Speaker 1: How'd you like to listen to dot net rocks with no ads? Easy? Become a patron for just five dollars a month. You get access to a private RSS feed where all the shows have no ads. Twenty dollars a month, we'll get you that and a special dot net Rocks patron mug. Sign up now at Patreon dot dot NetRocks dot com. Welcome back to dot net Rocks, the Internet audio talkshow for dot net developers. Remember that tagline rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're not clever enough to come up the word podcast, Well we.
Speaker 1: Were two years before that word could have thought of the word yeah. I'm Carl Franklin, and I'm Richard Campbell, Gary You and Park is here with us. We're gonna be talking to him in a minute. But first, Richard, Hello, where the heck are you?
Speaker 2: I am at build stuff in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool? Last week I was in Brisbane, Australia, So I do not know what time it is?
Speaker 1: Your uh? Your wife doesn't like you hanging around the house too long, does she look?
Speaker 2: I'm good for about three weeks, right, and by somewhere else three weeks She's like, don't you have somewhere to go now. No, she was with me in Australia. We did a month in New Zealand, Australia with the new grand baby with a family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. She went from seven months old to eight months old. We're on the road and when we left with her, she could just sit up and she had do a little teth in the bottom. There's cool. And by the end of the month she's got two up and down and she's starting to crawl and she's pulling herself to her feet. Like you forget how fast babies grow. It's done.
Speaker 1: My grand baby is two years old and she's actually visiting right now.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: They came up for Thanksgiving weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm digging this grandparenting thing. Man, this is fun.
Speaker 1: Enough grandparent chit chat. Let's talk about what happened in nineteen eighty because this is episode nineteen eighty twenty more episodes and we've got we're now teenagers. Yes, that's right, thirteen, I think. Yeah, so let's talk about it. Okay, Well, this is the year that pac Man debuted. Yeah you know that. Yeah, and CNN was launched, ye, and that kind of changed everybody's worldview and made it seem like the world was more dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we could cave. Twenty four hour news, right, cable news. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, matter where the bad stuff happens, you'll know about it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Thirteenth Winter Olympics were held in Lake Placid, New York. Oh right, yeah, starting February thirteen. Let's see US grane embargo. On January fourth, Jimmy Carter announced the grain embargo against the USSR. Of course, the Iran hostage crisis read its ugly head. Let's see, there was an new Mexico State penitentiary riot Mount Saint Helen's. Everybody remembers that we had ash all the way over here in Connecticut on our cars from Mount Saint Helen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we heard it up in Vancouver. It was this Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: And that's all I'm gonna say. Because we've been getting some negative feedback show we say about how long it takes to get to our actual show.
Speaker 2: So I'll wrap it up right here. Okay, but you can talk amazing. You didn't mention Lenin was killed in nineteen eighty though.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's right, he was killed in oh Man. That was a hard day.
Speaker 2: It was a bad day.
Speaker 1: That was a bad day. And we don't mean you know lenin the leader. I mean John Lennon, of course, briefly, what you got for science and tech and all that.
Speaker 2: On the space side, this is the year that Vorger one flies by Saturn, first time we get close up pictures of Saturn. This dose also well. The Russians are operating to Salute six space station in orbit and routinely supplying it and maintained it. This is the launch of the Solar Max satellite on Delta two rocket that immediately has attitude control failures after a couple of months of operations and will be repaired by this Space Shuttle challenger in a few years, because the Shuttle is well in development. In fact, Columbia has spent all of nineteen eighty in testing getting ready for its first flight in nineteen eighty one. Wow. On the computing side, this is the year that Jack Tramil unveils the VIC twenty, although it doesn't actually show up in the US until nineteen eighty one. In nineteen eighty it's released to Japan as the VIC one thousand and one with sixty five oh two processor five K of ram Because numbers are hard, although expandable to thirty two k and he also pays it was only about three hundred bucks. They sell two million of the things. It'll get replaced by the CC four course. But one of the key things he did is he got Scott Adams to port the Scott out of Adventures, five of them to the VIC twenty. Now with only five k RAM, there's no way to make those games running there, but the game would sload off a sixteen k ROM cartridge as you played it, so that the sworage was in the wrong cartridge. And they sell it makes one point five million just on those games. Wow. So and it comes to go very very quickly. Nineteen eighty also the year that Tim berners Lee builds a tool called Inquire, which is a network hypertext system. Hmmm yeah, okay, that'll never go anywhere, never go anywhere. Two more things. Seagate releases the ST five six, which is a five megabyte three and a half inch full height hard drive which I will make money from installing into the upcoming IBM PC which will be released next year. And this is also the year that a collaboration between deck Intel and Xerox comes up with the Ethernet Dix standard for ten megabit networking. Wow, this is at a time when every company had their own kind of networking, and so they try and create sentence on this, and so the I triple lee will start what do we know as the eight O two standard four lands. This is the beginning of all of that. And that's what I got.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, awesome, all right, Well let's get going with better no framework, roll the music?
Speaker 2: Awesome? All right, man, what do you got?
Speaker 1: Okay? This is a tool called uni get ui, which was formerly win get ui, and the main goal of the project is created an intuitive guy for the most common CLI package managers for Windows ten and eleven, such as wind get Scoop, Chocolate, pip, NPM, dot Net tool, PowerShell, Gallery, and moore. Check out the package manager compatibility table. So they like to say that it's kind of like a package manager manager package manager.
Speaker 2: It's package manager inception.
