Speaker 1: Welcome to Dorky Nowt. My name is Sonya Mansfield, and you didn't get a second opinion about something called a brain cloud. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another mister and the co host of Dorky Nowt, Margo d Hello, my friend, Hello, my friend.
Speaker 2: These fluorescent lights are sucks up, sucks up, sucks us, sucking the life out of me.
Speaker 1: But wait, there's more. Also joining us is our podcasting brother from another mother, Adam Risky from f this movie. Hello, my friend.
Speaker 3: Hello, May you live to be a thousand years sir.
Speaker 1: That's some good luggage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's It's like the thing that you always want to achieve when purchasing luggage, and you'll never come close to It's aspirational.
Speaker 1: We are dorky out about nineteen ninety Joe Versus the Volcano, written and directed by John Patrick Shanley, who won an oscar for Moonstruck. Then he does January Man, he does Five Corners, he directs this, and then nothing until Doubt, which is so weird because this movie is spoiler. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I mean he did write Congo.
Speaker 1: That's true, Yes, that's true. He actually he's mainly a play guy. Huh so, yeah, but he's a theater guy. Yeah, but I know Adam loves Congo.
Speaker 3: I love Congo the best. I would totally see a play of Congo.
Speaker 1: I would also see a play of God.
Speaker 4: I would totally go, let's let's get together.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you gotta check that out. Yeah, duh. It's this movie stars Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in three different parts, Lloyd Bridge's Roberts Ape would go to Dan Hydeia Amanda Plumber in a small part, and Ozzie Davis. I have a feeling Adam did not see this in the theater.
Speaker 3: I saw it twice in the theater.
Speaker 1: Did you when you first came out?
Speaker 3: When it first came out, I was seven years old. Who but my family took me to a lot of comedies, and yeah, we went to see this and it was one of those movies where I think I went with my mom, my sister, and my great uncle, my mother's uncle. And he used to go to the movies all the time. So like he that's he's partly responsible for like why I became such a movie kid at engage, because he would always like and it was never about like kids movies. It was always just whatever he was watching. Yeah, so, but sometimes he would like make up stuff that like never would come to fruition. He's like, there's a Dustin Hoffman movie coming out. It's called Air, and I'm like, it's never happened. I've been waiting since like nineteen eighty eight for Air with Dustin Hoffman. And then yeah, and then I went back to see it again second run because my dad hadn't seen it.
Speaker 1: Oh nice? And what did seven year old Adam think of Joe versus the Volcano?
Speaker 3: I loved it. My inn was because it had the big guy, and because Meg Ryan was pretty, and because orange soda.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Those are all the things that still work for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only things that still work for it are those three things.
Speaker 4: Margo.
Speaker 1: Did you see it in the theater?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: And I think I don't think it was out for very long.
Speaker 2: I don't remember a lot of people talking about it. I think I discovered it on video. Yeah, yeah, I think that's what it was.
Speaker 1: I saw it in the theater and remember thinking that it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I think because of the Tom Hanks, I know he had done splash, and I know he had done big, but to me, I was still like, oh, yeah, it's the guy from Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party and he had done like Turner and Hooch before this, so I thought it was Yeah. I thought it was going to be more wacky. Yeah, but I still liked it, and I actually thought it is It's very pretty to look at, like the the sets and stuff like that. So I remember liking it, but liking it in a way that I didn't expect to like it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I'm interested, like with what you said about it not being what you expected, because I think with me being so young, I didn't really think that way. It was just sort of like I took it as it as it came along. But this time it really reminded me of like it's like has a storybook quality, Like, yeah, I does.
Speaker 1: A little bit, yes, yespecially I mean right from the beginning, you know, once upon a time there's a guy named Joe at a very lousy job, and you know, and then it ends with the happily ever after, So it definitely has that story book It's just I it actually works more for me now than it did then. Too, because again, the movie hasn't changed, but I've changed, and I think we've all worked at a soul sucking job. Oh god, yeah, what was your guys, soul sucking job? I'm dying to know.
Speaker 2: I worked for a diet company and people had to come in and I had to take their blood pressure.
Speaker 4: I didn't know how to really do it, so I used to just fake it, and.
Speaker 2: I know it was terrible, but yeah it was. It was uh yeah people. Yeah, I prescribed them vitamins and all this shit. And it was ridiculous because I just said there. I'm like, I'm like eighteen years old. What are you asking me to do here?
