Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get.
Speaker 1: Off our show, idiot, the kids are playing or turn a Lot and your countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Welcome in to a Tuesday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That is me, the one and only mister Austin Montgomery alongside today. We're taking you up till six o'clock. That means we've got you for the next three hours. I hope. I mean I kind of just said it like it was a given that you will be with us for the next three hours. I say it like that that maybe you feel like it's a requirement, maybe you feel like it's mandatory. I mean, you really can do whatever the hell you want, but why would you not want to hang out with us right here for the next three hours. We're gonna have some fun and as always, I'll start off by letting you know we are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program, not only because you'll be able to save money at the gas pump. But today for lunch, I had the taketos. They are delicious. You can get three of them for three bucks. I mean, can beat it. Just the perfect perfect amount of food. I mean, everybody, I guess is different when it comes to how much they like me and everybody's appetites different. But I'm real big on like portion control. I mean, I've been able to maintain the weight that I want to be at for a while and it's not any strict diet and it's not any crazy exercise of all. I do still work out, as if you guys can't tell. But when it comes to you know, portion control, like I'm not watching what I eat that much, I'm just not eating a whole lot of it. And those taketos it was the perfect perfect size meal. Are you a big portion guy? You more of a I'm gonna eat one big meal a day, or I'm eating three small meals. Do you snack? I mean that everybody's metabolism is different, Austin, you just never know.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of I got a lot of heftiness on my body. I'm a portion kind of guy. There's a lot of times we go to restaurants and they give you, like the small steak on top of like the scoop of potatoes, which is usually nice. But I like there to be a lot, you know, like a Panda Express, Like there's this thing, there's two sides, there's a I.
Speaker 2: Like, you want a big spread. I want a big spread. Okay, I love a big spread, and look I do too. It's just you know, I I you'll get there at some point. And you're thinner now, I think than you were when I met you, to be honest with you, now that I think of it, but that was many years ago. I I've had good balance too, thank you. I've that's a compliment actually, and I appreciate that I've I've found good balance for the last I don't know six months or so that I have not had really ever as an adult. I when I say balance, I mean I'm pretty content where I don't feel like I'm miserable because I'm following some crazy strict diet, but I'm also not eating a ton to where I feel like crap. And then when I get out of the shower, I look in the mirror and I'm like, oh, my goodness, you have boobs like I'm. I'm right in the middle, which is where I want to be. I'm maintaining the weight that I want. But I fluctuated a lot over the years, and now I've kind of, you know, I've been able to stay where I want to stay, which is, you know, I'm atabolism. I don't know, you know, I don't know if mine's different than anybody else. But there's a lot of things out there that you hear people tell you when you're young. And if there is any young folks out there, I mean, Austin, you're young. To me, you are a little bit, and I know we have some younger listeners. It's it's true for just about everybody, not the entire population, but most of us. When you do get older and you continue to, you know, eat the way you've eaten. You've been eaten since you were you know, a teenager or your early twenties, it'll catch up with you. But there are some people I know that for the for their entire life, they've i mean I've never seen them not shoving their face with food and they've weighed the exact same so it's like they have a tape warm. Yeah, those are the lucky people. But you know, I'm not so lucky, and I've got to you know, I'm five eight one's one fifty eight as of this morning, which you know is I think the bm I would tell you that I'm that I'm a fat ass, which, by the way, we got to we got to recalibrate the BMI, like everybody's a fat slob ifo we're using BMI.
Speaker 3: That's like the that's like the BCS of like your body, right, Like who still uses that archaic.
Speaker 2: A flawed formula.
Speaker 3: But we need to just scrap BMI because they can tell you that on the little crappy machines at like the gym, whenever you go put your arm into the thing, it tells you your BMI, Like no, I want the human element in that.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Also, you know, how do you say that when it comes to BMI, Like you can just you can just get a number, and you know, you can know your weight, your age and just put it in a spreadsheet or put it in an online database or something and it'll tell you r BMI. But like not everybody, like not every pound is the same. Some pounds fat, some pounds muscles.
