Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. This time we're strapping in for a deep dive into the world of modern full stack development.
Speaker 2: Oh, this should be interesting.
Speaker 1: It's like being a digital architect. Yeah, designing and building apps from the flashy front end to the hard working back end.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Our guide for this adventure Okay, excerpts from modern full stack development using typescript React no JS.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: Get ready to journey from the good old days of basic to the superpowered world of containers.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a trip that will be.
Speaker 1: Making apps run smoother than a well oiled starship engine.
Speaker 2: I am fascinated by how much programming has evolved. We too remember basic programs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could fit on.
Speaker 2: A cassette tape, I know, and you could practically see the lines of code translating to a stick figure doing jumping jacks on screen.
Speaker 1: That straightforward turn on type run boom approach feels like a world away. It does nowadays. It's more like baking a kick a lead complex cake with layers upon layers of technology.
Speaker 2: That's a good analogy. And speaking of crucial ingredients, let's talk about no JS. Okay, it's a JavaScript run time that can power pretty much everything these days. Uh huh, servers, developer tools, Yeah, desktop apps, I've heard that. You name it cool and here's the kicker. Okay, it's surprisingly simple to set up, even for newbies, even for someone new to this world.
Speaker 1: So we've got no JS running the show. Yes, but what about all the external code libraries and tools we need.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where NPM swoops in to save the day.
Speaker 1: NPM exactly.
Speaker 2: NPM short for Node Package Manager, is like a massive code library and an app store for developers.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: It fetches and manages all the pre built components and utilities you need, like a well stocked toolbox.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have no JS and NPM handling the behind the scenes work on the back end, right, but what about the front end? Yeah, the part of the app users act, see, and interact with.
Speaker 2: That's where React takes center stage.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You are React as a JavaScript library specifically for building user interfaces. Okay, think sleek, interactive and responsive websites and apps.
Speaker 1: I've heard about reacts component based architecture. Yeah, is it anything like building with Lego blocks?
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it. Really, React lets you create reusable components.
Speaker 1: Like building blocks of code.
Speaker 2: That's right, cool, that can be assembled to build complex.
Speaker 1: UIs keeping your code based, clean, organized, and deficient exactly. And let's not forget JSX. Yes, reacts secret weapon for making code look a bit more like HTML. How does JSX fit into the picture.
Speaker 2: Well, JSX makes building UIs much easier by letting you write clard that looks a lot like HTML.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: This means it's simpler to visualize and understand the structure of your user interface elements. And it helps you dodge browser compatibility headaches.
Speaker 1: That's always a plus. It is, so we've got no JS and NPM handling the back end, react in JSX tackling the front end. But what about JavaScript itself?
Speaker 2: Hmm, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: How does it hold up in this complex world of full stack development.
Speaker 2: That's where Typescript comes in. Typescript it's like giving JavaScript a serious upgrade, especially for bigger, more complex projects.
Speaker 1: I've heard that typescript is all about adding data types to the mix. You got it, okay.
Speaker 2: By adding static typing, Typescript brings a level of order and predictability to the JavaScript.
Speaker 1: World, like a safety net.
Speaker 2: Think of it as a safety net that catches errors early on, making your code more reliable and easier to maintain.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a superpowered spell checker for your code exactly, keeping things neat and tidy.
Speaker 2: And happy developers write better code right for sure. Typescript definitely helps keep things running smoothly and prevents a lot of late night debugging sessions.
Speaker 1: I can imagine. All Right, so we have all these separate pieces no JS and PM, React JSX and Typescript. How do we bring them all together to create a cohesive and functional application. Is that where webpac steps in.
Speaker 2: Precisely, webpack is the maestro of our full stack orchestra, okay, taking all the code and assets and bundling them into optimized packages that browsers can understand.
Speaker 1: So it's like a super efficient suitcase packer for your app. Think of it that way, making sure everything is neatly organized and ready.
Speaker 2: To go exactly.
Speaker 1: So webpac takes care of all the behind the scenes magic. It does like a stage manager prepping the set before the curtain rises. Uh huh. Now the book dives into two real world projects to put all these technologies into practice. Right, Yes, you mentioned a webmail appy. What's the story there.
Speaker 2: This project called Mailbag. Mailbag takes you through building a webmail client from scratch. Wow, from scratch, handling everything from mailboxes and messages to contacts and those satisfying delete clicks.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: It's like creating your.
Speaker 1: Own mini Gmail, a mini Gmail, but.
Speaker 2: With the freedom to customize it to your heart's content.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a fun and challenging way to learn how all these technologies work together. It is. What are some of the key features we'd be building.
