Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I rarely see much on Twitter that makes me laugh, like brings me, you know, to that level to where I you know, I really think, hey, that's funny. There's occasionally some good humor on there, but really, I mean, it's, as I always say, Twitter, although it certainly is resourceful, it really is just a toxic, a toxic place to be. But and this is a toxic thing I'm about to share with you, but it did make me laugh. Somebody photoshopped c J. Stroud's face on Anthony Richardson in his cult jersey and said c J. Stroud dressed up as Anthony Richardson for Halloween last night, which he looked pretty bad. Stroud was eleven of thirty under two hundred yards no touchdowns. I mean, as somebody that was watching and you know, following that game closely and hoping that the underwould hit. C J Stroud really helped me. But you know, and I may be speaking out of turn here, I don't know how well he's done so far this year. I don't feel like he's having as good of a year as he did as a rookie, but maybe I'm wrong. I mean, he ended my coult season last last week, but or last season. But I mean, if he ends up having the RG three type career where he his best days were early on and then it kind of just fades. And I'm not saying that'll happen with c J. Stroud because again, I think he's shown enough to where you would expect him to be in the league for a while. But even if you even you know, regardless of what happens with him, the others in that twenty twenty three is it twenty twenty three draft, Yeah, the twenty twenty three draft, I mean that was a pretty a pretty lousy quarterback draft at this point. Now with that said, there are some guys that had some you know, had some rough starts or maybe had you know, a good start, and then they hit a rough patch and you thought, Okay, maybe their days in the NFL or are over, but then they they rebound. I mean Jared Goff with the ram with the Lions. I mean, everybody thought he would be there just you know, for a year because of the trade, and they go elsewhere. He's given him the most success they've had in a long time. Paker Mayfield, obviously, I thought his days were done whenever he was, you know, on scout team duty playing defense. I mean, that's a real story. The Panthers had him there doing stuff like that. He didn't get much of a run with the Rams. Now he's with the Buccaneers, and you know, he's in a really good spot. So maybe some of these guys end up, you know, getting it together. Bryce Young's already been benched, and Will Levis, I mean, my goodness, he made some plays last year with the Titans, but man, he's been awful this year. And there's one more. Who's the other quarterback that was drafted? It was that in twenty twenty. It's gonna drive me crazy. And somebody laid out the quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: The reason I brought the subject cause I just saw tweet earlier this week where they were saying, like, unless some of these guys get better. Oh the other one. I wasn't doing that to be funny. Anthony Richardson, but I don't even think of him like as a quarterback because he's not that. That wasn't a brain fart. That wasn't me like with a really poor attempt to make a joke about my guy. It's just I don't think of him as a quarterback because I know that he's not that, So that was just an honest mistake. Anyways, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a Friday afternoon. Hopefully you had yourselves a good Halloween. Appreciate mother nature stopping the rain at least at a perfect time for us. We hit the row. We were gonna do it regardless. It was funny though. There were a lot of parents at the house before we took off, and there were some that I think were like wanting one of the parents to kind of like tell the kids, were like, maybe we'll hit a couple of hous Like there were a couple I think that didn't want to be the first to say, like, all right, so are we actually going to do this in the rain, because that sounds miserable for everybody. Can we have one of the bigger kids just take all the other kids so we don't have to go on the rain. Like nobody said that but I could kind of feel like nobody wanted to walk in the rain. I wouldn't have wanted to walk in the rain, But as soon as we started to get out there to get our big picture together that we do every year, it completely stops. So it was it was perfect. All right, don't forget tomorrow. We've got you covered with our game day coverage. Starting at six thirty, we will have the Louisville Football Pregame Show presented by Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then after the game, gonna be a late night of course, we will have the Louisville Football postgame Show presented by Alex R. White, Lawyer's suit Distracted Driver dot Com. I've been mentioning it throughout the week. I'm optimistic about this game. I know it sounds pretty half assed, kind of sounds like I guess I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. A couple of you today have called me out on that, and I can't say that you're wrong, because you know, I'm