Speaker 3: So you know, anyways, everyone's just always told me that as a referendum and making me f a lot better, Like how you put on weight by your muscle ways.
Speaker 2: You would fa Oh man, isn't that like the ultimate? Like those people that say that, those are the people that it's just instincts for them to want to make you feel better. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like those are those are the good people of society that it's just oh yeah, they could they could look at you and tell that, yeah, they're ain't no muscle here. It just you're a lard ass. But man, I'm gonna tell them what, Hey, you've been lifting eh, muscle ways more than fat. You've heard that, right? Do we even know that's true? And did somebody just say that one time and we ran with it to not feel as bad as a society.
Speaker 3: I'll take you I've ran with it. I don't know if I've actually looked it up. I appreciate when people say that, but or or you're big bone that's what it was when you were as a kid, and I'm just big boned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember a baby fat? Like was that really a thing? Like?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, I got that a lot during my teenage years. But were you a big baby too?
Speaker 2: I still am a big baby? Well, okay, fair enough, because you know, I remember kids in school would talk about when they were you know, they were bigger, and honestly, probably because they're getting teased for being big, they would, oh, it's baby fat. And they probably heard that, you know, from their mom or their dad because they didn't want to make them feel self conscious about being maybe a little bit on the hefty side. Which but but like I'm not really sure that's the thing. Like babies are you know, babies can be fat. You know, I think every baby, maybe not every baby, but a lot of babies go through a certain phase from like infant to pre toddler where they're they're they're they're fat, they got a lot of you know, they got a big they got big legs, they got a big belly, that kind of stuff. But eventually you kind of like you know, like if you're a if you are above eight years old and you have maybe some excess fat and you're a little bit larger than the average weight, I'm not really sure you can call baby fat. I mean you can, but I'm not really sure that's what it is.
Speaker 3: But I could see them saying that through the whole thinning out process as you hit the magic puberty age. Oh yeah, that's just baby fat, You're gonna thin out.
Speaker 2: I never I never got tall enough to where like you know, that's why that that actually get What I was getting to is that I don't have a good frame hide weight. Like if i'm if I get to be about ten twelve pounds heavier than I am right now, and you know it's not muscle, because you know, muscles more than fat, then like it's it's showing in the moves, It's showing in the gut, you know, it's showing in the neck, yeah, the love handles. Yeah, I got. I feel like if I if I know that I've picked up some weight and pick, I don't want to step on the scale and I'm like maybe not even trying to look in the mirror because because I don't want to I'm not going to like what I see. The area where I notice it first is my neck. I don't know what it is about it, but it's just it stands out. So anyway, stay healthy, everybody. And this was a long winded way of me telling you to check out the tiketos at Thornton's because they're delicious. And yes, they may not be the most nutritious, you know, lunch item, but you know what, if you only have a couple of them or three of them, you're probably gonna be okay.
Speaker 3: Moderation right, it's right, don't they They have produced there too. I thought they got to grab a banana tuo.
