Speaker 1: Clownish Authenticity Podcast. Thanks for tuning in to Boundless Authenticity. A huge shout out to all our new subscribers and followers. If you haven't followed yet, make sure to hit that follow button now. You can catch the show on Spreaker, Spotify, Apple, Rumble, and occasionally YouTube unless of course, their censored me I recommend using the Spreaker app. It's free, there's no sign up required, just press play and enjoy. By subscribing, you'll be the first to know when new episodes drop and help the show reach more listeners, meaning we can bring on the guests that you want to hear from. New episodes drop three times a month, the sixth, sixteenth, and the twenty sixth, so mark your calendars. My guest today is Sasha Quint's, a relationship coach who integrates deep emotional work with proven methodologies to help people heal and transform their relationships. You can reach her on Instagram at Sasha Quint's Love Coach. How's it going?
Speaker 2: So good to be here. I'm very excited for this opportunity to chat and connect and hopefully leave your listeners with some amazing tools and their love life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited. To have you. This is the first of its kind on this show. We usually just talk about woo woo stuff, So I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Woo woo who too. So it's okay, you're not.
Speaker 1: Far you mean we're not going to talk about aliens. Oh darn, okay, So well let's jump right into it. Tell me about your journey into coaching. What inspired you to become a love and relationship coach. Was there a particular moment or experience that sparked.
Speaker 2: This, Yes, so, I mean I've always been into working with people. I was a yoga and mindfulness and meditation teacher before I became a love and relationship coach. So I did that for over a decade. You know. Actually it was yoga that helped me get through a great loss in my life when I lost my sister in two thousand and nine overnight. And it was a meditation that gave me that solace, you know, to be able to go through the grief and just find a place where, like, the pain wasn't so bad. And as I went through that, yoga became my life for a decade, and I thought that's what I was going to do for the rest of my life. I didn't think anything would change. I worked with many people I supported them through their journey of both physical pain, you know, also mental you know pain as well that comes up and how when we can't handle our mind and you know, it's spiraling. So I went through that whole journey and then I felt like I hit a second rock bottom in twenty seventeen. So I had been in my relationship already for ten years with my partner two boys. They were quite young at the time, and I could just see my relationship like going downhill, literally like sinking, and I felt like I could do nothing to save it. I just felt like I was going to lose everything that I had. And it was so crazy because it was actually self sabotage. I was self sabotaging my own relationship, but I was on a sinking ship that I could not save, and I had no idea how to save it. So when I look back, I kind of wish I had someone like what I've become for people at that time when I was really struggling, and I didn't know I was going to become that at that time. And the first step into love coaching was actually inner child healing. So that's where I began my journey through healing my own inner child that was still struggling from loss and trauma and abandonment. And as I did that, I was able to actually heal my marriage and we've been together now seventeen years. Boys are a lot older. And then I was inspired to become a love and relationship coach so that I could support other women that are struggling with toxic relationships, with self sabotage and in that space where they feel everything sinking and they don't know how to get back out.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting, We love that word self sabotage around here because that's my specialty. But a lot of coaching doesn't seem to work. And I get like the scraps of people who've been to therapy or coaching before, sometimes for similar issues with relationships and stuff. And the thing that other coaches that fail don't seem to get is that the entire thing with coaching is you're dealing with self sabotage. There's no in between. It's just all self sabotaging behaviors. So I get other coaches that they're like, self sabotage coach, What what's that? What that dude, I'm like, you don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I find that for like, self sabotage is so strongly linked to inner child, right to our in our childhood trauma, and it's really the root of the behaviors that we see in our adulthoods.
Speaker 2: So for me it was I was still say till today, it was healing my inner child that saved my marriage. That's what stopped the self sabotage, I.
Speaker 1: Would agree there. So not to get too carried away on that topic, but let's get a little bit of a definition of a loving relationship. So in your experience, what does a healthy love look like? And how can you make a difference between a healthy love and toxic patterns?
Speaker 2: H good question. So I think for the longest time, I personally didn't even know what healthy love looks like because we do not learn this in school. Nobody teaches this to us. The only school we have is what we see growing up, our environment and the relationships we observe society, rom coms all that, right, that's what we look to see, music that we listen to, and that shapes really what we believe healthy love to be or not be. And now that I'm in a space where I am in healthy love, which I wasn't ten years ago. I can say that it is interdependence where you can be with each other, but you can also be without each other. It is a relationship where you can communicate your needs and your feelings, where you can be able to each other, but also respect when that person's viewpoint of something is not your viewpoint, to be able to meet them halfway, to know that we're not here to fix each other. We're here as to just see each other through. Like you are going to trigger me in a nasty way, and I'm going to trigger you in a nasty way. But if we are willing to see each other there and grow together, that is what healthy love is, right, Like, It's not about getting rid of all your triggers and your challenges that come in the relationship. It's that, Okay, this is a hard thing for you and that's a hard thing for me, and we're going to work together. Like I think it's Mary and Willmanson who says that. Imagine you see, like you know a person and they're having a hard time and they're your partner, and you literally just like are like you're disgusting for that and you push them away because they're having a right time. And I think healthy love is being able to see that person having a hard time and see them through it and be there, but at the same time also protect your space, have your boundaries, and be able to make sure that you are taking care of you, because if you take care of you, the rest will take care be taken care of. But the minute you stop taking care of you, that's when the relationship begins to feel resentful and burnout and gets overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So along with that, what are the most common challenges that you think couples face in today's relationships and how can they overcome them.