telling you that I've got some real optimism. I believe that there was a lot of value in how they came back and won against Boston College to where internally maybe they really use that as the springboard to put together their first complete game of the season. Like I've said all that, but clearly I've hesitated to say like they're gonna win and it isn't because like I'm worried that, oh man, I'll be wrong if I say that they that they're gonna win and they don't. Oh my gosh, I'll never hear the I can't be wrong. I'm wrong all the time. We all are, And honestly, that's why I don't really like the predictions. Like, you know, I like talking sports gambling here and there, but like I'm not big on having like a platform like this and everybody stick around because I'm gonna give you my prediction, because like it seems like very self centered, because I live in a world where I know that even those that get paid millions upon millions to you know, talk sports and give their predictions, they're wrong a lot. We're always, I mean, all of us are wrong about me. If everybody knew what was going to happen in sports, I mean, we wouldn't have sports books because you had to clean them all out. So you're right, though, like I I mean, that's I mean, if you want me to say it, I'll say it. Like I think they can win. I'm not going to say that I know that they will or I believe that they will, because again none of us know. But I feel better about this one than I have really any of the games this year. And again maybe it's an extreme reach for me to say that the rally in Boston is what is going to ignite this group, but we'll find out tomorrow if there was some real growth there or if it was just you know, desperation for me, as Louisville once again is in a situation where they've got a big game where they could really, really, I mean, it would change a lot for Louisville to be able to get this victory. And they've had other games like that this year, and we all know how those have played out. So maybe you get maybe it's desperation, or maybe maybe I'm onto something here, But we shall see tomorrow and certainly looking forward to it all Right. On the Kentucky side, they're playing Tennessee and I think I struck a nerve with some people yesterday because UK fans, you know, they'll they'll call in every now and then they'll text in and usually, of course, you know, they'll either tell me disclaimer, I'm a Kentucky fan, or they'll just say something that like makes it quite clear, like hey, L's down, card boy, Like if that's you, then I assume you're a Kentucky fan, or I can just see the previous messages that they've sent. So nonetheless, when I said that Tennessee's not like Tennessee, Kentucky aren't, like they're not really rivals. And it's because if rivalry has to go both ways, and I don't even mean like winning and losing, it's better when that's the case, because you know, it hasn't been fun watching Louisville lose in the rivalry. It never is. But when I say a rivalry has to go both ways, I mean both have to genuinely consider the other arrival. Tennessee does not consider Kentucky arrival in football. They don't ask twenty Tennessee fans who their rival is. They'll tell you Alabama, nineteen of them probably. I mean, they just don't mean like maybe if they live close to the Kentucky border and they've got a they've got a you know, a buddy that that is a Kentucky fan that they did that works with out of Like I'm sure there's you know, there's a lot of coexisting in that area, I suppose where the state's border. But you got to keep in mind, like, yes, Kentucky has been more competitive with Tennessee in the last ten years than they've ever been. But if you're a middle aged dude or even like the history of your program as a Tennessee fan, like your dad probably you when you were younger, your dad's dad like never they were never threatened by Kentucky. So like, I just I don't think it's I mean again, only Tennessee fans could could could could answer this, but I think I know the answer. They don't really, I mean again, they like beating Kentucky, but just because they like beating anybody, I'm not ready to say that they'll view this game like Bill Vue when they play I don't know, Mississippi State or somebody else. But like they're they believe, you know, they believe their their rival is is Alabama. Interesting question that just came in. Do you think Tennessee views Kentucky or Vandy is more of a rival that's a great question that I don't know the answer to. I would say probably Kentucky, but I don't. I don't know, because you know, in Nashville there are some Vandy fans, but I would say Nashville is mostly a volunteer city just because the size of that fan base. Yeah, I would I mean again, I would say it's probably Kentucky, but I really I really wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like Vall fans wouldn't want to consider somebody as lowly as Vanderbilt as a rival.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it's probably. I mean, like who can Vanderbilt have a rival in football? You know what I mean? Like I feel like.
