Speaker 1: Welcome to the first episode of Super League three sixty. My name is Lee Addison, what's yours.
Speaker 2: My name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: We're back, John, we got rid of us.
Speaker 2: We had a month off, five weeks.
Speaker 1: Off, not even that, I don't think we did the Ashes Rugby League podcast and you can you can still if you're listening to the Actually Rugby League podcast and thinking this isn't the Ashes. We're making it available on the Ashes Rugby League podcast platform. But Super League three sixty obviously, John is a British rugby league lean, isn't it, and more specifically super League. But such as the nature of the sport in England, mate, we could end up in all sorts of directions, couldn't we, including lower leagues and international and political?
Speaker 2: We could, Yes, lots of segues to many different issues, and anyone who follows super League it's pretty linked closely with the NR on Vice FIRSTA these days, particularly in terms of takeout overs and player transfers and everything else.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, well we'll we'll dedicate we'll dedicate some time each week to touch on the NRL and each week there'll be a special analysis segment from myself and that will have its own clip on YouTube as well, So for those listening on the platforms, the various platforms, I'll put it at the end of the podcast so that if it doesn't make sense to you, you can you can watch the clip individually on YouTube. Today the clip doesn't include any Super League footage. It's got Ashes footage and a few other historical bits. But in the future we're going to do plenty of Super League content and I'm really keen. I'm really keen to study. Okay, are actually ahead of the World Club Challenge? John John's an intrepid scribe who will no doubt get us some interviews over the course of the next however long this podcast last. When when when do you think you'll be able to do that? When will they be in the mood for it? Do you think?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a good question. I'm actually trying to tea up some so many of these this week. And it's funny you mentioned whole K because I was in touch with them about going into training at some point before Christmas. Actually some hole kre content.
Speaker 1: I think Willie Peters in New York or something.
Speaker 2: So they're in full swing of pre season and lovely cold hole.
Speaker 1: Now on the Rugby League Coach podcast, which I host. I've been asking for a water sponsor for at least two years and I finally got one because as you know, I'm always drinking water aroun'd or this.
Speaker 2: Or a pint drink with forty eight water bottles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and because I often record in the morning, well well, well it's your evening. Because you're a Australian in England. I have coffee as well, So I think the sponsorship opportunities for this podcast right. So I've been sponsored by Global League Network for the Rugby League Coach podcast and I'm going to give them a shout out on this one as well, just to show people what what what exposure they can get if they if they sponsor my water consumption. I drink about six liters a day, which some people think is bad for you, but I'm a big unit mate, So there is global water, a lot of cells and muscles and everything to populate. That's it. That's it, that's it. I'm an Englishman as coach at MRL clubs and stuff, and I've lived in Australia a long time. What are you, John, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Journalist of twenty years experience and right for numerous regular publications are The League Express and others.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you said thirteen the other week. Did you count every week as a year?
Speaker 2: No, I've been living in the UK for thirteen years.
Speaker 1: My apologize. Just now we're nearly at the end of the longest introduction ever. I am at Rugby League Coach dot com to say you at Rugby League Coach on socials and like I said, I hope a host of the Rugby League Coach podcast. Where can people get you?
Speaker 2: John? You can get me on Exit Johnny d Davidson. They can get me on Facebook at John Davidson Journalist and on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com long Reads.
Speaker 1: Now different to other podcasts. We're going to have sections on this and we can even have a sponsor for the section. The first section is called key Stories. There's been a bit of signing, retention and release news in the UK lately, hasn't they? The David Klemmer, Jackson Hastings, Newman, those three that spring to mind. Yeah, yeah, a bit of a surprise, probably, well, probably all three a bit of a surprise really.
Speaker 2: I think the Jackson Hastings one is interesting because obviously I don't even know if he played first grade in Newcastle this year.
Speaker 1: A little bit at the Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's been on the hour at the Nights for Ages. I think he was linked with Leeds a while ago. But I mean he has been sort of kicked out of a lot of clubs, you know, not gone on with teammates and a lot of clubs, so it was sort of an unwanted property in the NRL and it was sort of surprising to see. Obviously Sint Helens didn't need a half back and he's he's a talented half back, but it's surprising to see them sign him. Also a former Wigan player, so you don't usually see that many ex Wigan players go to Saint Helens or vice versa because it is the oldest riberry in rugby league. But I think Paul Rowley had the association when he was on the staff at Salford. It'll be interesting to see how that one goes. And then obviously David Klemer winding down his career, you would say, uh, you know, obviously moved on from Newcastle and moved on from the Tigers, and then I think it was at the Dragons wasn't he, So yeah, they need some impact in a full pack. But yeah, another one. You you wonder how that's going to go, how much is left in the legs. But obviously, you know he's had a great career origin Australia, et cetera. Yeah, an old school front row, shall we say, with the foreign Broomstone.
Speaker 1: You did a tweet about Bradford signing, didn't you, who's not played that much?
Speaker 2: Yes, to have I mean it was Ryan Sutton and I wasn't. I mean context is everything, and I wasn't actually poking. I wasn't having a go at Bradford or Ryan Sutton. Obviously he's had a lot of injury problems and I don't think I can't remember the exact stats. He's not played many games. I think he only played a handful of reserve grade games last year and all through this year and the year before that. Not many NRL games before that. So it's an interesting signing by Bradford. You know, obviously he's one Grand finals I think at Wigan. But yeah, a lot of Bradford fans are unhappy about it, and John Bateman had to pop at me as well. But I think as I said, contact is everything. When you're looking for players in what November October, there's not many players. What people forget that the only players generally available this time are players that no club wants or they've been packed for some sort of off field controversy, which is obviously not any of the players that we just mentioned, but I mean in terms of the off field controversy. But yeah, they're unwanted because most players make decisions on their future nine to ten months in advance, and probably so people forget that. So it is very hard for Bradford, for York for to lose, to be trying to build squads for Super League with you know, four or five months.