Speaker 2: The book guides you through implementing functionalities like listing and reading emails, composing and sending new messages, managing contacts, got it, Yeah, even deleting those unwanted emails.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Plus you'll learn how to interact with an IMP server for receiving mail and an SMTP server for some. It's a deep dive into how email actually works.
Speaker 1: Okay, sign me up right. That sounds like an awesome project to tackle.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But what about the other project, the multiplayer battle John game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one, now, that.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a whole other level of complexity.
Speaker 2: It's a great project.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that it uses web sockets for real time communication.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: Can you pay a picture of how web sockets create that seamless multiplayer experience.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're playing Battlejong with a friend sitting across from you. Every time you make a move, they see it instantly and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Web sockets create that same feeling of immediacy in the online world.
Speaker 1: So it's like having an invisible connection between players, precisely ensuring their game states are always in sync.
Speaker 2: Unlike traditional web communication where the client constantly has to ask the server for updates, web sockets allow for two way communication.
Speaker 1: Ah I see.
Speaker 2: This means the server can push updates to players instantly, go as it happen, without any delays.
Speaker 1: So it's a difference between sending a letter and having a live phone conversation exactly, no waiting for the mail carrier.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So each tile match yep, each move is instantly reflected on everyone's screens. That's the goal, making it feel like a true face to face game.
Speaker 2: Web sockets are the backbone of real time interactive appations cool think chat apps, collaborative editing tools, and of course multiplayer games. Yeah, they bring a level of dynamism and responsiveness that simply wasn't possible with older technologies.
Speaker 1: Web sockets are like opening a direct line of communication. Yeah, making everything snappy and interactive.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It's clear why they're so crucial for a game like Battle John, they are. Now let's shift gears to our final technology, Docker, the big one. You described it as a game changer for how we build ship and run applications. It is. Can you unpack that a bit further.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to that spaceship analogy. Okay, imagine you've built this incredible application, your starship ready to explore the galaxy. Got it, But it only runs on a very specific type of planetka with a very particular environment.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a problem. That's a problem right, absolutely, that limits where our starship can go and what it can do. We want it to be adaptable and able to travel to any destination.
Speaker 2: That's exactly where Darker comes in. Dock Docker lets us package our application and all its dependencies into a container. Think of it as a self contained travel pod for our starship.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: This container ensures that our application runs consistently no matter where it lands, So.
Speaker 1: No more worrying about whether our app will work on different servers or operating systems. Exactly, It's like having a universal adapter for our starship. Yes, making it compatible with any planet's infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Docker eliminates those dreaded it works on my machine scenarios by providing a consistent and reproducible environment.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: And it's not just about portability, okay. Docker also makes it incredibly easy to scale our applications scalability.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's about handling increasing traffic and demand right exactly, Like if our starship suddenly becomes super popular and everyone wants to book a ride.
Speaker 2: With Docker, we can easily spin up multiple instances of our application, each running in its own isolated container.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: This means we can handle massive traffic spikes without breaking a sweat.
Speaker 1: It's like having a fleet of starships ready to take on the galaxy.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: So Docker simplifies deployments, insures portability, and empowers scalability.
Speaker 2: It does all that.
Speaker 1: It truly is a game changer. It is.
Speaker 2: And there's another crucial benefit we haven't touched upon yet. What's that consistency throughout the software development life cycle. Docker ensures our application runs the same way from development to testing to production. Really, no more surprises or last minute scrambling.
Speaker 1: That's like having a synchronized flight plan for our entire fleet.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Everyone is on the same page, right, and there's less risk of things going wrong during the journey exactly.
Speaker 2: This consistency streamlines workflows, fosters collaboration between development and operations teams, and ultimately leads to more reliable and maintainable sexwere so.
Speaker 1: Docker is not just about deploying apps, No, it's not. It impacts the entire development process from start to finish.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: That's a valuable insight, I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered a lot of ground in this first part of our deep dive. We've explored the foundations of modern full stack development, from no JS and React to typescript and webpack.
Speaker 2: It's been a good overview.
Speaker 1: We've uncovered fascinating details about their origins, design choices, and the benefits they bring to the table.
Speaker 2: A lot of benefits.
Speaker 1: But there's so much more to explore, I know. Right when we come back, we'll take a closer look at those real world projects, the webmail app and the multiplayer battle John game. Those should be fun, and see how all these technologies come together to create truly amazing web experiences.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, I will.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the deep dive. It's time to roll up our sleeves and get hands on with those real world projects we talked about earlier. I'm ready remember mail Bag, Yeah, that webmail app. Let's explore how it uses a clever little database called ned.