Speaker 2: I think it's the challenge of you know, not really expressing their needs right, so wanting to make the other person happy all the time, which is just like you're never going to meet that expectation. And when you are so focused on making the other person happy, you are not actually checking in with yourself and see what's making you happy, like how you're actually evolving as a human as well. So that would be one challenge is we feel like we get into a relationship to make that person happy. Another one is that when we go through conflict, we engage in self sabotaging behaviors like withdraw, like blame, shame game, and we go through our nervous system responses. Right, so if we're fight, we're going to like, you know, get very reactive, which was my self sabotaging pattern. Or for my partner, it was like he would withdraw from me and not talk for days. Or also he would fawn and he would try to please in the conversation and then that wouldn't really be what he wanted, so he would hold on to the resentment. So we move from these nervous system patterns that are innately who we are as humans, and we all have them, but we don't actually grow out of them, Like we don't understand each other's patterns. We don't take the time to understand each other's patterns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you because a lot of advice that I've given as well is like anytime you feel stressed, that's you have to say stop and you have to start watching your thoughts and watching your behaviors because that's when you're going to self sabotage. Am I correct?
Speaker 2: Yes, And then you're going to spiral in like a nast story right, Like I've seen this with a lot of my clients do where they go into this really negative place about their partner and then they get stuck in the story. And it's the story that creates the resentment, and it's a story that like you know, fosters the anger and then they I think another thing is like a lot of us, we keep like trying to win in an argument, and we keep trying to go when we're already dysregulated. We keep trying to go, go, go and find a solution. But so your prefount of cortex is already switched off at that point, right, you're you know, like the one that cut your brain, that comes up with consequences and can handle problems. So if you're so disregulated, why are we still communicating about this? And so for from someone like me who had, you know, is recovering abandonment wound, if my partner were to, you know, say I don't want to talk right now, like in the abandonment wound recovery, it would be like, oh my gosh, he hates me. It's pushing me away, this is going to end. This is the end of our relationship. It's done. And then everyone has a different wound that they're coming from. So you have to understand what your wounds are and understand what is important for your unique relationship and when to walk away and what to be telling yourself when you walk away.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's also important to tell the other person, hold on, something's coming up. I'm stressed, and I know that I'm not going to have healthy patterns that come out automatically here now, So I need to figure out what's happening when. We could talk about that if you want to write. So yeah, with that, we get into the role of communication. How crucial is communication and relationships? And what are some practical tips that you can give for improving communication between partners?
Speaker 2: So I think research shows it's like ninety percent or something along those lines. Don't quote me that communication is what breaks relationships, right, and so there's very various layers of it. One thing I could say, if like we're gonna get nitty gritting with tips, is that which really helped myself and my clients on my journey is using I feel and I need statements, not it makes me feel. I feel.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: I feel X and I need y, Right, So you're really just meeting your partner where you're at. Where I think a lot of communication goes wrong is we expect the person to sort of know what we feel and know what we need without actually being very clear and specific and telling them. And so then when we're communicating a boundary, for example, we're expecting our partner to know, but actually they don't know. Your partner's never going to be a mind reader, so you must actually be very specific with what you need. And I find for like men, they are a lot more specific, and for women we sort of just meandered. Our brain works different and we go around, you know, the bend and around the garden, and we think that our partner should know, but like, just stop believing he knows. He doesn't be as specific as you can, state your feeling, state your need. And if you notice that you're communicating from blame, which I that was my one of my toxic patterns. Blame was a big thing, you're already justsregulated. Like the only thing you need to do is get out of that situation, because anything in that situation is going to become very nasty and actually create more distance between you two as well. So I love, I feel, I need I also like one that I'm going to use tonight because I have a Monday night catch up with my partner, or every Monday, regardless of how tired we are, what's been going, god, how late it is, we catch up, we decide what's working well on what we need support on that week. And I've listed a few things that I need to discuss with him, and one of them is going to be in an ideal world, this is what's supporting me, Like this would look like this week in an ideal world. So this is my ideal world. And then he gets to say what his ideal world is and we can hopefully through that find some compromise and some support through the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really loving what you're saying. My partner and I have a relationship similar to that, where every single night we just recap everything that happened throughout the day, how we fell, who said well, who did well. And I think a lot of that's what's missing from society today in general, because everyone is so reactive, right, and I think a lot of that comes down to not knowing what self respect means, because you can't give someone what you don't have, and then also knowing that disagreements are normal and that people are going to have differences, and that differences should actually make you stronger rather than weaker. Right, absolutely, Yeah, So what would your advice be for handling conflict in a way that strengthens the relationship rather than creating more issues and more distance.