Speaker 1: That is a sole sucking job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I worked for like a mortgage investment company, proofreading documents. Nice, nice, awful and for different states you had to have different margins and if you got the margins right, oh, it was a whole thing. Oh it sucked the life out of me. What about you, Adam.
Speaker 3: The worst job I ever had was because of the people, more so than like the tasks that I do. But the one that most closely reminds me of Joe Versus the volcano was I worked I was tempting after college because I couldn't find a full time job right away, and it was for the muscular district the Association, and I had to like call people and ask them to like attend events and like donate, and you would think that's like altruistic and great, and it was fine until they ran out of leads. And then they just gave me the white pages. Oh no no, and I was calling up. I'd be like, it would be like start at a It's like, is this Aaron Adamson. I'm calling because somebody told me you have a big heart. And I did like an hour of that and then I was like, I fucking quit. I don't know, oh just.
Speaker 1: To get cold calling.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like I can't do this. But one thing I love about how they show him at his job is he always like has these imaginary illnesses and it's like, yeah, when you have a terrible job, that's one of the things that happens is like you're just out sick all the time because you either think that you're sick or you just can't stand the shit. Yeh, like the day off and yeah, that happens a lot.
Speaker 1: I do think Dan Tdea is so fucking funny though with his repeating I know he can get the job, can he do the job? Like over and he's having the same fight every day for hours. It's like Meg Ryan, who is just does not look like herself obviously with her dark wig and she's wearing the brown contacts. And what do we think of Meg Ryan and her three different roles.
Speaker 4: I think she's adorable.
Speaker 1: Adorable. Everybody drink. Yeah, it's true. I know. I know Adam has a preference for one of them.
Speaker 3: I do. We'll get to that. I don't want it to be just like me being like, oh my god, Macryan, but this has to be like her best performance, maybe even better than like and when Harry met Sally, because she's so different and so good equally in all free arts.
Speaker 1: She's so good in it, so like she I mean, I've said this a million times, Like her role as Sally and When Harry Met Sally is an all timer, like she should have won a gazillion awards, Like every romantic comedy has a character that's based on Sally and she's amazing in it. And for her to go from that to this and it is like three totally different people is I just think she's so so, so good in this, and.
Speaker 4: He is too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes me wish she played more like character arts comedies, because like shel sort of plays like the every woman type or like the girl next door type, or just kind of a normal person. And like when she's playing like working and weird, she's so funny. Like, I just think it's so funny when the d D the first Bryan and Joe are making out, like after their date and stuff, and he's just like, I'm gonna die and she's like, you're gonna die.
Speaker 1: Every time he is like getting close to like scoring basically, he's like, I'm gonna die and they're like like they leave, and I was like, it's such a this is a boner killer. Joe, stop bringing it up. Yeah, he does keep bringing it up, but you're gonna die.
Speaker 3: Just her delivery. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: She's she's very, very very good in this. Yeah, her so much. And Yeah, when you do have a job like this, it does feel like it's sucking the life out of you, and you do start calling in sick all the time because you don't want to be there.
Speaker 2: It's so dreary and I've never felt more seen in my life later on, like when I see that little lamp that he puts on his desk and he turns off the lights and it just uses that little lamp like, yes, I need, naturally some kind of soft lighting. I cannot stand fluorescent lighting. And it's also that you know, his job is to like create catalogs and send them to people, but he's not allowed to create the catalog So it's like, what is this myth of sisiphus that's going on here?
Speaker 1: This poor man and he's just so you can see, like he's just so lost. He doesn't it's really sad. He's thirty something in this movie. I think he's supposed to be like thirty two or thirty three, and he doesn't know anything about himself.
Speaker 2: And he was a fireman before, yeah, Like he was very brave and and that's a huge identity, and especially in a big city like New York, and you wonder what was going on with him.
Speaker 1: But there's so much in this movie in the bad office setting that like predates office space with the fluorescent lighting and the coworkers and the shitty boss and shitty coffee, shitty coffee. He's like arsenic, disgusting, oh, such a bad job. But he goes to see he keeps having all these mysterious illnesses and he goes to the doctor and it's you know, the guy from Unsolved Mysteries, Robert Stack, who for me is always just that pilot from airplane, like he can't help himself, like he it's not even his fault, or maybe it is his fault. I don't know, but for me, like every delivery, even when he's trying to be serious, makes me laugh because of that voice. But he tells him that he has a brain cloud, an incurable disease with no symptoms. I'm healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That hooked me so much. When I was seven, I was just like, I feel like I have a brain cloud. It's like such a such a simple concept and so funny. It's like later when Lloyd Bridges is just like, yeah, we need to mine it, we need to mind the island for boobarou.
