of the drama produced because they need to make it interesting or does it become this thing where your job has now become interesting so you have to manifest drama in your life where normally there might not be any. Or is it a genuine reflection that just most family struggle, like most people are just struggling to have what we would like to be a regular normal life. I don't know, but this seems like just a horrible reason to have a family.
Speaker 5: And I just like when my son who wanted he wants.
Speaker 8: To be an actor, he came to be when it's eight and I just flat out told him no, I'm like because, and he's like why, and.
Speaker 5: I go, statistically, it doesn't break well for you.
Speaker 2: Because dads are built to squash dreams.
Speaker 8: Exactly, Thank you, Gary. I thought I was doing my job to make him creative. Right, he has to have an abusive father so he can lash out and write negative characters his fathers and movies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all he wanted to do is work. He just wanted to work.
Speaker 8: Hate every family movie ever made where the dad is like, I'm just trying to pay for you in this three thousand square foot house. But I'm the animal, I'm the villain. Oh, we're only happy when dad's not working.
Speaker 5: Evidently I'm coming in hot and I apologize.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for day.
Speaker 5: I don't. Yeah, I mean, how why would you have?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 5: You don't. You don't make a person for content. That's not a reason to have it.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what they take is is that you're making things for content. You're using your family for content, and it's disgusting and.
Speaker 8: The volume of time that your kids like you. Just hear so many interviews of people who grow up in entertainment and now they have to learn about dealing with the idea that all of their mistakes are publicized whereas ours aren't. Right, Like, we get to screw up and nobody really knows. But if somebody who's famous screws up or they have a million followers on YouTube, it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to hide from that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I still like there was a couple I saw documentary. I think it was a documentary on like I think it was maybe you porn or something or porn hub is like some kind.
Speaker 2: Of there was a this where you watch your documentaries?
Speaker 8: Yeah, why is that not? It's a great there's a lot of them. I've got I haven't even scratched the surface, it seems, but really short anyway about the site.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was.
Speaker 8: About like the development of the porn hubs. And I think there was like there or something. There was a family that was there. Oh no, it was Ashley Madison. I'm sorry all of the greats that I'm going through, but there was a family that they were like a good Christian couple. And then it came out that this that the husband who was on this YouTube channel, that they were a good Christian couple. He was having multiple affairs through Ashley Madison, and then he had to kind of deal with that publicly because people started finding out when there was a data leak about who was on Ashley Madison and his name came up. So like, I just and it's rough, right, Like how like I just don't know of anybody who comes out of that okay where the family seems good? But how many of your friends have families that you would say like they're doing great, like maybe or maybe not even great, but just good.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, there I can think of a few, a handful probably that probably overshare about stuff, but they only overshare the most positive stuff. And you know it can't be all positive. It just can't. There's just no way.
Speaker 8: Well, and I'm even saying, like in your circle of friends, all of our circle of friends, I would say probably my perception is that at least seventy percent of my friends have a really good family life, like things are good?
Speaker 5: Right? Is that? Do you think that I'm wrong about that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: What's your definition of good? I mean, not like your marriage is on the rocks. Yeah, not the marriages on the rocks. The kids are being neglected or or like out of line.
Speaker 2: It may not be easy but it's good.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, yeah, I don't know about seventy percent, but I mean cause I think I think people would be They're less likely to share with you the information that would make you think that it is not so good.
Speaker 8: And that's a great because I've made this joke recently. I was hanging out with people and I'm not good at that. Like I say everything like I don't. I don't I say the things I mess up. I say the things.
Speaker 5: That I succeed at. I don't. People tell me all the time, Like, that's probably something you shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Be telling you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you come in here and do it.
Speaker 5: Everyone.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about emotional well, which one do you want?
Speaker 1: You want a hardest age or let's talk about emotional emotional.
Speaker 8: Regulation the emotional So what they found is that the common factor or the best way or the parent who has the most impact on a kid who can regulate their emotions is a father, because fathers are prone to like they use the example of rough house, like rough housing while while you're wrestling with your kid and you have a smile on their face and they feel like they're doing stuff that's rough, but they never get hurt. Right, that that teaches them to kind of deal with a little bit of anxiety. And dads are also prone to like push their kids to more risky situations.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: As an example, my kids used to jump on our bed and we would do a pillow fight. Yeah, many many days, many many days out of the week. And the rule was the first person who cries the first cry. Yeah, game's over, games over all things shuts down and kick.
Speaker 9: Out of those kids start out fun and funny and like, you know, push them over and get old like yeah, somewhere in that in that vein, but not eighteen No, No, we tried that once.
Speaker 2: It didn't worry.
Speaker 3: You cried, But there was a time when I would ramp up, you know, you'd get it, and then there was like, this is going to go on forever unless one of these guys cry.
Speaker 2: So I just rare back and what.
Speaker 4: Am throw a kid against a wall?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: I never did that.
Speaker 3: I would just knock him off the bed because that at least the floors carpeted.
Speaker 2: You would purpose.
Speaker 4: What I'm hearing is you would purposefully make your children cry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what a father does, Shannon.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yeah, I'm regulating their emotions.
Speaker 4: Interesting else is teaching them.
