Speaker 1: You're listening to an Airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Monsterhouse presents Monster Talks, a proud member of the Airwave Media podcast Network, home of such shows as Subtext, The Projection Booth and The Daily Meditation Podcast. If you'd like to advertise on the show, contact sales at advertisedcast dot com.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, hairy creature, partape, part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland. If a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and.
Speaker 1: I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 3: I grew up hooked on documentaries As a teen. I would plan my evenings around PBS shows, especially on Sunday night when they would show the series Nature, which often featured repackaged content from the BBC. Sometimes I would even stay up late and be tired on Monday mornings at school because I'd been binging documentaries past a sensible bed time. One time this actually paid off pretty well when I had stayed up quite late and ended up falling asleep in Biology, which was an early part of my school day. I woke up with the teacher calling me out for sleeping. Mister Smith, if you know so much about venus fly traps that you think it's okay to sleep through the lesson, why don't you tell the class about them?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Normally this is where a student should be apologizing for sleeping in class. Snap to attention and begin to take hyper attentive notes for a bit until the fierce eye of the teacher passes on to other matters. But guess what the previous night's documentary had been about? So I stood up and gave a fact filled summary of the nature of carnivorous plants. I talked about the triggering mechanism for what brings the specialized leaves together when they trap prey. I described the digestive process related species and everything I could recall about them, which was enough that when I finished, my teacher stared at me for a moment before saying, maybe the greatest thing a teacher's ever told me, excellent summary. You may go back to sleep. We talk about so many monsters on this show that are biologically implausible, but I also love it when we're able to discuss real world animals. That have become monsterized by culture. We can't resurrect dinosaurs, but there are very large birds in some countries that certainly aimate some of the ecological niches that used to be filled by dinosaurs. And yes, current thinking is that birds are the descendants of dinosaurs and it shouldn't take much convincing for that idea if you come face to face with the subject of this week's episode, the Castilewary. We're pleased today to talk with Steve Portugal about these amazing and often misunderstood creatures.
Speaker 1: More instrutal.
Speaker 4: Say. My name is Steve Portugal. I'm a biologist, zoologist academic at rural Holloway University of London and I've had a childhood or since childhood obsession with animals, which I've been able to turn into a job, which is ace and I've been studying birds for about twenty years now and my job entails teaching students, doing research and hopefully trying to help animals in the wild to cope with the crazy amount of environmental change that they're experiencing.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, Yeah, thank you so much for joining us and Steve, I came across an article that you had were partly written and had been interviewed for in which you were called Stuart instead of Steve, which was interesting. But you were talking about a creature that has fascinated me for a very long time from my home country Australia, and we've had lots of queries about this animal over the years, and that's the cassowary. And it seems like you're as interested in this creature or even more than us. But we wanted to bring you on to talk about this bird and just how amazing it is, this dinosaur like creature. So can we just start with a little bit of information about casterwerries and what they look like and how big they are, their diet, where you can find them, that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: There are certainly special, special birds and they're so unique. And when you visit Australia and you visit regions where cassowaries are found, you feel the pride from the people that live there for these enigmatic creatures that you don't really find anywhere else in the world. So castories are these group of flightless birds called d ratites, which are often referred to as kind of the ancient birds that sort of one of the first birds as we know it today to kind of emerge, if you like, from for many, many years ago, and they are striking for their size. Adult castamories can be up to six feet tall until they truly look you in the eye when you're stood in front of them, and they can weigh up to around forty five to fifty kilograms, so they are packing quite a punch, and ironically, I guess for something that is so large. Most of the time, their diet consists of fruit, fruit, and more fruit, and where they're found throughout Australia or rather the tropics of Australia and Papua New Guinea, they eat around two hundred and thirty to two hundred and forty different fruits, different plant species, and in these regions they are actually the main seed distributes there. So they're basically like pillars of the ecosystem. They are distributing all these different species and all these seeds around the environment, and they are the primary sort of seed distributor. So we look at them and to think, wow, aren't they amazing, But they also have this incredibly important role in the ecosystem, and without them, you start to see real issues with forest biodiversity. And it starts to all go a bit wrong. So they're pretty special birds for so many reasons.
