Speaker 1: Right quiet, Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason.
Speaker 2: Tradition, Scam is back.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: This is Sax and Cakes in.
Speaker 4: The A app Back Forward Proway.
Speaker 1: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seventy LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 2: It's Sax and Kate's and am Honty Glorious Monday morning, October twenty first, twenty twenty four, Live in Love Bonny and five seventy l Sports. Gats Who's going back to the World Series? Yeah, your Los Angeles Dodgers, Tim Kate, Steve Saxon, you on this Monday Morning Saxon. They did it for the fourth time in eight years. They're going back to the Fall Classic. Good morning, Good morning, Tim.
Speaker 3: This is it. You know you usually give me a different intro, but I'll take this one. All right. Well, well that's okay, don't worry about it. I know you're excited. Hey, this is unbelievable, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get right to it. But he is a two time World Series champion, he is a Rookie of the Year, and he is the best damn number three he ever seen put on a Dodger uniform. He is the one and only Steve Sacks Saxon good morning.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey buddy, I just don't want to upset our mojo. You know we got something going now. You got you got Behemoth against the Bohemoths. Right now, You've got to East versus West, MVP versus the MVP. This is this is classic. This is gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I keep reading. This is the matchup that everybody wanted. This is the matchup that baseball is built on. This is the match that we've been talking about for months. It's MVP versus MVP. It's New York versus LA. It's these two franchises that have met now are gonna meet for the twelfth time ever. This is a meeting of franchises that go back way back to their history in New York together forty one World Series appearances by the Yankees, now twenty two by the Dodgers. But what's crazy to me is everybody keeps hyping up the Dodgers and Yankees and oh, it's oh the Dodgers, What are you gonna have to do to beat the Yankees? What are you gonna have to do to beat the Yankees? It's like, wait, the Dodgers have been here for the last eight years. This is a Yankees franchise that hasn't been in the World Series since two thousand and nine. What are we talking about? What do you feel like meeting up with the Yankees? It should be reversed. Hey, Yankees, what do you feel like meet up against the big bad Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what I'm hearing. That's you should see the text messages I get from my friends New York. It's like they think that it's gonna be an unbelievable matchup. They're a little bit timid when it when it comes to facing the Dodge and you know all the talk too about well the Dodgers don't have this starting pitching and they can't cobble together that bullpen enough. First of all, they haven't seen the bullpen the Dodgers have. I guess they don't know much about it. Uh, that's one of thing. Even even you got some guys in the bullpen that are down, I mean, you didn't have Vesia, which would have been a good weapon on the left side. He wasn't there. He might be ready for the World Series though, and you know you're gonna have arrested Freddy Freeman. Now, you know what I was just thinking about this. Maybe with all the technology of today, with AI and all the great things that they can do, the the myriad of businesses down in the Southland, why can't they put together like a like a Freddie Freeman, you know, body part, you know thing and put together. Put an ankle together in a Petri dish, you know, let that thing cook for a little bit. Get the get the ankle good, Get him into surgery, you know, at the best clinic they can find and reinstate a like a new ankle. And then by then, with with the sports technology and whatever, he should be all ready to go with the brand new ankle. I mean, they could almost do it with elbows. Now, why can't they do it with a simple ankle.
Speaker 2: I mean, Luke Skywalker got a brand new hand in Star Wars after it was cut off and the Empire strikes back. Can we get a new foot for Freddie Freeman?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, I mean, I wish they would publish a picture of Freddy's ankle, just to see what the hell is going on with this thing, so we could kind of, you know, see the thing in our own you know, with our own eyes. And I don't know how what's what's going on with that thing? But this is a like a mystery sprain I guess, right, isn't it crazy?
Speaker 2: By the time we get to Game one on Friday night, it's gonna be a month since he sprained that ankle against the San Diego Padres on that final regular season home game that Thursday night, in which the Dodgers would clinch the nl West title that night, and he sprained the ankles. Yeah, didn't play in Colorado, gingerly played through the nl DS, finally got through the NLCS until the end, and didn't play last night. What's crazy is they've continued to produce offensively without Freddie Freeman the line, and they put a ten spot up on the board last night and Freddie spent the entire game looking out in the game on the railing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the great thing about it is you don't hear Freddy's not that you don't miss him, I know, not that you don't want him. The Dodgers are better with him in the lineup, but the fact that you can cover with the great depth that the team has. And that's saying something that's like an umpire when he's out there and you don't even know he's there, you don't even hear his name or anything. That's when a guy's doing a great job. Same thing here, when you don't have to bring up you know, all the maladies are on the team, which you know for most teams they would just be down and out. I mean, look at the pitching staff start there. You got a whole laundry list of guys are out, and then you got your superstar first baseman that's out, and they still cover. They're still up there and they're going to the World Series. It's amazing what they've done. And all the talk, please, I don't please, all the talk about Dave Robert. Can we not hear that anymore? I mean, has he finally silenced the groups. Now the talking heads about well it's got to be his fault. Well what about now?
Speaker 2: Well it's funny you say that because they couldn't silence some last night postgame. Here he is in the clubhouse, celebrating with the toes for the team.
Speaker 3: Everybody steps up ready when called upon.