Speaker 1: Notice and half the budget. Well Bradford don't have a half the budget, but yes, the other two. Yeah, definitely talking of players who've planned ahead of things. Harry Newman going to Perth, what can Perth fans expect?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a real surprising one because I was actually listening to some other podcasts. Apparently he was linked to an ror movie years ago when he kind of burst on the scene. It apparently was South Sydney when Shane Richard Richardson was there. We tried to sign him. Now. He's an interesting one, Harry, very talented attacking center, quickly, quite dynamic, but probably known for not having the best temperamate. You know, gets wound up easily, loses his cool easily. He did play in the Third Test for England against Australian and Ashes most recently. So yeah, it's interesting that Perth. I think a lot of people in super League thought Perth would try and target some and some super League players and this has obviously happened. One of their first signers I think, well, he's obviously not been confirmed, but probably one of the first signings that's actually come out apart from Lindsay Smith. So will you adapt? How will he go? I mean, yeah, some English players do really well in the NROL. People in super League tend to forget the ones that don't do so well, So will Price. You know, Calm Watkins didn't do well. There's lots right, Hall barely played a game. There's lots who failed. There's probably more who failed than thrive, to be honest, and the ones who generally do succeed are props and edge back rowers.
Speaker 1: Magic Weekends going to Everton again. Sorry, we're going to Everton again as a game. Magic Weekend is going there. Are they going to paint the field this time? Lines?
Speaker 2: No? No, we're just who needs lines? It's just like, yeah, I mean, that's another one that I mean only judging by my social media, but a lot of people hate it. Look from the obviously I was there for the second Test. From the media point of view, it's a fantastic stadium, like bright, new, shiny, lovely place in the docks. There's not a huge amount around it. It's a little bit out of the center of Liverpool, but I don't think it's that far. There are a couple of pubs nearby, and people got legs and they can get ubers. Well some people have legs obviously sometimes, but it's a bit It's a great for those who.
Speaker 1: Don't obviously get you get you get your transport book. But Newcastle, from the reporting that's been their Newcastle wanted a bit more money. Everyone was cheaper Everton. Obviously, Liverpool is a lot closer to Wigginson, Helen's, Warrington Lee, et cetera. So look, I think it will be great there. I've already booked my Saturday hotel. I love great Liverpool's a great city as his Newcastle. But yeah, I think it's a I think it's a positive they picked. I can't remember the exact lineup of fixtures, but I think we're going to play in Saint Helen's to end to.
Speaker 2: End on the Sunday. I think the first game might be, off the top of my head, York harders Field. But I think they've got a good mixture.
Speaker 1: Of league playing Bradford, are.
Speaker 2: They I'm not. I'm not one hundred percent sure now I need to check, but look, I think it's good. The interesting thing is though, with Super leg going from twelve to fourteen teams that were going to scrap magic and they didn't want loot fixtures, but then it's been resurrected and it's a little fixture. It's great.
Speaker 1: I think credit where credits due. The Super League of Rugby League Rugby Football League been quite good at leaking stories out in the last few weeks, and I think the L's probably on a bit of a hiatus in that regard. And as you know, Australia tends to shut down somewhat in the summer. I know that the Daily Telegraph, for example, have done their last sport confidential column literally yesterday and they said we're going to have time off till next year. So so Superleg's got a great chance, particularly with the season starting so early as well. What is going on at Salford because they were a Super League side and I think they have had more adjournments than wins this year, so they've had more adjourments of their court case, their money thingy. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they've got another so the d you're back in court on December third, so what is it we're recording on the twenty seventh, well twenty seventh where I am in the twenty eighth where you are of November. But they've got their back in court. Look, I think, to put it lightly, they're buggered as a club. They've got I think we've got an assistant coach. I don't think they've got any players left and I've got about three or four staff. So essentially the pin just needs to be pulled. It's it's amazing how these owners keep getting adjournments because they don't seem to have any money. But effectively there's at least two groups who are looking to take over the club once they go bust. The RFL has kind of shown that they're not going to do anything. They're just going to let the courts ballo it out. But the problem is the championship doesn't start too long, so it's Alford if they you know, if they're reborn as a phoenix club will go on to the championship. So they need to recruit a coach and players. But yeah, there's there's a lot going on there. There's there's a fair bit I can't reveal right as now. I've been chasing a few things up, but I think in the next week or so things were not crystallize in terms of what will happen and what has happened over and the situation with Sulford, I mean, you were a soul forty and eightly. The club's always been well broke might not be the word, but a battler, haven't they even the John even in the John Wilkinson days. I mean John Wilkinson left the club I think in twenty thirteen. I mean he left it in debt.
Speaker 1: It was the classic yo yo club and with Super League for a couple of years and then they've won on championship for a couple of years and had a good Stint was at the seventies. The seventies, Yeah, Brian Snake was the chairman that.
Speaker 2: It was the golden era, and I think from what I've been told, even in the golden era, like the most really our averaging fans was about six ers fans a week.
