Speaker 1: I'm sweating like Chris Packham next to a bacon sandwich.
Speaker 2: If I can find the person who wrote into us and said you should stop moaning about asking for the rain, I'd like to then just insert into their underpants a million bees.
Speaker 1: Right now, bees, take some bees.
Speaker 2: I want rain, Yeah, rain, rain, please, rain, please, dear God rain.
Speaker 3: Hold on a second, you've been a farmer for one day and you're suddenly complaining about rain. There we go. It's just a.
Speaker 2: Charcoal burner, and I can't burn anything because now you'll set fire to the whole of whales.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've had a right old two and eight. I went away for a couple of days to Southwold, came back and the farm watched WhatsApp group because harvest has started here the or seed rape and the beans are coming in or the beans are as shriveled as a politician's brain, and the hey presto. I think they'd only be going for about sort of forty five minutes in the first field, fire announcement came in and someone's barley completely shot out lost the combine harvest, which I think is sadly going to be the shape of things to come this year.
Speaker 1: What's early this year.
Speaker 3: I've seen everything.
Speaker 1: Tons of blackberries come out already in certain places, which I think feels for the early.
Speaker 2: Canal side raspberries. Blackberries and raspberries don't count. They sort of have their own calendar.
Speaker 1: Well the slows as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they come out stupidly early.
Speaker 3: Because of the water.
Speaker 2: I think it's the water in the warmth and the tramp piss.
Speaker 3: Callums. We it's a magnet to early blackberries. Yeah. But did you say you've seen slows Callum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's quite a lot of slow. So I dropped the dropped my daughter off at nursery this morning. There's the whole bush seems full of them already, and I was, and they're all turning that slow color rather than the color.
Speaker 2: Is that Callum school? Schoolgate reraper Twitter with the with the other mums.
Speaker 1: No, it's only your kid that slow.
Speaker 2: Actually, their bus arrives later, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: So I go to not in Harlow, to a place to drop my child off. And this particular school is not inhabited by the people of of Harlow, but the surrounding villages that have lots of land. So I get I get mums in cars that are more than my yearly salary turning up and sort of they're in their gym where they've already done a two hour PT session and then they come and have a little saunter in and they're probably gone to their coffee mornings and whatever else.
Speaker 3: But this isn't a private school, but it is is basically been he's been Phillips.
Speaker 1: It's actually a thing called a forest school.
Speaker 2: Is this just a forest that you leave your child in?
Speaker 1: I had to sign a consent form to say that I was okay with a two year old to use a drill independently. So a trill, Yeah, an actual drill, hand drill, I take it, I assume. So I didn't really go into the detail too much.
Speaker 2: But is she putting a shift in on the tools? You've got a CSCs card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she has got a c SCS card and they make her have steals and a hard hat on site every day and a high vis. But they do actually wear a high vis. They have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I rather like that idea. That is a hell of a good way is that, if you went and looked at it, every single major infrastructure project that ever gets done in this country is a complete disaster and eventually it will come out as the y HS two has taken sort of you know for years is because it's been built by two year old.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: What you needed was more kids, more kids down the mines. He's just generally more kids, just putting a shift in the good old. On a serious note, forest school is really good for kids. Being outdoors is significantly better. I know in the winter it's a bit it's a bit brutal, and they do go outside in you lose a few every year. Yeah, but you know, only the strongest survive.
Speaker 2: I'm the fastest.
Speaker 3: So yeah, listen, I want to know because mister Prudo put a cryptic thing on that he's been pretending to be a farmer today, to what degree have you been masquerading as a farmer then.
Speaker 2: To the degree where I've been helping people point to cameras towards farmers, so doing that kind of thing. So I've been talking to a very nice farmer who makes very nice milk that goes into making very nice cheese. And I've been converted over to the cheese mindset.
Speaker 3: What is the cheese mindset?
Speaker 2: You cheese? Maxine, the cheese is okay, because I don't think that cheese is okay. I hate the idea of uncooked cheese.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have more strange.
Speaker 2: Two days into the three days gig of working with the cheese people, I had to admit that I don't like cheese. I don't like your cheese. I don't like any cheese. Was is there a lot of it?