Speaker 3: All of like the private schools in each of the power conferences, they're all kind of rivals even though they never play each other, but like they just kind of want to be seen as the better one. Like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, I mean not really Duke. I guess they're kind of in a league of their own because they have Carolina.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, like it's they're kind of in their own little, their own little islands in their conferences.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I can, I mean, I can appreciate Kentucky for this that, like, make no mistake about it, we are each other's biggest rival and there's no close second. We have other rivals, they have other rivals, but it's just different. Especially again I always say this in Louisville. That is where this rivalry is its most intense because there's so many on both sides. However, if you're a Kentucky fan and you grew up I don't know Whitley County. I think that's a city, that's a county that borders Tennessee. If you grew up around there and the majority of the fans you saw that weren't blue, they were orange, then yeah, like that there's a history. But like again, I don't think there's ever been enough consistent back and forth to where you would feel that, you know, Kentucky's a arrival and you need to beat them because it means more. I don't know, but again I've never been in those areas. Now in basketball, I actually think Tennessee does consider Kentucky arrival. But again, that's that's a sign of respect, right because they you know, they know you consider them a rival in football and they don't, so they're trying to do the same thing. I suppose in basketball now they're They're basketball has been pretty good, but obviously Kentucky's I would imagine, has been far. I mean, I know Kentucky's been far superior as a program. I don't even think Tennessee's ever been to a Final Four, but I would imagine as far as you know, winning the SEC and all that, I would say Kentucky's probably miles ahead of them. But with this game tomorrow, that was a long witted way of me getting to I just I can't think of a time where they have been this lifeless as a fan base. And it's not because they're actually you know, I'm just trying to, I guess, put myself in the shoes of a Kentucky fan. It really is like, got to be killing you on all sides here, because it's one thing to be potentially one and seven in the SEC when it comes to an end, that's terrible no matter how you slice it. But like to know that you should be better and you're not is really an unusual feeling for Kentucky. I would say, I'm sure they've had years where they let game slip, like the Will Levis season when he came back and they were pretty underwhelming lost to Bandy at home, Like maybe that's a year where like they felt underwhelmed. I don't know, but you know, you're losing to teams that you feel like you've put yourself in a position as a program to be better than and you shouldn't be losing to them. Also, you're getting killed. You're not just losing. And obviously your coach just I mean, you're questioning his ability at this point, and not only his ability, like, hey, he's got to get this fixed. Is he going to be able to do it? You're now questioning does he want to be doing this? And look, I know at times when there are struggles with a team, adversity, losing streaks, whatever, you know, that's when fans are going to be complaining the most for obvious reasons. And oftentimes when an issue is brought up to criticize that may not seem like a huge deal, it just gets lumped in with oh, that's just you know now people are people are overreacting. They're just they're complaining about every little thing. And maybe that maybe that's true, but what I what I think it is is when you're a fan, yes you're gonna complain when things are bad, and you're gonna be you know, you're gonna express your concern and feel a certain way about it. But it also leads to you being more heightened to to every little thing because you're trying to figure out how how did this go wrong? What happened, or how do we get it fixed? So you are paying closer attention to little things, and maybe at times you you try to you know, you try to make something bigger than it is and say, well, that's a factor, and others would they know that's ridiculous, that doesn't matter, You're just your nitpicking. But then maybe also you start to see things that you were blinded by that are legitimate and real. I mean Mark Stoops going to the SEC media days this year and being the biggest complainer there, and I'm sure he talked about football and whatnot, but like his whole demeanor this offseason and leading into this season was that he was he was burnt out, like straight up like I don't know how much longer I can do it. Those are things he said, real quotes from him. Which it is a different job now with an IL and I'm sure he is working hard, but think about it, but put you you know, again, he didn't say anything crazy, but ask yourself how often you hear coaches before a season starts talk about how burned out they are. Like that's unusual, probably not alarming, but like I remember thinking, hey, that's that's kind of weird. And then you know, now they're this bad. And yesterday, again, this is probably something because Stoops made a comment on his Coaches show that you know, fans are taking things out of context and this and that, and I don't think he was criticizing the fans, but you know, he was just basically saying, like, you know, sometimes people run with stuff, and you know they didn't really you know, the context wasn't what they thought it was. But he said yesterday on the SEC Coaches teleconference, you know, he made a sarcastic remark about having a bunch of night games. And I'll see if I can pull the actual the actual quote here, because it's probably no big deal to a lot of people. It's probably you know, a real reach to find criticism here because it's just you know, him trying to be funny. But here's his quote. He opened up the teleconference about he says, quote in neland stadium is a very hostile environment. I think that's our four straight eight o'clock Eastern game. Thank you for that. That's a lot of fun stoops of course, said sarcastically, like he's not crying and complaining, like raising hell about it, but to hear that that's where his mindset is is another sign that this guy's burnt out, like he's he's kind of you know, he's he may not have the juice to really keep doing this. I mean, not only because of his you know, complaint there, but I think every coach in the SEC would want night games in prime time because it's more exposure for your program. And also it's a sign that you've put yourself in a position to where they view you and whoever you're playing as a as a big time game. And to see it as like a negative thanks a lot. Like even if it was coming from a place of trying to you know, break the ice light in the mood whatever, I mean, it's not a good look given the way things have gone. So again, I still think it's gonna be really hard to see somebody walk away from the amount of money that he would walk away from him. He just decides that it's run its course and he's leaving Kentucky. But then again, you know, if you really really are unhappy and you don't have the energy or the you have a damn to truly do what's needed to get things turned around. Like maybe if you are set financially, which he clearly is, then you will just say, look, ill, I'm good, I got enough money. This is going to be best for everybody, cause I mean, he's got to be miserable and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon for him. All right, Fibo two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to jump in and join us here on the show again. Fabo two five to seven seventy nine hundred. Let's go to Let's go to Dave. Dave, welcome in. How are you doing.
