Speaker 1: Welcome to Dorky Out. My name is Sonya Mansfield, and you're a disgrace to depression. Joining me is my podcasting sister from another mister and the co host of Dorkying Out. Sorry, Margo d Hello, my friend.
Speaker 2: Hello, my friend. I am so filled with rage, which is I don't think was James Brooks's idea. He wrote this piece of shit.
Speaker 1: No oo boy, oh man, we are going to be dorky Out about nineteen ninety seven's as good as it gets. Directed by James L. Brooks, who I normally quite love.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Screenplay by Mark Andres and also James L. Brooks, Ours, Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear, Coopa Gooden Junior Skeet Ulrich.
Speaker 2: Is in there for like a hot second, fucking hot by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shirley Jackson Yardley Smith also known as Lisa Simpson. And we get a little cameo by Harold Ramis little cameo by Lawrence Kasden.
Speaker 2: Oh who was Kasden?
Speaker 1: Kasden was the psychiatrist. Oh okay, Yeah, Todd Solan's shows up in there. The director of Welcome to the Dollhouse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the House.
Speaker 1: Little Baby Maya Rudolph is for hot second as a policewoman.
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus, all kinds.
Speaker 1: Of little cameos. These are the things I was looking for to try to make me feel happy watching this movie. Because spoiler, I hated smooth, hated it. I didn't like it in ninety seven.
Speaker 2: To be fair, No, I've never liked it.
Speaker 1: Let's start with.
Speaker 2: Why do we pick it? I don't know. Sometimes we just need to get a rage out. Yeah, you know, this is where we're clearly using stuff we're already pissed off about, and we're just going to funnel it through a thing. Some people do that when their team loses, you know, or you lose your car keys, and then you just freak out about everything. Yes, this is a thing where as good as it gets, is serving to make me less homicidal.
Speaker 1: It is my punching bag today, right. Yes, did you see it in the theater?
Speaker 2: No? I thought it looked stupid from the first trailer. The Lucky I knew people who went to the There was screenings of it because I was working in entertainment at the time. I remember the Oscars and I remember just every time people talk about this movie, I'm like that just sounds like dog shit. And then when I rented it, and I think it was over the summer it came out night, I was like, this movie is infuriating, and then I didn't touch it until I wrote my book about films in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. It's filmed in Windsor terrorists neighborhood next to me, so I was like, Okay, I'll watch it again. This is two and a half years ago, and I was so filled with rage that I was like, Sonya and I, we need to talk about this. Wee day.
Speaker 1: Well, it came up I think last week in our ice Harvest episode. For some reason, I don't remember why it came up.
Speaker 2: We so in that episode we talk about everything except for ice Harvest for the most part. I guess it's such a forgett well.
Speaker 1: And for some reason this came up, and that's why we decided to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I saw this in the theater and even then I didn't like it. I I remember, and this is still true. I think the dog is very cute. Okay, there's a good give me a dog movie. Sure, And then when I saw it in the theater, I thought Greg Kinier was actually pretty good, and to me, he was known as the guy from Talk Soup. Yes, so I was like, hey, look who's in a movie with Jack Nicholson and actually doing pretty good?
Speaker 2: Like I was happy for him. I liked him and Sabrina. I thought he was really good in that the remake. Yeah, I like great kin Ere. I have nothing against Greak can Ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I But my problem was even then was look, I actually kind of like Helen Hunt now, but at the time I really didn't like Helen Hunt. I she didn't do it for me, and she doesn't do it for me in this movie either, and she's terrible. Yeah, and some of it is she's just not she doesn't do it for me. And two, that character annoys the fuck.
Speaker 2: Out of me. Let's say this. You and I were we were texting last night, and I said to you, what if I came up with something a movie, a script with people who don't talk like people, who don't behave like people, and everything happens to them doesn't make any sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to let that go and then I'll tell you I'm sorry. But David Lynch died recently and I went back to go watch Twin Peaks on Paramount the first couple of seasons, and in Twin Peaks, people don't act like people. They have weird dialogue, they respond weirdly, they dance weirdly, they dress weirdly, they eat weirdly. But there's a humanity there, like there's something like I care about Laura's parents, I care about Yeah, you know there's something there. And it's done artfully, so I maybe gets pretentious, sure, but it's done with an artistic edge. This movie is trying to do twenty things at once and it's not landing anywhere near it and everyone looks at it. It's like a toddler through spaghetti at the wall and then everybody thinks it's Picasso. There.
Speaker 1: The fact that this movie was nominated for seven Oscars, the fact that Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt won for this movie boggles my fucking mind. Like, if you have the whole premise of this movie is that Jack Nicholson is playing a romance novelist. Sure, even Jack Nicholson isn't a good enough actor to convince me that he could play a romance novelist. I don't buy it, not for one oufit but he also has like OCD, he has obsessive compulsive disorder, and he's also a racist, a homophobe, and sexist is all get out and right, he's a miserable prick and he's a fucking dick to everyone he meets.
Speaker 2: That's the movie, as we're supposed to think, aw, that poor man has a problem and that's making him behave in ways that are odd, and we all need to understand that. It's like, I know people to OCD and that are not racist, they're not homophobic people there people can be tortured by it if you're not being treated and I understand that, but I feel like this movie uses it as a reason to he won't step on sidewalk cracks and he'll use the f slur on anybody as if as a writer in New York City, he never met a gay man in his fucking life.
Speaker 1: Right, right, exactly like what. I am very curious what people who have OCD with how they would respond to this movie because it's mainly played for laughs.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely. And I have a friend that's writing a book about disappility and movies, Kristin Lopez, And yeah, I'm going to ask her about this, Yeah, because she's she's she's in a wheelchair, she's in a she's disabled, and she's very I need to ask her about this because I see the world differently now when she sat talking about that book, and I wonder if I were at OCD, how would I feel about this movie how it represents somebody like me? Because does he not have Tourette's as well? I mean that's something like, oh I don't have that. Say, okay, that makes sense. Yes, that was an episode of La Law. They had a guy right right.
Speaker 1: Right, but that's not what's happening here. Yes, he has obsessive compulsive disorder and he's just a fucking asshole. Like his obsessive compulsive disorder is actually played for jokes again, It's like, haha, he locks and unlocks his doors and he doesn't walk on cracks and has to eat at the same restaurant and sit at the same table where he then says a bunch of anti Semitic shit to two people who are sitting at the table so that they will leave their table so that he can sit there. Isn't that funny? So New York funny.
Speaker 2: He's a New York City based writer he doesn't know any Jewish people, he doesn't know any gay people. He's never met a woman in his life to talk to. I mean, none of this makes make this make sense.
Speaker 1: No, and Helen Hunt is playing a character named Carol who has a six son, sad. She's sad, single mom who works at the restaurant, and apparently she's the only waitress that he can tolerate. So like he has to sit at her section, he has to sit at his table, and like he's totally shitty to her. He uses his plastic, like his plastic silverware or whatever. And when her son is sick so often that she maybe is going to work at a restaurant that's closer to her home, he loses his fucking shit and like hires a doctor to like go to her house and treat her son. He shows up at her house at one point. I don't think any of that's funny. This is not funny to me that he shows up at her house like a fucking psycho.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, he's in the house already treating her son, and her mother lives with her and her son. Hass Like, we understand he has asthma, but we don't know, like how bad the asthma is. Apparently it's really really bad, And I feel bad for her, but I told you one thing. Sorry, Yeah, what the fuck accent is she doing? But is heaven on doing in this movie? Because these are two super unlikable people, Why why they find one another attractive makes no sense to me. Nope, they're they're angry, they're mean.