Speaker 3: Let me reiterate what Karen said earlier about thank you for joining us for all our castle queries. These are beautiful and colorful birds, but they've got this very strange structure on their head. And I've seen it written, but I've never heard it spoken. Is it pronounced cask? Yeah, that's correct, Okay, I take it. There's some I don't say controversy, but some mystery around what exactly its role is. And I'm always curious about how people sort of figure these things out. You know, are they is it serving some you know, survival biological need or is it a sexual selection thing? Is it for cooling? Is it for acoustics? Do you know what the latest is on what this is probably for? And I'm not saying it's a single purpose, you know, biology, but obviously evolution multipurposes wherever it can.
Speaker 4: I think controversy, I think it is a fair fair word. Actually, I certainly has caused people to disagree quite quite vehemently on this. To actually say, one of the ideas is that it acted like a sound resonator, so cast worries and the males that do this sort of territorial mating call. They have this this amazing low low frequency call that can travel for miles and it's sort of on a level where if you stood near them, you feel it in your stomach like you're being a really loud gig or a concert by the speaker. You know, it rumbles in your tummy. And it was thought that this this cask may helped to do that a bit like it's thought that it helps sperm whales increase the sort of the sound that they create. Perhaps how dinosaurs like the duck build dinosaurs parasoral office, et cetera. It's thought they used the similar head design to create to create the sound. Then it was suggested it stopped them getting smacked in the face when they were moving at speed through this dense rainforest. But as you've alluded to, the current thinking is actually is to do with some elements of thermoregulation. It's got this kind of bizarre and fascinating spongy structure inside it, and what studies have shown using infrared cameras, you know, looking at the heat signal, that different parts of the cask can lose more heat at different times, So it looks like it might be something to do with with heat, but why it's just in them and not their relatives like em use they were also getting pretty toasty. It's not entirely clear.
Speaker 1: Interesting, yeah, is and it is such a unique element of this bird. And we're using all of these terms like beautiful and unique and special. But cassowarries have also been called dangerous and even called the world's most dangerous bird. So is this true? And can you tell us a little bit about what makes them so dangerous.
Speaker 4: They've definitely got that reputation, haven't they. The interesting thing is, it's obviously not to take anything away from a single instance, but there's only one known recorded incident of a person being killed by a cassowary in the wild in Australia. That was back in nineteen twenty six. I believe that it all was sick and it was a thirteen year old boy. It was two brothers and we found an adult female. I believe it was in their shed. She was a drumming doing around doing castaworry things and they panicked and they started to hit it with a pipe and a stick that they had in the shed. Then they ran away, and castawarries have this strange response, like quite a lot of animals do, if you start running, They're like, okay, we're running, We're gonna with you. Unfortunately, the oldest boy tripped and then the castawary basically I believe, kicked him from behind when he was faced down on the ground, and their claws, which are about five inches long, unfortunately happened to go into his jugular.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, oh boy.
Speaker 4: So it's a very sad story, it is. You know, they can't take anything away from that. That's a horrible thing to happen. The only yeah, exactly, yeah, And the only other instances are actually in the US where people are legally allowed to just keep them as pets like they can with chimps and other things, and like with chimps and other things, often goes horribly wrong because it turns out these things are not really meant to be pets. But it's just the one, one wild example. There have been other injuries. But part of the issue at the moment is that people, I guess, this is something that's persisting in many facets of our life, that you know that they they see a castawerry on the beach, and rather than give it lots of space, they go up to it, get their phones out, try and video it close up. And what happens often is the light shines off the back of their phone and castaworries, like many birds, are just fascinated. They're nosy, so they start to approach to investigate. Then the people panic and run, and then the situation escalates really really rapidly. So often some of these incidences where people have been injured never actually there's never an incidence of a severe injury. I hate to say. I would say ninety percent of the time. It's people not giving them the space and respect that they that they need as wild animals. You know, when more people die here from donkeys, et cetera than castawarry, so they're to be respected, and I believe all wildlife should be respected. I hate seeing this instant response to people just to touch it and fuss it and get a photo. I'm sorry, kid. Actually this is in Australia and in the South they try to put their toddler on a wild one bat to take a photo. You know, it's terrifying. I mean, one back teeth are they are excellent at cutting through lots of stuff and digging so they could take your finger off. Thankfully, it was one bat just kind of rolled its eyes and wandered off.
Speaker 1: But it would be a lot worse.
Speaker 3: Well it's it could have been worse.
Speaker 1: Been a lot worse.
