Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Pink Shade. You guys, this is a bonus episode. I've got my friend here, Laris and Campbell podcaster extraordinary Mississippi Gal.
Speaker 2: Hey day, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, Laris, and last time you were here, you were talking about your podcast, Devil and the Ditch. Yes, I have got to say ding don Ditch, but that's something that's.
Speaker 2: A totally different game, but also a really fun game to play as a kid, I will say so.
Speaker 1: And now you have a new podcast that I believe it just completed, right this week was the last one?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well so this what week was supposed to be the last one? It turns out we're going to take a couple more weeks before we drop that final bonus episode, which I'm going to say publicly here on your podcast was solely so that we can take time to build an audience. And I'm going to say, off to the side, was because we had a permissions issue with a couple of interviews, and we're just going to do a different kind of episode.
Speaker 1: So got it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a really good bonus though. Okay, I think this whole new reworked version is actually going to be more what the audience wants to hear.
Speaker 1: So okay, well, the new podcast is under the Yazoo Clay. Now it's a great name, and I love a good a good named podcast, and it's it's multi layered literally because we're talking about like the Yazoo Clay is a character. Because if you're from Mississippi, all I heard my whole life was about like when you're driving in Jackson especially, and the roads are so terrible, and it's the Yazu Clay And I'm like, I think it's the Highway Department, but no, it's the Yazu play. It shifts so much that you can't ever keep the I mean, it's just like you may as well you have to have four wheel tires driving to Jackson.
Speaker 2: It is so bumpy, the damnedest soil. And I say this as a former homeowner in Jackson, Mississippi. I don't think there's anybody who lives in Hines County who has not had to have their foundation redone multiple times. It's just it is a constant battle of like getting somebody out there, getting them to like add, you know, put whatever they need to do to booster foundation a little bit. More rack sealed all the time, and so I went down there with the producing partner last April to start reporting on this. And the first thing, we're having a casual conversation. We're at this museum, this big museum opening, and the first thing they say, where we asked them how the dig is going. They're doing this huge project, multi year project to recover these unmarked graves that have been found near where the old State Lunatic Asylum as it was called back in the day used to sit. And the first thing that I say is do you know about the Yazoo clay, because it's the worst damn soil ever. And I was like, well, as a matter of fact, I do, but I don't know about it from this angle. And it turns out and it's been a huge problem for the people who are doing this work to look into these graves and try to understand who was buried there because the soil is actually eating the remains.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: And they say, I've never seen I've never seen dirt that can eat metal, but this dirt eats metal. It is the wildest clay, wildest soil ever.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy, and it's explained at the beginning of the episode, like why it is that way from the minerals and then how it comes to be, and it reminded me a lot. I don't know, if you've watched Yellow Jackets, it reminds me a lot. In Yellow Jackets, there's like that running river that's all red and you're like, what does that mean. It's like some mineral that's coming down. That's you know, in the theory world of Yellow Jackets, it's putting out some sort of magnetic field so that planes go down. It's not so much in Mississippi, but the podcast, the premise is and I remember when this happened at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, which is, you know, a fantastic institution. My brother in law graduated from there. All the many, many great doctors go there, and it's the cornerstone of you know, medical institutions in Mississippi. They're building on this section of it, and they go to start building on this new section and they find pieces and parts and bodies. Come to find out when they used to have the psychiatric institution there, they buried the people there and either the graves aren't marked very well or over time it has just eroded so much. What did they say? They think it's like seven thousand people were buried there is.
Speaker 2: That's an unbeh housing graves, that's what they think. And I think over the asylums, what eighty eighty five year history, there were a total of I think thirty thousand people who walked through the doors there. So when you think about that, a quarter of the people who went into the asylum ended up buried there. So then it kind of becomes this sort of Pandora's box, so to speak, of Okay, well when we look at this, like what exactly are we going to find? What happened to the people inside that institution that so many people died? And as we looked into it, and this is one of the things I really like about this show is that you kind of go into it expecting that you're going to be opening the doors to some gothic house of horrors, like people chained to radiators. Yeah, and you know, I don't know, crumbling ceilings, and there is like there is an element there certainly are crumbling ceilings, thank you to the Yazuklay and the bad Foundation. But it's actually like really complex and yes, like they didn't understand psychiatric medicine one hundred and fifty years ago. So LUs people were to a degree mistreated, but they also were really trying to do the right thing in certain cases, in certain cases, I should say, but it becomes this like really kind of beautiful complex problem that as a Mississippian, just so reminds me of the state that we come from, which is full of these sort of good intentions being waylaid by bad intentions with like a nice you know, little like fusion of like really bad racism coming in to like derail all the plans. And Yeah, it just it winds up sort of being a microcosm of many of the problems that Mississippi itself has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the podcast sort to take you on this journey you and you meet lots of people who say, I knew about my grandmother, but I never knew what happened to her. And you think, you think these people died and they were never like alerted that their loved one had died. There it's sort of like they put them away and either weren't told or didn't think about it. And a lot which is very interesting that I looked up while I was listening, you were talking about a certain disease people had called poleegra, which was a disease people had, but then it made it seem like they were crazy or really it could have been cured for like an antibiotic.