Speaker 1: Yep. I don't buy for one second that she would go out with him. Never. What we're watching is a woman trying to convince herself it's right. In the title, this is as good as it's gonna get right she We are watching a woman talk herself into settling with a man that she knows is wrong for her, but because he'll.
Speaker 2: Pay her kids hospital bills, move to Canada. I don't know, is there really no other choice?
Speaker 1: That's the the whole movie is her like he's shitty, She's like, fuck you for being She leaves. Then she calls rights and is like, I feel banned and I was so shitty to you, and then like maybe he is the right person for me. No, he's not the right person for me. That's back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I'm you're watching this woman just settle for like exactly. She's thirty four and he's sixty.
Speaker 2: And she can't find I mean, and I get it. It's tough to date, and New York is impossible. I lived here. It's it's tough. But you can find someone. You know. She's cute enough to get a fireman that lives in the town like she's She could find some if that was important, If that's important to her. Here's the thing, though, what does he provide her besides the money for her son, which is important, yeah, but what else? He is nothing but a pain in the ass. He's gonna say racist shit, he's gonna be he's he's, like I said, homophobic. She hates him, and for good reason she should.
Speaker 1: He hates him. She says, like, don't ruin this by being yourself. That's what she says to him. She hates him, and he likes her because she is the only woman that like fucking tolerates his bullshit.
Speaker 2: Which is and I guess it's sixty okay, But what is once again, I mean, despite his wealth, In spite of his despite his wealth, every all the other things, you wouldn't go near him. This guy, No one would go near this guy. No one would work with him, no one would sit with him. He's awful to his neighbors at his home. Yep, he's horrible to Greg Kinnear, who's his neighbor. And he's I mean I remember at the time, like, oh, Greg, he's doing a really job. I look at it down. I'm like, this performance of a gay man in nineteen ninety seven is so like TV movie from nineteen seventy seven, just just a very fragile halting. I hope nobody else knows that I'm gay and I'm living with my.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend and he is one step above the performance of the gay neighbor in uh Sante Almo's Fire. It's where he's like holding a pink fruity drink and he's like high, like he's above that.
Speaker 2: He's a little sadder than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very he is sad. And that's that's the So there's the Helen Hunt storyline. We're gonna go through it all. But so as the movie opens, by the way, let's just go through it. The movie opens with Verdell the Dog. I think the dog is very cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always gonna win me over. That's not a problem.
Speaker 1: A cute little like Bijeon Freeze or I don't know what they call those dogs, but he's got he's got a little beard.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: He's gonna clearly pee in the hall, which you're bad dog owner. You don't let your dog pee in the hall.
Speaker 2: That's not a thing, especially if it's carpeting in the hallway. Come on, dah.
Speaker 1: And Jack Nicholson is like yelling at the dog, like don't you be here? And then he takes the dog, which then immediately starts peeing everywhere because it's not funny, and then he puts it down the garbage chute, which is to me, no, it's not funny because it's not funny. I mean, Monty Python can do that joke and do it well, but there's a tone that you have to have, you know, like a fish called Wanda, like it.
Speaker 2: Has this absurd tone. So it's not real. It's just but we're supposed to, on the one hand, really identify Jack Nicholson as this tortured person and that he lashes out because he's got problems. No, he's fucking throwing a dog down a garbage huot.
Speaker 1: No, he's he's he's should go down this guy, he should go down the garbage chute. He's try okay, he's trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now then we meet Greg Knear. He's playing Simon his like gay artist neighbor, and he's like, where's my little dog? Where's Rudel? And like he's like, I don't know, you know whatever, And then they find like the janitor or whatever. The maintenance man finds the dog like in the trash and Paul, isn't that funny? And then Jack Nicholson proceeds to say some of the most awful hateful ship yeah to Greg Knear and to Kuba Gooden Junior, who's playing like his gay agent.
Speaker 2: Agent friend manager, yeah, agent, his agent, his gagent. So he's and he's the one that stands up to him, and it's like, you're just lucky I don't beat the ship out of you, Like, can we just beat the ship out of him? Why are we holding back? He's dreadful. So all of that, they stop doing that. They all start like just making me so mad. Turn the fuck off.
Speaker 1: Yeah they can.
Speaker 2: None of them even go back at him or make fun of him back like they just take it. They do, And I fucking hate that. I hate hate that.
Speaker 1: So then he we meet. He like goes to the restaurant where he always eats. He's super shitty to the people that have the nerve to sit at his tape when he wants to eat.
Speaker 2: Is not funny. Sure doesn't throw him out, by the way, Like at this point the manager should be like, you're not welcome here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not welcomely, so he gets to sit down at his table. He's overheard conversations now that like Helen Hunt's son is very sick or something, and at some point he's he says something like, you know, we're all gonna die, and so is your son or something. It's like what and she's like, how dare you, like get my son's name out of your fucking mouth.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's like this, okay, okay, I'm gonna give you one second to take that back, because I really don't like to hear you saying that about my son, which in real life you would take a cup of coffee and throw in his face. Yes, they get the fuck out exactly, That's what that's that's what responds.
Speaker 1: That's what they do in New York, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: I thought James Brooks was from New York. I guess he's not. I don't know anybody that these people are not from New York. They're certainly not from Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: But continue, yeah, so she she's willing to like she you know, he's like, oh sorry, but you know, so she's like fine, I'll get your food, and he like orders the same thing every time, and then he like goes home and he's like writing his book and he's whatever. Again. I never buy Jack Nicholson as a romance author, because not for one second do I believe he is romantic. But at some point, like Simon the Great Canear character needs a male model, So Skeet Oleridge is his male model. And this is like is this like right before Scream, right around scream time? Maybe right after Scream because like Jamie Kennedy is one of the dudes in there too before like Skeet Ulrich like really blew up.
Speaker 2: My neighbors, by the way, loved skull Rich and he had a show that they would watch every week and I could hear them from the group next floor. He's very he's very hot.
Speaker 1: He's but yeah, so he he's posing for uh Greg Kanear who's like I guess he draws or paints or whatever. But he invites his like druggy friends over and they start robbing him and then they beat up Greg Knear. They like they fully kick his ass and like fuck up his face and like he's in the hospital. And again, I guess we're supposed to think that's funny. There's this whole thing with Yardley Smith keeps crying in front of him because he's like so beat up, and I'm like the stuff.
Speaker 2: They played in for laps and it's like he's weird. Your friend was beating within an inch of his life and they're all thinking about themselves in this moment. Like this moment is just making me so uncomfortable right now. Yeah, get your shit together. You're with your friend at the hospital, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Kuba Good Junior walks in and is like, oh my god, like about his face.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I've both been in the hospital before. If somebody had come and visited me and pulled that shit, yeah, I'd be like, get the fuck out, get the fuck out, bring me a smoothie and get the fuck out. I don't need that. I don't need you crying. I mean if I were his friend, I'd be like, dude, just so you know, the face heals very quickly. It's gonna look garish, but you're fine. This will heal quickly. Now they're balling, they're sobbing helplessly like children.
Speaker 1: Like you're a monster. Now you're not handsome, Greg Knar, He's still handsome.
Speaker 2: Green, He's still handsome, Greg Canear. He'll be fine. Yeah, spoiler we see him in the next scene. He's totally fine. But it's still like a totally off putting reaction, like just not how people people anyway, people I like anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So those aren't friends. Because Greg Knear is in the hospital, there's no one to take care of the dog, so his uh gagent Kuba Junior, goes over and like picks up the dog and tries to convince the old lady neighbor to take the dog, and she's like, uh no, thank you. So he bully he's Jack Nicholson's character into taking in the dog the man who shoved it down the garbage choot. Right, Yeah, He's like, you will take the dog, and if you don't, I'm gonna beat your ass, and.