Speaker 2: Oh they've got it all there, you go, trust me, they've got it all. So shout out to our friends over there at Thornton's. All right, if you guys want to take us with you wherever you go today, listen live on the iHeartRadio listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. I feel like there's a lot going on when it comes to like national stuff. Right. We've got the college football playoff rankings coming out tonight. We've actually got a handful of things I want to get into when it comes to college football that really are probably not of local interest, but certainly you know more signs that this sport, well, really, college sports in general is nothing like what it once was. I mean, you've got coaches during the season now already moving behind the scenes to try to prepare for which quarterback they're going to go get that hasn't even hit the portal yet. You've got some schools realizing they have paid way too much guaranteed money to coaches that are not getting it done. Lincoln Riley, by the way, who I mean this is? This is probably not a bad move. It's just something you don't typically see USC turning themselves in for violations to the NCAA and probably trying to find any little rule that they broke so they can turn themselves in so they can maybe fire Lincoln Riley with cause and not have to pay him his massive buyout. But that's I mean, money matters, and they don't have the money to get rid of that coach and he's not getting it done. So again, we'll get the updated rankings tonight, and I think Louisville stands to move up, and that's gonna be great, But I don't want to lie to anybody and act like that means I think they've got some kind of a scenario to find themselves in the playoff. In fact, I just I think with three losses and given you know the league you're in, and you're only having one notable win, and that win doesn't really I mean, it's not really even like a Tier one win. I mean, winning at Clemson is tough to do, but Clemson is, you know, right around barely in the top twenty five. So it's gonna be a little bittersweet to see him move up because I think if they beat pitt next week, they could I mean, you could get to the last week of the season heading into the Kentucky game, where because of what's going on elsewhere, you may find yourself sniff in the top fifteen, and you know what, they put twelve teams in the playoffs, So you might feel like, hey, but just the way it, I mean, one, I don't want to get my hopes up because and also I just know it's not realistic. But I hope others don't get their hopes up, because you're you're probably gonna see them move up a little bit over these next few weeks. As long as they take care of business, and that'll be good to see. But because of how the playoff, you know, is structured, it's not just the teams that are ranked one through twelve, it's you know, there are slots within this twelve team bracket that are you know, spots for certain teams that accomplish certain things like winning your league, the G five team and all that kind of stuff. So again a little bittersweet, but I have decided to and I've really talked about this since they beat Clemson, and I talked about it right before that game. To be honest, with you, losing the shot at playing in the ACC Championship within just you know, the first half of the season was pretty rough, especially knowing that, like they played good teams and if they just play like a little bit better in some of those games, they probably win. And man, we're talking about a totally different situation. So that's still a little bit of a bitter feeling. But you still had something to play for finishing strong, and them beating Clemson really put it in motion here to where they can finish the season really strong. And I'm gonna embrace that and I'm gonna try not to think back to what could have been, because it's it's you know, it would it could have, should have. And yet three games that you could have probably tightened up just a little bit and you would have avoided a loss, but you can't go back and change it. And this is where it really sounds like I'm drinking the bram kool aid and I'm really being a homer. But I'm just gonna tell you what I think. I don't know how many other programs or teams would have been able to respond the way Louisville did when they got down twenty one against Boston College. That's to me another sign that we have a pretty good ball coach leading the program. Now again, they could crumble and lose by lose is twenty point favorites. It's like they are against Stanford on Saturday. But I don't believe that's gonna happen. And you went out and then you go in a bowl game. That's a ten win season. And I know, with the portal and with nil, you're seeing some teams really just turn into something totally different in one year's time. And that's awesome, But to just I don't know if we're ever going to be at a point as a Louisville football fan base to where you can look at a ten win season and not feel like you had a really good year. I don't want to say special. I don't want to say historic, because you did it last year, but this will be if they went out, this will be the second time in program history that Louisville has had two con or back to back ten win seasons. I mean, so let's hope that happens, all right. Also, we've got a big college basketball event tonight, and I do love this event just because you can tell. I mean, it's four of the bigger programs in college basketball getting us, you know, essentially started. I think it would have been last week had it not been for the election, So I think it's bit later than it typically is. But either way, you know, the Champions Classic is really the national reminder that college basketball season is here, because you're gonna I mean, this event gets so much viewership for a couple reasons, mostly because you know, when these two teams, when these four programs play college basketball on a national network anytime in the year, you're gonna get some pretty good numbers. Now, nothing compared to what you see like in the NFL or big time college football games. But because they give you the updated college football playoff rankings between the games, there's gonna be a lot of eyeballs on these games just for that, and I would hope that people would stick around and watch, just because you know, I love college basketball and I want as many people to consume the product as possible. But I have no clue what's going to happen in these games tonight. Not a clue. And that's really kind of become an every year thing because we know that all these teams are featuring many new players. Kentucky's a brand new team. Michigan State, I gotta admit I don't know a whole lot about their their roster this year. Obviously Duke, they've got Cooper Flag, a guy who is as hyped as anybody I can think of entering college basketball in a long, long time. And then Kansas, they've already they've already picked up a big time when early on this season knocking off North Carolina so a big event. But I was thinking about all the different ways I could wager on this, but we're all just guessing, because it's if you're putting something together tonight to bet on these games. And if you're a Kentucky fan, I'm sure you're gonna bet on your team because you want to not only get that win as a fan with that emotional high, but you know you win some money that makes it even better, right, But it's not about who you think is gonna be better. It's not about who you think has more talent. It's really it's just about being able to guess at this point, this early in the year, who's more capable of you know, better than the other team. And you know typically that's that's always how you would put together any kind of decision when you're betting on something. Who do I think will play better and win? Will they win by this? Much?
