Speaker 1: Greene's Society Tations. Everyone a Rich wils I'm looking to Fantasy Baseball Live. Today is January eighteenth, about three point thirty in the afternoon. As always, I'm here with my good buddy Tim McCleod, and Tim has gotten a new headset. Tim and I just recorded a podcast where we talked about that at length. But timmy sound good? Do you say they're lightweight? Tim sent me picture of the box and maybe I'll buy them myself.
Speaker 2: Tim, okay, Yeah. The ourist thing I'm having trouble getting used to is the fact that they were so light. It doesn't seem like they're on my head. The other ones were like a tighter seal around the years, and I knew they I knew they were there. This one here, it's you can't even tell. You can't even tell you're wearing them. They're like air, very.
Speaker 1: Very like voice link one hundreds. Anything that's got a number next to Timmy's got to be.
Speaker 2: Good, right, Well, I would I would think so, yeah, or else we wouldn't do our prospect in ranking list, right, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's true. So Tim House, how's life and this week doing well?
Speaker 2: Actually, I've had a cold most of the week. I spent most of it in bed. I just just feeling a little bit beat up. There's an influenza B virus going around our neck of the woods, and being that I move people around in a vehicle, if there's something going on on out there, usually managed to stumble into it. But you know, our hospital and our our nursing home are both under strict masking protocol right now because they've had breakouts at both. So hey, Rods, you're gonna gonna catch it and caught it. But you'll love our weather forecast for today, Rich it's a jam.
Speaker 1: Got what is it?
Speaker 2: We're not going to get much snow, but we don't have to because they're calling for winds between forty and fifty miles an hour.
Speaker 1: Oh gez, say no more. It doesn't matter how cold it is. It's going to be cold.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's going to be cold. And even though we're not getting snow, with that amount of wind, it just blows around and drifts all over the place. So I don't plan on leaving the host today. I might not even plan on leaving the host until Wednesday. I'm going to let this thing go through and fulfill its course. And then venture out into the real world after that.
Speaker 1: I think, well, we were supposed to go to a wedding or wedding reception or something wedding related with a seven year old woman who is getting married. Yeah, Laurie knows, but unfortunate Laura got sick. I've had an off and on cold just knows. But Laurie's been she's been down last couple of days. Yeah, so she just didn't feel good going there. So so yeah, so that was that, and then then hopefully we'll be well tomorrow. We got a We've had a big week in baseball, Timmy, and so we're going to talk about that. We're also going to talk about Tim's third base rankings, which is just good stuff and Tim's I think if the third base rankings Tim went outside of where a lot of these players are going, I think that's really important because you're going to see some value, at least from Tim's perspective, where you can get this. So stayed with us through the whole show because I think that's going to be a really good, really good stuff to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, the word controversial might come into these rankings today on one or two occasions, anyways.
Speaker 1: That is for sure, Timmy. Let's talk about, you know, the elephant of the room, and that is the Dodgers sign Kyle Tucker. And I had forgotten that when you and I do are ill Fate at Sean. I don't know why we can need to do it, but every year we do an ill fitting show trying to figure out where guys are going to sign. And I don't know if you remember we we both had Kyle Tucker going to the Dodgers, and which that was back two months ago. I'd forgotten about that. And when he signed, I kind of laughed out loud when the Dodgers signed him, thinking, yeah, really the Dodgers, And then then you just see the crazy aav that was. He was signed for fifty seven million dollars a year. Obviously there's money deferred and all because that's what the Dodgers do, but they paid him a ton of money to play for a couple of years and then he can opt out. And I just wanted to know your thoughts when you heard the news, your thoughts on the deal, your thoughts on the Dodgers, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. Yeah, it Dodgers have the money to throw her around, and they are throwing it around. Yeah, Hey, the J's have The J's have a ton of resources available to them, and they've been making some moves this off season. Uh, I wasn't surprised. Hey, Dodgers want want to win. They got the money. They're spending it on these players and improving their odds of doing exactly what every team wants to do. And that's when the World Series. You know, as far as the comments about ruining baseball, this, this, this, and hey, they're playing with the rules, within the rules. The problem isn't with the Dodgers. The problems with the rules in play. The Dodgers have a ton of financial resources available to the courtesy of the the big TV deal, and the J's are in the same boat. They own sports Net. Okay, the Rogers family that the Garagers Corporation is is stacked. There's lots of money in some organizations, not so much in others. That hey, they're playing within the rules. What has to happen is the rules have to change. And that's where we're going to see problems around about next December first, because again, the owners are going to want the players to bail them out of a problem, and the owners have to find a way to bail themselves out of that problem before they go after the players.
Speaker 1: Let's let's kind of talk about what Tim. Let's drill down to what Tim is talking about. So the national TV contract is split evenly amongst the teams, So that's right, that's not inequality difference. The inequality comes in the local TV contracts. Tim, do you want to maybe you know this, what do the Dodgers get annually from local television rates?
Speaker 2: I haven't I haven't actually dugged it up, dug it up, but the numbers that I'm seeing are somewhere in the area of three hundred and thirty to three hundred and fifty million dollars annually coming out of their local.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we didn't do against the player because you nailed it. It's three hundred and thirty four million dollars a year. To give you give you a counter argument, the Orioles are, you know, kind of in the bottom third of size. Their TV contract is fifty eight million dollars, so you're talking a six x difference between the two. Further complicating the math is a lot of the local TV contracts have gone away, and a lot of those teams have been absorbed by Major League Baseball and they're streaming through major League Baseball and they're getting very little from a local TV contract. So the Dodgers and the Yankees, to a certain extent, we find out what the Yankees local TV contract is. That's the big difference is the amount of money coming into the Dodgers is so much more than what it's coming in from most teams. And the Dodgers have made the decision right and good on them to spend the money as opposed to pocket the money. But it has created a big problem for Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has. The Jays are owned by Rogers. Our largest sports network is sports Net. They carry all the Jays games. Guess who owns sports Net? Rogers. We don't even we don't even know what the Chase are making on local money because they own the network that does all their games. All that advertising money is going into that massive pot called Rogers Communications. Yeah, teams like Pittsburgh, your small market, they don't have those resources. You're talking apples and oranges and big apples and small oranges.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the Yankees local TV contract is AI is saying one hundred and forty three million dollars. That was in twenty twenty two. But it might look like the Yankees can't even compete with the Dodgers from a financial maneuvering standpoint. And I think I think it was Ken Rosenthal who wrote an article about this in the last couple of days that he was talking with someone in baseball who had not heard about the deal yet, and when Rosenthal told him about the deal, he goes, well, that's going to be a big problem. There's going to be a big lockout over it. You know. It's just the teams have had enough of the Dodgers just kind of doing this, and so now you not only have the players fighting with the owners, but now you might have owners fighting with other owners.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's a that's a given that owners are fighting with owners. But there's an easy way to resolve that situation, I believe. Okay, right now, there is a the luxury tax or whatever, and instead of thirty percent in the first year, make it one hundred percent. Instead of fifty per second year violations, make it two hundred percent, make it three hundred percent in the third year. Okay, if teams are right now following the rules to the game and they can afford to pay, i e. The Dodgers, they can afford to pay the penalties, make the penalties at the stage where teams can't afford them, and that would provide a great equalizer and one that keeps the word salary cap out of the discussion because players don't want ahead in that direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a that's a non starter. If the counters start to pull a push for that, we could have an extensive, extensive lockout and it probably will never still be a salary cap.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's not a I don't think it's a top a resolvable topic looking at caps. So if you're not going to look at caps and you're trying to equalize the game, how else do you do it? Penalize those to the point where they can't afford to pay the penalties.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thought I had was maybe start to make the local TV contracts part of the overall pool, and particularly if teams don't have local TV contracts, And I mean, you think that the league needs to look at it as the league and not as the separate franchises within the league. You know, the NFL does such a great job, and the NFL just prints money, and they look at the whole thing league wide as opposed to we're all making money or we're all losing money. There's not going to be rich teams and poor teams. And consequently, I mean, the owners are filthy rich in football and they're just making pandover fist and money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem in baseball would be you institute whatever type of program you have, and there are going to be teams that are going to spend money, the Dodgers, the Yankees, and then there are going to be teams where the owners are going to say, screw that, we're putting everything in our pocket and we're not going to spend the We're not going to spend ten cents. And until you get everybody on the same page any sort of revenue sharing on local money, that gets a little bit tough. Like I don't think I don't think management and the players have a problem resolving things. I think it's management and management is where your problem lies. And that's a big problem, a huge problem. As long as you've got the guys that are going to nickel and dime everybody to death. Are they going to even in a cap situation? Are they going to spend the cap?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll put the money in their pocket, and it defeats the purpose of the whole exercise, right, But which is equalization?
