Speaker 1: You're listening to the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighties station What three point one.
Speaker 2: Our friend Steven Presley.
Speaker 1: You can find him on Instagram at thunder pop Tv also on YouTube. Joins us every Friday to talk pop culture of things that are happening in Hollywood. And in this case, we're going to talk a little bit about the Breakfast Club reunion that happened in Chicago. We'll save that for just a moment. Let's start out. Are they really making a Toys r Us movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's in pre production. It's been greenlit. Toys r Us the movie. It's in the works. It's gonna it's a movie around the iconic toy store. And yes, uh, this is something that obviously is trying to tap into the nostalgia like Barbie did.
Speaker 4: Will it work with Toys r Us? Though, like it did with Barbie, if.
Speaker 1: They have all the characters and stuff and all the toys inside come alive or something, I could see that.
Speaker 5: Jeff the Giraffe like Solar jey Goo free.
Speaker 6: Spelled, Jeffrey had like a wife and kid, right, what did was have a missus Jeffrey and a little tiny draft guy.
Speaker 3: I think they did expand the universe at some point, and yeah, he had family, showed his family and then the movie.
Speaker 5: Is it closed and abandoned?
Speaker 7: I call the rest of them ak.
Speaker 5: I didn't know there were any left.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it a period piece or is it, like you said, is a dystopian version of that?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 3: Also, hey, before you make it, Toys r US movie, give me my Paul Paul Blart Mall Cop three. Yeah, because that movie is right for the making. You're talking about an abandoned store. You could do the mall is about to be closed with Paul Blart trying to save the mall.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can we I mean, I admired toys.
Speaker 1: This is clearly a commercial for Toys r US trying to make a comeback.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing.
Speaker 1: But can we all agree that there are just some things that need you just need to let go of, and Toys r US. Kids today are going to be just fine not going to Toys r US.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why aren't we chatting about this?
Speaker 8: I think when when Target rebranded, yeah a couple of decades ago. You remember they came back and they were really fashionable. All of a sudden it became cool and you know, the mommy's buying toys are going to go to Target first. Before it that Toys r Us was just it was dated when it last time I was there, just right when.
Speaker 7: It finally went away.
Speaker 2: Target went from targ Ghetto to Tarja. They did.
Speaker 1: They did a great job with that. Trisa boy. You should see the credit card bills from Target.
Speaker 5: Target's dangerous, man, it is.
Speaker 7: It is dangerous.
Speaker 6: And I think Target shot itself in the foot when they started the shop online and then you come and park and they bring it out to you. Because most of my money was spent on this stuff. I didn't know I need needed until I.
Speaker 7: Went into Target.
Speaker 6: I feel like they're losing a lot of money by not having everybody come into the store.
Speaker 7: Just my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure they did a research project on that.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying they lost some of my money for sure.
Speaker 1: Moving along, super Good Girl, Woman of Truth. What's this about?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know we know about the Superman movie. Of course, we've seen the trailers. It's coming out this summer. But the next summer after that, we're going to get the Supergirl movie. It's almost wrap filming. It's called Supergirl, Woman of Tomorrow, and Millie Alcock, who's a big star from House to Dragon, is going to be playing Supergirl.
Speaker 2: Is she that buck toothkit girl you told us about last week?
Speaker 4: Oh that Sydney Sweeney.
Speaker 3: No, No, the other one from Amy Lee Wood from White Lotus, different actress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one that can even apple through a fence.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, yeah, White Lotus actress. This one was the one you've seen a lot of the posters for the the original it's not actually House of Dragon. It was the show before House of Dragon, which was Game of Thrones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all the yeah, everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she had a real quirky look. Yeah, maybe maybe bad teeth too. I don't want to see a picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a funny thing.
Speaker 1: It's a funny thing with especially like any English show that I watched that's made within the last ten or fifteen years, I struggle with it. Like I'm watching mob Land right now, and that's an English setting, English gangsters, English family and they all have perfect teeth wrong, Like, no, this is this is not authentic at all. That night and there's not a family in England that has teeth as night as nice as as those The harrigans do I'm telling you so?