Speaker 6: Like I said before, I've never been.
Speaker 7: Around a group of guys who I love.
Speaker 3: Or care about more.
Speaker 7: Four more wins work to be done. Let's go for it.
Speaker 2: There's Dave Roberts popping the champagne saxy last night. He was like a kid on Christmas Day, running around on the field, hugging anybody and everybody. You heard him at the podium with Tom Verducci when they gave away the National League trophy to Mark Walter and the ownership. I mean you couldn't get the microphone away from him. He was so excited to talk to the fans, to talk about his team and to really just celebrate this, even in the clubhouse, at the podium, everywhere. He was win with our own David Vaz say, you couldn't stop him from gleaming about his team and how excited he was for that and everybody.
Speaker 3: Reads it as how genuine it is, and it is genuine, and that's what people like about Dave. He made all the right calls, brilliant as far as working the bullpen, and you know, he's just gonna silence the critics now, even though you know he has very little to do with the you know, the nuts and bolts of when that's what the players do. But he made all the right calls from the dugout and that's what he does. That's his job. And hey, the Dodgers are are well suited right now. They're gonna be rested and this is going to be a battle. Do you want to know what I think about where this is going? Do you want to wait?
Speaker 2: Let's wait. Let's wait, because we got a lot of time between now in Game one of this World Series when they starts on Friday night out of Dodgers Stadium. But you said no, you know everybody he pushed the right buttons.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna go back to Friday night at City Field in New York and I did the postgame show and people were up set about the fact that Dodgers did not close it out in five games and really upset about the way the bullpen was not used early on when Jack Flaherty got into trouble and the Dodgers were down three to one and then down five to one, and then it was an eight to one game, and they had this gigantic hole to get out, a lot of Dodger fans felt me, included like they gave you, gave up and threw the white flag up and said, all right, we're just gonna get ready for Game six on Sunday night. We're gonna save our high leverage relievers and we're not gonna try to squash us at three to one or five to one and make it a game. So I gotta confess I was somebody who was critical of Dave Roberts on Friday night. Dodger fans, don't hide, don't hide out there. And if you, if you're listening, I know because you called in. You sent me the angry tweets. I saw it. People were not happy with Dave Roberts after Game six. But it's funny how forty eight hours later he pushes all the right buttons in the bullpen game.
Speaker 3: Look here here's the thing, Dave, I mean, damn talking about David Vassa Timmy, here's the thing. You have to cover innings. There's no there's those aren't going away. You've got to find somebody to cover innings. Let's say, for example, they bring in land and back again and he gets you know, he gives it up. Then what are people gonna say? Wow, you know you had to cover it anyway. Why don't you just leave it in there? Let him wear it. You know you would have heard that. And they're always right at twenty twenty vision, right or back. You know, when you hindsight, that's the twenty twenty vision. Let's you know, it's not gonna be perfect, there's gonna be times worthy. You gotta give the other teams some credit sometime. I mean, these guys are there for a reason. And weren't the Mets tough? That was a tough ball club. They weren't as they were not as good as the Dodgers on paper. I mean, you look at the team, they're not nearly as good as the Dodgers. But they were tough, man. They had a lot of fight in them. And look how they ended the end of the thing. They got how many hits in a row. They weren't going away easy man. They're not that type of a team. Got to give them a lot of credit. You know, they should have been stomped down. The Dodgers did what they had to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a Mets team that wouldn't go away, even into the ninth inning last night. They led the major leagues during the regular season with forty five come from behind wins, and last night they had the Dodgers. I felt on the ropes early. They had a lot of traffic on the baits pats. They left the bases loaded, They had runners on base in the first and second. Last night, the New York Mets was stranded thirteen base runners. They were two for nine with runners in scoring position, including Starly Marte, who was zero for two last night. He came up it seemed like a couple of times with runners on base and had a chance to give the Mets e to the lead or get back into the game, and he just couldn't do it. But the Dodgers pushing all the right buttons. Dave Roberts. Last night a bullpen game, Michael Kopek got to start, and I was really nervous. People are with last night watching the game were furious and the fact that Kopek was out there through twenty five pitches, gave up a run, walked to bought. Ben Casparius comes in, and then it was just arm after arm, bond of Brazier, Phillips, Hudson trying, and who pitched two winnings of relief, struck out four to get the win. But Dave Roberts was a man on cloud nine last night after the game. Here he is with our own David Vasse on the field.
Speaker 8: The winningest manager in modern baseball history. How does this one field?
Speaker 1: Dave?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, it feels so good.
Speaker 1: Dave.
Speaker 7: I'm just so happy that we finally did it at home. Yeah, and we can celebrate with our fans.
Speaker 8: How did you navigate this game tonight? It wasn't as much of a blowout as the others.
Speaker 7: Now, you know what, I gotta give Cretch all these guys, you know, all these pitchers were ready when called upon. Obviously, Tommy had a big hit, will Smith big hit. So the players showed out tonight. And again, David, I'm just so happy for our players and our fans.
Speaker 8: Dave, this feels like a one through thirty something type of win.