Speaker 1: I think within like football, there is a minimum and there's there's a maximum, and it's a pretty small band, so you've got to spend the money. And I think those caps kind of would have to go hand in hand with the sharing of local revenue. I totally agree with you there, But again, the Caps are probably also I don't know what the answer is. I mean, that's what's scary about this and looking at the twenty twenty seventh season, is how are they going to figure this out?
Speaker 2: I all I know is that Rob Manfrein's whirlwind tour tour explaining all of the pros, caps, et cetera. It is a waste of Rob Manfred's time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he wants to go on a promo tour, pick a different topic because the one he's picked is not going to strengthen or you know, the player's position on the way through. Hey, baseball's come, baseball has there's money goal or in baseball, it's just about who's making it. And again, there's got to be something in place so that owners simply don't take take all the freebies out of life. Like the Dodgers will turn around and say, well, hey, Pittsburgh, you made more money than us last year. Why should we succumb to a system. You know that, in fact, you made more money on the bottom line than we did last year. We just happened to you spending it on players because we want to win. You just happened to put it in your pocket because you want to get richer. You know, there's lots of money in baseball. But I don't know how they're going to sort it out. I really don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know either, And it appears the Dodgers just are saying, screw it, We're going to win as many championships while we can, and so let's get sorted out and look, at some point, the Dodgers will be old. They're getting older already, and at some point they might say, Okay, we've spent enough, we can no longer continue at this because they've got all these deferred deals. I think it'll kind of go back, you know, equate back to the norm the moment. I mean, the Dodgers are simply playing a different game than everybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And on top of the fact that they're playing a different game, they also are a well run franchise. Just look at their minor leagues. Yeah, absolutely, Hey, scouting from top to bottom. They are a first class organization. And how do you fault the Dodgers were playing within the rules, playing within the system, and doing what they are doing to win titles. You can.
Speaker 1: They took arguably the Dodgers are arguably the best general manager in the game of Alex Freeman and from the Rays and said, you take all of your smart baseball skills and we're going to let you spend as much money as you want. And I think you've seen the result of that. You've seen a minor league system that's a top three minor league system, and it's the best major League baseball team by a long shot at the moment. On paper, it's it's the best baseball team. Now doesn't mean they're going to win, but it's the best one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would love to see the look on his face when they said, yeah, you didn't Tampa Bay except don't worry about money like he probably had a perma smile on his face for a week and a half. Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually think, in a weird way, I think baseball needs the Dodgers to be the Evil Dodgers. They Baseball was better when the Yankees were the Evil Yankees. It's always good empire the evil empire, right, It's always it's always good to have that team that. Like, Look how much how close the Blue Jays came to knocking off the Dodgers and Timmy, I mean they, I mean they were Yamamoto a couple of innings away of Yamamoto not pitching well to winning that series. And imagine how sweet it's going to be when some team eventually knocks off the Dodgers. I think that that David versus Goliath thing really plays. And uh, because everybody's going to tune in to watch Otani and the Dodgers, and then all of a sudden, it's going to be this little pip squeak team called the Blue Jays with Schneider and Clement, who are they playing key Roles knocks them off, And I think that's going to happen one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in any given five or seven game series anybody can win the trick is getting there to have that opportunity. So yeah, definitely, the Dodgers are the favorite, think of the best best team on paper by a long shot. But that doesn't mean that they're going to be they're going to beat the Jay's or the Yankees or the Red Sox or anybody else for that might matter. They Hey, they could lose to the diet to the Diamondbacks in a five game series. You just don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, so back to fantasy baseball. Obviously, Dodger Stadium is good to right hand at power. That helps Tucker a little bit. The data says that Tucker doesn't have the wheels anymore. He continues to steal bases, but the Dodgers are really really good. Why is he going to need to steal bases? What do you do? You have any up or down on Kyle Tucker or is it a where he's gone? Is about the right spot?
Speaker 2: I think it's about the right spot. But I would be incredibly shocked. Yeah, and we can say this about a lot of players in la very very shocked. If he performs to his maximum levels simply because he doesn't have to. They can take him and play him part time in September once they winched the division. Okay, last year he stole a twenty five bases something like that.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's stolen thirty, twenty five and twenty five in three of the past four years. Yeah, I think he's going to stay steal fifteen to twenty bases. But I don't see him see stealing twenty five to thirty Why Why would they take it chance on injury in September so Kyle Tucker can steal an extra ten bases. That just doesn't make sense, does it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's he playing for a contract? Yeah, he's the highest it's the highest paid player at the moment. He's played more than Otani obviously, more than want Soto, significantly more than wan So, and he's not even close to the same count where those players are. But so he's not going to play for more money because he's already paid the most.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, So I think he's going to have a good year. I think it's the first round talent. Just don't expect him to steal thirty five bases or hey he could, he could hit thirty one more runs. I don't see any problems with that. But I think when it comes to the risk part of the game, which is stolen bases are every time somebody takes off for a second. All it takes is, you know, Spike to catch anything at second base, and you could be looking at a knee, looking at the army. I just don't think he'll run as much.
Speaker 1: But you could argue he's probably gonna score more runs and drive in more guys because he's on a better team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna he's a good player. Okay, So yeah, if you're playing in ahead to head league, then it might be a little disappointing. If you're playing in the title and he said three games out of the seven in the week you're playing for the title.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you a question and we're gonna pivot over to what the Mets are doing, because I do think the two are related. Because the Mets desperately wanted to sign Kyle Tucker, uh and they didn't. Obviously, no anybody lose playing time because of the Tucker signing. I couldn't discern that. I think it does. As we talked on the Prospect podcast before we did this, Housweed Depaullensire hope and maybe some other guys might be delayed another year at least with Tucker's arrival. Anything else that you see as an implication for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is one rather big implication. I see, uh looking at the middle infield, Okay. Before the Tucker signing, Okay, the Dodgers were were looking at a situation where Tommy Edmund was going to play in the outfield. Okay, Uh, and what and the Dodgers were looking at rolling out heis on Kim as their second basement as an everyday player. Well, with the Tucker signing, Edmund moves back to second Heisan. Kim could be a bench type player. He could play at Triple A until needed because of injury. So that's the one that is the one big change to the everyday lineup and having Kim roster in one league. Timmy does not approve of the Tucker signing in light of that, but that's that's just it's all about me eating. But Kim is not going to get the playing time that a week ago it was anticipated he was.
Speaker 1: That's fair, that's fair, that's fair. The I do think the same kind of analysis needs to be done with the Mets, because again, the Mets wanted the sign Tucker, they didn't sign Talcker, so then they pivoted very quickly to Bobashett. And sometimes Tim, you're at the right place at the right time. And as crazy as a Kyle Tucker deal is, the Bobaschett deal is just nuts.
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't Sid Night.
Speaker 1: This is a good player, but this isn't. He's getting forty two million dollars a year. There's an opt out after each year, and if he opts out, the Mets have to pay him five million dollars from down It's like you have another I mean, that's the craziest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Well, not only not only is it hey good for Bolbashet, he's cut himself a raft of money. I don't be grudge Boulbashett, but it that's just flat out stupid. I'm glad that Jays didn't get into that sort of a bidding situation because I good on the Mets. I hope it works out for him. Do I think it will work for them? No, I really don't. I think the Mets are gonna rue the five million dollars that they don't have to pay because he won't be offting out to that deal anytime soon. And I can't see it at all.
