Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. You know, if you're online right now listening to this, you're using the cloud. It's everywhere, it really is.
Speaker 2: But it's more than just a buzzword, right, it's this vast shared infrastructure that's kind of invisible.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it has completely rewired global business, global economics. So today we're doing a deep dive into cloud computing fundamentals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our goal here is to give you a really solid, structured understanding. We want to get past the jargon and look at the architecture, the models, the tech that makes while modern digital life possible.
Speaker 1: We'll hit the why, the how, and the what the strategic disruptions.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the why because it's a classic story really necessity driving invention.
Speaker 1: Our source material has this great example. Souris he's got a small business, maybe twenty employees. Think about the old way he'd have to operate.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he'd need a server room, actual physical hardware, software licenses, security stuff, backup systems.
Speaker 1: Plus a dedicated IT team just to keep the wife. It's on for email and basic operations.
Speaker 2: And the killer is as Sorage's company grows, that cost that capital expenditure or capex, it just balloons buying servers, paying for power cooling.
Speaker 1: Every new hire, every new software feature means buying more stuff. It's a huge drain, a management headache exactly.
Speaker 2: So the cloud emerges to fix that specific pain point.
Speaker 1: At its core, it's about flipping that huge upfront capex into a variable cost, an operational cost. Right.
Speaker 2: Cloud offers this scalable, convenient, on demand access and crucially, paper use access to.
Speaker 1: This massive shared pool of resources, storage, networks, computing power, application.
Speaker 2: Delivered instantly over the internet, usually just through your web browser.
Speaker 1: You're not building the power plan anymore. You're just plugging in your toaster and paying for the electricity you use.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and that radically cuts cost because you don't own the physical gear, you just consume the service.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get into the defining features. What makes something cloud. It's not just remote access, right, There are specific rules, specific characteristics. NIST has a definition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these characteristics are key to how it all works strategically. First up, on demand self service.
Speaker 1: Which sounds like what it.
Speaker 2: Is pretty much. It means you the user can get computing resources, spin up a server, adds storied whenever you need it.
Speaker 1: Through a simple web portal, usually no need to file a ticket and wait for an admin.
Speaker 2: Exactly, no human intervention needed from the provider side to provision it.
Speaker 1: It's instant, and that speed connects directly. The next one rapid elasticity.
Speaker 2: Elasticity. This is huge. It's the ability for those resources to scale up or down really quickly, automatically.
Speaker 1: Even so, if your website suddenly gets slammed with traffic.
Speaker 2: The cloud infrastructure just expands to handle it and then shrinks back when the traffic dies down. You match capacity to demand almost perfectly.
Speaker 1: Which sounds expensive. That instant scaling, how is that affordable?
Speaker 2: Well, that brings us to the economic engine. Multi tenancy. This is where the uh the real efficiency comes from.
Speaker 1: Meaning multiple customers are using the same underlying hardware.
Speaker 2: Exactly, thousands of businesses like Sourishes are sharing the same physical server, the same storage array. The provider pools these resources at massive.
Speaker 1: Scale, turning everyone's potential CAPEX headache into their own highly efficient operational cost their op X.
Speaker 2: Precisely, that sharing drives down the cost per user and makes the elasticity possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, but sharing that immediately raises security questions. If we're all on the same box.
Speaker 2: That's a critical point and it leads into the architecture and especially virtualization, which we'll dig into. The short answer is the resources are logically isolated, very rigorously.
Speaker 1: So even though you're sharing hardware, your data and processes are kept private and secure from other tenants. If their virtual server crashes, yours is fine.
Speaker 2: Correct. That isolation is fundamental. So we have on demand elasticity, multi tenancy. And the last key bit is paper use.
Speaker 1: You only pay for what you can and zume like utilities. Like utilities, measure the resources you use, CPU hours, gigabytes stored and get built for just that simple, transparent Okay, those are the rules of engagement. Now, how is the system actually structured? The architecture right, front end and back end.
Speaker 2: Right. The front end is pretty straightforward. It's what you the user see and interact with.
Speaker 1: My laptop, my phone, the web browser, the app interface like Gmail or Google.
Speaker 2: Docs exactly, the client side interface.
Speaker 1: And the back end that's the mysterious part. The cloud itself.
Speaker 2: That's the provider's domain. It's the massive data centers. The warehouse is full of servers, the huge storage systems, the networks, the security infrastructure, everything that makes the cloud work.
Speaker 1: And as a user, I don't know or really need to know where that back end physically is or how it's configured.
Speaker 2: Correct, That complexity is abstracted away. That's part of the service. You interact with the simple front end. The provider manages the complex back.
Speaker 1: End right moving up the stack or maybe down, depending on how you see it. The service models. This is about what you're actually buying and how much control you keep versus handover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's often shown as a pyramid or stack. Three main layers sauces, Polus, and ISS. It's about the division of responsibility.
Speaker 1: Start at the top with sas software as service. This feels like the most common one for end users.
Speaker 2: It is SAUCE is delivering software applications over the Internet. You just access them, usually through your browser, think Gmail, Salesforce Office three sixty five.