Speaker 2: Which is something he should have beat his ass a while ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, Also, Jack Nicholson's character again has OCD, but only seems to have it until he's confronted, and then he doesn't have it anymore. Right, Like if he had like severe OCD, which is what we're supposed to believe he has, there's no way the dog would have ever been in his house. But whatever, he like, the minute he's confronted, he's like, he's fine, Yeah, he's fine. He's letting it happen. He's forgetting to lock the doors, he's walking on the cracks on the sidewalk, he's doing all the things like the minute he's confronted, so he takes in the dog. And honestly, they maybe could have just made a movie where Jack Nicholson hangs out with a dog.
Speaker 2: That could have been a fun movie, Like he has this turnaround with this dog. Now you and the dog go on front at Yeah, you don't get that, not this fucking movie. No, James Brooks is just wants to it's all over our cheerios.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope. There's a very cute scene where they're walking with he's walking the dog and the dog is also jumping over the cracks and I was like, looel, like that's that's funny. Yeah, And he's like, don't you be like me, you'd be better than me. And because he's like nice to the dog, like Helen Hunt, decides to be nice to him. And what happens after that, I don't know. I'm like, let me, I'm like I have to actually go through my notes at this point. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Oh, Like he he goes to the restaurant. She's because he's being nice to the dog, and he actually sits at a different table so that he can keep an eye on the dog. She decides to like be nice to him, and then he like asks about her son, like why is he so sick? What's his name? And she's like, oh, nobody ever asks about me, Like she's you know, whoha. Meanwhile, like he also tells her that she looks fifty. Like then he like insults her looks and she's fuck off and.
Speaker 2: Like I get it that she's supposed to play the hairried mom. Yeah, but I feel like the characterization that's going on here, it's like dialogue that doesn't make sense, an accent that is from I don't know where. As a resident of Brooklyn of thirty years, I do not recognize, we do not claim that accent that she's doing. I speak for all of us here, all yeah, two million that live here. And also that hair is just like not doing her favors at all.
Speaker 1: I don't actually, I really don't understand what's going on with her hair. Oh it's like a like a fifties housewife kind of thing going on.
Speaker 2: It's really bad.
Speaker 1: The movie again, it's in ninety seven. So he also calls her like tired and bitter and like he's really mean to her. But she he shows up at the restaurant again, she's not there because she's going to work closer to home because her son is sick all the time. And he's like, well, I'm going to get a doctor that I'm going to pay for to take care of her son so that she will work at the restaurant. I want her to work at and feed me. And then he shows up at her house and he's like, you've ruined my whole day. I have it eaten because you're not there to serve me food. And again it's played for laughs, And I don't think it's funny that he's stalking her now at her home right and acting like a.
Speaker 2: Weirdo, like just no empathy at all, and that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's no boundaries none and calls her tired and bitter and she's like, fuck you, you know, get the fuck out of here. And he goes to get a cab and she realizes her son as a fever and she like stops him, like, we need your cab, and they like all ride to the hospital together, and then he's like, are you gonna come into work today? No, dick head, She's not coming to no.
Speaker 2: Aho Ah. Again, I think we're supposed to fucking sense. Nobody acts like a person. No, nobody acts like they have their stem cell. You know, there's stem reasons their brain doesn't read their spinal cord or whatever. It's just, yeah, they they talk in a way that doesn't make sense. They behave in a way that doesn't make sense. There's nothing to relate to. Everything is so unrelatable that all these little moments that James Brooks likes to put in, little quick moments that are humanizing, and I like those normally, you know, like in broadcast news.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, I love broadcasting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, there's little like we did. Indeed, like right.
Speaker 1: Know, that movie's super sad and deals with a lot.
Speaker 2: Of ands too at the same time. Yeah, so that he knows how to do the tragic comedy very well. Why but he's missing it the fuck out of here this one. I'm telling you, I had steam coming out of my ears sometimes with this movie. I would just have to hit pause because I was like, I need a minute because I'm really pissed off right now.
Speaker 1: It's so bad that I went and I took my dog and put him down the garbage choot. How bad it is? Sorry, Max, Sorry, man, my big ass dog. Get in there, Get in the garbage shoot. There's a point where like he's talking to like a fan of his books, and she's like, how do you write women so well?
Speaker 2: And he says that, oh is so, I'm sorry. It's not the actor's fault, by the way, No, it's the script and it's the way you're being directed.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, it's not her fault. Now that's Buffy the Van Empire Slayer fans will know that that is Julie Ben's.
Speaker 2: And oh, I wondered who that was yeah.
Speaker 1: And she's she's lovely and nothing but love for her. It's not her fault that she's.
Speaker 2: No, it's not her fault. But the direction is really bad here.
Speaker 1: That's just like, how do you wraye women so well? And he says, I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability. Isn't that funny? That's so funny.
Speaker 2: Does that mean women don't have reason or accountability? Or is that mean men don't have reason and accountability?
Speaker 1: He's saying that men have reason and accountability and women go fuck himself. Yeah, I'm like, yeah accountable right, well, boomer men are all about accountability, Margot, what are you talking about? Oh my god, what a fucking brick. So we go back to Simon now, who has discovered that he is broke. He has no medical insurance because everything's fucking broken here in our country, and he has like sixty one thousand dollars in dead and he hasn't sold any art, and he's going to have to ask his parents for money. And again his gagent now is like, you need to drive to Baltimore and go ask your parents for money. But I'm not going to drive you. We're gonna get that bigot who lives across the street or across the hall to take you for some strange reason.
Speaker 2: Right, And Greg Kenear has had nothing but a bad interactions with Jack Nicholson. He's grateful that he took care of his dog and Nicholson and his character likes the dog. Harry's got his name.
Speaker 1: He likes Superdell Verdell.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean his character. Oh Melvin mel Oh, Jesus that name so Melvin and the yeah, so he then we get it's he basically emotionally uh tricks manipulates Helen Hunt to go to Baltimore with his with Greg Kennear, yes, and him did they bring the dog? I can't remember?
Speaker 1: The dog is like apparently the dog is so upset about going back and forth between Melvin and Simon that he has an upset tummy and he's at the vent.
Speaker 2: Okay, convenient but okay, so that gonna cost you a pretty petty hunt But okay there, But there is.
Speaker 1: The whole thing about like Melvin, I skipped over this part. Melvin gets a doctor to come and look at Helen Hunt's son, and it's Harold Ramis. We love to see Ramis and he's delightful and no, no shade to Harold Ramis, And there is truth to the scene of when someone is telling you your kid is gonna be okay when your kid is sick, that like there is a huge fucking relief. Of course, obvious.
Speaker 2: Monster, I don't know that, And I'm actually happy in that scene. I'm kind of like, where's the movie gonna go now? And Nicholson comes right the next fucking scene, like right away was up the stairs and says, I didn't need today. You ruined my day, yes, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well so there's I was bringing this up because it's she talks about like, oh, this is such a huge relief, and she like hugs it, hugs Harold Ramis and she's like, you know, it's a huge moment. And then like the next thing for hers, like she's crying to her mother about like, well, now I don't know what to do with myself because I don't know how to worry. I don't have this to worry about anymore so, and I don't have a man. Basically, it's like that's now that she's done worrying about her son every five seconds, she.
Speaker 2: Now has to think about trying to not dialoge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So there's this whole thing where like she's like writes a letter that she's gonna give to Jack Nicholson to thank him, and then she like goes out in the middle of the night in a rainstorm in a T shirt and no, oh, bra, I'm wearing a jet By the way, she rarely seems to be wearing a bra in this movie, which that is not a thing for moms, by the way, we wear bras, Like.
Speaker 2: It's very Charlie's Angels.
Speaker 1: And she like shows up at his house and it's like she's not wearing a bron and it's like, so haha, it's not funny.