Speaker 1: dB eddie b. Yeah. Is it one of those heavy duty database systems like big companies use.
Speaker 2: Not quite. Nettie b takes a different approach, how so. It's a lightweight database that stores data in simple Jalon files. Think of it as a mini database that lives right inside your project folder.
Speaker 1: So no need for complex server setups. Exactly configurations, so.
Speaker 2: No complex configuration.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly convenient. It is, So when would you use something like this?
Speaker 2: NEDBB is perfect for projects where you need a simple, efficient way to store data without all the overhead of a traditional database system.
Speaker 1: So in mail Bag, NETDIBE is used to manage the contact list right.
Speaker 2: That's right, storing names and email addresses.
Speaker 1: If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's a great example of how nettie Bee can handle real world tasks even within a lightweight file based system.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: It shows that you don't always need the biggest, most complex tools to get the job done.
Speaker 1: I like that philosophy.
Speaker 2: Keep it simple.
Speaker 1: Now let's move on to our other project. Okay, the multiplayer Battle John game.
Speaker 2: Yes, Battle Jack.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that it uses web sockets for real time communication.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: Can you give me an example of what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're playing battle Jong with a friend sitting across from you. Okay, every time you make a move, they see it instantly, and vice versa. Web sockets create that same feeling of immediacy in the online world.
Speaker 1: So it's like having an invisible connection between players, precisely ensuring their game states are always in sync. Right, That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Unlike traditional web communication, but the client constantly has to ask the server for updates.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Web sockets allow for two way communication.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: This means the server can push updates to players instantly as they happen, without any delays.
Speaker 1: So it's the difference between sending a letter and having a live phone conversation exactly, no waiting for the mail carrier. That's right. So each tile match, each move is instantly reflected on everyone's screens. That's the idea, making it feel like a true face to face game exactly.
Speaker 2: Web sockets are the backbone of real time interactive applications cool think chat apps, collaborative editing tools, and of course multiplayer games.
Speaker 1: They're everywhere these days. They are. They bring a level of dynamism and responsiveness that simply wasn't possible with older technologies.
Speaker 2: It's a huge improvement.
Speaker 1: I can imagine.
Speaker 2: Web sockets are like opening a direct line of communication like that, making everything snappy and interactive.
Speaker 1: So it's clear why they're so crucial for a game like Battle John it is. Now let's shift gears to our final technology, right, Docker, Docker, you described it as a game changer. It is a game change for how we build ship and run applications. I'm still a little fuzzy on what that actually means.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to that spaceship analogy. Okay, imagine you've built this incredible application, your starship tad to explore the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: But it only runs on a very specific type of planet with a very particular environment.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not cud.
Speaker 2: That's a problem, right, absolutely, because.
Speaker 1: It limits where our starship can go and what it can do.
Speaker 2: We want it to be adaptable and able to travel to any destination.
Speaker 1: That's exactly where Doctor comes in Docker.
Speaker 2: Yes, how does that fix it?
Speaker 1: Doctor lets us package our application and all its dependencies into a container. It container a self contained travel pod for our starship.
Speaker 2: That's a cool way to think about it.
Speaker 1: This container ensures that our application runs consistently no matter where it lands.
Speaker 2: So no more worrying about whether our app will work on different servers or operating systems.
Speaker 1: Exactly, No more of those it works on my machine scenarios.
Speaker 2: It does seem like everyone always says that, right, It's a classic. Doctor provides a consistent and reproducible environment.
Speaker 1: That's the beauty of it. Awesome, And it's not just about portability really well.
Speaker 2: Docker also makes it incredibly easy to scale our application scalability. Like, if our starship suddenly becomes super popular, right and everyone wants to book a.
Speaker 1: Ride, we need to be able to handle all the traffic exactly.
Speaker 2: With Docker, we can spin up multiple instances of our application, each running in its own isolated container.
Speaker 1: So each one is independent.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's cool. This means we can handle massive traffic spikes without breaking a sweat.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a fleet of starships ready to take on the galaxy.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy. It really captures the essence of Docker.
Speaker 1: So Docker simplifies deployments, insures portability, and empowers scalability.
Speaker 2: It does all of that and more.
Speaker 1: Truly a game changer it is.
Speaker 2: And there is another crucial benefit we haven't touched upon yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's up.
Speaker 2: Consistency throughout the software development life cycle. Docker ensures our application runs the same way from development to testing production.