Speaker 4: Been a lot worse. Yeah, a lot worse. So the the videos that I've seen of Castawory starting to get tense with people. The people are five six foot away, and you should never go up and approach to Casseawory five six foot away, like you shouldn't with most animals. So yeah, their their reputation I think has potentially been exaggerated. It sounds quite a cool story, the world's most dangerous bird, and yes, it could inflict some amazing damage. Yet somehow, actually the instances of death are just just just the one. So I imagine other birds in the world probably cause more deaths than customaries have.
Speaker 3: Well, you raised that set point about the livestock for example. You know, I read recently that the cows kill more people than sharks, and I'm like, well, yeah, and that makes sense if you think about it, because where would a cow run into a shark? But no, seriously, I have looked at a lot of statistics, and farm animals are far more dangerous than most of the scary animals we think of, because you just the circumstances in livestock management or keeping enclosed animals, you're you're extraordinarily close to creatures that don't really want you there, you know. And and some of them are so big that they can just accidentally kill you. But Castlewarry is in particular. My grandfather had an emu for I don't know, ten or twelve years, And so.
Speaker 1: Why did I not know that?
Speaker 3: Well, I may have told you, but it's a strange story because basically he found it running loose on his farm and when he was he must have been seventy, and he and a neighbor wrestled it into the pig pin and it guess what, it tore both of them up pretty bad with his clause he didn't want to be wrestled into a pig pen. But he kept it, and he kept it for in more than a decade as a pet, you know. So it was it was a love. But it was a bit like having a dinosaur. I loved going to see it because its feet looked like a velociraptor, you know, And I think the castwarry has the same sort of huge claws, and I assumed that's partly for defense and partly for being able to dig around and find stuff. But they are incredibly intimidating looking creatures.
Speaker 4: They are, and they have the like like many of their close relatives, they have very big eyes and they really they focus on you with both eyes at once, and you feel like you're sort of staring at something that's kind of yeah, I guess maybe sort of sussing you out and contemplating options.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I looked at your research body and I saw some of that was around stereo vision in different animals. Have you looked at that for the Cassewerry No. I, Whilst work with many birds, I'm not convinced, Like, I don't know what setup would be required to hold a castwery still whilst I look in its eyes and I need to be like half an inch away.
Speaker 4: So maybe that that's something I would volunteer someone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe Paul Hogan do that thing with the fingers and steering and get him hypnotized. There's a reference.
Speaker 4: I mean they can run. I mean they can run like thirty miles per hour. I mean they will if you're in a dense forest or even on a forest path, they will outrun you with ease, and they will out maneuver you with ease. You know. They've got this amazing thing where they can crouch down so their center of mass and it's really low to the ground, so they they're really robust. You know, they're much better at that than say EMUs and rears and ostriches. You know, they're just incredibly maneuverable. Wow, and they don't look I don't like to be rude about ostriches and EMUs, but they can look a little ungainly sometimes they can look a little they could just kind of trip over at any moment, and you don't get that from a cast area. They're far more in that sense, as you've already mentioned. They look far more bipedal dinosaur like, you know, because of how fast they can run and how low to the ground and they crouch, so they can definitely look intimidating, but they're not. They're not out hunting people.
Speaker 1: As they make it sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And when you go to these places, and maybe you've been up to the North Queensland as well, Karen, if you're from of Australia. I appreciate Australia as the size of Europe, but the people there are not living in fear. That's something I noticed immediately. If you say to people, oh, I really wouldn't mind seeing a castawery, If oh, well I try here, They're not like, oh, you're all going to die. It's like I just don't walk up to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe there's some people from overseas just to joke about it. But part of the article that I read was about your personal quest to encounter a caswerry in the wild. So I have relatives in Queensland, but certainly not far north Queensland. It's more around the Sunshine Coast area. So go up a couple of thousand kilometers north and that's where you would have gone. So can you tell us a little bit about this expedition and did you find one?