Speaker 2: Well, a few things, like when you go into a situation with your partner believing that you need to win the argument, I don't think you think it. You're not thinking I have to win, Like, that's not what you're thinking. But you're going to have the last word. I want to make sure that you say what you need to say and they understand it right. That can really allow conflict to go to a different level that can be very toxic for your relationship. So what I love and when it comes to conflict is always have the most generous interpretation of your partner. I call it MGI always have the most generous interpretation. Right, So you don't know what their day was like, you don't know what's going on, you don't know what childhood trauma you've just clicked on or touched in that moment. So if you can be have the most generous interpretation versus the least generous, and you can even like ask yourself, what is my least generous interpretation of this person right now? Like, for example, my partner was just late coming home and he knew that I had this, you know, espessionally, it's like this podcast agree with you, And the most generous interpretation is that, you know, he was just late, like he's having a hard time, he's doing his best, he's trying to get here. The least generous interpretation would have been, how could you do this? What?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: He knew that I had this going on and the kids aren't in bed yet and now they're going to go to bed late, and you know that that would have been the old me who have had that narrative. So I love MGI for working with conflict. And again, as you touched on, conflict is normal. There is nothing wrong with it. Now, if you didn't see people you grew up with having conflict that got repaired, or like having conflict in getting through it and being okay and still you know, surviving as a couple, you're not going to think it's normal if you're if you were in conflict, if you didn't see it wrong. So it's important to understand that just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it's not normal. And we have to normalize conflict because two people are not going to get along all the time. Just like when you're growing up with your siblings. It's not like you got along all the time. You fought and then you made up. That was part of, you know, the reality of life. And another thing I love with conflict that I use with my partner and my boys all the time is the concept of repair, which you may have heard of, right, So, no matter what happens at the end of the day, as you come out of that, you have this opportunity to work pair and that goes like I did X or I said why that may have made you feel sad or angry or disappointed, whatever you thought, it made them feel that was not okay, and I would like to do something to make it up. And you don't always have to make it up, but that's generally like the rhythm of the repair. So repair is a great way to come back to each other and reconnect after conflict has brought disconnection to the relationship, and conflict is just part of being human. Like I don't think how like how fun would it be if you're always in a relationship where everything was always okay and butterflies and rainbows, Like, it's so unrealistic. We're people at the end of the day, and you're going to hit on your trigger points as a couple, Like it's just normal. You're going to be tired one day, you're going to be hungry, You're going to disagree. You know, you might not have the same values or viewpoints on certain things, and we're always going to fight for our values. Right when it comes to our values, we're going to go straight for them. So it's being opened to the fact that different viewpoints. You can see, you know, you can see a trip that we're taking to. Let's now I'm going to tailand recently soon, so the trips that we're doing in Taialent, you could prioritize, you know, resting more, and I want to prioritize sight seeing. And that's what you value in that moment, that's what I value. And we can respect each other's values for suspiding about them and then find about.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so let's move on to a big hairy gorilla in the room. I get a lot of complaints about modern dating, and you know they I can't find somebody to love me. First of all, what do you expect? You're swiping on a screen, so you don't really have any real connection with the person to begin with. But I'll ask you this question. In the age of online dating, what are some of the biggest mistakes you see people making when looking for love?
Speaker 2: H There's quite a few, Okay. I think that when it comes to online dating, we get and like you said, because it's on a screen, I feel like we get really absorbed in the superficial part of it. You know, how much money they're making, their picture, the words they put on it, and we forget about what is your intention here? What is your intention as you come into this experience. This is what I do with a lot of my clients in the dating world, is we look at what their intention is to even be on the app. And what I've noticed is some of them just want to intend to communicate stronger because it didn't you know, That's something that they're working on. Some of them want to intend to set more boundaries. Others want to, you know, just be open to meeting different people and being open to love coming in different ways. And those are great intentions. But when you go into it to be like I need to meet my person before July twenty twenty five and that's the only reason I'm here, you are doomed to fail. It's not going to work because whatever intention you put into it is going to you know, be sent back to you, right. Like it's like the law of I think it's the law of mirrors, right where whatever is you're reflecting here, you kind of then get it reflected back at you. So if you're reflecting urgency and you know, I'm this age and I need to meet somebody and this person has to have this much money and they have to be doing this job, and you're putting everything into a box, you're like, you're setting yourself up for suffering. So that would be a huge tip. Is that checking your intention? Why are you on that app? Why are you swiping? You know, be present, be like, take a minute to check in with yourself and don't just open the app and swipe like and not have any you know, actual awareness to what you're doing. Absurd way to meet people. I love them for that, you know, like I think that it's I've seen so many thirty three percent of marriages come from apps that people meeting on dating apps. It's a good percentage of people. I know people that have met on apps that have had successful relationships and have successful marriages. So it's not that that's not a great way to meet somebody. But also be open to dating in person too. Don't rely on the app to do everything for you. So be open to meeting people and telling people that you want to meet somebody. I'd love to be introduced. You know, like a lot of us have a lot of shame about that that I can't say that I want to be introduced, and you know, it doesn't look good if I'm vocal about it. But why why doesn't it look good if it is where you are, own where you are, and show up from.
Speaker 1: That, right, So just watch your rejection of expectations onto people, I guess is what you're saying, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and just whatever we're talking about when it comes to relationships, it actually really much applies to dating as well, because if you are coming from a fear that you're going to get hurt, you are going to attract a partner that hurts you. They will meet you at the same level that's happening inside, right, you're coming from a hear that you're going to experience, you know, betrayal or someone's going to cheat on you. You're likely going to attract a partner that's going to cheat on So you're always a mirror. And if you see this happening repetitive, you notice that you're attracting similar types of people. You need to check that in yourself. Be willing to look inside you and figure out what energy is happening here, what healing needs to be done that you haven't done that is getting you in the same boat, same situation. You know, person after persons, Why after swipe, because then that's a you problem. I hate to say that, but it is.
Speaker 1: People need to hear that because the number one tool that we have in any growth oriented situation is personal responsibility. You can't get away from there, am I correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And we have to learn you know, what part am I playing in the situation? And if I keep getting the same reality shown to me, then why am I not looking within to create change? Why am I scared to look within? You know? And I had to do that in my own dating journey. I was here in Dubai and I just arrived and I'd been through a relationship and it was heartbreak and it was really hard, and I had my walls, like my guard, so far up that nobody could get past that. So I kept meeting partners who either didn't live here or were just not willing to commit. And the moment that I got real with myself and I said, well, what's coming up for you? And I remember I was standing on my balcony. It was November, beautiful weather out here, looking out all the lights in Dubai, and I said, what's going on here? And I said, you're afraid to get hurt because you've been hurt before. So admitting that was a huge thing. I actually think that eighty percent of us dating are afraid to get hurt. I mean it makes sense even a relationship, you could have that fear, right, But if you don't admit what your fear is, whatever it is, you will continue to meet people who actually perpetuate that fear. And so I noticed that, and within a month of noticing that, I actually met my life. It's like all I had to do is be aware of it. That's it. And the minute I was aware of it, the energy shifted for me. So stop pretending that you're not afraid to get hurt, Stop pretending that you're going with the flow, Stop pretending that you don't need a man, Stop pretending that you're independent, and what would a man bring to my life? All of this is very much clouting you ever getting into a healthy relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to cycle back to the whole dating apps thing or apps in general, the internet is assessbol. There's a lot of people out there on the Internet these days that maybe in nineteen ninety two they were somewhere in a basement like ah, you know, like just freaking out or something like. There's a lot of crazies out there. There's a lot of users, abusers, unhealed people that actually have no intention of changing themselves. They're looking for someone that they can control, manipulate, et cetera, et cetera. So that takes us into the territory of red flags and green flags. Right, So, what are some subtle but important red flags that people should watch out for early in a relationship, whether you met them organically or online. And then you can also give me some green flags because I'm saying this because when people come to me for relationship help and they can't find a partner, I usually tell them write a long list, right, like sixty things for starters of values and things that you're looking for any other person, and make sure that you are that first. Otherwise you're just attracting garbage and you don't know why you're attracting garbage. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the long mirrors, right, That's exactly what it says, you attract ads to what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's go through some red flags and green flags.