Speaker 1: But I thought that would be good because you know, mister Chocolady is here and yeah, it's kind of and it's kind of trending on GitHub right now. So kids met cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knew.
Speaker 1: I don't find a need for this myself, but you know.
Speaker 2: How many How often are you building machines?
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, but there's a little but you know, there's package managers for NPM and and all of that stuff as well PowerShell galleries. Yeah, it goes beyond just you know, chocolatey and Windows. Anyway, that's what I got. Who's talking to us today, Richard.
Speaker 2: Grabbing comment off show eighteen fifty nine when we did with one Gary, you and Park back in twenty twenty three talking about it. Oddly enough, chocolatey hey, and this common comes to us from Curtis who this is about a year ago, where he said, I'm maintaining most chocolate packages fairly easily. I spent about an hour a month managing patches that update the using the au tool, which is on the GitHub repository by Digital Coyote. The manual packages in that repo are is can really more time intensive though multipass, for instance cars booting up a Windows pro or enterprise system to build tests and deploy that package. On the note of using older dot net frameworks, it's one of the things we talked about back that show. I've seen time and again someone go into a new project to choose dot net four six two because quote it's stable, or quote we know it works. As recently as mid twenty twenty three, I see the same choices in new get packages as well, where a team will choose to stick with the deprecated version of a package because it's known to work. Upgraded projects to each LTS release since dot net core two point one without issues. That includes upgrading most dependencies on each release pretty through the release notes and weighing the risk benefit will almost always cause you to upgrade. The security fixes alone are usually worth any breaking changes in your app. Absolutely, that's good advice, Curtis. I'm not gonna argue a bit. Absolutely, you know it's worth getting moving on. And the new tools for actually checking compatibility guiding off four to six up to what it is now dot net ten, which is the latest LTS release, they're impressively good. They will not only tell you where you're gonna have problems, they will give you good instructions on what to do about it. Yep. So, with the exception of web forms and other obviously non ports, if you you a lot of apps apportable, even the wind forms from the win SDK really not really a breaking change anymore. They've done a pretty good job there, So Curtis, thank you so much your comment, and a copy of music cobuy is on its way to you. And if you'd like a copy of music, go buy. I write a cam on the website at dot net rocks dot com or on the facebooks. You publish every show there and if you comment there and I read in the show, will send you copy music Go buy.
Speaker 1: Music to Code by track twenty three is halfway done. Nice, so I expect that to be published within the next couple of weeks, maybe by Christmas, because why wouldn't you get your favorite friends music to code buy for That's a great idea. Yeah. And also you mentioned web forms, the thing that just didn't move over to core, right, yep, this is this is the main focus of my consultancy now is doing dot net core you know, Blazer versions of old web forms apps.
Speaker 2: Web forms apps. Yeah, I figured that'd be a path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And it's not that automatic either, is it like it's worked? No, you don't know, I mean, but it's good to do a rethink Jeff Fritz. Actually Fritz and friends had a library that had the same interfaces as the web forms things. But you end up with a lot of code that isn't modern and all that stuff. But yeah, yeah, the best thing to do is just start over use your business logic. Well, you have a template for what people want, you know that, but you also have a list of things that people are annoyed by. Yeah, so it's a great opportunity to rebuild and something makes them happier.
Speaker 1: Yep, Okay, let's introduce Gary and bring them back on the show. Gary Ewan Park has over ten years experience, probably more like twelve thirteen fifteen now right, working as a developer on technologies such as ASPNAT, Windows Forms, WPF, Sharepoints, silver Light, and many others. Throughout his career, Gary has always looked to see how things can be automated, using the mantra that if you do the same thing more than twice, it's time for automation. In twenty seventeen, he was awarded a Microsoft MVP in Developer Technologies, and in twenty twenty one he was awarded a getthub Star. His day job has him working for Chocolatey Software Incorporated. In his spare time, Gary contributes a number of open source projects, including Chocolatey box Starter, cake Cake contrib, get version and get release manager.
Speaker 2: So enough, there's a scene to those projects. There's scenes. Hmmm, yeah, there seems to be a theme there, Gary, that's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a long sorted history that's put it out.
Speaker 1: Here, and we're funny, grateful.
Speaker 2: We just had Mattias on talking about Cake as well, you know, like it's these are things that are part of our lives. I don't even think about him anymore. You just did the way that you build machines, the way that you deploy applications, it's stuff you got to do, right. This is the plumbing of software.
Speaker 1: I first heard about Chocolate from Alan Stevens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: He was gung ho on it. He was really ahead of his time in terms of, you know, embracing new technologies when it came out, and probably still is. I haven't talked to.
Speaker 2: Him in a while, but yeah, been Well, so what have you been working on?
Speaker 1: Friend?
Speaker 3: We continue to be busy over here, to be honest, I mean we are. We're obviously we're a small team Chocolate, but we have been increasing our numbers Chocolate, and the requests keep coming in in terms of what people are looking for, So we are we are definitely kept busy. Literally yesterday or yesterday, I'm into today. We've just shipped new versions of four of our core products. So wow, yeah, no, we're busy. We're absolutely making progress.