Speaker 2: It could have been cured with It could have been cured with a vitamin.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wild vitamin? Yes, like niosin?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, niosin. And that's actually where enriched foods come from, which is a cool little side note, yeah, for all of this, but that is the thing, like that is kind of the era of quote medicine that this institution existed in, which is that like one of the biggest causes of mental illness and later death at that time. It's just that people weren't getting enough vitamin B and it's.
Speaker 1: Crazy and it affected everybody and they you know, because you can't talk about Mississippi and that era and not address the racism, of course, and nobody wants to, and it's really hard to talk about, but it certainly was there. And I loved how you came at it from that angle as well, because Dorothea Dix is a figure in it. That was was so for these psychiatric institutions, is so like I'm going to get in there as a nurse and explain why it's important. And then you're like, but it's wonderful that she did all that for these people that were suffering. But she was a terrible racist, So that's a problem, Like, oh, dang it, can't we just have one thing.
Speaker 2: They don't tell you that when they're putting her on a postage postage stamp. But yeah, Dorothea Dix turns out was a huge racist, which is how she was able to come down to a place like Mississippi because she's from Boston, you know, and normally in the pre Civil War era, people from Mississippi did not want to listen to women from Boston. But she came down and she said, hey, look, you know what's really terrible about the treatment of your mentally ill Mississippians is that they're being treated worse than you're treating black people. And they said, oh lord, okay, well we have to find a nice facility for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It actually began as a whites only institution, and then after the Civil War they sort of begrudgingly and you know, the reconstruction and later Jim Crow era begrudgingly allowed black people to come into separate and very much unequal facilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, I mean I think that when you're telling a story like this, which is so interesting about you know, it starts off kind of macab with the buried bodies, and when you really get into it and you have to champion somebody like Dorothya Dix who wanted to help people with mental illness, but then you also have to face the truth of that era and what happened and people weren't really necessarily treated equally. And I'm fascinated by the fact that that place existed, and then it moved to Whitfield. When the first time you said Whitfield, I was to myself like, Okay, I wonder she's going to get into it, because yes, you did. Your whole life you were told if you're bad, you're going to Whitfield. Or she's so crazy she ended up in Whitfield, or so and sos you crazy, You're like Couter to Brown they ended up in Whitfield. And Whitfield was always a threat in your life. If you do something bad, you're gonna be crazy. And with the you're gonna go to Whitfield, you're gonna got to parchment one of the two. Yep, Woodfield, it's the penitentiary.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I feel like galls got threatened with Field more and boys got threatened more with Parchment.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. But I loved that you touched on that in so many different people of so many different age rages, saying their whole life they got threatened with going to Whitfield.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. And that's what I think is so interesting about this is that you know, we all existed in a post you know, Lunatic Asylum, Mississippi, but there was still another version of it, and that version the only thing we knew about it was that it was the worst thing that could happen to you.
Speaker 1: Right right, crazy people are there and it is what you're describing, like people chained to the walls and the crumbling ceilings and then not feeding them, and it's like a nurse ratchet it and you're thinking of the worst thing that's going to happen to me if I don't like pull it together, like don't go out drinking with my friends when I'm sixteen, I'm gonna go to Whitfield.
Speaker 2: Or part exactly. You know, you have you have two boyfriends at once. You're going to Whitfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're definitely crazy. Two boy friends at once. That is so funny. I tell you, I loved that, just the humor of it, because it is such a serious subject, but you got to put in that humorous part. And of course, I, you know, as a group, lived to Jackson my whole life. I did not realize that there was ever anything before Whitfield. And the fact that it's called the lunatic asylum is so wild.