Speaker 1: I have to agree with you there as well. I mean it's it's I thought it was a crazy contract. And again, if Bobaschett was the guy that we saw four or five years ago, maybe it was injuries all last season, but he was a good he was much much better last season. But the power, the data says the power is good, not great. The speed is gone. You can't play shortstop anymore, so he's playing third base. I think it was a panic move by the by the.
Speaker 2: Mets can't disagree. I'm crazy, That's all I can say. Crazy. And not only that, it is Hey has created a that one signing has created a rather serious shuffle in the Mets line up. And when we get to the third base rankings, we'll see how crazy it actually is. Because I when I did my rankings, I did them based on after the deal, not before the deal. So there are some huge swings in player rankings as a result of this deal. And hey, what do you what do you do with Mark Bientto's what do you do with Bret Beaty? Orgie Polanco is now your first basement in New York. They got a Semion. Okay, they got a Shedd at third, they got Lindora Short Uh, they got to play polongco so, Riento's and Beady are ony on the burger being ones on the outside looking in and the others slotted in a DH.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of looked at it as if Tucker would have sig Tucker would have signed to the Mets. Then Alston Carson Binge's opportunity looks in questioned. All of a sudden, now it sure looks like the Mets are going to camp with him getting a really good chance to break camp as the Mets corner outfielder, which I think is great because I think he's going.
Speaker 2: To be a good player.
Speaker 1: But all of a sudden, now it creates a shuffle in the infield with who's gonna is Battye and or Vientzo's even get a shot at plane? And you're suggesting, now you're going to see those guys drop, And what about our buddy Jet Williams. I mean I think Jet Jet, Yeah, I think Jet Willis. If you're Jet Williams, you're on the call to your agent going get me in the outfield because I could play better than Tyrone Taylor, and that's that's gotta be your spot. And I have to believe that's where the Mets are going to go. Is they're going to start to see Jet Williams in the center field a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, they could have if Tucker would have went to the Mets, they could have still looked at Benji and Tyrone Taylor could have been their fourth outfielder, okay, rotating with Benji okay, and then you would have still had a situation where Polanco's playing third base. Whatever. You could have made it work, okay, a lot easier with Viano's and Baby because they they could have made a move in the outfield that would have by signing Tucker, it automatically improves the outfield. And right now they have Benji and Tyrone Taylor slided into the outfield. One of those two would be a fourth outfielder type or still playing in the minors, and Viano's would have a job right or Baby depending on who ends up with it.
Speaker 1: But let's face it, I mean I was worried about both of those guys being able to hit at the big league level, and it just what I don't even want to say that the Mets agree with that. I think they panicked and when they didn't get Tucker, it's like, oh, we got to get this guy. I'm assuming they talked through the logic of what happens to Viensus and Baby, but it almost feels like they didn't do. Those guys get moved because there's also a first basement that the Mets have coming through the minor leagues. It's just about ready as well. He's got big boy power.
Speaker 2: So they've also got Ronnie Mauricio and they've got Louis Angel Okay, yeah, it's those guys.
Speaker 1: Those guys. If you think Ronnie Mauricio is on rosterble, I believe so's Louisa. Unless somebody gets hurt. Those those guys, they don't have a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna have to be There's gonna have to be some sort of movement. I think I can't see them sitting the Entos and or Beady and or Mauricio and or and or and or and Or. Something's gonna have to give at some point time. And I don't think the implications I agree. I think it was a little bit of a rush job on behalf of the Mets to save face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And well, Donald on Bobachett's agent, I mean he pushed that. It's just a perfect scenario that just unfolded for him.
Speaker 2: And look, you got sime.
Speaker 1: In, you got Lindor, and now Bobaschett. Those are three of the highest paid guys in baseball. They're gonna play one hundred and forty games a year at the respecting position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you mention one sort of Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I was just talking about the infield. So anybody like Lois, I'll Goacuna and recently they're going to be super subs and they're only going to carry one of them, I would think, unless they just decide to bail on Tyron Taylor, who was a really good defender. So uh, I mean it's it's tough. And then Baddie and Vianta's it's four guys for two spots. Good luck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And Ryan Clifford is saying to his agent, Okay, find me a team to play on, please quickly.
Speaker 1: I Ryan Clifford, that's the guy you really keep an eye on. I think he's going to be a better version of Viantas and Baddie and so we'll see. But there's no room for him. So there's no point in even thinking about drafting them in the draft and hold league. It just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: No, there's yeah, he's got to climb over half a dozen people to get himself in a position for playing time. It ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 1: That's the second deal, Tim. The third deal, I thought it was the most fascinating because it was a trade on I always love trade trades, and it was a three team deal. The Ray sent your guy Josh low to the Angels, the Race sent excuse me, the Reds sent Gavin Lucks to the Rays, and then the Reds. The Reds got brock Burke from Cincinnati, and Chris Clark went from the Angels to Tampa Bay. Not famous guys, not big name guys. But another thing that opens up maybe a slot for Jacob Melton and Tampa Gavin Luks. Can he develop into something. He's going to play second base, maybe bat leadoff because of his high one base percentage at Tampa. Josh Lowe's gonna play. Can't hit lefties. Help me break this down. I mean, do you see anybody going up? Do you see anybody going down? Where do you see all this going?
Speaker 2: I really don't see it going anywhere.
Speaker 1: So you think it's a stuff moving moving deck chairs around on the Titanic, that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I I think the biggest hole.
Speaker 1: You like that one? God one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that? Yeah. Yeah, musical chairs and they've got the exact same number of chairs as people. That's it. Wouldn't that be fair?
Speaker 1: But I like that Titanic one because as the Titanic is going down, you're rearranging the chairs and it doesn't matter because it's all going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, uh I I would like to think that the possible biggest benefic fishery of this whole mess is going to be Jacob Milton. How was that?
Speaker 1: I wrote a very long post to our to our Patrons members, and Tim read this, and then I had asked my AI engine to give me his thoughts, which were Brillian, and he was all over. He was all over Jacob Melton. I brought it up, but he was all over it, like this is the guy you want. He's going to get an opportunity. I reminded him he couldn't hit lefties, but he didn't care. He was all in.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where I'm sorry. I think we've seen enough of josh Lowell. Okay, we know who he is, we know who he can. It's not moving him to the Angels is not going to change anything at all. He's a platoon player. He might play every day with the Angels. But do you want is it bats against lefties? Probably not.
Speaker 1: A slug is to something, it's it's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, So from purposes of our game, we'd have it rather have and be in a better spot. If Joshua is a platoon player, if he plays every day in Los Angeles, it's actually going to decrease his value. I don't think Gavin Lux is the Gavin Lux man he thought he might be. So again yeah, okay, yeah, maybe it's two more home runs or I just don't see anything significant happening, except in the case of Jacob Milton. If it creates an opportunity there, he might see he's going to get a chance, I think now, and I sort of like as a late pick, and Jacob Milton has moved on to my radar now, So.
Speaker 1: If I could just give a plug for Gavin Lux, Yes, I ranked him very high. I thought I think a lot of people thought he was going to be a much better player than he turned out to be. Having said that, he does get on base a lot, he is a good hitter. He does hit the It doesn't hit the ball hard, but it's it's like a twenty five ranking an exit velocity eighty eight point six or eight. I'm going for a memory here. He has no leverage in his swing. It is conceivable. And again this is all making shut up as we go through this, sister, to try to paint the narrative. If he added he's got enough, he's got enough context skills to add leverage to his swing, so he could go from five arm runs to twelve ish fifteen ish type of fum run with a swing change. And he's faster than he's He's never stolen bases, but he's got a little bit of speed. So there are some elements in there that you can sit there and convince yourself there is some upside. How much of it's how much it's actually going to play out, I don't know, Probably none, but I think there's more upside with lucks than there is with Josh Lowe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's fair. If it was anybody other than the Rays, I'd probably agree a little bit more. But I can see the Rais taking a look and saying, Okay, Gavin Lux is a left handed bat, We're going to hit it at the top of the order. But no, we got to get Ryan Vladi in there as a right handed bat. Okay against when there's the same side arm going up against Gavin Lucks a.