Speaker 2: I literally have a dating checklist that I have on my website and then who One can download and it helps you catch all these things. So I can definitely share that with you.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: So a red flag would be if somebody doesn't ask you any questions about yourself, Like they don't ask you questions I don't want to know. You know, you're asking questions, you're getting to know them, and they're not really reciprocating that. That's a red flag. I think in any relationship, that's a red flag. Yeah, somebody you're intimately involved with or even a friend, right, So that would be the first one. A second one is I feel like this is a subtle one. We're especially for the apps where you're constantly chatting, but the person doesn't take initiative or doesn't respond to your initiative to meet up, to actually meet in person, or even to have a phone call like not a text, not a WhatsApp, but an actual phone call, like old school style, you know, in the day. So that would be important too, Like are you guys just chatting for a month? Is that what's happening here? Or is there some sort of you know, movement forward, because if there's no movement forward, this is likely a sinking ship anywhay. And so they, you know, are they making the effort? Are you making the effort? Of course, you know, checking in with the right questions that I find a lot of people will say, oh, well, are you looking for a relationship? And people will say, yes, I am, But then that doesn't always mean it's true. So I think that question doesn't hold as much as it used to hold, you know, maybe back even before ask so I would get serious and ask them like, well, what did you learn about If you're already at that stage of talking and you've been talking a while, what did you learn from your last relationship? What did you learn about yourself, about your partner, about what kind of partner you are, right, what is the challenge that you've been through that you overcame? Like, are they willing to get vulnerable with you? Are they willing to share a part of their story or part of their life? And you will always see if someone is willing to share it or if we're going to just you know, dodge that question and go it right somewhere else. Additionally, what I love to say to women is, and this really helps you when it comes to the possibility attracting a narcissist, is if you notice that somebody is being a little pushy, or they say something that doesn't feel good for you, or they make reference to wanting to see a picture of you or sexual references or whatever it is, set a boundary. You do not need to please this person you just met a minute ago or five days ago. Set a boundary, and if they respect your boundary, that's a green flag. But if they don't, that's a And that's how you can avoid dating a narcissism, because a narciss will unlikely ever you're Another concept that comes up is someone who comes on too strong, so that can be a bit of a red flag as well, Like making plans to go on a trip, hasn't known you that long. They call it love bombing, right, or like you know, sending you numerous gifts, or just like calling you fifty times a day. I mean maybe not fifty, but even five times a day. That is a red flag, right, Somebody who's like racing down the pace and giving you everything you want to hear and telling you everything that is like a dream. It's likely a dream, it's not the reality. So I hope that's helpful.
Speaker 1: I would add to that list, like anybody that just starts sending you nudes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we don't see that too much out here, but yeah, I can imagine and that in other places that would be a huge red FuG Well.
Speaker 1: I won't go into why I said that, but I know for a fact that that's happening, especially among teenagers a lot in North American schools and stuff. They're just jumping right from hello to sending nudes and stuff. And then the kid, believe it or not, like sixteen seventeen years old, turns out to be a narcissist and nut job, a crazy stalker.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Nudes get released all over the school and when they don't get their way and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do believe it because narcissism would start in you know, your childhood, we like you would, you would be exposed to one already and that's how you've found the behavior. Yeah, well any others, like I've got a few different ones here. Just check that the person is consistent with you. That's a green flag. Are they consistently messaging? Are they consistently taking action to want to connect with you? Or are they hot and cold? Do they come and go? Do they make excuses like I was so busy or you know, I had so much going on. I personally, I think if you like somebody, you show up. You don't have excuses. You can have a busy day, of course, but you show up. You don't take five six days where you don't talk to the person and then you've probably heard like you know, do the words meet the actions? If they say that they'd like to go on a date, or have they asked? Have they planned to something? Is something occurring? And for women, I you know, I find that women and I think it's important to stay in your feminine energy. But I also believe that if you want to take an approach of like asking someone to do something like, don't be scared if intuitively, if it's coming up for you, if you find intuitively that you want to be like, Okay, I'm free on Friday or I'm free this weekend, let's hang out. That's okay for you to take that first step, as long as they meet you on the other side, and it's not always you taking that step.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, so let's fast forward here, you found somebody, everything is going good. How do couples maintain intimacy and excitement over a long period of time, especially after that honeymoon phase comes to an end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so I've personally seen my marriage go from a passionate one to a sex list one. So in terms of like, you know, physical intimacy, that was really hard to see because everything was there in the beginning and we're seventeen years in now, right, so a lot of like the stigma is like, oh, well, you know, of course that's fade over time. But now that we're back to a passionately, you know, intimate relationship, I don't believe that. I believe that it's important to always advocate for what intimacy means to you. The intimacy can come up physically, it can come up emotionally, mentally, whatever it is. But if you feel that you need intimacy to you, is a quality conversation like the one you were saying that you have with your wife before your partner, before bed, right, that's a quality conversation that you have together that is intimacy. And if that matters to you, then make sure you're doing it. Make sure you guys are committed to For us, it's just Monday nights. For you guys, it's every night. Right, Make sure you stay committed and consistent with one thing in your relationship and try to do something together, like whether it's you know, I don't know, going to a bookstore, reading the same book or whatever it is, like, try to have something in common that keeps the relationship having in you know, new things to talk about.