Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We have been awaiting this press conference from Mayor Karen Bass about a major announcement they say regarding the Pacific Palisades recovery efforts after the fires.
Speaker 2: Here she is.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight days, the EPA removed three hundred tons of hazardous materials such as lithium batteries, burned pesticides, and propane tanks. More than forty properties have successfully completed both Phase one and Phase two. I want to thank the US Army Corps of Engineers for your urgent work. I also want to thank the administration for making sure that we had the staffing in order to move so quickly, and also our.
Speaker 4: Governor who has always been with.
Speaker 3: Us every step of the way, and the collaboration between the city and the county and every level of government. So almost sixty individuals now are entering what I call Phase three, which is the permitting and rebuilding process. Our sweeping emergency executive orders cut through red tape and bureaucratic delays to expedite this recovery operation.
Speaker 4: We worked to expedite.
Speaker 3: The reopening of schools and childcare centers. Through executive orders, we delivered tax relief for impacted businesses and weigh twenty twenty five business taxes.
Speaker 4: I recently signed city ordinances.
Speaker 3: That were passed by the city Council to temporarily halt evictions for tenants, housing, people or pets displaced by the wildfires, and prohibit price gouging, including by private contractors offering debris removal and rebuilding services.
Speaker 4: During a declared state of emergency, we.
Speaker 3: Opened the Disaster Recovery Center and more than seven thousand Angelinos have.
Speaker 4: Visited there and received services.
Speaker 3: Just about every governmental agency you can imagine is there to help people, as well as any nonprofits. We stood up four new impacted Worker and Family centers, and those centers provide services for the individuals who worked in the homes on the property are in the commercial areas to provide them with direct resources, including cash assistance and also the ability to find jobs, and interestingly, jobs are available to help with the debris removal process. Twice a week, we've hosted webinars specifically for the residents of Palisades to make sure that they had all the information that they would need in terms of every aspect of recovery and rebuilding. And then we opened the one Stop Rebuilding Center, where we have twelve city departments, a one stop shop where you can go in and begin the planning and permitting process.
Speaker 4: Now, we also had to take action to show.
Speaker 3: Up the burn areas by installing concrete barriers, sandbags, and other equipment to rein force vulnerable areas.
Speaker 4: Before the rain, I.
Speaker 3: Worked with Governor Newsom to ensure homeowners can access as built plans and allow the city to automatically reissue permits for homes built in recent years.
Speaker 4: But our eyes are focused ahead.
Speaker 3: Last week I reiterated our commitment to the undergrounding of power lines, protecting water supplies, and ensuring that landscaping.
Speaker 4: Is fire resistant.
Speaker 3: And next week I'll be using my emergency executive powers to direct city departments to create a new accelerated path for Angelinos who want to build in a more resilient way, and I'll be taking action to make sure that infrastructure more fireproof and resilient is built in the face of worsening climate threats. The past two months have been a defining time for our city. We will continue to do all that we can to bring this community home. And now I want to introduce our CEO and Chief Engineer of the Los Angeles Water and Power Department, Jennie Kenyoni.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mayor Boss.
Speaker 5: We are very pleased to join you here today and announcing the lifting up that do not drink advisory that has been in effect on polic days since January tenth.
Speaker 1: We were able to be all right, we are going to pull away here. We will monitor any pertinent information coming out of this news conference. This is essentially about Karen Bess coming out behind the microphone and saying I'm in charge here.
Speaker 2: That was a fun dog and pony.