Speaker 4: Well? I tell you, U of L needs linemen on both sides of the ball. Offensive line just they're not very good. And you know, like I think they made some recruiting years of like Madden's Tanker. I thought he was a four star coman, I asked, well, I thought by this time, you know, he'd be playing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Dave, what what's got you fired up and wanting to call out our interior players on a day afternoon. I mean, I you know, our our our defensive line I think has good players. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not worried about that a whole lot. I think our offensive line, you know, they've had some injuries, of course, and yeah, there's some guys that I don't think have really panned out yet as far as big time recruits out of high school. You mentioned Madden, and then you know, sometimes you get in some transfers, and I mean it's really a you know, a mixed bag of results, right, some guys really translate well, and then some guys, you know, end up being you know, a MAC level player or a D two level player like they initially were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but for the most part, uh, shuck, Tyler Shuck just doesn't have a whole lot of.
Speaker 2: Time, That's true. I mean, look, they could if they were a lot better, then then then you know, then maybe Louisville would be even better offensively, they would be. Actually, however, I feel like, you know, if for Louisville's offense to be doing what it's doing throughout the entire season, moving the ball, I mean, and they're not. You know, they're helping get the job done. Now again, I'm sure a lot of it is scheme with Brahm, and he certainly knows how to still be able to put an effective offense out there despite an offensive line that maybe struggles with pass protection and that kind of stuff. So again, I think they're clearly the weakness of the of the offensive side of the ball. But you know, they've not been bad enough to where they've specifically, you know, kept the offense from doing their part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but on the other side of the ball, the pass rush for most most of the time, I don't think they're pass rushing at all. Good.
Speaker 2: Well, and look, you're not wrong there because they haven't. I mean the fact that they just haven't been able to get to the quarterback as much as we would have expected. I mean, again, the results are the results. But man, I worry that like our coordinator on English at times just doesn't want to be aggressive, like I think, you know, you saw some aggression in the second half against Boston College, and when they do dial up pressure, I feel like more often than not it ends up working. And I'm thinking myself, Dave, like damn it, why aren't we doing that more often?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, another thing that concerns me is at the beginning of the game. I mean, uh, you know, sometimes it looks like we didn't scout the other team well enough, or we weren't prepared, or they're just lacks coming out of the locker room. You know, it takes them a while to get going, like in the game up at Boston College.
Speaker 2: The same thing against SMU. I mean, look, Dave, I don't think I don't think you could be more spot on with that because I know that they do prepare and they do scout, but like it seems like in more than half the games this year, Ron English needs to see like two series from the opponent to get a feel for what he wants to do defensively. And that's just like, that's that's that's a coordinator issue, man, Like that is quite literally a guy just not having a correct plan in place to start. And that's I mean, that's that's not on the players, you know.
Speaker 4: I agree. Okay, thanks stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, appreciate it, good to hear. Good to talk some football with Dave on a Friday there. I mean, I'm trying to carry some real positivity here, send some vibes to Clemson, South Carolina with the squad, and Dave wants to let me know he's unimpressed with our.