Speaker 4: So it had been a childhood sort of I guess passion, possibly obsessioned to see wild castlewarries, and I think that partly was I wonder if most children go through the dinosaur phase, and I certainly did from about the age of five nine. It's part of growing up, isn't it. And Obviously, as we've discussed, there's not much in a live today that looks more like a dinsaur than a castiglory. And you know, zoos have their place at times, and I've seen casta worries and zoos, but it's not the same experience as I guess, like sort of researching them, reading up on them and the field craft it takes to actually kind of track things down in a way that you're not invading in their sort of personal space. And so I was in Australia for work and then I sort of was able to separately at the end go up to Kennes because my work had taken me to Melbourne and I had looked fondly at all these photos of these castle worries on the beaches at Mission Beach, and it's such a unique place. I believe it's the only place in the world where tropical rainforest actually meets coral reef. You know, there's there's no gap between it. And that was also to something that I thought, if I have the chance, i'd love to go and experience that, and I like, maybe this might be my only chance. Obviously, Australia is quite a long way away from from London, and so I just took myself up there for four days. I didn't have a car or a means to have a car, so I had to plan out kind of my walking routes well in advance, and I put lots of thought into how to find them and where to find them, and then I didn't really think beyond that. And it wasn't until my mom sort of said, oh, yeah, she's pretty chilled. But she was like, oh, do you have a mobile phone signal when you're in the forest. I was like, no, no, there's no signal.
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I started planning to walk in advance. I was like, well, not exactly. I know roughly where I'm sarting, you're on your rows. Like yeah. She's like, is there venomous snakes? Like it has loads of venom snakes And she was like, okay, a plan. Yeah. But for some reason, I think maybe I was just being quite single, single minded and I hadn't actually, and I've done lots of fool work around the world. I'm very very fortunate to have done that. With work. Part of me is always aware of the dangers of certain you know, snakes are certain insects, and actually I mean, you've probably experienced us, both coming from and living in countries of far more snakes than we have. It takes a lot to actually see a snake. I'd love to have seen more snakes in my life, and I've gone looking for snakes and I never find snakes because they don't really like people there are they run away. So I didn't. I didn't see any snakes in Australia at all. I was quite disappointed. But yeah, so I took myself off to Mission Beach, which I've seen always wonderful picture postcard like images of it, and it completely lives up to it. It really did. There's no filters on those photos that people are showing you of this amazing place. It honestly felt like paradise. It's a cheesy term, but it felt. I just sat there for you, quite quite content, and it was beautiful and feeling very fortunate.
Speaker 1: Really, I've seen just a couple of snakes, maybe garden snakes, slithering in front of me going on a hike once are I encountered a brown snake, but it was a couple of feet away that was coiled up, just sleeping in the sun, and I just kept my distance so yeah, it's absolutely true. I think people have the idea of Australia just being spiders and snakes everywhere. Everything's going to kill you, and it's it's not true.
Speaker 4: I think when I was younger, I mean a lot younger. You know, this is the seventies and long before the internet whatever, I think I had the same image of like certain sort of capital cities and African countries had images of the pride of lions, like you know, walking down what would be the equivalent of oar Oxford Street by the houses of Parliament or something, and of course you know, yeah, and you go to these places and people like, no, you have to like drive for hours and then you have to like be super quiet and you have to do you know, they're not just hang every rafter and every tree. And I'm still amaze actually how people have that image of Australia. They kind of oh, no, you know, you're not scared every time you like, you know, get up in the morning, Like, no, I'm in a house in a major city and I love to see some wildlife other than the invasive introduced minor birds.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's just what you know, and if you haven't experienced it, then all the stereotypes that are out.
Speaker 4: There, absolutely and again, though often a lot of it is fueled now by social media. I keep seeing these clips of visitors to Australia on the beach, having looking rock pools and coming back with one of the blue ring octopus in the hands.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. No, just a quick answert here, because we didn't explain it. A blue ring octopus is an incredibly venomous octopus. They're very small and pretty, but they carry enough toxin inside them to kill more than twenty people. Now, not a lot of people have died from handling them, but it's extraordinarily dangerous toksin. It's the same toxin that's and puffer fish, which I think we discussed in our coverage of zombies. But that's another story.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm terrified of them, and yeah I never step done, unfortunately on the beach, but you see bits and pieces of them strewn around. Yeah, you're very dangerous.
Speaker 4: You don't want to. Yeah, it's this weird thing where people feel like they have the right to just you know, I mean, imagine if people did that to other people. I mattere if I just went to the beach and went along and like started like fussing someone and picking them up. I mean they'd be like, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 1: Like absolutely, yes, how.
Speaker 4: People do that, don't they? There's just this obsession with touching.
Speaker 1: It and like, yes, I guess I instinct to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But there's just the reason I love living in the UK is now animal here. Technically that can kill me unless I really commit to it and do something stupid like fall off the cliff or something. But you know, when I go abroad, you know, I'm not sticking my hands in leaf litter. I'm not putting my hand down tree cavities. You just have to be a bit sensible about it.