Speaker 1: Show we saw at city Hall this week with Kristin Crowley, the fire chief that I fired. I'm paraphrasing, obviously, trying to show that I was wrong when I had said that she mismanaged this fire in the Palisades at least, and I'm back, I'm here, and I'm ready to make sure that we don't see this kind of destruction again. Talking about how she has a commitment to underground power lines, bolstering water supply, the fact that they have cut out a lot of red tape. If you listen to people in the Palisades, they say that they would like more of that that. You know this, if you've ever gone through a disaster, whether it's wildfire, earthquake, any sort of damage to your home, the paperwork alone is just maddening. It's overwhelming, it's too much, and you're hearing a lot about people in the Palisades saying that is just the case too, a lot of paperwork that means nothing, and they'd like to have that streamline so they can start rebuilding. So we will stay on top of this monitor all the information coming out of there, but not a major announcement, just Karen Bass basically saying, all right, now that the drama's over, let's get to work and let's put back this community and see what we can do as a city. We may have failed them, she did not say that, but they may have been failed by the city, but they're going to make sure that they try to do things that they can and take a victory lap for there for the Palisades Committee post fires. All right, the breaking news out of Washington is that Trump, much like we saw yesterday where he grants this month long reprieve to the Big Three to the auto industry, saying that there will be no tariffs. We heard yesterday from experts in the industry that there could be new car prices inflated between six and twelve thousand dollars. So Trump got off the phone with the Big three and said, all right, Essentially, the auto industry is very important to us, and we want to keep them happy. So we'll give you at least a month to figure things out in terms of Mexico and Canada because the supply chains are so convoluted when it comes to the auto industry. Well, today he got off the phone with Mexico's president and says that Mexico will be granted a month long reprieve on tariffs on goods that fall under the existing free trade agreement with the US. So we talked yesterday about how as early as this week, specifically with Mexico, you'd see avocados, strawberries, bananas, all those prices rising because we rely so much on Mexico at this time of year, during the winter for produce, fruits and veggies. When we come back, we'll talk more about what this means. Is it going to be just a month?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: The tariffs pushed back until April second. That was the date where Trump told us during his address to Congress that We're going to be playing hardball with countries globally when it comes to what we pay, what they pay, and the back and forth with the goods. So we'll get into all what it all means and we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty man.
Speaker 1: Sometimes material just writes itself, doesn't it. Don't you wish when you see some of these things play out that you were a writer for one of the late night comedy shows where you could just make fun of things that you hear all the time, like what happened this morning with Mayor Karen Bass and everybody at City Hall putting out this massive advisory, major announcement regarding the Palisades fire, big to do? What's gonna happen? What is she going to announce? Oh my gosh, where has she been? We had all of that talk about Mayor Karen Bass at City Hall this week when Kristin Crowley begged for her to her job back at the fire department, and how Karen Bass lied about what she did or didn't do correctly and haven't heard from Karen Bass. And then all of a sudden, we get this huge announcement from the Mayor's office, big announcement this morning at nine. And then they try to create suspense and say it's going to be at nine thirty, and you're listening to all of the morning news shows and they're all a flutter. Oh, a big announcement with the fire. Oh my goodness, what's going on with the Palisads? What the hell are they going to announce? Really, they can announce it. All the homes have been rebuilt. No, what possible could be a major announcement. Well, here it is, folks, Here was the big announcement. I kept waiting for a they're there, and we monitored and continue to do so with what's coming out, but not a not a moocho. Okay, And here was the big thing. And this is what I'm talking about when I say the material rights itself. Mayor Karen Bass says all remaining do not drink water orders will be lifted tomorrow for La DWP customers in the Palisades fire burn area. The word is this, customers are being advised to run the water from all of their faucets for ten minutes to fully clear the lines before drinking the water. Show me one person in the Pacific Palisades that drinks water out of the tap. I mean, I'm not trying to be funny when I ask that question. I just want to know if there's one of them. I just I just don't see that being the case. And also LA is now saying you can drink the water. Oh, thank you so much, Mayor. So we're not a third world country where it's unsafe to drink the water. What we can drink the water again two months after the fires.
Speaker 2: Came through our area. Thank you so much for getting it together. That's so great. We can drink the water. We can actually drink our city's water.
Speaker 1: We paid sixteen million dollars from this home that has been damaged in a fire, and now two months later we can finally run the water.
Speaker 2: Great job.
Speaker 1: So glad you came back from your trip and made things right again. I mean, is it really an accomplishment that you can drink the water out of the faucet in Los Angeles? I mean, this isn't Haiti. This shouldn't be a major accomplishment. This shouldn't be something that we take a victory lap for two months after the fact. And then on top of that, like the people and palisades are drinking out of the tap.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, that's very funny, that's very sweet.