Speaker 1: For unobtainium.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. It's just so simple and funny. I don't I like it so much.
Speaker 1: I mean now I watch it and I'm like, well, brain cloud is just he's depressed. He has depression. But that's not what they're they're calling it something else for obvious reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's like maybe not to jump ahead too much to please. I think it's I think it's such a sweet movie from the standpoint of I mean, these guys like Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges are doing it for their own personal reasons, like trying to get Joe out of his malaise. But I think it's also kind of saying that, like for somebody like Joe, he under his own agency, he could never get out of this situation on his own. And it's how it's up to like kind of community or for like just people to kind of help each other lift one another up, because it's like the thing that takes him out of the brink is just being presented with the brink and like him pushing back against that. But if like he didn't have some kind of life or death circumstance, he was always going to just kind of sit with this horrible existence. And it just reminded me so much of I had a boss one time and he told me he's just like Adam, I can't believe the amount of shit that you put up with. And I thought he was giving me a compliment, and he was not oh wow, and he was like, I don't understand, like why you let people do like get it to that point right right, and and hearing that was like really eye opening. And I feel like Joe and I on that notion are kind of simpatico, where like he'll let things just get worse and worse and worse and worse and worse and worse, and then like finally just kind of like this terminal illness is the only thing that could like it had to have been a terminal illness for him to change his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and he turns into one of my favorite kinds of characters that I've talked about this a lot on the podcast. I love characters who become like or are very curious. And as he gets his diagnosis, he quits his shitty job, like he rents the Big Limo, and he talks to Ozzie Davis and starts asking him questions, and in that way, starts learning about himself by asking other people's questions, you know. And then he meets Angelica, the other Meg Ryan with the red hair and the perm and like and she's a what did she call herself? A fliggitty liberty.
Speaker 4: Gibbet Liberty Gibvet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's very sweet to her. He asks her questions, he's very curious and like again, like she kind of starts to open up and then he learns a little bit about himself that way, and he continues to do that throughout the movie. I love characters who are just kind and curious, and he turns into that throughout the movie, and it's yeah, it's just one of the things I love about it. But I hmm, it's all good.
Speaker 3: Oh god, Okay, sorry, Yeah, I was just gonna say, when you were talking about like the Angelica character, like the flippited Jitibet and stuff like that, that's like kryptonite to me, like weird damaged woman.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, oh my god, we all have that person.
Speaker 3: I just think it's funny though, because like the third I forgot what the third Mac Ryan's Character's name is Patricia. Patricia. Yeah, but she's just like, did you sleep with my sister? Because if you did, that would tell me something about you. And I'm really glad that you did it. And I'm just like, I would have folded. The whole rest of the movie would have been different for me.
Speaker 1: Well, and she comes across as a very different like she it first seems like the kind of that would she's broken and she's she is like soft underneath, and but she comes across as at first is very shallow. And Yeah, I think when she says like it would tell me the kind of person you are, it's that you're the kind of person that would take advantage of a broken person. Yes, what you say, but it's it's very it's very sweet this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, we have to talk about Lloyd Bridges too, another one from Airplane that just every time he shows up, I'm like, oh boy, here we go, Like he picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. He's super over the top, you know, as a billionaire who's the one who offers Joe the reason to jump in the ball, you know, so that they can mine for an optainium, and gives him all these credit cards and all of this stuff. He's so over the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it works.
Speaker 4: It totally works. And I love Ozzie Davis as the driver.
Speaker 1: I always love Ozzie Davis rip.