Speaker 1: No more surprises or last minute scrambling exactly. That's like having a synchronized flight plan for our entire fleet.
Speaker 2: Everyone is on the same page and there's less risk of things going wrong during the journey. This consistency streamlines workflows, foster's collaboration between development and operations.
Speaker 1: Teams, and ultimately leads to more reliable and maintainable software.
Speaker 2: So dockers not just about deploying apps. No, it's about the entire development process from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Precisely.
Speaker 2: That's a valuable insight.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: All Right, we've explored the key technologies, yeah, fascinating details behind their design choices, and even gotten a glimpse of how they're used in real world projects. That's a good overview, but we're missing one crucial element. What's that you the listener? Oh right, it's time to shift the focus from the technologies themselves to how you can leverage their power. I like that to create your own amazing projects and embark on your own full stack adventures.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It's all about empowering people to build cool things.
Speaker 2: We've talked about NOJS, React, typescript, web pas doer, but the real magic happens when these tools are in your hands.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: What are you most excited about exploring further?
Speaker 1: Perhaps you're drawn to the versatility of no JS envisioning building dynamic web applications.
Speaker 2: Or crafting powerful command line tools that would be cool. Those are just a couple of possibilities that no JS unlocks.
Speaker 1: What about React reacts?
Speaker 2: Component based architecture is great for designing elegant and interactive user interfaces like.
Speaker 1: Interactive dashboards that visualize complex data, Yes, Or engaging e commerce platforms that streamline the shopping experience exact, Or how about captivating single page applications that feel smooth and responsive.
Speaker 2: Those are all great examples, And.
Speaker 1: Don't forget about typescript ah.
Speaker 2: Yes, typescript.
Speaker 1: It's not just about catching errors, it's also.
Speaker 2: About writing code that is clear, well structured, and easy to collaborate on.
Speaker 1: Imagine joining a project where the code is self explanatory. Reading a well written book.
Speaker 2: That's the dream.
Speaker 1: Typescript can help you achieve that level of clarity and maintainability.
Speaker 2: It can.
Speaker 1: It's like having a built in style guide for your code, exact, ensuring consistency and making it a joy to work with, a big difference both for yourself and your collaborators.
Speaker 2: And then there's Webpack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, web with its.
Speaker 2: Bundling and optimization powers.
Speaker 1: How can that enhance my development workflow?
Speaker 2: Imagine a world where you can focus on writing clean, modular code without worrying about the complexities of browser compatibility.
Speaker 1: That would be nice.
Speaker 2: Or performance optimization. Yeah, Webpack handles all that behind the scenes, so I can just focus on the code, ensuring your application loads quickly and run smoothly on any device.
Speaker 1: It's like having a dedicated team of performance engineers working tirelessly to make my application the best it can be.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy.
Speaker 1: And finally, let's talk about Docker.
Speaker 2: Docer is all about empowering you to build ship and run applications with greater confidence and ease. Okay, imagine deploying your application to any server, cloud provider, or even your own personal computer with just a few simple.
Speaker 1: Commands and no compatibility nightmares.
Speaker 2: No compatibility nightmares.
Speaker 1: Or server configuration headaches exactly.
Speaker 2: Docker makes deployment agrees, allowing you to focus on building amazing experiences.
Speaker 1: It's like having a universal translator for your application. I love it, allowing it to run seamlessly in any environment.
Speaker 2: That's the power of Docker.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of ground in this deep dive. We have from the fundamentals of full stack development to the practical applications of these powerful technologies.
Speaker 2: Lots of great information.
Speaker 1: We've seen how these tools can work together, how they can be combined in creative ways to solve real world problems. It's all about being creative and how they can empower you to bring your own ideas to life.
Speaker 2: That's what I love about technology.
Speaker 1: But the journey doesn't end here, No, it doesn't. It's just the beginning.
Speaker 2: This is just the start.
Speaker 1: The world of web development is constantly evolving, with new technologies and approaches emerging all the time.
Speaker 2: It's an exciting time to be a.
Speaker 1: Developer, So stay curious, keep experimenting, and never stop learning. I agree, embrace the challenge of building amazing things.
Speaker 2: He's so rewarding, and who.
Speaker 1: Knows, maybe someday you'll be the one sharing your own insights and inspiring others on the deep Dive. I would love that we'll be back after a short break to wrap up this deep dive and leave you with some final thoughts and challenges to bonder.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Until then, keep those creative gears turning.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the deep Dive. We've explored a whole constellation of technologies.
Speaker 1: It has been quite a journey.