Speaker 1: I guess absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Reiterate with Karen. So We've lived in this house for twenty four years and I've seen three snakes. So they're all very tiny, Like I don't the American species, you know, we have like pine snakes, which are you know, four or five inches long, and the ring tailed or ring necked black snakes they're little tiny things. We have garter snakes. We have lots of snakes. There's lots of snakes, but to see them as unusual, I found the skin of a six foot skin, which doesn't mean it was a six foot snake, but it was probably, you know, at least five feet and I put it on the back of my truck and my wife came home and just started screaming. I was like, it's just the skin. She's like, no, no, we got to move. And I'm like, but you.
Speaker 1: Used to have a snake handling church down the street.
Speaker 3: We did when I was in my hometown. We had a snake handling church and that was absolutely full ToxS and snakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope they milk them first. I'm not aware of any deaths there, but we actually had two within twenty miles of my home. Yeah, that was strange, different story.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Castwerries they're important to the ecology. Are they thriving? Are the endangered? How are they doing?
Speaker 4: I mean they're having a terrible time. They are the So there's three species of castawarry. You've got the dwarf castawary, which is utterly adorable, and the northern castawary, and those two are found in New Guinea, and then the southern castavary, which is found in tropical Australia. And they think the numbers an how are as low as five thousand for the southern castle worries just been left in total in the whole of Australia. And the two or three major problems for them are roads and the encroachment of road, direct destruction of the forest, and invasive species like dogs and wild and wild pigs. And the pigs are competitors, they're eating the same food, but also they eat the eggs. If they find tinamus, sorry, if they find castawery eggs, they will eat them. And the dogs are actually directly they will hunt the castle worries in a pack. And there's not really in their evolutionary history casawarries that would have been hunting them in packs. Even dingoes a relatively recent in the big scheme of things. If you're a castawarria species that's been around for you know, thirty million years whatever, and so they're not equipped to deal with a pack of dogs hunting them for hours and just you know, constantly harassing them. And part of the huge problem in particularly the Mission Beach area and around there are these the farmers have have packs of dogs to keep out the pigs, ironically because the pigs eat the crops, but these dogs. They don't have to be leashed and they don't have to be kept within a fenced area.
Speaker 3: I was literally just talking to my kids about this, the dangers of packs of dogs yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like my son about it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They can bring down I mean, it's a big problem for farmers. They can bring down cows. I mean they can bring down and they do overkill sometimes where they just kill everything.
Speaker 4: You know, they kind of get that that kind of urge I don't know what, you know, that's sort of they get. They get excited by what's going on and that they have had instances. And this is why it's so puzzling because Australia, as you probably know, and actually has quite strict dog laws. You know, you're not allowed to own more. You know, it's actually good. Wish we had it in the UK. If you have dogs, you need to have a fenced garden. There's always strict laws, but there's nothing. They're only applying to urban areas and sort of private owners and somehow farmers don't count as private owners. It's essential for their work or something. But they've had they've had people attacked, they've had kids bit and you know, it's a real problem. But when I was there, I tried to sort of to chat with the locals and they were all there were such a lovely group of people, and people didn't really want to talk about it. It was interesting. I don't know if there was an an undertone of I don't know, people did not want to discuss the dog issue or the fact there had been attacks on people. They didn't feel comfortable talking about it, whereas they were very happy talking about the other issues of people speeding and hitting castle worries and the feral pigs and stuff. So it's a really a complex thing, you know, it's not one simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what was going on there. I just maybe a lot of dog owners and they're protective about that.