Speaker 1: Lot still still kicking around? Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: No, he's He's your backup infielder in Tampa Bay and possibly platooner with Gavin Lux. It's Tampa Bay. I can't I've seen enough to Tampa I can't rule anything out there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the first time, the first time Lux goes in three games over twelve against South buzz okay, are the most teams wouldn't even consider. But the Rays will be looking at it, saying, we got to give a Loti in there, We got to make a change.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I have a hard time getting out of that mindset when it comes to the race.
Speaker 1: Yep. I do think the big winner here is Jacob Meltain, but again, it does have pretty severe splatoon splits that rival that of Josh Lowe, and he could be a Josh Low type of player who is reasonable tim. I mean, that's a guy that you roster her.
Speaker 2: And then then he ends up he ends up platooning with Johnny DeLuca or Justin, Henry molloy and Devia. I mean, it's yeah and Jake Creley. Yeah, it just sort of goes on and on and on and on.
Speaker 1: The one thing I do like about the trade is it is a change of scenery for the principles, Josh Love and Gavin LUs. I mean, Josh Low needs a maybe maybe somebody else, I don't know if it's the Angels, but somebody else can help him figure out how to pick up left handed pictures coming out. Maybe it's swing changes that another organization can have Gavin Lux go through. Now again, it's the thirteam for Gavin Lux. So there could be some stubbornness involved that he just doesn't want to change.
Speaker 2: But and it opens up an opportunity for Sal Stewart.
Speaker 1: Fair point. We didn't talk about Selseiae. Yeah, he's looks like he's gonna be a line yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there'll be you know, there's there's more opportunities for Sal Stewart. Gavin Lux was not going to be a full time player in Cincinnati. Yeah, it's creaty a situation where as players. I think every one of the players involved in this deal should be happy with the deal for the multipart yep. And that's that's yeah, that's that's not about thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll tend to go on forty minutes to sake a quick break and come back talk about third base.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: You've been talking for a long time.
Speaker 2: It's been a while.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, mister McLeod. I love your third base rankings, particularly because you got some differences with the NFC or the ADPs of where they're going. But before we do third base, tell me your thoughts on how you were approaching third base. I know when you did your first couple of drafts you had an opinion. Has that opinion changed, has it been refined? Tell us how you're how you're approaching third base this season.
Speaker 2: Well, there's only so many holes you can fill with early picks, okay, And when I look at third base, am I going to pass on Jose Ramirez or Junior Caminero, Michael Garca. Am I going to pass on those guys? No, of course I'm not. I'm not going to move them down my list. I'm going to take them as elite players because they are okay, But when in doubt, I'm going to look at third base as one of the positions that I'm going to move down my list as a player in my team build. I think there are players at third base that you can get later on in drafts that can provide good value and good opportunities, and I'll try and take advantage of those opportunities and focus on the first five to eight rounds at filling the outfield, getting a first base type, a good relief pitcher. So you got to push something down. So in my case, I'm going to be pushing down third base and looking at that middle deal cheer and potential bargains.
Speaker 1: I don't think we've seen this in a while, that there's two Jose Ramirez and Junior caman Era, two third basements going in the first round.
Speaker 2: No, and they're both deserving. Yeah, hey Jose Ramirez. Yeah. Five consecutive twenty twenty seasons, the last two have been thirty thirty. Cavin Arrow is barely out of his teams. He's with twenty two and he's hitting forty five home runs. Like, Yeah, they're both great players and they deserve to be first round talents.
Speaker 1: Mike Mike Caveatica with with Jose Ramirez, it's he's The data says that he is aging. I don't know when the when the downfalls at the right word, when the things are going to start to fall off. We haven't seen it much at all, but the data does not look good underneath all of him. So I'll just throw that out there if you if you ADP's five point twenty six, totally get it. I'm not going to take him to me. I don't want to be holding the bag when Poser Ramirez all of a sudden that four hundred foot home run turns into three seventy and it's caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we the natural oh what's the natural decline will occur? Yep. He's getting older each and every year. Am I predicting this year he's going to fall off the fall off the table. No, I don't think he can. But at the same point in time, I agree with you. Being cognizant. Cognizant of the fact that he is getting he is getting older. I don't I highly dote he will be on any of my teams this year because I'll want to focus in other areas.
Speaker 1: If you haven't been a Dynasty League team, I would be selling that's the guy.
Speaker 2: It's a right time. Yeah, much the same as the approach we took in Deal five movie Mike Trow we did. We probably moved a year a year early on Troe, but a year early in a Dynasty League makes all the difference in the world. That's compared to moving a year late. Huge difference.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. Jose Ramirez. Few guys hit as well as he does. The powers is not what it used to be. It's all leverage home run pop. So just I'm just telling you that the data looks like he is five foot eight and thirty three years old. So gonna go to the Hall of Fame along with Jose Altuving going to be two of the smallest players to have kind of put up numbers like they did. It's going to be really impressive.
Speaker 2: They've both beaten the odds in a big way and.
Speaker 1: A big way. Totally agree. So one two is Hasiramia Junior Camanera. I love Tim's comment on Junior Camerania. It's forty five home runs. I mean, as a teenager, twenty year old, that's he's gonna Would you be surprised if he leads the league for the next five years and home runs.
Speaker 2: Not at all? And you yeah, you say, okay, yeah, But he's moving out of that little bandbox and George Brooks, you know, Steinbrenner Stadium. He's moving from Steinbrenner to a real park. And take a look to take a look at the spray chart and take a look where that balls are landing. I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.
Speaker 1: Jassm comes in at number three. Times filing scene the light with Michel Garcia coming in at number four, Manny Machado five, George Jordan Westbrook at six, Austin Riley drops down to seven, Uhenio soars at eight, Alex Bredman at nine. Let's do the first nine and then we'll take a break. Talk about number ten for an entire segment.
Speaker 2: But well well played, well played.
Speaker 1: I mean, I I don't know what to say here. I mean, MIKEL Garcia is look, it was all sitting there he's not as fast as we think he is, but there's more there's more juice in the in the bat too. I think this is a very good player, and good on him for learning to be more patient at the plate.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing I like about Garcia is I looked at his spray turned okay, and you tell you it's pretty well to all fields, but there is like this little horseshoe halo, you know, the diamond at the warning track the shows where all of these balls are landing. Okay. Well, they're moving the fences in at Kauflin and I've seen some of the projections, you know, boost his home runs by one or two. I think in the case of Mike tell Garcia, I think it's going to boost his home runs by more than one or two moving those fences in, and I wouldn't I wouldn't be at all shocked if we see five seven more home runs out of Garcia this year because of those fences coming in. And that's why I've been considerably more aggressive than the nfbcquol uh you know, they they've got him at six. I think the fences will make a difference, and I think just the natural evolution of his game. He's he's young still, Okay, I'm expecting good things from Mike Bilgercia this year, really good things.
Speaker 1: So to add and just push back just to Smitch ever so small it is. It is pool site power right. His spray short shows everything going off to the left field. I'm looking at it right now, and he hits the ball harder than you think. Ninety one point three. Yeah, and last year he's finally started to show, which I've been harping on, a little bit more leverage in a swing. It's only at nine point seven degree, Timmy. If he just starts to add a little bit more leverage with those fences moved in, the power could literally blow up. And you could You people think I'm crazy. You could see a thirty home run guy sitting there.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're crazy, No, not at all, or at least not for that point. Sorry, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: True if you give a shot of.
Speaker 2: That right well, yeah, exactly. Yeah. It's not time for a group hug yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's like how Garcia. I think, Tim good to see Tim see they're like Manny Machado. Oh but still you know you got him dann one from where the NFC is going. But still solid though.