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that would be another thing that I think is really important when it comes to emotional intimacy. Knowing that if you're feeling distant from your partner and you want to avoid it, and you want to distract yourself and you want to pretend you're okay. I will circle back to what I said in the beginning, you are better off saying what you feel versus avoiding your feeling, Like, don't pretend you're fine when you're hurting, even in your relationship, right, And I've done this so much so I'm someone who can tell you how many times I pretended I was fine, which was self sabotage, versus actually admitting that I was disappointed, I was hurt. And when you go into that, you know, it's not like you're looking for someone to fix the situation, but you just You're allowed to be hurt. You're allowed to say what you feel without getting a solution to the problem, and it's important to advocate that. Another thing I would say is that when we go into a relationship, we look for our partners to meet all of our emotional needs. So we have four psychological emotional needs, the need for connection, the need for acknowledgment, the need for sovereignty, and the need for pleasure. Your partner cannot meet all of your needs if you do not meet your own, that will never happen. And so we go into relationship believing that our partner has to be the one to give us all of that, and it is going to leave you very disappointed, because no human can give you all of that and also take care of themselves. So what I like to remind people in new relationships and relationships that are ongoing is that you've got to learn to meet your own needs. Meet your own needs for connection. What are you doing to connect with yourself? Daid? How are you checking it for yourself? What are you acknowledging about yourself? Like if I'm waiting for my partner to tell me he's proud about something I did, I liked it a lot with the kids that day, and I just want him to say, well, maybe did such a good job. Why am I not telling myself that? Why am I not acknowledged acknowledging myself for how what a great effort I put in taking care of for this today? So acknowledge yourself. Do not wait for your partner to only do it now. This doesn't mean your partner doesn't do it, but it's sort of like you got to fill your cop up before you can you know, expect anything from anyone else. And if you go to your partner with your cup completely empty, you even if he fills it up or she fills it up, it's never going to feel enough because you're going there empty, it's always going to feel like you need more, right and so a need for meeting acknowledgment is to say what you're proud of about yourself, what you appreciate about yourself, Acknowledge if you're having a hard day. A lot of us just judge ourselves for having a hard day and we try to dismiss it. If you're having a hard day. I'm having a hard day. This feels really tough. I don't know what's going on, but I'm struggling to It's okay to struggle. I'm allowed to struggle today. I don't have to change it. Just meet yourself where you're at. Allow whatever is existing to exist, because when you do, it actually simmers. It doesn't escalate. If you distract and you push it away, it comes forward and it keeps knocking on the door, like you know, a very eager child who wants to get candy and Halloween or something like that. So we can't, you know, we think that our partner needs to meet these needs, and I'm not saying that they don't, but we first have to be the one to meet them. Like tomorrow, I know I need to meet the need for a sovereign day. So what I've done is I've set a boundary. I've told my partner that I'm not able to pick up the kids tomorrow from school. I'm leaving at twelve after I finish work. I'm going to my favorite place, the beach, and I'm going to go swimming, and I'm going to be back at nine at night. I don't know what I'm going to do between twelve and nine, but I'm going to have a day or half a day that I meet my need for sovereignty, and I'm going to feel free, and I'm going to have no like restriction on, you know, having to do this for this person or that. And he totally respects that, and he's meeting me halfway and he's going to take on the responsibilities of the rest of the day. I'm going to enjoy myself, and I think I'm going to come back. I know I'm going to come back so much more available for all all the men in my life, my partner and my little men as well, because I did that so to meet your need. No one's going to do that for you. Nobody is going to do that for you. Nobody's going to save you from them. And the last one is pleasure. So how do you pleasure yourself? Right? So do you like If you like a coffee, that could be a nice pleasure, a nice tea, or maybe you I love a walk. A walk is always pleasurable for me, being in nature, listening to the birds, being by the trees, a swim. So, however pleasure looks like in your life, it could be listening to some you know, very soothing classical music as you do a puzzle. I mean, whatever it is, right, meet that need for yourself, don't wait for your partner to meet it. I know I've gone on about the same thing, but it's so important.
Speaker 1: No, that's really important because there's this toxic idea in society that gets pushed by TV and romance novels and stuff where it's like our relationships fifty to fifty and each person gives their half, But it's not really that. It's each person brings their one hundred percent to the table and they're stable, and they feel healthy, and they feel joyful and their mind is ready to go and tackle the day together. Because, like you've said, you still have your own journeys and things that you may need to do stuff on your own, and if you are co dependent on a person, that can lead to trouble as well.
Speaker 2: I'm like, correct, I mean I was, so I know exactly that you're not with mine. You know, I have a sole wound of abandonment not come into this life, and I've decided to heal this wound. And I get why I'm doing it, but it has been something that comes up recurring in my life and I see it, you know, I see it through codependency, through always like taking on other people's emotions, right, and being like the savior and the fixture. So you have to watch these behaviors in yourself, and the more that you can become aware of your behaviors, like, the less you're going to engage in. It's a practice, right, it's practice to be like, oh, I'm victimizing right there, or I am trying to fix the situation, or I am making my poor me mentality, or I'm taking on someone's emotions, like you have to be aware of where you are coming from your wound and where you're like participating, perpetuating and making your life harder, like you're creating your own suffering.