Speaker 2: And I'm like the Notebook except not sexy at all and really irritating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just very, very stupid. And she tells him like, I'm not going to sleep with you. I will never sleep with you never ever, not ever, Like okay, you know, but she but she will, she will eventually, you know, it's gonna happen. But and he's like, okay, he won't take the note. It's like whatever, who cares? Yeah, the Gauge, the the Gagent bullies Melvin into like driving Simon to Baltimore and then Melvin Bullize Carol to go with them. He says it's because he's afraid the Greg kinnear is going to make a pass at him because he's so irresistible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this six year old dick is really irresistible to Greg kennear by the way tractive thirty year olds. Right, he's super fucking injured and the last thing he wants to do probably right yeahing him this whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh so hot.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not going to give you a handy. But but they drive to Baltimore and they're driving out of the city and they're in a car, and he's got the CDs, like the different Kinds of Jesus, and it's all labeled. It's all so tweet what they try to do sometimes it's so tweety. So he has these labels for like music, and they drive there and then at one point this I don't know why, this also really annoyed me, but like they're driving and then Greg Caneer starts giving his trauma dump.
Speaker 1: You know, Oh my god, I just I wrote in here oscar clip.
Speaker 2: That's where she's like, I want to give you my full attention. So we're going to pull over. Does that you can drive and talk? There's no like, there's no, he's not saying anything. No one's heard before. Oh I have parents that are homophobes. Oh really, never heard that story before. Yeah, we're New Yorkers. Everybody comes here from the gay home.
Speaker 1: It's true. His monologue reminds me of Wayne's world, where it's like Oscar clip, Oscar clip, Oscar clip.
Speaker 2: Like taking the ice, like throwing water at his face to look like crying.
Speaker 1: Right, and there's oh, sorry, go ahead, don't go ahead. I just say there is. There could be a whole other movie here, like if they had because I think what the movie's trying to do at some point is because he talks about like I used to draw my mother like you know, like one of my French girls basically, and you know my dad saw and he didn't like and blah blah blah, And it basically happens again later like he's drawing Helen Hunt. Jack Nicholson comes home and he's like, did you sleep with her? You know, and it gets all mad. There is a movie here that could have been from like Simon's point of view. And it's like, hey, like my parents disown me and he kind of makes his own family and learns acceptance and blah blah blah. But that's not what this movie is now. It doesn't want to do that. Instead, it's from this like racist, homophobic bigot that it's told from his point of view for someone.
Speaker 2: And we're all supposed to think we need to be more understanding of him, Yes, and then he'll be a better person. Which look at the world we live in now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, if you don't give.
Speaker 2: Them anything, you don't give them a fucking inch. Yes, you don't know have to.
Speaker 1: We're all done with that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's part of it too. It's just like what a what a white male privileged thing to be sixty years old? Yeah, and then kind of stamp back and say, give me all the due respect I think I have, but also give me all kinds of space to make mistakes, but don't call me on my mistakes. You know I'm still better than you. But yeah, I mean, like the mind games that are that we have to go through to deal with people like this is like, it's not that is not the center character of a story. And I know it was nineteen ninety seven. I was alive in nineteen ninety seven, a full grown adult, and I knew that was a shit movie, and a shit I guess. And I could not understand because who cares what happens in this movie after this part? I mean, honest to god, it doesn't make sense. He's painting and he's taking drawings of her, and he's how many drawings did he do in one night? He did like there for hours. I was like sixty drawings. He could do a calendar with her.
Speaker 1: He basically stayed up all night drawing her. And but before all of that, like Helen Hunt is on the phone with her son. He's like playing soccer and she's like, oh my god, he's a real boy. And so she's like, I want to go out to dinner to celebrate, and great keneers like, peace out. I'm not doing that, and so she's like, well, you're taking me on a date then, Melvin, and you've made it very clear that you don't want to sleep with Melvin, so that's what are you doing. But like she gets all dressed up, he takes the world's longest shower. Apparently, they go to dinner where he is the whole way to the restaurant. He's like, they better have hard chilled crabs. They better have hard chilled crabs. I better have how fun for her? How fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, and then it turns out there's you have to wear a suit and a tie, and like he doesn't have that, and he won't wear the one from the restaurant, so he has to go buy one.
Speaker 2: It's like, h and he can't walk in the store because they have cracks in the floor that he can't walk on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but he'll walk on five minutes from now and totally forget that he has OCD. So he buys a suit a tie, goes back. She almost says that he looks sexy, and I was like, like, almost did a spit taker and she said it, yeah, I know, girl, be serious drunk?
Speaker 2: Are you already?
Speaker 1: And then they sit down to eat and he insult again. She's like, I'm gonna leave unless you give me a compliment because that's totally how people speak.
Speaker 2: That's how we talk totally.
Speaker 1: And then he says like, hey, like, after you came over and said you wouldn't fuck me, I started digging anti depressants because you make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 2: And they work in twelve hours. They don't by the way, just waving to you over here. It's a few weeks before you see any notice, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also the whole like the movie thinks this is a huge moment.
Speaker 2: It's a hero.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes, you make me want to be a better man. And she's a.
Speaker 2: Line to this movie that they think are resonating and they're just so obviously a scripted line is just I mean, it's it's such an insult to the intelligence. Yeah, and the people that fall for this. I do side I you because I I'm sorry, not sorry, I I I just like, have you never seen a movie before?
Speaker 1: She's like, this is the biggest compliment I've ever received, And I'm all gross, it's so gross. Like the idea.
Speaker 2: I wonder what that that son's father looks like, yeah, he's really real.
Speaker 1: He the idea of you came over and said you wouldn't fuck me made me realize that, man, I really want to fuck you. So I started taking antidepressants that's.
Speaker 2: Which kill your sex drive. But okay, it's just and I just and.
Speaker 1: Then they like I don't know, and she like scooches over and kisses him. And at no point, at no point in this movie do I believe.
Speaker 2: That she likes him. He's not likable, he had his better person self. He's an asshole. He's innoxious. Oh, he's believable. He's condescending, he's dismissive, he is completely charmless. Yes, he pays her son's hospital bills. I get it, that's a big trait to make. But he has nothing else other than that. Yeah, I mean maybe one foot in the grade with one foot the grave, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the Salt Lake City reference.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Bless you, Angie for that line. Angie, that's gonna live in my head for the rest of my life. Yep, it's just so you don't buy it at any point. And then she's like, why did you bring me? Because she's trying to get him to say.
Speaker 2: You like me, which you know she needs that validation, yeah, which.
Speaker 1: He already just said, Hey, I'm taking antidepressants. Kind I want it because I want to fuck you so bad. But she wants more than that, so she's like, why did you bring me? And then he says, well, I was kind of hoping you'd sleep with Simons, so he wouldn't be gay anymore, which is not why he brought her.
Speaker 2: No, and it's not funny and it's too funny. It's a stupid line. And like you still don't like Simon after all of this, Like seriously, you don't have any affection for him whatsoever, all the shit Simon's been.
Speaker 1: Through, yeah, which you clearly do, because they've established it. He does like he's got him soup and he's walking the dog and like you know, all this stuff, but like whatever, So then she's like fuck you. Then like goes back to the hotel and decides to sleep in Simon's room, because again that's what a normal person does, right. They go and they sleep in a room that's not their room, and she.
Speaker 2: Takes her clothes up as she's walking in, like I'm gonna take a shower and order some food. Is that okay? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, He's like, yeah, she has her own room, like right, but whatever, because you know it has to be that way because we need Simon to have his aha moment where he sees like a nearly nude Helen Hunt getting in the tub and she he's like, draw me like one of your French girls, and then you know, so he's inspired and he draws a bunch of stuff and then here comes Jongerlesen. It's like, and no, he's gay, dude, he's gay.