Speaker 2: Oh that was that was the politically correct term of the era. Yeah, it was real nice to refer to the people who needed to go there as lunatics.
Speaker 1: You know, I got to go check grandma into the lunatic asylum, right.
Speaker 2: And you do wonder why, you know, none of these families ever knew that their relatives ended up there. I mean, when you have that kind of branding, who's going to be talking about that in the family, Who's going to be telling those stories?
Speaker 1: And I loved the the the written ledgers that were found that told from the nurses standpoint how they were taking care of the patients.
Speaker 2: I mean, as a woman in my mid forties, it is quite chilling to look down there and see the number of women who were institutionalized.
Speaker 1: For menopause, right.
Speaker 2: Right, like, oh there, but for the grace of God and a century go.
Speaker 1: I that's crazy, because you know, I could think back growing up, and you know, my parents are in their eighties. I think about growing up and my you know, my mother, I'm sure probably was going through menopause and she's hot and all this, and I'm one hundred percent for my dad said to her many times, if you don't quit that, we're going to send you to Whitfield. You know, you're acting crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, little did they know that was actually an actionable threat. That's she wouldn't have been the first.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't have been the first to be put in Whitfield because she was having hot flashes and just a little which was a little moody. Wow. I loved the story to Laris and that it really got my heart because it was you were talking to one of the and I don't know the correct term, the woman that was archaeologist.
Speaker 2: Oh it was a bioarchaeologist.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, So she was pulling things out and she was explaining to you these things that they had found. It was a filling or it was a lot of rings, and I thought a good point was when you think about the people that were burying them, they were doing it with care. They weren't necessarily stealing things from the people. I liked that. And then she told that story and you caught it because she showed this certain ring and then you said, well, wait a minute, I noticed that you have that same phrase on a tattoo on your foot. Now I'm imagining the way you described her is sort of like a thin, wiry, gray haired, seventy something year old lady that got her foot tattooed. I was like, and it was it was from that ring. Because if it's something for her husband, tell me about that, because that was like really touching.
Speaker 2: Off of that age. But then yeah, but she you know, I think anybody who spends their career sort of immersed in death and bones and you know, sort of the relics of death probably has a pronounced Macob's streak, and doctor Mack has that. Like She's like, I would love to go out for drinks with doctor mac She would be a last. She's a good storyteller, she really thinks through the stuff that she's doing, and she's the one who's leading this dig, this attempt to sort of unearth these graves, study them, and then help relocate them so that the university can put up, you know, a building on that same site. And it was a really beautiful story. So I noticed that, you know, we're going through this, and she pulls out this ring, and she points it out because it is a valuable ring. It's I believe this one was silver and engraved on the inside of it it said ever True to THEE. And her point was, you know, it's so nice to see this because there is this sort of myth, or at least reputation that these places had that the people who worked there would have taken advantage of the patients and if they had some valuable they would have stolen it, and clearly they didn't, because this person was buried with us.
Speaker 1: And that person was a real person who had a yeah, a man or a woman or something. You know, yeah, must have.
Speaker 2: Been in love at some point, you know, who had this whole other life and that and that ring, you know, really represents a full life lived outside of this institution. And then I did notice that ever True to THEE was tattooed on her foot and She explained that just a few months earlier, her husband, who had run sort of the mechanical side of the excavation. They've been partners for twenty years, both you know, relationship wise partners, but also work partners for twenty and he had suddenly died just of a heart attack, just prop dad. It was awful. And he was also the person who found that ring, and he had been, you know, sort of running around telling everybody. He was like, I found that, I found the greatest relic that anyone could find. Yeah, and it meant everything to him, and he was so proud of it, and he showed it to everybody. And then when he died, she got that tattoo to remember.
Speaker 1: It was really cool. And you also think hearing something like this, or if they put it in the newspaper or whatever, it's like, would somebody come forward and be like, oh, my gosh, that was my great grandmother's ring. You know, I know that, you know, it's got to be It's got to mean something to somebody.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm really hoping, honestly, Like that is one of the big things that I want to have come out of this, because you know, God blessed the University of Mississippi Medical Center and their research arm that is heading up this whole dig and this whole to sort of tell the story of this asylum. They have gone on publicity tours to like every library and the state. They've held talks, They've won you know, local news pieces. But I still don't think the story that they're really looking for the family members of these people who were buried there. I don't think the story has actually gotten out that wide. And you know, a couple of the people we spoke to are descendants of patients, and they don't even live in the state of Mississippi now, so you're not gonna like, they're not going to hear a talk at you know, the Greenville, Mississippi Public Library. So I think I'm really hopeful that this podcast will actually get that out there and more people can start connecting to, you know, their ancestors.