Speaker 4: I wonder if that was the case. Yeah, because like like all of Australia, there is still a First Nations tribe who are responsible for that area and they still live live in it. And you know, they're saying that the dogs are a huge problem. You know that they're they're being very vocal about it, these dogs, and they actually the farmers for for for fun, they also take their dogs out to hunt the pigs. So so no one's No one's intentionally hunting cassewary as far as I'm aware. Now, it's all I guess, yeah by catch if you like, you know, it's it's it's it's that makes it so complicated. And one thing was interesting was actually I was chatting to people in a pub there and they were saying, you know, most of them were saying, how happy they are. You know, look where we live. We live somewhere with these amazing animals that people from all the world come and see, and I live here, how like I you know, they have a really wonderful, positive attitude. And then there was this small subset who were like, I hate the cast of Worries purely because of the speed restrictions on the roads around here. So they really, yeah, wow, it's insane, isn't it so? But then they all go not that I stick to them anyway. I just drive how fast I want to drive. So it was quite a fascinating sort of human study as well, chatting to people and they very rapidly because I was doing this all by foot, they were a bit like are you okay. It's like yeah, yeah. They'd see me kind of in these random spots and in their drive past of like do you want to lift to towns? Like no, no, I'm I'm intentionally out walking, you know, and they were just like okay. And then by the second night, I was just like the weird English white dude and people, it's amazing. I guess it's not a massive community. So it spread. They were like, oh as soon as I went to like the bar, I said, oh, hello, could I have a pint of beer? Because you sound so British when you're outside of Britain, you sound you know, you go to America, it sounds so ridiculously British and posh. So everyone in the popular oh, you're you're the guy that's here to see a castwary in question, bizarre.
Speaker 1: That's indeed the place to go to the local pub. You'll find out everything, You'll meet everyone, everyone will know about you within a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: Appropriate folks. The pub's not just for role playing games. It's real life.
Speaker 4: That's not you can do. Yeah. And then the second day, actually, when I hadn't seen them, like these three separate random people, I was eating my dinner just brought me a beer like out of like, oh, bless you. Sorry, you haven't seen one.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 4: Nice. Yeah. And then on the Sunday, I forgot about Sunday trading hours, you know, or rather things might shut early, and didn't get out to the pub until about half eight, and they said, oh sorry, we stopped serving food at eight, and I didn't have any food back where I was staying. I think I'd done like thirty seven thousand steps that day or something, and my face must have just looked like I was about to cry something because I don't worry. I've got a frozen pizza. I just go and stick it in the oven. And she just gave me this frozen pizza from her freezer. Wow, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You look at a lot of great communities just in remote parts of Australia, where they really being together and sometimes can really reject people from somewhere else and at other times embrace them. And I think because you were there to see a Catterwerry, you were interested in their community and the ecosystem there, I think that they welcomed you with open arms.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think I also, by like I say, by day two, I looked so pathetic. So I think that I think they despite all of the bugs. For I was covered in like mosquito by it's my feet. Great, it was just I think they were just like, oh bless this strange little man from England. And then but yeah, and then on the last morning they actually was there was a lady there, she's a castawary expert, and they actually rung around and some of the people like extended their morning driving commute and taking the kids to school and stuff just to see if they could find one on the road. And then they were going to ring Ingrid who's the casterawary lady there to then take me to see it, which is to sound believably kind. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was quite I took a lot away from it, beyond just the nature.
Speaker 1: A real adventure for you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely did you.
Speaker 3: Hear any local castowary stories while you were there that were interesting?
Speaker 4: Or I did, and some some good, some bad, I guess. So they feeding castawarries as illegal now because so there was a big cyclone in two thousand and six, cyclone Larry, and it took out a considerable amount of the rainforest. I mean it was awful. I mean, thankfully no one died, but it flattened it basically major chunks of it, and the castawarries were starving to death. They really were. They were all going to die. So started feeding them and they were feeding them chopped fruits in their garden. And there's no doubt that that feeding period got them through until some of the city generated. But the problem was what they found was if someone had fed castabarries and they say they'd lived there for a decade and they moved house, and then the new person came in didn't feed castle worries, the castleries were coming into that person's garden and getting aggressive because they're like, where's my breakfast? You fed me for ten years? Like what's going on? And also that the people were giving them non native fruits, which isn't good for their health. And also it was meaning that they were introducing exotic invasives into the forest because of course they would go and go to the toilet everywhere and suddenly would have passion through growing whatever. For me. Yeah, they're beautiful and smell good too. Yeah, they made it illegal, but a lot of people still do it. So I saw some gardens that were clearly you know, like basically like a giant fruit salad out just for the castle Aries.
Speaker 1: Wow, I got to get up there and see it for myself someday. It is as I said, it's quite some trick from the places I go to when I when I go back home. But yeah, you're painting a very interesting picture.