Speaker 2: No JS, React, typescript, webpack, Docker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've covered a.
Speaker 2: Lot, each with its own unique strengths and quirks.
Speaker 1: That's what makes it so interesting, right.
Speaker 2: But technology is just a tool it is.
Speaker 1: It's a means to an end.
Speaker 2: What truly matters is what you do with it.
Speaker 1: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: Think of these technologies as ingredients in a recipe.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 2: You can have the finest flower, the richest chocolate, the most exoting spices. Yeah, but it's the chef who combines them in a creative way to produce a delicious and memorable experience.
Speaker 1: So we need to be the chef exactly.
Speaker 2: How do you see yourself stepping into the role of that chef?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. How do these technologies fit into your own aspirations and projects?
Speaker 2: Well, let's start with no JS. Imagine building a real time chat application, like a messaging app that can handle thousands of simultaneous conversations.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's a lot of chats.
Speaker 2: Or a command line tool that automates tedious tasks and frees up your time for more creative endeavors.
Speaker 1: Yea would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Those are just a couple of possibilities that no JS unlocks.
Speaker 1: What about React.
Speaker 2: Reacts Component based architecture is perfect for building user interfaces, okay. Imagine designing interactive dashboards.
Speaker 1: To visualize complex data.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or building engaging e commerce.
Speaker 1: Platforms that streamline the shopping experience right, or.
Speaker 2: Crafting captivating single page applications that feel smooth and responsive.
Speaker 1: React can do all that.
Speaker 2: It's a very versatile tool.
Speaker 1: Now, let's not forget about typescript.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, typescript.
Speaker 1: It's not just about catching errors, No.
Speaker 2: It's about writing code that is clear. Okay, Well, structured and easy to collaborate on.
Speaker 1: That's so important when working on a team. It is.
Speaker 2: Imagine joining a project where the code is self explanatory, like reading a well written book.
Speaker 1: That would make things so much easier.
Speaker 2: Typescript can help you achieve that level of clarity and maintainability.
Speaker 1: It's like having a built in style guide for your.
Speaker 2: Code exactly, ensuring consistency.
Speaker 1: And making it a joy to work with.
Speaker 2: For yourself and your collaborators.
Speaker 1: Now, what about Webpack.
Speaker 2: Webpack is all about bundling and optimization, so.
Speaker 1: How can that enhance my development workflow?
Speaker 2: Imagine a world where you can focus on writing clean, modular code It's dream right, without worrying about browser compatibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could be a headache.
Speaker 2: Or performance optimization.
Speaker 1: I'd rather not have to think about that.
Speaker 2: Webpack handles all that behind the scenes, so.
Speaker 1: It takes care of all the tricky stuff en sharing.
Speaker 2: Your application loads quickly and runs smoothly on any device.
Speaker 1: It's like having a dedicated team of performance engineers working tirelessly to make my application the best it can be.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: And finally, let's talk about Docker.
Speaker 2: Docker is all about empowering you to build, ship and run applications with greater confidence and ease.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready for this.
Speaker 2: Imagine deploying your application to any server, cloud provider right or even your own personal computer.
Speaker 1: With just a few simple commands exactly.
Speaker 2: No more compatibility nightmares.
Speaker 1: That's a huge relief.
Speaker 2: No more server configuration headaches.
Speaker 1: It sounds almost too good to be true.
Speaker 2: Docer makes deployment a breeze, allowing you to focus on building amazing experiences.
Speaker 1: It's like having a universal translator for your application.
Speaker 2: Yes, allowing it to run seamlessly in any environment.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of ground in this deep dive, from the fundamentals of full stack development to the practical applications of these powerful technologies we have.
Speaker 2: It's been a whirlwind tour.
Speaker 1: We've seen how these tools can work together, and how they.
Speaker 2: Can be combined in creative ways to solve real world problems.
Speaker 1: And most importantly, how they can empower you to bring your own ideas to life.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: But the journey doesn't end here.
Speaker 2: This is just the beginning.
Speaker 1: The world of web development is constantly evolving, with new technologies and approaches emerging all the time.
Speaker 2: So stay curious, keep experimenting, and never stop learning great advice, Embrace the challenge of building amazing things, and who knows, maybe someday you'll be the one sharing your own insights and inspiring others on the deep dive.
Speaker 1: That's a fantastic thought. Thanks for joining us on this deep dive into the world of modern full stack development.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Keep exploring, keep building, and keep diving deeper.
Speaker 2: I will, and I hope our listeners will too.
Speaker 1: Until next time,