Speaker 1: Like it?
Speaker 2: It's it's how it always works. But my point is, like tonight I might, like I might, I'm not gonna do it because I would, I would just block out, Like I think Kentucky plus six and a half is the play. I'm not gonna bet it, and I hope it doesn't work out that way. I hope they get killed. Also wouldn't be shocked if they win, to be honest with you, but I know that in February. There's a good chance that Duke will be much more polished because their true freshmen will have a lot more reps, and they have elite level talent and a lot of NBA guys on their roster. I'm not sure if there's anybody on the Kentucky roster that's going to have a link the NBA career. That's not an insult. I mean, they're used to having those NBA guys, but obviously things are gonna be done a little bit differently with Mark Pope. So I don't know. I'm gonna watch it. I'm excited for it, but I want to bet on it, but I have I mean, I don't have a clue what to do here. Wouldn't you say, though, Kentucky plus six and a half? Like, doesn't that you know? I'm not even sure if you've watched much Kentucky this year, Austin, because you know, I don't know why you would, but this to me screams like the veterans will be more ready than the young guys.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I love that number six and a half. We were talking about it before the show. I can, I can, I can hammer that. You know, this seems like everyone's kind of focused on the whole Cooper flag thing, and you've already had some passive s talk coming from that Kirk Chris and I watched him at Arizona too, so I've seen a lot of him. I think he's really very unbrand for him, right, yeah, absolutely, the from one Wildcat to another. But you know, he's, Uh, this seems like I wouldn't even say, like backed into a corner type of Pope team because I think there's a lot of people anticipating that there's gonna be really good, probably exceed expectations for a first year coach. But I feel like they could take this as a scenario where kind of no one believes in us. We're going up against this and this this talent that's supposed to be the most talked about since like Zion Williams sitting there, and I still don't even when it comes to that, I still don't think anythings were going to talk the Zion madness. So like, I really don't believe in that Cooper flag kid all that much just yet, but I do.