Speaker 1: All right. So in my relationship. We kind of laugh at it because it doesn't work for us. The idea of love language is we, personally, for the two of us, we think it's garbage. If it works for other people, we think that's great. But we don't really have love languages. We just constantly show up for each other as much as we possibly can. We don't even think about it. You don't try to anticipate anything, or call anybody, or try to cater to anybody's needs. We just talked straight, right, So I get that that doesn't work for us, but for others. How can understanding the concept of a love language improve the relationship? Right now? How would you recommend then that within the context of a couple you can navigate those differences.
Speaker 2: I think that you're seeking from your partner what you didn't get from your parents when it comes to a loved one. So if you didn't get words of affirmation, you're hoping that your partner will fill that cup for you. And again I would circle back to you got to fill it for yourself first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why for us we just think it's garbage because we both grew up in environments. Her father died when she was young, her mother didn't really care very much. So by the time, you know, we were both seventeen, we were out into the world, just living life for ourselves, getting her learning things. We had to validate ourselves at every step, is what I'm saying. So by the time we got together, we'd already been valid you know, we already had our card stamped and approved. We were ready to go, right, So we weren't looking for that mommy daddy connection from anybody else. We already figured it out, you know. So yeah, in agreeance with you. If that's where you're at, you know, you have to be conscious of those things, and there is a life where you know, you can expect that you don't have those challenges anymore. It just takes practice, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it is it's just practice. It's you know, it's understanding that we're all going to have days. You know, we're all going to sometimes need to be able to feel supported, and that's totally normal. But like, if that's what you need, Okay, this is a good example. I remember when I had been going through, like, you know, my journey and stuff, and I had been appreciating myself for quite some time, but I was like, I wonder if my partner is going to appreciate good thing, is it going to happen? Like I wasn't counting on it, but I was just curious. I was sort of like testing a couple of methods out in terms of, you know, the work that I do and like, okay, you know, if I'm appreciating myself and I'm really working on that, is he going to do it? And sometimes I think it's just going to the person saying Babe, you know, i'd really love for you to just appreciate one thing about lets your ego gode, dissolve your ego for one second, and if you really need something, just to be honest about it. You know, if you really need to be acknowledged for something, or you really need to be appreciated, or you really want to hug, just ask. We get so stuck in the ego, like I don't want to do I'm not going to appreciate. I'm not going to ask him to do that for me or ask her to do that for me. If they can't figure it out. Again, they're not a mind reader. They're not going to figure it out, and you're setting your relationship up for a failure. If you keep waiting for that person to figure it out, so as your ego dissolves and it stops fighting, you know that story of what that person needs to do for you or how they must show up for you. Could you just simply tell them what you need and could they just like in a nice way, not in a you know, you didn't do this, and not in a planning and putting them down we're criticizing them way that Like, you know, I'm kind of having a really hard time today and it would really help me if you just appreciated one thing about and that person when you say it that way, like they're all going to be on board. You know, Oh that's a simple thing to do. Like, you know, I really appreciate you know how hard you've been working to plan the strip to Thailand. Like whatever it is, right, they're going to be on board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give each other a love to would be something I would add to that and let the other person receive it, or you know, if you're the one that needs to receive it, just take the hug man. Don't be like because there are just a lot of couples where people are like, ah, I helged my partner and they asked me what was wrong because I hugged them. You know, don't be like that. Just take the hug man, yeah, exactly, or take the compliment or something. Just don't don't block it. Don't throw up any walls for any reason, because sometimes you're not even throwing up walls because you mean to you just you're doing something and your partner comes up behind you and hugs you, for example, and you're like, what do you want? You know, like, that's not a good attitude to have, right, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I think my partner does that to me all the time because it's also you know, where did you come from? What is that? But yeah, I think be open to expressing, you know, expressing through your body, expressing through your words, expressing what's coming up for you, and quit believing that someone knows what you're going through, even if that person who's known you seventeen they don't. Right, we don't have to suffer in silence. So if if something's coming up, say it, because if you don't, you build resentment, and resentment is the killer of all relationships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let me solve disclose for a little bit. When I was three, I was engaged to be married. My fiance broke up with me via text message, and all she said is that it's the little things that add up that broke my heart. Floored me. But eventually I got to a point where I was like, Okay, she's just a miserable ass and she doesn't actually like herself very much, but I have to fix me. So I stayed single for six years and went on a radical journey of personal growth to try to figure out how to heal and to make sure that I never was the person that I was when all those things that I allegedly did that I don't have any proof that I did, but I still took responsibility for them anyway happened. Does that make sense to you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I absolutly brave that she looked within.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was like, you know what, it doesn't make any sense trying to figure out because when somebody tells you something like that, it's obvious they don't want to talk to you, they don't want to see you, so they're not going to give you any closure or clarity as to how you can improve yourself. Those chances are they probably don't even know either. They're reactive, they're probably judging you all these different things. Right, So there's a lot of really bad breakups that happen out there. Let's talk about healing after heartbreak. So for anybody who's gone through a painful breakup, what's the first thing that they should do to begin healing so they can move forward?