Speaker 3: Feels like that?
Speaker 1: Was Was it a moment? Was it a crisis moment where they all surrounded you and poked small holes out of you?
Speaker 2: You were in a cold, cold store and a man was aggressively pointing a sample of cheese at me to try it. And it was actually it was a very nice cheddar, as a very rich cheddar. It was actually quite good. It did quite like it. So it wasn't just saying that to get out of their alive to not get buried in the effluent pile of whey that's out the back of the cheesetairy. I did actually enjoy it, although I did pick up a nice tipbit. You cheese grading with cheese, so you put like a core sampler thing in and you twist it and pull it out and then you crumble a bit off and warm with it between your hands, and then that's how you sort of grade that the cheese is good and that it's suitable for sale. And it's a suitable type the traditional thing, and I'm fairly sure this is for Cheddar. It might be for chesha as well. Is gun metal? So the traditionally used to make them out of the barrels of four ten shotguns. No way, Yeah, this beautiful little metal tool is a piece of gun metal.
Speaker 3: I know the thing. Yes that certainly it's got like an angle then to it that they dive in with it almost like a screw top handle on the top like a bottle open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like somewhere between a bottle open and something you jam into a birch treat to get the sap out, somewhere between the two of those. But I thought that was a nice little touch. I thought, I'm having that in the back pocket for a pub quiz at some point.
Speaker 3: With a four ten barrel. Isn't that wonderful? Because the four ten is going to become obsolete, Curtsey.
Speaker 2: You won't be able to get it, no, because.
Speaker 3: Courtesy of the lead ban is that you know that's it. You can't you steal really in a four ten it's going to become an obsolete thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think anyone will make us steal cartridge, will we.
Speaker 3: I know that the guys at Shooting Star that I think it's joker. I have got this hybridge shot which is sort of an alloy type thing, and they can make that down into four ten cartridges. But it's I mean, it'd suddenly become an expensive thing. So what used to be like a rabbiting cartridge? You're suddenly going, God, I just shot one fifty at a rabbit. What was a rabbit? Re youself for twenty three.
Speaker 2: P so loss making rabbits?
Speaker 1: Yeah, bismuth round for a rabbit in this.
Speaker 2: Age of efficiency and you know, using AI and things like that to constantly increase production. I was having a conversation with Amy on the way to way to this place this morning, and we were we needed a shorthand for animals and roadkill animals that you know how you use roadkill at all as a sort of landmark. Yes, if you see a particularly interesting bit of roadkill, you send it to your friend, don't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't what you're wrong?
Speaker 2: Turn right after the very large red deer carcass or something like that roadkill sort of, you know, the deer carcass of this type of deer or whatever is too long. It takes too long to say. So what we need to do is shorten it into a sort of portmanteau. So we need flat and then name of animal, so you don't need the whole word flat. You can just go for flat. Flat rabbit becomes flat rabbit. Yeah, it's floral squitche No, you're gonna be all you could be fledgehog cadn't you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking more squige because it always seems to be Pearl's hedgehogs. They don't get flat. They might get smeared smear. Yeah, yeah, poor old things and their little teeth and they're sort of smeared across the road.
Speaker 2: What else would you get? You get flunt jack.
Speaker 3: I've called them similar flatger fl fliging, fldging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been a few flidgeings.
Speaker 3: We've had a large fled deer stinking and slowly decaying on the road in between. Here we aren't skull, which is not it actually does look like it's on skull, and the bornham parva just on that bit of the road there in between that on the way to Eye and the Diss Road. These are all places that Richard actually refuses to believe actually exists.
Speaker 2: Were made up for the show mids of My Murders. I believe You're on your Way to Souls meant to be in summer, but somehow filmed in winter.
Speaker 3: That's right, and it's been it's laid there for a heck of a long while. Although I have to say, I don't know if you saw the news report, but it did make me chuckle. Is that the supposedly really hardcore reform councils is they had to put a set of temporary traffic lights. This was in Essex.
Speaker 2: Yes Callum's fault.