Speaker 2: Talking to tonight, I think he's gonna be I don't know what he's gonna do tonight, I think he's I mean legit, it comes down to what you view as like, okay, next, Like I could watch Zion and know that's not normal at any at any point, you know, for a guy that big, with that frame to be able to jump off the ground that high and have feet that quick. And I mean he was, he was a special talent and he's one of Zion will always be one of those guys. To me that to say that you know, he's a unicorn doesn't mean he's the best player ever, but like there's nothing you would really compare him to. And and I don't know if Cooper Flag is that, but when he was playing against and with Team USA this summer and holding his own and sometimes getting the best of guys that are stars in the NBA, I mean that that's not normal. So and you know, maybe he's got this killer's instinct that people talk about. I don't you know what what what Kirk Chris has said really wasn't like over the top. But you know, he's been a smart ass's what he's doing. And and you know, if you want to two ways this could go. That could maybe light a fire under a guy who's got nothing but hype, and I've not heard a single person talk about him being overrated or being not as good as advertised or anything like that. And I'm not even sure that's really what Kurk Chrisa meant. But if if Cooper Flagg was looking to find an edge, looking to find some motivation, he could certainly use that. He might have to, you know, embellish it a little bit or manufacture something added on to it. But if you're but if you're Pope in Kentucky, you can look at this as, hey, this young, and it's so crazy because it's the exact opposite of what they're used to. Kentucky's teams have always been young. They are the teams that go into this knowing, hey, we'll probably lose, but be better at the end. Now it's completely a role reversal because Kentucky's team, for the most part, is a bunch of a bunch of grown ass men. So we'll see, we'll see how it plays out tonight. I know I'm looking forward to watching both games, and really, top to bottom, we got a lot of college hoops tonight, which I'm sure some of you haven't really shifted totally to college basketball, just yet. But to me, I'm always in college basketball mode. But that didn't mean we won't talk some football today. Because again, what the committee decides to do tonight after five top twenty teams lost over the weekend, I don't have a real I mean, we'll see, right, I'm predicting the committee is always tough after just one week. Tonight's actually, you know, the second week, especially after you get some losses like we had five top twenty teams losing, We're going to really get a chance to see how they you know, how they really value conferences. How much are they going to really put into Okay, yes you lost and that's not a good result, but how much does that really move you? How much does that change your resume? Because every year, and I don't know if it'll ever be something that people just get used to and they're acclimated with. But when when the Committee updates each week, it's not what you lost, so therefore you're going to automatically move down. You won, Therefore your automatic gonna move up if somebody lost in front of you. It doesn't work that way because it's a reset each week about your overall resume. So maybe there won't be as much shake up as people are expecting because of those losses, and it'll it should be, it should be your annual reminder that a loss doesn't necessarily just automatically mean you fall, because you may have some breathing room, right, You may be a team that had a loss to burn because you were your resume was that far ahead and that far ahead of everybody else's. So we'll we'll certainly see tonight. We have one guests going to join us, Cel Brown. He is actually I don't know if he's there yet. He's probably already there. He's he's punctual. He's in Atlanta for the Champions Classic tonight. We'll get his thoughts at four point thirty on what happened with Louisville against Tennessee over the weekend. Obviously not a not a good result by any means, and we'll also get his thoughts on tonight's matchups there with Kansas and Michigan State, Kentucky and Duke So again, he'll join us at four thirty. You guys can jump in anytime. Bibo two seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. You can also text in on the lln N Federal Credit Union text line five h two six five three zero seven ninety What I want to get to next. I thought at times that when Kenny Payne was here, there would be something he says, there would be something done, something not done that I for a moment thought, Okay, wait a second, this is some kind of a joke, Like this isn't real. He can't be serious, is he is he wanting to make people think that he's trying to like show that he doesn't like he doesn't want the job like that, like he I mean, you guys know what I'm talk about. If you're a little basketball fan, there were many many things that you just thought to yourself, Okay, what what in no way, Well, he talked to the media today because Cal, you know, is being cal and not not doing media obligations because you know, it's what he does. And Kenny Payne said something that like took me back, and I wasn't sad because you know, he's not here anymore and that's good. But he's still doing the same stuff that he did while he was here, and it just fascinates me, it really does. We'll tell you what he had to say about that Baylor loss that Arkansas suffered over the week, and we'll get to that next. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here. It is Coffee and Company and we are fuel byth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars entered this nationwide keyword on our website. Win that's when.
Speaker 2: Enter it now at seven ninety Louisville dot Com.
Speaker 1: From the Fox Sports Studios in Los Angeles, here's Moncey Bolanos.
Speaker 4: As expected, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is scheduled to undergo surgery Wednesday on his injured hamstring. His season is officially over. Owner Jerry Jones announced the Cowboys are signing quarterback.
Speaker 2: Will Grier to their practice squad.