Speaker 3: Anyway, Supergirl, when does that come out? It's coming out summer of twenty twenty six. This one promises to be more gritty than the Superman movie because Supergirl lived a harder life. She was raised on some rock floating around in space. Meanwhile, Superman's at that nice farm in Kansas with a nice family.
Speaker 4: She gets abandoned on a rock. Oh she's got.
Speaker 7: Some anger issues, then, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's gonna have some anger issues.
Speaker 1: Moving along to a classic from the nineteen eighties that still gets a lot of run The Breakfast Club. They had a reunion Did you say it was in Chicago?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole They got the band back together in Chicago for an event there, and they had a Q and A and this is Emilio said, you know, hey, I avoided these reunions for years, But something about this one that it was in Chicago where we originally filmed, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think they just scratched the right check check. Yeah, And that's.
Speaker 3: How they got everybody to show up, because even Judd Nelson would not appear in the brats Dock. And you remember this, Tricia, he finally shows up via a phone call at the end. Yeah, I think they have him kind of off. They just hear them over the phone. But he wouldn't do that. He refused to do the doc. But yet he did show up for this again. I think they just scratched the right check.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't have anything to do with that documentary at all. They chased him down through the whole thing, So I think you're right. Money finally got him.
Speaker 2: Who hurt him?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like that that made your career? Dude, Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But in that documentary, they all talked about how they were all pigeon holed, and they were saying that by being dubbed the brat Pack, it hurt their careers. It's not what put them on the map and then launched them into other things. They were all trying to dissociate from it to be able to have a further career.
Speaker 4: I almost said, a good documentary.
Speaker 1: It didn't hurt Rob Low. But Rob Low wasn't in that. He wasn't in the brat Pack, right.
Speaker 4: No, he wasn't.
Speaker 7: He was saying almost fire and some other ones, Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was almost fire. Yeah, oh last night. Mm hmm about last night some of the others, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of having a balance, having a great attitude about it and not coming off negative about it, but then all of a sudden being able to reinvent. And that's what Rob Low did. He was able to reinvent. He took smaller roles just to keep working. He was on he was on parks and for a while, and then he did that. I think he did a fireman show. This film here in Austin.
Speaker 8: Kind of helps him that he doesn't age and then oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a handsome man.
Speaker 5: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: Who's hotter him or John Stamoso?
Speaker 4: Rob Low?
Speaker 7: For sure?
Speaker 6: I had the Rob Low poster when he had the white tank top and the cream suit on the office shoulder.
Speaker 4: I had that.
Speaker 7: Poster when I was like in middle school.
Speaker 2: I wonder where it is. Do you still have it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: I don't still have that posters on my wall.
Speaker 1: Coming up Steve Stephen Presley from app thunder Pop TV on Instagram. He can fight him on YouTube as well. He's gonna stick around. Coming up boy. The Netflix CEO awfully proud of himself and his company, isn't and he's throwing down the gloves with movie theaters in Hollywood. Steven's got the details for us coming up on Austin's eighties station what Oh three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app. The Netflix CEO is pulling no punches. Wait till you hear what he has to say about Netflix, movie theaters and Hollywood. That's coming up. Stephen Presley as our guest. Find him on Instagram at thunder Pop Tv, also on YouTube same handle. But first, there's a TV show that's ending that I don't think any of us knew was even still on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the rebranded version of Roseanne that was called The Connors. It's been on it made it for seven seasons as The Connors before they they just ended the show this week and a lot of people on some people were online upset because they felt like for the finale they were expecting some some kind of cameo from Roseanne, you know, either in a flashback or in some like she comes back as a ghost, and the producer said, you know, yeah, we didn't do that, but they do actually make her character part of the story arc in the finale.