Speaker 1: It's it's a unique place because Salford Salford. Salford is a city but is seen as a town, so much so that the song dirty Old Town was apparently about Salford, and therefore solf Audiums see Salford as being the motorway that goes past the Trafford Center everything inside that is potentially Salford, even though that's Eckles and then Eccles. But where Salford's ground is right now on the other side of that motorway. Many people will say that's not Salford, even though it's probably classed as the city of Salford. And many people feel that Salford sort of ends just past the whole hospital kind of thing when when you go into Eccles. So some people complain that the club isn't in Salford anymore. Yet those same people didn't really go and watch them when they were in Salford either and you could walk to the ground because you can't really walk to the ground anymore unless you live in Earlham. The the other thing though, where Sulford really benefited in the seventies and again you know it's a shame Anthony Broxton isn't on because he would he would back this up. Salford were one of the first clubs to build a clubhouse at the end of the ground that you can watch the game from and that was the place to be apparently, so half of the Manchester United and Manchester City players used to go there. So so that pumped a load of money into the Rugby League club basically. So and I you know, I did my formative weight training and whatnot in that underneath that clubhouse in the gym because I was a Sulford Academy junior. So so you felt part of the community there. So there's that, there's that side of it too. So but on the flip side of that, because it's so close to Manchester and it always feels like Selfhid is seen as the run of the litter compared to Manchester. You've got these big behemos called Manchester City and Manchester United. And comparatively in the seventies they were bigger still and then ninety two ninety three we came into the Premier League era and Manchester United were at the forefront of that and became a really big global brand and little Load Salt had probably suffered from that too. And you may remember they changed their name to Salford City Reds to try and keep the city naming. And I think they've done so many things wrong over the years. I mean, they've had so many different logos and badges and nicknames and team names, and you know, this doesn't help. It literally doesn't help. If you were to tell if you were to ask what does a Salford Jersey look like? Would be hard pressed to answer. Yeah, yeah, you know. I think if you were to go to Wigan or Hull LEFC and ask that same question, yeah, yeah, right. I know they do variations on it. I do know that, but they are rare putting that way. So they've done so many things wrong in that regard. So you reap what you sew, you reap what you sow, and from my perspective, I think they possibly risked a bit too much a few years ago, Yes, and I think it's gone too far the other way. Sometimes the quickie you go up, the quicker you go down as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think that's fair, and I think the previous administration who handed the club over to the current owners, these two Keywi guys in February, they would admit that they banked on things happening and probably risked a bit because they'd had a great period where they got to the Grown Final twenty nineteen and the Challenge Cup final and twenty twenty and they were a top four, top five team and I thought, well, we'll just you know, we'll risk a bit and the council will back us and we'll stay and you will get sold and we'll get a better deal on you know, revenue from match days. And none of those things happened. And effectively, the crowds of even when they were top fourteen, they're never average. You know, you need to average probably seven or eight thousand fans and make money from those fans, you know, by owning your own stadium like Wakefield do, like Leads do, et cetera. Okay I do, and they don't have that. So there's always been a case of too much money going out and not enough money coming in and it's kind of come to a head. So I think we can we'll touch on this more in future episodes when things crystallize, but there are there's definitely a lot happening.
Speaker 1: With Salford, a lot, not a lot good for Salford fans. When we stop recording. You just told me in England are playing Tongue France in Perth. Yes, and PNG and Warongong in the World Cup. That's been announced.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Martin's Sadler on of League Express has been quite critical of the venue choices and not quite critical giving severe critique. So for example, I don't want to quote him because I can't remember exactly what he said, but he suggested that England playing Tonga in Perth probably benefits England because of the English the ASP in Perth, although there are Tonguan's in Perth too, but there's more I would assume in Sydney, Brisbane, people who.
Speaker 2: Live in Perth of British. I was at the England France game in Perth and twenty seven More Cup and had a lot.
Speaker 1: Of support m H and PNNG in the Gong and again I'm pretty convinced they'll be more English people than Papa New Guineans in Woollongong.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: Assume that this is design for England to have a good chance of getting to the semi finals.
Speaker 2: Lee, if you're the English, you're the coach of England, would you rather play P and G in Port Moresby or on Willan Conga? Well? I think the last time Great Britain or England played P and G was in twenty nineteen when P and G famously upset.
Speaker 1: No No Noll will Cook quarter final. You're right, yeah, point proven.
Speaker 2: I think on their own turf and their own conditions with their own fans, they grow another couple of legs. Look, I think the and it's really interesting considering the IRL dispute for the RFL over four hundred thousand pounds, they're allegitimate is owed to them from the last Walk sorry you're the last Wall Cup, which was in England. They've helped England out because not only do they play Tonga in Perth, they stay in Perth so they're settled. They don't have to either Townsville or Melbourne or christ Church. And they play France in Perth, they're gonna have a nice, you know time in Freemantle and then they fly over to Wollongong the paying P ANDNG, so they've got a massive leg up. It may not you know, it may not work, but they've they've definitely been helped. New Zealand have been helped because there wasn't supposed to be any games in New Zealand. We were told that Australia and Papua New Guinea were hosting this tournament. But they've just thrown a New Zealand group game over in christ Church for the keyways. And then it's interesting with P and G. They've got two pool games in P and G, but then the third one for some reason, they're going to go to Wollongong, so they get some help, but not probably the crucial help they need against England. So it is it is interesting how that's all worked out. On Lebanon have two games in Western Sydney where obviously, uh, you know you've got Arncliff and the camera and areas, there's lots of Lebanese fans, but you know your Tonga aren't playing in Auckland or Risbon. So yeah, it's it's interesting how they've they've worked that out.
Speaker 1: The on the subject of England though and linking our last Ashes Rugby League podcast with with our current one. The silence has been deafening, really, hasn't it in terms of yes, yeah, we got significantly beaten in the Ashes by an Australian third string and in most cases and panic, what panic? Basically how I had to find this.