Speaker 1: I love the woman. Towards the end, I don't know which one of the last couple of episodes was saying that she never had a place where she could say like, oh, my grandmother was there, you know, And she said, and now at least when I drive by, I could say my grandmother was buried there. You know, she never knew much because her mom didn't talk much about it, just like that was the grandmother. We don't know what happened to her. And I think that for me, you know, knowing both of my grandmothers, one better than the other, for me, it would be really that would be really weird to think, like, wow, like what happened to my mom's mom, or what happened to my dad's mom or dad? Where are they? What you would you'd want to know? And so I hope that seven towers of people. There's so many people. There's so many people.
Speaker 2: Many people, and you know, in a lot of cases there's almost nothing left sometimes because of the yazoo clay. Sometimes all that remains of a grave is the outline of like where the bones were or the wow, like the sort of you can tell the soil is different from where the sort of wooden the pine box coffin was, uh huh.
Speaker 1: But the clay eats the wood and eats the person, and it eats.
Speaker 2: The person and you know, like we know that soil over centuries and millennia, you know, can get rid of bones. That's why fossils are so cool. When we find them. Yeah, but you don't expect it in like eighty five years to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well maybe that's why Jackson is always under a water boil.
Speaker 2: Jackson is always under the boil water advisory.
Speaker 1: Because they're like, you, guys, just just get a jug and keep it at your fridge because I don't know what's going to happen, and maybe you boil it, it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this about living in Jackson, But boiling my water to wash dishes is not one of those things.
Speaker 1: I tell you. So you and I, so what we have in common? Really we have my sister. Okay, let's explain this. I believe your parents let me next door to my sister. Is that right?
Speaker 2: I believe that's right.
Speaker 1: So if you're looking at my sister's house, they were on the left.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's see my parents. My parents thought were the right to the right of your Okay.
Speaker 1: The massister, I think is four two three three four two.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, so no, my parents are eight thirty five.
Speaker 1: So are they on a corner?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: No, I could be backing it up. I couldn't make it that number, and.
Speaker 2: I think it's but well.
Speaker 1: They are neighbors for sure.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing about Jackson too, is that if you're in the same neighborhood your neighbors and they probably just referred to each other as neighbors.
Speaker 1: They actually could have their backyards could have touched. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, that's.
Speaker 2: What it was actually because my parents shared backyard space with like three different yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh lord my sister had those three boys. Because I feel bad. But now, and your mom is interesting because your mom went to medical school like late in life and became a doctor, right she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she went to medical school when she was in her mid forties is when she started, so, which is really cool. She finished her residency at the age of fifty one and then practice medicine and Jackson for twenty years after that.
Speaker 1: That is pretty That's like, a that's a great role model for a mom, you know.
Speaker 2: It does It definitely kind of has allowed somebody like me, who you know, also took a solid fifteen years to really figure out what my career was. It sort of took some of the pressure off. I was like, well, you know, I can always change my career again, you don't have to be locked into something that it locked into a certain path at age twenty three.
Speaker 1: Now, how often do you go to Mississippi? Because I know you're working on you guys are working on the final bonus episode for this under the Yazu Clay. But how often do you go? And have you already started a new project? Because this one was from like I know it takes like a year to get this together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was actually in Mississippi day before yesterday reporting on a different show. This one's going to come out in September. Junie's the Binge Network, which is also where you can find Devil in the Ditch and then second podcast, Doctor Miracle. Those are both there too that I.
Speaker 1: Was subscribed to. I was subscribed to the Bench because of those podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thank you well, this will be a good one. This one working title is The Vanishing of Janis Rose, and it's great. It's a missing person's story about a mom of four little girls. She's twenty three years old, you know, high school homecoming queen, gets married early and then one day poof is just gone and her daughter spend her daughter's her sister in particular, who's a big person we talked to and her friends they all spend forty five years looking for her, and you know, without giving too much away, they figure out what happened to her, and it is the absolute last thing anybody expected.
Speaker 1: So and where we was this in Mississippi.
