Speaker 1: Ice chest of information. It's essential to know what's going on inside KARC the talkstation.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh five fifty five GARCD talk station, Happy Friday Eve.
Speaker 1: You know what that means?
Speaker 2: Jay Rodland at the bottomy R I heard Needy Aviation Exist always closed the show out on a positive note with Jay on Thursday, and I'm pleased to welcome. Timing couldn't be better considered. We've been talking a lot about violence in the Cincinnati. In Greater Cincinnati, Aaron Winer's joining the program. Aaron is a member of the Clifton Community Council, but he's also running for Cincinnati City Council as a charter right erin It's great to have you on the program. Thanks for joining the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me. Good morning and morning Cincinnati, and.
Speaker 2: I will let folks know it's a winer for Cincinnati. W E I N E R four f O R Cincinnati dot com. That's where you find his campaign website. He's also on Facebook. Before we get to what you're running on as council and what your vision, excuse me, your vision and your priorities are for the for the city in your role as a Clifton Community council member, you had a bit of a problem on your hands. I guess it was this past Sunday, a late night with their calling street takeover on Ludlow Avenue. Apparently more than eighty people crowd the street, blocking traffic, intimidating people, and it got kind of unruly, and so much so that my understanding is the there was a fire truck that was trying to get out. They couldn't get the fire truck out to go on a run. That's kind of scary. This came up in your council meeting on Monday, did it not?
Speaker 3: Correct? So, first of all, just for the record, I'm not on Clifton Town Meeting. I'm a member of the Clifton Town Meeting. I'm a Clifton resident, and along Withst. Ty, I'm not one of the officers, but i can certainly speak to help the issue because I'm very I'm very well informed.
Speaker 2: Of course, you are an actively involved, concerned citizen.
Speaker 1: That qualifies you because concern.
Speaker 3: And I'm a member and I'm a member of Clifton Town Meeting. So so essentially, let me start with some history. So this particular business has been sort of a score to the community for quite some time. It started in fall of twenty three when Facebook posts have been posted for after parties at this business hookah bar.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about the Bohemian hookah cafe, correct, correct.
Speaker 3: So it started in the fall of twenty three. They were posting on the Facebook page after parties and they first started indoor sort of non nondescript things, which slowly turned into pouring into the outdoors and loud dancing and disruption, which turned into selling alcohol and other things out of the cars and just disruption. So you know, over multiple occasions, CTM had reached out and also our business to strict we have a Business District Association as well, has engaged the police, has engaged city city law apartments, they have cameras of it, they have video of it. And each time that we've brought this to the attention, you know, we can't prove anything. We can't we can't identify people, so it's an ongoing thing. Which basically the culmination of this was what happened over the fourth of July weekend, which was one of these events, which was probably extra escalated because it was a holiday. Eighty plus people about three forty three thirty in the morning to four o'clock in the morning, so July, you know, July fifth into the sixth, and on Sunday, just the crowd in the street. It is true. You know, we have our firehouse right there on the street corner of Ludlow and Clifton, and that was blocked that they couldn't get out. Police showed up. They quickly realized that this is out of hand, certainly, I know I not. Tatoes were used and pepper balls were used, and they realized that they didn't have enough people to actually handle it, called for backup, which was not readily available. Imagine that. So it escalated. There were arrests, there were guns, and obviously could have been a lot worse. There was a felony assault on an officer, and this could have been a lot worse. There could have been a shooting. There could have who knows where that fire truck was going. Where they going to someone's house that was having an emergency. You know, we don't really know that part of the story yet. So I mean, basically this is just sort of a culmination and sort of the pinnacle of what was what's been going on in the neighborhood. For a good part of almost two years, and I think what really sort of the is I keep up on the news, and certainly I was out of talent actually when this was going on. But it was shocked that this happened Sunday and I didn't hear about this. No one heard about this until Tuesday when the news broke through through our business association CTM. You know, why was this not brought out in the news. I mean, this just happened in Blue Ash, which was all over the news. Yeah, you're right, you know happened. This was sort of swept under the rug, and you know, I didn't even hear about it as an involved neighbor until Tuesday when the news broke Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had a real problem, at least collectively, observing the reactions of the sincinn City Council and the mayor to the lot of the violence that's going on. I mean, this isn't the first gang of unruly people who've gathered together in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the police. Silence seems to be deafening for at least from the Mayor's office and from the council members. So maybe this is just a concerted effort. It's bad for business, it's bad for marketing. It makes the city look bad. It makes Clifton look bad. If we find out we got gangs of kids that are showing up at three o'clock in the morning outside of this hookah bar, partying in the street and waving guns around, and maybe they just want to sleep it under the rug. I'm left to speculate on that aerin. But this Bohemian hookah cafe, according to Channel nine, they're open between four pm and four am every day, that is past bar closure time. They're not a they don't have a liquor license. But don't the bars in the in the Clifton area and your community close at two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: That's correct, that's correct. I mean I think some action might even close earlier, depending on the traffic that that they received that night.