Speaker 2: I think it's you know, it's quite funny in several ways because there was a bit of naval gazing for a week a few days. There was a bit of outrage, you know, and you had, you know, comments from people like Gary Schofield and Brian Karney and and other people. And then Nigel Would did an interview with the BBC and he said, oh, you know, we'll take a couple of months to review. And to me, it's just they're not going to do anything. Sure Wayne or staying the job, But I mean he's been in the job for five years. I mean we've gone over this. We don't want to go over it again. But he's been the job five years.
Speaker 1: He fouled Little World Cup, he foiled at the Ashes, he got his tactics wrong, he got his selections wrong.
Speaker 2: Why would you keep him in? But the argument from the British media seems to be well, we're not having a midyear test, so we're not helping him. And I think that's a bit of a cop out really, because they could have had a midia test this year, but they didn't want to play France because France isn't competitive and they've beat him by sixty or seventy. So you can't have your cake and eat it too, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think either way you look at it, they don't seem to care about England full stop. Who's that the Rugby Football League. They don't seem to care that England have I would have lost the Ashes.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't necessarily say that. I would say it's difficult for people in Australia understand, but the the league clubs effectively kind of run the RFL, so they don't have the power like of Landy to just say this is what we're doing. So the clubs won't want to release their players, they won't want to change the calendar. The other element is they don't have any money, so they can't send England down to play New Zealand and Origins on because they don't have one hundred grand or eighty grand whatever it would cost to do that. So there are economics here. People forget the wider picture.
Speaker 1: Surely surely Super League club can release their players for one game, Well they don't gain you know, the fix, the fix the fixture list for whole KR to play against York. Yeah, yeah, their life easier. So you get you work out the fictional lists so that Wigan can still win. All the powerful clubs can still win even though six of their players might be playing England versus the All Stars. That's how you do it.
Speaker 2: We had we had to combineations All Stars, which was basically the Exiles for a few years, but we didn't. We didn't. They didn't have Bed and French, they didn't have gidge Field. Basically, all the top clubs didn't release their foreign players to play against England becausey didn't want them injured. So yeah, the club's were all the roost and it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: They're killing the game beyond its own shores. You mentioned earlier the Rugby Football League in dispute with the International Rugby League. So if this isn't sorted, are England wanted to be playing in port ballsby comeback stadium and Paris.
Speaker 2: I think they just won't be getting any money.
Speaker 1: It'll be staying in motels.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting dispute because this is I wrote about this debt a year ago and it's in the accounts. It's in the actual World Cup accounts. You can go on company's house to see it, which is quite funny because the new r f l C is coming, so there's no debt, you know.
Speaker 1: It's like, but you're senior accounts and they've been trying to work it out for a couple of years now, but I think the kind of time for the i r L and they're obviously being backed.
Speaker 2: By the n r L, and that's the greater play between the NRL and Super League, isn't it, you know, a takeover, a partnership whatever. And this is a bit of a what would you call it, a bit of a yeah, yeah, a bit of a bit of incentive perhaps to do a deal. But they've gone public with it and Troy Grant's made some pretty strong comments, so yeah, it's it's it's quite the saga, quite the situation. An r L pers have signed Harry Newman, so they need at least another twelve their signings are coming thick and fast. I've read I've read Tiring, I read Tyrant Wish are visiting Perse in the next few ye I think I think Lindsay Smith is pretty close to getting announced. I think they're in for him. I think Jayde Campbell knocked them back. I mean, I think the Dolphins had the same problems, didn't they They went in for Monster and pong Are and they got knocked back quite a lot.
Speaker 1: So there was a there was a comparison though, and apparently they were ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the Dolphins, you would think they'd go in for Tino, considering he said that. He I mean, I know you're not a big Tino fans, remembering from the Ashes, but he said he was.
Speaker 1: You know, I am a big Tenal fan. I am a big Tenal fan. I just don't think he's the player that. I don't think Glenn Lazarus and Shane Webke have to worry about their place and the pantheon. That's all you like as much as you like not theory, but anyone, Scott, don't still you start. We're going to talk about that soon. Yeah, No, I don't. I don't mind teen or at all.
Speaker 2: He said he was going to look at his options. But yeah, they do need Look, they need they need players, they need a spine, so I wouldn't. I mean, obviously George Williams is going from Warrington to the Dolphins in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Is that confirmed? Well it is, it's happening. It's not being confirmed publicly, but I bet your life on Itly put it that way, thanks, Manly. Reuben Garrick has now left, so that's he's leaving to go to the Roosters. Yeah, and daily Cherry Evans is already there and the mestrof has left. Is that a happy club?
Speaker 2: Well? No, it's not been a big love. I mean this year I was gonna say last year. This year has been an absolute fucking nightmare for man fans. And I'm a Manly fan, so I know how much of a nightmare it has been. But look, I think Jason King, Look, he was a great player, he was a it was a prop. He was an intelligent prop, so he was rare. He had degrees and everything. He's highly regarded. He's the new CEO. I think crucially he gets on with a lot of the manly old old boys who are quite influential, you know, you chop one Stuarts and that Karen Forn's come in as an assistant, which I think is another popular move. Another ex player. Probably Turbo's got the captaincy that well, it's interesting. I mean you would have given to would have given it to maybe Jake, but you know there's doubts about his long term future. You know, head knocks and everything.
Speaker 1: So I think there's plenty of doubts about Tommy Turbo's long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course he's he needs to stay fit, doesn't he. So look the pressures on Anthony Seabold, you know Jamal Fogg and he has come in. He's got to build a house partnership with Luke Brooks Tata Cola can't pronounce his first name. I think he's been linked with a few clubs as well. So there there's some stuff to sort of. Mainly, they really need to have a much better season this year because I think if they don't start well, Seabolt will be gone.
Speaker 1: Right John, This is the bit that everyone's going to look forward to every week. We're going to spice things up. Now we've run through bits and news and ticked a few boxes but now we're going to get spicy each fortnite during the off season, and then from February will probably be weekly. We're going to have Johnny's Jab and he's laugh. Now my laugh could be something funny or something geez, that's a lot. They're having a laugh, aren't they? And this week minds they're having a laugh, aren't they. The Johnny's job can only really be you know what jab is a punch, isn't it so? Or an objection of some kind? So what's what's Johnny's Jab this week? I just I'm gonna stop. I'm going out wait wait, wait, wait, wait, sorry, we can get these sponsored Johnny's Jab sponsored by everlastank God, what's Johnny's jab this week? Sponsored by everyone?
Speaker 2: I think just I mean, I think I've always been a fan of Twitter or exit Coder, but since mass taken over, it's just it has gone to the dogs. But some of the the comments and interactions that I get a Daly basis, I don't. I don't actually respond very much anymore because it's a lot of it is a waste of time and it's just conclude fucking nonsense. But some of the way the comments that people put in. You just wonder what are they thinking hoping to achieve?
Speaker 1: I highlight one I received today from Dave Beverly, and I posted a story that Steve Masko had written about Okay are expressing a preference to play a promoted side a round one obviously before the World Club Challenge, to kind of give them an easy game before they places to b Broncos. And there's this comment from Dave Beverly which said, the RFL handed everything.
Speaker 2: To KR last season. What made you think this coming season would be any different? Question mark? It's just mean for those who don't know k I want to trouble.
Speaker 1: So they won the league, they fit, they won to my premiership, they won the Grand Fall and they won the chance, which they I don't think they know, They've never done in the one hundred whatever year history.
Speaker 2: It's not an easy thing to do. So I just I mean, Dave maybe a whole C fan, I would imagine he is, But how are you supposed to end that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What have they been? And to be honest, a lot of people and that's the other thing.
Speaker 1: We live in an outrage era, don't we leave everyone's outrage and angry about everything? As a sense of humor, and you know everyone is a snowflake. But what's the problem with them playing York before they play the Broncos and then they fight a vega something? To help them out if you can help them out, whether it's Wholekay, whether it's Wigan, whether it's in Helen's, if you can help them out in the fiction, they've got to play York sometime, you know, what's what's the issue?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't really see an issue because it is the best of Super League against the best of the NRL. It's not just one club. So yeah, I don't. I don't get the outrage.
Speaker 1: So your job is about crazy people online? Look, I've yeah, we often share on our personal socials, don't we the bits and bobs that we get. I I have had a barage in the last few weeks so and it's been based on my critiques of England in the Ashes in particular. Things really started. I get people in England telling me that I've got something against England. And I had one fellow the other day say, oh, it's not like you to be to put a negative take on something, and it was that I said, isn't turbo or risk as captain because of his injury rate.
Speaker 2: That's a fair point.
Speaker 1: That's a fair point, right negative, And it's like this first of all, so these are these are the these are the innocent ones, right, these are the these are the gentle ones that you know, people say, oh, you're being negative. In England, this is particularly prevalent. Do you think that if you don't say warm and fuzzy things being negative? There's a reason a lot of the things we say aren't particularly warm and fuzzy, and that's because most of the game in England is absolutely shit right, it's running an average way, it can be a lot better. The Super League is allowed to be economically dwindled so that we have reserve grade players playing in Australia who then move over to become Super League players. And that's part of Lee's laugh. Actually I'll talk about that. And we haven't England, haven't beaten Australia or Great Britain, haven't beaten Australia in a series or a World Cup for fifty five years. And you want us to be warm and fuzzy all the time. No, these things need to change. So just because somebody says they need to change. That does not mean they are being negative. It means they are highlighting what needs to change. And just because Turbo has been injured and I mentioned it doesn't mean I'm being negative. I am just critiquing. And so that's the first thing. And they're the nice people that the other ones are the abusive ones. And since I did the English stuff, and then I decided I was going to critique Nathan Cleary. Now, first of all, people assume I don't like Nathan Cleary. Why the hell would I not like Nathan Cleary has not done anything wrong to me. I worked at Penrith, I don't I don't have anything against Penrith. I don't support any n RL team. I just look at the things the way I see them. Nathan Cleary has been playing poorly and red football. So I decided to do something about it and do a video outlining that I don't mind anybody arguing with me in debate. I don't mind that, but the personal stuff that goes beyond the pale, and we're in that world now and I'm unfortunately in my screenshot of not save the name of this person, Well, this is one personal message I got somebody dm me, and I was so tempted to call him on his Facebook page and give him a mouthful. And I've got a lung speus like that. He said, cock Womble, you're a nobody, So glad we humiliated you. This is a personal message to me, right. I love putting dickheads who've never done anything in their place, people like you, people who think know everything about a particular discipline, people who have never done anything. Who the fuck are you?
Speaker 2: What did you ever do?
Speaker 1: Who did you play for or coach in the NRL? You know fuck all obviously. Why don't you go and drink a few more pints of tepid rats piss and go back to your tower block on the estate and try and scrape together enough money for another six pints. Some fucking northern who thinks he knows something about rugby league, you're just annoying. You're talking yourself up like England are something, but they're not. You invented the game, ah, rugby league and cricket, but your shit at both. Just stop embarrassing yourself. That hit a nerve with me because I grew up in poverty bit and I've battled my way out of it. And he decided to take a punt on that, and he'd never say that to my face. And you know the other thing, John, I've put posts out on my Facebook inviting people to come and debate me on the podcast. Guess how many people have taken me up on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The part of the thing in modern world is people will say anything online, but they would never actually, you know, say that to your face, or they post things without having any thought of the consequences or what their accidents. And yeah, it's just a general degradation of society, sadly, and yeah, that's why I never used to but I will block people now who are abusive. They just waste time.
Speaker 1: It's just people who like to interact with people who exactly.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed debating. I enjoyed and I've gotten many many things wrong. And I'll hold my hand up.
Speaker 1: I've had conversations with people and you know, I've gotten stories wrong, or I've you know, said or done things that I regret because we're all human, we all make mistakes. But there's no reason to go to petty levels of abuse over you know, things that their opinions. And you know, people like to invent agendas that that people don't have. But it's bad stand of affairs.
Speaker 2: You've just got to yeah, try and rise above it. Basically m.
Speaker 1: Lee's laugh brought to you by you could fill this spot now Les Lee's laugh.
Speaker 2: I know what Lee's laugh is. The English cricket team. Yah, yeah, Yeah, it's been a tough seven weeks for you, hasn't the funny thing about them saying more than this? And yes I'm proud English. We lived in Australia nearly twenty years. I've paid more tax in Australia than they have in England. Put it that way anyway, the half point where you you have lived in Australia longer than you lived in the UK far away Lee's laugh.
Speaker 1: I'm now going to I'm going to combine this with media watch right, because that's another section. But media hasn't been that lively lately. So on their website they announced Warrington Wolves that they were delighted to confirm the double signing of James Bentley and Josh Smith. Bentley is a backrower who's played one hundred and eighty one times for Say Helens I Think and Elms and Leeds won international caps for Ireland lifted the Grand Final trophy and two League Leaders shields and then it went Josh Smith. A tenacious competitor. The twenty four year old has voted the Brisbane Tigers Player of the Year in a season where he made the most run meters across the entire Host Plus Club Host Plus Cup, including topping the charts for post contact meters, and he's played eighty one games of reserve grade in Australia. This is a club John that in the past has signed the like Sir Adrian Morley, Joey Jones, Andrew g Alfie Langer Love rugby League in twenty On the twenty third of June twenty twenty three, a guy called Josh McAllister. I don't if you know him. He wrote the Warrington Woollves History of overseas signings, Lee's questions over their recruitment strategy and he talked about Josh McGuire lasting only two months there, Greg Engliss arriving in twenty twenty one after only playing and played only three games after coming out of retirement to go to Warrington, and he also mentioned Billy mcgoolis who made seven appearance, Alarie Latu who made three and Anthony Gelling who made a whopping thirteen appearances. So that's that's Lee's laugh this week is well number one what's happening with super League recruitment in general? But number two of Warrington got a media a recruitment problem.
Speaker 2: John, Yeah, I mean I did a piece with Carl Fitzpatrick during the ashes the Cyar Warrington. I did a longs about basically they had a terrible year. I think they finished eighth, lost the Challenge Cup final, missed the semifinals. Sam Burgess was a whisker of been sacked like that's the and maybe he should have been sacked because he you know, I think he was too pally with the with his players. He's obviously a young coach and then when you know some of them, the discipline wasn't there. You know, he couldn't get them back because he was too pally.
Speaker 1: You know, you can't go from being bouncing on a table in Las Vegas after they've just been beaten by fifty was the best choice of actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was another bad look look at easy young coach and I'm sure I'll learned for that. And he had a great year twenty twenty four. But yeah, in terms of Warrington, you could argue they've had a recruitment problem problem for quite a while. But I will give the club credit and the fact that they've made a focus on their academy. And this is always particularly by Wigan fan because Warrington end up spugning a lot of Wigan players that they're buying club and not a development club. You know, while Wigan are a development club, Saint Helens are development club, Leeds club. But Warrington I have put a lot of money into their academy and they are burying one of the young kids. You and Irwin who's a seventeen year old half back who the Bulldogs and four other clubs were after him. Joey Johnson has publicly said about what a talent he is. There's lots of other good young players who are going to get opportunities. Are Kay Tyler Ray the full back? So they are they've changed their model now. The Billy Smith one. I must admit when I when I saw that press release, I said who. And I don't know every player who plays in the New so Well's Cup and the Q Cup all in the NRL, but I know quite a few of them. I've never heard of him. No, now I was in kids.
Speaker 1: CAZ sorry ket Kaze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look he may you turned out to be a good signing, you know, but you would have thought at the age of twenty four, he's been scouted by every NRL club. He's probably maybe spent some time in a system. So I think there's a few ways to look at it. I think people have to realize that the NRL salary caps two and a half to three times bigger than the Super League one and the money just isn't there for name signings anymore. So there's going to be there already is a lot more of these, you know, reserve grade players at York and at other clubs Wake for for example, and look some of them turned out, you know, to be great buyers. You could argue Bevan French and joy Field who'd played had played some NRL but not a lot, and they've been arguably two of the four or five best players in Super League for the past three or four years. So there are players who can take an opportunity, who are you so Well's Cup or Queensland Cup reguls who can take an opportunity super League and develop and become stars, So that's real. But yeah, Warrington have a history of recruits haven't worked out. That's you can't. We can't dispute that because all the players you name, then there's several others. Look, Matt Dufty started off well, had a great twenty twenty four, he had a terrible year this year. I think he's on his way out of the club. And anyone who's followed Matt Dufty's career at the Dragons knows great attacking player, but not great defensively and a bit rocks and that's what happened. So yeah, I think I think some of the recruitments, some of the scouting at some Super League clubs leaves a lot to be desired.
Speaker 1: I also think there was well that this has been expedited because of the Super League decision to increase the overseas quota, which again contributes to my theory that the powers that be don't care about the English team.
Speaker 2: Well, it definitely has been is us about it by that? And part of that is because isn't enough local talent who's arguably good enough to fill those spots, and we have this weird system with the Championship and League One where players are actually paid quite well to be part time. So he might be in the Championship. You might be on twenty grand, which is you know, twenty pounds which say strained dollars, and you could go and play full time and be on you know, forty grand, but you're actually working as well as getting paid to play rugby league. So he might make sixty grand, So why are you going to throw that away? A lot of them don't, so there needs to be a shift in the market and the structure.
Speaker 1: What's the player called who left Salford? Really I wrote about him in my book. He's a classic case of it, right, He's gone through his career yo yoing between Super League and Championship and the scenario. You know, he probably I don't know Ryan Breally, but I do. He probably thought he was one of those players who thought, I need to be a Super League regardless, I'll take a financial hit, a shoon or.
Speaker 2: He was an interesting one because he was a star at the league when they're in the championship and then he got a big money moved to Huddersfield and he was a half back and they wanted to make him to a fullback and that basically failed and then Toronto came in and I can't remember if he joined when they're in League One, the third division or in the Championship, but he got a big money move there. It was great help them go up, and then basically Brian McDermott wanted him out. I'm trying to remember where he went next. It might have been Salford or it might have been somewhere else, but he went to He basically became a regular, a Super League regular Salford and did quite well. Now he's dropped back down into Oldham. He's also got a career as a football agent. He represents women's soccer players, some of the England internationals and some of the top female soft players. So he's doing quite well off the field. He's a pretty smart guy. But yeah, his opportunities to play parts of rugby league against still get paid reasonably well and the jump up of Super League isn't that far, So would you do it financially? You've got to think, you know about your career can be over in one injury. You got to think about your future.
Speaker 1: And I guess my point about writing really is if he was in Australia, he'd have found his level and been more consistent with it, and I dare say he probably would have achieved more in Australia because the system would have just been more able to get him to where he needed to be, whereas he would have yo yeled between Super League and Championship like he went he went down to Lee, down a division to Lee when they were in the lower division and ended up being their top tri scorer ever or something like that. Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I feel sorry for players like him in the English system, and I guess it's the fact that now the competition is going to be flooded with Queensland Cup and New South Wales Cup players basically moving forward, and like you said, if they're not, if they're not getting signed early, they'll be tied up in New South Wales and Queensland Cup systems. So these clubs Bradford York until lose are going to have to go even lower in the Australian system. I'm waiting for the day when an a grader in park football gets called up to play Super League mate or something, because I think it's only it's only going to head that way.
Speaker 2: Well, the mad the mad thing is is that in the championship in League one. So in the second and thirties there's no quota, so all of them could could field seventeen Australian who we parking in Guineas. And you see it in League one. You know, clubs like Rochdown, you know, had all these Aussies and what's the point of that doing well? Why is that? How is that helping the English game? It isn't because these clubs are getting a thousand people to to you know, a thousand fans paying, but they might these clubs might be playing you know, ten to fifteen grand for an overseas player. It's just a mad system that it's just propped up by some rich individuals but makes no sense. It makes no business sense and it doesn't actually it actually hurts the English game because it's taking away from the pathway system. So yeah, there needs to be there needs to be a realization at some point. I think we're getting there, but it certainly hasn't. Certainly hasn't happened. I actually I'm just trying to find it, but I can't seem to find it. But I made a list of the import players in Super League fifteen years ago, and if you look at a quality that was there compared to now, it's staggering. You know, you had Danny Bideiris, you had Tommy lula Wai, you know, the Pooler Tours, Francis Mealy. You know, you had basically you had a list of players who'd either played a shitload of NRL or international for Australia or New Zealand or Origin. And some of them might have been older or whatever, but they were you know, the talent was quite good. And obviously that benefits the younger English players because if you're if you're training and playing with the Danny Badias or against the Danny Bidierris, you know, one of the greatest hookers of the last couple of decades, you learn a lot. But if you're playing against some twenty two year old from the Queensland Cup, how much learning. So the training quality and that that's partly is because Super League has either gone down or flatlined and the NRL has just gone up and up and up, and the money is all in Australia. So that's that's one of the reasons why you know that some of those top players aren't coming to super League anymore because the opportunity. The financial incentive is.
Speaker 1: Just not there, and that comes back to administrators, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's they've not been able to grow the sport. They're not being able to grow their revenues. See in the history of poor administrators who getgurgitated. And we've got another one back in charge now who was in charge of that period as well.
Speaker 1: The alarming thing for me was on the Ashes podcast you mentioned this in sort of in passing. You said that clubs aren't great with the media anymore. They don't actively encourage basically them to the NROL players are better trained, if you like. And I was a Super League media manager. They almost the early stages of Super League, if you like, and there was every club was told they needed a media manager, community development manager, etc. Etc. And there was a big push for clubs to really cozy up to the media. And in a quarter of a century that's just completely changed and they probably need it now more than ever, particularly with the types of media we have out there now, and they're just doing the exact opposite. It is absolutely scary. And the other thing back to the signings, I remember about four years ago when mate Chris texting me and said, what do you know about this player cade Cust who signed for Wigan. Well, first of all, if a bloke in England in this era of everybody being able to watch everything around the world, hadn't heard of a player that tells you everything you need to know. Secondly, I had to go okay, cost and we're going to sign him m and I thought this is trouble.