Speaker 1: They haven't drank out of the tap there for about sixty years since the advent of bottled water and special water and electrolyte water and magical princess sparkle water. Okay, but we will stay on top of that as well. The big news, of course coming out of Washington today, and we were kind of expecting some movement on the tariffs yesterday when we saw the Commerce Secretary go on all of the news shows and say, well.
Speaker 2: You know, we're not we're not hard set on this. There's probably gonna be some movement.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be complete tariffs, but it won't be zero percent tariffs. And then yesterday the President got on the horn with the Big three, the big three automakers in this country, who said, this is going.
Speaker 2: To be a huge blow.
Speaker 1: New car prices are going to go up by twelve thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: We need this can't be a thing.
Speaker 1: So the President said, all right, let's pause this for at least a month. Today, he gets off the phone with Mexican President Claudia Shinbaumb and comes up with this same solution temporarily, that Mexico will be granted a month long reprieve on tariffs on goods that fall under the existing trade agreement. Here is the Trump post on social media. He wrote, after speaking with President Claudia Shinbaum of Mexico, I have agreed that Mexico will not be required to pay tariffs on anything that falls under the trade agreement. This agreement, he writes, is until April second. I did this as an accommodation and out of respect for President Shinbaum. He went on to say, our relationship has been a very good one. We're working hard together on the border, both in terms of stopping illegal aliens from entering the US and likewise stopping fentanyl. Thank you to President Shinebaum for your hard work and cooperation. When you read between the lines of Trump's addressed to Congress, he wants a good deal for America. He wants a good deal for America when it comes to our trade partners in Canada and Mexico being the closest ones to US, and he also looking ahead to April wants good deals from other countries. The way he put it, it sounds like, in his opinion, we're getting fleeced by countries globally when it comes to imports and exports and what they charge and what we charge. So I know everyone's got their hair on fire, and I know the markets have not been kind to this news, although they have course corrected with these repriefs that have been handed out. But dare I say this may end up being a good thing in the long term when it comes to our agreements with trade and other countries. If we are getting fleeced, and again, I don't know. I haven't gotten the weeds on a granular level, line by line and seeing how much each country is charging for what it is we import an export, But it's worth a look, see I think anyway, coming up and next, Ai chatbots. AI is a fun topic to talk about, isn't it, just because we're just at the beginning, we're just at the onset, and now they're talking about AI chatbots.
Speaker 2: You as counselors.
Speaker 1: We've talked about it for adults before and about how this is a thing, but now they're talking about using them as counselors for your children about high schools using AI chatbots as school therapists.
Speaker 2: Tell you where we're at with that idea. When we return, you're.
Speaker 5: Listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty well chatbots.
Speaker 1: They are infiltrating all parts of our lives, and that's one conversation. But when they start infiltrating the children's lives, that's another, isn't it. That's the troubling stuff. It's comical when we talk about AI and us using it or us falling victim to it. It's kind of funny. It's kind of like, what is this whole AI thing? And now when you talk about the kids, it's kind of scary, not kind of it is. There was a long time Bay Area college and career counselors names John sip Noo and John De developed a chat bot during the pandemic. This chatbot could answer high schoolers questions about future education options because remember the pandemic, kids weren't going to school, which made sense. Kids were not going to school and so everything was online and this was one way to help kids have kind of a bridge to a counselor like answer in absence of the counselors right at the schools. So John was using IBM's question answering precursor to chat GPT. You remember it, It was called Watson, but when generative AI became accessible, he knew it was a game changer. An AI powered chatbot that's trained on information about college and careers designed to mimic human speech means that students at Making Waves Academy charter school in the East Bay up there in Richmond could soon text an AI copilot to chat about their futures. The idea is they can get basic questions out of the way at any hour before a meeting with counselors for more targeted conversations. But you know how teenagers are, how impressionable they are, especially when it comes to college decisions. Anything can guide a kid's college decision, from where their friends go to what looks cool and the pamphlets that are sent to the home. If they still do that, to a sports team, to a popular I mean anything, kids will come home.