Speaker 4: The Chiefs are designating running back Isaiah Pacheco and defensive end Charles omenihuture return from injured reserve. The pan have activated wide receiver Adam Thielen from injured reserve at the end of his twenty one day practice window. And changes happening in Chicago. Shane Waldron has been fired as the Bears offensive coordinator less than ten months after being hired for the job. The Bear's offense had gone twenty three consecutive possessions without scoring a touchdown. Offensive passing coordinator Thomas Brown has been promoted to offensive coordinator in the NBA. ESPN reports that New Orleans Pelicans guard Jose Alvarado is expected to miss six weeks due to a hamstring injury. They're already without Zion Williamson and CJ McCollum.
Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Dry Countyboard dot com studios. This is Sports Talk seven nine Day now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, so earlier today, Kenny Paine was I suppose doing on Caliperry's job for him, which was, you know, talking to the media. And Baylor, of course, knocked off Arkansas on Saturday. I'm not sure how many Louisville fans watched or paid attention to that, but I know Kentucky fans were watching. They're lying if they say that they weren't, and I get it, that's not criticism. I would be doing the same thing. And if I was, you know, in your shoes, which I'm not, I mean, it would be clear, like you would want cawtaleus every game. Let's be real, it was a breakup. And even if it is a situation that both sides wanted, in this stage of a breakup, it's still fresh enough and you still, you know, as a Kentucky fan, you still at this point are all in on Mark Pope and you may always be all in. Maybe he wins big tonight, and if so, Kentucky fans are gonna be on one. As they say, they're gonna be obnoxious at a level that really makes you want to throw up. And again, if I was them, I'd probably do the same thing. But with like with cal, you want, this is what you want. You may not know you want it, but you want it. It's the result that if it played out and you didn't know you wanted it, you would think, oh, why does this feel so good? This feels this is amazing. And what I mean is you want him to struggle and then wish he was still your coach, but you've already moved on. You got a new man and he's Mark Pope, and I don't know if he's going to win the night, and I don't know if long term he's going to be the guy I have no reason to think that he can't be. But obviously, you know, only time will tell. I did hear Matt and the Crew this morning on KSR mentioning how it really is tough to see how many coaches have followed legends and then and then you know, failed or not come close, maybe failing as a stretch for some of them. But my reaction was, yeah, you know what, I guess that is true. A lot of the coaches that have taken over for a really good coach that moved on for a new gig or retired, they've had a tough time filling those humongous shoes. But is Cal a legend? Like? Is Cal like? I mean, he had a good run there, of course, but like he's got big shoes to fill. But not just because Cal. He's got big shoes to feel because he's the coach of Kentucky and that's a pretty big job that has insanely high standards. I'm not even trying to take a dig at Cal. I'm just saying, like, you know, I don't I don't really look at Matt Doherty replacing Dean Smith, like Mark Pope replacing John Calip Perry. That's just me though like Tubby Smith replaced Rick won a title in his first year, right, I mean, that's that's replacing a legend and carrying over what he was doing. Now someone will say that that title had a lot to do with more to do with Rick than Tubby, and I don't know, probably a little bit of both, to be honest with you. But anyways, nonetheless, Cal is still doing the same things he was doing here in Lexington that and I say here, I'm not living Lexton as you know what I mean. When he was the coach of Kentucky and it was really really annoying for Kentucky fans because they felt like, hey, come on, man, like, why are you not doing your job? Why are you talking down to us? Why are you blaming losses on the fact that your team has in practice? Well, why haven't they practiced? Like it's just you know, the Cal stick had run really really stale, especially because he had not won in the tournament in a while and had losses to Saint Peter's and whoever else Saint Peter's in Oakland. So him sending Kenny Paine out after a loss to Baylor on Saturday to do the weekly media check in or at least the media check in the media press conference before your next game is such a cow move, and it's another sign that he's not going to be re energized. He's not going to be scorned to the point where he puts more into this and he does reinvent himself as a coach so he can have success and do it all out of spite because he wants Kentucky fans just like I mentioned, you all want him to wish he was still here, and you know you all are content and happy with your new man, right, he wants you all to miss him, and so far early on in the season. I mean, Kentucky will find out tonight this is their first actual game, you know, and gets somebody that matters. But kl Lou's into Baylor right after Baylor got beat by fifty points in early to Gonzaga that that was a dub