Speaker 7: It does, it does, and I'll tell you right now, Dave. It's an organization win from you know, we get young players, the scouted player development, by way of trade. You know, everyone is just a whole organization. I could couldn't be more excited for everyone.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmond kind of went under the radar.
Speaker 7: How big was he for you in this series? Oh my god, he's been so huge for us to be able to play shortstop, to be able to play center field. You know he does it only it gets huge. Hit Mamuka, I love you, baby, I love you baby.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for eing.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm.
Speaker 7: Play.
Speaker 2: Four more to go, It's four more to go.
Speaker 8: There he is Mookie Betts with Dave Roberts. You got the love from your players, Dave. I'll let you enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Thank you next, Dave.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts nine straight postseason appearances as Dodger manager, eight divisional titles now count them, four National League pennags as the Dodgers are going back to the World Series and he's already got one World Series title as a manager back in twenty twenty. How I mean, he's the most winniest active manager in baseball. And yes, he has had a lot of talent on his teams. The way he has managed this talent. You hear the love from Mookie Betts right there, the players listen up to him. He hasn't lost the clubhouts in now nine seasons, which you know baseball, that's an eternity. Now we've seen the turnover managers and there's nobody that's got longevity anymore as far as managers are concerned, or head coaching, and in sports, it's churn and burn and get these guys out as fast as can as you can unless you don't win. And he's gone a nine straight postseason. Hard to argue with the success that Dave Robbers has and dare I say a future Hall of Fame manager winner losing this World series four World Series of appearances in nine years, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A couple things. First of all, you know, if you want to see what a good movie looks is like you hear everybody talk about this particular movie that's out. Just ask the first ten people to come out of the premiere and they can tell you we lead their faces and hear what they say. That's your best barometer about what that movie is going to be. Like, I feel you're gonna get an honest read. You know, ask the players what they think about Dave the same thing. They're going to give you an honest read. And you can hear it in their voice. You can hear it, you know, when they're having these side conversations right there with Mookie Betts. It's a real deal. They love and respect this guy, and that's why they get the most out of them. I think it's at times a lot harder to manage team with such great talent, with such great expectations, constantly raising the bar of expectancy for the team. And that's sometimes, in my estimation, much harder to get the most out of your club when you've got so much expected of you. And yet he does it. I mean, people say, man, I'd love to have that team. I could manage that team easy, Oh really could you? There's it goes a lot deeper that, especially when you're talking about the interpersonal skills of the manager siding up with the players, that drawing the line between being their manager and being their friend. There's a line there that you have to you know, kind of, you know, appreciate. But they get the most out of this this team through Dave robertson his coach and staff. They do a great job the.
Speaker 2: Way he's able to massage the egos, so to speak, and all these superstars have it to some extent, and he's able to always constantly have that clubhouse and they have his back because you know, you can go through a slump, maybe you drop six or seven or things aren't going right. All it takes is one guy in a clubhouse, yes, to start saying stump sax, and next thing you know, it just festers and gother guys start believing like, yeah, yeah, it's not our fault. Now, Dave Roberts isn't putting this in the right situation. You're not using me right. You know, I'm not getting enough playing time. That's all it takes is one guy to start festering that right. And for the last nine years, I swear I can tell you I can't remember a time in which you heard one player before, during, or after a stint on a Dave Roberts matched team complain about him and say, you know what, my time in La stunk.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts was a terrible man. You never you never hear that. You know why you won't hear it? Because the players won't allow it. It doesn't even get to the managerial level. The players won't allow that. It doesn't even get there. The players will take care of that. And you know, it's kind of like you know, being out in society. You know, the players will take care of it. Right. It doesn't even have to get to the top. And that's that's for sure. They will silence that. They will they will if that is the case. Well, first of all, those guys are vetted out before they get there, truey point, they don't even get to that point. But that won't even get to the top level. Because if it starts to get like that, that guy will be out. He'll be out quicker than you can imagine. And so that's the great thing about a clubhouse. That is a sanctuary in there, and those guys are not gonna let anybody spoil that.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 2: Steve Saxon, Tim Kates in Saxon, Kates and The Am on this Monday and morning, a victory Monday here in Southern California, is celebrating yet another trip to the World Series for your Los Angeles Dodgers eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy We got a lot of time this week to get into this series. We got a lot of days to break down this matchup, look at rotations, bullpens, starting players, role players, how these two teams stack up. We're gonna get into it all week leading up to Game one on Monday night or Friday night. But today is a day to celebrate the Dodgers winning the National League Pennant a ten to five victory over the New York Mets last night in Game six of the NLCS. Coming up, you're gonna hear from Key k hern Nandez. You're gonna hear from one of the members of the Dogs, Blake trying. That's what they're calling themselves down the bullpen. Love it, David vass say, we'll check in with us coming up at eight o'clock. An absolutely unreal interview last night David Vasse, Brent Honeywell Junior, and Max Munsey. You're gonna want to hear it if you have it. Freddie Freeman will hear from next hour how his ankle's feeling coming up. Your phone calls, and Tommy Edmond, the MVP of the NLCS, comes out of nowhere to help out this Dodgers team that's all coming up. Join us at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy, Steve Sacks, Tim Kats, and you as the Dodgers are going to the World Series yet again. Right here in anti seventy light sports.