Speaker 2: Sure, so the Bohemian Huko cafe not having a liquor license, but apparently drawing the attention of a bunch of people that want to hang out there, that's how you end up having alcohol being sold out of cars because it's past bar open time. But if there's an opportunity to make a little money and people are going to continue to want to drink. That's obviously that's going to happen, or at least seems logical that it's happening.
Speaker 3: It's correct, it's an attractive nuisance. Realized what it is.
Speaker 1: So are they going to close down? I saw that the.
Speaker 2: Reporting indicated that the owner of the establishment's building is trying to evict the Bohemian hooka cafe as the city helped along those lines. Have they been identified as a nuisance business yet?
Speaker 1: Is? Are we moving in that direction?
Speaker 3: As far as far as I know, that has not been identified and that's not been part of that equation.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think certainly the landlord has has recourse with their own process, But as far as we're the stars, I'm concerned there really has not been much of an effort yet through the city.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, now that it's made the news eron and it's and you obviously have been aware of it living in the neighborhood. You've talked about the videos that have been shown to the police in the past and all, we can't identify who that is, but that doesn't suggest that it isn't happening. Look, there's the crowd of people. I know, we can't figure out who's in that crowd, but look what's going on all the time. It seems to me the natural reaction will be to post to have a broader, larger police presence right there outside of the hookah bar uh to keep people from congregating and engaging in this kind of activity.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that would that would probably be helpful. I mean, and certainly in the past we have you know, they've certainly gone, but they just say they can't they can't prove it, they can't find, you know, what they're doing driven by before. But again, I mean, I think certainly if the presence would there's no substitute for an after deterrence, and that's that's having the police presence, you know, during during the situation.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: And what is concerning about this is that maybe the most logical and simplest solution just get a whole bunch more officers up there to keep them from engaging in criminal activity otherwise blocking the street to the fire department. But as you pointed out, the police that were there appreciated that they were overwhelmed by the numbers, were probably afraid given the number of people there called for backup, which wasn't immediately available, So we run into that problem all the time.
Speaker 1: Aaron.
Speaker 2: The police are already working multiple overtime hours. They're short staff. I think they're down one hundred and fifty plus. They've got more people every day who are announcing early retirement. I talked to the FLP president about on the program earlier this week, and that's a frightening thing. And I know part of your campaign plan for running for Cincny City Council is expanding the number of officers and increasing the classes, but that takes a while to accomplish. So we're dealing with the real police shortage here is really what this comes down to.
Speaker 3: Correct, Correct, My understanding is we're about nine hundred and chains and we should be about twelve hundred and chains to sort of meet the requirements for pody of our size.
Speaker 2: Well, Aaron, you want to talk about your campaign, we'll bring you back and dive on into some of the platform you're running on.