Speaker 1: You don't install anything, you don't manage updates, you don't worry about the servers of the OS it runs on.
Speaker 2: Nope, the vendor handles all of that. You just use the software. Our source analogy is good here. Sauce is like hailing a cab.
Speaker 1: You get the ride, you don't worry about the car, the driver, the fuel, the maintenance. You just use the service. You manage your data, maybe user access, but that's it exactly.
Speaker 2: Maximum convenience, minimum control over the underlying stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving down one level. PASS platform is a service's more for developers.
Speaker 2: It generally is PASS provides a platform and environment for developers to build, deploy, and manage their own applications.
Speaker 1: So the vendor still manages the infrastructure, servers, storage, networking, the operating system.
Speaker 2: Right, but you, the customer, you manage your application code and your data. The vendor provides the workshop and the heavy machinery. You bring your tools and build your product.
Speaker 1: What's in that platform they provide beyond just the OS.
Speaker 2: Crucially, it includes middleware, things like database management systems, messaging queues, development tools, business intelligence services. Stuff you normally have to install and manage yourself.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, So it streamlines the development process. The analogy here.
Speaker 2: Calling a cab, but driving it yourself. The cars provided and maintained, making it easier, but you control the journey the destination. Examples are things like Google app Engine or Heroku or Microsoft Azure app Service.
Speaker 1: Got it so less convenience than saws, but more control for building custom.
Speaker 2: Some things precisely now the base layer IAS infrastructure as a service.
Speaker 1: This sounds like the most fundamental raw ingredients.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. ISS provides the basic building blocks of computing resources like virtual servers, storage networks. You rent it infrastructure on a paper use basis.
Speaker 1: Like we discussed.
Speaker 2: Exactly with IRIS, you manage almost everything above the raw hardware virtualization, your own operating systems, your middleware, your applications, your data.
Speaker 1: So wait, if I'm managing the OS and everything else, haven't I just swapped owning a physical server in my office for rending a virtual server somewhere else Where's the big advantage over just running my own data center? Apart from maybe initial cost, That's a.
Speaker 2: Really important question. The revolutionary gain isn't just cost, though that's part of it. It's the scale and speed.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: With iiras, you get access to essentially unlimited resources provisioned almost instantly. Need one thousand servers for a four hour data processing job.
Speaker 1: With a WSEC two or Google Compute engine, you click a few buttons, run your job, and then shut them down. You pay only for those four hours.
Speaker 2: Try doing that with physical hardware the procurement, time, the setup. It's impossible. That elasticity, that ability to access massive scale on demand is what changes the game. No small or even medium business could replicate that capability on their own.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. It's the scale and the agility you're buying, so we know the whatsas pi os ohes. But where does this stuff live and who else is using it? That brings us to deployment models, right.
Speaker 2: This defines the access and ownership. The most common one you hear about is the public cloud.
Speaker 1: Like AWS, Google Cloud, Azure exactly.
Speaker 2: Resources, servers, storage networks are owned and operated by the provider and they're offered over the public Internet to anyone who wants to sign up.
Speaker 1: It's multi tenant, like we talked about shared infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Yes, the big advantages are massive scalability and cost effectiveness because you're leveraging the provider's huge scale and only paying for your slice. The vendor handles all the maintenance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maximum scale, potentially lowest cost, but maybe less control over the environment.
Speaker 2: What's the opposite That would be the private cloud. This is cloud infrastructure operated solely for a single organization.
Speaker 1: So they might build it themselves in their own data center, or have a third party host it just for them, but it's dedicated, single tenant.
Speaker 2: Correct resources are usually accessed over a private network, often behind the company firewall.
Speaker 1: Why do this? Seems like you lose some of the cost benefits of public.
Speaker 2: Cloud control and security. For organizations with really strict regulatory requirements or sensitive data think finance, government, healthcare, a private cloud offers much leater control over the infrastructure and data security.
Speaker 1: Okay, public for scale and cost, private for control and security. But the real world.
Speaker 2: Is messy, right it is, and that's why the hybrid cloud is so common, especially for larger.
Speaker 1: Enterprises, mixing and matching.
Speaker 2: Exactly, binding a private cloud with one or more public cloud services you orchestrate between the two.
Speaker 1: What's the strategy there? Why combine them?
Speaker 2: It lets you optimize. You can keep your super sensitive data and core applications on your private cloud for security and control, but.
Speaker 1: Use the public cloud for things that need massive scale or are less sensitive, like maybe customer facing websites, or development and testing environments or big data analytics.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you get the best of both worlds security where you need it, scale and cost efficiency where you can leverage it, and this.
Speaker 1: Hybrid approach enables a really cool concept cloud bursting.
Speaker 2: Ah, cloud bursting. Yeah, this is a fantastic use case for hybrid. Imagine your application running happily on your private cloud.
Speaker 1: Then suddenly a massive spike in demand hits, like a big sale event or end of quarter reporting.
Speaker 2: Your private cloud might get overwhelmed. With cloud bursting. The application can automatically burst spill over the extra demand to the public cloud.
Speaker 1: So you seamlessly tap into the public clouds elasticity just for that peak period.