Speaker 8: To deal with the negative experience, which that's to me is I really can resonate with that. Like I really think that that's what dads do.
Speaker 1: Is that this whole I left all the corporal punishment up to my brother.
Speaker 2: I think, oh what they outsourced.
Speaker 1: It in terms of being thrown against a wall and things like that pillow fight, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: He do that to you?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, but your dad wasn't a guy who would wrestle or do any now, but what do he make you do? Like kind of scary things like, I don't know, go out on a fishing boat.
Speaker 4: Or something something that makes you go You wouldn't know what to do with a fishing boat?
Speaker 5: Okay, did you.
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: That was my brother too.
Speaker 5: What did you What kind of stuff did you do with your watch?
Speaker 1: Mafia movies, football games, go to the Wiener Schnitzel.
Speaker 8: I still think, I mean, honestly, I think Stitzel and Mafia movies definitely count as we're taking risks, right, Yes, Like it's a scary movie, probably a little bit beyond your years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: That makes you feel a little uncomfortable?
Speaker 1: What about in your house. Who's the emotional who drives the emotional trains?
Speaker 5: How dare you don't I'm not going to step on that landmark.
Speaker 1: I was just curious if it's the woman in any of these situations, it definitely is.
Speaker 8: I'm probably I would say my wife is closer to the Gary emotional spectrum than she is to uh your for that like easily. But I'm also the guy, Like we just had this, we went through this with I was starting to tell Gary off the air. My thirteen year old came and said, I want to get a job. And my wife's first reaction was you're too young to have a job, and I said, no, give it a shot. And then I talked to her in private. I said, let's not tell him that he's too young, Like, let him go try to figure out. He found a local place that was within walking distance of our house and he wanted to go there to do the thing where you say, hey, I want to get a job, and she's like, well, go drive him, and I'm like, no, he can walk, he's got a phone.
Speaker 4: It's as initiative, yes.
Speaker 8: Yes, And so I want to get that to me is like kind of what they're talking about a big praise of myself.
Speaker 5: I'm crushing it like these dads in this study.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true, that's good.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think initiative should be rewarded, especially we're talking yesterday about kids coming out of college and they're getting fired because they don't show initiative.
Speaker 8: Right, they don't know what to do. And that's and again, all of this was uncoached. It just came out of nowhere. The only coaching I gave him was like here, like I kind of role played the scenario, would say, well, what are they going to ask?
Speaker 5: Or what should I ask?
Speaker 8: And I talked him through it, and he wanted to go through every possible scenario. And I just told him, I said, listen, there's so many variables. It's not worth planning to this level.
Speaker 4: You should drop them off at Chris Little's house.
Speaker 5: Oh, he'll run him through the ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the interview, he would. He was kind of known for asking bizarre questions like you say, you were dropped in at the bottom of a blender, how would you get out?
Speaker 2: How do you get out?
Speaker 4: How do you get out?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, I didn't even make it to the interview. When I applied past the writing exam. I will I'm going to come up with some fun scenarios.
Speaker 4: That's a writing exam, not when I submitted to be.
Speaker 8: When I was working here, I tried to be an anchor at one point on the weekend or overnight, I.
Speaker 4: Failed HN exam at Fox News in New York.
Speaker 5: I have that in common. Then, only mine was name.
Speaker 4: All the justices.
Speaker 2: On the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like twenty two.
Speaker 2: I do like that. It's no business.
Speaker 3: Male parents tend to be more supportive of their kids taking risks. But I think there's at least a percentage of that, which is I don't care what you do for a dad, Like I'm gonna. I'm gonna I'm gonna start to see the difference between diesel and gasoline, like, which warns Hotter, you'd be like, okay, learned age, You're gonna learn something.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're gonna learn the difference.
Speaker 5: Yeah I am. I've always been wired.
Speaker 8: As emotional as I am about my kids, I have always been wired to let them fail because I, like I told my son, I go, either you're going to get a job, or you're going to learn from this experience. I go, don't try to overplan and over calculate the whole thing. I said, just go and try it. You've never done this before, so it's unreasonable to expect yourself to be good at it. Plan that you're just going to go in there and either do it or you're going to learn something. And that's all you got to do. And he got the job. So it all worked out for him, and I was wrong. I definitely thought he was not going to get a job.
Speaker 3: You're like, dang, I missed that opportunity just to do my due diligence.
Speaker 1: You do live in the valley. This is not adult related, is it.
Speaker 5: No? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: At the age of thirteen, yeah, jesus.
Speaker 1: He can operate the boom or something. The boom like the microphone, Oh.
Speaker 5: The microphone? Like okay, yeah, I see on.
Speaker 4: Like, are sure you know where he's working?
Speaker 5: I do know what he's working.
Speaker 8: I mean, could they be playing like Piegal out of the back for money?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, you need the address. I've been Jones for air.
Speaker 5: You're on the air.
Speaker 2: I just randomly picked illegal.
Speaker 5: Look how it activated her?
Speaker 8: Like the Ora Joe wore off and it's when you mentioned gambling she came alive.
Speaker 3: Adrenalin does amazing things, and justin thank you as always, Ora je War. You miss any part of our show, you can always listen to the podcast. Go to KFI dot com, slash Gary and Shannon anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 2: Just type in Gary and Show. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app