Speaker 9: Ao takes a small lead another one to two pitch. Edmond swings. It's a high fly.
Speaker 2: Ball left field and deep Mimo is back on the warning track.
Speaker 3: Bet the wall.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund sends Dodgers Stadium into a frenzy hey two strike, two run home run. He has driven in all four runs so far. In Game six, the Dodgers lead for to one, Tommy Edmund two for five to run home run drives in four Your National League Championship Series MVP, as the Dodgers beat the New York Mets in six games with a ten to five win last night out at Dodgers Stadium, Tim Kates, Steve Sacks. It's Sax and Kate's in the am here on this Monday morning, after the Dodgers clinched their fourth World Series bid in the last eight years. They've got superstars up and down this lineup. Freddie Freeman watching for the dugout last night. The seven hundred million dollar man in show Hey O Tani, Mookie Betts, who can do it all. And it's Tommy Edmund last night who delivers for the Dodgers early. And it's Tommy Edmond in this series Saxy who delivered for him with eleven RBI tying a franchise, Wreckerd with Corey Seeger unbelievable. The guys that rise to the occasion in October. You never know who it's gonna be. Will it be a superstar, will it be a role player or is it a guy like Tommy Edmond who they acquire at the trade deadline. He's hurt, He joins his Dodgers team. They bat him throughout the lineup, different spots. He plays three different positions and here he is the NLCS MVP. It's pretty cool story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this this is the well roundedness of the team, you know, showing itself. We all know about the power, we know about the arms down in the bullpen, especially when the starters are healthy. And you got a laundry list of guys that can just throw the ball one hundred miles an hour, And then you got Tommy Edmund. You know, he can do everything. He's one of those guys at oh, launch angles. We don't talk about that with Tommy Edman.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 3: We don't talk about exit velocity with Tommy Edman.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 3: We don't talk about ground speed with Tommy Edmond.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 3: We don't talk about how hard he throws the ball across the diamond. We don't talk about any of those things. All we talk about is, you know, he's the MVP of the series. That's what because he's a baseball player. He's a really good player. He's fundamentally sound. He's a great athlete. Whether he hits the ball out of the park or not. Oh, by the way, he can do that too. As you saw that. He is a well rounded ball player. And you know what hitting from both sides of the plate to making the plays in the field, to taking the extra base, hitting the ball out of the park. You know, you don't talk about all these you know, saber metric numbers, but boy, he can play. And everybody in that locker room would tell you that too. He is a smart player too. And there's no coincidence that he's the son of a baseball coach and he's a guy who went to Stanford himself, played three seasons of college baseball at Stanford, six round pick of the Saint Louis Cardinals in twenty sixteen, makes his debut in twenty nineteen. In twenty twenty one, wins a Gold Glove with the Cardinals at second base. Yes, he plays multiple positions. He was the best defensive second baseman stat wise in the National League in twenty twenty one. In October a year ago, literally a year ago, he's having risk surgery that caused him to miss the first half of this season. Then he tweaks his ankle in a rehab game coming back from the wrist injury. He's hurt, and the Dodgers still acquire him in that three team deal with the Cardinals in the White Sox right before the trade deadline. They acquire when he's hurt and on the il doesn't matter. They wait for him to get healthy, and ever since then he's been fantastic playing shortstop, playing the center field spot, and last night he wins the NLCS MVP with a four to ZHO seven batting average, four extra base its, eleven RBIs in six games and saxy. Here he is after the game for a few minutes talking to the media.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tommy you tied Corey Seekers record for NLCS RBIs by a Dodger. Did did they tell you when they traded for you that this was your role on the team, being the MVP of the NLCS.
Speaker 9: No, they did.
Speaker 10: They did not inform me that, nor did they inform me I was gonna be hitting clean up. So but yeah, no, it's it's pretty crazy, especially with the history of the organization, to have tie that record. I had no idea about it until I guess after the game, But you know, it's a huge part of that was just you know, testament to the guys on the team. We had really good at bats throughout the series. Our whole lineup was really good. We had any number of guys who could have won MVP. But you know, I just kept getting up with guys on base and I had a lot of opportunities to drive runs.
Speaker 11: In Tommy, Like when the postseason started, there was you know, majority of the role was you know, moving you around in the field wherever you were needed. And you last forward to today and now you mentioned your batting fourth and clean up. Be able to stay on the course and make sure that you're able to deliver when those opportunities are arising for you and not just falter when you know, you get moved up to clean up and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I didn't really think too much about the spot in the lineup. I was hitting just you know, more just situational. You know, if there's guys on base, just try to put something in play and have a chance to drive guys in. So I don't know if the spot in the lineup necessarily means that much to me, But yeah, I mean kind of like you're saying, I didn't really know what my role was when I got traded here, and then postseason moving around a little bit, and I feel like I've kind of just done a good job of adjusting to whatever is required to me at the an any given situation.
Speaker 12: So, Tommy, quick question for you. When you come over to a team like the Dodgers in the middle of the season, I mean, there's just so much upheaval for you personally. How how do you get comfortable with the team with the move the West coast? How did the team make you feel comfortable? How did that all work out to end up where you are tonight?