Speaker 4: He was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When you lend somebody with like that much gravitas to like a comedy, it just always is so nice, Yes, because it just like makes it where it's not just arch and silly the whole time. Like there's nothing wrong with that, I guess under the right circumstances. But it's just kind of he he he centers the movie in such a nice way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and I love the scene where they go and he gets him to buy some new clothes. The whole thing about like I just have these clothes and he's also, you have no clothes. Then he takes him to like get a fancy tux and then Tom Hanks like, I'm going to buy you one. It's it's very sweet in the whole thing where Tom Hanks is like, I feel like I'm getting married and he says, I feel like I'm giving you away. It's just very I just love that scene. It's very sweet, and they're they're really good together, and it's just a nice little moment where he's like, have dinner with me, and he's like, well, I have to go back to my family, you know. And it's just Joe is so lonely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know what he likes. He doesn't even know what he wants, right, So it's sad. It's so sad. Oh, we have to talk about how he goes to buy the luggage, because the luggage scene always makes me laugh. The most enthusiastic dedicated luggage salesman.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's this showroom with like Compertus, like just closets that have luggage in them, but they're like in these gaudy displays and and that just he's like explained to me what you're doing, and he's like a real journey. It's like it's like Ja Pieterman on a Seinfeldt.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, well, ay, the whole thing about like you know, and then I'm going on a boat and I'm going on an island and he's all, this is very exciting from a luggage you know, from a luggage point of view or whatever, from a luggage perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then when he says like may you when he's like I'll take all of them, he's like, may you live to be a thousand years old, sir. It's it's like one of the funniest things in the whole movie. I love it.
Speaker 1: So dedicated and he's not wrong because those those trunks come in very handy. Yeah, they were worth the investment.
Speaker 3: There was maybe a weird analogy, but it just like came to me and it might only make sense to me. But this movie is like if a tiki bar could be a movie. No, this totally like you're always happy to be there and it's relaxing and you don't want to leave. It's like that's what Joe versus Volcano is. It's like a tiki bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great analogy. We have to talk about the final Meg Ryan cared final that came out wrong. The other Meg in the final, like she never played anything else after this. This is the Meg Ryan that we all kind of know. This is with the long hair and like bright eyes and you know very I believe in myself and that one that relationship also could have been like more standard rom Com, I think. But even that where he asks her like do you believe in God? And she says, I believe in myself. Her whole thing about you know, I do what I want. I think she's also just very different than your typical Meg Ryan rom com.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love when they guarded. She's she's more guarded.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I love it when they go fishing and he catches the world's ugliest hammer.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 3: Whoever did that effect is like a genius because the shark looks I like the thing that sells that is that he's freaking out. But the shark looks even more scared.
Speaker 1: And it's set up so funny because all the fish she catches are real fish. And then his it's got the crazy eyes. I think it has eyelashes. Like, it's so funny. I had completely forgotten about that, and know when it happened, I almost did a spit take. I wasn't prepared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good. I also, I think it's because look who's talking and Joe versus the volcano came out so close together, and I was so young. It like made me be like maybe my top five favorite actors include Abeagoda. I just love aak.
Speaker 1: You're making a very specific choice when you cast ape Pagoda, Like I don't think he's known for his range.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, no, hen't he's so funny, Like, yeah, this is a different movie. But did you ever see Good Burger?
Speaker 4: Welcome to Good Burger?
Speaker 3: Yeah that's the one. Have you ever seen it?
Speaker 1: I have, I have not seen it.
Speaker 4: It's been a while. It's been a while, but I have seen it.
Speaker 3: There's like a scene where Abe Vigoda, who works at Good Burger, slips on the floor and he's just like they have the rest of the scene, and then at the end of the scene he's like, can you take me to the hospital? I think I broke my ass.
Speaker 2: He's been old since he played Silvio right.
Speaker 4: Is the Godfather movie.
Speaker 1: I'm just like Wilford Brimley, like years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was always always old. He was always like ready to die.
Speaker 2: He was on fish, he had his own show, he was on Yeah, he always so it's always hilarricous when he says like.
Speaker 4: Oh, that guy's still alive.
Speaker 1: I'm looking up to see when he died. It was twenty sixteen, damn. Yeah, a long time because he was old in the seventies. Oh my god, they have a Goda and that is that Nathan. It's Nathan Lane, right, That's is Nathan Lane.
Speaker 4: I was like, I hear Nathan Lane all over that island. What is going on here? And I'm not mad at it. I'm just like, where is he? I need to see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny because he like plays Timone and he kind of looks like Timon.
Speaker 4: He does, he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I love all the stuff on the island, and I just it's so funny. It's such a weird like that they're obsessed with orange soda and like they're all fowereds. It's just like really funny.
Speaker 1: I do love too when they get their separate spa treatments and she is like at the nicest spa in the world and they're so gentle, and then they cut to him and they're literally putting like an octopus on his face and like beating him, which poor man, he's getting ready to sacrifice his life for y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Just like it's like a slow build too for Hanks, where he's just like going along with it. And then I think he's like on his he's like laying on his chest and they're beating him with both and he's just like, all right, stop it.