Speaker 5: Own Dave coming in guns of Blake. Yeah, I love it, Friday, I love it. But I mean he's right. Sometimes you've got to make adjustments on the fly. Sometimes the team's gonna throw something at you that you've never seen before. But I mean it looks like in competence. Just how obvious that is, Like, uh oh, what we had planned clearly isn't working and they're killing it. So let's revert to something different, Like sometimes that's going to happen, but it's happened too often. In fact, it's happened in the first game with Ron English when he in the opener last year. All right, stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company, about halfway through the show here on a Friday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. We are fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 2: Also a big shout out to our friends over at the Jefferson Animal Hospital. If you are someone that has a dog or a cat. You may not know this, but they can donate blood just like we do as humans, and anytime your pet donates blood, they can help save up to four to six lives. This is something that obviously we've talked about quite a bit when it comes to Jefferson in the hospital. They are wanting to get that out there as much as possible, to educate people, to let them know, Hey, you may not even have known this was a thing, but it is and you could really help make a difference when it comes to saving the lives of pets. Who would want to do that? I mean, I know a lot of people that seem to be much more happy around pets than people. I mean, I'm not big on pets or animals compared to some others, but you know what I'm talking about, like people who would let rather be with dogs than humans. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying. So, like, you know, if you knew, you could get your pet checked out to see if they qualify to be a blood donor and they could help save pets lives. I mean, it's a no brainer, right, So, Jefferson in the hospital, you can get more information by reaching out to them at FIVEBO two nine hundred pets. You can visit their website at Jefferson vets Do pet bloodbank dot com will give you that specific information as far as learning more about your pet being able to qualify. So shout out to Jefferson Animal Hospital. All right, let's go to the text line here five ho two six five three zero seven ninety. It's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, I know you were somewhat joking about the conspiracy against Louisville and the ACC, which of Corey Brooks yet to be honored. But how ironic is it that Louisville's the only team in the ACC that's going to play all of the undefeated teams in the league. Coincidence question mark? Yes, I mean, yeah, that's coincidence. I mean, I can't tell if you're like asking, do I really think that the ACC gave Louisville a schedule that made it difficult for them to get into the championship because they don't like Louisville. I mean, I was joking. I wasn't somewhat joking, Like I think, you can clearly just have bad calls go against you. You can feel like you are just comstantly on the wrong end of incompetence within officiating, or you could feel like the league doesn't give you enough respect, Like there are examples that, truly I understand why people come to that, like like, man, what's going on here? But to truly believe that those are conspiring because they're that worried about you is a real like thing I can't relate to, like, like why would they like why do that mean? Like we're not? I mean it's almost like sometimes when fans think that there's a conspiracy against them at like that's widespread, like a high level, like it's overvaluing your your worth a little bit. Like, But to be fair, like I don't believe that anybody's out conspiring, you know, from from a you know, an objective view like the ACC. I don't think they, you know, would be bothered if Louisville ended up becoming a team that became, you know, one of the faces of the league, if you will. Right when you think about the ACC in football, you think Louisville's going to be in the mix every year, Like I don't mean I think they would welcome that. I don't think they would be bothered by it. But I mean, consider this last year, Louisville had a very manageable schedule that at that point it really was just it was it was a gift because you didn't even end up. I mean, the teams that we thought were going to be good in the ACC last year, I mean Louisville only played one of them, I think, and that was that was Miami towards the end. The other games were against you know, teams that you kind of looked at the schedule before the season started and thought, yeah, this is this is pretty pretty, it's pretty awesome. But this year, it's just the way it's played out. You have to keep in mind a team that that you know, didn't lose an ACC game for over a year and won the league out right last year by a mile, they were on this louill avoided them going into this year once again, and the other three teams didn't. Right, these teams that are currently undefeated in the ACC on paper going into the year, they had what we thought would be the toughest game for anybody because it was Florida State. Nobody knew Florida State was gonna fall off like that. I mean, nobody expected Pitt to make this big of a bounce back. Clemson's always in the mix. It seems like I mean SMU, to be fair, I mean I was wrong. They have adjusted nicely in the league and they they're good. I mean, Kevin Jennings becoming their quarterback really changed what RD Ashley HT Lashley was doing offensively and it's it's working in a major way. And by the way, I don't know if you guys saw the news he is cleared to play. He was gonna be out and they got to go to their backup, Preston Stone. I mean, he's he's a guy who had like a lot of preseason hype. He got benched after two games and his team got a lot better. But Jennings has been cleared to play, and that's the ultimate, Like, I don't know what the hell is gonna happen in that game, right because SMU's only losses against BYU, who seems to be better and better every week. They haven't lost yet, have they.
Speaker 3: No, they're undefeated, that's what I thought, so.