Speaker 1: Before you go on, we should probably define with chocolate as I know that everybody probably knows, but there might be a few people out there who are like, what, so chocolate is like new Get for Windows, right, if you think about it, that's way new Get chocolate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, absolutely, that's yeah, yep, that's where it started. I mean Rob Reynolds, the original creator of Chocolatey, was very much making use of new Get to manage his project dependency, so you can actually install the libraries that you need for under coding against. But what he found was, and this is the story he'll tell the story himself, but he would go to his a friend's machine or a colleagues machine to help him do a pairing session, and the tools that he wanted weren't on that machine. So he wanted a simple way to get the tools that he wanted onto that machine so that he could aid with painting sessions. And he was using new Get and he looked at them board and said, well, if I can use new get to install libraries, then maybe I can use new get to install applications. So he took he started a project which Chocolate as a package manager. Originally started as a PowerShell project, so it was written in PowerShell scripted and PowerShell. The sole focus was to use the new get client libraries to install applications. And then as the project progressed, it morphed into a dot Net application and c sharp and it's been that way for quite a while now, and it continues to be a mechanism for installing applications onto your machine in a simple, maintainable and repeatable way. So that's kind of the aim of what Chocolate is. It's a Windows package manager.
Speaker 2: Now there is a bunch of these. I mean, I don't put new Getting Chocolate in the same category, but I think wind get sits there certainly, Like how do you rationalize all of these? Geary?
Speaker 3: So what it comes down to, and I've spoken to a few people at different conferences and et cetera about this. It comes down to it. It's choice. It's what is it you want to what is it you want to use, and how do you want to use it? So people quite often hear people say, oh, the Windows doesn't have a package package package management ecosystem. You look at Linux where they've got four or five six different package managers for installing things. But on the Windows side of the house, where we're getting to a point where we have quite a selection now. So there's chocolate E, there's wind Get that you spoke about, there's scoop, there's other alternatives that you can use to install tools nowadays, and there's things like dot Net Global tools that the kind of that's kind of changed the landscape in terms of how you get tools into your Windows machine or into your cic D pipeline, so you can use dot Net tool install now as well. So that's list. There is a plethora of options in the Windows ecosystem now for doing application management and we Chocolate are one of those, and we're aiming to make the one the Windows installation ecosystem as simple as possible, because it literally is. When you start digging into the differences between ms I installers and n s I, n s I S installers and ex s's a there's a multitude of them. So what we Chocolate are trying to do is make that landscape easier to maintain.
Speaker 1: So you're mentioning some updates that you were that you're coming out with or having that with yep.
Speaker 3: So the team shipped new product versions of so chocolate as a product has Chocolate ECLI. That's the one that most people might know about. It's the open source version of chocolate and people can download install that freely. Even in a commercial ecosystem, you can use Chocolate Cli. But we've also got other products that the commercial offerings that build on top of the Chocolate Cli. So there's new releases to the Chocolate License Extension, a system that we call Chocolate Agent, and also the Chocolate Gouy License Extension. So there was updates to four of our coreate going out the door yesterday and today.
Speaker 1: Did you really just say chocolately and Guy in the same sense I did?
Speaker 3: I did. So Chocolate Gouey is our offering for using chocolate but through a graphical user interface to Guy.
Speaker 1: Similar to framework there correct.
Speaker 3: So similar to win get UI. So Chocolate Gouey offers support for trust the Chocolate package manager, whereas what wouldn't get Ui is attempting to solve is as you mentioned, is the package manager managers. You know, the UI version of the package manager manager. So you might remember there was a system called one get which was a PowerShell version of a package manager manager, so it was driven from the command line, and when UI kind of sits above that obviously but allows the management of multiple package managers on Windows. So actually, I've been in I've had a longgoing issue with the maintainer of will get UI to try and improve the traffic support and UNI get UI. So it's a it's a great offering and we've actually I've tried to have that conversation with him to improve that support. But yeah, it's been working well.
Speaker 1: So I wonder when it's going to be before we find package manager manager managers.
Speaker 3: It's good maybe hopefully, hopefully I will be happily retired before that, but before that comes about get to.
Speaker 2: The third order. This is exactly this.
Speaker 1: It's sort of the reflects the corporate order of things, doesn't it. Yeah, it's not a good thing. I think it's too much, too much. Can we all just get along really nice?
Speaker 2: Indeed, are you finding folks using chocolate for setting up vms in the cloud these days as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's definitely that's definitely a use case that we have heard of. Yes, there's it's the same with whether it's a physical machine, whether it's a VM, whether it's something else. There's always any to install the applications that you need. And obviously the first approach that you might use is to download it from the website, double click on a click, click a click through the installers. But it gets to the point where that's if you're doing that over and over and over again, you're you're looking for a way to automate that process and trying to take that try to make that entry point that bit easier by a single command to get all that applications installed. That's the niche that Chocolate is trying to serve. So, whether it's a physical device on your locally, whether it's in the cloud, that are mechanisms to install and use Chocolate. And then the natural progression of that is within a CICD pipeline as part of your build, you might need an application installed in order to perform the build. So whether it's a tool, whether it's something like get Version, whether it's something like get the lease Manager, you need that on the host agent in order to perform the build. If you look at the build agent that comes from Have Actions, Chocolate is already on the box. So if you need to perform an installation of an application as part of your build, you can just add a new step to your workflow, which is Choco install whatever the application is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, so I could see this from the from an ARM template point of view saying Okay, I need to stand up this particular instance of a VM. I want this SOS on it, and then once that's in place, now I go into a get have actions they poke to this, do your Choco installs start? To me, it's all about repeatability, right like that, So every time I call this that VM is exactly correct.
Speaker 3: So whether I say whether it's an ARM template or whether it's something else. Like even Cody and our team just now is looking to change our Packer builds to regenerate some based golden images that we use, So Chocolate is involved in that workflow as well. Packer defines what needs to be installed and we use chocolate to perform those actions. So that's definitely another mech and that we can go through.