Speaker 2: See yeah, yeah, it's a lot I you know, I started looking at the numbers and yeah, the last season where he didn't hit twenty five home runs, it's twenty fourteen. That's like eleven, twelve years ago. Like mans, he's a great talent. I have no problems at all. If you decide to look at Manny, Machado is as your your choice between him and Garcia, and Machado is a fine player, a consistently strong producer.
Speaker 1: Really he is going though in the third round, and given his age, it does feel a little high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again everybody looks and says, well, yeah, but he's hit twenty five home runs every every year for the past ten years. Okay, he's only what thirty two. I think he's still fairly young for that because he got started when he was like seventeen or what he was. You know, he was very very young when he came into the game.
Speaker 1: He was an when he first played, coming out at third base for the Ools, move to shortstop for a while and then back to third base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back to third base. Yeah, he's a good player, and there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: I like your aggressiveness on Jordan Westburg. He was one of my targets the last couple of years. It's another target for me this season. I think he can stay healthy again, hits the ball hard. I like the upside of Jordan Westburg.
Speaker 2: As do I. You know he's going to stay healthy. Okay, he didn't last year, but you know, a little bit more than what half a season we saw some hit seventeen home runs. Okay. I just believe right now a little bit more in Westburgh than I do Riley, Suarez and Bregman, and I've moved Westburg up to reflect that. Right now, we're looking at Westburg as a ninth round investment. Yeah. I like that in the ninth round. I like it a lot Richard, Austin Riley.
Speaker 1: A little down on Austin Riley and from Thames right up, it seems more you're worried about him staying healthy. He's still hit the ball really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what he could He could be a top three player at third base if he can return to the six hundred bad days of twenty twenty one to twenty twenty three, where he's hitting thirty thirty five to forty home runs every year and driving in one hundred plus. Yeah, that could happen right now. I just after the past two years in the miss time, I'm a little bit concerned. And hey, you'd be right in saying I could be concerned about Westbrook two all of these players, there are areas where we can be concerned. But it doesn't mean they don't have potential. I'm just believing a little bit more in one as compared to the other.
Speaker 1: YEP, agreed, And that Alex Bregman at number nine. Is it fair to say boring old Alex Bregman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is. You look at the numbers and yeah, I low twenties home run power, the hit tool is great. The only thing that I would recommend is don't overpay for the move to Chicago. And he is getting up there a little bit. He's what thirty two.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, why would you even think consider overpaying for the move to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Because I'm a fan of the Cubs and he's going to hit thirty runs, driving one hundred and ten, he's going to steal fifteen, you know what I mean. Alex Baggan, I think is defined as who he is the move to Chicago doesn't really help him. Yeah, it doesn't. Yeah, so he's an OK pick, but he's no number ten type pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agreed, Timmy, take a break, come back and let's talk, shall we.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm ready to hear that zero zero into the background.
Speaker 1: A ready, so irying to take a little break, little potty break. So we're good to go. So, Timmy, we're going through your top ten. We did top nine and sitting at number ten Kasimu Okamoto. He is ranked twenty six ADP, third BA off the board. You have him at ten, ADP is three point thirty four point four five round twenty three, and you're telling people to essentially take him and round ten eleven.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that he is going to earn the number ten spot in production this year. But am I telling you to take him in round ten? No? I. What I'm I'm telling you is that I think he is going to be a very good player and his levels of production are going to warrant a pick as high as that. Right. Well, the NFBC rank is twenty six. If you go to the past couple of weeks, it's now moved to eighteen. Okay, his ADP at three thirty four, I believes in the two forty range. So we've already seen a correction which we knew was going to happen. So even though I am considerably higher than the NFBC, I'm not as hot as current. Look at the NFBC. This starting to be a little up there. If you can get him, if you can get him, You're not gonna get him at three thirty four. Okay, you're gonna You're gonna have to look right now at probably somewhere in the fifteenth to eighteenth round. I'm saying he's going to earn ten. He's going to be the tenth best producer at third base this year.
Speaker 1: Oh right, over under twenty twenty two home runs over over under twenty six home runs over. Wow, Tim's allen, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is probably the boldest I think I have ever been, and I've been bowled on some Asian players before, but I think he's going to be a twenty seven to ninety with a high OVP, solid batting average type player. I think he's going to be at the end of the year. I could see him moving up as high as possibly sixty seven on this list. He's a he's a good player that a lot of people are ignoring because of a player called MURKAMMI, and I don't I think I think they're going to be proven wrong. I'm all in, well all in.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm all in. But I took him on my NFC team, and I took him exclusively. The sole reason I took him was because of this. So uh, I'm not only I'm not only a partner with him. I am a fan, so I'm also rounding.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are? What round did you? What round did you pick him? In? Rich?
Speaker 1: Good question. Let me go to the draft board here, Okamoto Oko? Something you saying? Okamoto?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 1: Seven seventeen.
Speaker 2: Steele steal yep.
Speaker 1: I got very shortly after after he signed with the Blue Jays, so yeah, I also yeah, no, I also drafted Haystan Kim too, So that didn't work out for me.
Speaker 2: No, No, damn Dodgers in their spending ways. Eh.
Speaker 1: I got him a but twenty six round, so it was but just a reserve pick. But I was hoping to see more. But that didn't. That didn't work out. Okay, Let's let's do eleven through twenty here we got novel Marte, Matt Chapman, Addison Barger, Jose Cavalerio, Alec Baum, Max Munsey, Miguel Vargas, Royce Lewis, Caleb Durban and Marcel oh Mayor because of your love for Okamoto, Marte, Chapman and Barger go down. Do you think we're finally gonna see a a step up with Marte?
Speaker 2: I think it's all I think. I think it's all set up where yes, we are, but there are still questions about there's still playing time questions there. And although he did have a great basically half a season, fourteen home runs, ten stolen bases, I'm not one hundred percent sold on Marte, even though everything is set up for success. Does that make sense? Yes, yeah, it's yeah. I And again when because of that, I moved him, I've moved him down basically a slot. Matt Chapman. I think Matt Chapin's a fine pick. You know, he said twenty seven homers, three of the past five. I think he's relatively a safe pick. Marte, there's risk, and Barger there's risk, but there's also considerable upsize. I believe in the power game of Madison bargers. So those three, yeah, I I like them, but I don't know if I like them enough to to invest that they're going rate.
Speaker 1: My guy here, if you wait, my guy is Matt Chapman. I think he's boring, but the data's great on this guy. He hits the ball hard, he's faster than you think. I think it's just look, it's a boring twenty five arm runs and you know, some stolen bases and a guy that's never going to light it up from a hitting standpoint, but enough that I don't think he's going to hurt you. And again, if you decide not to partake in one of the big guys, I just think he's a nice, little safe guy that you can then come back and maybe get somebody with some upside later on in case you want to upgrade potentially down with Chapman's. That's how I like to play third base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's perfect with buying. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Jose Cavallero, the Pennsylan fifty stolen bases, Okay, yeah, if hey, if you're looking at a situation where you need the speed, there's nothing wrong with that. Pick in the mid teen rounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the one of the big impediments for Jose Cavallero got off the board. I was really worried until Boba Schett signed it. It does appear like the Yankees are just not playing in this year's free agency. I'm not sure why not. I'm not a huge Yankee fans. I've been followed that closely. But it does appear they're going to go with Jose Cavallero until my Anthony Volpi is ready. That's the way it looks to me.
Speaker 2: And if I strongly believe that if Cavallero plays well, Anthony Volpi might not come back to a full time job, I'm not convinced that that be the case. Yeah. So again, Hey, if you're looking for speed, I think the floor is reasonably safe with Cavallero.
Speaker 1: Even if bolt Be comes back June first, that's two months of Cavallero, and that's fifteen stolen bases, maybe twenty stolen base Yeah, this first thing, it's just just money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is just money in the bank, those stolen bases. Ye, agreed, Alec Baum.