Speaker 2: This is in South Mississippi. She was living in Columbia. You know Columbia, Yeah, I do. It's right right north of Louisiana and living there. And then she was sort of last seen. She had a job working in like Pearl River County area. So it's good. It's got like a nice there's a trip down to Louisiana. We go down there, some thing's happened there. It gets really cajunny, lots of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it gets real Cageenny. I love that. Yeah, Okay, so you know i'd completely forgotten about doctor Miracle told will you told me about that? Because I listened to that too. Oh yeah, that was crazy.
Speaker 2: That was crazy. That was a little less like on brand for me. You know, it's California and not the Deep South.
Speaker 1: Well, it was about that guru who was telling everybody he could cure their cancer and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, he is absolutely one of the worst people I've ever written.
Speaker 1: It's still around right he is very.
Speaker 2: Much still around. I do think he was just indicted on a new set of charges, which is good, so he may actually you know what, No, he had already been indicted when we made the podcast. He has. I think he had to plead guilty to like, you know, again the sort of catch all of practicing medicine without a license. It doesn't really get at what he did because by practice practicing medicine without a license, he was sort of you know, killing people because he was telling them exactly the wrong thing to do to treat or not treat, you know, their terminal cancer or what was it they had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, ah, god, yeah. I listened to those on the bench and then but this one under the Yazoukle is with iHeart.
Speaker 2: It is. Yes, it's my first iHeart show and they've been great to work with too.
Speaker 1: I was just at two weekends ago, I was at Podcast Movement in Chicago and I was at an iHeart party.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool. I know a ton of people who are at podcast Movement actually, and I really wanted to go and the timing just didn't work out. But how was it fun?
Speaker 1: It's fun. This is the third year I've gone. Third or fourth and Dinver, we did Denver, we did La and then this one was in Chicago. Now the next one they have is in August, and to which I said, no, thank you. August and Dallas. I think I will. I could just go to Mississippi and sweat if I want you. No, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was in Dallas on Sunday actually for this next show that's coming out, and it was forty three degrees in April, and I would just I didn't check the weather ahead of time. I was like, sure, I'll bring like a sweater. No, it was so cold. It was like New York cold there.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: It was very strange, and I was a little I was more than a little cranky about it. I was very cranky about it.
Speaker 1: I was telling you, I'm going to Oxford this weekend, and my husband was like, if you check the weather. I was like, no, I'm sure we'll be in short I'm sure I'll be dying, and he goes, no, it's actually going to be like forty at night and sixty in the day. I was like perfect. I was like, I love us. Sixty during the day is the best. You can walk around right, you get shop ready.
Speaker 2: For eighty five degree weather. I am so ready for it. But I say this, it's now like it's forty two degrees right now in New York.
Speaker 1: So just so, you go back and forth New York wor to the Mississippi area a lot.
Speaker 2: Often as I can. I really, and my parents actually they did the unthinkable and they moved to Connecticut about six months ago. I know, isn't that Connecticut? I know, my poor dad has never really lived anywhere but Mississippi outside of his my when my mom was in med school and when he was in college. The rest of his life has been spent in Mississippi.
Speaker 1: The what Connecticut though, Larison.
Speaker 2: Well, one of my sisters lives in the town that they moved to, the other one lives about forty minutes away from there, and then I'm about an hour and a half away. So okay, well that makes all. Yeah, they wanted to be close to us. Yeah. I gotta be honest with you. I think they missed the social vibe of Jackson. You know, Jackson's a fun town, great people, good dinner parties, good storytellers, just all in all, a great sort of laid back vibe. And I think they're getting it with the new Canaan Connecticut crew. I don't want to I don't want to say anything. I think. I think they're just finding their feet.
Speaker 1: I think as older people moving.
Speaker 2: People they've met. I want to clarify that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I think moving at any age, but especially if you're kind of older and established, and then you've got to move into a new group. And those people are older and established and had probably been friends like people in Jackson for one hundred years, and now they've got new people coming in.
Speaker 2: Totally yeah, and I think that is that. Yeah, you're breaking into a whole new social circle. And their friends in Jackson were so cute. I really love their friends in Jackson.
Speaker 1: So they were like, well, go come up north and see y'all. Oh, I believe it.
Speaker 2: If Ivy and Frank Alli are listening to this podcast, please come visit me.
Speaker 1: Do you How did you feel about Parker Posey, our Mississippi girl and how great she did a white lotus with that amazing accent.