Speaker 2: Right, You handle the spike without crashing, pay for the extra public cloud resources only while you need them, and then scale back down. It's a great way to balance cost, performance and availability smart.
Speaker 1: We should also quickly mention the community cloud. It's less common, but it exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a niche model. It's like a semi private cloud where infrastructure is shared by several organizations with common concerns.
Speaker 1: Maybe specific security requirements or compliance needs, or a joint project exactly.
Speaker 2: Think of a group of government agencies or universities, or maybe companies in a specific industry sharing the cost of a tailored cloud environment.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered the models, the services, the deployments. But none of this, the elasticity, the multi tenancy, the paper use, none of it works without one core enabling technology.
Speaker 2: You got it, virtualization. It's the absolute foundation, the engine driving the whole thing.
Speaker 1: What is it exactly?
Speaker 2: In simple terms, virtualization is basically using software to create a virtual version of something physical. Most often it's creating virtual machines vms that act like real physical computers.
Speaker 1: So you take one powerful physical server, you.
Speaker 2: Use software to slice it up into multiple independent virtual servers. Each VM gets its own share of the physical servers CPU, memory, storage, and networking, and each.
Speaker 1: VM can run its own operating system and applications completely isolated from the others. Correct.
Speaker 2: This is how cloud providers can efficiently pack many customers onto the same physical hardware. It gives each customer the illusion of having their own dedicated machine.
Speaker 1: That ability to run many pretend computers on one real one. That's the source of the efficiency and cost savings. Who manages this slicing and dicing.
Speaker 2: That magic piece of software is called the hypervisor, or sometimes the virtual machine monitor VMM.
Speaker 1: The hypervisor sits between the physical hardware and the virtual.
Speaker 2: Machines exactly it's the traffic cop It creates the vms, runs them, and allocates the physical resources among them. It makes sure they don't interfere with each other, which.
Speaker 1: Brings us back to that isolation benefit we mentioned earlier.
Speaker 2: Absolutely critical because the hypervisor isolates each VM. If one VM crashes or gets compromised, it doesn't take down the others running on the same physical host.
Speaker 1: That's essential for multi tenancy to work securely totally.
Speaker 2: So virtualization gives you cost reduction, fewer physical servers needed, less power, less space, much better resource utilization, packing more workloads onto hardware, and that crucial isolation. It's the technology that makes the cloud business model possible. Hashtag tag tag outrop.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, we've really covered the landscape here, the why, solving the CAPEX burden, the how, the architecture and virtualization, what's a sauce passis, and the deployment models, and.
Speaker 2: You can see why it's so popular. Rapid resources, amazing scalability, significant cost savings, especially avoiding buying and maintaining all that expensive hardware yourself.
Speaker 1: But like anything power, there's another side to the coin. Convenience often comes with trade offs with challenges. You need to be aware of absolutely.
Speaker 2: Let's touch on a few key ones. The most obvious, perhaps is dependency on the Internet connection. Totally your entire operation, your apps, your data, your servers is accessed over the Internet. If that connection goes down or even just get slow and unreliable.
Speaker 1: You dead in a water. Your access just vanishes. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: It is. Then there are ongoing security issues. Now, providers are incredibly good at securing the underlying infrastructure, the data centers, but you're.
Speaker 1: Still often sharing resources in a multi tenant environment, and the customer still has responsibility for securing their own applications and data configurations within the cloud. Right.
Speaker 2: It creates a shared responsibility model and storing sensitive data on servers you don't physically control. Well, it's a persistent concern, requires constant vigilance, robust security practices on the user side too.
Speaker 1: Okay, dependency security. What else?
Speaker 2: A big one actually, if you lean heavily into pass or ias, is the risk of vendor lock.
Speaker 1: In, meaning it's hard to switch providers later.
Speaker 2: It can be Yeah, imagine you build a complex application deeply integrated with one provider's specific platform services, their proprietary database, their unique machine learning tools. Their specific APIs.
Speaker 1: Moving that whole setup to a different cloud provider who has different proprietary services.
Speaker 2: It can become incredibly complex, time consuming, and expensive. It's like building your house perfectly fitted to one very specific plot of land. Moving the whole house later is often harder than just building a new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. You trade some portability for the convenience of those integrated platform services.
Speaker 2: And all these challenges dependency, security, complexity, lock in, they all feed into what might be the biggest strategic challenge for enterprises using cloud today, especially multi cloud environments, which is governance and control. Think about it, the provider manages all the underlying infrastructure. As a client, you often lack deep visibility and fine grained control over exactly how resources are provisioned, how data is handled, how compliance is enforced consistently across different cloud environments.
Speaker 1: So you gain massive convenience in scale, but you potentially lose that direct, granular oversight you had when everything was in your own.
Speaker 2: Data center exactly managing it governance, risk, and compliance in a world where your infrastructure is abstracted and spread across multiple providers, that's a huge ongoing challenge.
Speaker 1: So The final thought for you, the listener might be what's the real price of convenience? Wrestling with that tension, balancing the cloud's power with the need for robust governance and control. That's the critical task is you navigate this landscape.