Speaker 1: You like Alec Baum a lot. He's going as a twenty second guy off the board, he's you've got him at number fifteen. I do worry about Bam. The data actually looks reasonably good on this guy. He was not one of my targets, but he came close. I do like Aiden Miller as potentially getting the call and maybe taking of a little third base there. So that's my thought on why I would not get too excited about alcoholm But the data does look solid on this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you mean you got Trey Turner and Shoreburn Harber hitting ahead of you. You know, I'm not suggesting that Alex Bowman is a twenty five home run bat He's not. I think he's fifteen home run twelve to fifteen. But the batting average should be solid and the RBI opportunities. I pencil in a floor of eighty eighty to eighty five, so the RBI should be there.
Speaker 1: Thegul vargas a little bit higher on him than most at the White Sox. Kind of strange to see a White Sox guy surging in a poll.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, you look at what he did last year, okay, and sixteen homers sixty are sixty RBIs okay, he scored eighty runs. He's not in danger of losing playing dying to anybody. And he's young enough, I think we could see a little bit better. I feel reasonably comfortable in Miguel Berg. It's moving him up if he goes twenty home runs and up to the RBIs to seventy five to eighty to go along with the run scored. This pretty good player and a player that, even though he's being drafted further down the list, one that I feel relatively comfortable with as compared to say Royce Lewis, who can't stay on the field. Yeah, he actually didn't have He.
Speaker 1: Actually didn't have a very good season last year either. Last I looked from what he did in terms of what he has done in such a limited number of at bats in previous seasons. It was not a good showing by Royce Lewis last year.
Speaker 2: No, and he broke the three hundred of batmark, but not by a whole heck of a lot. I just I don't feel confident some one of these years Royce Lewis is going to get in five hundred and fifty at bats and his forty home runs, possibly if he's not too beat up at the stage of his career. The potential is still there, but he's not a player that I'm endeared to, not in any stretching imagination, because I think for every one good year he has, he could have three four bad. I'm I'll weigh out the odds and say I'll look elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Rich sprint speed's at thirty four percent ex of velocities at eighty nine point eight, so solid power, below average speed, below average contact skills. Be careful, yep, I agree, risk Evan Marcela Mayor. You've got him fourteen higher than when he's going in the NFBC. You have you have any reasons.
Speaker 2: Why substance abuse.
Speaker 1: I didn't think you were that high on him, but I guess you just liked them a little bit better than Murakami and Esac. Parade is an Ernie Clement, Josh Smith, etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Basically, when you look at Mayor, his ADP's five twenty one, I would rather have Mayor than a commie Paradis Clement, Josh Smith, the whole group after him, Connor Norby. There's upside there, Okay, when you get down into you know, twenty moving moving down the ladder, do you want to you want a head for the for the upside potential or do you want to take Ernie Clement or Connor Norby or Ryan McMahon. Now I would rather, I would rather.
Speaker 1: Ryan McMahon is the guy you want. What's your next question?
Speaker 2: I would rather gamble. There was so little blue okay on his whiff whiff and strakeout rates. I had to pull a magnifying glass oh to see it. But no, I I want I'll take my chances on the upside. I don't think he's gonna be looking over his shoulder, and I think that I think he'll learn that uh that twenty ranking come yere in.
Speaker 1: Wow, we'll see. I mean he just said he just may or just just did not play well, So I'll be right. I do hm in a couple of dynastas legues, maybe one. I think I traded them. So after that bit of a hot set. Now Mirror Comedy's at twenty one. Look, you've been on records saying you like the player, you're worried about how much he's going to strike out, and then I think over time. I don't know if it's because it's now the White Sox just we haven't talked about this, but my sense is you're getting more negative on him every week.
Speaker 2: I don't think it. I don't think it's more negative. I'm just being more vocal about by negativity. Yeah, it's I think what you're looking at is a Kyle Schwarber's skill set, Okay, And I gotta admit when I read this, I thought, damn, that's got to be about the harshest I think I've ever been on a former player coming out of Japan. But if you want the Kyle Schwarber skill set, just pay for Kyle Schwarber. Remove the dotus to the outcome. I think he's going to have problems with high heat. I think he's going to be very streaky, as he has been in Japan. Yeah, he could hit forty home runs, but it could be a companied with a one nine ninety five batting average and a three forty OVP. I just be careful that he's not going to be in my plans this year. I think Okamoto is a far I think he's a far better and more polished all round player, and that has my attention at a bargain basement prices compared to America. Now, when I look at the past fifteen days or so, Mura Kakami is still ahead of Okamoto, but it's only by two rounds, so there's been a huge correction in both those players.
Speaker 1: I am in the process of doing our first year player first year player rankings, and I have ranked my international guys, including the Japanese players for dynasty leagues. Tim where would you would you take first? Murakami likee younger than Okamoto or still Okamoto in a dynasty.
Speaker 2: League, still Okamoto Okamoa's twenty nine if you.
Speaker 1: A wide margin or shallow margin.
Speaker 2: Fairly wide personally, because I don't want the risk, Hey, he's going to strike out a tone. I don't want to assume he could be he could be Joey Gallo. I don't want to take that risk. Okamoto will not be Joey Gallo. And most dynasty leagues if you get if you get five years out of a dynasty league, you're doing well. I think Okamoto can play until mid thirties and be a solid producer, so the age doesn't really come into play for me. Now. If Americami was twenty two, that would be you know, that would affect things a little differently. But I think you can get four to five years out of Okomotive, So I'm the dynasty factor I'm treating I would be treating him much the same as I wouldn't read draft like, how many players do you look at for more than three to five years in the Dynasty League. It's not that many, really, I think if you look at the rosters at.
Speaker 1: The end of the day, right, I have Okamoto ranked at one sixty three and I have Murakami ranked at two oh three. Well done to narrow, to narrow or just about right.
Speaker 2: I think that's just about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got that.
Speaker 2: In first year, the first year player drafts, I could I could go as high as top three on America on Okomotive, remaining on your team and build and needs. Yeah, in DL five, if we had a top three pick, he'd probably be number three.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've got I got Amaya number three.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would probably have a Maya at one, Anderson at two, and Okamoto with three.
Speaker 1: I got Ethan Holliday at one, Kate Anderson and two, am I at three, and then I've got a bunch of younger players. I got okamotives down probably second round for me just because of the age. But I haven't yet I'm still working on it, so I might move him up a little bit, but I'm struggling with the age twenty nine years old. Where do you put him in and uh from a dynasty league. There's a lot of these guys that might have higher upsite better careers, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's a tough one, Rich because you know what Okamoto can help you for the next three years, Okay, a lot of the players that you're going to be ranking ahead of them might not make the majors for three years, right, So it just depends on Yeah.
Speaker 1: But some of these guys might not ever make the majors as well, so I mean at all. Yeah, Yeah, So I mean that's that's the risk. So I'm looking at this and looking at the players in front of them, and I'm struggling to think how Gavin Fine is going to have a better major league career than Akamoto given the risk.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and again, if Okamoto slides down to the back of the first round, early second round, that means that somebody who finished in the top three, okay in your leagues last year, is going to get a shot at a player that's going to help him right now, that's looking awful good for a top three team, isn't it immediate help out of a first year player draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're not using the first year player draft. The poor teams are picking first, then they're not going to want Lokomotive.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's it's shifts to and that. Yeah, it really benefits the teams that did well last year having a player like him come over because it gives him an opportunity and immediate help. And that's what those last three, you know, for the most part, that's what your teams have finished for second, third, fourth, they want right right to get better. Yeah. Yeah, it's a interesting, tough call.
Speaker 1: Tough call. Let's see, let's take a break and come back and let's start to pop around a little bit. See some guys that's.
Speaker 4: Likes we are covering their based on the top twenty twenty one or so, actually twenty top twenty five.
Speaker 1: You also like Jonathan India higher and rank McMahon well done, and then Matt Charlotte minus sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going I'd love to say I didn't look at Matt Shaw and let me just take a quick look here at the ADPs for the past two weeks to see where matt Shaw is going.