Speaker 1: If you have an exc that you want to always install in your Windows machine that only has a gooey installer. In other words, there is now command line switches or anything like that. Is that throw a roadblock up for Chocolate?
Speaker 3: So yes and no, this is one of the what I mentioned before that the Windows installer landscape is vast. What you've described is just one of those. So the creator of that installer, that native installer, hasn't included the command line switches. So there is an immediate roadblock because essentially, what Chocolate is trying to do is it's trying to call out to just the ex to perform the installation. So if it can't toggle the command line switches, then there is a problem there. So what most package maintainers do in that scenario is they will introduce something like AutoIt or auto hockey. So they will have created an auto hockey script. So for those who don't know, hockey is essentially looking for triggers the Windows ecosystem. So whether it's a form opening or whether it's a button becoming visible, they will have created an auto hock key script that will then do the action of clicking the buttons on that native installer. So what the Chocolity package then looks like is the Chocolate package takes a dependency on auto hockey. So when Chocolatey comes along to install the first package, it needs to install the dependency, which is all Hockey. The script then says, run the auto hoockkey script and look for these Windows triggers, and then it performs the installation of your native installer. Auto hoot key kicks in, it clicks all the buttons, and then the application is then installed and the package is successfully installed after that. So there is a mechanism to do it. But where we get complaints source concerns is oh, where did this auto hoot key come from on my machine? So then we kind of have to explain that, Well, the native installer didn't handle a clean installation or a clean unattended installation, so you need to introduce something like a hockey to perform that operation.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of when we used to do this crazy show called Monday's and Mark Miller introduced his new invention which was called the installed buddy. Okay, so basic next next finished is in the days where everything was a Windows installation and it would just click next, next, next, next, next, next, next, finish for you installed buddy.
Speaker 2: It turns out it's a real thing. It's called auto hot key. That's funny.
Speaker 3: It is the system is there. I mean it's it's a viable solution for the underlying problem, which is the native installer didn't have those plan line switches to make it an unattended installation.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I imagine it's a little brittle if they've changed it install steps well absolutely, yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: What we do so as part of the so for those who don't know, we have a Trotholate community repository, which is where we host all of the Tropolic packages that the community maintains. One of the things that we do as part of that is the moderation process is we will and the cloud will spin up a VM to perform the installation to ensure that it actually installs correctly. So if something were to change and the autohockey script stopped working, then package verifier existing, which is when we run through and check to make sure that things are still installing correctly. It might ultimately fail and send a message to the maintainer to say that there's a problem. Those processes in place to help with that.
Speaker 1: This might be a good application of some sort of AI thing that you know, can analyze the screen image of you know the installer and figure out and you can just tell it just you know, take select all the defaults and it would do that. I don't know, just thinking out loud, it'll be fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Well, I keep thinking about like Microsoft has the form recognizer, we will take pay per forms and generate them into code for you. Like we're just not that far away from saying, hey, just look at this dialogue and figure out what should happen next. Yeah. Really, you really could deeply automate that. So of course, if they the better thing is just give us the command line yes please, yes, please. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the for us from a package manager perspective, that's the ultimate, because then that is what is No one is repeatable, and it will continue to function the way that we expect it to unless that a breaking change in the installer or they switch installer technology, because that sometimes happens as well. An application might the underlying application doesn't change, but they might switch from a YSE installer to an MSI or something changes in the native installer. So that's where the package maintainer and the knowledge of what is possible, that's where the package maintainer's job really kicks in to help with keeping those packages install on correctly nice.
Speaker 1: Are there any other sort of gotcha's or roadblocks besides the the UI only installer that you guys deal with gracefully.
Speaker 3: So the one of the one of the hiccups that sometimes have happened from a package maintenance point of view, and it does cause problems for the package maintainers is knowing what those silent arguments are. So again it comes back to what is the underlying installer technology, because there is a standard set. If you like, it's if it's an MSI installer, these are the command line arguments, or if it's this install technology is these command line arguments or MSIs are actually sometimes better because they'll actually declare within their manifest file these are the available command line arguments, so you can pick which one you want to pass in. So when you first get started with package maint and then it's like, oh, I just want to install this thing, but then you kind of have to dig into that thing to understand how to manage it and how to install it. So one of the things that we do try to do and we provide this at the minute and one of some of the commercial offerings is we have a packaged builder, as we call it, so it will actually look at the underlying installer technology and make informed decisions about these are the sensible defaults for this application type. So it's one of the it's one of the features that we have been pushing within the team to if we can bring it down to some of the lower versions of Trocolate to make that package maintenance story a bit easier. Something we'd like to have for now that is a commercial only offering that we provide that sort of installer detection logic and helping with the provisioning of look packages.
Speaker 1: All right, go one more question before we take a break here, and that is you know, sometimes we're installing something and you need administrator approval, and so your whole screen goes away and you get this dialogue box that can't be automated. As far as I know, you have to click the yes I approve button. Do you get around on that by like just running the install scripts in admin mode for example? I don't even know if that is enough to get rid of that.