Speaker 2: I want to go to Boise State. Why well, I saw this cool TikTok and it was at Boise State. I mean, super impressionable.
Speaker 1: It's one of the ages that you just your guard's got to be up for that kind of thing. My brother told me when I was deciding on a college and he and my dad wanted me to go to Chico State because it was close. He was up there and it was cheap. That's why my dad wanted me to go there. But my brother telling me Shannon Highway thirty two runs through Chico because thirty two is my favorite number. It was a number I wore in sports, and I thought, oh, like that meant something.
Speaker 2: So they're very impressionable.
Speaker 1: Having a chat bought help your child with a college decision, to me, is terrifying. Is it more terrifying than your kid's brothers saying hey, there's a highway called Probably not. Sociologists talk about social capital is connections between people that facilitate their success and what facilitates that, well, your decisions right among those connections. They say, we've got strong ties close friends, family, and coworkers who give us that routine support, but that we have the weak ties in acquaintances we see less regularly. And for a long time people thought that these weak ties were less important, but they're not. They have pretty much as much Pulleteen seventy three, there was a Stanford sociologist who wrote about the strength of weak ties, and a flood of studies since have confirmed how important those distant acquaintances can be for everything, for everything from job searches to emotional support. Sometimes the weak ties are just as strong as the strong ones. So any sort of impression your kid gets on the pathway to deciding which college that could be just as important as you saying you got to go to Duke. Everyone in the family goes to Duke or what have you. It's just the way the human brain works. When chat CHPT came out, co founder and executive director Jared Chung saw the potential immediately, and by the summer of twenty twenty three, the team there had a full version of their AI Career Coach Pilot. Now this coach is able and available for individuals to provide free online support. High schools and colleges are on the country are starting to embed it into their own advising And let's play a game called follow the Money, a game I like to play frequently all the time, really, because that's really the impetus behind why things are done. Why do you think there was so much drive to get ai career coach up and running at chat GPT because there's a hell of a lot of money in that whole decision process when it comes to what school am I going to go to? A lot of money for the colleges to be made to send specific students to specific colleges.
Speaker 2: Right, who's to say that these chat.
Speaker 1: Gpt bots aren't being infiltrated Maybe not now, but down the road. And then when there are advertisers and colleges get involved with their greedy hands, it just seems to me to be a bad road to go down. And just the fact that the fact that a chatbot could have any you know, influence on your kids. And the thing is about the weak ties strong ties kids because they were raised on these screens, they treat the people that they're talking to, whether it's the chatbot or the college counselor with equal weight. There was research done by the Clayton Christiansen Institute, which is just an institute that looks into education and what kids are getting into and where they're getting their information from and all of that and their interactions, and they found that there were chat logs where students were saying things to the chat bots. The chatbots, by the way, with names like Ava, Kelly, Allie, Ethan, Coco. That's what they're calling themselves. So they're very friend like, shall we say. But anyway, the chat logs this institute pulled up, they found the text read things where students were saying things like Ivy, thank you so much, you like my best friend. The researcher saying, it's kind of heartwarming, but more so scary. A little bit of both Gary and Shannon will continue. We've got an update on that Kansas City Chiefs fan death story. The guys that went to a friend's house to watch the Chiefs Chargers game. Some of them ended up dead. Now we've got murder charges. It looked like just a football Sunday that got taken too far. Now it's murder.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: We talked earlier t Crime Tuesday about the story of Ruby Frankie, the mom vlogger. They had the YouTube channel with her six kids, and now she's doing something like thirty years for child abuse. Because let's just say, the YouTube channel got out of control. It led to some serious child abuse. And it opened my eyes to the whole world about family vloggers. And it is a wide, very vast world out there of people parents who are blogging through videos their children's.
Speaker 2: Lives play by play.