a win for Kentucky in this in this breakup battle that is going to play out over these next few months. So Kenny Payne, guys remember him, right, he's now doing the meeting. He did the press conference today for John Caliperry, and I don't believe for a second that this was like a poor attempt at humor. I just think this is this is I don't know, I'm I don't want to insult him, but like if I did, I don't think anybody would really care. But Kenny Payne says Arkansas was caught off guard and tentative against Baylor in the first half these Baylor played zone, and it took you right back to that loss a year ago to Indiana, where Kenny Payne said one of the many things he said throughout his two years here where you think, what did he really say that? He said Mike Woodson tricked him when he threw his zone out there. And what that is is a coach having no awareness that what he's doing is telling you that the staff, not the players, not even like you're not saying, well, we really thought we could guard this all American, but man, he was a lot better than we anticipated. He's a really good player. I mean, that's still something you don't want to have to say. But by saying you were tricked by something that an opponent did, or that you were caught off guard by something they were doing, that's quite literally a coach only a coaching thing here, letting everybody know that they weren't ready, they weren't prepared, and I now hear that. I hope Kenny does all the pressers this year. It's not going to give me PTSD anymore. It's gonna put me in a happy place to know that like that, that's not going on here anymore. I think I needed that to become, like, you know, a big talking point among Louisville fans on Twitter today because usually when I see those kind of things, those flat it gives me PTSD. But not anymore. I'm free of that now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you bring up Kenny Payne. I got to bring up one of my favorite soundbites from him, ever, hold one.
Speaker 1: Depressed.
Speaker 2: What was the context there?
Speaker 3: I think it was talking about like he's one of those try to get everybody routed up moments, because if you're looking at I think it was like if you're looking at your teammates and they're looking at you, and they're thinking.
Speaker 2: He's say depressed or oppressed, I'm depressed. I'm depressed. My guess, My guess would be that it was said because you know, he he smiled and oftentimes didn't look as if he cared that they want if they want or lost a game. Like the things he said, the way he carried himself, his body language, his facial expressions, it was all the same if they won one of the twelve games he won in his time here, or if they lost by fifty like, it was always the same, which made you think that he didn't care if they wanted He just thought, well, hey, no matter what happens, they should just be thankful that I'm here, because you know, they needed me and I'm here and this was just gonna happen regardless of who the coach was, because things were broken and the culture and you know, all that nonsense he's spewed for two straight years. So my guess is that maybe he was trying to defend himself and say that he is upset that they're losing. But you know, he didn't really convince me, and I'm not sure he ever wanted to win here. I'll never understand how that went the way it did. But it's over, and honestly, now that I'm giving it some thought, I think maybe I've moved on from you know, being not bit. I mean, I'm happy it's over, and I've been well aware that Louisville has a real ball coach leading the program, now that is going to you know, take accountability all that kind of stuff. But I think hearing Pat Kelsey handle loss and just know that, hey, well, only time will tell if in fact they're gonna really they're going to really grow from that twenty two point loss to Tennessee. Like we'll see if in fact they make improvements. But I'm not worried about any accountability, right Like Pat Kelsey, he knows it's his He's never gonna blame anybody but himself, and that's what you should do. Like Louisville right now, in both basketball and football, has head coaches that I don't think you'll ever hear them blame a player, even if we know that sometimes like yeah, it was more about players than it was about coaches, just because they're well aware that there's no like, you stand nothing to gain at any point as a head coach by blaming anything on your players, even if it is their fault, Like it's just gonna make you sound like you're not willing to take accountability. So you know, that doesn't mean these coaches are going to be here forever and be phenomenal because you know, you got to win but it is nice to see that whenever you do take a loss, the accountability always seems to fall on I mean, look, if Jeck Brom threw his defensive coordinator under the bus directly, I don't think Louisville fans would have done anything but celebrate. But like he just knows, there's no benefit in me doing that. I'm gonna say it starts with us. Now, we all know who he was talking about when he was pointing out how the defense needed to be more simplified and it was too complex and all that. But yeah, Kenny Payne still in his own world, I think, and you know, I'm happy that he's no longer he's no longer here.