Speaker 2: Okay, that is such a good question. I actually have a client that just messaged me last week and she was like, why why didn't you choose me? Why didn't it go forward? Why did he just ghost me and not talk to me? Because I feel like people also get heartbreak when they're ghosted and hasn't even been that long, but it just hurts like it's rejection, right, And she was looking for the answer, like you said, for why why? Why? And so the first thing that I would say is to just meet yourself where you're at. You need to give yourself so much compassion, give yourself compassion and feel the hurt. Feel it. So this is how I feel an emotion, any emotion. I sit with it for ninety seconds, I put a timer on and I feel it as sensation in and it is like a wave that comes to the scene and it goes. It'll come in a really big sensation. It can be in your heart, your belly, your shoulders, whatever it is. This is what I also use with my clearing the Fears of conscious reprogramming method. You feel the emotion and it'll come in the biggest intensity, but it will always break. Just like a wave reaches the shore and it breaks at the shoreline, that emotion will always break. So allow yourself to feel it, because it's so easy to distract yourself. It's so easy to get caught up in talking about the person and focusing on what they did wrong, and as asking the why questions, which I'm not saying are not going to happen. Been like, we're all human and you're allowed to have periods where you ask those why questions, but know that all those whys are almost just a layer covering up what you're not willing to feel. And if you were to just sit with your hurt, which is so foreign to so many of us because we are not taught this. And this is what I'm teaching my sons to do right now. I'm teaching them this so they don't have to learn it when they're adults like I did. And so I'm really proud of that I'm doing with them, and so feel what you're feeling. If it's anger, feel it like, take a pillow, slam it to the floor, get it out of your body. Let that anger move through you. If it is sadness, of course, you know, let yourself cry, let yourself be upset, and stop questioning why you're so hurt. If you only knew the person for three weeks or one month or six months, you're hurt. Because you're hurt. You don't have to question how long you knew that person for it to equate to your heartbreaking less or more than what it is. Meet yourself where you're at, because likely your heartbreak is already triggering an open mound from your past experiences anyway, And that's why it feels so.
Speaker 1: Hard, right And the example that I gave you from my own life, I think what I realized at that time, it was hard because that was the first time that I had more or less been told that even though deep inside I know that I'm a good person. And then I did the best that I could, I still wasn't perfect and that life wasn't perfect. And it hit me like a ton of breaks.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And like we can put a lot of like you know, blame on ourselves as well. And we can blame ourselves for not showing up the way that you know could. We can look for reasons why it didn't work out, what we did wrong. Like, you can go down so many rabbit holes and heartbreak and it is so toxic. So you have to watch your mindset. You really have to watch your mindset. That's for coaching is good, right, because you can look at your mindset and your feelings, watch your mindset and feel wherever you're feeling, and allow yourself to be where you're at, regardless of the duration of the experience, regardless of what you did or what they did. It is what it is in terms of what's coming up for you. So be that person who's willing to sit with you and deal with you. Be that person for yourself, right, and like try your best to Like I know it's hard not to talk about it to other people, but I feel like then you just kind of get stuck in that energy as well, of like people kind of perpetuating your story to you and getting stuck in a cycle of like, yeah, he's such a this so she said to that, you know, like kind of riling you up to stay stuck. And notice that if you are willing to feel whatever you're feeling, you will always come out a stronger version of yourself, a more aware version of yourself, and you'll always feel lighter. Always.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just name it and shame it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: What about the single folks out there? I personally know a lot that are struggling with being single. They feel as though they're at a certain age and they want to settle down in all these stories that they tell themselves. And you know, we live in a world that celebrates being in a couple. It's glamorized. If you know, you found your high school love and you've got the perfect relationship. All this stuff that really just is not the reality. What advice do you have for someone who is learning to enjoy their single life and maybe they want to continue to grow as a person, I should say.
Speaker 2: So, there's so many different ways, right, like of how you can be single again or have been it for a while. I hear on a superficial level things like I'm focusing on myself, and then it's like, how are you focusing on yourself? Okay, so there's I'm doing my nails, I'm going from massage as I'm traveling, like all that sort of superficial stuff at the top. So I think in order to enjoy it, that's one part of it of focusing on yourself, putting yourself worst, you know, wherever you can. But I would go back to the emotional needs. I would go back to learning to meet your emotional needs when you're single, whether it's that you came out of a relationship or you are just learning about this, like really learning to connect with yourself, check in with yourself, to notice what helps you feel sovereign, to pleasure yourself with whatever helps you feel pleasure right, and to acknowledge yourself, to acknowledge when there are hard days and you're believing that leve will never happen for you, or to acknowledge when you're feeling lonely you're alone, or to acknowledge when you're actually quite joyful for not having a partner in your life that's okay too. So I would go back to that for everybody, whether you're in a relationship, whether you are single, whether you're dating. I think it's a common thread that can help all of us. Yes, and remembering that it's it's all about phases right and watching yourself again get stuck in the same story. I hear a lot of oh, there's no single you know, there's no single part with men or women in my city. Everyone's taken. That is freaking bullshit. Everybody is not taken. There are people coming out of relationships into relationships, Like you know, there are plenty of people out there. But if you decide that everyone's taken, the universe will show you everyone's taken. It's exactly what you'll get back into. So watch your mindset, you know. Or like there's a lot of like stigma around age too. So if I am forty or forty five or fifty, like, oh my chances for love are gone. Like it's no who said what because we saw this on a TV show or society or a magazine. I mean, you actually have like celebrities that are like well into their fifties and sixties and they're still making connections. So that's actually proof. But it doesn't matter what age you are, that you can find companionship at any age because people are coming in and out of situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And another one that I've seen too that I want to throw in the hat is that I've had clients argue with me that they're too old to have kids. They're like forty, and they're like, oh, I'm a woman, I'm forty, I'm never going to have kids. I'm like, where'd you hear that from? My doctor told me that, Well, get another doctor. Yeah, absolutely, be happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's actually it's not true. So if you do look at like, you actually check into it, you know, I think, I mean a lot of women these days are having kids at forty four, forty five, forty six, forty seven. Like it's all mindset again, right, Like if you put yourself in a box, you'll stay in the box. But what I would tell those people is if you go looking for proof that women are having children over forty, you will find it. And that should be what you're showing your brain. Show your brain proof that it's possible. Ask for it, go look for it, be curious, and once you show your brain enough proof of that, it'll start to actually take on that belief. And again you will notice people telling you stuff. People are always telling you things, and you're absorbing everything that people are saying. You know, be brave enough to be like, I actually am not in alignment with that thought or that you know, opinion of yours right now, or this is my opinion, and so you can leave it at that. You can get caught up in you know, people tell you all stories. So I you know, I tried for years to have a kid and this had happened. Oh, like I was over forty and you know, you can always like it's kind of like when people share their pregnancy stories, like or their birth stories. You don't want to get caught up with that because it's just going to get absorbed into you, like you're sucking in all of that. Right. You got to keep your space clean. You have to keep your you have to protect yourself. You have to have a clear energy around you when it comes to what people are telling you and what you're absorbing from society. Everything that we see.