Speaker 1: There's been a number of these people who have left California, and now we know why they've left California. It isn't just because Nashville's cheaper and fun and you don't have to deal with crazy California. It's because they don't have to pay their kids that they're documenting all the time. We'll get into that coming up at eleven o'clock the White House this hour, we learned suspending tariffs against Mexico until April second, and a post on truth Social The President, saying he spoke with Mexico's president today out of the country will not be required to pay tariffs on anything under the Mexico and Canada trade agreement. Trump said Claudia Shinbaum will work with the US on securing the border. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik said today that Trump will most likely announce a one month delay on all Canadian tariffs as well.
Speaker 2: Look no further than walls.
Speaker 1: To find out what's driving this Stocks on Wall Street have been sharply lower as talk of this trade war stays on the surface.
Speaker 2: Well, we knew.
Speaker 1: About these depths for quite a while. It was about a year ago a lot of mystery shouting. This case of three friends who were found dead outside a home in Kansas City, the guys who got together to watch the Chiefs Chargers game. It was a blow freezing winter night in Kansas City. And now we've got murder charges here. Clayton mcgreeley, Ricky Johnson, and David Harrington were discovered dead outside the home of a guy named Jordan about ten pm in January of last year, two days after the Chiefs Chargers game.
Speaker 2: I don't need to tell you how that one ended. Now the guy's home.
Speaker 1: Jordan and another guy, Ivory, are both charged with a single count of delivery a controlled substance and three counts of involuntary manslaughter for recklessly causing the.
Speaker 2: Deaths of these men.
Speaker 1: Each charge carries a maximum penalty of ten years in prison. A doctor has determined that these three guys died of fentanyl and cocaine combined toxicity. This got a lot of attention because it seemed like just dudes getting together to watch a football game, they drink too much, they go outside to smoke a stogi or something like that, and they freeze to death and die. But detectives searching the home after the bodies were found found two plastic bags containing white powered powdery substances, one of which contained cocaine after being tested. But again, it comes with the fentanyl these days, which is why I go back to my main PSA. You can't do drugs anymore.
Speaker 2: You just can't.
Speaker 1: You just can't confirm that they're not dirty. They're using fentanyl to cut way too much of this stuff, and fentanyl will kill you. And so that seems to be the case.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Jordan's lawyer, the guy who owns a home, says there's no evidence that Jordan bought the drugs that his friends ingested before their deaths. He noted that these guys have been partying all day and that Jordan didn't know they were still in his backyard or that they needed medical attention until the police showed up. It's one thing to charge the guy who supplied them with the bad cocaine, the dirty cocaine. It's another bar to really try and get over that the guy who lived there, who own the home, is responsible just because they did it in his home. I mean, these are grown adults, They buy their own drugs. If the guy selling them the drugs, I know that there's legal precedent to go after the people who deal the dirty drugs, as there should be. But the guy who's home it was, that's tough. I mean, if I throw a football party and my friends come over and they get into drugs and they ended up dying there, it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: Didn't I didn't give them the drugs.
Speaker 1: You can't prove I gave them the drugs, right, I think that's going to be really hard for them to get to Apparently this was a story. The three of them go to Jordan's house today of the Chiefs game. It was the last game of the regular season. The three friends never come home. Two days later. One of the fiances goes looking for her fiance two days later because they can't get a hold of anyone, and at least found one person dead on the back patio. Now there was rain and snow, some of the bodies were missing, so to speak, under snow and things like that. But man, can you imagine me that fiance, she tried the door, she tried the gate. Eventually she goes around back because her phone is saying, I guess she has the tracking device on her phone for her fiance, like so many people do, and her phone's telling her that her fiance is there. And she goes around the back and there are the bodies. So that's the case. Apparently they've got cell phone correspondence of these guys buying the drugs from the other person charged again. I think it's going to be a high bar to reach and to hurdle over that you're going to get the guy who lives at the home a conviction against him on involuntary manslaughter in particular. All right, coming up next to all the news of the day, Karen bassays she's got a big announcement and ends up just getting before a microphone and saying you can drink the water and the palisades cool. Got updates on that. We've got family vloggers leaving California because they don't want to pay their kids for all the footage. And also a really good feel good story coming out of the Inland Empire to tell you about a local news anchor. We'll get to that in the next hour as well.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.