Speaker 2: He didn't and and and just Jesus, dude, like, just get a grip. Just I mean, the entitlement is just off the chain. It's just the toxic masculinity of this person. And just he's just toxic in every single way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's And so they've made this trip though for no fucking reason, because Grey ken Hearn never goes to see his parents because he well, now that I can draw again, everything will be fine.
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna live with Jack Nicholson, right, He's gonna live in the guest room because he's lost his apartment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so then Jack Nicholson's like again super shitty to him all the time. And it's still like, you can totally stay in my apartment even though I supposedly have OCD and.
Speaker 2: I can't handle anything.
Speaker 1: I can't handle anything that's different, but go ahead live with me. So like he lives with him, And because Simon is going to live with Melboyn, then Carol's like, maybe he's not so bad again again, Carol's like, maybe he's not so bad. And I just wrote in my notes, why is she trying to make fetch happen? Like it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: This is But it's like we all know women, we all know people sorry, oh my god, we know people like this that continually. But the thing is it's frustrating and annoying. I don't need to see this in my movie. I have this in my life. Yeah, ready, people making very bad choices and then constantly like I don't know, we keep trying to work it out, but I I'm like, it's not.
Speaker 1: Gonna Yeah, there's only so much you could do. So like again, she calls him and she's like maybe I do I mean with you, and then he says something and she's like never mind and like hangs up. And then Simon's like, yeah, but you do really like her, so maybe you should go over there right now and tell her how much you love her. And it's like yeah, I was like, Simon, you're a shitty friend. You're a shitty friend. Simon, you're shitty to Helen Hunt for this and you're being shitty. Yeah, niggles in for this and so Melvin goes over to see Carol and she's like, why can't I have a normal boyfriend? And it's like, why is he?
Speaker 2: Your picker is obviously off. Yeah, the problem Carol.
Speaker 1: You could have a normal boyfriend you don't absolutely have.
Speaker 2: You're cute, you're young, you have a nice home and a nice neighborhood. Nobody could afford. That's really cute, by the way, But I mean, you've got stuff going for you, I think, and I do know people we have friends that are like single pair's that kind of feel like they're damaged good sometimes in the dating scene just because there's like you have a lot of baggage with you, and so I can understand feeling like, oh man, is this ever gonna happen? Well, I meet somebody, But like, what does she need? What does she want from her life? What does she what does she want?
Speaker 1: She is again we're watching we know nothing about her, We're watching her convince herself that this is the best she's gonna get, this is as good as it gets. And her mom basically comes out and says like, no relationship's perfect. You should settle, And it's like a big aha moment, Like, ah, I should settle. Thanks mom for the great advice.
Speaker 2: It's so.
Speaker 1: Fucking stupid.
Speaker 2: It's fucking stupid. And then he comes over to the apartment and then they're gonna walk to their next date or whatever. They're gonna walk around windsor Terrace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're gonna walk, walk and walk in. They're going to walk to a bakery. She's in her pajamas again, no bra, and it's very distracting, and like he again says something stupid, and she's like, you need to give me a compliment. And he's like, I'm the only one who thinks you're the greatest woman alive. That's his compliment, which is what a fucked up, toxic ever way.
Speaker 2: I want you no one else because you're so crazy, because you're so difficult. You're lucky to have me because I'm the only one who sees you yes, and appreciates you, which is what an abusive, manipulative, narcissistic shit bag would do would.
Speaker 1: And then at the end, like as they're walking to the pastry shop, he's he's noticing, we've noticed now that he's stepping on all the cracks because guess what, love is all you.
Speaker 2: That is all you need.
Speaker 1: To get over OCD. He's see, he's fine now.
Speaker 2: Just needed the right woman who's willing to give up all of her standards. When you find one that will lower all of their standards to accept, you, go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's gonna lower all of her standards, and she's got that magic pussy that's gonna make it all better. And she's cured your OCD and all your mental health issues. Like this movie is bullshit.
Speaker 2: This movie fucking sucks. It's it's awful. It's terrible about people. It's terrible about New York. It's terrible about relationships. It's terrible about Baltimore. It's terrible about the dog. It's terrible in hospitals. Like, it's terrible in every way. There's not one character, not one that I was like, oh, I think I know that. Sorry. The one date she does have with that really cute guy guy I recognize, Like, yeah, he'll put up with vomit on his shirt from the sun in order to get laid like he's like, I get him. Yeah, everybody else nobody talks like a person. No, and I don't. And once again, like I watched twin Peaks for hours last week, Like I don't need that necessarily, but it should be artistic. It should be there's like, I don't understand what the messaging is here. It's just promoting mediocrity in relationships.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's as good as it gets, right, Like, that's what it's right there in the title, like you should settle, try settling. Have you tried settling? That's the alternate title.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's it's it doesn't you're talking to this sixty year old in cel rage aholic. Yes, asshole that has no charm. That is just and he's he's just old enough to be old, but not old enough to die soon, so he's just gonna be around for a long time. It's just there's nothing. I don't care about her. I don't care about him. I barely care about the son or her grandmother. They're just plot conveniences.
Speaker 1: Yep, they're just.
Speaker 2: Yugaguding Junior. He's doing a thing like he's fine, but it's just like once again, the script is terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was right after like Jerry. This was a year after Jerry maguire. So he's already won an Oscar, right, maybe he wasn't an Oscar winner when he did this movie. He's certainly bringing a lot of energy. I'll say that he does that. That's him, he's actually doing He's bringing something a little different than what everyone else is doing. And I'm I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: I'm fine, but I am too, I am too. It's just but then, like when you look at it, and like Greg kennear, Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt got Oscar nominations for the performances in this I I would have you know what, I'd be that happier with Kate Winslet Wednesday winning that over her. I think she's doing more in that movie, and she has a more believable accent and everything else. Yes, this movie, she's just Helen Hunt's character is just miserable and put upon and just lashes out in weird ways and like it has no standards, just seriously, no standards.
Speaker 1: I might be harder on her now than I was on this role. I should say this role not Helen Hunt per se, because I am a single mom with a special needs son and I see what she's doing here and I was like, it makes me mad to watch. So I was like, what the fuck are you doing? Like you let's let's say, okay, this man shows up and he pays the hospital bills, and now your son is actually like healthy and like starting to live a normal life. And then you get this like time back almost like that you this energy that you can pour into yourself and improve your life, and instead she decides to pour it into Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'm who has special needs and and she has to give up herself in order to feel better about herself. She has to and it's I fucking hate this movie so much hated.
Speaker 1: I feel like when Roger Ebert wrote that review of North and he's like, I hated, hated.
Speaker 2: Hate, hated this movie.
Speaker 3: I hate it, And like I go on letterbox and I see like lots of people are like three stars, three stars, five star, five star AMTV, and I'm like, not for me, this is oh my god, is this the new Meet the Parents?
Speaker 1: Where like everyone loves it except for it could be so bad.
Speaker 2: I did the IMDb and it was the same thing. I went to look at the reviews and for the original at the original time that it came out, and there were people who called out the shit you and I are talking about. Okay, good, But Roger Eber gave it three stars. Yeah, yeah, it all got like these seventy eighty percent eighty percent tile you know, positive reviews, and I'm I'm it boggles my mind. It's just like every once in a while, Hollywood gets behind a movie that they've decided is really important and everybody needs to see it and it's accessible to anyone, you know, it's nothing, and then so we're all supposed to like it and it's just fucking garbage. It's just hot garbage. It is garbage.
Speaker 1: Another good example of this, go back and listen to our episode on Crash Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or American Beauty.