Speaker 3: They had to put a set of temporary traffic lights around a month jack that had been run over and was lying on the side of the road. And because obviously some council employees I'd moved now is stinking, because obviously it had blown up and now was bit wreaky because of the high heat. It was easier in inverted commas to put up the road into a single lane, a set of temporary traffic lights and cones around this carcass of a munk jack. So you know, if we are actually looking at this doge thing, come on, reform, pull your finger out and just get some counsel employees with a stronger stomach hunt servants. They're all going to be made redundant because of the trail hunting man that they're cutting up stuff like that for a living.
Speaker 2: I've got a top tip for moving roadkill of any size. If you go check it's dead first. Well, the keyword there is kill. You know road maame, you need a different different.
Speaker 1: Just id id that's definitely not alive.
Speaker 2: Just go along a tap its eyeball, just an angry.
Speaker 1: Badger just on the side of the.
Speaker 2: Something called a hook a roun or a piccaroon or a sappie, which is sort of a it looks like a pickaxe of the weird shortened hook on the end. Use it in forestry for dragging logs around the grate. But one of those you can hook it into the leg of something and just drag it out the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what if you're a bit inaccurate and you then puncture its guts and then it just sprays you in. No see, I would go for the tongue clay more, I go for the tongs and go for whatever bit is least squished gold. He bought me a pair. It's so funny. I've got a pair of steel log tongues that he bought me because he was so fed up with me looking at as I'm trying to pick up big, heavy logs that he's just dropped on my head by buying my bare hands. He bought me that as a Christmas present. You know, I just shows you that that ours is not just a business relationship, is one of caring. You know, bought me that, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: In our semi occasional series of we take I'm about to do things that he hasn't done before. I think we should go and do a day of identifying and using forestry tools.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, why don't you just get we're doing Instagram real, I'll just blind rank you just show me pictures of forestry tools and I'll just tell you what I think they might be for.
Speaker 3: I think we want to do it in the Forest of Dean though. I think we should go because I mean, I know that there is like a communication problem with our good friend Nick from the Forest of Dean and Callum is that they both speak English, but not in a way that one another of them understand. And they could go out and we could just lay these things out and we say Nick, what is that? And you go that be a wrap? And the next thing as Calum.
Speaker 2: Go you what? What did he says?
Speaker 3: Is there a captions option on nick? Ah?
Speaker 2: What is this the hard of hearing?
Speaker 3: Now? Listen, I'm interested Callum angling and this sort of weather? Is it ethical to go fishing when the water temperatures are so high? Talk me through that.
Speaker 1: So certain fish pike. If you're pike fishing now and you catch a pike, it will probably die, right, So it's really it's a poor choice to go pike fishing in this kind of weather. They So, what happens when you get this kind of weather is the sun hits the water. The oxygen is always dropping at night because you've got lots and lots of pond weed and stuff. At night, the oxygen that's in the water get sucked in by all of the plant life, and then you'll just find oxygen crashes all the time, and you get things like algae blooms, and then the alga ballooons come up and when the alga blooons drop like they often drop once you get a bit of water and the water temperature drops quickly, and then they take all the oxygen with it, so you get you go from half decent oxygen to like terrible oxygen and lack of wind as well. Luckily yesterday it was quite windy, but the lack of wind does no good for oxygen levels, so when they're when you catch a fish in those conditions, they stress themselves out and then they don't do too good afterwards. Some places different, but a lot certain fish aren't very hardy. I fish for carp in the summer months. You can probably fish for chubb because the sort of places you're fishing are usually streamy water that's running, and they're pretty hardcore. But most other fish I won't tend to fish for.
Speaker 2: What about because the river levels are so low, you've got the few pools and deeper areas that you do have. That's where people are going fishing and doing and paddling around now as well? What about the effects there, because is that just driving the fish back into shallower water away for the pools or.
Speaker 1: What I'd say if they've got someone paddling around in it. That's probably good for the water because it agitates the water and gets some oxygen in. Like the best thing you can do if you want, if you want a fishery to do well and not suffer from oxygen crashes, just just put an air etor in it. Just get yourself some kind of like water fountain or something like that. And that's what the Environment Agency will do. If you see a place with a if you see fish in distress, you should call the Environment Agency because they will often there's a lot of bad things said about the Environment Agency, but if you do see fish in distress and you ring the Environment Agency, there will usually come out and try and rectify the problem. They will put air ators in and they will and will sort it out. And I'm reliably informed it is the NRW in Wales Natural Resources Wales.