Speaker 1: It's true. And as a rule of thumb, anytime you believe something too strongly, back from it and try to figure out whether it's just you or if it's the reality. Most of the time you'll find that it's not the reality at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just you.
Speaker 1: M hm. So I want to wrap up here shortly, but I'm going to beg you for a coaching success story. Just share with me a success story where a couple overcame a major hurdle through your coaching.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have a success story for a single woman and a couple. So do you want to vote? Okay? So I actually work with men too. So I was very blessed to work with the wife first and then the husband, and they were going through an avoidant avoidant anxious attachment trauma. Bond gave heard of that. So what I noticed the success story is that they were able to finally, i'm understand each other better, to learn to manage conflict for like once. So they went from very reactive communication to calm and considerate and respectful communication. They went from yelling in their home and passing that cycle onto their kids to not yelling anymore because they looked at themselves, They understood themselves, they did their inner child work, they looked at their patterns, and they learned to communicate in a way that was healthy. So he learned to set boundaries with his partner and stop pleasing, and she learned to stop the conflict, to stop the conflict when she was disregulated, to go meet her needs and get regulated. And so together they have come up stronger for their two young girls and for themselves, and I just feel so honored to have worked with both of them because I also really got to see I didn't work with them together at the same time. I first worked with a woman and then the man. I really got to see just how everybody has a story, Like, regardless of what role you play in your relationship, we all have fears, all have trauma, we all have hard things that we're going through, And if you can do the work to understand yourself, you can then relay that to your partner so much more better and you can have empathy and compassion for their experience, Like, you know, we can get stuck again in a lot of like oh, well, men are like this and women are like that, and we're just people. People are you know, they're going to have hard times. So that was very successful to see them overcome that, and I'm so proud of them. And they were just such fast learners. So I was really lucky actually because I only worked with you know, her partner for three months and her for six months. But they're doing great. I just checked up with them and they said that everything that they're learning, they're practicing. They still have hard moments, but now they have the tools to overcome it. And most importantly, they understand when the partner is triggering them or it's like a past experience or a childhood thing triggering them. And knowing that difference has really helped them as well.
Speaker 1: Cool, very cool.
Speaker 2: And then for the single For the single lady, I worked without here. So she had worked with like four coaches and gone to therapy, and she was looking for a partner in her life and she just kept meeting the wrong people. She kept getting stuck in situationships, people that didn't value her, that were wishy washy, that were not committed, and she was really like hopeless when she came to me. You know, she'd been recommended by another client, so that was probably the reason she came because of that recommendation. But she was very hopeless in love and she didn't think she was ever going to meet anybody. And while we were working together, she came from an abandonment moon, which I understand a lot because I also come from that, so I can deeply resonate with that when I work with people with anxious attachment or abandonment. And as we began to meet. She began to meet herself where she was accept the qualities about her except when she was a little needy, except when she was having a hard time, and she began to be compassionate to herself and go through that healing journey. She met her partner while we were together in the six months coaching container, and she got married a year later and they're doing good. I just checked in with them, and so that was a really powerful story just to see like she was just she just I think she had one really breakthrough session where she realized that everything she was looking for and somebody was not really what she was looking for. What she was looking for was safety, and she created that safety inside her and then she found someone. Okay, that's safety.
Speaker 1: That damn subconscious mind love safety really does. So here's my last question. What's one surprising piece of relationship advice that might seem unconventional but could actually make a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Hmm, okay, that's a good one. A lot going through my mind. I'm going to say repair now, the one I talked about earlier. Don't underestimate the power of owning up to your behavior and empathizing with how that made that person feel in creating reconnection and in saving the relationship, don't underestimate whether it's something that happened years ago or it's something that happened two hours ago. Like I know that I've done a lot of repair with my relationship with my older son because the mother I was to him when he was one to five is not the mother I am. And so the accountability I've taken, the ownership I've taken, and the willingness to repair and to own up for what I did that he might not remember now, but his subconscious mind remembers it one to five years old. That is what I believe will keep our relationship strong and he'll and heal help him feel is because I'm willing to be like when you were this age, I was like that that was not okay, and I'm willing to actually, you know, own up to it. So don't underest to me at all. It is so powerful. You can have a relationship that has been broken, you know, even between a parent and child or any other dynamic for ten years, and then repair comes in and it saves that relationship and it brings it back together.
Speaker 1: Well, that was great, Sasha Quins, Thanks for being on the Boundless Authenticity Podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm gonna have a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're listening to the Boundless Authenticity Podcast where we discuss everything related to the evolution of human consciousness. That's very much.
Speaker 4: Willing to understand that the United States skills bunkers, which areas of stage on your lip every.
Speaker 2: Three much basically in your dream.
Speaker 5: Into your self conscious it is your love and your insolition, your creativity and imagination unchanged from conscious cis and and locate.
Speaker 2: allD real large quote for the soul by.
Speaker 4: How are conscious nu specronology cultus of agarium for your briery. We live in a multi dimensional reality, whether it comes through esetary information in the spiritual realms or the UFO people experiences, or mainstream on the physics and through Natum science and now realizing that parallel dimensions probably exist.
Speaker 2: We're all spiritual means, we're all having these human experience as we've heard that place over and over and over. But what does that really mean? You know, all of the questions of why we have these answers inside of our soul.
Speaker 4: We're ultimately studying the nature of what it is to be human, good and evil, our psychology, how we fitk our health. That's why I love Bruce Lee's great quote, all knowledge is ultimately self knowledge,