Speaker 1: Aaron Winer, that's correct, Let's thank you. So let's do that. So, Pa, let's pause.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm at break time, so I'll bring you back and we'll dive on maybe a little bit more of this, but also your platform for since a city council lord knows we could use a refreshing change, and Eron may very well be that guy age fifteen right now. If you I have care see de talk station. Let me first mention cover sincy. The phone call that you should make. Phone call that won't cost you anything, the phone call that won't oblige you to do anything, a phone call that will result and cover sincy. Looking at you your situation, maybe your family's on your medical insurance, but it's all about medical insurance and you probably got one of those plans or your employer. It's one size fits although it really does, and lots and lots and lots of holes in the bucket, massive out of pocket liability, most notably if you're like on Obamacare, looking at ten thousand dollars out of pocket next year. Oh and by the way, that tax credit it goes away if you make more than six four grand in the next calendar years. So if you're operating with the tax credit, which is what makes it affordable, you need to talk to John Roulman. He is your broker, working with hundreds of insurance companies across the table from you and John and his team. They're not beholding to any one of them. They have an allegation to you to sift through all of the thousands of available policies and find out one that best suits your needs, needs which can change over time. So John on the team and look at where you are, what you've got. Come up with a better solution, one that'll provide dollar one coverage in many many cases where you don't have it, and will cost you less. Can you imagine that better medical insurance, less money? Does it every single day and to great satisfaction. The listeners that have gotten in touch with John and the team have been really happy. I get a lot of emails and communications about how much how the financial bottom line in the medical coverage is better. So call him up, let him do the analysis for you, Let him come up with a better way. Five one three eight hundred call that's five one three eight hundred two two five five. There's a form online you can fill out. They won't give your information to anybody. It stays right there with them. Cover sincy dot com fifty five KRC for more information about contests on this date eight nineteen fifty five KR CD Talk Station Ryan Thomas with Aaron Weiner running for Cincinna City Council. You have a choice out there. You don't have to go with the same old, same old. Doing the same thing over and over again is the definition of stupidity if you're expecting a different result. Winer for Cincinnati we I an E R F O R Cincinnati dot COM's his website for his campaign, or he can find him on Facebook at Aaron with two A's winer for Cincinnati City Council. Aaron, what of your priorities and I appreciate your priorities public safety and law enforcement along the lines of what we've been talking about youth violence and crime prevention. Quite often these roving gangs include a bunch of underage young people. How they are out in how they get away with being out at three o'clock in the morning, That to me seems a family issue. But we do have a curfew. And one thing I learned from the FOP president other's on Lawenform. They don't even bother picking them up for truancy violations because nothing is ever done. There's no room at the end in terms of locking them up overnight, and the judicial system usually just dismisses the case outright, just no, done, We're gonna let them go. So how do we solve that problem? Because that's a critical leg of the criminal justice system is punishment. It acts as a deterrence to others. They're know they're going to get in trouble if they do something, and it also punishes the person who broke the law. If you take that out, I say, you basically destroyed the concept of law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, So I mean I think first of all, it starts by by saying that unfortunately, we can't parent everyone's child. And I think it does. It does start it in the home, and there's certainly there's certainly lots of nuances to that that I.
Speaker 1: Do agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think we need we can't have law as if we don't enforce them. I mean, truancy is an important part of that, and I think that should be followed up on. And it starts and it's it's there. I mean, it's it's if you start catching things early, it prevents things that happen later. And I think it does. It does boil down to consequences. I think you know, growing up, we learned that if if if you did act, then why could happen? Absolutely and why why could could be the worst case possible. So we learned that we just didn't do that, or you know, if we got away with it once, great, but it probably won't happen again.
Speaker 2: I know, just thinking of my day my late father and mother or my mom is still with us. But yeah, they did not abide this kind of behavior.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 2: If they found me that I was at at three o'clock in the morning hanging out with a gang, uh and maybe getting perhaps of being a victim of a drive by shooting, trust me, there would be hell to pay in my house.
Speaker 3: Right absolutely. And again it's not it's not that I'm not for I mean, I know that some of the things that we're doing in the city or are providing programs and so forth, and and it's not that I'm against that. I do think, you know, certain certain programs that are doing are good. But that's really not. That's a social problem. That's not that's that's that's a social fix, that's not a law enforcement fix. So while I'm for some of that, it's not it's not it's not the solution. It's certainly and certainly kids do need things to do. We can't go to King's Island anymore under a certainty.
Speaker 1: So I get it.
Speaker 3: There's you know, there's there's things that I could have done as a kid that maybe people can't do now. So I totally get that. But still it does it does boil down to if X happens, then why will happen as well? And I do think we do need to take take this seriously and actually have consequences. And you know, you know, the magistrates can't just release someone back if they've gone to trouble. Let's let's let's have a plan that that does have some consequences, does take away you know, some freedoms for a while. Yeah, and hopefully that curbs the problem.