Speaker 4: People have watched it may be aware of that.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting, You know that what happened with her is not unlike what happened with Charlie Sheen, you know, being on a very popular show and then getting removed from the show because of their decisions that they made away from the show. And of course Seinfeldt said it was the most quickest way ever to end a career. Yeah, is through a tweet? Yeah, he said that's different. He said, that's a unique way to do it. At the time, I remember I remember him saying that what's crazy is is around this time, a lot of shows were being revitalized. They had you know, we just we have a Night Court revitalization now. But there was a Will and Will and Grace was brought back. Well, a lot of people might not know is Cosby was in development with NBC for a new show that sounded an awful lot like a Cosby show revitalization, and of course was that was can really quick. But can you imagine if that show had made it on TV like Roseanne around the same time, and then how they both had their issues.
Speaker 6: Oh, those Cosby's issue and Roseanne's were right around the same time.
Speaker 4: I think they were close to.
Speaker 3: I think Cosby was actually already had already happened before Roseanne. But if the timing of the Cosby thing had happened later and they had gotten that Cosby revitalization on TV before it happened, can you imagine how wild, how crazy that would have been.
Speaker 1: But think about it like this too. I mean, theo Huxtable's out there going, man, I need this gig.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's on one of the shows I currently watch called Alert.
Speaker 7: It's a theo hu show. Yeah, theo Huxtable. He's characters a little.
Speaker 2: Football player mustache.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a big, hulking guy. He's kind of got a really deep voice. His character is kind of a hard ass. And it's pretty good. It's just a show. I just kind of dabble in a little bit.
Speaker 4: As Lisa was married to Jason Moa.
Speaker 2: Once she married Lenny Kravitz too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Was right Momoa and Kravitz. That's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Life, I think she did.
Speaker 5: I mean, and you say that like you thought about that.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, I mean, that's a pretty good combo.
Speaker 7: Hi bar for anybody after that?
Speaker 2: Who's next?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, let's talk a little bit about the Netflix CEO and the claims that he is making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Netflix ceo declared. Ceo declared, we're saving Hollywood. So we are saving Hollywood. And he said, by the way movie theaters are outdated, we're what people need now more and what.
Speaker 5: I kind of agree with him on that.
Speaker 8: I I just don't enjoy the theater experience most of the time, and home televisions and sound.
Speaker 2: Systems have gotten so good.
Speaker 8: I'd rather Jake, and I've always said they can figure out how to, you know, do first run movies at home.
Speaker 5: I'm all in, like that would be.
Speaker 6: Great immediate release to streaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But are the Netflix movies I mean, are the kind of what used to end up in red box? I mean, are they whenever you see the Netflix straight down? I mean there's been if there have been some good ones, but I'd say like one out of every maybe seven or eight is really good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, They're not consistently great. I totally agree with you on that. I all the time look around for something good to watch on Netflix and I mean the other streaming services too, and it's incredible how many options are out there. And then I end up a half hour later and have nothing to watch.
Speaker 1: It's just too much, see what I'm sorry?
Speaker 3: Well, well, the other gripe about Netflix is they put these shows on and they don't finish all of them. They pulled the rug out from under them and cancel some of them before they give them a proper finale, no closure. Yeah, and so they'll show stay on the streaming app And then if you're looking for shows to watch, say like a show like The Glow, which was the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling show that I watched that they ended abruptly. There's another show called Mine's Very.
Speaker 2: Bitter about.
Speaker 4: That canceled My Glow.
Speaker 7: Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.
Speaker 4: Wow, I don't even know about this.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine if some of our favorite like some of our favorite series in our life had no finale, they just went away like there was no Friends finale? Imagine right, Peo, no Sopranos finale.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what they're tough to do? A good finale is not easy, right, just wrap everything all up. I Mean, people seems like they're never happy with how things end. But I recently watched something had the perfect ending. Yeah, Yellowstone or Landman, one of those eight nineteen twenty three.
Speaker 2: I can't remember.
Speaker 8: Nineteen twenty three just ended and we were talking about it most recently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a good That was a heck of a finale.
Speaker 2: A lot happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was good. Steven, thanks for spending time with us. We always appreciate it. Find him on Instagram at thunder Pop TV. Same thing on YouTube, and we'll do it again next week. Thank you, Steven, Thank you