Speaker 10: Well, the West, the move to the west, this is actually a move home cause I'm from San Diego, so that was definitely made things a little bit easier for my wife and wife and son to be closer to their family. And the other part too, is just organization did such a great job of welcoming me and making sure I kind of had everything I needed because I was injured when I got traded, so just making sure I was going through all the rehab stuff that I needed to and really just being really diligent about, you know, the work that I needed to put in order to get ready to play every day again. So yeah, huge credit goes to the staff and then my teammates as well for welcoming me and you know, making me feel like part of the team from day one.
Speaker 3: Tell me, when we were.
Speaker 13: In New York, especially after Game four, you kept saying, I've never been to the World Series where one win away, it would be really cool. Now that you are in the World Series and it's for any baseball fan against the Yankees a dream matchup. Just what are you feeling and your thoughts on the whole matchup going into the Yankee Series.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's what you always dream about as a as a little kid, you know, getting to play in the World series and playing for the Dodgers against the Yankees. I mean, it's pretty surreal, you know. And yeah, I'm just excited to, you know, get to play those big games. We're enjoying this series. Win tonight. Over this next week or so, we're gonna start repairing against the Yankees. But yeah, it's just dream come true for sure.
Speaker 2: I just keep hearing him talk about the organization welcoming him in Saxon, and again it's a testament to the Dodgers from the top to bottom. Then when a guy comes over mid season and hurt, they still wrap their arms around him. And when he's ready to go and inserted in the lineup like he was, It's not like he came in. It was on the bench and they kind of slowly moved him in and all he got hot and he replaced somebody who got hurt and caught fire. And here he is surprising everybody. No, when they acquired him, they knew as soon as he got healthy he was taking somebody's spot. I mean, he was gonna be out in center field, He's gonna be out in shorttop. He was gonna be in the lineup every day, and that can't sit well with some guys who are already there and maybe putting in the work and wondering he brought somebody in can take by spot. But to the credit to the Dodgers and again Dave Roberts as the leader, welcoming to Kopek and Flaherty and Tommy Edmond, who's taking somebody's spot. And there's not even a skip of the beat there.
Speaker 3: No, and that's expected and the team, the guys on the team know that when you bring somebody on, it's for the betterment of the team. And they know there's not going to be any of those personalities that get in get in the way. Just thirty seven games this year with the Dodgers, because of the injury and whatnot, but nonetheless impact was made. He expanded this team. He made this team better both defensively and offensively. He gave him another outlet. You know, you have a guy that goes down, Rojas goes down bang here. You got a guy that you can just plug and play and you don't lose a beat with him. The great thing is that that when you do this and put another guy in for a guy that's been there for a while, lots of times you'll suffer on the defensive side of it. You know, guys usually bring what they do with the bat, but sometimes you got to get in sync with everybody that's playing around to you. And that's why continuity as far as personnel is concerned, is extremely important. But you didn't lose a beat with this guy, and especially somebody that isn't just in tune to one position. Like you know, he wins the Gold Glove at second base, it doesn't matter. He can go to shortstop, as he put that on display. He can do it in the outfield as well, and you don't suffer anything defensively. And that communication between players on the defensive side is huge. It's paramount into having those wheels nice and greased when you go out there, and that's what he brings.
Speaker 2: Now, you left the Dodgers, you went to the Yankees as a free agent. It wasn't if via trade mid season, but I just kep thinking about a guy like Tommy Edmond and getting a fresh start, and for a player that's on a losing team, and that's where a lot of guys come from when they get traded from one team to a contender, is you're not going anywhere with the team you're at, and so they're sending you to a team that's got a shot to win, and they're acquiring you to help you win a championship in Copek. That's what they got from the White Sox helping the bullpen, Jack Flaherty help as a starter. They get Tommy Edmund to help as a guy in the lineup that can play multiple positions. And I just keep thinking about a guy like Tommy m and in the other two. It's the shot in the arm, isn't it to go from a team that's got no shot, right, You're halfway through a season to walk into a clubhouse and the Dodger clubhouse and instantly you have a shot to win a World Series.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And he was playing all the time with the team that wasn't going anywhere. He played in one hundred and thirty seven games with Saint Louis the year before in twenty three, and then he gets injured and he's sitting around. But you know, this is a guy that's gonna play all the time, so that he eats at you. You come over to this team, You're welcome with open arms. They've got to get you through the rehab process. And then you just start lighting it on fire. And here you are, You're the you know, the the MVP of the LCS. So this is a this is an unbelievable thing for him and the Dodgers. How about how they have to feel. Yeah, we took a chance on this guy. He wasn't even healthy. He comes over here and he's the MVP of the series. I mean, that's that is doing it the right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after the words last night, I heard Andrew Freeman kind of making the rounds in the clubouts talking to different media outlets, and when he talked to our own David Vassay, he made the comment that you don't His philosophy is, we don't like making trades at the deadline because usually you don't get what you want for what you're giving up because they know that you need what they have. And he likes to make the trades in the offseason. And I get that, but he even said we needed help and going into the season, they thought of all years twenty twenty four with the depth they saw on their