Speaker 1: Well, that is all due to the Alex Bregman signing.
Speaker 2: Well yeah that yeah, he's down to fifteen now in the NFBC. Uh yeah, I've factored the Alex Bregman signing in there. And let's face it, right now, with Moyeses Bellisteros looking at the DH slot, Matt Shaw does not have a place to call home right now. They're looking as Adam as a super subtype option possibly in twenty twenty six. I just put proceed with caution. How you rank a player fairly high who doesn't have a position to play.
Speaker 1: In totally grey. We brought that up when signing. But Ballistaiir's better hit or Matt Shaw will get those a lot more of those at bats.
Speaker 2: At D Totally agree, totally agree. But as of right now and today, what do you today? What do you do with Sean Bellistaro's I think the Cubs want Balistarios to succeed. They might move one of their catchers at some point in time to create a you know, further opportunities, but not as of today. It's a tough call. I'd be very very cautious with that whole cub situation right now, and Matt Shaw would not be on my list of players. Yeah, the Beisterios falls enough. Yeah, I some intered Matt Shaw, and I'm just concerned right now.
Speaker 1: I'm Ballistaris is a very interesting guy, because that guy can flat out hit. And if you can hit, you stick in the major leagues. It's if you can't hit, you don't. I mean, it's just not even more common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, they'll find a place for you to play if you can hit, right, they'll work around something and create something, do whatever they have to do to get the bat in the lineup.
Speaker 1: You're you're going to get a shot. And that's why I keep going back to Gavin Lux is not a great player, not a great, terrible fantasy player, but he can hit. Yeah, And guys like that you usually get a chance until they get expensive and then it's no Moss. But and the fact that, yeah, so I just think you have to keep that in consideration. And you've also obviously really down on Mark Fiento's and Brett Battie. In fact, you're just like, I'm not dealing with these guys anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm no, I'm hey, if they're sitting there in the reserve rounds, yeah, I'll toss a dark, but I Am not going to commit a regular roster spot either one of those guys because or have the Mets committed anything to them? Yeah? Maybe you know right now they got baby and his DH, but it could be Biento's, it could be whomever. It's just a mess that I'm going to totally avoid rich.
Speaker 1: Another big off season. The off season moves have really put down Jordan Lawler is now go back to the list tier. Oh yeah, he's down. Uh, where's Jordan Lawler?
Speaker 2: I missed forty seven forty seven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me just type in low. Yeah, he's down sixteen slots. Yeah, and that and that's because of the Aeronauta trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not high on Aeronato. I've gone him in thirty. So it's it's not a result of any any big skill set maneuversus the fact that he's got he's gotta find a home and the outfield looks like you get and he doesn't have much on his resume for oatfields. So yeah, they've.
Speaker 1: Already they've already locked in the Nolan Aernado bobblehead day. They're all they're already uh digitally printed to me. They're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and yeah, as much the same as Carlos Korea. I am fairly down on Korea. But I don't know, is there any reason to be up on Carlos's career.
Speaker 1: I think he's got power, and I think he can hit. Yeah, it's just a boring guy that he hasn't He hasn't shown much power of the last couple of years, and he gets hurt all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, last year, in five hundred and thirty seven at bats, he hit thirteen home runs, drove in fifty two. He hasn't stolen a base since twenty nineteen, and that total in twenty nineteen was one. Okay, yeah, he can still hit, but what do you want for power? The power numbers, he doesn't run. It's just it's not a player that if I'm looking at Carlos career on one of my teams, it must be because I have multiple shares on that same team of Matt Shaw and Brett Batty.
Speaker 1: I have forgotten why what's your love again? For Jose Tina, who I was all on a couple of years ago. But it feels like the Nationals just hate Jose Tana. Why is why do you still hold out hope that he's going to get a job at.
Speaker 2: Some point Brady House?
Speaker 1: You don't, You don't believe in Brady House at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I've got hosts ranked higher. But who's backing up Brady House. It's got to be Tinia. So I think there's I believe there's more of an opportunity for Hose eighteen to end up with regular at bats than there is at Mendosuser or have your bias or Christian And there's there's a lot in there not to like, but there is still something I think too like with Hose eighteen.
Speaker 1: Ronnie Marisa has dropped, how your bias has dropped? All that makes total sense? And you're up a little higher on Graham Paulie, we're trying to convince me to grab him in our last uh last look into my draft. By the way, the password got taken a couple of slots after I took Ben Joyce, So my dream of the password is is shattered.
Speaker 2: Tim, Yes, you'll get an extra two years on your spell check, so yes, all right, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the heart, let's go to the hard questions. And it's me okomotive because you are in the top ten. Because we've talked enough about that. Give me a player that drops out of the top ten and a player that falls that rises into the top ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, Eugenio Suarez drops out of the top ten.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Well, he still has a signed he's thirty five years old. He can he can hit forty home runs. But you know, if Westberg and Riley are healthy, I don't see any problems in the top five. So you're looking at a choice between Suarez, Bregman, Gregman. Sure, uh, those are the two that I would think could fall are those two players for is in Bragman and replacing them? Oh Murakami, Yeah, heybe it's forty home runs. Yeah, if he's forty home runs, I'll go I'm gonna go to me.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go on the limbit. It might be time to tap out. Say it's been a good run because you have trash.
Speaker 2: Murakami, Yeah, I have. I'm not If he's not gonna be on my Christmas card list, that's not gonna happen. I'm gonna go with a couple of the younger I'm gonna go with calib Durban possibly moving up.
Speaker 1: Oh my lord, do you got to explain yourself on that one. Oh?
Speaker 2: I think the hit tool combined with the speed and ten to twelve home runs decent runs scored. Yeah, I you know McGill Vargus could move up into the into the top ten if he it's twenty five home runs. I got to look at upside players if I'm looking at moving into that top ten, And yeah, guys like Durwan Marcella may Or what happens if he gets out of the gate strong and plays to his potential? Could he be a top ten player? Yeah. The guys that i'd stay away fromm would be Cavallero, Alex Bohm, Max Muncy. I think they'll be okay players, but I don't see them taking that next step per se. I don't think Matt. I think Matt Chapman is who he is. Noelvi Marte and as in Barger, they could both move into the top ten if they hit me on ba Barger it's twenty five to thirty home runs, which I don't think can be ruled out. The problem with Barger is the pressure on the batting average.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: He likes. He likes a lot just about everything thrown at him. So again there's there's risk risk in the batting average category with Bargers.
Speaker 1: So I as, yeah, the guy that's going to come into the top ten or come into the fifteen twenty. The person who's going to that's going to make noises not on your list yet. I think it's either I think it's a JJ Weatherholt. I think it's a potential Aiden Miller maybe yeah, maybe the Sebastian Walcott. I think it's something maybe Jet Williams. Mass probably gonna move to the outfield. I think it's one of those guys that are going to come in at a different position, take over third base and blow up.
Speaker 2: No problems with that at all, none whatsoever, because there are going to be there are going to be shorts top eligible players who are going to find their way to the third base list next year. Definitely, yep.
Speaker 1: And I'm just taking a look at your I mean your top ten. I mean it's hard to say any of those guys are going to drop outside of you, Ino Swarz and Alex Pregnant, But the top of the list. I mean, Ramirez would have to have such an awful season to drop out ten, and Junior Kim just not going to happen. Maybe Mguel Garcia falls back to earth a little bit, but he's still probably is a top ten guy. Yeah, I just yeah, I mean I think those guys are are pretty much locked in there.
Speaker 2: Same with Manny Mitrago. He has a bad year and he hits twenty five home runs and drives in eighty five, He's still going to be a top ten player at third base next year. The year after that might change, but not next year.