Speaker 3: From what you've described as one of the kind of the fundamental principles of how Chocolate operates. So I know that richer ops. That's going to go on when I start saying this, but I'm already quivering. Bear with me, doing a little bit right, Bear with me. So, Chocolate as a product by default does require to be installed by an administrator user, and it's installed to the c program data folder with those administrative permissions, and as a result, Chocolate Chocolate ex when it runs, needs to be running as administrator because at the end of the day, most applications, the most at least a significant proportion of the applications that you want to install need administrator rights because they might be installing to see program files folder, they might be adding registry entries, they might be lots of stuff that require admin permission. So way back when the decision was made that chocolate as a product would require administrator rights to run, and we have continued with that. Now to answer your next question that might flow on to that as well, how can I get other people within my organization that don't have administrator rights to perform package installations. That's where some of our other products, the likes of background Service kicks in. So that's a mechanism where we allow for a non administrator user to essentially request the installation of a package, and that package installation is performed by the background service that has those administrator rights. So you're getting almost like a self service scenario where you can say as a company, as an organization, I want to allow the installation of these packages. But then as a user, I can say, well, I want that one and I want that one, and I'll self provision those, so you kind of get the best of both worlds. But yes, it's an age old problem. And the decision that we chocolately made was that we would require administrator rights by default now.
Speaker 1: So when you run under administrator rights, you don't get those.
Speaker 3: Dialogue normal no no, no correct. So you're you're you're circumventing is the wrong word, but you're certainly side stepping the need for the those ucps because you're escalated.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, Now that has its own problems, and that's kind of why I preempted the ops hack going on, because then you're got administrator right, so malicious actors could take advantage of.
Speaker 1: That, exactly.
Speaker 3: So that's there's all sorts of that we get into within the team, within the organization, we get we have lots of conversations along those lines as to whether this is security vulnerabilities, et cetera. So all sorts of conversations have along that.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna we're going to have that conversation after the break carry so we'll be right back after these very important messages stick around. Do you have a complex dot net monolith you'd like to refactor to a micro services architecture? The micro Service Extractor for dot Net tool visualizes your app and helps progressively extract code into micro services. Learn more at aws dot Amazon dot com, slash Modernize.
Speaker 2: And we're back. It's dot net Rocks. Amerger Campbell, Thatt's Carl Franklin. You talking to our friend Gary and Park a bit about the latest on the chocolatey side of things, you know, I mean, you know, I'm the run ass guy as well, and we certainly talk about install hacks like there is.
Speaker 1: Like run as yeah there.
Speaker 2: Well, there are exploiters that are smart enough now that they managed to get into a machine, recognize it, don't leave it a process running that's waiting for escalated privileges to intercept. But there's only so much you can do. I mean, the reality here is we don't want users to be able to install software. So you need to ask privileges to install software. And where you're talking in an enterprise environment. And as much as we talk about granulating privileges for all of that, I know no one I've ever spoken to that's done a large scale package deployment, so multiple apps and so forth, installing where the privileges are actually varying from install to install. They just go super user push everything in, go out like it's just not practical.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I think also the security risk come more from people than they do from the software. I mean, if you've got a good software bill materials and you trust the software that you're installing goes without saying, then the person the admin who writes the script is probably going to be the one that runs it. So it's not like somebody's gonna somebody like Patrick Kins to say, if somebody just offered you a piece of food on the street, here eat this, You're not going to eat it, you know. Yeah, So if somebody says, here, run this script, you'd be a little you should be a little apprehensive about it until you check it out well.
Speaker 2: And more importantly, that's why we don't give you the privileges so that you'll have to ask us about it. We'll say, where did you get that from?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: So exactly purely from a chocolatey point of view and a chocolate ecosystem point of view, the default place to get those packages that Carl's talking about there is the chocolate community repository. So the problem that we have there is that anyone can push to the chocolate community apositry, so there is the potential for there being bad actors in that space. Now we do what we can in terms of moderating those packages and shooting a good package quality, but ultimately there's no guarantee and we don't provide any guarantee that there won't be something nefarious on that website. But that's why we recommend due diligence in terms of again that what you said, you wouldn't run any scripts from the internet, you wouldn't install any package from the internet either. There are a due diligence aspect to that.
Speaker 1: Well, so it depends on the package, right, I mean, if it's version one point oh oh oh of some new thing and nobody's installed it before, I wouldn't install it. You know, you want to wait for there's definitely.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Package is mature and it's been vetted by the community.
Speaker 3: That's true too, yeah, absolutely. But where we're going to go with that is that, in an organizational point of view, we don't recommend the usage of the Chocolate community of positry because it's not something that you as a company would want to make use of. So what we recommend instead is you take the packages that you vetted and you put them into your own internal repository, and that's where you get to your what you describe their car, which was someone's done all the vetting, someone's done all the package installations to make sure that they're valid, and then you offer them up to the internal organization to say, have your pick of these ones. But they don't get to use the community depository.
Speaker 2: And this is the commercial version of Chocolate, right, that's the central management tool and install our controls and all those sorts of things. So for me as an oh, really, that's exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a slight clarification there. So the repository itself so which is not to be confused with a GitHub repository and one FNTO, here is a repository of packages that's not something that we chocolately offer. So we would look to something like a progate or an Nexus or an arch factory to provide the actual.
Speaker 2: The actual package.
Speaker 3: Okay, so those are stored there, and what you're refering to there is the Chocolate Central management. It would build on top of that to allow the deployment of packages to across your suite of computers. But we we at a minute, don't offer a repository solution for packages.