Speaker 1: Oh, American Beauty is an even better example. Good call out, Margo. Yeah, so this movie nominated for seven Oscars. I thought you might like to hear some of the other yes, please, Okay, let's start with Best Actress, because Helen Hunt actually won for this lol one one that accent. Yes, I think there's I think there's a clear person I would have voted for over her in this category. So, Kate Winslet was nominated for Titanic, Judy Dench for Missus Brown I've never seen it. I've never seen it. Julie Christi for After Glow, I've never seen it. Helen Bonham Carter for the Wings of the Dove. I haven't seen that one either, and then Helen Hunt wins I.
Speaker 2: Would have given it. Kate Winslet he too, Yeah, he too. I think she's great at Titanic. I think the movie sits on her shoulders. I mean, we're supposed to think about Leonardo DiCaprio, but I think it's her and I care about her character. I'm on her journey with her. I root for her. I yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: By the way, Leonardo Dicapro wasn't even nominated for Titanic, which is fucking bonkers.
Speaker 2: That's if that that sucks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like yeah, if you nominate her like that, yeah, yeah, I don't get it. So Jack Nicholson wins for Best for Best, he is.
Speaker 2: Not good in this movie, y'all.
Speaker 1: Nope, I don't like it. So other nominees Matt Damon for Goodwill Hunting he was good in that. He's very good in that. Robert Duvall for The Apostle.
Speaker 2: He's really good in that. That's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Peter Fonda for Julie's Gold.
Speaker 2: Such a boring movie, but but he's nice. I've worked with him on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, Peter Fonda side note, everybody, Peter Fonda is one of the actors in Thomas and the Magic Railroad, which is a Thomas the Tank Engine movie. It is bananas to me that Peter Fonda isn't it. And he's like in a totally different movie than everyone else, And he's so serious and looks like he's gonna cry at any moment, and everyone else was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: It's dumb.
Speaker 1: Is the whacking reil? It's weird.
Speaker 2: I worked with him on his autobiography and a friend of mine worked at Sundance for Julie's Goals. She worked for that movie, and she she's said the funniest thing she said was like she was taking him to parties in Sundance, like she had to esport him, and one of the parties like they didn't recognize his name or didn't recognize him, and they were kind of giving him a hard time, and she said, Peter Fonder just said whoa abstract power trip, which I was funny and cool. That is cool. He's kind of a hippie.
Speaker 1: So Greg kinnear nominated for As Good as It Gets for Best Supporting Actor.
Speaker 2: He's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean he's fine, but the no on this is a tough category. Actually, Burt Reynolds was nominated for Boogie Knights.
Speaker 2: He was good in that. Yep.
Speaker 1: Anthony Hopkins for Amistad.
Speaker 2: Never saw that. I didn't see it. This one is.
Speaker 1: These last two are tough. Robert Forrester for Jackie Brown, he's last good. But the winners Robin Williams for good Will Hunting.
Speaker 2: You know, I got a hand to him though. He's really good in that movie. And he is also is like an anchor in that movie. I think he really is.
Speaker 1: And I you know, we can't say bad things about Robin Williams, but Robert Forrester is real, real good.
Speaker 2: And Jackie Brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nominated for Best Picture. It did not win Titanic One, but also nominated The Full Monty.
Speaker 2: Like that's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Goodwill Hunting and La Confidential great movies.
Speaker 2: Those are all really good movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then did it wasn't nominated. It was also nominated for Screenplay Stop but it did not win. Goodwill Hunting won but also nomin christ Boogie Nights, which yes, yeah, definitely constructing Harry the Woody Allen movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: And then the Fool Monty, which is also that's a cute movie. Yeah, and then I think that was probably everything else for that movie.
Speaker 2: All right, So here's the top ten. So this was this movie came out on Christmas. Yay, it came out Christmas nineteen ninety seven. So and I don't know half these songs. You're gonna have to help me some of these. So number ten, My Love is the sh something for the People featuring Trina and tomorrow I got nothing or Tamera. Oh okay, sorry, I think I know the song. It's Savage Garden number nine, truly Madly, deeply Savage Garden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know that one.
Speaker 2: Number eight show Me Love by Robin. Oh, I know that one.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Number seven Feels So Good by Mace.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the one that it's samples something a shit. Oh well, anyway, yes, I know that song. I can't remember what it samples though, if.
Speaker 2: You, okay, you'd be like, oh yeah, Number six My Body by LSG. No, I don't know that one. Number five all about the Benjamin's Puff Daddy and the family. That's a good song. He's a creep, but that's a great song that documentary. Yeah, he's a lunatic. But number four this is a great song Janet Jackson together again.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I love that one.
Speaker 2: Number three Usher you make me wanna Yeah, m hm. Number two this is a song you Couldn't escape Leanne rhymes, how do how Do I Live? Oh? My god? What wasn't it?
Speaker 1: It was in con Air right con Air?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a great movie.
Speaker 1: It's a good song.
Speaker 2: And number one Candle the Wind nineteen ninety seven Elton John.
Speaker 1: I know I don't listen to that.
Speaker 2: I don't either. Nobody is it's a little schlocky. I mean it's it's for Princess Die but but yeah, but it's a little shocky. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What else are you dorky out about?
Speaker 2: My friend? You know? Not that much. There wasn't there's been. It's been kind of slow with the with the shows. There was the one I was watching about Huxley HBO Max or it's called Max Now. It's a documentary and it was about this couple that was a YouTube family channel and they adopt. It's a and I think they're Mormon, they're religious, they they adopt. Yeah, sorry, go ahead, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Yeah. So they they adopt a child from Asia. I'm not sure where, maybe he's Chinese, China, Chinese, China, China. He uh. They adopt this kid and they bring him to the family and then he's like the star of the videos, and then all of a sudden, he's not in their videos anymore. And then they said, oh, we had to rehome it like oh god, these people suck. Yeah, and it's about like it's all about the business of like family vloggers and you know, how much is too much and what people and uh yeah these people wow. Yeah, but that kid went through.
Speaker 1: Its bananas story because there's three episodes, and the first one is like here's the rise of the Staffer family, Like this is how they they're in the like family vlogging sphere, and they also interview all these people who watch family vlogs and like why and explain why they watched them where they're like, hey, like I was pregnant and she was pregnant at the same time, and a lot of my friends and family weren't pregnant, so I felt like, I don't know, we were on the same journey together. Or I'm raising kids and I'm trying to learn things blah blah blah whatever. So we try to understand why people are watching these things. And then we start meeting these people that also make these kinds of logs, and we see kind of the the path the staffer families on, like it starts small and it gets really big, and there's all these sponsorships and she has like two kids, I think, and then I think she's trying for a bird and like or a fourth and like it's not happening. So then she's like, I'm we should adopt. We're going to adopt from China. So they start documenting that whole journey and then they and I know.
Speaker 2: People who have adopted to China, like it's a huge undertaking. Yeah, international adoptions.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, god, I know I know people who have adopted internationally as well. Yeah, and I know that some people have also, like the children tend to have like more special needs than Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's dramatic, which is not people. I think that's object people should be more well aware of. Yeah, but yeah, it's a very traumatic thing with this one because they give him an American kind of name. I mean, they they I guess they're just blending him into the family. But yeah, he has some issues, and then you're kind of like, well, what were they and and then you find out that he was sucking his thumb. So they did a thing where they duct taped his thumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they like, yeah, there was a whole thing where like at one point they have like a thumb brace on him, and like people are like, there there's very differing opinions about the thumbrace where it's like some people are like, that's fucked up, and then other people are like, well, their teeth are coming in and if they're sucking their thumbs, they can like really fuck up their teeth.
Speaker 2: So that's what braces are for, y'all. I mean my brother had the same thing. He was a thumb sucker and fucking taping his fucking hand.