Speaker 1: If Austin Riley has a repeat of twenty twenty five, yeah he'll drop out of the top ten. But the data says, as long as he's healthy, he's going to be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, data says the same thing with Westburg, right, yes, exactly, Yeah, so yeah it it would take another season of three hundred at bats from both of those guys. Yeah, and I agree they could fall into the top ten.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, totally agree. All right, Timmy, give me a sleeper.
Speaker 2: Two US sleeper too. Well, we've already discussed number ten at nauseum uh kamoo.
Speaker 1: I hope you're right. Again. I'm all in, Timmy, I have them. I'm excited, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's you're welcome. Here's five players I like Okamoto and I put them in my opening narrative, Addison Barger, Miguel Vargas, Calub Durban and Marcella Mayor. Hopefully I end up with one, possibly two of those players, one from my corner infield slot come draft day. Those are the guys I had. Those are the guys said I'm liking because of the upside potential.
Speaker 1: Boy, the one I keep going back to Marcela Mayor, I mean, he was so bad. I mean I've been to Moors a Mayor defender for a while, man, but he was so bad last season. I hope you're right. I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: Well, when you look at do I want to take a chance Ad Meyer over he's that greatest, Ernie Clement, Josh Smith, Connor Norby. Yeah, I do want to take that chance. I think the rewards could be such that they're worthwhile.
Speaker 1: Time will tell the thing about Mayor, and again he's only twenty three. So the thing that Bob I thought he'd hit more and he just there was a lot of chase and a lot of swing and missing his game. He walked six percent of the time. I just I was disappointed in that. I mean, he hit the ball reasonably hard, average sprint speed, but I thought he'd be able to control the strike someone better than he did. So I'm hoping again. It was only one hundred and thirty six plaint appearances, and hopefully it'll be better. And he he's penciled in to be the starting third basement.
Speaker 2: He's got the job to start the season. It's in his hands as far as as the future, and I hope and believe he's going to take and prove to be at least an OK type player, one representative of the twenty to twenty five group at his position.
Speaker 1: Excellent stuff, mister mcclell. Let's take a let's take our final break it back, and let's Tim wrap up third base and find out what he's on for dinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a gem.
Speaker 1: I have so many favorite podcasts that we do, one of which is not our handle draft, but I know people like that love our positional drafts. Probably my favorite position is outfield. We haven't done that yet, and that'll be in a couple of weeks. I love doing the outfield, but these are my favorite segments. I always love the fantasy questions of the blank division. I always like those, but I just I love our breakdown going into the season. He does such a good job, and it's it's always thought provoking. Your your the rankings are thoughtful. I can never trip you up on you not have done the research, you know, and I think that's really that says a lot. You're not always right, and I've said that a book better better be right.
Speaker 2: But but I mean, there's rationale behind the decision making exactly, and.
Speaker 1: That's what that's all people can ask for, is that you've got sound reasoning behind your positions on each of the different players, and how it turns out is how it turns out. And then if you're wrong, then Tim will rethink his logic and uh do that. But it's it's very thoughtful stuff. And I think that's why I like these shows so much, because I like to like to see how you're thinking and uh and help our listeners figure that out too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hey, there's nothing wrong with stimulating a good discussion, is there? For sure? Absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: What's what's your find?
Speaker 2: So I I thank you for the I thank you for the kind words appreciation.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, what's your final commonal third base?
Speaker 2: Ah? Well, hey, am I going to pass on Junior Kaminara or Jose Ramire or Jose Ramirez? I might because he's going out early Kamanara. No, I really think that MIKEL. Garcy is going to move it to another another year this year, I really do. My position on third base is I'm not there's enough players I like later on and there's enough players I like more or more players that will help me. I believe in my overall team build. At other positions, I'm pushing third base down. You got to push something down. You can't have it all. That just doesn't work. And I I think there's more value in a high, high round outfielder than there is in the at the third base position. So third base is a position that I'm gonna look for, definitely middle ground, and I think there's some good options there.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say that one of our listeners, you're playing in the league with one of our listeners and he sees O Komotive and takes them early, and you find yourself if you've got my spreadsheet, up. You find yourself in the tenth round, Timmy, without a third basement. So looking in the round column, which player do you go with?
Speaker 2: H What do I go with? Looking at the round column? Oh, Miguel Vargas. I'll wait another three four rounds and then I'll make a move on Miguel Barb Vargas Orchie calub Durban. They're all in the lateeen rounds right now. I can live with Alex Bowman the eighteenth round. I think it's eighty ninety RBIs there a decent bad average? You's not going to hurt me. There's plenty of options in that range of round fifteen through to twenty two twenty three. Yeah, I'm not concerned. I'm going to get somebody that's going to provide value. Maybe not o Komodo value, but value.
Speaker 1: All right, Timmy, what's what's for dinner? My friend?
Speaker 2: What's for dinner? Well? I opened up the fridge and the old jaw hit the ground because something I've been asking for for a long time was sitting in there, deep roasting. Jody one our legion. Once a month they have what they call a meat draw. It's a raffle, okay, and it's basically a fifty to fifty thing. It's a fundraiser for them, and the winner gets a box full of meat and it's usually good meat. Then the legion gets fifty percent of it. And Joey won at last fall, and included in that is about a seven pound prime river.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely monstrous. And I saw this thing sitting in the in the fridge this morning and I started foaming at the mouth and drooling. Okay, Jody, of course I thought it was because you know, she's in the same host as me, you know, But anyhow, it was the primera Jody. It was that her head. Yeah, I look at look and I say, uh, but we're having we're having prime so and lots.
Speaker 1: Of it's a medium rare, I'm.
Speaker 2: Assuming, right, medium rare. That's it.
Speaker 1: Cooking it in the oven.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Awesome, sounds great. I'm jealousy, Yeah, I'm jealous. I haven't a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a long time for me. I haven't had anything that looks like steak in a long time. Every time I go through the grocery store, I decide whether or not I can sell a kid to get a steak.
Speaker 1: And crazy how expensive it is insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is. So what are you doing for supper tonight?
Speaker 1: So Laurie's been ill all week, so I've been cooking, so it's it's it's not been good.
Speaker 2: So chickens chicken soup.
Speaker 1: Uh. I think she's she's gotta went out got her chicken soup yesterday, so she might have that. I've got leftovers. We have a chicken stuffed chicken breast, so we might have that, which is good. Yeah, And I think I got a couple of pieces of pizza. We had pizza yesterday, so I might I might do that. So it's just it's Sundays are always leftovers for us. So right, so that's that's what it is for me.
Speaker 2: So well, I just told is feeling better soon?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Me too, me too. I need to we need to eat better.
Speaker 2: Well, well played, Well.
Speaker 1: I got we have a there's a chain grocery store around and the States called Wegmans, and it's not too many different places. It's very very high end food, uh, particularly the prepared prepared section. So it's not it's it's literally it's they will make a salmon and have it already and all you have to do is put it in the oven for thirty minutes to give you exact cooking instruction. So it's it's like those uh in fact, those factor meals. So we we've advertised those on our show before, and it's it's it's like you get those that are really nice quality and you literally either microwaven or turn the oven on. And so I usually go there and fill phil when I when I have responsible and fill it up. Unfortunately, we've eaten them all, so.
Speaker 2: Well, how can you go wrong? You pay in extra ten bucks, you get guaranteed success, and you don't have four feet of dishes to weed through in the kitchen. It sounds perfect to me.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's yeah, you do premium, but I mean i mean like like they have this vegetable tray of food. It's it's like it's an individual maybe two can eat it and it's delicious. I mean it costs six bucks. I mean I'm like, I'm gonna everything's like shredded and cut up, and I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, you're taking a chance on losing a finger for six.
Speaker 1: Bucks, So I go get it six bucks. Butt in the oven.
Speaker 2: Done exactly. Good choice, good choice, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, my friend. We will talk to you next week where we're I guess we're back to finishing up our fantasy questions of Ashle League West or American League West or something starting to get The draft should be coming up for people soon, So it's it's getting to be that time.
Speaker 2: It most certainly, it most certainly is, and looking forward to it. Be safe, be well, and we'll catch you next week. Rich