Speaker 4: It's so worth it. There's this I guess it's like a little sub village called Carmu and it's where I guess trying to be polite as well. I guess if you're quite wealthy, that's where you would live in that area. It's sort of the big houses, you know, with the big gardens, and they are mainly the ones that are still feeding the castle aries, and that's where people go for a walk around this estate because that tends to be where your chances of seeing them are quite high. By it's causing problems because now you know, they go on to the beach and there's people just sat there watching the world go by, and the cast worries approach them expecting food. So it's creating real issue. And again this is not unique to casta worries. This is something that's happening with other animals around the world, and it's just bringing them into contact with people in a non positive way, and yeah, it's it's again it's a tricky one to solve because people go, no, I don't feed the castle worries. Yet when they have castabarries that have been hit by cars and it's a horrible number a year that are hit by cars, they always do an autopsy and their stomachs are just full of exotic fruits which they are not found in.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: So they are clearly still a giveaway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There was a guest house which on the quiet was offering for a fee photo opportunities in their garden because they were accidentally leaving fruit out, and the casta Worries were regular visitors. So there was I won't name the guest house, but they were flaunting the law like not tomorrow with that and making money from it. Yeah, so it was It's a really really tricky scenario. It's not very often you have something of that size of the cast war that is literally wandering around people's gardens and joining you on the beach. You know, it's usual.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not from the etymology, but it really does have the word weary right there in the name. Be weary of them, I mean, enjoy them from a distance, but there's no reason to be engaging with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, And that that's the government slogan is be cass wary.
Speaker 1: It really good and you know that actually sounds familiar now that you say that.
Speaker 4: Signs and and and they really you know, there's so many of the locals as a whole Facebook group, which is like if they see an animal and individual being sighted regularly at one spot, it gets reported and the sign gets put there like a you know, like a slow down. This is a frequent use. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So that there's a huge like impetus by many there to save what they see is like their culture in particularly like I say, the First Nations, they're like, you know, we've lived alongside casseries for you know, millennia, and there's a huge body of people there. But it's being undone at times by by these dogs, by other decisions by you know, I can't remember the exact phrase, but I know there's there's disagreements between the state government and then the local government and the council.
Speaker 1: And gets complicated exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And it means that sometimes the non ideal decision is reached rather than what the local people would want to happen kind of thing. So, but there's so many people are trying so hard to to help them. You know, it's not a case that people don't care. They do. It's just a small minority. Like many things.
Speaker 3: I think about Jurassic Park, and you know, it's always the giant dinosaur running around and causing havoc. But the reality it would be more like this. I think, you know, people trying to keep them as pets, people being complaining because they're having to change their behavior. Yeah, yeah, we had to suck. But are they Are there any casselory myths that you would like to see debunked.
Speaker 4: Ah, that's a good question. Well, I guess the idea that they are. They are dangerous in the same way that here we have red deer, for example, with large deer species and the males have impressive antlers. And I walked up to a wild red deer and struck my face in its face, it would not be thrilled. It would respond by swishing a space at me and wanting me to go away. So I think that what I debunk about the castawary is that they are aggressive, stalking humans and running riot through the streets of North Australia, and just to make people realize that they actually they are solitary. They are timid. They largely do their best to avoid people. And if there are these interactions you see on social media, it's normally because people have either fed them or they are approaching them and scaring them or affronting them. And that's I think what I want to debunk. They are not evil sort of nasty ninjabirds which are attacking people. They are just trying to live their life in an area where they've they've been present for millions of years and now suddenly it's chopped up with roads, as these giant animals and pats trying to kill them, and these strange things on beaches offering them crisps, and think of what they're actually trying to deal with. And I think that would be what I want to debunk.
Speaker 3: You say they're not ninjas, they do sound like fruit ninjas.
Speaker 4: They just I mean, the irony, isn't it. They've got this like five inch claw which goodness me could literally go right through almost yet they're fruit eaters.
Speaker 1: So it's just like ye gorillas.
Speaker 3: And my memory testing my memories is the paku the relative of the product that has the human like teeth, but they only eat plants. I think that's rights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's so many bizarre incidences like that, isn't there? And I mean that the historically, I think that claw would have probably been for a defensive element, and that's largely to defend the young, because of course, you know, the young are incredibly vulnerable when they first hatch, they're really small, and it's dad that does all the parental care. The female just lays the eggs and disappears.
Speaker 1: And that aggressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean she actually a recent study showed that a female has a much larger territory than the males, and in her big territory there would be five male territories, if you like, and she will just spend the year wandering around. She'll spend a bit of time in territory one with you know, Bob, the castawary, and she'll lay some eggs with Bob, and then she'll move on and then she'll go into number two with Tear. She'll have about a month with head and you know, so it's really fascinated. Actually, the difference is quite role reversal compared to most species. She just lays the eggs and then she's off.