Speaker 2: What if I throw a soda stream in there, You.
Speaker 1: Could probably throw a soda stream in there. All of this is just for entertainment and should not be used.
Speaker 2: Do not revive your fish using the advice of country Slide.
Speaker 1: We cannot be held legally responsible for the death of your pike.
Speaker 3: Now listen, I've got an idea, right because we've just veered off onto angling. Right. I was thinking at my wedding because I got married on the banks of the beautiful river tweed. That's Driver, one of the finest salmon pools, the Driver Abbey stretch of the tweed. And on each table, rather than putting a table number, I painted my favorite.
Speaker 1: Shooting Times contributor.
Speaker 3: No I didn't. I painted dry flies that I've caught trout on the river tweed in. Now I've got before me the Osborne Book of Flies for Salmon, right, Okay, Now I want to do true or false? Are these names of salmon flies?
Speaker 2: Okay? You can play along at home.
Speaker 3: A long at home? Is it true or false? The kidney punch, I'm going to say true.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go false.
Speaker 3: Richard is correct, it's actually the winter punch, which yeah, okay, okay. The wooly bugger black.
Speaker 2: True, I know this is true. Yes, didn't you lose one because of my fly tank? Yes?
Speaker 3: Absolutely is then went oh bugger as it flew off. It's a good fly. It's a multi purpose fly, particularly I've found in very light, bright water conditions. Okay, here we go, candle lit dinner. That's got to be it's got to be forced.
Speaker 2: I think true because it's got the meal.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a good thought, but it's actually winter candlelight. It is a it is a spider. No, it's a fly with silver tinsel, fluorescent orange floss and medium dark orange seals fur. I've never seen an orange seal.
Speaker 1: I come to Essex. It's just it's mostly just fake town.
Speaker 2: Is that the old the SINGERX right final one?
Speaker 3: Traffic ticket?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 2: False, but the real one's called traffic light.
Speaker 3: It's a traffic ticket, is actually a real thing. It's gold tinsel, lemon wood duck fibers, peacock hurl, lemon wood duck flank, and a badger hackle. Basically, you've got every single thing that makes that fly. Would probably get you five years in Pentonville if you were found actually killing those things. So I've been through this flies for salmon, feather, wing and hackle. There are a further eight different editions of this for various other things because fly tying, and the reason it went into my mind was because friends of the show, and without a shadow of doubt, the least fingered person who listens to this, if you want to be that okay, he has the fewest fingers of our listeners.
Speaker 1: He was that survey they we told you we could, you couldn't put that question on the audience survey, so you don't know that. So true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he was showing us, wasn't he on the WhatsApp group about his about his a how he set up his fishing rod because he has fewer fingers than most of us, and how the real works, but also how he ties flies on, which was fascinating. But I don't think he's into fly tying. Now, callum, you are a bit of a fly tiist, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: But look look at this. Look vice ladies and gentlemen. He is showing us his vice. Now I'm not talking about.
Speaker 1: So I went on my favorite Chinese auction site and.
Speaker 2: Other versions are available, but not really now it's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, No, it wasn't Temu. It was Ali Express, which you know, go ally Express, and I bought a general paupose fly tying kit.
Speaker 3: So it had.
Speaker 1: I had ordered literally every bit you could possibly imagine, and I went on too Essential fly so they sell The website looks awful and you might feel like you might get scammed, but I ordered all the stuff from there, and then a lady phoned me up and she said to me. She said to me, oh, you've ordered the one one twenty d Denny air thing and that's really that's really strong, but we don't have that in stock. We have this one, and this one's this tension and this one comes in this color. But you know, if you tie it too tight, what kind of hooks are you using? She went into all this detail, and I was like, look, I know some of the words that you just said.
Speaker 3: I do not know what you.