Speaker 1: What else can we talk about the island? Because I do love the island stuff so much. Just see, I do. She you know, she tells him how much she loves him, and he loves her, and then she's like, let's get married, and he's like, well, I don't know if I want to get married. And her response of what you're gonna have to love, honor, and obey for thirty seconds. Yeah, such a good line. Fine, let's get married, and then they go, no, go.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I I just it strikes me more as an adult, but it also kind of registered for me as a kid, where it's like the story is and they lived happily ever after, but like everybody on the island is dead, yes, and also there's no sign of them ever getting saved, correct.
Speaker 4: And the ship and the twit dank.
Speaker 3: And they're just like, I just have a feeling like we're gonna be okay. And I just think that it's so like twisted in a way. If you choose to indulge in that, which it's hard not to, it just is it makes it even funnier to me.
Speaker 1: Well, and the happy ending hinges on the fact that he never gave a second thought to his diagnosis. She's like, you don't get a second opinion on a brain cloud, and then you know the reveal that the dad probably hired the doctor to give him that that's the happy The happy ending is if he had just been a little bit more curious at the beginning, none of this would have happened, but it's good that it happened. He finally starts living his real life. I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the type of movie that I'm like jealous of that somebody like has the imagination to put this story together and then like, yeah, to execute it so well. It's I don't know, that's a special kind of talent.
Speaker 1: I'm always jealous of the people that get to watch it for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I love going on letterbox and you see people's first first, you know, viewing of this movie and their reviews. And someone wrote and that this this movie actually encourage them to quit their debt end job. And I'm like, is that real or they just say that for a review, But I like to think it's real.
Speaker 4: I'm sure some people do.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of people's favorite movie for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's special. It's a special movie, like the look of it, the performances that make ryan of it like it's special. They don't make movies like I hate saying they don't make movies like this anymore, but they really don't.
Speaker 4: They really don't. Yeah nowhere, Yeah, and they could. They can make something like this for Netflix or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now they it just seems like they they just like rolled the dice more and just trusted like the talents involved. It's just like we've got two movie stars, let's do something kind of weird with it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, and the guy who wrote Moostrack, let's just do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know. This is like such a cable movie too. It's like, I don't know, I just not to be like, oh, it was so much better back then. But it's like there were so many movies for grown ups back then, and even though this is like something a kid could watch and enjoy because of its silliness, like it's such a I don't know, it's just like such a grown up movie too at the same time, because it really deals with like existentialism. Ye yes, so yeah, it's real. It's real, real good. I think the more I think of it, I think comparing it to or putting in the ballpark of that Princess Brian is kind of where it should be discussed.
Speaker 1: I think that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's and that's a movie that also didn't do very well at the box office at first, like it found its life a.
Speaker 1: Home theater, which blows my mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Remember I'm I was at a party and somebody's like, have you heard of it?
Speaker 4: About this movie?
Speaker 2: And they put it on, and I'm like, are we having a party right now?
Speaker 4: Why we just?
Speaker 1: This would be me by the way, I'd be like, uh no, let's watch it. It's just this is one of those movies, like Adam said about the silliness of it, So it can work for like a seven year old. I love a movie that you can go as deep as you want. You can enjoy it on whatever level you want to enjoy it on. So I could watch this with my thirteen year old and he would laugh at the hammerhead shark and think it's funny the volcano spits them out or whatever. But I could enjoy it on this deeper level about like how do we choose to live our lives and not being afraid and living with courage and being curious and all those things. It's special. It's also one of those movies. It falls into that category of people who get wrong diagnoses and then decide to live their true life, like what's the Queen Latifa one?
Speaker 3: I love Last Christmas?
Speaker 1: Last Holiday? Yeah, last Holiday, I love Last Holiday. Watch it every year.
Speaker 3: That's a Christmas movie, right, Yeah it is. Yes, I should watch that next Christmas.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 3: I'm always there for like a new Christmas movie to watch.
Speaker 1: It's so good and Ello cool Jay is in it too, and they have Greek chemistry.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm down to like I've seen most of what I should see, so I'm down to like mixed nuts and I don't want to watch nuts. I'm glad I have last holiday.
Speaker 1: Now there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would I want to talk about the chemistry between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, because first of all, I love that no matter which character she's playing, they have Greek chemistry. What is your favorite Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan? Because there's three? Well, I guess four if you include some movie called Ithaca, which I've never seen.