Speaker 2: I loved it, Okay, I will say though, and I am probably just betraying how a how little time I've spent in Laurel, Mississippi, But how you know how long I've now been back up in New York. At first, I was like, what is that? What Parker, what is that accent you're doing? And then I went and watched some videos of people from Laurel and it turns out she was absolutely spot on, and so now I retreated. But I did think from the moment I watched it, I mean, she's I saw a tweet that someone put out and they said, can we get you know, can we get the people at the Academy to please nominate Carrie Koon for Best Actress in a Dramatic Series in Parker Posi for Best Actress in the Comedy.
Speaker 1: That that is right? Yes, that nails it. Yeah, she is.
Speaker 2: Every scene she did. And it's funny too because I think of Parker Posey is so iconic and like in and of but I like forgot that that's who it was like. The character was so believable and so like so many moms I have known throughout the year that I just completely yeah, I completely fell in with her character.
Speaker 1: It was so great. I will say randomly, this is very random, but right before I got on here, I got an email that was you know eight from HBO Matts, and this is like on my personal account not you know, sometimes I get like screeners whatever on the podcast. One this was to my personal account, was like, did you enjoy White Lotus? Would you like to take a survey? I was like, well, yes I would because I love a survey and I get these ones from NBC sometimes, so I don't know if that's a list I was on. So I took a survey about White Lotus and it was like did you watch season one, two, three? Which one did you like best? And it's all about you know now talking about season three and it's all about and every answer I was like, Parker Posi, Parker Posi. Every answer, I was like, the characters were so good, like bring her back, bring her back, and I think, you know, Mike White had told the cast to look at southern charm, get a lot of those North Carolina accents. So when people were saying Parker Posey wasn't so North Carolina, I was like, well, she didn't say she was from North Carolina. She said she lived in Raleigh, but in my mind, she's from Mississippi and moved to Raleigh because she went to you and see your duke or whatever, and that UNC duke thing is so real just living up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I loved it. I was like it was like the two things were like kind of fighting for the soul of that kid. It was like going to have a UNC soul or is he going to have a duke soul? Like which one?
Speaker 1: It was so good, but I just there's so many catchphrases from her. I mean, the one that you know speaks to me to muscles. Now I have to drink myself to sleep. I was like, that's so good. It's like, don't judge me, I'm your mother. I sent that to my kids. We so many times in the last month. Don't judge me, I'm your.
Speaker 2: Mother, my partner and I now just anytime something surprising happens, it's Piper No.
Speaker 1: No, oh, who do nammy? I loved it so much. So, I mean, I she and I are the same age and in the same you know, graduating high school class. And she her twin brother, Chris Posey used to date my friend Gigi for years, and my friend Tom Paulson is very good friends with her, and so he goes I could just shoot her a note and see you, she'll do your podcast.
Speaker 2: I said she should absolutely come on this show. But she said the whole thing in a Southern accent.
Speaker 1: I said, oh Tom, I said, that's not that's not how it works. Like you can't just Textpiker Parker Posey and and ask her a couple of my podcasts. He goes, well, sure I could, Well you could, but they're going to send me to her agent, her PR person, her market that HBO max whatever. So now that the show is completely over, I'm going to wait a week or two, and then I'm gonna be like, maybe now that I wouldn't have to go through like HBO channels, maybe just her personally and like her whoever is her booker, maybe I can do it.
Speaker 2: I get the like the since I get from Parker Posey, said Parker pose He does what she wants to do like and everyone else sort of just has to fall in line behind it. And that's probably true for her press people. So yeah, I like your plan.
Speaker 1: I like it too. I mean, if I tell you that Days Dion Confused is a movie that changed my life, and you know she's in it as that mean high school girl, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good, my freshman bitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has him lay on the ground of fry like bacon. Oh my god. I was like, thank god, we didn't have that at Jackson Proupe.
Speaker 2: I'm disappointed Jackson Prep didn't have that. I feel like, you know, at the Washington School in Greenville, we all assumed that Jackson Prop was very much like that.
Speaker 1: No, or maybe I just wasn't cool enough to be bullied. I don't know. That's that's you know what I think. I just answered my own question. Oh my gosh. Well, I'm excited about this other project that you're working on because I love a good true crime murder mystery. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really excited about this one too. It's it's more sort of tonally in line with Devil and the Ditch. It's just a different kind of Mississippi community and a different but it's very much a family drama, and I love a family drama. Gets me back to my soap opera roots.