Speaker 1: See the string stuff, I'd really like the string stuff for putting it round the hook. And she said, say less, I'll sort you out. So she sent me this stuff, but they literally wrung you, wrung me up. It's like a family run business, she said. If you call back tomorrow, they'll be like fly tying expert here that will that you can guide you through absolutely anything. Which which company was that kin It's called Essential Fly and they've got a stock of everything. They sort you out with whatever you need. And then I've got I had to buy it. But I don't know anyone that kills deer. Unfortunately, I know lots of people I just was impatient. But I bought. I bought the deer hair.
Speaker 2: He's holding up to the camera, ladies and gentlemen, the smallest piece of deer deer for I have ever seen. It's like that would basically be one corner point of a MANKINI of of deer skin.
Speaker 1: A good stroke of an axe. Basically, it's what I'm suggesting. But you know, be careful with those splatters.
Speaker 3: We have to say I did a wonderful shooting times piece back when the shooting times was not done by AI. And you know when Patrick Patrick, allegedly Patrick Galbraith, said give me an idea, and I went, okay, what dog can catch the most fish? And a friend of mine called Adam Bragg, who's a brilliant stocksman, makes beautiful gunstocks and they also beautiful cabinets and whatnot. He's a very very good fly angler, and we tied flies from different dog hair with a slight nod to Hugh Folcus, because Hugh Folcus, the great angler. He rather infamously once went to someone invited him to go fishing from their place. He then promptly slept with his host's wife and then realized he hadn't bought his fly box with him, so plucked some hairs from out of the chaps golden retriever and hey presto, one of the finest sea trout flies that's ever been tied. The golden retriever came from it. So he not only slept with his wife, he also Nickedy's dogs fur and turned it into a fly. So we tried different breeds of dogs.
Speaker 2: I thought you were about to say you've tried different different Yes, hundreds of different went through the entire audience of shooting times.
Speaker 3: I was too tired to go fishing afterwards. And if memory serves me right, it was the spring of Spaniel what won it, and I tied Cocker spaniel golden retree. I took some Golden retriever fur from Jeremy Squirrel's dog Margo, and I also took some cocker poo fur, which I wholly don't hypoallergenic flies love it. It's sat there, there's a map of the water like a flipping bloom. That was no use at all. But Adam, who I have to say is a far better angler than I am. He won with some rather cunning sort of clinkhammer type thing which he had tied would spring a spaniel fur, and so we could safely say by scientific analysis that the spring of spaniel is best at killing trout.
Speaker 1: Fair.
Speaker 2: There's nowhere to go from that, is there? There's no secretary.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to try don fur as a thing. So with the deer hair, does anyone want to guess what you make.
Speaker 3: Dog biscuit fly?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, have you made a dog biscuit flight?
Speaker 1: Here we go, Here's what I made earlier for Just describe it for the audience at home.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, ladies and gentlemen, what he's done is it basically looks like you know, the fluff that you get in your belly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like that.
Speaker 3: So it's a sort of round pom pom of h. I mean it looks slightly like a pedigree chum mixer, which I assume that you would you use that for cast.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you throw the chum mixers out and then and then you put the fly out. But the ones you buy in the shop are when you buy if you can get them from like Fulling Meal and stuff like that. Once you buy there, they're huge. They're like five times the size of an actual dog biscuit. So what I do is I always go to I always go to the farm shop, and whatever they're discontinuing that week, I just buy those dog biscuits. They've got like one bag of Skinner's pup or something like that left before they start stocking a different puppy food. I just buy whatever it is, and usually it's a tiny little dog biscuit. So at least now I can buy tiny little dog biscuits. And I make.
Speaker 3: The fly corning is it hasn't quite got the ring of something like a Campbell's fancy or a or.
Speaker 1: I looked at. I wrote some funny names for flies. Chernobyl ant a butt, monkey, sex, dungeon, meat whistle, dungeons, dungeon, shuttle cocker merger.
Speaker 3: Oh I've had I've got shuttle cocker mergers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've got some cream for that. Charlie boy hopper.
Speaker 3: That's quite that's quite good for you. A trout tickler that sounds like the sort of chat be thrown out of the club.