Speaker 3: As I as I look up that video and it's I mean, it just brings back PTSD flashbacks. It's just Kenny Payne wearing the Louisville attire and he's got the Louisville backdrop. It's a terrifying image that I don't like to think of those times. Like I use when I grew up, there is this video store I always went to that had a Freddy Krueger cut out, and I was terrified of it from there on out. That's been and drenched in my brain ever since that, along with Linda Blair at The Exorcist. You know, he's got the face in the three sixty that's terrifying. Up there with the top three most terrifying images I hate to see is Kenny Paine and as a Louisville coach right before a press.
Speaker 2: Conference, I'm, I'm sure you're not alone. And you know I love doing the postgame shows for basketball and football for obvious reasons, but because it's so raw and real and right after the game, like I'm I'm not even really sure I've put together how I feel about a loss or a win, because lately some of these postgame shows. I mean, I knew Louisville hadn't won. I Mean, the game was pretty much over pretty early on against Tennessee, but as I'm kind of talking through it and listening to callers and just kind of, you know, letting it settle in that they did come out on their first big test and lose in a big way. Like I was certainly disappointed, but it didn't take long at all for me to get re energized after hearing Pat Kelsey. Not because I'm telling you, there's no doubt in my mind that they they win the next time. They're in a situation like that. None of us really know, but I'm numb to losing. We've done that for two straight years against bum teams. So a twenty two point loss to Tennessee is certainly not the results you'd ever want. We're not going to celebrate it, but like, I'm still numb to losing. It's something we got too used to around here. Institutional off. Yeah, yeah, no doubt about it now real quick, before we get to our next break. I will say this, I think the feeling that a lot of Louisville fans had late last week leading into Saturday's game against Tennessee, I think that's going on right now with Kentucky. And again I hope they lose by fifty tonight. That'd be great. I might do my own post game show if that happens. But you know, like I like it is. It's a beautiful thing to see, Like they are not coming off of the run that Louisville had with the previous regime, but many they were in a tough spot because Cal would you know, do Cal things, and he'd shown them at one point in his tenure there that he could win at a high level and get to a Final four. But I think you were finding yourself as a Kentucky fan trying to convince yourself that it'll eventually get back to that where he was in his first five years there. But you deep down knew it that it wasn't gonna happen. And you know last year he really wasted a special team, a special roster with three elite guards, and like, that's got a sting. But now it's over and you got a new guy leading the program. He is checking all the boxes that Cal would have never checked. Now again, if he doesn't win, none of that matters. But he's hitting in your fields, meaning Mark Pope, because he's all Kentucky first, program first, not anything about him. And with Cal, it was essentially the Caliperi program, not the Kentucky program. So they're looking at their team playing really well right now, dominant in their first two games. Now they've got a big test against Duke, and I can sense that they've got some confidence, and I don't blame him. I would probably feel the same way, and I've said it earlier. I wouldn't be shocked if they win the night, so Louisville of course got humbled pretty quickly. I don't know if that's going to happen with Kentucky, but you know, rarely will you find us, and I mean Louisville and Kentucky fans in this spot, meaning where both are start over for different reasons of course, and who knows, maybe the results are completely different for each of these coaches. We'll have to wait and see. But this rivalry is pretty big deal and for both fan bases at the same time to kind of be going through, you know, the newness, the honeymoon, you know, it's it's something we may I may never experience this again as somebody in this position, right, because rarely do you get new coaches around here, and for both of them that go through it at the same time, it's it's exciting. But again, I hope Kentucky loses about fifty tonight. Doubt it happens, but we'll see quick break keep a locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety