Speaker 1: It's the Christmas episode of Inside the Paint, which means you can count on us for all the whole Well, so much for that. I was hoping that we could provide the Holoda each year because Kansas they won, that was their biggest margin of victory all season. Surely we have to be feeling a little festive or a little happy, right A little bit, maybe a little bit.
Speaker 2: I mean, so where I'm at right now, we got a lot of snow, So that makes up for anything Jalen Daniels football related in Kansas basketball related. But yeah, it's Christmas time. We're delivering the goods. We're like Santa Claus.
Speaker 1: That's a bell ringing, that's like a literal like a bell hop. Okay, I was thinking, like I'm trying to find a bell's ring sound effect you do have in your notes here. If you're listening to this on Christmas morning, then Santa has already gotten to your destination and left. As long as you're a very good a good boy or girl. That the people who angry tweet Rock Chalk Blog that Hunter Dickinson sucks might be getting some coal when they're stocking this year. But hopefully, as you alluded to in your notes. Hopefully Santa is very very careful when he goes over the Middle East, because you know, you'd hate to have Santa Claus getting shot down in the middle of the night by somebody over the Serie or Israel regions. Yeah.
Speaker 2: According to the Santa Tracker website, which is kind of like college basketball Reference, but just for Santa Claus, he's left the North Pole, which means he's about five hours roughly until he shot out of Israeli airspace. By the IDF, We've got a status update on Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. He's been replaced by a non Dei hire and Bob Hankins, who has had six Gen and Tonics. We're hoping for sobriety check this season while in the air. Secondly, Santa decided to suspend meal service from this year's flight due to unmarked drones patrolling the airwaves. One of these drones is said to be captain by kJ Adams, which means it will come nowhere close to hitting its target, but it will have a ten yure battery life, leading to international strength. Last, but not least, from your inside of the Paint monologue, Bill self bought all of his player's Christmas gifts, aside from aj Store, who he shipped to the front lines of Ukraine. Happy Holidays from inside the Paint with your two mentally ill co hosts.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like how it's just a too mentally ill co host today because Landa's on load management once again. Uh, Lanta came over the other day, so a Landon story for you. He brought, he brought me and as a surprise he did as a surprise Christmas gift a Terry's chocolate, big orange chocolate piece. After we were talking about how they sponsored the Duke game. Yeah, it was funny and I was I was giving him the business when he was over here. I said, yeah, Uh, Landon's decided that he's just on load management and unlike Cam, who's very loyal and does all the episodes, and Landa just kind of smirked and said, oh, he'll get there. I remember my first season, So Cam, your perfect attendance is going strong.
Speaker 2: It is my my conspiracy theories that we've never seen Santa Claus and Landon Fields in the same room together.
Speaker 1: So like there's a chance that is why he's not here. That's funny. So the Santa Tracker, it's funny that you bring that up, because let me tell you the damage that the Santa Tracker did to me as a child. I was such a I was a I was a pretty smart kid, but I was all about the facts and the data. So I'm like six years old and on the news they're like, okay, kids, you better get to bed because I've gotten word that Santa Claus is crossing the ocean, and I'm doing the math, like, okay, well it's ten o'clock. He still has work to do, like in England and France and in that area before he gets over here. And then you'd have the songs that are like at exactly midnight, Santa will get here, and all the TV hosts are telling us like, if you're not asleep, then Santa will skip your house. And I'm doing I'm running the numbers and crunching the analytics on this, like like trying to figure out what Kansas is optimal starting five is, and it legitimately terrified me. I had meltdowns on Christmas Eve about like calculating if I'm getting closer to the time that Santa would have to be here, so those Santa Tracker websites can do some damage, sir.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's pretty on brand for you. I actually had a kid in elementary school that was like trying to convince me I was I was on brand as well. I was a skeptic, and he was like using that website as definitive proof for the existence of said clause. And but yeah, I never I never got into it that much. But I tried to do the math in my head a little bit. And then I'd hear something in the middle of the night and be like, it's him, he's here, it's him. To get up, and it was like my father in his underwear, like doing something with a gift.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, what's going on? Man? Well, and I was so terrified that that, like you had to wait until Christmas morning to find out if you were on the nice or the naughty list. And like I thought I was a good kid, Like I was like I didn't like to beat up anybody or call people names. But you never knew for sure because I would hear that as leverage to behave, Oh you better behave, or Sannah won't come here? Is there every do you think he's ever been a kid whose parents were like trying to prove a point and then they ended up on the Naughty List?
Speaker 2: Like, is that is that happened in history?
Speaker 1: Legitimately wound up getting them on the naughty list? Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think it's possible that you can go on the naughty list trying to get others to get there. It's kind of like in the NFL. How if you like throw a punch and then the other guy retaliates, it's the second guy that always gets caught.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I definitely think that that could be a thing. And and yeah, if you don't. The magic of Christmas is I'm thirty years old and I'm still I still have to pop Benagerl on Christmas Eve legitimately false because I'm so excited about Christmas. Super Bowl it is it is, It's like the super Bowl and now next week is the is the hangover phase when I have to take everything down and oh my, that's a time. This is inside the paint. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. I am Ryan Landrith and I am Yeah, we'll just go with my name. I'm Cam. You're not Landing, that's uh, you are. You're not taking days off, because on this show, just like with Bill self and kJ Adams, we don't take days off. So here's what we're gonna do on this show. We're gonna talk about Brown, which is as exciting as well the name Brown suggests. There really isn't a lot of other games. We're gonna do some asscarcb's and then we're not really gonna worry about a Kansas preview because the three of us will come back in later this week to preview to start a Big twelve play. They do play West Virginia a week from today, I think a week from it's on New Year's Eve, Tuesday at two pm game. Yay, But so at that point it's New Year's and New Year's Eve is not a federal holiday, isn't it. It's isn't it New Year's Days on Wednesday? Like people have to work on Tuesday. That's horrible. I believe that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure, well, yeah, that does actually kind of suck now they think about.
Speaker 1: It, because the game is at two o'clock on a Tuesday. Uh, that's when they'll open Big twelve play against who who even is the coach there? It's it's Tucker to Rye's dad, right, I think so, Yeah, that's correct. So they have a new coach and uh, well we'll get Kansas already for them next show, but for now, a little bit shorter of a show, we'll recap the game. And yeah, as you're driving to your in laws house preparing to discuss politics with the person that you really don't want to talk about, at least you get at least you get inside the paint where we're gonna talk about k J. Adams, who we really don't want to talk enjoy times. Yeah, it'll be great, all right. Number eight Kansas eighty seven, Brown fifty three. Can we learned a lot of things in this game, or maybe you'll say we didn't, But the main thing that we learned is Brown is awful. Yeah, big fart noise. The lesson that we learned here is that Brown absolutely sucks. With respect to Kansas, who did play well, especially in the second half. They had their biggest victory of the season in terms of score margin. Kansas slept walk through the first half. They still led by eleven at the break, and then they I don't know, I was gone on well whenever I wrote this, they did bad things to Brown in the second half. They wound up winning by thirty four points. I think that if the Jayhawks play an IVY League school in the NCAA tournament, they might just be okay.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I'm sure that'll that sound bite would never come back to bite this podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, normally the IVY League team is good, especially on defense, like they're serviceable. Yeah, Yale was okay. Yale beat Auburn last year.
Speaker 2: There was a team that Kansas. Oh no, no, it was Penn. It was Penn in the year with that never happened according to the nca correct that game didn't happen. Yeah, and everyone was like if there, if you'd been told that week that a one seed lost Kansas would have been the pick from every single person in the universe.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be Yeah, that was Seth Davis's thing. He went on, he picked Pen over Kansas in the bracket. I was a yeah, And it wasn't even close. Kansas on by twenty. But you're right, the Penn game, Like that's an NCAA team. Harvard and Yale have both played Kansas at least in the score margin between like six to twelve points at Allen field House like, but this we we thought this might be a little bit closer than it was and it wasn't even a contest. Yeah, and I was I always look at these games.
Speaker 2: We talked about this on the last show, but the game before Christmas is usually just a complete snooze fest. Guys show up lazy, tired. It's closer than it should be. No students, not so much. And it was actually pretty full from what it looked like. I mean, the students still showed up. For whoever was there, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of my relatives is a lot I used to be on the Sheer squad and they told me that they were invited to this game and they were comprising the student section. They invited a lot of alumni for this contest because with all the students not there for winter break, that's who wound up filling the building. And it was full. It was a lot more full than I thought it'd be. As you said, typically this game they struggle getting people in the door. Sometimes the weather's real crappy too. It was fine on Sunday, so you saw it. I thought the environment was as good as you could have hoped, And yeah, you're right. A few years ago. For a while there, they always played a road game right before Christmas because NCAA rules stated that if you played a game, then you are as a school allowed to pay for your team to travel, so they could pay for them to all go home after said game for Christmas. Now WITHINIL everything's changed, so they just play a crappy IVY League score right before Christmas. And I had a couple of people in the notes on Twitter or in the mentions on Twitter tell me that I'm wrong for this take, But I'm curious for your thoughts. If I could get rid of one game on the schedule every year, Cam, it would be the IVY League game.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. Nothing else really comes to mind. I mean, I think the other one that you can say is the exhibition game. I guess, you know, like Washburn, but I think that's cool for Washburn to come play in Kansas. This game typically is just so boring. I told you guys and in Land and said the same thing. Where were like, I don't know if I'm even gonna watch this live, and I had to drive home, so I didn't really get a chance to watch it. Kind of streamed it on the radio. I didn't listen to Brian Haney, thankfully, but yeah, but no, I mean probably it is this game unless you have some conference game in I don't know. I guess Utah, now, Like, yeah, isn't there I would hate to watch.
Speaker 1: There's definitely a few more big twelve games now that could have a hat in the running for that. Yeah, the title of worst game on the schedule. And I had to all people saying, like, you know, no, they need to tune up against stay. Okay, fine, you want to experient with some things. I think Self was doing that. And typically the IVY League game is Bill Self isn't just isn't just choosing a team out of a hat. They are choosing the team that they think can win the IVY League because that team usually winds up getting a thirteen seed and it looks better than it actually is on their metrics. And it did help Kansas and Ken Palmon and the net and all that stuff whenever you beat a potential NCAA tournament team by you know, thirty four or whatever it was. But it's just boring and this game was fine. I posted that tweet in the first half when it was like eighteen to fourteen through twelve minutes, Like typically the Harvard Yale game is terrible and it's just not fun to watch. I don't care about the numbers. I'm over being told no, it's at this thing that's not pleasant to watch. Typically not this one, but typically not pleasant to watch and it is not fun to experience. Is actually quite needed. Sports are for entertainment. I am not interested in watching ugly sports games to help give Kansas the better seed here. I want entertaining games. I want every game to be against the Duke Michigan State Tentucky level team in the non con because I think those games are entertaining and that's I know the why they can't do that, but that's my preference. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, Chris Renald would comparahuting down from the rafters with a banner that said net on it right now because those games don't satisfy his sexual cravings. Right, Yeah, No, I can't. Honestly, I was not excited to watch this game. I forgot it was even happening until midday on seven.
Speaker 1: One of Sunday games this year? Was it Sunday?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was a Sunday game. That's how much I cared it's it's weird. They're playing all these Sunday games now, all of a sudden, they play another one in two weeks they play Central Florida. The second Big twelve game is on a Sunday for some reason. Oh jeez, you talked about the net. So Texas Tech the other day beat the University of Lamar, who is six and six. They beat them by almost fifty They beat them one hundred and one to fifty seven, and they went up twenty two spots in the net as a result of that one. That's such a joke. Yeah it is. And by the way, Lamar, you may say six and six isn't the worst record I've ever heard in my life. Well, they played, though. Two of Lamar's wins are against Paul Quinn and Our Lady of the Lake, who are who are not D one D two schools either. And so this is a team that has beaten D one teams A and M Corpus Christie by four ut Rio Grande Valley, Louisiana and Southern Mississippi, and beating that team gets you to go up twenty plus spots in the net, which they do use to help seed in Sea Tournament. Teams. As you mentioned, your your buddy Chris Reynolds thinks that that's a great method. Wow, college basketball is cash bizarre. Yep, it's really stupid. Uh. And so I'm glad Kansas isn't playing teams like that because I don't need I don't need those games at all. Tune ups are fine. You can tune up against quality teams. And I guess you could maybe say statistically, at least on paper, Brown is supposed to be solid, but still just a just a dreadful, awful opponent to watch a Sunday afternoon of Kansas basketball against. But something that does not suck would be Zeke Mayo read all, I want you to tell me all about his fantastic showing back to back games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Zeke Mayo, who Kansas definitely will not over rely on heading into the NCAA tournament, only for him to let them down with a bad round of thirty two night he had twenty five points, eight rebounds, four assists in twenty six minutes. He was ten for fifteen overall, went five for eight from three to five for seven from two. He kind of reminds us a little bit of the player we saw at tournament Remy Martin B. But other than that, I don't think we've seen a player with his kind of skill set, probably since Malik Newman and Devonte gram War at Kansas, which I remember Ryan tweeting on Rockshock blog a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I think you are correct. Yeah, And I think that whenever you think of those guys, just the ability to create their own shot and also hit jumpers, to be able to create their own jump shot. They can hit a step back there, They're handling skills are good enough to be able to get open, their athleticism is enough to create the separation, and then they have the finishing ability to finish at the ram or knock down a jump shot three different things. Yeah, I'm not sure we've seen a player Yeah since that eighteen team. L Gerald Vick could do it too. That eighteen team had a handful of guys that could do that. And yeah, oh yeah, as Latin will tell you, Marcus Garrett was very very close. Uh yeah, no, it's a it's a badly needed piece. And whenever you look at how guys like aj Store and Ryland Griffin haven't quite been what we thought they would. Still plenty of time, but they would be completely sunk without Zeke Mayo, who we go back and forth, there's four different guys that I think you could call Kansas's best player depending on the day. Uh and Zeke Mayo has probably been their best player this year, all things considered. His transition to the Power five level has been fantastic. And yeah, you're right, don't get too overreliant on him though, because yeah, if he goes three for nine in the in the in the second round and no one else is hitting shots, then that's gonna suck whenever they're depending on him.
Speaker 2: That I mean, the counter points of this or the counter argument would be they have more options this year on paper, so they should be fine, emphasis on should be, But we haven't seen that play out yet, so I guess we'll time.
Speaker 1: Time will tell well. And we were worried for a while with Zeke Mayo that he went through a stretch where he was like one for sixteen shooting threes over a three or four game stretch. He's responded by having back to back great games and on the season. This is a guy who shot thirty eight percent at South Dakota State a thirty nine percent rather and he's at thirty nine percent right now at Kansas, thirty eight point seven percent overall, and this is a guy who's taken almost six threes a game that's making thirty nine percent of them. Excellent season so far for Zeke Mao, averaging fourteen points as a kind of can play the point guard, but is primarily the off the ball guy that Dewan Harris, who is the big Twelves leader and assist, loves passing the ball to. We were worried for a while that Zeke Mayo was going to struggle to adjust to the power five game. His last two games have stabilized them through an entire non conference season. He is shooting the ball as well as he did last year at South Dakota State. Certainly you love to.
Speaker 2: See it, Yeah, one hundred percent. Definitely nice to have an actual shot creator for once they can make shots, unlike Charlie Moore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And as far as free throw creation, that is still kind of a problem. They took just four free throws as a team in the first half, though they did finish with fifteen for the game. Started seeing them kind of wear down Brown to the point and then they got some calls on the second half they end non conference play, which is only eleven games now, but the non conference late now being done, Kansas is averaging nine makes and thirteen attempts per game. Fine percentage, not good metrics. Those numbers both rank. The makes and attempts per game both rank bottom ten out of three hundred and sixty five D one teams nationally. Never, of all the stats, I didn't think i'd ever see a Bill Self Kansas team be at the bottom of the country and it's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bizarre. I have to think that will change a little bit over the course of the year. And I remember on the broadcast the commentator is saying that Bill Self has been harping on this team about getting to the free throw line. Not exactly sure why they can't do it, but part of it obviously goes with the whistler getting Ryan thinks that's kind of a luck thing. I think it's a little bit of that, and then also maybe just a little bit of the way the team plays this year. But we'll see they need to get to the line more though that's not gonna get it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't just sit here and say it's luck. Whenever we have a huge sample size of eleven games. I mean that's a third of a season, and it's definitely not all luck. I do think that the style in Big twelve play is a little different. I think that you're gonna see typically in Big twelve play, you see slower pace, you see fewer possessions per game, and therefore more fouls. That kind of seems like that's the trend, and maybe it won't be that way because the Big twelve VI isit as good defensively as we thought it would be. Teams like Arizona and Kansas State have been colossal disappointments on the defensive end of the ball this year, so I'm hoping that it improves. But what also frustrates me is this team is good shooting free throws. Zeke Mayo, AJ Store, Ryland Griffin all eighty percent career free throw shooters. Hunter Dickinson is your worst free throw shooter of your primary ones, and he's a seventy five percent career guy, Like, this is a team that you want shooting more. And I'm reading now your notes. Yeah it's you can read it out loud. We can read whatever out loud. But yeah, that's the frustrating part. This team can make free throws, they just refuse to get to the line. Maybe what we saw in the second half will lead to better things, But if they're going to get to that free throw line, it's it's gonna be their bigs. And in this game we saw the big Yeah, they didn't get to the line, but they sure they sure as hell dominated an underwhelming front court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hunter Dickinson continued to do Hunter Dickinson things. He had fifteen and thirteen points in just twenty four minutes, ironically keeping him under the thirty minute mark that Billsoff talked about at the start of the year. Granted Missus Brown, he really wasn't that sharp. From the Florida went six for fourteen as backups also played well. Florida Baduna had eight and six and fourteen minutes, including off the backboard alley slam. That was a nice touch from Was that was that pass more than through that?
Speaker 1: I think it was. I think it was quite Yeah at the very end, I think yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they combined to block five shots. Overall, a really good game for both of them.
Speaker 1: So I had somebody on Twitter point out that Hunter Dickinson's numbers are worse than they were last year, and on a per game basis they are. However, he's playing less and that's the problem with those stats. Last year averaged eighteen and eleven. This year is averaging fifteen to ten. But he's playing five minutes a game less, which, as you said, Bill self said he wanted to get him under thirty minutes a game. He's gonna play more in the conference games that tend to be closer, there won't be as many opportunities to rest him. But this year, playing twenty seven minutes a game, his per forty numbers are the best that they've been at Kansas twenty three and fifteen are his per forty numbers last year twenty two and fourteen. However, again, the quality of the opponent's about to go up that will play in there. I think Hunter Dickinson is better this year than he was last year. He's shooting the three ball better and almost better. Undoubtedly will shoot the three ball weather and conference play than he did compared to last year. But he's a guy who in twenty seven minutes a game is averaging almost sixteen points, ten rebounds. He's averaging more blocks than he did last year. He's better on the defensive end than he was last year, more assists, which isn't necessarily because he got better. It's because guys are making shots now. He's a better free throw shooter than he was last year. I think you're going to see I think he's going to win Big Twelve Player of the Year. I think he's the best player in this conference, and I think they're going to his usage will go up and Big Twelve play and Flori Florie's for forty numbers are twenty and sixteen while shooting over eighty percent from the floor. He has dominated statistically in his time. Again against the competition. The defense has been rough against some of the better names they've played, but you gotta feel good about the front court. They have a little bit of depth there for the first time in a while. And I think Dickinson is about to have I think he's going to have the best statistical season that any big has had under Bill self, maybe Robinson, yeah, but other than that, he's on pace.
Speaker 2: Probably he might be. Honestly, he might be better than Thomas Robinson. Can you imagine, just for a second, take yourself down the dark cellar here if Hunter Dickinson is the token cas this big man that gets like at the injury right before the Big twelve tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it'll imagine it'll And that happened last year when he ripped his shoulder out of his socket in the final game of the season. Somehow played like a week later in the NCAA tournament and had Yeah. And then he goes out in the NCAA tournament, has a twenty twenty game and leads them in scoring the next game against Gonzaga, which I know he didn't play well in that, but still the guy played fine in the NCAA tournament all things considered, on a dislocated shoulder. Yeah. Hunter Dickinson is one of those players that I obviously have had a very high opinion of some of you and and at least relative to the a lot of the Rock Chalk Blog follows. I don't think Hunter Dickinson is going to truly be appreciated until they either win it all or until he's not here anymore. And you see what it looks like with Adham. Yeah, we've seen that before.
Speaker 2: Not great, also not great, I guess interesting kJ kJ Adams had a really interesting game. He went zero for three in the first half with zero points against Brown. He then opened the second half of two immediate baskets. If there's ten total points in Kansas played a lot better.
Speaker 1: He was four for eight.
Speaker 2: He led a team with twenty nine minutes insert gunshots sound too temple. Do you believe that as far as kJ goes, KU goes.
Speaker 1: Yes, but not in the way that a lot of people think. If he's going to pace them in minutes, then yes, to a certain extent. That has to be true because he's out there the most. He also led them in plus minus in this game, which is a stat that I like more than most, and I think that's quite telling. He led them in plus minus in the first half too, despite despite not scoring. I think that kJ has a lot of value on this team. I don't necessarily know if. I don't know if it's a start thing or not. I think that they should play through other guys first, but I don't know. I'm still holding on to hope that that Bill self will eventually play the four out lineup more. But I just don't think he's that interested in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, once aj Store gets back from Ukraine, hopefully he makes it back, we might see some that. I mean, we've talked about this though. It's like kJ is a good player. He is a really good basketball player, but this is this is the type of game where he should on paper be really good.
Speaker 1: It's brown, right, you know.
Speaker 2: And he's had great games against like Duke was great. He was awesome against Duke. He was largely the reason Kansas won that game. Yeah, I mean, we'll see. It's it's matchup dependent. I still want to see four guards or four round one, but Bill self doesn't he knows better.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the reason that kJ is playing so much and the reason we're not seeing the four guard lineup as much as any of us thought. Do you think that's because Self loves kJ? Or do you think that's because Self doesn't trust the four guard lineup?
Speaker 2: I think it's Well, here's here's my theory. I think Self knows that the team's best chance of winning the title is with that for around one lineup. I also think that he might have to reduce kj's minutes in conference play, and so he might be trying to get him more run ahead of conference play, where if he takes him out in conference time, it's not like, hey, he's a fifth year senior whatever, and he's not playing as much. I could be wrong, but that's kind of where I'm I'm thinking we'll see I agree.
Speaker 1: I think that he knows that the Foreguard lineup is a minimum of weapon that you're gonna have to pull out in certain matchups. That's the minimum expectation. The maximum is it should be the lineup they run. But as much as I want them to run the Foreguard lineup, and I still would run that more than I would run a lineup with kJ, I would if I was the coach, I also am not seeing practice. I it's definitely fair to say that guys like aj Store and Ryland Griffin, who are integral parts to that Foreguard lineup we all want, they haven't shown the things that you really want to see for Bill Salt to say, all right, this is my lineup, let's ride. Ryland Griffin hasn't been consistent at all, and aj Store, i'llbeit better in this game. He hasn't shown. kJ Adams been better than both of those guys this year by a mile. Like, as much as we want less kJ and more of those guys, Kj's been the better player and I don't think it's that close.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's that close either. And I also wonder at times, like the Ryland Griffin fit on this team, it may just not be a great fit for him. On paper, it should be, but you know, like just watching the game, you see him getting some looks, but they're never really great looks. They're kind of transition jumpers, which I guess kind of is Alabama ask But I'm just curious if it's a good fit, if he'll figure it out. Same thing with the AJ Store. I think he's kind of in the doghouse from what I can guess, But yeah, kJ has been way better than both of them. I just think it's a floor ceiling argument, and I feel like Kansas is a ceiling with that four guard lineup is higher than the floor would be well obviously the floor, but they're ceiling with kJ playing the most minutes, you know, as the floor.
Speaker 1: I think you're right. I think the four guard lineup is the ceiling because we know what kJ is and we know the ceiling has to be better than anything but really good kJ lineups. But I hope that the pieces that they have, like the two things can they're different things. The four guard lineup is the best thing for this team to succeed is one thing. The pieces on this team running said four guard lineup being the best lineup, that's something else. And I'm gonna blame the coaching if Ryland Griffin doesn't work, because Ryland Griffin's a thirty nine percent three point shooter. He's an athletic long wing who can sit in the corner and nail every three you throw at him. Whenever you have an elite passing point guard and an elite passing seven footer in the middle, they should be able to make that piece work. We saw Nick Timberlake not be as good as we thought he would be. We saw Marco Jackson not be as good as we thought he would be. We saw Charlie Brown not be as good as we thought he would be. And as good as Isaiah Moss has perceived to be, the man shot less than thirty five percent from three on the season. Jalen coleman Lands was the best shooter of any of these transfers that they brought into be these three point specialists, and he barely played down the stretch. The man played two minutes in the National Title game. So whenever I look at all these pieces, they are bringing in guys who are successful shooters at other high level programs. Charlie Moore and a guy like Charlie Moore and a guy like Zeq Mao didn't play at a higher at a high level. Ryland Griffin played on a Final four team. You have Isaiah Moss played at Iowa who is an NCAA tournament team. Jalen Coleman Lands played at Iowa State, who is a tournament team. These are pieces that you should be able to plug in and see success from. And we have like seven or eight guys that they brought into be shooter, and I throw Remy in there too. They couldn't figure Remy out either, and that was perplexing. You have seven or out guys. It was Yeah, and then Remy just being a really good player. It worked in the NCAA tournament because of Yeah, more than anything else. Pure When you're bringing in seven or eight guys to be three point shooters over the course of half a decade and you're struggling to get more than a couple of them going, I don't know, I have a Ryland Griffin hasn't been great, but he's following in the same footsteps as a lot of other guys that we've seen here, and he had easily the quote safest floor of any of them because he started on a Final four team. Yeah, no, I agree.
Speaker 2: It's we we talked about this last time. Could be the conspiracy of Bill Self as a very hard coach to please and players maybe it gets in their head a little bit like transferring in and trying, you know, you feel like you have to prove yourself in a new school.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the answer is, but I do think Ryland Griffin will figure it out. I think he's two good nons too. I think he's the best pro prospect from just a pure intangible standpoint. He's a long wing that can shoot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we'll see well and right. In this game specifically, Griffin had seven points and three rebounds in sixteen minutes. He did a couple of good things and then got drilled in the face and left early. Self said that he'll be fine, especially after getting it was officially an eye injury, Self said, And it looks like that he will be just fine going forth, Bill Self said. The ipatch sent him in there. Yeah, yeah, that would look cool too, give him a give him the George Santos eye patch and one eye dead. I ran and let him. Hey, at least it would match how he has. He only plays hand full of minutes a game this year, Griffin is averaging just seven points and three rebounds, and he's barely shooting a third of his threees going in the basket thirty three percent. Uh. Yeah, it hasn't been what we thought, but I think that, you know, we know that the skills there. Aj Storer had nine to five and twenty minutes. He did some good things while going three for eight from the floor. It also left us wondering, is this just because he's the best athlete that is going to play against Brown all year? David Koit and Dwan Harris, we're both quiet. Statistically, they both made one singular basket in their seventeen and twenty four respective minutes. Harris still pacing the big twelve and assists. I think that I'm more worried about aj store than Rylan Griffin, even though I think Storre's probably been better than and then Griffin this year. Because Griffin's role is clear and because of his shooting, he's always gonna get run. I think Self is going to have moments where he just says, I don't feel like playing Aj because he doesn't practice defense enough.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly it. AJ Storre is like a he's like a Kevin McCuller, but a really poorly fitting Kevin McCuller on this team.
Speaker 1: Kind of like positionally why is Yeah, I would agree with that. Yeah, he's a guy that you feel like than he is and is a downhill driver. But McCuller was obviously a good defender. A J. Storer has not been that good. And look at how different Bill self has treated both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know who else was a downhill driver? Bob Huggins For the Bob Huggins drive of the game, the off the backboard la oop that we referenced earlier, shout out to you. I believe it was David Cory. It might have been Ricky's pass war. We were not bigation this game, but good job, guys drives over to.
Speaker 1: Get pulled over. Be careful with with if you're driving into town that Bob Huggins is driving in this year, you never know, sir. Yeah, Yeah, the other players have not. He's oh, go ahead, talk about Bob. Can we start an extreme Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can we start an extreme sport which is putting Bob Huggins behind the wheel of a U haul and just sending them across the country.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say an him like the Santa tracker, But you can make get them Bob Huggins tracker.
Speaker 2: If you put a Bob Huggins tracker with a BAC unit in the car and then you can see where he was going. He probably would think he's in Cincinnati and being like Anchorage, Alaska talking to Sarah Palin and no one would have a clue what was going on. But I'm I would. I would pay my tax money to do this.
Speaker 1: And you could also then you could bet on it. Get DraftKings the partner in it. Which state will he wind up getting pulled over in? First? I think the.
Speaker 2: Value the value pick would be Alabama, but they're pretty wax because I feel like they would just be like, hey man, we'll just we'll drive you home.
Speaker 1: What are they? What are they doing down there? They they in Alabama? Reading well as Ryland Griffin could probably tell us because he got out of there. But he might miss it, considering he played for Natos to let him shoot a bunch of threes, and that looks like fun. It's like that shot that year. It's like wow. Going on to talk about the right place and the right time, Harry Christmas wolf Hey, Ricky's passport made a free throw. I don't know how what kind of transition that was, but it was a quickly get away from the Brandon Miller joke. Shaq May played fourteen minutes. He scored five points. It's good to see him get some run. And then the walk ups. Justin Cross made a basket to get the walk Ons a little closer to the prop bet. If I pointed, if I put five rand, uh, he's the best of the walk Ons. Yes, if I put the five. If I put five random people in front of you, like point at the guy who did this to you prison style, could you point out which one is Justin Cross? I, Uh, yeah, I could actually, but he doesn't look Yeah. I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've seen him enough. We saw him in late night in the fog a little bit and then I saw I just have a very vivid memory of uh. He had like two pick sixes essentially in the in the last minute of his game, and both of them ended with like a tragically long I think it was like Patrick Cassidy three points or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's that's the Patcher Cassidy and Wilder Ever has had three chances to add to the totals, but they missed and I wrote something very not nice there, So I'll just say that they missed. It was the missed pretty it was a sad good chance they have the No.
Speaker 2: I think Wilder Evers sounds like a budget like Minard's Home improvement store or like, what's that one that you go to is a Bass Pro Shops. It'd be like a budget Bass Pro shops Score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, and you'd see that they sell hunting gear, bow and arrows, and ammos nothing else.
Speaker 2: All of the guns they sell don't shoot on target, just like the walk Ons.
Speaker 1: There are guns that you shoot you don't know where the direction it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: Do you, like, realistically, do you think the walk Ons at Kansas are actually really good basketball players? Like if you put them on a Division two team, how do you think they hold up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think the better they are, actually, I do, I think that they're Yeah, I think that they'd be really, really good. I think that Okay could who would win in a one on one game? The worst walk on that Kansas has ever had, or Caitlyn Clark. Wow, that's tube. That is a rabbit hole in half.
Speaker 2: So I will tell you this and this Kaylin buckle up. Kaitlin Clark is an exception because she's unbelievable. But we had a lady that played for Michigan State. She was an all time scorer at leading score of Michigan State, that used to play pick up basketball at my gym. And I actually guarded her once and I did fine, and I'm not I'm not that good. So I will say, like, there's definitely a like people when they get the whole thing, like Caitlin Clark could play in the NBA. Like, no, it's no, I'm sorry that being said. If you take Kaylyn Clark and you put her against Tyler self, yeah, I don't know if he's the worst walkout.
Speaker 1: So Patrick So, Patrick Cassidy is a zero percent three point shooter. He has six one one five six one five. Caitlyn Clark is six. Like I like ifn Caitlin Clark's beating him and horse but if the Yeah, if it's one on one, I think Patrick Cassidy wins that game.
Speaker 2: He can, don't I think so? Right, Yeah, he can. I think it's just a matter of strength there. That's a great hypothetical world. By the way, did you see that Angel Reese was upset that she was injured because she thought she could win Player of the Year.
Speaker 1: I did see that. Yeah, and and I know that, So Cam tell the world you your tooth sense on Angel Reaes because I think that Angel Reese is is very pretty, very attractive, right, I do. I do think that. I also think she's very very She's very attracted to picking up all the missed bunnies that she has and then patting those rebounding stats.
Speaker 2: Well she Yeah, she's like the Wilt Chamberlain of the w NBA if Wilt Chamberlain missed every single way up and had twenty rebounds extra per game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Her.
Speaker 1: I don't like her. I think she's annoying whenever she would average a double double, but she would like shoot like thirty six percent from the floor to get there, right, yeah, Yeah, thirteen and thirteen for Angel rees this year while shooting thirty thirty four percent from the floor. Good lord, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: The ESPN app, so the ESPN app that always have like the game flow thing where it's like, I don't know, Steph Curry missed three point rebound by whoever. There was one screenshot, but I saw this year and it was like Angel Reese missed layup, Angel reefs rebound, Angel Reese missed layup, Angel Reaess rebound, and it went on like that for like four lines. I was like, oh man, yeah, I'll lose money every year.
Speaker 1: One hundred, one hundred and seventy two of her four hundred and forty rebounds this year, we're on the offensive end, and I am sane most of them would be for comparison's sake, sixty of those. Let's let's do the math on this, so hundred Dickinson by comparison this year, twenty six of his one hundred and thirteen rebounds are on the offensive end, which is what like twenty percent maybe probably a little bit less than that. And Angel Reese one hundred and seventy two of four forty six issounds. Oh that's wild. Yeah, that's very But she's richer than you, and.
Speaker 2: I will ever be, I guess yeah it, she'll be everage. Honestly, that doesn't do it. That's largely because I bet I'm like Chinese basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll call the hot line, call the hotline cam. It's okay.
Speaker 2: Uh So what are thes for advice?
Speaker 1: What are the sports? Could the women against men in sports is such as it's a challenging debate to walk on a stupid argument. But like, didn't the women's national World Cup soccer team lost to a high school boys team? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just it's like it's hard to be okay, So here's the best one you can make. I actually think it's golf is golf. You can't you can't have them play the same yardage. That's the problem. You can't have it on an equal playing field because the average LPGA driving distance, I think it's like two hundred and twenty one yards. The average PGA tour driving distance is like three.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be yeah, in the mid threes.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I just it's such a dumb argut, Like I think they're they're obviously amazing to what they do, but everyone brings that up and I'm just like, please stop.
Speaker 1: Bryceon d Chambeau was on a mister beasts video because as a monster, because what else what do you do? Yeah, he's and they had him compete against uh, they had him compete against just like a high school golfer and see like how he can how far you hit it? And it is legitimately unbelievable. Whenever he hits the ball, the ball just disappears from the camera's view. It just goes into space.
Speaker 2: No, it's your Like, So I played professionally for a minute, and I like, I I'm not long by those standards, but I'm not short. Like my average drive, I believe, is about to ninety five. So that's pretty much average, maybe a little bit blowing.
Speaker 1: Average fourth shots. Oh yeah, he would fly me by fifty. It's insane. Yeah, And it's just it just isn't. As you said, it's just not really fair to compare. In a lot of cases, golf is the closest. LP players are good, though, I will go there, they're really good. Women at professional women's athletes are good and everything, but whenever, like I believe, like, okay, here, what's your take on this. We've debated this on the show a long time. The five ITP hosts Ryan Land and Cam Nick and we'll throw We'll throw Daniel Cunningham in here for for good measure. Would the five of Us beat I'll start at the top with the obvious notes and you can work your way back. It's just the five of us. We don't get subs. Would the five of us jobs? Would the five of Us beat a w NBA team? Absolutely not. Would the five of Us beat any college women's basketball team?
Speaker 2: Potentially, if it's a team like that team that lost it was a men's team last year that lost by like Delta Valley or I don't remember what team it was, maybe one.
Speaker 1: You think the worst Naia women's basketball program in the country loses to Yes, at the five of Us.
Speaker 2: I do, because there's gonna be a school out there and I'm not gonna research this at all, just because I don't care enough. But I think that there is a school out there where it's like they just needed an extra sport and they don't really like it's not a real thing. I think that, yeah, that's that's that would happen. But you're talking, I mean we're talking like Bishop's Psychamore level of like women's like.
Speaker 1: See, I think the five of Us lose to like of women's high school teams. Probably yeah, probably, Yeah, well plays, yes, they know how to play. Be running around, and I will say Cam pulls the needle a lot closer because you're a good basketball player. Maybe a bit the rest of us are not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, but not even that. Like we'd have probably Daniel would be playing, Josh Briscoe would be in a suit on the sidelines. We have Scott Chasen with their analytics guy, and yes quit after the first half. Yeah, no, we'd probably lose Team I t P and we get Nick to make some jerseys. He's pretty good that graphic design stuff. Nick wants nothing to do with the show.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, and that's fair. That's totally fair. Nick wants so Nick, you and I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I think we would be you know, I'll do I'll do it with so I come back and I.
Speaker 1: Just landon and I do not think we would. So at some point we do have to settle this.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, I don't. I don't think middle school the size of difference.
Speaker 1: I think we would. I think middle school girls would beat us in some cases. That's the basketball players. I would be quiff Alexander against you. What's your average middle girl, like like five ft five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd be drinking like a six pack of medello and like like TV timeout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the conditioning would be the tough part. If we don't have any subs. The first quarter may go great. But some sad news for you, Cam your your your Caucasian persuasion man, Zach Clemton. He strained his groin. Wonder how that happened, Zach. He's going to be out a long time, unfortunately for for well, unfortunately for Kansas opponents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Cadillac Escalade of white man basketball, Zach Clembs is gone for a bit.
Speaker 1: But we'll be all right, We'll be fine, We'll get through it.
Speaker 2: We have Justin Cross and Patrick Cassidy.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm just now reading what you wrote, and oh that is hilarious. I almost read that and didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you would.
Speaker 1: Hey, it'd be you know what, that's the case, that's more important. Power to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, good for him. Hopefully he doesn't reproduce Kansas fifty percent from the floor, thirty six percent from three, seventy three percent from the line plus ten on the glass only had six true numbers. All of that is good. Brown sucks twenty seven percent from the floor. Maybe it's fifty five shots. Wow, I just read that from the notes. That is, uh, that's pretty bad.
Speaker 1: They're horrible. Yeah, at this point, the five of us might be able to beat Brown because they that's the worst team that I've seen play since Kansas beat I don't know, somebody last Center, the North Carolina Central probably Yeah, yeah, that's it's been a while. But a good game for Kansas is a good tune up. They got to experiment with a few different lineup things while not sacrificing anything on the court, and they enter They bounce back nicely from those two losses. They enter the conference late at nine and.
Speaker 3: Two Big Twelve games, which is just now the reoccurring weekly laugh at Jerome Tang segments because wow, you want to talk about burning through all those good graces, Cam, tell me about Kansas State and they're a complete nightmare of a season that's unfolding in front of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The biggest loser currently in the Big Twelve that doesn't have to do with weight loss shout out to Bob Huggins is no longer. There is once again Kansas State, who lost to which a state. They're now six and five on the year, and not only did they lose, they lost Big Lee eighty four to sixty five in a game they were actually favored.
Speaker 1: In.
Speaker 2: Jerome Tang kind of put on a clown nose and wig and he gave the Bill self wine the case State really shouldn't be scheduling them in these games because there is no benefits to them win or lose. And I think the difference here is that they are not Kansas, Duke, North Carolina or Kentucky, so they're not at the same level where they can really make that argument correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a team that's now better than you on Ken Palm.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: The whole notion of that spiel was that you're a top ten team playing a team that's in the one hundred is range. If you beat them, it doesn't help your numbers. If you lose to them, it hurts your numbers. That was Bill Sell's point with Missouri all those years. And whenever you're you can't say that, whenever you're perceived to be every bit as good by all the computers and the eye test as the team that you're referring to, and what just a weird thing. Jerome Tang was he man, and what's interesting about him is he won people over so quickly with a lot of the things he said, and now the things he says are burning all of that good grace. Like he got up on the microphone after they beat Kansas in his first year there, the Kansas team that was sixteen and one, they were number two in the country, and the up and coming Case State team with Noel and Johnson and those guys. They beat Kansas in overtime and Jerome Tang got on the table and said, Hey, from now on, no more chanting, expect to win. I would love to know their record since that game, because it is terrible. They they and like now people on Twitter are angry because they were told by their coach to expect to win, and they have people getting on them like, well, you can't expect to win? Where Kansas State? What the coach told us to that they Look how much money they gave Jerome Tang. This roster is expensive and it sucks.
Speaker 2: They do suck. The Cats just not looking great. Here's your random fact of the show. By the way, I speed of cats, big cat tigers. Fun fact, Bangladesh had a huge tiger attack problem, so tigers never attack their prey head on. So if you're ever in Bangladesh, make sure to wear a mask because people in Bangladesh started wearing masks that looked like they had a head on the back of their head, so the tigers would see that and go, can't do that. They're still looking. In some other remote country that I can't remember off the top of my head, some farmers started painting faces on the back of cattle's asses for the same reason.
Speaker 1: Really, that's that is a fascinating fact there. So tigers they like, they won't lunge. Get that in the Chronicles of Narnia style.
Speaker 2: No, And it's also funny to me because, like you think of it, you have a cat like a tiger that's just super hungry and pissed, because I think tigers are pissed in general, and they are just looking at a guy and they see like a mask, like I can't do that one. He's he's no, not not yet, I remember that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are, but if they if they really want to, you're you're cooked.
Speaker 1: I think I've whined last show about how the Cincinnati Bengals call them it's the jungle, and the Tigers don't live in jungles. Yeah, crazy, they live in the in the very cold forests of well Bangladesh, as you said, at least in.
Speaker 2: The in the cold streets of Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the hopeless streets of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Good fact, Cam, I always enjoy that segment. That one was really good. Kansas State there, what is Kansas State gonna do in Big twelve play? This feels like a team that's gonna they're gonna lose at least ten games. Well, they're either gonna full on collapse and turn on tang or they're going to go, you know, right around five hundred miss NCAA tournament. The Tank's probably gonna be off to somewhere else. Actually, probably won't though. He's a huge buyout. Yeah, he has a huge buyout. And remember Kansas State fans were stoked that he turned down the Arkansas job, and now a lot of them are saying I wish he had taken it. Coleman Hawkins is a two million dollar nil piece in Kansas State, getting two million dollars worth from their donors to spend on a basketball player. Like, here's the thing, Kansas and North Carol Line on those schools, they're never gonna have problems getting their donors to saddle up with with their reputations. No, but next time Jerome Tang goes to the donors and says, hey, guys, I know Coleman Hawkins didn't work out, but I got another guy in the portal. How about two million more? They're gonna be a lot more hesitant on that because Coleman Hawkins is averaging nine and seven uh to after and it's shooting thirty seven percent from the floor like he's been poor, and he had six points in this game wherever they got just smashed by an outside the top seventy five and Ken Palm which toast eight team, Yeah, and which law State's really not that good? It's very bizarre.
Speaker 2: I I it must be partially a chemistry thing. Maybe the guys that got in weren't that good. And then also a lot of a lot of KSE State fans are saying that Jerome Tang really is not good of a coach, which they can't draw to look back at his overtime record. No, and you look back at his overtime record.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can say his coaching, but I think some of that was luck. You're not gonna win every single overtime game. Some of that's gonna flip over at some point, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you you're completely right. If you look at in the history of sports, whether it's the NFL or college basketball or the NBA, typically in overtime games that go to overtime, if you look at what percentage of time the team entering with a better record wins, it is like fifty one percent. Like it is. It is exactly a coin flip once once it goes to overtime. So Jerome Tang in his career at Kansas State overall is eighty one in or excuse me, fifty one and thirty. Fifty one and thirty. It's sixty three percent winning percentage. He's twelve and one in overtime. So you take out overtime games and you have what thirty nine and twenty nine like that's that's that's like a fifty seven percent win percentage. If you just flip some of those overtime wins the losses. Let's say this isn't fair. He won, he won the games.
Speaker 2: What what did you say is winning percentage was at Kansas State sixty three percent. Sixty Okay, So here's your fun fact. Bruce Weber in his entire coaching career had a sixty two point two percent win percentage.
Speaker 1: Fascinating, isn't it. And Bruce Weber didn't have nil. And Bruce Weber didn't have all of those many many overtime wins, and he was undoubtedly a better coach when it comes to drawing things up. Yeah, let's say, let's say that tam tangas six and six in overtime instead of twelve and one or seven and six in overtime. And that's not real fair to say, because you know he did win those games. But that would bring if he was a five hundred overtime coach, that would bring his record at Kansas State to something like forty six and thirty seven, which would be what what What's what's forty six? That's eighty three games. That's a fifty five percent win percentage. That's barely five hundred. Like the overtime games is the only reason that his stats aren't like very very mediocre.
Speaker 2: That's so true, and I mean it's it's a hypothetical, but it is interesting to think about. And then the other other thing to point out is he actually does have talent on this team a lot of Bruce Weber teams. I mean he Bruce Weber actually did a really good job of getting some players that were maybe underrecruited a little bit and he actually did coach them relatively well. For as much as we did not like him, and I did not like him. Yeah, I don't think Jerome Tang is that good of a coach. I think he's kind of gotten. He struck lightning in a bottle having Marquis Nowell and then what was the guy's name was it.
Speaker 1: John Johnson? And those were Bruce Webers.
Speaker 2: Fines right, it's very Bruce Weber going to Illinois post Bill soelfaskue.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, that's exactly it. People. People laughed at Bruce for not being able to win with his own players, but Jerome Tang hasn't won with his own players either, And the direct look at coaching whenever he and like the Doug McDaniel, like, dude, you gotta get on the same page with your point guard. Can you imagine Bill Sell saying something like that, like you've got to get on the same page with the guy who's your team. You picked this guy out of the nil You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't sit there and be like I don't have a good relationship with my starting point guard. Like it's just so crazy. I think he's gone at the end of the year. Actually that's my hottake. Jerum Tang is such a big out though I know, but I think this. I honestly think the fans are gonna push him out.
Speaker 1: I think that the fans of Kansas State, who I saw sour on Bruce Weber and I've seen them go through. Remember Cam, there have been five different coaches that have coached at Kansas State that have made final fours. None of them made it at Kansas State. Like if you go back the last thirty years, Lon Krueger, Dana Altman, Bob Huggins, Frank Martin, Bruce Weber, all five of them made a Final four. None of them made one a case State like they have been through some coaching year blo. And they are souring on Tang very very quickly. Who so we forget sometimes Jerome Tang was a bench coach for eighteen years like he never he never was a head coach, and now, well you might be he might be seeing why number nineteen Cincinnati got a nice road win at number twenty two Dayton on Friday night, Good Night for the Big Twelve. They won sixty six to fifty nine to move to nine, and won despite some officiating that really wasn't in their favor. They are currently the fourth highest ranked team in the conference. How are you anticipating their season to go?
Speaker 2: I actually then kind of right about where they're ranked. Maybe fourth or third would be my guest, But again, I don't know what's scheduling.
Speaker 1: I think Cincinnati is really good. I like their roster. They returned a lot of their pieces from last year. They have a pretty good home court advantage. You see teams that haven't been up to standards like Kansas State and Arizona and Houston to this point, but Cincinnati's probably been the lone team in the conference that you can definitively say is better than we thought they would be. They're a good squad, and I think they'll contend for a top three Big Twelve finish. They look good. Yeah, I could see it.
Speaker 2: The only other Big twelve team the loss is Utah, who played Iowa for some reason.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a matchup that nobody cares about, including the people in Utahi and Iowa. The ninety five points hung on them. Yeah, unless Scalen Clark is in attendants and or replays, they got ninety five points hung on them, which is wild.
Speaker 1: Why on earth is Utah in the Big twelve? Money at your March, Yeah, because it's the mister crabs I like money clip from the SpongeBob movie. Because htt your Mark has never ever ever seen a dollar opportunity that he didn't like. Oh, neither is Travis goff NAEs. Yeah, that's why it says f NBO on the Kansas logo. Other games, Hubert Davis Gluesniffer, as you always point out, finally got a win over a team you've heard of, and it only took until the weekend before Christmas to get it. Razy North Carol North Carolina defeated number eighteen UCLA seventy six to seventy four in the first game of the CBS Sports Classic, which is usually better than it is this it was this year because in the other game, Number four Kentucky got crop dusted by Ohio State, losing by it twenty points eighty five to sixty five. So I picked Ohio State to beat Auburn, and they had it in them. It just came against a different SEC team Kentucky. Kentucky got pants man. They're projected to go nine to nine on Ken Pum in the SEC. They are. They are very bearish when metrics are on Kentucky.
Speaker 2: I think they're slightly better than that. But I also Ken Palm was right on Kansas last year, so maybe they will be correct. Also in the broadcast, yeah, they did. In the broadcast before the Kentucky Ohio State game, whoever it was on CBS said two blue bloods and then said Kentucky and Ohio State, and I about threw my remote.
Speaker 1: Hey they're overusing that word. We canna admit that. But yeah, if Ohio you got to get through about twenty teams before you get to Ohio State. Yeah, they're conversation good and Ohio State had a good sports weekend because Ryan Day, Yeah, case to be the rightful owner of the State of Tennessee. Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: He stuck his flag in the State of Tennessee like Michigan did. In their horseshoe Clear's Day, number one team in the country but ranked number two in the AP poll because the old goobers who vote are morons. Auburn destroyed yet another quality opponent, overwhelming number sixteen for due eighty seven to sixty nine to get.
Speaker 1: To eleven to one. In the year.
Speaker 2: Auburn already has wins over Houston, Iowa State, North carolinam Physical, Ohio State, and Purdue, with most of them being blowouts, and yet somehow they're still ranked number two because the AP poll sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's terrible Auburn. Everybody knows is should be. They voted number one right now. They are the best team in the country. Uh and the and the uh. They also had the Johnny Broome injury right that that he didn't have to have surgery, so they're gonna get him back too. Uh. They are just an absolute juggernaut. And my my only worry about them is did they peak too early. They're gonna get beat up a little bit with the physicality of SEC play. I don't mean beat up is and they're gonna lose a bunch, but it's gonna be a really competitive and uh and physical League, so we'll see what they look like at the end of the year. But clear as day number one team AP voters do it wrong. Cam's favorite coach in the world, Tom is though he's on a roll. I know that warms your heart at this.
Speaker 2: Time of year, Cam ah Man, They are good. I actually, actually do think Michigan State is really good this year.
Speaker 1: I'm I wonder if Michigan State where they'll finish in the Big ten this year, because I'm not exactly I think they win it like that. Who are their top tenders like Michigan Actually, yeah, Michigan.
Speaker 2: I think Michigan is pretty solid and Michigan is good, but I don't think there is good as don't I don't think there as good as Michigan State.
Speaker 1: And UCLA is there right like UCLA is the It's gotta take some time to get used to that.
Speaker 2: There's no tall there's no task too tall for mc cronin unless it's actually grabbing something off a store shelf.
Speaker 1: Like whatever people joke about. Mccronin'site number twenty. Michigan State beat FAU by a lot. They're eight and one now since losing the Kansas and the Champions Class like, I'm sure you're very happy for their fans.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for like three of them that I'm really good friends with, and the rest of them not so much. Zoobie Edge of four, who I've actually seen Kansas fans on Twitter say should be here over Hunter Dickinson, which makes me also want to heat myself into existence. Oblivion made a buzzer beater as Saint John's beat Providence on the road, and he is averaging fifteen points in eight rebounds per game playing for slick Rick Patino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who I would want to play for, by the way, if I could play for any college coaching so too. Actually he's such a sweete ball scum bag. But he's so oh he's I bet yeah he cool? Is he's He's the definition of cool, even though he looks like a vampire. Some other noteworthy results here number nine Marquette barely beat Xavier on the road to get to two and oh and Big East Play. Number eleven Yukon barely beat Butler on the road to get to two and oh and Big East Play. And number five Duke smashed Georgia Tech on the road to reach two and oh in acc play. I fear that Auburn and Duke are the best two teams in the country right now, and time will tell if that wills up, because I don't trust John Shire at all.
Speaker 2: I don't either, but I think Duke will continue to get better, and I think Auburn is either at their peak or they're playing at close to their peak, and it'll be a question of whether they can maintain it for the entire year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just an impossible level to maintain. Auburn's gonna go through a funk. We saw Yukon look like world beaters last year. They went through a stretch where they lost like three out of eight and then they want ended up being world beaters. Like it happens. Just because they go through a stretch at some point doesn't mean that they won't end the year as hot as they started it. But it's going to be really, really hard for Auburn to match this level that they played for two months for the whole year. Ranked teams to lose since the last time we had a podcast, only one in the top fifteen and it was a blowout. Number four Kentucky went down for the second time this year. They lost to the Buckeyes, not the Ryan day one. But the other one yep.
Speaker 2: Number sixteen, Perdue lost to Auburn.
Speaker 1: Who even is Ohio State's basketball coach?
Speaker 2: No idea, I actually have no idea. It's definitely not Fat Mada.
Speaker 1: It is Jake Diebler, who I didn't know who that person was until till today. No idea, Yeah, absolutely, no idea. He is in his first season because he took over as the interim coach last year when they fired Chris Holtman in the middle of the year. He is the assistant that got promoted and that never really goes very well. So we'll see if it works better for Ohio State than it is most programs. Number eighteen UCLA and there very short coach lost to North Carolina. Hiight, jokes are great.
Speaker 2: Number twenty one Memphis lost Mississippi State and it was not particularly close.
Speaker 1: Memphis just Peter Totter is on this list. One week, they're on it because they're a ranked team to lose, and the next theme they're on it because they're the team that beat a random ranked team.
Speaker 2: I think it's because they like get talent. But Penny Hardaway socks as a coach like from an exodus.
Speaker 1: No standpoint so they just watched the last Just watch the last few minutes of that game in Maui against Yukon. If you want to know how good of a coach execution that that old penny is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's the reason he's a penny and not a quarter.
Speaker 1: Hey, I like that joke. All right, ask ARCB. You guys did a good job getting us questions and a short amount of time. Have eleven questions to blow through here as we talk about all of the things that are Kansas basketball at show me Hawk, would you rather have Kansas finish fourth in the Big Twelve and win the Big Twelve Tournament or have them finish the Big Twelve as the league champion but lose in the first round of the tournament. Great question? So, well, hm you go of those two options. I don't think that the second option is bad enough to keep me from picking it, because in the overall body of work, winning a Big Twelve title and having anho in the first round of the Big Twelve tournament is not usually enough to hurt you on the seed line. But I thought originally this question was going to be would you rather have them win a Big Twelve title but not be playing very well at the end of the year versus they finished fourth, but they win the Big Twelve title and they're assenting at the right time. That's what I would rather have. I would rather have a team that is playing at its best entering the tournament, and typically the ones that get hot in Big Twelve tournament week. Usually that doesn't lead to any sort of correlation. Remember last year wherever we saw Auburn red hot won the SEC tournament fizzled out in the first round. It doesn't always work that way, where the team that gets really, really hot and wins their league tournament winds up carrying it over. I'll still take it, but it's not the guaranteed success you think. I'll take.
Speaker 2: Probably the regular season title. I think did Did the twenty twenty two team win the Big Twelve?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They won both of them? Okay, so the.
Speaker 2: Both title teams won the Big Twelve. I'm gonna go with with history on this one. Take the regular season title. Although I get the angle of being hot at the right time, but again not much of correlation at ardi.
Speaker 1: Evans eleven asks what does Bill self get in his stocking? And is kJ Adams with no pants? Bosley Hey, now that hasn't been confirmed.
Speaker 2: It's say, yeah, we'll go with that. I think it's uh yeah. The kJ Adams one was good, though.
Speaker 1: It's a rug at Elliott rus in h one rank your best three to five, get the ball, give me the ball, and get a bucket. Scorers in the self era, Oh man, Uh well, Davante and Frank are both on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are the first two. My last one I think is might even be Sean Collins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you have to. I think you have to put him in there. He was the definition of a get me the ball. I'm gonna put the team on my back. I think Thomas Robinson's probably in there as well. He would demand the basketball and he would always do good with it when they really needed him. And I mean, honestly, a guy like Zikemeo was getting up there. Oh ch I have Bozi's up there, very clutch. Was a guy who demanded the ball, and and uh that, I'm still for my number five options. I only have one more pick. I'm gonna say November twenty eighteen, La Gerald Vick because that was just a super of a basketball player. He was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Then, uh yeah, you know what, through give me, give me the gerald Vick in there as well, because I only have three.
Speaker 1: And then my last one.
Speaker 2: I golly, I don't want to go all guards, but I think I almost have to. You know what I was, give me you know what, I'm torn. I was gonna say sweet because at.
Speaker 1: Duke's a good call too. I he was so convinced La gerald Vick Senior La gerald Vick was was going on.
Speaker 2: I mean, rafters, I know, but he the thing with speeds he can't make. He he couldn't really create his own shots. So I think you can't really can't really give him that one.
Speaker 1: Right, That's why it's that's why it's you you really have to go. And Thomas Robinson wasn't great at creating his own shot, but he with how efficient he was, no no one cares. Yeah, that's that's all I can think of. Thought good questions. Here's a great one for you, cam At Jay Rodriguez Underscore ninety eight. I know who you want to say, but he's no longer. He's no longer a big twelve coach. You can't say it. Which big twelve head coaches would make the best and the worst. Mal Santas, the best and the worst.
Speaker 2: I think the worst one would be Jerome Tang because when the kid got up there, he'd speak in a slightly slightly slow lisp that sounds kind of like that guy from the Looney Tunes was a sucker and suck attash guy.
Speaker 1: That's what he talks like. He'll spit all over the child. Uh, the best just be weird.
Speaker 2: It'd be really weird. He'd be like, what do you want from Christmas? While you sit on my lap? God, and he probably enjoyed it too, and the.
Speaker 1: Kid would say the kid would the kid would say like I want a truck or I want to row on a dollar whatever. In Jerome Tang would start talking about how, hey, we need to be winners, we need to make sure that that. He start giving this long little dismiss spiel, and like it'd just be like, Okay, I just wanted my toy Santa cheese he'd give him. Yeah, yeah, that would be it. Yeah. Well that also that answer also works for what I was gonna say, which is Scott Drew. Scott Drew is just kind of a dweeb. I don't know. He Yeah, I don't know. If i'd want him to be my mol standa Bill Soelf would be a good Molsanda for being honest.
Speaker 2: I think Bill Soft would be good.
Speaker 1: Maybe Tommy Lloyd. Tommy Lloyd's good. I'm trying to think. I don't even know now because his team Mark Pope would have been really good. But he's not there anymore.
Speaker 2: All the worst, actually the real worst want to be Jamie Dixon. I feel like smells dude. Like looking at his hair, you just don't get good vibe. No, he looks like a skunk.
Speaker 1: Hey, at least at least Mark Adams isn't there anymore to you know people?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that's he'd only serve a certain type of child.
Speaker 1: And Chrisby, Oh I get it now, that's funny. Yeah. Also also from at Jay Rodriguez and His'screw ninety eight, When, if ever, did you stop believing in Santa? I still believe in the magic of Santa. Sir Santa comes tonight and I'm excited for it. Yeah, I'll go with that. I think I was like nine or ten, and it was probably as I did. I did. Yeah, I did all the math and I it just it didn't make sense. This human being could not be in seven million different people's houses in one night. Just mathematically it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ryan was the only child to pull out like at a sketch, do like the Pythagorean theorem and be like, well, if he left Newark, New Jersey by seven, he couldn't make it a Detroit.
Speaker 1: By eight exactly true. Like, I know that we're making jokes, but that's absolutely the stuff that trumps six year old Ryan. That's so they did at the at DS. Conscious says, oh what request drop two? How big come and correct? As a life lifelong listener here, how long or how big of a is Kirk Hyde Street listen or Herb Street listening to the uh to the to the college football playoff comments? Area, he sucks? You don't like him? No, have you heard all of his complaining about the I do like him. I think he's good on Thursday Night football. But he's been a total cranky pants about all the college football playoffs and complaining about how that's good and he's just been a negative nancy and and like, look, I didn't hear any of it. We don't have to have Alabama every time we play a football tournament. We don't have to have them. No, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I was at a sports bar during like the Ohio State game, and some just clinically insane man said next means started talking about bitcoins.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear any of it at all. Art Casey, if you had could have one superpower, what would it be. I think there's two. There's two that you're choosing between every time. One is super speed slash flying, take your pick there, and two is invisibility. Those are the two superpowers. Both answers are wrong. Xtra vision just so I can see Sidney Sweeney's nipples exactly. When you think about when you think about all of the things that you're giving up, like all the things that being able to fly could do for you. That's just because you wanted to see Sidney Sweeney's nipples.
Speaker 2: But think about like the career choices you could have. You could be the head t s a guy like they wouldn't and yeah you.
Speaker 1: Could just you could just look and be like that guy's got a razor blade strapped to his hip. How do you know that? Oh, I just tell just get a vibe.