roster and the guys they had in the minor leagues to can fill those voice if injuries happened to any spot on the roster. They felt like they didn't go even're gonna go out and they have to make a trade at the deadline. They were so deep, but because of injuries, they found themselves having to go out and acquire three different types of players, starter, reliever, and position player. And he even said, we hit on all three. And he had this huge, gigantic smile on his face because he knows, he knows it's not easy to go out acquire guys that come in and fit and help your team necessarily, but they found three of those dudes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and a good A great part of that is coming into an organization that that gets it, you know, and an organization that knows it's got to be more than just what you're doing on the field. You got to have that clubhouse in tune. You got to have guys that are gonna welcome you on the team. And again it goes back to you know, what's the situation like when you walk in there. I mean it's open arms and it's you know, a common goal is already instilled in those guys that put that uniform on, and it's not you know, it's not phony stuff, it's not stupid talk. It's real. I mean you ask any any guy on the team, and I've been on teams where it hasn't been like that, and it is a real thing.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the number jump on board if you're getting up and you want to celebrate this. Dodgers and LCS, we want to hear from you, Dodger fans. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Dodger fans were so excited on Friday going into Game five, talking about a World Series matchup, feeling good about the Mets series, and then the Dodgers dropped Game five and the Mets made it a series down three games to two. Forty eight hours later, a bullpenning game last night for the Dodgers didn't get off to a great start. The New York Mets jumped out to the early one nothing lead, getting to Michael Kopek and I'll admit I thought, oh no, here we go again. This is in Game four the NLDS where the bullpen game worked out inning by inning by inning. This was another NLCS bullpen game like Game two where things backfired early. Michael Kopek was brought in. Dave Roberts said, pregame, Saxy, we need to put up a zero in the first inning. We need to have a positive result. So I'm gonna go with my former starter turned into a reliever now dominant reliever in Michael Kopek. And what does he do. He gives up a run. I mean, I wasn't at Dodger Stadium last night, but even I ten miles away can feel the air being sucked out of Dodger Stadium really early last night. But it was Tommy Edmund delivering with that double to score two in the bottom of the first to bring life back to Dodger Stadium. But I mean, you have to admit that first inning a little nervous after the initial Mets score.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is too is my Like I told you, my brother and I when we're watching football on Sundays, we lived like two houses away, and yet I'm in my house and he's in his house, and we're texting each other back and forth on every play about you know, did you see that? What an idiot? You know? I got to tell our listeners that Tim and I kind of do the same thing. From Burbank to Sacramento during the games is like, whoa what is going on here? Sometimes it's a short thirty second phone call, sometimes it's a text, but nonetheless, yeah, we kind of run the gamut as far as that goes. But you know, the thing is is we feel it. You know, we can tell, we can feel what's going on. Man, he's not coming here the strike zone, what is it? Make an adjustment? Come on, what's going on? Cobeck didn't look good at the first We microanalyze every damn bitch is going on, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: He didn't look good though. He was missing on every pitch he threw. He was walking guys left and right, and then he didn't get a help when the little you know, Chopper to Chris Taylor, he bare hands it and Max Munsey, who's not six ' five like Freddie Freeman, couldn't make the stretch and the ball goes off the first base railing.
Speaker 3: There play tough play on both sides.
Speaker 2: Tough play, but you're thinking, oh my gosh, no defense, and Kopek's throwing a lot of pitches.
Speaker 3: No, it's it. It's not that. It's not only that, but he's throwing pitches like I thought, we're gonna hit the kind of we're gonna go to the upper deck, right, you know what I mean, A couple of those. I mean, I can only imagine what people said when I was throwing at first base.
Speaker 9: What an idiot?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 3: So I had a a little bit of a little bit of a you know, give him a break, a little bit attitude for my copeck I get it, you know what I mean. He's not trying to do it, you know, but we're like going just hey, it seems like sometimes you want to tell uh, you know, washing it from this from this vantage point. You want to say, look, take get off the mound, take a deep breath, and just kind of recenter. Okay, you know you got to figure Okay, I've thrown four pitches that oh just went over the backstop. Okay, I gotta take a little bit of a you know, of a correction here. Maybe throw one at the knees this time or something. You know. So I get into that stuff too, But I've seen the other side of it, and it's like, fan, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I mean, you know, so I get it.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine the adrenaline and nerves that were going through Michael Kolpak last night. So that's why I mean, I don't fault him.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: You can see it. He sweats a lot, even when he's out there pitching in the eighth inning of a game in the middle of the season. He's just a sweater. But to see him out there, to see him sweating away, I can tell by his face. You know, they had to go out and talk to him, will.
Speaker 3: Say what I love about Kopek. You know what I love about him. I'll take that dude anytime. You know why, because I'll take a guy that you have to ratchet it back a little bit and say, Okay, I need to pull him back a little bit. Maybe, But man, his stuff is electric and when he's on, forget it, he can wipe anybody out. And you know what I like about him. He's ballsy. You know he'll get that hundred plus and say here it is, I'm gonna by the way, it's coming right now, and we'll see if you can hit it. I love that about this guy. Here's why he can playing my team any day.