Speaker 3: We're seeing that one, Yeah I know she directed it. Yeah, I ever saw it.
Speaker 1: We have Sleepas in Seattle, which came out three years later, and then you've got Mail, which came out in ninety eight. Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like the other two, but I think this one's special in a way that like romantic comedies aren't. This is just this movie is like a Unicorn. It's just so it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not that many people that have that kind of special chemistry, and they do.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: I have a list of the other movies that came out in March nineteen ninety, so I've gone to the theater around the same time as Joe Versus the Volcano, and these were also playing House Party.
Speaker 3: I love how party?
Speaker 1: Did we do House Party?
Speaker 4: Margot? Oh, absolutely we have. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely The Hunt for Red October. It's good, good movie, good one. This one I believe I put on our list, Margo. Bad Influence movie. No, it's uh.
Speaker 4: Rob Oh, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a ninety thriller. We need to see it. Blue Steel.
Speaker 3: The movie's just as crazy, if not crazier than Bad Influence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: We got not one, but two movies about Limbata the dance craze. We had one called a Forbidden Dance.
Speaker 4: See that.
Speaker 1: I saw both that I saw. I saw both of these.
Speaker 3: I vaguely remember how Ciskel and Ebert were reviewing the Lombada movies, and I think like one came out right before the other one, so they reviewed them on separate weeks, and they were basically like, I can't believe you like this Lombano movie more than that.
Speaker 1: I saw both of these in the theater, and I can't tell you anything about them other than I know I saw them. Lord of the Flies m.
Speaker 3: Hmm, I saw it. I've read the book, but I've never.
Speaker 1: Seen the movie Nuns on the Run.
Speaker 3: I've read the book.
Speaker 1: Some movie called Pretty Woman. Heard of it, heard of it? Everybody saw a Pretty Woman and everyone owned the soundtrack. That was the thing I want to see.
Speaker 3: Versus The Volcano with Tom Hanks and three Laura sangiacomos from Pretty Love.
Speaker 1: I would watch that, yeah, absolutely. And then finally Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic so good. I really like this one. I watched this one, rewatched it for one of the FIS movie fests, and I'm was like, still works.
Speaker 3: I was sad that day because I was expecting it to play like so well for f this movie fest, and I don't know if it was just the room, but like it played like fifth or sixth the best of the time. I was like, what happened? Turtles?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: By the way, if you're not following Adam on social media, you should because there's a theater that has a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle poster that it has not taken down in how many years?
Speaker 3: Adam, So it was, Yeah, it's the poster for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows, which came out I think in twenty sixteen. And it's funny because it's these giant posters that are almost more for like a billboard like bus station or something like that, or at train station. It's like these enormous posters and they change out. There's maybe eight of them all together. They're all for like Paramount movies basically, and they change out one of them the same one and then leave all of the other ones. So like they'll change out you know, uh, Novacane will become Mission Impossible, the final recogning or something like that, but then they'll just leave up like Triple X three, Florence Foster Jenkins goes to the shell Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows Annihilation, like there those all stay.
Speaker 1: That's so weird.
Speaker 3: It's very bizarre, and everybody's just like they're like you should tell them, and I'm like, what are you talking about. I'm like, I've never want this to end.
Speaker 1: Every time Adam goes to the theater, he takes a picture of the teenage Muan Ninja Turtle one and post it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's everything that we can depend on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Did we want to hear the top ten songs for the week this came out?
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was in March. I forget the date, sorry, March of nineteen ninety.
Speaker 4: Love will Lead You Back? Number ten Taylor Taylor, Taylor Dane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I escape her.
Speaker 3: Taylor Dane story.
Speaker 1: No, I want to hear it please.
Speaker 3: I was at this was maybe fifteen years ago. I was at a convention and it was like just a pop culture convention and Loriie Petty had an autographed table and I was going to meet her, and next to her table was Taylor Dane and Taylor Dane was waterboarding poor Laurie Petty with Taylor Dane music just playing on over again on a jukebox or not a jukebox, on a boombox, and it was so funny. So I was just like, Hi, Laurie, how you doing. And She's just like looks at me, like this fucking lady.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a very famous there's a tag Nataro story about Taylor Days that she would tell for years and years and years. Yeah, Taylor Dane's a New Yorker. She we we claim her. She's a little wacky. She's a little wacky.