Speaker 4: No, no, we don't take like especially these are dun too also and exactly, and then there's one there's one video they showed where she's like, oh, he's going to a speech therapist.
Speaker 2: But there was somebody charging me five hundred dollars, So that's too much. So we're gonna get somebody only charged fifty dollars for having I'm like, you make so much money. They're always showing off their house and everything they have.
Speaker 1: She's marrying like a really fancy like yeah cardiate braceleism.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's really I mean these people suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really icky. So they you see the rise and you see the views go up, right, and then he it turns out he's a lot more work than they They just paid it. Then they anticipated that they wanted, you know, and like at some point they're even talking about adopting again, and it's like they're you are if I tried to extend a little empathy, I'm like, babe, they really do want to adopt, but I was like, no, they don't. It's for the views. They they saw their views go way up when they did this, and they made a shit ton of money off of it, and they want to do it again and they're getting ready to do that, and then all of a sudden, like Huxley just disappears, and like you see them start making all their con like his stuff private, right, and they're kind of and people are commenting like where is he? And they're like deleting the comments. And that's really scary because people were.
Speaker 2: Like where is he?
Speaker 1: Like what's wrong? Like did something happen to him blah blah blah, like people start calling the police to like do wellness checks.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, because you think about it, because some of those kids are really being abused, they have to be hailed a brand in Utah yep, right with her kids. I mean that that they sent the police there and they didn't even do anything. It took like the kid had to run away to get help. But yeah, I mean these but also it's I mean you, you and I are of that generation like of people raising their kids on vlogs and on you know, first off the blog of blogg is Fear and now the vlog is Fear and having their own having their podcasts and all their TikTok videos and shit, and people see like you can make great money at it, but you have to get the views, and so what is it? And she started she was like really into cleaning, and so she did all these cleaning videos. But then and then parenting, and then her husband was a fix it guy, like it's garage and stuff. And then they noticed that people like the parenting stuff and they were like, well, we're looking to expand our family anyway, so what if we adopt, well, we should do it on camera and I and it's I don't know, I don't know any case we're going to find out. I think that it's really messed up to make a living off your family like this, because it show business families they have that too, and it's not great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not great. And I think a lot of these kids are going to start hitting eighteen, like any second now, and they're going to start telling their stories and I think we're going to learn a lot. But the whole idea with Huxley was they they they even used the term rehomed, and I was like, that's kind of how you.
Speaker 2: Talk about pets. I don't know that you talk about a dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, I don't like that, Like that's and I I personally don't understand how you just bye bye. Like they had a lot of resources at their hands, like they made a lot of money, and it seemed to me that they were like, had a lot of resources they could have provided him, And it just came down to we don't want to.
Speaker 2: That's too hard. It's too hard, That's what it is. It's too hard. And if he were their natural son, they wouldn't have any recourse. But because he was adopted. They just kind of want to rescind the offer or whatever. And that's which is I mean, I hope he's okay. That's my thing, Like I hope wherever he is, I hope he's okay. I can it feels like he was abandoned twice, right, I mean, we're to China and then here, I mean Jesus, so.
Speaker 1: It's really sad. And they do interview someone else who also adopted. Someone adopted a daughter who I think had a lot.
Speaker 2: Of mean yeah, like special needs and mental health issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and her first adoption, that child had a lot of special needs, and she is, you know, seems to be fine. They have interviews with her, and she's still with them, But then they adopted another one and that child had more needs than they anticipated, and they basically had to like quote unquote rehome that child. And she's like, I have a lot of empathy for the Stoffers, and.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we don't know everything, of course, yeah, And I'm like, you know what, if we're gonna I would have liked them to dig a little deeper into that then, so that I could have a little bit more understanding into maybe how the stoppers got where they got right, because I I can't understand it.
Speaker 1: And even with that one interview from that one woman, I was like, I still don't really get it. I don't get it, and I know and and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of people are really really upset about it, as they should have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and some of those people that got really upset or honestly, they're just men who want to get on the internet and be shitty to women. Yeah, they directed all their anger at the mom and I right now, there's there's two parents here, Like, these were just men who wanted to be like, fucker, she's the fucking worst, and it's like, you don't have any of that anger for the dad. I noticed like some dudes just like the Pylon.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I saw that there's three episodes.
Speaker 1: And then it's a tough watch.
Speaker 2: It's a tough it was a tough watch, and it was Yeah, and then there's on Disney or Hulu they have Scamanda and that's O. Yes. So you and I had Charlie Webster. She was the she's the host and the producer we had. She had a podcast that came out last the summer of twenty three. I think it was and you and I had her on our show and she was great, she was so nice. Yes, but this is this is like a formal produced documentary and it's just the first part that's at out now. But once again, rage baiting. It's like somebody who fakes having cancer in order to get attention, and it's it's mind boggling, And it's also just it tells you how much as human beings we trust other people. Yeah, how much trust we have in other people, and we assume so much goodness in them, and we assume they're telling the truth to us, and we assume all these things, and when somebody just takes advantage of you, it's it's such Yeah. But rail that one is on my list for sure, and I know it's gonna piss me off all over. Yeah, but those are the those are the things I'm jorking out about it. In addition, we'll talk about the other stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh, update about our family was also on my list. And then I have started American American Manhunt OJ Simpson.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I couldn't do that one.
Speaker 1: I don't imagine I'm going to learn anything new. Yeah, because you know, by the way, if you haven't seen it made in America. The OJ Simpson made in America. Yeah, is like the fucking best. Like it is so good at explaining like everything that happened before, everything that happened after, like the whole case. It gave context, so much context, so good. So this isn't really gonna do that, I don't think. But I was like, I'm still gonna watch it. So I had it on while I was doing my laundry, and it's it's fine. I like those Netflix true crime documentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, say you know, but the case is so fucked up. It's so fucked up.
Speaker 1: Surprise what else? Much like the same as you. I haven't been watching too much stuff because the world.
Speaker 2: Is too much. Yeah, I'm sticking to things that I already watch and like my comfort viewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been playing YouTube clips and stuff. I've been playing video games a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It requires me to not look at my phone and read the news. So and I think I talked about that and our bonus up for what a creep. But I've been playing a game called Wildflowers, where you work on a farm at your grandma's farm and your witch at night. And then I've also been playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure, which is very cute, very wholesome, very distracting. And then of course I have been watching and I know you have been watching Real Housewives of Salt.
Speaker 2: Lake City, which is and there. It just had a fantastic season and now they're right now. They just finished two of the three part episodes for the reunions, and it's the best show in television. I'm sorry, Like this is the case where people also say things and do things that I would never do, but it's so entertaining, which is the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're doing it.
Speaker 2: But they're doing it, but like you believe them, you know what I mean, Like they believe their own bullshit. They're all completely believing their own bullshit. So it's so entertaining.
Speaker 1: It's so entertaining. And also like they all just like fucking yell at each other. It's like white. Yes, it's very relaxing.
Speaker 2: I love the pictures I was looking on social media. They're like the this couch just shares one brain and it's like Heather and Meredith and Lisa and those two husbands of theirs. Yeah, it's one of those Like I get so mad because they're all screaming at each other, and I'm like, I get annoyed with people. And then they go to Mary's story, which is Mary's who married her grandfather, her step grandfather, but anyway, her son had a drug issue and she talked about they talked about it on the air, and they put sent them to rehab. And I was sobbing my eyes out, like I know this story and this is not a news story, but a lot of yeah, but a lot of she just Mary has that weird ability to just like you pay attention to her, and she could be mean. Sometimes she can be really nasty, but then she can also just be so kind and silly and present, and she just the and all of them were sobbing, except for Meredith. Right, all of them were like crying when she was talking about her son, but it was really and Andy was crying, which never happens.