Speaker 2: Pedro Monrovia start things off on this Monday morning, as we celebrate another trip to the World Series for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Hi Pedro, well up, Kate Sexy. I love you guys.
Speaker 4: Your show is awesome. Thank you guys for doing Pedro. Four more wins, maybe four more wins against these Yankees, and we're gonna this is gonna be exciting. Last night, it was started up a little shaky, but they made it. They made it fun at the end, and we got to relax a little bit when they got those extra runs. But man, what a game.
Speaker 3: Yep, what a game it was.
Speaker 4: And wait till Friday. Man, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Friday is gonna be going off at Dodgers Stadium. As much as the Dodgers pulled away last night in the third after the will Smith home run, part of that, you know, Tommy Edmund will Smith home runs of the third inning, they go up six to one. I still didn't feel good. I still didn't feel like this one's over.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you still think you need a little one more push. Yeah, you knew the Mets were going to go away. And as soon as they reminded us on TV that they led the Majors with forty five comfort behind the winds. Were you sweating like Copex? Yes, I was on that one.
Speaker 2: I was Kopeck dripping last night watching the you know, from the fourth inning on and the Vientels hits the home run and cuts it in half. That's a six to three game and it's only the fourth inning, and I'm looking at the Dodgers' bullpen and who they've used and who's down there. They had no more lefties to go to because only Bonda is the only left to they can go to. They're using Braziers giving up the home run Copex already in the in the dugout. There wasn't a lot of high leverage arms down there. Yeah, that I was really feeling great about. I mean, they weren't going to go to land in nac They already went to Ben Casparrius. It's like, looking at the final four innings, it was going to be Phillips Hudson and trying him. Those three guys were gonna have to cover four innings somehow, some way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, first of all, they've got some filthy stuff down there, And that's a great compliment Blake trying and I still don't know how he makes that ball move like that. I mean, everything is sharp and nothing is ever repeated it. You know, it moves a little bit different on that pitch. I mean he throws a sinker into the right hander. That's like a bowling ball that's going ninety seven with hard tilt down and into the right hander. Good luck with anybody that's a right hand hitter that wants to hit that thing. Okay, that's what you got to throw Aaron Judge. That's the pitch that you got to throw Stanton and challenge him with that, you know what I mean. And that stuff is filthy. Now. My question to you, Tim was, when you're watching these games in the Burbank mansion that you live in, is is it you know, you're sitting, are you standing up? Are you kind of going from kitchen to you know, is it an open setting where you're going from kitchen to the TV and gobbling everything up that missus Kates can throw at you? Well, what's what's the kind of the layout?
Speaker 2: I stand? I cannot sit. I stand and I'm doing the same thing. I give running commentary to the to the point where some people, my family, you know, just get up and walk out because you know they're trying to watch the game, and I'm giving my own commentary on top of what's already being talked about on TV and radio. So we have the radio going, the TV going, me going, so it's like three different broadcasts of the kids be around.
Speaker 3: When you're watching her, you got to up the out of the room.
Speaker 2: The two of the girls are home from college this weekend, so they were all home and they were glad to be home, but like the fourth fifth inning last.
Speaker 3: Night, they don't want to go to their room.
Speaker 2: One of wholes on their phone went to the other room and it was just like, yeah, I don't want to be around this anymore.
Speaker 3: I get that. Yeah. So yeah, my daughter was with me and we we always do family dinner on Sunday night time every Sunday, and so, you know, her husband have the family over and they're watching the game and my grandson's right next to me and he's like, Poppy, you know what's going He said, Mom, what's wrong with Poppy? You know, he's kind of going nuts? And I said, Ethan, don't listen to that, you know, but but yeah, that's the way it is. So but you get into it, man, you know, it's part of what you're doing right.
Speaker 2: I get to it. I get too much into it. Yeah, that's that's my problem. And it's it's even worse during the that's not worst in the regular season, but it's just as bad during the regular season. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. It's Sax and Kate's in the am. They did it. The Dodgers are going back to another World Series, their fourth trip to the Fall Classic in the last eight years. We've got one line open, jump on it. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We're here to react, celebrate, and get ready for a World Series matchup against the New York Yankees. Plenty of time to break down the matchup. We're celebrating the win last night with you. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Coming up, we'll hear from Key k hern Nanz. We'll hear from Blake trinon the bullpen calling themselves to dogs. Freddy Freeman will hear from next hour, David vas Say will join us in the final hour, and at eight o'clock, Max Munsey, Brent Honeywell Junior, and one of the greatest interviews you're ever gonna hear that's all coming up. It's Sax and Kate to the am right here on your Home of the Dodgers A FI seventy ice Sports. The city is a buzzin' as the Dodgers aren't making yet another World Series run. Thanks for being with us here on your home of showy Otani and the Dodgers A five to seventy LA Sports live in local Saxon Kates in the Am as the Dodgers beat the New York Mets in six games of the NLCS last night out of Dodgers Stadium. Now they get ready for Game one of the Dodgers and Yankees World Series matchup. First pitch on Friday is at five o'clock, and we'll have all the action for you, pre posts and everything in between and everything leading up to it right here on scam is. We're with you six am to nine am all week long, so lots of time to preview this series. We'll go back to nineteen eighty one and the last time these two teams met up. I feel old. I don't feel feel old saxy, but I feel old when I hear the last time the Dodgers and Yankees met was nineteen eighty one, forty three years ago. I was alive.