Speaker 2: Another thing I see on your list of priorities, and this is going to put a small lot of my listeners faces. Repealing connected communities ran into this. It's as if the city council does not care about the local nature of the different neighborhoods that are in the city of Cincinnati. We saw this unfold with bond Hill Hyde Park. They first shove connected communities as a zoning concept on all of the neighborhoods without consulting them and regardless of whether or not they were interested in it, and then offer waivers to connected developers like in Hyde Park to go outside of connected communities and build whatever it is these developers won. Now that's going to be at least on the ballot this fall, and I think there's going to be a lot of people voting in favor of that. But you just like to repeal the whole connecting communities concept.
Speaker 3: Correct, Well, let me start with the genesis of my campaign, which is very much in line with what you've just said, is that I'm sitting here right now in my office on Hyde Park Square, and I've been my business has been here for over twenty years, and my particular office is part of that at the center of the controversial development. And that's sort of what is what has to think about Rene for cons Council for a long time. But that's sort of what catapulted me into jumping into the race, because all of a sudden, I became a stakeholder in this, in this in this this large issue, so to get to get back to connected communities, and obviously I'm in real estate, so I'm sitting in my real estate office I'm for development. I've been around for all the genres of development in Cincinnati, from when they were building the comments of the in the Central Business District to Gate Recorder to OTR to Main Street to Walna Hill. I've been involved in all of them. I'm for development right. What I'm against are a couple things. The first thing is, you know, we have we are a unique city of Hill of Hills and the River. To have a one size fits all brushstroke across the city does not make sense to me. If you get in your car and you drive from College Hill down the Lower Side and in the Clifton and each neighborhood has different needs, So why would we have a brushstroke across the whole city? Is a one size fits all? You know, getting getting back to Clifton where this where this whole incident happened, we were talking about. You know, one of the things we didn't talk about is there's apartment buildings all around there that are getting that we're involved. There's density in Clifton.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: But my point is, My point is is that each neighborhood has their own needs. So to just put a brushstroke across the entire city, to me, without consideration of the individual needs of the community, with bad legislation, which is another reason why I wanted to use my experience as a real tour to have these discussions bout development and these touch issues and be the adult in the room that's we're discussing them. I believe in the city and I want to make sure that we preserve the architecture. There's a reason why fifty movies have been filmed and since and now you're over the last several years, over the last many years. It's our architecture, it's our character. You know, that's an asset we.
Speaker 1: Need to pigs.
Speaker 2: Aaron Wyner, speaking my language, I appreciate what you have to say. I really strongly encourage my Cincinnati listeners to get over to your website and learn more about what you stand for some really good priorities here. Aaron, it's Weiner for Cincinnati dot com erin. You're welcome on the show and we'll talk again, hopefully between now and this fall and the election. I wish you all the best of luck, sir.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: My pleasure A twenty seven right now, if you I have carecy the talk station aviation expert Jay Ratliffe coming up next. Love talking to Jay, and I hope you enjoyed as much as I do. And I also love referring my friends and listeners to Foreign Exchange because you're going to save a heapload of money versus the dealer when you have your traditionally imported are from Asia or Europe or tesla. Like the emphasize they do fixed tesselas now all certified and trained on that. So have it fixed at Foreign Exchange Westchester location. Just head up or down seventy five, take the Toylersville exit and head east really short jogged at Kinglnd Drive. Just two streets and right and you're there. Great team of folks that'll treat you wonderfully. Customer services outstanding is as certified master technician will be working on your car. They have access to your manufacturer's technical information, and you won't pay as much. Heap loads of money. I've saved tons over the years taken it to Foreign Exchange. With auto repairs getting more and more expensive almost every moment, take advantage of the great work that Foreign Exchange can do for you. Five one, three, six, four, four, twenty six, twenty six Tel Austin and the crew. Brian said, Hi, when you call five one three six four four twenty six, twenty six, you can find them out. You find them online over at feign X. That's foreign the letter X dot com fifty five KRC. Here's the let's try