Speaker 2: That's not something. And you also get to the other aspect, which is rarely as an administrator of infrastructure, and do I actually want the latest version of anything? Right? We have an accepted set of versions of Adobe Reader, and those are the ones we're going to install. I don't care if there's new one coming out until it's gone through the process. It's not in the package.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is you've chosen Adobe Reader. Yeah, well fair, real problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know the the when when you get to hundreds of thousands of seeds, you're trying to manage the total landscape of different versions of things. Yeah, sure, and so you get a little more strict and this is the stuff you pay for and why you get paid to do your job. So privileges are one thing, but known versions of another. Because this whole conversation about supply chain attack like this is only getting worse.
Speaker 1: It's serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're definitely besieging open source.
Speaker 3: So on that note that the flip side of that is that there are thads out there that do want the latest and greatest. And what happened the other month was last month when dot Net shipped one of our one of our core community maintainers, Jacob, he went about and set about set created packages for all the new dot Net packages. So whether that's the desktop version, the runtime version, the SDK, he flooded us. He literally flooded us with the dot Net related packages on the community pository. So it's great because we then have all the dot Net ten packages that people can then install. But that's him literally being on the bleeding edge. It was it was announced and he had packages ready to go and ship to the community positors.
Speaker 1: And he said, I'm done then, you know.
Speaker 3: So the great thing about the open source is that the option there and then is that someone could pick those packages up. So all the work that Jacob does, it's all on a gihub repository, all of his packaging scripts, all of his automation to create those packages and keep those packages up today, that's all on GitHub. So if Jacob were to step away, and we've had people step away from the community, that's absolutely something that happens. But what we find is that there's always people that come along and I say I'm interested in maintaining that package and ultimately gets picked up. So Jacob would be sorely missed, let's put it that way, if he were to step away from the community. But for the he's been involved in the all of the dominant packages since I can't even remember when he started, and he's probably been around as long as I have to be honest because his name is so familiar.
Speaker 1: So go Jacob.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, I'm not going to try and pronounce the second name because it's not one that's in my remit, I don't think. But he goes by Jacob, so that's well, I'll stick with.
Speaker 1: Somebody should send him a pizza.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the whole supply chain attack landscape these days? Like do you do you give advice to to developers that are using these tools on? Like what do I got to think about to make sure I'm not a part of a supply chain attack.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's definitely, it is definitely an issue. Is prevalent with an hour, with an hour and ecosystem. It's something we need to be conscious of. And if you are using package management solutions like Chocolate or whether it's something else, just installing the latest and greatest is probably not the best advice. It would be maybe I'd carl kind of hinto that with the first version of that application, Maybe wait that thirty days or something to see whether there's bugs, see whether there's anything with this.
Speaker 2: Is the ITAM mentality. Change is good. You go first, you go exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: A great way of putting it. So it just just to be sensible, to be honest. I mean, there's what we offer on the community pository is any package that's pushed to the CCR of the Trocolate Community postry, we send all the related files and packages over divirus total to let them scan it as well, and we report that information on virus Total. So if there were something that comes through, then that information is available on the package page, so you'll be able to see that there's a there's maybe a higher rate of virus detections for this package version, and it might give you pause to think about what that's maybe not a good idea, or it gives you more pause to take it onto some sort of DMZ within your organization, install it there without letting it, letting it across your organization. There's mechanisms that you can use to prevent those potential supply chain attacks. But at the end of the day, I mean, it's it is. It's something that we all have to be conscious of because there's there are malicious actors out there that we need to be careful of. It's unfortunately as part of the world that we've lived in today.
Speaker 2: Well and these recently just the past couple of years, we've found now long term maintainers that may have been plants the whole time thence quiet, you know, getting that maintainer of privilege that they could approve their own prs and adding really like crazy sneaky things like the xz util ones comes to mind, where literally, you know, this is a utility for data compression that and numerous numerous people, millions of people use, and this longtime maintainer slipped in this bit of code that was sending telemetry of everything being compressed to China. And the only reason it was detected is that there was a Microsoft guy was his name Andres who was doing performance testing version of version and the new version was five hundred milliseconds slower, and so he dug in like what made this slower? And I covered this whole thing like it's quite a story. Thank goodness, people like this exists. But it also speaks to part of our instrumentation on updated versions. It really is looking at the subtle changes.
Speaker 1: I kind of think automation is a good place for these kinds of things to look like. GitHub has depend abot right, and I don't know how much of it is automated, but it seems like it is. And you know, to do automated testing of things like this, Richard that you know that this guy had a human had to find that based on some timing. But some of these things could be automated. I think maybe in the future they will be more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wonder this is what's againing well. Llm's working for us right, not being part of the problem where they to be able to assess the risk of data changes and maybe raise a red flag because ultimately that a self approved PR bad like giant red flag right away. But okay, so you have two people involved, but just having very detailed assessments of what's early in that PR and what and what its potential risk is. Like I wonder if we aren't already maturing and I don't have evidence, but I'll look for it. That we are starting to build lms. Who's specially who are going to be And I shouldn't say who because it's software that analyzed security risk on co changes constantly.
Speaker 1: Well you mean you already have you know, things like gethub copilot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it depends on what we'll catch like keys in code.
Speaker 1: Yeah yes, but it isn't going to test right. But you know the thing about gethub copilot is you tell it to do something, it just goes off and does it. Or the get ub Copilot code Assistant I think it's called, so you know, there could be back background process he's running and get hub per se I mean not just there, but anywhere where something new is checked in. I mean it's just another pipeline really if you think about it.