Speaker 1: The mortgage nymph.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've met him. He was at school with me. He got done for fraud the full English emerger. Yeah he was equally so is in the other house.
Speaker 1: There's also a fly called the Greg's Hopper, which is also the career title of Glenn from Hick Micro.
Speaker 3: It's a good joke.
Speaker 2: Go on, are where are we?
Speaker 3: Well? Where where we are? We've done fishing flies and we've done callum imitating dog biscuits, so rather than just super gloing a dog biscuit to a hook, which a normal human being would do.
Speaker 2: Correct. Before we move on to the Inevitable deck segment, I would like to thank everyone who's sent in their suggestions for game Fair Bingo and if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, going to listen to last week's episode. We've had quite a quite a response. Any favorites, yes, but I'm not going to not going to spoil them. You have to buy your Bingo card and give him money to the UGA w CT to find out. But I expect to see people out there on their Bingo card. Yeah. Well there's the one. One square is have you been leered at by the rep from one particular thermal imaging brand?
Speaker 3: Has he given you an excessive hug?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, Dogs in Prams was one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nice.
Speaker 2: The fox call bastard as he's known, so we've got several several things there, so thank you to everyone who submitted. It's most useful. I'll be bundled together into a thing that'll be ready for next week.
Speaker 3: Next week, I think we ought to go and reveal where the country Slide Massive can meet up and eat pheasant meats McDonald's related food on Saturday, so that we can go and support one of our loyalists and most handsome listeners. He is a loyalist, a loyalist, Yad's straight. He's a perfect loyalist old. So listen, there's another thing that I am quite interested in. I was reading in the newspaper today that you know, we've had this ridiculous roadmap for farming or whatever the government's called it, subtitled yes You're on your own, Yes exactly. And all of a sudden, all these London types who write for the Telegraph and the Times, I have suddenly realized that actually, perhaps British food is really quite important, and that you could cut the NHS budget if we stopped eating shit, and so therefore most of the food that Britain produces is really good stuff. Now I am sat here drinking a Beira moretti which is Italian, although it may be one of those ones is actually made in It seems to be it's made in Amsterdam, so there we go. So it's Italian, but they normally exactly Burton on Trent or tag Caster. But what I'd like to ask you is that we are all three of us. We are loyal by British sort of type chaps. What could you not live without that has to be imported? Food wise? Hmmm?
Speaker 1: For me, there's quite a lot of ingredient stuff that would have to be important.
Speaker 3: But like spices and stuff, you.
Speaker 2: Do nonlinear cooking and ADHD cooking where you don't cook the same thing twice. You buy all the things to cook one thing in one particular, very elaborate way, you do it three times, and then it goes next to the blender and the super name, and you know it's over there with the other three thousand pounds worth of kitchen gadgets.
Speaker 1: I really want to do like a just sometimes I don't even know what I'm having for dinner. I just get in a kitchen and I just I just vibe it. Suddenly I'm like, ah shit, we're having a Like I'll just do something really random a chicken balatine on like a Wednesday night, just because you know, I saw it on a YouTube video and I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you ever have fish fingers or anything? No?
Speaker 3: Shot bought pizza and the cow op.
Speaker 1: For the kids.
Speaker 2: Maybe okay, because sausage roll and a can of shandy aid, I.
Speaker 3: Might do that. Take the spices out of it, because obviously in the good old days these spices usually used to come from the empire anyway, so it was still circular production. What fruit vegetable something which is actually tangible and you can hold in your hands rather than sprinkle on could olive oi soy sauce?
Speaker 1: You're mustard? Tomatoes are often when you get tins of tomatoes for cooking anything, they're never British. Don't get it. I don't think there is a British tin of tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Is there no British basata or anything? Peanuts, peanut butter?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, peanuts, that's very true, and that I quite like nuts, and so therefore that would be something that I would struggle with. That's good.
Speaker 1: Do you do the dad thing where you get to that certain time in your life where you get peanuts and then you shake them in your hand and then throw one of them in. Oh, and just and just do that for no good reason whatsoever. I don't know if you have to have children or you just get to that stage in your life where you're juggling. You can do it with eminem's as well. You're juggling six m and ms and then put one in your mouth, because that's a dad thing to do.