Speaker 2: You know, and I've watched a Shay they look really good and then Pittsburgh. You know, I have no reason to think that they're not legit, So you know, I leaned that that SMU's offense will will be able to to be the biggest factor in that game and they'll win. But anyways, back to the question, like, no, there's no I mean, I don't. I mean, I don't believe that there's any kind of a conspiracy within the ACC to make Louisville's life more difficult. I don't. But again, that doesn't mean I don't think that we've been on the wrong end of their awful officiating. I don't. I mean, I don't think that the bad calls Louisville has got this year, which I think they've had a lot of them, more than more than most, more than they usually do it, more than most. But sometimes it's just a bad call because it's a bad call, and like you end up on the wrong side of somebody's incompetence. I don't think it's ever because they're out like the referees are wanting to make sure they know that they help Louislle's opponent. Like what that doesn't make any sense? And I've always just assumed that the vast majority of those who say things like that are joking, like its tongue in cheek, But I kind of feel like it's not all right, John, I got some bad news for you. What is it, Jalen Hoodshaffino. Have you seen the latest with him? The Lakers are declining the option on his third year, which will you know, make him an unrestricted free agent. Rare to do that with with this young man, but you know why because Bronnie James's contract's guaranteed. So like there's there's a lot of NBA's scuttle butck going on that maybe Jalen Hoodshafino will turn into like the first victim of Lebron's nepotism.
Speaker 3: And I'll say I'm not I'm not following Jalen Hood Schafino too closely since he's been with the Lakers. I know he's been fairly underwhelming injury really yeah, uh, but I mean it is, you know, disappointing giving them the fact that he's being booted because of somebody who else who also shouldn't be in the NBA quite frankly.
Speaker 2: And like it would be fitting if Jalen Hood Schaffino ends up, I mean, he's gonna end up elsewhere clearly, and he ends like you know, who knows, maybe he just maybe didn't work out for him in the NBA, or you know, maybe he ends up in a new opportunity and is really good and people will look back and say, man, can you can you believe the Lakers had this guy and they ended up letting him walk because of early injuries and then making a spot for Lebron's kid. You know, now, again, as I said last week, whenever you know, those who played in a game for the first time together, even if that was what was on the table, which I doubt that they mean. I don't think that they were talking about it in that way, like, hey, Jalen and Shapino's a decent guy, but you know, we got to make room for Bronni, and that seems wild. But here, you know, here's the positive. So even if they knew going in like we might have to make some sacrifices, they're gonna be there's gonna be a good player we potentially move on from. But if that leaves the spot for Bronny there and he gets it and that gives us another three four really good years of Lebron before father time hits him, it's still worth it. Man. It is, like it sounds crazy, but it's still worth it because Lebron James has not shown any signs of slowing down. I mean, now, maybe he is energized and he's really really motivated because he's playing with his son and it's like a new world to him, and then maybe he overdoes it and he does start to show age like maybe that happens. But until I see Lebron James not show that on any given night he can look like he could beat the best player on the planet and completely take over a game against anybody, I'm going to assume that he's still in that level, right. I mean, I think you see that number, he's just like, yeah, well, you know, and look, I'm not saying he's gonna pay until he's fifty. But I think what makes of the many things that makes Lebron a legend as an athlete. I mean, again, I know he's off the floor, he's just you know, come on, Lebron, like he just has no self awareness. I get it, But I'm talking specifically as a basketball player. There's a lot of layers to what you can throw out There's a lot of things you can throw out there when you're making the point that he might be the best player of all time. One of them for me, the longer he plays and the more he holds up is the fact that nobody's done it. I mean, there are dudes who are eight years younger than him that start to really look old at the NBA. It's crazy to think about, and you'd be crazy if you don't stick with us for the rest of the show today. We'll take a quick break, come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour, and then we will hit the five o'clock hour with some real momentum to get out here for the weekend. Stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So this is some breaking news in college football. So Ross Ellinger is the first to report that Greg Sank has sent a memo to SEC coaches and athletic directors ordering them to stop directing their players to fake injuries and says that instituting penalties will it's going to happen. It's happening on a third offence. I mean, I kind of like this because it's just I mean, it's it's one of those things though that like, I don't mean everybody does it. Nobody seems to be above it to an extent. Obviously, some are a lot worse than others. As far as look, if you watch college football just a little bit, you know what I'm talking about, where a guy will just fall to the ground all he's got a cramp. Uh And because it it really is, it's it's really a bad look for the sport that because everybody is well aware of what's going on, they don't even try to like hide that they're faking it anymore. And it's just a bad look. And you know, I just I think it's a really tough thing to uh, to try to enforce because you really don't know if someone's hurt, like only they know now you can you can see that it looks a little suspect and you can sometimes quickly learn that they were not really hurt. But like I don't know, I don't have the stones to just instinct, just instincts, just tell somebody right away, get up, you're faking you know what I mean? Like, and how are you gonna how are you gonna police this? As far as like, well, he was down, he was on the ground for two minutes, and that injury probably should have taken him fifteen minutes. Like there's I think it's really this is a slippery slope here, But I do understand at least wanting to address it and acknowledge it and and maybe maybe scare these coaches in these players to like, hey, if you were thinking about, you know, adding that to your game plan, Hey, this is the sign fall down. This we need to steal a time out to stop, to stop momentum or something like, don't do it because you know, the first offense is a fifty thousand dollars penalty, second offense is a one hundred thousand dollars third offense is a suspension, and assistants are subject to the same penalties. So again, it says the SEC will begin penalizing coaches this week if it is determined players you know, are feigning injuries, as they say, how are you going to determine that? Like good luck? I mean you can't prove it. And what's your threshold? Right like broken bone?