Speaker 4: She's a little extreme.
Speaker 2: But speaking of that, Number nine, Billy Joel, I go to extremes, say right, do you like it?
Speaker 4: I'm on it. Number eight Glorious Stefan, here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Number seven Michelle No More Lies.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't I bet if I played it I would recognize it.
Speaker 3: But oh, I know that song because I watched this. There's this channel. I think it's like Chris Hannings h A T T I ngs on you Tube and they do like Top forty countdowns every day and they were on the nineteen nineties, so like they're on ninety one now, but they were doing nineteen ninety. And I've heard No More Lies like over and over again, like every day for like two weeks, and they're just like, no more Las.
Speaker 1: Now I know it.
Speaker 4: I think I know it now.
Speaker 2: Number six I love this song Paula Abdul and the Wild Pair opposite of the track.
Speaker 1: Oh Yes Yeah.
Speaker 3: DJ Scatcat yeh stratcat Yep.
Speaker 4: Number five Bad English, Price of Love, Love that one.
Speaker 2: Number four, This fucking song Alana Miles, Black Velvet.
Speaker 4: It's just you could not get away from this song. It was Jesus, Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: How is it still overplayed?
Speaker 2: How she had the one song and here we are thirty five years later, it's like, oh.
Speaker 1: It will one hundred play at the grocery store every time I go to the grocery store.
Speaker 4: And she was a beautiful woman.
Speaker 2: I'm not taking that away from her, but she was a Canadian and is a Canadian, and she apparently, from what I understand for people of the music biz, like they thought she was really conceited and they kind of like pushed her out there and let her kind of fall. So she didn't really have a huge She was a hot chick. It was a good song, but like after a while, it's like, what else do you have?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Number three The B fifty Two's Roam. I still like that song.
Speaker 1: I need to say I love the B fifty twos me too.
Speaker 4: Number two rock Sette Dangerous.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you couldn't get away from rock Sette. This was their time, so you like the B fifty twos.
Speaker 3: Did you like the b C fifty twos when they did that for the You know?
Speaker 1: Oh I did not. I wanted to like the Flintstones so bad, I really did, and I did not. No, No No, And the number one.
Speaker 4: Song for the week this came out Janet Jackson.
Speaker 3: Escape, a really good one. That's my favorite. I don't know, I take that back. I was gonna say it's my favorite era of Janet Jackson music is like the early nineties. But the whole velvet rope thing was really good, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had several really good iterations and like very smart and thought out big fans.
Speaker 1: I saw her at Answer last year. It was super fun. Oh good, Yeah, she put on a great show.
Speaker 2: I've been obsessed on TikTok of watching Katie Perry doing her show in Mexico.
Speaker 1: I've been watching that too.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. It's like she's bringing a nineties family game to life, you know, in an arena. And she's always been known for having a really strong voice, right, Like it's one of those things she's known for.
Speaker 4: She could actually sing.
Speaker 2: And it is the most bizarre thing, and yet I'm hypnotized by it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, if it was like forty bucks, I think i'd go.
Speaker 1: It's she has all this really bad like choreography stuff going on. There's like people on wires, and she's like running around with like a big almost like a lightsaber type thing, and it's supposed to look like they're fighting, but it's not. Even it's real bad, like maybe the show just started, so like maybe they're working out bigs.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but I just I can't help it because people keep posting it on TikTok and I'm like, yeah, this is really shitty, but I kind of would see it, but only for like really really cheap.
Speaker 3: Maybe she's crazy from being in space.
Speaker 2: Like she was singing, yeah, Louis Armstrong in space to Gail King.
Speaker 1: You know she's still.
Speaker 2: Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm serious. I like I knew that they went to space and it was yoke, but like I didn't know any of this other stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently, you know, Gail King was like, we were up in space, we were at the you know, we're astronauts, you know, we're in this We're in the corners of space. And then all of a sudden Katy Perry starts singing What a Wonderful World, and we all just like really, you know, and it was like, oh, forgot.
Speaker 1: Have you seen that interview with her where she's like, have you been? Have you been to space?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We don't have, asshole.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when William Shantner went to space? And like when he came back, it was like the most sobering thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: He was more depressed, he was smaller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like we're all we.
Speaker 4: Have sit this is fucking it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then apparently people are saying, like Jeff, what bezos like broke the capsule or something, and it's that.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I don't want to hate on her, you know, just because it's easy and fun, but it just watch her.