Speaker 3: I was young then, but I was playing, but I was young. You know, it's crazy how long it's been since this. I mean, you're talking about half a century, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Wow, what's your initial memory, your initial thought that you go to when you hear Dodgers Yankees. This is the first time since nineteen eighty one and you're on that team. What's your first thought, what's your first memory when you hear this. That's the first time they're playing each other since then.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was really cold. I remember that in New York. I'm not playing. Davy Lopes had a thing go wrong with his glove or his eye or something when he had a ball that he booted, and I was almost in the game. They said, Sachs, are you ready? And I was like, hell yeah, And I go out there and Davy lips like, no, I'm okay. So I had to sit back down. But I did get in the first two games. I got to pinch hit against Gidrey Nice and I flew out to center field, and then I got to pinch run the next game and that was it. But I got to watch everything from really close to the field because I was on the bench and it was it was fantastic. I just got to be around it. We're down two games and then we went four to row to win it all. So that was amazing. Just to be on the team was great.
Speaker 2: Did you think at that point, your rookie year, here you are Dodgers Yankee.
Speaker 3: I wasn't even a rookie. Then I was rookie the next year.
Speaker 2: Yes, technically, Well did you think, and this is how it's going to be forever? Like I'm just I'm now thrown into the mix of the great rivalry Dodgers and Yankees, and it's gonna be like this for the rest of my career.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it was almost an extension of those years way way back when it was always the Dodgers and Yankees, Right, This was kind of like a renewal of that. So, I mean it's something that the fans certainly would expect to see the Dodgers and Yankees, and I didn't know. I mean, I was coming on to a team that always, it seemed, won. It was really a veteran based club that could show you the way. And I was I was there to sponge up everything I could, shut up, don't say anything, work hard, and just be glad you're there. And that's exactly what I did.
Speaker 2: Who was who did you hang out with? There's a young pop in that locker room. Who were you hanging out with? You going up to the grizzled events? Were you going up to the guys who were the starters every day and hanging out with them? Hey, it's me Steve Sack.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no, I wasn't doing any of that. They were playing a lot of jokes on me. But the guys that really treated me great, They treated me like a like a grown up, a grown man. Where you know, it was Garvey and Baker and those guys though, those were amazing dudes. They took me out to dinner, they would show me where to go shopping, they would show me you know we're not to go and all the great things, and they set examples. You know, Garvey and Baker were the two guys that were really fantastic, always stood out for me.
Speaker 2: That is awesome. Eight six, six, ninety seven, two five seventy. Were going to get into more nineteen eighty one flashbacks. We're going to catch up with members of the team from nineteen eighty one. We got a lot to get to this week leading up to Game one on Friday at Dodger Stadium, Oscar in Baldwin Park. Next up on Saxon Kates and am on this one day morning as we celebrate a chance to win another World Series for the Dodgers High Oscar.
Speaker 5: Ah Kay, good morning, gentlemen. It's a beautiful morning, beautiful Monday morning today. Real quick on the Ai'll see has wrapped it up? Those two games they last night. I had had a lot to do with them. I having those early starts. I think the Dodgers are early start team. That's why those are the only two games they lost. And we had an early start. And now for the Yankees Dodgers World Series.
Speaker 14: Never saw Mohammad a Leaf fight. I just the Lake and Suffist of the eighties, and I haven't seen a Dodge Yankee World Series till now. So I'm excited about it, and real quick, not to be too dramatic about it. I think this is a World Series that American needs right now. I need to bring people together with all the diversity that going on the election year and all this stuff, you know, I think American's pastimes is gonna shine at least for the next week or two. So let's open the good World Series and go Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Get the kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oscar appreciated. I don't know if it's gonna bring people together. I feel like it's gonna be now more separation West Coast, East Coast, Dodgers Yankees, old school rivalry, even if you're you're not from either city or you're in the cities in between. I think people are gonna be fired up about this World Series match. I know Baseball certainly is celebrating right now in New York on Madison Avenue, but you know, I think everybody is gonna be watching this series and certainly globally.
Speaker 3: My goodness, No, this is this is a This is a uniter, There's no question about that. You know what's great about it, too, is Isn't it wonderful at this time where everybody can come together forget let's forget about politics. That's what baseball's for. It's it's to get away and to have an escape. I mean, it's the best, and this is gonna bring everybody together. There's no doubt about that. I mean, I don't care if you're for the Yankees on the East Coast and Dodgers on the West coast. I mean, it's gonna still bring people together. It always does. And this this is a great thing. I mean, I love the purity of baseball and just brings out the best in everybody.
Speaker 2: Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy Dodgers going back to the Fall Classic and another meeting with the New York Yankees for the first time since nineteen eighty one, two of the most historic franchises. We'll meet to see who will win a World Series title. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates and you on a morning in which we celebrated NLCS and look ahead to the World Series. Sax and Kates in the am right here, live in Local and your home of the Dodgers A and five seventy LA Sports