Speaker 2: Well. Chocolate's off the cards entirely.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true. Yes, because we can't grow cocoa beans here. Even though we have vegan chocolate, that's not chocolate, I know. So we look anything that's vegan, we just ignore that because that's not proper food, is it. I mean, there is vegetables that's proper food. There's vegan food not proper food. We can just draw a line under that.
Speaker 2: Get the chart out. Food above this line, not proper food exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's it. I mean, my wife likes an avocado on toast. She just you know, she puts something with a poached egg on top, she'll have an avocado. I think she would.
Speaker 2: That's too many things.
Speaker 1: There's certain things that I worry about, like avocados. I just think to myself, that's come from a long, long way away, so I will eat them occasionally. They're like they're almost like a treat food. I would never have one every week because it it just feels like, not that I'm a mad environmentalist, but like when you can eat munk jak or something that you know that is not only doing positive good for the environment, but you're actually you know, you're taking an animal out that's going to destroy a head. So you're doing good and it only comes from up the road and you support people locally. Great, But when you're like destroying entire habitats and flying it in jets or by sea in great big tankers across the ocean, so you can have so you can let it go bad in the fruit bowl, yeah I'm.
Speaker 3: I'm okay, so we can avocado. So we're having a country slide veto on avocados. Now, interestingly, courtesy of friend of the show Mike Warner, he put me in the direction the fishman in the direction of Cornish sardines. So they're tinned and now this is the weird thing. This is just shows you how utterly bonkers. So they are caught off the coast of Cornwall, shipped to Spain, where they are canned, and then they are brought back to the UK where you can buy cornish sardines. But I now have those because I have sardines for breakfast or tinned mackerel every morning because I am. I don't know, Richardill probably diagnosed me with autism. But I've now decided that I need these good fish oils, so I have tinned sardines.
Speaker 1: Or your coat looks.
Speaker 3: Really light, my listrous locks, I mean it's gray, it's that Admittedly they are gray, dear listener, I am brushing my fingers through my gray hair. But I and I discovered something even better that Mike Warner told me to do. Is I decant the tin into a frying pan with good British buttering, and you actually cook tin sardines briefly. Then you put them on a piece of toast, which I have made my own gentleman's relish butter. So that is anchovies one of those funny little things capers butter moon leads together nine os. So therefore those those capers are from Italy something like that.
Speaker 2: Make your own with the seeds of wild garlic, you know, the little seed heads, the little triangular three seed things do you put them in brine, then you pickle them kind of with a garlice caper.
Speaker 3: I mean it's delicious, but I mean I'll put that it's very fishy, and then with a poached egg on top for breakfast.
Speaker 1: Every single morning, I swapped the capers out now for chopped cordyshor on pickles. For the simple fact that I open a capers and then, as you rightly pointed out, open capers, use whatever it is a table a teaspoon of it once and then never use it again. So they all go in the bin and it cost me like a few quids.
Speaker 3: So use little cornish?
Speaker 1: Are you cordish on things? Because I know they'll get used up at some point because we'll have cold dinner and pickles at some point.
Speaker 3: So because of Starmer's Britain, we no longer have gentlemen's relish. I've had to make my own, and I have to say.
Speaker 2: It's better make my own for your decades.
Speaker 3: Well, indeed, that's why your not what it was.
Speaker 1: I've got a sock under the bed that.
Speaker 2: What could you rehydrate that one hydration and break for callums sock.
Speaker 3: Twenty minutes in the hydration yeah, okay, so we've you could live with I mean, could you live with that? Bananas?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I do quite like bananas. See my secret secret easy dessert. When you don't want to make I'd say, well, you don't put any effort in but p Actually I was going to say, when I want to make amy, go and do it with putting much effort in bananas, custard, a spoonful of peanut, butter and cinnamon on top.
Speaker 3: See that's all foreign, isn't it foreign?
Speaker 2: There's nothing in there, Nothing in there came from our fields.
Speaker 3: No custard.