Speaker 1: So fascinating. Steve, thank you so much for giving us a different perspective from what you'll find on YouTube and just social media online in general. And I've just got a couple of questions to tie things up with you. But now that you've had this adventure and you've encountered a cassowary in the wild, what's next for you? What are you working on now?
Speaker 4: That's a great question. So at the moment, actually, a lot of my research my work based stuff. As Blake mentioned, I study the eyes of birds and I try to understand how they see the world. And the reason we're doing that is to try and understand why certain species keep flying into human made structures like wind turbines and power lines. And my current work is trying to work with energy companies to negate that to try and solve the problem of the one hundreds of thousands of birds which die through collisions a year worldwide. So that's what I've been up to, and that's involved a bit of travel to study birds that you don't typically find in zoos, So seabirds for example, in the Say show was our last trip, and that that's the current research focus for me.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, well, Steve, thank you so much for talking with us today. We do have our final signature question for first time guests, and I think it's time to spring it on you. What is your favorite monster?
Speaker 4: And that is a great question too, And I guess I'm like, oh, how do you define a monster? I think my I guess this isn't very original in a way, but there's an Australian one called the bun yip. I don't know if you've heard.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, we've talked about the bun yip.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and that's my one of my favorites. And it's because there's two things I like about it. One is this idea that perhaps how the first nations share their history is through stories and this has passed on through generations and generations. And the idea that perhaps the bunyip was actually a real extinct mega marsupial that lived, you know, as they did many years ago, but also more recent stuff suggests that maybe some of it was casse worries they found.
Speaker 1: Written so I didn't know that, wow.
Speaker 4: Written account where they discussed the fact that they found some bunyip eggs that were blue and shiny which Castbories have one of the shiniest eggs along with Tina moves these some crazy crazy eggs, and it made me wonder if, perhaps how cool would it be if if actually they were also contributing to sort of some interesting legends and almost had their own monster equivalent, which I think would be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That is cool. Well, this was such a fun conversation Stevid. It was really great to bring you on and just pick your brains about this, and we'll have to keep in touch and bring you back on to talk about your other work at sometimes.
Speaker 4: Sure, it's been really fun to discuss. Customary is always happy to check Customary.
Speaker 3: That's excellent, excellent, Thank you again, exactly as Karen said, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Bunyan, we did an episode a while back with Paul Michael Donovan from the Federation University of Australia. He had done some work on the Indigenous Bunyan stories and had made a pretty good case that it was actually an indigenous story of an encounter with a seal that had come and I'll send you the link to that if you want to check it out. It's a it's a pretty good story and very it's a very plausible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the caw version.
Speaker 3: I guess the thing is, it's like you would think indigenous people would sort of know that animal. But stories can be you know, they change over time, and sometimes the repeated story they lose their contact. All kinds of things happen. So hard to say, but.
Speaker 4: I think the studies have showed that seals are actually they're going sort of further up rivers and they have a health before in Australia, So actually they are perhaps you know, in the last hundred two hundred years, popping up in places they wouldn't have five hundred years ago. So maybe at the time it was a bit of a mystery and you know, a strange thing with weird eyes that makes odd noises. Yeah, you know you can see how it would, you know, cause puzzlement if it starts something get encountered before.
Speaker 2: Well, on the other you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's it's a mystery creature and they were probably quite rare and they were probably wiped out by the drop bears, so you know, well there you go.
Speaker 1: We've got it all stown up.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Thank you so much, Thank you, Steve.
Speaker 4: My pleasure. Nice to chat to you both.
Speaker 3: Monster You've been listening to Monster Doc, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stoltner. You just heard an interview with Steve Portugal about the amazing birds the castiwarries. A link to the article about Steve's hunt for this bird is in the show notes, along with some other links for further reading, including some writing by friend of the show darren A. She's all so fascinated by these beautiful birds with their fearsome appearance. Check out those show notes. We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the very best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org forwarge slash support, that's monster talk dot org forwarde slash support. We have links there to our Patreon page, as well as a donation button. Another great way to support the show is to buy books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love used books very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones and we love kindles so we can share our digital libraries with each other and finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Of reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find you listeners, and please share our show on your favorite social media platforms. Monster Talk theme music is by peat Stealing Monkeys, and we thank you for spending time with us this week. It was monstrously fun. This has been a Monster House presentation