Speaker 3: Nope, I guess if you just see a player get up after it looks like they were having you know, whatever issue it could have been, and if they're it's not even really about how long they're down, but how they react when they actually get back up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even then, like it's impossible to know for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, I guess if you have a cramp, that's like, you know, keeping you on the ground, that's one thing, and.
Speaker 2: A cramp, a cramp sometimes looks like the most serious thing. In fact, you can tell like players now know when they have a cramp. Now they'll look like they're in pain and they're uncomfortable. But you know, I think body language with athletes, especially football players, like they know what a cramp is. They probably had a many many times, and that may be something that is viewed as minor. But no, like if you've got a cramp, like quite literally, you can't walk and you could hurt yourself trying to, you know, just pop a muscle. So I can appreciate wanting to you know, clean it up, but good luck policing it consistently without some controversy. And I feel like this year specifically, it has absolutely become a part of the college football experience, Like you see it all the time, and I'm just used to it at this point, to be honest with you, Like I'm just to the point where I'm like, you know, hey, this is now part of the game, and I think there's a chance, I mean, this is only the SEC. By the way, there aren't any other There are not any other leagues that I've I don't know. Maybe you know, obviously college football is a big copycat world, so maybe you see other leagues try to implement the same the same thing here we shall see, all right. This question came in on the text line five x two six five three zero seven nineties the number. If you want to to text in questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever, you've got to, feel free to send them our way. But this text say, Nick, who do you think has to have a good game in Death Valley for the Louisville to have a chance? Pretty generic question, But I mean I don't mean to I'm not I'm not insulting your question, but like, I mean, everybody's got to play well, I think, I mean, I mean Tyler Shuck. I mean, if he has like a really bad day, that's not ideal. So like me, again, like a lot of pieces are important here. I'm not sure if it's one specific player. Like the defense needs to be good tomorrow, like they need to be goof free, if that makes sense. They need to not have plays where they have too many men on the field, or that they are looking around as the play clock's winding down and the opposing quarterback club Mick can just see that there's something off and he takes advantage of it, and other quarterbacks have done that. By the way, I mean cam Ward he talked after the Louisville game and the press conference, and I mean he wasn't really disrespectful. I think he was just being honest, but like he was talking about how easy you know, he was able to know where to go essentially many times against that little defense. So I mean, I hate to cop out and not really give you much of an answer, but like a lot a lot of people in different units need to play well for Louisville to be able to win against Clemson, because they're a really good team. But for me, again, it's the defense. I think if they're the defense they've been all year, it'll likely be a result similar to what we've seen all year, which is they make some plays here and there. You know, they're not terrible, but they're not consistent, and the offense is doing their part, but they just come up short. Like if the defense is the same defense they've been all year, then I think that's probably the result that we're going to get if they come ready to play and they can get off the field pretty early, let the offense get an early strike. I mean, that's a good way to get it started. And hopefully that's what we see. And hopefully you guys stick with us for another hour because we're here till six o'clock. Hang out, make yourself at home, enjoy yourself, all right, don't go anywhere, keep a lock right here. On Sports Talk, seven ninety
Speaker 3: Is pitted in the