Speaker 1: I can't figure out they kept showing Meredith, and I was of two minds here because Meredith is just sitting there staring. Actually I was of three minds, one where I was like, well, maybe she's had so much botox that yeah, you know, But then the other one was was was she jealous of Mary? And Angie's friendship or is she jealous that Mary's getting all this love and attention.
Speaker 2: It's both of those things. Yeah, they all are jealous because they want that attention, because they all want to be the hero of the show. And then on top of that Mary. At one point, Ron Whin said something and Mary goes, that's why she's the fan favorite because she gives the most and you knew that's stuck in all their collective craws, which she said that they all want to be the star of the show. And Mary does it effortlessly, like seriously, there's no there's no guile about her. She just reacts. She shows up in a scene and reacts, and you never know what you're gonna get. And she is so funny. I mean, she could be really mean, but she goes to be so so funny, just really and no bullshit. I love the fact that she just does, Like, you do something that pisses her off, she will let you know and she's not gonna let you just walk away with it. Like she demands that you act, you behave yourself. And I love that.
Speaker 1: I like people like I actually tend to me too. I tend to have a lot of people like that my life because I'm and other people find those kinds of people abrasive. I don't at all. I'm like, no, I appreciate, I know where I stand always yes with those people like I appreciate that about them, and they tend it's so funny because they don't often get very mad at me, these people that I have in my life because I do always I'm always I always have good intentions, but like if something I do comes across wrong, they'll say, like, well that didn't come out right right, call me on it, and I'm all, thank you, Like I appreciate you. So I appreciate that. And I think that Mary was just much warmer this season. I think maybe Angie brought that out in her. Well, they talk about it. She says, like that friendship with Angie and the trust that she has with Angie made her feel more comfortable to like.
Speaker 2: You know, Meredith got really jealous for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and but I could see you could see it. And she was just more fun this season, like doing the zip line and all the stuff with Robert Jr. Really opening up and just how funny she is when she wants to be like, yeah, I really really appreciate. She was such a star. Her and Angie were such stars this season. Yeah, that's why they get to sit next to Andy.
Speaker 2: They were on the cool couch. The other couch was ridiculous. It was it was ridiculous. It's entertaining, it's it's so I mean, the fact that it's real reality TV like these are. They're not. They're just improving like they're not. There's no script like they just are reacting and the way they do it and they're so good at it.
Speaker 1: And the editing. The editing on the show is unbelievable. Oh, they come with her seats always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Meredith's just going on and on about Monica from last season. You know that's when Andy hated Meredith, right because she she was like, play the clips and now they all do that. Now play the clips and then the booth has to look for the clip for the thing that you know, nothing makes Meredith happy like she's She always says like, I have a sense of humor. You can laugh at me, I can blah blah blahah. I just and it's like, no, you don't. You are humorless. You take yourself very seriously. You know, you have a grievance, you blow it up to something.
Speaker 1: Huge because she wants her time, she wants her screen day. You know, I am leaving and I am removing myself from this situation.
Speaker 2: Like she she dos Santa X rumors are very hard for her to be to me, Yeah, yeah, she.
Speaker 1: Just fucks around, does fuck all like all season and then in the last two episodes she's like, oh shit, I didn't do any work. And then it's like you can leave your boil, like brings out all the big guns. In those last two episodes.
Speaker 2: She is she is something something I don't want to People are like, what do we what do we get from Meredith? And I'm like, you know, a lot of the times nothing, but when she does deliver, it's better. She showed up at they had a Mary had a thing where she had an Audrey Hepburn themed lunch and Maren showed up wearing a wig and to give herself bangs. But it looks like she put on the wig backwards and she just and she's an attractive woman and she just looks absurd.
Speaker 1: Just there were so many moments this season like for yeah, Meredith with her wig that is maybe backwards. I don't know what she's doing.
Speaker 2: And then and then the eye patch things she made from the sleep mask because she poked her eye in the middle.
Speaker 1: Of mar Yeah, it's so weird, like she's a pirate or what is she doing? And then like Mary showing up late to the button Mitzvudge. She's like outside trying to look through all the windows, and she's like right behind.
Speaker 2: Like she's a blura and Mary's like behind them in a window, like they can see her there. What are you doing? Looked looking?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was so funny. I laughed so good. It's like the best comedy and drama on TV.
Speaker 2: I swear it really is.
Speaker 1: And then all of our all of our other shows are back. You know, your your Elisabeth's, your Matt Lox, your your Abbot Elementaries. They're all back, so, which is good because we all need some distress. Yeah, and uh for a while, I think we're going to need these distractions. So and then we're gonna get below Deck.
Speaker 2: Down down Under. They're going to actually their own Africa there, they're in Africa. Yeah, and Captain Jason is back, and that's going to be I mean all we'll be right in the world. As long as blow Deck.
Speaker 1: Is on, I know we'll at least have that. Yeah, yeah, sorry. I also have a short list because again I've just been mainly playing video games and watching what I already know, because right that's what I can handle.
Speaker 2: I go to the comfort things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and everybody that could depend on yes, yeah, everybody, take care of yourself. Everything's a lot like right now. And if you like the sound of our voices, we co host a podcast called What a Creep where we talk about creeps in the past and the present. Our episode out right now is Tell.
Speaker 2: Andrew Keyho and it's about nineteen twenty seven's Bath School massacre. It happened in Bath, Michigan. It's and it's a tough one. It's not one of the fun ones. It's not just calling somebody an asshole for a while. It's a tough one. But I think it also speaks to unfortunately things that are happening now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I think what we discover a lot on What a Creep is there are no original ideas even in creepdom.
Speaker 2: And if you like movies, we did do. We talked about John Hughes movies. A couple of weeks ago. So if you're looking for a more fun one, yeah, that's what a creep that's a good one to start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we always end the episode with someone who's not a creepy. Right at the end of that most recent episode, I made a list of like good things for us that you can read or watch.
Speaker 2: Or follow or whatever. So yeah, so do that, my friend.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 2: So, as of right now, you can find me for sure at Brooklynfitchick dot com. That's my site. I'm at Brooklynfitchick for threads and Instagram. I'm at Brooklyn Margo for Blue Sky and also for TikTok, and then at YouTube, I'm at my name Margo Donahue.
Speaker 1: Follow her on all the things. She shares clips and her book is coming out later this year about Saturday Night Fever, and you're not gonna want to miss any good stuff.
Speaker 2: I actually spoke to the director yesterday, John Bata. We were writing back and forth and he' psyched to read it.
Speaker 1: Of course he is, we all are.
Speaker 2: He's eighty five, so I'm like holding on. I'm like, please o August dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like soon and I will have a book for you. I'm also excited to read it. It's going to be it's gonna be awesome. You can find me at the Sonia Show dot com and the Sonya Show on Blue Sky and threads and Instagram and TikTok all the places for now. Email us at Dorking Out Show if you give us your address, Margot will send you stickers. Because she is very kind, she will do that. But we also take requests. So if you have a movie that you would love for us to talk about, that's a great place to send it to us. You can email us, you can follow us on threads and blue Sky and Instagram, and you could go to Facebook again. Requests are great. Give us a review wherever you listen, if it's on spreaker or Spotify or Apple podcasts. It helps us find our people. We super appreciate you for doing that. Thank you, I guess for talking about as good a no.
Speaker 2: Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Going through this bullshit with me, Margo. There's nobody I would else do this with.
Speaker 2: It was a good way to assimilate my rage was to do it through this movie. So it does work in that way. If you're pissed about something, watch this movie and just yell at it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of therapy to be had with watching something that makes you mad. I'm gonna go punch a pillow.