Speaker 1: So speaking of family drama, since Devil and the Ditch came out and many people and you and I talked about this, would I talk to you about it? And then we talked about it with my own family murder that happened, you know, Yeah, way when my dad was little. But that's on the Patreon guys if you want to hear it. But your cousin was featured very heavily in that, with lots of people having suspicions on him for the murder of your grandmother. And right that your cousin, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad's first cousin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your dad's first cousin. So I just want to make sure I was because it wasn't an uncle, it was a cousin.
Speaker 2: No, but I mean like generationally uncle, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you talk to him at the end of it as sort of like a bonus, and you sat outside because he didn't want you to come in the house because he had a little bit of a warning issue, and he kind of explained to you what it had been like all those years, like to be a suspect that he would say, like, I'm not going to talk about it anymore, but then he would keep talking about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And do you think people around Greenville still think he did it?
Speaker 2: I know they do. They send me dms all the time, like it is, every every three months I get one from somebody in Greenville being like, you know, you know what I just heard he did? And you know, come on, Larson, why didn't you just come out and say he did it? And I'm like, well, I didn't have the actual evidence to do that, but yeah, you can't say that that the town of Greenville has solved the case in the town of Greenville's mind. And you know, I whether they're right or wrong, I guess at this, given the information we have, we might never know.
Speaker 1: We'll never know unless somebody confesses.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, yeah, I know. Well that's another thing. I actually got a dm about this very recently. Someone was like, do you think he's going to confess on his deathbed? And I was like, I do not think that he's going to confess on his deathbed. I don't see that happening. I think if he did do it, and you know, Jerry is still out, but I think if he did do it, he has convinced himself he didn't, right. I think we can get ourselves to believe just about anything that we want, and I think there's a lot of motivation for him to convince himself that something different happened. And he lives in a pretend land anyway, you know, he does in the same world that.
Speaker 1: You and I live in, does he have like friends, he still goes to church? Does anybody like seem but says like at the grocery store, he still.
Speaker 2: Goes to church. He has a couple of friends. I think it's more people who sort of look after him than actual, you know friends the way we think of it. But he does still have you know, he still has some people who look after him.
Speaker 1: And how old he is?
Speaker 2: Seventy for Oh, okay. I have called him a couple of times to check in. He'll send me text messages at like two am, sometimes usually having to do with the Libertarian Party in Greenville.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure that's live and kicking in Greenville. The Libertarian Party. I'm sure that's. Yeah, he's the head of it.
Speaker 2: If it sort of tells you anything about the groundswall of support that they have. But yeah, So, like I'll hear from him occasionally, and you know, I feel like I don't like the idea that anybody is sort of marooned socially.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, he was.
Speaker 2: He was kind enough to be honest with me for this project, and so I feel like I should be kind enough to you know, check in on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I think you handled it perfectly, and I think that Yeah, a lot of people just think he did it and there's no other choice. And again, you know, once he once he is no longer with this. You guys may go through that house and find something, you know, if if you get a get an excavator in there. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought of going through that house is terrifying, but.
Speaker 1: Also fascinating, I know. Okay, Well tell everybody where they can follow you and find out more about of course Devil in the Ditch Doctor Miracle and the new one under the Yazoo Clay, and then of course the new one that's going to come in September. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yes, please go ahead and subscribe to the bench Vanishing of Janis Rose. And yes you can find under Yazoo Clay wherever you get your podcast. It's Apple Spotify, iHeart, and you can follow me on all the socials at This is Larison Larison. You guys.
Speaker 1: If you ever wonder about an interesting Southern name, Laryson Campbell is a good one. Thank you, a good one. Had a conversation yesterday with a podcaster Molly McLear and she said from Boston and she lives in La and she said at the end we were talking, she because I just, you know, I understand, like it's Mary Pay, but this was we weren't recording, and she says, but I'm just so interested. Why because it really sounds like like a roller Derby name or like a drag name that like I'm made up and it's like an entendre with the pay and e. She's like, I'm dying to know about it. I was like, oh God, I wish it was that fun.
Speaker 2: I really wish now that you did roller Derby, because that is a.