Speaker 2: You just look at these things like you need to watch like Katy Perry doing these these flips in the air, but like she's supposed to be in danger but there's obviously no way she's in danger. Just get twelve ropes around her and her dancing, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Katy Perry is not known for her dancing. I remember she did the Super Bowl halftime show. Yeah, yeah, and they brought out Missy Elliott and Missy Elliott just like destroys, like she just outshines Katy Perry easy. But and she's dancing and doing her stuff, and then Katy Perry's trying to do it too, and it's like me trying to join a bunch of breakdancers or something like.
Speaker 2: It's music make you lose control, music make you lose good trol, like Katie.
Speaker 1: Katie does not have the moves no other people.
Speaker 3: Halftime show with all the Sharks, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I left Shark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go watch it now. I'm gonna go watch it now. There's the uh. I'm wondering about her show if because they're filming it and they're so close when they're filming it, I'm wondering if like you're like a monet, right, like if you get a little farther away, maybe it looks right.
Speaker 4: I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I had a couple of beers in me and I'm just waiting for the songs, I like, it's fine, it's totally fine. But if they're charging like four hundred dollars or something, hell.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no. And this is our Katie Perry cast.
Speaker 3: Do you want to talk about the Iceheart.
Speaker 1: I scraped my tummy, Adam, this was so fun. Thanks for talking about Joe versus the volcano with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It would be funny if he jumps out of them or he gets shot out of the volcano and then when he landed, he said, ice crape my tummy.
Speaker 1: Where could people find you on the internet.
Speaker 3: I'm on Blue Sky at Risky, Adam, I think, I don't know, Okay, yeah, And then I write and do podcasts for f This Movie. That's the letter f thismovie dot com. And I have a YouTube show every week that with my friend Rob Di Cristino, and that is on the F This Movie YouTube channel. It's called Reserve Seating and we use review one movie a week.
Speaker 1: I loved your Patreon episode about brain Scan, a movie I have never seen but now I want to see.
Speaker 3: I'm just so in on the Trickster. I don't know why that didn't become a thing.
Speaker 1: It's just the episode made me laugh out loud, especially young Adam talking about things going from first run to second run.
Speaker 3: It's like the only thing that stopped at from being like the central preoccupation of my life was they got rid of second run theaters.
Speaker 1: We had one, and we had one and conquered too where I grew up, and I was also obsessed with when things would move from one to the other. I didn't count the days as you, but like you did, but I was counting the weeks, like, well, maybe it's going to play like two more weeks here and then it'll move to the Dollar House and I can see it there because everything I felt.
Speaker 3: Like cool and it always seemed better at the Dollar House. Yes, like it was just I don't know.
Speaker 1: Our Dollar House was a double had a double feature, and you paid. You literally paid a dollar and saw two movies. So it was a good deal for a poor poor person like me was riding their bike to the theater and usually had a dollar at least to see a movie.
Speaker 3: I only saw one movie as a double feature at our dollar theater. It was weekend at Bernie's and young Einstein and I went with my dad, and I remember he looked at me afterwards like I'm an educated person. Why did I just go through that? And I was just like, yeah, who serious? Is gonna be huge, right, It's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be a massive star. It was.
Speaker 4: That was the thing him and Jocko, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did not new Margot. Where can people find you on the internet.
Speaker 2: I'm at Brooklynfitchick dot com. I'm at Brooklynfichick for Threads and Instagram. I'm at Brooklyn Margo for Blue Sky, the TikTok, and my YouTube channel is at my name Margo Donahue.
Speaker 1: Y'all follow her on all the things. Her new book about Saturday Night Fever is coming out in August yep, and you're gonna want to see all the cool clips she's sharing on her YouTube channel, So find her like, subscribe, smash that subscribe.
Speaker 4: Button, smash it, leave comments.
Speaker 1: As my thirteen year old likes to say all the time. Bye, Like and subscribe. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com and the Sonya Show on Blue Sky and Instagram and Threads and the TikTok. And you can find Dorkinoutshow at Dorkinoutshow dot com. Email us at dorky and Out Show at Gmail. Send us requests. We love requests. And if you want some stickers, share your address and Margot will send them to you because she is a dope person who likes to do that. For people, and it's also on threads and blue Sky and Instagram and all the places. This was so fun. I love talking about this movie. What a gem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you both for having me back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get some orange soda I now