Speaker 1: We used to have a custard factory in Birmingham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think they still imported the vanilla pods. I would imagine.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine there was British va pods now. So therefore, okay, chili chili you can in this country. Now, you can grow those in this country. Do we ever get British chili? So you've seen a British chili in the wild.
Speaker 3: They're in the co op in Bottersdale.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a chili plant if you want.
Speaker 1: Had some good chili plants in my day, we had one in my I had a shared house and I had it in the conservatory. Boy did it. It went really well and they were absolutely they will knock your socks off. We used to shout at it and not water it and plow play heavy metal to it, and and they shriveled up like a like an old man's old boy and they were aggressive.
Speaker 3: Because of the heavy metal music. This is some I think the Kings should know about, because he plays Bach to his his his.
Speaker 1: And they'll be like snowflake Chili would just be like that'd just be you know, if you water them, give them good hydration and play them peaceful music, they'll be like mellow chilies. But as a hardcore played death metal and and got forced to watch videos of the of the towers coming down.
Speaker 2: So to finish this right that came in afterwards. That suck up on that one. We always there, always used to be this thing that you couldn't grow chilies in the UK. Hey, but it turns that you can. And I'm currently growing a small section of an acre of queenwa yeah at the moment, so you can grow that in the UK. That's our middle class.
Speaker 3: I used.
Speaker 1: To eat quenoa, but and then I've just suddenly thought, this is actually not nice.
Speaker 2: It's just bits.
Speaker 1: It is just bits. Never eat anything that sounds like a karate move.
Speaker 2: I'm not interested in it.
Speaker 3: Actually, if you think most but wild bird seed mixes have got quena in them, is that because fat hen fat hen is the wild version of it, which I can assure you is growing very well in my wild flower patch that I'm looking out at at the moment. But yeah, you can grow quen while very easily in this country. I just don't think.
Speaker 1: I think Jamie Oliver convinced me to eat it for probably about a year and then I was like, this tastes like shit.
Speaker 3: I don't don't want to eat.
Speaker 1: It's just bits.
Speaker 3: Of stop making no no, So okay, okay. So we're at a point where basically other than I mean, have you got any other uses for say something like one of those green things what they called I was going to say aberg because you grow those in this country. No, the you know the thing we were just talking about, the avocard.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've just admitted your posh as you're sitting in your orange.
Speaker 3: Yah, we got it. Orange. It's my study.
Speaker 2: It's a handmade oak conservatory with a proper route.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's got even a retro bronze fan which Amy's made me stop it from oscillating because it was affecting my microphe.
Speaker 2: Yes, we bought him a nice microphone so you can actually hear him, and he immediately plugged in an electric fan on the opposite.
Speaker 3: Side of my fault that has suddenly gone ridiculously hot. You know it's well, it probably is, actually, I mean you think of that else. Yes, were quite you know the amount I've smoked and the petrol guzzling cars I've had ed. Milliban's got me nailed down as a as a net carbon bloody emitter or something. Probably he's got a fatoir on me. So anyway, we have done enormous amounts of good today. So we have advised people on what flies they should be tying and what dog hair they should use. We have given an insight into that there are very few things that you actually need to buy the foreign. In actual facts, you know, there's nothing you need to buy this foreign And in fact, I would like anyone who it's a country slide patron to sign a pledge a bit like people used to do when they stop drinking back in the Victorian Times, is that you will sign a pledge that I will eat nothing that hasn't got a Union flag on it. And we have also agreed that Paul Pousland shouldn't be let anywhere near rivers at this time of year because it's bad for Pike. Was that what we decided?
Speaker 2: And oh yes absolutely, And you know if Laura listeners would like to go and make any other suggestions for roadskill.
Speaker 3: That they have seen. So anyway, is that the main show done? Because I'm just very aware that that Amy has also had to become a cheese farmer the last few days, so she's got to edit this nonsensical squid into something that almost sounds like.
Speaker 2: Show right onto the after show, which is where we say all the things and we can relax to say the things that we don't want to say out in public because we'll end up in jail, or in Callum's case, the yummy mummies at the Forest School will pick up on it and well ostracize him.
Speaker 1: Choke on their match a lattes.
Speaker 2: Goodbye, goodbye, good bye,