Speaker 2: Something that you know the same way that used to be so fixated on performance at SLA testing for a lot of software where it's like, is this still going to comply with the SLA or the performance levels that we agreed to, you know now, and I'm thinking back of the day where we were talking about just needing provision new hardware because we were running our own rigs. Right, it's like, hey, we added. The classic one was when we added the recommendation engine and brought the whole place of it's knees because it was so much more computationally intensive and so we fortunately we ab switched it, figured out how much more it was, and then like did the math and said, we have to buy this many more computers if we're going to be able to run this thing. You know, So those kinds of benchmarking, the fact that we're going to benchmark it to see was malicious code added, Like wow, this is the world we're living in now. It's really you know, package management ain't what it used to be. You've been doing this longer than anybody, Gary, Like, obviously the demands only get bigger. I mean, is it getting better?
Speaker 3: I mean it's definitely as we continue to see more people using it and we continue to see more packages being pushed to the repostentry that we maintained. So it is always, it's always that all of the graphs that we have and that we maintain, more people are wanting it and more people are using it. Right, But I mean, I go back to where I started. I set up and in this game quite a long time now, But when I started, it was just literally I want a quick way of installing this thing, but it's now morphed into I want to bring up a whole suite of computers that all have different applications on them, or a whole different different applications on them to test these different scenarios as part of my CICD pipeline. So whereas before we would have been constrained to here's one build agent that's got all the stuff on it that is maintained in secrecy by the whole ops team, now transferred all of that over to vms running in the cloud that you can spin up on a whim, but you still need to do the application management over it. And that's where something like chocolate comes in. So it's it's a never changing landscape, but it's one that continues to need solutions like chocolate. So it's it's a very interesting space to be involved in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet never a dull moment.
Speaker 3: I bet never a dull moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, But you said pack. I think about how much more complicated CICD pipelines are these days, and this package management pipeline, including the feed in of new versions is going to be at least as complicated now. Absolutely, it's all part of the equation and it's.
Speaker 3: It's it's the landscape is ever increasing as you start talking in the likes of ARM. ARM is now a thing that people want to build on, and file for and package for. So that's one of the conversations that we're having internally is well, what is how does chocolate fit into that ARM landscape and what do we need to do to perform it because chocolate chocolate ex Today runs under the emulation layer with on ARM, Right, but do we want or do we need? Do you want a native version of chocolate ex The answer to that is probably yes, but then eventually eventually that but then that causes our bills then need to change because we need to introduce having the ARM hardware to then build on, compile on, test on, package on. So it increases our landscape of what we need to do in order to provide that increase landscape for the customer.
Speaker 2: It's my experience with the Snapdragons, the Snapdragon ultras is the emulator is very fast, and you'd be very happy with that until you just see you see how much faster it is running native correct, and the emulated version was not bad until you saw the native version went wow, I want that more of that.
Speaker 3: It's just and also some of the some of the APIs they get lied to because of the emulation layer. So where we would say what are you running on, it will go well, I'm running on this, when actually it's running on this completely separate things. So there's different APIs that we need to call into for certain things to get some of that information out. So the landscape changes ever so slightly. But you if you're using the emulation layer, but if you're running natively, that's those problems no longer exist.
Speaker 2: And you guys don't tend to poke into ring zero for any reason.
Speaker 3: You know, no, No, that's not no.
Speaker 2: That's and that's where the real WAMI comes for arm is that all of that architecture is fundamentally different. Yeah, as long as you're staying in the user layer. The user layer lies to you really efficiently.
Speaker 3: Yes, So that's something that we're definitely looking at. It's the conversations are being had about what we need to do and what we need to do, because right now, for Chocolate, we will say the helper scripts that we have will say give me the thirty two bit installer or give me the sixty four bit installer, and then Chocolate does the right thing based on where it's running. But then we would need to extend that to have well are you on ARM and then is it ARM thirty two? Is ARM clutter two still a thing? Is it ARM sixty four? Yeah, there's all these questions here.
Speaker 2: When it's only ARMS sixty four, like just one last thing, it's pretty hard. Thirty two is pretty much over.
Speaker 3: That's it. So but I say those questions are those questions are being asked. Those we're trying to provide answers. So that that I said, that landscape is ever changing and we're trying to But I mean there's the other parts of it from a development perspective. We had this conversation last time where we've literally just done the switch from dot net four up to dot net four point eight we're in a similar chasm now where we're at four point eight, but we want to jump to dot net, to actual dot net. So there's conversations around what we do there, what do we do again? Our builds need to change, our testing needs to change. So there's it's a never ending sea of things that need to be thought about in conversations.
Speaker 1: All right, you're gonna love this question, Gary, what is the wackiest tech support ticket you ever saw?
Speaker 2: For chocolate?
Speaker 3: So so the one that comes to mind is one that I briefly spoke about and our last meeting, but it was we had a customer who the customer that was running CCM and CCM at the time. It does a thing where we do deployment and it installed on the computer that you're running on. So this customer happened to be running on Windows Server twenty twelve, and the deployment would work the first time, and then if you ran it again it would fail. So there was it was. It was in explosive. It would always just work. So in our testing it always just worked. We were testing on not Windows Server twenty twelve. So it turns out that there was a problem with the SMA assembly the PowerShell SMA assembly had a bug, and the first deployment it worked just fine, and the second deployment, I think it was an internal array that had been set and therefore it didn't work the same way that it worked before. Literally, after literally debugging or decompiling the SMA assembly and looking at the generated code, I figured it out, found a way to reset the array on each deployment, and I was able to fix it for that customer. But that's That's one of the the fundamentals of Chocolate is that we try to be backwards compatible, but that end the end result of that is we end up with customers running on older operating systems that we're trying to support and maintain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're like, how dare you not run on a ten year old operating exactly exactly you guys? Do you freaking guys?