Speaker 2: Well, look he at least, you know, to his credit, he came through I think it was the mainly system and he played some role for mainly. I'd seen him play a bit for mainly. You know he's a fringe player. But yeah, he didn't work out at Wigan, did he? And he's kind of hollow ce. And you wouldn't say if you if you say the six to seven input players in any super club, you probably should be one of the first names on the team sheet. You know, you shouldn't be, you know, missing every second week. You should be a guaranteed starter, because that's the reason you're an import. But I wouldn't say he's in every seventeen of Holoft season. That sort of sort of shows the reality of the situation.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we don't want to get too negative because people might say we're being negative. John will end the podcast with my analysis segment each week so that you know, if people are listening to it and they think, I don't know leave saying because he's talking about pictures at least then they can turn the podcast off and go to the YouTube, the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel and watch the clip. So I've done an analysis clip John on different types of tackles, so shoulder contact tackles, hit and drive versus the catch and wrestle. So it basically England did catch and catch and wrestle and Australia did a bit more shoulder contact and I've gone through that in this analysis video, but also use some other other teams as example. So before we go to that, John just remind people where they can get you.
Speaker 2: You can get me on x at Johnny d Davidson and get me on Facebook at John Davidson Journalist and on Patreon at Ugby League hub dot com long Reads and.
Speaker 1: We'll catch up in a fortnight to do episode two of Super League three sixty.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: What I one to take you through today are two very common types of tackle technique which are in evidence very much in the NRL and the Super League every single week. It's just that casual fans or viewers may not notice these subtle differences. So allow me to take you through using footage from the recent England and Australia Test matches and some other footage. I don't want you to get wrapped up in the fact that this is England versus Australia. I just want you to recognize that the team in the white England tackled with what we would call a catch style of tackle technique, and Australia, particularly Harry Grant, didn't. Now, this is the very first collision of the second Test, England coming out very aggressively. I'm going to go back a little bit earlier. This is coming from the kickoff, England coming out aggressively. Now, if you look at that collision, all of the players, including the player that spun off, is very upright. They're going in with their chest okay, and they then try and put the player down and control the rook as a result on the floor. I'm not necessarily going to go through the wrestling elements today, However, I do want you to notice the direction of where the players with the ball go after the initial collision. Now I have paused the tape here at what I call the contact line, or what we call the contact line. Pattick Arrogan has taken the ball in and he has been met by the English defense. Now it's very clear from this freeze frame that England are going in to catch chest first, open arms, not the top of the shoulder. And Pat Carrigan's initial contact there just went over the contact line a bit. Now England actually bring Pat Carrigan towards their own try line in their wrestling or post contact wrestling. Okay, and this is my point. So you can actually lose some momentum in your defensive line if you tackle like this with the chess, but it also shows you how good these players are at control. So I want you to know tis how often England used the chess contact in all these clips. Again, before I take you to what Australia and in particular Harry Grant did so chess contact towards the trial line of England. On the next collision, you'll see Harry Grant's collision straight in with the top of the shoulder. Now this could be something he gets taught at Melbourne, but they're very subtle differences and in fact, I think you'll agree with me. Australia are a lot more compact in what they do there. Their bodies are tighter to Herbie farm with there as they are controlling him down to the ground. Again, Angus Crichton, that was a shoulder contact. If you asked me, he wasn't necessarily the top of the shoulder, but the back was bent more. Let's go back and watch those again, Harry Grant's shoulder contact and I'm going to tell you why the shoulder contact is important very soon. Angus Crichton's shoulder contact. You may also notice that player's studs are still in the ground when they tackle. This is a big, big indicator of power and I'll tell you why soon, Harry Grant again, older studs in the ground from both players. This is a historical video. This is Poland versus Venoa tu in the twenty eighteen Emerging Nations World Championships. The player on the left has lost his feet. Now, the reason feet are so important is that you get a lot of power from your legs. So if you imagine doing a squat in the gym, for example, or lifting a box, you are encouraged to bend your legs and using the power of your legs. So the tackler on the left has lost his feet. The tackler on the right with the red boots still has his feet and he's using them to drive the opposition player backwards. Again, this has slowed down a little bit. Look at the players using their studs and it's coming from shoulder contact. We've all seen the big hit videos and again the reason I've put these into this week's analysis is every big hit here has top of the shoulder contact or very close to. When we look at who I think is Ronaldo Mullatalo here, one criticism is his legs are straight. If his feet were even closer, he would get even more power to be able to bend his legs. In a moment, you're going to see another big hit from New Zealand, Let's look how close the feet were there. That was a lot better, and the power is clearly coming from the legs here. Of course, momentum and speed of runner also have an impact, but there you can see the studs are in the ground, the legs are bent, the back is lower, the shoulder goes in to Tyson Frazell. I think that is on the attacking side number eleven for Tonga. Legs bent, shoulder in and the contact line is definitely one there. Here's one from the last World Cup. The contact line absolutely won by the number ten. They're in white. You'll quite often see this in all walks of the game, somebody coming out of the line to put on a shot. Again, not perfect tackle technique, but the shoulder is in and there is power coming from the legs. And if I take you back to the original clips that we saw England, and this is so common in so many teams. There's lots of NRL teams that do this, and there's lots of Super League teams that do this. Actually aren't getting power from their legs and they are bringing the attacking player towards their own goal line. I honestly think that the shoulder contact is underused in both NRL and Super League, particularly in Super League, and the benefit of it is that you can stop the momentum of the attacker. I really don't understand the methodology of bringing somebody closer to your own goal line. I really don't understand that and really struggle with that methodology. However, most clubs are very adept at wrestling for root control. I think it's a lot easier to do if you hit with some force. Keep an eye out for this next time you see a big game in twenty twenty six. Also, I think don't underestimate how tackle technique can influence the outcome of a match. Okay, it's something that I, as a coach, have always really had very high on my list. Shoulder contact contact line, winning the contact line, and then winning the subsequent rook afterwards.