Speaker 2: Theoretically, you could have prevented nine to eleven, and then you'd have been a nash Hero and then the domino effect would have happened and we probably wouldn't be here.
Speaker 1: And all because nineteen Pricks brought box cutters on planes. Now we have to take our shoes off the airport twenty years later, like ridiculous. I think I think the shoe thing was the unibomber's fault, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I think it was Wilder Evers popped on a Boeing seven seven.
Speaker 1: I think that that was the unibomber. I think that the the nine to eleventh thing changed the rules on like box cutters. So yeah, a little story. In twenty sixteen, I was in college and my dad and I went to Boston to watch the Royals play at Fenway and I had a little like novelty baseball bat. It's like a foot long and it was covered in signals and I took I took it up there. You know exactly where this is going. I took it up there to you know, get signed by the Royals players and those TSA agents they gave like they were like, this is a weapon. You cannot bring this on the airplane. And I'm like, it's a it's a twelve inch baseball bat, it's covered in signatures. I could hit you in the knee with it. You wouldn't even notice. It's tiny, like this must be checked as the flight is getting ready to depart. And I couldn't believe how they thought that this thing was a weapon. So yeah, we had to go through the whole process of getting paying for a bag just to check that because all the other bluggage was already on the airline, which I think. I don't think that they thought that I was gonna hurt anybody with it. I think they just wanted to make the airport an extra twenty five bucks on another bag.
Speaker 2: It's the tip top of the Iceberg conspiracy right here, folks, and inside the politics.
Speaker 1: Paint Yep, it's what. And every time my wife brings an ice pack on a plane, like one of those gel ice packs, it flung to the TS legal security check it is technically, but they have to look at it and while there are schwabs over it and everything and make sure it's not like explosive powder or something like that. Craziness. Man, I think if I could have one superpower, unless I can say, like you know, invincibility, where like you can like you're immortal or whatever. I don't know if that counts. I think be for me. I it's I see. I think I've rather be like be able to run like Dash from the Incredibles than fly. I don't know. I just think that sounds like I would have more use for it. It wouldn't be as cold anywhere, right, Yeah, Like if I could, like I gotta go to the grocery store real quick, Like being able to fly, would it help you that much? Unless you can fly at the speed of sound. But I don't want to go to the grocery store and drive up there. Oh I can run and be there in four seconds. I think that's better than flying.
Speaker 2: I have a meme in my phone somewhere that I'll send to our notes next time. And it's literally Nicki Minaj in a thong in place of a jet that's launching, and it looks like she's shooting flames out of her butt like turned towards the camera.
Speaker 1: It's awesome, like a like a rocket ship and all the things. Yeah, I don't need to see Lizzo and I don't need to see Nicki Minaj.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's not even that. But I also photoshop Tiger Wood's face onto it. I don't remember why exactly.
Speaker 1: That's pretty funny. And his son is now a freaking dynamite star in the making. He's pretty good. Yeah, he's going to be very good at Preston Skirtstick. Name your top five board games, Oh, boy, board games. I'm a big board game Monopoly. I'm not a big strategy board game guy. I like the simpler ones, But I'm with you on Monopoly. I have not played a game of Monopoly and more than five years because none of my friends and family will play it with me. I'm undefeated lifetime in Monopoly. Uh and and no one will play with me because they say I act like the Trump of Monopoly. I'm apparently a big a big real estate order. Yeah you do.
Speaker 2: You only sell the Caucasians to play.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't sell anything, sir. If they you can't lose Monopoly. If you don't give anybody any monopolies via trade.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think mine would be Monopoly. I liked Sorry Hungary Hippos was really stupid, but I have that in my childhood for some reason.
Speaker 1: Really fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to like checkers a little bit, and then I used to play There was a chess club at my school and there was this really weird kid, really weird dude that ran it named mister Knight, really strange man. But I played chess there too, so I'll throw that in there, all right, you.
Speaker 1: Could probably beat me in chess, see I remember I couldn't. I don't remember it. I like Quelf as a party game. Like, I like that's that's one of the more well known but also still kind of obscure party games.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I take it to rides on my list too. Got to play that at some point. That game looks really funny. Oh yeah, but I am a big when it comes to competitiveness. You will not see more venom in someone's eyes then you'll see whenever you put a candy Land board in front of me. That is what I forgot about that game. It's about to go down when the candy Land game comes out. Yeah, that takes chess and like for me, Cards against Humanity and those type of games aren't technically board games, they're card games, but those are also in there. I'm a big my sister. So what my sister does for me every year is she makes a custom version of a popular board game that is themed like like our childhoods or our adult lives, and it's really freaking creative, and it's it's so cool, like she redid the Game of Life as like, you know, actually went out and got like a Game of Life board and put stickers on all the spaces that are like things that have happened over the course of our childhoods, things like that. So I have gotten I've gotten really into board games through but most of the board games that I've played are like the custom version, so like it's hard for me to to really relate to like the classic versions. But board game I'm a it's and this is a time of year where everybody should be playing ONTs of board games too. Board games are are meant to be playing at Mayo Zke Schuner. When Ryland Griffin is on the court, Zeke Mayo has been cooking. When Ryland Griffin is off the court, Mayo wasn't able to get as good as looks and missed a couple of shots. Is it's safe to say that his shot gravity and defense make Griffin the third most important player after Want and Hunter. He's not more important than Zeke Mayo, but that is an interesting stat that I didn't even find out. That's a really good stat. Good question.
Speaker 2: And then also I do agree that having more shooters on the floor tends to space it out just because people have to pay attention to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it absolutely makes sense why that would be the case. At brooks sosaurus forty one, what is your current outlook and projected finish in Big twelve play? Is the four guard ever going to be the majority of the minutes? I don't think it will be as much as I'd like it to be. I say they win the Big Twelve. I say they win the Big twelve and go SEC and four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if they I hope they win the Big Twelve because I have a future spath that relies on it.
Speaker 1: Allegedly, I can tuck he's gonna kill that, betsir.
Speaker 2: I know they will. I have like six of them. That doesn't matter. I golly man, I think Kansas finishes second in the Big Twelve. As much as I hate to say it, I think they lose to Iowa State. And no, I don't think the four guard lineup comes out. And last, it might come out at some point.
Speaker 1: But last question from at Bill's fool's gold. When are we going to stop pretending like kJ is this big effort energy guy And there's a video of Zekemeo missing a three and kJ not going one D and percent for a rebound, and I get it, like we get cherry pick. There's there's plays like that for everybody. kJ is the best real is the best hustle guy on the team though. That is what he does best. Yeah, and some guys are gonna take plays off, which as much as that the camera catches, I'm like, I'm not gonna discount it too much. Whenever there's there's a video of him not going full out for one rebound, because have you seen him rebound? He probably wasn't getting it anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also the last game, when you were talking about the fact he had a career higd rebounds, you do you realize that two of those rebounds came within the last minute on like long shot attempts.
Speaker 1: Correct, right, Yeah, that for kJ to get a rebound, that comes down to some fluky stuff, especially when you play that many games, and that goes for anyway you get a career high in rebounds, they're gonna have to get a couple of breaks to go their way. Yeah, I agree. If you ever have asked RCB is used Twitter hashtag ask RCB, Yeah, yeah, babe. Soundboard website has not been functioning well recently, but it doesn't really need to today because we don't have a game to preview. We're not gonna preview. Uh, we're not gonna preview the West Virginia game yet. That'll be on the next show. And on the next show because we won't have a game to recap, we'll talk about non com play and preview Big twelve. So everybody who's wanting a little bit more in depth analysis on how we think the Big twelve is going to go, that's coming. I think that'll come out this weekend. But if you're listening to this before Christmas, have a great holiday season. If you're listening to it afterwards, we hope it was Mary and Grand Hopefully that good. Hopefully, we hopefully believe that good things are on the docket for Kansas in the twenty twenty five year, and we'll just have to see. We'll see what Bill does. This is Inside the Paint Podcast on Rock Chuck Blowing. I'm Ryan Landrath and.
Speaker 2: I'm Cam Lippele And if you're listening to this on Christmas Day and my political jokes offend someone in your family, please shoot them into oblivion, into outer space. Don't worry about it. It's the holidays.
Speaker 3: They'll for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the holidays. It's not gonna be there. Don't shoot them to deal with right, Yeah, don't actually shoot them. You don't actually shoot them. Cam May I was gonna say, Cam made the Brandon Miller jokes. That doesn't mean you have to follow in those body STAPs. As much as.
Speaker 2: Grandma was in the wrong place at the wrong time, which she made that joke about tariffs.
Speaker 1: And well as as as our soon to be president once said, get that son of a bitch of podcast. Oh man, that's you, Cam, that's you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm on my way. Merry Christmas everybody.
Speaker 1: Now, Bob Huggins just crashed into my house.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Bob Huggins would continue driving through your house though.
Speaker 1: He finish his job. Yep, somebody somebody say bye or somebody behave. I don't care which one. High Landing