Speaker 3: So that's the one that immediately springs to mind. So that was me splunking into the internals of the SMA assembly to figure out how things work.
Speaker 2: And I mean, so there's no point in pushing to the PowerShell guys. They're gonna go a sorry, now, that's not a supported operating system.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it, so we were able to find a solution. So sometimes these things happened, and that's literally there's nothing we can do in this suggestion as well, you need to upgrade to X whatever it is to upgrade. But we try to support because we know that people are running those older operating systems of older applications. So Chocolatey tries to be as backwards compatible as we can be. So we can say that we've got both the one point X branch of chocolate and the two point X branch of chocolate. Both of them are supported. So one point X goes all the way back to dot net four. If you really wanted to wow, I hope I I would like to think there's not many people still on dot net four. But yeah, stranger things have happened.
Speaker 1: Well, but this whole story about Windows twenty twelve and I don't know when it happened, but it was probably ten years later, right that, So.
Speaker 3: We're talking within the last three years, the last three years that this was that man.
Speaker 2: But it.
Speaker 1: Just it speaks to the point that somebody has been using Windows, a version of Windows for ten years, a server version of Windows for ten years.
Speaker 2: Which by the way, only went out of support in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: That speaks volumes, right.
Speaker 2: Like Microsoft used to offer ten years.
Speaker 1: If speaks volumes about the quality of Windows Server. I think it does well. It does except for that one stupid DLL that is the program didn't stupid initialize the array.
Speaker 2: But also you notice not Microsoft's pushing back and starting to shorten those timelines to encourage upgrade. There's also some vulnerabilities in twenty twelve that are really freaking serious, right, like it's time to retire that.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those situations that yes, we know people are using these systems, but we're also hoping it's in some sort of air gun network that has less to the Internet. Yeah, but again, stranger things well you know.
Speaker 2: Now, then back to my run ass hat. It's like the Halfnium exploit of all of those old Exchange servers, tens of thousands of them, which is sort of proof that not leading people not upgrading, they are also putting them on the internet.
Speaker 1: I told you, I think I told you many times about my sister in law who just last year was still running Windows Vista well on her home computer, not.
Speaker 2: Only running an old version of Windows, but a.
Speaker 1: Really bad but not only yet so, but her excuse was, but I like it, and I'm like, I don't care. You know what likes you, malware, that's what likes you.
Speaker 3: I remember, I think it was the Windows XP. I remember trying to set up I think with my granny's computer at the time, and I was trying to do Windows updates on Windows XP and I got I remember which bug it was, but it was one of those bugs that in the time that it took me to download the Windows updates, malware had attacked the machine. It was already infected, and there was at that point there was no mechanism to do downloads of Windows updates out with the Windows Update interface. So it was a race literally to try and get the update to fix the bug before the bug got onto your machine, before.
Speaker 2: You got exploited through that bug.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they those who ever looked up the half new exploit. In the end, the FBI used the vulnerability to patch the vulnerability. Wow, rather because people weren't fixing it. Yeah, wow, is that bad?
Speaker 1: Halfnium? Is that what you called it?
Speaker 2: The coxploit? Yeah, it's a few years ago. There's a whole run as on it. For those who care but you know, this is all you know, this is all the stuff that that the security people scare us with, right, right, but these were these were crucial sort of turning point of vulnerabilities. Right, it's twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Every Thursday, after I record Security this Week with Patrick Hines and Duine Laflatte, Kelly sits down and says, so what should I be scared about today?
Speaker 2: Just put the tinfoil on your head and be quiet. Right, It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it feels like we're all screwed. It's just a matter of how long it's going to be before that happens somehow.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, well, the good news is the good The good guys are smarter than the bad guys. But the good guys have to be right every time they get guys only have to write once.
Speaker 1: I don't know. The bad guys have countries behind them though, So that's what bothers me. Armies of hackers. You know, it's scary world out there. But as Rory said, once cut off your hands, live in a box, you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: There's a tone for the show.
Speaker 1: Everything's going to be fine.
Speaker 2: Baggage management it's great, No, really, it's great.
Speaker 1: Great, No, it's fine. Gary. What's next for you? What's in your inbox?
Speaker 3: So obviously more chocolate you work. I'm hoping to go to ps COM for you in Germany in June the CONFI. Yeah, so it's the EU version of the PowerShell Summit that happened at State Side, so as a really good event. I was there last year or sorry this year, and I'm hoping to go next year as well. But yeah, other than that, just being a dad, being a husband, doing all the day to day stuff. It's not it's not it's not exciting, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: So oh, it's exciting being It's bloody rewarding is what it is.
Speaker 3: That's very true.
Speaker 1: All right, Well Gary, thanks a lot. We always learn a lot when we talk to you, and this was no difference. So thanks than all right, We'll talk to you next time on dot net rocks. Dot net rocks is brought to you by Franklin's Net and produced by Pop Studios, a full service audio, video and post production facility located physically in New London, Connecticut, and of course in the cloud online at pwop dot com.
Speaker 4: Visit our website at d O T N E t r o c k S dot com for RSS feeds, downloads, mobile apps, comments, and access to the full archives going back to show number one, recorded in September two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and two. And make sure you check out our sponsors. They keep us in business. Now go write some code, see you next time. Got tad middle vans now the summer time that means home. Then my Texas in line read