Speaker 1: It really is. I'm not tough enough or even roller skates by knocking me over? Are you kidding? But no, it was like and so I, you know, I said, let me just break it down for you. In the South, you know a lot of people will take a maiden name or a middle name of my dad and then that's where it comes from my grandfather, George pank Gosser. If they had a bunch of boys all all down the road, George pan Gosser, my dad, you know, had his third kid. I assume he thought it would be his last. And he was like, well, I guess I'm not going to have a boy. So I got to throw in pain and that's how I got it. And I didn't like it, and I didn't like it then and I don't like it now and I have to explain it every day in my life. But it's my name is She's like fascinating. I mean she was fascinated. I'm trying to find the audio my sisters and I did, my sister's and my mom and I did. We were coming back from the beach and in the car we just recorded all the double Southern names that we could think of, and I put it on my Patreon. Is like, it mean a terrible audio. We're in the car, but I mean it's it's like thirty minutes of us just throwing out double names for people to understand.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, I've actually got some really good ones if I can add them onto the pile. My best friend growing up Mary Winston. Yeah, another really good friend Ellen Douglas, and another and then my cousin was and Dyer, which I think all like really great. All follow the same pattern of women's name first, yea family name.
Speaker 1: Second yeah, I said a lot of it is and something Mary something, and I was like, you know, we know Anne McCaslin, we know, and she's like, what I mean, she just could not, but she was. She was like, I'm always so interest to learn these like regional things, and I was like yeah, and a lot of.
Speaker 2: People like they'll like do a satire of a Southern sorority girl and it'll be like Mary Claire or like Mary Mary Susan, And no, that's not the real that's not the real South, the real South. You got to have the family name.
Speaker 1: Second, Yeah, you got to have that weird middle name that people think is your last name and just call you Mary, even if you explain it and they still call you Mary, and then you go, you know, we're probably by it. Yeah, yeah, I mean I think Mary Larison or Ann Larison would be a great name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Larison. As these things go, Larson is my middle name, so yeah, I have. My first name is Alleen, so it's Allen Larison Campbell. I was named for my grandmother, whose first name was Allen and last name was Larison.
Speaker 1: So well, my sister is named Finny pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My grandmother's name was Elizabeth Finnie, so my sister n Finny Elizabeth, you know. And then my sister Tay is named after my mom's maiden name, which was Taylor. So she's Tay.
Speaker 2: That's l Tay is a nickname for Taylor.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because you know, Taylor is such a popular name now and it doesn't occur to me at all that Tay's name is Taylor ever, even though it I mean legally it's not anymore. She legally changed it to Tay Cosser Morgan. But instead of Margaret Taylor cost her. I mean, it's anybody says Tay and then they say that Tay for like a nickname for Taylor. It doesn't even like put together to me that that's my sister's name.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. Yeah, I love I love the style. I love naming people after people and you know, the family and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I tell my friends, you know, when they were all, you know, having babies, and a lot of them have babies way before me. I was always like, just think about it, just think about the name. If you think they're ever gonna move, just I'm here to tell you. Yeah, it's rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a double name. I know. I know. And actually one of my friends recently had could and she was like I just I really want to call her by her middle name, and I was like, please, don't, don't, don't, don't do not do it, like I know you don't think it sounds it's pretty when you read it all out. But it will make her life easier if she doesn't have to have a separate name at the doctor's office.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it'll life somehow. Informs It'll say, like for you, it would say like Alien Laris and Campbell, and then it would say nickname, yeah, and then you could put laris and as your nickname.
Speaker 2: They don't they don't look at that. They don't care. They just see the first one and they're just like Alane, which is you're like And then I don't hear them when they call me in the waiting room I.
Speaker 1: Had yesterday in the waiting room at the doctor's office. I heard Mary Mary, and this lady hopped up and walked in. They said, are you marry Gilbert? She goes, oh no, She walked back, and I go, I guess I'm Mary Gilbert here I am. It's not my name.
Speaker 2: I literally plaining double names to you now on the way.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Is I'm the doctor's office, not going to see you. It's one of those once a year doctors. I was like, I don't care. That's fine, but I have been coming here for twenty four years and you still don't have it right. But that's okay. Both my children here, but it's fine. Everybody follow Larison Campbell. She is a wonderful podcaster. She is a real life journalist and she's serious business you guys, but funny at the same time too.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It is always so much fun coming on your show.
Speaker 1: So this is a bonus episode. People love when I talk to podcasters back from my paint in the pod day, so I love it when I have a podcaster that I know. I'm like, let's come on, let's talk podcast.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't hang up, thanks guys, all right, ads not read by me Mary Payne don't necessarily reflect the views of pink Shade. If you'd like to listen to ad free, you're going to go on over to super cap or Patreon, and you can find the links to pink Shade Prime at pinkshadepodcast dot com.